Never Surrender (CC MM/ Mature) 3/3 Complete - 12/28/11

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Never Surrender (CC MM/ Mature) 3/3 Complete - 12/28/11

Post by PML »

Title- Never Surrender

Author- PML

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine. It is owned by Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, and Fox. This is for entertainment only and no infringement is intended.

Category- CC- MM

Rating- Mature

Summary- This story takes place during Graduation. Michael has just left Maria for good. Well read the quote below, the story starts right after. And yep, that is a quote from the Crashdown from the Episode Graduation- just to make the proper attribution. This is a mini fic of a different path that could have happened during that episode. The other couples will be mentioned, but this is primarily a candy fic.

Michael: I am... but I just wanted... I dunno.
Maria: --t'say goodbye?
Michael: (struggles to form words, then speaks.) ...I wanted to say that this thing has been screwed up from the beginning. You and me. Us. Just the whole long, stupid story...
Maria: ...Thanks...
Michael: But I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's meant so much to me, y'know. From day one, from the moment I kidnapped you and stole your car... I knew you were the girl for me. I never wanted anyone else...
Maria: Michael... (takes a step towards him, sad, but touched.)
Michael: I still don't. Just... Wherever I'm goin', whatever I'm doin', just know I'll always love you.

Part one of three.

Maria watched in pain as the man she loved drove away. She wanted to call out, to call him back. To change all that had happened this whole horrible year.

But she couldn’t. Any more than she could erase last year. Any more than she could bring Alex back.

“Huh. Mom is right. One by one all the important men in my life really will leave me.” She walked slowly to her house and fixed a drink for herself.

She didn’t really feel anything. She knew she should. But she didn’t.

‘Shock. I am in shock. I feel nothing. My heart is crushed. Destroyed. And yet… Nothing.’

She fixed herself a sandwich. Amazing. Her heart was dead and yet she still felt hungry. Huh. Absently she made a Galaxy Melt the way she always had for Michael. Only this time she ate it herself.

It was actually pretty good. A little too spicy with the Tabasco, but she had actually become fond of the sauce. She hated to think how long she would have to run to get rid of all those calories, but she had needed that.

She walked to her bedroom and sat. She smiled as she pictured a face framed outside the window in the rain. That was what had changed her feelings for him. She’d been attracted to him for a while. But to see him vulnerable. To see a human side to him, that had changed her feelings towards him. Even if she had been able to admit it to herself.

Maria laughed as she remembered her mother’s actions that morning. IF the woman only knew! If she knew how far along that road Maria had traveled with Michael on later days.

No more time at that apartment. No more fighting and making up. No more dropping in and making love for no real reason. Billy had come on to her. Even one of the music executives had made some comments.

But none of the were Michael. Kissing Billy had felt… wrong. Michael had ruined her.

And outside of the fact she would never see him again, she didn’t care. She would she supposed. When the shock wore off. When her feelings returned.

She could feel them slowly returning. Tiny cracks in her emptiness. Raw worn feelings ready to rush over her. She could feel, almost see the traces of sorrow and anger and guilt that were streaming toward her. Ready to bury her entire.

Chocolate. And Ice Cream. Barrels of Ice Cream.

But who would she eat them with? Her mother? They were barely on speaking terms anymore.

Certainly not Liz. Not Liz who was now part and parcel to the Alien Abyss. Maria could be thrown away and abandoned. But not Lizzie. Never Lizzie.

A tiny voice said, but you will at least be safe. Maybe bored. Maybe sad. But Liz thought she was going to be shot. That all of them would be shot.

Even Michael.

Maria’s eyes closed. The idea of Michael not just gone, but dead…. Too much.

She sat heavily on her bed.

Flash
Maria was giggling uncontrollably as the pleasure built up inside of her. And she had been so worried about this! Sure it complicated things. Sex always did. But it was worth it!
End Flash

She should have thanked Isabel about those extensions. That had been the last time she had slept with Michael in this very room. Her birthday.

Maria couldn’t help but smile and feel her cheeks flush.

Just as fast her blood cooled. She would never have that again.

Never.

And the shock lifted. She began to howl in anger, to sob uncontrollably with loss, and vent her anger on her room.

