The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult)chpt 11*complete* 9/20/09

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult)chpt 11*complete* 9/20/09

Post by jake17 »

The amazing banner was made my sweet wonderful friend Kristin (dreamer19)

Title: The Fire Within
Author: jake17
Pairings: M/L
Disclaimer: I own nothing roswell
Authors Note: This is a challenge by dreamer19, kristin (a girl with one of the biggest hearts I know :wink: ) I know I have a ton of stories on, I hope no one's getting sick of me :oops: ...I just had to take this ... come on! Max as a fireman! :shock: I think I dreamed this a couple of hundred times already!! :twisted: :lol: This is all kristin's freakin awesome idea, thank you sweetie! I hope you like what I did. :D

Summary:

Challenge by dreamer19

304. Taken by Jake17

Max, Michael, Alex, Kyle and Jim Valenti all work as firefighters. The rest of the girls must be in the mix as well. Conventional couples.

Max and Liz are neighbors in the same apartment building. That's where the fire breaks out. Liz is trapped in the building. Max and Liz end up trapped when he tries to rescue her. During the small amount of time they have, they hold onto each other and Liz kisses Max telling him it was one thing she wouldn't have to regret not doing before they die. They both pass out from smoke or have some burn marks. Either way they both wake up alive and now both their lives have been thrown so far off balance. What happens after the fire and the sparks have died down?

Chapter 1.

As smoke billowed from the fourth floor apartment building dozens of people filed out of the front door coughing and gasping for air.

“Maria have you seen Liz!?”

“I think she’s still inside!”

“What happened!?”

“I don't know! I heard an explosion, and then the fire came, it happened so fast, I couldn't find her anywhere! Oh my god Isabel what if she’s still in there!?”

“Don’t worry Maria the guys should be here any second.”

Just as the words left her mouth they began to hear the loud sirens blaring towards them.

Michael jumped off the truck first followed closely by Kyle and Alex; all of them were frantic, as they looked over the girls worried that everyone hadn’t gotten out. Michael sneaked by the chief waving to the others as they ran to their individual duties.

“I see them, they’re ok!”

Still buttoning his coat Michael hugged Maria.

“Are you ok?!”

“Michael it’s Liz, she never came out, I banged on her door but she never came out. The smoke it was too thick I couldn’t breathe!”

“Shit! What about Max?”

”What do you mean? Isn’t he with you?”

Michael looked up at the flames that were blazing threw the windows of the fifth floor where they shared an apartment and shook his head.

“No it’s his day off, I think he’s in there.”

Michael stood mesmerized by the damaged that had already taken over the building before he was pulled away. Just before he quickly attached his oxygen mask and leaned to her ear whispering to her words that he prayed were the truth.

”Don’t worry Maria if he’s in there I’m sure he’s found her by now. He’ll take care of her.”

Orders were being barked out as several streams of water were raised against the building. The chief quickly assessed the damage and determined it was unsafe for anyone to enter the engulfed building.

Isabel and Maria stood in horror clutching each other as the sound of crackling fire echoed through the night.

Within seconds Kyle and Alex where ascending to the roof on the fire trucks ladder. Worry ran through Maria when Michael was nowhere to be found.

Inside Liz crawled across the floor doing her best to stay low to the ground like her friends had taught her.

Grasping at her throat she screamed for help as she held her robe tightly to her body.

She clutched her head in her hands wondering how she had missed the alarms. She had only been in the shower for ten minutes before she heard the fire engines outside her window.

“Liz! Are you in there!”

“Max?! I’m here please help me!”

Convinced she was the only one left in the building Liz breathed a sigh of relief when she heard Max calling her name.

“Get away from the door!”

Running to the corner Liz watched in awe as the head of the Axe pierced her bedroom door. With several strikes Max was able to get through the fallen beams that had blocked the entrance.

Liz ran up to him and threw her arms around his waist as the smoke started to filter in.

Pulling her away Max grabbed the sheets off her bed and placed her back in the corner.

“What are you doing!”

“We need something to block the smoke!”

Drenching the sheets in water from her bathroom sink Max hung them over the hole and joined her on the floor.

Brushing the hair away from her face he cradled her charcoaled stained cheeks in his hands and looked her over.

“Are you ok?”

“Max, tell me the truth. It’s bad isn’t it?”

He paused not knowing what to say and glanced up at the window. A large bookcase was blocking half of the pane and the other half was black with smoke.

“The window! Bust the window Max so they can get the ladder to us.”

Looking down at the ground he contemplated telling Liz just how dire their situation was.

“I can’t do that Liz. Fire needs oxygen; if I open the window it will suck the fire right to us. We just have to stay put. They know we’re here, I’m sure Michael will be running up the stairs any second.”

Liz’s face fell staring up into his warm golden eyes as paralyzing fear ran through her body.

“I’m so scared Max hold me.”

For some reason the friendship they shared felt different he they huddled close together. They held on tighter as the heat from the fire creped closer and their young lives felt as though they were coming to an end.

“There’s no way Chief Valenti would send anyone here if it wasn’t safe. No one’s coming for us are they?”

“Liz. I , I don’t know what to say. From what I could tell the fire started on this floor, it may not be safe, I think the whole building is going, and if so …

Words failed him knowing she was right. Even though he had only been a firefighter for a year he knew the procedure.

Seeing her life flash before her eyes Liz bit back her tears and covered his hands with hers.

“So what you’re saying is this may be it, were trapped up here and we may only have minutes.”

Wrapping his strong arms around her he pulled her into his hard chest and stroked her hair gently doing his best to comfort her.

Whether it was the danger and the heat that was increasingly creeping towards them or the way his fingers swept across her face something sparked deep inside her.

His husky whispered voice against her ear drew her in closer as he gazed at her with concern.

“I’m here Liz, I won’t let you go.”

Breathless and facing certain death they both felt a sudden need for something… more.

“Max I-I want …

“What Liz…

In a split second everything seemed to stop. The sounds of the sirens and the flames were mere muffled background noise as he looked down at her soft mouth. Adrenaline pumped threw his body as he brushed the tip of his thumb across her bottom lip.

“There’s one thing I need to do before I die-

“Liz you’re not going to die.”

“Max I don’t want to regret…not ever…kissing…you.”

His eyes widened then soften as he slowly leaned into her brushing his mouth lightly against her lips.

Barely touching they opened their eyes and stared at one another both shocked at the feelings that were overwhelming them both… feelings they didn’t know they shared.

Finding her mouth again he more forcefully parted her lips and breathed in her soft moan. Time stood still as they passionately embraced beneath a thick cloud of smoke in what they thought was their last seconds on earth.

Parting under the strain of their restricted lungs they relented to the dense air and passed out in each other’s arms.

Suddenly beans splintered before them as three firemen who refused to give up burst into the room.

“Kyle they’re in here!”

“Michael grab Max! Alex you get Liz, wrap them in those blankets, we have to get out of here!”

“Hurry Michael there isn’t much time the whole buildings going to go!”

People rushed towards them as they stumbled out of the building. In a mass confusion of oxygen masks and water being shoved in their faces Max and Liz were whisked away to separate ambulances.

Arriving at the hospital Max slowly regaining consciousness. He opened his eyes to see his friend looming over him with worried eyes.

Straining against his sore constricted throat he choked out his concern for Liz.

Giving Max his cocky grin Michael nodded as he dumped a bottle of water over his head and shook his spiky hair.

“She’s fine Max. She’s just fine. Of course we’re in a shit load of trouble for saving your ass but she's ok Max.”

He closed his eyes as the reality of how close to death they came washed over him.

As he did his best to calm his beating heart he silently thought back to that last moment and that unexpected kiss.

After everything had calmed down one thought still remained as he spotted a nurse helping Liz into the hospital.

