Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Epilogue - 02/12/12

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 19 - 01/29/

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. Next part is their departure. That will be followed by an epilogue. Note there will be a sequal to Whisper as well.

Timelord31- Thanks

Mt. Gazer- Thanks. And thanks for helping me with the hidden chapter and getting that at least partly out of my system. That would have DEEPLY caused problems Hope you like what replaced it.

keepsmiling7- Thanks. There will be a sequal mind. But I dont like to leave things half done.

AvalonRose- Thanks. You will find out about Khivars gifts to Max and Liz in the last part.

mary mary- Thanks. I hope you will continue to enjoy.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 20

Michael

Michael rushed to the hotel that Isabel had mentioned she was in. He was more than a little concerned that she had pleaded with him to pick up some clothing at home. She had also asked him not to tell anyone more than he was picking her up.

Michael was half convinced this could be an ambush. But something in how her voice had stated everything made him see how important that he came alone.

He had always loved her, if not in the fashion he had once thought he would. She had always considered him a brother figure, but Michael had always carefully hidden that he saw her as more. She was always so lovely how could he not have a crush on her so to speak.

Also unspoken was the fact that both of them were similar, that there were bridges between himself and Isabel that were unbridgeable gaps to any of the other boys she might date. Or so he had once thought. Maria had taught him otherwise. Maria had seen those differences and had accepted him. No the differences she wanted to pound out of him were his human foibles.

Michael’s lips quirked in a small smile. He would get her back. He could even feel a tiny bit of her through his connection. He knew that she was alive. And as long as that remained so he still had a chance to save her.

And he would.

He breezed into the hotel and walked towards the elevator. He notice that this was not a quickie motel. No, who ever had taken Isabel had spent some serious money to rent a room here.

Maybe the reason he thought he had been called here was wrong. He certainly hoped so. Michael had been talking to Nancy when Isabel had left the wedding.

He shivered as he remembered that conversation. Asking him whether he would be true to what his previous incarnation had stood for. Would he stand by Max and Liz no matter what? Or would he be swayed by whatever was going on with Maria? Which was more important to him now?

Michael had wanted to lie to her. To tell her at the very least he didn’t know. Because he truly wasn’t sure. But he was fairly sure he would choose Maria over Max. And that revelation had shaken him.

The elevator opened and he walked to the room Isabel had told him too. He sighed and cleared his thoughts. He had to be able to deal with Isabel and whatever problem had enveloped her. He summoned his powers to him, on the off chance he got involved in some sort of fight with the man who had taken her.

He knocked.

A shaken sounding Isabel answered, “Come in!”

The door was locked, but that was easily fixed. He opened the door.

The room looked more like a small but richly appointed apartment than a hotel room. He walked into what would be almost a living room. On one of the chairs wrapped in a blanket was a sobbing Isabel. In her hand was the phone she had called him on.

Michael said softly, “Isabel?”

She kept crying and didn’t pay any attention to him.

Michael swallowed a bit and said even softer, “Vilandra?”

Isabel looked up at him, her large eyes full of tears. “I slept with him, Michael. Even after all this time he still has that much claim to me.” She looked away, “Or did. I told him never again. That I, that I was with Alex now.”

“You slept with, with that man who talked to you at the wedding? What were you thinking?”

Isabel laughed harshly, “Not just any man, Michael. Khivar. I just slept with Khivar!” She shook her head in a mix of disbelief and shame. “If I couldn’t still feel the effects I could almost doubt it myself.”

“He raped you? Khivar raped you?”

Isabel laughed almost hysterically, “He didn’t have to! I was willing, more than willing! Vilandra took over. She had been waiting for this. She had been waiting my whole life just to find him again. To regain the wonder.” A blush filled her face and one hand slipped into the blanket briefly caressing one of her breasts before heading further south.

Michael looked away. For Isabel was naked under that blanket. He could feel his heart race.

Isabel continued, “I loved him Michael. Or maybe I should be talking to Rath now, but, you are here and he is part of you. So, it’s the same I think.” She took a deep sigh, “I loved him.”