But maybe a part of her was broken under the strain. Maybe something had changed inside of her as she remembered the conversation she’d had earlier with Liz. That she should make up her mind and CHOOSE.

And so she did.
Last edited by PML on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Never Surrender (CC MM/ Mature) 1/3 - 12/20/11

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone reading along.

keepsmiling7- Thanks.

nibbles2- Thanks.

Never Surrender Part 2

Maria sat calmly on the sofa in the living room. She couldn’t stand the weight of emotions from being in her room. Too many memories.

In truth the living room had its share, if not as heated. But these were easier to bear. And she needed a clear head.

She had decided that she couldn’t live without Michael in one capacity or another. Preferably as a lover, but she needed him, even if only a friend.

She loved him.

She had known that. Had known that this whole year she had spent trying to recover the Maria she had once been. Only that Maria, the one she had tried to recover, was only part of who she was.

She had been right, she still thought of having a cooling off period with Michael. She had needed it. But looking back she had not been honest with herself or with him about the whole affair. Because she had shill used him. When her life hit a high point she had wanted him to be there to celebrate with her, when it hit a low she had expected him to raise here spirits.

And she had wanted all of this with no strings. She had assumed he would always be there. Maria knew, knew to the depths of her bones that Michael loved her. Not the normal human level love, but the same type of love that had driven Max to save Liz that fateful day.

He would never leave her. That had been her assumption. She would have all the time in the world to find herself and he would be waiting for her.

And she would have returned to him. It was inevitable. Because she loved him as much. Oh, she hadn’t wanted to. Any more than he had wanted to love her this much.

It had started so innocently.

Maria blushed.

Or maybe not, but still, Maria had not realized when he had first kissed her that she would feel this way. And that now at the end, she would be so desperate to keep that bond. To not let it go, even if it cost her home.

Or her life.

Maria nodded. Yes, she would die for him. That he would die for her was a given. She had seen inside his soul. He would die for her in a minute. Half his leaving now, his rush to leave town, was to increase the likelihood that Maria would be left alone.

Maria knew she was a normal girl. Flighty perhaps. She had a good voice and an ear for music. But nothing special.

Save in Michael’s eyes.

She slammed her fist into the couch. “Damnit Maria, think! Where would he go! No one knows him like you do. THINK!”

The door opened and Amy entered. She put her hands on her hips and glared at Maria, “Well, look what the cat dragged in. What do I owe the honor of your presence Maria? Shouldn’t you be off with your friends? Isn’t Graduation today?” She laughed bitterly, “Oh, that’s right. You aren’t graduating this year are you? Something about dropping out to pursue your music career, only to drop that too. You do realize I am not going to take care of you forever, right?”

Maria said absently, “Oh, you won’t have to worry about me much longer I think. Not if things go the way I have planned.”

Amy snorted, “What, going to win a lottery ticket and run off with Michael?”

“Got one right.”

“So it finally is going to happen. You are going to run off with the man. I can already tell you how this is going to end. You will be back here with a child.” Amy sneered, “And I will be waiting.”

Something cracked in Maria. She stood up and walked over to her mother. “If I could stay in Roswell with Michael I could. But that simply isn’t possible. Hell, I am not even sure I can find him before he leaves. But I have to.”

Amy’s face hardened for a moment before she sighed, “Are you pregnant now? Is that why you need to find Michael? And why is he leaving anyway? He seemed like he was straightening out his life."

“No, Mom, we’ve been careful. And there has only been Michael.”

“But you have had sex?”

Maria nodded. “I love him. And now I may have lost him for good.”

Amy nodded, “But you aren’t going to accept that are you? Plan on following him to the ends of the Earth to find him, huh?”

“Yes.”

“Damn.” Amy wiped a tear from her eyes, “Why do I have to be such a softy?” She said to the skies arms and eyes skyward.

“Mom?”

“I still think this is going to end up with you pregnant and desperate, back here with little to no prospects. But he was there for you last year. I may want to kill him for having sex with you, but you could have chosen worse. I know I did.” She turned over to Maria, “Not taking about your father mind, but my first choice was much too young and with a real bastard.”

“I know. You told me.” Maria took a deep breath and asked, “Can I borrow the Jetta. I am not sure when I will be able to return it. But I will when I can.”

