I’ll Be There (AU M/L MATURE) Sequel, Pt 25 - COMPLETE, 9/5

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Thansk for the feedback and bumps, guys - I'm sorry that I don't have a new part for you yet. I'm trying to get it finished, but it's taking longer than normal :( .

Also, I just wanted to drop this off:

Favorite Supporting Portrayal of Max Evans - I'll Be There

Thanks to everyone who nominated :D !
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Hey guys,

Sorry that this is another author's note and not a new part, but I just wanted to drop this off:

Favourite Supporting Portrayal of Max Evans - I'll Be There

and also to let you know that I've just sent Part 21 to my beta, so it should be up by Friday :) .
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Hey guys, sorry, about the long wait between parts - it wasn't intentional and was partly out of my control (why is it, whenever you think you'll have a free evening to write, suddenly everything comes up at once and you end up only spending 1 hour at home in the whole day?!).

Anyway, here's part 21 for you :) .

Thank you for the feedback :) :

roswell3053 - Thanks :) .

youre my dreamgirl - Thanks - I'm glad it cheered you up :) .

jbangelo - Thanks :) .

clueless - Thank you :) .

guelbebek - Thanks - I wasn't going to at first, but then I just had to add that kiss in :wink: .

anonymousarfan - Thanks - yeah, it would be stupid to rush back into a relationship so soon.

Part Twenty-One

Tuesday 19th April 2005

It’s been a month since we got back from the cabin, since we found out about Jack and Becca and since Max and I talked things over, and I really feel that I’ve made a lot of progress in that time. I’ve been attending regular counselling sessions with Dr. Jones, although after Spring Break, I realised that it wasn’t really fair for Max to be there for them as well. After all, we managed to talk through most things during that week and really, the rest is up to me to sort out. Max knows now that none of what happened was his fault and that my remaining problems are all to do with how I see myself and not with fixing our relationship.

Although he’s still being as supportive as ever when I see him, Max and I have kept our distance relationship-wise these past few weeks and in a way, I think that it’s been for the best. It’s given me time to explore my own feelings and self-image, without having someone else’s feeling to deal with as well. As for how Max is handling all of this…I’m not too sure actually. Although he’s round at my place a lot, just as I spend time at his apartment on occasion, we don’t really discuss our personal issues much. In fact, when we do talk, he steers the conversation towards my recovery or how school’s going, deliberately focusing on everything else but himself…

“Hey, Liz, Max is here!” calls Becca from downstairs, interrupting my writing.

“Okay, I’ll be right down,” I shout back, closing the journal and slipping it into the drawer of my bedside table. Max, Becca, Jack and I (and sometimes Tim and Kelly) have been doing pizza and movie nights as least once a week since Spring Break. It’s nice to sit down and have a fun evening with my friends once in a while, without all the emotional stuff getting in the way.

I get up off the bed and make my way to my bedroom door, briefly stopping in front of the dresser to brush my hair and apply some lip-gloss. As I make my way down the stairs, I glimpse Max at the bottom as Becca leads him towards the living room. A small smile unconsciously appears on my face and my heart does a little lurch in my chest when I see him. My smile gradually becomes a full-fledged grin as I realise what this means: I’m back; the real me, the one that kept Max company on our cross-country field trip three years ago. I’m finally back to the Liz who fell in love with her best friend, and said best friend fell in love with her right back. I practically skip down the rest of the stairs (and almost fall over my feet in the process), but as I approach the living room, where Max is chatting with my housemates, I realise that running into the room and launching myself at him is not the way to go about this. I need to be calm and rational and let the evening play out for itself. I take a deep breath and open the door.

“Hey, Max,” I greet him pleasantly and plop myself down on the couch between him and Becca – the space in the middle of the sofa that was conveniently left free when everyone else sat down. Jack is resting comfortably on the floor in front of Becca with his back against the couch and Tim is occupying the armchair in the corner.

“Liz,” he smiles. “How did your Biology paper go?”

“Great, actually,” I reply with a smile. “I got an A-minus.”

“Well done, Lizzie!” he praises. He knows how hard I’ve been working to get my grades back up – they’d slipped quite a way before Spring Break.

“Thanks,” I say. “So, what are we watching tonight?” It was Max’s turn to pick out the DVDs tonight.

“Okay, we have a choice – Pirates of the Caribbean, Starsky and Hutch and just for you…Clueless,” he announces, holding each one up in turn.

“Really? Cool!” I exclaim. I love Clueless! I’ve loved it ever since I first saw it at the movies like 10 years ago; especially the part at the end when Josh kisses Cher at the top of the stairs…I used to rent it over and over again just to watch that scene over and over again.

“Well, I for one could do without watching Clueless,” announces Tim suddenly, “So can we please see one of the others first?”

I roll my eyes playfully, “Fine, but just know that I’m only agreeing because I know you’re going round to Kelly’s later and won’t be here to protest.”

Whilst Becca orders the pizzas and we wait for them to arrive, we eventually decide on Starsky and Hutch. With a glass of white wine in one hand (well, beer for the boys) and a slice of pizza in the other, we settle down to watch the film. Two hours, half a bottle of wine, and numerous bouts of laughter over the whole ‘driving into the sea in an attempt to land on the escaping yacht’ scene later, Tim has left to go to Kelly’s place, and Becca and I are suitably relaxed; yet still feeling the buzz from the alcohol. Becca is demonstrating this by running her fingers through Jack’s hair and then moving down to massage his shoulders. I have to admit that it’s still somewhat strange to think of two of my best friends together as a couple, but sometimes I just have to smile at how good they are together. I, on the other hand, am feeling kind of sleepy from the wine and it’s a struggle to keep my eyes open; which is why my head has been resting on Max’s shoulder for the past half hour.

We finally start watching Clueless, but about twenty minutes in, Jack and Becca decide that they’d much rather be having fun upstairs than watching chick flicks with Max and I, and so they leave us to it. I’m still leaning against Max and a part of me can’t believe that I’m actually starting to fall asleep during Clueless. Unconsciously, I begin to snuggle closer to him in an effort to get more comfortable and it’s only when I feel his arm slip around me and pull my body closer to his, that I finally perk up. All through the film, I am very conscious of his fingers lightly tracing my arm and I have to work very hard not to shiver at his touch. As it gets closer to my favourite part of the film – the kiss at the top of the stairs – I find myself waiting almost impatiently for it, the excitement of anticipation running through my body and I am barely aware of the fact that Max’s free hand has wandered upwards and is now absentmindedly playing with my hair.

