Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) Complete 12/4

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) Complete 12/4

Post by RoswellOracle »

TITLE: Saving Max

AUTHOR: RoswellOracle

RATING: Mature, and eventually adult

CATEGORY: M/L, CC, AU, w/o aliens

REPOSTING: Please ask permission before reposting. I like to know where my story is going to live.

FEEDBACK: Feel free to send e-mail feedback to the contact link. Corrections are appreciated and all questions will be answered as quickly as possible.

DISCLAIMER: Roswell, the characters and the story, are owned by Melinda Metz, Jason Katims and Fox Studios (although the way they have abused them I don't think they deserve them) and are used here purely for entertainment purposes.

Any additional characters or situations not mentioned in the show are the creation of my dementia.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: This is a story purchased in the Support Stacie Stocking Stuffer Author Auction in Dec 2008. Fanfic authors volunteered to have their writing services auctioned off to raise money to help fund Stacie’s cancer treatments.

Lizevansroswell was the highest bidder. She had the idea for the story, and lots of suggestions about what she wanted to have happen, and we worked as a team to put it all together. The auction was for short fics, so this will only be a few parts long.

A NOTE FROM Lizevansroswell: Thank you for taking time to read this story. Please enjoy.

SUMMARY: Max is a retired NBA player with a problem.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 1

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max was exhausted.

He relaxed for the first time that day as he finally turned into his gated driveway, and pulled his convertible into the garage. Looking into the rearview mirror he saw his bodyguard in the car behind him and nodded.

A sigh escaped him. Who knew retiring could be so stressful?

Grabbing a leather satchel, he got out of the car and went into the side door of his mansion, heading up to his room.

He’d spent all day in meetings, signing papers, making plans for his future after the NBA. He’d started playing professional basketball right out of college and played for only ten years. He was still healthy and strong and could have continued playing, but he’d become increasing unhappy.

At first it had been great; the excitement, the fans, the parties, the fame, the women, but it hadn’t taken long for all the things he thought he wanted to turn sour. He hardly had any friends, he wasn’t sure who to trust or who just wanted to be around him for his fame and money. He was constantly being followed by photographers, crazed fans, even stalkers. There were plenty of women, but none who really knew him, or cared about him.

He wanted more. He wanted to settle down, to find a woman who loved him for who he was, not how much money or fame he had.

It’s not like he needed the money anyway. His family had left him a fortune in addition to the astronomical amount of money he’d made playing ball and selling his image for endorsements.

But all the money meant nothing without someone to share it with.

He took the stairs to the second floor two at a time.

For years he’d been a playboy, sleeping around, never dating a woman for more than six months, but it had left him feeling empty and alone. His current girlfriend was just another bimbo in the long line of women. They had a date tonight and he was filled with a sense of boredom. He’d break up with her soon. He wanted more than she’d ever be able to offer him.

He wanted a woman who was different than his usual dates. He wanted someone smart, and challenging, with a mind of her own. Not that he knew any women like that. Once, in college there had been a girl…

He let the thought trail off. It was a long time ago.

Finally he reached his room, pushing the door open. He tossed his jacket and satchel on a chair and headed toward the bathroom, intending to take a shower, but a movement made him stop short. He whirled toward the motion and saw a naked blonde woman in his bed.

“Hey, Maxie,” she purred. “I thought I’d surprise you.”

“Tess,” he hissed. “How did you get in here?”

She shrugged, getting to her knees, displaying herself to him. “Does it matter?” she asked teasingly. “We can be together now.”

“You’re not supposed to be here, Tess,” he said.

Without taking his eyes off her, Max bellowed over his shoulder. “Steve! I need you!”

Her seductive smile turned to a scowl. “Max,” she said getting off the bed and coming toward him, “we need to be alone, so we can talk about us.”

Max shook his head. “There is no us, Tess. We’ve talked about his before.”

She pouted sensually. “But now that you’re retiring, you’ll want to settle down.”

A loud voice came down the hall. “Max, are you alright?”

“Fine,” Max called back, “just get in here.”

“Max,” Tess spat, “you don’t need him. It’s just me.”

They could hear running footsteps now and Tess whirled, heading for the balcony doors. Her beautiful face had become twisted with anger. “We’ll be together, Max,” she yelled as she pulled the door open. “Nothing will keep me away from you.”

She disappeared outside just as his bodyguard Steve came rushing into the room.

Max pointed automatically. “That crazy bitch Tess was in my bed, and she went out that way.”

Steve headed toward the door, talking over his shoulder. “Did she have a weapon?”

“None that I saw,” Max called out, “but I wasn’t going to take any chances after last time.

“Lock yourself in after I’m gone,” Steve said, “and call the cops.” Heading out the balcony door, he disappeared the same way Tess had gone.

Max did as Steve said, locking himself inside his room before he placed the call to the cops. It was almost routine by now, the cops being called at least once a week because of Tess.

Last week she’d shown up with a knife and threatened to kill herself.

Tess had been stalking him for months, but technically he’d known her for years. They had gone to Junior High School together. He hadn’t remembered her at first, but she’d told him who she was.

She had first approached him in a bar a few months ago, just after he’d announced his retirement, and they’d talked a little. She was beautiful, and she had an incredible body, but it didn’t take long for him to see that she was insane.

Repeated she had talked about how she’d loved him for years, following his college and then professional career. She told him she always knew they would be together, and she was sure he couldn’t love anyone but her.

He’d gotten away from her as quickly as possible, and thought that would be the end of it. But she had followed him, showed up at his games, gotten into his yard and house, sent him threatening letters, she had attacked two of his dates, and then there was the incident with the knife.

He had a restraining order against her, but it didn’t help, and every time she showed up she somehow got away before the police could find her.

Max had grown up with a lot of money, and he’d had bodyguards his whole life, but he felt smothered because of Tess. It seemed like he was never alone, and even his house wasn’t safe.

A knock at his door startled him out of his thoughts.

“Max, it’s me,” Steve said through the door.

Max crossed to the door, opening it. “Did you find her?”

“No,” Steve said. “She’s gone.”

“What?” Max asked incredulously. “She was naked. How did she get away?”

“I don’t know,” Steve admitted. “But the cops are here now and they’re looking for her too.”

Max shook his head. “How the hell did she get in here in the first place?” he asked angrily. “Where is the security? What am I paying you for?”

“It won’t happen again,” Steve promised.

Max glared at him. “How do you stop someone who you can’t find?”

He turned away. “I’ve got a date tonight,” he reminded his bodyguard.

Steve nodded. “We’ll take the limo, and I’ll ride up front and make sure Tess doesn’t come near you.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max sat across from Julie in the restaurant, bored out of his mind. As far as he was concerned their relationship had run its course. Not that they had that much of a relationship. They had only been dating three weeks.

She was beautiful, and had a great body and the sex was good, but he just wasn’t into her. And as he sat across the table looking at her he realized that even with her there he just felt empty inside, hollow. No matter how many women he’d been with, he felt the same.

He wanted more than any of them could give him. He wanted to settle down. He wanted love.

They had finished their meals and Julie was talking non-stop, and Max realized he hadn’t heard a word. He hadn’t planned on breaking up with her tonight, but really there was no point in waiting.

“Julie,” he said, interrupting her.

She looked at him. “Yeah?”

He twirled the stem of a wine glass in his fingers. “This isn’t working for me,” he said, aware of what an ass he was being. But really he didn’t want to waste any more time, and, he told himself, he was setting her free to find someone else too. “I don’t think we should see each other any more.”

“What?’ she asked incredulously. “I thought we…” she broke off as she saw Max shaking his head.

“I’m sorry, Julie,” he said. “That’s just how I feel.”

Her beautiful face turned sharp and mean. “You bastard,” she hissed. “You can’t just dump me.”

“Sure I can,” Max said with a shrug.

She nodded. “I’m going to the restroom, and then you can take me home.”

He smiled. “Of course.” He watched her get up and walk away. He’d known there was no way she would take a cab home, because she’d have to pay for it.

Motioning for the waiter he paid for their meal while she was gone. He’d just left a generous tip when screaming came from the direction of the restrooms.

“He’s mine, you bitch!” came a screechy voice.

There was the sound of scuffling, things breaking, a loud slap.

“Stay away from him,” yelled the same voice.

Restaurant employees rushed toward the restroom and Max caught a glimpse of Tess as she ran from the women’s room into the back of the restaurant.

Immediately Max stood up, a sick feeling filling him. “Julie!?!”

Tess’ voice rang out. “I love you Max!”

He rushed forward just as Julie came stumbling out of the restroom. Her top was ripped and she held a hand to a bloody lip.

Suddenly his bodyguard Steve was there, pushing Max aside and going into the kitchen after Tess.

“What the fuck?” Max yelled as he ran past.

He wrapped his arm around Julie and let her back to the table, sitting her down. Dipping a napkin in ice water he pressed it to her still-bleeding lip.

“What the hell happened in there?” he asked her gently.

She took the napkin from him. “Some psycho, blonde bitch attacked me. Kept saying that you belonged to her, and I’d better stay away.”

“Shit!” Max spat. “I’m sorry, Julie. She’s been stalking me.” He motioned to the direction where Steve had disappeared. That’s why the bodyguard was with us.”

Julie met his eyes. “Well he sure did a whole hell of a lot of good.”

Max nodded. He was thinking the same thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The cops were called again, and finally Steve returned, but no one could find Tess.

They took Julie home and Max waited until he was back at his own house to confront Steve.

“What the fuck, Steve?” he yelled. “Tess gets in my yard, in my house, she attacks my date in a public place. What the fuck are you doing?”

“I’m sorry, Max,” Steve said. “I don’t know how…”

Max cut him off. “That’s the problem. You don’t know.” He shook his head. “Tonight is your last night here. I’m calling your agency to send over a new man in the morning.”

Steve nodded. “I understand, Max, I let you down.

Max waited until Steve left the room to place the call. He explained about Steve’s repeated failure and requested a new bodyguard be sent over.

“Of course, Mr. Evans,” said the man on the phone. “One of our best bodyguards just became available. Will eight a.m. be okay? You can talk over the situation and work out everything between you.”

“That’s great, Mr. Valenti,” Max said. “I’ll be available to go over everything.”

Max put down the phone. He hated to fire Steve, he really liked him, but he needed better protection. He was glad one of the agency’s best bodyguards was coming. He just hoped that the new man was better than Steve.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As soon as Jim Valenti got off the phone with Max, he called his employee.

The phone rang several times before it was answered.

“Yeah,” the sleepy voice on the other end answered.

“This is Jim,” he said, “I’ve got a new job for you, if you’re up for it.”

“That’s great,” said the hoarse voice. “I’d like to get working again. When and where?”

“2783 Twisting Pine Drive, and he’s expecting you at eight. He’s a retired NBA player with a stalker problem.”

“My specialty,” the bored voice drawled.

Jim chuckled. “Steve Harris has been there a few months, but he isn’t having any luck with the stalker. I know you’ll do better. I’m faxing you the file.”

Another yawn came across the phone. “Great. I’ll take a look. Thanks, Jim.”

The bodyguard hung up the phone and got out of bed, heading for the fax machine in the other room. The paper was just starting to print out, and she picked it up, studying it intently.

“Oh shit!” Liz called out, seeing the client’s name for the first time. “It’s Max!”

Her first thought was to call Jim back and cancel. She even reached for the phone, but her hand dropped.

Jim wouldn’t be able to get anyone else on such short notice, and if Max was being stalked, he could be in danger.

She sat down, flipping through the file, but not really seeing much of it. Her mind was too busy.

Max Evans. It was hard not to know the name. He was one of the best players in the NBA for the last ten years. But she had known the name, and the man, four years before he’d started playing professional basketball.

They’d gone to college together, even had a few classes together each of the four years. And she’d been in love with him since the first time he’d walked into the freshman Sociology class she was taking.

Of course he’d been a basketball star even back in college, and he’d had women all over him; blondes, brunettes, redheads. More women than Liz could believe. And she had just been a mousy, studious girl. He’d never noticed her at all.

That was one reason she would be able to take the job protecting him. At least he wouldn’t remember her, and he’d never know she’d been so head-over-heels in love with him.

And it’s not like she still had feelings for him. She hadn’t seen him in ten years, and she’d had a few relationships in that time. Not that they had worked out, but she certainly hadn’t been sitting around and obsessing about Max.

She’d be at his place, bright and early at eight, and she’d do her job. Max would never know.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess giggled as she fell onto her bed. Her smile widened as she looked around at the hundreds of pictures of Max that she’d taped to her walls and ceiling.

It had been so easy to pose as a waitress in the restaurant and get past Max’s security. It was a sign that Max wanted her to get rid of his date.

It’s not like he loved that woman, after all. He couldn’t possibly love her. She was just a diversion.

Tess knew she was everything Max wanted. She just had to prove her love to him, and then they’d be together forever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC
Last edited by RoswellOracle on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 13 times in total.
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt1 6/30

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks for reading everyone, and for the feedback!

Alien_Friend – it seemes everyone likes Tess as a psycho lol
Mary mary
Jake17 – can’t argue with you about his bod
Keepsmiling7
Begonia9508
Sunrise102 – Liz will definitely be kick ass
Janetfl
Clueness – I’ve been around, but mostly writing UC lol
Destinyc – I agree with you. Tess has always been a psycho
Cassie – just a bit beyond lol
Smac – hmmmm, maybe
Behr_able
Twilight

Here’s the next part

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(The next morning)

Max awoke, stretching and yawning, and turned his head to glance at the clock. Seven-thirty.

It was nice to sleep in, he thought.

He was so used to getting up at the crack of dawn to go to basketball practice, and then working out for hours. It would be good to take a break from that schedule.

Putting his arms behind his head, he settled back against his pillows.

There was no reason to stay in tip-top condition now that he was retired. Maybe he’d take a break from working out too.

He would like to stay in bed a little longer but the new bodyguard was due at eight and he was anxious to meet him. Max just hoped that the new man would be able to take care of the Tess situation.

Stretching again he got out of bed and lazily headed toward the shower. He slept only in boxers and pushed them down as he walked. Stepping under the hot spray he thought about his day.

He supposed he should send flowers to Julie, a sort of get well present. Or maybe not. Would she think he wanted to get back together with her if he did? He didn’t want there to be any misunderstandings. Maybe he’d just do nothing. She would think he was a bastard, but what did he care?

Scrubbing at his hair, he stepped under the water to let it wash the shampoo away.

The new bodyguard was due in a few minutes, and he wondered what plans the man had to keep him safe. He’d never really taken much interest in things like that. He was used to everything around him happening smoothly and on schedule. He supposed he was spoiled.

Growing up rich he’d always had things taken care of for him, his food, his schedule, the cleaning, the laundry. He didn’t have to think about any of it. But maybe he should take a more active role in his safety. He was sick of sitting around waiting for Tess to attack him.

Turning off the water, he stepped out of the shower. He grabbed a fluffy towel and quickly rubbed himself dry as he went back into his room. Maybe he’d ask the new bodyguard to give him self-defense lessons or something. He knew a few moves, but it wouldn’t hurt to learn more.

He dressed and descended the stairs, noting that it was about five minutes until eight. He was anxious for the new man to arrive now, but as he reached the bottom of the stairs, he heard voices coming from the study.

Pushing the door open he was surprised to see Steve talking to someone, their heads bent over some papers on a table.

But he got the shock of his life as the pair turned to greet him. The new bodyguard was a woman.

And she wasn’t just any woman. She was gorgeous.

His eyes raked over her several times. Black, shining hair rippled down her back, framing a delicate face with large, dark, intelligent eyes, and pouty, kissable lips.

But she was definitely a bodyguard. She’d tossed her suit jacket aside exposing the straps of the holster she was wearing. She was small but her tank top allowed him to see the soft curves of muscles in her arms, and she moved with the easiness he associated with hours of training.

His first thought was that he wanted to take her to bed.

Steve’s voice broke into his thoughts. “Max, I’m glad you’re here. I want you to meet my replacement, Liz Parker.”

Max stepped forward, putting on his most seductive smile as he held out his hand. “Nice to meet you, Liz,” he rumbled in a low voice that he knew women loved.

She shook his hand, but didn’t linger and barely reacted to him, and he felt a rush of disappointment. He’d never had to work to get women to fall all over him. He’d just have to try harder to win her over when they were alone.

“Mr. Evans,” she said in a business-like tone, “Steve and I have been going over your file to catch me up on your case. We’ve studied the blueprints of your property, and I’ve checked the whole house for security measures. We did find GPS tracking devices on two of your cars, and there is a window in the basement that doesn’t latch properly. That is how the stalker has been gaining access to the house, and finding you when you leave.”

Max was shocked. “You found all that already? How long have you been here?”

Liz shrugged. “About two hours. I wanted to get a head start on your case to see if we could make any progress catching this woman.”

“Wow,” Max said, impressed. “Do you know how she’s been getting into the yard?”

“”Not yet,” Liz admitted, “but we’re working on it.”

Steve turned to Max. “I’m sorry I failed you,” he said. “I should have caught those things that Liz found. I’ll be leaving as soon as she is finished with me.”

Max shook Steve’s hand. “Thanks.”

Liz looked at Max. “I just have a few more things to go over with Steve, it shouldn’t be more than an hour, and then I have some questions for you, Mr. Evans. Would that be a convenient time for you to meet with me?”