Michael grumbled out, “So your with him now? Alex is forgotten and abandoned.”

Isabel said calmly, “No. I love Alex. Don’t think Khivar didn’t offer. That his offers were not persuasive. But as much as Vilandra loved him, the part of me that is Isabel loves Alex more. Alex understands me as me. Khivar understood Vilandra, but she is only a part of me.”

Michael’s voice was harsh, “And then there is the whole fact he killed us.”

“No he didn’t. Oh, he took full advantage of the chaos that our deaths caused. AND he was indeed there. So was Nancy. And just like Nancy he claims that he didn’t shoot first.”

“Right. Of course he would say that! You can’t trust him Isabel.”

Isabel’s laugh was sardonic, “Not even the part of me that is Vilandra trusts the man. Khivar always has an angle”

“Then why did you sleep with him? It makes no sense.” He turned back to face Isabel, who was safely wrapped again.

“A last good bye? Maybe an effort to claim me? I don’t know. But he could have simply taken me if he had wanted to. He didn’t have to leave me here so I could call for someone to pick me up. He gave me the option to stay or leave as I wished.” Isabel smiled, “It was actually quite cute, him ranting at himself over the whole issue. And how he should simply keep me just to keep me safe.”

“Did he tell you why he was here?”

Isabel smiled wryly, “He wanted to attend Liz and Max’s wedding. Nothing more than that. He has gifts for them and an offer.” She smiled even brighter, “He even knows they will decline on the later.” She looked back in the room. “He even got something for you.” She was careful gathering the blanket she was wrapped in didn’t slip and she walked into the bedroom.

Michael followed. The bed itself was thoroughly rumpled and Michael could see articles of clothing littering the room. The room also faintly smelled of sweat and sex.

This had really happened. Isabel had really slept with a man she refered to as Khivar. This was not some dream of his where they were all going to die. This was real

And they still could all be moments from death.

Still it made him wonder. What would someone like Khivar want to give him?

Isabel reached into the wardrobe by the bed and pulled out what looked to be a pair of jeans and a bomber jacket. There was also a set of work gloves that Michael just ached to put on.

Isabel sighed, “He said that there were boots that were supposed to complete the outfit, but that you likely didn’t have the training to use them. Still he said the armor is fairly basic and easy to use.” She grinned, “He figures that if there is anything you will recover from Rath, using those gauntlets will be one of them.”

Michael had already reached for them. They were worn but he knew them. “They were mine.” Michael said wistfully. Were they a trap of some kind? He slipped them on regardless.

He could feel the patterns built into the gauntlets mingle with his powers. A part of him wanted to use them now. To show himself that he hadn’t forgotten. But even with his heightened control he could easily take out a wall.

Michael looked down at them and smiled, a tear slipping down his face. “Why?”

Isabel smiled at him, “Two reasons. One he loves me. He gave me a few things too. But I know you won’t trust that. And that you SHOULDN’T.” Her grin turned wry, “It helps him on Antar more if we are alive than if we are dead. We weaken their political positions.”

Michael shot her a look.

Isabel sighed, “I don’t know exactly what he means by that. Only that he considers it the truth. He knows we are coming back for Liz’s child. He didn’t ask me where we were going, he cared, but he didn’t pry.” Isabel laughed, “Just as well that I don’t know.”

Michael waved around the room, “Is this going to be a problem?”

Isabel sighed, “I will have to tell Max and Liz at some point. But not today. Please let them have today.” She looked around the room, a part of her wistfully, “This was part of my past. We all knew that. We just didn’t realize the possible implications. Michael there is a part of me that knows Khivar, that knows how dangerous he is. If it became in his interest for us all to die, he would kill us. Even me, although tears would be involved. Back in the day, when we were all killed it wasn’t by him, because it wasn’t in his interest. If it had been things would have been different.”

“But if Khivar wasn’t the one who was responsible, then who? Everyone seems to think if was Khivar.”

