Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature) END 4/8/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch. 11 7/5/10

Post by mary mary »

dreanbeliever: Hey...he IS creepy! :D
Carolyn: Keep reading...he's a slime for sure! :)
earth2mama: I don't know why? :lol:
Eve: Yeah, that is a surprise...isn't it? :roll:

Hey guys, if my replies seem flip excuse me...I've been up since way too early and I'm really rummy ...

*~*~*
Chapter: 11

Sunday came and went and Monday seemed to roll by without any unusual events. Liz had called Diane and Nancy to set up a time for dinner and they all seemed to think the “Liberty Bell Dining Room” would be a good place for everyone. It was easy access and the place had a way of catering to large families without too much undo stress for all concerned. So Liz made reservations for eleven at 6:00 p.m. and they all showed up right at 5:30 just as she knew they would.

By the time the kids were all unbuckled and out of the Escalade the grandparents had said their helloes and everyone was getting hugged by everyone else. When all was said and done they were all headed into the restaurant by 5:45 and were seated in no time.

All five of the children sat together at one end of the table flanked by a grandmother who sat across from each other. Liz sat next to her mother and Max across from her and then Jeff next to Liz and Philip next to Max. This made it easy for everyone to visit without shouting and soon the men were in deep conversation about the events of the past week while Liz was trying to fill her mother in on all that had happened.

Diane took it upon herself to entertain the kids and after their soft drinks had been delivered she proceeded to pick a straw out of Max’s coke, wiped it with her napkin and laid it across the candle holder that was on the table in front of her. Then she watched as the straw began to bend as it heated up. JP immediately picked up on what his grandmother was doing and pulled his straw from his glass, dried it off and did the same thing as grandma. Soon all 5 kids were bending straws and all were fascinated by the changing of the molecular structure of all of the items. When Liz noticed the action going on at the end of the table she proceeded to tell the kids to stop it and behave themselves…Max and his dad looked at her and wondered what the hell was wrong and then Jeff noticed what the kids were doing and started to grin and looked the other way. Finally JP looked at his mom in all innocence and informed her that grandma started it. Diane just looked at Liz and shrugged her shoulders…

“Just a little science experiment to keep them occupied.” She said. Liz just shook her head and looked at Max who gave her a grin and continued to talk to his dad and Jeff.

Nancy smiled at Liz and said…”As you were saying?” And Liz looked at her mother in utter disbelief, she couldn’t believe that Nancy wasn’t perturbed by the whole business…Nancy just smiled and waited for Liz to continue with her story, which she was truly interested in as well as being concerned about her family. ‘Thank God Liz got out of that situation when she did’ was all that kept running through her mind as Liz continued on with her story.

*~*~*

Meanwhile, back at Philadelphia Memorial a strange little man had managed to follow a group of doctors to a locker room where he observed a supply of blue scrubs and shoe covers all lined up on shelves. He waited until the coast was clear and then managed to take two sets of scrubs, shoe covers, caps and surgical masks. He had a brown grocery bag in his pocket which he unfolded and then placed all of the items safely into the bottom of the bag. He then put a white nondescript package on top of all of the folded items and then made it safely out of the room and headed back to the waiting room in the main lobby where he took a seat in his favorite corner so he could sit and watch without being disturbed. Soon he saw the detective from the Evans’ come in again and he watched as he went to the elevator and rode up to the fourth floor. Don was still here…that was all he needed to know and he picked up his bag and the package and left the hospital and headed to the shelter for the night.

When Officer Bradley got off the elevator on the fourth floor the nurses station was vacant of personnel and this disturbed the detective to no end. What in the hell happened? When he arrived at Don’s room he found the guard missing as well…’what the hell is going on?’ he thought and then he entered Don’s room only to find everyone that was missing in the man’s room. It seems that Don had somehow managed to fall out of bed and was hanging by one handcuff and the other was undone.

Bradley asked John, the guard, “what happened?”

“How did he get un-cuffed?” Bradley was really concerned about this because, even though he knew the man, this was not normal.

“It’s okay detective, I unlocked that one. Somehow he managed to get himself all tangled up and we needed one arm free to get him back in bed. We think he’s having nightmares or something. He keeps mumbling something about the frump and payback. None of it is making any sense.”

Officer John Stokowski was truly in a state of confusion.

“It’s okay John, I thought maybe we failed to lock one of the cuffs properly. We really need to make sure he’s shackled just in case. He not only could hurt himself but someone else as well. After reading his file I’m not so sure he’s psychologically sound.” And Bradley meant every word he said…he realized that Don Adams wasn’t as all together as he had once thought he was.

“Thanks detective, I’ll make sure everything is in order before my relief shows up.”

“Good John, I guess I’ll head on home. I was just checking in to see if there had been any improvement…you take care.” And with that Bradley headed back toward the elevator shaking his head in wonder.

*~*~*

Meantime, back at the restaurant everyone was eating and enjoying their dinners, all science projects put aside, and then it was time to head on over to the school. They caravanned, just like they had planned to do, and when they arrived they went to the first grade class room first and was greeted by Mrs. Johnson, the boys teacher, who was as pleased as punch to meet the entire family and to show off the work of her students. She had art work displayed all over the room and each child had their abc’s displayed proudly on their desks. After looking over everything a familiar little red head from the school pick up area came over and grabbed Gerard by the hand and promptly led him over to a couple about Max and Liz’s age and Liz looked up at Max and smiled and mouthed “Marlene?” . Max just grinned at her and then a mirror of her came and grabbed Parker and took him in the same direction. Both sets of parents caught the eye of the others and smiled a knowing smile and soon the kids were introducing Mr. and Mrs. Blair to the Mr. and Mrs. Evans’ and Parkers. Both sets of parents and all grand parents looked down on the young children and smiled and then Max had to tell on Liz.

“Liz wanted to know if it was always going to be like this…twins for twins?...” and then Liz punched him, out and out punched him hard and he chuckled and said,

“What Liz doesn’t want me to say is that they will probably be having litters!”

And everyone laughed but Liz, she was speechless…he had no business saying that to these people but everyone thought it was funny and she wanted to find a hole to crawl into, then she had to grin too…it was true.

So everyone met Marlene and Maggie, short for Margaret and when they got to the girls room they met Tim and Tom, also identical.

The girls display was sitting in a place of honor on an artist’s easel as you entered the classroom and Liz and Max couldn’t have been prouder. Miss Jacobs was very pleased with her star pupils and spared no praise. Liz assured the teacher that she had nothing to do with their display, it was all on their own and that she too was pleased with their efforts. She did explain that they went to the office supply store for the supplies though. Miss Jacobs smiled and told her that part was allowed. Max and the grandparents hugged both girls and told them that they should all go for desert before heading home in celebration of their good work but Liz said she felt that they should visit the rest of the classrooms and then go home. Tomorrow was a school day after all and maybe they could do something together over the week-end when Maria and Michael were there. Everyone thought that would be better and they all headed to the rest of the classrooms to see what the other students had accomplished before heading home. All in all it was a great day, thank God, and nothing noteworthy had happened.
Nothing that they knew about anyway.

*~*~*

Back at the hospital Joey had slipped into the men’s room and donned the blue scrubs he had placed in the shopping bag, put his own clothes in the bottom of the bag and when he was sure the men’s room was void of other people he exited the stall he was in and removed the trash can liner from the trash bin and put his shopping bag on the bottom of the trash can and replaced the liner with the trash on top of it. He had observed the trash pick up earlier and made sure it was safe to roam at 7:00 in the evening. He then headed on out into the hallway and walked directly to the elevator, keeping his head up and looking straight ahead. He learned a lot in prison and one thing was to keep your eyes straight ahead and keep moving. People had a tendency to ignore you when you didn’t look suspicious. When the elevator door had closed he pushed number 4 on the key pad and waited patiently for the cage to move up. When the doors opened to what Joey figured to be the prison ward he noticed one door with an armed guard in front of it. It had to be Adams room. All the rest of the rooms were glassed in and there were only a few occupied beds that could be clearly seen from the hallway. Adams was not in any of them so he had to be in that room.

Joey made his way to the nurses station and picked up a clip board that was laying on the counter and pretended to check it out as he kept his eye on the officer at the other end of the hallway…when the man seemed oblivious to Joey’s presence Joey simply took the clip board and headed directly to Don’s room and walked in. Nothing was said by either man and Joey was proud that his plan was working. When he got into the room he noticed that both of Don’s hands were cuffed to the bed and Don was hooked up to numerous machines and appeared to be sleeping. Joey made his way over and quietly shook Adams by the shoulder and got no response, he tried again without any acknowledgement at all to his presence and then that cop from the estate walked in…shit!!!

Officer Bradley took one look at Joey and nodded and said,

“I see there’s no change. Do you expect him to regain consciousness anytime soon?”

Joey had to think fast….

“It’s really hard to tell. Well I have other patients to see. Good night .”
And Joey left.

Joey thought to himself, ‘Well, I guess that explains why he’s here. I wonder what happened back there at the house the other day. Who knocked Adams unconscious?’ And he made his way back to the elevator and headed back to the men’s room to change back into his street clothes. He would come back tomorrow and see how Adams was doing. He had to wake up some time … and back in California a young boy wondered about his dad and why his mother hadn’t told him or his sister about him.

*~*~*

The next morning was like any other morning in the Evans household and soon everyone was on their way to school. Max was taking the twins to school today and Liz was looking forward to seeing Olivia. She had been gone for two weeks and although the aging housekeeper didn’t do that much anymore what she did do was better than any physical labor money could buy. Liz loved her and wanted her company, it was as simple as that.

JP went to the facility with Max today so Liz and Olivia had a chance to catch up with each other and Liz also had to point out the device sitting atop the refrigerator, she wasn’t really sure Olivia grasped the significance of the device though, so, after Olivia got settled in Liz told her that Maria and Michael and the two little ones would be here this coming week-end and maybe they needed to make a grocery list and go to the market. Olivia looked at Liz as though she had two heads and Liz put her index finger to her lips indicating to Olivia that she shouldn’t say anything negative about the shopping trip. Olivia looked at Liz strangely but nodded in assent and the two women got their light weight jackets and headed out to the car.

“Olivia, we have had some really strange excitement around here this past week and that thing on top of the refrigerator is a surveillance device. We think it was put their by a detective that was here last Monday and we are supposed to leave the thing alone and act like it isn’t there so now we go outside to talk seriously to each other. The kids are not aware of it and we’d like to leave it that way if we can. JP is our biggest worry…he’s just too open with everything.”

Olivia just looked at Liz as she backed the Escalade out of the driveway…

“Liz, what do you mean by excitement for God’s sake?”

“Well, to make a long story short, according to JP I whacked a guy over the head with a bacon skillet and killed him. I didn’t kill anyone but, Don Adams, the man that tried to have me killed was paroled and he broke in and held JP hostage. JP got away and I did hit him in the head with a skillet full of bacon grease and he’s now in the prison ward at the hospital in a coma. They don’t know when or if he’ll come out of it but all of his vitals seem to be okay. As sneaky as that bastard is I wouldn’t put it past him to be faking the whole damned thing.” Liz was getting herself all worked up again and had to stop talking.

“My God, who let that idiot out of prison?

“The new governor of Connecticut…seems he released model prisoners in order to save money.”

“Good God in heaven…pin a medal on him. He just won the insane award of the year!” Olivia was beside herself. “Who in the hell nominated the nut for the office in the first place? Sometime I think we would be better off without leaders, just give us the constitution and a forum of people willing to donate their time to see to it that the rules are enforced and we would be better off.”

Now Olivia was getting herself all worked up as well as Liz.

Liz giggled at her old friend and said…

“Well, you know Liv, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.”

And the two women finally arrived at the supermarket and exited the car to go in and buy some things they really didn’t need but it was good to get out without the kids for a change and Liz was thoroughly enjoying her visit with Liv as was Olivia. Olivia told Liz all about her grandkids and was so happy to have been able to spend the time with them. She also said that she was glad to be home again and Liz agreed…it was always good to be home.

Neither woman noticed the automobile that had followed them from the house to the market and the inhabitant thought it would be best to keep his presence unknown.

Meanwhile, back at the house another person was trying to figure out the best way to get into the estate un-noticed when he saw one of the biggest black dogs he thought he had ever seen in his life looking right back at him through the fence and the dog didn’t look too pleased. Now he would have to figure out the dog’s routine as well as the rest of the family…’This just wasn’t the best idea Adams ever had’ Joey thought to himself. Don needed to wake up and soon.

After Liz and Olivia had finished their grocery shopping, and Liz realized that the trip was not in vain, they headed off to the little coffee shop next to the grocery store for a little r & r before heading home to stow all of the groceries. The two women were having a wonderful morning catching up on all of the events that had happened in the past two weeks, although Liz had the more dramatic tale to tell, and Officer Bradley was having one helluva time trying to stay awake.

This had to be the most boring idea he had ever come up with…nothing this woman did was any more interesting than what his wife did, he was better off with the waitress down at the ”Liberty Bar”. At least she knew he existed and was willing to spend some time with him… this woman didn’t seem to give a damn whether men were interested in her or not. He would never understand women… never. He made an effort to call on her and she had to report him to the captain of all things…and that damned dog of hers would most likely take his leg off if he got too close to her. What’s with that?…Most women would welcome some change in their lives, and the sarge, what in the hell was wrong with him letting a piece like that get away from him. The man had to be nuts for sure. Ed Bradley was living in a totally different world than the one surrounding him, it seems that his brain had taken a vacation leaving his body in its’ wake and he continued to watch Liz and Olivia.

After leaving the coffee shop Liz and Olivia thought it best that they get home and put the groceries away before the rest of the crew started to arrive from various parts of the city. Max had pick up duty today so Liz was free to do whatever she wanted to and she wanted to get ready for the big week-end with Maria and Michael.

“You know Olivia, I think maybe we should hire some help to get ready for Michael and Maria, what do you think?”

Liz left these types of decisions up to Olivia since she knew her limitations better than anyone else. There was a time when the two of them could handle all of this by themselves but that was before 5 kids and old age…not necessarily in that order.

“Well, maybe you’re right…what do we need to get done? I don’t think we should do the windows until the rain stops for awhile and the gardener seems to have the rest of the outside in order so what do you think…routine, tear it up and put it back together?”

Olivia and Liz had things pretty much figured out as far as the household chores went and with 5 kids, just keeping up with the laundry was a task in itself.

Officer Bradley sat in his car and just rolled his eyes at the conversation going on in the house and then he noticed something strange on the side of the fence next to the gate…what the hell?

“Yeah, let’s just get some youngsters in here to move the furniture around to dust and vacuum everything really good and you and I can wash all the knickknacks and take care of the rest of the stuff, like cooking. Does that sound about right?”

“Sounds good to me…I’ll call the employment agency and get those two youngsters we had over before the fourth of July. They really were good little workers, reminded me of Jo Ann, Charlotte and the girls. Remember when we first started working with them? They were a God send!” And Olivia smiled as she remembered the young college students.

Liz returned Olivia’s smile and nodded in agreement. They truly were a God send and they still are. The children’s facility wouldn’t be half the success that it is without them.

“You know Liv, I think I’ll give Max a call and remind him to invite them over for a bar-b-que on Sunday…he probably already has but just in case. Maria and Michael both think the world of them and if they don’t have any plans I think it would be nice to see all of them. How about you, do you have any plans for this week-end?”

The four college girls that Liz had hired to help out on her and Max’s first Thanksgiving proved to be one of the best things she had ever done for their family and their enterprise. They were able to help the girls after they graduated. They had agreed to work off their loans by working at the children’s facility for a time but since then the loans had all been paid back, the girls had all married, Joanne marrying Charlie’s son, and they were all still working at the facility. They were not only a part of the enterprise they were definitely a major part of their lives as well.

Olivia smiled at her dear friend and nodded…

“No. No plans Liz, we’ll be happy to come over…about 3:00 or so?”

Liz smiled her happy smile,

“3:00 would be great!”

And the two women continued to put food away while Ed Bradley tried to figure out who was doing what outside the estate. The PI that Jesse had sent to Philadelphia was now parked across and down the street from Ed Bradley wondering just how damned many men were watching the place. It was time to get in touch with Jesse and tell him what was going on here. It’s like a comedy around this place, everyone is watching everyone and no one knows who the hell the players are and farther down the block sat Carl, Bradley’s partner, taking it all in.

*~*~*

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch. 12 7/14/10

Post by mary mary »

dreambeliever: Yeah..."rummy": very old description of 'being out of it'. Probably older than the 50's when my friends and I started using it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carolyn: Your name suits you, you have to be the sweetest fb'r out there. Thanks. :)
Eve: Did the darkness help? Hope so, maybe my explanation did...anyway, I hope things get more clear as we move along. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 12

The week-end finally arrived and Olivia had overseen all of the work that needed to be done while the yard and pool work was being overseen by the private investigating team that Philip had hired. It seems that Jesse’s man was none too pleased with all of the activity going on outside the grounds of the estate and told Jesse they needed more identifiable security.