What would happen now?
Last edited by jake17 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 2 1/15/09

Post by jake17 »

Hunter (Monica) thanks for your opinion sweetie!! :D I love you my precious Monica!
Janetfl: Jan you made me laugh my freakin head off everyday! I just love you! thank you for everything!! :D
dreamer19 (kristin) hope I didn't mess up your vision! :oops: love you! :D
angelina my constant support, my sweet friend, thank you! :D
Natalie36: never a story unless ur fb is here, thank you! :D
Michelle17 (Courtney) they did kiss! Now they have to deal with it! thank you! :D
destiny: your question will be answered soon! thank you!! :D
begonia 9508 (Eve) Love and embarrassment :shock: you pretty much summed it all up Eve! thanks so much for your fb!
IheartMax: :lol: I knew Max as a fireman would be too much for your to handle, just wait seashell, it's going to get very hot, and i"m not talking about the fires! :wink: :twisted: :D love you!!
yayaliens: Yatie, hello! :D So happy you like this already! thank you!! :D
Emz80m: so happy you find this interesting already! thank you! :D
crazedearthgirl: so happy you like this! thank you for your fb!! :D
boo boo: love that your here ! thanks for your suppport! :D
POM: Wow!! You are so sweet! So beyond thrilled that you like my stories, thank you so much!! :D

This update is for Michelle17, Courtney! thank you so much for pming me about wanting another update for this story! Means so much to me that you liked it that much! you just make my day!!

Just a reminder this was a challenge by the amazing dreamer19, Kristin! She came up with this brilliant idea, I hope so much this is what you had in mind.
love you
carrie :D

Chapter 2.

Max walked through the hospital corridor coughing harshly still trying to clear his throat from the smoke he dangerously inhaled.

He had pulled off the oxygen mask that the nurse insisted he continue to wear growing tired of waiting for someone to administer the breathing tests that were required before he could be released.

If was hard for him to focus on anything else as he mind continued to flash back to the moment he and Liz shared before they were rescued. Pressing on he nodded pretending to listen to Michael as he wandered down the hall taking all the credit for saving their lives.

Max reached up and felt his lips recalling how soft her mouth was, how surprisingly passionate and aggressive she became as she grasped at his shirt desperately trying to pull him in closer.

This was as far away from the personality that he had come to know over the short year that they had known each other.

They had met through Michael; growning up together as best friends in Texas they were virtually inseparable, that is until Michael decided to move to follow his girlfriend Maria that was attending college at the University of New Mexico.

After four years of drifting to one dead end job to another and desperately missing his best friend, Max decided to give Roswell a try. Within no time at all Michael had Max lined up for the fireman’s test and they became roommates.

Liz and Maria had become best friends since meeting their freshman year in an English Lit class where Maria was failing miserably and Liz feeling great sympathy came to her rescue.

They became fast friends moving out of the dorm rooms and into a cheep but decent apartment building that was close enough to the university.

Kyle Alex and Isabel grew up with Liz and after a long night of short introductions and heavy drinking, the five of them were seldom seen apart.

They got along so well Kyle suggested that Michael take the firemen’s test and the rest is history.

Max’s life didn’t fall into place that easily. His intention was always to go college after high school but after his mother’s untimely death in a tragic drunk driving accident he just didn’t see the point in much of anything anymore.

Michael did his best to try and convince his friend to move with him, but Max always seemed to have an excuse why it wasn’t a good time, how his father needed him or he need more time.

That is until that one faithful day when there was a knock at Michael’s door. Max smiled shyly as he looked at the small pixie cute blonde dressed only in a football shirt and pink fuzzy slippers.

That was almost one year to the day he had decided to get on with his life and join his best friend. He fit in perfectly with everyone and before he knew it he was one of the newest members of the Roswell Fire Department.

He shared an apartment with Michael. Kyle and Alex did the same all living on the same floor. Isabel Maria and Liz all lived in one room studio apartments on the floor beneath them.

They were all extremely close except for Max who although was very friendly and extremely dependable and loyal, always seemed to keep his feelings very guarded and reserved.

The five of them spent most all of their free time together and although Max always thought very highly of Liz as a person; working her way through college, have very high aspirations and goals and always speaking her mind as a very independent woman he never look at her romantically.

That is until that night, that moment when she looked into his eyes in a way that made every confusing painful memory in his life just… disappear.

“Max are you listening to me?”

“What? Oh yeah of course... I’m just tired I guess. I just want to go home.”

Max slowly walked down the hall casually peaking in each room searching for her desperately needing to know if she was okay.

“Honestly I can’t see the Chief coming down on you too hard, it’s not like you did it alone, have you heard anything from Alex and Kyle?”

“No they stayed behind to help get the fire under control.”

Just then a small raspy voice whispered from one of the rooms.

“Max, Michael?”

Feeling his heart jump he practically ran into the room leaving Michael outside in the hallway scratching his head at Max’s urgency to see her.

Tentatively Max approached her bed watching closely looking for any clues as to what she was feeling now that it was all over.

Suddenly a palpable awkwardness filled the air as the two of them stared silently into each other’s eyes.

When Max reached up nervously to scratch behind his ear she noticed the thick bandages that covered both his upper extremities.

“Your arms!”

Her voice shocked him out of his thoughts making him look down at the bandages. He was so lost in her he almost forgot that both his arms had been badly burned.

Michael casually jumped on the bed next to Liz and pointed his big-gloved hand at Max.

“Yeah that was from holding you so tight Liz. When we found Max we could hardly see you. Max had his arms wrapped around you shielding you from the fire with his body. Hasn’t anyone told you Liz? Our boy Max here saved your life. What he did was very risky, he's lucky he walked away from this alive."

Liz bit her bottom lip and stared at the ground trying to take in what Michael had just told her.

She cleared her throat but she still sounded like she was struggling to get her words out unable to speak above a whisper.

“Max I don’t know what to say. I-I …

Liz stumbled nervously over her words, as the kiss replayed over and over in her head, it all seemed like a dream.

The only problem was she wasn’t sure how she felt now.

It had all happened so fast.

In the face of death her emotions where running so high she wasn’t sure if it was the heat of the moment, or her true feelings that were buried deep inside her that caused her to react so passionately towards him knowing that she would never have the chance again?

“Thank you.”

“Thank you?”

“For saving my life.”

Max shoved his hands in his pockets and stared down at the ground.

“It’s my job Liz. It’s what I do.”

“Right, well I guess I was lucky you were there then.”

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 3 1/27/09

Post by jake17 »

Ginger
Jan
Michelle17
angelina
destiny
keepsmiling
Eve
Lena
dreamer19, i miss u :(
boo boo x2
crazedearthgirl
POM
roswell3053

A huge thank you to everyone for your incredible fb! :)

Chapter 3.

The days that followed the fire were disorienting to say the least for both Max and Liz.

They both had nightmares of the terrifying experience and as a result suffered many sleepless nights.

Life for everyone had changed, the building was deemed unsafe from severe structural damage. They all ended up subletting a large house from a professor that was studying abroad for several months.

The house was huge with many bedrooms, only the boys had to pair up which often meant Maria kicking Max out of his room.

After many nights of rolling around on a very uncomfortable couch he often found himself resting in Maria’s bed, which shared a wall with Liz’s bedroom.

After many weeks Liz picked her classes back up only to find that either due to her traumatic incident or her growing insomnia she could not concentrate. She thought it was better to take a leave and start again in the fall.

Max tried relentlessly to get the Chief to reinstate him but was turned down time after time. He was reassured that as soon as the Doctors okayed him for full time active duty he would be welcomed back. This held no comfort for Max.

He needed something to fill his time, to get his mind off of his feelings for Liz that he had no clue how to deal with.

Night after night he would listen to her moan and cry out in her sleep. Liz would spend hours reading trying to get herself tired enough so she could escape her waking hours.

When sleep finally did come so did her nightmares, nightmares of burning flames and falling timber surrounding them both as they clung onto each other.

She had become very closed off after the fire, she refused to talk of that day or her fears that infiltrated her dreams.

Max although desperate to help her tried to respect her need for privacy. That is until one night in particular.

It was an unusual night where they were the only two in the house. Isabel had gone home to visit her parents, Alex and Kyle were both working the night shift and Maria and Michael had decided to take off for the weekend for some much needed alone time.

After a quiet dinner together that Max had prepared they watched a movie where Liz had unintentionally fallen asleep on the other end of the couch.

She had been up for a staggering five days straight only catching two hours here and there of sleep.

Max who never slept kneeled before her watching in fascination as her long dark eyelashes flickered and soft breaths escaped from her pink lips.

He sat back on his heels truly captivated by her. He couldn’t understand how he had spent so much time around her before and not seen her incredible beauty.

Of course he always thought she was attractive, that was obvious. Any one with eyes would see that, but it was different now.

She had let him into her heart, between the screams of the people outside and the glaring sirens he felt the passion that was buried deep within her.

He felt it in their kiss, in the way she clutched him tight as if he was the last person in the world, as if she had just discovered something that she desperately had to hold onto or she’d lose it forever.

He had seen little of this emotion though since that faithful day. She usually kept to herself.

