Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Epilogue - 02/12/12

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Epilogue - 02/12/12

Post by PML »

Whisper of a Distant Dawn

Author- PML

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

Category- CC ALL

Rating- Mature

Summary- This story starts out right after Alex’s death, midway during the episode It’s Too Late and It’s Too Bad. Our heroes are shattered by the event, broken into warring camps. Isabel wants to escape. Michael worries over an increasingly distraught Maria. Max wants the whole issue to die down lest they draw too much attention. Tess wants Max.

Liz simply wants the Truth.

Be careful what you wish for.

A/N- So what do you do when you have a horrible amount of writer’s block? When you have just finished a story you loved and have had your other stories on long hiatus, only now they don’t seem to flow so well. That is the state I am currently in. Both IDS and Citadel have stalled. The ideas come, but not to the screen. For those of you following End, that one seems fine. Should have a part up this week hopefully. The others, just don’t know. I will finish them. I know where I am going. Just getting there….

So instead I am going where my muse is taking me. Hopefully some of you will enjoy it.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn Prologue

Tess flicked through the metal pages of the Book. She stared at the picture of herself.

It was amazing how realistic it looked. A damned good job if you assumed only a genetic profile to guide you. She smiled as she touched the flowing curls of her hairstyle. Yep, amazingly good call that one.

She turned the page. Now for the second part of the plan.

They didn’t really need for Isabel to go through with it. If she did, cool. If she didn’t, well it was enough that she and Max did the deed.

He was almost ready. She had primed him well, setting up him psychologically to fall for her. The trick had been learning how to win him over. Learn how to get him to first trust and confide in her.

That had been hard.

Too bad her mind control powers didn’t work on the other hybrids.

Tess yawned. She’d had a late last night, and she’d been sort of dreading the next stage of the plan. Because now it was getting to the do or die stage.

No going back Miss Harding.

Only…..

There was a knock on her door. “Hey, we weren’t able to catch Gladiator the other night. I got it renewed, you said you wanted to see it.”

Tess looked up at Kyle. Her heart pounded slightly she saw him. Why hadn’t they asked her to seduce him? Or Michael?

Why did it have to be Max?

Oh. Yeah. He was the Prince.

Right.

Silly question.

Still….

“Sure, let me dressed.” She flashed him a smile as swirled in her night shirt, once one of his. It easily drifted above her upper thighs, giving him a good look.

But the passion that had been there was gone, the desire she had felt pulsing from him in Vegas was completely gone.

Kyle just rolled his eyes, “Either that or I need to close the shades. I swear some of them probably hang out peeping on you. And you give them such a show!” He walked out the room.

Probably getting refreshments ready.

Yeah. They hybrids were resistant. The humans not so much.

Kyle Valenti was now the type of brother he would be if he’d had a hot sister. Protective as hell.

It took a few moments to realize she was crying.

Kyle had really loved her. Still really loved her.

Tess quietly got dressed and wiped the tears from her eyes. No need to make Kyle wonder what had made her so weepy all of a sudden.

She looked back on the golden book, still open to her and Isabel’s pregnant forms.

Tonight. That Liz would be far away would help matters considerably. Tess didn’t really fully understand how deep that bond between them was. She had spent time working away at it, but first Bonds, just like first loves always leave a mark.

Tess knew that very well herself.

Almost over.

Tonight. At the Observatory, just like she had planned.

Kyle turned off the lights and started the movie. He was sitting in his father’s chair, while she was alone on the couch. A week ago he would have been by her side in a moment.

Tess softly said, “Kyle, do you believe in fate?”

Kyle made a disgruntled sound. “I try not to think about it too much. And the last time I started talking about Buddhism you swore you’d make me think I was a desert rat if I tried again. So, can I plead the Fifth?”

“Yeah,” She giggled slightly. Kyle’s arguments might have gone over better if he actually knew more about the religion he claimed to belong to. “Sorry, I asked. Let’s just watch the movie.”

“You don’t need anything? You’re not cold or?”

Tess smiled sadly, “No, I am fine. And we should hurry, I have something to do later.”

“A date with Fearless Leader? If ever he pushes you too hard…. Let me know. I don’t know what he said to Isabel this morning, but it took me a good fifteen minutes to cool her down. She took Alex’s death hard, and well, you know with Liz and Max and….”

“Kyle?”

“Yeah?”

“Turn on the movie, okay? I just need to drown it out for a little bit. Only, could you sit with me? I hear the starting battle is intense and….”

Kyle walked over to her, “Anything for you, Tess. I would do anything.”

And once he would have.

What would he say if he knew the truth? About the plan?

They watched the movie.

-------
Liz

Liz sat waiting for her cab. She was leaving a bit early. Partly so that she wouldn’t be late. Partly to make sure she went through with it.

This had to be one of the more extreme things she had ever done. Sure she had faced off against foes both human and alien. But never this alone.

No one truly knew where she was headed. And there was a tiny part that just wanted to flee. That wanted to leave this whole horrible sordid situation behind her.

But Alex, his cheerful face so full of life would appear in front of her eyes. Life cut short because she and Future Max tried to play God. Tried to alter fate to suit them.

Only the new future looked so much bleaker than the other.

And she was headed off to a foreign country on a mission to find out what and where Alex had been.

Alone.

Once she had always had back up. Once she’d had friends and someone she had thought might be more.

Now she was alone. One friend was dead, the other broken, and the one who she had thought would be her One turned out to be someone else’s.

Destiny.

How she hated that word.

And so she waited.

-----
Max

Max stared as Liz got into the cab.

It was truly and fully over.

She wasn’t even his friend anymore.

“I guess that’s just the price I have to pay….” echoed continuously in his head.

The cab’s engine sputtered and died as it tried to pull away. Smoke came out of the front of the car.

Liz hopped out and got right into his face and hissed, “I bet you think that’s funny, Max. But I will find a way. You are NOT stopping me.”

Max kept his face calm. The cab had been easy to rig. The driver had not been keeping up on maintenance, a little alteration here, a little there…..

Liz’s voice was still calm as the driver was now looking at his car with a look of utter woe. “You have now ruined a man’s whole day. Maybe hurt his chance to make his rent. Like you did with Valenti. You may like to think you have done us nothing but good service, but Max I have to tell you that we poor humans have had to put up with a lot of unusual crap since we joined.” She paused, “And thank you for saving me, but lately…”

“Lately things haven’t been as good. Yeah.” He looked over at the cab driver who was looking at his engine while talking on his cell phone. “Look, I am sorry It just has been a long and bad day. For me….” Max gave a bitter laugh, and remembered Lonnie’s statement.

”You are no King. You are nothing but a self centered little boy!”

Likely Isabel would agree. Although fortunately his own sister hadn’t tried to kill him.

Yet.

Liz fumbled around with her own cell phone.

Max lightly touched her shoulder, now careful. “Liz if you have a bit of time, let me help this guy out and I will take you to the airport myself.”

Liz nodded, looking up at him suspiciously, “Why? You think it’s a waste of time and dangerous to boot.”

Max smiled sadly at the woman who even now still held his heart, even if she probably hated him. “Because despite what I said, I am still your friend. And…. And you were right. You were there when I needed you, and I haven’t been there for you. Not like I should have been.” He shook his head, “I still disagree with you. But that doesn’t mean I can’t help you a little. So….”

Liz looked at him quizzically, “Okay. But straight to the airport. I do not want to miss my flight.”

Max nodded, feeling oddly a little lighter. ‘Fixing’ the car was a snap, although he did point out some obvious maintenance issues to the driver.

And they were off to deposit Liz on a trip alone to Sweden.
Last edited by PML on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 am, edited 23 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Pro - 01/17/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading along.

mary mary- Thanks. That is what I am hoping. Both that the block goes away, and that my readers will still be there.

begonia9508- Thanks. Oh, I do believe I will be making a few changes. Some of them should be obvious by the end of this part. Others.... I don't think you will see them coming at all.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Yes, this was one of the more painful sections of the story. Hopefully, this will be less so. Eventually.

Ellie- Thanks. Just a few minor changes here and there. :lol: Some of which you won't see for a part or five.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 1

Max

Max was driving toward the airport when he made up his mind.

He turned the Jeep around.

“Max, you promised!”

“I did. And we are going to the Airport. But I am not letting you go alone. I need to stop at my bank, move money from my savings into my checking…. That sort of thing. One of my branches isn’t too far from here.”

Liz smoothed the hair away from her face, “But I don’t have time!”

Max looked over at Liz briefly, a small smile on his face. “You gave yourself three hours to get to the airport. Unless there is a major security problem we have plenty of time. But I am not letting you do this alone.”

“Max…. You believe Alex killed himself. Why are you doing this.”

Max was silent for a little bit. “I haven’t changed my mind on that Liz. I still think that based on what I read that something went wrong with Alex. We may never know what or why. But he drove that car into that truck.”

“Oh, just let me out of the jeep and….”

Max pulled over. “If that is what you want. But Liz. You can not stop me any more than I can stop you. Where you go, I go.”

Liz reached for the handle of the Jeep and opened the door. She stopped before getting out, “Why are you doing this, Max? I thought you were trying to keep a low profile. If you go too, well it will just add to the furor over it.”

Max was quiet for a moment. His voice was soft but full of pain when he began to speak once more, “I can’t lose anyone else, Liz. I mean, I have already lost you in the way I truly wanted, but…. You are still a friend, and that seems to be all you want. But today. Today I did something cruel.” He looked away, “I never thought I would understand how Lonnie felt. How she could kill her brother. And now I think I know. If Zan acted like I acted today…. If he was like that all the time, acting like a tin pot king….. I can see why they killed him.”

Liz put her hand on his arm, “Max…. I don’t know what you did, but Isabel loves you. She’ll forgive you. Once you apologize anyway. And she’ll likely want a little groveling too.”

Max looked over, his eyes fully engaging hers. “I don’t know Liz. I crushed her. Have you ever looked into someone’s eyes as you crushed their spirit? I don’t know if things can ever go back to the way they were before.”

Liz flushed and looked away. Her voice was small, “Maybe not. I…. Come on Max. If we are going to do this, we should hurry. And wait. Do you have a passport?”

“A quick drive home. I promise we won’t miss your flight.”

Liz said quietly, “Our flight.”

Max looked over at her and smiled. They did not talk as he rapidly drove home.

Max leapt out of the Jeep to quickly grab a change of clothes and his passport. Luckily his mother and father weren’t there yet.

Isabel was. She simply stared at him from the family room couch with a look of hate.

Before he left he stopped and looked at her. The two of them quietly staring at each other.

Isabel’s voice was harsh, “So chasing down Liz? Going to drag her back kicking and screaming?”

Max’s voice was stiff, “I am sorry, Isabel. I wish things could be different. Wish we could just erase this last year and do it all over.”

“Sorry, Your Majesty, real life doesn’t give you do-overs.” She reached over and began painting her nails. “What? No need to wait on me. I am going NO WHERE remember? Probably because of my deep seated drug problem. Say ‘Hi’ to Liz for me when you begin to pull her back. Just try not to bruise her too badly. That might cause talk.”

Max let out a weary sigh, “When I get back, we all need to talk. We all lost someone special to us. And I think we are vulnerable now in a way we weren’t before. Look at us. We are all at each others throats.”

“And whose fault is that?” Her voice was completely unconcerned.

Max nodded, “Mine.”

Isabel looked up at him in shock.

Max looked her deeply in the eyes, “I am not completely to blame. But I am the leader. I let it all spiral out of control. I haven’t been a good leader lately, I…. Look, Liz is waiting for me. I need to get her to the airport. Just, while I am gone, don’t just sit here and be alone with it. Others are hurting too.”

“Airport?” She looked at his bags. “I knew she was going somewhere, but…. Max, what are you doing?”

“I am going with her,” he mumbled. “We can’t lose anyone else, Is.”

“Certainly not Liz Parker,” she said sarcastically. “Does Tess still know you still carry a torch for Liz?”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Max fidgeted a little under Isabel’s scrutiny.

“You two have been close since Prom. I mean didn’t you all decide that you’d give Tess a chance and that Liz was firmly in the past? Or has the universe completely flipped about in the last twenty four hours?”

Max nodded, “You are right, I will have to call Tess about this. She deserves to know. And hopefully she can watch over the Sherriff and Kyle.” Max looked away, “I don’t know if Michael has spoken to Maria or not, but if you could make sure she’s okay? And Mom and Dad, keep them safe.”

Isabel said softly, “You are serious about this. What did Liz tell you?”

“Nothing. She told me nothing new.” Max looked away, his voice carrying a trace of self-loathing, “I tried to stop her. Just like I did with you. Only she kept resisting me. Told me I couldn’t order her around like I do you.”

Isabel just glared, “Good for her. You have too much leverage on me. But I….”

Max waved his hands apologetically, “Please let me finish.”

Isabel closed her mouth and kept her expression neutral.

“Do you remember when I went off to New York with Lonnie and Rath? Did I ever tell you some of the things she said to me to get me to go?”

“No, you never did give me the reason you abandoned the two you should have trusted to go off with those losers. I mean we never tried to kill you.” She muttered, “Yet.”

“That is exactly it. I am becoming Zan. I have already alienated Michael. And now you hate me.” He looked at Isabel hoping for some sign he was wrong.

He did not get one.

Isabel’s voice was harshly sarcastic, ‘You honestly think I am going to kill you? Or that Michael would? Get over yourself Max. You aren’t worth the hassle.”

“Right. Just watch over everyone while I am gone. And know that I am sorry, I am sorry for what I said. For what I said I would do.”

“Right, so I can go to San Francisco after all then? No? Well then what do we have to talk about?” She gave him a dismissive wave.

Liz walked into the room, “Max, we need to get moving. Oh, uh hey Isabel. Sorry to interrupt. Um, I can come back in a few minutes, but we really need to go.”

Isabel walked past Max, not giving him a glance and gave the smaller shocked girl a hug.

Max watched Liz back away slightly after a moment. “Um, thanks, but why?”

Isabel’s voice was broken and full of emotion, “For doing what I am to weak to do. If you find anything, if you need anything…. Please. Let me know.”

“Isabel I thought…. I wasn’t blaming you. I wasn’t blaming any of you.” Liz looked directly into Isabel’s eyes.

“I know. But I, I wasted so much time Liz. I thought, I always thought he would be there for me. He…. He was Alex, you know? He would always be there. And I,” Isabel was in tears now, “I loved him so much, Liz. I never told him, but I loved him so much.”

Liz held on to Isabel.

Max just watched and blinked away a few tears. Some for his fallen friend, and some for the pain for his sister. But he was guiltily aware that some of the anguish he was feeling was the loss of his sister. He might have really lost her.

Max closed his eyes.

Things needed to change. He needed to change. To recover what he had lost.

Looking at the two women standing before him, he realized just how far he had fallen in such a short time. Both of them had loved him. Both of them were gone. The love gone.

Evaporated.

But why?

“Because you are no King but a spoiled self indulgent little boy!”

‘Thank you Lonnie. Thank you for telling me what was happening to me before I got too far. Now to repair the damage your brother never got the chance to.’ Max cleared his throat, “We really should go.”

Liz nodded and backed away from Isabel. “I will be back. And I will found out why. Because, know this Isabel…. He loved you. Loved life. There is no way he would throw that away. Not when he had finally gotten you. Something happened, and I will know what it was.”

Isabel nodded to Liz. She turned her gleaming eyes to Max, “If you ever loved me, Max, you will protect her and make sure she does just that. Because, unless, “<sob>. ”Unless I accept that Alex hated me, that I was too much for him, he would never have killed himself.” She started poking him in the chest, “You say you are a king, well where is your Justice? Where is your Protection of those who support you?”

Various excuses came to his mind, almost tripping off his tongue. But he held himself back. “I will do what I can Isabel. And do what I must to find out the truth. But you will have to accept what we find Isabel. Just as Liz will. But I will protect her and make sure she can do what needs to be done.”

Isabel nodded. “One more thing Max. When you find out who did this. Find out what happened. I want to be involved in bringing them down.” A darkness flashed across her face. A resemblance of Lonnie perhaps, but this was much darker and stronger. Vilandra? It didn’t matter. He recognized it.

He wanted to call it his alien half. But he could sense that that was only half true. It was as much a part of him. A part of the man who had lived in a dangerous political atmosphere and done things he might have wished he hadn’t had to do. She had lived there too.

Max just nodded, “Come on, Liz. We need to go.”

Max could feel Isabel’s eyes follow them. And he could for many miles after they had left.

Max shivered. Had he waited too long? Did he still have time to recover from this disaster?

Or had he failed already before he had truly begun?

He glanced over at Liz, who was lost in thought. And a warmth flooded into him.

Sure she wasn’t ever going to be what he wanted and needed her to be. But by his side…. He felt like he could do anything. Face anything.

And with a slightly buoyed spirit. He drove them both to the airport.

------
Isabel-

Isabel sat furiously on the couch. She needed to do something. Needed to be active.

But what to do next? Tess wasn’t answering her phone. That didn’t always mean anything. Tess had a habit of turning her phone off when she wanted to focus on something. It was basically her way of saying leave me alone.

There were a few household tasks that she cold focus on. The spice rack in particular was starting to demand her touch. And then there was her CD collection…..

Isabel stared at the ceiling. And picked up the phone. The odds the flighty girl needed anything from her was slight. Particularly now with the rift between the humans and hybrids.

But she had said she would watch out for them.

Her hair stood up on end when she heard the lack luster voice on the other end of the phone.

“Hello?” Maria said, sounding like she was a few moments from utter despair.

“Uh, hi. It’s just me Isabel. Everything going okay?” Isabel bit her lip. Her relationship with Maria was a strange one, sort of in transition from the antagonistic one from last year. But still not really friends.

To be honest, Isabel could have said the same about Liz.

“I don’t suppose you have seen Michael? He was supposed to meet me here and take me to get this printed…. Oh, never mind.”

Isabel’s mind was in a whirl. The girl sounded… broken.

Right now Isabel only had to look in the mirror to see what that looked like. Maybe she wouldn’t be able to cheer Maria up. But maybe they could commiserate?

And if Maria was doing some sort of project….. Isabel’s fingers itched. Something to get out of the house, something to DO.

“I am on the way.”

“WHAT? Isabel, you don’t have to….”

“Stay where you are, I have mom’s sedan today. You sound like you have a project to do.”

“Yeah, it’s a collage for Alex in the Yearbook and….”

“And you asked Michael for help? Girl, this is more my sphere of excellence. SO just stay. You can always yell at Michael later. That’s what he’s for right?”

“Isabel, I don’t know….”

“See you in a few minutes. “ Isabel hung up the phone.

She was so full of manic energy that NEEDED to be channeled. Something to do with Alex would probably make her cry, sure. But she needed to do something.

Anything.

So that she would be ready when Liz found out what had happened to Alex. So that Isabel would be able to bring the hammer down on whoever or whatever had harmed her beloved.

She had wasted so much time. But still, they were young. There should have been time for her to make up for her mistakes. She had finally realized what she had and….

Someone had taken it from her. And that someone would pay.

Pay and pay large.

Isabel grabbed the keys and flew out the door to the car.

--------
Liz

They were standing in line to get Max’s ticket when the call came. When her plans were shattered.

She held the cell phone close to her ear, “You are sure?”

“Yes, three people in my office confirmed it. That building was destroyed in 1994.”

“Thank you very much.” She hung up the phone and pulled Max out of line.

He looked at her strangely, “What’s wrong Liz.”

Liz couldn’t help it, tears of frustration began to roll down her face. “Alex was never in Sweden, Max. That was the Swedish Embassy. One of the buildings that Alex had prominent slides of? It was torn down years ago.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. I remember him leaving, and I know Isabel was happy to have him back.”