However, a few moments later I become conscious of his gaze on me and I tear my eyes from the screen, where Cher is currently being yelled at by her Dad’s lawyer, to look up at him.

“Stop staring at me, Evans,” I say, trying to sound annoyed, but it kind of comes out teasing.

“And what if I don’t want to, Parker?” he replies with a smirk.

“Well, I – ” The words get stuck in my throat, effectively stopping my retort. I don’t really know that answer to that question anymore.

God forgive me, I actually want him to stare at me. In fact, I find that I can’t tear my own eyes away from his intense gaze. Somewhere in the distance I hear Josh telling Cher that she’s beautiful, but their words are drowned out by the sudden pounding of my heart in my ears. Max reaches up to sweep a stray strand of hair out of my eyes and then lets his fingers come to rest on my cheek.

“Lizzie…” he murmurs softly, before slowly lowering his mouth to mine.

The second I feel his lips on mine, I let go, pouring my heart and soul into the kiss. I turn beneath his arm and pull my body upright so that I can give him my full attention. Our tender embrace seems to go on forever, yet when we finally pull apart, I vaguely realise that the film has not even finished yet.

“Max,” I whisper breathlessly against his lips just before they release my mouth. “God, Max…” Wow, I think I’m going to cry…in fact, I know I am. But these will be tears of happiness, not misery as they have been for so long.

Max moves away slightly and gazes down at me once more, his fingers tracing my jawbone.

“Welcome back, my Lizzie,” he whispers with a smile. “I’ve missed you so much.”

I return the smile, “I’ve missed me, too.” I try not to look away as the tears begin to fall. “I think I’m really better now, Max. And it feels so good to be me again.”

“Liz, I –”

I hold up a hand to cut him off. There’s something else I need to say first.

“Wait, I need to tell you something important; it’s something that I’ve wanted to be able to say to you, and really mean it, for so long…I love you, Max Evans. I love you with my heart and soul, and I am so sorry that I forgot that for a while.”

He smiles tenderly, “I love you too, Elizabeth Parker.”

“And,” I continue. “I want to thank you for all your help and support over the last few months. I know it can’t have been the best semester for you, having to deal with me as well, but I am so glad you were here and I really want to make it up to you in the short time we have left here together.”

He shakes his head, “You don’t need to thank me, Liz. I would do anything for you, if it meant you were healthy and happy.”

“Max…” I sniff happily.

“Hey, no more crying, okay?” he says gently, as he catches my tears with his finger and wipes them away.

“Okay,” I manage with a nod.

“Come here,” he says, pulling me to his side once more and dropping a kiss to my forehead. I snuggle into his arms, closing my eyes at the feel of being so close to him again.

“Max?” I venture a few moments later.

“Yeah?”

“Will you stay with me tonight?” I ask tentatively.

“Liz, I don’t know if –”

“Only to sleep,” I assure him. “I just want to be close to you again, Max. I want to remember how it felt to fall asleep in your arms.”

He chuckles softly, before looking down at me once more, “Well, if that’s how you put it, then how can I refuse?” I smile gratefully. “Come on, you’re looking pretty sleepy already, how about we call it a night now?”

“Okay,” I reply with a yawn.

He grins, switches off the VCR and TV and then helps me to my feet, entwining his fingers with mine as we leave the living room. I keep sneaking glances at him as we climb the stairs together. I offer him a pair of boxers and a T-shirt of his that I brought with me to Cambridge a few months ago. He puts them on and then sits on my desk chair, as I get ready for bed. With a smile, I hold out my hand to him and we slip under the covers together, his arms coming around me as we settle down to sleep.

A few moments later, however, the peace and quiet is broken by faint moans and cries coming from down the hall – from Becca’s room to be exact. I groan, cover my ears with my hands and bury my head in Max’s chest.

He chuckles wryly, “Man, this is going to be a hell of a long night.”

TBC…
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Okay, I've finally had time to finish this part - it's been half-written for over a month, but it's taken me almost a week to get back into the right time-zone after my vacation and to get back into writing again :roll: .

Sorry about the wait for the new part and thank for your feedback and bumps :) :

ISLANDGIRL5 - Thanks - they just had to get back together, didn't they? :wink:. I used to love that scene on the stairs in Clueless too - in fact, I just love the film. It came out when I was 12, so I went to see it twice in the cinema and then bought the video - I must have watched it at least 15 times in total :lol: !

roswell3053 - While I'm sure what Liz has gone through will stay with them from now on, they are Max and Liz and I can't imagine them not loving each other :) .

jbangelo - You're right - they're not just going to jump right back into their relationship, but at the same time, they would be ignoring their feelings either. Ah, Clueless...one of my personal favourites from when I was a kid - I just had to add it in there!

Behrsgirl1230 - You know, it took me ages to get the whole step-brother/not step-brother thing. It really confused me that if Josh was no longer her step-brother, why was he still around? :lol:

guelbebek - Thanks - sorry for the long wait :( .

RoninBehr - Yep, they're together again - hopefully for good this time :) .

clueless - Thanks :) - yep, Liz is finally feeling like normal again :) .

anonymousarfan - Thanks :) - i think they both realise that jumping right back into relationship might not be for the best. It's a chance for them to start afresh :) .

Ner - Thanks for the bump :).

Queen Fee - Thanks - glad you like it :) .

Part Twenty-Two

Monday April 25th 2005

I feel like I’ve been bouncing off the walls the past few days…Max and I are back together again and I’m so happy!! It all started that night last week when he came over for movie night and since then, we’ve spent every moment possible together. However, I have to say that last Saturday was the best night I’ve had in a long time. Max took me out for a romantic dinner in the city and then surprised me with two tickets for the ballet. One of the famous Russian ballet companies was in town performing Swan Lake – my absolute favourite ballet – and Max had managed to get last minute tickets for us. Even though he can’t stand ballet himself, he happily sat through it with me, his fingers linked with mine the entire time…

…Saturday April 30th 2005

After the incredible date Max took me on last Saturday night, I realised just how much he’s done for me over the past few months. He’s been right here for me, even when he didn’t have to be and at a time when he probably didn’t want to be around me; but still, he gave me all the love and support I needed to get better. I owe him so much; not only for helping me deal with my problems, but also for loving me enough to try our relationship again.