They were only together when everyone else was around and it was obvious to him that if she had had any feelings towards him she wanted them to be private.

It they did come into contact she would act nervous and use an excuse to get to her room.

This killed him inside; to him they had discovered something special, something that grew with intensity for him as the days passed uneventfully by.

This strange night he was sure she would turn his invitation for dinner and a movie down.

He was clumsy often dropping things out of his usually very stable hands. He even dropped a glass onto the floor causing them both to jump and stare at the shattered pieces.

It was evident that the fire left its mark on the both of them. Surviving that day was only the first step in their recovery.

She remained her quiet self through the night; answering his questions when asked but not offering any conversation passed that.

Still it was enough just to be around her, close to her. Saving her life left him with a intense need to protect her. He would often follow her on the rare days that she left the house.

She never knew but he was always ten steps behind her close enough to help her but far enough to be invisible, he felt a great responsibility to the tiny brunette that nuzzled inside his chest that night.

Knowing how uncomfortable the couch was he lifted her up in his arms and carried her to her bed. She was so exhausted she barely moved, in fact she seems calmed by his beating heart as he rested her head against his hard chest.

He carefully slipped her slippers off and raised her comforter over her sleeping body before settling in Maria’s bed.

With everyone away he had his choice of rooms but selected the room next to her just in case she needed him.

For the next couple of hours Max tossed and turned getting up once to pull his shirt from his body. His burns were healing at record speed but he still felt self-conscious about his barely visible scars.

He would only wear long sleeve shirts especially around Liz. It was a small price to pay for saving her but he was still very embarrassed and vowed to never let her see them.

After reading several chapters of a romantic novel he found in Maria’s room he found himself only concentrating more on Liz.

He threw the book across the room frustrated by the fact that he couldn’t get her out of his mind.

She consumed his every thought, he was obsessed with what she saw in her dreams, with what made her cry out loud in the night.

Just when he was about to make his way downstairs to stare the television he heard her.

He put his hand on her door and watched as it shook with every soft moan and trembling indiscernible word.

Max rested his hand on the doorknob arguing with himself to do what he always did, which was listen to her quietly until it was over.

Suddenly her soft moans turned into a loud scream and a very clear call... for him.

“Max!”

His eyes grew wide as he burst threw the door and gazed down at her tear stained face.

She was looking up at him trembling hard with her arms out stretched for him.

He rushed to her side and wrapped his arms around her trapping her tight against his bare chest.

“It’s ok, you’re ok now.”

“I’ve got you Liz.”

“I’ve got you.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 3 1/28/09

Post by jake17 »

:D Thank you all for you wonderful fb.. I have to run to work...hope you enjoy this part!

chapter 4.

“Max, oh my god!”

A look of pure terror mixed with relief covered her sweaty face as she slid her hands around his waist and breathed him in.

Max stroked her hair and whispered against her ear trying his best to calm her.

“It was just a dream Liz.”

He shivered as she brushed her mouth against his bare chest.

“It’s the same dream. Over and over I have this nightmare Max. This horrible nightmare.”

“Shh it’s ok.”

“No it’s not.”

She back away from his warm skin and ran her thumb over the strong line of his jaw.

“It’s never going to go away Max… that night… the flames… how close we came. We’re never going to escape it are we?”

Max heart broke as he gazed into her watery eyes. He tucked her chocolate locks behind her ear and looked away not knowing what to say.

It was hard for him to think at all with her hands caressing his skin and the fast pace of her breathing.

“Oh god I’m so hot.”

He looked back at her as she ran her fingers threw her damp hair and lifted her shirt from her body leaving a white tank top behind.

Max averted his eyes and stood up, he was overwhelmed with the memory of their kiss. He desperately wanted reach for her and show her how much he cared.

Releasing a loud sigh Max walked to the window and lifted her blinds. He cracked her window allowing the night air to enter her room.

The light cool breeze tousled his hair over his eyes as he stared into the dark. He was completely unaware of her presence right behind him.

Bathed in moonlight Liz was able to see what he had been keeping from her for weeks.

His eyes widened as she lightly traced the ragged scars that ran from his wrist to the top of his well-defined biceps.

“Don’t.”

Ashamed he turned and walked towards the door pulling the blinds down along the way shutting out the pale light.

“Max wait.”

He stilled his movement gripping the doorknob in the hallway.

“Please... stay with me tonight. Maybe if you’re with me I won’t dream. Please Max, I don’t want to be alone.”

He disappeared from the darkness in silence leaving her to stare blankly at her bed.

“Lie down Liz.”

She raised her eyes in surprise when he appeared again this time wearing a long sleeve black shirt and carrying a blanket.

She smiled and nodded before climbing back into bed. She looked innocently back up at him as she pulled the covers over her chest.

Max scanned her room before walking to the corner and removing a pile of books from an old recliner.

“What are you doing?”

“I’ll be fine here Liz.”

Her voice was soft and pleading as she pulled half of her covers from the bed and gazed up at him.

“Please Max... will you just hold me?”

Nervously he scratched behind his ear before carefully sliding next to her.

Awkwardly she wrapped her arm around his waist and laid her head against his chest.

“Your heart is beating so fast Max.”

“I know...It does that from time to time now.”

“You don’t have to hide them from me.”

“What?”

“Your scars, you don’t have to hide from me Max.”

”They’re ugly.”

She raised her head and rested her chin on her hand watching as he looked back over towards the window.

“Nothing about you is ugly Max.”

His eyes snapped back to her startled by her words.

“You saved my life.”

“We saved each other.”

“Maybe... but you’re the one who paid the price. I’m so sorry Max.”

His voice was reduced to a soft whisper as his eyes fell to her parted lips.

“I’m not.”

Looking down she sighed and laid her head back onto him.

He wrapped his arms around her tighter smoothing his hands up and down her back lulling her to sleep. He wished he could hold her forever. This was the closest he had gotten to her since that faithful day. He was so confused at her sudden need to be near him, his heart raced with hope that maybe she felt the same as he did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well if you didn’t forget fill the gas tank maybe we wouldn’t have been stranded on the side of the road for two hours.”

“It wouldn’t have been so bad if you had remembered to charge the cell phone so we could’ve at least called for some help!”

Max rubbed his eyes as his hand reached over the empty half of the bed.

“Michael just leave me alone!”

He made his way down stairs searching for the source of all the screaming... and for Liz.

“Max what’s up? Don’t tell me you actually slept last night.”

Maria raised her hands to her hips and scowled at Michael.

“Nice job, he finally gets some rest and you wake him with your big mouth.”

“My big mouth?”

Maria cracked a smile at him unable to resist how cute he looked when he got all fired up

“Yes your big mouth.”

Within seconds Michael had his arms wrapped around her waist and was leading her into his bedroom.

“Excuse us Max I think Maria is ready to apologized for her behavior.”

Max collapsed in the couch and raked his hand threw his hair wishing his life had some sense of normalcy.

He had no idea what her disappearance meant, he wondered if she regretted having him stay with her. He lowered his head realizing that what she needed last night was comfort. That it had nothing to do with him at all.

Frustrated he turned the TV on and stared at the infomercial he had seen a hundred times.

He struggled with the feelings that kept making their way to the surface.

It was inescapable, he knew how he felt.

Question was did she feel the same.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 4 1/31/09

Post by jake17 »

Eve:thank you so much Eve! I love seeing you here! :D
Keepsmiling7: Carolyn Im so happy you like this, I love that you sympathize with them, thank you so much for your always sweet fb! :D
booboo:So happy to see you back! I hope you like this update!thank you! :D
Jan: My rock! I just love you! thank you for keeping my head above water! :D
destiny:I always love your fb destiny, esp. the last one u left for innocent intensions :wink: you are awesome!!
Clash868; wow im seriously honored that you feel that way! thank you so much! Please keep writing, your updates just make my day! :D
Lena: the fact that you even read my stuff amazes me Lena..thank you! :D
Ginger: i loved your fb, so true about the scars that people carry around, thank you so much for your complement :)
Monica: love seeing you here! thank you so much! :D

kristin loves angst and since this is her idea I'm throwing a bunch in.. miss you on the board sweetie!

Chapter 5.

“All I’m saying is I’m not going to cook if they’re too lazy to get their ass out of bed.”

“We’re up, we’re up!”

Maria looked down the hall at Kyle and Alex as they sleepily made their way into the kitchen.

“Mmm something smells good.”

“Damn you’re right Alex, what’s on the menu tonight Maria?”