Max nodded. “Um, sure.”

His head was racing as the two bodyguards left the room, and he couldn’t help his eyes lingering on Liz’s ass as she walked away.

Damn he wanted her. For all of her cool demeanor, he’d bet she was a wildcat in bed. He just had to break through her stiff exterior. And that shouldn’t be too hard. He was an expert at seducing women.

She’d be back in an hour, he mused. Maybe he would work out after all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz really didn’t have that much more to go over with Steve, and they parted about fifteen minutes later. But she’d wanted the extra time to calm herself.

She didn’t think Max would have an effect on her after all these years, but it was like no time had passed. A rush of desire filled her when she’d first seen him, and she’d had to work hard to stay professional and detached.

And when he’d started looking at her, she’d felt her heart racing. He’d never paid any attention to her when they’d been in school together but she’d seen desire in his eyes as he’d taken her hand. And his sexy voice had made her insides melt.

He was even sexier now than he had been in college, she thought. It certainly wasn’t going to be easy working around him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In exactly an hour Max was back. He walked into the study glistening with sweat, a towel clutched in his hand, and Liz couldn’t stop her eyes taking in every inch of him. He was now in a lose-fitting tank and shorts and he’d obviously been working out.

Muscles bulged in his arms and chest as he moved, and Liz felt her mouth go dry. He was absolutely beautiful. All she could think about was being held in those strong arms, naked, joined together as they moved rhythmically, both slick with sweat.

“Sorry,” he said, motioning to himself. “I lost track of the time. I’ll take a quick shower, and we can talk.”

Liz nodded, swallowing hard. “Right,” she choked out.

“Shit,” she said, after he disappeared. “This is going to be harder than I thought.”

At least she had a few minutes to compose herself before he got back.

Damn it Liz, she said to herself, you have to do better than this. You can’t let him see how much you want him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max grinned as he stood under the hot spray of his shower for the second time. He’d seen the naked desire in Liz’s eyes as she looked at him. Maybe she wasn’t going to be as difficult to seduce as he thought.

He finished quickly and dressed in record time, jogging down the stairs to meet her.

When he entered the study she was sitting in the same place, but her business-like mask was back in place.

His smile widened. She was going to fight her feelings for him, but in the end he would win.

He took a seat opposite her, so she couldn’t help but look at him. “So what do you want to talk about?”

“I’ve read the file,” she said, taking out a pad and pen, “but I’d like you to tell me about Tess in your own words.”

“Okay,” he agreed. “There isn’t much to tell. She’s this psycho chick that I went to junior high with. I didn’t even know her, but I guess she noticed me and kept up with me through my basketball career in high school, college, and the pros. A few months ago she followed me to a bar and I met her, and after that she started stalking me, sending me stuff, showing up at the house.”

“She says she loves me and nothing can keep us apart. It was a little disturbing at first and then she started attacking my dates, and one time she showed up here with a knife. I think she might really hurt somebody or maybe stab me.

He sighed. “My security and the police can’t find her, it’s like she just appears and then disappears. She’s completely nuts but she’s gotta be really smart to keep getting away.”

Liz nodded, quickly jotting down notes as he spoke. “She attacked another woman last night.”

“Yeah,” he said frustratedly. “Somehow she found us at the restaurant and got past Steve and attacked Julie in the restroom.”

“Maybe we should have a discussion with Julie, so she knows the protection plan.”

Max shook his head. “Julie won’t be coming around, she and I aren’t together anymore.” He met Liz’s eyes. “I’m not with anyone right now.”

She felt her heart skip a beat, indrawing a quick breath, and nodded to cover. “Okay,” she said breathlessly, “well, we can just concentrate on you then, Mr. Evans.”

Max smiled wickedly. “I like the sound of that,” he said seductively. “But call me Max.”

Liz decided that ignoring his flirtations was the safest thing to do. “Okay, Max,” she said, trying to put the conversation back on a professional level. She looked down at her pad, making more notes. “The first thing I want to do is go over your schedule. I’ll introduce you to my team, and I’ll need to meet your staff and any regular visitors.”

Max watched her closely as she wrote and he was suddenly struck with a wave of familiarity. There was something about her, the way her dark curtain of hair fell across her face as she leaned down. She reminded him of someone.

Liz looked up at him, waiting for his answer, breaking the moment.

“Um,” he said, recovering himself, “my manager is due any minute,” he said, checking his watch, “and I’m sure my sister will be over soon.”

Just then they heard noises from the hall. A tall, blonde woman raced into the room. “Max,” she called out, throwing her arms around him, “are you okay? Why didn’t you tell me you got attacked? I had to hear about it on the news.”

Liz got up from her chair, and her eyebrows rose as she witnessed the scene. Another blonde, she thought. That was definitely Max’s type. And she’d actually believed him when he said he wasn’t involved with anyone.

“I’m fine,” he assured the beautiful woman in his arms. “She didn’t hurt me.”

He motioned to Liz. “I fried Steve and I hired a new bodyguard. Liz” he said, “this is my sister, Isabel.”

Liz was surprised that Max’s sister was blonde when he was so dark. She smiled and noticed that Isabel took her in with a long look.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Isabel said regally, “but…”

She was cut off as more noises came from the hall, and three more people came in.

Max was hugged by another blonde woman, and a tall, thin, dark-haired man. A second tall man with longer dark hair patted him on the back.

“We’re so glad you’re okay,” said the woman.

“Yeah, Maxwell,” the longer-haired guy said. “Way to attract the psychos.”

Max motioned to Liz again. “Meet my new bodyguard, Liz Parker” he said. “And Liz this is my manager Maria Deluca.” He motioned to the guy with the longer hair, “This is her fiancé, and my best friend Michael Guerin.”

Michael nodded to her.

Max motioned to the thinner guy, “And this is Isabel’s husband, my brother-in-law and lawyer, Alex Whitman.”

“Nice to meet you,” Alex said.

“New bodyguard,” Maria said looking her over. “You’re so small. How can you protect Max?”

“That’s just what I was going to say,” Isabel agreed.

Liz nodded, having heard the same thing many times in her work. “Size doesn’t make that much difference really, and I am very good at what I do.”

Max spoke up. “Jim Valenti at the bodyguard agency said she is the best he has, Isabel. She’s already found out that Tess was Lo-jacking my cars, and she figured out how Tess was getting into the house. And she’d only been here a few hours.”

Isabel looked Liz over again, but Liz spoke up, addressing them all. “I understand that you are concerned about Max, and I promise I’ll do my best to protect him.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt2 7/10

Post by RoswellOracle »

Hey, everyone. Thanks for reading and for the feedback.

Scorpio6
Keepsmiling7 – yes, poor Liz, having to look at beautiful Max all day ;)
AlysLuv
Pijeechinadoll
Natalie36 – yes, sign me up!
DestinyC – hmmm, a demo you say . . .
Lilloucfer – glad you are enjoying
Begonia9508 – Max didn’t sleep with Tess, but she must be the only woman in that town he didn’t sleep with.
Behr_able – that is a fight I wouldn’t mind loosing.
Garcia88
Smac – you must be reading my notes lol
Janetfl – Tess doesn’t know what’s coming
Alien_Friend – Liz can kick some butt, just wait
Abbs007 – hmmm, maybe
Clueless – I have two UC series
The Artist series – Z/L, AU no aliens, and Max doesn’t exist, so no Max bashing - Liz is a student at NYU and Zan is an artist
And I have the Cravings series – M/L/Z, AU no aliens, mostly just smut
There are links on my author’s page if you are interested

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max waited until Isabel, Maria, Michael and Alex left before he approached Liz. “So I was thinking,” he said, “that you could teach me some self-defense moves,”

Liz nodded. “That’s a good idea.”

She couldn’t help her eyes traveling over his body. He was fully clothed now, but she’d seen a good portion of him earlier, and she knew he was strong and sculpted. She swallowed hard, trying not to think about it. “Have you done anything like that before?”

He shrugged. “I did a little kick boxing, but just to train.”

“Okay,” Liz said, ‘why don’t we start with a few basics?”

She shed her jacket, tossing it on a chair. “Of course you want to get away if possible, but if you can’t…” She trailed off as she took her gun out of the holster, popping out the clip before putting it on a table. “Well then it’s all about balance and leverage,” she said. “So even someone smaller than you could get the upper hand if they know what they’re doing.”

“It would be easier to come at you from behind,” she said, motioning for him to turn. “So if I grab you like this,” she said, demonstrating by putting her hands on him, “there are a couple of things you can do.”

Max smiled. This is exactly what he’d had in mind.

For about half an hour Liz showed him different escapes, punches and kicks. And he’d used the excuse of getting everything exactly right to make sure that they had their hands on each other as much as possible.

He held her waist as he threw her, she put her hands to his chest to demonstrate pushing him away, he embraced her from behind as she showed him how to break free. The lesson was very physical, and they were both starting to sweat a little and their breathing was hard. He could definitely get into this kind of foreplay.

Liz was having a hard time keeping her mind strictly on the lesson herself. She’d tried to convince herself that she was only teaching him these things to keep him safe, but she was enjoying it way too much whenever Max touched her, or wrapped his arms around her.

She wasn’t as immune to him as she’d thought.

Max turned to face her and his eyes met hers as he spoke. “I think she’s more likely to come at me from the front, like she did before, with the knife,” his voice was low and sensual not matching his words.

“Well…” Liz said breathlessly.

But her words were cut off with surprise as Max suddenly rushed at her, grasping both of her arms and using his body weight to press her backward into the wall. He held her there, looking into her eyes, their lips inches apart. “What should I do then?” he purred.

Liz’s heart was racing and she couldn’t seem to look away from him. He was going to kiss her. Somewhere inside she knew it was wrong and she should stop him but she couldn’t move. Every one of her college fantasies was coming true in that moment and she felt helpless against them.

Slowly Max’s head descended toward hers and finally his lips brushed hers, just a feather’s touch that left her feeling lightheaded and wanting more.

Eyes closed, her head swayed toward him and Max took her movement as an invitation. Again and again he slowly brushed her lips, coaxing, seducing.

One of his hands smoothed up her arm until he reached her head, and then he cupped the back of her neck, holding her as he kissed her properly. He fit his lips squarely to hers, no longer seducing, but hungry and demanding a response, and Liz gave it to him.

Her hands that had rested passively on his chest, wrapped around his neck, and her body pressed into his.

Max’s other hand smoothed down her side, brushing the edge of her breast and rested on her hip, pulling her closer to him. He moaned into her mouth as he felt himself growing hard.

Using his knee, he nudged her legs apart, settling fully into her, letting her feel his erection. He licked her lips, urging her to open up to him, and when she did his tongue stroked into her mouth.

His hand left her hip and moved up, cupping her breast, his thumb stroking over her already hard nipple.

A small whimper escaped her and her hands tightened in his hair.

She was his, he thought. She wanted him and responded so perfectly to his every touch. He couldn’t wait to be inside her and see her beautiful body beneath him as he made her cum again and again.

He was just about to pick her up and carry her to his room when she started to pull back.

“Wait,” Liz said, finally coming to her senses. It seemed like she’d been drugged by the overwhelming passion, but she had to stop it.

She pushed at Max’s chest. “We can’t do this,” she protested in a still-husky voice.

Max kissed her neck. “We seem to be doing it just fine,” he said, kissing another spot on her neck. “And once we’re upstairs and I get you naked, I guarantee we’ll be explosive.”

A shiver of desire raced through her. She’d never been so turned on and she wanted him desperately. She was sure they’d be explosive together too, but she couldn’t let it happen.

“Max stop,” she said in a stronger voice. “We have to stop.”

“Why?” he breathed into her neck. “I want you, and you want me.”

“It’s not right,” she said, pushing him away. “I work for you. I protect you, and I need all of my concentration focused on keeping you safe. I can’t be distracted by, um, other things.”

Max nodded, stroking her cheek. He heard what she said, but he also knew what her body was telling him. She might not be ready yet, but he wasn’t going to give up.

“Okay,” he said casually, stepping back and releasing her.

Liz was actually a bit disappointed that he didn’t put up more of a argument, but it proved to her that he was only looking for a roll in the hay and she was convenient.

She nodded decisively. “Okay,” she said, reaching up nervously to push her hair out of her face.

The movement seemed to trigger something inside Max and he knew he’d seen it before. “There’s something about you,” he said. “You seem so familiar to me. Do we know each other?”

For a moment Liz was alarmed. Did he remember her? But almost immediately she pushed the thought aside. It was impossible, he couldn’t remember. She probably just reminded him of one of the dozens of women he’d dated over the years.

Liz shook her head. “No.”

At that moment one of Liz’s security team, Brody, came rushing into the office. “A letter just arrived from the woman,” he said.

Liz knew he meant Tess and she motioned for him to put it on the table. They all stood around as she carefully used a knife to open it and pulled out the contents.

“There’s no postmark,” Liz said, “so this didn’t come through the mail.” She looked at Brody. “No one saw her put it in the mailbox?”

He shook his head. “We didn’t have it under constant surveillance, but I don’t know how she could have gotten onto the property without being seen.”

Liz nodded. “We’re going to go over every inch of this place until we find out.”

The letter was like others Tess had sent to Max, composed of letters she had cut out of magazines. Liz often wondered why she bothered when they already knew who she was. Maybe Tess just liked the look of the colorful letters pasted to the paper, or maybe she was just insane.

She’d used tiny letters and words to make this letter. And even though they were rough, uneven and crooked, Liz thought it must have taken hours, maybe most of the night to complete.

She read it out loud.

Dearest Max,

I knew you were testing my love for when you brought that tramp to the restaurant. You wanted me to prove myself to you again.

You knew she wasn’t right for you and I was happy you brought her to me so I could get rid of her for you. And I’d do it a thousand times more. I will do anything for you, pass any test you give me so that you know I’m the one who really love you. And then we can be together.

We will be so happy, my love. I knew we were meant to be together since the first time I saw you. It’s destiny that we met again after all those years. I saw the sign you sent me and knew you wanted me to prove myself worthy.

Soon I will come to you and we’ll be together for eternity.

I’ll always love you.
Tess

Despite himself, Max shivered. The same words that he’d used himself insincerely a thousand times to women he’d dated, sounded so creepy coming from a sincere psycho.

Liz noticed that he was a little pale and she touched his arm. “It will be okay,” she assured him. “We’ll catch her and make sure she doesn’t come near you again.”

Max nodded, smiling at Liz. Even though she was small, he had absolute confidence in her ability to protect him. She would keep him safe.

“You should stay inside the house,” she said, “unless one of us is with you, okay?”

He nodded again. “No problem today,” he said. “I don’t have any plans.”

“Good,” Liz said. “My team and I are going to search the grounds and figure out how she is getting in.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess danced around her room with a shirt of Max’s she had taken from his house. She was so happy. She and Max would be together soon.

Surely he had gotten her letter by now and he would know she was the one who loved him the most. He would know she was the one who was the most worthy of his love.

She wanted to go rushing to him, but she had to be smart. She had to make sure he was ready for her.

Instead she went to her computer and turned it on. First she would check to see if he was home, and that would be a sign that he wanted her to go come him tonight.

She opened the tracking program she was using on his cars to check their location, but there were none of the usual little blips on the screen.

Scowling she thought there must be something wrong with the program. She tried refreshing the tracker, but still there was nothing. Frustrated, she ran a diagnostic, tapping her fingers as it slowly checked the program for errors.

When it was about half-way through she saw it.

The program wasn’t picking up any signals because there were none to pick up. They had been deactivated. Someone had turned them off.

Rage surged through her and she knocked a jar of pencils off the desk. They crashed to the ground, smashing the glass, scattering everywhere. Someone was trying to keep her from Max and she wanted to hurt them, cut them. With a growl she reached for a large shard of glass, but stopped when she suddenly realized the truth.

It was simply another test Max was putting her through.

She hadn’t proved herself to him fully and he just wanted to see how much she loved him.

She had relied on technology too much, she could see that now. Max wanted her to prove her devotion, to watch him, to follow him, not find out where he was using a computer.

It made perfect sense to her now.

A smile crossed her face. It was just like she’d told him in the letter. She’d do anything for him and she just had make him see that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later Max was sitting in his office at his desk. He’d spent the afternoon thinking about how to get Liz into his bed, and finally he’d sent for her.

Max smiled when she came into the room.

“You needed to see me?” Liz asked, stopping before his desk.

He nodded, amused that she was keeping a piece of furniture between them. Getting up, he walked around to her, and sat on the edge of the desk. “I was wondering if you brought a nice dress with you?” he rumbled seductively.

Liz’s brow creased and he knew he’d caught her off guard.

“What?” she asked. “Why?”

His smile widened. “Because I want to you to come to this fundraiser with me tomorrow night.”

“Oh,” Liz said, “of course I’m coming with you. I’m your bodyguard.”

“No,” Max said, standing up and taking a step closer to her. He held her eyes as his smile widened. “I want you to come as my date.”

Liz’s heart jumped in excitement, but she instantly took a step back, shaking her head. “Max, we already talked about this. We can’t get involved like that. I’m your bodyguard, not your date.”

He took another step closer. “So you’re saying you wouldn’t mind if I took a date?”

A sinking feeling washed through Liz. She would mind, but it’s not like she had any claim on Max. Swallowing hard, she concentrated on keeping her face neutral. “Of course I wouldn’t mind,” she said. “Your personal life…”

He cut her off. “Liar,” he said softly, reaching out to touch her arm. “You want me just as much as I want you.”