“Politics. Antaran Politics.” She laughed, “When this is all done, we might all want to move back to Earth just to get out of it.”

Michael shrugged. “So what now?”

“I take a shower and we return to the party. The remote is over there. I will try not to take too much time.” She grabbed the clothing he had brought and walked into the large bathroom.

Michael walked back into the living room and turned on the TV. He watched ESPN, but his mind was truthfully on other things. His hands from time to time would caress the battle gauntlets that had once been Rath’s. Such a magnificent present.

But he would not be bought. Rath never had been, nor would Michael. He would be loyal to those who had earned his loyalty. To those who were his friends and family.

Maria. His thoughts always ended there. He would find his small love and he would keep her safe no matter what.

--
Alex

Alex stood there panting. His Tutor looked at him impassively, still lightly moving his sword.

When his Tutor had told him he was going to be adding a few neglected classes to his already full day, Alex had been intrigued. His Tutor was turning into one of his few allies in Malindara’s Court. The man was fully honest with Alex.

But swordplay? What? They didn’t even do that for more than games on Earth. Here on Antar with all the advanced technology and the fact that those with training could blast with their bare hands…

Swords?

The Tutor quietly said, “I should send you on more runs to build up your endurance. The weight regimen has helped your muscular development, but you will never a strong as some others might be. You will have to make up for that in flexibility and speed. Both of which I think are easily within your reach.”

“If I may speak?”

The Tutor nodded.

“Why swords? I know you can used powers and technology to do most of your fighting so why swords?”

“Three things, my friend. One is that it is good exercise. It keeps you limber and able to move quickly if you must. Two it teaches you things. How to spot openings in someone’s defenses. How to notice a feint and how to counteract it.” He smiled, the Tutor very rarely smiled, “But mostly as you find yourself increasing in rank you may find yourself open for duels. And while you would beat many at a duel arcane, you will not always have privilege on choosing the weapons. I must make sure you are proficient and skilled at all of them.” Another smile, “Firearms start next week.”

Alex grumbled slightly.

There was a commotion around the grounds. A large number of the House soldiers marching to vehicles. A small contingent of fighters was also being prepared.

Alex motioned at them, “I don’t suppose you know what is going on?”

The Tutor was enigmatic, “I do not know the details but Malindara is preparing for some military action it seems.” He shook his head, “Now is not the time to worry about it. For now, back to our lesson.”

And they fought.

--
Liz

Liz was giddy as the two of them moved to their hotel room. She was married! To Max!

No Vegas elopement. No meeting their friends in Phoenix. No. Married with their parents full consent. All of them. She had felt strange holding onto a crying Diane Evans, being told she was good for her boy.

Life was truly strange.

She knew there was a story to Isabel’s disappearance. But she had willfully decided not to pry. Tomorrow would be soon enough. So many problems would face them tomorrow.

So many changes all coming so fast.

Max stopped both of them at the door and opened it. He looked down at Liz, “This is real? Please tell me this is real?”

Liz simply kissed him.

Max lifted her up and carried her over the doorway.

Liz said huskily, “This is real Max. I am real. It is all real. Tonight, tonight it just us. No Antar, no baby, nothing but us.”

“Nothing but us.” He agreed.

And they made love.

--
Amy

Amy quietly walked into her house. So quiet now. Sean, well the alien who was impersonating Sean, had gone out with some of the other people he had met at the wedding. Nancy and Diane had invited her for some drinks.

She simply hadn’t felt like it.

She realized as soon as she was in the main room she was not alone. Someone was rummaging through Maria’s room.

She grabbed her key ring. One part had mace, the other one of her defensive crystals. She didn’t know what part of her life was invading so was only common sense to be prepared for both.

A handsome well-dressed man was going through Maria’s dresser. On the bed were neat piles of clothes enclosed in some sort of plastic covering.

A second later she realized this was the man that had called himself Khivar. She backed up. Had her call to him ruined everything for those poor kids?

