Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] (Complete)

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 10

Post by WR »

Chapter 10

Oh no, I see,
I spun a web, it's tangled up with me,
And I lost my head,
The thought of all the stupid things I said,
O no what's this?
A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle,
So I turned to run,
The thought of all the stupid things I've done,

I never meant to cause you trouble,
And I never meant to do you wrong,
And I, well if I ever caused you trouble,
O no, I never meant to do you harm.

O no I see,
A spider web and it's me in the middle,
So I twist and turn,
Here I am in love in a bubble,

Singing, I never meant to cause you trouble,
I never meant to do you wrong,
And I, well if I ever caused you trouble,
Although I never meant to do you harm.

They spun a web for me,
They spun a web for me,
They spun a web for me.

Trouble by Coldplay

"You know," Jesse groaned as he collapsed onto his bed, rubbing his shoulder - aching from carrying golf bags all day. "When I'm earning big bucks, I'm coming back here as a guest. This is an awesome place."

"Yeah," Alex nodded. "It is."

He was already laid back on his bed with his raised arms up, his fingers laced behind his head. He was staring at the ceiling.

"And it's good to be with the guys again," Jesse chuckled. "Even if Max isn't really there. If you know what I mean."

"Yeah," Alex gave another nod.

"Man, talk about surprised," Jesse continued. "I mean, finding that Max has actually gone on more than two dates with the same girl... That's he's finally fallen in love. I mean, it really must be apocalypse."

"Yeah," Alex remained motionless this time.

"She's a lovely girl, too," Jesse gave a nod of approval. "She seems really nice."

"And so out of Max's League," Alex shook his head.

"Huh?" Jesse looked over at his friend. "How do you mean?"

"Come on, Jesse," Alex rolled over and propped his head up on one bent arm. "Isn't it obvious? She comes from money. And class. Her old man owns this freaking place."

His free hand waved in the air at their surroundings.

"I don't see how that's a problem," Jesse frowned.

"Because Max doesn't," Alex spit out. "No money and no class."

"I don't suppose Max cares." Jesse shrugged. "And Liz doesn't seem to."

"Right," Alex rolled his eyes. "I can just see Liz, living with Max in a crappy trailer just like the one he lives in now. Max isn't like us, Jesse. He's going to end up just like his ol' man. Dead end job, dead end life, dead end everything."

"Isn't that why he's here? To earn money so he can change all that?"

"Right," Alex nodded. "By marrying the boss's daughter? All that crap about falling in love? Can't you see it? He's faking it. He's using her. An easy ride, just like his ol' man."

"I think you're..."

"Don't you breathe a word of this, Jesse," Alex twisted himself around so that he was sitting up on the edge of his bed now. His eyes were burning into Jesse's. "Not even to Michael."

"Word of what?" Jesse copied him by sitting up though looking less intense.

"What I'm about to tell you," Alex looked Jesse in the eye. "Promise?"

"Yeah, okay," he nodded. "I promise. Now what am I not to say a word of."

"I've fallen in love."

Jesse blinked.

"Shit, I knew that," Jesse rolled is eyes. "Hell, Michael knows it, too. So does Max. News flash, Alex. We already told them about you getting pre-engaged to Maria."

"No," Alex shook his head. "Not that sappy kind of home town just-because-it-seems-natural love. Real love. Deep, meaningful, the whole nine yards." He looked around the room before speaking softly. "I've fallen in love with Liz. Elizabeth."

There was what could only be described as a pregnant pause.

"Oh, shit," Jesse swore, leaning back while shaking his head. "What about Maria?"

"Excuse me?" Alex blinked.

"What about Maria?" Jesse repeated.

"What about Maria?" Alex shrugged. "Maria's great and all... but she's just so... provincial. Maria can't hold a candle to Elizabeth. She's... she's beautiful. She's elegant. She's graceful. She's... Elizabeth is the kind of woman who would grace any setting. I mean... she'd make the ideal hostess when you invite the Governor around, or meet Senators. She's just... Can you even see Maria doing something like that? And Elizabeth's looks? Sure, Maria's hot. But Elizabeth has a timeless, classic beauty. She's so beautiful, it hurts when I look at her."

"That's probably your conscience," Jesse growled. "Telling you how wrong this is."

"And to think of Max mauling her..." Alex ignored him. "God! It makes me want to hurl him away from her very presence."

"Wait," Jesse held up a hand. "I thought you told Max that she wasn't your type?"

"Don't be so stupid," Alex spat. "What else was I going to say? I'm going to steal your girl from you? I'm not that dumb, Jesse."

"Steal," Jesse repeated, dragging out the word. "As in..."

"As in, I'm going to ask her out," Alex confirmed. "On a date."

"What?" he was dumbfounded. "You can't be serious."

"I am," Alex gave a curt nod. "Most definitely. And why not? I'm at least her equal, socially. We go to the same college. Heck, our fathers are great friends, alumni of that same college, members of the same Fraternity. If there's a better match out there, then I fail to see it. Face it. Why wouldn't she want to go out with me?"

"I don't know," Jesse feigned ignorance. "Oh yeah. Maybe because she's seeing Max. Who happens to be one of your best friends."

"Haven't you heard, Jesse?" Alex grinned. "All's fair in love and war."

Jesse shook his head as he watched Alex turn over and pull the sheet over him. With a heavy sigh, he turned out the light and rolled over to get some sleep. This was shaping up to be a long summer.

"This one?" Maria held up a dress against her self, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"Nuh, uh," Tess shook her head, scrunching up her nose. "What about this one?"

Tess held up a dress to her own frame.

"It looks nice," Maria nodded. "Only, I don't have your advantages to carry a dress like that off."

"Oh, well, "Tess shrugged and hung the dress up on the rack. "Where to now?"

"Where else?" Maria shrugged.

"Sure," Tess nodded. "I heard they got some new stuff in."

"That's this way, right?"

Tess frowned at her.

"How long have you lived here, Maria?"

"All my life. Why?"

"Since when do you forget how to get to only our favorite dress store since we hit puberty?"

"I miss Alex, okay?" Maria pouted. "And... and I'm a little worried, too."

"Worried?" Tess was surprised. "What have you got to be worried about? I mean, he practically proposed to you, and no way will the guys let him even think of looking at another girl."

"He's been gone a week, Tess," Maria's face fell.

"And?"

"And I haven't heard from him since he left," she looked at her friend. "Not a single phone call, not a single letter, email or even an IM."

"You are allowed to call him, you know," Tess gave her a wry look.

"I'm aware of that," Maria rolled her eyes. "His phone sends me straight to his voicemail, and I've left, like, a dozen messages. He's never online, and I wrote him three letters. Jeez," Maria shook her head. "Desperate much?"

"Well," Tess tapped her chin as she thought. "Why don't you pop down for a surprise visit?"

"Oh!" Maria squealed. "Or better yet. Maybe I could call the place and see if they have any jobs open. How about it, Tess? You up for it?"

"Me?" Tess gasped. "Wait on other people? Not a chance in hell. You're on your own, babe."

"Okay, Amanda," Liz called from the other side of the tennis court. "That's enough for today. Remember what I said about your follow through, and if you keep practicing, then I'm sure you'll be much improved by our next lesson."

"Okay," the sandy haired teenager nodded. "Thanks, Liz."

"No problem," Liz smiled as she put her racquet back into her bag. "I have to scoot, so I'll see you in a few days, 'kay?"

"Hot date with the hot Italian?" Amanda smirked.

"Nothing like that," Liz grinned as she hefted her bag over her shoulder. "I do teach other people, you know."

Waving goodbye to the teenager, Liz made her way to her locker, a short distance from the tennis courts. A pink tulip had been wedged into one of the grills.

"Okay," she spoke loudly, hoping Max was close enough to hear her. "I knew that the thorn-less rose meant love at first sight. And the red roses you keep leaving me are for love. But a pink tulip? And have you run out of tape?"

"Good evening, Elizabeth," Alex stepped from behind the lockers.

He was dressed in his resort uniform.

"Hi, Alex," Liz gave him a friendly smile. "How are you? I haven't seen much of you or Jesse since you got here, last week. Oh, and by the way. It's Liz. Okay?"

"I guess Max has been keeping you, uh..." his bitterness was well concealed. "busy, huh?"

"Yeah," Liz's smile took on a dreamy countenance. "So, uh... What have they got you doing?"

"Oh," Alex gave a theatrical shrug. "Me and Jesse were employed as golf caddies."

"Oh," Liz nodded with an impressed look. "The caddies can make great tips. And I expect you and the guys are all having great fun, too, huh?"

"Yeah," Alex nodded. "Although, between you and me, you know that I'm kind of used to being the one tipping the caddies, right?"

"So you'll know just the right way how to suck up," she laughed.

Alex gave a huge smile at her laughter.

"Yeah," he laughed with her. "As a matter of fact, I do. Hey, I hear that you go to Berkeley, too."

"Oh, yeah," Liz's head bobbed up and down. "Small world, huh? Max was telling me that you go there."

"He was, huh?" his eyes widened. "What are you majoring in?"

"Business Studies," Liz waved her hand at the resort. "My Dad's idea."

"No way!" Alex sounded impressed and surprised at once. "Same as me! Business Studies and it was my Dad's idea, too. Man, we have got so much in common. And it's kind of surprising that we already haven't crossed paths."

"Oh... well," Liz shrugged. "It's not like we would have noticed one another. You know, me only just recently getting to know Max."

"Well, if I had seen you, Liz," Alex smiled, his voice low and husky, "then trust me. I would have remembered. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anyone as... noticeable as you. You are, uh, very attractive, you know."

"Oh," Liz looked down at the contents of her locker.

Her ears were burning bright red. She fell silent.

"So," Alex spoke up, breaking the sudden silence. "July the Fourth Ball, huh? Everyone welcome."

"Oh, yeah," Liz looked up at the same poster that Alex has just been looking at, glad of the change of topic. She started to smile, brightly. "It should be really good, this year."

"Oh?" Alex raised an eyebrow. "Why is that?"

"Oh," Liz shook his question away. "You'll see. I take it you're going."

"Absolutely," Alex nodded emphatically. "In fact, I was wondering, you know, if you might like to go to the July the Fourth ball with me. As my date."

"Uhm..." Liz frowned, blinking in astonishment. "Alex, you know I can't do that. Apart from the fact that my father is expecting me to go with Kyle... which is totally not going to happen..."

"Well, before you give me your answer," Alex interrupted. "How about we take the time to get to know each other a little better. How about you letting me take you out to dinner? In town. Say, tonight?"

"Uh, Alex?" Liz's forehead was furrowed. "You know I'm kind of seeing Max, right?"

"Yeah," Alex gave a nod that hid his dark scowl. "But like you said. Only 'kind of'. I mean, it's not like you're serious, or even exclusive, right?"

"I thought you were Max's best friend?" Liz's eyes narrowed.

"So what's your point?" Alex shrugged.

"Oh," Liz looked away. "You know what? I'm going to be late for my next lesson."

Grabbing her bag, Liz hurried way, in the opposite direction of the tennis courts.

"She blew you away, huh?" Jesse appeared from behind the lockers.

"Shut up, Jesse," Alex watched Liz leaving. "That was just the opening salvo. Letting her know I'm interested. She's just a little confused now, is all. She'll come around."

"You sure about that?" Jesse arched an eyebrow. "'Cause that looked to me like she just wasn't interested."

"Well, that's just where you are wrong," he turned to face Jesse with an annoyed look on his face.

"Aren't you afraid that she'll just go running to Max and tell him that you just hit on her?"

"I can handle Max," Alex shrugged.

"Of course you can," Jesse snorted. "As long as he's wrapped in chains and fast asleep."

"Besides, there's two reasons why she won't breathe a word of this to Max. The first is because she won't want to say anything to him in case it wrecks his friendship with me. She would never do that."

"You're missing the point," Jesse looked down the path where Liz had vanished. "She would never do that to Max."

"She's not in love with him," Alex shook his head. "Which is the second reason she won't say anything. In spite of what she says, she was flattered at my attention. She's interested in me."

"Are you sure about that?" Jesse looked back at his friend. "I know you've seen them together as much as I have. If you ask me, she's as much in love with him as he is with her."

"Well I'm not asking you," Alex spat. "Anyway, how can she be? They're just too different. He might as well be an alien."

"I don't think she would care if he was," Jesse smirked. "She really likes him, Alex. And Max really likes her."

"Then I'm just going to have to do something about that, then," Alex hissed with a chill in his voice. "Won't I?"

"Alex..." Jesse started.

"Shut up, Jesse."

Last edited by WR on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 10 12-12 pg 18

Post by WR »

Sorry for the delay, everyone! Bad time to fall ill. Christmas, busy at work and me feeling like... well, cr@p!

Thank you for your feedback, and here the next part. I'm going to take two aspirin, a snort of brandy and crawl into bed! :cry:

:lol:

Chapter 11

Another red letter day
So the pound has dropped and the children are creating
The other half ran away
Taking all the cash and leaving you with the lumber
Got a pain in the chest
Doctor's on strike what you need is a rest

It's not easy love but you've got friends you can trust
Friends will be friends
When you're in need of love they give you care and attention
Friends will be friends
When you're through with life and all hope is lost
Hold out your hands cos friends will be friends right till the
end

Now it's a beautiful day
The postman delivered a letter from your lover
Only a phone call away
You tried to track him down but somebody stole his number
As a matter of fact
You're getting used to life without him in your way

It's so easy now 'cos you got friends you can trust
Friends will be friends
Friends will be friends
end

It's so easy now 'cos you got friends you can trust
Friends will be friends
Friends will be friends
end

Friends will be friends
Friends will be friends
Hold out your hands 'cos right till the end-
Friends will be friends...yeah!

Friends will be Friends by Queen

"How many more times is she going to have to say 'no' to you before you get the message?" Jesse shook his head as they approached the Staff Club house door. "That's three days. Three times you've asked her out and three times she's turned you down, flat."

"I never said it would be instant," Alex shrugged. "Besides, not once has she actually said no. She has, in fact, never given me an answer. She's deliberately keeping lines of communication open while she thinks it over. And has she said anything to Max? No, she has not. And why is that? Because she is interested, but just making me work for it. Just like Maria made me work for it."