“My plan won’t work Max.” Liz walked over to grab her luggage, thankfully not checked in yet. “What good it is to be where he never was? It all ruined, my plans. I need, I need to start from scratch.”

Both of them walked out to the Jeep.

And Max began driving them home.

As they neared the Roswell city limits, Liz touched his arm. “Please. I am not ready for it all yet. I need to think. Need to, need to…..” Liz began to cry.

She didn’t remember the next few hours. Max must have driven to a roadside restaurant, because they had food. And he must have calmed her somehow, because she felt better. She felt almost calm now.

Almost.

They were parked by the old radio tower, out where they had found the orb. And the beginning of the end of their relationship. For the orb had brought Tess, and once she had arrived. Once she had told the hybrids their destiny, it had never really been the same.

Max looked over at her and smiled, “I want to thank you Liz. For waking me up to what an ass I have become over the last few months. I think I was really getting to the point I would have lost you all forever.”

“Max, I….” She just looked at him. At the way the shadows played along his body. At how well he fit his clothes. He mind drifted to the body beneath….. She shook her head to clear it. But already she could feel her body buzzing again. Butterflies the size of jumbo jets were cruising around her stomach.

Max’s eyes gleamed and he looked off into the sky. “It almost seems the same. The sky, the air, the stars….. To that night when we knew for certain that we were meant to be.”

Liz knew where this was headed. It was an echo of what they had felt before. Before it had all gone so very wrong for them.

“I am not ready,” She whispered to herself. But even as she said the words, she knew she was lying. So she reached into the back of the jeep and pulled out one of the sleeping bags Max kept in the back. And she opened it and laid it down.

“Liz?” Max asked, but in his voice was a catch that seemed to ask so much more…. One that went beyond his just saying her name. One that made her believe that he truly could be hers in some way.

She began unbuttoning the top portion of her blouse. “This isn’t going to solve anything Max. It’s just going to make things hopelessly confusing.”

“Liz? Are you sure?”

“No.” She turned to face him, “But I have been fighting against this since October. Since I had to pretend to sleep with Kyle to push you away.” She saw the mix of confirmation and confusion in his eyes, “I will explain later. God, we have so much to talk about. But I have been running so hard…. Well I am done. I won’t run from the truth about Alex, and I am not about to keep running from you. And…. I want this Max.”

“Liz, I….” He was removing her blouse.

Her fingers were on his shirt. Tugging it over his head. So beautiful.

Max looked at her and said softly, “So beautiful.” He breathed in a couple of times deeply. “Okay, Liz. This is, this is really messed up. I want this so badly, but you are right. This will not solve anything. Maybe we should just….”

Liz kissed him. As they both scrounged for air a few moments later, “Just feel Max. Tonight…. Both of us, we just need to let go. To just let go…..”

-------
Tess-

Tess stood alone at the Observatory.

It would be the logical place for Max to head. Part of the program that had been set on him would make him want to be away from most people. Someplace he could commune with the stars.

But he wasn’t here. She could feel the weave work its magic, could sense that the program was working.

But he simply wasn’t here.

Thoughts of all the work that would need to be done to set it all up again. Not just to get him ready, but to make sure that she was ready too. Also the local signs that would trigger if she were successful.

She looked up at the constellation Ares. Why they had chosen that particular sign for their King, Tess wasn’t sure. Just that they had.

And when a falling star flew in front of the Constellation they would know that an heir had been born.

Tess chuckled softly. Not going to happen tonight apparently. More time for her to spend with Kyle. Not a bad thing.

A flash seared across Ares.

No.

Not possible.

Liz should be in Sweden. And Liz would be the only other vessel with enough Iliaster to bear his seed. Well, Isabel too. But that wasn’t going to happen.

But if something had happened. If Liz were here…..

Yes.

The heir could very well have been conceived.

Only not by her. Not by Tess Harding.

Well, one ticket home canceled.

Just as well. She was getting tired of plan A anyway.

Time for plan B.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 1 - 01/26/11

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. The very last part might surprise some of you folks out there. Don't worry things will get better.

Begonia9508- Thanks. Yep, Plan A has gone well so far. Why shouldn't she expect it to keep working? It did on the show. Isabel has many fine qualities, mercy isnt really one of them.

Ellie- Thanks. Yeah. Things are about to get complicated.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Trying to bring back some of season one Max's leadership quality, as for Tess. Well I suspect that Plan B will cause trouble. And so might plan C or D or E or....

mary mary- Thanks. Wish me luck.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. The thing about Max, is there has to be some reason he changes direction. Oh, most of what was seen on the show happened exactly as it was seen. But don't expect the why of it to remain the same.

Carrie- Thanks. I am glad things are finally getting better. Here is hoping that 2011 is a better year for all of us. I miss Kiss too, and lets not forget a few well deserved nominations for you as well my friend.

Zanieri- Thanks. I never understood why Max let Liz drive away. Cars breakdown all the time. All I can say is that Plan B is different from what most of you likely expect. And yes it will cause trouble.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 2

Michael

Michael quickly entered Maria’s house. They only had thirty minutes, but still should be able to get to the print shop in time for most of what she needed.

He had forgotten. Got caught up in an old hockey game….

Michael winced. He had let himself be distracted when Maria really needed him. Why couldn’t he ever seem to change enough? He knew he cared for her, he certainly could see she cared for him.

Hell, he could feel the pain she felt when he disappointed her. And while the anger made her hot, the disappointment usually just hurt.

He frowned, he was trying. He was. It was just so hard. So very hard to change.

He looked over at the girl at the table, “Look I am sorry I am late and…. Isabel?”

Isabel turned to face him. Her face was blotchy from recent tears, but her eyes were bright and focused. “Nice to see you finally show up. To late to help as usual, but still you did come.”

“Where is Maria?” Michael said, looking around for her.

“Relax, she’s just taking a little nap. She has taken this hard. Harder than I thought.” Isabel looked thoughtfully towards the living room.

Michael could see Maria sleeping on the couch, a happy little smile on her face. He rubbed his eyebrow ridge in confusion.

Maria had taken it very hard indeed. Just looking at her, looking through the defenses she held so lightly, you could see she was almost broken. “Alex was her best friend. She really needed Liz, but Liz is….”

Isabel raised her hand, “Liz is doing what she must. What we should be doing.”

“How can you say that? She’s drawing too much attention and, damn it, Maria needed her. You have no clue how much Liz bailing on her nearly broke her.” Michael looked away. He had been afraid that his being late, of his flaking out on something for her would be the last straw. That his lovely Maria would begin to shatter like his sort of sister Laurie had.

“Michael…. We haven’t been that good for them. And I am not just talking Alex. We haven’t been very good friends. Maria was completely shocked that I wanted to help her. She knew how much I cared for Alex, but apparently approaching me for help…. God, I had no clue how much I used to scare her. I mean I did it deliberately at first, but some of it stuck. And she’s been nice to me, for Alex’s sake I suppose. And now, now Alex is gone and….” Isabel began to cry.

Michael held onto her trying to comfort her. There had been a time when he had thought he loved Isabel. And it was true, just not as he thought. He had never vocalized it simply because he knew she had never seen him in that light.

But now with Maria in his life, Isabel was more of a sister. It was funny how much more full his life had become over the last year and a half. The humans had been good for them.

Michael gruffly said to the still crying Isabel, “Sorry about what I said at school today. I mean it is still true. We still need you here, but….”

Isabel chuckled in her tears, “You really need to practice your cheer up routine there buddy. And you should be sorry for what you said. Neither of you or Max have the right to tell me what I can and can not do. And Max…” She turned away and became still.

But even Michael could feel another injury to Isabel laying there.

“What did he do? What did Max say to you?”

Isabel turned back to face Michael, looking him firmly in the eyes. “Not much more than what you said really. Only he told me how he would enforce it. And Michael he meant it. That was the scary part. He meant every word.” Isabel was shaking, “He really would dra-drag me back here if I-I left.”

“He is the King, Isabel. The humans don’t understand. But you have felt it, the past, our past…. It still calls to us. And he is our King.” Michael sighed, “But maybe, maybe we should move on from it. Maybe it is time to think of what we are going to do while we are here.”

Isabel pulled back to look at Michael, “Who are you and what have you done to the real Michael?”

“Isabel….”

“No, I am just surprised.” She cocked her head to the side, “You love her very much. Don’t you?”

Michael just looked at Isabel. It was completely true. He knew it. But to say it, to say it without being sure that he could always be there for Maria. Knowing that at some point, he would leave her.

Isabel smiled, “She loves you too. But then you know that don’t you?”

Michael looked away.

“I saw her.” Isabel laughed in wonder, “We were just talking about Alex, agreeing how special he was…. And that was all it took. One look in her eyes, and I saw her….”

Michael looked back at Isabel, “What do you mean?”

“Michael, the girl is wide open. She doesn’t hide. That must be why you fell for her. Everyone hides, I mean everyone. Alex certainly did. He was willing to let me in, but that is different. Maria doesn’t hide. With your self esteem issues and paranoia, the fact she couldn’t and wouldn’t hide her feelings from you, that must have been a God send. You would just know.” Isabel gave him a small smile and put a hand on his chin, “And there is more.”

Michael tried to back away, “Look this is stupid. I just came by to help Maria. Looks like she doesn’t need it so I am going to go.”

Isabel did not let go. Her eyes turned from wistful to furkious, “No, you are going to stay. I will NOT let you RUIN what you have. I FUCKED up my own life. I won’t let you do that to yourself. I couldn’t live with myself.” She poked him hard in the stomach with each point of emphasis.

“What is wrong with you!”

Isabel’s voice was a furious wail, “I ran out of time, Michael. I pushed him away and by the time I was ready I ran out of time. I can see the tiny threads of you that attach to her. You’ve had flashes, but my guess is she hasn’t. She loves you, but she doesn’t know. And Michael, she needs that. She needs that right now more than ever.”

Michael moved away from Isabel and walked over to Maria. She still had a smile and murmured something in her dream. “She seems fine to me.”

“I put her to sleep. And I changed her dreams.”

Michael turned to face Isabel again, “You can do that? I thought you were just a passenger?”

Isabel shrugged looking at Maria again. “It’s something I learned over the summer. I used to do it to Max when he would have nightmares. I can’t control the dream, but I can,” She looked off into the distance, “I don’t know, channel it somehow?”

“We are getting stronger.”

“Yes.” Isabel reached down and moved a slightly protesting Maria. “Now I want you to sit next to her.”

“What?”

Isabel nodded, her eyes a little wild. “I thought this might be a problem.” She touched him softly at one temple.

Michael felt as the world dissolved around him. “Isabel don’t… do… this…..”

Michael was standing on a familiar rock formation.

It was similar to the rock formation that held the Granolith. Similar to the one he had seen in his fever dreams in the desert.

But that was the only thing in common. For here is was over run in green and silver lichen. Flowers were blooming here and there from fragrant bushes of some familiar but unrecognizable plant.

But it was the crashing surf that told him he was somewhere different.

He walked to the edge of the rock and looked over. As far as the eye could see was greenish blue water. Off in the distance he could see a second smaller moon join the first one in the sky.

“Where am I?”

But he knew. He knew. All of it felt familiar.

This was a dream! He had to wake up!

He stalked back and forth along the ridge trying to focus his mind to break free…..

A voice called from the distance. “Michael? Is that really you?”

He had to focus. He closed his eyes, and….

The voice was closer, pained and desperate, “Please! Please don’t leave me…. Don’t leave me here all alone Michael!”

He looked down at the base of the great rock formation known as Dimaris Rock, and Maria stood there looking up at him. Her sunglasses were in her hands and her body was swathed in a brilliant blue swimsuit.

He looked down at his own clothes. Swim trunks and a shirt.

A day on the beach. She had sent them for a day on the beach?

On Antar?

Michael closed his eyes.

A panting Maria stood in front of him gasping for air. “It is you. I don’t know, I thought I felt you or something. Something tugging at me. There is a cooler with drinks and lunch for us. I am not sure where we are, but somehow I feel safe.” She snuggled up closer to him, “Even safer now that you are here.”

Michael opened his eyes and looked down at his love. And smiled. Why not. Why not take the gift Isabel had given him. Why not try to heal his broken girlfriends heart with a day of happiness on the beach. “Safe huh?”

She just pulled him closer, “Um hmm.”

Michael was chuckling as his plan came to him. He knew this place. Had come here ever day during his youth. Otherwise what he was about to do would be insane.

He picked up Maria and ran towards the edge.

“Michael what are you doing?”

Right as the crossed the edge and began the fall to the water below, he looked her straight in the eyes, and said, “I love you Maria.”

Which pretty much rendered her speechless for the several seconds it took for them to reach the water. After which there was much squealing as the cold water of May bit into both of them.

And they played along the beach.

------
Max

Max disentangled himself from Liz. He stood up and looked down at her body.

He had slept with Liz Parker. He shuddered in remembered delight at their joining. The first time had been a bit of a fun disaster. After they were done Liz had cried and held him so very close.

And told him of the Future version of him who had told her that she would never have what she had just partaken. She had told him everything.

And Max had been so angry, so very angry. Why hadn’t she trusted him? Why had she always run from him. Why, why, why!

She had offered herself, her mind for his perusal. And he had gone into her.

A snip here, a cut there.

Someone had altered Liz. Had not only changed her emotions regarding him, removing the willingness and ability to fight for him, but also had altered her as well.

He didn’t really understand what was happening to her. But along with those cuts and alterations, there were what seemed like blockages inside her head. So very much damage and twisting to his love.

In a moment of clarity he burned it all the way. And the release of it swam through Liz, small sweeping changes.

The look in her eyes as she moved towards him, demanding him, needing him….

They made love a second time and then later a third. Each time he could feel changes inside of her. Becoming both more herself and something different.

He didn’t understand, but knew somehow that this had to happen. That it should have already happened. That it had been stopped and altered. That some other plan had been forced upon them.

And Max was afraid he knew. Was afraid that someone he had come to trust was in truth a traitor.

But that was for tomorrow.

A meteor streaked across the sky, passing in front of the constellation Aries.

Max shivered for some reason. That meant something. He didn’t know what. But it was a warning, a signal of something important.

He looked around to make sure there was nothing that might harm them. For all these problems could wait for tomorrow. Tonight was for them.

They still needed to talk, to discuss everything that had happened. But they would never be separated again. He needed her. It was that simple.

For at some point during the third time, the changes in Liz had allowed her to clear some of the blockages in his own mind. His thoughts felt clearer than they had for months.

He nodded and walked back to the bedding on the ground, noting the skin of his lover gleaming in the starlight. He covered both of them with a blanket and fell into a deep and healing sleep.

-------
Kyle

Kyle sat on the couch exhausted. He had just finished his shift at the local Walmart. If he ever saw a cart again it would be too soon.

To bad he had another shift tomorrow night after school.

His dad needed a job and soon. If this continued too long into summer it would mess with some of his athletic commitments and possibly ruin his chance at a scholarship to collage.

The things they had lost to the alien abyss…..

The door opened and as softly smiling Tess walked through. She threw something at him.

He looked at it. A box of condoms? Huh?

She shrugged, “We might need this. After all, attending to our bodily needs is important, right Buddha-boy?”

“Uh, Tess…. We talked about this….”

She smiled, a slight hint of worry in her eyes. “What if I told you that so much of what has been going on lately has been a lie? Don’t you think you got over me awfully fast? Particularly after Vegas. What was it? Three times just on that one trip. Two of them were quickies, but they still count I think.” She chuckled ruefully, “I was beginning to settle down. Hell, I even made peace overtures to Liz! But then with what happened to Alex, no I got the message. Plan A was still very much in effect. The replacement was failing fast and Prom was the time to move. And so….” She kissed a startled Kyle.

Kyle closed his eyes and began to enjoy the kiss until he remembered that this was Tess, and this was oh, so very wrong. He pulled away. “What are you trying to do Tess? I thought you and Max were going to be together.”

Tess tilted her head back and laughed. “Me? And Max? Oh, I might have been able to bed him, maybe keep him for a short time. But seriously? He would never truly be mine. Even if the baby made him marry me, nope, Parker has her claws much too deep in him. In the end, if he survived he would find his way back to her. And she to him.” She shook her head, “God, some of the programming is wearing off of both of them already. For all I know, tonight could have burst it all at the seams.”

“You aren’t making any sense, Tess.” He could feel his head spinning. And his body beginning to react to her. How had he forgotten how gorgeous she was? How had he forgotten those dreams….. Stolen kisses began to come back to him. Stolen kisses and more. The sound of her moaning his name, the sense of ecstasy and completion as he came inside of her, watching as she came apart beneath him….

He was shaking with suppressed emotion. What was happening to him? “What are you doing to me Tess? What have you done?”

Tess’s eyes were a mix of joy and bitterness, “I am returning what I took away. What I so wanted to keep, but duty called.”

“Max. You needed Max.”

“Got it in one. That is my job, my ticket home. Come home with baby inside or don’t come back at all. And tonight was my big chance. No go.”

Kyle nodded his head, “So I am your second choice. What some sort of back up? I knock you up and you pretend it’s Max’s?”

Tess smiled, “The condoms would defeat that plan don’t you think? No, my dear, you would have been my first choice. You at least have a sense of humor. I don’t know if we will work out, there are no guarantees, but damn it, I at least want to try.” She pulled off her blouse. “So what do you say, Kyle? Do some nice life affirming aerobics? Reduces some internal pressure in both of us? A little relaxation perhaps?” She removed her bra, and pushed one breast up to her mouth kissing it gently. Her eyes never left his.

Kyle’s mouth was completely dry. What he needed to do was to pick her up, carry her to his bed, and make love to her. His hands were already fumbling with the box in his hands, working at the thin cardboard to get at one of the condoms within.

He knew he should resist. But he didn’t really want to.

Tess walked into his grip, her hands encircling his neck, “Make me feel the heavens shake and I will tell you everything. And I promise not to lie. Not anymore.”

He picked her up and she wrapped her still jean clad legs around him. And he carried her to the room that had once been his. And he claimed her.

Slowly.

He wanted to know the truth, so rather than bury himself inside her like he desperately wanted. He built her passion up slowly, until she cried out for him to finish.

And it was worth it. He hadn’t expected the light show at the end, or the flashes of parts of Tess’s life to infiltrate his mind. The whole experience was borderline hallucinogenic.

But the pleasure at the end made it worth it.

And now he would get the truth. One look at her tired eyes, tomorrow.

He would get it tomorrow.

Kyle slept with Tess in his arms. Sated and feeling a sense of completion.

How could he know that underneath the sheen of sweat that covered them both they were shining just ever so slightly?

-----
Alex

Alex pulled the robe around him and left the sleeping woman behind him.

When he had agreed to this so many months ago, he had not reckoned with the sense of being used. Mila had made it sound so easy, so reasonable. What teenage boy would pass up such an opportunity?

He should have said no. But saying no to Mila simply didn’t happen.

Even now she was waiting for him. So very lovely. So very alien.

He looked up at the conjunction of the two moons and sent a prayer to the woman whom he had loved and lost forever. The one who he knew would never have come to him in time. Even that stupid fortune teller had said so.

“Be well Isabel. I still love you. And I wish, I wish things could have been different. I hope you find who you were looking for.” He looked away, a tear in his eyes.

And hurried to his Lady. Her bed would be cold without him.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 2 - 02/02/2011

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. Hope you all enjoy! And thanks to Mt. Gazer who beta'd this part. Which needed it. Badly.

L-J-L 76- Thanks. Tess is usually completely honest when she isnt lying through her teeth! So she will tell Kyle pretty much everythign she knows. It might take a part or two to cover, and she doesn't know everything. Expect a few surprises. I do like happy endings though. Remember that. Because things can get bad in my stories. Very very bad.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. Who has been playing around with our friends will be a big thing in the next few parts. Max has a pretty good guess, I would say. As for the meteor, it IS a sign. Tess believes it signals the birth of the heir. She could be wrong though.