Max had the limo service pick up Michael and Maria and the two children on Friday morning , Michael Jr., Junior for short, and two year old Amelia Elizabeth, Ellie for short, and everything was moving along right on schedule.

Max had informed Michael about the listening device on the refrigerator and to pretend like it didn’t even exist and Michael insisted that they have a little fun with it. Max wasn’t too sure it was such a good idea but knowing Michael anything could happen. So after getting everyone settled in and all the kids were happily playing Maria and Liz settled in the kitchen with Olivia to see about lunch.

“Maria, I know the kids all like peanut butter and jelly but is there anything special they like. Mine eat most anything.”

Maria smiled at her old friend and nodded…

“Well, you can place the fanciest, tastiest morsels on earth in front of them and they will still ask if there’s peanut butter and strawberry jelly so why don’t we just stick to the basics and make it easy on ourselves. A couple of cookies and a glass of milk and we’re good to go.”

Liz and Olivia giggled at that statement and knew exactly what she was talking about.

“We have homemade chocolate chip or Oreo’s…which is it?”

Maria gave her head a nod and grinned…

“Oreo’s of course! Where’s your head girlfriend?”

And they all laughed.

So, it was peanut butter and strawberry jam with Oreo cookies and milk. Olivia laughed as she cut up some apples remembering her own kids at that age and they were totally right…stick to the basics.

Michael had informed Maria about the trouble Max and Liz was having and about the Don Adams situation so Maria pointed up toward the top of the refrigerator and gave Liz a questioning look…Liz just nodded, letting her know that it was still there. Maria got a twinkle in her eye and Liz stood there and shook her head NO fiercely and Olivia knew exactly what was coming as did Liz…

“So Liz, are there any new love interests in your life?”

Max and Michael were headed to the kitchen and they both overheard the question and Max looked at Michael with this “she wouldn’t. Would she?” look on his face and Michael grinned, shaking his head no and motioning for Max to hush.

Olivia almost spit out her coffee she had just taken a drink of and Liz looked at all of them like they were nuts…Max looked at Liz and grinned and nodded toward the refrigerator and so Liz decided to go with the flow.

Bradley did spit his coffee all over himself and the PI, who was tuned into the channel on the receiver, started to howl with laughter. He knew Max and Liz from way back and was totally aware of what was going on.

“Maria, be quiet, what if Max hears you? We’ll have to talk about this later.”

Liz didn’t have to pretend to be surprised because she was…she needed a minute to gather her thoughts.

“Ah, come on Liz, there must be someone who’s caught your eye. You know we can’t survive with the same old stuff all of the time! Variety girlfriend, you know the routine. What about the pool boy last year? How did that work out?”

“Ohhhh, you mean Johnny? Well he moved on so now we have a pool man. Very old! Very, very old but the new manager of the book store down town, well let’s just say he is very interesting…but I don’t think we should be talking about this right now. You know…the kids, Max, Michael…you just never know who might be listening.”

In the meantime Max was behind Liz holding her around the waist and whispering things into her ear that she could tell Maria and Olivia had to leave the room.

“Well, we definitely have to get together with some one on one time girlfriend…you can’t be having secrets from me.” Maria giggled back in response as she put the finishing touches on some sandwiches for the adults.

And with that Michael said,

“Hey Maria, the kids need some more milk…they need to dunk their cookies and Ellie is a mess. She tried to split her cookies like the big kids and managed to spill her milk all over herself and refuses to let me clean her up.”

Liz, Maria and Olivia all laughed at him and Liz grabbed a wash cloth while Maria grabbed the roll of paper towels from the kitchen counter, Olivia grabbed the milk from the refrigerator and they all headed to the sun porch where the kids were having lunch. Michael and Max high fived each other and were hoping that tomorrow would be as nice as today so they could get out on the golf course with Philip and Jeff. Michael glanced up at the refrigerator and saw the device laying there and just shook his head. It’s a good thing this was happening to Max because he knew Maria would flip out and he would have to kick some serious ass if this shit happened at his house.

After the women got the mess cleaned up Maria decided it was time for Ellie to take a little nap, she was getting very cranky and the other kids needed a rest away from her so she headed upstairs with the toddler whining and rubbing her eyes and Michael decided to follow her and her mother to help make her feel better. Michael was a real big sucker for his kids and when they were unhappy he was unhappy.

In the meantime Max took the older kids out to the backyard for a game of croquet since they winterized the pool last week-end due to all of the bad weather and JP and Junior found a dirt pile where JP kept his skip loader and dump trucks and the two four year olds decided that this was where they would rather be. Max took one look at the semi-mud hole the two were playing in and decided “what the hell”, he’d just squirt them off with the hose before taking them back into the house.

Soon Michael joined the rest of the kids and Max and was having himself a ball. Max just grinned at his old friend…he had come a long way since that skinny little waif he was when they were this age, he truly loved his family and it showed in everything he did and said.

Meanwhile JP and Junior were over at the dirt pile Max had purposely left unattended for just this reason and the two four year olds were having a great time loading up the dump trucks and moving their loads across the flower beds to another dirt pile when JP told Junior that he would be right back…he had to pee.

“Where are you going?”

“In the house to the bathroom.” JP answered …

“Why?” Junior was confused.

“Wha’d’ya mean, why?” JP asked.

“I mean why go in the house…just pee over there, against the tree…watch!”

And Junior proceeded to show JP how to pee against the tree.

“Do you do this a lot?” JP asked Junior.

“Only when I’m outside. My dad showed me how to do this when we went campin’. It’s cool, you don’t have to wash your hands or nuthin’.”

So JP whipped it out and peed against the tree out in the back yard while Jack laid in a grassy area keeping an eye on the pair of eyes watching from the other side of the fence through the shrubs. Jack wasn’t too sure about the current activity going on over at the tree but he kept his growls to a minimum and JP and Junior had a great time making designs.

Joey Sabotini was having a tough time containing his laughter at the sight of the two four year olds but he had a sneaking suspicion that the slightest movement from him would bring the world as he knew it down around him so he remained quiet.

After the croquet game was over and Max and Michael cleaned JP and Junior up enough to get them into the house and to a shower they all congregated in the family room while Liz and Maria got ready to serve dinner.

“What have you girls got planned for tomorrow?” Max asked and Liz looked at him questioningly…

“Why? What do you have planned?” She asked with one eyebrow raised in a ‘you better be careful’ look.

“Well, Michael and I are going to play golf with dad and Jeff and we wondered what you guys wanted to do? After?”

Max thought he’d better add ‘after’ because the look on Liz’s face told him that she might not be too pleased with this idea. Michael picked up on the mood change immediately and looked over at Maria and saw the one eyebrow raised and knew he’d better come up with something quick.

“Why don’t we plan on dinner out tomorrow evening? We could get the grandmother’s to come over and stay with the kids or, we could take them all with us. What sounds like fun?”

“Well, I don’t think it would be much fun for Diane or Mom to come over and baby sit after having their husbands out on the golf course all day with you two. Do You?” Liz answered him before Maria had a chance to.

Then Max really took a look at Liz and had to ask…

“Liz, if you don’t want us to go we won’t…honest sweet, we’ll stay home.”

He knew that Liz wouldn’t leave the kids with all of the stuff going on and he didn’t know what to do.

“What time is your tee-off?”

“At 7:00, why?”

“Well, if you tee off at 7:00 then you probably will be back by 12:00 or 1:00 at the latest. Why don’t we take all of the kids and the grandparents ice skating over at the facility. We could invite the other kids as well and make it a party for all of them.”

Max thought about it for a minute and then said…

“Although I think it would be fun to invite the other kids, why don’t we just have a party for our kids. I think we’ll have enough to do to keep track of these 7 without adding another 24 to the group, the magnificent seven aren’t around for entertainment anymore Liz.”

Liz thought about it for a minute and then agreed, but she did want the grandparents included.

Max thought that would be a great idea and so it was decided that they would have a skating party tomorrow afternoon.

“What about dinner tomorrow night…a bar-b-que sound okay?” Max asked.

“No, we’re having a bar-b-que on Sunday with everyone invited, maybe the pizza parlor, what do you think? The kids will love it. If we plan it just right maybe we can go to church tomorrow night and not have to worry about it Sunday morning.”

And everyone was happy.

On that note Maria and Liz headed to the kitchen to put the lasagna in the oven that Olivia had made earlier and Maria started setting the table while Liz assembled the salad and started spreading garlic butter on the loaves of French bread sitting on the counter.

After dinner Liz put a DVD on for the kids and, after reading the title, Max looked at her like she was nuts.

“Liz, what in the hell did you get this for? They’ll be having nightmares all night long.”

“What do you mean Max? It’s a fairy tale, they’ll be fine.”

“Dragon Wars?!? For God’s sake…it’s full of creatures!”

“It’s not real Max. They know this… soldiers forming out of swarms of flies and huge slugs, bigger than tanks that shoot fireballs from big guns mounted on their backs and flying, hairless birds biting helicopters out of the sky…and then there’s those huge monstrous snakes. Hell Max, it’s a comedy!”

“Whatever you say Liz, but you’re the one that’s going to be getting up with them if they scream in the middle of the night.”

“Fair enough Max…I’ll get up if they scream, but I bet they laugh at it.”

And Max just shook his head at her…she was going to get up with them, not him.

The next morning Liz heard Max in the bathroom at 5:30 a.m. getting ready for his golf game…and just as she predicted, no kids had nightmares. She decided to get up and make some coffee for him and Michael so she grabbed her robe and headed down the back stairs. Apparently Max had been down earlier because Jack was scratching at the back door to come back in. She went to the laundry room to retrieve his dishes and it seems he had been fed and watered as well, then she rounded the corner and she saw Michael sitting at the table reading the morning paper.

“Good morning Michael. Did you sleep well?”

“Good mornin’ Liz…yeah I did, thanks. Any nightmares?”

“No. How about you?” And they both grinned.

“No. None. Ellie is still asleep and I think JP and Junior might have something going on in JP’s room. I heard them giggling when I went past but I didn’t want to disturb them, they seemed like they were really having a good time.”

“You know they really are great friends for as little as they see of each other. It’s not like when you and Max were little and saw each other all of the time. They only see each other a few times a year and yet they so look forward to those visits. Maybe it’s because we talk about you guys so much. What do you think?”

“I think you might be right …they are great friends and I know that Junior loves to come and visit.”

About that time Max came into the kitchen all fresh and ready for the day. He had a box of golf balls in his hand and asked Michael if they were okay for him.

“Sure they are Maxwell…why wouldn’t they be?”

“No reason, but if you preferred a different brand or something we can always stop at the pro-shop.”

“No, these are fine.”

“Great. You know what? I think I’ll put a couple in the micro-wave for a minute and heat them up. It’s a little chilly out there and maybe if we warm them up they’ll fly better.”

Then Liz piped up and said,

“Oh Max, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

Michael didn’t know who to believe at this point but Max had already put the golf balls in the microwave and when the timer went off Max put four of the balls into his pocket and started toward the coffee pot when a couple of the golf balls actually blew the pocket out of his pants and little rubber bands started to bounce all over the kitchen. Michael grabbed Liz up physically and ran to the back hallway holding her up off the floor by her shoulders and Max grabbed his head and started dodging golf balls as they blew the side of his pants off and then the remainder continued to blow up all over the place.

Liz and Michael stood in the safety of the doorway and then Liz started to laugh, hysterically laugh, and Michael joined in. Soon Maria came running down the back staircase and couldn’t get past Michael nor Liz so she peaked around Michael’s arm and saw rubber bands flying everywhere while Max Evans had his arms over his head, the side of his pants gone, and he looked like he was doing an Irish jig in the middle of the kitchen floor as his wife looked on in hysterical laughter.

“What in the hell is going on Michael?” Maria screamed to be heard.

“Never warm golf balls in the micro wave Maria.” Michael stated simply as he wrapped his arms around his wife and Liz.

After everyone calmed down Liz looked at Max and said simply…

“You’re cleaning this up.”

Max just looked at his little wife, bent over and kissed her on the nose and smiled…

“that’s what I figured.” He said and headed to the hall closet, the right side of his pants half gone, and retrieved the vacuum. Liz grabbed the coffee pot, three cups and headed to the sun porch.

“Do you think we should call Philip and Jeff?” Michael asked.

“Nah, it won’t take him long to get most of it with the vacuum. We can hire the cleaning people to come in and get the rest of it after this other shit is over with. I’ll sure be glad when that damned listening device is gone. It’s getting harder and harder to remember that the thing is even there. At first it was all we could do but think about it and now it’s becoming second nature. I’ll sure be glad when they get this all figured out. I can’t for the life of me come up with a good reason to have it there. We sure as hell don’t have anything to hide.”

Liz was in a real quandary over this and Michael and Maria could see this in her eyes.

“Liz, maybe it has nothing to do with the case at all…maybe it’s personal.” Maria stated…

“What do you mean personal, Maria?” Liz was confused now…

“Liz, you said this cop kept showing up everywhere you went…maybe he has a thing for you, maybe we didn’t miss it by much by our little game yesterday. Like you said, the case is cut and dried…Don broke in with a gun, held JP hostage and threatened bodily harm. He broke his parole. I don’t think this has anything to do with the case, I think it’s personal.”

“Oh shit Maria…if Max thought it was personal he’d go kick the shit out of this guy. You know how he gets when one of us get threatened, you just can’t mess with his family like that. He won’t put up with it. Oh my!”

And Liz was really worried now, not for herself, but for Max.

Then Michael felt the need to smooth this over…leave it to Maria to let her words leave her mouth as they crossed her brain before being filtered…

“Liz, we don’t know that for sure…there could be any number of reasons for all of this…let’s just let the experts deal with it, okay?” And Michael looked at Maria and gave her a look that said “ENOUGH” and Maria understood.

It was only fifteen minutes later that Max came out to the sun porch with a coffee cup in his hands, clean pants on, to join the group before heading to the golf course. He had called his dad and told him that he and Michael might be a little late and to just wait for them…and if he got there before he and Michael to buy him a box of his regular golf balls. His dad wanted to know what happened to the box he bought last week and Max told him he would explain later and they rung off.

So Max had his coffee, they all had a nice conversation and then Max and Michael took off. Soon the kitchen started filling up with little people and Maria and Liz started getting busy fixing breakfast. Gerard found a chunk of rubber in the corner of his chair and wanted to know what it was and Liz told him to throw it away…just some trash… and the little one did as his mom suggested but he couldn’t figure out what it was for the life of him.

*~*~*
A/N: Please don't put golf balls in the microwave...they really do explode! Ask my brother-in-law! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Age is just a state of mind"...I think that's mine? I could be wrong! I'm old, so sue me.
mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Meet the Evans' Clan AU N/A M/L Mature ch. 13 7/25/10

Post by mary mary »

Earth2Mama: Best girlfriends are an absolute must...it seems like they are ageless. As for Michael Jr., well let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...he and JP are both sweethearts, just ask their grandmothers! :D :D :P :D
Dreambeliever: Trust me, I know exactly what you mean...honest! :lol:
Carolyn: I'm sure your neighbors knew better...they just do the damnedest things when you least expect it and think nothing of it. The only problem is, when we're younger we're devastated, it takes a grandmother to understand. Maybe because we've been through it? :wink:
XAF RU208: Welcome to my story and thank you for your kind words. You need grandchildren to remind you of what it's like!!! :)
Eve: Thank you for your comments...Golf is an expensive sport here in the US as well and my brother-in-law did try to warm his golf balls in the micro wave. He thought it would improve his game. His wife said it took a year to finally find all of the little rubber pieces that had exploded. I didn't make that up! HONEST! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chapter: 13

Max and Michael met up with Jeff and Philip right at 8:00 a.m. and all four men were ready to go…but Philip had to know why Max needed more golf balls and Michael had to leave Max to tell his own story. Philip and Jeff both looked at each other in disbelief and then Michael had to get into the good parts after letting them know that Liz had told Max it wasn’t a good idea. By the time Michael had finished, in great detail and with grand flourish, all four of the men were doubled over in laughter. Philip looked at his son and had to ask…

“Max, don’t you ever do anything easy?” And they laughed even harder.

Max looked at his dad and grinned…

“Doesn’t seem like it does it?” And with that they all headed toward the golf cart and got ready for a morning’s game of golf. Max did tell his dad and Jeff that they were going ice skating after they got home so don’t get too tired. Philip looked at his son and grinned…

“Suck up?” And Max grinned back at his dad…

“Yes and no…it’s only fair.”
And they all smiled, it was only fair… I guess.

Back at the house Maria and Liz had all the kids bathed and dressed and ready for some morning fun of a different kind when the phone in the office rang.

Liz took off and left Maria in the family room with the rest of the bunch and when she finally got to the phone it had started to go to the answering machine just as she picked it up.

“Hello.”

“Hi Liz, it’s Jesse. I tried to get hold of Philip but he wasn’t home so I thought maybe I would find him at your place. Would he be there by any chance?”