“Her famous lasagna, and as soon as everyone’s home we can dig in.”

Michael slipped her oven mitts off her hands and danced her around the kitchen dipping her backwards so she was looking upside down at Max.

“Why do you look so happy? Did something happen today?”

Alex spoke up grinning at Max.

“Today was his evaluation.”

Michael pulled Maria back up and furrowed his eyebrows at Max.

“Evaluation for what?”

“To see if he’s ready to get back on the crew with us idiot.”

“Fuck it’s about time, don’t keep us in suspense Max what did the doc say?”

“He said they need me back to make sure you don’t trip over a hose and break your neck.”

They all erupted in laughter each taking turns congratulating him.

Kyle mumbled as he rubbed his eyes and rested his head on the table.

“These night shift are killing me, Maria I’m not sure who you’re waiting for Isabel’s still at her mom’s and Liz is on a date.”

“A date?”

Max looked up at Kyle showing more emotion then he wanted to.

Maria patted him on the shoulder while dishing some salad into his plate.

“Max I know you’ve been playing big brother to her, but this is a good thing. She needs to get out of this house and start living her life again.”

Max pushed his plate back as a feeling of unsettling nausea took over.

“I’m tired I’m going to lie down.”

Michael grabbed his plate and began shoving the food down mumbling between bites.

“What’s up with him?”

“He supposed to start back at work in a few days, it’s probably just nerves.”

Alex accepted Kyle’s explanation but secretly doubted that was the reason for Max’s sudden mood change.

Excusing himself he knocked on Max’s door.

“Yeah.”

“It’s me Alex, can I come in?”

“Sure.”

Alex sat on the floor next to Max who was sprawled out on the bed staring at the ceiling. He started to throw a football up in the air wondering how he was going to broach the subject of Liz.

“So Liz is on a date.”

“Yep.”

“Does that bother you?”

Max continued his fixation on the swirl pattern of the ceiling as his jaw clenched.

“Why would it bother me?”

“Max did something happen the night of the fire?”

Max sighed as he sat up and lowered his head into his hands. His voice was quiet but his need to talk quite obvious.

“How did you know?”

“The way you two act around each other it doesn’t take a genius to put it together. I just happen to live in a house of fourth graders so I'm the only one who notices these things.”

“She kissed me.”

The football hit Alex in the head when he turned to look at Max in shock.

“I see.”

“It wasn’t just a kiss Alex.”

“What do you mean.”

“There was more behind it, I felt it, I saw it in her eyes.”

“But she’s on a date.”

“I know.”

Alex thought for a minute before throwing the football back up in the air.

“You know I’ve read about these situations before. Sometimes when people are in these life and death circumstances they get a little crazy, do things they normal wouldn’t do.”

“That's not what it was.”

"Well what was it like?"

"I don't know, but whatever it was I can't let it go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

It was one am when Max heard the front door close. He fought his need to go down stairs and confront her. They weren’t dating, he wasn’t her boyfriend, Liz had every right to go out with who ever she wanted.

He said this over and over as he fell to the ground and started doing push ups to relieve his tension. He could hear the girls talking down stairs and figured they were going over Liz’s night with her new guy. Jealousy ripped threw him as he strained his muscles lifting his body up and down as a thin sheen of sweat glistened off of his bare chest.

Suddenly he heard a small knock before the door cracked open.

Liz whispered before stepping into the dark room. Her eyes were locked on his body as beads of sweat trickled down the ridges of his stomach. She was lost for a second on what she wanted to talk to him about.

“Can I talk to you?”

Max quickly reached for his shirt giving her a stoic glare.

“What is it I’m tired.”

“Maria told me.”

“Told you what?”

“About your evaluation.”

“It's no big deal.”

She looked down and shuffled her feet uncomfortably reacting to his icy demeanor.

“You’re not ready.”

He stood up coming very close to her face and shook his head as if he didn’t understand what she said.

“What?”

“You’re not ready.”

“I need to get on with my life Liz…just like you.”

“What does that mean?”

“How was your date?”

Liz sighed and looked down at the ground unable to keep eye contact.

“We’re talking about you Max, I mean what if there’s a fire and you have to run in and save someone. You mean to tell me you’re not going to have a problem walking into a situation similar to what happened to us?”

“Are you saying I would put someone’s life in danger?”

“No! I’m just worried about you.”

Max scoffed and opened the door for her to leave.

“You didn’t answer my question how was your date?”

She whispered as walked into the hallway worried about hurting his feelings.

“Max I never said we were... I mean we’re friends, good friends-

“Friends.”

“Yeah, I feel like we’ve become really close in the past few weeks.”

“I have an early day tomorrow Liz, I need to get some sleep.”

“Right.”

Max shut the door behind him as the words 'friends' continually worked its way through his gut.

He collapsed in his bed laying awake for most of the night reliving their conversation.

Around four am just as he was drifting to sleep the door to his room burst open.

Before he could fully awake Liz was in his arms sobbing.

Max pulled her into his chest and raised the covers over as she continued to cry.

He stroked her hair and kissed her temple as she whispered into his wet shirt.

“Max I’m so scared, please hold me …please.”

“Another nightmare?”

Her voice cracked as he gently wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“Yes, the same nightmare.”

His low soothing voice only made her trembly more as the terrible images played out in her mind.

“Liz what do you keep dreaming about?”

She hesitated for a minute before looking back into his soft amber eyes.

“It’s you Max. Night after night I dream of you. The fire is so hot, the flames so high and out of control and then your gone. You just disappear and I'm all alone. Please Max don’t go back, tell me you wont go back to work.”

“Liz.”

His heart began to pound as she lowered her eyes to his lips and breathed out his name.

“Max.”
Last edited by jake17 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 6 2/26/09

Post by jake17 »

thank you so much everyone for your very sweet fb! :D

Chapter 6

“Liz I don’t understand –

Before he could finish his sentence her lips were brushing slowly against his mouth. Part of him wanted to pull away worried that she was just searching for comfort. There had to be an explanation to her erratic behavior and as much as he wanted to believe this what she wanted his insecurities flooded his mind.

Feeling her soft tongue part his lips urgently his need for her overruled rational thought.

He gently laced his hands through her hair and passionately kissed her back.

He poured all of his emotions into her opening himself up feeling at last that she was accepting that there was something more… that maybe it was even love.

He swallowed her soft moans as he held her close to her chest…just like that terrible night …it was magic. He knew this was something she could not turn her back on or ignore.

Suddenly the door flew open and the harsh hall light filtered into the dark room causing Liz to quickly move off the bed.

“Liz? Is that you?”

“Michael? Sorry I just had a dream and I was talking it over with Max. I’ll leave you to your room.”

“Liz wait-

“Max it’s late you need your sleep. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Michael leaned up against the door and watched as Liz nervously shuffled past him with her eyes directed everywhere but in his direction.

He watched her disappear into her room and then turned towards Max with his arms crossed in front of him.

“What was that all about?”

“Why aren’t you with Maria?”

“She keeps hogging the blankets and snoring …we’re you and Liz um…

Max stood from his bed and brushed by him shaking his head. “She had a dream.”

“Ok.”

Max stood outside of Liz’s door with his hand resting on the wood ready to knock when he heard her quietly crying inside.

Slowly he turned the knob but it was locked.

“Liz open the door.” Max softy whispered resting his forehead against the wall.

“Go away Max please. I need to be alone.”

Max closed his eyes in frustration and made his way down stairs to the couch that he had become so accustomed to.