Ellie- Thanks. A warning to you. In the next few parts? Expect surprises.

begonia9508- Thanks. Liz was born on Earth a very happy and human little girl. Expect surprises.

Carrie- Thanks. A lot of what the hybrids believe to be true is completely false planted information. It will all be explained. But it might take a few parts before we get there. Where Alex is and why is part of that information.

mary mary- Thanks. I am working on keeping this one going.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks again for the beta. I have a feeling you are not going to be happy with Alex for a little while.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 3

Liz

Liz sat up and looked around. It was still dark, but she could see a bit under the bright moonlight. She looked over at her lover.

Lover.

How that word rocked her consciousness. It strained her belief and…. No those doubts were gone. That desperate need to flee….

Gone.

She was here and here was where she was SUPPOSED to be. By his side. Forever.

How had she ever not believed that? How had she come to doubt that desperate need, that simple belief in them? Sure there were going to be troubles and misunderstandings. He would hurt her and she him.

She still understood her fleeing the pod chamber. That had made sense to her. She had been so distraught, so caught up in her emotions that she had needed space.

It had hurt Max, she knew. That sudden retreat under his Destiny…. And after she had claimed to love him that very morning.

She had meant to come back. Had meant to talk with Max later after she had calmed down. She had.

The rest of that summer was blurry. She simply could not remember why she had never come back to talk with him. If only to formalize the break. To simply ignore him, to leave him alone after all he had been through….

Liz whispered a prayer for Maria. For her courage and ability to keep Max sane.

Liz was standing in Maria’s living room looking at Maria and Michael. Maria was lying draped against a seated Michael. Both of them were sleeping and seemed happy.

Despite the happiness, Liz could see that Maria was damaged. She had taken Alex’s death hard. Looking at her right now, Liz felt concern for her friend. She seemed so fragile at the moment.

Guilt laced through Liz. Maria had needed her.

Thank heavens that Michael had stepped up to help her. He had changed since they had gotten to know him. And Maria was why. She had made it important enough to him that he had changed enough to save her in turn.

She heard a voice, “Is someone there?”

Liz looked over and saw Isabel coming in from the kitchen. Liz felt a little self-conscious and looked down to make sure she looked presentable….

Only she was still naked.

Oh. When she had done this to help Max she had worn what she had been wearing in the Crashdown. And currently her body back by the Radio Tower was wearing… nothing.

She fled to Maria’s room, desperate to hide. How had she gotten here? Could she leave the same way?

She simply didn’t know.

From the other room she heard, “I know someone is here. And if that’s you Tess, that wasn’t funny.”

Liz reached for the dresser, but her hands couldn’t make contact with it. In fact, she couldn’t really affect anything. She needed to be gone.

Somehow.

Unless…. Yes, it was what her body was wearing. What if she wrapped herself in a blanket? She thought hard for a moment.

Liz sighed and pulled one of the blankets tightly over her. Distantly she could hear a little grunt of disapproval from a still sleeping Max. But his arms tightened around her making her feel safe and…

The blanket surrounded her. It wasn’t much but at least it was something.

Isabel stalked into the room. She stared at Liz. “Alright. There are three possibilities here. One. I am hallucinating. Scratch that. I don’t hallucinate, unless... Two. Tess is involved.”

Liz just looked at the angry Isabel. The girl looked tired and Liz could see the same sort of fractures she had seen in Maria. They weren’t in exactly the same place, but they were as many.

How badly was their little group suffering at the moment? Why weren’t they all coping better?

Me.

‘I am making this worse.’ Liz thought. ‘But something is wrong. And I am right about the fact that Alex didn’t go to Sweden…. I know because….’

Pain wracked her essence. Something was blocking that thought. But merely thinking about why she had KNOWN something was up with Alex's death started a migraine of immense proportions. Why she had been so sure that something was strange about his trip….

Isabel continued saying softly, “Or you really are here. And you are, aren’t you?”

Liz nodded.

“Why can’t you say anything? Did Max stop you from leaving? Did he kidnap you, steal your clothes or….” Isabel's features softened. "No. Not even like he has been lately, would he do that. Liz can you talk?"

Liz opened her mouth and tried to say something. No sound. She could hear but she couldn’t talk. She shook her head.

Isabel nodded herself. “But you can hear me?”

Liz nodded.

“Are you safe?”

Liz nodded.

“But my brother did keep you from going to Sweden?”

Liz held up her hand. How to answer. If she said yes Isabel would be angry with her brother, if she said no, she would be lying and Isabel would probably assume that she was being coerced to lie somehow. She waved her hands, trying to convey how complicated that question was, but nodded.

Hopefully Isabel would understand.

Isabel looked at her. “Okay. So you didn’t go to Sweden. But something happened to keep you? It wasn’t Max?”

Liz smiled and nodded.

“Right. So…. You obviously didn’t come straight home.” Her eyes narrowed in thought. “I actually recognize that blanket, Liz. Max keeps it and a couple of others in the Jeep for when he goes camping or looking for alien artifacts with Michael.” She tossed her hair in annoyance. “They dragged me along a time or two. Not exactly my kind of fun…. But Liz,” She arched her brow, “Are you wearing anything underneath that blanket, because I can’t think of any other reason why you would be holding it so tight around yourself.”

Liz could only blush.

Isabel looked at her and said dryly, “You can’t be serious. You and Max?” She tilted her head in thought, “You couldn’t catch your flight for some reason, went into the desert and….” She arched both brows and stared at the petite girl. “You and my wayward brother….” She inferred.

Liz tried to stop it but her face burned.

Isabel’s jaw dropped, “Oh. My. God.” She shook her head as if trying to clear it. “I honestly did not see that coming.”

Liz looked down at her feet.

“Okay. Not exactly what I needed to picture at four in the morning, Liz. Okay. Well at least it wasn’t Tess.” Isabel smoothed her hair back, “and at least he loves you.” She sucked in her lips processing this new information. “I know she wanted in his pants badly, but damn he was just following her along like a lost puppy. Arrgh.” She rubbed her head, “Alright Liz, why are you here. It certainly wasn’t for that revelation.”

Liz looked up and pointed out to the living room. She walked past Isabel and looked sadly at Maria. She looked over at Isabel and simply pointed.

Isabel sighed and chuckled softly. “Alex was right. I really am a self-involved bitch. Of course you didn’t come here for me. You came here for Maria.” She looked over at Liz, her eyes bright. “She is under my protection, Liz. And Michael’s too I suppose.” Again the out of character self-deprecating chuckle. “More his than mine I am sure. I lost my chance when Alex died. Maybe I will be lucky and find someone.” Isabel started crying softly, “Maybe.”

Liz wanted to hold Isabel. To hug her and let the tall blonde know that she was a friend. To provide some of the comfort for her friends that her anger had denied her.

How many others had she failed in her need for justice?

Suddenly she was gone from Maria’s house and was standing in her own bedroom. Her mother was on the edge of the bed rocking back and forth. On the bed next to her was the note she had left.

‘Oh!’

Her mom would have called her sister and Liz’s friends in Florida. Only Liz had planned on calling when she had gotten too far to stop, to say that she was headed to Sweden. That she needed to check some things involving Alex.

So she stood there and wished she could comfort her mother. Her mother set down the pillow and looked straight through her.

She couldn’t see Liz at all.

Liz turned around and watched as her mother began to look intensively at the board Liz had set up for Alex’s trip in Sweden.

Nancy slammed her hand down hard, “They promised me. They PROMISED ME! I would let them work on her, get her uninvolved in His life and they would let her go. They would keep her safe!” Nancy picked up the letter one more time. “I HATE them.”

But Liz’s mouth became dry from what came next.

The letter disintegrated in her mother’s hand…..

------
Isabel

Isabel stared at the spot Liz had been standing in. Had she been real? She was pretty sure it wasn’t Tess or someone else altering her senses. But she could not be positive.

The door to the house opened and Amy Deluca walked in. She blinked at the lights being on. Her eyes took in Isabel, “Hi, Isabel. What are you still doing here? And what is Maria…” Amy’s eyes caught Maria draped on Michael’s sitting body. All the air seemed to go out of Amy and she staggered to the kitchen.

Isabel rushed over to steady the woman. And to catch the scent of alcohol on her breath. Amy had been drinking? Why?

She helped the staggering Amy to the table.

Amy looked up at her in gratitude. Her words were not slurred. “Thanks Isabel. I must have had more than I thought. I was with Gloria. She’s taking this really hard.” She shook her head and winced, “No one should outlive their children. I certainly didn’t want to. Or I would have gone with Daniel the first time he asked. Or the second...”

Isabel just watched for a few seconds and then asked softly, “Coffee?”

Amy nodded. “But I still can’t believe he just left us. A few grey hairs. I mean he was forty, didn’t look it but that’s what he told me. Everyone gets a little grey. Even you will, Isabel. In maybe ten or twenty years. It’s easy enough to cover up. But no, he had to freak out and pull a whole Peter Pan not aging thing.”

Isabel was heating the water. But listening. This day, things were happening. Moving very fast. She needed to pay attention.

Alex’s death had cracked the world open, and secrets were spilling out. She just wished it could have happened with his life intact. Isabel hugged herself tightly while she stood at the stove. Feeling his loss again.

She had wasted so much time. Had let the mask she had built to protect her, become her. And let an opportunity pass her by.

Amy continued babbling behind her, “I would never have believed him if he hadn’t been able to do things. Things not even Vivian could do. And God, the sex was phenomenal….” Amy blearily looked up at Isabel, “Although I don’t think that’s something I should talk to one of you kids about.” She snickered. “Still his touch made me feel like I was exploding.” She gave a snort, “Trust Maria to find another just like him.”

Isabel was making sure she didn’t stop Amy from her little tirade.

Amy continued, “I caught her and Liz talking. About boys, natural stuff. But their descriptions over ice cream weren’t natural. I tried to subtly steer her away from him. That whole rebel routine definitely isn’t going to help him down the road, no matter where he was born.” Another snort, “And if he truly is a rebel spirit he will probably leave her high and dry. Probably pregnant as well. Well we Deluca women are tough enough for it. He as much told me that he wasn’t going to stay forever. And I, the fool that I am told him that he was good for her now so just let the pieces fall where they may. What a fool I am. I should just save her the heartbreak and pain and pushed him out the door right now.”

Isabel turned around to make sure Amy didn’t get up. But Amy’s head was being propped up by her two hands. The woman wasn’t going anywhere.

Isabel was surprised at the first sob. It sounded soul deep. A sound she could relate to now.

She patted Amy’s arm, “The coffee is almost ready.”

Amy was stuck in her own personal hell. “You damn Antarans. Too damn sexy by half. Why can’t you leave us poor Earth girls alone? Isn’t it bad enough that our own men are such bastards? You don’t need to add to our pain.”

Isabel just stood stock-still. Had Amy really said that?

She had to know, “Tell me about the Antarans. Do you remember more about them?”

Amy peered up at Isabel, a knowing look on her face. “You should know, my dear. You are one of them. You think you are so smart, hiding among us.” She nodded. “But some of us are watching. We are on to you.” She laughed throatily, “So is this where you kill me to protect your dark secret? Or are you just another runaway trying to breathe free?” She waved her hands animatedly while she spoke. “Which is it Isabel? I know with rebel boy. But you and your brother, you still have me confused. So strong and self assured.”

Isabel tried to back away, but one of Amy’s hands grabbed one of hers. The woman was stronger than she looked.

Amy smiled, head now propped precariously on one hand. “Oh, you can’t hide from me dear. Danny told me how to spot you. How to see through the glamour. To see the real you.” She peered deeply at Isabel, “Shadowed but not dark. I simply can’t decide. And you are just a kid. Just a little kid. Like Alex.”

“Alex loved you. Did you know that? He worshiped the ground you walked on. Even as you stepped all over him. He tried to pull away. Gloria told me that.” She nodded, staring hard at the girl. “Told me you had broken his heart more than once, and still kept pulling him in. Did he find out? IS that why your people killed him?”

Isabel couldn’t help the tears now, her voice thick and angry, “My PEOPLE didn’t have anything to do with this. It was, it was an accident.”

Amy was cackling, “You don’t believe that any more than I do. Maria does, but only because she has to. She has to believe it wasn’t malicious or self-sponsored. But I know in my heart that that boy would never have killed himself. And given how he died, he had to have done it himself. Or….” Her voice turned very cold, “Been forced to do it. I know what your people are capable of, Isabel. I know. Danny showed me. He was a poor husband and a lousy father, but in this I think he was right. You can make people do things. Push them into doing self-destructive things. Swear to me it wasn’t you or you will pay!” She added with a fire in her eyes, her hands tightly squeezing Isabel’s.

“Let go, you are hurting me.” Isabel said, as she tried to wrest free. What could she do in a situation like this? Any use of her powers would simply confirm the woman’s suspicions.

“I don’t have that power. And I LOVED Alex. You have no CLUE how much I loved him.”

“Not enough or he wouldn’t be dead.” Amy released her hold bitterly.

Isabel felt her legs collapse on her. That last comment went through all her armor and struck her at the core. It was the reason she had been so defensive against Liz’s allegations. Why she had attacked the slight girl when she had brought up the possibility. Not just that aliens might have been responsible, but that it had been her love that had doomed him.

She felt herself pulling herself into a fetal position. She felt as arms hugged her and held her close.

Distantly she heard a sharp, high pitched, screeching wail.

She ignored it, bound by her tiny world of internal pain.

‘Oh, Alex, why did you leave me? Why did you leave me just as I found you?’

She closed her eyes tight, and for a small blessed time, the world simply went away.

------
Tess-

Tess finished her shower, letting the drops of water slide off her skin. She grabbed her towel and dried her self off.

She was stalling. And she knew it.

She had promised she would tell Kyle everything. And she had meant it.

She still did.

But…..

What would his reaction be to the fact that so much of what they all knew was a lie?

Of course, it was possible that Kyle didn’t know half of it, so really she hadn’t lied to him as badly. But talking to Kyle was just the first step. Valenti would be next as would the other hybrids.

She really didn’t look forward to talking to Max or Liz.

She put her robe back on and headed back to the room. Valenti was waiting for her, along with a sweat pants wearing Kyle.

Kyle looked up at her ruefully, “We are so busted, Tess.”

Tess just nodded. “This was coming sooner or later. Might as well be now. You go take a shower while I talk with your father.”

Both Kyle and his father exchanged glances.

“You don’t have to do this alone, Tess. I want to be there. I love you.” Kyle sent a defiant glare at Valenti.

Tess grinned, “Don’t worry. With you I know I will never be alone.” She reached out to him with her alien senses and prodded the Bond.

A look of wonder flashed across Kyle’s face, “I didn’t realize that was you. I thought that was just my imagination.”

“No such luck, Buddha-boy.” She caressed the internal Bond, and felt the wonder as he clumsily did the same. Tess giggled.

Valenti just regarded the two of them sternly, “This IS serious, both of you are acting like this is nothing important. It is.”

Tess raised a hand to placate Valenti. “I know. Now let me toss on some clothes while Kyle takes his shower. I will catch you up on a few things.”

She walked into her room and shut the door firmly. She rested her head against it briefly. And then she got dressed.

Time to face the music.

She opened the door and marched to the table. She gestured to her host, “Sit. I have a lot to say and well, most of it I am waiting for Kyle to hear. But some of it I guess will catch you up on a few things that are simply reality.”

Valenti nodded his head slowly, “You slept with my son.”

“Yes, and is that a problem? We were careful and I will be certain to make sure we stay discreet. But it will happen again. My people tend to be monogamous. We share life bonds that are hard to separate. Much harder than a simple piece of paper saying you are divorced.”

He nodded, “You are referring to me and Michelle.” Valenti looked over at the bathroom where his son was taking his shower, “I really didn’t want her to go. But she couldn’t handle the small town or my job. She wanted excitement.” His voice was slightly bitter.

“Do you want me to leave?” Tess was afraid of what he would answer, more so because she had gotten used to having other people around her. Sure they were both slobs, but they both cared about her.

She had gotten to like that a great deal.

She might permanently be an exile now, but at least she had people who cared about her. And that was all that mattered right?

It would have to be.

Valenti shook his head and sighed, “If I were still Sherriff there would be a stink about it, I am sure. But right now….” He looked away.

“I am sorry about your career. When this is all over I can help you get it back if you want. I do have resources.”

Valenti just glared at her. “Tess, I do not want you to mind warp the City Council. And technically they can’t fire me. I am just on permanent suspension until the state of New Mexico decides on the issue. Not that they can’t keep me on suspension until the next election.”

Tess shook her head, “Nasedo actually had a decent amount of money stockpiled. Probably don’t want to think where he got it all, but it is all legal and above board now. And the others have access to resources they aren’t even aware of. Did you think the government of Antar was going to keep its royal progeny in rags?”

“I honestly hadn’t thought about that.”

Tess chuckled, “It wasn’t deliberate, but they actually have a Protector, a shape shifting Chalsei as a director out in Hollywood. That man must be in heaven. “ She shook her head, “No wonder he has gone local, he gets to give the orders most of the time. But he still contributes funds.”

Valenti put his hands together under his chin. “How long have you known about this?”

“Oh, I have learned a lot since Ed died. Some of it good. Some of it bad. Look, my friends and me, we are NOT alone here. We have supporters and allies and enemies all around us. The stupid thing we did with the communicators last May really pulled them out of the woodwork.” She sighed, “Some were likely here before. Emergency plants so to speak. Just on the off chance that Roswell really was where they landed or crashed. But don’t trust anyone who left Roswell for any length of time after May.”

Valenti’s eyes widened and turned to face the bathroom.

The door opened and Kyle waved to both of them. He grabbed some clothes and went back into the bathroom to change.

Valenti turned to face Tess. “My son?”

Tess nodded. “Yes. I should be able to fix most of what they did myself. Max should be able to take care of the rest of it. Suffice it to say the people who cornered Kyle got lucky. They know who the Royals are. And unfortunately for us all, they have a plan.”

Valenti simply looked at her, “Which is?”

Tess closed her eyes, “It is not an accident I ended up here. Kyle has been both protecting me and acting as an assistant. And my keeper. He doesn’t know it, but I do. He was in charge of watching me and making sure I kept with the plan. When we grew close, I suspected some of it. But it wasn’t until we came back from Las Vegas that I knew for sure.” Tess was crying as she said, “It’s the hell of a thing to have to shut down the emotions of the man you are falling for, when those orders are delivered from his very mouth.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your son has an implant that allows him to be possessed for short periods of time. I have shut it down. Once they realize that, they will know something has gone wrong and will contact another agent. What he may be ordered to do I don’t know. But it is probably not good.”

“Do you know who this agent is?”

Tess shook her head. “I didn’t want to betray the others. But they had me between a rock and a hard spot.” She laughed bitterly, “No change that. They had a carrot. I could go home. I could go home and live in Antar if I produced the heir to the throne.”

Kyle pulled up a seat, “Hey, did I miss anything?”

Tess shook her head, “Let me start at the beginning. A bit more than fifty years ago there was a coup in the powerful city-state known as Antar……”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 3 - 02/13/2

Post by PML »

Thanks again for everyone following along.

Xmag- Thanks. Real life can be a killer, trust me I know. Both Daniel (Amy’s former husband) and Nancy were both born on another world. Lots going on, yes. But the answers are starting to trickle in.

Timelord31- Thanks.

Natalie36- Thanks.

Ellie- Thanks. Daniel was indeed an Antaran, but there is a twist there. The same applies to Nancy as well.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. Tess ended up working for a faction of Antarans, the same ones that captured Kyle. There are others out there though.