The man’s deep voice called out, “You might as well come in Amy, I know you are there. I can call you Amy, right?”

“What are you doing here?”

He turned and faced her, “Getting clothes for your daughter. I can easily dress her in Antaran clothing, but she will feel more comfortable in these. At first anyway.”

“You don’t plan on returning her do you?”

Khivar stopped, “At the end of the day, she will be free to go. But I want to give her options. I have gone over her school records, and my agents records of her… And well outside of her hobbies she doesn’t really see much of a future here on Earth. Probably get a mindless desk job somewhere if she was lucky. She fears the Cheese Factory is her future for some reason.”

“My Maria is brighter than that! She will find something.”

Khivar nodded, “Yes she will. But the education situation she is currently in is not conductive to a well balanced education. That much I can provide her, as well as opportunities that simply do not exist here on Earth.” He shook his head, “And that is all not considering the extensive health benefits she will have by living on Antar. I will return her to when she is an adult or asks me to leave. I can certainly set up visitation as well.”

“So you have her, then? She is safe?”

“No. That is my next destination is to buy her. And if that doesn’t work simply take her.” He cocked his head aside, “Are there any items that she will need? Any of these stuffed animals or trinkets that she particularly cares for?”

“If she isn’t safe, why are you here? You said you would make her safe. I betrayed everything to….”

“Are you talking about today? No I have other agents in Roswell.” He stopped a moment. “You know if you wish, you could come with us. I will need to return you at some point, but you could help me acclimate poor Maria.”

“I, I don’t know.”

He nodded, “You have thirty minutes to make up your mind. My transportation will be here then. And if you can think of anything Maria might need in that time let me know.”

Amy walked out into the living room, the rustling continuing behind her.

What should she do now?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 20 - 02/09/

Post by PML »

The last part. Epilogue to follow shortly. Thanks for following along.

Mt. Gazer- Thanks.

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

Mary Mary- Thanks. I lack the patience of those wise enough to finish their stories before posting. Keeping each substory relatively short lets me know I will actually finish it. and I will.

AvalonRose- Thanks. Poor Isabel indeed. Amy takes your advise. Trusting Khivar... not a good investment policy. His deal with Malindara is simple. He devotes himself to helping her provide a hybrid, she will make him worthy the hand of a princess.

--
Whisper of a Distant Dawn part 21

Tess-

Tess attended the fair well breakfast that was being held at the Crashdown. The regular business was closed for the morning, only those invited were let in. Although the always money conscious Jeff Parker was serving outside and take out orders.

She had been surprised they had let her in. She was after all a traitor. Perhaps had she more time she would have been able to make it up to them, prove her worth. But there simply wasn’t time. Not given how fast events had come to pass.

Tess was not surprised how cold most of those who were attending were towards her.

She deserved it. She did. But it hurt. Oh, how it hurt.

Tess not only had to watch a group of people she had come to view as her family leaving for a home she wanted so desperately to return to, but also to see herself completely replaced. No longer was she the Queen figure, Max and Liz looked so happy….

She quietly walked up to them and said “Congratulations to both of you. I, I didn’t feel like I could tell you yesterday. I, I didn’t feel welcome.” She looked up at them, Liz was impassive, but Max had a look of contempt he did not hide. “I am sorry for all that I have done. And, and if you ever return, I hope that you will be proud of what I do.”

Max looked away.

Tess winced. His hatred hurt her so very badly!

Liz just quietly said, “When we get back, and someday I do want to return. We should talk. Start over. Things didn’t have to be this way. If you had only been open to what was right before you. If you hadn’t tried to change things….” Liz shook her head, “I don’t know. I think we could have been friends though. I sense that it is still possible.” She said softly, “Someday.”

Tess nodded, “But not today. I will do what I can to protect your friends and family, Liz. I will do what I can to protect the Earth.” She smiled wryly, “It is my home now after all.”

“Be good to Kyle.” Liz said.