Anyway, to say thank you to him for everything he’s done, I decided to do something special for him last night – I invited him round for dinner – made from scratch by yours truly (with a little help from Becca) and we had a romantic evening at home. It really is great to feel comfortable and happy with Max again. I just hope that we can stay happy together for a long time to come…

…Wednesday May 4th 2005

I can’t believe that it’s almost the end of the semester! Finals are next week, and after that Max and I will be leaving Harvard for the summer. The only thing is, he won’t be returning with me in the fall. Okay, so I admit that my reaction to his presence here back in the winter wasn’t the greatest, but now I can’t imagine him not being here with me all the time. In fact, he’s right here with me now while I’m writing this…well, technically he’s supposed to be helping me study, but he’s currently asleep next to me on the bed and it doesn’t look like he’s going to wake up anytime soon. I guess our date last night wore him out…wait, I know what you’re thinking and no we weren’t doing
that! Actually, I kinda decided it would be fun to go to the student night at a club in town and we didn’t get in until after 3am. Because it was so late, Max crashed here for the night. Neither of us had class this morning, but we still don’t seem to be getting much studying done.

You know, I’m actually pretty tired myself…maybe I’ll just lie down too…

…Friday May 13th 2005, 7.55pm

Well, it’s the end of finals week and the end of junior year. I can’t believe it’s another year over already. God, I’ll be graduating soon and will probably spend the next few months planning my future. And you know what? I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. I always thought that Biology would be my path in life – you know, study it at Harvard, go to Grad school, maybe get a PhD and then spend my days in a research lab – but over the last few months, my perspective has been changing and I really don’t know what I want to do anymore. Some days I get so fed up of the whole academic thing that I just want to throw in the towel and get a nice easy job in an office or something; but other days I realise that I would probably find that kind of job totally unsatisfying and boring, and that makes me want to continue on in the world of science.

But, you know what? For these last couple of weeks the only thing I’ve been able to visualise for my future is Max. Well, actually, Max and me, together…forever. In fact, I’ve even been dreaming about it at night – getting married to the man I love; to the guy who’s been my best friend forever. Sometimes I’ll see us as newlyweds, living in a tiny apartment in the city, other nights we’ll be in a gorgeous family home in the suburbs, two adorable kids energetically running around the backyard…

…Well, it’s nice to dream isn’t it?

Oh, I gotta go now, Max is here…we’re going out tonight to celebrate the end of exams…

…Saturday May 14th 2005, 3.15am

…Since this is technically the same day (kind of), I just want to add that it seems my dreams may be getting closer than I thought…

Friday May 13th 2005, 8.30pm

“Come on, Max,” I plead. “You have to tell me where we’re going. You know it’s against the rules to lie and keep secrets from your better half!”

He shakes his head and smirks, while keeping his eyes on the road, “Better half, huh? Who ever said you were the better one?”

I roll my eyes and smack him lightly on the arm, “Max!”

He just continues to smirk, so I sigh, “Come on, please. The suspense is killing me.”

“I’m still not telling you, Liz,” he glances at me, letting out a chuckle at my exasperation. “It’s supposed to be a surprise. It’ll ruin it if I tell you.”

“Well, fine then,” I huff; crossing my arms and leaning back against the seat. The only problem is; I can’t be mad at him when secretly I love that he’s planning some kind of surprise for me. I turn my face towards the window, but I can’t stop the bubble of excitement that rises up in my chest, threatening to spill over and I know that he sees the smile that plays on my lips. I feel the soft touch of his hand on my arm and I turn towards him. Our eyes meet for a moment and he smiles. He runs his fingers lightly down my arm and then links them with mine, before turning his gaze back to the road again.

“Stop worrying, Liz, we’re almost there,” he murmurs a moment later. “And trust me, you’re gonna like this surprise.”

I try to relax, but there’s still an almost nervous feeling lingering in my chest over what he might be planning. A few minutes later, Max turns off into a small parking lot just outside of town and slows the borrowed car (it’s Jacks) to a stop.

“Okay, we’re here,” he says triumphantly.

I peer out of the window, but I don’t see much – there are no streetlights out here. “And where is ‘here’ exactly?”

He grins, “Now that would just be telling.”

I just stare at him in a mixture of wonder and confusion as he climbs out of the car, walks around to my side and opens the door for me.

“Come on then, let’s get going,” he says, holding out his hand.

I step out gracefully, flashing him a small smile before turning to take in our surroundings. I stop. What the hell?

“Um, Max?” I ask carefully.

“Yeah?” he replies as he locks the car.

“Why did you insist on me wearing my nicest outfit and most expensive shoes if you were just going to bring me to a backwoods parking lot?”

He attempts to hide a smirk, but I catch it and frown. His smile drops at my reaction and he comes to a stop in front of me, taking my hands in his.

“Just trust me, okay?”

He looks so earnest that I can doing nothing but agree. I roll my eyes good-naturedly and allow him to lead me towards the wood. We walk through the trees for several minutes and I’m on the verge of mentioning that my feet are becoming sore, when we reach a clearing next to a waterfall and he stops suddenly.

“Okay,” he says, grinning down at me. “This is it. Look.” He gestures to the view in front of us.

“Um…it’s a waterfall?” I venture, confused about why showing me a waterfall…in the dark, I might add…is such a great surprise.

“Yes, it is,” he says, still grinning.

“Max, I don’t get it –”

“I know, but just have faith in me, okay?”

I manage a nod, although I’m now wondering what on earth has gotten into my boyfriend tonight. However, what he does next causes me to seriously question his sanity. He turns away from me, nods his head and calls, “It’s time,” to…well, nobody at all.

“Um, Max, who are you talking t –?” My question is cut off abruptly when suddenly the waterfall is bathed in coloured light. “Wow,” I gasp, turning towards the incredible sight before me. “Max, do you see this?” He doesn’t reply. “Max?”

With a frown, I turn back to him…and gasp once again, my hand flying to my mouth, “Oh my God.”

There he is…down on one knee, gazing up at me, his eyes sparkling in the multicoloured light.

“Liz,” he takes my free hand, caressing it lightly with his fingers. “I love you – ”

Oh my God, I can’t breathe. Is this really happening? Is he about to…propose to me?

“I love you so much,” he continues quietly. “In fact, I think I’ve loved you my entire life.” I feel tears pricking my eyes at this confession. “I know that things between us haven’t always been perfect and I know you’ve been through a great deal this last year, but these past few months with you have made me realise just how much you mean to me and that I don’t think I could ever live without you.”

“Oh, Max,” I murmur, as a stray tear escapes my eye. I lower my hand from my mouth, letting it hang loosely at my side. I can’t believe this is actually happening.

“Wait,” he says gently, “let me finish. Liz Parker, you’re my whole world and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small, square box. Letting go of my hand, he holds the box before me and opens it up. I suck in a shaky breath. “Lizzie, will you marry me?”