“Hi Jesse, no he isn’t. He and Max are golfing with Michael and Jeff this morning, I’m sure they all have their phones off... Is it urgent? I can call the golf club and get a message to him if you need me to.”

“Oh no Liz, it’s nothing like that…I just thought I would bring him up to date on the Don Adams situation before I went home. I’ll just fax the information over to him. How’s everything with you?”

Jesse was concerned about the listening device and wanted to get this taken care of as soon as possible and he didn’t want Liz to know that another man was watching their home besides Ed Bradley so he figured that he would just have to wait and tell Philip…then he had a brainstorm…

“Liz, that gardener that I sent over, is he still there?”

“Yes Jesse. We put him up in the pool house…As a matter of fact there are two of them. One takes care of the pool, which there isn’t much to take care of at this time of the year, while the other one seems to spend a lot of time weeding the flower beds. Max is going to have the “pool” guy check out some other stuff around the house and see if he’d like to earn some extra cash. How much longer do you think we’re going to need this type of service Jesse. It’s not like they’re any bother but it really is nerve wracking as hell knowing why they’re here.”

Jesse kept the sigh he was holding to himself and took a deep breath…

“I can just imagine Liz. We’re doing the best we can, honest. We just can’t figure out why in the hell the guy put the device in your home to begin with and we don’t want to tip our hand until we know his reasoning. We have to prove that his intentions are not in your best interest if he’s the one that did it before we can file a formal complaint.”

“I know Jesse, but I’m almost willing to let it go just to get back to normal.”

“Liz, we’ll do whatever you want us to do but I would strongly advise that you go along with the program as it is right now. It could become dangerous.”

“I know Jesse, and thank you. Do you want me to have one of your guys call you?”

“No, I’ll just call them and check up and see if there have been any new developments. Thanks Liz and relax. We’ll get you back to normal soon, I promise.”

“Okay Jesse, take care and bye for now.”

“Bye Liz, and enjoy your company.”

And the two old friends rung off.

Jesse called the cell phone out in the pool house to check on his men and got an answer on the second ring…

“Hi Jones, Jesse here…anything interesting to report?”

“Yeah, as a matter of fact there is. This is, without a doubt, the strangest case you’ve ever put me on. There are more people watching this place than there are secret service in the white house, I swear!

That Ed Bradley is parked out in his car almost 12 hours everyday…then there’s another unmarked car watching Bradley. I know this car is from the PD because the guy is just too obvious. Then there’s our guy who is watching Bradley also but is aware of the PD also.

Now here’s the kicker, I’ve managed to get a picture of the fourth player and I’ve e-mailed that off to you at your home due to the secrecy surrounding this case. God knows who this guy is but he’s not real bright. So far he seems to be casing the place, like he might want to break in, but he hasn’t made any moves in that direction yet. Of course there is the dog…the family pet! I truly believe the animal would tear the leg off of anybody that would attempt anything with one of those kids or Liz. He seems as gentle as a lamb but the animal doesn’t miss a trick and knows exactly where this fourth guy is at all times.

The guy does leave for a few hours but is generally back for most of the day. He’s really strange looking. Wears cammies and a ball cap. Check your e-mail at home and let me know what you think?”

Jesse frowned at the news Jonesy had just related to him and said…

“Jonesy, thanks. I’ll get right on that photo and see what the hell else is going on. Keep up the good work and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Have a good week-end in spite of the circumstances. I think I’ll have Valenti check out the photo for us, I don’t know why but I have a strange feeling that that is where we should start.”

“Hey Jesse, you know I’m not complaining…private quarters, home cooked meals and Smitty for company…who could ask for anything more?”

And all three men laughed…Smitty being the pool man who was sitting at the bar on a stool working a cross-word puzzle…Smith and Jones, what a combination!

So, that was the extent of the news of the day from Jesse’s end but the crap was about to hit the fan down at police headquarters. The captain was really getting bent out of shape with the Ed Bradley development and he had Carl, Ed’s partner, in his office again wanting to know “What in the hell is going on?” Carl wasn’t sure but had a sneaking suspicion that Bradley was stalking the Evans woman and didn’t want to say it aloud until he was certain, but from what he could tell it sure as hell looked like it. Then there was Judge Abbott who had his bailiff, Dave White, checking up on the activity in the police department and nobody knew what anybody else was doing.

Finally Carl closed the captains door and took a seat.

“Cap., I think Bradley is stalking the Evans woman. I found a receiver on the front seat of our car the other day when I went for burgers and Bradley’s only been coming into the office every morning long enough to make an appearance and then he’s gone again. I checked out an unmarked car the other day and followed him and he drove straight over to the Evans’ place and sat in the car for almost 6 hours and then he drove to the hospital to check on the guy that Mrs. Evans knocked unconscious with the skillet. I waited until he left and then went and talked to the guard stationed at the guys room and he said Bradley comes in everyday to see if that Don Adams has regained consciousness. I don’t know what the hell is going on Captain, but it’s weird that Bradley isn’t reporting any of his actions to anyone here. If it had anything to do with the case he should at least write up a report and clue someone in on what’s going on. You know his wife threw his ass out for messing around with that waitress over at the Liberty Bar. I guess she’s not the first one he’s ever had an affair with according to Shelly. Shelly’s his wife, remember we met her at the picnic last year. Sweet little thing…I guess Bradley beat her up pretty bad before she got the restraining order on him. He’s allowed to visit the boy one day a week for 4 hours and he has to have an escort with him when he goes to the house. I guess he’s okay with the kid.”

“Good God man, why in the hell didn’t you say something before this?”

“Well Captain, I wasn’t sure…I’m still not sure what’s going on. I’ve only told you what I do know and what I think…that’s all I’ve got to go on right now.”

“Well, I’m glad you brought this to my attention because Judge Abbott’s office has Officer White checking on the department to see why there’s a listening device planted at the Evans’ home. Mrs. Evans kept running into Bradley all over town and got suspicious and started checking around her kitchen and found the device on top of her refrigerator…it looks like your suspicions might have some merit. You say you followed Bradley?”

“Yeah but I couldn’t stay on him all the time. We do have other investigations going on that need to be attended to and like I said, I was just following a hunch. Now that I know the whole story I think we should do something about this. Are you going to tell Judge Abbott about this? You know that Mrs. Evans father-in-law is an attorney and that is probably why Judge Abbott is working on this. Mr. Evans probably doesn’t trust anyone over here now…what a mess. What in the hell is wrong with that man anyway?”

“Damned if I know but we have to take care of this ASAP. Pretty soon the street the Evans’ live on is going to look like a frreakin’ parkin’ lot…but we need to investigate this thing and get to the bottom of it. Do you think you can take care of it without anyone else becoming suspicious out there. Bradley’s been with us a long time and he may have some friends that would tip him off.”

“I don’t know who would betray the force for a bad seed Cap…and after the assault on his wife there aren’t very many who are going to give us up for him.”

“Even so…let’s keep this as quiet as we possibly can and if you need help let me know…we’ll get some one from another precinct to work with us if we need to but we need to clean it up.”

“Fair enough Cap. I’ll check him out again today and see if he’s over there. It’s supposed to be his day off, so if he’s sitting over there it’s pretty much stalking in my book.”

“Thanks Carl, let me know what you find…okay? Call me at home, we’re not doing anything today except some yard work.”

Carl looked at the Captain and raised an eyebrow…he knew the Captain hated yard work and the Captain just looked at Carl and grinned…

“Don’t ask?” And Carl grinned back and left the office…Cap. Must have done something to piss the wife off again, always has been her way of getting even.

And with that the captain picked up his phone and dialed the court house, he needed to fill Dave in on what was going on and he would leave the information he passed on for Dave to decide whether or not he should share it with the Judge.

*~*~*

Meanwhile Liz and Maria were having a great time entertaining the kids and catching up on Roswell gossip when Max and Michael walked in and gave each of them a kiss on the cheek and started wrestling with the kids who were having a great time visiting with each other. The girls were just as rough-house as the boys and Max had his hands full and Michael was right in there with all six of them. Maria and Liz left the room and found some peace and quiet in the living room, which was hardly ever used, and Liz felt at peace for the first time in almost two weeks. It was so nice to have her old friend with her and to be able to relax for awhile but it wasn’t to last because they soon heard the tiny voice of Ellie yelling through the baby monitor…

“Mommy!!!”

Maria and Liz both looked at each other and grinned…it was the best sound on earth and Maria took off with pony tail flying to get to her baby girl before the tears took over. Ellie was usually very good about waiting for her mommy but she was in a strange place and Maria wasn’t quite sure how she would take it if she didn’t see her soon.

Michael heard the yell from the family room and came walking quite fast into the living room to see if Maria wanted him to get the baby but Liz told him that Maria was already on her way upstairs and to relax…he smiled and said thanks and headed back to rescue Max from the invasion of the brat pack.

Soon the parents had all of the kids loaded into the two SUV’s and were on their way to the estate for an ice skating party and then some pizza afterwards. When they arrived the grandparents were already fitted out and getting loosened up and adjusted to the ice and the young parents took to getting the kids laced up and on the ice. Max and Liz’s kids all had their own skates which they brought from home but Junior and Ellie both needed skates.

Liz had found some double runner skates on line a few years back and had several pair in various sizes shipped to the facility so Ellie was equipped with a pair of those and was doing quite admirably on them. Maria and Michael were both impressed as well as everyone else. Michael was a natural on the ice and he and the kids had the hockey equipment out and set up in no time at all. Everyone was right in there helping and they soon were having a great time. Liz just stood back and smiled…how wonderful life was she thought to herself…even if it did have a lunatic show his ugly face every once in awhile and then Parker pissed JP off and it was time to break them up…no matter how many times she told JP that every action had a reaction and if he would just ignore Parker then Parker would quit bothering him it didn’t do any good. Maybe he was just too little to understand or that temper was too much for him to handle at his young age but he had to learn and learn soon. He couldn’t start school with that short fuse.

And so the day ended and everyone was worn out to say the least.

On Sunday morning the alarm went off at it’s usual 6:00 a.m. and Liz didn’t even budge. Max reached over her head and slapped the annoyance off, wrapped his arms around his little wife and smiled as he went right back to sleep. It was about a half hour later that there was loud knocking on their bedroom door and Max opened one eye and yelled “It’s open!”

Michael stuck his head in and saw the two Evans’ taking up not much more space than a baby crib would allow in this huge king sized bed and shook his head. Liz was in her usual position of sleeping as though she was an extension of her husbands body and he didn’t seem to mind at all and Michael smiled.

“Hey you two…do you want to go to Mass today and if so, how about I cook us up some ‘Crashdown’ hash and eggs?”

Max eyed his friend, looked down at his wife’s head, and then back at his friend.

“You know Michael, you can be annoying as hell even when you’re being nice!”

Michael grinned and waited with his arms crossed over his chest…

“Liz? I know you’re not asleep. Do you want some hash and eggs?”

Liz managed to move her lips, eyes still closed,

“Michael, come back when it’s ready…okay?”

“Okay…but you better eat some or there will be consequences.”

“Fine, is Maria up?”

“Are you kidding…she’d kill me if I woke her up for breakfast.”

Then Liz lifted her head from Max’s chest and yelled…

“MICHAEL!!!”

And on that note Michael left Max and Liz’s room and headed down the back stairs with a great big grin on his face.

Liz was wishing that they had had the time for Mass yesterday but things just got away from them…too much to do, too little time.

Max kissed Liz on the top of her head and worked his way loose of her body, which he had down to a science, and got himself up to go help Michael in the kitchen. Soon 6 of the 7 kids were all sitting around the table goofing off and having fun while their fathers prepared a breakfast fit for a lumberjack and Liz and Maria came staggering in, Ellie hanging onto her mother’s neck, her head on her shoulder half asleep, neither knowing whether to kiss or kick Michael for being up so early. I guess, all in all, it wasn’t such a bad idea since they were having the bar-b-que later…they really should go to early Mass.

So the two men had everyone fed and was well on their way to having the kitchen cleaned up while Liz and Maria went back upstairs to take care of the slew of kids that needed bathed, dressed and hair done in proper order. By that time Michael and Max were back upstairs and ready for their showers Liz told Max to lock their door because she was going to take a little “rest” before showering…”it’s only 8:30 and Mass starts at 11:00 annnnd, if we keep Michael locked out we can both have a little rest. No?” and she looked at her husband and grinned. God, who could turn an offer like that down and with that Max was right on top of her and had her in a lip lock that wouldn’t quit when there was a knock on the door again. Max yelled…

“Michael! It’s locked…go get ready for Mass.” And a little voice said,

“Daddy, can we take Jack out in the yard for awhile?” Max looked down at Liz and she smiled and nodded ‘no’…so Max had to be the bad guy…

“Not now…after Mass you can go out and play with Jack. Just watch cartoons til’ mommy and I are ready for church, okay?”

“Okay…” came the groaned reply and Max rolled back over and grabbed his wife who was now leaning up on one elbow looking at him. He returned the look, half smile half frown and said…

“Mood gone?” Liz smiled and shrugged one shoulder…

“Sorta’... Let’s shower.”

“Together?”

“Yeah…” and they both headed to the bathroom, very quickly.

By 10:15 everyone was assembled on the front porch waiting for Max, Michael and Ellie…Michael had taken the little girl with him to get her all buckled up before all of the other kids started to climb on board and soon they were off to the Cathedral. When they started to disembark Monsignor Gaughan was going into the Cathedral and spotted the Evans’ van and headed on over to say hello when he noticed the extra passengers.

“Why hello Michael, Maria, Junior and Ellie…it’s so nice to see you and hello to the Evans’s…how are all of you?”

“Fine Father, and it’s so good to see you too.”

Then it was JP, leader of the pack…He gave the Monsignor a high five and then asked the elderly gentleman if he wanted to come to their house for bar-b-que today…Max and Liz grinned at the monsignor and nodded yes and so the old man looked down on the little one and smiled…

“JP, I would love to come to dinner. What time do you think would be a good time?”

JP looked at Liz with a questioning gaze and Liz smiled at her youngest and held up 3 fingers.

“Three will be great!” JP grinned and the monsignor smiled at the tyke and said…

“Great JP, I’ll see you at three for a bar-b-que.” And he left the group smiling from ear to ear…everyone that knew that little boy just fell in love with him. What a man he’s going to be some day and there was a fresh spring in the old man’s step.

All four of the adults grinned at each other and got the crew to fall in line for church.

And as they all walked across the parking lot there was a caravan of cars following their every move. Unbelievable, just unbelievable was the only thought going through Steve’s mind as he watched Carl watch Ed…but he was unaware of the fourth set of eyes watching as well.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.14 08/09/10

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: We'll just have to wait and see how long it's going to take for something big...as for Maria and Michael, yeah, they are great friends. :)
Earth2Mama: I like that kool-aid scenario...could be! :lol:
Eve:Thank you for taking the time to fb. I hope your mom is getting better. :)

*~*~*

Chapter: 14

So everyone was all settled in and getting ready for the big bar-b-que when they got back from Mass and Liz had Max and Michael busy wiping off patio furniture along with “Smitty” and “Jonesy” who were invited as well. All of the kids were changed and playing all sorts of games while JP and Junior were busy in the dirt pile moving ‘earth’ as JP convinced Junior that this was necessary to the ‘eco system’, he saw it on the nature channel and Junior was convinced they were doing their part to save the earth. Jack stood guard over both little boys as they played and the other two boys had a game of catch going on while Deana and Briana played with Ellie on the patio. Everything was coming along quite nicely and between Maria and Liz the food was prepared and stored in no time at all.

Liz had decided to bake a couple of hams and have hot dogs and hamburgers along with the usual salads and breads that went with a bar-b-que. It was so much easier than trying to get steaks the way everyone wanted them when there were so many…she figured at least 20 or more would be there. If Joanne and the girls could come there would be almost 30…then she wondered if 2 hams were enough.

“Maria, do you think 2 hams are enough. There is going to be 20 of us for sure and if Joanne, Charly and the rest come that will be almost 30 or more. What do you think?”

“God Liz, I think it’s plenty but you’re more used to this groups appetite than I am…maybe we should stick another one in just to be safe. We can always freeze the leftovers.”

“Great idea!” And with that Liz went to the large walk in freezer off the pantry and came back with another whole ham and a large disposable baking pan. She kept those in supply just like you would napkins, it saved a mountain of time. Maria just looked at her friend and smiled.

“What?” Liz asked…

“Oh nothing…it’s just that I don’t think the ‘Crash’ is this well supplied is all.”

“Oh. Well…we sort of got in the habit when Max was playing and everyone used to go to the estate, I just never got out of the habit I guess.” Liz shrugged as she rubbed the ham down and poked cloves all over it. Maria just smiled and thought to herself ‘what a change in her since Max Evans became a permanent fixture, she is so happy’… and Maria picked up another potato and kept on peeling, 30 people for dinner…ugh!