“I will.” Tess walked away. She stopped in front of Isabel. Isabel was seated next to her parents and they were discussing old funny incidents from her childhood. Tess stopped before bothering her.

Isabel just glared at her briefly and iced her out.

Yes. It had been her fault that Alex had been captured after all But how could she have known what would happen to the likable guy? How could she know that Malindara would take a shine to him and replace him with a Doppleganger?

But still the whole situation was simply part of what Tess had brought. It was her fault. She hadn’t meant it to happen but it had. And now Isabel’s lover was in that madwoman’s hands.

Tess walked on. She was about to simply walk past a solo Michael, who had surprisingly asked to help cook the meal. If Isabel was cold to her, how much more angry would the volatile Michael be.

He put a hand on her arm. “Stop.”

Tess was slightly fearful as she turned back to face him. His face was impassive as it usually was. Outside of anger it was usually hard to see what Michael was thinking. And that anger was there.

Once she had been stronger than him. Or at least better trained. But she was broken now. Her powers damaged beyond repair. Perhaps Max could fix her, but there was no way he would. Not given what she had done.

It was a hard thing to feel. To know that you were now the weakest in the room. Now that she knew how to look, she could tell that some of the humans were stronger than she was.

It was humiliating. But it was her life now. She would make do.

For now.

Michael said softly, “You really screwed things up, you know that right?”

“Kind and tactful as always, huh, Michael?”

“I can see it in your eyes. You fucked up royally, and now you are trying to move on. To recover.” He closed his eyes, “Well I hope you do. And I hope that one day you, me, Maria and Kyle can sit at your table and shoot the breeze. But we live with what we have got.”

Tess looked up at him, “Why are you being so nice to me. Well Michael style nice anyway.”

Michael grabbed her arm and pushed her over to a corner. “Look of the two of us, you and me have the most realistic outlooks. You know that what we are all going into is a death trap. Most likely we are all going to die. Khivar knows we are coming. And even if he’s not the one to gun us down, there are others who I am sure would be more than happy to.”

“Malindara.”

“Exactly. Others to. I doubt there are many who want us to suddenly pop up. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.” He rubbed his eye brow ridge. “If, if you could occasionally look up on Laurie, I would appreciate it. I asked Valenti to, but you still have powers. And well.”

Tess felt a little more solid with a reason for his being nice to her. She hadn’t really had much to do with the girl, but if helping her made Michael less angry with her. If she could escape being hated by all of them….

Michael’s voice was gruff, “And I don’t know if I ever did this, but um, thanks for last summer. All the practice.”

Tess softly smiled, “You put it to good use, big guy. Don’t go down without a fight.” She smiled much larger, “Better still if you don’t go down at all. I want that day with you and Maria at our table. Bring your kids.”

Michael was bright eyed and grunted. “Need to cook some more for all these folks. Sit down and I will make a plate for you.”

Tess walked back to where Kyle was sitting with Valenti. “Still nothing from Amy?”

Kyle took another bite from a piece of toast and shook his head.

Valenti sighed, “It may be a while before she wants to speak with me.” He looked at the two of them, “And I do understand. I don’t know what I would do if someone had known about all the danger and hid it from me.” He looked at Tess, “Have you decided?”

Tess nodded, “I will keep the child. I know it’s too early for any test to show yet, but I know.” She looked over at Liz, “If Malindara hadn’t broken me I would be in the same shape as Liz.”

Kyle spoke up, “I will take Sean’s offer. What about you Dad?”

Valenti nodded. He sighed, “It will be strange with them gone.”

Kyle was inscrutable as he examined his breakfast.

Tess said, her face filling with tears, “I will miss them. I will miss them all.”

And she cried.

--
Liz

They stood outside of the Pod Chamber. The ship was ready, but it was so hard to finally leave the home that all of them had known. In truth it was the people that made it so hard.

Liz had dreamt about leaving Roswell most of her life. Getting away from the small town and going into the big world to find a place in it.

This situation was a little ridiculous. She was leave in a space ship to take her place among royalty of another world. How would they be received? Would it be as Michael expected? That they would be fighting from the moment they launched?