"But Maria wasn't in love with someone else at the time."

"Trust me," Alex pushed the door open. "If Liz really wanted to, she could stop me asking by telling me 'no', or by telling Max what I'm doing. By definition, she does not want me to stop. Any day now, her and Max will be history. She just wants to dump him first before she accepts a date with me."

"Maybe," Jesse spoke quietly, "she doesn't know how to handle the situation and just running away from you all the time 'is' her way of saying no."

As they stepped into the room and looked for their friends, they saw a surprising sight. Michael and Max were sitting at a table in the corner. Michael was sipping a cola, staring into space, while Max had his head cradled on his interlaced hands, resting on his elbows, looking thoroughly miserable. Heartsick, almost.

"Told you," Alex smirked. "Looks to me like he just got dumped."

Jesse could only shake his head in disbelief. Together, the two friends approached the others.

"Hey, guys," the two of them greeted the others.

"Hey," Max and Michael both mumbled.

"How come you're not with Liz?" Alex asked innocently.

"Oh," Max looked up and pulled a look of disgust. "Her father made her go out on a date with that Valenti creep. Some big business function. It sucks having a girl you like be with someone else, even if..."

Max seemed to realize something and he looked over at Michael.

"Aw, jeez," he rolled his head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't sweat it," Michael shrugged it off. "You pine to your heart's content."

"No, it's okay," Max shook his head. "I know it means nothing to her. I know she loves me. It just... sucks. So anyway, it's the four of us tonight. No more moping."

"Agreed," Jesse nodded. "Maybe we should do something."

"After we eat," Alex reached for a menu. "I'm freaking starving."

"You guys taking anyone to the ball?" Max looked up from his steak.

"I have hopes," Alex gave a mysterious grin.

"Oh?" Michael looked up. "Is Maria coming down?"

"Uh, no," Alex shook his head.

"That's a pity," Max mumbled.

"Isn't it?" Jesse stated blandly. "Aiya!"

His outburst came as a result of a swift kick to the shin from Alex.

"I, ah," he repeated, covering his exclamation, "I think I might ask that cute girl who runs the putt-putt golf stand. You know, the one with the rack out to here?"

Jesse held his hands in a circular fashion in front of him.

"You and almost every other guy," Max chuckled.

"I'm not sure I'm even going to go," Michael shrugged. "Not really my scene, you know?"

"Dude," Max gave his friend a look of sympathy. "You have to go. It should be really good this year."

Alex's head snapped to attention.

"I was talking with Liz, earlier in the week," he admitted. "She said pretty much the same thing. I asked her why, but she wouldn't say."

"Oh," Max gave a distant nod, but he was clearly exploding at the seams with his news. "Aw, heck. Listen you guys."

Max leaned forward across the table, forcing his head to go lower to the surface. The others followed suit until they were all huddled in what looked like a very conspiratorial circle. Max dropped his voice to a hushed tone so that only the four of them could hear it.

"I'm taking Liz to the ball," he told them.

"No offence, Maxwell," Michael replied. "But are you trying to get your ass fired? 'Cause when Kyle finds out, he's gonna try to bust your ass, and I know that there's no way in hell you're gonna stand by and let him."

"No, no, listen." Max gave his head a violent shake. "We've been discussing it. It's Liz's birthday on the fourth. She's twenty-one. So we're going to enter the ball together, as a couple, and Liz is going to quietly talk to her father, letting him know that it's her life and that she wants to spend the rest of it with me."

"It's about time," Michael gave a soft snort. "Some of the other guys have asked questions 'bout you two, so her Dad is bound to notice sooner or later. Better to present a united front, huh?"

"So, you're going to get engaged?" Jesse asked, his eyes on Alex.

"Not until after we graduate," Max shook his head. "We're going to surrender a few concessions to the Duke."

"Heck," Alex grinned brightly, raising himself up and slapping Max on his back. "Congratulations, dude."

"Ditto," Jesse nodded.

"Oh, shit!" Alex suddenly exclaimed, looking at his watch. "I almost completely forgot. I'm supposed to be over at the clubhouse talking to the pro about the competition thing we have to organize for tomorrow." He started to rise. "I'll catch you guys later."

Alex walked through the ornate gateway and along the red paved path that led to the front door of the large, luxurious house. Standing upright, with confidence, he pressed the small button. Behind the door, the sounds of Westminster chimed. A few moments later, a light went on above his head and the door opened. Jeffery Parker stood in the doorway and stared at Alex for a few moments.

"Alex, right?" he finally made the connection. "Alex Whitman."

"Yes," Alex nodded, pleased that he was recognized. "That's right, sir.

"Sir," Jeff gave a soft snort. "I'm not really a Duke, you know. Won't you come in?"

"Thank you," Alex smiled, stepping past Mr. Parker who had moved back to let him in.

Alex followed Jeff into his study. Jeff indicated a seat and the two men sat down.

"So, what can I do for you, Alex?" Jeff wondered out loud. "Is everything okay, work wise?"

"It is, Mr. Parker," Alex nodded. "Everything is fine. It's not, uh, so much as what you can do for me, but what I can do for you."

"It's getting kind of late," Jeff glanced at the clock. "Can this wait 'till tomorrow?"

"This will only take a moment," Alex shook his head. "And so I'll come straight to the point. I've known Max... Max Evans, your sailing instructor, a long time. And I normally wouldn't betray a friend's confidence like this, but I feel I really need to tell you about this if only to protect Max from himself, from making a big mistake and ruining not only his life but the life of someone else I care about."

"I see," Jeff frowned, his eyebrows knitting together. "Go on."

"You see, Max lives in a trailer home, okay? In Sacramento. He only goes to a community college, okay? And of course, with you being an old friend of my father's and all... Well, My Dad would disown me if he ever found out that I could have prevented this tragedy from happening and did nothing because of some misguided loyalty for someone like Max."

"Is Max in some kind of trouble, Alex?" Jeff had not stopped frowning. "Is that what you're trying to tell me?"

"No, sir," Alex shook his head. "Liz is."

"Liz?" Jeff's whole demeanor changed. He became protective. "What about Liz?"

"Are you aware that Max has been seeing Liz behind your back?"

"He's what?" Jeff stood up, the anger burning through him.

"Yeah," Alex continued. "And I don't think his intentions are, uh, honorable, if you know what I mean."

"And just what exactly do you mean?" His words were as cold as his anger was hot.

Alex took a deep breath.

"I believe that it's my duty to inform you that they plan to embarrass you at the ball by turning up together, as a couple. Uhm... a married couple."

"They're what?"

Alex wondered if that roar could have been heard all over the camp.

"Yessir," Alex nodded. "Max told me that they're driving over to Reno on the morning of the fourth, getting married and then coming to the ball. He has reservations in the bridal suit at the Days Inn over at Zephyr Cove. False names, of course, so the owner doesn't call you to spill the beans. Mr. Parker, Max is only doing this for the money. He knows easy street when he sees it. His father is just the same. Married his mom for her money. And Liz... I think she's obsessed, and not in a healthy way."

Mr. Parker seethed for a few moments before he could trust himself to speak.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Alex," he finally spoke, much more in control now. "I know that Liz doesn't think too highly of Kyle, but the man would be a great catch. He has a great head for business. I have high hopes that she might see this for herself, soon. And this Max. I thought better of the boy."

"In his defense," Alex shrugged his shoulders, "he hasn't exactly had a great role model, you know? It's all he knows. The only two girls he has ever shown the remotest interest in has been Maria, back home and now Liz. Both come from money. Maria saw through him, but Liz...

"Thank you, again, Alex," Jeff nodded, indicating the door. "You will not go un-rewarded."

"Thank you, sir," Alex gave a polite smile. "But I don't need any reward. I would appreciate it though, if you would not let anyone know how you found out about all of this."

"Don't worry, Alex," Jeff reached out to shake Alex's hand. "I won't breathe a word of this to anyone. And thank you."

"Well, good night, sir," Alex turned on the doorstep. "And if there's anything I can help you with, just give me a call.

In a manner that could only be described as haphazardly, Max, dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, was stuffing his remaining possessions into his bag. His face was a mask of misery. Michael sat on the bed to one side, watching.

"I'll quit," Michael knelt down beside the bed and pulled out his own bag. "I'll come home with you."

"No," Max shook his head. "You don't have to do that, Michael. Thanks for the offer, but this is my mess. I made my bed and now I have to lie in it. Stay, enjoy the rest of the summer."

"I can't believe he fired you just because you and Liz have fallen in love."

"Yeah," Max nodded. "But he was really angry about something. It was all he could do to simply tell me that I had betrayed his trust and that I was to leave. Talk about the dark ages..." He started packing again. "Low life, pond dwelling scum sucker."

"He's just looking out for his only daughter, Max," Michael raised his eyebrows. "That's a harsh name to call him."

"No," Max shook his head. "No, that's what he called me."

"Oh," Michael managed to hide his chuckle.

Alex and Jesse entered the room, both walking in a little cautiously. Jesse hung by the back door.

"We just heard," Alex laid a sympathetic hand on his friend's shoulder. "What are you going to do?"

"Go home, I guess," Max shrugged. "Maybe I can get my old job back at Wal-Mart."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Alex asked, his face a mask of sincerity.

"No," Max looked around the room. "I'm pretty much all packed." He lifted his bag to his shoulder. "Well, I guess I should head on out. He's making me walk to town. He says the courtesy bus is in use."

"But it's raining out there," Jesse looked toward the window.

"I offered you a lift," Michael reminded him.

"No," Max shook his head. "You should already be at work. No sense in us both losing our jobs."

"What are you going to do about college?" Alex frowned.

"Looks like I get to graduate from community college," Max gave a weak smile. "Better than not graduating at all, I guess."

"What about Liz?" Jesse called from near the door. "What did she say?"

"I'm not allowed back on the grounds," Max's face fell as he shook his head. "I don't even know if she knows he's fired me."

"I'll tell her," Alex gave a soft smile.

"Thanks, man," Max slapped Alex's arm.

"Hey, that's what friends are for."

"If I send you guys text messages and stuff, can you pass them on for me?" Max looked at them. "'Cause I bet, sure as eggs are eggs, he'll change her phone."

"Sure," Alex nodded. "I pass by the tennis courts every day. Send them to me, Max. I'll pass them on. And I'll send you her replies."

"Thanks, Alex," Max straightened himself, preparing to leave. "You're a good friend."

Jesse chose that moment to have a coughing fit. Alex threw him a murderous look.

"Well, I'm not very good with good-byes, so... catch you later, dudes!" As Max walked through the door, he gave a generic wave over his head.

"Game," Alex whispered to Jesse. "To Whitman."

Last edited by WR on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 11 12-21 pg 20

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my absence but I have not been well. :( But, here I am at last with the next installment.

Thank you so much for all your kind words and comments. Although I'm not going to respond individually, I would like to point something out regarding Jesse. Alex made Jesse promise not to say anything about his plans. So, although he is not being a good friend in particular, he is keeping to his word. As he plans to become a lawyer, he believes that this is important. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

No excuses for Alex, though! :wink:

Ok... no more delay. Enjoy :)

Wayne.

Chapter 12

Time it was and what a time it was, it was,
A time of innocence, a time of confidences.

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you

Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel

That should have been that, really. I mean, Max was on his way home to Sacramento with no real way of keeping in touch with Liz, not with his supposed best friend who was going to be acting as his go between while in reality, trying to score with his girl. Max was doomed. And if I had even had a hint of what was going on, I would have done everything in my power to help him out. But there was still one more card to play, another player who would have a say in Max's future. And it's both surprising and ironic that it came about, in a way, from his own background.

There was little point in trying to avoid getting wet if Max wanted to get home any time that day. Instead of waiting for the rain to die down, or dart from cover to cover, trying to remain as dry as possible, Max trudged wearily along the side of the narrow road that lead from the resort, toward Zephyr cove and the local bus service.

His bag was slung over one shoulder, and he walked hunched over, trying to find whatever little protection he could. His sneakers were as wet as the rest of his clothes, giving a squelch every time he stepped. He had long ago stopped trying to avoid the puddles. Looking - and feeling - like a drowned rat, Max stopped and turned his back against the rain and used his hand to wipe his face free of the running water. He glanced both directions along the road. There was nothing in either direction. With a grimace of discomfort, Max turned and started to walk again.

It was after almost an hour of walking when the battered old Ford pickup passed Max and pulled over, a little way ahead of him. Max hurried to the truck and paused at the opened window. A middle-aged man, perhaps in his late forties, with a receding hairline leaned over from the driver's seat.

"Where you headed? he called out.

"Town," Max replied, almost too exhausted to say anything else.

"Hop in," the man reached over and released the door.

Grateful for the lift, Max dumped his bag in the foot well and climbed up into the cab.

"Uh, sorry," Max tried to wipe some of the water that was pooling on his seat. "I'm kind of wet."

"It happens when you walk in the rain," the man chuckled. "You from the country club?"

"Yeah," Max nodded.

"Hmm," the man frowned. "I thought they had a courtesy bus."

"They do," Max gave a sardonic smile. "But not for people like me."

"Oh?" his eyebrows raised. "And what kind of people would that be?"

"I was working there, but they fired me."

"How come?" the man glanced sideways at him. "Caught with your hand in the till?"

"No," Max shook his head. "Nothing like that. I, uh... fell in love with the wrong girl."

"You fell in love with Liz?" the man gave a rueful shake of his head. "Please tell me you didn't..."

"No, no," Max looked horrified. "At least... nothing she didn't want me to. She, uh... I think she liked me, too."

"No kidding," he started to laugh. "I guess ol' Duke didn't take too kindly to that. So what was it you did over there?"

"I gave sailing lessons."

The pickup swerved momentarily as the man stared at Max with his jaw open.

"Really?" he asked, gaining control of the truck. "Sailing, huh? You any good?"

"Yeah," Max smiled. "I do okay."

"Of course you do," the driver smiled. "Otherwise Duke wouldn't have hired you. Listen... My name is Doug. Doug Shellow. And I run this summer camp, see. Camp Sequoia. It's nothing like the resort you just came from, 'cause I kind of cater for disadvantaged kids, you know? It's kind of an outreach center. I have a few boats but no one who knows how to sail them. And I bet the kids would love to learn how to sail. Course, I might have to get you to help out with other duties, too. I can't afford to hire too many people and we all have to be jacks of all trades. And I can't pay you much. But you get free board and lodging and all the sailing you can handle. Interested?"