Mary mary- Thanks. It is a bit of a fight, but I am still here battling away. Wish me luck. The whole town isn’t Antaran, but there are quite a few aliens peeking about. Remember that part at the end of the first season where the signal goes out and it seems like people all around the world are being notified? And then only a few show up on the show? Well a few more are going to be popping up here.

Begonia9508- Thanks. The discussion between Liz and Nancy will probably be a part or two away. But how exactly is Liz going to explain how she found out? I anticipate having fun writing that scene!

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 4

Alex

Alex held his hand out, pointed at the pile of rocks in front of him. He chose one and concentrated.

This was so hard. His friends back home had made this seem so easy. Again the thrilling rush of Illiaster filling him to the brim.

His teacher spoke, oddly accented voice filled with scorn, “Your target won’t always just sit there waiting while you contemplate. You must actually use the power you summon. Now strike!”

Alex flushed. He wanted to look over and scowl at his teacher. But that would only earn him a quick slap to the head. Deservedly until he actually had control of his blasts. He had already zapped the man once on accident.

The rock. Must bridge the gap to the rock.

He closed his eyes and let his other senses take hold. And he could feel the connection. Between himself and the rock. He let the power flow and he felt as the rock shattered under his blow.

CRACK!

He felt a couple of stings as fragments hit him.

He opened his eyes. He’d used too much force again. Alex was supposed to break the rock open, not have it explode.

His teacher walked up and surveyed the damage. He was tall, close to seven feet. His head was slightly larger than a human’s, with large golden eyes. The limbs were long and double jointed. He snorted, “Typically human. All force and no subtlety. I will teach you Alexander Whitman. But you must learn control.” He held up a hand, the long fingers of which had an extra joint. “Didn’t they teach you anything on the backwater you come from?”

“All of this is new to me. I never imagined that I could ever do anything like this. Back home….”

His teacher wrapped himself in his arms. “Ah. Lady Milandara did not say you were from Earth. She merely asked to tutor you.” He closed the large eyes, “Yes, that explains some. But my dear, what are you planning? What is your game in this?”

“Excuse me?” Alex asked scratching his head.

One of his teacher’s eyes opened, “How old are you Alexander?”

“Seventeen.”

“Just a child. And yet already in late adolescence. Yes, those theories are true. But then Illiaster is supposed to be almost nonexistent on Earth. It is a wonder you can live there at all. My kind or that of Lady Milandara’s, we would not fair as well. But to witness such a compression of life….” A quick nod, “Do you have any relatives that survive to their second century? No, a better question. Who is your oldest relative, Alexander?”

Alex looked at the tall shocked alien. “Well, one of my grandmothers is seventy nine….”

“And she is oldest among your family? You have no older living ancestors?”

Alex shook his head slowly. Why was this important?

“My heart keens for the diminishment of your people, Alexander. Here I had taken you for nearly forty, and I find you the age of a child. But then on your world, you are not quite a child are you? Your life cycle accelerated…..” He rapidly blinked, his head swaying from side to side, “Yes, I must teach you differently. The Balance. I must teach you that first. We can do little for your people, but you are now here…. Yes, we will work on your Balance.”

Alex wondered if the Balance he was talking about was the same as what Riverdog had discussed so long ago. He didn’t wonder for long. He simply didn’t have time, so weighed down with mental exercises.

That plus his duties to his Lady, as pleasant those might be, kept him busy throughout the rest of the day.

-------
Sean

Sean walked into Amy’s kitchen. He turned off the whistling kettle.

He had not expected Amy to be trying to comfort Isabel on the kitchen floor.

Amy was barely conscious, but still clinging on to the girl. Apologizing for something. For calling her an alien.

Which was only fitting since the Princess, was indeed an alien. He wondered how long it had taken the sharp eyed woman to note that. Or that her daughter’s paramour was also likewise not from Earth.

Amy Deluca was very good at detecting Aelowey, the race the hybrids came from. Of course, the Aelowey were not the only race of visitors.

So far as he knew his own cover was safe. Whatever her husband had trained her to look for, it didn’t seem like he trained her against the Hist. But then it was doubtful that the man would have thought that his people could possibly survive here.

Which was only fair, as without the husk he wore he would die painfully in the split seconds before he exploded.

His people simply could not survive with Illiaster.

He picked up the Princess first and carried her towards the couch. Which was occupied. My they were busy folks. He laughed softly. What minor disaster had sent the scurrying about?

Isabel moaned softly, “Alex…. Why did you leave me?”

Sean’s face went blank. Oh. They were still dealing with the fallout from that poor kid. Sean had his suspicions as to what had happened there. Things he couldn’t say without blowing his cover.

He carried Isabel to Maria’s bed. He removed her shoes and tucked her in. He gave her a small kiss. “It will be okay, Princess. I will help make it okay.”

He grabbed a couple more blankets and put them over the couple sleeping on the couch. He examined them. Not quite Bonded yet, but getting there. He smiled. He wasn’t sure he totally approved. Rath had been a hard man to work for, and he was becoming fond of his ’cousin.’

Well, not really his call in the end.

He carried his still inebriated ‘aunt’ to her room and settled her in as well. He looked fondly at the woman. These humans were so fascinating!

He could easily see why the boss had fallen for her. A little crazy but so full of energy.

He turned out the lights and set the house defenses. Both those that Amy had set up, and those he had added.

He would remain vigilant through out the night, but he still had a report to make. No need to take any chances. They had important guest tonight.

------
Kyle

Kyle sat there nervously, listening to Tess. He felt odd. As if a dark cloud had been removed from him.

Tess continued, “So most of what they know now is only partly true. And I am afraid I am part of the reason why. For instance, this book.” Tess slammed the metal book onto the table. “It is a total fabrication. You think our creators fully understood what we would look like? As in not just what we would look like in late adolescent but our damned hairstyles?” She pointed to the pictures. “No, Nasedo knocked this together from photos he took of all of us.”

Valenti nodded slowly, “So he wanted you to pair up? Like you had on your home world?”

Tess looked at the book. She bit her lip and looked at Kyle.

Kyle smiled back, trying to give her confidence.

It must have worked for she continued, “Not exactly. From the little truth I was able to get out of Nasedo, each of us had at one time been romantically involved. But I was never married to Max. And Isabel, well supposedly she was involved in some scandalous affair at the time. And it wasn’t with Michael.” She wrapped her arms around herself. “We were each side of the pair’s first. It was what made those dreams last year so easy. You never forget your first love. But then, just as in humans you don’t always settle for the first person you love. Not even your first partner. So it was with us.”

Kyle walked over and held onto Tess. He hoped his love for her never faded. The whole business with the memories and his feelings suppressed was bad enough. “So what was the plan you were involved with. If you weren’t Max’s wife. Why did you want him so badly?”

Tess shook her head, a tremulous smile on her lips as she regarded Kyle, “Want? That’s a bit strong of a word. I was contracted by an important figure on Antar to bear the Royal Heir. If I managed I could go home. I would be even more rewarded if I brought the others with me. But the chief goal was the Royal Heir.”

Valenti nodded, “They wouldn’t need Max then. If he went he would probably be killed. And a long regency for the child.”

Tess nodded, tears in her eyes. “But now I have failed. An Heir was probably born last night. There are, markings. Events that are supposed to warn you of it. A meteor shower in Aries was to be the key for it.” She shook her head, “Why they chose that constellation, I don’t know. Because it looks like a ‘V’? I simply don’t know.”

“So you are saying that Max had a child conceived last night? But with whom?”

Tess only smirked, “Liz would be my guess. She was off to do some thing for her investigation, my guess is he tried to stop her. What happened next, I don’t know. I do know that both of them have been off kilter for a while. And both have needed the other for quite some time. Those Bonds can really be a trial if you don’t deal with them. Neither of them was truly willing to let go, and neither was willing to move forward. I fully expected him to stay here on Earth with her, simply because of that if nothing else.” Her smile turned sad, “I even planned to blame myself for Alex’s death. Say it was some massive plan on my part, probably drag Nasedo’s name through the mud too. I certainly didn’t plan on coming back if I succeeded. Might as well give them that much closure.”

Valenti rubbed his chin, “Do you know what happened to Alex, Tess?”

Tess smiled sadly, “Alex isn’t dead. He was replaced.”

------
Max

Max awoke to a screaming Liz. He held her until she calmed. But the tears kept coming.

“What is wrong, Liz?” He said smoothing his hand down her bare back.

“My life is a lie, Max. All a lie.” She clung to him desperately, pulling him closer.

“What happened?”

“My mother is an alien, Max. She has powers. Who am I? Where do I come from?”

Max couldn’t help a small chuckle escape. He’d been pondering those very questions all his life. And his normal girlfriend with her normal life had seemed so very steady and firm. So tied to the everyday.

Liz stiffened in his arms. “It is NOT funny Max.”

Max kept up his soothing rubbing of her back, relishing the feel of her all along his body. This whole night had been so amazing. So very wonderful.

He had never thought he could possibly have this. Have her. And it affected him so very much. So much of the darkness that had filled him for so very long was gone. He couldn’t help his elation.

Not that she was like him. That wasn’t important. Not really. No just that she accepted him. That she would let him hold her like this. Even as he could feel her growing anger at him.

He still couldn’t help the occasional tremor of mirth roll through him, “No. No its not. I’m sorry. Just. I am so happy. You have made me so very happy.”

“Well that is just great, Max. My life is in ruins, and you are on a giggle trip. Thanks.”

“Liz….. We will deal with this tomorrow. I will help you confront her. And we will find out. But we do it together. Just like we find out the truth about Alex.”

Liz’s voice was small, “Okay.”

“So what did she do?”

“My mother. My normal ordinary mother took the note I had written for her and burnt it up. In her hand, Max. It just turned to ash.” She started crying, “What am I going to do?”

“How did you see this? Was it a dream?”

She shook her head, “I just got up and I was there. It was like I was in New York.”

“When you saved me. So you have powers too.” He squeezed her tight, “Does that frighten you too?”

She nodded. “It didn’t. Not when I started. It felt totally normal, you know? But just watching my mother do that…. Is this something I could always do, and being with you has made me realize it? Have I ever been normal? Or is my life just one big lie?”

He gave her a soft kiss, “You are who you are, Liz. You are my light and life. And I love you. Trust in that if in nothing else. The rest of it, well we will get to the bottom of it. You have my promise.”

“Okay.”

“We can leave now, if you want. Go confront her.”

“No. Just hold me, Max.” She continued her sobbing into his shoulder.”

And so he held her.

Sometime later, she had calmed down a bit. They lay side by side. Neither of them really had any strength for anything vigorous. Neither of them had had a good night sleep in much too long.

Max could feel the sleep dragging him down slowly. But he was reluctant to leave his love alone.

She softly said, “Max?”

“Yes dear?’ Max said stifling a yawn.

“Thanks.”

It was so hard to keep his eyes open, “Welcome.” He tried to say.

He felt a tiny giggle at his side. He knew he should say something, but he was so tired. The last thing he saw was Liz lift herself up and look down at him.

She said, “Go to sleep, Max. I love you, and I will be here. Now sleep.”

And so he did.

------
Maria

Maria looked at the beautiful sunset on the beach. She and Michael was wrapped around with a blanket sized towel.

They had frolicked on the beach for hours. They had talked on the towels for almost as long. Well she had talked and he had listened.

And then they had made out. It had gone farther than any previous make out session they had ever had. The fact she could see where they had both shed their swimming suits told her as much.

Her stomach was full of swarming butterflies, and she felt almost a line of fire all along where their naked bodies touched. She had almost lost her virginity here.

She still might.

They had done things that would have horrified her mother. But then this was just a dream right? It was safe.

So far everything she had felt here had felt real. Even the things they had never done before. They had felt so real. And she wanted that feeling again.

Wanted that euphoria and that bliss.

She shuddered in memory.

Michael looked over at her, “What is wrong?”

Maria smiled and sat up. She then sidled over underneath the blanket until she had him straddled. She could feel him poking her in the belly. There was an answering warmth and wetness in her own. “Make love to me, Spaceboy.”

Michael began trembling, “I can’t. Not yet.”

Maria could literally feel him harden against her. “No, somehow I don’t foresee any physical problems so far.”

He gripped her shoulders, guilt filling his face, “None of this is fair. Isabel was right. I need to share myself with you. And I can’t. Not here.”

Maria began caressing Michael. Hitting all the spots she could remember him reacting to earlier. “It is all a dream. A wonderful lingering dream that Isabel gave us. I say we enjoy it to the full. When will we have the next opportunity when it is totally and perfectly safe to explore, Michael? In the real world, well I don’t think I would be ready. But here…. Here I am safe. Safe from all of it. I know you want it. You of all people.”

He looked up at her, his hands had moved lower. Caressing her breasts. He opened his mouth and shook his head. “When we wake….. Well I will deal with that when we wake. For now….” His face was set with a grin. And he kissed her.

Once more Maria mentally thanked Isabel for her gift. She swore that she would repay the taller girl somehow.

But she would worry about that later. For now she simply enjoyed the dream.

By the light of the two moons Michael and Maria made love.

------
Isabel-

Isabel huddled alone in the desert. She could feel the winds tear at her. Pull away what little moisture she had left in her.

She was so thirsty.

But that was not what she feared.

No she was afraid they would find her. Find her and bring her back. Back to the pain.

Better the thirst. Better the winds slowly tearing away at her than that.

It was killing her, she knew. But better that than the unending pain.

And so she hid.
Last edited by PML on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 4 - 02/26/2

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along. And thanks to everyone who voted for me in the awards.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. Yeah, Liz is going through a hard time. It will be harder when she faces her mother though. The truth will come out though.

Begonia9508- Thanks. The question is when was Alex taken. And why. As for Liz, finding out that what you thought your life was is wrong is always hard. Max will help her adapt I am sure.

Ellie- Thanks. Good questions. Both Alex’s parents are human. They are totally out of the loop and crushed by the loss of their son. There will be repercussions from what Michael and Maria did. But they will be more mundane that what happens in say After the End. And I wonder what the Parkers and Evans will think once they know the Perfect Miss Parker is expecting?

Natalie36- Thanks

Mary Mary- Thanks. You are very close on what happened to Alex.

Timelord31- Thanks

Carrie- Thanks.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 5

Tess-

Tess took advantage of the shock that both Valenti and Kyle seemed to be in from her last statement to eat a little bit of the early breakfast in front of her. She expected lots of questions.

It’s not everyday you hear that someone you thought was dead isn’t.

Valenti shook his head. “And by replaced, you mean the boy we thought was dead was replaced by a clone?”

She mumbled around a bit of toast, “Actually he was replaced a couple of months back. The Alex that came back from,” She made air quotes, “Sweden, wasn’t the same Alex. The woman who was running the operation that I was involved in apparently decided to keep him.”

“So this Alex was meant to die?” Kyle asked softly.

Tess shook her head, with a shrug. “I don’t know. There is a lot I don’t know. Not really. Sure there are a ton of things Ed told me. But from the little I have learned since, a lot of that was simply lies of one shade or another. Things told me to keep me quiet. And to make sure I was certain I wasn’t truly human, and that I was better than everyone else.”

Valenti’s voice was also soft, but worried. “So there are more of them here? They have some sort of base?”

Tess’s voice was soft. “Earth is not a good place for them. For any of them. I don’t really know why. But they can’t live here. They visit, some of those who think they have been abducted really have been. They do experiments on people. Sometimes they find someone they like. But…. They can’t just steal people, apparently we are dangerous to them as well.”

“Dangerous, how could we possibly be dangerous to a bunch of aliens. If they can get here, they are much higher tech than we are.”

Tess sighed, “To a point. I don’t know why, but supposedly they don’t want most of society to know about them. That we could cause them trouble if we knew. I really wish I knew more. But then, most of what I know was me being nosy.”

Valenti looked away, “So. Maybe our shutting down the Special Unit wasn’t the best thing we could have done?” He asked.

Tess looked away, “They were psychopaths, but Nasedo had more help doing that than you might think. And, well the aliens aren’t all on the same side. Remember Whitaker wanted the Unit operative.”

Kyle looked at both of them. “Wait, weren’t those the guys that tortured Max?”

Tess nodded.

Valenti sighed, “Son, the thing is we removed one of the few groups that was looking for them. Not very effectively if I may say so. But now…. Now we don’t have anyone. And the mere idea will be anathema to the folks back in Washington. No one will want to touch it for a long time after what happened to Pierce. Supposedly.” He reached over and took a bite out his own breakfast. His eyes were dark, and a little brooding. “Seems my father was right after all.”

Tess got very quiet. Was Valenti thinking of turning them all in?

Kyle said, “I can’t believe I am saying this, but you can’t seriously believe that the Unit was a good thing?”

Valenti kept eating his breakfast, lost in his thoughts.

Tess just watched the man who had taken her in at Max’s suggestion. Who had lost his job over them. Had defended them from every threat that he’d been able to.

But he was also the man who had hounded Max. Had chased him down until he had realized he was just another kid. Could it be that the calculations were changing inside of him?

Kyle said quietly, “Dad?”

Valenti got up suddenly, “Kids, I want you both to stay here this morning. I would prefer you kept your activities to the mundane today. I realize both of you are full of teenage hormones. But you’ve scandalized a poor old man enough for one day.”

Tess could feel as a bit of safety fled from her. Would he turn her in? He had been the one adult they had known they could trust.

Kyle stood up, placed one hand protectively on Tess’s shoulder. “What are you going to do, Dad?”

Valenti walked over, grabbed his jacket and hat. Turned at the door and said, “I need to think son. Don’t go anywhere, either of you.”

Tess couldn’t help it anymore. The loss of her place as queen. The loss of her chance to go home. The decision that she would accept it willingly, that she would embrace her human side.

Would that be torn from her now too?

She rushed over to Valenti and grabbed him, “Please don’t turn me in. Please, don’t let them take me!”

Valenti laughed, “Tess, honey, I would never do that. I might not be totally happy with either of you. But I saw what they did to Max. I won’t let that happen to you.”

She couldn’t help the tears. She was so frightened. She wasn’t used to feeling fear. Even now she knew she could use her powers. Twist what Valenti was thinking. Make him confused and unsure.

But if that broke at any point, all hope of him trusting her would be forever gone.

How desperate was she? How far was she willing to go?

Valenti wiped a tear from her eyes, “I just need to think. When I come back, I’ll probably have more questions. So please, stay here.”

Tess was torn. A war between hope and realism fighting inside of her. She could see the worries, lots of worries in Valenti’s eyes.

Trust had to start somewhere. She let him go.

Funny she hadn’t realized just how painful and nerve-wracking trust could be.

Valenti left.

She felt as Kyle hugged her from behind. She turned to face him and smiled wanly.

He gave her a small kiss. “I will protect you, Tess. I won’t let anyone hurt you. Not even my father.”

She did her best to keep her smile from seeming forced, “I trust him, Kyle. He would never hurt me.”

Kyle said softly, “What do we do now?”

Tess’s voice was a bit ragged, “We wait.”

------
Alex

Alex stared at the small golden stone in front of him. He remembered the whole incident with Michael. He should have known then that he would never truly have a shot at Isabel. She had been so possessive of Michael.

The seeds of Destiny already planted. He should have known that he would never measure up.

When the Aelowey had taken him at first, he had thought they would teach him to be worthy of Isabel. But Mila had other ideas. He had not truly understood what she had wanted from him.

And while success in that was most likely to be accomplished in the lab, Lady Mila was not willing to accept that more… traditional methods, should not also be used.

There had been a time when he had wondered what Isabel would think of him now. He still loved her, even after all that had happened. Even after he had found passion in Mila’s arms.

He wanted his Lady even now. She was in his blood and he needed her. He was doing all of this for her.

But in a strange way, he didn’t love her as much as he had loved Isabel.