Amy shook her head, “No. But there is another option. Your Graduation present. I had already paid for it before I knew…. Well that isn’t so important.”

Maria just stood there.

Amy smiled, “Well go grab some clothes and necessities. Don’t forget your toothbrush.”

Maria burst into a smile and ran into her room. She took one last look around, perhaps her last look. And she quickly grabbed a couple bags of clothes and necessities. At the last minute she saw Alex’s guitar… And took it. It was only fitting it come along with her.

Her mother was waiting for her by the door, another small bag in hand. “Come on, we’ll go drive to get it.”

Both of them got into the Jetta.

Amy asked, “So while we drive off to get the vehicle I bought for you, why don’t you tell me why Michael is on the run.”

“Some people want to kill him.”

“And he has such a charming personality…. Why, daughter mine?”

Maria looked straight ahead and nodded. Only the truth would serve. “He is an alien. Well part alien. That UFO crash a couple weeks back? It was real. Tess had come back with Max’s baby.”

Amy grunted, “Max has a kid? He seemed so straight-laced when I first met him. I even thought you and he might even get into a relationship a couple years back. And he has a kid by another girl.” She shook her head, “Just shows you never know. Liz accepts this?”

“Yes. I mean it hurt her badly, but well, you know it’s really complicated.” She turned to face Amy, “You are taking this well.”

Amy shrugged as she drove, “Maybe I have been spending too much time with Brody lately. But I remember some odd stuff from last year. Some conversations I have half over heard, that sort of thing.” Amy laughed a little. “In fact I was in an argument today with a guest speaker for the convention. He’s a bit early, something about doing some research in the area for a new book.”

Maria’s blood went cold. “This wouldn’t happen to be Bryce McCain would it?”

“I didn’t know you were interested in science fiction, Maria?”

“Not really. It’s simply part of my day to day life these days.” Maria’s mind started running into overdrive. If Bryce McCain were already here, then Liz’s vision could happen at any time. “Hmm. If I were a group of pscyho Feds, where would I ambush a bunch of potentially lethal aliens. Damn Tess for blowing up that base.”
“Maria?”

Maria wearily said, “I wasn’t kidding about Michael, Mom. He’s a hybrid. He can do things. Max healed Liz a couple Septembers back….”

“The shooting was real?”

Maria said, “Yes. Well whatever Max did to Liz changed her. She can see things. The future.”

“Like Madame Vivian?”

“Only more specific. She saw Bryce McCain giving a speech and Liz and Michael and Max and Isabel all being shot.”

Amy’s voice was tight. “They want to KILL them?”

“Yes. Hell, you remember that summer I spent with Max? You saw how pale he was? They fucking TORTURED him. Just because of who he was. We’ve been trying to hide. All of us. Only we must have gotten sloppy somehow. Let our guard down when the alien threats stopped coming.” She shook her head, “We forgot that was only half the equation. We forgot. Forgot that just because the Special Unit was shut down that others might not be out there.”

They pulled up to a car lot. Amy stopped the car by an SUV.

Amy got out of the car and tossed Maria the keys. Her face was highly conflicted.

“Mom?”

Amy shook her head, “It’s hard. I wish I could keep you out of this. I wish you had never gotten involved in any of this. But you’ve been in it thick and thin?”

“Yes.”

“Then the Feds know that too. I have some contacts I need to check. They might be able to help you.” She bit her lip, “I don’t want to say this, but you probably need to run too. I don’t know what they would do to you. But if they are desperate to kill your friends….” She nodded firmly one last time. “If I am going to help I will help.” She looked over at Maria, “Bryce McCain is going to give a commencement speech for West Roswell High Graduation.”

Maria softly said, “None of them will be ready for that. It’s a perfect trap. The balconies will provide good shooting locations. And there is no way even Max or Liz will be ready for this. I need to go!”

Amy rushed over and hugged her, “Be as safe as you can be!” They held each other for a moment before Amy pushed her back a little, “And I will expect to see my Grandkids someday. I will do all I can to see that you can come home.”

“Thank you. Thank you for everything!” Maria said in tears as she gave her mother one last hug.