"Sure," Max nodded eagerly. A small smile lit up his face. He could stay close to Liz. He would pass a message to her through Alex just as soon as he could. "It sure beats going home to what I have to go home to."

Michael was exhausted. He had just spent the whole miserable day in the sailing club house, answering questions about Max as best as he could. Not only from fellow employee's but from irate customers bitching because Max wasn't there to give them their sailing lessons. To his colleagues, Michael suggested that the reason was none of their damn business. To the guests, he suggested that they take their feedback to Mr. Parker - Michael refused to call him 'Duke' any more - as it had been his decision to let Max go. Heck, let the old man handle this - he caused this mess, after all. Michael hoped that they did take it to him. Max had been popular amongst the guests. As he collapsed onto his bed, Michael idly wondered if Max had made it home yet. He would call him... just as soon as he could get his body to respond.

The strange, yet familiar sound roused him. Max's phone was ringing. The same phone that Max should have on him so that his friends could contact him. Even if only to pass on any messages from Liz. Michael's eyes zeroed in on the small device, underneath Max's bed.

"Dammit," Michael cursed as he picked up the phone and flipped it open.

"Hello?" he barked.

There was a moment's silence at the other end.

"Michael?" a girl finally asked. "Michael? Is that you?"

"Yeah," he answered, trying to place the voice.

"What are you doing with Max's phone?"

"He dropped it," Michael shrugged. "I answered it." Then, he placed the voice. "Is that you, Maria?"

"Yeah, it is," she confirmed. "Listen. I've been trying to get hold of Alex, but his phone seems permanently switched off."

"Oh," Michael frowned. If Maria had been 'his' girlfriend, he would have his phone on constantly in case she phoned. He didn't tell her this, of course. He didn't know what to say.

"So I was hoping to talk to Max. Is he, uh, with you?"

"No, sorry," Michael shook his head. "Max isn't here right now. Maybe I could help?"

"Well, maybe. I'm really missing Alex, you know? And I was kind of wondering if there are any openings down there."

"Uh, I think they're all filled, Maria," he replied. Unless you are as good a sailor as Max. "But I think they have something in litter picking detail. But I think they probably need a guy because it involves some heavy lifting."

"Oh, okay," Maria seemed disappointed. "Well, thanks. Uh... tell Max I said hi. And of course, hi to you, too. And Jesse. And can you tell Alex..."

There was a pause.

"No, Michael. You know what? Can you forget that I called? Please don't say anything to anyone, ok? Can you keep this between you and me?"

"Of course I can," Michael smiled. "Of course I can."

"Well, listen. I gotta go now."

"Okay Maria," Michael was disappointed. "Nice talking to you."

"You too, Michael. Bye."

"See you," he sighed.

"No, you won't," Maria chuckled as she was pressing the disconnect button.

"Look, Kyle," Jeff Parker ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "The guy's gone, okay? There's no reason for her to ignore you anymore."

The two men were in Jeff's office.

"Easy for you to say," Kyle pouted with an air of petulance. "Since she found out you fired him, she's blaming me. She thinks I had a hand in this."

"Rather you than me," Jeff, shifted a little uneasily. "Look, don't worry, okay? You know how women can be. Always changing their minds. And she'll forget Max soon enough. Besides, I have an ace up my sleeve."

There was a knock at the door. Alex Whitman stood in the opening.

"Ah, Alex," Jeff beamed at the young man, holding his arm out as an invitation to join them. "How are you, my boy?"

"Uh, fine," Alex nodded. "Fine. You, uh, sent for me?"

"Yes, I did," Jeff indicated the chair. "Take a seat."

Alex sat in the chair that was indicated and looked from Jeff, to Kyle and back to Jeff again.

"Alex," Jeff took a breath. "As you are the son of an old friend of mine, and you did say to call if you could be of assistance... Well, I was wondering if you might be able to do Kyle and myself here a small favor?"

"Oh," Alex raised his eyebrows. "What would you like me to do?"

Jeff and Kyle exchanged glances.

"Now, you may or may not be aware of this, but it's no real secret that I have high hopes that Liz and Kyle here... will one day marry and run my business empire for me."

"I see," Alex nodded, covertly sizing Kyle up. "And where do I fit in?"

"I'd like you to help transfer Liz's feeling that she held for Max, to Kyle."

Alex looked at Kyle again and then back to Jeff.

"And how can I do that?" his mind was whirling.

"Tell her about Max," Jeff shrugged. "You know him better than anyone. I want you to tell her all the bad things that she won't know about him. Things that will make her realize that she had a narrow escape. Make it up if you have to. Make him out to be some kind of two timing lothario or something."

"I don't think I can do that," Alex shook his head, his eyes calculating. "He is still my friend."

"I know," Jeff held up his hand, "I know. But where's the harm? It's not like she's ever going to see him again, anyway. Better she forgets him now with a clean break rather than living on with some kind of false hope. And while you are... running Max down, I'd like you to... uh, run Kyle up, so to speak."

"Run him up?" Alex frowned.

"Sure, tell Liz what a great guy I am," Kyle added. "How a girl would be lucky to have me, that sort of thing."

"I see," Alex nodded. "But how do I do that? I mean, it's not like I move in her social circle any more. I haven't even seen her since..."

"Leave it to me," Jeff smirked. "I'll make sure you spend plenty of time with Liz, and you can take the opportunity to diss Max, and build Kyle up."

"Well," Alex was inwardly licking his lips. "If you're sure Max will never hear of this..." He gave an evil smile. "Where's that harm?"

Set, Alex Whitman.

Last edited by WR on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 12 01-09 pg 3

Post by WR »

begonia9508 wrote:Hey Wayne, too busy?
Sorry. Too ill! :(

I have been really rough this past month, my 'cold' developing into a chest infection, followed by pleurisy(sp?)

I thought I was over it last week but the damn thing is still sticking around. A thousand apologies.

ON a good note, though. I have only to finish the last chapter and write a prologue and this story is done. :) So you don't have to worry about me leaving you in limbo.

Thank you to everyone who has left feedback, comments, best wishes and bumps. Welcome to all the new readers and Hello to all the original :)

On with the story...

Chapter 13

When you're in love with a beautiful woman
It's hard
You know it's hard
Everybody wants her
Everybody loves her
Everybody wants to take your baby home

You watch your friends
It never ends
You know that it's crazy
You want to trust her
Then somebody hangs up when you answer the phone
You go it alone

Maybe it's just an ego problem
Problem is I've been fooled before
By fair-weather friends and faint-hearted lovers
And every time it happens
It just convinces me more

You watch her eyes
You look for lies
Everybody tempts her
Everybody tells her
She's the most beautiful woman they know

You go it alone
You watch your friends
It never ends
When your in love with a beautiful woman
You watch her eyes
You keep looking for lies

When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman by Dr. Hook

It had been two days since Max had left the Milan Heights Country Club. Two days which had been among the most boring of Michael's life. Without Max at the sailing club, few people bothered to come by. Few people meant that there was little in the way of business and Michael found himself just sitting at a table, out in the sun, staring into space. And alone in the room, he sat on the bed. The staring remained the same, though. He wished that he had gone with Max, after all. Even Alex and Jesse had been affected, neither of them coming to the club to discuss the situation. The door to his room opened and Michael turned to see what was going on. A willowy young man with elfin-like features, wearing a baseball cap entered the room, with a large backpack. He was a head shorter than Michael, looking a little on the weak side.

"Can I help you?" Michael frowned.

"Uh, yeah," the young man nodded, sliding his pack from his back and letting it fall to the empty bed. He checked a piece of paper in his hand against the number on the door. "I guess I'm your new roomie."

"Oh," Michael nodded. "Right. New roomie."

While he would have preferred to be sharing with his friend, having someone to talk to was infinitely better than being alone.

"Just got in today," the new guy nodded. "I'm on litter detail."

"Bummer," Michael gave a faint grin.

"No, it's okay, really," the young man shook his head. "Just glad to be here. Oh, I'm uh... Sean, by the way."

"Michael," he nodded at Sean.

"Pleased to meet you," Sean looked around the room. "So is it just the two of us?"

"Yeah."

"Sorry to spoil your solitude, man."

"That's okay," Michael gave a shrug. "Until a few days ago, I had another roomie."

"Oh," Sean narrowed his eyes. "A friend?"

"My best friend," Michael nodded.

"Sorry. What happened?"

"He got fired," Michael gave a sad shake of his head.

"How come?" Sean wondered.

"Poor dude fell in love with the wrong girl," Michael flapped his arms in frustration.

"Oh?" Sean raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah," Michael smirked. "Whatever you do, do not fall for the boss's daughter."

"Got it," Sean gave a nod. "So, what's good to do around here?"

Liz was sitting at a small table for two at the expensive 'Le Foret' restaurant in Zephyr Cove. She sat alone with a miserable, far away look on her face.

"Hello, Liz," Alex appeared at her side.

"Oh, hi, Alex," she gave him a faint smile. "How are you?"

"I'm good," he nodded. "You? How are you?"

"What do you think?" her smile faded. "Have you heard anything from Max?"

"Nothing yet," he shook his head. "Sorry."

"So, uh," she looked around, expecting to see his date somewhere. "What are you doing here? Are you on date with someone?"

"You're waiting for Kyle, right?" he tilted his head.

"Yeah," her disgust was clearly evident on every word. "Dad said I had to come to dinner with him. He's threatened me with all kinds of sanctions if I didn't show."

"Yeah," Alex nodded. "Well, Kyle got held up, I'm afraid. And he asked me if I would mind keeping you company this evening. So I guess, the answer is yes. I'm on a date with someone."

"I see," her eyes narrowed. "Well, seeing as Dad's making me have dinner with Kyle and Kyle isn't going to show," she started to stand up. "I guess that let's me off the hook."

"Liz," Alex reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder. "I think it's probably best if you didn't leave. I mean, you don't really want your Dad to think you stood Kyle up, do you?"

Liz fell back into her seat, a look of trapped hopelessness on her face.

"How was your desert?" Alex looked at the untouched plate of Profitta Rolls with the rich cream topping, in front of her.

"The best I've ever tasted," Liz replied in a bland voice, her lackluster eyes fixed on the salt shaker in front of her.

"And you are probably the loveliest woman I have ever been on a date with," he smiled at her. "I wonder if you realize just how beautiful you are? You're amazing, Liz. Amazing."

The whole meal had consisted of Alex paying Liz compliments, while she sat and stared at the food he had ordered for her. There was nothing in her father's demands that said she had to enjoy her torture.

"Really," she stated, simply.

"You know, Liz," he dabbed his lips with his napkin. "You and I, we're not so different. And we have so much in common, you know?"

"Alex," she looked up at him with a gentle smile.

"Yes?" Alex's heart surged at the look she was giving him. Had it worked already?

"Shut up."

"Excuse me?" he blinked.

"Do you really think that I am so shallow that I would fall for your flattery?" Her anger started to burn, her voice rising with each word. She took a moment to compose herself. "And what about Maria?"

"Who told you about her?" Alex's eyes narrowed.

"Max did, okay?" Liz snapped.

"Well, don't that beat all," Alex shook his head with surprise. "I'm actually quite surprised that Max even mentioned her at all."

"Why is that?" Liz frowned.

"Because Max has been after Maria since... forever," he shrugged. "That's why he came up here. He couldn't stand watching Maria throw herself at me all the time. A jealousy thing, because she was the one girl in town he hadn't had, yet. Did you know that Max told me only the other day that Maria was nicer than you?"

"So..." she swallowed. "So you're not practically engaged to her?"

"Did Max tell you that?" Alex shook his head. "Not to Maria. Maria is really immature. And clingy. Needy." Alex sighed. "I'm not going to beat around the bush, here, Liz. Yes, you are beautiful, and smart, and... intelligent... and you have the loveliest manner about you. But what really attracts me to you is your... I don't know. Your 'je ne sais quoi'. You are everything I want."

"I don't think you know what you want," Liz growled.

A man in a gypsy outfit playing a violin stood nearby, playing a soft, gentle tune.

"I want you," Alex reached out his hand to place it over hers.

Liz snatched her hand away as though it had been burned.

"I want you... to have this," Alex continued, pulling out a ring, the one Maria had given him. He held it out to her. "I'd like you to take this, as a sign of my sincerity. That maybe one day, quite soon, maybe you will start to see me in a different light."

Liz kept her hands away from him.

"I should go," she stood up and promptly left the restaurant.

The violin player changed his tune to a darker, more dramatic piece.

"Merde," Alex spat.

They were a foursome again. While Max had been replaced by someone else, Sean had integrated himself in with the others seamlessly. They were sitting at a table in the club, the remains of the meal in front of them. The whole club seemed quiet, tonight. It was only the middle of the week.

"So, what's the action like around here?"

"Action?" Alex blinked.

"Yeah," Sean nodded. "Cause this place seems really dead, right now."

"Oh," Michael waved a hand. "It livens up more at weekends. And there's clubs and bars in town."

"But most of the better looking girls are already taken," Jesse looked over where the girl from the putt-putt golf stand was making out with one of the life-guards.

"Some of them came with their boyfriends," Michael nodded. "You know, couples."

"Couples?" Sean seemed surprised. "Wish I had known that, earlier."

"You got a girlfriend back home?" Jesse asked.

"I have a steady," he nodded. "Yeah. How about you guys?"

"No," Michael shook his head, looking down at the table.

"Not me," Jesse smirked.

"How about you, Alex?" Sean called to him. "Anyone special at home for you?"

"Not really," Alex shook his head with a shrug.

Michael's head snapped up.

"I, uh..." Michael rose from his chair. "I need some air."

He left the club.

"But," Alex continued, ignoring Michael's sudden, strange behavior. "There's a special someone here that I have my eye one."

"Really?" Sean raised an eyebrow. "I thought Jesse said the good ones were taken."

"Not this one," Alex shook his head with a smile. "You should see her. She's pretty, she's kind..."

"She's the owner's daughter," Jesse added.

"What?" Sean blinked. "Is this the same girl your other buddy got fired over because he fell in love with her?"