Which on the face of it was utterly insane. Isabel had abused him. Had pulled him closer when she had needed support, kicked him away when she was comfortable.

His teacher clapped him hard on the shoulder, “Alexander, I will need you to focus. The Balance is dangerous.”

Alex softly said, “I know. I have seen one of these before.” He rolled the rock in his hands. Healing Michael had been the first truly alien thing he had been part of.

And it was one thing to watch as the girl of his dreams altered condiments casually, and another to take part in an alien ritual.

“We healed a friend of ours.” Alex looked at the golden rock, remembering back.

“Fascinating. Some sort of shamanistic or religious ritual I presume?”

He shrugged as he looked over at his teacher. “How much has Lady Mila told you about me?”

“Very little, and less than what I thought.” He walked a little away from Alex, “Human lovers are much sought after by the Aelowey elite. Both for your physicality and the difficulty humans have Bonding Aelowey. Casual sex without complications.” He shrugged.

Alex nodded slightly to himself. He could see that. When he was with her, all he could do was think about her. But when he was away from Lady Mila, even for a short time, he had to wonder what she saw in him.

Why had she chosen him?

His teacher sighed, “We should continue with your training, Alexander. Learning to be properly Balanced is important. It is the first step to truly being in control of yourself and your Powers.”

Alex continued to roll the rock around in his hands. He could feel the tiny devices that were built into it. It wasn’t just a rock. He thought that if he spent enough time he might even be able to understand how it worked. So many things were like that. “But I am human, we don’t have powers.”

“Fascinating thought, Alexander. One that we will discuss at length in the future. Until then focus on the stone. Be careful, the Balance is dangerous. It can warp both your mind, and through it, your body. It is the basis and foundation of the Powers you claim you do not have, despite several successful weeks of practice.” He turned to go, “I will be back in a few hours.”

Alex whipped around in confusion. “Where are you going?”

The tutor arched his eyebrows, “To do some more study on Earth, my pupil. Now just focus on the stone. The rest should come naturally.”

He left.

Alex was left alone in the garden with a small golden rock. What exactly was he supposed to do?

He used his senses to probe at the rock, to feel the small devices inside of it. Nothing

This was stupid.

He was tempted to just get up and toss the rock aside. What was the point anyway?

Alex took a deep sigh and tried again.

Funny. There were tiny little connections, almost like wires inside the rock connecting the various devices. He touched them, tracing them lightly with just a small amount of power.

Still nothing.

Pointless.

He smirked. Where was Riverdog when you needed him? That old shaman had known how to work these devices somehow.

‘Let’s see. Draw a circle maybe? Drink some water? Or, heck, what was that chant we used?’ Alex frowned. ‘How did I do it last time. Because I totally didn’t believe in that ritualistic crap. I just held up my hand and thought of helping Michael.’

Alex looked down at the amber stone. Only he wouldn’t be focusing on Michael this time.

This time he would be focusing on himself.

Grumpily moaning at the stupidity of the whole issue he focused his will on the Stone. He felt again at those devices, traced the lines of power that dwelt within.

Nothing. Still nothing.

Totally and utterly pointless! He could feel his anger course through him. Why was his teacher doing this to him? At least before he had been learning to do cool things. Impossible things, but cool.

Now he was just staring at a rock and this was so ridiculous….

Was it just him? Or was it glowing?

The world melted away.

Alex swirled around noting the desert he was now surrounded by was much more similar to his old home in Roswell than his new home with Mila.

Something had obviously happened.

He looked down at his hand. The Stone was gone.

“OH, CRAP. Where the hell am I now?”

-------
Max

Max sighed as he stared at the rising sun. It had been such a blessed night. One that he had never thought would happen. Not after all the problems this year had thrown at them.

Liz was just staring off into the distance. She had taken the idea that she wasn’t normal hard. Had been determined that Max find out what part of her was alien.

It wasn’t her blood. She had tested that. But it had to be something. If her mother had been able to do what she saw….

And Liz was adamant about that being real. About her talking to Isabel. About watching her mother burn a letter to ash by will alone.

They needed to confront Nancy. But it would be ticklish, because both of them were likely in a ton of trouble as it was.

Did the Parkers know that both Max and Liz were together? Or what of his own parents? Had his poor abused parents just assumed that he had left in the middle of the night to go brooding, as he had done from time to time this year?

What was he going to do about Tess? He still valued the blonde’s friendship, even if there was now no chance of romance between them.

Despite Prom.

That was going to be a blow to her, Max was sure. But Tess would just have to live with it. In fact, it would be interesting to see if she truly were the friend she had pretended. Or if that was just another ruse. He hoped she truly was a friend, because.....

Max was going to need her help. Max had been able to heal some of the damage in Liz’s head. And he was sure that some of it would mend itself in time now that it was no longer blocked, but there were other artificial alterations he wasn’t so confident he could remove by himself.

Hopefully, Tess would be able to help him there.

Now that they knew that something very odd had been involved with Alex’s death, they all needed to work on it. Even if it still turned out to be suicide, there still was something going on there.

Why had Alex pretended to go to Sweden? To the point of learning the language and bringing back metric tons of pictures. Even flowers for his funeral.

Something was up and they needed to get to the bottom of it. But it would all start with this. With this first confrontation between two women who loved each other. “Are you ready Liz?”

Liz stood up, “Not at all. But we should go. It will be easier to go now before the Crashdown is open, or it gets busy.”

“Let’s go then. This early we should be able to fly down the roads.”

“Yeah. Just drop me off in front. I will do the rest.” She held herself tightly.

Max walked over and held her. He laced his hands in hers, “Together Liz, we do this together.”

She turned and looked up at him, “But if you are with me… Max, if they might think we did,” Her cheeks flamed, “That we did what we actually did last night.”

He kissed her forehead, “I don’t care, Liz. They will know sooner or later. I am not going away. No more running.” He held her closely, “For either of us.”

She kissed him. They stood like that for sometime before Liz giggled.

He looked down at her. “What?”

“I forgot how good this felt. Not just what we did last night,” she blushed, “but your holding me so close.” Her eyes were bright and wide, “Just you loving me. It’s been so long Max.”

“Always and forever, Liz. Not like Juliet and Romeo either. No tragedy and early death for us.” At her smile, “I read it after Prom.”

Liz still had a sly smile as she looked at him, “Then like whom?”

Max wracked his brain. He was more of a non-fiction kind of guy. Romantic stories just were not his forte. And all the ones he’d read for school had been tragedies of one sort or another. “I don’t know. I am sure there is one out there. But if not, maybe we will be the first, huh?”

Liz just giggled again.

Max sighed and pulled away. It was nice to see Liz happy again. He agreed with her, it had been much too long.

Liz was still laughing as she said, “Come on, let’s go. And Max?”

“What?”

“Thanks.’

Max gave her a quick kiss and they headed back to the Jeep. And they left.

Together.

--------
Maria

Maria sighed as she woke. She could still feel traces of that electric fire coursing through her as the bliss had taken her.

It had felt so very real. And she could still feel echoes of his touch, memories of him moving inside her. That glorious rhythm.

Her eyes widened as she realized where she was. She was lying on the couch, draped over Michael’s lap. She was sweaty.

And wet. She doubted it was pee.

She closed her eyes. She would never live this down.

She looked up at Michael. Still dead asleep.

Maybe she had a chance.

She carefully extracted herself.

Michael whined slightly and said, “Love you,” faintly.

She just stood there for a moment, stunned. She stared at her boyfriend, who had never as far as she knew uttered those words while awake. But he had several times in her dream.

She shook her head. Impossible.

Her eyes watched the shadows of the morning light across his face.

It was impossible, right? He couldn’t truly love her, could he?

Oh, she knew that she was heads over heels with him. And she knew he liked her. But love?

She shivered.

She stood there drinking in the sight of him. For there was something wrong with Michael’s face. She had always liked to look at him when he slept. The anger and bitterness seemed to fade.

But right now… He seemed happy.

She shook her head and walked quickly to her bedroom to grab a change of clothes. She was greeted by the soft sounds of breathing. Isabel was asleep on her bed.

Maria smiled at the girl. Isabel had been such a help yesterday. Although there were a few more touches they still needed to make, as Isabel had let her fall asleep before they had finished.

Isabel whimpered in pain, “Oh, Alex. Why did you leave me?”

Maria felt her good mood evaporate.

That was right. Alex was dead. Here she had been so happy, simply because of a vivid dream. Meanwhile her friend had been suffering. She felt upset with herself.

She reached over and softly touched Isabel’s shoulder. “Sorry, Isabel. I don’t know how, but we will make it better. Somehow.”

Maria walked over to her dresser and took a sniff of cedar oil. She looked over to Isabel and lit a couple of fragrant candles. It might not help much, but Maria would do what she could.

She tossed her dirty clothes deep into the hamper and wrapped herself in a robe, other clothes in her arms. She started grumbling as she heard the shower start. She looked over and realized Michael was gone.

She glared at the door. He was using HER hot water. Why didn’t he just go home and use his?

She felt as her cheeks began to grow a bit warm and her stomach fluttery. Michael was in her bathroom.

Naked.

Images of the two of them cavorting on the beach crept through her mind. Her hand crept up to check the door. She was ashamed at the annoyance that crept into her when she found it locked.

What was wrong with her? That had only been a dream.

Maria said softly to herself, “I guess I am ready for that next step.” She looked guiltily over at her mother’s room. “Sorry Mom, I guess that Talk is coming sooner than either of us thought.” She closed her eyes.

The door opened. She looked up. It was Michael. He was drying his hair. And wearing just his jeans. All that beautiful skin just aching to be touched with her delicate hands.

She placed her hands on her hips and glared up at him. She was well aware that the robe was open in the front. She had deliberately been clumsy.

She wanted him, here and now.

Her mother would forgive her.

Probably.

Michael looked at her and smirked. “I should probably put a shirt on, huh?”

“Explain yourself! Where were you last night?” She could feel anticipation as she felt his eyes gaze drift from her breasts on down to her belly. Her heart was racing.

She tensed up as his arms moved closer. She closed her eyes and waited for the feel of his hands on her skin….

He closed the robe. “Not today, Maria. I want this. I do. But it would hurt you.”

She grabbed his arms and looked him in the eye. Eyes that were strangely clear for some reason. “Why?”

Michael smiled and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead. It felt like it had been engraved in her with fire. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “It’s simple. I love you, Maria. And the cost would be too high. For today. I am not counting out tomorrow. Maybe. But right now…. It is wrong. I can see it. Your body wants it, but you don’t. Not fully.”

Maria blinked, tears sliding down her cheeks. He… loved her?

Michael continued, “I should have done this long ago. But I was so afraid.”

“Afraid? Of me?”

Michael nodded. “Do you remember when Liz kept getting those flashes, and you were pretending to get them from me?”

Maria nodded, “I just wanted to be special. To make you happy.”

Michael’s smile was wry and sad, “You should have gotten them. I was the problem, not you.”

Maria’s heart was doing flip-flops at the moment. Her whole body vibrating with sexual and emotional tension. “No, I….”

Michael put on finger on her mouth. “Let me finish. Damn, I was hoping to put this off until tonight. Beautiful music, good dinner, you know the works.” He pulled his arms back and rubbed his brow ridge. “But the time simply won’t wait will it?” He smirked.

“What? Why? Michael, what are you talking about?”

Michael smiled again, “Look me in the eyes, Maria. Just keep your mind clear.” He placed one finger on the spot he had kissed.

Maria nodded. If this kept up her heart would simply explode. She could feel herself trembling and her breathing was a little heavy. But she looked into his eyes.

And gasped.

For finally she could see him. Tiny bits of his life flashed before her eyes.

Michael continued talking, “I was afraid you see. I suppose part of me still is. But what happened to Alex…. What happened to Isabel, how she is just crushed… Time won’t wait.”

Maria couldn’t look away. For so many of the brightest bits of his life included her. And how he saw her….

She chuckled at some of his earlier dreams of her. A female Terminator determined to wear him down. And he had tried to push her away. Tried and failed.

She would never look at mud the same way again.

“I love you Michael Guerin.”

Michael said softly, “I know.”

Maria smiled, balled her fist tightly and punched him as hard as she could in the stomach. She shook her hurt hand.

She glared up at him when he just grunted in pain. Couldn’t he have at least pretended that had hurt more? “No more hiding from me. Please.”

Michael snickered. “I should go fix breakfast. Or my already teetering self control will break.”

She gave him a brief kiss. A promise of future passion. For there would be.

And while her body complained, and she could feel that his did too, she closed the bathroom door behind her.

Time to test the efficacy of cold showers.

Even as the cold water poured over her shivering body she couldn’t help but smile. Even now she couldn’t forget Alex, but there was hope too.

Somehow they would have to bring that back to Isabel. For Maria owed her a lot. Not just for the dream. But for giving Michael a reason to stop procrastinating.

--------
Isabel-

Isabel lay hunched down behind the rocks. She simply did not want to be found.

Not by the living anyway.

Which is why when she saw him she didn’t hide. Alex was dead. It wasn’t like he would bring her back to the world of pain.

Maybe he had come to take her to a better place? To the better world. It had to be better right?

Alex turned and faced her, “Isabel? What are you doing here? Is someone hurt?”

She slowly staggered toward him. She was stiff from her hiding. And she felt weak from the sun and frazzled from the wind.

But that was okay. It promised an end. And she wanted it. She did.

“Are you here for me, Alex? Here to take me away?”

Alex rushed over to her, concerned. “What is wrong with you, Iz?”

“I want to join you. I don’t have anything to live for anymore. I just want to be with you.” She wrapped her weakened limbs around him.

Alex was patting her forehead and looking at her eyes, “How long have you been in here?”

She smiled wanly, “Almost long enough if I can see you. When can we leave?”

“What the hell happened back home? What happened to everyone, Iz? To make you like this?”

She just clung to him, “I just want to go with you. I don’t care about the rest of it. Just let me go with you.”

“Damn it, Isabel. Don’t you realize you are dying?” his voice bordered on the edge of panic.

She sighed happily and drank in his scent. He seemed different. Stronger.

Alex started mumbling to himself, “God, I hope I memorized that translation right. But you can’t be here any longer. I don’t even have long enough to question you, damn. How do I find out what is going on?” He looked at her.

She just smiled wanly. She was so cold and he felt so warm.

Alex nodded, “I just don’t have time. I need to send you back.”

“What? NO! I don’t want to go back. It is all just pain there.” She tried to shake him, but she was getting so tired. So weak.

Alex held her up, “I probably have only mere minutes here, okay, if even that…. Well, I got here by just concentrating and….”

Isabel looked at him, “Don’t send me away. I love you Alex. I should have told you that when I had the chance. But please don’t send me back!”

“And for all of me, and I don’t know why. But I still love you too. So. Isabel Amanda Evans… WAKE UP!”

There was a golden flare that filled her.

With a sudden gasp Isabel woke. And she pounded the pillow with weak frustration as the tears began to pour.

Why?

Why had he sent her back?

And she cried.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 5 - 03/13/2

Post by PML »

Sorry about the delay. I am going to try to keep this and End every other week.

Timelord31- Thanks

Begonia9508- Thanks. Hopefully that information will reach Isabel soon.

Ellie- Thanks. But will they find out what they expect when they confront the parents?

mary mary- Thanks. The answers start to come out, at least for Liz. Maria, well she learns things. Just doesn't get a lot of answers.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 6

Max

Max sat there in the Jeep. His hand firmly clasped Liz’s. “We could still just run away.”

Liz nervously laughed as she shook her head. “Tempting, but no. I have to face this.”

“I will be here for you. Always.” He squeezed her small hand tightly in his.

She looked searchingly into his face. “One night…. How can it have changed so much between us?”

“Last night we were true to ourselves in a way we have not been in a very long time.” Max briefly closed his eyes, “I saw things we will need to discuss. But as long as we remain true to one another, I know it will all make sense.” His eyes opened and he lifted her hand to his lips. “I believe in you, Liz.”

“Max…” They gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment before Liz sighed.

Max nodded, and they both walked into the Crashdown.

They were two steps in, when Jose called, “Hey, Boss! Liz is here!”

Jeff Parker came streaming from the back of the restaurant, clipboard in one hand. He engulfed Liz in a huge hug. “Thank God! You are alive!”

Liz pulled him close, “Daddy.”

Max watched as both of them stood there quietly holding each other and crying.

Something was going on. Some information he did not have, that they did not have, was being shared here.

Why would Liz’s father immediately assume that Liz might be dead?

He pushed Liz back a little and said sternly, “Go upstairs. Your mother needs to talk to you.” He glanced over at Max and frowned, “About several things, I suppose.”

“Dad….”

“I promise I won’t hurt him. Much.”

Liz folded her arms across her chest and glared at him.

Jeff smiled, “Go upstairs. I need to talk to Max.”

Liz nodded slowly, looked over at Max. She reached for his hand.

He squeezed, “Go on, I will be fine.”

Liz nodded and wiped her eyes. She squeezed his hand one more time and ran up through the restaurant to the internal entrance to the Parker apartment.

Both Max and Jeff watched her go.

Jeff smacked Max on the arm. “Max! I need to see you in my office. Right now!”

Max gulped and followed.

Jeff didn’t look at Max at all, but his expression was deathly serious. He opened a drawer in his desk. “So, Max, what am I going to do with you?”

“Excuse me, sir?”

“I am in sort of an odd situation here, Max.” He motioned to a chair on the other side of the desk, “Sit.”

“How can I help you?” Max sat down squirming uncomfortably.

Jeff sat down and sat back, his gaze firmly on Max. His hands were folded and supported his head with two fingers as he looked at Max like he was some strange creature. “Okay, Max. We can handle this one of two ways. We can be civilized and you can be honest with me. Or you can lie to me, and I can tear you to pieces when I find out the truth.”

“Yes?” He had to remain calm. But how do you remain calm when you know the truth will infuriate the other party. Besides what were the odds the man would openly ask if he had slept with Liz?

“Did you sleep with my daughter, Max? As her father, I am sort of an interested party in this regard, you can imagine.”

Max looked back at the older man. And nodded. Civilized. This might get him banned from the Crashdown. They might demand he never see Liz again. But if they did, Liz would fight them every step of the way. And in time, when she turned eighteen, it wouldn’t matter. They would find a way.

But if he lied now…. Well it would be hard to prove, but it was hardly the way to start with people who were so important to Liz. If there had been a way to hem, or hedge. To dodge the issue, maybe.

But a direct lie would cost too much in the end.

He just hoped he lived through the next few minutes. “Yes sir. I love your daughter. If it were possible, I would marry her today.”

Jeff sighed wearily and closed his eyes. “Ever play Russian Roulette, Max?”

Max blinked a few times, “Excuse me?”

Jeff pulled out a revolver from the drawer and slapped it down on the table. “It’s a simple game, Max. Put one bullet in the chamber and spin the cylinder. Put the gun to your head and if you are lucky, just a click.” He imitated the motion of pulling the trigger. “An incredibly stupid way to die.”

Max just stared at the gun and then at Jeff.

Jeff opened one eye at Max, “Don’t worry. I am not going to hurt you. Liz would never forgive me.” He reached into the desk again and found one six sided die. He forced it into Max’s hand. “Here, Max. Same basic odds, only without the chance of sudden death. Roll.”

Max took the die in his hand and just stared at Jeff. He looked at the revolver on the table. What the hell?

Jeff said gruffly with his eyes narrowed angrily, “Trust me, boy. I have a reason. Now, roll the die.”

Max was about to roll, when Jeff interrupted him.

“Oh, and if you roll a five your life is over.”

Max just stared at him, “What are you trying to prove here, sir? That we were careless? That we were stupid?”

Jeff leaned forward with both eyes glaring at him... “That is exactly what I am trying to tell you. Did you use protection? Did you do anything but risk both of your futures for a bit of exciting fun?”