Right around 2:45 people started showing up and the driveway looked like the parking lot of the downtown mall. Monsignor Gaughan was shaking hands with Jeff and Philip and giving Nancy and Diane hugs as Charly and Margaret pulled in…then Olivia and her husband was there about the same time and lo and behold Joanne, young Charly and two of the other girls and their husbands were there also. It was like a reunion in the driveway when JP heard the noise…that’s all it took. The little boy went running around the side of the house with Junior hot on his heels.

“Hey everyone! Come on back here…dad and Michael are cleaning. Mom made them wash the furniture. Do you all know Junior…he’s Michael and Maria’s boy.”

JP’s grandparents were in awe of this kid everyday…he knew no strangers and his lust for life was contagious. Soon they were all following the four year olds to the back of the house to where the large patio was situated and Max and Michael were both shaking hands and hugging as JP and Junior watched on. Then Smitty and Jonesy came out of the pool house and more introductions were made as Max set about getting everyone some refreshments. Maria and Liz soon noticed the added noise coming from the patio and when they looked out the French doors from the side of the kitchen there everyone was, out back, and both women looked at each other and wondered when all of this had taken place and then the lights came on…Liz thought “JP” and she just smiled to herself. Mr. Joe Social took care of everything and then she started to giggle.

“What’s got you so tickled?” Maria asked.

“It’s just JP…I’ll lay you odds he’s the one that took them through the side yard to the back. That boy just amazes me that’s all.”

“He is unique Liz…so much more different than the other four and I don’t understand it.”

“I don’t either Maria. He’s been like this since he was a baby. I’m almost afraid to have his IQ tested, I think it’s going to be scary as hell.”

“Oh Liz, whatever it is he’ll be fine.”

“Yeah, you’re right…if he doesn’t kill Parker before it’s done and gets put away.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, JP has a temper on him that would put Satan to shame and Parker loves to razz him and get him all riled up. No amount of talking to either of them helps and sometimes JP gets the best of Parker but I’m still afraid someday Parker will just push too hard.”

“Well, you live with them everyday and see all of this but let me tell you what I see. I see nothing but love among the whole group of them…they may fight with each other but pity the person outside of the family who would fight with one of them…I believe that they would have the whole group to fight with. And, one of these days JP is going to be as big as Parker and then the playing field will even out.”

“Do you really think so Maria?”

“Oh Liz, I don’t think it I know it.” And both women smiled…and Liz thought, maybe she’s right.

Soon Max came in to get the hot dogs and burgers and Liz wanted to know how long he thought it would be and he said probably 15 to 20 minutes. Liz stood on her tip toes and kissed her husband lightly on the cheek and said they’d be ready. About that time Diane and Nancy came in and wanted to know what they could do. Liz pointed to the walk-in refrigerator and said that everything was plated and covered and just needed to be taken out to the counter in the enclosed patio. Both women nodded and headed over to the sink to wash their hands and no sooner than not the food was all sitting in a nice display with three large hams heading up the program. Olivia just looked at Liz and shook her head…always be prepared, and she was.

Soon everyone was sitting around the tables eating and JP got up from his chair, headed over to the nearest tree and guess what he did…yep, right there in front of God and everyone young Jeffrey Philip Evans whipped it out and proceeded to pee against the tree in the flower bed lining the patio. Liz got this horrified look on her face, Max followed her line of vision as did Maria and the rest of the group tried very hard to stifle their laughter and when Maria really saw what was going on she yelled at the top of her lungs…

“MICHAEL GUERIN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”

And Max Evans almost choked laughing…not so much at JP but the look on his wife’s face was priceless and then Liz yelled…

“Jeffery Philip Evans!!! What are you doing?”

JP turned around and looked at his mother and said, very calmly…

“Uncle Mike told Junior to do it.”

Liz looked at Michael and he raised his arms in surrender…

“Junior, we do that camping and you know it…we don’t do it at home.” And Junior looked at his dad and said very simply…

“Why not?”

“Yeah Michael, why not?” That was Maria

“We’ll talk about this later Junior.” Michael couldn’t talk now if he tried, he was trying very hard to stifle his laughter while Max and the rest of the group weren’t even trying at all…the monsignor, Philip and Jeff were all but rolling off their chairs…Smitty and Jonesy were beet red from laughing…Charly and all the rest were really trying to keep a straight face because they knew it was Liz who was going to have to explain to JP that this was not funny but that was going to be impossible because it was. This kid should have his own TV show Diane thought, he’s a natural. And Liz, well Liz wanted to kill Michael for the second time today and her husband was not helping at all…as a matter of fact none of them were and then she started, the hysterical laughter came and everyone knew that the tears would be coming shortly. Her usual M.O….laugh hysterically when things became too much. Of course Smitty and Jonesy hadn’t a clue what was coming, but it was, and with that Max calmly put his napkin on the table, pushed his chair out and walked over to his wife’s chair, turned her toward him, picked her up and carried her into the house laughing like she had just heard the funniest joke on earth and when they got as far as the kitchen she started and tears kept coming as fast as any rainstorm that had ever occurred.

Max took her up to their room and sat in the rocking chair next to their fireplace. He put her in his lap and rocked her until it was all over.

“It’s going to be alright Liz. Honey…honest. We’ll get through this just like we have everything else and when it’s all over we will take a nice long vacation somewhere alone. Mom and Dad can come over here for a couple of weeks and we’ll get away from all of this once we know everyone is safe from whatever it is that is going on.”

Max continued to speak very softly while nuzzling Liz’s head that was pressed into his chest.

Liz laid there in her husbands arms listening to him and she knew he meant every word he said but he also knew that she could never leave her kids for two weeks…maybe overnight, if she had to, but she just couldn’t leave them and she looked up at him and smiled…

“Max, I love you so much it hurts sometime.”

“I feel the same way sweetheart. Are you better now?”

“Yes…now…about this peeing in public…”

Max just grinned at his wife…

“He won’t do it again Liz. I know he won’t. Now I can’t promise anything about Junior but I’m sure his mother will have a talk with his father and it will roll down, maybe. We are talking about Michael here and they do live an entirely different lifestyle than we do. I would suggest taking the kids camping but I don’t think we should do it in the near future for JP’s sake. He doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong and after the display our guests made I’m sure he knows he hasn’t done anything wrong so let’s just forget it for awhile okay?”

“Okay…if you say so.”

“I say so, now let’s go back and have some of that great food you and Maria prepared.”

And with that Max carried his wife to the bathroom, sat her on the counter and proceeded to wipe the tears from her face and when the repairs had been made Liz gave him a great big smile and they headed back to the patio to have some dinner and fun. Who knows, maybe JP will do something else entertaining for them, you never know.

After everyone had eaten and caught up on all the news of the day minus what was going on at Max and Liz’s, no one mentioned the stress that they were under, everyone chipped in as usual and helped put things away and JP and Junior were still busy moving earth minus using the trees to relieve themselves. Neither had been told not to but they were both smart enough to know that Michael was in trouble with their mothers…they could just tell.

Parker and Gerard were busy talking to their grandfathers and Briana and Deana were busy playing with Ellie again. It was like having a live doll to play with and all three of the girls were having a great time. Deana and Briana were teaching the toddler to sign and she was picking up on it like a duck to water. Maria was fascinated watching them and told Liz that she needed to learn this also. Liz told her that she thinks it saved her and JP’s lives when Don broke in…Don never suspected what was going on between her and JP and if she hadn’t been able to get JP to run she didn’t think she would have been able to take control the way she had. Maria was still in awe of her friend…she didn’t think she would be able to do that …

“Liz, you will never know how much I admire you. Everyday you seem to pull something new out of your hat and you amaze me constantly. I could never be that strong.” And Maria was serious and Liz knew it…she needed to make her friend realize that she was just as strong and all she needed to do was convince her.

“Maria, when your children are in need of your strength believe me you will find it…and as for the sign language, look at her. She knows. She is a very smart little girl and you can both learn together. I will give you the book before we go to bed tonight and you and Michael both can look it over. All four of you can learn. It isn’t that hard. I shouldn’t use this as an example but it’s true. It’s like teaching a dog commands, they are smart Maria and they learn fast so I think you and Michael should sit down with the two of them every night for about 15 minutes, or until they get bored, and learn it together. American sign is a little more complicated but not so much once you catch on to this. I think the kids use it to communicate with each other at school when they want to keep secrets but that little bit of information hasn’t been made public yet. I’ve seen them when I go to pick them up at school, they have their little secrets from the other kids and no one’s the wiser. It’s okay for them to do this…I wouldn’t encourage them to be mean and cruel but if they have something private to say to each other they sign it. It’s a good thing Maria.”

“Thank you Liz and I will learn it with the kids…and Michael too. I know he’d do anything for those two and I’m sure he’ll be pleased and look at Ellie, she can teach us.”

And both women laughed. Nancy and the other women were catching bits and pieces of the conversation as they carried food in from the patio to put it away and then Nancy went out and watched Deana and Briana with little Ellie and she was amazed.

She had seen the kids using their hands on numerous occasions and smiling at each other but she had never put two and two together. Her heart just swelled with pride at her daughter and she knew she had no one but the Evans’ to thank for all of this because she certainly had nothing to do with it and she was saddened by the thought of how she had raised her daughter. Thank God for Diane and Philip for taking her under their wings the way they did because she certainly turned out to be a wonderful wife and mother…even a daughter for that matter and Nancy also knew why the children had never spent the night with her and Jeffery and her heart ached but she didn’t place any blame on her daughter, it wasn’t Liz’s fault. Nancy was only happy that she and Jeff could be a part of the family on any level and she smiled remembering her youngest grandson this afternoon…he is such a little sweetheart and his Uncle Michael is going to have to answer to the wrath of Maria…boy would she love to be a fly on the wall for that scene and Nancy actually laughed out loud and three little girls looked up at her and smiled.

“Grandma, do you want to learn?” Briana asked and Nancy nodded yes and sat down in the circle of girls and started working her fingers as well and life was good.

After everyone but the grandparents had gone and the kids were all in bed Liz, Max, Michael and Maria joined Philip, Diane, Nancy and Jeff in the parlor off of Max’s study for a family conference along with Smith and Jones.

Liz hadn’t had a chance to speak with Philip since talking to Jesse the day before and she wanted to know if Philip had a chance to talk to Jesse and he said he had. Liz wanted to know if he had any insight into all of the activity going on outside the walls of the estate and Philip took this chance to give the floor to Smitty.

“Mrs. Evans, it seems that the detective in charge of investigating Don Adams has had your home under surveillance and the police department is aware of it so they have one of their men watching this detective, Ed Bradley. Now we also have a man out there on the street watching the coming and going of this Ed Bradley as well but there is also a new player out there. He was released with Don from the Connecticut penitentiary and we believe that he and Don were in cahoots when Don broke into your home. So far the man has done nothing but stand out there and watch and here’s something maybe you have noticed or then again maybe not. Have you noticed that Jack never leaves JP’s side when he’s playing with his earth movers and dump trucks? I think the dog knows something isn’t quite right and he is standing guard.”

“Oh God! Max!” And Max was at his wife’s side in an instant.

“Sweetheart, I told you we would take care of this. Whatever the reason this Ed Bradley has for watching us is a mystery but right now we do know that there are two cops out there and one PI on our side and two PI’s on our side inside. Sweetheart, we are going to be fine.”

Then Smitty took over again.

“Mrs. Evans, Steve has followed Ed to the hospital everyday where he goes in to see if Don has regained consciousness and the fourth player out there who we now know to be one Joseph Sabotini, Joey for short, also goes to the hospital. He sat in the lobby for a few days just watching…now he has stolen some scrubs and is dressing like a doctor and going up to the prison ward. We believe he is also checking to see if Don has regained consciousness. We could have the police pick him up right now but we don’t want to play our hand too soon. As long as we are aware of what’s going on out there I think we’re okay.”

“Fine, maybe we’re okay as long as we’re in here but what about the kids at school. Do you think we need to alert the school or put some men on them just to be on the safe side. Maybe I should home school them until all of this is over with…I can’t feel comfortable about any of this right now. Shit, they aren’t even safe in our own back yard if that nut is out there spying on them.”

Liz was shaking like a leaf and Max knew there wasn’t going to be any settling her down until this was taken care of.

“Look sweetheart, if you want to pull them out of school for the time being then that is what we’ll do. Not because I think they aren’t safe but because I know you don’t feel safe and you are as important to me as they are and if you will feel better then we will do what is necessary to make that happen.”

“Thank you Max…they stay home and I want another man on the premises…in the house. Maybe I want some more skillets too.” And everyone laughed but Liz.

“So Liz, I’ll call Jesse tomorrow and see to it that we get another man on the job and Max, you can take care of the school situation. We will have to bring the kids in on some of this so they won’t balk but we need to make it lighter than what it is. If they’re upset they won’t be able to concentrate on their studies nor will they be able to play and relax so we need to make up a story and everyone has to agree to it.” Philip had the floor now.

Then Liz spoke up with a determination they were all familiar with…

“No…we’ll tell them the truth. If we make light of it they won’t be able to recognize trouble if it rears it’s ugly head so we will tell them what is going on. We will tell them who Smith and Jones really are and we’ll tell them about Steve parked down the street. They need to feel safe in their own home and they need to know that everything will be back to normal soon.”

No one disagreed with her because they knew it was futile and she was usually right anyway. Besides, no one knew those kids the way she did and she knew if they knew the truth they would deal with it and do everything that was expected of them.

So it was agreed that the kids would be home schooled and that Liz would keep in contact with their teachers via fax and she would conduct their studies at home.

Philip was concerned that it would alert the players in this drama that the family was aware of a problem and Liz told Philip she didn’t give a shit…these were her children they were talking about and she would not put them at risk. Philip agreed and told her that a man would be arriving in the morning…Liz said fine and everyone got up and bid their good byes for the evening.

“What do you want me to do for you sweet?” Max asked his wife as she gathered up the coffee cups and glasses from the parlor.

“Just go over to the school tomorrow and get their books and assignments. Give their teachers the fax number to your office and I’ll fax their homework and tests back to them until we know they’re safe. That’s all I’ll need. And thank you Max, for supporting me on this. I know it’s a tough decision but I can’t rest when I think something might happen to them.”

“I know that sweetheart, and I’ll take care of it tomorrow for you. Aren’t you concerned about the listening device?”

“Max, right now I just want to take that thing down to that nut’s car and shove it up his ass but I won’t…I don’t think he’s smart enough to know that the kids won’t be going to school. How in the hell did they ever promote some one like him to detective in the first place? Hell, he’s an idiot!”

And with that Max bent over and kissed Liz on the nose, one of his favorite things to do, and smiled. If the man did a stupid thing by putting the listening device on their refrigerator it was a God send in the long run because now they knew about this Joey guy so things do happen for a reason.

Maria came back into the parlor about that time and told Liz she was headed to bed and was there anything she wanted her to do before leaving and Liz smiled at her old friend.

“No Maria…I’m just so glad you and Michael are here. It has made this whole ordeal so much easier to deal with. Thank you.”

And Liz gave Maria a big hug before letting her leave. Max smiled at Maria and as he hugged her good night he whispered in her ear to go lightly on Michael about the peeing…it wasn’t that bad. Maria giggled and said okay and headed on up to her room, she knew Liz wasn’t too happy about it but it was cute…then she thought seriously, Ellie would probably be up bright and early tomorrow and she needed to be at her best.

And so the Evans household was quiet again as Max and Liz headed to their bedroom for the night. When they got to their room they noticed the dog’s bed was missing and Liz looked up at Max who headed over to Parker’s room and sure enough there was Jack laying right on top of the boys bed with his head on his pillow sound asleep. When he got back to their room Liz was already in bed and Max noticed her pj’s laying on the chair next to their bed… Max turned around and locked the door behind him…oh it was going to be nice making her feel safe …and Max smiled as he started peeling clothes on his way to his bed.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.14 08/09/10

Post by mary mary »

Dreambeliever: Yeah, I think he's pretty cool too... :D
Eve: So glad you're enjoying the fic. but you're going to have to wait and see who's behind all of this. I hope it's a surprise! :lol:
Earth2Mama: He certainly is!!! :D :D :D
Carolyn: Boy, you're certainly right about that...too many embarrassing moments to even remember all of them and some I'd be ashamed to admit to and that's saying something for me! :roll:

Chapter: 15

The next morning Michael was up bright and early as usual, he was so used to getting up and getting the Crashdown ready for the day that he couldn’t change for just a couple of days…He got himself dressed and headed on over to Max and Liz’s room to ‘piss Liz off again’ and when he tried the door he found it locked. He thought about knocking but changed his mind and then he saw Jack coming out of Parker’s room and Michael had a feeling that Max and Liz didn’t call it a night when everyone else did and took the dog downstairs with him and left him out in the back yard. He noticed that Smith and Jones were already making their rounds with rakes and shovels and Michael gave the two armed guards a nod and closed the back door. He found Jack’s dishes and proceeded to load the dog up with fresh water and dog food before heading off to the front gate to retrieve the morning paper and then he was off to the kitchen to make some fresh coffee and check on what some newsman decided to print this morning.