"He's only got one daughter," Jesse confirmed, his eyes burning holes in Alex.

"Didn't she have any feelings for him, then?" Sean asked.

"No," Alex shook his head.

"Well," Sean shrugged. "She doesn't seem worth it to me if she's gotten over him already."

"Nah," Alex smirked. "They just weren't suited at all. And she was way out of his league."

"And she's in yours?" Jesse raised an eyebrow.

"Sure," Alex returned Jesse's glare. "And why not? It's not like I'm not rich. We go to the same college, we study the same majors. Our fathers are old friends... We have a lot more going for us than she had with Max."

"You have no idea what she had with Max," Jesse's voice was almost a growl.

"Well, if you ask me," Sean was thoughtful, "she sounds like a b..."

"You know what?" Alex snapped, throwing Sean a menacing glare. "Don't even finish that sentence."

"What about Maria," Jesse demanded.

"What about her?" Alex shrugged. "She knew it wasn't anything serious. That is was just a summer thing."

"So you broke up with her?" Sean asked in a strange voice. "How did she take it?"

"I haven't really spoken to her," Alex reached back and stretched. "But she knew the score."

"Oh, is that the time?" Sean looked at his watch. "I'm on the early shift tomorrow. I need to get back. Later, dudes."

Sean almost ran away.

"He's weird," Alex shook his head as he watched the young man go. "Notice how he never takes off his baseball cap? I reckon he might be gay. Michael better watch his back."

Before anyone could reply, however, Liz entered the club and walked forcefully over to their table. Spotting her approach, Alex sat upright, his face breaking out in a huge smile.

"Liz," he beamed. "How lovely to see you. Join us."

He indicated the chair that Sean had left.

"Are you likely to talk to Max anytime soon?" she demanded, ignoring his invitation.

"Uh, no, not really," Alex shook his head. "Not until we go home, and maybe not even then. Why?"

"Because we never had the chance to exchange addresses, or phone numbers or anything," Liz shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. "I didn't even get to say goodbye."

"Oh, god," Alex looked a little awkward. "I don't know how to tell you this, Liz. Max always does this. He, uh, he never gives the girls his address, or his phone number. Uh, Max is not big in keeping in touch.

"Oh," her voice was low.

Tears were starting to form on her eyelids.

"But I'll tell you what," Alex continued. "You give me your details, your phone number, your address in San Francisco and maybe your IM address, and I'll see that Max gets them. I mean, it can't hurt to try, right?"

"Okay," Liz nodded as she started to write down her information on a piece of paper. "Here are my contact details. My address at Berkeley, my cell phone number and my email address."

"Sorry," no one noticed that Sean had returned. "Forgot my key."

Sean reached over the table and picked up the key he had left.

"Oh," Alex continued. "And maybe you could let me have a picture. Maybe you could write a personal message or something."

"I have a photo in my room," Liz nodded. "I'll give it to you, tomorrow."

Alex gave a big smile as he watched her leave.

Last edited by WR on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 13 01-30 pg 5

Post by WR »

Chapter 14

I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her too
I love her

She gives me everything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

And I Love Her by Lennon and McCartney

The small, cramped room into which Max stepped was a far cry from the room he had shared with Michael at Milan Heights. Rustic, would be a polite way of referring to it. Squalid was more accurate. Bare wooden walls, bare wooden floors and a view straight up to the roof. A single window filled with grubby panes of glass was his only natural light source. A single bulb hung from the rafters, the wires tacked to the rafters and walls showing that electricity had been an afterthought. Built on the end of the dormitories used by the boys, Max's room was never supposed to be one of luxury. It was a place to sleep and nothing more. He had a wooden bed, a chest of drawers and pegs along the wall. It was... utilitarian.

"Home, sweet home," Max dropped his damp bag on top of the drawers.

As he took each item from his bag, Max checked to make sure that it had not got damp. The clothes that were dry, he folded up and placed in the drawers, or he hung in his pegs. Anything that was damp, he hung over a line that had been suspended from one wall to another, dissecting the room like a curtain. He placed his personal possessions, few though they were, in the bottom drawer, under his boxers.

Doug had told him that he could take until after lunch to settle in and get his bearings, but had asked if he would be able to supervise a game of flag football that afternoon, giving some of his other staff a much needed break.

"Sure," Max had nodded. "Uh, just how big are these disadvantaged kids?"

His unpacking done, Max then changed his clothes, using a towel to dry himself off. His wet clothing, he hung over the line and made a mental note to ask Doug if there were any dryers available anywhere. Still, if the sun came out tomorrow, his things would quickly dry. And then he remembered that he would again be getting wet, and probably muddy, later that day.

"Better check on washing machines, too," Max stared at his damp jeans.

He looked around the room and then checked his watch.

"Right," he nodded with satisfaction. "First things first. Text Alex and let him know what's happening, that I found a new job here at Camp Sequoia. Then, Liz. Call Liz and let her know I'm just down the road." He started to smile. Then the smile faded. "Oh, god. I hope she hasn't forgotten me or anything."

He reached for his phone. Except that it wasn't there.

"Damn," he started to root through his bag, checking the pockets and pouches. Then he checked his jeans pockets.

After that, he emptied his drawers and the wardrobe, checking each article of clothing, one by one. There was no sign of his phone.

"Double Damn."

His call would have to wait until he could buy a new one.

"Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!" he started to fret. "What if Liz thinks I've forgotten her?"

Camp Sequoia was nothing like Max had encountered before. The dormitories that the kids - although that term was a misnomer because they varied in age from 12 to 16 and some of them looked like they were in their late twenties - shared were every bit as Spartan as Max's room.

The camp was mixed, co-ed. Doug had gathered a group of young adults to help supervise the group and make sure that rules were adhered to, especially the no 'fraternizing' rule. Disadvantaged they might be but there was no need to go home with their futures ruined even further. The whole point was to give the kids some structured fun and shown that there is more to life beyond their inner cities and all they had to do was reach for it. In fact, one of Max's duties would be to take his turn at night patrol, checking to make sure that the boys were in their own beds and were not breaking curfew. One of the ladies would check on the girls.

Everyone dined together in the main hall, on long trestle tables, sharing the same food which was prepared by a group of the kids who's turn it was for kitchen duties. Everything was run on a share and share alike system. Everybody had to pitch in and do their share, even the members of staff. Jack of all trades had been a very accurate term. In his first three days, Max had cooked, cleaned, taught a little sailing, supervised some swimming, refereed football games, umpired a baseball game, shot hoops with a group of the guys and had broken up three fights; not to mention the embarrassing moment when he had to separate two of the older teens from a rather compromising position that could not be described as anything other than 'intimate'. And he was loving every second of it.

True, he was earning less in a week than he had been earning in a day at Milan Heights, but the satisfaction he gained from working with the kids could not even be measured. Max was in heaven. Almost.

He was missing Liz.

At night, when he was alone with his thoughts, he would think of her. At lunch, as he ate his soup, he would remember her eating her Linguini Primavera that night. When he had to teach a young girl to sail, he couldn't help remembering his lessons he gave to Liz. And every time he heard "Ode to Joy" which seemed to be Doug's favorite piece of music and was constantly whistling it, he couldn't help remembering that date at the cinema. At last, however, on the fourth day since his departure from Milan Heights, Max had found himself a free morning and had dashed into Zephyr Cove, to the nearest phone store.

Armed with the cheapest phone they had, and ten bucks worth of pre-paid minutes, he started to type out his first message. Except that he could not remember Alex's number. Or Liz's. Why try to remember numbers when you have them stored in your Sim card, he reasoned?

"In case you lose your phone, you moron," he berated himself.

And then it came to him. He knew Michael's number by heart.

"Michael," he typed out with his thumbs. "Have lost my phone, just bought new one. Have new job just down road at Camp Sequoia. Can you let guys know? Maybe we can get together in Z C? How is Liz? Please pass her my new number. Please, please tell her I miss her and..."

Max paused. He hesitated to type something so personal, admitting something so profound. But then, this was Michael, and Michael was a friend. A good friend. In many ways, a better friend than even Alex. Yes, Michael had been there for him on any number of occasions, and hadn't it been Michael to whom he turned when he decided he wanted to get a job for the summer? He could tell Michael, anything.

"...and I love her."

Dressed in her tennis clothes, Liz stood poised at the base line, rocking on the souls of her feet as she swayed to and fro. Her racquet held ready, her eyes were fixed on the opposite side of the court, waiting for the bright yellow ball to come zipping her way. Her face was covered in a sheen of perspiration, and she was breathing hard. Liz had been out here all morning. At last, the ball dropped from the basket and was at once grabbed by the spinning wheels and hurled toward Liz, almost as fast and accurately as a human player could. It wasn't the sort of return that Liz might have ordinarily made, had she been playing for real. Liz hit the ball with all of her might and sent it racing at the machine, missing it by inches, the ball embedding itself, along with a dozen others, into the link fence behind. There had been no attempt to place the ball inside the white lines. She wasn't so much practicing, as venting.

"Hi, Liz," a voice called from behind.

Reaching into her pocket, Liz pulled out a small remote control handset. She aimed at the machine and the engine started to whine to a stop. Liz turned to face her visitor, surprised to find Sean leaning against the fence.

"Hello, uh, Sean," she replied, her wariness clearly evident.

"Working out?" Sean nodded at the tennis balls that littered the other side of the court.

"Just a little," Liz nodded, her eyes still narrowed with suspicion.

"I've never played," Sean shook his head. "I wouldn't know a tennis racquet from a... a," he shrugged. "Whatever."

"Oh," Liz wiped her hands against her skirt. "Uh, was there something you wanted?"

She was expecting to be hit on.

"No, no," Sean shook his head. He sounded a little bit down, like Liz felt. "I was just picking litter, you know, and I saw you here and thought I'd say, hi."

"Well, hi," Liz gave a little shrug and started to turn to the tennis practice.

"So, you and Alex, huh?" Sean finally spoke his mind.

"Excuse me?" Liz turned quickly and started to march for the fence. There was a fire in her eyes.

"So, what do you think of Alex?" If he noticed it, Sean ignored Liz's open hostility. "I mean, really?"

"I'm sure he's a nice person," Liz's eyes narrowed. Her tone was one of wariness.

She was wondering if Alex might have recruited Sean to help him... what? Seduce her? Because that had as much chance of succeeding as Max had of beating her at tennis.

"Why do you ask that?" Liz continued.

"Aren't you two an item?" Sean raised his eyebrows. "I mean, I saw you give him your phone number and your address. And you said you would give him a picture of you. It's just, Michael said you were having a fling with his other friend."

"Uh, Sean," Liz's eyes darkened. "Not that it's any of your business, I was giving Alex my details, and my photo to pass on to Max when he next sees him."

"So you don't want Alex?" Sean frowned.

"No," Liz shook her head, unable to hold her tears of anger and frustration at bay any longer. "I do not! I want Max!"

"Oh," Sean looked a little uncomfortable as he looked around; hoping no one was witnessing this.

"So, uh..." Liz managed to gain control of her emotions. "Why are you so interested in Alex? Do you, uhm, know him or something?"

"I know 'of' him," Sean shrugged. "Same as I know of the other's really."

"How's that?" Liz frowned. "I thought they didn't know you."

"My cousin," Sean shrugged. "Maria. She lives in Sacramento, too."

"Maria," Liz nodded. "Max told me about her. He said that she was a really nice person. Loyal, I think he said."

"Max said that?" Sean looked surprised.

"Yeah," Liz nodded. "And Alex told me that Max was after her, if you know what I mean. That Max didn't like it because Maria kept throwing herself at Alex, but Alex wouldn't have anything to do with her because she was too... clingy. Needy."

"Did he?" Sean's voice was cold. "Well, I'm under the impression that Maria was dating Alex; that things had gotten so serious that she had given him my... our grandmother's ring as a kind of promise ring, so he could propose to her with it."

"Oh," Liz gave a sad roll of her eyes. "He implied that she meant nothing to him. Is... is Max seeing her, too? Does he chase after her?"

"Max and Maria?" Sean started to laugh. "Please. Don't get me wrong. Maria thinks Max is a great guy. She likes him. But as a boyfriend? Nuh uh. And I know for a fact that Max does not see Maria as anything more than a good friend. That's all. In fact, if there's one girl on this whole planet that you could put Max in bed with and trust them both to behave, it's Maria."

"Then why is Alex..." her eyes widened in horror. "Oh, god! Sean! Alex tried to give me a ring, the other night. He said he wanted me to have it as a sign of his sincerity. That he hoped I would see him in a different light. I sure as heck do, now. God, I hope it wasn't Maria's."

"Antique looking?" Sean asked. "Solitaire diamond?"

"Yeah," Liz nodded. "That's the one. If you see her, Sean, tell Maria that she's better off without him."

"Well, maybe," Sean gave a disconsolate shrug, "Maria likes Alex as much as you like Max." Sean look at her intently. "You do like Max, right?"

Liz gave a faraway look as a faint smile came to her face.

"Do you believe in love at first sight, Sean?" she asked.

"I think so," Sean nodded. "I mean, Maria knew Alex for a long time before they got together, but yeah... I think so."

"The very first time I saw him..." Liz's smile grew. "But I knew that Daddy wouldn't approve and I so didn't want him to lose his job because I kind of liked him. But he seemed to have spotted me, too, because the next thing I knew, he was asking me out on a date. I said no, of course, even though my heart and soul was screaming 'yes', and eventually, he wore me down."

"Bet you didn't need too much wearing," Sean smiled.

"Okay, I didn't resist too hard or for too long, so sue me," Liz's smile was electric. "First time he spoke to me, was in the club. He came up and asked if I came here often. I mean, come on? What kind of line is that? Why couldn't he have just asked me to dance?"

"I'll tell you what kind of line it was," Sean grinned. "That was the Max Evans inexperience coming through. I mean, Liz? You can count on one hand the number of dates Max has ever gone on. And most of those were set up by his buddies."

"Oh," Liz gave a smile of delight. Then her smile faded. "Only now, I'll never see him again. Will I? And he's forgotten all about me. I mean, why hasn't he tried to leave a message with his friends for me? Surely, he'd have sent a message to Alex."