Liz shook her head. “Even if that was true, which I’m not saying it is, but even if it was true I wouldn’t get involved with you while I was working for you. Not only is it unethical but it’s dangerous. I couldn’t concentrate like I should to protect you.”

Max nodded, storing the information away. “Well, you’re coming with me anyway,” he said with a wink, “and we will have this conversation again.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt3 7/19

Post by RoswellOracle »

Keepsmiling7 – who could resist Max?
Mary mary
Destinyc – you were right. Have you been reading my notes?
Alien_friend – Liz is going to need all her self control. Lol
Janetfl – Liz is the one who needs ‘self defense’ lessons ;)
Cornflakegirl
Natalie36 – yes, Tess is definitely a little off. lol
Scorpio6
Behr_able
Addicted2AmberEyes – lol I love twisted
Twilight
AlysLuv
Abbs007
Begonia9508 – Tess has taken her crush a bit extreme
Confusedfool
Smac – Max is definitely arrogant. Getting every woman he ever wanted hasn’t helped him.
Erina – Max is determined, and he usually gets what he wants.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 4

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max’s evening was uneventful and he’d slept peacefully. He got up late, showered, dressed and then grabbed a bagel before he went in search of Liz.

He went through several rooms on the ground floor without seeing anyone, and finally headed to the front door. He knew there was always one of Liz’s men posted there.

Opening the door he was greeted by Brody. “Mr. Evans.”

“Where’s Liz?” Max asked.

Brody motioned out across the grounds. “She found out where Tess was getting into the yard,” he said. “I’ll take you to her.”

Max was surprised. “She found out? Where is it?”

“In the side yard, near the wall,” Brody said, starting around the front of the house, “there’s an old storm drain cover. It’s right were the grass ends and the hedge begins, so it partially concealed. Steve ruled it out because it’s so small, but Liz knew it had to be the entrance when she saw it. She said she could fit into it, so Tess could too.”

Max smiled. He wasn’t surprised. Liz just had a way about her. She was beautiful, sexy and smart.

He could see her across the lawn near the high wall that surrounded his property. Liz and two other men were standing together, looking down at what Max assumed was the storm drain.

Liz was dressed in a suit similar to yesterday, and she’d tossed the jacked to the ground so she was standing only in a tank top and slacks. Max noticed that her holster and gun was next to jacket.

She was pointing down, making motions with her hands as if she were explaining something. Reaching up, she went to push her hair back, but realized at the last moment it was already pulled back and dropped her hand.

Again Max was struck with a feeling of familiarity. It seemed like he’d seen that gesture a million times.

She looked up as they approached.

”Brody said you found where Tess was getting in,” Max said.

Liz nodded, pointing down to a small, metal lid that resembled a square manhole cover.

“Wow,” Max said, examining it carefully. “I can see why Steve didn’t think it was possible. It’s so small.”

“It’s definitely how she was getting in,” Liz said. “I climbed down and it goes into a system of tunnels and there was evidence she’d been there recently.”

“You went down there?” Max asked concerned. “Isn’t that dangerous?”

Liz smiled. “I do this for a living, remember? Sometimes it’s dangerous.”

Max scowled. He didn’t like Liz putting herself in danger. He opened his mouth to argue, but Liz was already talking.

“We can’t weld the cover shut,” she said, “but we can padlock it, and that will stop her from getting in here again. We could leave it open and set a trap for her, but only if everything else fails. I’d like to get this place secure first.”

The other two men nodded.

She continued. “And we need to check the rest of the property to make sure it’s the only one. There are so many trees, plant beds and hedges, there could be another one anywhere.”

Nodding at one of the men she spoke to him. “Owen you stay here and make sure she doesn’t come in this way until we can get it locked down.”

She turned to look at the other man. “Larry, you keep checking the yard.”

“I’m impressed,” Max said to Liz. “You’ve made a lot of progress in only a couple of days. At this rate Tess will be in custody by tomorrow,” he teased.

Liz smiled. “Well let’s hope so.” She raised her eyebrows. “Were you looking for me for a reason?”

“No,” Max said, not wanting to admit in front of the other guys that he’d just wanted to see her. “I just wondered what was going on.”

She nodded. “We’ll finish checking the yard, and then I’ll brief you on what’s happening.”

“Okay,” Max agreed. He paused, as he was struck again with how familiar she was, and leaned closer to her, speaking softly. “Are you sure we’ve never met before?”

For a moment Liz looked surprised, but she quickly shook her head. “We don’t know each other.”

He held her eyes, feeling she was lying. But why would she lie?

Liz shifted uncomfortably as Max’s perceptive gaze pinned her. She spoke up, quickly changing the subject.

“You should stay in the house until we get the whole yard checked.” She nodded toward the other man with them. “Brody can take you back inside.”

Max felt like a child being ordered around. “Sure,” he said.

Liz turned to follow Larry, and Max watched her closely as he walked back to the house with Brody. He was positive Liz was lying. They had met before.

When he entered the house, he went to a window, pushing the curtain aside so he could see Liz, and reaching into his pocket, he took out his phone. Pressing the speed dial, he only had to wait a moment until it was answered.

“Hey, Alex,” he said, watching Liz through the glass, “I need you to do something for me.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max headed downstairs, straightening the bowtie on his tuxedo, more than ten minutes early for their departure time. He was aware that Liz would probably be late coming down, but he couldn’t wait to see her.

She’d be wearing a formal dress for the fundraiser they were attending and he was hoping for more than a glimpse of her skin.

He went into his office to pour himself a drink while he waited, but stopped short when he saw that Liz was already inside. And she looked stunning.

His eyes traveled greedily over her, taking in every inch. She was dressed in a black, off-the-shoulder gown that seemed to be wrapped around her in layers of some kind of diaphanous material. The dress was from-fitting, skimming her body to her hips where it flared out slightly and flowed almost to the floor. And it had a slit up the front that ended just above her knees, exposing her slender legs to him.

Her hair was pulled up in a sort of twist, but several tendrils had been left loose so that they hung down framing her face. She was wearing black high heels and held a small, beaded evening bag.

Max swore he didn’t breathe the whole time he looked at her, and then he noticed that she was looking at him.

He smiled as her eyes met his, and he was satisfied to see that she blushed.

“So,” he said smiling, and going farther into the room, “you couldn’t possibly have a gun in that dress. It must be in your purse.”

Liz smiled. “Actually,” she said, pulling the slit of her skirt open wider, “I do have a gun on.”

She showed him the small pistol strapped to her thigh just above the slit in her skirt, and then let the material fall back into place.

“Wow,” Max said, amazed. “You can’t even tell.”

“That’s the point,” she said. “I just look like your date and not your bodyguard.”

Smiling, he moved even closer to her, lowering his voice seductively. “So what do you have in your purse,” he asked teasingly, “a bazooka?”

She smiled back. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

He held out his arm, offering it to her, and she took it. Leaning down he whispered into her ear. “You look incredible, Liz.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess smoothed back her hair, checking her reflection in the mirror, nodding in approval. She was seeing Max tonight and she had to look just right.

She’d found out weeks ago that Max was attending the fundraiser, and she knew he’d expect her to be there. So she’d used a fake ID and resume to get hired by the catering company as a server. A male server.

In her disguise she looked like a young dark-haired man, but she knew Max would be able to feel her presence. He would know she was there, and she might even get close enough to touch him.

Standing in a long line with the other waiters, she picked up a tray of hors d’oeuvres and went into the main room. The lights were dim and she quickly searched the faces of the people sitting at the seemingly endless tables.

People were laughing, talking as they listened to the speaker, but she blocked it all out. She was only interested in one thing. Max.

Finally she spotted him sitting at a table half-way across the room and her heart sank in disappointment. She wasn’t assigned to serve his table, but at least she could see him.

Her eyes traveled over him, and she thought how good he looked in his tuxedo. He was smiling and she was sure he’d never been so handsome.

He turned to talk to the person next to him, and instantly Tess was enraged. Max was talking to a woman.

He rested his hand possessively on the back of her chair, and leaned close to her, speaking into her ear. She was obviously his date.

Tess couldn’t believe that he’d replaced the last woman so quickly. She couldn’t believe he hadn’t turned to her. But he must be angry with her, Tess thought. He found out about Lo-jack and he was mad and punishing her for it. So he’d brought this new woman here to taunt her.

She watched Max and his date all through dinner, talking and laughing, and afterward he led her out onto the dance floor.

The new woman was small, with long, dark hair. Tess couldn’t help thinking that Max had chosen the brunette to highlight the differences between the two of them.

He wanted to challenge her, to make her even more committed to winning him. And she was accepting his challenge.

She would get rid of this new woman for him and prove herself worthy of his love.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max and Liz had a leisurely dinner and then they danced for what seemed like hours.

Max held Liz in his arms feeling more content than he ever had in his life. He barely knew her but everything he learned just made him like and respect her more and more, and he thought he must be falling in love.

At first it had just been about getting her into bed, but now he wanted so much more. For the first time in his life he thought about something other than just sleeping with a woman. He wanted to spend time with Liz and get to know her.

Of course he wanted her too. As a matter of fact he planned to seduce her the moment they got back to his house.

The rest would come in time but he intended to have her in his bed starting tonight.

Liz did her best to play the role of Max’s date while still keeping her attention on all the people around them. But she was enjoying herself too much and kept finding her mind wandering back to Max.

It was just like she’d warned him. She was getting too involved with him.

Her team was in the room too, helping her keep Max safe, and it was a good thing. She was afraid if she was alone she might have missed something.

The music ended and they stopped dancing and Max leaned in close whispering in her ear. “Are you ready to go?”

Liz smiled. He was treating her like a date. “I’m your employee,” she reminded him. “I leave when you’re ready.”

Max nodded. “Then let’s go.”

He wrapped his arm around her waist, leading her out of the room.

Liz motioned to Owen and he called the driver to bring Max’s car to the front of the building so it was waiting when they got there.

The drive to Max’s was uneventful and they all relaxed a bit as soon as the heavy gates were closed behind them.

Liz, Owen & Larry went inside with Max, and the rest of her team spread out to patrol the grounds. Max waited with Liz in the office while Owen and Larry checked the whole house.

It only took a few minutes until they came back, pronouncing the house safe. Then they left Max and Liz alone, taking up their positions outside.

Max turned to Liz. “I had a great time tonight,” he said.

Liz shook her head. “Max, I’m not your date,” she said again. “You’re treating me like…” she trailed off as he moved closer.

“I asked you as my date,” he reminded her as he slipped his hand around her waist. “I took you as my date.”

“Max,” she said, putting her hands to his chest to keep some distance between them.

He cut her off. “You’re incredible,” he said, stroking her bare arm. “I’ve never met anyone like you, and I want to get to know you a lot better.”

“Max,” she started again, “we can’t do this.”

“Do what?” he whispered, leaning in as he cupped her face. “Give in to our feelings?”

He kissed her softly. “I want you, and you want me.” He kissed her again. “So I don’t see the problem.”

More than anything she wanted to give into him. Her whole body craved him but she pushed him away, as she spoke. “Max, I like you, I really do, but it’s already interfering with my job protecting you. I lost concentration a couple of times tonight. I need to keep my distance from you so I can keep you safe.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt4 7/28

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Abbs00 – Liz does have some major willpower
Nitpick23 – keeping her concentration around such a sexy guy will be hard
Scorpio6 – lol Fatal attraction Tess - I like it
Destinyc – now that’s a great idea
Begonia9508
Keepsmiling7
Janetfl
Sarammlover
Alien_Friend – lol crazy and smart, not a good combination
Mary_mary
Natalie36
Cornflakegirl – a freaking insane Tess is fun lol
AddictedtoAmberEyes
Smac – Max will always think of bed first ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz’s alarm went off at six a.m., her usual time, but it seemed much earlier. She hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep.

After Max had brought her back to his place last night she’d lain awake in her bed for hours, thinking. She couldn’t turn off her mind. It replayed everything that had happened between them, over and over, until she’d finally drifted off in the early morning.

But it didn’t matter how little sleep she had the night before, she had to get up and do her job.

Slowly she dragged herself out of bed and stepped under the hot spray of the shower. And even though she was tired, she couldn’t seem to stop thinking about Max.

The whole thing was like a dream come true.

When they’d been in college together she would have given just about anything for him to notice her. She’d spent hours staring at him in class and working up the courage to try to talk to him. She’d dreamt about just spending time with him, getting to know him, kissing him, and being with him.

But the reality was better than anything she’d imagined. He was nice, and funny and so sexy, and he went after what he wanted.

And she still couldn’t believe that he wanted her.

A shiver of pure desire shook her as she remembered what had happened between them last night. She could still feel his touch.

Having Max kiss her and put his hands on her was incredible, no wonder she hadn’t been able to stop him sooner than she had. Because even though she didn’t think it was a good idea for them to get involved, she couldn’t deny that she wanted him.

She’d been so in love with him in college, and she thought she’d gotten over it years ago, but to her surprise, her feelings for him were as strong as ever.

Stepping out of the shower, she quickly dried herself. She had put all of this out of her head. She had work to do, and it was literally a matter of life and death. Max’s life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max slept fitfully and awoke late. It was getting harder for him to ignore the desire he had for Liz, and at night when he was in his bed alone, it was overwhelming. When he should be sleeping, all he could think about was her, kissing her, touching her, making love to her.

She’d looked incredible last night and he’d anticipated having her, but she’d denied him, again.

But he certainly wasn’t giving up. If anything her denials made him want her more. She was obviously interested in him, he just had to convince her that it would be okay from them to be together.

After a brief shower and some breakfast, he went looking for her. The house was empty, except for himself, and he had an idea that he knew where she was. He slipped out a side door to avoid Liz’s men at the front.

Max found Liz where he expected, alone in the corner of the yard, near the wall where she had discovered the storm drain where Tess had been getting in. She was examining the new lock they had put on it, and she got up as she heard him coming.

“Hey,” she said, blushing slightly.

Liz was embarrassed to see Max after last night. She couldn’t seem to control herself around him, and she shouldn't have let him kiss her again.

Max smiled. He loved that he had such an instant effect on her. He didn’t even stop, but went straight to her, his hand sliding behind her head as he fit his lips to hers.

He could tell he surprised her, but he brushed her lips again and again until she started to respond.

Liz knew she shouldn’t be kissing Max. She’d just been berating herself for doing it last night, but it was like his kisses and touches set her on fire. She couldn’t deny him, and found herself wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her body to his.

As soon as Liz started to respond, Max deepened the kisses, gripping her head in both hands, devouring her lips. He slid his tongue along the edge of her lips and she automatically opened to him.

Dipping into her mouth, he stroked her tongue, causing small whimpers to escape her.

Max felt like his blood was boiling. He left her lips and tipped her head back, attacking her neck. “I’ve want you so much,” he growled. “I’ve never wanted anyone as much as I want you.”

He nipped at her neck with short kisses, and pressed his tongue hard into her throat, licking his way up. His hand rested in the small of her back, holding her against him so she could feel his erection.

“You feel so good in my arms, and your body fits so perfectly against mine,” he growled in between kisses. “And my cock will fill you up until you scream with ecstasy when I made you cum again and again.”

His words were so arrogant, but Liz knew he was right, and a shiver of desire like she’d never felt before ripped through her. Her whole body ached for him and her feminine core pulsed and dampened. She wanted him just as much.

But it couldn’t happen, she reminded herself. Not like this. She worked for him, was protecting him.

She started to come out of the sexual spell he was wrapping around her, and pushed at his chest. “We can’t,” she protested.

But Max held her tight, meeting her eyes. “Just admit you want me,” he hissed.

Liz didn’t think it was a good idea to admit to anything, although surely he already knew she wanted him from the way she kept responding to him. She opened her mouth to deny it, but instead the truth came tumbling out. “I want you,” she said breathlessly.

A triumphant smile crossed his face, but she quickly hurried on. “But we can’t,” she said again. “Not while you’re in danger, and certainly not while I work for you.”

Max kissed her again. “I want to strip off your clothes and kiss every inch of you right here,” he growled. “And then make love to you for hours,” he said, nuzzling her cheek as he spoke softly into her ear, “giving you orgasm after orgasm, until you beg me to stop.”

She shivered again, picturing his beautiful body thrusting into her, but swallowed hard and shook her head to keep her mind straight. “Max,” she protested breathily.

He cut her off, holding her eyes. “Okay, not here or now, but it’s going to happen.”

Liz couldn’t say anything, and simply stood looking at him incredulously.

Max smiled, noting her stunned expression, and brushed his thumb over her bottom lip. “Remember we’re going out later,” he said.

“What?” Liz asked, confusion clearly written on her face.

“Tonight,” Max teased with a lopsided grin, “you, me, dinner.”

“Oh,” she said, remembering. “But Max…”

He cut her off again. “I know,” he said with a wink, “it’s not a date.”

Max smiled all the way back to the house. She’d be his soon.

Liz watched Max walk away, and as soon as he was out of sight, she started to move. She paced around restlessly, trying to work off the excess energy that was filling her, and clear her head.

Her reactions to Max were out of control. She realized now that even though she denied it, she’d been in love with him for years. And being so close to him was too tempting, especially when he made it more than clear that he wanted her.