It would not be her last.

Maria would do her part, and she was sure that her mother would do hers.

Maria jumped into the SUV and started the ignition. The gas tank was full. She turned to her mother, “Contact the Evans. They know too and they should be able to help you.”

“They have their contacts, I have mine. But I will. Go on, do what you can.”

Maria nodded and hit the acceleration driving out of the lot and towards the High School. Where her friends lives were in jeopardy. She would have to postpone her search for Michael until then.

Besides, they might be able to help her in her quest.
Last edited by PML on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Never Surrender (CC MM/ Mature) 2/3 - 12/25/11

Post by PML »

Last part, hope you folks enjoy.

Keepsmiling7- Thanks.

Never Surrender Part 3

Maria hurried from her SUV to find her friends in school before the Graduation started. There had to be a way to contact them. None of her frantic calls on her cell phone were answered.

She could understand why Liz or Kyle or Max might not have an active cell. But Isabel? Not even set just to vibrate?

No something was wrong.

The parking lot was full. It must be nearly ready to begin. Maria knew that the students were supposed to be a half hour early or they would get their diploma mailed to them. But she had expected at least someone to be late.

And there were a few. All of them stressed that it was impossible to get in. The auditorium was locked down. For the graduating seniors safety.

Yeah. Their safety.

Maria had to hurry before her friends were ambushed. By habit and without thinking she headed to the main doors to the auditorium. There were two large guys in khaki and dress shirts. Security.

“Sorry ma’am. We had a rumour of possible problems. We have everything under control, but no one is allowed in. Sorry for the inconvenience.” His eyes swept across her before going back watching the parking lot.

Maria said scathingly, “Want a picture? It will last longer.”

“Not while I am on duty. But if you want to come back after the ceremony, I would happily take your number.”

The other man coughed, “Jailbait.”

Maria glared at him. He smiled at her before continuing his constant surveillance.

Several expensive cars pulled up behind her. Two hardened men screamed Federal Agent and the rest of the group of men piling out of the car were in uniform.

The door guards saluted one of the men standing at attention. One of the door guards opened the door for the Feds. The man they had saluted had stripes on his shirt. He turned to Maria. “You are distracting my men. The situation is under control. Everything will be fine. Now go away.”

Maria pleaded, tears forming at the corners of her eyes, “But I need to get in there. I need to be there for my friends!”

It was even true.

The officer said, “Well you shouldn’t have been late. It is going to be quite a show.” He turned and walked past the two guards.

The first guard gave her an apologetic smile before completely ignoring her.

Maria began crying in earnest. These men were going to kill her friends. And she was helpless to stop them. She moved to the side and tried her phone.

Nothing. And more than nothing. It wasn’t that she couldn’t reach them. She couldn’t reach anyone.

No cell reception at all.

They were jamming the cell phone frequencies.

How paranoid was that? To block all the frequencies just so they could kill her friends. She couldn’t even call the police. Or anyone.

She could feel the time ticking away. Minutes. She had just minutes before….

FWOOOM!!

There was a bright flash behind her and she could see a motorcycle zip up towards the school and fitfully up the steps.

It was Michael. He had zapped the guards on the door.

“Michael!” She rushed toward him.

He paused on the steps and said, “What are you doing out here? I thought you would be in there with them.”

“I was going to try to chase you down.” She shook her head, “It’s complicated, we can argue about it after we save our friends.” She looked at him, “Speaking of which did you have a plan?”

Michael’s eyes lingered on hers, drinking her in. “Not really. I probably just have to save Max. He’ll have set himself up to protect them. Always the damn martyr.”

Maria giggled lightly and touched him, “I love you Michael. And when we go we go together. Understand that. You stayed for me… And I leave with you. Together! Understand that.”

“I need to go.”

Maria thought for a moment. I can provide a distraction I think. The fire alarms. I will pull them. That should add to the chaos.”

Michael said, “Hit at least two. They get tripped all the time; one will probably just trigger the local alarms. Hit at least two it should set off quite a clamour and get the firemen on the way. Let these goons explain what they are doing to them.”

Maria gave him a deep but quick kiss. She shook him, “Don’t get yourself killed.”

Michael just gave her a smirk and made to go.