For hours he stared at the screen while replaying her kiss over and over in his mind. He wanted to break down her door, shake her, wake her up to the fact that they had something...something real.

~~~~~~~~~

“Do you eat all my cereal Kyle?”

“Oh yeah sorry, here eat mine.”

Michael slammed the granola cereal on table watching as the flakes flew up in the air.

“I don’t eat that healthy crap! You know that, I’m sick of you and Alex bringing all this healthy food in here, you always end up eating my stuff and I get stuck with the fruit and yogurt hippie garbage.”

“It’s not hippie garbage Michael.”

“It’s rabbit food and I hate it.”

Max put his pillow over his head to try drown out the noise coming from the kitchen.

“Hey are you awake?”

He opened one eye to see Alex at the door getting ready to leave.

“Like anyone could sleep with Michael and his constant complaining.”

“Yeah well besides his complaining he had something very interesting to tell everyone this morning.”

Max sighed and sat up feeling more awake now.

“What did he say?”

“Nothing much … just that he walked in on you and Liz making out.”

“Shit.”

“So it’s true?”

“I don’t know what’s going on. She came into my room started talking about a nightmare that she’s been having and then…

“She laid one on you.”

“Alex.”

“Sorry I was channeling Kyle for a minute.”

Alex sat by Max on the couch and fumbled with his keys.

“Did she tell you what these nightmares were about.”

“There about me.”

“She’s dreaming about you … that sounds encouraging.”

“No…not like that, she’s having a recurring nightmare that I get killed in the fire. She asked me not to go back to work.”

“I see.”

“What?”

“Well it sounds like she’s scared for you, you know still traumatized by that night. Maybe the kiss came out of …concern for you.”

“Alex is that insane to think that she may have feelings for me?”

“Well no of course not…it’s just…

“What?”

“Max she left early this morning with that guy she went out with last night. She’s spending the weekend with him. Something about visiting friends of hers or something …I got half of the story from Michael who got it from Maria…so I don’t know if all the details are right”

“What?”

“I’m sorry. Max she’s screwed up. This has nothing to do with you.”

Max grabbed his sneakers and ran out the door in an attempt to run off his anger and frustration.

He felt his lips as the pain rose up in his chest, she was trying to escape that night …what happened between them, and she was doing it in the arms of another man.

“You’re wrong Alex it has everything to do with me.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 6 2/26/09

Post by jake17 »

thank you everyone for your very sweet fb!

I've got a horrible migraine but I promised to write an update for someone's special day today... so excuse all my mistakes..

Michelle 17, Courtney this is for you!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!!!

chapter 7.

For the next day and a half Max spent every moment thinking of Liz.

He kept himself busy getting ready for his first day back at work, constantly working out, getting his gear ready but it didn’t help.

He wanted to know what she was doing and who she was doing it with but most of all he wanted to know why.

Why was it him she chose to run to at night and why at the moment she was in another man’s arms.

It was Saturday and he wasn’t due back to work till Tuesday but when the phone call came that half the force was out with the flu and he was needed Max was more than happy to go back early.

The half that was sick included his roommates and friends that were lying in bed moaning for poor Maria and Isabel.

Exhausted Maria was stirring her homemade chicken soup when Kyle was the first to yell from his bedroom.

“Maaria! Isabel!”

Maria looked wearily back to Isabel and pointed.

“Your turn.”

Rolling her eyes the blonde with little sympathy grabbed some orange juice and aspirin and headed towards his room.

“Oh thank god-

“Here now go to sleep, I swear it’s like you big tough firemen turn into babies when you get a little cold.”

In a combination of a wine and a moan Alex raised his hand up towards her as he laid in the bed next to Kyle.

“I’m so thirsty… and I think I have a fever.”

“Oh you’ve got to be kidding me.”

At that moment a loud bellowing noise echoed through the house.

“Maaria.”

In a less than sweet nightingale voice Maria more or less told him to shut up or he’d be wearing the soup instead of drinking it.

Max laughed as he stepped out of the shower listening to his buddies terrorize the girls.

Wiping the steam off the mirror he dried himself off and wrapped the towel around his waist.

As he reached for the shaving cream he froze as he looked at his image in the mirror.

Up to this point he felt many emotions about going back to work. None of them had been fear, but as he gazed over the scars that lined his arms flashes of that night flickered in his mind.

Suddenly his heart began to pound and the room started spinning. Holding onto the bathroom sink he lowered his head and closed his eyes.

‘You can do this Max ….you can do this.’

Within a few moments everything began to subside and he pushed the incident away trying to pretend like it never happened.

He needed this job. It was what defined him without it he would feel lost and worthless.

He convinced himself that it was just nerves and continued to get ready.

Max managed to slip by everyone not wanting to hear a bunch of worried warnings and empathetic encouragements.

Liz sat laid in bed at the Rolling acres bed and breakfast and stared at the ceiling.

The man lying next to her snoring was nice enough and he was complete gentleman when she explained bout her headache and how she just wasn’t in the mood but it didn’t help.

She had had her nightmare again and was shaking longing to be in Max’s arms.

Turning to her side she tried to fight back the tears as the image of Max lost to her played out in her mind.

For the first time she wondered if these feelings were more than her fear of the fire…of the night.

All at once memories flooding her mind of all the times he was there for her.

Sitting up in bed it hit her that it wasn’t that she was afraid of the fire. It was him she was afraid of or her feelings she had for him.

Quietly she got dressed and packed her things. She knew this was horrible but she couldn’t wait another second before telling him how she felt.

Even though she wasn’t even sure what that meant.

Leaving a note at the front desk Liz jumped in a cab and headed home.

With everything she had done she was unsure if he would even talk to her but she had to try.

Max sat at the table in the firehouse and looked up at the clock.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder Captain Valenti sat beside him and poured him some coffee.

“You realize this is against my better judgment right?”

“Captain-

“And if anything should occur I want you handling the truck, you are not going near the rescue crew that’s understood right?”

Before Max could answer the blaring alarm echoed through the firehouse and Max ran for his gear.

“I’m serious Max, listen to me or your ass will be in a sling.”

As they pulled up to the burning house flames were shooting from every window but one. A family stood outside with their arms wrapped around each other screaming and pointing towards the house.

“Molly! Molly still inside!”

The father grabbed Max by his jacket and looked him in the eyes as only a desperate man could and begged him to save his baby.

Slipping on his oxygen Mask Max nodded and ran past everyone including the Captain who was busy surveying the situation.

As Max entered the house he was blind from the billowing black smoke.

Feeling his way up the stairs he reached the top ignored all communications from the crew that was instructing everyone to leave, that the house was structurally unsafe.

Calling out for the four year old he felt for the walls searching for her door when he heard a loud crack.

He looked up long enough to see the ceiling bust open.

~~~~~~~~~

Resting her head against the seat of the cab she listen to the many calls over the police scanner that the cab driver was listening to.

As she approached her house she heard that there was a large fire in the boys district.

She sighed with relief that Max was safe as she entered the house.

Her relief was short lived as she looked around at all the worried faces.

“That’s it I’m going down there I can’t sit here anymore. It’s my fault he’s even there tonight.”

Michael grabbed his coat and was quickly joined by Alex and Kyle as they ran out of the house.

“What’s going on?”

Maria and Isabel stared at the floor neither of them able to tell Liz what was happening.

“Maria where’s Max.”

“Liz it’s going to be ok.”

“Maria tell me!”

Isabel looked up at Liz in tears and flat out told her.

“Max is there …in the fire Liz. The ceiling came threw and they’ve lost all communication. That’s all we know.”

“No!”

Liz screamed as she grabbed her keys and ran out he door.

Her worst fears were being realized as she sped down the street crying.

Max was in danger…Max was lost.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 8 5/16/09

Post by jake17 »

Courtney
destiny
LilLoucfer
Carolyn x3
Clash
darkmoon
Eve
ginger
Jan x3
kismet

Thank you so much for all your very sweet fb!!!

This update is dedicated to my good friend Monica (Hunter) It's her birthday today!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!!

Chapter 8.

Slowly Max gained consciousness when he heard the faint voice of his Captain yelling through his radio.

“Max god damn it answer me! I need your location!”

Through the thick black smoke he could hardly see anything. Horrible pain ripped threw his back and legs as he attempted to move.

Reaching his hands down to the sides he could feel the heavy beam that was across his back keeping him flat on his stomach.

His voice was weak but urgent as he reached for the button on his radio.

“Captain I couldn’t get the little girl, get a ladder up her bedroom-

“Max! We got her the parents didn’t know she was already in an ambulance…she’s safe.”

Max rested his head on the floor in relief knowing that the four year old was ok.

“Thank god …thank god.”

“Max please this is very important, tell me your location.”

Struggling to speak against his intense pain Max took a deep breath barely getting his words out.

“Second floor…hallway.”

Michael threw his helmet on the ground and punched the side of the fire truck. Grabbing the captain by his coat he pleaded to let him go in.

“I can do it! You know I can! Let me go!”

With nineteen years on the force Captain Valenti had seen everything still it didn’t make his decision any easier. The words crawled up his throat in sorrow,

“No one goes in. That’s an order.”

“Dad! You can’t let this happen we can get him out!”

“I’m not loosing any more men Kyle! No one goes in!”

Running his hand threw what little hair he had left Jim walked away from everyone and began to talk to Max again.

“Max can you make it to the back bedroom window?”