Max had heard the door handle when Michael went past and he grinned and decided to let Michael have his morning coffee before heading on downstairs and about that time Liz started to stir. Max smiled as she snuggled in closer to him, if that was possible, and when she got herself comfortable Max just kissed the top of her head, wrapped his arms around her a little tighter and went back to sleep. How she managed to wind up on top of him every night was beyond him. She started out hugging his side but managed to scoot herself on top and around him like she was some kind of melted plastic, he smiled and closed his eyes and life was good. He would go to school and get the situation with the kids straightened out later.

Downstairs, in the kitchen, Michael had put the coffee pot on and went to the back door to check on Jack and sure enough he was sitting there waiting patiently for someone to open the door for him. When Michael left him in he didn’t step out of the dog’s path soon enough and almost got knocked over and then he noticed that Jack went straight for his water bowl before going anywhere else. he ignored his food completely. Then Michael remembered that Max had told him that they have to put the food bowl in the kitchen where everyone else eats before he’ll touch it or stand there and wait for him to eat it so Michael picked up the bowl and took it back to the kitchen with him and when he sat down at the table to continue with the morning paper Jack ate his breakfast. Michael just looked at the dog and shook his head…Max said the dog was a sociable dog and Michael was beginning to believe every word of it.

Before too long Maria and Ellie showed up and Michael got up and gave both of his girls a good morning kiss as he headed over to the cupboard to get Maria a cup for her coffee and a sippy cup of apple juice and a piece of toast for Ellie. Maria smiled at her husband and thanked him with a kiss right back as soon as she had Ellie situated in the high chair.

“You know Michael, as cute as JP was yesterday I’m not so sure that teaching the boys to pee outside is very couth.” And she smiled at Michael’s grin…she knew he still thought it was funny.

“I know Maria, but did you see the look on the monsignor’s face? I thought the man would have a heart attack laughing, honest to God. I’ll have a talk with Junior and explain that we only do that when we’re out in the woods and there are no bathrooms. I really didn’t know that’s what he was doing or I would have spoken to him before this. Maybe I should have a talk with both of them…JP has never been camping and maybe we should explain to him what camping is. It wouldn’t hurt. I’ll talk it over with Max and see what he says about it. Maybe he’d like to sit in on the conversation.”

“I think it’ll be okay if you talk to both boys…besides, Max told me to go easy on you regarding the subject so I think he’s in tune with you. Is there anything interesting in the paper this morning?”

“Nah, just the usual B.S. Someone else’s interpretation of the events of the day or what they want us to believe as fact. Max was right about Jack not eating alone… he has to have his dish in here with someone to eat with or he doesn’t eat.”

“Oh, I know…Liz brings it in every morning or she stands out there in the laundry room while he eats. She says she does that when she just wants to go back to bed…Jack looks at her to make sure she’s going to hang around and she just tells him to hurry up or she’ll leave him alone and he gobbles his food right up. I swear the dog knows everything that is said…just watch him, his eyes never miss a trick.”

“I’ve noticed, and he certainly is good with those kids…I’d hate to be on his bad side.”

“God, me either.”

And someone sitting out in his car shuddered.

About that time JP and Junior came strolling into the kitchen with their baseball caps on their little heads, football shoulder and knee pads on over their pajamas and were ready for some breakfast while carrying La Cross sticks. Michael didn’t know if they were ready for baseball, football or something else but whatever it was they had the gear.

Maria motioned to Michael to sit still as she got up from her chair and Michael picked up on what she wanted him to do. Maria headed to the cupboard to get a couple of bowls and glasses and took the bread out of the bread box while Michael said hi to the youngsters and got ready for a little talk.

“Good morning guys, did you sleep well?”

Both young men looked at Michael and smiled…JP said “Good morning Uncle Mike” and Junior said “Hi Dad.” And they both said “Yes.” Together.

“Hey, Junior, you remember when I told you it was okay to pee outside and that we were camping and there wasn’t any place to pee besides outside?” Michael formed it in the way of a question….

“Yes…” Junior wasn’t sure of what was going on now but he had a feeling he wasn’t going to like it.

“Well, it is okay to pee outside when you’re in the woods and there’s no bathroom available…but, we can’t be doing that in public when there are a lot of people around and there’s a bathroom available to us. That just isn’t a good idea at all. Only when we go camping or when I tell you it’s okay. Sometime we have no choice but we can’t be doing that any other time. Do you understand?”

“Yes Dad…I understand but we didn’t mean to make people mad.”

Maria kept to her breakfast duties while Michael talked to the boys and Ellie just kept sipping her juice and jabbering away.

“Good…JP, do you understand what I just told Junior?”

And JP being JP said

“Yup…don’t pee in the back yard and make people laugh at me because it makes Mom laugh and when Mom laughs then she cries and Dad gets upset.”

Max and Liz had just come down the back stairs and they both turned around and went right back up where they came from.

“It looks like Michael is getting a JP education…he doesn’t think the way other kids think but it works out okay.” Liz said.

“Yep, it works for JP so the rest of us will have to deal with it.” And Max squeezed Liz’s behind as she walked in front of him back to their room. “I guess we can get ready for the day while Michael deals with yesterdays little problem.” And both Max and Liz giggled as they headed to the shower.

Soon everyone was in the kitchen and Maria was feeding all of the kids cereal, juice and toast and that was fine with Liz. She looked at Max and he had the coco puffs sitting on the island along with an array of other cereals and he seemed just as happy as the kids. A far cry from the breakfasts he used to eat when he was playing ball…pancakes, sausages, eggs, coffee, juice and sometimes bacon and toast as well. Thank God those days are gone…not so much the baseball but those huge breakfasts certainly couldn’t be healthy for him no matter how much exercise he got.

Liz stuck her head out the back door and wanted to know if Smitty and Jonesy wanted to come in for some cereal and they told her “No thanks.” They had already had breakfast before starting on the yard and she smiled and said to have a good day. They waved at her and got busy trimming some bushes pretty close to where they knew Joey stood his surveillance. This would make it a little harder for him to remain unseen and they kept on trimming.

When Liz went back into the kitchen Briana and Deana wanted to know what they were going to take in their lunches and Liz looked at Max and thought really quick…

“Oh, I called the school and got you excused today. We’re going sight seeing with Michael and Maria.”

“Oh…where’re we going?” Deana asked.

“Well, we haven’t decided yet. Just relax and we’ll figure it out later.”

“Okay…Is Dad going with us?” And Liz looked over at Max..

“I’m not sure. I have an errand to run this morning but if I’m back in time I’ll be going along.” Max said.

Then Parker and Gerard chimed in together…

“We’ll wait for you.” These two were scary sometime the way they both mirrored each other’s remarks.

“Yeah Dad, we’ll wait for you.” The other three said and Max smiled at Liz and said great…he would try and be back before they were all showered and ready to go. So it was decided that they would go sight seeing today and no school. Max headed over to the school to get everything in order and Maria and Liz headed upstairs to get kids ready for a day off while Michael cleaned up the kitchen and put the dishes in the dish washer.

In the meantime Ed Bradley was none the wiser.

When Max got back from the school everyone was ready to go and Liz took the box of books and papers from him and carried them back to the study and put them on the large library table that was used for meetings just as the one in the estate had been used. They didn’t have as many meetings at home like they used to have but they still had enough to warrant a special room for them. This would come in great Liz thought to herself…they could pick up a dry erase board at the office supply on their way home and she would be ready for class tomorrow. When she returned to the family room everyone was waiting for her and she just smiled and grabbed her jacket and purse and said … “Let’s go.”

Max had stopped at the limo service and hired a large limo for the sight seeing trip much to everybody’s surprise and it was waiting outside when they opened the front door. Liz just looked up at her husband and grinned…she never would have thought of that and he just smiled back at her and told her that he thought it would be nice if no one had to drive.

“I totally agree Max and that way we can talk to the kids…”

Max shook his head no and said quietly…

“We’ll talk to them in our room …let’s not spoil their fun.” Liz nodded her head in agreement and off they went. They let the limo driver take over and drive them wherever he wanted to and they turned on the speaker to the cab of the limo so the driver could tell the kids everything he could think of about the area’s they were going through. They stopped at the liberty bell and took that tour and the driver went right along with them and then they went and bought Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches and were driven to a nice park for lunch after that they took a tour of Independence Hall and a few more tours. They walked awhile and visited the Betsy Ross House and then they went to a little town outside of Philly and had dinner at a little hamburger joint that the driver assured them that they would love…he was right. Max and Michael each ate four of those things, each of the little ones had one and Maria and Liz each had two…even little Ellie ate almost a whole one. All in all the day turned out wonderful and Liz decided that the spur of the moment idea was okay.

When they returned home everyone was dog tired and Jack was one lonesome puppy. Smitty and Jonesy had played with him throughout the day but he missed his family and it was evident when they opened the back door. He practically took them all out like a bowling ball rolling down the lanes at high speed. Max grabbed the dog by the face and kissed him right on the lips and everyone just ewed at him and he looked up at the bunch of them and laughed. “He’s lonesome! He needs love too!” And Liz just shook her head and headed to the kitchen to make some coffee while Michael filled one dog dish with food and another with water. He’d seen his friend do some weird shit in his lifetime but this took the cake.

Soon everyone was settled down and was ready to head upstairs and Michael and Max sat at the kitchen table to visit awhile before heading upstairs. Michael and Maria were headed back to Roswell in the morning and Liz was going to be sad to see her old friend leave.

After they had all of the kids down for the night… Maria and Liz headed to Max and Liz’s room and sat in the little study off their bedroom. Liz lit a fire in the fireplace and she and Maria snuggled up on the couch to get some alone time in as well.

“You know Liz, I don’t know how in the hell you deal with all of the bullshit that’s going on around here. I’d be out of my mind.” Maria said…

“Hey…Maria…it’s no picnic believe me but I have to be strong for these kids. Poor Tess was damned near in hysterics when she called to tell me what was going on. Kyle even had a plain clothes man watching over their boys until Don was located. I swear to God Maria…I had no idea the man was nuts, and he is nuts, there’s just no physical reason for it. If there was I’d have him on meds. Look at Tess for God’s sake…she’s functioning just beautifully on her meds and she can’t thank me enough. Although she didn’t know Don was planning my demise at the time she was sleeping with him. She still can’t believe she did the things she did. She said she might have a physical problem causing her strange behavior but she also blames her parents for their blasé treatment of her as a child as well. She said she was ignored and permitted to do whatever the hell she wanted without any guidance whatsoever and she got everything she ever wanted. Bless her heart, she had a tough row to hoe there for awhile but with the help of Kyle and the right medication she’s doing great.”

“Liz, you deserve a medal. I don’t know of anyone else on earth that would have done what you did for her. Hell, I would have hired a hit man for her if she would have done that to me.”

“Oh Maria, you don’t mean that. She can’t be held totally responsible for her actions. Yeah, she should have had some conscience but she really didn’t want me dead, she just wanted me out of the way and she found an idiot to go along with her plan.”

“Well, idiot or not, I still don’t know how you deal with this shit.”

“Ahhhh, I have Max and he makes everything worth it.”

And with that Max and Michael both poked their noses around the corner and grinned at their wives. Max’s heart was doing flip flops when he heard his wife’s remark and Michael knew exactly how he felt. It had to be one special lady to be able to put up with the crap that was going on right outside her garden gate.

“Hey Maria, we have an early call tomorrow, you ready for bed?”

“Sure am Michael.” And Maria gave her husband a great big grin.

“Good night you two and thank you for everything. It was great even though we do have uninvited guests outside.”

Liz gave her old friend a great big hug and then one for Michael as well.

“You come anytime you want to and as soon as Ellie is old enough we can rent a big motor home and do some real sight seeing.”

Max and Michael both looked at Liz like she had lost her mind and then Michael popped up before Max could even catch a second breath…

“Liz! If you think for one damned minute that I’m going sight seeing in a motor home with two women, a dog and 7 kids you’re nuts…never gonna happen!”

And the other three adults started laughing although Liz didn’t think it was such an impossible situation…she loved going places with the kids, but uncle Mike was another story.

The next morning the limo was at the house right at 6:00 a.m. to pick up the Guerins and Max and Liz were there to bid their friends good bye. Maria and Michael wanted Max and Liz to come to Roswell for their next visit and Liz gave it some thought. The apartment above the Crash was empty but still furnished and although it wouldn’t give them a lot of room it was a thought and Maria could see the wheels turning.

“Liz, we have enough room at the house, honest. And just think, we could go camping and teach JP where it’s okay to pee.”

Liz gave her friend a look that said ‘maybe’ and Max had to stifle his laughter but it would be fun to take the kids on a camping trip where there wasn’t cabins and running water. It was worth a thought anyway. Max nodded toward Michael and Michael understood without saying anything…his friends mind was churning and that was a good sign.

So with that thought the Guerins’ were gone and Max and Liz headed back into the house with Jack right on their heels as a set of creepy eyes kept his vigil…and Smitty and Jonesy were right there checking it all out.

Max and Liz headed back up to their room when they heard some chatter coming from Briana’s room and they headed on over there to see what was going on. There, scattered in various positions on the young girls queen sized bed were four other children trying to figure out why their mother had not awakened them for school and Max and Liz knew it was time.

“Hey guys, come on over to our room, it’s time for a family pow-wow.” The kids knew what that was, they hadn’t had one in a long time but when Mom or Dad called a family meeting it was known as a ‘pow-wow.’

So everyone went over to Liz and Max’s room and climbed up on the big king sized bed and found a comfortable spot and waited.

Max started…

“Well guys, you know when that man broke into our house and Mom hit him with the skillet?”

They all nodded in assent…

“Well, after the police left and that cop came back the next day your mom found a mini microphone on top of the refrigerator and someone has been listening to all of our conversations. We don’t know for sure who is listening but we think we do and also, someone has been watching us from the other side of the fence. We don’t want you to be afraid of any of this because we know about all of it and we have people protecting us. Smitty and Jonesy are body guards, there is one parked down the street and grandpa is sending another one to move into the house with us this morning. I went to school yesterday and got all of your assignments from your teachers and brought your books home. Your Mom will be teaching you here at the house…that is why we bought the dry eraser board yesterday. Your teachers are all aware of what is going on but none of your friends know and we don’t want them to know. We don’t want you to say anything about this in the kitchen…you have to act like it isn’t there but we felt it would be best if you knew why you were going to be home schooled for awhile. You haven’t done anything wrong and your Mom feels better if you’re with her. Are there any questions?”

All five of the children sat there looking at their Mom and Dad and then JP popped up with…

“Is it the guy I’ve been waving to when we leave the house?”

Max and Liz got this horrified look on their faces and Max calmly asked his youngest son…

“JP, who have you been waving to?”

He didn’t want to upset his son but HE sure as hell was upset…

“There’s a guy that’s been standing out there next to the bushes everyday since Mom whacked that Don guy and he waves to me.” JP didn’t seem the least bit upset about this.

Holy Shit!!!! Was the only thing Max could think of but he managed to keep his words to himself…

“Well JP, if it is one of the guys watching us and you’ve been waving to him just keep it up…we don’t want him to know we’re watching him as well. Okay?”

Max was doing his damnedest to stay calm, especially for the kids and God knows Liz needed him to be calm...she was almost on the verge of laughter again…Max could see it in her eyes, his main goal was to keep all of them calm, including himself. It was at this point that he decided to see if the other four knew anything…

“How about the rest of you? Have any of you noticed any strangers around lately?”

He asked while keeping an eye on his wife for any signs of a meltdown.

Deana looked at Briana and nodded…

“The only one we’ve noticed is that cop that showed up here so early that morning and then at the movies. He’s always parked down the street.”

Parker and Gerard both agreed with their sisters and Max and Liz just looked at each other. These kids were more aware of their surroundings than they gave them credit for.

“Welllllll alrightee then! Now that we all know what everyone else knows we need to pretend like none of this is going on…okay?” He said as he brought his hands together in front of himself and tried very hard not to grab his head…

By all appearances he was calm on the outside but his stomach was in knots and he wanted to hit something.

“Okay Dad. Can we go to school in our pj’s and then get dressed?” Parker wanted to know.

“No, I think we need to keep to our regular routine, although you can put your play clothes on instead of your school clothes. Liv will be here and maybe the new body guard can help her with some of the housework since I’ll be teaching school.”

Liz knew her husband well enough to know that it was time to bring the ‘pow-wow’ to a close. Max was on the verge of a melt-down in light of this new information and she needed to steer the conversation to another direction before they both lost it entirely.

“Oh damn…Liz I didn’t even think of that. Why don’t we let her hire some help until this is taken care of?” Max didn’t want to add any more work on Liv and with the added personnel in the house and Liz tied up teaching the kids it was going to be a lot more work for everyone.

“Well, if you think we should then I guess we should. I guess a body guard really isn’t a housekeeper is he?”