"Well," Sean gave a mysterious grin. "Under the circumstances, I think it best to pretty much assume that Alex is no friend to Max anymore. In fact, I think it's pretty clear that Michael is Max's best friend right now." Sean seemed to hesitate for a moment, as if in thought. "In fact... Michael's been pretty amazing. And I just happen to know that Michael received a text from Max just last night."

"He did?" Liz looked hopeful. "What did he say? Is he all right? Why didn't Michael let me know?"

"Because you didn't come to the club last night," Sean rolled his eyes, "and Michael can't exactly go looking for you in case your Dad thinks... anyway... Max said how he lost his phone, which Michael already knew 'cause he found it under the bed after he left. So Max bought himself a new one. Anyway, he asked how you were and he told Michael to tell you... Actually, I don't know if I should tell you this. I'm not supposed to know, but I sneaked a look when Michael was in the john."

"What, what?" Liz was clinging to the fence. "Sean, what did he say?"

"That he loved you," Sean was grinning.

"Really?" a smile of peace crept over her. "He really said that?"

"He really said that," Sean nodded. "Oh, and you might like to know that he's found a new job."

"Already?" Liz looked up. "Oh, that's great. 'Cause Max needs that money for his education. Did he get his old job in Sacramento back?"

"Not really," Sean shook his head. "He's working at Camp Sequoia."

Liz blinked. Her mouth opened and closed. She blinked some more.

"At Camp Sequoia?" she queried, making sure she heard right.

"Yep," Sean nodded. "And I can get you his number, if you want."

"Oh, Sean," Liz treated him to the full force of her smile. "Would you? Wait, no! You know what? I think I'll go and get it myself. It's only an hour and a half walk away."

"Wow," it was Sean's turn to blink. "You must really like Max a lot."

"No, Sean," Liz shook her head. "I don't like Max. I love him."

Last edited by WR on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 14 02-13 pg 8

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Interviews are going well, and with just one more to go, I remain hopeful that my daughter will get in. But, with an application ratio of 13:1, it's going to be tough.

I believe in her, even if she is in a "glass half empty" mood.

Thank you all so much for your feedback, and I am sorry that I am little late with my post this week. But, better late than never and here it is.

You're going to love this part :) I hope. :wink:

Chapter 15

You fill up my senses
like a night in the forest
like the mountains in springtime,
like a walk in the rain
like a storm in the desert,
like a sleepy blue ocean
you fill up my senses,
come fill me again.

Come let me love you,
let me give my life to you
let me drown in your laughter,
let me die in your arms
let me lay down beside you,
let me always be with you
come let me love you,
come love me again.

You fill up my senses
like a night in the forest
like the mountains in springtime,
like a walk in the rain
like a storm in the desert,
like a sleepy blue ocean
you fill up my senses,
come fill me again.

Annies Song by John Denver

"Okay, everyone," Max called from the wooden jetty that had seen better days. "Let's get you back in, one by one, and get these boats moored."

Unlike at the country club, Max's time was best spent teaching more than one person at a time. That meant he had to shout instructions from the jetty, after having given them the theory in a boat pulled up on the beach, with everyone crowded around him, watching and listening. It was working, however, and most of them could actually make the boat move the direction they wanted. Everyone was having fun, though, which was, as Max had said, what this was all about.

The teenagers were buzzing with excitement as Max helped them from the cockpit, and assisted them in mooring their boat. One by one, he made them strike the sails, and secure the tillers and their life jackets in a lock up chest at the end of the jetty.

"Okay," Max nodded at the last of them, a young girl, stepped up onto the jetty. "Leave this one, I'll do it. Join the others and go grab lunch."

"Thanks, Max," the young girl grinned and hurried to join her departing friends.

Max knelt on one knee and started to tie off the mooring line, coiling the spare rope.

"Hey there, sailor," a soft voice giggled behind him. "Do you come here often?"

Max turned, rising at the same time in one graceful, fluid movement. He stared at Liz, scarcely believing her to be there.

"Liz?" Max gaped. "Is that really you?"

"We haven't seen each other in four days," Liz arched an eyebrow, "and that's all you can say to me?"

"Oh," Max's face fell. "Liz? Are you mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad at you?" Liz frowned.

"I'm so sorry, Liz," Max started. "I wanted to say goodbye."

"I know," Liz nodded.

"But your dad wouldn't let me."

"I know."

"And I wanted to call you, really I did, but I lost my phone.

"I know." Liz shook her head, stepping toward him.

"And I bought a new one just as soon as I could."

"I know," she giggled, still moving.

Was he even listening to her?

"And I didn't know your number and I sent a text to Michael."

Liz took Max's face in between her hands. Standing up on tiptoes and pulling him down to her at the same time, Liz silenced him with a slow and sensuous, but very hot kiss.

"Max, I know," she murmured, looking deeply into his eyes, allowing her love for him to shine through.

"God, Liz," he pulled her into a tight hug. "I missed you."

"You hungry?" Max asked, breaking away from their tight embrace.

He wondered how long he had been standing on the end of that jetty, in plain view of anyone who passed by, kissing her senseless.

"Yeah," Liz nodded. "But it can wait till I've had something to eat."

Max blinked for a moment before he started to smile.

"Well," he took her hand and started leading her toward the dining hut. "It's nothing like you're used to, but like the man said, you can eat it."

As they passed the parking lot, where a few of the employee's cars were parked, Max noticed something and frowned.

"Liz?" he kept looking around. "Where did you park you car?"

"Oh, I didn't bring it," Liz shrugged.

"You walked?" Max gasped. "Why didn't you drive?"

"Because Daddy took my wheels away," Liz rolled her eyes. "He does own them, after all. He says I can only have them back when I come to my senses. Which, in his language means when I do what he tells me to."

"But..."

"Besides, Max," she looked up at him. "It's no big deal, and I don't want anything from anyone if there are strings attached."

"But that's a long walk," Max shook his head.

"And worth every step," Liz chuckled.

"Oh, well," Max paused at the door to the dining hut. "You better get ready for this. They're kids, remember. And I think we might become the center of attention."

"You're my lucky talisman," Max smirked as they lay back on the large hammock together. "I should have been helping in the kitchen but Doug told me to keep you company."

"And after that," Liz looked up at him. "What would you be doing this afternoon? More sailing?"

"No," Max shook his head. "I only give sailing lesson in the morning. This afternoon, I get to supervise the tug-of-war competition. And I think we have a nature walk later on. Of course, I don't know much about the nature around these parts. Not much of a flora and fauna person."

"Well, then," Liz smiled, her voice taking a haughty attitude. "It's lucky you have me with you. Because I happen to know all about the flora and fauna about these parts."

"Well, la-di-dah," Max chuckled, pulling her tighter to him and putting his lips closer to hers. "You know what? I'm more interested in these parts."

"Shut up," Liz whispered hoarsely. "And kiss me."

Liz led Max and those of the teenagers who were interested in learning about their surroundings into a small clearing in the woods. With Max's help, Liz climbed up onto a large boulder that lay at one side of the clearing, making a natural platform.

"As you know," she called for their attention, "Lake Tahoe and Camp Sequoia are in the Yosemite National Park. Yosemite's wide range of elevations, from its semi-arid foothills to its snowcapped mountains, has produced a habitat distribution that nurtures thirty seven types of native trees, over a thousand species of wildflowers, eighty five species of mammals, over one hundred and fifty species of birds and thirty three varieties of reptiles and amphibians."

Max blinked and looked up at her. Was she making this up?

"The California black oak, over there," she pointed, "is a large deciduous tree with yellow-green leaves and a dark trunk that is commonly found in Yosemite Valley. The tree produces acorns that the Miwok people pound into nutritious flour.

"Ponderosa pine is easily identified by its puzzle-like bark, which has a pattern of irregularly-shaped plates separated by dark furrows. See over there? The mature tree is very wide at the base and its lowest branches are especially high off the ground.

"There isn't one here, but we might find one later, but the Incense-cedar is often confused with the giant sequoia because it has feathery, reddish bark. The Incense-cedar grows abundantly throughout the Sierra Nevada below 7,000 feet, while sequoias grow only in a limited number of groves. Uh, there are no Sequoia's anywhere near your camp. Sorry.

"The giant sequoia is the most massive living thing on earth. There are three groves that are located in the park: the Mariposa Grove, near South Entrance on Wawona Road; the Tuolumne Grove, near Crane Flat off the Tioga Road; and the Merced Grove, off the Big Oak Flat Road between Crane Flat and the Big Oak Flat Entrance. The giant sequoia is believed to live up to 3,000 years. Maybe if we ask him nicely, Doug will let Max take you to one of the groves to see them.

Liz hopped off the rock and into Max's arms. Reluctantly, and only because of his young audience, Max lowered her to the ground.

"Through here," Liz pointed to a sun dappled glade, "we can find some wild flowers."

The group followed Liz, captivated by her words.

"Mariposa is the Spanish word for butterfly. The Mariposa lily is said to resemble this beautiful winged creature."

Everyone looked at the lilies, all of them nodding at the description.

"The Sierra tiger lily has spots on its petals that dangle down, like a bell, from the top of the stem. Both species of bulbs were once an important part of the diet of the Native Americans."

Everyone made the sounds of being impressed.

"The mule ears is a striking yellow flower that has a large blossom resembling a sunflower, look. The flower's huge leaves, which grow to between eight and 16 inches long, give the flower its name."

"Are there any dangerous animals out here?" a girl called.

"Sure there are," Liz nodded. "You've probably already seen some bears. They come down and scavenge through the garbage. They've learned that inside cartons, paper bags and even tin cans, they can find food. Every year, dozens of cars get damaged by bears trying to rip their way in, thinking there might be food inside. You can find cougars Yosemite too, but they tend to stay away from the human population. Then there's the coyote, a silver-gray member of the canine family seen year-round. At night you may hear it singing in a chorus of howls, barks and yodels. The coyote primarily preys on field mice and ground squirrels, although it has learned to beg from people. Only don't try to feed them, because human food is harmful to them and they may bite you. And conditioning coyotes to seek food from people makes them vulnerable to being hit by passing cars.

"Often seen grazing in or near meadows, the naturally timid mule deer has grown accustomed to seeing people."

"Mule deer?" one of the larger boys sneered. "Dangerous? Oh, please."

"Well," Liz gave a gentle smile. "Did you know that there are more attacks on humans by deer than by bears. Surprised? Although it appears to be tame, and may even approach you, the California mule deer is a wild animal and may charge if it feels cornered or threatened. Its hooves and antlers are sharp! Always leave it a wide area to walk away, and, as with all other animals in the park, never tempt it with food or approach it at close range.

"On the subject of non-dangerous animals, the western gray squirrel is one of many types of tree and ground squirrels found in the park. It's known for its impressive, bushy gray tail. During mating season, squirrels become excitable, chasing one another, fighting and making noise."

Some of the younger kids snickered.

"And then, there's the bats. The bat is the only flying mammal in existence. Recent acoustic surveys by scientists indicate that at least 15 bat species can be found in Yosemite, including the rare spotted bat. The spotted bat is named for three distinctive white spots on its black back. It also has the largest ears of any bat in North America. Most bats eat insects, which they hunt at night. A single bat may eat up to 600 insects in one hour! Bats find food by echolocation, an utterance of a series of high-pitched squeaks that bounce off objects such as insects. Species such as the spotted bat emit a squeak when they feed so you can sometimes hear them at night.

"Unfortunately, bat populations have decreased dramatically in the last 25 years due to pesticides, habitat loss and human disturbance of caves. Yosemite contains one of the last remaining spotted bat populations in California.

"Steller's jay is a comic, bright-blue bird with a pointed gray-black crest. The distinctive caw-like screech of the Steller's jay is often an alert to others that food has been found.

"The population of golden eagles is doing well in the park. This raptor is occasionally seen in Yosemite Valley, but is more common at higher elevations. Look for a very large, dark brown bird that holds its broad wings in a shallow V-shape when soaring. Young eagles have white areas on their wings and tail.

"Yosemite is also home to the great gray owl, an endangered bird in California. Monitoring continues to document the status, distribution, numbers, habits and health of the park population of this large, noble bird. In some areas of the park you may hear its distinctive, deeply-toned hoot."

She noticed Max staring at her in awe.

"What?" she narrowed her eyes.

"Nothing," he shook his head. "How do you know all this stuff?"

"That's easy," she started to snicker. "I guess you could say that I come here, often."

"I'll ask Doug for the truck," Max caressed Liz's back.

The sun was setting and it was time for her to return home. It would be dark, soon, and Max was not going to let Liz even think of walking home alone. And Liz did not want him walking her home and then facing 'his' return trip alone.

"I don't want to go home, yet," Liz snuggled deeper into Max's chest. "In fact, how about I stay here? With you."

"Some example I would be providing these kids," Max snorted. "As much as I want you here with me, it would only make your Dad more angry at me than he already is."

"Why do you have to be so sensible?" Liz pouted.

"You have no idea how painful being sensible is, Liz," Max sighed.

"Huh," Liz huffed. "Try me."

"Here's my number," Liz wrote a number on a piece of paper. "This is my address at college, and here is my IM account."

Max had parked a dozen meters from the Country Club main gates.

"You're going to come again, aren't you?" Max stared at the slip of paper.

"Of course," Liz nodded. "This is just in case we forget... or something."

"Okay," Max nodded, taking another sheet of paper for himself. "And this is mine... Although, Liz? Please only try my home address in an emergency, okay?"

"See you tomorrow, Max," Liz leaned over to kiss him.

"You have another day off?" Max's eyes widened.

"You could say that," she smiled. "Yes, indeed."

Last edited by WR on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 15 02-22 pg 9

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your comments and feedback. It seems that I have somehow slipped from updating on a Friday to a Sunday. I'm sorry about that but right now, it's the only day I have enough time. :)

Anyway, let's get this part posted!

Take care, everyone!