But she had to put that out of her head. If she couldn’t concentrate better and control herself, she would have to remove herself from the case. She wouldn’t put him in danger because she let her emotions or her lust get in the way of her job.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess looked around the alley carefully, making sure she was alone before she slipped behind the dumpster. It only took her moments to get the cover of the storm drain off, and she lowered herself inside, replacing the cover after her.

She’d been so angry all night that she’d barely slept, and all she could think of was getting to Max. She had let him down, and she wanted to make it up to him.

He would understand she was making amends by coming to see him. He would be able to feel her presence even if he couldn’t see her. And she would be able to leave him the letter she’d made for him, explaining, apologizing.

She loved making letters for him, carefully selecting each letter and word, using her hands to craft them, putting all of her love into them. And she knew Max appreciated them too. He would know how much work she had put into them because she loved him.

Quickly she made her way through the familiar tunnels. She’d been in them so many times she knew them all, and navigated the many twists and turns without hesitation, arriving below Max’s yard in no time.

Carefully she stayed in the shadows, looking and listening for anyone around her exit. Max had a team of security guards and she could understand why. Unworthy women and crazy fans were always throwing themselves at him, and he needed someone to keep them away.

Tess crept forward silently, looking through the small holes in the storm drain cover and was shocked to see someone there. A dark-hair woman was kneeling down examining the opening, and Tess barely realized who it was when the woman turned away, getting up and moved out of her sight.

Instantly Tess was furious. It was the dark-haired woman Max had been with last night, and now she had found Tess’ entrance.

Obviously Max had brought her home and slept with her to punish Tess for her failure. And she knew she deserved it. She had let him down, and she had to prove herself to him again. Prove how much she loved him.

Suddenly she heard the woman greet someone and somehow she knew it was Max. Automatically she drifted closer to the opening, just to get a glimpse of him. Her heart leapt with joy when she saw him, but she nearly cried out in pain when he grasped the dark-hair woman and kissed her right in front of her.

Tears gathered in Tess’ eyes. Max was punishing her cruelly. He knew she was there. He would be able to feel her presence, and he was kissing this other woman to show her how deeply she had disappointed him.

He must feel so lonely, Tess thought, wondering if anyone was truly worthy of him. But that is exactly why she had to work harder to prove herself to him, so they could be together.

Suddenly Max tipped back the woman’s head, kissing her neck, and Tess could hear the low rumble of his voice. She couldn’t hear his words, but she could feel his loneliness and pain.

For the first time Tess wished she had a gun instead of her beloved knife. With a gun she could simply shoot through the small holes in the grate, killing the unworthy woman instantly, and Max would know she had done it for him.

Max and the woman parted not long after, and he went back to the house, but the woman remained behind, and Tess couldn’t help but think she was trying to keep Max from her. It enraged Tess even more that this mousy, dark-haired woman thought even for a moment that she deserved Max.

She watched the dark-haired woman pacing back and forth, and could see the confusion and frustration on her face. Tess smiled. This other woman wasn’t sure about her place in Max’s life.

Suddenly Tess heard jogging footsteps and a man in a suit that she had never seen before approached, calling out.

“Liz,” he said, “we’ve got that fax.”

The dark-haired woman nodded. “Great, let’s take a look.”

They turned and headed toward the house, and as they disappeared from sight, Tess approached the grate. She put two hands on it and pushed like she had before, but this time it didn’t move. With a puzzled expression on her face she pressed harder, but it was being held in place.

Walking around to get a better view, Tess finally saw it. The cover had been locked with a long, heavy-duty padlock. There was no way she’d be able to cut it or even pick it through the tiny holes in the grate.

And instantly Tess knew that the dark-haired woman Liz had done it. Liz was blocking her way. She wanted Max for herself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max had only been back at the house a few minutes when Alex and Isabel arrived. He clapped his brother-in-law on the back and gave his sister a hug.

“How are you?” she asked anxiously.

“I’m fine,” he assured her. “I went to that fundraiser last night and nothing happened. Liz was right there with me the whole time, playing my date.”

“But Max,” Isabel argued, “she’s so small. Can she really protect you?”

Max smiled, knowing his sister was concerned for him. “She’s smart, Iz,” he said. “She figured out how Tess was getting into the yard and got it sealed up, not to mention she has this whole team of guys that are helping her.”

“But believe me,” he said with a grin, “Liz can kick plenty of butt on her own. She was showing me some self-defense moves and she took me down several times.”

Isabel couldn’t help smiling. “A big hunk of muscle like you got thrown to the floor by that tiny woman?”

“Yeah,” Max said, nodding, “that’s right, laugh it up, but she really knows her stuff.”

Isabel was still shaking her head, but Max continued. “The point is that Liz is making real progress, and Tess hasn’t been inside the house or the grounds since she started. I feel a lot safer.”

“I’m glad,” Isabel sighed. “I’ve been so worried about you.”

Max hugged her again. “I know, but I really am safer with Liz here.”

Alex held out a folder to Max. “I got that information you wanted,” he said, “and I think it will surprise the hell out of you.”

Max opened the folder, and stared at the photo on top in shock. “Well, I’ll be damned.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later that evening, Max couldn’t stop smiling as he sat beside Liz in the back of his limo.

He’d told her that he wanted to check out a new restaurant, but it was only an excuse. He really just wanted to spend time with her and get to know her. In his mind it was a date even if she would never admit it.

He smiled wider. It was definitely a date. They were dressed up. They were going to eat at a table alone in a romantic restaurant, and if Max had his way they would end the evening naked in his bed.

Liz was trying to treat him only like a job, but he wasn’t going let her. He was going to do everything he could to get closer to her.

The car stopped in front of the restaurant and one of Liz’s men got out first, checking out the area before opening the car door. Max climbed out and then turned back to help Liz out of the car. She placed her hand in his, playing his date, and together they went into the restaurant.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Down the block another car rolled to a stop and ice-blue eyes peered through the window at Max’s limo. Tess had followed it from his house not knowing where he was going.

She had gotten his schedule when she broke into his house, but there was nothing on Max’s calendar for this evening. It was obviously a test he’d planned for her, and she wasn’t going to fail.

A smile crossed her lips and her eyes widened in excitement as she saw Max get out of the limo. He was wearing a dark green shirt that she knew would make his golden eyes glow, with a charcoal jacket and slacks. He looked good enough to eat.

Mentally she started undressing him, but only got as far as his shirt when her fantasy was shattered. Max turned back to the limo, holding out his hand to help someone out of the car.

Tess only had seconds to go from completely happy to miserable and furious. Max was with a woman and it didn’t take a genius to figure out who it was. Liz.

Liz was trying to get into Max’s life, but obviously Max didn’t think she was worthy either. That’s why he’d brought Liz to her, Tess thought, cheering up. Max wanted her to prove herself by getting rid of Liz.

Watching carefully, Tess counted the bodyguards around Max, memorizing their faces. Only two she thought with a smile. Max really was giving her a gift, but she still had to come up with a plan.

She couldn’t stop smiling. Tonight she would kill Liz, and finally Max would be hers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC
Last edited by RoswellOracle on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt5 8/2

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here’s the next part.

Alien_Friend
Abbs007
Begonia9508
Emz80m
Keepsmilint7
Destinyc
Sarammlover
Twilight
Scorpio6
Janetfl

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 6

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max smiled as he sat across the table from Liz. She was so beautiful, he couldn’t stop looking at her.

She wasn’t as formally dressed as last night, but she was wearing a deep red dress that clung to the curves of her body, ending in sort of wispy layers just below her knees.

Max waited until the waiter had taken their order and he was alone with Liz. Leaning in, he put his hand over hers. “You look incredible,” he rumbled.

Liz felt herself blushing. “Thank you,” she said softly. She opened her mouth to speak again, but Max cut her off with a wink.

“I know,” he said grinning, “it’s not a date.”

His words brought a smile to Liz’s lips, and he felt a rush of pleasure as he noticed that she didn’t pull her hand away from his.

“So,” Max started, “why don’t you tell me about yourself, about your family, where you grew up.”

She smiled again but looked down, wondering how to handle him. “I don’t think that’s appropriate,” she said.

Max shrugged. “Well, you know all about me, but all I really know about you is that you’re beautiful and smart and you can kick my ass.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, “I don’t mean to sound like a bitch.” She’d refused his request because she was having a hard time staying professional around him. “I…” she started again, but trailed off.

She noticed some sort of disturbance at the entrance to the restaurant, a humming of conversation, strange, jerky movements. She caught Larry’s eye at the next table and motioned with her head toward the door. Owen stood up too, having noticed the disturbance himself.

Suddenly a shout rang out across the restaurant.

“Max! I came for you!! I love you!!” a woman called out.

There was more scuffling near the entrance, and Owen and Larry were already up and half-way to the door. Even if Liz couldn’t see the blonde curls, it was obvious who the woman was.

Liz sprang out of her seat, going to Max and pushing him down. “Stay low,” she said, drawing her gun.

Murmurs and shouts echoed through the restaurant as the other customers reacted to the strange events. Some seemed to think it was funny and others ducked under their tables.

Tess shouted across the restaurant again. “I love you, Max! We were meant to be together forever!!”

Liz saw the blonde head whirl and run out into the street, and watched as Owen and Larry followed closely behind.

Immediately Liz pulled Max to his feet and hurried him to the front of the restaurant into the coat check area, getting him away from the windows. Other customers were now rushing to the exits as well and she didn’t want to get separated in all the confusion.

She pressed Max against a solid wall with her body, looking around for any signs of danger. Even with her two men going after Tess, she had to get Max out of there. Tess might escape and come back any minute.

“Ed,” Liz called her driver through the small, wireless mic at her wrist, “bring the car around now!”

“Roger,” came his reply through her earpiece.

But a moment later his voice came again.

“The parking lot exit is blocked by a car parked illegally,” he radioed back to her. “I can’t get through. I’ll have to go out the back and around the block.”

Liz nodded as she continued to scan the area. “You’re in the valet lot on the side of the building?”

“Roger,” Ed said.

“Okay,” Liz said, making a quick decision, “stay where you are. We’ll come to you.”

Liz turned to Max. “Stay right behind me,” she ordered.

The whole thing was completely surreal to Max. One moment they’d been having a perfect date, and the next he was running for his life.

He nodded and she led him back through the restaurant, into the kitchen, to the back door. It was dangerous going through the alley, Liz knew, it might even be a trap. But it was only a short way to the car, and Tess had run in the opposite direction. Liz calculated it would be okay.

She held her gun out before her and slowly pushed open the back door, signaling for Max to stay put. Carefully she stepped into the alley, scanning one way and then the other.

Everything was quiet and still, but a strange feeling settled over her. Something was wrong.

Suddenly she caught the blur of movement out of the corner of her eye, a glint of sliver. Automatically she moved, spinning out of the way and catching her attacker in the back, pushing hard away from Max.

A small voice squawked in her ear. “Liz, we were chasing a decoy. We don’t have the subject. Repeat. We don’t have Tess.”

But Liz already knew, because Tess was right in front of her. She didn’t have time to answer because the blonde whirled on her and charged again.

Liz had only seconds to decide what to do. It would be easy enough to shoot Tess, and she would be within her rights to do it.

The voice sounded in her ear again. “Liz, do you copy?!? Liz, what is your situation?!? Liz!!”

By that time Tess was on her again, waving the knife wildly.

Liz sidestepped her easily, using a hard chop of her hand to Tess’ wrist to disarm her, sending the knife skittering across the pavement.

Tess whirled, screaming in rage, and ran at her with hands extended like claws.

Waiting until Tess was near her again, Liz grabbed one of her wrists and used her weight to spin the blonde around, while with her gun hand she hit Tess in the nose.

Tess doubled over, roaring in fury and clutching at her bleeding nose, but Liz already had one arm pinned behind her, and easily forced her to the ground. She held the wriggling blonde to the pavement with a knee to her back, securing her other arm.

“You bitch!” Tess spat. “You fucking bitch! Max is mine and you’ll never have him. I’ll kill you!!”

The sound of hard running feet came around the corner and Liz automatically pointed her gun, waiting for the next attack, but her own men came into view and she lowered her weapon.

Tess was still yelling obscenities, and in the background Liz could hear the sound of sirens.

“Shit, Liz,” Larry said, jogging up to them, looking at the blonde woman on the ground, “you okay? When you didn’t answer…”

Liz cut him off with a smile. “I’m fine. I was just a little busy.”

Owen knelt down next to them and quickly handcuffed Tess. “We can see that,” he said with a wink.

Max came out of the doorway. “That was amazing,” he said to Liz. “The way you disarmed her.”

Larry looked at Liz. “She was armed?” he asked, sounding almost bored.

Liz nodded toward where the knife had gone. “Her knife is over there.”

She looked from Larry to Owen. “So she had a decoy? She’s never done that before.”

They both nodded.

“When we caught up with the girl,” Owen said, “we could see it was the wrong one. She told us it was just a joke, that some blonde woman had paid her a hundred dollars to act like a crazy fan and then run in that direction.”

At that moment cops arrived at either end of the alley with weapons drawn. “Freeze!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They were in the police station a couple of hours, and Max thought he should feel exhausted, but he was exhilarated.

Energy rushed through him and he knew it wasn’t just because the threat of Tess was finally over. Seeing Liz take Tess down so easily had really turned him on. He wanted her more than ever.

He rode with Liz in the back of the limo to his house, and he was barely able to keep his hands off her. But he wanted some answers first.

When they arrived at his house she came inside with him, and he motioned toward his office. “We need to talk,” he said.

Liz went inside ahead of him, expecting thanks or even a bonus check. It wasn’t uncommon for the people she protected to offer her more money when she had finished the job.

But Max went to his desk, tossing his jacket on it, and picked up a file before turning back to her.

“I know who you are,” he said.

“What?” Liz asked confused.

He held out the file and smiled as he walked toward her. “I had Alex hire a private detective to investigate you,” he said. “And this is what he found.”

Liz felt her heart beating hard. He’d hired a private investigator to check her out?

Tossing the file on the nearby table, Max flipped it open to some photos, and pointed to the top one. Liz recognized it at once. It was a picture of her in college.

But that didn’t mean anything, she told herself. It’s not like she had really known Max in college.

“I knew you were familiar,” Max said, meeting her eyes, “but you denied it. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Liz shrugged nervously. “Tell you what?”

Max took a step closer to her. “So you’re still going to deny that we went to college together? That you don’t remember?” He reached up cupping her cheek. “Because I remember you.”

Liz’s heart leapt momentarily, but it couldn’t be true. How could a self-absorbed, basketball star remember her? She searched his eyes, looking for the truth. “No you don’t.”

He nodded, smiling. “Of course I do,” he assured her. “I noticed you the first day of freshman year; that long, dark hair, that beautiful face, and you were so smart.”

Liz wanted to believe him, but she didn’t. It would be like a dream come true that he had noticed her back then. “You’re lying,” she said softly.

“We even did a group project together when we were sophomores, in our writing class,” he said. “And I remember you hardly spoke to me. I thought you didn’t like me.”

Liz blushed. The truth was exactly the opposite. She’d liked him too much, and it made her shy around him. “That’s not true,” she said quickly. “It’s not that I didn’t like you…” she trailed off, looking down as he stroked her cheek.

“But you like me now,” he rumbled.

Swallowing hard she shook her head as her heart pounded in her chest. “It doesn’t matter what I think, I’m your employee,” she said breathlessly. “I keep you safe.”

“I am safe now,” he said softly. “Thanks to you. You’ve caught the psycho, and she’s locked up. So you’ve done your job.”

Leaning in, he stopped when their lips were inches apart. “And Liz,” he purred. “You’re fired.”

He pressed his lips firmly to hers, kissing her hungrily.

At first she seemed to be surprised and held herself stiffly, but then she melted into him, kissing him back. With a growl, he tightened his arms around her, holding her to him. She was his now.

Liz’s head was spinning with everything that had happened in the last few hours, but one thing was clear. Max wanted her, and she had never wanted him more.

The adrenaline from the attack was still rushing through her, and she was no longer Max’s employee. She had wanted him for years and she didn’t see any reason not to be with him.

Pulling the back of his shirt out of his pants, she smoothed her hands over his skin, finally touching him and fulfilling her years-long fantasy.

Every inch of him was hard and muscular and her knees felt weak just thinking about it.

The touch of her hands on him seemed to enflame Max. He left her lips, nipping at her neck, devouring her. He couldn’t wait any longer. “Bedroom,” he said, in between kisses. “Now.”

He kissed her quickly before wrapping his arm around her and leading her up the stairs. After the first few steps he turned to her, kissing her again, and they stumbled the rest of the way up, barely breaking the kiss.

When they reached his room he kicked the door closed behind them and cupped her face. “I want you so much.”

“I want you too,” she gasped.

Now that she’d decided to sleep with him she felt confident and aggressive. Reaching up she started on the buttons of his shirt.

Growling, Max leaned in to kiss her again. He slid his hand along her neck to her shoulder, pushing the strap of her dress down her arm. He smoothed all the way to her hand, sliding the strap off before he brought her palm to his lips. Then he repeated the action on the other side.

By that time Liz had his shirt unbuttoned, and pushed it off his shoulders, and Max let it fall to the floor. Immediately her hands went to his chest and she slid them over every inch of his skin, paying special attention to his nipples.

