SoulMates in CyberSpace [ M/l M/M A/I teen] 3-11-08 COMPLETE

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: SoulMates in CyberSpace ch35 p10 M/l M/M A/I teen Mar 5

Post by ken_r »

We are almost through with our tale. Max and Liz must face the doubts and fears that their minds now generate.

EParker@southernbell.com

Hey Science Girl
Has that idiot brother of mine found you yet, or better and more likely, have you found him? Listen Science Girl, Max is real smart academically, but practically he can be a dud. I do not have your college address, so I am hoping that I can contact you this way. He hasn’t emailed me yet, so I do not know his college address either.

His name is Max Evans, so be looking for someone looking lost by this name. If you still want to find him, let me know and I will see what I can do to help. Damned men anyway! They can get to the moon, they can make an H-bomb, but to find the girl that they should be going with is beyond their abilities.

Write me and let me know how you are doing.
Isabel Evans thinking about being Whitman
Bye
----------------------------

It was a surprise for Liz. This was her home address and she only checked every week or so to see if there were any letters from relatives, or may be friends from home.

There was a brief letter from Grant. He said that training camp actually wasn’t that bad. He would be shipped out over seas before next summer. That was about all it said. There were a couple letters from acquaintances wanting to make an address log to keep up with students who had graduated. Aunt Theresa wanted to know if Liz was watching herself and being careful about those college men. Aunt Theresa had never married and was worried about what she believed was going on in the outer world.

Max was up early. Before he got off to school, he wanted to see if Science girl left him an email.

The text of her message was troubling. She had met a man, but she didn’t want to tell Alien about it yet. That had never happened before. He had told her that he had told Liz about Science Girl and Science Girl wanted them both make room for her in their relationship. Max was going to have to do some thinking about this. Tonight after classes, Max also had to write his sister. His mother had phoned him last night while he was with Liz and left a message on his answering machine for him to write Isabel.

IsEvans@qwest.net.

Isabel, I am using this email address because I hope you have retained it for friends and family. School is OK. The most I can say is it is BIG. You and Alex were probably smart to go to a smaller school. Not much is happening.

Oh yeah, I should tell you a story. I won’t say don’t laugh because I know you will, anyway. I met a girl on the plane. I have never met a girl like her before. We were joking and flirting. See I am learning. Well she was blinking these luscious brown eyes at me and she had these wonderful lips. I just kissed her, right out of the blue with no thought. I just leaned over and kissed her. At first, she was mad. Then, she thought about it. Then, suddenly she grabbed me and kissed me back harder than I have ever been kissed before. When we got off the plane, this girl named Maria, although she was traveling under a name Ria, grabbed my arm and the next thing I knew was I was in the cab with two beautiful girls heading to college. I really do not know what hit me.

Use my Alien address if you want.
Max
_______________________-

Isabel was sitting in the lap of her boyfriend. “That Damned brother of mine has gotten himself hooked up with the wrong girl,” she angrly told Alex.

Alex was nuzzling her hair with his face. He was alternately kissing her and tickling her by blowing in her ear and down her neck. Isabel was not in the mood to be placated. She shook herself but Alex held her firmly. “How can it be the wrong girl, if it is a girl he picked?” Alex asked with, to him, perfect logic.

“I set Max up with a girl he has been emailing since his sophomore year. Now he is flirting with a strange girl. If he isn’t careful, he is going to miss his soul mate,” Isabel told him. Alex knew that if he kept it up, she would soon melt in his arms, but Isabel had a bit more rant before she would let herself succumb to the amorous advances of her boyfriend. “I sent Max’s secret email girl to his college. Last week I sent her his name. If he is messing with some floozy, he will miss the chance of his life.”

As she got this last part out, Isabel squirmed in Alex’s lap and her lips found his. Alex’s hands were now under her blouse and, soon, they would be under her skirt.

Michael came up to Max Wednesday morning before Max had left for class. “Max, ole buddy, ole pal.” Max knew immediately that he was going to lose money or sleep. Max stopped and just looked at Michael. “Do you think you could do with a night on the couch at Maria’s place this Friday?” Michael pleaded with a wicked grin.