Max stood up and glared at Jeff. “I love Liz.”

“That is great Max. That is just wonderful. And if she is pregnant? I can’t honestly quote the odds. Probably not as great as one in six. But the odds are there. Even if you did, in the extremely unlikely chance use protection, it isn’t fool proof. Max, life goes on for a long time. And you pay for your mistakes over and over and over. You are too young to realize it. So is my daughter.” He paused a moment, his glare lessening, “I realize you both will probably still sneak off. I remember being your age. And I know she loves you. Moreover, I know that we owe you. Both for last night, and for last September.” Jeff shrugged tiredly, “Perhaps more than that. You seem to put her in as much danger as you get her out of, but really would it truly be worse if she didn’t know? Particularly considering who her mother is….”

-----
Isabel

Isabel nursed her orange juice. In truth this morning was more than a little strange. Her dream from last night had seemed so very real.

In fact, she wasn’t entirely sure where her dream had begun and the real world ended. Had she truly talked to Liz? Did Maria’s mother really know about them?

But Amy would not meet her gaze. The one time she had caught a glimpse of her eyes; there was a massive amount of guilt in that gaze. The woman seemed almost shrunken, plainly having a hangover. But the eyes were bright and there was a chance that if what had happened were real, the woman remembered their confrontation.

Michael and Maria were flirting almost openly over breakfast. Much to the amusement of Sean.

Isabel just wanted it all to stop. Wanted to be in that place she had been briefly. That spot where the pain had begun to fade.

Where she had seen Alex.

God, it all came back to him. To her falling in love with him. Too late. Always too late.

Loving her was toxic. Look at Grant and then Alex. Sure she hadn’t loved Grant. But he had cared for her. And she had cared for him as well.

She simply hadn’t loved him. Not like she had come to realize her feelings for Alex had changed. Had it simply been the changes in him since he had come back from Sweden?

Or was it deeper? Had she finally decided that he was what she wanted? Someone stable, someone willing to call her on her self-deceptions. Someone who had needed her in his own way as much as she had needed him?

The tip of her ring finger on her left hand began to itch. A sort of deep-seated painful itch. She started to rub at it firmly. Still lost in her thoughts.

She now had to figure out a way to get through this. But she didn’t know if she could. Even if she could escape. She drank in the happiness of Michael and Maria.

They didn’t need her. Not really.

Once she had been certain that Michael would always need her. Would always need her to protect him from himself and others. But now she could see that Maria had taken up that role for her. And was doing a better job of it, too.

But then she was focused on him. And she seemed like she could somehow make him desire to change. A rare feat as far as Isabel could tell.

And Max…. Assuming he ever got off his high horse, he didn’t need her either. Liz would take care of him just fine.

She was rubbing her hand vigorously. It HURT!

She realized she was crying and forcefully rubbing at the burning that seemed to have set into both hands.

Maria was at her side, “Isabel, honey, are you alright?”

Isabel grumpily said, “I am fine. I am better than fine.” She grimaced at the pain. It was getting both more intense and spreading.

Maria placed a hand on Isabel’s forehead.

Isabel just glared at her.

Maria looked over at Michael, “Michael, she’s burning up!”

Amy said, “My God…. Look at her hands! What have I done?”

Isabel looked down at the visibly crackling electricity that was playing along her fingers. It hurt yes, but somehow she knew that it promised peace. That it promised sweet oblivion at the end.

No one living truly needed her so she embraced it. Time to rejoin her love.

She felt as the lightning crackled down every single nerve ending….

And she screamed!

------
Alex-

Alex stood in front of his tutor in the Main Library. He had just finished telling him about all that he had done and seen in the Balance. How he had saved Isabel.

Had she been real? That was the big thing for Alex. Had what he seen there been even the slightest bit real, or was it simply part of his own psyche reflecting back at him. His readings on the Balance supported either option.

His instructor had to tell him.

The teacher nodded his head. “Fascinating. Unfortunately you did not follow my directions. Here is what I need you to do. Go back to the clearing I left you in. But first run around the castle grounds….” He looked a moment away, “Say five times. Then go back into the Balance. I will be there later.”

“But was it real?” Alex demanded.

His tutor shrugged. “Make sure you get some water before you begin your run. Hydration is important both within and without the Balance.”

“Please. You have to tell me!”

“Later perhaps. After you have done what I have told you. Now go.”

Alex nodded. It was only when he was half way down the corridor that he suspected that he had been mentally pushed away.

What was he going to do? If Isabel was in trouble, he was on a completely different planet! And she had seemed so very broken and certain that he had died…..

Alex grumbled under his breath and headed towards the kitchen to get a couple flasks of water. He wouldn’t find out until his tutor decided to tell him.

Or he found out for himself. Either way he wasn’t going to get anything further here.

Might as well begin his jog. That alone would take a few hours.

And so he began.

------
Liz

Liz took one last look at Max and her father, as he led him into his office. Max could handle him, she was sure. He was good at calming people down.

And her father was likely quite angry.

But Liz needed to talk to her mother. Liz needed to know who, or even what she was.

There had been a steadily drifting distance between the two of them over the last few years. At first she had assumed it was simply her own new need for privacy. But there was a hurt in her mother’s eyes.

It was time all the cards were laid out on the table.

She ran up the stairs and into the apartment. “Mom?”

The voice was firm and sad, “In your room, honey.”

Liz walked into her bedroom to watch as her mother was taking down her case photos of Alex from her bulletin board, one by one. “Hey! That is private!”

Nancy didn’t even look at her. Just took another photo down and carefully set it in the pile. “This is something you have to stop. Your whole investigation is over!” She ordered sternly. She sighed. “There is only so much I can do to protect you. If you draw their attention to you any more than you already are….” Nancy turned around, her eyes red from crying, “Don’t you realize how much they would like to just take you?”

Liz’s eyes flared, “My friend is dead, Mom. Alex is DEAD. You know that kid who used to come here all the time? Tall? A little gangly? Good with music?” She took a step towards her mother, “And someone killed him. Set it up so it looked like a suicide.” She pointed to her photos. She could feel herself vibrate, as if she were filling with a warm and soothing sensation.

Everything snapped into focus. Time seemed to slow just a little and she could FEEL her room. Every dust mote drifting hazily in the air, every object seemed to occupy exactly the right amount of space. She could feel it all, almost as if she could see everything in its entirety and not just the portions she could actually see.

Nancy turned and said softly, “So. You have changed. I wonder... How much was from me, and how much from him?” She put her hands across her chest and her face set stubbornly. “It doesn’t matter. You are my daughter and live in my household, and you will stop this dangerous investigation.”

Liz could feel herself boil. Could feel as rage reddened the area around her. How dare her mother act so high handed? Her mother who had lied to her about so many things. She was shaking as she felt the tiny gaps in the world.

There was energy there. She called to it and felt as it filled her to near bursting.

The room itself was shaking and objects were sliding off of shelves and the walls.

For all the rage inside of her, Liz’s voice was decidedly calm. “I will not give up on this! Justice, mother! I will see Justice done.” Liz took a deep breath to calm herself down.

Maybe it would have been enough. Maybe she could have calmed down.

But on her mother’s face was an indulgent smirk. Her mother was LAUGHING at her.

Liz took the power that filled her and flung it at Nancy. The room filled with a golden white light as Liz power blasted her mother.

Liz didn’t see what happened to her mother. She collapsed almost immediately from the sudden lack of strength. She was suddenly freezing and her teeth were chattering.

So cold. Cold enough that her tears felt like tiny blocks of ice as they slid down her cheek. Even Max felt a million miles away.

Nancy wrapped her in a blanket and placed her hand on her forehead. Liz could feel a little warmth trickle into her from her mother’s touch. Her eyes filled with a mixture of amusement and worry.

“Mama?” Liz said hoarsely. “I am sorry.”

“Me too, baby. You hear about how fast children grow on Earth, how fast everyone ages. But you never really understand unless you live here. You never understand how precious Illiaster truly is.” Nancy shook her head. “It has been so hard to watch you lose your childhood so fast. And now you have slept with Max. Bonded him too.” She chuckled again, “We Arledals never do anything by halves do we?”

Liz bit her lip, “What am I?”

Nancy laughed, “You my dear, are human. Which is more than I can say of your boyfriend. A human-Aelowey hybrid is supposed to be impossible, no matter how close our two species evolved in parallel. Bah, we are closer related to chimps. But somehow the Queen Mother must have found a way.” She shook her head, “I don’t think I would have understood just how far you can go to protect your kids until I had you.”

Liz was confused, “But I saw you. I saw you burn a letter. It just turned to ash in your hand!“

Nancy’s smiled, “And how did you see it, baby? I have been very careful. You didn’t express anything as a little child, nothing significant anyway. Lately I have noticed a few changes, but…. They weren’t anything like what I was brought up to expect. I wasn’t sure if they were powers, or if you were just reacting to the higher level of Illiaster here in Roswell.“

Liz looked up at her mother, “I don’t know what I did. One moment I was in one place, the next I was here. Only no one could see or hear me. Well Isabel could earlier, but you didn’t notice I was here at all.“

“Ah, so she saw you just like Max did in New York.”

Liz’s eyes tightened, “What do you know about New York?”

“I read your journal.”

“MOM!”

Nancy shrugged, “I abused your privacy. But this was shaping up to be something much worse than Florida. They weren’t just going to take you and test you.” Her voice fell to a worried hush, “You were going to disappear. Maybe, maybe they would have tried a Changeling like they did with Alex. But they had to know I would see through it.”

“Alex? They did something to Alex?”

Nancy nodded, “I don’t know all the details. But he wasn’t just changed from his trip to Sweden; he wasn’t the same man at all. His ruse must have been slipping. It is probably why the Changeling died. They wouldn’t have wanted the Royals to know how close they are to them.”

“Isabel was growing so close to him. He must have known…. Are you sure about this? Can I tell my friends?” Liz looked up at her mother expectantly.

Nancy stood up awkwardly, “I guess the time to hide is over for me. Yes, you can tell them. But, Liz. This whole situation is… complicated.”

“I want to know everything.”

Nancy smiled wanly, “Of course. Everything.” She looked away. “Some of it will be hard to hear. Almost as hard as it will be to tell.”

Liz said firmly, “I still want to know.”

“Ok. The worst of your weakness should be gone now. Why don’t you go take a shower, while I make a large breakfast for us.” Nancy walked to the bedroom door.

“Can Max hear this too?”

Nancy stopped at the door and looked back at her daughter, “As I said. It is… complicated. There are a few things I want to tell you first before we get Max and if it’s a slow day down at the Crash, your father too.”

“Does Dad know?”

“Almost everything. Now go take your shower, honey.” Nancy left the room.

Liz watched her go. Her head was spinning with what she had already learned.

And that was only the tip of the iceberg, Liz was certain.

Liz gingerly got up and walked across her room. Her mother was right. She could really use a shower right now.

So she took one.

----
Maria

Maria was holding the screaming girl, trying to think of anyway to comfort her. “Max! We need Max!”

Michael raced over to the table and grabbed Maria’s cell phone and dialed frantically.

Amy just stood and stared, “My God. I have killed her.”

Sean quickly stood and moved rapidly around the table. He placed one hand against Isabel’s head and it glowed golden.

Isabel’s body violently seized up.

Sean held Isabel tightly. Under his breath he said, “Come on Princess, don’t quit on us now.”

Maria could feel as the whole scene began to swirl around her.

No. She had to be strong. She took a deep breath and called to Michael. “Any luck?”

Isabel began to calm down.

Sean placed a hand on Maria’s shoulder. “Max won’t be enough. Do you still have the Healing Stones Riverdog gave you?”

Michael glared at Sean, “Who the hell are you? How do you know all this stuff?”

Sean glared back, “We don’t have time, people. Isabel’s Balance has been compromised. Badly. We need to restore it or she will die. Understand? Her Highness is dying!”

Amy was rifling through her purse, watching both Michael and Sean closely. “Maria, go into my bedroom. Go into the closet in the back of the room, top drawer, the third one on the left. I have seven Amber stones there. Bring them.”

“Mom?” Maria looked confusedly at Amy.

“Not all my New Age stuff is crap. Some of it is imported. Not that most people know how to use it properly here.” She shook her head, “Go, Maria. Go! Isabel’s life may depend on it.”

Maria ran into her mother’s room, muttering, “My Mom has healing stones. Great just great. Just when I think the Abyss can’t get any stranger….” She opened the closet and looked through the drawer.

There were crystals of all sorts. Only some of which she had ever seen her mother actually sell. What exactly was all this for? Where did her mom get it anyway?

So confused.

She found the healing stones and ran back out into the kitchen. She stopped as she saw the tableau.

Her mother was holding a now glowing red crystal rod, its aim moving from Sean to Michael.

At least she knew why it was placed next to the Mace in Amy’s bag….

Michael had his hand raised and pointed at Sean, “What did you do to Isabel? Who are you?”

Sean stood there, hands raised defensively against both Amy and Michael. “Look, if we are going to save her we need to work together.”

Amy’s voice was scathing, “Who do you work for and what have you done to my nephew?!”

Maria couldn’t help the small titter of laughter that leaked out, “C-can’t we, we all, just get along?”
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 6 - 04/03/2

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Begonia 9508- Thanks. As for Maria’s father and Nancy, well they are humans from another world. Jeff was trying to show how serious unprotected sex could be.

Ellie- Thanks. Poor Maria and Liz. As for Isabel, it will be close.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks for the high praise. Well Nancy spilled the biggest shocker here I think, but Max’s reaction won’t be until the next part. Both Liz and Alex had too much to say.

Mary mary- Thanks. We will catch Max’s response to Nancy’s confession in the next part. But he will be there for it.

Timelord31- Thanks.

Zanier- Thanks. Well Nancy started her confession to Liz, but there won’t be any secrets kept, I can assure you. This one is a little too big to hide, I think. As to Illiaster, its existence is crucial to the plot. Good luck in real life!

Natalie36- Thanks.

Mt Gazer- Thanks. Note that the only one who knows she is pregnant is actually Tess. And she can’t know for sure, just that the signal for the heirs conception has been triggered. And Liz threw way too much of her strength at Nancy, she simply doesn’t know what she is doing..

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 7

Alex-

Alex sat down tiredly at the spot his tutor had originally set him to task on finding the Balance. He rolled a Balance Stone on his hand. Did he have the strength to do this?

Five laps around the castle grounds. That was bad enough. Sure he was in better shape than when he had lived on Earth. But Yndra had seen him on his third lap and demanded that he attend to her. Right there and right then.

Alex’s cheeks burned in remembrance. But the Bond that Lady Milandara had on him required him to obey.

Lady Yndra had no shame.

Alex drank deeply of the water he had taken from the kitchens when he had returned to the garden. It still didn’t quite wipe out the aftertaste of the Aelowey woman’s sweat.

There had to be an oil or protein on their skin…. Alex really hadn’t had much experience with sex until they had brought him here. But the few times he had made out with Isabel before the summer of despair, he did not remember the sharp tang to the skin. Or the need to drink lots of water to avoid heartburn the next morning.

Just another reminder that they were not human. Like the oversized eyes and the extra finger joints.

Alex shuddered. Why him? That was something he simply did not understand. Why pick him out of all the men of Earth to try to breed a hybrid from?

Alex looked down at his hands. He just was a normal guy. He looked up at the sky and cried out, “Why me?”

“That is indeed a good question. One that I at least, have no answer to.” Said the dry voice of his tutor. “Have you reentered the Balance since you have returned to this spot.”

Alex glared at him, “No sir.”

“Well then, what are you waiting for?” The tutor said arching an eyebrow.

“Can I ask a question, sir?” Alex said biting each word out.

“Yes.”

“Maybe you don’t know why me, but why is it so important to study the Balance. I have already been in there once today, and I told you what I saw. Why go again? Particularly after you sent me on a run and I….”

“Got stopped by the beautiful Lady Yndra. I must say I do not understand that portion of why you are here any more than you likely do. And it is irrelevant in any manner, you will study the Balance mostly because I as your tutor have decided it is what you most need to learn.” The tutor sighed impatiently, “But you need more. Always the student needs more. Doesn’t trust his teacher to know and understand the material. Must have an explanation.”

“This one does anyway.” Alex continued his glare.

The tutor raised one hand and a rake from twenty feet away rushed to his hands. “I can not promise I will always have time to satisfy your curiosity, Alexander Whitman, but perhaps you would be best served a small demonstration.” The tutor tossed Alex the rake.

Alex caught it and stared at it perplexedly. “Okay?”

“Your powers are as much a tool as this rake is. And like them it has a balance point at which it is best used. The point at which it allows you the most control and speed of use. Hold the rake steady, balanced in one hand.”

Alex grasped the rake toward the center where it was easies to hold.

The tutor nodded, “Yes, just like so. Now try to hold it straight only holding on to one end.”

Alex nodded at the simple experiment. “The further from the equilibrium point, that’s what they called it back home in physics class, the harder it is to hold steady.” Alex was now struggling to hold it straight with one hand, “The rest of the weight is acting like a lever making it seem heavier.”

The tutor nodded, “Very good, Alexander. And note that the rake itself has not changed. It is the same tool as it was when you were handling it more comfortably towards the center. Closer to the Balance. Easier to use and easier to control. That is why you need to study and practice in the Balance. Most people have some familiarity with their Powers. They grow into them. Just as you have seen and held a rake before, so to they have a level of natural Balance that you will not possess unless you train to it. And considering your potential strength, that would be dangerous to you and to those around you.”

Alex’s mind went immediately to Michael. Only Michael HAD grown up with his powers. What might happen to Alex if he grew even close to Michael’s strength without any natural Balance at all? He swallowed hard.

His tutor’s voice was soft, “And that is why you need to practice.”

Alex nodded closed his eyes and entered the Balance once more….

------
Liz

Liz toweled herself off and walked into her room. She glanced at the door. She should still have some privacy at the moment.

She slipped off her robe to look at herself in the mirror. She smoothed her hands down her hips and examined her body intensely.

She was pretty. Liz knew that. But it was so hard to see herself the way Max did. Could she truly be that beautiful?

For a moment time froze and she was a blank slate. An olive skinned mannequin. Her face, her hair, her eyes; all were gone. One hand pressed to where her eyes had been. Not even indentations.

Her other hand quested along the now smooth crotch of her body. Her sex was gone.

Who and what was she?

Was that even the right question? Her mother said she was human. But was she really? Or was her mother just trying to calm her? To tell her soothing lies like she had her whole life?

She felt her temperature rise, felt as if her skin were too tight. To taut to hold the… the
thing it kept inside. She struggled, uncertain whether it was to stay comfortably inside the mask or to see what lurked inside.

A bright glow started in her lower abdomen, sending filaments all along her body. She felt an intense pressure build up inside her and a floating joy akin to bliss follow along each and every filament.

She felt as they messed and bonded in her lower spine and then came roaring up through her body. Along every nerve and fiber and bone, she could see the delicate interlace of light that was ‘her’.

For a split second she could see nothing as light poured from her, even from her eyes.

And her body was back. But it was not the same. Somehow it felt more hers that it had before. Liz shook her head in vague confusion. Was her life ever going to make complete sense to her again?

Her scar was gone. The one above her eye. And her normally clear skin was immaculate. Not a single flaw.

Was this how Tess and Isabel did it? Liz knew that Isabel spent time working on her make up. But Tess really didn’t. And she still always looked great.

She lifted one eyebrow. Maybe this was not without an upside.

And then noticed her belly button was gone.

She reached down to feel it. But no, it really was gone.

She had always thought it was a silly thing. Sure it was important, and it served its purpose. But why linger after its usefulness was gone?

And now it was gone. Just smoothness from the valley between her breasts all the way to her pubic hair.

What was she going to do?