Max groaned into her mouth and wrapped his arms around her unzipping her dress and pushing it down her slender body to the floor. He drew back slightly so his eyes could take in every inch of her as she stood before him in her bra and matching panties.

“Damn, you’re beautiful,” he rumbled. “And I want to see the rest.”

Smiling, she reached for the fastening of his belt. “Exactly what I was thinking,” she said breathily.

As she discarded his belt and opened his slacks Max used a twist of his fingers to get rid of her strapless bra. For a moment he gazed at her naked breasts, and then he lowered his head, taking one perfect peak into his mouth.

Liz gasped with pleasure, arching into him, and he couldn’t wait any longer. Picking her up he walked them to the bed and placed her on it, laying her back. He hooked two fingers in the elastic of her panties, and kissed a line down her body as he stripped them off her.

She was completely naked before him except for her heels and he let his eyes rake over her for several long moments. Her hair was spread out around her head and her legs were slightly parted. She looked so sexy and wanton and he was sure he’d never been so turned on.

Leaning down, he took her feet in his hands, tossing one shoe and then the other aside, as he stepped between her legs. She reached for him and again he pressed his lips to hers. He wanted to be inside her but he also wanted to take his time.

Liz smoothed her hands over his back, holding him close. She’d never wanted anyone so badly. Reaching down she gripped the waist of his slacks along with his boxers and started working them off.

Max left her luscious lips and moved to her neck briefly before continuing down across her body. He kissed and licked her chest, stopping to take each breast into his mouth. He kissed and sucked each mound, slowly licking over her hard nipples before moving on.

Soft moans left her and she gripped his hair with both hands as her desire became overwhelming.

He continued across her stomach, nipping and licking her skin and Liz’s gasps grew louder as he reached the juncture of her thighs. He could smell the sweet scent of her arousal and knew she was wet and ready for his total possession.

His erection hardened almost painfully, but he wouldn’t let that make him rush. They had all night, and he wanted to make the most of every moment.

Stroking her thighs, he eased them apart, and continued kissing down through her dark curls and closed his mouth over her clit.

Liz moaned with pleasure as Max started to lick and suck her sensitive nub, writhing under him, gripping the bedspread.

Max left her clit and slowly parted her lower lips with his tongue, going deeper and deeper until he barely dipped inside her. She gasped, arching up into him and he grasped her hips, holding her tightly as he plunged his tongue inside.

It was more incredible than he’d imagined, having her scent surrounding him as her body moved to the rhythm of his tongue. Small whimpers of pleasure escaped her and her hands gripped him tightly.

He stroked his tongue into her again and again, going faster and harder. He moved his hands so he could reach her clit. With one thumb he pulled back her hood, exposing her tiny nub. Then he used the other thumb to brush over her with small circles.

Again she arched into him and he felt her body tightening. She was on the edge, and he sped up even more, stroking her clit harder. Her breath came in quick gasps and her inner muscles clamped down on his tongue as she climaxed around him.

She whimpered and her body jerked as the waves of pleasure rushed through her. Max withdrew his tongue and licked her clit, sending another shudder through her.

As she came down from the orgasm, he took the opportunity to smooth his hands over her beautiful body. His palms stroked up her flat stomach and across her breasts. He watched her move with his touch and marveled at how responsive she was to him.

Their sex was going to be fantastic.

He kissed her stomach as he reached down, pushing his slacks and boxers all the way off, and quickly divested himself of his shoes and socks. He didn’t want anything between them. He wanted them to be skin to skin, sliding against each other.

He noticed that her eyes followed his every movement and when he was fully naked she reached for him again.

The orgasm Max had given her was incredible, but Liz didn’t want to wait any longer for him. She ached for him to be inside.

Max climbed on the bed between her legs, kissing each breast before he reached her lips. Lowering himself he pressed their bodies together and they both moaned with the contact.

He felt like he would combust if he didn’t have her now, and moved down just enough to position himself at her core. Holding her eyes, he slowly pushed forward, sliding inside her one inch at a time.

A look of wonder passed over Liz’s face, and he knew he’d never forget it.

When he was completely inside her, he stopped. Gently he stroked her face. “You feel incredible,” he purred, “so wet for me, so tight.”

Liz smiled. “That’s because you’re so big,’ she teased.

Max returned her smile. “I’m big, huh?’ he teased back. “And do you like that?”

She wiggled her hips a little, making him slide inside her. “Oh yeah,” she gasped.

He kissed her, talking against her lips. “Then you’re really going to like this,” he rumbled.

Immediately he started moving, slowly withdrawing from her almost all the way before changing direction and sliding back inside.

“Oh,” Liz gasped, as her hands gripped at his back. She’d dreamt about having sex with him for years, but the reality was so much better than she had imagined, and they’d barely started.

Max continued his slow pace, watching her greedily. He saw every flex and movement of her body, every soft bounce of her breasts and every strain of her muscles to bring him back inside.

He couldn’t get enough of her; her moans, the way her body moved, the way she tasted and especially the way her hot, liquid core held him inside. She was so responsive, so uninhibited in showing the pleasure he was giving her. He’d never experienced anything like it.

Even though every instinct he had told him to speed up and end it for them both, he kept his pace slow. He wanted to watch Liz’s every reaction as he gradually brought her to climax.

He changed positions slightly, pressing even more fully into her and saw a ripple of electricity go through her whole body. Her hands clutched at him, her fingers digging into the muscles of his back.

Consciously he repeated his movement, concentrating on her sweet spot, and was rewarded again and again with Liz’s gasps of pleasure. Her body squirmed beneath him, trying to bring him inside faster, but he pressed his weight on her, holding her down. He was going to make her cum, but on his terms.

They moved together for long moments perfectly in sync and Liz was getting desperate to climax. Max was stroking into her so slowly she felt like she would go crazy. Reaching down she grasped the two perfect globes of his ass, attempting to speed him up.

Her inner muscles pulsed around his thick shaft and her breath came in high-pitched gasps. Her body jerked and arched uncontrollably and she was covered by a fine sheen of moisture. She was so close.

“Please,” she begged,

Max took her head between his hands and leaned down kissing her, but he didn’t increase his pace. She kissed him back hungrily, their lips sliding together as they attempted to breathe.

He could feel her whole body tightening like a bow and he knew despite her pleas for release, he was getting her there. He didn’t increase his rhythm, but started to thrust hard into her, and she whimpered in pleasure as her hands tightened on his ass.

Slowly he withdrew and then slammed inside her, making their skin slap with the impact. He watched as her eyes started to slide closed and her body arched back. She was cuming.

“Look at me, Liz,” he demanded. He wanted to see into her eyes as he pushed her over the edge. He wanted the connection, and he wanted her to acknowledge who was giving her so much pleasure.

Her eyes met and held his and he saw them fill with pleasure and softness the second before the climax took her, and at that moment he knew he was in love.

Instantly he stopped, pushing deep inside her. He wanted to say the words so badly, felt like he needed to say them, but he knew she wouldn’t believe them. They hardly knew each other, and men often declare false love when they are having sex. He’d done it himself more than once.

But he didn’t want her to doubt him, so he kept his words to himself.

Instead he bent his head down, his lips meeting hers, and he put all of his feelings into the kiss. But instead of satisfying him, it only made him hungrier for her.

He felt like he didn’t get nearly enough of her earlier, and took his time exploring her as she came down. His hands moved over her as he slowly placed open-mouthed kisses on her skin, starting at her chin, licking and sucking, he moved down to her breasts. Taking one soft peak into his mouth, he laved her hard nub with his tongue.

Max’s touches were driving Liz wild again and she knew he wasn’t finished with her yet. He was still hard inside her. She smoothed her hands across his muscled back, raking him with her short nails. She needed him to move again and started to writhe beneath him as the ache inside her grew. Automatically her legs wrapped around him, changing the angle of her hips and making his slide deeper inside.

They both moaned and Max started his rhythm again. It wasn’t as slow this time. Their lower bodies were pressed completely together and each time he pumped into her, he brushed directly over her clit.

As he continued inside her, his mouth never left her breasts. He teased them with his tongue, lips and teeth, bringing soft moans of pleasure from Liz.

Increasing his pace, he smiled as she arched into him, her legs tightening around him. She was close again and he intended to make her cum explosively.

Max sped up even more and Liz’s hips moved with him, straining to meet him. They moved quickly together, both working toward the same goal. He held her tightly and her breasts brushed over his chest as their skin slid together.

He felt her inner muscles fluttering around him and slammed into her even harder and faster. Each of his thrusts inside her brought a moan to her lips and he knew she was on the edge.

This time he didn’t have to ask, and her eyes met and held his as the end approached. He felt the reactions of her body all around him and saw the climax in her eyes the moment before it consumed her.

He pounded into her twice more, exploding, emptying his essence into her.

The whole time their eyes didn’t leave each other. He’d never felt so close, so connected to anyone, and he never wanted it to end. He’d been with so many women over the years that he’d lost count, but he’d never felt close to any of them. At best he had temporarily soothed his emptiness.

But as he held Liz’s eyes, all of his years of loneliness melted away, and his heart and soul filled with the beauty he could see inside her.

Reaching up he stroked her cheek, smoothing her damp hair off her face. To him she had never been so beautiful, and he kissed her gently.

He didn’t want to leave her body and lose the connection, but he was afraid that he was too heavy for her. He slowly rolled them over, careful to stay inside her, settling her on his chest.

His hand smoothed over her back as her breathing slowed, and he marveled at the softness of her skin. Even though he had just had her very thoroughly, he wanted to start all over again.

Usually at this point in a relationship he was already planning how to get out of it, but with Liz it was completely different. He knew he’d never get enough of her, and he wanted her in his life, permanently.

But it was too soon to tell her that. Too soon for words of love, even though he sincerely felt them. She’d never believe him.

So he kissed her head, wrapping his arms more tightly around her, and said the only thing he thought she would accept.

“Thank you,” he whispered into her hair, “for saving my life,” he said. But in his mind and heart he had just declared his love.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

There is still plenty of time to join the Roswell Heaven Summer Carnival!

There are all types of fun and games that run all of August, and the ultimate winner will win a great prize.
Just follow the link – http://roswellheaven.yuku.com/forums/262

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt6 8/12

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thank you sincerely for all the great feedback, and thanks to everyone who is reading.

NotYourChick
Smac – seems like Max is finally growing up
Destinyc
Natalie36
Keepsmiling7
Scorpio6
Mary mary
AlysLuv
Abbs007
Emz80m
Saramlover
Pandas2001 – you know Max isn’t going to like it ;)
Begonia9508
Janetfl
Behr_able
Alien_Friend

You guys are all too smart. You know that’s not the end of Tess! lol

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 7

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max and Liz spent almost the entire next week in bed, and to Liz it was like a dream come true. She’d loved Max since college and finally he was hers. At least for now.

Liz didn’t have any illusions. Max went through women with almost a timed regularity, and she knew she wasn’t any different. She would simply enjoy herself while he wanted her.

And for now he did want her. They made love morning, noon and night.

She’d been staying in his house when she was protecting him, and now she had just moved down the hall into his bedroom. She thought that perhaps she should spend a night or two at her own house, so Max didn’t get sick of her, but every time she tried to leave, Max coaxed her back into his bed.

Laying beside him in his huge bed, she let her eyes travel over his face. He was so handsome it took her breath away. His naked chest was exposed where he’d pushed the blanket down and she smoothed her hand across his sculpted pecs. She couldn’t believe that she was finally with him, able to touch him like she’d always dreamed.

It was almost too good to be true.

She turned away, intending to go shower, but Max’s arm snaked around her waist.

“Where are you going?” he purred sleepily, playfully holding on to her so she couldn’t leave. “We’re staying in bed all day.”

“Max,” she protested with a smile as she turned back to him, “We’ve been in bed practically the entire last week. I’ve got to run some errands and my kickboxing lesson is this afternoon.”

He smiled, kissing her. “Skip it,” he rumbled, his hands roaming over her naked body.

Instantly she was aroused, but she tried to keep her head. “I can’t skip it, I need to stay in shape, keep my skills up for my job. I’ll be getting another assignment soon.”

“You know I wish you would change jobs,” he said, nuzzling her cheek. “I can’t stand that you put yourself in danger. And now you’re going to leave me and stay with someone else full time.”

“Max,” Liz protested with a gasp as he cupped her breast. “It’s what I do for a living. And we can still see each other.”

He kissed her again. “But not as much,” he complained as his palm slid over her stomach.

“Are you sure you have to go this afternoon?” he rumbled. “I have a much more fun way to keep in shape,” he said with a wink, “and we don’t even have to leave the bed.”

“Max,” she gasped as he stroked over her clit, “you have to get up anyway. It’s your weekly meeting today.”

He growled in frustration. “Okay,” he said kissing her neck, “but it’s not for a couple of hours, so until then…” He let his sentence trail off as his lips closed over hers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess paced in her cell, her mind churning as rage and hate rushed through her. She had been in jail for a week and her emotions had only intensified. Her hand ached to hold her knife so she could get revenge.

But she was also worried and sad, and she was having major Max withdrawals. Usually she saw him every day, or at least she saw the photos of him that she had all over her room. And she was sure that Max missed her. She hadn’t been able to send him any letters, and he would know she wasn’t watching him.

He must be so lonely, she thought. He would have given up on her, thinking that she wasn’t worthy of him. She had failed him. She hadn’t gotten Liz out of his life, and she’d been caught.

She still couldn’t believe she’d been taken so easily, and she was furious it was Liz who had caught her.

After her arrest she’d discovered that Liz had been hired as Max’s bodyguard, but it was obvious Liz wanted much more than to be his employee. She wanted to be a permanent part of Max’s life, but Tess wasn’t going to let that happen.

She was going to kill Liz to prove to Max once and for all that she was worthy of his love.

All week she’d been planning how she was going to do it, and she was getting more and more excited. And once Liz was dead, there would be nothing standing between her and Max.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After they made love several times, Max convinced Liz to postpone her errands and join him after his meeting for lunch.

Each week he met with Maria, his manager, and Alex, his lawyer to discuss any business, and afterward they had lunch together, usually with their spouses too.

Today Max knew Michael and Isabel would be joining them and he was eager for Liz to get to know them better.

He left her in bed while he was in the meeting and afterward he waited impatiently in the study with Maria and Alex, for her to join them.

Every time there was a noise outside the room his eyes snapped to the door. The first arrival was Isabel and then Michael, and Max grew more anxious with every moment that passed. He couldn’t get enough of Liz.

Finally she came down the stairs and Max rushed to greet her, sweeping her into his arms and kissing her passionately.

“I’ve been away from you too long,” he rumbled.

Liz smiled. “We’ll have all night to make it up to you,” she teased.

‘Mmmmm,” he hummed as he kissed her again. “I don’t know if I can wait that long. I’ll just have to convince you to skip your class so I can take you back to bed as soon as lunch is over.”

“You’re insatiable,” she teased.

“You’re right,” he agreed, “I can’t get enough of you.”

“But,” she said, motioning into the room, “we’re not alone.”

“I almost forgot,” he growled. “Well, let’s get this lunch over with, and we can continue this conversation.”

With a possessive hand on the small of her back, he led her into the study where the others were waiting.

Holding her close, he made the introductions again, to make sure that Liz remembered everyone, and then thought how unnecessary it had been. Of course she knew who they all were. She knew practically everything about him from protecting him.

They all stood in a group talking for a few moments, and Max let his hand smooth up and down Liz’s arm, feeling like he needed the contact with her.

He was so caught up in her that he forgot his host duties, and Alex stepped forward, speaking to Liz.

“You don’t have a drink,” he said, motioning to the bar on the other side of the room, “what can I get you?”

“Oh no,” she said, “I can get it.”

Alex shook his head. “I insist.”

Liz followed him, and Max started to go with them, but Michael stopped him with a hand on his arm.

“Can I talk to you?” he said, motioning to the side of the room.

Max nodded and went with Michael, but his eyes followed Liz as she moved away with Alex.

Maria and Isabel were left alone, and immediately started talking.

“I still can’t believe she caught that psycho Tess so fast,” Maria said. “What the hell was his other bodyguard doing?”

“I don’t know,” Isabel said, ‘but I am so glad I was wrong about her. Max said Tess had a knife and attacked Liz and tried to kill her. Liz disarmed Tess and subdued her. Max was so impressed that he couldn’t stop talking about it.”

“Yeah,” Maria said, “he talks about her all the time. And did you see the way he keeps touching her?”

“Yeah,” Isabel said disgustedly, rolling her eyes. “They’re sleeping together, big surprise.”

“And his eyes follow her everywhere she moves,” Maria continued, as she motioned to Max, and then across the room where Liz was talking with Alex. “I’ve never seen him like that was anyone. I think it’s a lot more than just sex.”

“What are you talking about?” Isabel asked, her brow creased. “With Max it’s always about sex. And thank you for bringing that up. It’s exactly what I want to think about is my player brother’s sex life.”

Maria smiled. “Didn’t you ever think your player brother would fall in love?”

Isabel shook her head. “He can’t be…” She trailed off, looking to her brother, who was still staring across the room at Liz even though he was talking to Michael.

“And look how happy he seems,” Maria said. “With all the women he’s dated, have you ever really seen him look happy?”

Isabel thought for a moment. “Well, no,” she admitted.

They both looked at him, his eyes still following Liz, and a genuine smile on his lips.