Max had to, almost, laugh because if he said no, what was Michael going to do. “What is in it for me?” Max asked.

Michael’s face fell. “Max, ole buddy, …you get a night with the little brunette. Isn’t that enough?” Michael looked perplexed.

Max had to laugh after this, “Yeah, Michael. I will do a turn on the couch, but someday, I am going to want turn about.”

That afternoon Max talked to Liz. “Michael and Maria are at it again. They want me out of my room. If I am on the couch, what shall we do before hand?”

Liz laughed, “No wine tasting.”

“We could go to a movie off campus,” Max suggested. “Maybe after a dinner, somewhere.”

Liz raised her eyebrows. “Is this a date or are we accommodating our roommates?”

Max smiled, “Why can’t it be both?”

That night Liz emailed Isabel.

IsEvans@qwest.net

Isabel
Yes, I found Max, or rather Liz has found him. He has no idea that I am Science Girl. It is complicated, you see. My roommate and his room mate are really horny for each other. They want a room so they decided that Max could spend the night on my couch. Then, they would use his room. Max has asked me out on a date, but he is asking Liz on a date and not Science Girl. I am afraid that I am becoming jealous of my self. I told you it was complicated. I will let you know how things go.

Liz/Science Girl
--------------------------

Isabel was lying face down across Alex’s lap. They were sitting on a couch. She was reading her email as Alex, with his English book resting on her butt, tried to concentrate on Shakespeare. Not only was it disconcerting to feel the soft mound of flesh under his hands supporting the book, but Isabel insisted on reading her email aloud. Soon, Alex was going to suggest that they quit studying for the night and see if they could find something else to do.

Alien41@roadrunnerway.com

Dear brother,
Are you doing anything else other than kissing strange girls? I know your are working hard at school. Look how hard I am working and with Alex’s help also. Are you still writing Science Girl? Do you still tell her everything? Have you ever thought of looking for her in person?

Your loving sister,
Isabel

With that, Isabel placed her computer on the end table and, rolling over, and spilling Shakespeare on the floor, she did a sit up, grasping Alex about the neck to bend his head down for a kiss. He ending up carrying her into the bedroom.

That email bothered Max for the rest of the week. He picked up Liz at her place. This time, he left off a small bag of clothes that he had brought. They went to a restaurant where Max made sure they had nothing stronger than iced tea. He had a list of movies and by the time he had called a cab, Liz had picked out a romantic comedy. She looked at him when she presented her choice. To any other date, she wouldn’t have dared to suggest that, but to Alien, she thought that he wouldn’t mind. Dinner, movie and, finally, a walk down the streets of the college town, completed their night. Finally, Max called a cab and, soon, they were back at Liz’s place. He walked her to the door. Liz handed Max her key and he opened the door.

“It is a lot easier this time without my arms full,” Max teased.

At first, Liz almost felt anger, but the twinkle in his eye and his arm comfortably around her shoulders, erased any sense of insult. In fact, Max was making this remark in a manner that almost meant a feeling of closeness. Liz remembered that she had mistrusted him that next morning, but Max had reassured her that she had his complete respect.

Liz went into her bedroom to change clothes. She was more confused than she had been since she was faced with Doug Shallow that prom night. Doug had Presented her with a surprise choice that she had not had time to consider. Max, now, was a problem that she had been thinking about, probably since her sophomore year in high school. She had never thought that she would be given a chance to face this problem, so the many solutions in her mind had never been well developed.

All the boys growing into men that Liz had known, had just been practice for Alien. Late at night, she had thought of Alien, almost, after every date. When she described her dates and feelings she was looking for affirmation from Alien that everything would work itself out and that everything would, eventually, be fine. Maybe the reason that Liz had never had really intense affections for her boyfriends, was that back somewhere in her mind, she knew that Alien dwelt. Now, he was before her and he had no idea of who she was.

Max was, also, having thoughts. How was he supposed to act? The comments that Michael had made were troubling to him. “I could swear there was something between you two last night. I imagined that you had her in the sack and were banging her full time.”

That was so “not Max” that it bothered him. Would any overtures he made toward Liz be viewed as this? Max wasn’t sure what Michael and Maria felt about love or sex, whatever. Max knew that what he had written to Science Girl was the way he wanted to face any situation of romance.