Now I can’t stop the tears as they finally spill over and flow down my cheeks. I stand there facing him, unmoving, my gaze fixed on the gorgeous diamond ring in his hands.

“Liz?” he questions nervously. I raise my eyes to his and smile down at him through my tears. My legs suddenly feel like jelly and they don’t seem to want to support me any longer, so I sink down onto my knees in front of him.

“Yes,” I whisper. “Yes, I’ll marry you, Evans.” He lets out a sigh of relief and breaks into a delighted smile. “And I love you too. You’re my whole world.”

“Here,” he murmurs, reaching into the small box in my hands. “I think this is yours.”

He takes my left hand in his and carefully slides the sparkling ring onto my finger. My hand tingles at the contact. He grins down at my hand before returning his gaze to mine.

“Thank you,” he whispers. “You’ve just made my day.”

I let out a soft giggle; he’s not only made my day, but my whole life, too.

“Mine too.”

We both turn serious once more, as we stare at each other for several moments before passion takes over me and my lips are on his, my arms holding him as close to me as possible. Several moments later, Max pulls away and stands up, pulling me with him. The grin returns to his face and he laughs happily. Before I know what’s happening, he lifts me into the air and spins me around until I begin to get dizzy.

“So,” he murmurs, as we come to a stop. “We’re engaged?”

I nod firmly. “We’re engaged,” I confirm, pulling him down for another kiss, as I lose myself in him once more.

“Oh, for goodness sake, cut the mushy stuff already!” a harsh voice cuts into our passion-filled embrace.

“Shh, you idiot,” comes the exasperated reply.

Startled, I pull away from Max and look at him quizzically.

He shrugs unapologetically, “Okay, so I had some help.” He smirks, adding “And, well, I didn’t think you’d mind.”

I frown in puzzlement, but he simply nods in the direction of the voices. I turn in his embrace only to see the two people I least expected to see in the Boston area emerging from the trees.

“Oh my God…Maria…Michael…What are you guys doing here?”

“Well, you see,” says Maria as she approaches us. “I couldn’t miss my best friend getting engaged, now could I?” she grins. “And, well, he’s with me.”

“Wow, I just…I can’t believe this!” I exclaim, as I leave Max’s arms and wrap my arms around her.

“What a day, huh?” she exclaims.

“Yeah,” I laugh as we pull back from our hug. “I can’t believe I’m engaged,” I grin, sneaking a glance at Max. He smiles. “And I can’t believe you’re here. Either of you.” I haven't seen anyone from Roswell (apart from Max) since Christmas.

Maria grins, but Michael just shrugs awkwardly and mumbles something about how Maria made him come. I share a disbelieving look with Maria as Max comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist.

I can now honestly say that this has been the best night I’ve had in a long, long time…possibly even the best night of my life so far.

TBC…
Last edited by Heavenli24 on Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) :

yayaliens - :)

Erina - Yeah, he proposed - I guess it was kind of unexpected, but he did it anyway :) .

Queen Fee - It seems everything's finally working out for them now :) .

jbangelo - Thanks - I think Max is a real romantic at heart :) .

Behrsgirl1230 - Thanks - I guess he realised that he just couldn't live without here :) . Actually, there's only 2 more parts after this, but I do have a third story (just about) planned out that will continue their story.

roswell3053 - Thanks. Maybe they can really be happy together now, especially since the last few months have been so hard for both of them :).

clueless - Thanks, and yeah I guess the proposeal was unexpected, but sometimes I think that makes it all the more special :) .

RoninBehr - Oh no, i think it's a great song ( :roll: )! Thanks :) .

Emz80m - Thanks :) .

youre my dreamgirl - Don't we all wish we could borrow Max for a few days?! :wink: I think the holiday did me good, because I've finally gotten over the writer's block I was having regarding where to take the story - I wrote 3 whole parts between Sunday morning and Monday evening!

anonymousarfan - Thanks :) .

Okay, there are only 2 more parts left after this one - and they are both written, so there won't be a big gap between updates now. I do have (another) sequel to this planned though, which I'm hoping to get started on soon :) .

Part Twenty-Three

Friday May 13th 2005, 10.45pm

I am so happy right now, I think I might just burst; I just can’t keep the grin off my face. My head is spinning, seemingly unable to grasp the fact that Max actually proposed to me. The thing is, it was so unexpected that I’m almost convinced it was all a dream. I say almost, because it’s kind of hard to ignore the fact that at this very moment, I am enclosed in a three-way hug with Becca, who is practically jumping up and down with excitement, and Jack, who has this big, knowing grin on his face.

As the hug comes to an end and I pull back, I fix Jack with a suspicious gaze.

“Wait a minute, did you know about this?” I ask him dubiously.

The grin suddenly disappears from his face and his eyes shift from me to Max, who is standing just behind me, and then back again.

“Well, uh, I…” he starts.

“He helped me pick out the ring,” Max cuts in with a smile. “It had to be just right, and he’s the one who was here for you when I couldn’t be, so I thought he might be able to help.”

Jack lets out a relieved breath. “You do like it, right?”

A grin breaks out across my face as I glance down at the sparkling ring on my finger, “I love it; it’s perfect.”

“Great,” says Jack.

“That’s good to know,” murmurs Max from behind me, as he links his fingers with mine. I turn my head towards him and our eyes lock. I send him an indulgent smile and before I realise it, he’s leaning in for a kiss, which I know was intended to be chaste, but somehow neither of us seems willing to stop. That is, until a throat clears beside us and Maria’s voice breaks through the haze of Max’s kisses.

“Um, guys…guys, you do remember that you’re not alone here, right?”

Regretfully, I pull away from Max and turn towards the door, where Maria and Michael are standing awkwardly. I guess it must be strange for Maria, my closest friend from Roswell (bar Max), to see Jack, Becca and I so close. I imagine that she’s feeling a little out of place here. Michael, on the other hand, looks more uncomfortable with the amount of hugging and kissing that’s going on than anything else.

“Oh, Maria, I’m sorry,” I apologise quickly.

“Yeah, sorry, Maria,” adds Max quietly, although from his subtle tone of voice, I’m not sure he really is all that sorry.

“Look, maybe we should leave these two alone for a while?” suggests Becca. “Maria, Michael, it was nice to finally meet you,” she smiles. “Do you have somewhere to stay tonight? We don’t have much room here, but – ”

“Oh, no, it’s okay,” replies Maria. “We booked into a motel just outside of town this afternoon. We’ll be fine. Right, Michael?”

“What? Oh, yeah, we’re good,” he shrugs. I frown; he’s been unusually moody this evening. I wonder if everything’s okay between him and Maria.