Chapter 16

When your day is long
And the night
The night is yours alone
When you're sure you've had enough of this life
Well hang on

Don't let yourself go
Cause everybody cries
And everybody hurts
Sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong
Now it's time to sing along
(When your day is night alone)
Hold on, hold on
(If you feel like letting go)
Hold on
If you think you've had too much of this life
Well hang on

Cause everybody hurts
Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts

Don't throw your hand
Oh, no
Don't throw your hand
When you feel like you're alone
No, no, no, you're not alone

If you're on your own
In this life
The days and nights are long
When you think you've had too much
Of this life
To hang on

Well, everybody hurts
Sometimes, everybody cries
And everybody hurts
Sometimes

And everybody hurts
Sometimes

So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
(Everybody hurts
You are not alone)

Everybody Hurts by REM

"Which club, sir," Alex stared at the overweight man's outstretched hand, waiting for Alex to hand him a golf club.

"Whatever one you think is best," the man shrugged at Alex before turning to his playing partner, another equally overweight man. "Sure. I told him to double the amount of stock he bought but you know Harry. Said he didn't think I knew what I was talking about. So when it shot up another ten points, I sold out and cleaned up. Poor sap waited too long and didn't make as much."

Alex withdrew a five-iron and placed it into the man's hand. The golfer then stood in front of the ball, swung back and then forward, topping the ball and sending it skimming along the fairway for about fifty yards.

"Good shot, Al," the other man nodded. He turned to Jesse. "Gimme the same club."

Al's friend fared a little better in that he actually lifted the ball into the air and although it flew twice as far, he had hooked it into the rough, falling amid some bushes.

"Can't see the point in this game, myself," Al was clearly less then impressed. "But the doctor says I gotta exercise and it was either this or one of them bicycle machine things."

"Assholes," Alex spat as he replaced the five-iron and followed the two men down the fairway.

"Just hand them whatever club, Alex," Jesse hurried to catch up. "I don't think either of them know or care what club to use."

"We're going to be out here all day and I bet they hardly give us a tip at all." Alex glared at them. "I was hoping to catch Liz at the tennis courts. I don't like the way that Sean creep has been hanging around her, lately. They seem as thick as thieves. At least he's not talking to me, asking me all those stupid questions about Maria."

"They're not dating," Jesse shook his head. "I heard them talking about Max the other evening. Speaking of which," Jesse pulled out a seven-iron, ready to hand to his player. "How's the seduction going? It's been over a week since Max was fired and it's only a few days till the Ball."

"It's kind of awkward," Alex frowned. "I have to pretend to Jeff that I'm setting Kyle up for her, when in reality, I'm trashing him as much as I'm trashing Max."

"And you think it's working?" Jesse raised his eyebrows.

"Sure it is," Alex nodded. "Haven't you noticed how much she's been smiling these last few evenings? She is so warming up to me. I have every confidence that at the ball, I am going to be Prince Charming."

"Have you noticed how you don't see her around much, during the day?" Jesse gave a soft snort. "You never see her at the tennis courts any more, do you."

"Now that you mention it," Alex frowned. "You're right. I haven't. Doesn't she do tennis lessons any more?"

"Nope," Jesse shook his head. "In fact, I heard she doesn't even work for the club any more. She quit."

"She quit?" Alex stopped and stared at Jesse. "How come?"

"Because of what her father did to Max," Jesse shrugged. "And that's not all I heard."

"Oh?"

"I hear that she walks over to Camp Sequoia, up the lake, every day. Doesn't get back till after six."

"Why the freaking heck would she walk all the way over to that dump, for?"

"Well, according to Michael," Jesse shrugged. "That's where Max works now."

"That bastard!" Alex spat. He stopped and thought for a moment and then started to grin "You know, drastic times call for drastic measures."

"Alex," Jesse warned. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to give this lard ass a nine iron," Alex approached his player who was waiting with his hand outstretched for a golf club.

Even though Zephyr Cove was only a small little town, it still had its undesirable areas. And in one such area, on a vacant lot beside a small convenience store that had metal grates instead of windows, three rather large young teenagers were playing what looked like basketball. A basketball hoop 'borrowed' from the local high school had been bolted to the brick wall. They did not seem to use the normal rules, however, but had utilized some moves from a football field. The game was very energetic and very violent.

They didn't seem to pay much attention to anyone passing by, with the exception of the attractive young women at whom they wolf whistled and cat called. When the young woman flipped them off, they would start to laugh and return to their game. Even among the mayhem, they noticed the smartly dressed and out of place young man that was approaching them. They ignored him until he was starting to invade their personal space... which began at the edge of the lot. The threesome were all a lot larger than he. As a trio, they put up an intimidating wall.

"How would you guys like to earn an easy fifty bucks?" the young man simply asked.

The three young men stopped their game and allowed the ball to drop. They exchanged looks at one another before the larger of the trio spoke.

"Make it a hundred each and we'll let you talk."

"Okay," the smart young man nodded. "One hundred. Fifty now, fifty when the job is done."

"Deal," they grinned. "Who we gotta kill?"

Max was whistling as he fastened the sails to the flotilla of small boats, preparing them for the teenager's lessons today. He looked up when he saw them approaching him, their faces showing how much they were looking forward to this.

"Okay, people," Max indicated the opened chest. "Grab a vest and wait at the end of the jetty.

One by one, the teenagers passed him, each one trying to fasten their life jackets the way Max had shown them. One by one, they reached the end of the jetty and stood next to a moored boat, ready for Max to tell them to climb aboard.

As Max handed the last student the last life jacket, he saw Doug approaching the group with Aaron, one of the more rebellious of the campers. Max hoped he was not going to make him replace someone with Aaron.

"Hey, Doug," Max nodded with a touch of wariness. "What's up?"

"Max," Doug nodded, an air of unease and indecision around him. "Uh, we have ourselves a situation." Doug nodded with his head; the universal sign for 'follow me so we can talk a little more privately'.

Max stepped beside Doug and the two of them started to walk away from the gang while the would-be sailors speculated as to what was going down.

"What's going on, Doug?" Max looked back at Aaron, standing a little uncomfortably to one side.

"I caught Aaron last night," Doug indicated the older boy, "trying to sneak back into camp. Well after midnight."

"Oh," Max gave a nod of sad understanding.

"Not only had he broken curfew, 'and' left the camp, unsupervised, but he had been drinking, Max."

"Oh," Max repeated.

Aaron's adventure at Camp Sequoia was over. He would be sent home.

"I was just making arrangements for him to get home when he says to me, that before I sent him home, he'd like to talk to you first. Alone."

"Does he think I can get him a reprieve or something?" Max frowned. "I mean, he's not a bad kid at heart, but he knew the rules and no one forced him to break them."

"I pretty much said the same thing," Doug nodded. "He said not a reprieve, but maybe, just maybe, he could do something for you and then you might do something for him. He wouldn't say anything else."

"All right," Max nodded, exhaling heavily. "Send him over. I'll talk to him over here."

"Okay, Aaron." Max tried to hide his disappointment in the young boy. "So what was all that about? Breaking curfew, drinking..."

"I could stand here all day, Max," the boy shrugged, "and no amount of apologizin' is gonna fix what I did. I like you, Max. You're straight up. You don't treat us like we's nothing and you don't treat us like no charity case. I like how you make me feel, like I'm someone, you know what I'm sayin'?"

"Yeah," Max nodded. "We come from similar backgrounds, you and me."

"So I'm kinda ashamed that I damaged my rep wit' yous, that I snuck out and headed into town, but I's glad I did it."

"Oh?" Max raised an eyebrow and frowned.

"Yeah," Aaron nodded. "See, whiles I was there, I went into this pool hall. Yeah, yeah, I know they can be rough places but hey, s'where I grew up, man. Back home, I always go into them. Anyway, I'm just shootin' some pool, see? No hustles or nothin' 'cause I ain't got my homies to back me up, and that's jus' askin' for trouble. So I'm just shooting, makin' up this foursome with these three other dudes. And they're talking about how this city slicker dude comes up to them and offers them some action. A 'C' note apiece."

"Okay," Max nodded. "So what does this have to do with the camp? Or me?"

"Max, you knows that girl who comes over all the time?"

"Liz?" Max gave a wistful smile.

"Yeah," the teen nodded. "Her. Her old man owns the fancy club up the lake, right?"

"That's right," Max nodded, blood draining from his face. "Why?

"Them heavy dudes were paid to wait for her, Max," Aaron told him. "In the trees for when she comes walking by. And I don't think it's to keep her company on her walk over here, if you know what I mean. Max? Max? Hey, Max! What do I tell Doug?"

Max, however, heard nothing. He was already running through the trees as though the devil himself was on his heels.

"Hey, Kyle," Jeff Parker entered his office to see Kyle staring out at the camp through the large picture window.

"Do you know where she goes, every day?" Kyle nodded at Liz who was making her way along the path that led through the middle of the club.

"No, I don't," Jeff stood beside Kyle and watched his daughter. She actually had a smile on her face. He had not seen her smile since the day they... "I've been under the impression that she's been moping around at home all the time."

"I'm going to see where she goes," the undercurrent of anger in Kyle's voice was easy to detect.

The door slammed as Kyle left the office, making Jeff frown. He watched as moments later, Kyle appeared on the same path that Liz had been following. What was going on, he wondered? Liz is clearly sneaking off somewhere, and appeared to be quite happy. And did he really see sail boats out on the lake up toward Zephyr Cove? Which just happened to be the direction Liz was heading. Could Max be working at Camp Sequoia?

Jeff frowned as he rubbed his chin in thought. Was his daughter prepared to walk all that distance just to see him? He had to admit that things had been deteriorating, lately. There had been a tension at home that had never been there before. And with so many guests making complaints that Max was no longer there... How had he built up such a base of loyalty so fast? He was popular even among his peers. Had he badly misjudged him? Why had Alex been so keen to betray him like that? What could Max have had that Alex was so jealous about? With the beginnings of an understanding that made him look very, very bad, Jeff hurried through the door.

"Michael!" Jesse called.

Michael was heading for his job at the sailing club. Ever since he had stuck out a jar with a big label on it, on which the words "Max's College Fund" had been written in a black marker pen, business had been booming. And the jar had to be emptied at least three times a day. It wasn't just change that people put in there. Bills, too, had appeared, many of them large denominations. Along with a couple of telephone numbers and a little message, 'call me'.

"What's up, Jesse?" Michael paused near some bushes and waited for his friend.

"Listen, I have to tell you this," Jesse was panting from his exertions.

"It's Alex," Jesse looked down at his feet. "I don't know if you're aware of this, but Alex has been making a play for Liz."

"Liz?" Michael seemed surprised. "No. You're kidding me. One, Max is Alex's best friend. And two, no way would Liz turn her back on Max like that."

"No, no," Jesse shook his head. "Liz has been turning him down. She's not interested. And Alex just found out that Liz walks over to the camp everyday to see Max. I think... I think Alex is going to do something stupid. I think Liz might be in danger."

Michael thought back to that early morning when Max had told him, 'Friends don't do that to friends'. Max had been letting him know that he was always looking out for Michael just as he knew Michael had looked out for Max. And now, 'his' friend's girlfriend was in trouble and Max was not in a position to help. But he was.

Michael started running, toward the trees that led to Camp Sequoia.

Behind him, Sean emerged from behind the bush and watched Jesse as he slunk away, returning to the staff quarters. He then turned to watch Michael running hell for leather toward the trees. Shrugging off the litter pack and dropping the spear, Sean ran after Michael as fast as he could.

Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 16 03-01 pg 10

Post by WR »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the delay. Better late than never, though. Sadly, this is the last chapter. :( So, before I begin, I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that this story was based on William Shakespear's "The Two Gentlemen of Verona"
However, I took a huge chunk of artistic license and changed his ending. The way he wrote it plain sucked! LOL - Me, criticizing the Bard! Well, this was his first play so we can grant him some leeway. If you want to know The Bard's ending and can;t be bothered to read his story for yourself, PM me. :)

Also, can I thank you all for you comments, your feedback and most of all, your patiance. I really hope you have enjoyed this story as much as my others. :)

Wayne.

Chapter 17

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending.
No hope, no love, no glory,
No Happy Ending.
This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever.
Then live the rest of our life,
But not together.

Wake up in the morning, stumble on my life
Can't get no love without sacrifice
If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well
A little bit of heaven, but a little bit of hell

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
Happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I'm wasted
And I'm wastin' every day

I'm not pretending.
No Happy Ending.
Like it's forever.
But not together.

2 o'clock in the morning, something's on my mind
Can't get no rest; keep walkin' around
If I pretend that nothin' ever went wrong, I can get to my sleep
I can think that we just carried on

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
Happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I'm wasted
And I'm wastin' every day

I'm not pretending.
No Happy Ending.
Like it's forever.
But not together.

A Little bit of love, little bit of love
Little bit of love, little bit of love[repeat]

I feel as if I'm wasted
And I waste everyday

I'm not pretending.
No Happy Ending.
Like it's forever.
To live the rest of our life,
But not together.

Happy Ending by Mika

Liz moved along the path through the trees as though she had been doing this all of her life. She wore a bright yellow summer dress and white pumps. Her hair was pinned up in a ponytail; she would let it loose when she reached Camp Sequoia. She moved like she didn't have a care in the world... until a dark haired man stepped out in front of her, just as she entered a clearing.

"Where the hell do you think you're going, Liz?" he demanded.

Liz stopped dead in her tracks and blinked.

"Wherever I want to, Kyle," she narrowed her eyes. "It's a free country."

"You're going to 'him', aren't you!" he accused.

"If by 'him'," Liz rolled her eyes, "you mean Max, then yes. Yes, I am going to Max."

"I am not going to stand for this! I'm not going to stand around while you throw yourself at that... that scum," Kyle spat. "I will not let you get yourself dragged down into the mire with him and his kind. No fiancée of mine is going to mess about with the trash."

"Oh?" Liz raised an eyebrow. "Did you forget to actually 'ask' me to marry you, Kyle? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I would have remembered saying 'no' to you."

"So instead, you're going to go and throw yourself at that waste of space like some cheap hooker?"

"I am not 'throwing' myself at him, Kyle," Liz shook her head in resignation. "It's not like that. I love him and he loves me."

"Love," Kyle snorted. "He only loves your money. And what the hell do you know about love, anyway?"

"Enough to know that I can never love you, Kyle," Liz gave a shrug.

"Yeah?" Kyle's anger flared. "Well, let's just see what your father thinks, shall we?"

Kyle reached out and grabbed her wrist before she could get away.

"Let me go, Kyle," Liz tried to break his grip. "You're hurting me."