Science Girl would never be found. She was so much beyond Max that he could never find her. Even if he knew her college, the entrance requirements would probably be so high that they would never take him. No, Liz was what he had and Science Girl would remain just a fantasy. Max, so much, wanted to know Liz better that he could barely stand it.

Liz came back into the room. She had changed into slacks and a loose blouse. She sat facing Max on the couch, her barefeet tucked under her legs. “Max, what is your ideal girl friend?” she asked.

Max closed his eyes. He had answered this question so long ago to Science Girl. Science Girl was never real. She was just a fantasy that Max wrote to. “I would want her to be smart so we could talk together. I would want her compassionate so that when we made love, it would always feel right. I would want her to like me or I guess everything else wouldn’t make much sense. I would want her to be beautiful, but, you know, if she had these other things, she would be beautiful in my eyes always.” Max concluded what he could remember of what he had said to science Girl before. Then, he looked at Liz, “Your turn. What is would your ideal boyfriend be like?”

Liz thought. She couldn’t remember what she had told Alien. She remembered that she hadn’t been nearly as specific as he in their correspondence. “Well, I would want him to be considerate. I would want him to not be judgmental. Of course, I would want him to be smart and not just grunt while he was watching football on the tube.” She stopped as Max had a funny look on his face.

“That is what someone else told me,” he said.

“Then, it must be right.” Liz answered simply.

Max took her by the hand, “Liz, what about the secret friend? Are you still looking for him?”

Liz pulled back from Max for a minute. “Max, I have always wanted to be loved for who I am. I want to learn about love with someone who is real. The secret friend has been with me for several years. I came to this college because I knew that he was here. Now, I want the secret friend to accept me not just for letters written over the years. These letters will always be with us. These letters will always remind us of what we meant to each other.”

Liz could feel Max pull back from her. She held his hands firmer, not willing to let them go. Max, Science Girl wants Alien to accept her not for their adolescent friendship, but for an adult relationship that they can start now.

At first, Max was taken back. He had always been drawn to Liz. Now, he knew why. There would be many questions to be answered, but tonight he had found the girl of his fantasy and dreams. How it happened, he did not know. He just took her in his arms and held her.

“Max, we have talked over almost everything we could, over the last few years. I, at least, don’t have any questions,” she whispered in her ear.

Max picked her up for the second time. He walked, while in her embrace, into her room. For a while, cyber space would be silent.

You would think that, as well as they knew each other, things would be easy. Not so. Max sat beside Liz on her bed and, all the time thinking about Science Girl, he leaned over and kissed her. Max had had two romantic affairs while in high school. He, now, knew that these affairs were limited for the one reason that he was holding in his arms. He had always treated his girls with respect and they had returned in kind. Isabel had given him Tess. Tess had taught him physical love. Tess had given him Sharon and Sharon had taught him gentle passion. But all the while, it had been Science Girl who Max corresponded with by email, that he thought of when he made plans and decisions.

Liz was thinking that it had been Jamie who had opened the tender world of sex with her. She wondered how it would have been if she had given in to the selfishness of Kyle the first time or even to Doug Shallow, who considered sex as an obligation for his date to the prom. She briefly thought of the college boy that Maria had set her up with. He had been so tender and kind until he found out her age. What would he have been like? She would have had no more future with him than she had had with Jamie. Kyle, the second time, was interesting, but he so quickly reveled his true character. Grant, the man who accepted her and understood that she couldn’t handle an extended affair any better than he, had led her through the end of her high school. It had been Isabel, Max’s sister, who brought up the possibility of her actually meeting Max.

As they sat kissing and caressing, this was not a time of exploring it was a time of affirming. They both had expectations of the other.

Max pulled back and looked at Liz. He reached for the buttons of her blouse. He hesitated, waiting for her nod. Then, unbuttoning the garment and carefully helping her take it off, Max then reached behind her and deftly undid the clasp of her bra. Liz was now naked from the waist up for Max’s inspection.