“Are you sure you guys don’t mind?” I ask then. “I mean, I’ve hardly had a chance to catch up with you yet.”

“Don’t you worry about us, Lizzie. This is your night; we’ll have plenty of time to talk tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Maria,” I reach out and hug her gratefully.

“Okay, we’d better be off,” announces Michael abruptly, taking Maria’s arm. “It was nice meeting you too,” he nods to Becca and Jack.

“Look, since we’re leaving Max and Liz to themselves in here, why don’t we walk you guys out?” suggests Jack.

“Okay, that would be great,” replies Maria with a smile. “Congratulations again, you two.”

“Thanks, Maria,” says Max, as he pulls me close to him, wrapping his arm around me. “And thanks for your help tonight; both of you.”

“No problem, Maxwell,” nods Michael.

The four of them make a somewhat hasty retreat out of the living room.

“Well,” I say to Max, as they close the door firmly behind them. “They seemed to be in a hurry.”

“I wonder why that could be?” he replies with a grin, as he turns me in his arms and tightens them around me.

I slip my own arms around his waist and bury my chest in his warm, solid chest, savouring the feeling of just being held. I feel him press a kiss against my hair as his hands rub slow circles on my back and I tilt my head up to look at him.

“You know, I still can’t believe this is all happening. Not that I’m complaining or anything, but where did all this come from? Why now?”

He chuckles softly, “You know what? I actually don’t know.” His expression turns thoughtful, “I guess it was that night the other week when you cooked dinner for me and we just spent the whole night talking and having fun. It made me realise that that was what I wanted for my future; you and me, sharing our lives and making a home together. After that night, all I could think about was being with you for the rest of my life and before I knew it, I was looking in the window of every jewellery shop I passed.” He sighs, “I think the lady in the jewellers on Main Street think I’m crazy – I’ve been stopping by every day, just staring at the display, trying to decide which ring you’d like best.”

A giggle escapes my mouth at the thought of Max trying to pick out the ring. He’s always been hopeless with buying jewellery.

“In the end, I had to ask Jack to help me,” he admits.

“Well, he did a good job. I love this ring,” I tell him, removing my hand from his waist to take another look at it.

“I’m glad,” he tells me, before taking my hand in his and lifting it to his lips. He places a soft kiss on the ring and then another to the palm of my hand. It makes me tingle inside.

“So, um, how exactly did Michael and Maria end up here?” I question a few moments later, when I’ve told my body to calm down.

He smiles, “Well, actually, that wasn’t entirely my idea. I got a call from Maria the other day – apparently she’s managed to get an audition with a record producer in New York next week and she wanted to surprise you with a visit.” My eyes widen in awe. Maria has an audition? That’s great! “Anyway, I told her what I was planning to do and asked her if she and Michael wanted to be here when I asked you, and the rest, as they say, is history.”

“Wow,” I breathe. “I’m so happy for her. Why didn’t she say something tonight?”

“Why do you think?” he smiles. “This is your night, remember?”

“And also yours,” I add meaningfully, before leaning up for a kiss, to which he eagerly complies.

“Why don’t we sit down for a bit?” suggests Max as he pulls away a few moments later.

“Okay.”

He takes my hand and leads me to the couch. He settles against the cushions and I curl up beside him, resting my head on his chest. We sit in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying each other’s company, until something occurs to me.

“So, um, where do we go from here?” I wonder, sitting up on the couch. “I mean, what do we do now? Do we set a date? Do we start planning things right away? Oh, God, what about our parents…what do we tell them?”

“Liz…Liz, calm down,” chuckles Max. “Let’s just take things one step at a time, okay?”

“Okay,” I say, slightly embarrassed at my sudden, unexpected outburst.

“Look,” he says gently. “When I decided to ask you to marry me, I wasn’t necessarily expecting us to go through with it straight away. More than anything, I wanted you to know how I felt. It’s completely up to you when you want to have the wedding; I don’t want to rush you into anything,” he assures me. “So, I guess the question is, when do you want to get married?”

“Well,” I start thoughtfully. “I guess part of me doesn’t want to wait at all. I want to be with you all the time, Max. But another part, the rational part, says we should wait a while, at least until after we graduate.”

“Yeah, I agree,” he tells me. “After all, you’re still gonna be here and I have to spend senior year back at UNM. There’s no way I can live apart from you if we get married now, in fact it’s going to be hard enough getting through the next year without you.”

“For me, too,” I admit quietly, an idea forming in my head as I speak. “What if…maybe I could transfer to UNM? We could finish school together.”

He gives a sad smile, shaking his head, “As much as I’d love to be with you all the time, I can’t let you do that, Liz. You’ve made it through three years of Harvard already; you’re almost there and I’m not gonna let you give all that up now.”

I know he’s right, but that doesn’t stop me from trying anyway, “But you’ve seen how hard the work has been for me this year. What if I can’t make it through the next year?”

Max leans forward, placing a kiss to the end of my nose, “You’re gonna do fine, Lizzie; and just think how great you’re going to feel this time next year when you have a degree from Harvard.”

“Yeah, I guess,” I concede finally.

“Hey, come here,” Max says then, holding his arms out to me. I settle against him comfortably, running my fingers lightly across his chest, eliciting an intake of breath from him.

“Lizzie,” he whispers raggedly.

I look up at him, only to be captured by the emotion showing in his gaze. Before I know what’s happening, he pulls me closer, his hands in my hair as his lips devour mine. The passion of his embrace threatens to overwhelm me, and all I can do is respond to his lips with everything I’m feeling right at this moment. I’m not quite sure how or when we move, but when I pull away for air, I find myself pinned beneath him, the entire length of his body covering mine completely. As his lips leave mine and begin a new journey down my neck, something causes my body to tense up and my eyes fly open.

“Max,” I murmur, shifting slightly beneath him. “Max, stop.”

“What –” he lifts his head from my skin, his eyes slightly unfocused. “What is it, Liz?”

“I don’t know, it’s just…” I start uncomfortably. Okay, so I do know what’s wrong: Max and I haven’t made love since January, in the early hours of that fateful Sunday – the day we broke up, and I don’t want to spoil the significance of this night by bringing up the past. No, I want our first time as a couple again to be special and a conscious decision; and not because we’re all caught up in the moment and I just happen to be lying under him on the living room couch. “Max, I don’t think I can do this tonight,” I tell him eventually. “I want to be entirely ready to enter a physical relationship with you again, which I don’t think I am just yet, and I don’t want to do it only because you proposed tonight.”