Until that moment, Jeff Parker had never understood what someone meant when they said that they 'froze'. Witnessing Kyle manhandle Liz like that, in spite of his paternal instincts to step out and protect his daughter, Jeff found that he had 'froze'. He couldn't move. Even when the three young men arrived, strangers and not too friendly looking, Jeff still could not explain why he was not moving. But hindsight showed him that it was a good thing he did.

"Oh, look," one of three large thugs who had just emerged from the trees into the clearing, sneered. "A party. With dancing girls. Let's crash and have ourselves some fun."

"This doesn't concern you," Kyle shook his head, backing away from the three guys.

Although he maintained his grip on Liz's wrist, he was almost using her to shield himself from the three.

"You're right," the second nodded. "I'm not concerned at all. Are any 'a you guys concerned?"

"Nope," the others shook their head. "We just want to party."

"This is a private matter," Kyle was still trying to back away, but the trio had separated and were moving to cut off Kyle's retreat. "Between me and her."

Liz continued to struggle. Not only to get away from Kyle but from these three as well. She was not feeling very safe at all.

"Well, we kind a decided to make it a public matter," the third grinned. "'Tween you, us three and your lady, there."

"Yeah," the first nodded. "Maybe if you give us all your cash, your cards and your watch, you know, as gifts, and piss off leaving us your girl because I'm sure she has a little something-something we might like, then maybe we can change that matter back to private between just us and her."

Liz looked up at Kyle, horrified that he was considering abandoning her to these men. What happened next, though, shocked Liz to her very core. Kyle Valenti turned tail and ran through the trees as fast as his legs could carry him, leaving Liz to face these three rather large men alone.

Before she could react, one of them had already grabbed her.

"Come on, babe," the young man catcalled. "You got a kiss for me?"

As another hand reached out to grab her, there was the loud sound of a rip. Someone had torn Liz's dress.

From his vantage point, Jeff was starting to move to assist his daughter, his temper and rage almost blinding him, only too aware that there was little he could do as the three of them would easily overpower him and Liz would still be helpless. But what else could he do? Still, he was unable to move. He was relieved when another person arrived, in the nick of time.

"Leave her alone," Alex came pounding through the trees throwing himself at the first of the three that was nearest to him.

The two men tumbled into a heap on the floor. Alex rose, holding his fists like a boxer. Jeff blinked in astonishment, his admiration for the boy, climbing as fast as his respect for Kyle had fallen.

"Alex!" Liz gasped.

Although she was thankful for his intervention, she was now worried that he would be on the receiving end of a brutal assault. Fearing the same thing, Jeff was trying to go to Alex's assistance when yet again, he was taken by surprise.

"Come on, then," Alex sneered. "Let's see what you're like with someone who fights back."

"Come on, dudes," the leader of three shook his head. "This ain't worth it."

The three thugs hurried off in the direction they had arrived, while Alex called to them to stand and fight. Both Jeff and Liz heaved sighs of relief. A tragedy had been averted.

"Are you all right?" Alex rushed to Liz's side, kneeling to help her up.

"Yeah," Liz nodded, trying to remove Alex's arm, which he had wrapped around her.

She dusted herself off and pulled the ripped dress together.

"Just a little shaken is all." She looked around. "Do you think they've gone?"

"Oh, yeah," Alex nodded. "If they know what's good for them, they've run all the way back to town by now."

"Thank you Alex," Liz smiled at him. "I'm really glad you were close by. I, uh..." she looked in the direction that the thugs had taken and then glanced back in the direction her original path was taking her. "I better go, now."

Once more, Jeff Parker was about to intervene, when yet more visitors arrived. First it was Max's friend, Michael. The young man crept forward until he was hiding behind a tree no more than ten yards in front of Jeff, not even seeing his boss. And then, off to one side, about another twenty yards away, but with a good view of the clearing was the new boy. Stan? No, Sean.

"Oh, for Pete's sake," Jeff shook his head, muttering to himself. "Does no one do the job I pay them for?"

"What?" Alex gasped as Liz started to walk again, in the direction of Camp Sequoia. Unaware that he now had an audience, he ran up to her and grabbed her arm, in much the same way that Kyle had. "That's it? I save you from being raped by those... those assholes and all I get for my trouble is a 'thank you'?"

"What else do you want, Alex?" Liz eyes narrowed. "My eternal gratitude? Okay, it's yours. You have it. I am eternally grateful. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Well, why not offer me a date?" Alex demanded, still holding Liz's wrist. "Or a kiss even? Or you know what? How about a sample of what those guys were going to take? Why don't we combine all three right here, right now?"

"I'd rather have those thugs back!" Liz screamed in defiance.

"You little bitch," Alex slapped Liz across her face with the back of his hand.

Just as he was starting to grab her clothing, Jeff saw that Michael and Sean were both preparing to put a stop to Alex's assault.

Max beat them all to it. Like a blur, he burst from the trees and had Alex thrown to the ground and Liz tucked safely behind him before anyone could work out what the heck was happening.

"What the hell do you think you are doing, Alex?" Max sounded more incredulous than angry.

"Max!" Liz gasped, recognizing her rescuer. It had all happened too fast for her, too.

"Max!" Alex echoed Liz. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," Max was glaring down at his friend... his ex-friend. "What the hell were you doing to Liz?"

"Nothing," Alex shook his head.

"Nothing?" Max roared, his fists forming. "'Cause from back there it looked like you were trying to... force yourself on her. And did you just hit her?"

"You don't understand, Max," Alex propped himself up on his elbows and nodded at Liz. "She's just a tease. She's been teasing me, leading me on. Ever since I got here. And she's been teasing all the guys back at the club, too, only you can't see that. You never saw that. She's a fucking cock tease, man. She deserves everything she gets."

"What?" Max yelled out. His face turned red with rage. He took a couple of deep breaths to calm himself. "No one deserves this, Alex," Max shook his head. "Liz least of all. Were you really going to rape her?"

"You only just got here, Max," Alex shook his head. "First, she was out here with Valenti. Only these three guys turn up before she was able to put out for him and she starts making eyes at them, trying to make Valenti jealous. Only he walks off 'cause he's so disgusted with her. And then she realizes that maybe she might have to make good her flirting with those other guys and so when she sees me, she tells them I'm her boyfriend. She promises me anything if I get her away from them and as soon as they've gone, she's all little Miss Priss again." Alex started to climb up. "Look at her, Max," he nodded. "She's come between us. You and me, we're friends. Friends till the end, you said. The four horsemen."

"She never came between us," Max shook his head. "You did that all by yourself. What kind of a man are you who attacks a girl just because she says no?"

Alex had no chance to respond.

"I can't believe you!" Sean stepped from the trees. He walked up to Alex and was poking him in the chest with his slim finger. "You've been doing everything in your power to throw yourself at Liz and she's done everything in her power to keep you away. You and that meathead, Valenti who, can I say, is so not worth anything right now. How many times does she have to tell you, she only wants to be with Max."

Max's eyes widened as he looked at Sean and he started to laugh. Liz, stepping out from behind Max and taking his hand in hers, looked up and frowned.

"Hey," Michael stepped from his hiding place and moved to the other side of Max. "Looks like you found out Alex has been after Liz."

"I guess," Max nodded, giving Liz's hand a squeeze. He looked down at her. "Has he been hitting on you all this time?"

"I only found out this morning," Michael looked a little sheepish.

"Yeah," Liz nodded with a frown. "Since before you left, really. Only I didn't..."

"No need to explain," Max placed a finger over her lips.

"What do you think?" Michael nodded at the scene of minor violence going on before them where Sean was squaring up tp Alex. "That's, uh, Sean. He roomed with me after you, uh, left. Should we stop them?"

"Really?" Max started to chuckle. "Leave them. I think Alex is getting back a little of what he deserves."

Sean was giving Alex the verbal beating of his life. He was calling him the most unkind names going. Then, he started on about how much he has hurt Maria, how she was way too good for him and how their engagement was so over.

"What's that all about?" Michael frowned. "Why is he so outraged for Maria?"

"Didn't you know?" Liz leaned forward to look at Michael just as Sean grabbed the ring on Alex's pendant and pulled it off. "Sean is Maria's cousin."

"Is he now?" Max laughed again.

When Sean started to get a little hysterical and started to lash at Alex with his hands and feet, Michael stepped forward and gently took the young man, pulling him away.

"Whoa, dude," Michael urged as Alex took off into the trees. "Take it easy. He's gone now."

Sean just nodded and burst into tears, throwing himself against Michael who could only hold him with a heavy, pained look of discomfort. He looked to Liz for a little help, only to find that she was locked in an embrace with Max.

"Are you okay?" Max took both Liz's hand in his and looked at her, critically.

"I'll live," Liz nodded. "Not exactly my best day, but you know..."

Wordlessly, he pulled off his polo shirt and and started to pull it over Liz's head and shoulders to cover her torn dress. He missed Liz's eyes darkening.

"Michael?" Max called.

Grateful for the distraction, Michael was able to extract himself from Sean and turned to his friend.

"Can you and uh, Sean make sure Liz gets home safely, please?"

"Max," Liz pulled herself to him. "No. I want to come with you."

"Liz," Max turned to her with a look of tenderness. He stroked her cheek with his fingers. "You've just been through a bit of an ordeal... and your dress is all torn. Go home, have a long hot bath and just... give yourself time to recover, okay?"

"But, I want to see you, Max," she protested.

"I'm still just down the lake," he nodded over his shoulder. "Although I'd feel happier if we can make some other arrangements for you to visit. I don't want you out here alone again."

"But, Max..."

"Shhh," Max placed his fingers on her lips. "I love you, Liz. Nothing is going to change that. Go home, get some rest. And I'll come with the truck tomorrow morning to pick you up, early. Okay?"

"Okay," Liz nodded.

"Just bring her home on time for the ball," Michael reminded them. "I mean, it's tomorrow night, right?"

"Right," Liz nodded sadly.

"And it's your birthday," Max smiled. "We'll spend the day just being together and then I'll get you home in time so you don't upset your father any more than necessary. God knows what he'd be thinking if he caught wind of any of this."

"I wish you were coming to the ball, Max," she pressed herself to his chest. "Maybe I'll just move out. Screw the ball. It's not like I even want to go or anything. Or maybe you could just, you know, crash. I mean, it's my party and I can bring who I want to."

"No, Liz." Max kissed her forehead. "It'll only cause more arguments and bad feelings between you and your dad. I would love to come, but I don't want to be the reason why you don't get on with your family. One day, you'll regret that."

"But I don't want to regret any wasted time without you, Max," she whimpered.

"We'll still meet each other, Liz," Max assured her. "In secret, just like now. We can stay in touch."

Liz nodded against his chest.

"And I want you to promise me that you will enjoy yourself at the ball tomorrow night. No sulking, okay?"

"Fat chance," Liz shook her head. "If you're not there, I'll be miserable all night."

"For me," Max urged. "Have fun for me."

Liz looked sensational. Dressed in a black, strapless, floor length ball gown, she turned heads everywhere she went. She graciously accepted her birthday wishes, especially from those young men who were all totally smitten with her, but she 'reluctantly' declined every invitation to dance. In fact, the only two men whose presence she tolerated were Michael and Sean. Max trusted them, so she trusted them, too.

"No Kyle?" Michael cocked an eyebrow.

"Left last night," Liz shrugged. "Tail between his legs. He, uh, embarrassed himself yesterday. I really don't think I'm going to have to worry about marriage to him anymore."

"You weren't really worried in the first place, were you?" Sean frowned. "I mean, your dad wouldn't..."

"No," Liz shook her head. "He has his faults but that's not one of them. If I had said no, he wouldn't have forced me. Encouraged, yes. Forced, no. Where's Alex? And I haven't seen Jesse, either."

"They left last night, too," Michael shrugged. "Alex left because he knew I was going to kick his ass. Not just because of what he did to you, but what he did to Max. And Maria."

"You like Maria," Liz gave a smile. "Don't you."

"Like she'd ever look at me," Michael shrugged. "What is it with you and Max? How come you two saw that I liked her and no one else did?"

Sean looked up at Michael with a startled expression.

"Would you like to dance?" another young hopeful asked Liz.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Liz gave him fake puppy dog eyes. "But you know what? I hurt my ankle today and I really can't dance on it."

Michael gave a snort as the man left.

"Hurt your ankle," he shook his head with a snort. "I know you're at least three inches taller tonight."

"Four," Liz nodded. "What? I wanted the extra height to seem more intimidating."

"In that dress, Liz?" Michael smirked, "Even with those extra inches, you're still as intimidating as a cream puff."

"You're not coming on to me," Liz's eyes twinkled, "are you, Michael?"

"What?" Michael turned several shades of scarlet. "No! No! I wouldn't... You and Max... Oh, okay. You got me."

Liz broke out into a peal of laughter.

"Seriously, guys," she gave them a look. "I can cope. Go, have fun. Ask some girls to dance. Stop worrying about me."

Later in the evening, Liz was standing closer to the buffet table, remembering her day with Max. He had taken her sailing in the morning, which was totally romantic until a couple of his better students sailed out and decided to crowd them. They had a picnic lunch which Max had arranged to be delivered from a deli in town. And he had presented her with her present. A gold necklace with the outline of a heart as it's pendant. Naturally, she had scolded him for his extravagance, but he had just waved her off.

"You're worth every cent to me, Liz," he told her. "And I wish I could afford to buy you more. Things that you are probably more used to. But I hope that my heart is enough."

"It is enough, Max," she replied with tears in her eyes. "It's more than enough. It's more than I could have ever hoped for."

Right in the middle of her lovely daydream, another young man asked her to dance. Only this one didn't have the nerve to face her. He asked her behind her back. Literally.

"Would you like to dance with me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, "Liz shook her head with her stock answer. If he couldn't be bothered to face her, she wouldn't be bothered to turn. "But you know what? I hurt my ankle and I really can't dance on it."

"It'll be fun," the man persisted. "Let's go and dance."

"No, thank you," Liz allowed a little irritation to show through her voice.

"How about if I play you at tennis?" the man chuckled. "Will you dance with me if I beat you?"

Forgetting about her fictitious hurt ankle, Liz spun around to face the young man.

"Max!" she gasped at the young man before her, dressed in an immaculate tuxedo that fit him like a glove. "But... How...?"