Max, the gentlemen, had never described the physical attributes of the two women he had loved in his letters. Liz could not, but wonder, how she measured up to them. Were they big busted or hard bodied. Was the body she was offering enough in reality to make up for the girl in his mind, his ideal soul mate? Liz had forgotten the part, “If she is all these things I will think of her as beautiful in my eyes.” Max was facing the girl he had shared most of his life with. As he looked into her eyes, he felt his feelings rise with his physical lust.

Liz started to remove Max’s shirt. She longed to run her hands over his chest. Max wrapped his arms around Liz and pulled her close. This made her have , also, put her arms around his lower back. Liz ran her fingers under his waistband feeling his body. Max pulled back and helped Liz to stand. He undid her skirt as she undid his belt and zipper. Together, they kicked off their shoes and stepped out of their last outer garments. Now, her panties and his shorts were the only barrier between them. Max sat Liz back on the bed as he retrieved his wallet from his pants. He took out the condom that Tess , so long ago, demanded he always have present. Max pulled off his shorts and with Liz looking on, he pressed her back into the bed.

Max and Liz made love that night. With their past knowledge of each other, they could have been just old friends making the obvious expression of love. They both had fears that there might be a difference between their projected images and reality. They might even have been as virgins in each other’s arms with their fears of fulfilling each other’s expectations.

The next morning when Michael and Maria came back, they found Max and Liz peacefully sitting at their table eating a pastry and drinking coffee. “Just what have you two been up to?” Maria asked as she eyed each of the couple.

“Oh, nothing, Maria. We went to dinner, a movie and, then, returned. How was your evening?” Liz sweetly asked.

“Fine, and thanks, Max for giving up your room,” Maria answered. She was sure there was still a pint of chocolate ice cream in the tiny freezer of the refrigerator, if what ever Max and Liz had done last night, had not involved ice cream. The thought of covering Michael with ice cream detoured Maria’s thoughts for a minute. Max and Michael left for their own dorm.

As soon as Maria was sure Michael and Max were gone, she brought out the ice cream. She had checked the package. Whatever Max and Liz had done had not involved that desert.

Maria led off. She described the acrobatics she and Michael had practiced. Giving her an 80% grade in exaggeration, she still had established some sort of record. Maria could only describe that she and Michael had so much more to explore. Maria had, finally, found a man whose quest in the mysteries of love was as strong as her own. Maria saw the glazed over expression on Liz’s face, and turned her attention to her.

“Chica,” Maria started. Maria had dated a Hispanic boy back in high school and, although he had faded back into the herd of her other love affairs, she still loved that endearment. “Chica, what really happened between you and Max?”

“Maria, I told you. We went to dinner with no wine tasting this time. I choose a romantic comedy. We went to the movies. That is about all,” Liz said.

“Come on, Chica. I haven’t seen that glow about you since we were in Florida and you were with that Jamie character,” Marie replied.

“Well, I did tell him that I was Science Girl and we did, sort of, make love,” Liz murmured.

“And you don’t call that earth shaking? Alien is the guy you have been in love with since high school. You found him and you bedded him. Isn’t that some sort of a milestone?” Maria exclaimed.

Liz was silent for a minute. “Maria, have you ever thought of sleeping with someone who knew every secret you ever had? It was like being naked in broad daylight.” Liz explained.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: SoulMates in CyberSpace ch37 p11 M/l M/M A/I teen Mar 7

Post by ken_r »

IsEvans@qwest.net

Isabel
I found Science Girl. Imagine the odds of that! I only had one college to accept me and she had five. Our roommates wanted my rooms for the night, so I was back on her couch. We went to dinner and a movie. I can only say that the night was very good. Later, she told me that she was Science Girl.

I don’t know where we will go from here, but things look good.

Your brother
Max

Isabel was lying in bed with Alex. They were both naked and she was lying on her stomach reading her email. This was difficult because he was running his fingers from her butt to her neck along her spine. His blowing in her ear and the feel of his swollen manhood, were both demanding that she, soon, roll over and give into what they both wanted to spend the afternoon doing.

“Max has gotten together with Science Girl. He didn’t say if they were in bed or not. With anyone else, I would know. But, with my sometimes clueless brother, they could have spent the night just drinking coffee,” Isabel reported. Then, she gave in, putting the laptop back on the end table, she rolled over. Putting her arms around Alex, pulling him in for a kiss and to further tease his throbbing libido.