“No, I can’t move. Part of the ceiling came down, There’s a beam …I’m trapped …can’t move.”

Jim released the button before a string of curse words left his mouth.

He looked upon all the firemen as family but the young one’s he saw as his own kids.

“Ok Max don’t move…were assessing the damage right now…just sit tight.”

“Boss?”

“Yeah Max?”

“I’m sorry, I should’ve come to you before rushing in …j-just promise me you won’t risk anyone’s life to come and get me. This was my fault…my fault.”

“Evans-

“Promise me!”

“Max just sit tight …you think this is the first time some smart ass rookie disobeyed me? I’m getting you out so don’t even think about giving up! Just don’t move…don’t move Max.”

Max nodded as he released the button and laid his head back on the ground. He could feel the heat from the fire begin to melt the bottom of his boots. He knew he was in trouble. Closing his eyes he tried to remember the prayers he learned in Sunday school as a child.

He wasn’t a religious guy but when your facing death it’s amazing how much you feel the need to believe that someone is out there looking after you.

The boys stood quiet when they saw the girls arrive.

Liz frantically ran up to Michael demanding to know what was going on.

“Did you get him Michael? Where is he? Where is he Michael!”

No words let his mouth as he motion over to the house the spilled with flames at every window.

“H-He’s still in there?”

Alex rested him hands on her arms trying hard to comfort her threw his own tears.

“Liz he’s hurt …he can’t move…the house… it’s too dangerous… no one can go in. I’m so sorry.”

Liz ran over to Jim in desperation.

“Please you have to let someone get him! You can’t just leave him in there!”

Kyle rushed over to her and grabbed her by the shoulders to lead her away.

“He’s trying Liz… we have to get the fire under control first before we can send the ladder back up to the second floor.”

“It’s going to be too late! Kyle what if it’s too-

Suddenly she became very calm. Nodding slowly she broke away from Kyle’s grip and walked up to Jim.

“Can I talk to him…please.”

Kyle butt in before Jim could respond helping her make her case.

“Dad she could keep him alert …it’s worth a try.”

Breathing out a sigh of disapproval Jim reluctantly handed the radio over to Liz.

“Press this button release it when your done and you’ll hear him talk.”

Liz nodded as her shaky finger pressed the button down.

“Max?”

“Max can you hear me? It’s liz.”

Coughing Max opened his burning eyes.

“Liz?”

Her heart sank as she heard his whispered voice.

Words fell from his mouth. Words that he needed to say, before it was too late.

“I-I love you Liz…I always have …and I –

Tears spilled from her eyes as the radio went dead.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 9 6/27/09

Post by jake17 »

LiLoucfer: Don't worry it's not over yet :wink: thanks so much for being here! :D
Monica: thank you sweetie for your awesome fb! And congradualtions on becoming a Mod. sweetie!! :D
Kismet: Wow you are so right what you said in your fb! I loved it thank you!! :D
Natalie: omg I made you cry! Yay! I mean not yay that you cried but yay that you felt for Liz and Max...you know what I mean :lol: thanks Natatlie!
destiny: I know I'm cruel but I always make up for it destiny :wink: :twisted: thanks so much! :D
Eve: I am bad! :twisted: :lol: thanks so much for the fb sweetie! :D
Michelle17: Courtney! you'll have to wait and find out if Max dies :wink: but thanks so much for being here!! :D
Keepsmiling: hmm Caroyln I think we find out in this chapt if he gets saved or not. :wink: thank you as always for being here! :D
Ms_BuffyAnneSummers: :lol: I love all the bumps! so happy you want more!thank you!! :D
POM: So happy you "love" this!! made my day! thank you! :D
L-J-L76: Hi sweetie!! Thank you so much for your great fb!! :D
Ginger: :lol: that did suck! I agree! Your so funny ginger! thanks so much for being here! :D
Jan: :lol: omg you kill me .. I bet you would dress up as a fireman and go save him jan! love you being here!! thank you!! :D
angelina: sorry for the long wait! hope you enjoy this! thank you so much sweetie I hope your doing fine too! :D
RoswellianBamaFan: So so happy you love this! thanks so much for being here! Oh and thanks to killjoy I know what Roll tide is! :lol: bet you can't wait till the fall! :wink:
behr_able: So happy you want me to come back with this! thank you! :D

Ok everyone I just want to say that I am not a fireman nor do I know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, really only what I've seen in movies. So when you read this next part keep in mind that I did my best even if it's not exactly realistic or not exactly what firemen would do in this situation. Romance is my thing not action so please be gentle :oops: :wink: :)

thanks again for all your support and a special thanks to Kristin (dreamer19) for giving me the idea for this story to begin with :wink:

Chapter 9.

Liz called out his name several times while tears welled up in her eyes. This couldn’t be happening she couldn’t lose the only man she had ever loved.

The boys stood around staring down at the ground feeling helpless hearing silence on the other end of the radio.

Michael paced back and forth literally pounding his head for a solution. Max was the closest friend he had ever had, in fact he was more like a brother than anything else. He had his whole life ahead of him he couldn’t let him go out this way.

Suddenly he stopped and looked back up at the house.

Quickly he ran over to the father of the little girl who was sitting in the ambulance.

Pulling the oxygen mask off the man Michael urgently began to ask him about the floor plan of the house.

Clearly irritated the guy returned his mask back over his nose and waved Michael away.

“Everyone’s out guy, do you mind? I can hardly breathe; I’m not up for answering questions. The whole damn house is gone; it’s the insurance company’s headache now.”

Michael fisted the man’s shirt and shoved him up against the wall of the ambulance.

“Listen asshole! There’s a fireman trapped in your house and he’s there because he was saving your daughter! We may have only minutes to get him out before the whole house comes down! Either you start answering my questions or –

Jim heard Michael and quickly ran over to him grabbing him by the jacket and pulling him backwards.

“Guerin this isn’t helping anything!”

Michael turned towards him in a panic.

“Captain I have an idea! Look at the house, Max said he was in the hallway leading to the kids bedroom. Look at the window!”

Jim looked up at the window and the giant flames that were raging despite the constant pressure of the hose.

“Yeah so?”

Michael turned back towards the father again and asked him what the closest room was next to that back bedroom.

“Well there isn’t really, there’s another bedroom but it’s on the other side of the house. There’s just a long hallway that connects the two.”

“And that’s where Max is!”

Jim shook his head in frustration not seeing where he was going with this.

“Ok this whole time we’ve been talking to him on the radio he only mentioned heavy smoke in the hallway. Maybe the fire is contained in the bedrooms and in the attic. If we raise the ladder between both bedrooms and smash threw the wall maybe we can get him out.”

Jim stood there for a moment staring at the house and shook his head.

“No it’s too dangerous, we lost communication with him, we have no idea where the fire is now. We could injure him by knocking down the wall or worse. We'd be going in blind...it's too risky”

Michael put his arm around Jim and pulled him off to the side out of everyone’s earshot.

“Captain if Max isn’t able to talk to us he’s either passed out from the smoke or the fire’s got him, if we do nothing he’ll be dead soon if he's not already. Please! We have to at least try!”

Jim sighed and looked into Michael’s eyes in attempt to recognize whether he was running on pure emotion or if he could really do this.

“Come on Chief!”

When Jim failed to answer him Michael smiled and yelled back at the boys.

“Alex! Move the ladder to the middle of the second floor! Kyle follow me, when I get him I'm going to hand him down to you!”

Seeing that there was no time to question his actions the boys quickly followed his orders.

Alex did his best to direct the ladder to the dead center of the house while Kyle quickly followed Michael up the ladder. By the time they reached the top Kyle looked up at Michael and screamed over the roar of the flames.

“Ok what now?”

Michael raised his axe high in the air and with a crazed look in his eyes he winked at Kyle and yelled.

“Now we get Max the hell out of there!”

Using all the strength he had Michael was able to give four damaging blows ripping a fairly large hole into the house.

Thick black smoke billowed out immediately causing both of them to stumble backwards almost loosing their footing on the ladder.

“Ok Kyle I'm going in, be ready when I pull him out, I think we only have seconds!”

Michael still wielding his axe jumped into the house and placed his oxygen mask over his face.

Everyone began to scream and point at the house as the far side of the roof started to cave in.

Maria and Isabel buried their faces in their hands unable to look while LIz stared up at them with blind faith that they would pull Max from the house.

Jim pulled out his bullhorn and gave Kyle a direct order.