Her mouth opened and closed.

"Your dad," Max nodded up at the circular staircase at the end of the ballroom.

At the top of the stairs, her father was standing with a glass of champagne in his hand. He raised the glass in toast to her. To them. He was giving them his blessing. Liz turned to face Max again, total confusion in her eyes.

"Your dad came to see me," Max smiled. "Last night. Apparently, he witnessed the whole thing, yesterday. He said that every time he tried to intervene, someone else turned up. So he just watched and listened and waited to see if he was needed. He wouldn't have allowed you to get hurt, Liz. But he saw everything, and he never realized how much we cared about one another. He also said that my actions were exemplary. And when he heard me telling you how I didn't want to be the reason for you and your dad not getting on... Anyway, he invited me to the ball. He even made arrangements for this tux. Nice huh?"

"It's gorgeous, Max," Liz ran her hand over his shoulder.

"No, you're gorgeous, Liz," Max smiled at her, taking her hand in his. "You are so very beautiful."

He kissed the back of her hand, a light, delicate kiss that burned to the depths of Liz's core.

"Max," she breathed. "Does that mean you have your job back?"

"Well, he did offer it to me, Liz," Max nodded. "But the thing is... Your Dad's guests... they have everything. The kids, they have nothing. And it's so great to be helping them, you know? I might not be making any money but I'm having such a good time. And as much as I want to see you and be with you as often as I can, I want to help the kids, too."

"I understand," Liz nodded. "So we can make a deal. You help the kids during the day, okay? But Max? The evenings are mine. And for the record? You're never going to be able to beat me at tennis. Now let's go dance."

It was after half a dozen or so dances when Liz approached Sean, asking if she might have a private word with him. With more than a hint of nervousness, Sean nodded and followed Liz through the main doors and out into the night air. Sean wordlessly followed Liz through the trees until he realized that Liz had taken him to her home.

"Uh, Liz?" Sean looked around nervously.

He hung back as Liz entered her bedroom.

"You coming in?" Liz called.

"Look, Liz," Sean stammered. "You know, I'm sure you're a nice person and all, but now that you and Max..."

Liz appeared at the door holding a green dress and cast a critical look over Sean's body.

"Uhm," Liz frowned. "This will fit, I'm sure. And I'm pretty sure that a pair of my step-moms shoes will fit... but until I see what we're working with... I hope you're wearing suitable underwear under that suit. If not," she winked, "you can go commando."

"Excuse me?" Sean's mouth dropped open. "You want me to... to dress up in drag?"

"Max recognized you, Maria," Liz rolled her eyes. "Yesterday, when you showed up."

Sean's mouth flapped open and closed.

"He did?" Maria finally shook her head. "How come no one else did?"

"I don't know," Liz shrugged. "I mean neither Alex nor Michael noticed. And they've known you just as long as Max, right? And he's already told me about you and him... you know."

Maria remained silent for a moment, turning a few different shades of scarlet.

"Well," Maria finally spoke. "Maybe Max recognized me because he has such great taste in women, huh?"

"Maybe," it was Liz's turn to blush, but she laughed with Maria.

"You want to know what really bugs me, Max," Michael was venting. "It sticks in my craw that Alex will go home and make all nice with Maria and she will never know what a bastard he is."

"I'm sure she'll know," Max placed his hand on Michael's shoulder.

"I hope Sean tells her," Michel nodded. "She'd never believe me if I told her. And that's another thing? How come we never met Sean before? I mean, if he's her cousin and lives so close... And what is he doing with Liz, anyway? Max, are you sure that you and Liz are okay?"

"Ah," Max smiled. "Here come the ladies."

"Ladies?" Michael frowned.

He turned to look in the direction that Max was now gazing with total love in his eyes. Michael knew that Liz was there, but Max had said ladies. He saw Liz at once. He would have to be blind to not see that she was a very beautiful young woman and he could see why it was that Max had fallen for her. And the woman beside her... she was... she...

"Maria?" Michael gasped at last. "Maria! How...?"

"Hi Michael," Maria smiled at him.

"Uh, hi Maria," he looked at Max who was now lost in Liz's world and then back to Maria. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I've come to dance with you," Maria smiled. "With a great and loyal friend."

"You have?" Michael's mind was still whirling. "Uh, your cousin, Sean... He's around here somewhere."

"He left," Maria shrugged. "Are we gonna dance or what?"

"What..."

"Max," Liz's eyes clouded. "I know it's only July 4th, and we still have the whole summer, but we haven't really thought this through, have we? I mean, what's going to happen when we have to go back to school?"

"Well," Max started.

"I mean," Liz continued, "Sacramento is so far from San Francisco. But, it could be worse, right? I could be at Harvard or something, but it's just semantics. Distance is distance."

"Yeah, but..."

"Max," she looked up into his eyes. "I love you, you know that, right?"

"I know, Liz," Max nodded. "And I love you too. And we're going to make this work."

"But it might not, okay Max? I mean, every single one of my roomies had their relationships ended because of the long distance curse. And I'm not naïve enough to think we can beat it. So, Max? I'm going to prepare for the worst, okay? So that when we say goodbye in September, I'm not going to hold to any artificial hope. 'Cause that would be even more painful. So we're going to have a blast all summer, Max, and we will never discuss college again. Okay? Are you with me on this."

"I have more faith in us than that, Liz," Max smiled.

"I'm just protecting my heart, Max," Liz gave a sad smile. "Because it's going to break into a million pieces."

"Okay, Liz," Max smiled. "We'll have the best fun of our lives until September. And then? Then we'll say goodbye till we meet again. 'Cause, trust me. We've already had the worst of it."

The End.

Epilogue to follow
Last edited by WR on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Friends Like These M&L [TEEN] Part 17 03-21 pg 12

Post by WR »

They say that all good things come to an end, and I hope that this was one of those good things, because this is the end. :)

Thank you all for reading my story and thank you all for your great feedback and support. I'm glad that you enjoyed the twist with Sean/Maria, butr come on! What's a shakespear play where a woman doesn't dress up as a guy?? :lol:

Anyway... here is the epilogue. Hope you like it.

Epilogue

When it's love you give
I'll be a man of good faith.
then in love you live.
I'll make a stand. I won't break.
I'll be the rock you can build on,
be there when you're old,
to have and to hold.
When there's love inside
I swear I'll always be strong.
and there's a reason why.
I'll prove to you we belong.
I'll be the wall that protects you
from the wind and the rain,
from the hurt and pain.

Let's make it all for one and all for love.
Let the one you hold be the one you want,
the one you need,
'cause when it's all for one it's one for all.
When there's someone that should know
then just let your feelings show
and make it all for one and all for love.

When it's love you make
I'll be the fire in your night.
then it's love you take.
I will defend, I will fight.
I'll be there when you need me.
When honor's at stake,
this vow I will make:

that it's all for one and all for love.
the one you need,
then just let your feelings show
and make it all for one and all for love.

Don't lay our love to rest
'cause we could stand up to the test.
We got everything and more than we had planned,
more than the rivers that run the land.
We've got it all in our hands.

Now it's all for one and all for love.
It's all for love.
the one you need,
It's one for all.
then just let your feelings show.
When there's someone that you want,
when there's someone that you need
let's make it all, all for
one and all for love.

All For Love by Bryan Adams

Well, that was it. The summer that defined us as adults in almost every way. Excuse me? You want to know how did Max and Liz make out at the end of that summer? Oh, that was almost a story in itself. The couple made out almost every night for the rest of the summer. Some of the days, too. Jeff and Doug came up with this neat idea where they shared Max's services, with Jeff paying Doug for the privilege. The much-needed cash enabled Doug to do some desperately required maintenance to his camp. So, needless to say, Max and Liz found themselves on the same lunch hour during those days. On the last day of the summer, with Liz helping out in one place while Max helped out at another, ferrying kids to the bus station in town, they actually missed one another. So Max never found an opportunity to tell Liz about his plans.

We all returned to college, naturally, with Maria and Liz becoming good friends at Berkeley. Maria told me that the first few days back, Liz was like a bear with a sore head. She snapped the heads off of anyone, especially the young men who kept on hitting on her.

Then, one evening, Maria persuaded Liz to attended a disco at the Rec Center with Maria. This one brave soul approached Liz and said something which changed her whole mood. This dude uses the worst opening line ever.

"Do you come here often?"

Of course it was Max! Who else could light up Liz's face like that? It turned out that with the funds we collected for Max at the camp and the earnings he managed to make during the summer, plus the sizeable grant Jeff Parker gave him, Max was able to transfer to Berkeley to be with Liz. It was nice to see Max get a taste of money and influence for a change. Once she had found out, Liz demanded to know why he had made her live these few days of hell when he must have known for weeks that he was transferring to the same school. Know what he said?

"You made me promise not to talk about college."

We never saw much of Alex after that. Max, Liz and Maria saw him on campus from time to time, always with a different girl, it seemed, but he went out of his way to avoid everyone. Maria told me that Alex tried to ask Liz out once, as if nothing had happened, but I won't repeat what Liz said to him. It would change the rating on my story. Alex eventually graduated and returned to Verona where he now helps run his father's family business. 'Whitman and Son', they're called. He married some bimbo who ran off a year later, ironically with her tennis coach. He lost a whole lot of money divorcing her. Now he just picks up women and dates them for a while before dumping them for another, younger bimbo. Seems that the younger they get, the more dumb they are.

We still saw Jesse from time to time. He graduated and became a really successful lawyer. He eventually met and married a famous model. But it turned out that he had a few problems trusting her, I guess. It seems that he was always hiring Private Investigators to spy on his wife when she went away on fashion shoots, convinced that she was having affairs when she left town on assignment. When she eventually found out about it, she left him. They're not divorced or anything, and I think Jesse hopes for some kind of reconciliation, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. He has trust issues, probably dating back to that summer. He still feels guilty for not speaking out against Alex before it caused all those problems, and so he does his best to avoid us.

As for Kyle, we never heard from him again. No big loss.

Maria and I continued what we started the night of the Ball and dated the rest of the year. We fought more then we made out, but we never actually broke up. I guess we like the intensity our fighting gave us. I mean, it was so intense that we even made love long before Max and Liz did. And I was rather thrilled to find out that Maria never did give herself to Alex. It wouldn't have bothered me if she hadn't been a virgin, but the fact that Alex could never say 'I had her first' meant so much to me. We both graduated and while planning our future together, Maria discovered that she was pregnant. We were married two months later and have been very much happily in love ever since. Seven months after that, Maria presented me with a lovely, beautiful, perfect daughter. I don't know who I love more. As if I could choose! C'mon! We named her Siobhan, the closest female equivalent to Sean we could find. We owe a lot to Maria's 'cousin'.

The path of true love never runs smooth, they say, but for Max and Liz, the opposite was very much true. They were the real deal, the total package. They still are. They are so much fixated on the other's happiness that they are both always totally happy. Sure, they fight every now and then, but they never end the day without making up. Sometimes, I think they fabricate these few fights they have just so that they can appear normal to us mere mortals, as well as to get straight to the making up. They were married three months after Maria and I, and bought a house not too far from us. They don't have any kids yet, mainly because Liz wants to enjoy their life together for a while first. They're still young, after all, and while I would never regret Siobhan coming into our lives so early, there is plenty of time for Max and Liz to make that step. But I know that Max wants to have kids mainly because he wants to prove to himself that he is not like his stepfather. Hey, Maria, myself and Liz could tell him that anytime.

Talking of which, it was funny to see Max's stepfather appear out of the blue at Max's wedding. Naturally, Max had invited his mother but had hinted that his stepfather would not be welcome. That didn't stop him from turning up, probably expecting some kind of slice of the pie. Naturally, the old man kept trying to convince Max that he had merely been trying to make a man of Max, to encourage him to stand on his own two feet. I saw just as well as Max did that the old drunkard was expecting that he could live the life of luxury riding on Max's coattails.

That all turned rather sour when Max's Mom tried to stop her husband having too much to drink. He started to hit her and was stopped by Doug Shellow, the owner of Camp Sequoia. Naturally, having run the drunk bully off, he then sought to comfort Max's mom. Can you believe it? They're getting married just as soon as her divorce comes through. Alex and Jesse were invited to both of our weddings but neither replied. And neither did we get an invitation to theirs.

Liz helps her father run his business empire, although she only deals with the holiday club, really. Max became a High School teacher, and is widely regarded as the best in town. His specialty is helping to get disadvantaged kids into college. Talking of disadvantaged, Max still helps out at Camp Sequoia, which has gone from strength to strength ever since Jeff Parker started to help fund it. They even allow campers from Sequoia to make use of the facilities at Milan Heights, and the inter camp competitions are a regular riot. Every competitive game has been designed to emphasize fun rather than skill. And when the two opposing team coaches are totally in love, you know that any sports day is going to be fun. Yes, Maria and I always get involved, too.

Maria and Liz have become best friends, in the same way that Max and I have. Max and Maria have always been great friends and I gained so much respect for Liz during that summer, especially after she worked so hard to help increase the money in that jar for Max - a fact he still knows nothing about, he thinks it was all me - I can honestly say that she too is a great friend of mine. The four of us, we're almost inseparable. It seems like we are always together. We haven't given ourselves any cheesy name, but if we had to, I guess we would be known as the total opposite to the Four Horsemen. Apocalypses... Apocalypsi... whatever, the plural of that word is not what we are about. The end of the world? Not a chance. We are all about the beginnings, now.

You know what? As far as Max and Liz are concerned, we could call them the 'Big Bang.'

Yes sir. As I look across the yard at Max, Maria and Liz, sitting at our picnic table out in the sun, chatting about our past and the things that are going on in our present while they feed our daughter, my heart swells with pride, friendship and love. I know that my life is full. Complete.

And it's all because I have friends like these.

The End

Based on Shakespeare's "Two Gentlemen of Verona"

AUTHORS NOTE: For those who have no idea of Gaelic pronunciation, the Irish name 'Siobhan' is pronounce Shi-vaughn. Sounds close to Sean. :wink:

I'm now off to start on an Alternate Universe with Aliens tale. A bit of a new venture for me but an idea that has been running through my mind for ages. HOpe you'll enjoy it. :)

See you soon, everyone!

Wayne