She quickly changed into some clothes, making sure the shirt did not bare her midriff. She marched into the kitchen. “Mom!”

Her mother was still somewhat withdrawn and solemn. “What honey? I will have breakfast done in a couple of minutes.

Liz’s stomach growled and she felt a sort of fluttery feeling. It wasn’t unpleasant. Merely different.

Another bizarre change?

Liz shook her head annoyed and lifted her shirt.

Nancy turned to face her and looked down at her missing belly button. And began to laugh. She visibly tried to control herself and then just stopped trying.

“MOM! I have a situation here!”

Nancy took in a deep breath. Tried to say something and the laughter began again.

Liz lowered her shirt, walked over to the refrigerator and made herself a cup of orange juice. She then thumped herself down on the nearest seat waiting for her mother to recover.

Nancy nodded briefly and said thickly, “Let me salvage some of this. Good thing I hadn’t started the eggs.”

Liz just glared.

Nancy shook her head, “You have no clue how much I needed that.” She took a deep breath and smiled at Liz., “You are just going through an awkward point of adolescence. Either early or late depending on how you look at it. I went through it in my twenties, but then physically I was around ten or eleven. Just a stage of puberty, Liz. I am sure it will pass quickly with you.”

“Why me? I am seventeen, and, and…. I haven’t heard Max or Isabel or any of them say they went through any of this!”

Nancy shrugged. “Maybe because they are part Aelowey. Or maybe because all their human ancestry is local. I don’t really know. You would have to ask them. But then none of them suffer from the common adolescent afflictions to most of their peers. You didn’t either, but then I thought you might have just have gotten lucky. Your powers might have been there all along, just very weak until Max’s healing increased your Illiaster count.”

Liz wrinkled her nose, “Illiaster… That is the second time you mentioned it.”

“I was many things before I came to Roswell, Liz. A scientist wasn’t one of them.” Nancy bit her lip, “It is the source of our Powers for one thing. But even the pathetic levels on Earth will let you use them, sparingly.”

“Then why doesn’t everyone have them?”

“Even on Antar, not everyone was powerful. And I think the amount of power needed to be able to access them, to develop the tools in your mind to be able to use them…. I think it requires more Illiaster in the environment than Earth has. There are a few other worlds where few people can use powers. But here, here on Earth, its so bad that people don’t even age like people.” There were tears in her eyes, “They, we, age like we’re just some sort of dumb animal.” She looked away, “I see it everyday. People, good people who grow up too fast and grow old too soon.” She turned to face Liz again, “Before I came to Roswell I was nearly two centuries old, and still young. But these last three decades….” She shook her head. “You have made it worth it. You and Jeff. But I just wish it were safe to take both of you away from here. To a place where I wouldn’t have to watch you slowly die, day by day.”

Liz bit her lip and nodded, “Okay. I can see where that would be… hard. But I don’t understand why this is so controversial. Why this is some dark secret. I can see why you would hide it from me, maybe. But you are acting like this getting out is the end of the world?”

Nancy turned away and began cracking eggs. “Your boy is Zan isn’t he?”

“Who, Max? He’s Max. We’re trying to avoid as many of the entanglements of the past as we can. He’s not going to be constrained by his Destiny, so to speak.”

“But he was Zan, honey. That is where the trouble lies.” She cracked a few more eggs. “Why don’t you call the boys up. Breakfast is almost ready.”

Liz stood, “What aren’t you telling me.”

“I am partly responsible for his death.” Nancy began to whisk the eggs.

Liz just stared, “What?”

Nancy’s words were bitter, “It is how I know all about your drive for justice and the need to ruthlessly pursue what you believe is right.. I have been there. And sometimes the price is too high.” She rubbed her eyes, “I lost everything because of my fight for justice. My whole family was killed or worse over it…. And in the end all I had done was help another’s power play.”

“I don’t understand. How could you have been involved. That was more than fifty years ago!”

Nancy’s voice was calm, And I am well older than two hundred years old. I was there, Liz. Whether you want to believe it or not.” She tossed a little butter into a pan. “I still don’t know who started it. We certainly didn’t.”

Liz just looked at this woman she had thought she had known so well.

Nancy’s voice was soft. “I see him in my dreams sometimes. His shield had been angled to cover Vilandra. The Aelowey always underestimate us, always forgetting how hard a free human can hit. I can still remember his bright golden eyes widen in pain as my power blast took him in the upper chest. His shield flickering out. And so many guards. So many…. Running…. Just running….”

“Mom?”

“Go get Max and your father, honey. Breakfast is almost ready.”

Liz quietly got up and went to fetch Max.

Her mother was more than two hundred years old? She had not only been there when Max had died, but possibly the one that killed him?

Did she really want to know more?

And Max…. How would he take this. Gor all the new intensity of their recharged relationship they were still at a delicate stage.

Could he bring himself to still love her?

Liz clambered down the stairs to find out.

----
Maria

Maria had been certain that Valenti showing up would calm things.

Not really.

Now he too had a gun aimed at Sean.

Isabel was moaning and calling for Alex. The grayish webbing had already started to form around her body.

Amy’s voice was harsh, “He is dead isn’t he?”

Sean’s voice was soft, “Yes. Heroin is a difficult addiction for the human body to break. He overdosed shortly after leaving Juvenile Hall. It was too good an opportunity to pass up. I am sorry.”

“All this time….”

“Trust me when I say that if I’d’ve wanted to hurt you folks I would have. But now her Highness is dying. Saving her is worth blowing my cover.”

“Who do you work for!” Demanded Michael.

Maria touched his shoulder and looked at Sean, “You will tell us everything after we save Isabel?”

Sean nodded.

Maria softly whispered, “Michael, please.”

Valenti lowered his gun and asked Amy, “You know about all this?”

“Do you?”

Valenti drawled, “Some. Too much and not enough.”

Amy grunted and lowered the crystal in her hands, “After this we need to talk.”

Valenti said, “Yep.”

Isabel was nearly coated with the webbing, but parts of it were different than they had been with Michael. For tiny bits of it were turning a shimmering fuchsia.

Maria place her hand on Isabel’s forehead. “She is still burning up.”

Isabel made a long sensuous moan.

Valenti asked, “What is going on in there?”

Another brief shuddering gasp from the entangled Isabel.

Amy’s voice was dry, “And does she really need or want our help?”

Michael’s voice was sharp, “This isn’t funny, she might be dying!”

Maria nodded, “Let’s get started then.”

And so they began the preparations to go into the Balance to save their friend.

----
Isabel-

Isabel could feel the remnants of herself blow away in the steady wind. All the moisture, the desire to live had gone from her. A statue of sand. She merely had to wait for the tattered bits of her to scatter across the landscape and she would have her ending.

Maybe she would meet Alex there. Maybe not.

Perhaps it would be better if it were simple oblivion. She had never been good for anyone as far as she could tell.

She felt as her left arm slid off her body and shattered the hard rock in front of her. She was too dry, too static to watch it fall. Not a tear left to fall.

Not for her. Not anymore.

She was eager for it. For the end. She hoped there was no hell. But understood that it too might be her fate.

She had tried so hard to be good this time. Had done all she could to help others. But in the end her nature had come out anyway. A killer. She could still see the surprise on Whitakers face as she had killed her.

Isabel had never told anyone how it had made her feel in that moment. How the exhilaration had filled her as she had crushed her opponent. That savage fierce joy as she felt her opponent die.

Had Michael felt the same as he had blasted Pierce?

Isabel would never know.

Perhaps it was for the best. Best simply not to know.

She heard Alex’s voice from behind her.

“Oh, damn it! Damn it all to Hell. You want to die, don’t you? I put you back in your body because you needed it, Isabel! Because this place is killing you.”

Isabel could not respond. In truth she wasn’t sure she wanted to. Let him rail against her. Let him hate her.

She would not have to stand it for long. She felt longingly as the wind tore at her right hand, her fingers mere stubs on the half dissolved palm. As she was being torn apart at the most basic level.

As she was becoming part of the Balance.

Yes, that would not be so bad.

“That is it. I am done with you. You WANT this. Enjoy your fucking death, Isabel.” He paced around her. “God! Why do I even CARE!”

He stopped to look at her.

He looked so real there. So alive. But that was impossible. He had left her alone.

But what if….

He gave her one last look and walked away.

Isabel almost wished she still had a tear left to cry.

No.

This was better. Oblivion called to her.

Alex was maybe twenty feet away when he started railing at the heavens.

Isabel watched him confusedly.

He ran back and looked at her. “Why! WHY can’t I just let you go?” He hit her sandy body once. His fist obliterating her left breast.

She felt his hands on her, in her.

He was real.

He was real and alive.

She howled to turn it all back. To take it all back and regain herself. To have another chance to hold him.

But it was too late.

She could feel her head wobble slightly. Her face cracked and she felt as one part of her head began to slide and then stopped. It was strange to see with one of her eyes so much further down her face, but both eyes were still mostly intact.

“I love you Isabel! Its all confused now, but I STILL love you!” He thumped her again. “Why are you doing this to me?” He hit her again, his hand sinking into her body.

Right about where her heart should be.

She could feel it. Could feel the love radiating off his soul and into her dry and barren body. She struggled to reach for it. To at least let him know that she had loved him too.

But it was too late. Her soul was too unbound with her body. Too scattered amongst the winds.

And it was then she knew her true fate.

For the Balance would never truly accept her soul. All the pieces and parts of it, but not the essence of her. But without those pieces that it would lay claim to, her soul could not truly leave. It would never go back to the body. Never truly die.

It would linger on the wind of the Balance, eager to somehow possess another weaker soul. She could feel others that had been trapped as she would soon be. Crying out for reprieve and redemption. Cursing her for her foolishness.

And some of them were so old. So very old that they had forgotten who and what they had been. Seeking only some level of form and sensation that had been denied to them.

She could see them now. Some of them plucking at Alex.

She felt as her head slid down her body. When it crashed down and shattered, her last connection to the real world would be gone. She would be a pile of sand that would slowly disperse.

And her soul would shriek silently amidst the winds of the Balance for all of eternity.

Alex caught her head and tried to hold it together, but the sand ran through his fingers and into the whipping winds.

Her soul shrieked as the last light vanished. As she could no longer hear Alex’s sweet voice. As she clung to the last remnants of remnants that had linked her to her life.

Grain by grain the wind tore at her. Stealing the last bit of her precious life. The last bit that had made her Isabel.

She felt more than heard Alex say in a loud voice, “I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!”

And once more she saw the precious light.

Through his eyes now. He wrapped his soul tight to hers and held her.

She pulsed with all her might, ‘I am sorry. So very sorry!’

Alex closed his eyes for a moment and nodded. “I will need your help. This place is real, but yet it is like a dream. With your help I will remake you.”

All along and at every point their souls touched she pulsed love and acceptance.

They used the remaining sand as a base and pulled the rest from the environment. Rebuilding her piece by piece.

Isabel was reborn.

And with kiss and caress and delicate sweep of tongue, her body was brought back to life in the Balance.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 7 - 04/14/2

Post by PML »

Sorry about the wait. Will try to get the next up in two weeks. It is amazing how small one’s world gets between illness and injury.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks. Liz was just using her new found powers to make small improvements. Too bad she doesn’t know what she’s doing. Nancy and Max talk a little here.

Ellie- What happened to Isabel and Liz will be discussed and dealt with in this part.

Begonia9508- Thanks. Nancy’s life has been mixed. Living on Earth with Jeff and Liz has been a blessing, but watching them grow prematurely old… That is hard.

Timelord31- Thanks.

AvalonRose- Thanks. I touch on pretty much all your questions in this part.

Mary mary- Thanks. You are right on both counts. Lady Milandara would not be pleased.

Cjsl8ne- Thanks. Welcome aboard.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks.

Valentinebaby- Thanks. Hope you continue to enjoy.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 8

Isabel

Isabel shuddered in delight as Alex’s hands soothed out any remaining tension. Not that there was much left for him to drum out.

She edged her body away from the damp area that lingered near the center of the bed. She only wished this had been real.

Alex’s voice was wry as he said, “What ever you are doing, stop it. I haven’t been wasting this precious time we have to massage you, only for some idle thought to tense you up.”

Isabel turned to look at him, ”I wish this were real.”

Alex kissed her lightly, “This is real. And I have no clue what the consequences for this is… My hands ache from holding onto that damn Balance Stone. But it IS real.”

“I wish I could believe that.”

“You aren’t going to ruin all my work are you?” Alex watched her, calm but worried.

Isabel push him away lightly and stood. “Never.” She walked toward one of the walls they had made. “Mirror,” she commanded. And she viewed herself, not as she normally did, but through Alex’s eyes. And while he truly admired her body, he saw deeper into her. More than just an animate receptacle for his pleasure and seed.

He actually loved her.

She had not realized that part of her had no believed that someone could or would look deeper.

Isabel closed her eyes in a mix of shame and glory. Shame that she had considered herself so unlovable she had been willing herself to die. She had used her own powers against herself in some odd self-suicide pact.

She had given up.

Never again.

She turned and rushed Alex, holding him close. “I will find a way. We will be together.”

Alex kissed her and said, “Maybe. But don’t hold your life up for me. You know my situation.”

Isabel hissed, “Yes.”

Alex looked away, “I don’t know how fast you will age there. I want us too, but I want you to live your life. If you meet someone you can be with, someone to comfort you on the way… Take it. If we never have more than this… Well this is more than I ever imagined.”

Isabel reached up and grabbed, “If you think I am going to leave you as some sex slave to a couple crazy aliens…”

Alex sighed, “I am on Antar now. How do you plan on getting here?”

“I will find a way!”

There was the sound of a throat being cleared.

Isabel looked over.

Amy Deluca was looking at them uncomfortably, “I think when this is over, we need to talk.” She walked over to Isabel and touched her arm. Before vanishing, “If you truly are Alex, I am not sure I ever truly knew you.”

And she was gone.

Alex said calmly, “Here they come. Imagine clothes, Isabel.”

Valenti stammered and looked away.

Isabel looked down. She WAS wearing clothes now… But in truth they were more lingerie than actual clothes . They covered her up, but left little to the imagination.

Sean appeared and walked calmly up to Isabel, kissed her hand and said, “It is good to see Your Highness well.”

Alex glowered, “You can find happiness in anyone’s arms but his, ok?”

Maria bounced in and stopped when she took in Alex. “What is going on here?”

Alex, clad now in blue jeans and t-shirt, pulled Maria close. “I am alive my dear. Isabel will share the details.”

“But I want to know now!”

Alex placed a finger over her mouth, “Not here. It is too dangerous. Isabel will tell you everything.”

Michael appeared, “What the hell?”

Alex push a wild eyed Maria into his arms. “She’s in danger of getting lost. Isabel will follow”

“Last kiss?”

Alex smiled, “Isabel will tell you everything. Take care of my girls!”

Michael smirked and vanished with Maria in his embrace.

Isabel said, “I don’t want this to end”

Alex said, “We will find a way.”

And he kissed her.

And she woke up.

------
Max

Max watched as Liz cautiously walked into the room.

Jeff smiled, “See pumpkin, I didn’t kill your beau.”

Liz rushed over and gave him a hug. “Thanks dad. Mom told me that if you can break away, breakfast is ready.”

“I wouldn’t miss this for the world. But honey, talk with Max. If Nancy told you what I think she did….”

Max was worried when he saw Liz bite her lip and look at him. What could Nancy have told Liz that could possibly be that bad? “Liz?”

Jeff walked out of the room to give them a tiny bit of space.

Liz looked up at him, eyes wide. “I know we have pledged to start over. To work through the madness of last year and….” She closed her eyes and clung to him tightly. “I just got this feeling back! I don’t know if I could survive losing you like this.”

“Liz…” Max pulled her close, slipping one hand possessively around her waist.

There was something wrong here, something missing.

Liz continued, “It was more than I was expecting Max. I am not even sure what I am anymore.”

Max let his powers idly roam through Liz to find out what the problem was.

Liz had changed. Even in the short time they had been apart, something major had happened. Her body was acting like his sister’s or Tess’s. Little buzzes of power fixing whatever minor issue the body might be dealing with. If anything Liz’s body was more active.

Catching up. Which is why he ignored the positive storm playing along Liz’s reproductive tract. He had seen similar ones affecting Isabel during various times during the month. And unless there was a problem, Max wasn’t about to dwell on it.

Her missing navel on the other hand was a newly disappeared friend of his.

“Liz what happened to your belly button?”

Liz’s voice was a wail, “I made it go away!”

“What?”

“I was looking in the mirror and well, trying to see what you see.”

Max closed his eyes and imagined Liz naked before him. Just the thought warmed him.

“Max! This is serious!”

“So you were looking at yourself in the mirror and you removed your belly button..”

Liz nodded against him, “All my features vanished.” She looked thoughtful. “They only came back when I knew what I wanted to be. That I wanted to be myself. And suddenly… I was.”

“And the belly button?”

Liz’s cheeks reddened, “I don’t know. It always just seemed silly. And people would comment when I would wear something that bared my midriff, and I don’t know. I just didn’t know that I wanted it.” She closed her eyes, “And it was gone.”

Max chuckled, “It’s not actually gone you know. And if you don’t mind, well I would kind of miss it.”

“You could bring it back?”

Max touched her belly and used a tiny amount of his healing power. There was a tiny amount of resistance, her own body fighting his change. But that was wavering and disappeared and a tiny indentation appeared in her belly.

Max nodded, “You healed yourself. I can see it in a few other things. Last night changed you. More than we thought.”

“Hmm.” Liz was thoughtful, “Maybe, maybe not. Mom said she was more than two hundred years old. That it was something you just went through. And I don’t think she was lying. It felt like the truth.” Liz said softly, “And I could feel it. Feel that what she was saying was true.”

“Liz?”

Liz nodded firmly, “I have changed. I am one of you now I think. I wonder what a blood test would show?”

Max pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. Inside he could not help the joy. The girl of his dreams was not only in love with him, but she was like him. That seemingly inseparable gap both of them had felt since shortly after her Healing last fall fell away.

Both of them enjoyed the moment, but it passed. Breakfast was waiting.

“Your mom claims to be over two hundred?”

Liz was grim, “Yes.”

“Does she know anything that might have happened to us all those years ago? I mean, I know its unlikely, but if she was truly alive then, maybe she remembers more about the crash.”

“She wasn’t here Max. She was from Antar. It wasn’t until around twenty plus years ago she ended up running away to Earth. Its supposed to be dangerous to your people.” Liz closed her eyes and started shaking, “She knew you Max. She knew you as Zan…..”

“Okay. Um, I take it that it wasn’t a good meeting?”

“She thinks she killed you Max.”

Max pulled back in shock. “That isn’t possible. That was more than sixty years ago! Your grandmother Claudia would have been a little girl!”

Liz gripped Max by the shoulders and looked him firmly in the eye. “Max, she claims to be more than two hundred years old. And she believes it Max. I, I can FEEL the truth in what she says. As insane as it sounds…. She is from Antar, Max. And she KNEW you.” Liz pulled away a little. “Knew you… and killed you.”

Max gripped Liz firmly, “Liz, no matter what we find out here, no matter the truth. It doesn’t change the fact I love you. It doesn’t change anything between us. Because our love is between us. That is the part we forgot, its not between us and all the crap that is trying to separate us. We need to hold firm. The world seems to keep trying to separate us. We just need to hold firm and defiantly resist it Liz. Past, present, future, I do not care.” He pulled her close, shielding her crying form in his arms, “You are mine, Liz Parker. And I will keep you for as long as you wish….”

Liz reached up and kissed him.

A few pleasant moments passed before a feminine throat cleared behind them. “Very touching, I am sure.”

Both Max and Liz whirled to face the new comer.

It was Nancy Parker.