And Max shook his head no and it was decided that Olivia should hire some help and the meeting came to a close. All five of the kids headed to their rooms to take their showers and get ready for school.

“Oh, hey guys…since we won’t be starting class until 8:00 and it’s only 7:00 you have time to make your beds and put your laundry down the chute for Olivia. Then you can take your showers. Daddy and I will help you.” And Liz looked at Max and nodded her head to him. “It won’t hurt them to help with chores if they’re home.”

Then JP decided that he should attend classes as well and Liz informed him that he had to sit still and keep quiet because it wasn’t his grades that were going to count and he agreed. Was Liz in for a surprise…maybe they would have to have him tested sooner than she was prepared for.

And things continued move along.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.16 8/27/10

Post by mary mary »

Eve: I don't think the kids really thought about being stalked...they live a very sheltered life where everything is roses and lollipops, so seeing the men outside their home didn't seem strange to them.
Dreambeliever: Like most people their lives are pretty humdrum... on a day to day basis they work, send kids to school and basically earn a helluva lot more money than most of us!!! :lol:
Earth2Mama: Yes, it's got to be frustrating as all get out for Max. I'm sure he'd just rather put a baseball bat through their skulls and call it a day but in the bigger picture of life that wouldn't be right either. :P :oops: :P
XAF RU208: Welcome: I'm glad you are enjoying it! :)
Carolyn: So good to hear from you, I get a kick out of Michael too. Poor guy, he's always in trouble for doing the right thing and kids making it wrong! :roll: :D :roll:

Chapter: 16

After everyone made their beds and showered Liz headed off to the study to check out the lesson plan for the four older children while Max made a pot of coffee and set out the various boxes of cereal. He wasn’t in the mood for a large breakfast and he knew Liz wasn’t ready for one either. While he was busying himself with breakfast chores he heard the back door and smiled.

“Good morning Liv…God, it’s good to see you. How was your week-end?”

“Good morning Max, well you know how Sunday was since we spent most of the day together and the rest went just fine. Did you get the bathroom situation handled? That had to be one of his cutest tricks yet.” And the old friend started to giggle.

“Well, Michael talked to both boys and although Junior understood exactly what his father was talking about I’m not so sure JP did. But…he does know it upset his mother and I believe that will take care of the issue. As free as he is he doesn’t like upsetting Liz for some reason. They just seem to connect on a different level than the other four.”

“Oh Max, it’s not a connection so much as it’s a deep understanding. JP knows he can push Liz only so far and nothing pleases him more than to constantly test those limits. It’s a game to him.”

“I guess you’re right Liv…maybe I’m too close to the situation to see it but I believe you none the less. He is one funny kid though.”

“that he is Max. Where is everyone? Do you want me to fix something besides cereal this morning? You know I’ll be only too glad to fry up some bacon and make something hardy for all of you.”

“Nah…I can handle it. Liz is in the study working on a project and I think she might have something to tell you, why don’t you just head on down there and I’ll take care of this. Just some bowls and glasses and we’re good to go.” And Max pointed to the top of the refrigerator and nodded toward the back of the house.

Olivia knew what he wanted her to do immediately and said…

“Great…I’ll just go on back then. If you need any help with anything just give me a holler.”

Max smiled at his dear friend and nodded toward her as Deana rounded the corner. Dee Dee reached up and gave Olivia a big hug good morning and then Olivia noticed the child in her old jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt and raised an eyebrow and when she caught Max’s eye he nodded to the back of the house again. And like any good friend who understood his actions Olivia headed on back to see Liz.

“Good morning Liz…Max hinted that we needed to talk.”

“Good morning Liv…yes.” And Liz stopped what she was doing and gave her friend a hug for good measure.

“We’re going to home school the kids until this situation is dealt with outside. Honest to God, there are more cars parked on this street than in the down town parking lot. People are here from all over the place. There’s one cop watching another cop who’s watching us and a PI that is watching everyone and then we have the two living in the pool house guarding us while pretending to be gardeners and now Philip is sending another one to move in with us until it’s settled. There’s another one that has been lurking in the bushes watching our every move and JP has been waving to the bastard every time we leave the house. I just don’t know what the hell to do about all of it. So we, I, decided I needed to have the kids with me. I just feel better about it.”

“Dear God…you mean there’s another one besides Don Adams out there?” Olivia was shocked at the news.

“Yes. It seems this one, Joey is his name, was in prison with Don and they were paroled together. We think they came here together only Don is the only one that broke into the house. Shit, isn’t there any end to this nightmare?” Liz was almost in tears again. Olivia patted her hand and wanted to know what she could do to help.

“Well, we feel you should hire some extra help for the house because I’m going to be tied up with teaching for awhile. The kids will make their beds when they get up in the morning because we don’t have to drive into school and they can use the extra time to clean up their rooms and do some chores. I know we’ve never really asked them to do much around the house but I don’t think it will hurt them to learn how to be a little self sufficient, the laundry alone is practically a full time job so you hire however many people you think you’ll need to take care of things while I’m tied up with teaching. Is that alright with you?”

“Of course it’s alright with me but why don’t we wait and see if I can’t handle it alone?”

“No Liv, you do enough around here as it is…just hire someone to pick up the slack okay.”

“Okay Liz…but remember, I offered.”

Liz smiled and her heart warmed…”I’ll remember.” And with that Olivia headed on back to the kitchen to get her hugs from everyone else and started to clean out the refrigerator.

The big week-end had left them with a mountain of leftover food but there was more that would be needed for the week and then Max was about out of pies so it was time to make a call to Connecticut and have some sent out soon. They still got their pies on a regular basis from the grocery store in Farmington and Liz still laughs at Max when they start to get low. He makes it a point to keep track of the inventory in the freezer…there’s one whole section dedicated to his pies and he knows just how many are in there at all times. Some things just never change.

In the meantime Philip had some business over at the court house and stopped in to see his old friend and keep him abreast of what was going on over at his son’s home. Judge Abbott happened to be in his chambers that morning since the docket was very light and Philip spoke with the judges’ secretary and asked if he could have a few words with his honor. She smiled in recognition of Philip and asked him to have a seat while she checked for him…Philip smiled and did as requested. It wasn’t a minute later that the Judges’ office door opened and the Judge preceded his secretary out through the door and smiled at Philip.

“It’s good to see you Philip come in and Blanche, please bring in a fresh pot of coffee.”

“Yes sir, I’ll be right in.” And on that note Philip followed John Abbott into his private office and the two men sat on the large leather couch as they had in previous meetings.

“John, I’m here to bring you up to date on the occurrences going on over at Max’s home. It seems there is a police officer, two as a matter of fact, keeping surveillance on their home. We have our own PI watching Officer Bradley, but apparently someone from the PD is watching Bradley as well…now here’s the kicker. There’s another parolee watching the house.”

Judge Abbott sat up a little straighter in his chair at this revelation.

“This just came to our attention over the week-end and we have two hired body guards working as gardeners living on the premises watching over Liz and the children. John, this whole situation is getting ridiculous, we need to do something about this and soon. My daughter in law is beside herself and has now pulled the children out of school and is home schooling them because she’s terrified something will happen to them. My son is doing his best to maintain his composure but when it comes to his wife and children these men are walking a very thin line.”

Judge Abbott sat in silence, a myriad of emotion running across his face as he listened to Philip’s story and when he was finished he just sat and shook his head.

“Philip, we know about the two policeman. Ed Bradley is being watched by the department. They have no idea why he’s watching your son’s home and that is why the other plain clothes man, his partner to be exact, is watching him. Their Captain was totally taken aback when confronted with the information regarding Ed Bradley and his partner, Carl, told my Bailiff that the Captain has him working on investigating Bradley. They are aware of another parolee but they aren’t sure if Bradley knows about him or not. We are totally aware of what Bradley has been doing but we still don’t know why. He hasn’t filled out any reports on the subject, checked in with any superiors on the subject and Philip, I don’t even want to repeat what we think is going on….” And Judge Abbott trailed off…

“You think it’s a personal thing don’t you? You think he’s stalking my daughter-in-law don’t you?” Philip was being totally upfront with the judge.

“Yes Philip, we do. Bradley’s wife has a restraining order against him for physical abuse. He has had numerous affairs and is allowed visitation rights with his son but must be accompanied by an officer of the law when he picks the boy up. He has never hurt the boy so he is permitted to take him away from the home for four hours at a time. We don’t want to play our hand too soon because, if we’re right, we want to be able to press charges and make them stick. Now, as far as this other parolee is concerned, we were…, I was, not aware of his presence until this morning but if you feel we need more men on this Philip, we can certainly take care of it.” The judge seemed a little edgy to Philip, which was totally out of character for the man.

“Nah John, I think we have enough people hanging around that house as it is. It seems that this parolee, Joe Sabotini, also poses as a doctor and visits Don Adams in his room almost everyday waiting for the man to regain consciousness. I don’t know if you should pick him up or not. There certainly are enough charges on Don Adams to put him away but so far the only thing Sabotini has done is stalk the Evans’ and impersonate a doctor. If we haul his ass in can we get a conviction on something?”

“Philip, if we haul him in don’t you think that will tip off Bradley?”

“You know what John, I think that there’s enough information on Bradley’s actions to at least bring him up on stalking charges which would definitely end his position with the PD and right now I would just like for all of this to go away. Max and Liz don’t need this nor do those five little kids. Christ, JP waves at Sabotini every morning when Liz takes the kids to school.”

“No!!! You’ve got to be kidding, he actually waves at him?

“Yes, he’s only four years old and he didn’t see anything wrong in it. Max and Liz found out this morning. The other four have noticed Bradley sitting there everyday when they come home from school but they didn’t figure anything was wrong either.”
Philip was getting frustrated as hell telling Judge Abbott about all of this.

“Philip, can you hang around here for awhile? I want to get the Captain over here so we can all sit down and discuss our options and formulate a plan.”

“Fine, I’ll just call my office and check in…let them know where I am and tell them to call my cell if they need me.”

“Good. I’ll have Blanche get us some Danish or something. I have a very light calendar today…we can just visit and catch up.”

And so Judge Abbott had his secretary call the Captain and then asked her if she could order some pastries to be delivered from the bakery down the street. Maybe they could resolve some of this before the day was over.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.17 9/27/10

Post by mary mary »

Eve: thank you.
Carolyn: Thank you 2X. I was out of town for 2 1/2 weeks and just got back today. I can't access my computer offsite so that's why there weren't any updates.

Chapter: 17

Back at the Evans’ home Liz was busy going over the first grade lesson for the day while the girls busied themselves doing arithmetic exercises. JP sat at the end of the table taking in all of the activity going on and was soaking it all up. Liz provided him with some blank notebook paper and a box of number 2 pencils, figuring he would break the lead as readily as not, and the young boy was as quiet as his mother told him he had to be. What Liz didn’t realize was, JP was soaking up all of the information like a little sponge. His numbers were awkward but accurate as was his letters but they were right on the money and the little boy continued to learn.

It took Liz a good 45 minutes to complete the math exercises and then she had the boys copy some problems she had put up on the dry erase board before moving on to the girls English exercises. JP had finished the problems before Liz had even completed her instructions to Parker and Gerard and was ready to listen to what his mother had to say about the English stuff she was going to discuss with the girls. Soon Parker and Gerard were listening to Liz as well and it wasn’t but 2 hours later that mother and children were all finished.

Liz gathered up the papers from the library table and started to correct them when JP got her attention…

“Mom?”

“Yes JP.”

“You didn’t take mine.” And the little one looked so disappointed that Liz didn’t have the heart to tell him that his didn’t count so she held out her hand and JP gave his mother his papers.

“Just give me a minute to look these over JP and you can go and play…okay?”

And JP looked at his mom with his honey eyes and smiled…

“Okay.”

Liz picked up the first paper that JP handed to her and it was the math exercise, she looked it over and couldn’t believe her eyes…he had completed all of the problems and they were all correct. She then hurriedly grabbed the rest of the papers, and although his little hands needed some practice with his penmanship he was right on the money. Dear God in heaven just what is his IQ she thought. Then she asked…

“JP, what do you learn at preschool when daddy takes you?”

“We learned our numbers and we are up to L in our letters but I help Mrs. Johnson because I can do all of my letters…we learned the “Pledge of Allegiance” and we are learning to read.”

“I see…and just how do you help Mrs. Johnson?”

“Oh, I help the other kids when she’s busy with little John…big John doesn’t need so much help but little John doesn’t catch on so good so she helps him and I help the rest. Dad says it’s good that I can help out and that’s why I don’t have to go to school everyday.”

“I see. Well, honey you got everything right today so maybe tomorrow we will try something new just for you…okay?”

“Sure mommy.” And with that the little one was gone in a flash. She needed to have Max talk with Mrs. Johnson about JP’s progress…maybe he needs to be in first grade…and then she thought ‘no, that won’t be any good…Parker and Gerard might not like the fact that their four year old brother is in the same class as they are. I have to talk to Max. And with that Liz continued to check over the other children’s work before sending it off to school via the fax machine.

Meanwhile, back at the courthouse Philip and Judge Abbott waited for the Captain to get there while having coffee and Danish. The two men found they had a lot in common what with older children and grandchildren… they sat and exchanged stories of family and finally the bailiff knocked on the door and showed the Captain in. Blanche had gone to lunch and Dave had seen the Captain when he came into the courthouse so he went over to see how the man was doing. The Captain informed the Bailiff, Dave, that he was here to see Judge Abbott and Dave took him right in. The Judge introduced Philip to Dave, whom he had seen on numerous occasions but had never met formally, and then the Judge asked Dave if he was busy. When he found out the bailiff had nothing to do he was asked to join in on the meeting since he was the one who had contacted the Captain in the first place. Dave informed the judge he would be more than glad to participate.

Judge Abbott began…

“So Captain, it seems as though one of your officers has been ‘stalking’ Mr. Evans daughter-in-law. We are pretty certain of this now but there seems to be a lot of other activity going on over at the Evans home as well. Philip, would you like to share your information with the Captain and then perhaps the Captain would like to share some with us. Maybe we can bring an end to all of this.” It was a little unusual for a judge to be involved in situations of this sort but this was kind of unique and Philip appreciated any and all help.

And so Philip proceeded to tell the Police Captain what his office had discovered regarding the prisoner, Don Adams, as well as his partner in crime. He also informed him of Joey’s visits to the hospital dressed as a doctor and the fact that Officer Bradley served under Don Adams in the marine corp. The Captain was flabbergasted…he knew that Bradley was watching the Evans house but knew nothing of the other players. He was also shocked to find out that the Evans’ knew of Bradley’s activities and just sat there and shook his head.

“Judge Abbott, Mr. Evans…We are trying very hard to build a case against Bradley before pulling him in, that is why Carl is watching him but we had no idea that there was another man involved with the break in at the Evans’ home. Had we known that Mrs. Evans found the device we would have acted sooner but I don’t think we would have been able to build a solid case against Bradley. We need to come up with a plan to get this situation taken care of and as soon as possible. The woman must be half out of her mind with worry.”

Then Philip spoke up…

“Well, you would have to know Liz to understand how she’s dealing. She started to home school the kids today because she doesn’t want them out of her sight but I can guarantee, if anyone tries to hurt one of them they’ll not only have to answer to my son but his wife as well and when she gets riled it isn’t pretty. It usually starts with hysterical laughter and then look out. Not many people understand the laughing but it’s what she does when she’s had enough and I think she’s about had enough.” And Philip smiled at the men sitting around the coffee table in the judges chambers.

“Well Mr. Evans…” The Captain said..

“Philip, you can call me Philip.”

“Great, Philip I think we have enough information to bring charges against Ed and I believe we can pick this Joey up while we’re at it…I believe we can add stalking to his profile as well.”

And with that all of the men agreed and after shaking hands and wishing each other well they all exited the office and were on their way. Judge Abbott just stood there and shook his head, he needed to get this PS thin taken care of as soon as possible…this wasn’t good at all and he went over to his desk to make a phone call.

When the Captain got outside he decided to give Carl a call to see where he was and he told the Captain that he was outside the Evans’ home watching Ed.

“Come on in Carl, we’re going to put an end to this and get that damned device out of the Evans’ home. They know all about it and have PI’s and the FBI working on it. If we don’t take care of this it could be a black mark on the whole damned department. Damn that man and his actions…I had no idea he was like this. None!!!”

“I know Cap. I’ll be there in about 30 minutes…it’s heavy traffic right now.”

“Fair enough, and make sure that dumb ass doesn’t see you.”

“Right you are Cap. In 30.” Carl said as he was turning around in a driveway down the block and heading on out. Steve sat there watching and wondered what the hell was going on now. ‘Oh well, we’ll find out soon enough’ he thought to himself as he continued to man his post.

In the meantime Max had come home from work and was talking to Liz in the kitchen when she whispered in his ear to come with her. It was easy to do since Max was nuzzling her neck as he usually did. The kids were all outside helping Smith and Jones rake leaves…they were more like playing in the leaves than raking but they were having fun.