Or would it be the ambush Isabel expected?

Max didn’t put forward a scenario, he merely planned to deal with them all. She had to smile. He was such a worry wort. But she loved him so much anyway.

Besides she was the same in her own way.

Isabel had conducted her parents on a little tour of the Pod Chamber, showing them where their children had been born. Diane Evans in particular was almost hysterical over the whole situation, clinging not only to Max and Isabel, but also to her. And the grandchild she might never see.

Sean had promised that he could set up a way they could maintain communication, but it would not be the same. They would be so far away.

Max was currently inside the ship itself examining it with her father. Her father was giving her husband last minute advice.

Her husband! She was married! To Max!

It was hard to think that things might go badly for them. She was on such a personal high. But then all she had to do was look at Isabel and Michael and know that these things could be so very brief.

She stared down at the gem that now graced her neck. It was according to Sean a shield of some sort. Very powerful and very old. It could protect her from most attacks, physical or mental. It had other abilities, all of which were geared to making sure the possessor survived no matter what.

Max had one too.

These were among the gifts Khivar had given them, along with an orb that could directly contact him. Both Michael and Isabel had been given things too. All of them had been inspected by Sean. And all of them were legitimate.

Liz wished the other two had shields, but Isabel had been right in stating that politically both of them were more important. That there survival was key to their usefulness.

Liz shivered. Isabel had told her this morning of her liaison with Khivar. Her tone had been cool and collected, but Liz could see how broken up the whole affair had been.

It hurt but they would have to keep an eye on Isabel.

Liz sighed. All of this was over her. Over her current situation. She had been pregnant for only a few days now and already her baby was the equivalent of over six weeks along. And developing fast.

Her mother told her this was natural, that this was how it should be. But it felt so strange happening inside her.

Nancy walked over and gave her a huge hug. “I can’t believe I am losing you so soon!”

“I am sorry, Mom. I didn’t mean for this to happen.” Liz rubbed her belly. “But I do love Max. I love him so much.”

“I am sure you do. But while you are gone, do not forget your heritage. You represent not only those of us on Earth, but the Arledal House.” She smiled sadly, “You are likely the last. Maybe someone managed to hide, but I doubt it. They wanted us dead. And they will want you dead. Not just for your husband but also for the legacy you bear.”

“Mom?”

Nancy pulled off one of the several rings she had always worn. “This ring will indicate your place. And it will reveal itself to you in time, as it did me. Make me proud.” Nancy slid the ring on Liz’s finger and then pulled her close and held her.

They stood there for a long time.
--

???

It had been so close. If that other slave hadn’t panicked she might have made it.

He had tried to stop her and she had paused ever so slightly in blasting him. He had been a fellow captive, surely he would either try to escape or at the very least let her go?

Getting out of his grip had taken precious seconds. Seconds she hadn’t had.

Now she was accepting the pain of the whip as it stripped the flesh off her body.

Next time she would have to be more careful. Assuming there would be a next time. There was no way she would be bought now. Not after attempting an escape during a show. Not after killing her first master, one that had decided to taste her before the psychic locks were switched to protect him.

it was why she had taken that opportunity in the first place. It had seemed like such a good chance.

Now she would be lucky if they left her with a real mind. They might strip out her brain and replace it with some crystals. Sure her personality would be incredibly shallow, but who was looking for personality in a sex slave?

Or maybe they would simply whip her to death and use her for parts. Her ovaries were definitely gone. She might be a problem, but her eggs could still fetch a fortune. If not as much as they would have with a lithe nubile body attached.

The whipping suddenly stopped. There was the sound of gunfire and arguing.

She rested against the rack waiting for what was to be next. A mindwipe? The operation to take her potential?

There was the sound of the cell being opened and a woman rushed to her side. The woman babbled in some foreign language that she felt she should know.

She should.

She looked up at the crying woman and stared into her eyes, A bright blue green. Not the same color as hers but close. She reached out and used her new senses, they were weakened by the suppressor but not enough to block her at a touching range. Not for something this simple.