Maria nodded. “I tell you, he’s a goner.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael noticed the constant smile on Max’s face almost immediately. Max never smiled that much. Instead of his usual broody self, he seemed happy, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out why. His eyes hardly left Liz.

“So,” Michael started casually, “Liz is still staying here?”

Max nodded and his smile dimmed as a look of frustration creased his brow. “Yeah, mostly, but she has her own place, and she keeps mentioning going home. I want her to move in.”

Michael worked hard to keep the smile off his own face. “Max, you’ve never lived with a woman before.”

Max shrugged as his eyes returned to Michael. “I’ve had women stay with me before,” he said defensively.

“Yeah,” Michael teased, “over a weekend. Or there was that one woman who was here for, what, four days?” he said, his smile finally breaking through. “So how long are you asking Liz to stay?”

“No,” Max said frustratedly, his gaze searching for Liz again. “It’s not like that. I want her here all the time.”

The smile faded from Michael’s face as he had a sudden thought. Could Max finally be in love? There was a way to test it. “Well,” he said, watching Max closely, “she is smoking hot, and she must be a wildcat in bed for you to want her here that much.”

Max rounded on him angrily. “That’s none of your damned business,” he hissed. “Do I ask you…” he trailed off as he saw the smile on Michael’s face. “What?”

“Nothing,” Michael said, trying to look as innocent as possible. “You don’t want to talk about it, that’s fine.” He quickly changed the subject. “So when are you going to ask her to move in?”

“Tonight,” Max said, “over dinner.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz swung around, kicking the hanging bag as hard as she could.

“Good,” her trainer called out. “Keep your form just like that.”

Liz took up her stance and started again. She had been training for almost two hours and she was sweating and tired, but it had been a good session.

Max had begged her to stay in bed with him, but she reluctantly left him. She had to keep in shape.

Not that she didn’t miss him. Constantly her mind returned to what they could be doing together, and the flush on her skin couldn’t be all blamed on her workout.

And the repetitive motions of her workout also gave her plenty of time to think.

Max wanted her to postpone taking another job so she could spend more time with him. And she was considering it. The opportunity to be with him longer was an incredible possibility. He was so attentive and fun to be with, and he was so good in bed.

Not to mention the fact that she was in love with him.

But she was honest with herself. Max was a womanizer. He wasn’t in love with her. They would be together for a while and he would move on. But she would enjoy the time they had together.

And suddenly she made up her mind. She would postpone getting another job and take a leave of absence, and stay with Max until he asked her to leave.

The voice of her trainer broke into her thoughts.

“Okay, that’s all for today.”

Liz stopped her motion, breathing hard. “Thanks Jesse,” she said with a smile. “I needed my ass kicked today.”

He winked at her. “Anytime.”

Liz chugged down half of her water bottle and gathered up her gym bag, heading for the showers.

The building was an old warehouse that had been converted to a boxing gym. It was huge but there were few people inside this time of day, less than a dozen. A few boxers and ultimate fighters were scattered around using the hanging bags, and sparring inside the several rings. Only the really serious athletes were in the gym so early in the day, and she was one of the few women who worked out there.

Luckily that usually meant she had the women’s locker room to herself.

Even though she ached from head to toe and wanted to stand under the hot spray of the shower for hours, she didn’t linger. Washing herself quickly, she was in and out in a matter of minutes and dressed again.

She wanted to get back to Max because he’d promised to give her a massage before dinner.

Liz waved to the few guys and walked through the always-deserted reception area and outside.

Her car was one of ten or so in the lot and it was parked on the second row toward the back, so she had to weave her way around to get to it. Liz’s phone rang as she walked and she thrust one hand into her voluminous gym bag, feeling around for it.

‘Excuse me,” a female voice called out behind her. “You dropped this.”

As Liz started to turn a feeling of wrongness filled her. For some reason the voice sounded familiar, and she was sure she’d been the only woman in the gym.

And her instinct was the only reason that the large knife plunging toward her heart missed its target.

Liz dodged sideways but wasn’t fast enough to get out of the way entirely, and the knife caught her in the upper arm, the burning pain and spurt of blood telling her it had cut deep.

She screamed in pain, gripping her wound as she spun away around the side of a car, but the damage was already done. Hot, sticky blood coated her hand, but she barely had time to think as the attacker came rushing at her again, roaring in rage.

Liz only had a moment to register a small woman with blonde hair. Tess.

Dodging another blow, Liz slipped around a car as her mind rushed with thoughts. How had Tess escaped? And why hadn’t anyone warned her? And how the hell had Tess found her?

But at the moment none of that really mattered. She had to survive the attack, and then she could get some answers.

Her mind turned back to the current situation.

She had better skills than Tess, but her arm was bad. She couldn’t move it, her fingers felt numb, and with the amount of blood she was losing she’d soon pass out. And then her skills wouldn’t matter. Tess would simply kill her.

Her best option was to go for help.

She tried to run for the building but her arm was slowing her, and the blonde easily cut her off.

“You bitch!” Tess snarled. “You think you can take Max away from me? He’s mine!”

Liz didn’t say anything, looking desperately around. Her car keys and cell phone were in her gym bag which she’d dropped somewhere among the scattered cars, and she wasn’t carrying a weapon. She was in an industrial area and the few surrounding buildings were too far away. She could call for help, but it was unlikely anyone would hear her, and even if they did, Tess might kill them. Liz had to grudgingly admit that it had been a good place for an ambush.

She felt light-headed and dizzy and knew it was from loss of blood. Her only option was to go for the building she’d just exited. She had to move fast, and hoped she had enough strength to get there.

“When I kill you,” Tess continued, “Max and I will be together forever.”

Liz called out to Tess, trying to provoke her. “Max doesn’t want you,” she said, smiling. “He thinks you’re pathetic. He never even kissed you, but he spent the whole last week in bed with me.”

Tess screamed in rage, rushing at Liz, and this time she was ready for the attack. Spinning to the side, Liz swung her leg around, hitting Tess in the back and knocking her to the ground. Then she ran for the door as fast as she could.

When she was about half-way there, she heard Tess running behind her and just hoped she could make it. Her vision was swimming, and the door seemed to sway before her. She was exhausted and felt like all she wanted to do was lay down, but she had to keep running.

The footsteps behind her came louder and louder and Liz knew Tess was catching up with her. If she didn’t get to the door first she’d be murdered on the doorstep.

Finally Liz was there. Without looking back she snatched the door open and quickly turned, pulling it shut behind her and snapping the lock.

Tess was less than two steps away and screamed with rage. Violently she jabbed her knife at the door, trying to break through. The glass cracked but held together.

Liz stumbled back, losing her balance as the dizziness took over. She called out as loud as she could.

“Help me!!! Help!!”

Almost instantly she heard running and shouts behind her.

Tess continued hacking at the door, and the large knife penetrated the glass about two inches. A gleeful, insane smile crossed her face, but suddenly she looked up, and then turned and ran.

Liz’s trainer fell to the floor beside her. He stripped his shirt over his head and balled it up, pressing it to her wound, as he cradled her. “Call 911!” he bellowed.

“Liz,” he said urgently, “you’re okay. You’re going to be okay.”

She could hear activity all around her. Someone was on the phone asking for an ambulance, and several of the other men rushed outside, looking for her attacker.

Her vision was getting blurry and the world felt like it was really far away. And then everything went black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt7 8/22

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys!

Pandas2001
Keepsmiling7
Behr_able
Emz80m
Mary mary
DestinyC
Alien_friend
Begonia9508
Janetfl
Scorpio6
Sarammlover
Addicted2AmberEyes
Dreamers_fan_believe

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max had never been so scared in his life as when he got the call telling him Liz had been attacked by Tess and was in the hospital.

He’d been a little worried when she didn’t come home when she’d said she would. But when an hour went past with no word from her, he’d started to panic.

He called her cell phone with no answer, and was about to dial her gym when he’d gotten a call from her employer telling him about the attack. And then he couldn’t get to the hospital fast enough.

Jim Valenti from the bodyguard agency insisted on sending Liz’s team and Steve, his old bodyguard, to meet him at the hospital since Tess was still on the loose and Max might be in danger. But Max was more concerned about Liz. She was the one Tess attacked.

When he got to the hospital Liz was still in surgery.

Max paced in the hallway while the doctors worked on her. He was told that Tess cut Liz’s upper arm badly, but the doctors were confident they could repair it so she’d have full use. Of course Liz would have several months of physical therapy before she’d be back up to full strength.

And he’d do anything to help her. He had a full gym in his house, and he’d buy any extra equipment she needed, and hire the best physical therapists to train her. He already decided she would stay with him. His house was more secure and he wouldn’t have to worry about her commuting between her place and his.

They’d be able to spend all of their time together and get to know each other better, and he’d be able to prove his love to her.

There’d be no question of her taking another job for a while now either. She wouldn’t be capable of working for months, and he was glad. This injury proved her job was too dangerous and he hoped he’d be able to talk her out of it.

He wanted her to be safe, but he had to admit that he wanted more of her time too. If she took bodyguard jobs she would be living with her clients. But he wanted her to live with him. And he didn’t like the idea of her spending some much time guarding other men. He wanted her all to himself.

He couldn’t seem to sit down as he waited for her to come out of surgery. He was too worried. Everyone told him she’d be okay, but he couldn’t stop pacing.

Finally Liz was wheeled out of surgery and into a private room Max insisted on.

“How did it go?” Max demanded of the doctor. “Is she okay?”

The doctor smiled with recognition. “Max Evans, right?”

Max nodded impatiently.

“I’m Dr. Lewis,” the surgeon said. “Everything went well, no problems. She’ll have full use of the arm when it’s healed.”

Max looked to the bed where Liz was still unconscious. “When will she wake up?”

“It won’t be too long,” Dr. Lewis assured him. “We could call you when…”

“No,” Max cut him off. “I’ll stay with her.”

He pulled one of the chairs next to her bed and sat, taking her uninjured hand.

His eyes traveled over her. She was so pale and looked so vulnerable, and he just wanted to take her in his arms and protect her.

He couldn’t believe how much he had come to care for her so quickly, but it was the strongest thing he’d ever felt.

With her the emptiness inside him was finally filled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess danced around her room, surrounded by pictures of Max. She was so happy.

And she was free.

For a whole week she’d planned her escape from jail, and it had gone more smoothly than she could have imagined.

Basically she used the other women incarcerated with her to do all the work. She convinced them to riot and attack the guards when they were being loaded aboard a bus to take them to their hearings.

Once the chaos started and the guards were distracted, she’d simply slipped away and into the nearby storm drain.

She had studied the system near the jail extensively, just in case she ever got arrested and that had paid off. It had been easy for her to make it to a room in the drain system where she had some extra clothes stashed, and then she stole a car.

She’d driven straight to Max’s house hoping to see him, but instead she was just in time to see a strange car pulling out of his driveway. Instantly she’d recognized the driver. Liz.

So she’d followed the other woman, and when she’d seen the opportunity to get rid of her, she’d attacked.

It was simply luck that Liz got away from her, but it wouldn’t happen again. She had come so close to killing Liz, it was only a matter of time before she succeeded.

Laughing, she crossed to the wall and placed kisses on the lips of each picture of Max smiling at her.

He would know she attacked Liz for him, and he would appreciate it. Her actions were proof of her love.

She bounced to her desk and took out her magazines. She’d send Max a letter telling him everything.

Carefully she cut the letters she needed. M, L, V, E, another L. She loved making the letters for Max.

Using a generous amount of glue she started pasting letters on the paper, forming words.

Max would love her letter, but what he’d like even more was Liz out of his life.

Tess started making a plan as she continued to work. She needed to find Liz and get her alone so she could finish the job she’d started.

She’d cut Liz, so she’d be at a doctor, or maybe the hospital. Yes, Tess thought, the hospital. She was sure she’d hurt Liz badly with the amount of blood there’d been. Liz was most likely at the hospital.

It was the perfect place. People died in hospitals all the time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz came awake slowly, feeling totally disoriented.

She was groggy and her body didn’t seem to be working properly, and then she felt the pain. She couldn’t remember what had happened or where she was, but something was really wrong. She tired to sit up but a hand to her shoulder held her down as a familiar voice spoke close to her ear.

“Don’t get up, Liz,” Max said. “You’ve been hurt. You’re in the hospital.”

Liz tried to get her heavy eyes to work, looking toward Max’s voice. She attempted to focus on him but her vision swam. Her tongue felt so heavy and her mouth and throat were dry. “Max,” she said, her voice cracking with disuse, “what happened?”

He brought her hand up to his lips, pressing a kiss to the back of her fingers. “You were attacked, remember? Tess…”

Liz cut him off. “She had a knife,” she said clearing her throat. “She cut me.”

She turned to look at her arm, noting the thick bandage on her bicep, and realized her vision was clearing.

“Yeah,” Max said softly, stroking her cheek, “and you had surgery to repair it, but you’re okay.” He tried to smile reassuringly. “You’ll be as good as new in no time, you just need to rest and concentrate on your physical therapy.”

Liz’s eyes moved around the room as she remembered. “Tess got away,” she said flatly.

“Yeah,” Max said, “but you don’t have to worry about her. I’ve arranged everything. You’ll stay at my house while you recover, and your team will be there to protect us. Tess won’t get anywhere near us.”

Frowning, Liz shook her head as she met his eyes. “I was stupid. I wasn’t paying attention. She could have killed me.”

“No,” Max soothed, “you weren’t stupid. We thought it was safe. We thought she was in jail. You had no way of knowing. The police didn’t even know she had escaped for hours after she was gone.”

Liz was angry at herself for letting Tess get close to her. “It doesn’t matter if she was locked up,” she said. “I should never assumed it was safe. If it wasn’t Tess it could have been someone else. I let my guard down and paid the price.”

“Hey,” Max said softly, “this wasn’t your fault.”

She searched his eyes and saw only tenderness. For a moment she swore she saw love in his eyes, but it couldn’t be. Emotions rushed through her that were so strong she couldn’t seem to control them; hope, love, then disappointment and sorrow.

Maybe it was the medication, she thought, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Don’t cry,” Max breathed, reaching up to wipe away the tear. “Everything’s okay. I’ll be with you through this whole thing.”

Liz wished it were true. She wished Max loved her.

Holding her eyes, he stroked her cheek tenderly. “Liz I want you to know…”

He was interrupted as the doctor came in. “Welcome back,” he said, smiling at Liz. “I’m Dr. Lewis.”

Liz swallowed hard, her throat still dry. “Dr.,” she started, her voice raspy, “how am I?”

“You need some water,” the doctor said, looking around, “but there’s no pitcher or glasses in here. I’ll call for a nurse to bring some in.”

He met her eyes. “Would you like some ice too?”

She nodded.

The doctor started to move to the door, but Max stopped him. “Let me go, doctor,” he said, “and you can talk to Liz.”

Max smiled at her. “I’ll be right back,” he said, kissing her forehead.

Liz squeezed his hand and nodded. She watched him as he jogged out of the room, and then turned her eyes back to the doctor.

“First,” he said with a smile, “I want to reassure you that your baby is fine.”

Liz’s brow creased as she shook her head. “No, I’m not pregnant.”

“You didn’t know,” Dr. Lewis said. “Well, it is early…”

Liz cut him off. “No, wait, I can’t be pregnant. I’m on the pill.”

The doctor nodded. “The pill isn’t one-hundred percent accurate, and there are drugs that can lower its effectiveness. For instance if you’ve been on certain antibiotics…”

Liz’s hand flew to her mouth. “I was… I had an ear infection…” she trailed off. She couldn’t believe it. Being pregnant was the last thing she’d expected and the last thing she was ready for. How was she going to have a baby in her life?

“Oh my God,” she breathed, “I can’t be pregnant.”

Noticing how upset she was Dr. Lewis started out softly. “There are options if you don’t want to keep the baby.”

“No,” Liz said instantly, her eyes meeting his as her hands covered her stomach protectively. “Of course I want the baby. I … It’s just a complete surprise.”

Her mind was racing. “She was pregnant with Max’s baby. She was so happy, but at the same time she was scared and worried and hopeful.

For a moment she could picture how it would be; Max laughing with joy, his hand rubbing her growing stomach, then holding her hand and coaching her breathing in the delivery, and the smile on his face when he first awkwardly cradled his child.

And then she came back to reality. Max didn’t want a baby, and he wouldn’t want her either when he found out she was pregnant.

She could already imagine the look of desire on his face turning to horror and disgust when she told him.

No longer would he be talking about her staying with him while she was recovering. He would be personally packing her bags and getting a restraining order.

Tears gathered in Liz’s eyes. She couldn’t tell him. She wouldn’t be able to stand seeing him look at her like that. She had to get out of the hospital and away from him before he found out.

Suddenly she realized that Dr. Lewis was still in the room and he was still talking.

“Of course you’ll need to do physical therapy…” he continued.

She cut him off. “When can I leave?”

Glancing at the IV in her arm and the other equipment she was hooked up to, she was tempted to pull everything off her so she didn’t feel so trapped by it.

“I need to leave,” she said. “I need to get out of here.”

Dr. Lewis frowned. “You need to get some rest after your surgery, and of course there is always the risk of post-op infection...”

Liz cut him off again, her voice filled with desperation, grasping at the first excuse she could think of to get her away from there. “I hate hospitals,” she said, “please I have to get out of here. I promise I’ll rest, and I can check in with a doctor. Please,” she said, holding his eyes, “you can give me antibiotics for the infection.”