“Get out now Kyle! The roof is starting to go!! Get Michael the hell out of there!! NOW!!”

Kyle heard the crack of the wood but stood firm ignoring his father.

“Michael hurry! The roof is coming down there isn’t much time!”

Inside the house Michael was completely blind. The smoke was too thick to see. Getting down on his hands and knees he felt around until he found the gloved hand of his friend.

“Max!”

Dropping his axe he found the beam that was crushing Max’s back and with little effort was able to push it off of him.

Feeling for a pulse on his neck he found that he was unconscious but still breathing.

Suddenly the ceiling split in two and began to cave in, fiery debris from the attic came crashing down all around them.

With only seconds to spare Michael lifted Max over his shoulders and struggled with all his might back to the window.

Handing him off to Kyle Michael yelled at him to take him down.

“Go! Go! Get out of here I’m right behind you!”

An emergency crew was waiting at the bottom of the ladder with a stretcher. They immediately began working on Max as they quickly loaded him into the ambulance.

“I’ve got no pulse! begin CPR!”

That was the last words that were heard as the sirens blared down the street to St. Mary’s Hospital.

Kyle expecting to see Michael right behind him ran back up the ladder to find Michael looking all around just inside the window.

“My axe I can’t find my axe!”

Kyle looked up just in time to see the roof right over Michael’s head buckle.

“Fuck your Axe!”

Just in time he grabbed onto Michael’s coat and pulled him out of the window. Loosing their balance they both went tumbling down to the ground.

Mass confusion erupted as the house completely caved in on itself.

People were running and screaming as several more fire engines and emergency vehicles finally arrived on the scene.

The girls ran over to the guys as they laid motionless in the grass.

Liz on the other hand was directly in back of the ambulance that was carrying Max to the hospital.

Crying and praying her white knuckles clutched the steering wheel.

“God please don’t take him from me!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three days later

Rain came down in sheets as the girls dressed in black stood with umbrellas in the cool morning air.

Looking down at the freshly overturned dirt and the marker that bared his beloved name, Michael was not ashamed to cry as he stood in his dress uniform. With a broken leg and arm from the fall his stood with crutches as he said goodbye to his friend that had been loyal to him for years.

Isabel started to laugh and was quickly elbowed by a very serious Maria.

Rolling her eyes she whispered into her friends ear.

“Maria it’s a freakin axe! Do we really have to stand out here in the rain to attend a funeral for a tool?”

“Shh! Maria waved Isabel off and gave her a dirty look. “Listen if I have to be out here we all have to be out here.”

“What about Liz? I don’t see her standing here like a fool watching Michael cry over his trusty hatchet!”

“Liz is at the hospital visiting Max …she’s excused.”

“Lucky her!” Everyone turned to Kyle that was moaning in his wheel chair.

“Hey if anyone cares Man with a broken pelvis here! Can someone please get me out of this rain!”

Michael glared at Kyle for a second and turned back around to the freshly dug grave. “It’s because of you that we’re here! I was reaching for butch when you pulled me out of the damn window and threw me two floors down to the ground chucklehead!”

Isabel held her hand over her eyes and groaned. “Did I hear him right? Did he just call his axe Butch?”

A collective sigh could be heard in the back yard as everyone began to file back into the house.

All but Kyle and Michael stayed to argue about who saved whose life and who was responsible for the ultimate death of Butch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz sat in an orange plastic chair right beside Max’s bed. In fact she had been in this chair for three whole days waiting for the moment when Max would finally wake up.

Hearing the familiar scribbling of the doctor writing on his clipboard Liz looked up and waited for any new news.

She was given the same pacifying grin that she had endured for the past three days.

“Liz there’s no permanent damage we just have to be patient and wait for the swelling to go down around his brain. He’s actually very lucky. With the amount of smoke he ingested, the block of ceiling that fell on his head, his severe burns plus his back he's coming along much better then we expected.”

“So?”

“Liz I could say it slower if you like but the news is the same. This is just something we have to wait out. Have patience Liz, why don’t you go shopping with your friends get your mind off of this for a while. You haven’t left the hospital since he came in, go do some girly things, take a break, he’s not going anywhere.”

Liz nodded and waited for the doctor to leave the room before raising her middle finger in his direction.

Her eyes widened when a scratchy soft voice whispered behind her.

“Wow Liz I didn’t think you had it in you, and to a doctor no less.”

Liz quickly turned around to see Max smiling up at her.

“Max!”

Tears of joy spilled over her cheeks as she flung herself onto his chest and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Oh my god I was so worried …how do you feel? Are you in pain? Should I get the nurse? I should get the nurse!”

Max smiled widely at her and gently grabbed her arm preventing her from taking off.

“Wait... hold on a second. Come closer …I just want to look at you before the nurses come in and start poking me with sharp things and taking my temperature.”

Slowly he pulled her down so she was practically lying on his chest.

“Max wait …I don’t want to hurt you.”

One side of his mouth curled upwards as he brushed a stray hair from her pink lips.

“Liz the only way you could hurt me right now is if you pull away.”

Confused Liz furrowed her eyes brows. “Pull away Max?”

“Yeah…from this.”

The room became all hazy and suddenly she felt very light headed as he caressed her cheek and pulled her in for a slow passionate long kiss.

Slowly he pulled back while brushing his thumb over her bottom lip.

“So you’ve been here for the whole three days?”

Her eyes narrowed as she glared back at him skeptically.

“Exactly how long have you been awake Max?”

His eyes grew serious as he rested her forehead against his.

“It doesn’t matter Liz ...what matters is how you feel about me.”

“Max you’ve been out for days I really need to call the doctor.”

Suddenly he felt very weak as the rush of seeing her began to wear off, and the pain from his many injuries became more intense.

"Yeah maybe you should get the doctor...I just... well what I said before I passed out...on the radio... forget it Liz we'll talk later."

Half way out the door Liz looked back into his sweet eyes and smiled.

“I love you too Max.”
Last edited by jake17 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: The Fire Within (AU,M/L,Adult) chpt 10 7/23/09

Post by jake17 »

destiny: :lol: loved how you called me a heartless wench! :lol: loved that I was able to trick you! :wink: your the best! thank you so much for your awesome fb! :D
ginger: :lol: omg you crack me up so much ginger!!! you are right no sig. is required with your fb! thank you so much for being here! :D
darkmoon: yes I am evil :twisted: :wink: and you love me for it! so hope you like this! love you!! thank you!! :D
behr_able; loved that you liked the funeral! thanks so much for your fb! :D
LilLoucfer: loved that you find this funny! thank you so much for your sweet fb!! :D
caroyln: love that you see this as a rollercoaster ride! loveyour fb as always! thank you! :D
angelina: thank you for forgiving me :wink: love you being here! thank you! :D
Jan: omg as always your fb made me laugh my ass off! your the greatest! thank you so much! :D
Eve:of course this wouldn't be the same without you here! thank you!! :D
MsBuffyAnneSummers: Love that you liked Butch :wink: always love your fb! thank you! :D
Monica: So happy you thought this was funny! thank you sweetie :D
Courtney: SO happy you love this!! thank you so much for lettting me know! :D
roswells_angel285: omg your fb almost made me cry, needed to hear that in the worst way.. thank you so so much..you are very sweet :D
Kismet: love that I made u feel all those emotions! thank you so much for being her! I so appreciate this! :D

Chapter 10.

Three months later Max was finally discharged from the hospital. Liz was a constant presence most of the time only leaving once a day for a couple of hours to shower and change.

She did everything she could to help him through his many excrusiating skin grafts and painful daily therapy sessions.

She spent endless nights helping him through his recovery. She was always thinking of ways to make him as comfortable as possible, giving him constant support, always being there so he wouldn't have to face any of it alone.

And this day was no exception.

The house was in a flurry getting ready for his big arrival. His friends planned a huge welcome home party.

Maria and Isabel were busy getting all the food ready while Michael and Kyle did their part by setting up porno's in the DVD player and making sure there were plenty of alcoholic beverages in the basement.

Alex was at the door greeting all the guests, which included the entire fire department.

Standing at the top of the stairs Maria sighed as she lowered her head and rested her body up against the wall.

Echo’s of a young woman moaning made its way up the stairs as Maria gripped the bowl of potato salad in frustration.

“Seriously Michael is this what you call helping? You do realize this is a welcome home party not a stag!”

Without looking back Michael carefully arranged his array of erotic cinema in order of importance, hot lesbian lovin being number one on the viewing schedule.