The next week proceeded almost like the ones before. Except, that Max met Liz in the morning to walk her to school. Sometimes Maria, to tease both of them, would walk with them. It became a regular sight to see Max with Liz on his arm, or other times, with a girl on either arm, one brunette and the other blonde.

When Liz would pick up a coke for Max, she automatically made it a cherry coke. When he bought a berger for her, he automatically told them to hold the Mayo and onions, but to put on extra pickles.

It was funny. They had been going together for only a week, but they had known each other for almost four years. Liz never asked Max about his past because she knew it. She had no jealousy about his former girl friends. They were what made Max, Max. The only boyfriends Max had any feelings about were those who deliberately hurt Liz. Liz wrote Isabel one night.

IsEvens@qwest.net

Isabel
Max and I are together. It is strange, like going with someone you have known for years. I guess that is what we are, old friends who are exploring love. There is no jealousy about his other girl friends. I only have the feeling that they made him what he is.

I am still afraid that I can’t live up to Science Girl and the way he saw her. I guess I am afraid I will make a mistake. I can’t remember all we talked about. I am sure it was very comprehensive. The difficulty is trying to be just myself and not some character, which might be only in his mind. Will sometime, somehow, I disappoint him?

Your friend
Science Girl
Liz

Isabel was having trouble reading the email because she was sitting next to Alex. Alex was reading his notes for tomorrow. He had pulled her skirt up and was stroking her inner thigh.

Sciencegirl@parkwaycable.com

Science Girl or Liz
Don’t!! Just be your self. Science girl would have changed as she grew up and you have, also. Just explain that to Max. You might even ask him how he has changed since he was in high school. You are living people and your memories of each other are in the past. My brother sometimes is clueless, but he is not stupid. Sometime, tell him how you found out about where he was going to college. I promised him a surprise and you are it.

The sister of your soulmate.
Isabel

By this time, Alex’s hand was as high as he could get it, so they just stumbled into the bedroom.

Liz felt a little better after reading Isabel’s message. Yes, she would just be herself. She and Max had traded secrets when they were, but children in high school. If they were truly soulmates they would have to accept each other as they were.

Max walked up to Michael. “Mike, old buddy, old pal. I need you to take Maria this weekend. We need the Liz’s dorm room.”

Michael was, at first, surprised. “I thought there was nothing going on between you and Liz?”

“Mike, old buddy, you would be surprised how fast things change,” Max answered.

Michael called Maria, “I understand you are being evicted this weekend. What do you want to do? Max says they want the dorm for the whole weekend.”

Max dropped by Liz’s dorm carrying the soft carryon bag from his plane flight. She met him at the door and they embraced.

The first thing Max asked was, “Has Michael been by to pick up Maria?”

Liz shook her head and pointed to the closed door of Maria’s room. “No, she is still here.”

Max made a face, “Well shall we just go out for a walk and, then dinner. We can decide what we want to do as we go.”

Liz called, “Maria, we are leaving.”

Maria came out. “So, Max we only took your room for one night. What’s the idea of wanting me out for a whole weekend?”

Max laughed, “Maria, Science Girl and I have four years to catch up on. It will take a whole weekend.”

Maria gently punched Max in the chest with her finger, “Well, buddy, you are just lucky that Michael and I have a whole lot of different things to explore or I would be back early tomorrow to demand my room back!”

As they were walking Liz looked at Max, “Could we just go back to our room after dinner? I want to talk about a lot of things this weekend. Maybe, we can go somewhere tomorrow night. Tonight, I would like to reserve just for us.”

Max looked at her, slightly surprised. “Of course, Liz, anything you want.”

When they returned. Liz went into her bedroom. When she came back out, she was wearing a loose sweater and sweatpants. Max could tell that she had no bra under the sweater and he was left to wonder what she was wearing under the sweatpants.

They were, again, sitting, facing each other, at opposite ends of the small couch that was in the living quarters of the dorm. Max wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

“Max, did you ever wonder why we were at the same college?” Liz asked.