Family. Close. Very close.

She closed her eyes and let the alien tongue wash over her and fill her. Yes. Amy. Her mother.

Maria. Me. I am Maria.

She opened her eyes and said softly and slowly, “I love you Mommy.”

And darkness took her.
--

Isabel

Isabel held her mother closely and whispered, “I will be back. I love you, Mom.” She reluctantly parted and followed the other travelers into the Pod Chamber.

There had been so many tearful good byes. Isabel could not believe that it was finally time. That they were now going and not coming back for some time.

Sean’s changes to where the ship would go would help them, but the enemy would likely be able to be able to adjust. They had to find a place of safety before that happened.

Sean had listed several. But the one they were pretty sure was their best bet was the Old Queens Estate. No one would attack them there. What they would do afterwards might be problematic but they would at least be safe.

But first they had to get there.

She walked towards the Granolith and pressed her hands to it. That was how Max had said he had entered. It took a moment as she saw a little vortex form inside the crystal.

And suddenly she was inside the crystal itself. She stared again from it at the room that had housed the Granolith so long. And she watched as the door closed to the Pod Chamber one last time.

The Pods would likely be destroyed when they left. Nothing left to remind anyone that they had been there but the few fleeting memories. Isabel looked down and cried. She simply couldn’t stop.

it wasn’t that she didn’t want to leave. That she didn’t need to save Alex,. It was just that she was leaving all she had known for a total unknown. And her mother had only truly known her for such a short time. She glared over at Max.

She looked at him for only a moment before her glare softened. Yes she was mad at him about the whole keeping the secret from their parents ordeal, but in truth he had done it only to keep them safe. She had had a long talk with him this morning about the past year, and so much of what he had done had simply been for that.

Wrong-headed and muddled, but she hadn’t made it any easier. She looked Michael who was sitting at his place in the ship and starring off into space. Liz had her eyes closed but her hand held Max’s so very tightly….

Family. They were her family. And she would be there for them as they would be there for her.

Max looked up at her, “Ready to go?”

Isabel shook her head, “But we still need to. So we should go.”

Liz said quietly, “Our families have backed far enough away to be safe. We can go now. Michael do you see the flight window we need?”

Michael nodded, “So very close to Roswell. A gate in the air. Wow. This is where we must have come from before….”

Isabel said softly, “Before we crashed.”

Max said, “Let’s go.”

And the ship launched.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Whisper of a Distant Dawn (CC , Mature) Part 21 - 02/11/

Post by PML »

Alright, so last night I was on a bit of a roll. I managed to finish the Epilogue as well, which covers the Royals return to Antar. As for the sequal it should start in March. I hope to have End finished by then. And maybe I can even figure how to get myself out of the box I painted myself into in my failed NANO attempt. Wish me luck there.

Thank you all for following along, and I hope you enjoy the final bit of Whisper of a Distant Dawn.

Whisper of a Distant Dawn part Epilogue

Max

Max stood and rushed to Liz’s side. He felt as first Isabel and then Michael died. He could feel tears slip down his face.

How had things gone so wrong.

Liz looked up at him and smiled softly. “I’m okay. I don’t know how, but I am.”

Max looked down at the shattered gem at his throat. “Khivar’s gifts saved us. But Michael and Isabel.”

Liz looked away. “My fault. All my fault.”

Max pulled her closer, “No, don’t say that!” He looked up as someone cleared their throat.

A tall woman surrounded by guards stood a few feet away. “Max Evans?”

“Yes?”

“Why are you here? Why did you come back? I didn’t make you to come back. You were supposed to stay there, to help the humans of Earth adjust…”

“I had to, my wife…”

“Is with child. The Heir? Truly the Heir?”

“Yes.”

The woman nodded, “I am Queen Mother Riana. I would welcome you more, but… You have ruined everything Max Evans! You were not supposed to bring the Granolith back with you. I, I… Take them away. And treat them well. I will see them later.”