Max followed Liz into the study and Liz showed him JP’s papers from this morning…Max took a look and raised an eyebrow at Liz and shrugged his shoulders.

“Is there something wrong with this?”

“No Max, there’s not a thing wrong with this…look at the name on the top of the paper.”

Max took a look and couldn’t see what the problem was…”What Liz? What’s wrong?”

“Max, this is Parker and Gerard’s lesson for today, JP was finished with the problems before I even had a chance to explain what I wanted done with them. Max!!! This is not normal.”

“Well it is for JP Liz. I thought you knew he was a little above the rest in the IQ department. Not that the others are slouchers but JP is just a cut above. I’ve known that for a very long time haven’t you?”

“Well yes, but not to this extent. Max, he belongs in first…maybe second grade.” Liz was beside herself.

“No sweetheart, no he doesn’t. We won’t be pushing him to be something he’s not ready for. Let him move his earth around and feel important, let him watch the discovery channel, the history channel and the news. Not very many four year old little boys can do this and understand it. That’s why the adults like him so much…they don’t have to come down to his level to converse, he talks to them on their level Liz. Let him be a little boy…the little boy we all know and love. He’ll get to second grade soon enough and we will put him in accelerated classes but we will never put him out of his age group. He may be extremely intelligent but Liz, he’s only four. Let’s keep him that way.”

“So, you’ve known about this?”

“Yes…some of it. Mrs. Johnson keeps singing his praises and keeps telling me how quickly he catches on to things and what a big help he is to the other kids but I didn’t know he was capable of doing first and third grade work. We’ll just keep this to ourselves. Okay?”

“Okay Max, but if he starts to get bored we’ll have to do something about it.”

“We will Liz…I’ll just have to expand my library. We’ll see to it that he gets kept interested and that he has every chance offered him but he will stay JP.”

“Fine…I was just so shocked when I saw his papers, which by the way he insisted that I grade for him, that I could hardly wait to talk to you. I need to go to the office supply and buy some stars or some rubber stamps or something. They need rewarded.” Liz was on a mission now.

Max smiled and pulled his little wife into a great big hug and kissed the top of her head.

“I knew you’d want to get right in there and do something big for him but we don’t have to Liz. He seems to be doing okay on his own and we will not have an overeducated snob on our hands.”

“You’re right Max…we’ll just keep things as they are. Oh, and we were finished with lessons in about three hours today. I don’t know what takes all day at school but it didn’t take all that long here and that was with two classes.”

Max kissed Liz’s head again and smiled…

“And you only had four little kids to deal with too.”

“Yeah, and they are very smart little kids too!”

And Liz giggled as Max hugged her hard and planted a proper kiss on her mouth.

“Where are they anyway?”

“Oh, they’re all outside raking leaves with Smith and Jones. I think Smith and Jones are ready to haul them all in…I’ve been watching through the back window and as fast as the leaves get raked the five of them take a running leap and fall into them giggling and laughing like they hadn’t a care in the world.”

“And they don’t.”

And with that Max took Liz by the hand and headed out to the back yard to help his children have fun. He managed to grab a couple of baseball mitts and some balls on his way. A good game of catch sounded like fun before the sun went down and it was like there wasn’t another thing on earth going on except fun in the Evans’ back yard.

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.17 9/27/10

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: It's so nice to be missed!!! :lol:
Dreambeliever: Welcome back, it's good to hear from you. :)
Eve:Yes he is a little genius and he does need to grow psychologically as well as mentally and I think that playing with his trucks in the back yard is just the ticket. :wink:

*~*~*

Chapter: 18

When Carl got back to the station it was about 3:00 p.m. and he headed straight into the Captains office and closed the door behind him.

“Hey Cap…what’s up?” Carl knew something was in the works but he had to get it first hand before making any assumptions.

“Carl, the Evans’ are totally aware of the listening device and on the advice of their attorney and the FBI they have been told to live with the thing until this is resolved and it seems that is what they have been doing. Mrs. Evans figured it out the first day Ed started watching her. She kept running into him all over town, got suspicious, and started looking around the kitchen since that’s the only place there had been any strangers. She found it on top of her refrigerator and called her lawyer father-in-law immediately. They have armed body guards living on the premises and Mrs. Evans has started home schooling the children. The woman is a nervous wreck over this and I can’t say as I blame her one damned bit. I think we have enough to press charges on Ed and also the extra player, who I found out this afternoon is one Joseph Sabotini who served in the Connecticut state prison with one Don Adams. It seems they planned this break-in together but Joey, as he’s called by his associates, waited outside of the gated home for his partner and was waylaid by the actions of Mrs. Evans. It seems he has also been visiting the hospital as well, dressing as a doctor and making his way into Don Adams room right past our guard. So, now that we all look like total fools I think it’s time to bring this to an end.” The Captain was on a tirade and it didn’t seem as though it was going to stop anytime soon.

Carl spoke up…

“How soon do you want us to take them down…you know that Ed will be leaving his watch soon to make his rounds at the hospital.” Carl was ready to go back to the Evans home right now but the Captain thought it would be better to have a plan rather than going out there half cocked and losing Joey in the process.

The Captain spoke up…

“Let’s get a team together and we’ll take care of it the first thing in the morning, does that sound like it’s soon enough. Who have we got out there that you trust implicitly?”

“Just about all of them Cap. Do you have any reservations about any of them?”

“No, not really…pick three of the best, three that you know will have your back, and bring them in. We’ll need to case the place in order to place Joey and then we’ll just stroll up to him…As for Bradley, put the cuffs on him when he checks in in the morning.”

“Fair enough Cap. I’ll get right on it.” And Carl left the Captains office.

In the meantime Joey had made his way across town to pay his daily visit to the prison ward at the hospital and after changing clothes in the men’s room he made his way up to the fourth floor. When he got to the nurses station he noticed a lot of activity going on down in Adams room and he figured something big must have happened. He watched as the armed guard came out of the prisoner’s room and headed to the nurses station telephone. He pretended to be reading a chart as the guard placed a call to the local precinct to inform them that the prisoner had regained consciousness and that they should probably send someone down to question him. Joey left the floor immediately and headed for the men’s room. He put the extra pair of scrubs over the pair he was wearing and waited. He needed to work fast if he was going to break Don out of here. The place would be crawling with cops before long.

Back at the Evans’ Bradley took off and decided to head on into the office before going to the hospital and besides he needed to catch up with everyone. When he pulled into the parking lot Carl got a glimpse of him and headed back into headquarters and right back up to the Captains office.

The minute Bradley walked into the squad room two uniformed police officers approached him…Bradley smiled at the two men but before he knew it he was cuffed and being read his rights. He had no idea what in the hell was going on and the next thing he knew he was in an interrogation room with his partner Carl and the Captain sitting there with him.

“What the hell is going on Carl?” Bradley demanded.

Carl kept quiet and allowed the Captain to take over.

“Ed, you were told to stay away from the Evans house were you not?”

And Ed got very quiet…he knew, all of a sudden he knew. It was all over.

“Yeah, Cap. I was.”

“Then what in the hell is a surveillance device doing in their kitchen and why in the hell have you been sitting outside of their home watching every move they’ve made since the break-in. That is stalking Ed and the Evans’ are pressing charges.” Then the Captain read Ed his rights again before continuing, just to make sure that it had been done and done right.

“There will be a hearing tomorrow and you will probably be released on your own recognizance but if you go anywhere near that part of town your life as you know it will be over. You are also suspended pending an investigation by internal affairs at which time we will make a decision regarding your career as a policeman. Do you understand all of this Ed? I’m only asking because I think someone knocked you over the head as well as that Don Adams. I spent the better part of this afternoon with Philip Evans, Attorney at Law, and Judge John Abbott who happens to know Philip Evans, father-in-law to one Liz Evans. Does that name ring a bell?”

“Yeah Cap. I understand.” And with that Carl led Ed out of the interrogation room and headed for the lock-up. The Captain just stood there and shook his head. What a damned waste was all he could think at the time.

Back at the estate Max and Liz were playing ball with the kids and Smith and Jones even joined in as well as the new body guard assigned to the house, they call him Shorty. He’s not really short but he has short legs so, hence the nick name. Everyone was having a great time when Liz heard the phone in the house. She took off on a dead run and when she finally got to the kitchen she heard the answering machine just as she picked up the phone as it was ready to record.

“Hello…” was her breathless greeting…

“Hello. Is this Mrs. Evans?”

“Yes, it is. May I ask who’s calling?”

“Of course Mrs. Evans. This is the Captain of the Philadelphia Police Department. I wanted to let you know personally that our officer Bradley has been taken into custody pending a hearing tomorrow and should he ever bother you again I want you to personally call me and let me know. I will leave a message with our dispatcher that she should patch you into my office at any time. I am so sorry for your trouble and Mr. Carl Self will be by tomorrow to pick up the surveillance device from you. If you will go and get it I will tell you how to turn it off, but before you pick it up make sure you use a plastic bag of some sort and try not to leave nor erase any fingerprints.” The Captain was doing everything he could to make Liz comfortable with this entire situation and only hoped it was working.

“Fine Captain, but have you done anything about the other lurker out there?” And Liz started walking over to the refrigerator to retrieve the bug.

Not yet Mrs. Evans. We were going to take care of both of the them tomorrow morning but Ed showed up at the office this afternoon and we stopped him right here. So tomorrow we will be coming over with four men to pick up Joseph Sabotini and to get the device. Do you have it yet?”

“Yes, I’ve got it right here. So you are aware of this Joey fellow as well?”

“Yes we are. I sat in on a meeting with your father-in-law this afternoon and we discussed the entire situation. We were aware of Ed Bradley’s actions but we were totally surprised at the introduction of Joey as you call him. He was not on our radar at all but we will pick him up tomorrow. Please keep the children out of the back yard until we tell you it is safe. We don’t expect anything to go wrong but you never know. No matter how well prepared you are there is always the unknown.”

“Yes there is. Now how do I turn this puppy off?”

“Please try not to touch it Mrs. Evans. Make sure to pick it up by the ends, try not to leave any finger prints on it and keep it in the plastic bag.” Then the Captain walked Liz through the process of switching off the listening device and Liz carefully placed the plastic bag she was holding into another plastic sandwich bag and sat it down by the telephone. She was very accustomed to handling sensitive material and when she was sure all was secure she then bid the Captain goodbye and went out and gathered everyone up and told them what had just transpired and that the police would be by in the morning to arrest Joey. Max reached over and gave her a hug and she smiled at him and told him she was going to go in and start dinner. Olivia had put a nice roast in the oven earlier and she was going to finish it up and start setting the table. She then asked Smith and Jones to join them in the house for dinner this evening. She didn’t think there would be any big events taking place outside until morning and the men said that sounded very nice and headed to the pool house to shower.

*~*~*

In the meantime, Joey was keeping a very close eye on the comings and goings from the fourth floor elevator. There weren’t anymore doctors in the corridor and the nurses station seemed very quiet…so, when the guard headed to the men’s room Joey made his move and made it into Adams room as fast as he could. He found a tool on the bedside table and quickly un-cuffed Don, stripped out of his spare scrubs and got Don dressed in nothing flat. The green hat covered his bandages and Joey had the man in the elevator and on the first floor in no time flat. By the time the guard got back and took his seat outside of Adams room he was none the wiser that the man was gone.

*~*~*
Last edited by mary mary on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.19 10/12/10

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn, Dreambeliever and Eve: Thanks for your concern...I hope I've got some surprises for you laced in with all the fluff! :lol: Thanks for reading.

Chapter: 19

When Joey got Don out of the hospital and into the old jeep they had purchased in Connecticut Don looked at the man for a while and finally said…

“Who are you?”

Joey looked over at Don in disbelief. The man didn’t even recognize him…what the hell do they do now? Joey just shook his head and then said…

“You can call me Joey, but right now we need to get the hell out of this parking lot before it’s filled up with cops.” And Joey took off like a bat out of hell.

He didn’t know where to go but he figured no one knew where he was staying so he headed for the cheap motel on the outskirts of town that he had called home for the past couple of weeks before he made any major decisions. He needed to get Don some clothes or….he could take his sorry ass back to the hospital and just drop him off at the front door. He didn’t know what the hell to do about any of this, Don was the one with all of the answers, he was the one who was in contact with the brains behind this operation and now Joey was up to his ass in alligators with no way out. As far as Joey knew, nobody knew of his involvement in this plan and the plan was a major FUBAR!

*~*~*

In the meantime a lot of whispering was going on at the Philadelphia PD and a lot of plain clothed detectives were milling around each other trying to figure out what was going on.

Carl went into the Captains office and stood over the middle aged man’s desk and got his attention.

“Captain. You need to go out there and answer some questions before this thing gets so blown out of proportion that there won’t be any way back.”

The Captain looked up at Carl and then around the large man’s body so he could look through his window and he decided Carl was right. There were at least five small groups of men out there all talking amongst themselves and he supposed that they should at least know something in order to get some work out of them if for no other reason.

So Carl walked out of the Captains office and the Captain followed him in what seemed like forever to Carl but in reality was only a couple of minutes.

“Attention.” The Captain started. “As you must all know by now, Ed Bradley has been taken into custody. It has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he has been stalking a person and the witnesses to this crime is part of an ongoing investigation of another kind. Therefore he has been taken into custody. As you are all aware, it is a crime that is difficult to prove but we do have proof and he has abused his position as a detective to assist himself in pursuing this person. There is no need for any of you to concern yourselves further with this information and it would be in the best interest of this department if you dropped all discussion of this and got back to work.”

With that the Captain turned his back to his men and headed back to his office. They were all stunned by his announcement and began to break up their small groups and started to take their places at their desks. Almost everyone of them, to the man, looked at Carl, who chose to ignore them. They all knew better than to approach Carl for anymore information than was given because Carl was just not the type to talk about anything that would be detrimental to an investigation, especially one that involved one of their own.

Meanwhile, back at the hospital, a night nurse headed into Don Adams' room to check on her patient only to find the room empty. She immediately ran out to the hallway and grabbed the officer on duty and literally pulled him into the room. Both people stood there looking at the empty bed in utter silence and shock…

“What in the???” John Stokowski thought to himself…the Captain is going to blow a gasket and before he got on the phone he tried to remember when he took his last break, it had to have been at least 45 minutes ago…damn!

The dispatchers desk was busy as all get out that evening and when she finally took John Stokowski’s call he asked to be patched into the Captain of detectives. And… of course the dispatcher had to go through her routine and John finally broke all protocol…

God dammit Julie, get the Captain now, we’ve got an escapee running loose from the hospital!

And Julie promptly connected John to the Captain. By the time John told the Captain what had happened the Captain looked as though he might have a heart attack on the spot. His face was beet red, he was breathing heavily and the only thing he wasn’t doing that he wanted to do was yell. Instead he buzzed Carl and the detective sitting next to him, Dwain Robinson, to come into his office. Both men could hear the urgency in the Captains voice and dropped everything and started to practically run toward their Captain.

“You two need to get over to the prison ward of the hospital and start an investigation…Don Adams has escaped and I wouldn’t be surprised if that Joe Sabotini didn’t have something to do with it. Take extra surveillance tapes with you and bring back the ones in use. Also, bring Stokowski with you. He was on duty at the time. I’ll call the Evans’. Oh, and send an unmarked over there to keep an eye on them. I know they have their own PI’s there but one more won’t hurt.”

After the two detectives left his office the Captain got back to the phone to call Max and Liz…God, how he hated doing this. He read some of Adams’ file after getting back from his meeting with the Judge and couldn’t believe the amount of grief this man has put this woman through. They really need to put an end to this….

“Hello”…it was Briana who answered the phone in the kitchen while she and Deana were helping to bring dishes in from the dining room.

“Hello. Is this the Evans’ home?” The Captain tried to sound very calm as he spoke to the youngster.

“Yes it is, my mom will be right in. She’s cleaning the stove.” Briana told the Captain, who had to smile at that remark. Imagine that! Was all he could think at the time.

“Good evening, this is Liz.”

“Hello Liz…this is Captain Lewis over at the PD.” The Captain really didn’t want to tell the woman the news he had…

“Hello Captain Lewis, I recognize your voice, is something wrong?” About that time Max came in with a load of dishes and stopped dead in his tracks. He looked at his wife and then set the plates down on the island and went over to her and held her around the waist and waited.

“Yes Mrs. Evans, it seems that Don Adams has escaped from the prison ward at the hospital and we think that Joe Sabotini was responsible for it. I have a crew going over there right now to investigate and I am sending another car to your home for surveillance. The officer will be bringing another listening device with him if that’s alright with you and he will be stationed outside, on the street. I know you have men there with you but it will make us feel better if we have someone there as well.”

Liz stood her ground and managed to remain calm. She still hadn’t relaxed from the first ordeal so, although her body stiffened a little, she managed to answer the Captain coherently…

“I understand. Yes, send the officer over and I’ll let him put his device on the refrigerator. I won’t touch the thing, just as before, but I will not release this other device to anyone but you. You can understand can’t you. I’m beginning to lose just a little bit of faith in our ‘protectors’ if you know what I mean.” She was starting to lose it a little and Max, who had no idea what was happening, decided to just let her handle it. Maybe the fact that she knew she had to stay calm might help her to do so.

“Fine Mrs. Evans, and please believe me, if I had known that any of this was going on before talking to your father-in-law none of this would have taken place.” The Captain didn’t know what else to say to the woman and Liz just answered,

“Mmm Hmm.” And she hung up on the man.

The Captain just sat there and looked at the dead receiver in his hand and couldn’t believe it…’oh well, I guess we’re finished’ he thought to himself. And then he grinned, he had to meet this woman and he made up his mind to go over with the detectives in the morning and introduce himself.

“What’s going on Liz?” Max asked with concern in his voice.

“Don escaped and they think this Joey had something to do with it. They’re sending a plain clothes officer to sit outside again and they are bringing another listening device to the house. They want to keep this one as evidence against Ed Bradley…shit Max, shit shit shit!!!”

And Max took hold of his little wife and held her for quite awhile before going into the living room to talk to all of the body guards and to inform them that the danger was back double. They all looked at the man and nodded and JP stood up and started for the stairway.

“Where are you going JP, don’t you want to know why?”

“No Dad, I need my big boots.” And the tyke was trudging up the steps as he spoke. Max watched his son go and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so he rubbed the back of his head instead. Bless his little heart, Liz was right…they knew danger that’s for sure.

“What’s he doing?” Jonesy asked.

“Oh, when Don Adams broke in and had him in his clutches Liz told him to kick him and run. JP did just that but when it was all over he insisted that he get a pair of big boots…better for kickin’. Those were his exact words. He’s upset and frightened but his boots will make him feel better. We may have to put a cast iron skillet by his bed but if that’s what he needs then that’s what he’ll get.” And Max smiled at the P.I. as he told him the story.

Jonesy and the other two men just looked at each other.

“Max, do you want us to stay in the house tonight and take shifts?” Max looked at the three men in his living room and smiled.

“You guys are going to have to take care of this because I know nothing about this type of thing. I’m going to try and do some maintenance work on my children to make them feel safe in their own home and then I’m going to get my wife to settle down even if it takes a bottle of gin to do it. I know she seems in control on the outside but should you see her start to laugh hysterically please come and get me. That means she’s headed for a meltdown and once she starts crying it’s all over. She is liable to do anything.”

All three men looked at Max and then they understood why he carried her away from the bar-b-que the other day.

And so the three bodyguards all headed to the pool house to discuss shifts and strategy. Jones suggested they call Jesse and get two more men on the perimeter. This was going to take 24 hour surveillance and they didn’t have much confidence in the PD so call Jesse is what they did.

After that phone call Jesse contacted Philip and brought him up to speed as well as and soon as you could call in the troops they were there. Not just two but four more men were at the Evans’ home and Liz put two of them up in spare bedrooms while one got the attic and another the hide-a-bed in the basement media room. She only hoped they caught up with the two running loose in the city before anyone got hurt. Max sat a bucket of baseballs outside, on the the upstairs balcony, off of his and Liz’s room. The P.I.’s had their weapons but a 90 mph baseball didn’t feel so good either and then there was always that cast iron skillet on the stove. He had to convince himself that they were safe otherwise he would lose his mind…he not only had Liz to worry about but he had five little ones as well and this was not an easy thing to do for him. He really didn’t want to hurt anybody but if he had to he would take them down, no doubt about it. And so he and Liz headed on up the stairs as they left the body guards to their jobs. Smith was going to take the first shift on the enclosed patio, which gave him a very good view of the entire back yard. One of the new men was in the corner on the front porch sitting in the shadows and the third was sitting in the kitchen quietly surveying the back entrance of the house and all was quiet.

JP had his kicking boots on his little feet when Max and Liz went in to check on him. He was all curled up, sound asleep, feeling safe. Liz gave a wistful smile to Max and he grabbed her into him and whispered, “This is going to be alright Liz…I swear it.” And she stifled a moan and went to their room to cry silently.

And across town, in a cheap motel, one Joey Sabotini didn’t know what to do with the man sitting there in front of him who didn’t know who he was or anything about himself. Joey had a big decision to make and right now he felt like his only option was to just drive off and leave the man sitting there. He had to think!

*~*~*

mary mary
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Meet the Evans' Clan (A.U. M/L Mature)ch.19 10/12/10

Post by mary mary »

Carolyn: :lol: We all do what we can!!!
Dreambeliever: Let's see how far this war goes? :D
Eve: You're right! WAR HAS BEEN DECLARED! :P :P :P

Thank you for reading...

Chapter: 20

Max finally felt comfortable about leaving the children in their rooms but he also put Jack’s bed right in the middle of the hallway and left all bedroom doors open. For some reason the dog understood and stayed on guard.

“I swear he has a sixth sense Liz…look at him.” And Max stood in the doorway and watched as Jack cocked his ear and watched.

“I don’t have to look Max…I know he’s aware. He’s been watching JP for the past three weeks out in the back yard. It was brought to my attention by Smitty and I started to observe him, he’s never more than two feet away from him at any given time during the day. I think if JP wanted to move the entire front yard dirt to the back yard Jack would follow every foot step without fail.”

“Well, one thing is for sure, that dog definitely is more than a free loader.” And Liz giggled…Max knew this would tickle her, she had once called the dog a useless freeloader and Max just looked at her and grinned.

“You know what Liz?” Max asked with a twinkle in his eye…

“No Max…what?” Liz wasn’t too sure about where this conversation was going but she’d hear him out without interruption.

“I think, when this is all over, that you should write a book. You keep a journal, you should just write all of this down and then publish it.” Max was on a roll now and Liz was ready to pummel him with pillows.

“A book! You want me to write a book about all of this shit? You have lost your mind Max Evans…there is no way in hell that I want to put any of this to paper much less read about it. I just want all of this to go away…and go away right now. I am so sick of being terrified that one of my children will be harmed that I don’t know where in the hell to put myself and you want me to write this down. You have gone mad Max… totally mad!@!!$!!”

Max grabbed Liz by the waist and lifted her up onto the bed and crawled in beside her.

“Shhh, shhh, baby, it’s okay. We are going to be fine. It’s not like we will be surprised by anything that happens. We are expecting it and we are ready for it and neither one of these men are the brightest crayon in the box so just relax.”

Liz looked up at her beautiful husband and smiled through her tears…

“You’re right to a point Max, they may not be very bright but they are dangerous. I still want it to go away, I want my mundane life back. I want my eight year old girls to have crushes on little boys called Tim and Tom. I want my six year old sons looking for special shirts and smiling at Marlene and Margie…I want JP trying to con me into spaghetti every night for dinner…and I want my husband…my relaxed husband. The one that isn’t walking around with a terrified look on his face, the one who can smile easily at a child’s faux pas. The one who can play a game of catch without looking beyond the fence between every pitch. I want US Max…I want us back.”

Max smiled,

“Sweetheart you have all of those already you don’t have to wish for them.”

“Yes I do Max. I have to keep my beautiful children away from their friends at school because some damned fool thinks it’s my fault he’s nuts. I pity him Max, I really do. Do you know that he has children of his own somewhere out there and those poor children have no father to love or to take care of them. That is sad Max and he’s too damned stupid to realize just what he’s missing and he’s making our lives a living hell. I want him gone and when I say gone I think I mean permanently.”

“Oh Liz, you don’t mean that sweetheart…you’re just worn out from all of this.”

“No Max, I do mean it. I’m beginning to think that it’s the only way to stop this… just get rid of him. You know what Max? I wish the blow on the head would have killed him…I know that would make me a murderer but if it would help our kids to be safe then so be it.”

“Shhh…I know you don’t mean that and our kids are safe and this will be over soon. The police will find them and it will all be done with.”

“I don’t think those policemen could find their asses in the dark with both hands Max. That asshole was right out there on the other side of the fence and they didn’t even see him. JP saw him for God’s sake and the cops didn’t. I don’t know Max, this is all insane.”

Max chuckled, it wasn’t funny but Liz was…she continued ranting and for her it was a good thing…she was getting it all out and Max just laid there with her in his arms and let her rant. Finally she ran down and Max kissed the top of her head and asked her if she was ready to go to bed.

“Yes.” And then she looked up at her husband and grinned. “You are wonderful. You know that don’t you?”

“Right back atcha’ sweet.” And Max got up and grabbed her hand and pulled her upright so she could crawl off the bed and get to the bathroom to get ready for bed. She did have school to teach after all and she had to be ready for JP or he just might take over for her. And Max smiled…this was getting to him also but he couldn’t let Liz know that and he headed for the hallway to check on the kids one more time as Jack laid there quietly watching every move the man made.

*~*~*

The next morning the alarm went off right at 6:30 on the nose and Liz groaned, she had forgotten to change the time so she just reached over and flipped the button off with full intentions of going back to sleep. Max awoke immediately on hearing the offensive appliance but didn’t make any indication to Liz that he was awake…he just laid there and waited for her to make the decision to get up or not and when she proceeded to crawl back onto his body and go back to sleep he grinned and wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in much tighter than she expected.

“Are you sleepy?” He asked, knowing full well what the answer was going to be…

“Mmm Hmm.” Was her only reply…her mouth making a tickling sensation on his chest as she mumbled…

“Do you think you might have a couple of minutes for me this morning?” He chuckled…that usually got her attention.

“Mmm Hmm.” She managed to get out as she wiggled a little…finding a much more cozy spot on his body to lay next to.

“Well, that feels nice. Just how awake are you?” Max grinned over the top of her head.

“I’m as awake as I’m going to get but don’t you think that, if we carry on this CONVERSATION, we should close the bedroom door?”

“Well, maybe for a little while anyway…who do you think should do the closing?”

“Since this was your idea I think you should have the honors, don’t you?”

“Well, if you insist.” So Max got out of bed and made his way to the bedroom door, quietly pulling the set of French doors off of the sitting room in the master suite shut. He left the other doors open just in case someone felt the need to come in and get them…of course he did make sure the door was locked first and when he got back to his bed his wife was already prepared for him…pj’s thrown to the foot of the bed and his wife propped up on the pillows waiting for him with open arms. Max chuckled at her and he knew he was in for a great start to his morning, nothing else like it on earth and he was one happy man.

When they finally got up and headed for the bathroom there was some scratching at the bedroom door and since Liz was already half dressed she went and opened it for Jack. She knew by the sounds just who it was wanting in and when she opened the door the dog made a bee line for the balcony door and Liz was hot on his tail.

“What Jack? What’s out there?” Her heart was jumping out of her body she was so scared and when she looked over the balcony she saw that Jonesy had found a cat in the side yard…apparently the animal had gotten stuck somehow and couldn’t get out and Liz relaxed. Then she started to wonder how in the hell a cat would get stuck…there was nothing to get stuck on and she took off like she had been shot out of a cannon and Max was right behind her.

“Liz…what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know yet…” and she kept on running down the stairs.

When she got outside she ran into Jones and repeated Max’s question…

“Oh, it’s alright Liz. A cat has kittens back here and was trying to move them, I guess she didn’t know where to move them to. Should we call the shelter?”

“How big are the kittens?” She asked breathlessly and also relieved. She wanted to know if they were old enough to be separated from their mother or not.

“They aren’t too big Liz…as a matter of fact I would say they’re very young, maybe just a couple of days if that, their eyes are still closed.”

“Oh damn.” Was Liz’s only comment.

Max knew damned well that those kittens had just found a home…just what they needed. If they kept the kittens until they were old enough to take them to the animal shelter the kids would have already named all of them and then they would all have a fit. Damn…he agreed with Liz.

“What do you want me to do with them Liz?” Jonesy knew what she was going to say before she even said it. They were all getting to know each other fairly well by now and he just knew she wouldn’t get rid of them.

“Well, we’re not going to take them into the house but I guess we can get a box and put them in the enclosed patio. Does the mother look tame?”

“Yeah, she seems to be but I wouldn’t try to get between her and her babies just yet.”

“Okay…let me get some tuna fish and some milk and put it on the patio for her. I’ll find an empty box and put some papers in the bottom and some towels. She can make herself comfortable back there with her babies and then we’ll decide what to do with them in about six weeks.” And with that she turned and headed back into the house while Max and Jonesy stood there shaking their heads.

“Looks like you’ve got cats Max.”

“Seems as though.” And Max followed his wife into the house. Just what they needed…cats, dogs, kids and criminals. What next?

After Liz got a box from the basement she went to the linen closet and got a couple of old towels…then she saw the heating pad, retrieved that as well and headed to the patio and left the door open to the yard. She made a clean bed for the baby kittens, she cut a hole in the lower side of the box to feed the power cord to the heating pad through and then plugged it into the wall and turned it as low as it would go. She then placed the pad under the folded towels. She put some milk in a metal bowl and opened a can of tuna and put that in another bowl about the same size, then she left the patio to allow the mother cat to do her moving.

She headed upstairs to get the kids up and get them ready for the day and when they had all made their beds, taken their showers and were dressed they headed to the kitchen for breakfast.

Since Liz had a house full of grown men she had decided that a hardy breakfast was in store for today and when Max came back down stairs dressed and ready for work he wanted to know if she needed any help.

“Why don’t you set the table in the dining room and make enough places for all of the men as well. Olivia can clean up after she gets here. I think we’ll do bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast today. Does that sound good?” She asked with a puzzled look on her face.

Max smiled and gave her a hug…

“That sounds wonderful. I need that after the workout I got this morning.” And then Max really smiled…he could still make her blush and it was a wonderful feeling.

It wasn’t but three minutes after coming down the back staircase until JP came running into the kitchen to get his sisters and brothers ….

“Come on!!! We have kittens.”

And Liz yelled…

“WE do not have kittens. A STRAY CAT HAS KITTENS and they are too little to move…DO NOT PLAY with those kittens, DO NOT TOUCH those kittens… AND ABOVE ALL, DO.NOT. NAME. those kittens!!!”

And five little bodies stopped dead in their tracks. Then JP, the leader of the pack, had to ask…

“Can we look at the kittens?” He was as serious as Liz had ever seen him. Not ignoring what she had said but knowing his mother as he did he knew she just got a little excited sometime. She looked over at Max and he told the kids to sit down a minute.

“Look guys…if you touch the kittens before they are old enough the mother cat won’t have anything to do with them and then they’ll die. We have to wait and see if she has moved them all into the patio room first and then we’ll all go out and look at them because the mother might get angry and we don’t want her to scratch you. Do you understand. And above all, we don’t know how Jack is going to act around them so we must keep him away from them for sure.”

“You mean she’ll let them die because we want to hold them?” Briana asked.

“Yes…for some reason cats don’t want anything or anyone to touch their babies. Maybe they think we have germs or something, I don’t know. Just don’t touch them.” Max wasn’t sure whether he was telling a story or not but if it worked then it was worth it.

And five little voices all said

“Okay.”

And six grown men had to leave the room and find something to occupy themselves with because they knew those kittens were going to have names before the day was over.

*~*~*

When Olivia came in the back door all five kids went running to greet her as they always did and she was just as happy to see them as they were to see her and then JP announced

“A cat had kittens in our yard and they’re living on the patio. We’re going to go see them when Dad makes sure they are all in the box. We can’t play with them though and Mom said we can’t give them names or play with them but we can look. Do you want to look with us?”

Olivia looked down at her little angel faced imp and smiled and then got a look at Liz…she knew Liz wasn’t really happy about the new arrivals but she would bet her life that those kittens would be named by tomorrow and she gave Liz a knowing grin.

Liz looked back at Olivia and grinned right back at her and said,

“Be quiet.” And both women giggled…

After breakfast was over and done Max and Jonesy went out to the side yard and looked all around and found no kittens so they headed to the patio…sure enough the babies were all snuggled down in the box laying on the clean towels Liz had placed in there all snug and warm and the mother cat had emptied both bowls and was snoozing with her babies. Max told Jones that he’d go get the kids and be right back and Jones just nodded his head and then said with a chuckle…

“You know they’re going to give those kittens names.”

“Yeah, I know but it was worth a shot. I just hope Jack takes to them. I think we’ll bring him out with us and see what he does. The mother cat might not take to him either. This is going to be interesting.”

So Max went inside and called the kids and the dog and they all went out to the patio to have a look. The mother cat wasn’t too pleased with Jack but didn’t make any territorial advances toward the dog and then Max thought…’this cat is used to a dog. She’s not afraid of Jack at all…let’s hope Jack is okay with this’ and the dog just sat and watched. The kids were enthralled with the whole ordeal and then JP popped up with…

“That one looks like a tiger!” and the other four agreed with him and Max just stood there and shook his head…

“Remember what your mother said…do not name the kittens. They do not live here they are only visiting.”

And JP looked at his dad and said…

“Well, he does.” In a very matter of fact tone and Jonesy left the patio to take care of the bushes. This was not going to work at all. Six kittens…oh boy!

*~*~*