“Liz, it’s okay – ”

“Plus,” I continue quickly, “I don’t have any protection with me, or in my room, and…and I just don’t think it’s a good idea right now –”

“Liz,” he cuts me off with a finger to my lips. “Liz, I understand, okay? I wasn’t expecting us to make love tonight.” I roll my eyes; I can feel his obvious arousal against my thigh. “Okay,” he chuckles. “So, my body thinks otherwise, but if you want to wait a while, that’s fine. Just the fact that you’ve agreed to marry me is all I need right now.”

“Thank you,” I breathe gratefully, relaxing a little beneath him.

“Hey,” says Max, as he carefully slides off the couch and offers me a hand up. “How about we go upstairs, get some sleep? You’ll need your rest if you’re gonna spend the day with Maria tomorrow,” he teases

I smirk, “Yeah, I guess you’re right about that.” I take his hand and he pulls me up.

As I snuggle up to him in my bed a few minutes later, an indulgent smile appears on my lips and I have to suppress the excited squeal that threatens to spill from my throat. I’m going to be able to do this with him every night for the rest of my life.

I can’t wait.

TBC…
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback :) :

jbangelo - Thanks :). The sequel is actually already in progress, although I want to get a few more parts under my belt before I start posting it.

Behrsgirl1230 - :). I know, I can't believe it's come this far either. The original plan was: they go on the roadtrip, realise their feelings and get together; for which I estimated about 10 parts - how wrong I was!

roswell3053 - Thanks. In all honesty, it didn't feel right having them sleep together just after and just because Max proposed - they need to wait until they're completely comfortable and ready to become intimate again.

Queen Fee - Like I mentioned above, I didn't want to bring up any of their previous worries by bringing sex back into the relationship just like that. As far as the second sequel goes, there may be some angst, but it shouldn't have as much as this story :) (although it's not completely planned out yet, so my ideas may change as I write).

youre my dreamgirl - You're right, they need to be completely sure about taking that next step again and shouldn't do it because they've just gotten engaged and feel they ought to.

Behrystrwbry - Thanks you - I'm glad you enjoyed reading the stories :) .
Behrystrwbry wrote:Not sure I understand though why Liz ended up depressed. It seems like she felt she didn't deserve Max's love or something, butthen again depression is very confusing. So anyway...
What I wanted to get across was that depression can happen to anybody, sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I have to say that a lot of the inspiration for this story came from my own experiences. I've felt the same way as Liz in the past (when i was a teenager) and although I've been relatively happy for the last 5 years, sometimes those feelings just come back for no obvious reason - I can feel totally miserable for a couple of weeks and then completely fine for the next few months!

LairaBehr4 - I definitely think you should go with admiring Liz, because you'll get the pleasure of reading it soon enough :wink: .

clueless - Thanks :) .

Okay, this is the second last part of this story. It's kind of a filler before the final chapter, but I hope you enjoy it anyway :) .

Part Twenty-Four

“I can’t believe you didn’t say something sooner!” I exclaim to Maria as we exit Starbucks with our coffees and stroll along Main Street. “I mean, this could be your big break, Maria.”

“Liz, babe, come on,” she looks at me incredulously. “When Max told me he was going to propose to you, I knew that my little audition simply paled in comparison. My news could definitely wait.”

“Little? Maria, this is an audition in New York City; for an actual record label – that’s not little! And anyway, what made you so sure I’d say yes last night?”

“Oh, please! This is you and Max we’re talking about. You two were destined to be together,” she rolls her eyes.

I stop walking and am about to protest, to remind her that not everything has been great between us lately, and that we very nearly broke up for good, but the second I open my mouth, she stops too and puts up her hand to prevent me from doing so.

“Look, I know you’ve had a rough time this year –” I frown at her in confusion. How does she know about my depression? I was careful not to mention it when we spoke on the phone – I didn’t want her worrying about me. “Max told me,” she explains. “And before you get mad at him, he was just looking out for you. He loves you.”

“I know he does,” I say, a faint smile tugging at my lips. I look down at the coffee in my hand. “And I love him, too.”

“See what I mean? You’re his Lizzie, of course you were gonna say yes!”

I laugh at her sudden outburst and we continue walking.

“You do know that Max and I are coming to New York with you and Michael, don’t you?” I inform her. “There’s no way I’m missing this great opportunity for you.”

“Oh, it’s gonna be so great!” she exclaims suddenly. “All of us together…in New York. You, me, Maxie-boy…”

“And don’t forget Michael,” I remind her.

“Yeah, and him,” she mutters, making a face. I remember my concern from the night before.

“Maria, is something going on with you two? Michael seemed even more pissed off than usual last night.”

“Ugh,” she dismisses with her hand. “It’s nothing really.”

“Maria, you can talk to me, you know,” I encourage.

She exhales, “Okay, it’s, um, it’s this whole you guys getting married thing…”

“Yeah…?” What about us getting married?

“It’s kinda stupid, really. When I told Michael about my conversation with Max and that he was going to pop the question, he just got kind of quiet and grunted something about congratulations. Things have suddenly got really awkward between us; we’re barely talking right now and I don’t even know why,” she shrugs miserably.

“Oh, Maria, I’m sorry,” I put my arm around her shoulder in comfort. “Look, you know what I think it is? I bet Michael’s just scared.”

“But, what of? It’s not like we’re getting hitched or anything,” she says.

“I think there are two possibilities here,” I tell her seriously. “Either the whole idea of marriage is freaking him out and he’s scared that because Max proposed to me, you’re going to expect a proposal now too; or he actually does want to ask you to marry him but is too scared to actually broach the subject with you, for fear that you’ll just laugh in his face.”

“Oh, man, of course!” she cries. “How did I miss that? He’s probably completely freaking out right now, although since he’s a guy, I’m sure it’s the first possibility. Oh, poor Michael!”

“So, I’m guessing he has nothing to worry about then?” I query.

“God, no! I mean, of course I want to get married someday, but not right now, and definitely not just because you guys are doing it,” she says incredulously. “Man, do we need to sit down and talk later!”

The amazed expression on her face is so comical that I can’t help but laugh. Within seconds, she’s joined me and we struggle to continue our journey down the street without falling over. It feels just like old times: shopping with one of my best friends, laughing together and having fun, as if we’re still high school kids back in Roswell. It’s brilliant.

“So, what’s the plan for next week, then guys?” asks Becca as we all sit down for dinner in the living room. The kitchen table is too small for all eight of us (Tim and Kelly are here too), so we’re making do on the couch and the floor.