Max thought, “Yes, I figured there was no chance that you would be at the only college that I had admission to.”

“Well, just as Isabel set you up with Tess that first time, Isabel emailed me what college you were going to attend. Luckily that was one of the colleges that I had been accepted at,” Liz explained.

Max frowned, “You mean you chose this college just because I was going to attend it?”

“Max, all the colleges that I got accepted to had good departments in Biochemistry. This college just had the added inducement of accepting one ‘Alien’ and that made the difference. I was so scared when you wrote that you had found a girl. It took me a while to realize that I was that girl.”

Max was thoughtful. Science Girl had chosen to meet him. She had the choice of several colleges and he only had one college to choose from. Liz had made the leap, across the rules and she was determined to find him. Liz had made the choice to come to where he was. She, , had an ally in his sister, Isabel. Isabel had always taken care of her brother. Max started to scoot over closer to Liz. She held up her hand to stop him.

“Max, I have some other things I want too say. We wrote beautiful letters when we were but children. We should always treasure them. We are no longer children. I am not the same person who wrote those letters and neither are you. You promised me you would never hurt a woman and I will trust you. For us, dating is a bit different. We already know about each other’s past. We only can now learn about our future. Let’s not play with each other. I want to be serious and I hope you do, also. We should only continue this if we want to try to make it really work.” Liz leaned back. She had said all that was bothering her. Maybe, she had said the wrong thing and Max would leave. Better that, than to go forward with something she wanted so badly.

Max turned to Liz. “Liz, there are some things in our past that I want to bring out. I want to meet your parents. I want to see your home. I want you too meet my parents and to see where I lived. I want you to meet Isabel and her boyfriend. I want for us to talk freely to each other as we did online, always.”

Max leaned toward Liz. This time, she allowed herself to be drawn toward him. As Max felt her body under her two garments, he was right. They were all she was wearing. When they walked into her bedroom, Max saw the covers had been turned down and the bed had been made up with fresh clean sheets. This time, Liz was way ahead of Max so he quickly took off his clothes. Retaining his wallet with the ever-present condom inside, there was a small box of condoms in his carry bag. Max wanted to be prepared for this weekend.

Max wanted to be prepared for that time after they were married and through college to approach Liz without any precautions or protections at all. He wanted to be prepared when they, decided to make a family.
---------------------------------------------------
This was a Valentine’s Day romance. I pushed it to get through during the month of February. Dating is supposed to be a time of learning each other. Sometimes it is a time of just learning people. I always remember the warning to only date someone you would maybe wish to marry. As Michael told Max that didn’t leave much room for just sex. Max had out grown, just sex, in high school. Now when he finally met Science Girl they both knew a lot about each other. As pointed out ideally Max and Liz were both taking chances in high school. The chance of getting pregnant with people they didn’t really love at a time when they could not afford to settle down in love.

They were faced with the concept that they would miss much of the fun of dating and learning each other, but they would also miss the stumbling of misunderstanding as they sought to learn each other’s true characters, if they had been true in their correspondence.

Isabel said that Max was not good at making choices. He now was only faced with accepting a choice he had been living with for so many years.

You might ask how was Isabel so lucky to find her soulmate way back in high school? Well she wasn’t part of the story so we don’t know.

Will they live happily ever after? We hope so after all we wasted a whole month reading about them finding each other.

Does love really exist? We hope so, again, that is the purpose of being a writer. We want a world where princes and princesses really find each other and make mighty kingdoms with their love.

-------------------------------------------------
Haunted Memories What would you do if you were a homicide detective? Your have the murder of a beautiful woman who everyone said was a saint. Your only clue, was held by the very confused ghost of the victim that you weren’t even sure you were actually seeing. The story is near completion.

Liz Come back is Canon and occurs after "Graduation." Liz is captured and held for a year in the "white room." When she gets free she believes that everyone she held dear has been killed so she has little care about her future. it may be hard to read but if you can it is a story of strength and coming back.

Cowgirl Princess is about a society girl who comes out west and meets a group of ranchers. It is not the ranchers but rather the fact she, meets people who have no care for trappings of society, but rather care for what a person really is.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-