Reluctantly Dr. Lewis nodded. “Okay. If you feel up to it you could probably leave tomorrow. Mr. Evans said you’d be staying with him, and he said he’d do what ever was necessary. He could get a doctor or nurse to come check on you, but of course you’ll need to see an OB about the baby.”

Liz felt her breath catch. Dr. Lewis had been discussing her condition with Max, but surely Max couldn’t possibly know she was pregnant or he wouldn’t be making all these plans for her to stay with him. He desired her and possibly felt guilty she’d been hurt by his stalker, but none of it would matter if he found out she was having his child.

“Dr,” Liz said breathlessly, “you can’t tell anyone I’m pregnant.”

“Of course not,” Dr. Lewis agreed instantly. “Although I’ll doubt you’ll be able to keep it a secret for long. A big star like Max Evans finally settling down and having a baby, the news will leak out a lot sooner than you want I’m sure. But it won’t come from me.”

Liz nodded, holding his eyes. “You can’t tell Max either,” she said.

Dr. Lewis opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to change his mind and simply nodded. “Of course, you want it to be a surprise.”

Liz didn’t correct his misconception. “Right.”

Again she glanced at all the equipment tying her down. She didn’t know if it was being monitored outside her room, but it would certainly slow her escape if it was. “Can you unhook me from this stuff? It makes me feel claustrophobic.”

At that moment Max returned with a pitcher of ice water and some cups. He poured the cold water into a cup and handed it to her.

Liz took it gratefully, finishing the whole thing in a few swallows. “Thanks,” she said with a sigh.

She turned her gaze back to the doctor. “I feel fine, really. Please can we get rid of some of this stuff?”

“I’d feel better if we monitored you for a while,” the doctor said. “You did just have surgery. But maybe in a few hours.”

Liz nodded.

Max took his seat next to her again. “Baby, you’ll get better faster if you do what the doctor says.”

He rubbed at his eyes, and for the first time Liz noticed he looked tired. How long had he been at the hospital anyway?

Apparently the doctor noticed too. “Mr. Evans you’ve been here for hours. You should go home for a while and get some sleep.”

Max shook his head. “No,” he said instantly, “I’m staying here with her.”

Liz touched his arm. “Max, I’m fine. You should get some rest. You don’t want to make yourself sick.”

Max stroked her cheek. He did need to take care of a few preparations before Liz was released from the hospital, and he needed a shower, but he really didn’t want to leave her.

“I promise we’ll take good care of her,” Dr. Lewis said. He smiled. “I’ll give you some time alone,” he said, “and I’ll be back to check on you again later tonight.”

Liz gave him a smile. “Thanks.”

After the doctor left Liz focused on Max. “I’m fine, really. Just a bit tired.”

Stroking her hair, Max smiled. “Close your eyes, baby, and rest. And when you’re asleep I’ll go have a shower and be back before you wake up.”

Liz sighed. He was so sweet and protective. She put her hand on top of his, smiling as she closed her eyes. She loved him so much, she just wished she could tell him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later Max returned with a huge vase of flowers and a bright smile on his face. He had showered, changed clothes, and everything had been arranged. Liz would be staying with him while she recovered, he had a doctor who would check on her every day, and a physical therapist.

He would be able to spend time with her, getting to know her better, and when the moment was right he would tell her loved her. He’d almost told her earlier, but the doctor had interrupted, and maybe it was for the best. It was still so early in their relationship.

Walking into her room he was beaming with happiness until he saw her empty bed.

Instantly he was worried. She shouldn’t be out of bed so soon after an operation. He glanced quickly around the room and then realized that her guard, Owen, hadn’t been outside her door.

Leaving the flowers next to her bed, Max practically sprinted to the Nurses’ desk. “Where is Liz Parker?” he demanded. “She’s not in her room.”

“She insisted on leaving,” the nurse said. “I tried to stop her, but she had her bodyguard take her out of here in a wheelchair before I could even find her doctor to talk her out of it.”

Max shook his head, confused. “You mean she just left, against doctor’s orders?”

“I mean,” the nurse said, “that she didn’t even tell the doctor she was leaving. She tired to sneak out. I just happened to catch her.”

“Where did she go?” Max asked anxiously.

“I don’t know,” the nurse said. “All I know is that she was in a big hurry to get out of here and she didn’t want anyone to know.”

Max crossed to the other side of the hall and sat down heavily in one of the chairs. Liz had left without saying a word to him. She sneaked out when she knew he was coming back.

What was going on?

He thought they were getting along so well, and he was sure she genuinely cared for him. She’d agreed to stay with him while she got better, so why had she suddenly changed her mind and run away? He didn’t understand.

His mind was a jumble of conflicting emotions and thoughts. He was so confused and so worried and he felt like he’d been kicked in the gut. There was only one thing he knew for sure.

Liz was gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt8 9/15

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks guys for reading and the bumps. Here is a new part!!

AlysLuv
Dreamers_fan_believe
Alien_Friend
Begonia9508
Keepsmiling7
Sarammlover
Lilloucfer
Mary mary
Behr_able
Destinyc
Emz80m
Nitpick23
DaleStateShorty
Janetfl

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max crossed to the other side of the hall and sat down heavily in one of the chairs. Liz had left without saying a word to him. She had sneaked out when she knew he was coming back.

What was going on?

He thought they were getting alone so well, and he was sure she genuinely cared for him. She’d agreed to stay with him while she got better, so why had she suddenly changed her mind and run away? He didn’t understand.

His mind was a jumble of conflicting emotions and thoughts. He was so confused and so worried and he felt like he’d been kicked in the gut. There was only one thing he knew for sure.

Liz was gone.

“Yeah,” the nurse continued, “that girl shouldn’t be out of the hospital so soon. Do you think you could talk her into staying?”

Max leapt to his feet. “What do you mean, she’s still here?”

“Well,” the nurse said, “they went down in the elevator as you were coming up, so maybe you could still catch them.”

Max glanced at the slow elevators and then at the stairs. They were only on the sixth floor, and if he ran, maybe he could catch her.

He started toward the stairs at a jog, when his name was called.

“Max, wait,” his bodyguard called out.

Max had forgotten Steve was with him, he’d been so anxious to see Liz. But he didn’t stop, calling over his shoulder. “Take the elevator, and I’ll take the stairs, and we’ll see if we can catch her.”

“But Max,” Steve called back, concerned, “we shouldn’t separate. Brody is still downstairs, and Tess…”

Max cut him off. “I’ll be fine. Call down to Brody and tell him to come up the stairs,” he yelled louder as he reached the door to the stairwell. “And call Ed in the car to see if he can spot them.”

With a burst of speed Max pushed through the door, sprinting down the stairs. He made it down two flights before he heard someone coming up. Expecting to see Brody, he swung around onto the next landing, but instead came face-to-face with a small brunette in hospital scrubs, carrying a large canvas bag.

“Excuse me,” he said, trying to bob around her.

But the woman stepped in front of him, blocking his way.

“Max,” she said seductively.

For a split second Max thought she was a fan, but the ice-blue eyes looking at him made him recoil.

“Tess?” he said, surprised.

Instantly he started backing up, his gaze raking over her, wondering if she had a weapon.

She followed him, giggling. “I didn’t expect to see you.”

“What the fuck are you doing here?” he demanded.

“Oh Max, you knew I would come,” she purred. “I have to get rid of that bitch for you.”

Max felt a rush of anger. He wanted to punch her. “You almost killed her, you psycho,” he growled.

Tess’ face took on a hard look. “Don’t call me that,” she hissed. “You know everything I’ve done is so we can be together.”

“How many times do I have to tell you, Tess,” he shouted, “I don’t want to be with you.”

Faster than he thought possible she was practically on top of him, wielding a knife. He stumbled back up the stairs, fighting to keep his footing.

“You bastard!” she screamed, jabbing at him with the knife. “How dare you talk to me like that!”

She lunged at him, arcing the knife up toward him.

“Fuck!” he shouted, jumping back just in time, but the tip slashed through his shirt.

Another voice came up the stairs. “Max, are you okay?”

“Help, Brody!” Max called out. “She’s got a knife!”

Tess hissed at him like an angry cat, but turned and ran down to the nearest door, disappearing through it.

In shock, Max stayed where he was until Brody appeared. “She went in there,” he said, pointing. “She’s got on a dark wig and green scrubs.”

“Are you okay?” Brody asked, scanning him quickly.

Max nodded. “Yeah.”

“Go straight downstairs,” Brody ordered, as he ran after Tess. “Steve will meet you.”

Suddenly Max remembered why he’d been going downstairs in the first place. Liz! He sprinted down the rest of the way and burst out onto the main floor, practically slamming into Steve.

The bodyguard noticed Max’s slashed shirt immediately. “Shit, Max, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Max said impatiently. “Did you find Liz?”

“No,” Steve said. “I’m sorry, but they’re already gone.”

Max shook his head, starting toward the doors. “No, they can’t be. They were just here. I’m sure we can still catch them.”

Steve gripped Max’s arm tightly. “Max, she’s gone.”

Turning back, Max’s face fell. “Why?” he asked Steve. “Why didn’t she say anything?”

“I don’t know,” Steve soothed, “but I’m sure she’ll contact you.”

Max nodded, but he wasn’t sure Liz would contact him at all. She’d left without a word, sneaking away to escape him. He didn’t know why, but he was damned sure going to find out.

“Where does she live?” he demanded of Steve. “I’ve got to go see her.”

“Max,” Steve started softly, “I don’t know where she lives. Maybe one of her team knows, but we need to…”

Max cut him off. “Then I need to talk to them,” he said, looking around anxiously.

“The police are on their way,” Steve said, holding Max back. “You have to stay and give them a statement.”

“I don’t care about that,” Max said, trying to shake Steve’s hand off his arm. “I want to get to Liz and,,,”

“Max,” Steve interrupted, “you need to help them catch Tess. Liz won’t be safe until that woman is back behind bars.”

Reluctantly Max nodded, and stopped trying to pull away from Steve. “Okay,” he agreed, “but then I want to see Liz.”

Maybe that was it, Max thought. Maybe Liz had gone into hiding to be safe from Tess. But if that was true, why hadn’t she told him?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess hurried along the hospital corridor and ducked into the first empty room. Quickly she took off the dark wig and the loose scrubs, stuffing them into a closet.

Underneath she was wearing nice slacks and a blouse and she pulled a long red wig out of her bag. Stuffing her blonde curls up into it, she settled the wig on her head. A pair of glasses, a smaller purse and high-heeled pumps completed her disguise. She tossed the canvas bag and comfortable shoes into the closet with the scrubs, stuffed the knife in a biohazard container and sedately walked out of the room.

With a smile she saw one of Max’s bodyguards emerge from the stairwell, but she wasn’t concerned. She knew he wouldn’t recognize her. The heels made her several inches taller and the wig not only changed her hair color but it was much longer than her real hair.

She went to the elevator, pressing the button, and even gave the bodyguard a small smile as his gaze raked over her.

The police would be there in a matter of moments, she knew, but she had plenty of time to get away. Tess was just annoyed she hadn’t accomplished what she’d come to do.

Liz was still alive, and she’d had an argument with Max.

She’d been so excited to see him, but he was obviously mad at her. She couldn’t really blame him for being upset because she’d failed him repeatedly.

She couldn’t believe she’d yelled at him either. When she got home she’d make him an apology letter to let him know she still loved him, and she was totally committed to their relationship.

Finally the elevator came and she smiled as she stepped on and the doors closed. On the way to the lobby she started composing the letter in her head.

When she reached her destination the doors slid open and she was rewarded with another glimpse of Max. His arm was being gripped by another of his bodyguards, and the two seemed to be arguing.

Tess couldn’t hear what they were saying, but she had to resist the urge to go to him. Instead she concentrated on keeping her eyes off Max and getting out the door.

She could just hear sirens in the distance as she got outside, but she wasn’t worried. She’d be long gone before they arrived.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Three days later Max was going insane. Liz hadn’t returned to her house and no one seemed to know where she’d gone. Or if they did they weren’t talking.

The bodyguard who had helped Liz leave the hospital returned to Max’s house later that day to continue his security job. He’d given Max a brief note from Liz, but when Max questioned him, Owen said he’d simply helped Liz pack, and then put her in a friend’s car. He didn’t know where she was going or who she was with.

Max had repeatedly called her phone, but it went straight to voicemail. He’d even scoured the file he had on her, but there was no information about Liz’s friends or family.

He knew she had a sister as well as her mother and father, but he had no idea where they lived. Why hadn’t he asked her more about herself? But he knew the answer. He’d thought they had time to discover everything about each other, and he’d been too occupied making love to her.

Now he was paying the price.

It was all just so new to him. He’d only known her a couple of weeks, but for the first time he’d been so incredibly happy and fulfilled. For the first time in his life his heart was so full and open, and it was all because he was in love. He wanted to spend every minute with her, and the whole world outside seemed like a distraction.

He never thought he’d lose her or the feelings inside him, but now that she was gone he just felt empty. He couldn’t understand why she’d left. He just needed to talk to her and try to get her to come back to him.

When he couldn’t find Liz by the end of the first day, he’d called his brother-in-law Alex and asked that he have the private investigator locate her. But he still wasn’t any closer to learning where she was.

No one had been able to find Tess either.

Somehow she’d slipped out of the hospital even though they had over a two-dozen people searching for her. Then later that day she sent him another letter full of more psychotic ramblings about being together after she killed Liz.

It made Max even more worried for Liz. How could he be sure she was safe with Tess still after her?

Max paced around his study feeling completely helpless. He wanted to be doing something, anything, checking the places he knew Liz went, or just searching the streets. It was crazy but he wanted to be occupied. The waiting was killing him.

“Where can she be?” he asked no one in particular.

“Max,” Alex soothed, “you’re doing everything you can.”

“Yeah,” Michael agreed, “the PI will find her. It’s just a matter of time.”

Max shook his head. “How is it possible that no one can find her parents?”

“They moved,” Alex said, “and didn’t leave forwarding information, that’s all. It happens all the time. The PI can find them, it just takes a little time.”

“I just feel like I should be doing more,” Max said. “I don’t even know if she’s okay.”

Maria spoke up. “Max, there’s that media party tonight for the opening of…”

Max cut her off. “I’m not going to any parties,” he growled. “Liz is missing.”

Her eyes widened at his tone. “Okay, I just thought you should get out of the house and take your mind off…”

“I can’t believe you’re saying that,” he snapped. “Would you go to a party if Michael was missing?”

“She’s not missing,” Isabel said, getting annoyed. Max had been in a foul mood since Liz left, and he was taking it out on them.

“No one knows where she is,” Max growled. “And she just had surgery. She could be hurt or sick.”

“I’m sure she’s fine,” Alex said, trying to calm him. “She’s with her family and they’re taking care of her.”

Max shook his head and resumed pacing. “We don’t know that. We won’t know anything for sure until we find her.”

“Come on, Max,” Michael said, holding out a beer to him, “you’ve got to calm down, or you’ll make yourself sick, and you won’t be any good to her when we do find her.”

The words seemed to take a long time to reach Max but finally he stopped and took the offered beer. “Okay,” he said, taking a quick sip. But his mind was still focused on Liz, and his gaze darted around the room trying to think of anything else he could do.

Isabel crossed to Maria and lowered her voice so Max wouldn’t hear them. “We need to find her soon. He’s making himself crazy.”

“Yeah,” Maria agreed, “and making all of us crazy too.”

“I’ve never seen him like this before,” Isabel said. “He’s dated so many women, and if one left he just moved on to the next one. He really does love Liz, doesn’t he?”

Maria nodded. “Yeah, he’s a total goner. And it seemed like Liz was really into him too. I wonder why she left.”

“I don’t know,” Isabel said. “I’ve been thinking about that, and I can’t believe she didn’t even talk to him about it. Maybe things were moving too fast for her. Or maybe she fell in love with him, but doesn’t think my brother could change his player ways.”

“The note she sent him was really vague too,” Maria said.

“Yeah,” Isabel agreed, “Max showed it me. Liz just said something about needing to get away to recuperate, and to give her things she left here to Owen, and he would take them to her house.”

Maria sighed. “It doesn’t sound like she’s planning on seeing Max again, does it?”

Isabel shook her head. “And heaven help us all if we can’t find her.”

Maria looked at her. “What do you mean? You don’t think the PI can find her?”

“Well,” Isabel said, “Liz is smart and she’s trained to protect people. Her parents have disappeared, no one can find any record of them. Don’t you think she had something to do with that? What if she ‘erased’ any trace of them to keep them safe or something? With her job she could have all kinds of psychos looking for revenge.”

“I never thought of that,” Maria said, “but it makes sense. I just hope you’re wrong.”

“Me too,” Isabel agreed. “Because until Max knows Liz is okay, he won’t ever stop looking.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tess had carefully watched Max’s house, waiting for Liz to return, but for three days there had been no sign of her. So, Tess reasoned, either Max was through with her, or Liz was still in the hospital.

She grinned with satisfaction. Max said Liz almost died, maybe she was hurt worse than Tess thought. And if she was still in the hospital, it would make her so much easier to kill.

A couple of days had passed and Tess thought it would safe to return in a new disguise.

She wore a short, dark wig and carried a large vase of flowers, and when she got to the hospital, she stole a candy striper uniform. No one would question her.