“Well,” begins Maria. “My audition is on Tuesday at 2pm, so we’re gonna drive down Monday morning, do a bit of sightseeing, spend a couple of nights in the city and then head back to New Mexico from there.”

Becca nods, turning to Max and I on the couch, “What about you guys?”

“We’ll go down to New York with Maria and Michael,” says Max. “But we’re flying home, so I guess we’ll get a bus or a train back here instead of driving cross-country.”

“Yeah, we’re leaving Friday, so that gives us a couple more days to pack and get organised,” I add. “Oh, by the way, Maria, where are we staying in New York?”

“Oh, we managed to find a fairly cheap place on Broadway and uh, 94th Street, I think – it’s a Quality Inn, I think. Anyway, I called them last night to change the reservation to two rooms,” she supplies.

I feel Max nudge me in the back, “Hey, the Quality Inn…wasn’t that we’re we stayed that summer?”

“Was it?” I rack my brain trying to remember – we stayed in so many different hotels on our road trip.

“You know, it was where you…” starts Max, leaning forward to whisper in my ear.

My eyes widen at his words and I feel my face burning bright red as I remember where we stayed and what we did in that hotel room. It was at that Quality Inn on 94th Street where I gave Max oral sex for the first time. How could I forget that?

“Where you what, Liz?” questions Maria innocently, although I swear I can see a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“Oh, um, nothing,” I squeak. “It was just…uh, I…got us lost on the subway and it took us forty-five minutes to find the hotel,” I improvise quickly. I can feel Max chuckling behind me and I turn to glare at him disapprovingly. He just smirks in return.

“Oh, right, okay,” concedes Maria, seemingly accepting my explanation, but still looking at me suspiciously for a moment before turning her attention back to the original conversation. “So, yeah, we’re staying just off Broadway. The audition is down in the village, but it shouldn’t take too long to get to on the subway.”

“Cool,” says Becca, taking a swig of beer from the bottle in her hand.

See, we stupidly left the boys to do the food shopping this afternoon, so now all we have to drink is beer. You would think that by now Max and Michael, at least, might remember that neither Maria nor I particularly like beer, but no, according to them you can never go wrong with a Chinese takeaway and a six-pack of Budweiser. At least they managed to get Bud-Lite for us instead of the calorie-filled stuff, but that didn’t let them off a lecture on why, when there are females present at dinner, it’s always best to pick up a bottle of wine as well.

Oh well, if Max is going to be my husband soon, he’s just going to have to learn these things. Although, I think I can let him off just this once considering that we have only been back together for a few weeks and it hasn’t even been twenty-four hours since he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him with what has to have been the most romantic proposal I can think of.

So, instead of complaining, I’m just going to sit back, relax against him and look forward to visiting New York City once again on Monday.

TBC...
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Okay, here we go...the end of this story! I just want to say thank you for all your positive feedback and support for this fic :) . The theme was pretty close to home for me and at times was hard to write (hence the less frequent updates), so I'm glad that it was well received :) .

Anyway, thank you to:

roswell3053 - The hotel idea just came to me as I was writing the last part, although thinking about it, when you try to search for cheap accomodation in Manhattan - that Quality Inn hotel tends to come up more often than not!

Queen Fee - I could have continued this story on further, but I wanted to start afresh with a new one - like closing this chapter of their lifes and starting a new one :) . And who knows? Maybe being in the same hotel will bring back memories? :wink:

Emz80m - Thanks :) .

clueless - Thanks :) . I actually wasn't planning a sequel until last week, when I got a burst of inspiration for a storyline!

youre my dreamgirl - Thanks - I think fun in New York might be just what they need :wink: !

anonymousarfan - Thanks :). I think spending time in New York with friends from home might just be a good thing :) . You know, technically their physical relationship started in Las Vegas - with Max doing something for Liz, but New York was the place where Liz got the confidence to return the favour :wink: .

jbangelo - Thanks :) .

I have a few parts of the sequel already written, but I am still tossing ideas around over the structure and plot, so I won't be posting right away. But hopefully it won't be too long before it's ready :) .

Part Twenty-Five

Monday May 16th 2005

Well, here we are, back in New York again. Not that I haven’t visited the city at all during the last three years, because I have – since it’s only a few hours journey from Boston – but I’ve only ever been here once with Max, so this trip makes it all the more special. We all drove down in Maria’s car this morning, but what should have been only a four-hour trip turned into more than six hours – I tried to explain to Maria and Michael that trying to drive into the city was perhaps not the best idea, but they still insisted on doing so and I didn’t have the energy to keep arguing with them.

Once we finally found somewhere to park, we checked into the hotel (which is definitely the same one that Max and I stayed in three summers ago – and amazingly, they managed to put us in the same room as before – after much begging from us, of course) and then set off for some sightseeing. Since neither Maria nor Michael has been here before, Max and I had the upper hand in knowing where to go and what to see. So far, we’ve been up the Empire State Building and then, at Maria’s insistence, we spent almost two hours shopping at Macy’s.

Right now, we’re back in our hotel rooms. Maria wanted to get some rest before her audition tomorrow and so we decided to call it a night. We’re planning on going to see a show or something tomorrow night, in either celebration or commiseration, depending on how the audition goes.

But anyway, I guess I didn’t really explain my last entry in here…about my dreams being closer than I thought…well, here’s the thing: Max proposed to me on Friday night!! I am now an engaged woman and I am so happy. So much has happened this year and if you’d asked me four months ago if I thought I would ever be getting married to my best friend, I probably would have told you no and burst into tears. But Max has helped me so much and I really feel like a stronger person because of him.

I really could go on for hours about how excited I’m feeling, but right now, Max is lying next to me, his hands drifting dangerously close to where I need him most and I don’t think I can concentrate for much longer…

I stop writing just as Max’s fingers brush my inner thigh through my jeans, making my stomach contract involuntarily. Throwing caution to the wind, I let the journal slip from my hands and to the floor as I slide down next to him. He sends me a mischievous grin as his arm comes around my waist and he pulls me in for a quick, but emotion-filled kiss.

We lie facing each other on the bed, my body stretched out along the length of his, our legs entwined. I feel his erection pressing against me, but unlike Friday night, I’m not apprehensive or unsure about being intimate with him again. Maybe it’s being back in New York, in the very same hotel room that we shared as a new couple – I’m not sure, but what I do know is that I want him. Right here, right now.

“I love you, Max,” I whisper softly, gently stroking his cheek with my fingers. “I want to be with you again.”

He smiles, “Lizzie, you know I’d love nothing more than to make love to you, right here, right now,” (My sentiments exactly). “ But, are you sure you’re ready for this, because we really don’t have to?”