Maria pulled on his shirt one more time. “Those cars. Fry them.”

“Right.” A bright flash of white engulfed the cars.

Maria shook her head to clear the spots. She heard the bike ride into the school.

She took off to do her duty. The first was easy. But he was right. Not all the alarms were going off.

Maria saw the second and sprinted toward it. Most likely whatever had happened in the Auditorium was finished, but this would help confuse things. Help make their escape easier.

Hopefully.

“Stop! FBI! There is a critically important operation in the works. I can’t allow you to stop it.”

Maria kept running towards it. She tripped right before the wall it was on. She got up and moved to pull the alarm.

“I will shoot you if I have to.”

She pulled the alarm.

The next thing she knew she was on the floor. She knew she should get up. But she felt so tired. And cold.

That was funny. She usually complained how hot Junes were here in Roswell. Why did it feel so cold then?

She tried to sit up, but when she did a line of fire erupted in her abdomen.

She had been shot. Poor Liz. And Kyle. Or even Michael.

She hadn’t been nice enough to them afterwards. It really hurt. Really really hurt. She heard a voice distantly shrieking in agony.

It was her own.

She was moving slightly, each movement bringing more pain. But she couldn’t stop.

A hand propped her up against the wall. It was one of the hard faced Feds. “I recognize you now. You are Maria Deluca. One of those whores pleasuring one of the aliens. Humans not good enough for you or something.”

Maria just blankly looked up at him. Shouldn’t he be helping her or something? Sure he had shot her, but she was an American citizen. Surely he wasn’t going to let her just lay here. Lay here and die.

One look at the hard face and she knew. He would.

Oh. The fire department would be here soon anyway.

The Fed raised the gun again. “It will be good to purge your kind. Just as dangerous in its own way.” He chuckled lightly, “Just one more innocent caught in the crossfire.”

The gun never fired. Something hit him first. Hard.

She watched as he fell, his eyes glassy and empty.

Dead. She couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. She just wished she wouldn’t be joining him shortly.

She saw Isabel and Kyle and Liz standing over her. Isabel said something about Max. But she couldn’t quite here it. They were too far away.

She felt her eyes begin to close. To sleep. To forget the pain. To forget all the trouble and chaos that had plagued her. All the uncertainty.

And Michael. She would be leaving Michael behind. He lived. She knew that.

Just as she knew he would feel her die. What would that do to him. She remembered how empty Liz had looked when Max had died. Just empty.

No she couldn’t do that to Michael.

Together. They needed to be together.

She could not surrender. Would not surrender. Not even to death.

Max could fix her. They would find a way. They had escaped that ambush right? Surely they would find a way to save her.

She just needed to hold on.

The SUV. She needed what was in it. It would help all of them. Hell even if she died, it would be useful to her friends. She needed to tell them.

Kyle was carefully carrying her, makeshift bandage covering her wound.

It hurt so very much.

The aliens could get flashes off of highly emotional things. She moved her hands weakly, going to the karabiner that held her keys. She let them slip, hoping someone would notice.

Stupid. That had been stupid. Even assuming one of them grabbed the keys. Only Isabel was a full alien. What were the odds.

She sighed when Liz picked up the keys, her eyes widening in shock. Liz looked at Maria wide eyed and nodded. She motioned to Kyle and they moved to Maria’s new SUV.

The leather seats would now be stained with blood, annoying even if it was her blood in her car.

Would they hurry this up?

She slipped into an odd reverie of half memory and half fantasy. From time to time she could feel herself slip. Feel the need to sleep grow.

And she would fight it. She would hold to the last.

She had made her decision and she wasn’t about to let a small thing like death keep her from it. IN her need to focus, in her need to hold on, she could feel her insecurities burn. She could feel all the petty things that had kept her from searching for herself with him by her side, all those extra complications that had kept her from see that he would have supported her. That he had WANTED her to find herself again. That he had missed the spark that had been slowly fading in her.

He had loved Maria Deluca. Not the perfect girlfriend she had tried to become. Any more than she would have truly wanted him to be the perfect boyfriend she had thought she had wanted. Sure he had warts and things that could stand changing.

So did she.