As Max stood he held onto Liz. Had this been some horrible mistake? Had he made things even worse?

Liz exchanged glances with him.

Perhaps. But as long as the two of them were together there was a chance. They would avenge their friends and loved ones. Those they could not save.

He promised. He might be weak now, but he was King. He could feel the authority pour back into him. It might take years. But they would succeed.

If not in his lifetime, in that of his children.

He would accept nothing less.

--
Isabel

Isabel awoke her body screaming in pain. It was hard to breathe and she felt like she was in deep water. She could vaguely feel her legs, but they felt like they were being crushed.

And it was so very dark.

She weakly used her powers to provide a little light. She whimpered in pain and fear. Her legs were indeed pinned under part of the armor of the ship. That curling of armor was also the only thing that was providing the air bubble she was in.

And it was shrinking.

She could feel the beginnings of hysteria. Where was Max? Or Liz or Michael? She reached out for them with her mind.

Nothing.

She was alone.

There was a loud groan and the wreckage moved slightly. A large bubble of air went with it and the water began to creep up her chest. How long did she have? Minutes? Hours?

In a panic she called out to Alex. She could feel as he paused and sensed her concern. Both of them communed and pooled their thoughts.

Alex could bring her back to life, but she would remain where she was. He couldn’t change her environment. Isabel could. But beyond the pieces of wreckage of her ship, she felt nothing but the seabed and water.

And the armor that both pinned her and provided the air she could breathe would resist her powers.

She couldn’t die, but there was no way to save her. Not at the moment.

So she left her body behind and retreated into Alex. She felt as her mind slept, her soul cradled by Alex.

And so she stayed for a very long time.

--
Michael-

Michael’s mouth was twisted in a ruthless grin. Of all of his friends he was the last on board the ship.

It was a toss-up who had been right between Michael and Isabel over their expected fate. For they had been attacked almost immediately after launching, while still in Earth airspace.

What the US government thought of several dogfighting alien fighters chasing a larger ship, Michael figured he’d probably never know. Not now.

The ship that the Granolith made had been armed, thankfully. But it wasn’t as fast or maneuverable as the fighters that had come after them. But what it lacked in agility it more than made up in shields and firepower.

Enemy ships had poured after them, many of them which now lay littered across a dozen worlds as the hybrids had made their way to Antar.

It was at Antar itself that things became difficult. For a massive ambush had been waiting near their exit point. And while their ship had been better than the opposition, there were simply too many.

Eventually the shields had given way and the airframe itself became vulnerable. Michael could still feel as the portion of the ship that had held Isabel had been ripped away…. As her mind had left the network of minds that had powered the ship.

Michael knew then what needed to be done. The pieces of the ship were still tumbling to the ocean as he took a daring jump to near the Old Queens Estates and jettisoned Max and Liz.

He had felt as they had sensed his intentions. But he had communed with the Granolith and it had concurred. The child Liz carried was too important, and that Max as the King also needed to be saved.

The speed at which he deposited them would have killed anyone else, but the Granolith assured him that the defensive tokens that Khivar had given them would protect them from it.

Two small craters later he was streaking back over the brilliant blue seas of Antar. Rath had been one of the best pilots of his generation, and between those ancient memories, dredged up by the Granolith, and its own assistance, he was still alive.

But the ships engines were now over worked and the last shot had done too much damage to his airframe to depend on it. Once his gravitic power failed he would be flying a stylized rock.

He took one last look at the map to find out the location he would die in.

Dimaris Rock. Life had such irony.

In a dream he had slept with Maria. Something that he now wished he had done with her in the real world. She hadn’t been ready. Nor really had he.

But they simply would never have another opportunity.

Michael smiled one last time, his thoughts on Maria as the gravitic engine gave out and he rapidly approached the beach….

A burst of brilliant white followed by endless black.

---
End of A Whisper of a Distant Dawn, tune in for Silence Amidst the Blackest Night
Last edited by PML on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.