I smile at his concern for me, but he really has no need to be worried. “Yes, I’m sure,” I murmur back. I sit up to reach over the side of the bed and pull something out of my bag. I hold up my hand to him, “I even brought condoms with me.”

The smile becomes a full-fledged grin as he takes the box from me and places it on the bedside table, “That’s good to know.”

We continue to stare at each other for a few more minutes, neither one of us making the first move. Despite what I just told him about being ready to do this, I’m actually feeling a little nervous now.

“Hey, it’s alright,” he says softly, apparently noticing my nervousness. “We can go slow if you like.”

I smile at him gratefully.

“And if it’s any consolation, I’m nervous too,” he adds.

“You are?”

“Well, yeah; I mean it has been almost four months since I did this, what if I’ve forgotten how?”

I laugh, effectively easing the tension, “Max, we’ve managed to wait almost this long before – you know, when we were living two thousand miles apart? – I seriously doubt you’ve forgotten anything.”

“Okay,” he concedes. “So I haven’t forgotten, but you have to admit there is at least a little pressure on us here – this is our first time together as an engaged couple. It’s special.”

“Yeah, it is,” I agree softly, but still, neither of us moves.

Eventually, Max decides to take things into his own hands. He sits up and pulls his shirt over his head, baring his perfect chest to my gaze. It’s been so long since I’ve seen him like this that desire takes over and suddenly we can’t keep our hands to ourselves. We tug and pull at each others clothing until there’s nothing left to discard, and we fall to the bed in a frenzy of passion.

Max settles his body over mine, his hips resting between my parted legs; his elbows placed either side of my head, supporting his weight above me.

“Are you ready?” he murmurs.

“Yeah,” I nod absently, the feel of him at my entrance driving me crazy.

“Okay.”

He reaches for the box of condoms and pulls one out. I take it from him, open the packet and reach down between us to roll it onto him. He sucks in a breath when I touch him, reminding us both that it’s been too long.

Slowly, carefully, he begins to enter me. I have to suppress a gasp at the twinge of pain I feel as he fills me up, but within seconds it disappears, my body adjusting to his size once again.

“Max,” I murmur softly, my eyes drifting closed as he begins to stroke inside of me, his movements awakening long-dormant feelings in my body.

“Is this okay?” he questions gently.

“Uh huh,” I breathe, not opening my eyes. “It’s perfect.”

My lips tingle as his mouth comes down on mine, kissing me sensually. His strokes become a little quicker and when the need to breathe becomes inevitable, he tears his lips from mine and nuzzles my neck instead, before moving down to my breasts. I shift beneath him; wrapping my legs around his hips as together we approach ecstasy for the first time in months.

Just when I think the wonderful feeling of making love to my fiancé cannot escalate any further, I feel Max’s fingers teasing my clit and white-hot pleasure shoots through my entire body, making me cry out at the intensity of it. Somewhere in my mind, it registers that Max reaches his own climax just seconds after I do, but I am powerless to do anything but ride out the waves of my own release.

When I eventually open my eyes again, my chest heaving with exhaustion, I find Max collapsed on top of me, attempting to catch his breath.

“Wow,” I exhale. “I think that just may have been the best sex I’ve ever had.”

I feel him chuckle against my breast, “Yeah, you can say that again.” He lifts his head to look into my eyes, “I love you so much.”

“And I love you, too,” I assure him.

“Come here,” he rolls to the side and beckons for me to join him. I do so eagerly.

I sigh contentedly in his arms, “I can’t believe we’re here in the same hotel room as last time, and we’re together. It’s really weird.”

“I know. I mean the last time we were here, did you ever imagine, that we’d be back again three years later and engaged?”

“Not in a million years,” I confess with a chuckle.

“Speaking of which,” he says. “I know we’ve agreed to wait until after graduation before we get married; but I was thinking, what do you think about having it next July, on or as near to the 13th as possible?”

“That sounds good, but why the 13th?” I ask in confusion, as I rack my brain for a reason why July 13th is so important.

He looks down at me incredulously. Oops, have I just put my foot in it?

“Liz, how can you not remember? You wrote all about it in journal! July 13th 2002 was the day we shared our first real kiss.”

Uh oh.

“Oh God, I can’t believe I forgot. I’m sorry,” I apologise hastily.

“Hey, it’s okay,” he chuckles. “Besides, I’m the one who’s supposed to forget dates and things, so I think I can let you off just this once.”

Whew!

“So, what do you think?” he asks then.

I smile up at him and lean in for a kiss, “I think it’s a great idea.”

“Great, so that’s sorted. July next year it is,” he murmurs as I lay my head against his chest. “Okay, now I really have to go to sleep. You know, you really tire me out, Liz Parker.”

I grin against his skin as I close my eyes.

I’m so glad Max has been here for me this year. I’m finally happy and comfortable with myself again and you know what?

I actually love my life again.

Sunday May 29th 2005

Wow, so much has happened in the last two weeks!

Apparently Maria’s audition in New York went really well because she’s been offered a two-year contract with the record company! Although both Michael and her mom have warned her that getting into the business might not be all it’s cracked up to be, she’s decided to take the risk and accept the offer, which means that, as of the beginning of September, she’ll be living in New York!

Secondly, Max and I received our exam results in the mail this week. I actually passed the year – and with pretty good grades too, which really lifted my spirits in regards to returning to Cambridge in the fall. Quite unexpectedly – well, in his opinion, at least, Max did really well – his lowest grade was a B- minus. I always knew he would get good grades – he’s a good student who works hard – but I think he was a little daunted by the fact that he was at Harvard, and wasn’t even expecting to pass have his classes. Anyway, to celebrate, our parents got together and took us all out for a special dinner, which actually became the perfect time to share the news of our engagement with everyone!

I was a little worried beforehand, about what my parents would say – I was sure they would be convinced that we were rushing into things and would be against the idea – but their reactions were surprisingly unexpected. My mom burst into tears and the first thing my dad did was shake Max’s hand and then pull him into a hug. Diane Evans’ reaction was similar to my mom’s and then she and Mr. Evans pulled me into a hug too. There were congratulations given and quite a few tears, but in the end, I think everyone was happy for us. Okay, so Max did admit to me afterwards that his parents already knew he was going to propose and that he even asked for my dad’s blessing before he did so, but I still feel so happy that they are all so pleased and hopeful for us.

Anyway, now all we have to do is start planning the wedding.

Oh my God, just think – in less than fourteen months, I’m going to be Mrs. Max Evans!

The End