For the first time she saw them the way her mother did. As young people trying to figure out life. So many mistakes. She had made so many. Michael had made as many. Or more. Probably more. But then he had Hank as a model.

Maria shuddered and then groaned in pain.

“Maria hang in there.” Liz said soothingly, “Isabel she is burning up. We need Max. Where is he?”

“They had to pick up Max’s car. Michael’s little stunt killed his bike. But they should be here in just a few minutes.”

Maria felt so very tired. So tired.

It was surely her imagination but she could almost feel Michael come to her. Could feel a tiny point of light grow in her mind until it blazed right next to her.

Michael’s voice was harsh, “What were you thinking, Maria? How could you be so reckless!”

She absently tried to touch his face. So very pretty. And there were little flecks of gold outlining him. Like a halo. Like an angel. Her soldier angel.

Michael. Fitting name.

Her eyes slid shut.

Distantly she heard someone call for Max. She even heard her call her name.

Too far away.

Maria Deluca died. She would never be able to explain what she saw then or where she was in those brief moments. There had been a clarity of thought, a sense of calmness and peace that she would forever after desire. Part of her desperately wanted to stay, and knew that she could if she so desired.

Or she could go back. Back to the pain and uncertainty. Back to the chaos. Back to the strange grand gift that was life.

Back to Michael.

There really wasn’t a choice. Besides she would be back. She was certain of it.

Only then she would not be alone.

Maria opened her eyes. And felt as Max’s power flooded into her filling every space and fixing her. She could feel the bubbling warmth as he strained to fix everything that was wrong. As he pulled her back from the edge of death.

All Maria could do was laugh. The others had never explained that it felt like this. That the healing power both hurt, and it did, but also soothed all the accumulated aches throughout her body. She felt both exhausted and like a million bucks. She wanted a stage to sing out in glory. She wanted a bed to sleep in forever.

But mostly she wanted to be held by the one man she would fight against anything for. The man she knew who would do the same for her.

So she gave Max a tiny kiss in thanks. A smile to Liz and an wave to an astonished and freaked Kyle. Isabel was arguing with Jesse, who had brought a beat up old VW bus.

Well she would thank her later.

Maria walked up to Michael who had moved away, his face grim. “Michael.”

“You are staying here, Maria. It is safer. And….”

Maria put a finger up to his lips, “No.”

“Why not? Do you really want to be a vagabond travelling with the law three steps behind us?”

“Not really. Mom will be working on that. She’s already given me a couple of people to make contact with if we need a place to hold out in. When I told her that you could change things with your powers, she was a little annoyed you never repaired the Jetta better. But she also had a couple of alternate plates for the SUV she gave me as a present.” She raised up her hands. “Don’t ask. I have no clue.”

Michael turned away from Maria. But Maria could still feel the tears Michael was trying to hide. He said thickly, “I don’t know if I could do that again. If I could watch you be so frail.” He turned to face her, angrily wiping his eyes, “The idea that you could be gone, dead… Maria I don’t want to have to face that.”

“Well I am not going home, so either I come with you or I follow behind and give the Feds a better chance to catch us. Your choice, but this isn’t something I am going to surrender about.” She smiled at him softly watching the emotions roll across his face. It was so amazing what a bit of knowledge of him could do. He always seemed so impassive if you didn’t know him. But really once you did, Michael wore his emotions on his sleeve.

Michael looked down at her and laughed sardonically as he looked into her eyes. Reading her. It had been the fact that he could, that she never hid from him that had been what had kick started their relationship. She had been the first woman he had felt safe with. She didn’t hide things from him.

For some reason it had never occurred to her. Even when he had stolen her car and whisked her off to some unknown location she had always felt safe with him.

It was some sort of cosmic accident. They should never have met. Should never have gotten close enough to realize the truth.

They were meant for each other.

Michael said gruffly, his mouth quirking up into a smirk, “No surrender, huh?”

“Never surrender, Michael. On this I will NEVER surrender. We go together.” And she kissed him.

Their lives would be full of uncertainties now. But she had confidence in her mother. And Philip Evans had a reputation as a good lawyer and from what Max had said a good deductive mind. He would get to the bottom of this.

And the day would come when they could go home.

Until then they would run.

But they would never surrender.