“Maria you put me in charge of the entertainment, I’ve done my job now leave me be woman!”

Pinching the spot between her eyes that always seem to give her an intense pain when Michael took matters into his own hands Maria lowered her voice with shaky patience.

“Kyle would you be so kind as to make sure no children wander down here during your little smut fest.”

Kyle turned his wheelchair in her direction and lifted his beer up towards her.

“Will do Maria! You can count on me, unlike some people I know that live in this house.”

No sooner did he get his sentence out did he find a crutch slammed against his head.

Maria quickly closed the door and rested her back against it while a stream of curse words and loud sounds rose from the bottom floor.

Looking up at Alex and Isabel she started to panic.

“Maybe Liz was right maybe a party was not the best idea. Shit we should’ve listened to her. Max hates being the center of attention plus it’s his first day back.”

Isabel slowly sat at the kitchen table as a large crowd began to file in the door.

“Oh my god Alex she’s right! Why did we let Michael talk us into this!”

Alex walked up to Maria and took the bowl out of her hands and sat her down next to Isabel putting his arms around them both.

“I know Max, no matter if he’s in the mood for this or not he will definitely appreciate all the work you girls put into this. He’ll love it! I mean how often does everyone get together to celebrate you being alive! Don't worry It will be great!”

Secretly he realized Max would hate it and wondered if the girls bought a word he was saying.

Kissing them both on the cheek Alex made his way to the door to play the polite host again.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh shit!”

Carefully lowering his legs to the ground Liz winced as Max gripped her shoulder in obvious pain.

“I’m so sorry!”

Smiling warmly at her he took a deep breath and put his arm around her.

“You didn’t hurt me Liz …you could never hurt me.”

Giving him a nervous smile she began buzzing around the room checking all the drawers making sure they had everything.

“Liz it’s ok, please stop worrying I’m alright. I’m just a little stiff is all.”

She glanced down at the white gauze bandages that covered his arms up to his entire back and neck, wondering to herself just how bad his burns were. He was admimant about making her leave the room when the nurse had to tend his wounds. He made sure she never saw his scars

Pretending not to notice what she was doing Max pushed the wheels on the chair directing it towards the door and into Julie the waiting nurse.

“Going somewhere Max?”

With a handsome grin he sat back and held his hands up in the air.

“Without the pleasure of your company? Never!”

Shaking her head she looked up at Liz who was throwing his duffle bag over her shoulder and placing all the flowers on a cart.

“You better watch out for this one he’s got danger written all over him!”

Pushing the cart towards the door Liz began to laugh. “Believe me Julie I’m the last one you have to tell that to. I’m just so grateful that life is all behind him now.”

Max tightened his hands on the arms of the wheel chair and looked down at the ground. As nurse Julie pushed him down the hall to Liz’s waiting car she instructed her on how to take care of his injuries. Max just stared ahead while he searched his mind trying to remember if at any time he misled Liz into thinking he was quitting the department.

Trying to relax as they drove he decided to deal with that issue when the time came. For some reason coming home was more tramatic than he had anticipated. Being in the burn unit he was surrounded by people who were like him, who understood him.

He worried about how his friends would see him now, he especially worried about Liz. He wondered if she would ever see him as a man and not someone to be pitied or taken care of. The very thought of it made him sick.

Watching the houses and trees fly by Max was deep in thought and completely exhausted by a particularly grueling therapy session that morning.

“Max? You alright?”

Listening to him breathe deeply she could tell he was in pain even though he nodded and took her hand in his.

“I’m fine just over due for my pain medication I think.”

Liz squeezed his hand and looked straight ahead feeling deep inside that there was much more troubling him than pain of the physical sense.

“Don’t worry we’ll be home soon, just be thankful that I talked them out of a huge party like-

Liz became suddenly silent as they turned the corner to find both sides of the street packed with cars.

“Oh my god they didn’t”

Liz gave him a nervous smile as she turned into the driveway parking under the sign “Welcome Home Max!”

“I am not going in there Liz, turn the car around and get me out of here!”

Just then Michael and Kyle came out of the garage pushing and fighting for position to be the first one to greet their friend.

Just as Kyle was about to open the door handle Michael pulled him backwards sending him careening down the driveway but not before Kyle grabbed onto one of Michaels crutches causing him to tumble onto the ground.

Max laughed as he grabbed for his bag and opened the door. “well I see nothing has changed since I’ve been gone.”

Within seconds Liz was right by his side pulling his bag from his hands.

“You shouldn’t be carrying anything you’ve got to be careful your bones are still healing.”

Max looked around at the large crowd that had gathered to greet him.

He struggled with her until he got the bag back and proceeded to limp towards the front door while murmuring under his breath.

“Liz I’m fine I wish you would stop fussing over me.”

Pretty quickly Liz shrugged off his tone chalking it up to being tired and overwhelmed with the surprise party. Still something nagged at her telling her it was something more.

The party lasted well into the night with an entirely bombed Michael and Kyle telling the story of how they defied orders and rescued Max, many times over to whoever would listen.

Isabel, Alex and Maria sat on the couch with the rest of the crowd marveling at how each time they repeated the story the flames became higher and their lives more in peril.

Liz spend most of the night helping the girls from letting the house get completely destroyed but she always managed to check in on him from time making sure he had his meds and was comfortable.

Around two am when the last of the guests had driven away Liz began to search the house for Max.

Peaking in all the bedrooms she only found her friends who were fast asleep, even Michael was curled up with his stuffed Dalmatian puppy smoky.

Softly she whispered his name as she made her way through the house.

“Max?”

She stopped suddenly when she heard a faint voice coming from the basement.

“Down here.”

Opening the basement door she peaked down the steps to see Max sitting on the couch in the dark with just he moonlight to light his solemn face.

“Max? What are you doing down here? Do you need something? Are you in pain? Do you want me to get your medicine?”

Closing his eyes he shook his head sighed.

Cautiously Liz made her way down the steps and sat beside him.

“Sorry, you know I don’t mean to come off as Florence nightingale on steroids, I just …well I worry…about you.”

Max chuckled softy and stared down at the floor.

“Max what’s wrong? Please talk to me.”

Several minutes passed by before Max turned away from her and looked up at the narrow window and the stars that shimmered high in the sky.

After several attempts at trying to get the words out he leaned back onto the couch and stared straight ahead.

“It’s nothing forget it.”

Worry again filled her heart as she felt just how painful whatever it was that was troubling him.

Carefully she touched his chin forcing him to look at her.

“Max please you know you can tell me anything.”

Once his eyes locked onto her beautiful face he had no choice but to trust her with his feelings.

Softly he began to whisper helplessly stumbling over his sentences.

“Liz I can’t…I mean there’s just no way to thank you for everything you’ve done for me.-

“Max.”

“No please I-I need to get this out. There were days when the pain was so intense I just wanted to give up but you… you were there …always right there. After all the sleepless nights and long painful days you never left my side.”

Liz’s eyes became glassy as she fixed the hair the had fallen across his golden eyes.

“I love you Max …and I’m so sorry I put you through so much before. I just was afraid-

Max put his fingers up to her lips silencing her.

“I know …I get it you don’t have to explain.”

Confused Liz scanned his handsome face for answers.

“Then what is it?”

Letting his eyes fall away his voice lowered becoming almost non-existent.

“I haven’t let you see my …my…me.”

Moving closer to him Liz gently touched his thigh still unsure of what he was talking about.

“Liz the burns…my scars-

“What about them?”

Turning his body so he was away from her his voice broke.

“I-I’m a monster now…and I would understand …I mean if you’ve changed your mind about becoming …intimate. Well I understand.”

Hesitating for but a second Liz stood before him and stared down at him until he finally lifted his sweet face up to her.

Blushing profusely she pulled the clip from her hair and shook her head letting her long dark locks fall around her shoulders.

Then slowly one by one she unbuttoned the short powder blue sundress from her golden skin and let it fall from her body.

His mouth went dry as he watched her naked body tremble in the moonlight.

A shiver ran through him as she parted her soft pink lips to speak.

“You could never be a monster Max. You're beautiful ...in my eyes you will always be beautiful."

Taking a step closer to him she took his hands and placed them on her hips.

"I want to be with you Max. I know that may not be possible in the traditional sense right now but that doesn't matter to me. I just need to feel your hands on me."

He let out a shaky breath as he moved his hands up along her waist skimming the soft skin beneath her breasts.

"Liz."
Last edited by jake17 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.