Max looked at her, seriously looked at her using his powers to probe. It was brushed away casually.

Nancy smiled at him, “You have a great deal of strength. You haven’t fully come into it yet, and you don’t really know what your doing. But you have a great deal of potential.”

Max looked at the older woman sternly. How had he not noticed the signs. Her aura was manipulated. Made to look almost human. But it was too strong, too real.

And the eyes…..

Max felt a small shudder. Nancy had never looked him directly in the eyes before. And he had been so intent on hiding himself, he hadn’t thought of others trying to do the same. “How many others of you are there out here?”

Nancy nodded, “Come on, and I will tell you. It’s not exactly safe to be chatting about this in the open.”

-------
Maria-

Maria felt her head spinning as she returned to herself.

Michael held her closely and looked deep into her eyes.

She shot him a sardonic glance at his worry.

He just crushed her to him, “Too close. That was too close.”

She tried to push him back a little, but he was holding her so tight. And kissing her forehead.

Michael was really frightened.

Amy’s voice was sharp. “What happened? Michael answer me!”

Maria’s voice was querulous, “Yeah, what is the big idea, you big lummox! Are you trying to crush me?”

Sean’s voice was firm, “She almost lost lock, Aunt Amy.”

“No more of that Aunt stuff from you. I need answers.”

Valenti cleared his voice, “Answers would be good. Like was that really Alex?”

Maria pushed back from Michael a little, enough that she could see the rest of the room.

Isabel said sleepily from the floor, “Yeah, that really was Alex. He isn’t dead.”

Sean nodded, “Changeling. Just like I thought. I am surprised he was able to find you.”

Amy’s voice was worried, “This is interesting, but first, Michael what is wrong with my daughter?”

Michael’s voice was relieved. “She was nearly lost, Amy. I could feel the Balance try to take her. It was the shock of seeing Alex. Of the reality of him still being alive.”

Amy rubbed her forehead, “But she is okay, right?”

Michael nodded.

Valenti sighed, “And we are sure that it was actually Alex? Not just some figment or idea from that place?”

Michael said, “He was real enough.”

Maria nodded, tears coming to her eyes. Her friend was ALIVE!

Isabel said quietly, “He saved me. I wanted to die and he wouldn’t let me.”

Maria broke loose of Michael’s grasp and pulled one of Isabel’s hands to get her up. “You WANTED to die? After all we talked about last night? About being friends and winning back Max, and….”

Isabel took Maria’s help and got up. She hugged the smaller girl, “It was stupid. And I certainly don’t plan to do that again.” There was a momentary pause, “I will need all of your help though. Alex is on Antar, and we need to get him back!”

Maria nodded, her head still a little woozy from what had almost happened to her in the Balance. “Alex is my friend, Isabel. I will do whatever it takes to win him back.”

Isabel smiled.

Maria gave her a large hug. She could hear Sean and Valenti and Amy argue behind her. But it would e okay.

As long as they all stood together, she and her friends, they would win through.

Somehow.

------
Liz

Liz sat quietly as Max asked questions of her mother.

It was amazing how much she knew, and how little it helped. From the little her mother knew there could be as many as several thousand to as few as several hundred refugees from Antar and the Colonies on Earth.

Liz looked at Max. Why was he dancing around the real questions? “Why hide on Earth, Mom?”

Max raised his eyebrows and nodded. He calmly started on a waffle and watched Nancy.

Nancy nodded, “Two reasons really. One it is hard for either of the other major races to live here. Illiaster gives us much. Prolongs our lives, gives us powers….. But humans, most humans anyway, can live without it. An Aelowey would smother in a few hours. Illiaster starvation would first show signs similar to an asthma attack or altitude sickness. Soon followed by delusions, madness, and death. Not a fun way to go.” Nancy shook her head, “I was warned of it, as humans who live their whole lives in saturated lands like Antar can sometimes suffer lower levels of the disease.” She sighed and reached out to grab her husbands hand, “I know I experienced a form of it when I got pregnant with Liz. My body kept trying to help her develop, used too much Illiaster.”

Jeff said softly, “I almost lost you. More children aren’t worth that.”

Nancy smiled at her husband again, then looked over at Max and Liz, “You can understand why I might be concerned about the both of you. Both of you have lived your lives in Roswell, you SHOULD be acclimated. But are you? Lizzie developing her gifts gives me worries.”

Max asked, “Can you think of any reason me and my friends were placed here?”

Nancy shrugged, “To keep you safe maybe? I really don’t honestly know. Except a lot of what people have been telling you is false. I read Lizzie’s Diary.” She sent an apologetic look to Liz, “As far as I know, everyone thinks you are dead. And the idea of you paired off with anyone let alone Ava….” Nancy rolled her head back and laughed.

Both Max and Liz exchanged glances.

Nancy calmed down and put one hand on Max’s. “Max, all of you and your entourage were young. None of you were ready to settle down. Vilandra was probably closest, but even she was out there spreading her wild oats everywhere. She and Khivar….“ Nancy rolled her eyes and raised her hands. “Hopeless. Both you and Rath propositioned me during quiet points of the meeting. And I caught my second in a closet with Ava. Married? Bonded? Trust the Aelowey to treat a life or death meeting more like a party.” Nancy’s humor evaporated, “Before it all fell apart.”

Max sat forward, “What happened?”

Nancy shook her head, “I don’t really know. I know my group didn’t fire the first shot. I have run it over and over in my head, night after night for years. I just don’t know. Things got bad after that. I was the only one of my group to make it out. I suppose it could have been Khivar. He profited most by it. But, Max, the man is slick. A natural born politician, even if he is Hist. If he were the cause, I don’t think I would have made it. I don’t think there would have been as much chaos afterwards. And then there is the whole Vilandra issue.”

“But you are saying no one is really expecting us back?”

“Oh, the Queen Mother made a big decree saying she had saved you all somehow. That you all had some sacred task to accomplish, to fling a light into the future. That sort of thing. As to what it is you are supposed to do, or why she saved you…. I don’t know Max.”

Liz turned to Max, “So what do we do now?”

Max asked Nancy, “I need to share this with the others. Would you mind recounting it all again?”

Nancy squeezed Jeff’s hand, “Sure. I might even see if I can shake some free time to train you all a little better. Or at least see what I can do.” Nancy smiled at Liz.

Liz frowned, “You have known they might need help all this time. You have been watching over me. You could have helped us long before this. Why now?”

“Because you have fully chosen this young man. He didn’t Bond once in his two hundred plus life on Antar, and here he is fully Bonded with my baby. Life thy name is irony.” Nancy shook her head, “I have always been trying to protect you Liz. Trying to keep you out of all of this dangerous chaos. And it will be dangerous. There will be people out there trying to kill you both now. I can’t stop that. I can help you face it.”

Max simply said, “Thank you.”

Nancy stood up and looked down at both of them, “Max. You seem like a nice kid. And my daughter loves you. Don’t hurt her okay?” A wave of blackness rippled across every exposed inch of Nancy’s body. A long black blade stretched from her wrist to Max’s throat. Her voice was clear, “I would really hate to have to kill you again.”

Liz shot up to protect Max.

Her father placing a hand on her shoulder, “This is between them.”

Max calmly looked up, “I will do what I can to keep her safe, Mrs. Parker.”

“See that you do.” As quickly the black metal retreated and Nancy asked” Anyone need anything while I am up?”

And they finished breakfast in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

------
Alex

Alex cried out at the sudden pain as he returned to his body.

His hands! They hurt so much!

His tutor held his hands down, “Calmly now Alexander. I am impressed by what I saw today. When I was sent into Lady Milandara’s service, I was certain they had made a mistake. There was no way the hybrids would be born of such a woman.”

Alex had to see his hands. He had to! Why wouldn’t they open like he wanted to? Why couldn’t he let go of the Balance Stone?

The tutor continued, “I will not let the Lady know about your tryst. Or what it means. I am not entirely sure I understand.” He laughed giddily, “Prophecy. So much I do not understand. You hold answers for me, my student. But you are in no condition to tell me now.”

He struggled and writhed. He had to see. He had to know!

“But know this my pupil, I will protect you as I can. We have a long road to travel together you and I. What I am about to show you is not the end.” He held Alex’s shattered wrists above his face, “You will heal from this. This is not the end.”

Alex looked at his wrists. He could still feel his hands. He could still feel them grasping the Stone that had let him save Isabel. The Stone that had let him stay so long in that dangerous place to protect her.

But that was impossible. For his hands were gone, his wrists ending in broken stumps.

How could he help Isabel now?

He screamed in agony and frustration.

His tutor closed his eyes and a soothing darkness took him.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 8 - 05/10/2

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. I should warn you danger lies ahead for our heroes. Danger why? Well I had forgotten that after the Tex, they had school the next day. Tess wasn’t the only one watching the sky that day.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. Unfortunately we are still at the part where there are tons of things our characters don’t understand yet. But yep, Alex losing his hands is very relevant. Most importantly the how. Nancy has a few tricks up her sleeve.

valentine baby- Thanks. Not a lot of questions answered here, but you do get to meet some of the enemies minions. That has to count for something!

Begonia9508- Thanks. What Nancy used is a relic from when she was on Antar. It coated her body in a black substance that she then used to make a sword, to prove a point so to speak.

Natalie36- Thanks

Ellie- Thanks. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me. But in a couple of parts there will be a big meeting where everyone lays all the cards on the table.

Keepsmiling7-Thanks. Not a lot about Nancy in this part, although there will be some in the next.

AvalonRose- Thanks. That will be explained at the very end of this part.

Smac- Thanks and welcome aboard. Hope you continue to enjoy.

Mary mary- Thanks. Well, maybe. But I do have a reason. How and why he lost his hands is important to this story and its sequel.

Carrie- Thanks. Hope everything is better settled with you and your daughter. I see you’ve posted a few new parts I need to catch up on yours as well.

fairy asylum- Thanks

Cjsl8ne- Thanks.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 9

Maria

Maria watched as her boyfriend stepped out of the car gracelessly and waited for her. She opened the door to follow when her mother touched her on the arm. Maria looked back at her mother.

She hadn’t expected her to look so worried though.

“Look, Mom, me and Michael won’t take that last step until we have talked okay? I promise you, the last thing I want to do now is ruin my life with an unplanned pregnancy.” Maria said.

Amy’s face didn’t change. “That is good to hear. And I will hold you to it.” Amy sighed, “The truth is I will probably always think you are going to fast because you’re my baby. I don’t want to get in the way of your growing up, but there are so many pitfalls. And dealing with a man like him is one of them. Sooner or later he will likely leave. You do understand that?”

Maria looked over at Michael, “Maybe. But I love him, Mom. I didn’t want to, I just do.”

Amy pulled her closer.

Maria looked at her mother.

Tears were forming at the corners of her mother’s eyes as she held Maria close. “I know. I still love your father. I just couldn’t leave you behind.”

Maria’s voice was hushed, “You stayed for me?”

“Your father was involved with some dangerous business. As far as I know he still is. Staying here on Earth, his whole life here…. It was just him laying low and waiting for the heat to pass.” She took a deep breath. “He didn’t expect to fall for me either. He wanted me to leave with him. To enter his world. A world where I would stay young for centuries. A world of wonders and glories, but also horrific dangers. Too dangerous for a child without a settled family. And we would not be settled. It would not have been safe for either us or you.”

Maria looked up at her Mom. This was the most honest rendition she had ever heard. Oh, bits and pieces had slipped over the years. But there had always been something she had kept from him.

Of course the fact her father was a human from another world would have not exactly been believable until recently. Even now it was hard to believe.

Maria hugged her mother, “I love you Mom.”

They held each other for a moment before Amy pushed her back. “You need to get to class.” She reached into her purse, “Take this.” She handed Maria a small reddish crystal. “I told you not all my stuff was carp at the store. This is from Antar…. If they seriously snatched Alex, this will provide some protection.”

“Mom?”

Amy raised a hand for Maria to be quiet, “Your friends are likely able to protect themselves. Have Liz see me tonight.” She ran her hands through her hair. “If anything goes wrong and you can not contact me, contact Liz’s Mom. I don’t know her full story. Only that she was an aquatinted with your father. They weren’t friends, your father was much to frightened of her. Almost in awe. But Nancy and I have been good friends for years now. She will protect you, just as I would Liz. Now go.” She waved Maria off.

“But, what about Sean? Is it safe to just leave him alone at the house?”

Amy had a sardonic grin, “Sean just found a temp job of helping me at the store. I suspect an old broken down but handsome ex-Sherriff will be by to talk. With breakfast, and possibly with a local Pilates instructor slash Assistant Manager of the Crashdown.” Her face turned grim, “Things are getting serious, so you take care and be safe.”

Maria closed the door. “I love you Mom.”

Amy smiled at her. “Love you to honey,” And drove off.

Maria just stood there watching her mother pull away. She still had so many questions. And she was determined to get them answered.

Michael walked up next to her. “Well?”

“She didn’t really tell me any more. She will though. And I will let you know.” She tapped him lightly on the arm, “Just like you will tell me if you find out more about yourselves, right.”

Michael smiled, he actually smiled! “We are in this together, babe.” He shook his head wonderingly, and said softly, almost reverently, “We are in this together.”

Maria sighed and looked past him. School.

Michael followed her gaze and grumpily said, “We don’t actually have to go do we? Your mom would never know.”

“Oh, yes she would.” Maria began walking to the school entrance.

Michael grumbled. And followed. His voice was almost a whine as he said, “Why is it none of what happens out of school seems to affect it. Intergalactic invasion? Don’t forget a quiz tomorrow! Find out major stuff about who you are? Did you do your stupid homework?”

Maria quipped, “Which in your case is no.”

“Maria I am serious, things never change. And its all so pointless!”

Maria looked over her shoulder, “Do you really want to work at the Crashdown your whole life? I mean I like the Parkers and all, but I don’t want to be Agnes, you know? That means college. And college means High School Degree. So move it. Your pride would never survive being a house husband.” Maria half leered at him, “Although there might be some attractions.”

Michael met leer with one of his own, it switched to a double take. “Maria look.”

Max and Liz were walking into the main entrance, both oblivious to the attention they were drawing. People were making space for them as they walked hand in hand.

Usually for something this sappy, the faces would be full of interest and ridicule. Here it was an almost palpable sense of awe. But that stone her mother gave her gave her a few small jolts of warning. Because amongst those awestruck viewers were those who hated what they saw.

Maria said softly, “Something is wrong.”

Michael, “Maria it’s just school and….” His voice was breathless, “You are right. I need to talk with Max.”

He walked away from her. The slouch was gone and he moved purposefully towards his friend.

Maria followed.

Something had happened to her friends. And Maria had the sneaking suspicion that she wasn’t the only one who’d had her whole life upturned.

------
Liz

Entering the school had been a whirlwind of confusion after Michael clawed Max away. People kept commenting how good she looked. She even got asked out once by a very dense guy.

Watching Maria flay him alive with a couple words was priceless.

Her own head was still ringing from whatever her mother had done to Liz during her goodbye kiss.

What had she meant by catching her up? It made no sense!

Liz looked over at her friend. There was a red nimbus around her. But Liz knew somehow it was protective. Something to ask when they were safe. “There is so much I need to tell you.”

Maria nodded, “Me too. Last night was… Interesting to say the least. But so much of it is Czech related. My head just wants to spin…. But, for now my curiosity is all about you and Max!”

Liz felt her cheeks flush. Not even her new found powers could stop it.

Maria put her hands to her cheeks, “Oh, this has got to be good! Details, chica! I your best friend want to know how the two of you went from enemies to….” Her eyes widened, “Wait… The two of you wouldn’t, I mean you couldn’t have gone all the way!”

Liz felt like her head would burst into flame as she bit her lips and nodded.

Maria pulled her closer, “Oh, my poor fallen comrade. I need you to tell me everything! Me and Michael had a close encounter ourselves this morning. So I want to know what I missed.”

“You and Michael?”

“You first, in this as apparently other things. Talk!”

And so Liz gave her a brief synopsis - They did need to get to class.

So amidst blushes and giggles Liz told her about the night.

They were only a little late.

---
Michael-

Michael was mulling over what Max had told him. It was too important risk distraction, because his instincts were on fire.

They told him that today their boring little school was a trap. He had told Max as much,
But all Max said was to keep his eyes open. That they had hidden friends an enemies everywhere.

Michael could have told him that!

Except he wasn’t so sure about the friends. If they were on their side why hadn’t they shown themselves?

The lights flickered and died. They popped right back on, but Michael’s nerves were shrieking. They were under attack….

Michael checked his watch. Maria was in choir. Liz and Max in that Physics course. Isabel in that senior economics class. He didn’t know where Kyle was. But Tess was in PE.

His mouth opened in momentary grin as he remembered her whining about it.

She could take care of herself. They all could.

There was an eerie almost canine howl in the corridor.

He needed to protect Maria.

So he set off to find her.

------
Isabel

Isabel fixes her make up using the mirror. When she was home she felt safe just manipulating the substance into perfection. But she had to admit she almost enjoyed it better this way.

She had not been able to stop sobbing in Mrs. Reynolds class. It had just started pouring out of her.

Alex was alive. Unobtainable, but alive.

She needed him so very badly. To make real what had simply been a wondrous dream.

She wanted to hear his voice cry out her name,to taste his skin, to feel him move inside her…..

But how? How could she possibly get there.

No. She would not cry again. Not after all this work.

Tess walked through the door. Only there was something wrong with this Tess, Usually she felt an affinity for the girl.

Not so here. If anything she felt… wrong. Almost evil.

Tess grinned at Isabel, “Still crying over your pathetic human geek?”

“Tess! You knew him better than that”

“So pathetic. You could have been Queen. You could have ruled it all. And you content yourself with such small things!”

Isabel looked at Tess worriedly, “What has gotten into you?”

“Maybe I am tired of being on the losing side.”

The lights flickered and briefly went out. Isabel felt as something changed. Almost as if there were more air. Or that the oxygen became richer. She felt a moment of exhilaration.

Which changed to horror as the lights flicked back on. Tess’s face had distorted, her mouth pushing forward to form a dogs muzzle. One full of sharp teeth. “You’ve been crying for Alex, why don’t you let me help you join him.”

Isabel quipped, drawing on her powers, “My God, Tess, you should brush more often. Your breath is terrible.”

‘Tess’ swung one clawed hand across Isabel’s throat, tearing it out.

All thoughts of attack fled as she struggled to breathe, breathing her hearts blood more than air through her tattered wind pipe. She fell to her knees, amazed at how weak she felt. But the power still buzzed in her. Still ready to strike.

‘Tess’s’ voice sounded distorted, feral, “I will enjoy eating your Princess. And with your mana, I will be strong enough to take over the Pack.” She laughed, “Oh, the others may share in you. The Pack will need your strength. Perhaps strong enough to overthrow our masters. But your liver and heart and pretty brown eyes are mine.”

With the last of her strength Isabel touched the monster. And channeled all the energy she could summon into it.

And the world went black.

-----
But it did not end.

She was on the beach with Alex.

A dream. This was a dream.

Alex looked over at her, “We aren’t doing so well right now are we?”

Isabel noticed Alex’s hands were missing. “What happened?”

In this odd dream, her wounds were still there but she could talk.

Alex said, looking at the stumps where his hands were, “When I saved you… I did something. Pushed them too far or something. But I can still feel them. Still feel them gripped about that damn stone. Even now. Tutor said they will be making prosthetics good enough I won’t know the difference.” He looked up at her again. “I don’t know. If you are ready, we can leave. I don’t think either of us could die alone. Not now.”

“I am not ready to die, Alex. I want you to love me. In the real world. I want to feel your child’s kick inside of me. I want so much/”

Alex looked over at her seriously, “Then I will have to fix you.” He stared at his nonexistent hands.

And the world finally went dark.