This time she took the elevator straight to the floor where Liz was staying. She approached the room cautiously and didn’t see any security, and was just thinking how lucky she was when she realized the room was empty.

With a frown she checked the room number, but she had the right one. Had Liz been moved?

A smiled crossed her face. Or maybe she was dead.

Happiness filled her, but she had to check. Boldly she went to the nurses’ station and approached the woman on duty.

“I have these flowers for Liz in room 643, but no one is in there.”

The nurse nodded. “Let me check.”

Her fingers moved quickly across the keyboard, pulling up the information, and Tess edged around the desk, eager to see.

“Hmmmm,” the nurse said, “it looks like she checked out, three days ago against doctor’s orders.”

“Oh, no,” Tess said in mock concern, but inside she was fuming. Liz was still alive. Her eyes raked over the information on the screen, looking for an address or anything else useful. But suddenly she stopped in shock, dropping the vase on the floor, and it shattered.

The nurse jumped up. “It’s okay, don’t move. There’s glass everywhere. I’ll get janitorial up here to clean it up.”

But Tess barely heard a word she said. Her eyes were still focused on a single word on Liz’s file.

Pregnant.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz sat at the table with her sister, picking at her lunch. She had hardly stopped crying in the last three days.

She was so in love with Max, and she missed him terribly. At the same time she was happy she was having his baby, but so sad he would never know and never be involved in his child’s life.

When Max had finally left her alone at the hospital she acted quickly. First she called her sister, Serena, and explained everything. Then she talked Owen into helping her escape.

From the hospital Owen had taken her home to quickly pack a few things. Then her sister picked her up and they drove straight to Serena’s house.

She hadn’t told her parents yet she was pregnant, but she would have to soon.

Her sister was completely supportive, but Liz knew she didn’t really understand. Serena could see how sad she was and she kept asking if she wanted to contact Max.

“Maybe you should call him,” Serena said, taking her hand. “You’re so upset.”

Liz shook her head. “He’s never stayed with a woman more than six months. And why should he when there are tons of women throwing themselves at him all the time? It’s the exactly same thing since I knew him in college. He’ll never settle down.”

“You don’t know that for sure,” her sister said. “He’s older now. Maybe he’s changed.”

Liz wiped at her eyes. “He won’t want me or the baby.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once Tess had gotten over her shock that Liz was pregnant she quickly noted Liz’s address.

She was proud of herself for not letting her emotions get in her way, and now she could get revenge against Liz.

The fact that the brunette had tricked Max into getting her pregnant was just one more thing Tess hated about her. And she knew that Max would want Liz and her brat out of his life just as much as she did.

Liz was trying desperately to hold on to Max, but Tess would get rid of her for him.

She drove straight to the address listed in Liz’s file and took a little time to look around the neighborhood. It was quiet and there were lots of trees and bushes to hide her, so she parked her car and carefully made her way to the house.

All the windows were dark and there was a still, unoccupied feeling about it. Confident no one was home, Tess slipped into the backyard and smiled when she saw a basement door.

A few twists of her small metal picks and she had the locks open, entering silently.

Again she paused, listening, but there were no sounds inside the house.

Tess knew Liz wasn’t at the hospital or Max’s house, so where was she? Shopping? Out with friends?

Somehow Tess didn’t think so, but while she was waiting for Liz to come home, she’d have a look around. Going upstairs she looked into a couple of rooms before she found Liz’s bedroom. Her brows rose in surprise when she saw the mess in the room.

Clothes and empty hangers had been tossed all over the bed, drawers were left open, and a few toiletries were scattered around.

Tess suspected instantly that Liz had quickly packed up to go somewhere. A quick check around the rest of the house confirmed she was right.

The bathroom was just as messy, and key items were gone, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste. In a hall closet she even discovered a set of matching luggage, and the empty space where the large bag had recently been removed.

But where had Liz gone? Obviously not to Max’s house. Maybe she went to a friend or her family.

Going back into the bedroom Tess pulled out drawers emptying the contents on the floor, searching for letters or address book, but she had no luck. Screaming in frustration she picked up a perfume bottle and hurled it again the wall.

Then she headed to the kitchen. She tossed everything out of the drawers, growling with rage as the minutes passed and she didn’t find what she was looking for.

She wanted to hurt Liz so much for everything she had done to her. For trying to steal Max, for getting her put in jail, but especially for getting pregnant. That child should be hers!

Systematically Tess ran from one room to the next, looking in each one, and finally found the room Liz was using as an office. She paused as some of the rage inside her calmed. No doubt this is where she would get the information.

Everything would go her way. It was destiny.

She bypassed the computer and went straight to the desk drawers, and in the second one she found an address book. Glancing through it quickly, her attention settled on two entries. One for Jeff and Nancy Parker, obviously her parents, and the second for Serena Parker.

A huge smile crossed Tess’ face. That is exactly where she would start.

It was only a matter of time until she found Liz and finished what she started.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Saving Max (M/L, CC, AU no aliens, mature) pt9 10/16

Post by RoswellOracle »

Thanks for reading guys, and all the hilarious feedback!

Crashandburn
Behr_able
Mary mary – hmmm, I write a good psycho. Should I be worried about that? lol
Begonia – you always make me laugh
Keepsmiling
Janetfl
Alien_friend – she is insane, but scary smart too
Scorpio6
Natalie36
Destinyc
XAF RU208 – welcome to the story!
Sarammlover
Zaneri1 – welcome also. “What kind of knucleheads is Max hiring?” LMAO!
Emz80m

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Part 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After lunch, Serena and Liz took a walk.

Serena lived in a rural area, in an old farmhouse that had been in their family for generations. When they were children they used to play in the fields and woods all the time, and for Liz it had always been a place of happiness.

But her mind was so consumed with her situation that not even the beautiful scenery and peaceful surroundings could calm her turmoil.

Liz didn’t see anything around them as they walked, all she could think about was Max and their child.

It was practically all she had thought about the last three days. She just wanted to be sure she was doing the right thing.

She loved Max so much and wanted to share her life with him. She’d loved him for years, and her love for him had only grown as she’d gotten to know him better. And they were certainly compatible in bed.

Max was by far the best lover she had ever been with. He was so attentive to her pleasure, whether he was taking him time, or taking her quickly. He worshiped her body, devouring every inch of her with his mouth and hands, bringing her to amazing climaxes.

He was so tender and sweet with her afterward too, and he wasn’t afraid to show his affection in front of his family and friends. That fact alone made Liz think he had feelings for her.

And the way he was with her after her surgery, melted her heart. He was so sweet and caring, sitting with her for hours, and making all the arrangements. It’s why she had so eagerly agreed to stay with him while she recuperated.

She thought it would bring them closer to spend time together, and it would give Max a chance to fall in love with her.

Maybe he would have, but she’d never know now.

Max would never believe she had gotten pregnant accidentally. He would think she had done it to trap him in a relationship, and he would hate her for it.

Absent-mindedly she placed her hand on her stomach.

Max was so wonderful that she knew he would make a great father, and she longed to tell him about his child. Was she doing the right thing, keeping the baby a secret?

She wanted Max to love her and the baby, and for them to be a family, but she didn’t think it was possible. Maybe he could have learned to love her if they’d had more time together, but the baby had come too soon.

No, things had to be this way.

Even though she longed to be held in his arms again, she’d done the right thing. Max would forget her soon enough, moving on to the next woman, and he’d never know they had created a child together.

Her son or daughter would never know their father, and it was better that way. At least the child wouldn’t know Max didn’t want them. And Liz would just have to learn to live with her heartache.

Tears pricked at her eyes.

The baby was too soon for her too. She’d never even considered having children. It was always one of those things that she had thought was in the future, when she was married, and in a loving relationship. Certainly not as a single mother afraid to tell her child the truth about his or her father.

And Liz would have to give up the career she loved. She couldn’t take the risk that she might be hurt or injured with a child depending on her.

She just couldn’t help thinking how quickly everything had happened. In the matter of an instant her whole life had changed. She felt panicked and trapped.

Maybe it was too soon for her to have a child. Maybe she shouldn’t keep the baby. She wanted what was best for her child and maybe she wasn’t it. There were agencies that specialized in finding loving homes for children.

Maybe this child would be better off without her too.

Suddenly Liz realized they were back at the house again, and she was clutching her throbbing arm. Her sister was watching her closely with a concerned look on her face.

“You haven’t heard a word I said, have you?” Serena asked.

Liz flushed with guilt. “No, I’m sorry. Tell me again.”

Serena put her arm around Liz, careful to avoid her injured arm. “Liz, you’re exhausted and in pain. I think you should take some pills and try to get a nap before dinner. You’re not doing yourself or the baby any good like this.”

Liz nodded, knowing she was right. Maybe for a while she could turn off her thoughts about Max.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max pounded along the treadmill surface, running hard. He’d thought it would help him clear his thoughts of Liz, but it only gave him more time to think.

Finally he was alone in his house. His relatives and friends had left him for the day, and he was glad.

He appreciated their support and help, but he just needed to be by himself for a while. None of them really understood how much Liz meant to him. They thought she was just another in his long line of women, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Liz was special. She was the one for him, the only woman he’d ever loved, and he had to have her back.

Glancing at the clock, he noted it was close to six o’clock. It would be dark soon and he would have to spend another night alone in his cold bed.

It was amazing to him how quickly Liz had become a part of his life, and now everything just seemed empty without her.

He still couldn’t understand why she had left him.

They were so great together, surely she could see that. They laughed and talked, and the sex was incredible. At first he’d just wanted to get her into bed because she was hot, but that had quickly changed. He fell in love with her faster than he thought possible, and found things with her he didn’t even know existed.

Then he’d wanted her even more.

He’d never desired a woman as much as Liz, and she desired him just as much. They spent almost an entire week together in bed, and it was the best week of his life, and it didn’t even really have to do with the sex.

Sure the sex was fantastic, but it was closeness he really missed. He felt like Liz completed him. She filled the empty gap in his life, and in his heart, and he’d never felt so good.

He loved her, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.

Maybe he’d come on too strong and was rushing her. Or maybe she thought she was only the latest in his continual parade of women, but whatever the reason, he had to talk to her and work it out. Only three days without her and he was going crazy.

He had gotten so desperate that he’d called Liz’s employer about an hour ago, demanding to know where she was. But either Mr. Valenti didn’t know or wouldn’t tell him.

Max supposed it was possible that Valenti didn’t know where she was, but he suspected her boss did know.

Then his private investigator contacted him to let him know he was still waiting on some information about Liz’s parents. But it was talking way too long for Max. He’d authorized the PI to do anything it took to get the info about where she was, including breaking into her house if he had to.

That had been about half an hour ago, and to pass the time Max had started running.

His body was starting to shake from exhaustion, and he reached up, turning the treadmill off. Sweat was streaming down his head and body and he buried his face in a fluffy towel before raking it over his hair. He really needed a shower.

Slinging the towel over his shoulder, he took two steps toward his room, but jumped as his phone rang. He’d left it on a table near the door, and sprinted the few steps to answer it.

He was sure it was the PI finally calling, but when he picked up the phone and saw the name on the caller ID his heart skipped a beat. He ripped it open and pushed the button, fitting it to his ear as he spoke.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Serena looked out the window in her kitchen.

It was getting dark outside and she knew she would have to get her sister out of bed soon, but she didn’t want to. Liz hadn’t been sleeping well at night, and Serena hoped she was getting a couple of hours before dinner.

She didn’t know if Liz had been able to nap but there hadn’t been any noises from her sister’s room for a while, and she hoped Liz was asleep.

Silently she went to the bedroom where Liz was staying and cracked the door open, checking on her sister. Liz slept fitfully, moving around in the bed, her brow creased, and tear tracks stained her cheeks. Her mind was uneasy, even when she should be peaceful.

Serena was really worried about her.

She’d known something was terribly wrong when Liz called her three days ago and asked her to pick her up. Liz sounded uncharacteristically scared and worried, and then on the drive back, Liz told her everything.

Serena was surprised Liz was pregnant, but what really worried her was that Liz had run away from Max without saying a word. Liz thought Max wouldn’t want her or the baby if he knew she was pregnant. She thought it was the best thing for them both that she left, but Serena wasn’t so sure.

For the next three days she watched Liz carefully. Liz was so sad and upset, it was obvious to Serena that Liz was in love with Max. Each day Liz seemed to sink into a deeper depression, and Serena didn’t think it was good for her sister or the baby.

She grew more worried as the time passed, and kept wondering what she should do. Many possibilities had gone through her mind but she kept coming back to the same answer.

Once again she looked at her sister, tossing in the bed, and suddenly Serena made up her mind.

She closed the bedroom door softly, and went into the kitchen to find Liz’s cell phone. Scrolling through the address book she easily found the number she was looking for, and before she could change her mind she pressed dial.

Her heart thudded as it connected and started ringing. She hoped she was doing the right thing.

After two rings a desperate-sounding male voice answered. “Liz? Are you okay?”

The strong emotion in his voice surprised Serena, but it made her feel sure she was doing what was best for both of them. “Um, no. I’m Serena, Liz’s sister.”

“Is Liz okay?” he asked in a rush.

“She’s fine,” Serena assured him. “She’s staying with me.”

She heard Max release a deep, relieved breath. “Can I talk to her?” he said softly.

“Um,” Serena said again, “she doesn’t know I’m calling you. She’s taking a nap. It just that she’s been so sad and I thought maybe you two should talk.”

“Yes,” Max said enthusiastically. “Tell me where you are and I’ll be there as I fast as I can.”

Serena felt a wave of relief. She could tell even over the phone that Max loved her sister. She wanted to tell him the whole truth, but she didn’t think it was her place. But she was sure when Max got to talk to Liz, they would work everything out.

“It’s a about an hour drive,” Serena said. “I’ll give you directions.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With a smile Serena hung up Liz’s phone and placed it back on the counter with a contented sigh. Max would be there in a about an hour and everything would work out. She was sure of it.

She turned to go to wake Liz, and suddenly the whole house was plunged into darkness.

“Crap,” Serena said. “Not another power outage.”

Living in a rural area with old lines, the power went out a lot, especially when any kind of storm was approaching. She hadn’t heard about a storm coming, but she’d been preoccupied with Liz.

The small amount of light still coming in through the window was barely enough for her to make out her surroundings, but she knew her way around. Automatically she went to the cupboard and started pulling out candles, lining up several on the counter.

She got the first two lit when she heard a creaking sound behind her.

Without turning she called over her shoulder. “The power’s out, Liz. I guess we’ll be having a cold dinner. Do you want sandwiches or …”

She never finished the sentence because she had a sudden, sharp pain in her head, and fell to the floor as everything went black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz sat up suddenly in bed.

She didn’t know what had woken her, but her heart was pounding and her breathing was fast. Something was wrong.

Her room was completely dark, and she took a quick glance at the bedside clock to see the time, but the face was blank.

A power outage, Liz thought. They were fairly common in the area and certainly nothing to fear.

With a sigh of relief she got out of bed and slowly pulled on her jeans and shoes. She was still feeling a bit sluggish from the pain pill she had taken, but maybe some food would help.

Carefully she felt her way through the dim room to the door, and opened it, stepping out into the hall.

It was strange how different everything seemed in the dark. The hall felt wider and longer, the house seemed cavernous and empty.

For a moment there was a strange, light scraping sound in another part of the house. Then it was gone.

Liz listened intently but realized she couldn’t hear anything, and she felt a shiver of apprehension.

The house shouldn’t be completely silent. She should be able to hear her sister, or feel her presence, but she didn’t.

Again the feeling of wrongness filled her, but surely she was overreacting. Her nerves were frayed, and the drugs must be making her paranoid. Serena was probably just reading or working on her computer, or even taking a nap.

Opening her mouth, Liz started to call out to her sister, but at the last moment snapped her lips shut. She should listen to her feelings. Something was wrong.

Slowly she moved to the wall and felt her way along as silently as she could. She thought it would get lighter as she approached the kitchen, but the remaining, pale sunlight barely filtered through the windows.

Liz paused in the doorway to give her eyes time to adjust to the room. She still couldn’t hear anything and moved carefully forward. The smell of smoke caught her attention and she turned to see several candles on the counter.

Thoughts rushed through her head. Serena had obviously gotten the candles out and lit them so why were they now out? Where was her sister?

Liz fought her instinct to rush forward, grab a candle and light it. The fire would be a direct beacon to her. Instead she moved slowly through the kitchen listening for anything out of place.

A soft, raspy sound was coming from a few feet in front of her and Liz inched toward it. She was practically on top of it but she still couldn’t see anything.

Suddenly she tripped over something and fell heavily to the floor. Her uninjured arm went out in front of her and landed on a warm body.

“Serena!” she gasped.

Frantically she felt for her sister’s pulse, but a creaking noise behind her made her whip around. There was a flurry of motion, and Liz got a glimpse of blonde hair before her head exploded in a burst of stars.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Max showered and dressed in record time, wanting to get to Liz. He was just grabbing his keys and wallet off his dresser when his phone rang again.

For a moment he considered not answering, but when he saw Liz’s name on the caller ID he quickly pressed the button.

“Liz?” he asked eagerly.

“I’ve taken care of your whore,” an angry voice hissed through the phone.

“Tess?” Max croaked, his throat suddenly dry.

“That’s right, lover,” Tess purred.

His knees nearly went out from underneath him. What had she done to Liz?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC