Make Up's and Break Up's (AU/CC/Adult) COMPLETE 3/27/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 11

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: Lol, I thought for once, Michael should be the one with a cool and nice family.

We stay in the present today and we will get an M&M meeting. I am really curious what ya will say about this one!

Novy: Michael’s family is nice in this one and they love Maria. ;)

That is so true…. Time just rans off, lol. The next encounter will be… yep, today! ;)

mary mary: Hm well…. MAYBE. Lol

And maybe ya will find some hints in the next part. shhhh

Sundae: Very interesting point of view! Yeah, maybe Michael’s mom should hear him out first, before making a decision. Problem is just that Michael is Mr. Silent about this subject here.

We got a M&M present talk in this uppy. ;)

PART 11

P-R-E-S-E-N-T

“My mom just called me,” Tess says happily as she joins Liz and me at the wooden table out in front of the school building during lunch break. “I got an acceptance from New York! Me and Kyle will go to the same college.”

I smile sadly. “Congrats, Tess.”

“I’m sorry, Maria,” she apologizes when her happy news make me sad.

“Don’t be! You deserve it and I’m happy for ya. Just can’t really show it right now.”

“Did ya get any answers yet?” Liz asks.

I snort. “Got one yesterday.”

“Wasn’t a positive one?” Tess guesses.

“It was an acceptance as well…” I avoid looking at them, “from California.”

“Oh,” is all they can say at first.

“Great timing, huh?” I mutter.

“Definitely. Hell, they told you that chances were very very tiny,” Liz shakes her head, hugging one arm around me.

“Yeah, unfortunately, I had luck for once in my life.”

“Will you tell Michael?” Tess asks curiously.

I shrug. “He probably already knows. I packed his stuff this weekend and took the carton to his house. He wasn’t home, so I just left it on his coffee table. The letter was in it as well.”

“You gave him the necklace back,” Liz notices, gesturing to the now empty spot on my neck.

“Yeah, I don’t want it anymore. Without him it doesn’t mean anything.”

“I still can’t believe it’s over. I mean, you were such a great couple. You never really fought, he was always… attentive to you, ya know?”

“Liz,” I complain, “telling me what a great boyfriend Michael Guerin was isn’t really helping. Please let’s change the subject, ok? Everyone is talking about us anyway, so can we please not?”

“Sure,” Liz nods, but doesn’t know any other theme to talk about.

“What happened to Billy’s face?” I ask when he passes us a few feet away, his nose and eyes bruised.

Tess and Liz exchange a glance. “Ya don’t know?”

I roll my eyes at them. “Why would I ask if I knew?”

“He had a fight with Michael last week, when they were at football camp. Seems like they knocked each other around. That’s why they weren’t in math class today. They had to go to the principal’s office,” Liz explains.

My eyes widen. “But they’re friends, why would they fight and hit each other?”

Tess slides closer to me on the bench. “Kyle said that rumours are, Billy said something about you and that’s when Michael started the fight.”

“Nah, that’s a stupid rumour and someone probably just came up with it because of our break up,” I deny.

“What if it’s not?” Liz asks.

“What if…” I echo. “Well, I guess it doesn’t matter. He cheated, we broke up. He doesn’t have to defend me anymore and if he did about what ever Billy MIGHT have said, it’s his own fault that he made a fight out of it.”

Tess snorts. “Come on, it’s not keeping you cold like this.”

“Whatever,” I mutter.

“He definitely got his punishment,” someone says from behind. It’s Mary Porter, not really someone we’re friends with.

“Huh?” Tess turns to look at her.

“Billy and Michael got suspended from the team for two weeks.”

“The cheater deserves it!” Tess tells her, defending me.

Mary shrugs. “Well, I myself think it’s a shame to keep Guerin’s and Darden’s hot asses off the field, don’t ya think?”

“Do us a favour and get lost, Porter,” Courtney Banks says and sits down on the opposite of me and the girls.

Mary makes a face and starts to leave. “You’re always so nice, Courtney.”

“Yeah, fuck you,” the new girl at the table mutters and starts to eat her apple.

“Oh my God, what if it was her?” I suddenly ask, alarmed.

“Huh?” Tess looks at me, puzzled.

“The one he slept with.”

“Oh!!!” Tess says, thinking about it.

“Nah, it’s not her,” Courtney shakes her head.

“How do you know?” Liz wants to know.

“I heard her gossiping about Michael and Maria this morning with some of her friends and she said something like: ‘I wish I had been the one in his bed that night.’”

I make a face.

“What about you, Banks?” Tess says, suddenly excited. “We all know there was a time you were all over Guerin’s ass whenever he was around.”

I tense up at Tess’ suggestion. Could that be?

Courtney lays a hand on my arm, which rests on the table. “Hey, girl, I know we’re not best friends or anything and I was pretty pissed when ya got together with him, but I wouldn’t do that to you, ok? I’m over Guerin.”

I nod. “Okay.”

“I bet it’s someone we don’t know. Not from high school at least. Maybe a college girl or whatever,” Courtney suggests.

“We thought about that too,” Tess admits.

“Yeah, I mean seriously. If it had been someone from here, then we would know by now. There is no way any girl would keep it all to herself.”

I rub my hands over my face. “Girls, I think I need a break from all this,” I get to my feet, grabbing my books from the table. “I’ll see you in class.”

“Maria,” Liz calls me. “Stay! We’ll talk about something else.”

I shake my head. “No, it’s ok. I… just need a few minutes alone.”

I’m sitting alone at one of the wooden benches outside the school building, where we use to hang out during the breaks. It’s after 6th period, my teacher called in sick today, so I got the last class off, while Liz and Tess are both in their biology class. I’ve decided to wait for them, since we wanna hang out after school.

“God, I hate this shit,” I mutter to myself, when the math homework becomes all confusing again.

“Let me guess. Math?”

I freeze when someone speaks up to me. I know without looking up that it’s Michael. My heart starts to beat faster immediately and it’s hard to hold the pencil in my now shaking hand. I hate that he can still do something like this to me. Relax! I force myself, before glancing up at him. “Wow, I’ve heard rumours ‘bout your face,” I say surprised, my tone cool – to my own shock. His face looks as bad as Billy’s. Swollen bruised cheek and a small cut on the right side of his bottom lip.

He shrugs and avoids eye contact, his hands buried deep in his pants pockets. All pretty obvious signs that he is uncomfortable and nervous. Poor him, I think sarcastically. “Can we talk for a moment?” he asks hoarsely, still not looking at me.

Suddenly, I realize that I have the upper hand here. Sure, I am nervous and my hands are sweaty, but he already broke my heart, there’s nothing he could do to me anymore. I shrug. “I don’t know, Michael, can you?”

He shifts from one leg to the other, unable to say anything. He probably hadn’t expected this ‘answer’.

I roll my eyes but bite back another comment, knowing that he isn’t a man of a lot of words and he would just let it go and leave instead of dealing with me. “So? Talk away, Michael!” I try to pretend to be uninterested of what he has to say, but of course I am not.

He finally manages to turn his head and our eyes meet. Stay strong! I remind myself. Don’t get lost in his brown eyes.

“Why did you lie to me?” he asks quietly. It makes it hard to even understand what he says.

I frown. “Lie to you? About what?”

He pulls something out of his back pocket and lays it on front of me on the table. I don’t have to look at it to know that it is the acceptance letter from the college. “You told me you weren’t accepted.”

I just shrug. “Why is that important anymore?”

“I just…” he starts but starts to stutter again. “I just wanna know.”

It hadn’t been a lie at this moment. I had been sure I wasn’t gonna be accepted there. He doesn’t know that I had the very tiny small chance to get the acceptance and obviously, it was bugging him. He thinks I told him a real lie on purpose. Good! Let him think what he wants. Shall he think that I lied to him, because I didn’t want to go there with him or something!

“Ya know, I wanna know a lot of things as well, Michael. Who did ya sleep with for example.”

He shakes his head. “Maria, I can’t tell you that.”

I shrug coldly. “Well, sorry then! I can’t tell you why I lied either.”

“But this makes no sense!” he bursts out.

I snort. “Ya know what makes no sense? YOU! Your whole behaviour!” I push myself up and grab the book on the table. “You were the one who wanted to get rid of me! You were the one who pulled away and slept with someone else. Any yet here you are, beaten up by one of your best friends and asking me about something that doesn’t have the slightest bit of a meaning anymore. THAT is what makes no sense, Michael.”

I haven’t even realized that I had started to yell at him. Thank God, nobody is around to listen. I pull my books close against my body as I finally cool down again. “You turned away from me,” I bite my cheek painfully when I can fell my throat tighten – a pretty good sign, that it would only take seconds before tears would start to fall. “You cheated on me. I don’t know what went wrong between us that made you do what ya did. But we are not together anymore, Michael. You don’t have to care about me anymore. You can do whatever you want.” I look at him directly. His face isn’t showing any emotions, which tells me more than he probably knows. He is definitely trying to hide his feelings, whatever they are. “That’s what ya wanted, right?”

He isn’t giving me an answer and I decide that it is better to go before my last bit of strength leaves me. I start to walk away, but stop after several steps and turn around again. He hadn’t moved an inch. “There is one thought that I can’t get out of my head since the day we broke up. Can I ask you one last question and you promise me to answer it honestly?” I shrug. “You kinda owe me this little bit.”

He nods. “Try anyway.”

I take a deep breath. “Did you... at some point during the last month… love me? I mean, did ya have feelings beside the… ya know… sex and all?”

He looks at me stunned, struggling for words. Suddenly there is noise coming from the building. The last lesson is over and students are walking out of the school. I smile sadly, knowing the he wouldn’t answer now. “Well, I guess it’s not important anymore either, huh?”
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 12

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: Well, in the show Billy and Michael were antagonists since they wanted the same woman, lol. Here, they probably know each other for longer than woman became an interest. ;)

The reason for the fight will be revealed in a later update.

The mysterious girl… stays a mystery for now, lol.

Eva: It ill get even more confusing for her this part and it WILL make her think, ;).

quelbebek: Hey girl, :), nice to see one of the few German roswellians here!

Hm…. There MIGHT be some truth between your lines.

mary mary: The truth about the Michael/Billy fight will come out eventually. ;)

Novy: Yes, we could see in the last part, that Michael isn’t able to just go on without her as well. :)

Sundae: Uh-oh, didn’t mean to leave a mess in your brain. LOL, sorry! ;)

M&M did fight in the first chapter, but the girls were more referring to their relationship before this mess started.

Hm, technically, Michael didn’t really call her a bitch. He said he doesn’t want to be with her when she is bitchy like this… so I think it is not as hash as actually calling her a bitch. Anyway, he was a jerk in the first chapter, no denying. :)

It’s true, we have a huge contrast between present Michael and former Michael, but we will come to the point where it will make sense again. ;)

Michael’s got a seeecrettttt! LOL – so true!

The whole can it be called cheating or not thing is very interesting to read for me - the opinions are very different here.

Your speculations about the college thing is good, you might be onto something here. It is definitely a thing that plays a big role in this whole mess.

Lol, now I hope this uppy won’t be another crazy one. It will give some insight into Michael – just a tiny little bitty.

PART 12

“Thanks for helping me with my math homework, girls,” I tell Tess and Liz when we enter my room late on Monday evening. We’d spent the day after school together eating ice cream and going to the movies. “It would take me the whole night to get it done.”

“No problem,” Liz waves me off, “you paid us with ice cream.”

“Make yourself at home,” I tell the girls while I disappear into the closet to get something more comfortable to wear.

“Hey, your cell is blinking,” Tess notices.

“It’s probably just Alex. He keeps sending me messages every day to ask if I’m okay.”

“Awww, that’s sweet,” Liz admits. “I didn’t see him around in school today.”

“He’s got the flu,” I inform her. “Hey, Tess, read it to me. Is it Alex?”

“Uhm… no,” she says slowly.

“Who is it?” I ask while I undress, still standing halfway in the closet.

“It’s from Michael,” Liz finally says, when she leans over to Tess to glance at my cell.

I pull a tee shirt over my head and turn to look at the girls nervously. “What’s is say?”

“I’ll open it up,” Tess stares at the cell as we all wait to hear what she’ll read aloud. She frowns, “What is that supposed to mean?”

“What? What does it say, girl?” I ask again. “You’re killin’ me!”

“I still do,” Liz says, wondering what it could mean.

“I still do?” Tess snorts. “What does he still do? That makes no sense! Did ya write him something before?”

I shake my head, unable to move or to say anything.

“Do you know what he means?” Liz looks at me puzzled. “You look like you know…”

I clear my throat once, … twice, “I think I do.”

“AND?” Tess asks impatiently.

Liz elbows her and rolls her eyes as they wait for an answer from me.

“I talked to him in school today,” I start.

“What? When? Why didn’t ya tell us before?”

I leave my shoulders hanging and walk towards the bed to sit on it. “I don’t know, I guess I wanted to forget about it. I didn’t want to talk about him this afternoon. For once.”

Tess holds the cell in my direction to show me his text message while Liz crawls towards me on the mattress, resting her hand on my shoulder. “What did he want at school? Or were you the one who went to him?”

I shake my head. “Hell, no! He was approaching me when I was waiting for the two of you to get out of biology class. He asked me why I had lied to him about college. He found the acceptance letter.”

“Jerk,” Tess hisses. “What does it matter anymore?”

“I know, right? I asked him the same thing, but he just said that he wants to know it.”

“Did you tell him about it? About the call you had made and your plan to surprise him at his birthday in case a miracle happened and you got accepted against your expectations?”

“No, I asked him again who the bitch is he slept with. He didn’t say so I told him I won’t tell him either then.”

“Go girl!” Tess yells, fisting the air.

I have to laugh a little. “You’re crazy.”

“This is still no explanation for this,” she points on the cell display.

“I asked him if there had been a time when he had loved me. If he had really had feelings for me that were about more than just sex.”

“And this is his answer,” Liz guesses.

I nod sadly. “I think so.”

“Jerk!” Tess says again. “Why didn’t he tell you right when you asked?”

“The bells rang and the students were coming out so it was just bad timing I think.” I snort, shaking my head. “Leave it to Michael to tell me this for the first time after we broke up.”

“He never told you before?” Liz asks, surprised.

“No. Never.”

“Will you reply something?”

“I don’t know. What should I say? And what does this mean? It’s so confusing.”

“You know what, it’s totally simple. Is there any way you could still be with him, knowing that he’s slept with someone else?” Tess asks.

“No, I… I can’t trust him anymore.”

“See. Then stop thinking about it. Delete the message or tell him something like: ‘That’s not my problem anymore.’ This is making your brain all fuzzy. You can’t forgive what he’s done, so there’s no point in wasting any time thinking about him.”

“You know it isn’t that simple,” Liz reminds her.

“Yeah, I know. But it should be, don’t ya think?”

I grab my cell and delete the message. “You’re right. I won’t reply to this and I won’t think about it either! Let’s do math.”

It’s already shortly after midnight when Tess and Liz finally go home. I have done my best to not think about Michael’s text message from earlier tonight. Now that the girls are gone my mind wanders back to it while I lay in my lonely bed, staring out of the window. It’s a clear night, the moon is shining brightly and dipping the dark room in a soft light.

‘I still do’, my brain runs over those three words. Again… and again.

Now I wish I hadn’t asked that question. Wouldn’t it be easier to let go of him if I still believed that he never had any feelings for me? Why the hell did he cheat on me if he still had feelings for me? Why would he betray me like this?

A horrible thought enters my mind. Was it my fault that he had cheated? He had seemed pretty interested in the reason why I had “lied” to him about college. And he had looked mad about it. Thinking back now, I could swear he started to act so weird and pulled away from me the moment I had told him we wouldn’t be able to go to the same college.

- - - - - - - -

F-L-A-S-H-B-A-C-K

Maria uses the key of Michael’s apartment to get inside. She smiles to herself when she hears the shower running in the bathroom. If she wasn’t already dressed to go out to the party at Max’ house, she would consider joining him, but then her hair would be a mess and she would have to do it all over again. She walks over to sit on the large couch, flipping her feet up to the coffee table, as she waits from him to get out of the bathroom.

It only takes a few minutes before the door is opened and Michael walks out in the living room, only wearing a pair of blue washed jeans. He looks at her in surprise. “Ya already here?”

“Um… as you can see…” she replies, getting up from the couch again and walking over to him. “Didn’t want to miss the chance to see you like this,” she teases, letting her left hand wander over his bare chest.

He chuckles and uses his hand to tip her head up. “You’ve seen me like this a lotta times before.”

“And still I can’t get enough of it.”

Widening his stance, he leans down to take her mouth in a short but intense kiss. “Same here,” he admits quietly and brushes the strap of her top aside to kiss her bare shoulder.

“Actually... I came here a little earlier than expected because I wanted to talk to you about something.” She doesn’t want to ruin the mood and it was tempting to just give in, but she has something in her head and she needs to get it out.

He stops his movement and leans back to look at her sceptically. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah…. I mean, there’s something ya need to know.”

Michael nods. “Alright, get it out then.” He looks at her questioningly.

“Okay,” she takes a breath and tries to hold his gaze. “It seems like we won’t be able to go to the same college after high school.”

He frowns and drops his hands from her. “No?”

She shakes her head. “They told me that I hadn’t been accepted.” Well, they told her she was neither accepted nor denied. She was on the damn waiting list. But why keep their hope up? Chances weren’t that great anyway.

He starts to pace around the room, mumbling something to himself. She watches him for several minutes, but he still seems to be lost in thoughts.

“This doesn’t have to mean we won’t see each other all year, right? I mean, I still applied to several other colleges that aren’t too far away from you.” She frowns when he doesn’t say anything. “Michael?”

“Huh?” He glances up at her.

“Right?”

Focus, Guerin! He runs his hand through his hair and heads for his bedroom. “Yeah, yeah. You’re right.”

That doesn’t sound too convincing, Maria thinks and follows him, watching him as he puts on one of his tee shirts. “Hey,” she tries and touches his shoulder. “We’ll find a way…”

“Sure,” he tells her and gives her a quick kiss. “We can figure it out later, let’s go to Max’s place.”

Maria looks at him intensely, knowing that he’s hiding his real feelings about it from her. “Okay, we can talk about it later.”
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 13

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: Why is he doin’ it? Hm,… because he is Michael, lol. He’s not good with spoken words, but yeah… even he knows that he has to talk sooner or later. ;)

mary mary: Lol, poor Michael, he’s out now. Let’s see if he can make up for it.

Novy: U-hm… ya might be onto something again, lol.

Yeah well, Michael is not a man of spoken words, lol.

PART 13

P-R-E-S-E-N-T

We never talked about it again but from that moment on his behaviour had been weird and he had looked for reason after reason to avoid me or stay with just the guys. He had turned away from me and I hadn’t even noticed that it was probably that evening that had been when it all started.

What if he only slept with someone else because he had thought we had no future anyway? Is it my fault that we’re where we are right now? The thought refuses to leave my mind and I am scared that this could be the truth.

“My feet hurt,” I complain when I walk back to the counter at the Crashdown for what feels like for the thousandth time today.

“We’re almost done,” Liz encourages me as she glances at her watch.

“Why the hell can’t he just leave now?” I hiss. Michael had walked into the café almost an hour ago with Max, Kyle and Niel. They’re still sitting in their usual booth. I look over my shoulder and shiver when I notice Michael’s intense look. “And why is he staring at me all the time? God!”

Liz frowns. “I don’t know. This is all really weird and I’ve tried to get something outta Max but he told me that he doesn’t know anything. Michael isn’t talking about it.”

“Did ya reply to his text message?” Tess suddenly appears next to us.

I look at her, surprised. “Where’d you come from?”

“Through the door, goofy. So… did ya?”

I shake my head. “No, I told ya I wouldn’t and I didn’t.”

“Good,” she says thoughtfully. “Don’t make it too easy for him.”

“Don’t make it…” I stutter, puzzled.

“He obviously wants you back,” the curly blonde says, determined.

“I think she’s right,” Liz thinks loudly.

“Yeah,” Tess continues, “I mean, he writes you sweet text messages, he comes to talk to you at school, he stalks you at work...”

“Stop you two! What’re you talking about?” I glance between them questioningly. “Don’t make it too easy for him? Are you suggesting I should give him another chance? Presuming you’re right and he really wants me back.”

Tess and Liz look at each other unsure. “Well, probably not,” the brunette answers first. “I mean, he still cheated on you. How are you supposed to trust him again?”

“True,” Tess agrees. “I mean, you two were cute together and all, but this is probably something you can’t forget, no matter how much time passes. There will always be something between you and him.”

“I don’t want him back after this,” I say determinedly. Does my heart break for him every day? Yes. Do I miss him? Yes. Does every cell in my body yearn for him? Hell, yes! But can I forget what he did to me when I look at him? No! And this is the point! I look at him and all I can think is how he slept with someone else and my brain starts to come up with the worst scenarios about how it happened. “

“Hey, can I get my coffee now?” a customer at the end of the counter grumbles loudly.

I roll my eyes. “This jerk is getting on my nerves. The last coffee was too cold, his fries were too greasy and his burger too well done. I am really curious what it will be now.” I take the coffee pot from Liz.

“I guess I will go and say hi to my boyfriend,” Tess says and starts to walk off to Kyle.

“Your boyfriend is already here,” he growls in her ear from behind.

The boys are all at the counter now, ready to pay and leave. My eyes meet Michael’s briefly, before I walk off quickly to serve the coffee. “Here you go,” I mumble as I pour the hot liquid into the man’s cup and leave to the next customer to refill his mug as well.

“Ouch! This one is fuckin’ hot.” ‘Mr. Whiner’ complains again. He isn’t from around town and I’ve never seen him before. “Is it too much to ask to get a normal coffee today? One that isn’t either cold or boiling hot?”

“Look, just let it cool down a few minutes, okay? It’s freshly brewed and this of course means it it’s hot.” I try to control the urge to roll my eyes at this guy.

“Does your boss know how you talk to your customers?” he continues.

“God, this guy has no manners,” a woman next to me tells her friend.

I try to ignore him, knowing that there is nothing I can say that would make the guy happy anyway. People like that are just born to complain and whine about everything that happens and the best thing was to let them ramble as much as they want.

“Hey, I’m talking to you, waitress,” he barks after me when I try to serve some other customers.

“But she’s not talking to you,” someone tells him firmly.

“And who asked you?” the guy says as he turns around and comes face to face with Michael. Though he is a lot older than my ex boyfriend, he seem to swallow hard. Well, no wonder, Michael is at least a foot taller than him and also a lot stronger. His face, still hurt from the fight with Billy makes him look even more like a bad boy than he actually is.

“I don’t wait to be asked,” Michael answers coolly. “You’re gonna behave around the waitresses around here or I’ll happily show you to the door.”

“This place sucks,” the other man says and drops down from the barstool to move in the direction of the door.

“Hey!” Michael barks after him and starts to walk towards him. “How about you pay for your meal?”

I place my hands against his chest to stop him when he follows the jerk. He stops in his pace and glances down at where I am touching him. I let my hand lower slowly and shake my head. “Just let him go, Michael. One fight is enough for one week, don’t ya think?” I back away again when his close presence starts to affect me again.

I ignore the looks my two best friends are giving me when I come back behind the counter to refill the coffee pot while the guys finally leave the Crashdown. I pretend to not see them for like two minutes before I sigh. “Okay, what?”

Tess turns to look at Liz. “Did someone turn the heat on in here or what?”

Liz snorts amused. “Whew, yeah,” she fans air to her face with her notepad.

“You two are crazy,” I shake my head.

“Ah, come on, Maria,” Tess says. “Everybody was aware of the Guerin - DeLuca vibes in here.”

“What a day,” Liz says when she locks the double doors of the Crashdown at almost 10 pm on this Tuesday night.

“Yeah, it was okay except for the visit of a certain person.”

Liz smiles slightly. “At least you’re not the only one who seems to suffer after your break up.”

I snort. “I wish I could tell you that this makes me feel any better, but nope, not really. It’s all his fault, so he deserves to feel bad about it.”

“Let’s get the clean-up done quickly so we can finally call it a night.”

I laugh. “Your hurry wouldn’t happen to be because of a certain Max Evans already waiting for ya in the back room?”

“He is?” she asks me, surprised.

“Just heard someone sneaking in and who would it be other than him, huh? Get the hell outta here, girl. I’ll take care of the café.”

“Oh, no, Maria, I’m not leavin’ ya alone with the clean-up. We can do it much faster together.”

“Liz, your parents are gone, ya wanna get dirty with Max… go and have fun, okay? It’s bad enough that one of us has no relationship right now, no need to torture the other one.”

She giggles and comes over to hug me. “You’re the best.”

“Yeah, remember that,” I tell her when she leaves to go to her boyfriend. I can’t say that I’m not envious in this moment, but I know that I can’t make my friends feel bad about enjoying time with their boys just because I don’t have anyone anymore. Besides that, the clean-up will give me something to concentrate on before I go back to my bed and cry about my misery again.

I walk around the café to raise the chairs onto the tables so I can sweep up later. As soon as this is done, I start to clean the coffee machine. “Ungh,” I make a face when the grounds are spilled around it on the counter. Great! This was probably an achievement courtesy of Agnes. She always spilled the coffee powder everywhere.

Movement catches the corner of my eyes and I glance up to stare out into the dark, but I can’t see anything since the lights are reflecting in the large windows and all I can see is myself standing behind the counter. I shake my head and concentrate on the machine again, but it doesn’t take long before I feel the sensation of being watched again. “Ridiculous,” I mutter to myself and lift my head again, freezing in place when I recognize Michael at the front door. The outside lights shine over him and it allows me to be able to see him through the closed doors. He looks at me intensely, asking me with his eyes to let him in.

I know I shouldn’t, but I seem to love to torture myself since my feet are already starting to walk up towards the double doors. Hell, what am I doin’? Where would it get me if I let him in now? There’s nothing he could say to make anything better in any possible way. My left hand comes up to open the lock of the door while our eyes seem to melt into each other. This feels a lot like a night last November…
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 14

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: LOL, yeah ya feeling might be bright. Michael STARTS to talk today

keepsmiling7: Well, depends… lol.

Sundae: Lol, well you will get a flashback first… Maybe not as good, but it is something.

No kiss and run! Promised!

In times like that, ya come up with a lot of weird explanations of why things had gone wrong… Maria maybe have some doubts, since Michael didn’t gave her anything to wrok with… YET!

I am trying to start to fix this whole mess… and I am starting with this part. :)

Hm, did Maria ever tell him? I didn’t mention it and it won’t be mentioned, but Maria wears her heart on her tongue, so I bet she did. ;)

Eva: Ya don’t have to wonder about this much longer. ;) It’s true, Michael thinks in different ways than most of us would, lol.

Novy: The memory will definitely be good. ;)

And about the talking… we might get a start today.

mary mary: :lol: Ya never know…

PART 14

F -L-A-S-H-B-A-C-K

Maria pulls the double doors of the Crashdown open, smiling when her boyfriend steps inside, his gaze lingering on her lips for several long moments. “Hey beautiful,” he says softly.

“What’re you doin’ here?” she asks, smiling. “Thought you wanted to hang out with the boys tonight.”

He forces his eyes to focus on her face and nothing else. “Just got back from Niel’s.” He glances at the big clock behind the counter. “You’re workin’ too long.”

Sighing deeply, she leans in to breathe a kiss against his lips. “Tell me about it. There were a couple of tourists who refused to leave until 20 minutes ago. I promised Liz I’d take care of cleaning up after closing, since she has a date with Max and I thought we wouldn’t be spending time together anyway.”

He groans, frustrated. “I was definitely planning something different for you… us tonight.”

Maria grins as she walks up to the counter to continue refilling the sugar glasses. “Uh-huh. Tell me more.”

“Ah, I don’t know, it would only frustrate you to hear it,” he tells her playfully as his gaze wanders over her shorts and bare legs. It is definitely hotter than normal for November. “It’s probably not a good idea to wear those since everyone can see you from the street,” he growls into her ear, standing directly behind her.

She shivers when his left hand comes up to brush against the edges of her jean shorts. “It’s probably even worse to touch me like this when I still have to clean up the café.” It is still amazing to feel his hands on her. She thought she’d be used to it by now, after spending the last weeks and months with him, but nope, it still feels like it had in the very beginning.

He chuckles. “Sorry, but you’re way to sexy to resist, Maria.”

“I’m sorry to tell ya that I’m gonna be busy for at least another hour,” she tells him as she leans forward to get another glass of sugar.

With one quick move, he turns her around and lifts her up to sit on the counter right in front of him. She yelps in surprise, holding onto his shoulders. Michael smirks at her when he takes another step forward and spreads her legs slightly to stand in between them. “I think a short break will be okay though,” he tells her cheekily and rests his hands on each side of her on the counter. His eyes start to wander over her again, following a small droplet of sweat running down her cleavage until it gets soaked up by her tight black tank top. Damn, how lucky is he to call her his girlfriend?

“Yeah, I guess a short break would be okay,” she mumbles as his close presence and his heated gaze clouds her mind.

He leans forward to brace his weight on his arms and nudges her nose with his playfully. “Ya gotta be at home tonight?”

Maria shakes her head slightly, her eyes lingering on his soft lips right in front of her. “My mom’s outta town until tomorrow evening.”

“Ya shouldn’t sleep alone then,” he presses feather-light kisses against her mouth, amused by her frustrated groans because he isn’t deepening the kiss yet.

“Michael,” she complains, “why’re ya teasing me like this?”

“Because it’s so much fun,” he winks at her and finally moves in closer. His arms come around her, pulling her closer against him as his mouth presses against hers more firmly now. He knows that he doesn’t have to wait long before her lips start to part, giving him silent permission to let his tongue caress hers.

She groans, her hands pulling on his tee shirt to hold him close as she moves her lower body against him restlessly.

“So impatient?” he asks, amused as he interrupts the kiss to catch his breath.

“So aroused?” she counters playfully, letting her hand wander between them to brush against the hard bulge in his jeans.

- - - - - -

P-R-E-S-E-N-T

“Awaking memories?” he asks. There is almost a little smile on his lips when he looks at me from across the counter where he’s sitting now on one of the barstools while I am busy with cleaning up some glasses.

Damn it, he must have noticed my dreamy gaze. “No,” I lie coldly, not admitting that I have just thought about our only make out in this café back in November.

He nods, absentmindedly. “Ya know…” he clears his throat twice before speaking again, “that night,” Michael shrugs, “I felt pretty sure that things would work out between us in the future.”

I stop polishing the glasses and look at him. “Well, seems like they didn’t.”

“No, they did,” he tells me quickly. “At least for a while. We… we had some good months together, didn’t we?” He looks at me questioningly and for some reason, it really seems that he expects an answer from me. What the hell does he want? Isn’t it enough that he cheated on me? Now he wants to remind me of our good times?

I sigh. “Yeah, sure, until you obviously lost the feeling that things would work out between us,” I say and the last bit comes out angrily.

He nods thankfully when I place a Cherry Coke in front of him unasked. “So, are ya gonna tell me when ya decided to put an end to our relationship? Cause ya know, I’m really curious about that,” I ask him when he stays silent, trying to sound less sarcastic than it turns out in the end.

He runs his hand through his hair. “The day you told me that you weren’t goin’ to college with me, okay?” he snaps back.

And there it was, the reason I had feared! Did he really just do what he did because of my mistake telling him I wouldn’t be able to come with him, even if I didn’t knew for 100 % at the time? “You’re gonna have to explain this to me, Michael. Because having sex with someone else instead of talking to me about it was just low.”

“Why did you lie to me about college, Maria?” he asks instead of answering my question, looking at me directly. “Why did ya tell me you weren’t gonna be able to come with me to college when you didn’t even know at the time?” He gets up and leans across the counter, bracing his hands on it. “Was this some plan to get rid of me by the end of the year in high school?”

I look at him, puzzled. “W-what?”

“Did ya want payback when I told you that I slept with someone else so ya put the letter in with my stuff?”

“What the hell are you talking about, Michael?” I yell at him, sticking my finger into his chest. “That is all bullshit! Don’t try to blame me for ruining our relationship, because the credit goes all to you, pal!”

I can see him swallowing to get some control back. “Why did you lie to me, Maria?”

I sigh, unable to hold it in. ‘I’ll tell you when you tell me’ game up. I didn’t lie, Michael. At least not intentionally.”

He sits down on the barstool again, taking a sip of his coke. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Look, the day I told you I wouldn’t be able to come to college with you I actually believed it was true, so this can’t count as a lie by definition. I had talked to this man from college on the phone, trying to get some information out of him about my application. He told me that the acceptance letters had already been sent the week before and if I hadn’t gotten either a positive nor a negative answer yet, that it would mean I was on kind of a waiting list.” I check Michael’s face, but he’s hiding any emotion from me again. “He told me that chances were very, very small that I’d still get accepted because I would just be able to go there if a few other people turned down their acceptance. And normally that doesn’t happen very often.”

“But there was still a chance.”

“A small one, Michael. And I didn’t want you or me to keep up any hope for this. I thought if we already started to think about a different way, where we weren’t in the same college, then it would be easier by the end of the year.”

“Easier to break up?”

“Easier to get used to the thought, that we wouldn’t see a lot of each other during the year. I thought if the impossible happened and I got the acceptance, then it would be a good birthday surprise for you. Did I want payback when I putted the letter in your stuff? Hell, yes! I was – I am angry at you for what you’ve done and yes, I wanted you to suffer when you read the letter. I wanted you to see that we would’ve been able to go to the same college, if ya hadn’t fucked it up.”

He winces at my words and rests his head in both of his hands. “I’m totally screwed up,” he mumbles to himself.

“You’re totally right about that,” I tell him coldly and wipe away a tear. “Now it’s your turn to lay out the truth, Michael. Who was the woman ya slept with?”

Silence.

“Come on,” I yell at him, “you owe me that much, Michael. I deserve to know the truth. Who was she? Why’d ya do this instead of talking to me about what was going on in your mind? You said you lost your faith in us when I told you we weren’t gonna be able to go to the same college, but why the hell did ya sleep with someone else?” I start to wipe the counter furiously as he stays quiet for another minute. I’m about to tell him to get his ass outta here when he finally speaks up.

“I didn’t,” he says quietly, his eyes locked on his hands on the counter.

It takes a few moments before my brain registers what he said. “You didn’t? You didn’t what exactly?”

He slowly lifts his head to meet my eyes. His features are soft as he speaks again. “I didn’t sleep with anyone after you.”
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 15

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: What Michael did was wrong, no doubt. But it wasn’t an “I hurt you, so you hurt me game.” He will explain what was on his mind…

We will see how Maria reacts to this now.

Novy: He will explain his way of thinking. Don’t expect it to make much sense, since we talk about Michael here, lol.

He knows he made a big mistake, but in his own weird way, he thought it was the best.

Sundae: You will get something deeper this update, he will at least try to explain what was going on in his head and why he did what he did.

It is only natural that you are blaming yourself when a relationship went wrong, but she will see the truth eventually.

PART 15

My mouth opens and closes several times. Did he just say that he didn’t cheat on me? In the first moment when realization hits me, happiness floods my veins. He didn’t. He didn’t. He didn’t. But only seconds later, my sanity is back, telling me that he has to be lying. “Don’t you dare lie to me now, Guerin!” I shout at him.

He frowns at me, obviously surprised that I don’t believe him. “It’s true, Maria. I didn’t sleep with anyone else.”

I shake my head wildly. “I don’t believe you! Why would you have lied to me about this? That makes no sense, Michael. It’s crazy!”

He gets up from his stool again and starts to walk around the counter, coming closer to me with every passing second. “What do you want?” I ask. “Don’t do this, Michael,” I plead.

He stops right in front of me. “I’m telling you the truth, Maria.”

I try to think rationally, but it’s hard when he is that close. My brain keeps telling me that I should put more distance between us, but my heart is longing for him. I take a deep breath. “Let’s pretend I believe you,” I start and see the small smile on his face. “Which I don’t!” I make certain quickly that he knows this. “But IF you are telling the truth, what is your explanation for bringing this lie up in the first place? Why would you tell me something that you know would make me hate you?”

“I was… I was trying to protect us from an even worse ending.” He winces as soon as the words are out. “Okay,” he presses a finger against my lips, when I start to protest. “That came out wrong.” He shakes his head. “Look, Maria. The moment you told me that ya weren’t coming with me to college after this year… I knew this was the beginning of the end of our relationship.”

I frown, leaning back against the counter to put a few more inches between us. “Why? Don’t ya think we would’ve found a different way?”

He shakes his head. “Come on, Maria. A long distance relationship? How long ya think that would’ve worked out?”

I shrug. “Who knows?”

“I do,” he says determinedly, “that’s not us, Maria. We would have spent the days with new people, at different places. It would have been just a matter of time until each of us would have found someone new. Don’t deny this, you know it’s true. It would’ve been normal. We would’ve seen each other during the holidays, probably lying to each other about how boring it was at the other college, while the truth would’ve been different.”

I can’t deny that possibilities are very high that this really could have happened. Come on, it happens to high school couples all the time when they go to college. “But if ya didn’t want a long distance relationship, why didn’t ya just tell me that?”

He takes another step forward, resting his hands on the counter on each side of me, which makes it impossible for me to escape. “Because you would’ve talked me into at least trying it. You wouldn’t have just let me walk away with this.”

Well, he is totally right about this one.

He nods knowingly when he finds the agreement in my eyes. “I came up with this lie because I knew it would make you hate me and… and I thought it would be easier for us to let go of each other this way. I didn’t want to live the last weeks here in Roswell, pretending everything was great, when I knew that we were doomed to fail anyway sooner or later.”

“So ya decided to rip my heart into pieces instead,” I whisper, biting my bottom lip to keep myself from crying.

I can see him swallowing hard. His right hand comes up to brush a single tear from my cheek with his thumb. “I’m sorry, Maria,” he whispers.

“You need to go now,” I tell him firmly. The temptation to just give into his touch is undeniable right now, but I am too confused and hurt to think straight and I don’t wanna give in while my mind is in this state and then regret it afterwards.

“Okay,” he says quietly and his eyes tell me that he doesn’t want to, but he respects my wish. He leans forward and presses his lips against my forehead. “Lock up behind me.”

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Tess asks as I open the door for her. It is already 11pm, but I have to talk to someone about Michael’s visit and my Mom had already been in bed when I got home from the Crashdown. I look at Liz, puzzled when she suddenly appears in the doorframe as well.

“What’re ya doin’ here?”

“Tess called me and said she got an emergency call from you, so here I am.”

I look at the curly blonde and shake my head. “I told ya to not ruin her date with Max.”

“She didn’t,” Liz assures me. “Come on, we’re friends, so of course I’m coming too if there’s a problem. So why are we here?”

“Let’s go to my room first, okay? I don’t wanna wake up my Mom.” We wander around the house until we reach my room. I close the door behind me and join the girls, who are already sprawled out on my bed.

“So what did he do this time?” Tess blurts out.

“Tess,” Liz hisses, “you’re such a klutz.”

“What?” The other girl says innocently. “We all know that we are here because of Guerin, so what’s wrong with the question?”

“Nothin’s wrong,” I assure her to keep the two from falling into their typical bickering mood. Sometimes I wonder how we turned out to be such good friends. We are obviously all pretty different and yet we work great as a team. “He came to the Crashdown after closing time,” I turn to look at Liz, “shortly after ya went on your date with Max and really girl, you should have stayed with him instead of listening to my fucked up relationship stuff.”

Liz shakes her head. “I really don’t mind, okay? So, he came to the café, what then?”

“We talked. He told me how sure he had been that our relationship would work out in the future.”

Tess snorts. “Yeah, we saw how well that went.”

“Shut up,” Liz shoves her on her shoulder, but ruins it with a grin.

I stare at my hands. “He said he lost this faith in us when I told him I wouldn’t be able to come with him to California.”

“Hey,” Tess reaches out to touch my shoulder, “don’t dare blame yourself for this, okay? It is NOT your fault.”

“She’s right,” Liz agrees and pushes herself up from the bed to sit right next to me. “You did what ya though was right at the time and that was definitely no reason to cheat on you. He’s the one who did the totally no-no in a relationship.”

“It seems like he didn’t,” I mumble, testing the words out. Is it true?

“Huh? What do ya mean he didn’t?” Tess asks, getting up from the bed to sit in the chair in front of my desk, feet propped up on the mattress, to face me.

“He didn’t cheat,” I frown, “that means, I don’t know if he did.”

Liz looks at me, puzzled. “Okay, girl, let’s start from the beginning again. He came to the Crashdown, he told you that the moment you told him about the college thing, he doubted your relationship, what then?”

“He asked me why I lied about the acceptance and I told him that it wasn’t a lie at that point, that I truly believed I wasn’t going.”

“What then? Did he feel bad about it? Did ya guilt-trip him with that one?” Tess wants to know.

I shrug. “I think so. At least he looked pretty uncomfortable about it.”

“Okay, what then?” Tess asks impatiently. “When do we come to the part where he pretended he didn’t cheat?”

“You are so impatient,” Liz complains. “Take your time, Maria. Tess won’t explode.”

“Shut up, Parker.”

I laugh slightly at my friends. “You two are outrageous.”

Tess grins. “That’s why ya love us so much.”

“Back to the talk with Michael, now,” Liz says.

“Uh-huh, who is impatient now?” the blonde teases.

“Alright, I asked him who the woman was that he cheated with. I told him that I at least deserve the truth about everything…” I glance at my friends, “and that’s when he suddenly told me that he didn’t sleep with anyone.”

Tess snorts. “Do ya believe him? I sure as hell hope not!”

“I don’t know what to think here,” I admit.

Liz chews on her bottom lip for several minutes, seeming to be lost in thought. “What was his explanation for coming up with this lie then?”

“He said that he didn’t believe we could survive a long distance relationship and he didn’t want to spend the last weeks here together, pretending everything would be fine, when he knew we would end up separated anyway.”

“Do you think ya two would have gotten along with the long distance thing?”

I shake my head slightly. “Probably not. We’re both not really the types who sit around and miss the other all year, feeling depressed and all…”

“So his fears where kinda reasonable,” Liz stated.

“But why didn’t he tell her the truth instead of breaking up?” Tess opposes. “Why would he come up with this bullshit lie about another woman?”

“He said he knew I wouldn’t have let him just go like that with the real reason. So he came up with something that he knew I would hate him afterwards and wouldn’t try to get him back.” I glance at both of them. “I don’t know if I can trust him. You think he’s telling the truth?”

“Nobody knows Michael as good as you, Maria,” Liz says. “What ya think is true?”

I make a face. “Well, it sounds weird, but in a Michael way of thinking…. It could be true. I can see him doin’ something totally stupid because he thinks it is the best in the end.”

“And neither Kyle nor Max saw him with any other woman. They even told us that Michael was with them at the boys night alone that said day,” Tess starts to wonder as well.

Liz nods. “Plus it makes sense now that he tells you the truth after he knows ya didn’t lie to him about the college and that you really intended to go with him.”

“So you two think he really didn’t cheat?”

Tess leans back in her chair, thinking. “Well, there were no rumors about any woman he could have slept with, which is totally NOT normal in a small town like Roswell.”

“And our boyfriends and classmates didn’t know anything about another woman Michael had been with,” Liz adds.

“And he obviously is still totally into you,” Tess continues.

My best friends glance at each other, then nod. “He probably didn’t cheat, girl!”
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 16

Post by candysteffi »

Eva: Yeah, it will take a while to win her trust back. But if they are both willing to work on their relationship, then they can make it.

Ellie: Maria needs some time to think about it, of course.

Michael knows what he did was more than wrong, but it happened and now he’s on the “waiting list”.

Novy: This was an emotional roller coaster for both of them. Michael knows he made a BIG mistake, but he’s still young and he’s Michael… ;)

Let’s see what Maria will do…

mary mary: Thanks! They are still young and you make mistakes in that age (well you always make them no matter which age, but teenage mistakes are worse, lol).

It will take time to win her trust back and I think he always will feel bad and ashamed of what he had put her through.

A/N: I am going into hiding over Christmas, since I am hanging out with my family. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you and I will be back the Sunday after next.

PART 16

Harry leans over the hood of the car his son and him are working on in their free time. He sighs, frustrated, when he can’t pinpoint the reason why the car won’t start. Movement catches the corner of his eye when his son walks out of the main house towards his apartment on this sunny afternoon. “Hey, Michael?”

“What’s up Dad?” He stops in his tracks and turns to walk towards his father.

“Can you please try to start the engine again?”

“Sure,” he places the bottle of water he was carrying with him on the ground and opens the door to slide into the driver’s seat, turning the key.

The car stays silent. “Damn it,” Harry mutters, “something is still wrong.”

Michael climbs out of the car again and joins the older man under the hood. “Did ya change out the spark plugs yet?”

“Oh, right, I totally forgot about that,” Harry says and hurries into the garage to get the ones they had bought last week. “So, tonight’s your party at the Crashdown, huh?” he asks as he bends over under the hood again.

“Yeah, seems like…” Michael says lamely and it actually comes out even more excited than he is.

“Finally turning 18 at midnight, huh? I remember how excited I was about that at your age.”

Michael shrugs. “’s just another birthday, Dad. Nothin’ is really gonna change.”

Harry knew where his son’s depressed mood was coming from, but Michael is stubborn and of course would never admit it. Just like him at that age. “Do us a favour and don’t drink too much, will ya? You know that your whole family will be here tomorrow and ya don’t wanna face them with a hangover.”

Getting drunk as hell would probably help him to get through the party tonight, Michael thinks. But well, his father is probably right. Dealing with the whole family at once is bad enough, dealing with them while suffering from a major hangover would really suck. “Keep it in mind,” he says shortly. “Need my help any longer?”

Harry sighs. He knows better than to push his son into something he isn’t in the mood for dealing with. “Nah, I can take it from here.”

“Later,” Michael mumbles and starts to walk to the front door of his own little apartment.

The older man straightens up and glances after his son, shaking his head slightly.

“He probably only spoke only three sentences to me the last few days,” Darcy says as she comes up next to her husband after she had finished hanging out the laundry in the garden. She leans in to kiss his cheek. “You didn’t get him to help ya with the car, huh?”

“No. And you should have heard his excitement about his party tonight. It was… overwhelming.”

Darcy sighs. “I really wonder what happened, Harry. He’s totally acting out of character lately.” Normally her son was always full of life, with a big mouth and a smug grin on his face, but lately he was just hiding in his apartment, barely saying a word when they ate together.

“We have to stay outta this, darlin’. It’s either they get it together again or they don’t.”

“I don’t know, Harry. The day Maria was here…. It seemed to me like our son did something really stupid.”

Harry chuckles. “Do ya wonder about that? He is our son! How often did we fight at their age?” They had been together since high school and neither of them regretted their decision, even if a lot of people had told them high school relationships don’t last forever. They were the proof they could. “They’ll figure it out, darlin’.”

“I’ll go talk to him, though,” she decides and starts to follow her son to his apartment.

Michael is lying on his couch, facing the ceiling as he keeps throwing a small ball in the air and catching it again. The TV is turned on, but he isn’t really paying any attention to it.

A soft knock on the door makes him almost roll his eyes. He knows that it’s his mother and he isn’t in the mood for talking, but he wouldn’t just let her stand out there. “Come in.”

Darcy opens the door slowly and steps into his apartment. She shakes her head slightly at the constantly growing mess in here since Maria’s been gone. “Hey, I wanted to ask you if we need to prepare anything for your party tonight. You know, any food or drinks or whatever.”

He’s well aware that this is just an excuse for her to talk to him, but he decides to play along. “Nah, Liz said the Crashdown will take care of all the food and drinks. All I have to do is get there a little bit early to help with some things.”

She nods. “That’s very nice of Liz,” she sits down on the armchair next to him. “Will Maria be there too?”

His heart clinches as the memory of her. Would she be there? Probably not. She hadn’t talked to him all week after he had told her the truth in the Crashdown. “Guess not,” he tells his mother, still hoping she would show up though.

Darcy sighs. “What happened between you two, Michael? You’re both obviously feeling bad about it.”

“Mom,” he complains. “Please, I already told you that I don’t wanna talk about it.”

She nods sadly. “Okay. I just…” she shakes her head, “whatever it is Michael, no problem is so big that you can’t talk with her about it. Your father and I, we had a lot of moments in our young relationship where a break up seemed to be easier than working through the problem, but as you see, sometimes it’s worth fighting for something.” She gets up from her chair again. “A relationship isn’t always easy and uncomplicated, but there are crises which make it stronger.”

Michael glances after his Mom as she leaves his apartment again. He had tried to talk to her, she knew the truth, what else should he do? He made it clear he wanted her back, didn’t he? Well, admittedly, he hasn’t said it in so many words, but… she’s clever…. She would know, right?

I glance at my watch. 9pm, great. There probably isn’t a single one of my classmates who isn’t at Michael’s stupid birthday party right now. The girls had tried all day to talk me into going as well, but I don’t know what to do. I’m still mad at him for the big fat lie he told me and I’m also not quite sure where we’re going from here. Did he say he wants me back? No! Did he say he wants a second chance? No!

I snort loudly as my thoughts run through my mind. He probably expects me to just know what’s going on in his head since I know how hard it is for him to talk about feelings and stuff. If he had at least asked me to come to the party…

Your own fault, Deluca, my mind taunts me, you avoided him all week, giving him practically no chance to talk to you.

“Maria, why don’t you just pull on something nice and GO?” my mother asks me when I walk through the house restlessly.

“And where are you going?” I ask when she appears at the front door with a nice dress.

“I’m going out.”

“Uh-huh, with who?”

“Jim…”

I make a face. “Jim Valenti?”

“Well…”

“Ungh mom, he’s Kyle’s dad!”

“And? He’s one of the very few single men in Roswell.”

“Fine,” I groan. “Have fun.”

“You should go too, Maria. It’s not too late and I bet he wants you to be there.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Uh-huh, just leave me a message in case ya stay somewhere else overnight, will ya?” She winks at me.

I roll my eyes. “Not gonna happen, Mom. Not for you either. Bye bye.” I’m walking up to the front door to look out when my Mom leaves with the car. Suddenly there’s another car that pulls into the driveway.

“Hey, Maria!” Isabel greets me excitedly when she climbs out of the car, running towards me and hugging me tightly before she places her hands on my shoulders and glances down at me. “Why do ya look like this, girl? Come on, get ready for the party.”

Isabel Guerin is Michael’s older sister, who is already in college and barely finds the time to come home. “Izzy…” I stutter, “what’re ya doin’ here? Didn’t ya say you weren’t gonna make it to the birthday party?”

“Surprise,” she shouts, delighted. “So, when will ya get finally ready to the party?”

“Um? Have ya been home yet?”

“Well, yes, but my brother was already gone and my parents are out like almost every Saturday night, so there wasn’t anyone there. I was on my way to the Crashdown when I saw you at the door.”

Shit! She probably doesn’t even know about the whole drama. “Um, Iz…”

The other blonde frowns. “Maria? Is something wrong?” She looks at me directly. “There is something wrong, right? Did ya have a fight with my brother?”

I shrug, glancing at the ground. “Fight probably isn’t the right word for it.”

“So what is the right word?”

“Um, break-up?”

“WHAT?” she shrieks, making my ears hurt. “Alright, sit down,” she pushes me to the couch behind us, sitting down beside me. “Okay, what exactly happened, Maria?”

I take a deep breath before telling her as shortly as possible what had happened the last few days. “So here we are…” I finish sadly.

“You don’t think he cheated anymore, right?”

“No, I guess he told me the truth.”

Isabel nods. “My brother would never cheat on you, Maria. And he obviously wants ya back. I mean, come on, he’s Michael. He won’t tell you in so many words, but…”

“Don’t, Iz, okay? This is all confusing enough and Liz and Tess already talked my ears off too. It’s just…” I shrug, whipping away a tear, “how could he do this to me, ya know?” I ask with a shaky voice. “He knew it would break my heart, he knew it!”

“I’m so kicking his ass for this,” she tells me determinedly, hugging an arm around me. “Though, I still think you should come with me, girl. I mean, ya love him!”

I laugh slightly at her matter of fact tone and sniff. “Sure, but I don’t know if that’s enough anymore, Iz. He’s gonna have to talk to me about what’s going on in his mind. I mean, I know he’s not the ‘I’m gonna talk about my feelings’ guy and I’ve always respect that, but at some point he’s gonna have to talk… or see where it gets him when he acts instead of talks. I don’t wanna live through another hell like I did last week.”

“Then tell him that, Maria. Talk to him and just say to him what you just said to me right now, but I’m beggin’ you to try. Come on, if you two really break up, then I’ll lose all faith I have left in a good functional relationship.”

I snort. “Seriously? You compare me an’ Michael with a good functional relationship?”

She nods. “Of course, come on. You never seriously fight, just about small things. You guys never gave up yourselves, you still met all your friends, ya still did what ya did before you were together, ya enjoy each other and have a good time at parties together. Ya just accept each other the way you are. You accept his lack of words to express his feelings and his fondness for football and hockey. And in exchange for that he accepts your hanging out time with the girls, he let’s you put candles in his apartment, he even accepts your addiction to One Tree Hill. Besides my family loves you and I know Amy loves Michael. Do ya see where I’m coming from? It just fits between you, Maria. In my opinion your relationship with Michael was always the closest thing to perfection.”

I wouldn’t describe our relationship as perfection, not even nearly perfection, but she definitely pointed out some true things, which are making me think about it. My thoughts get interrupted when my cell on the coffee table in front of us starts o buzz. I roll my eyes. “Wanna bet on Tess or Liz? They keep writing me texts since the party started. I think I got at least 10 messages in the last hour.”

“See, they want you to go as well,” Isabel teases as I grab my phone to check on the text messages.

I hold my breath when I read the name of the sender as soon as I flip my cell open.

“Somethin’ wrong?” Isabel asks.

“It’s from Michael.”

“What’d he write?”

I glance at her. “Haven’t opened it up yet.”

“What are ya waiting for?”

I shrug. There could be anything in it. Something good, something bad, something that could hurt or something that would melt my heart. I’m scared to read it, knowing I have to though. “Alright,” I sigh, pressing the button to open it up.

“What does it say?” Isabel asks impatiently.

I try to get my heartbeat back under control. “It says: I miss you here.”

Isabel snorts. “And you tell me my brother doesn’t show his feelings? What more do ya want, girl?”

I can’t hide the small smile on my face, wondering how much he had kicked his own ass before he finally wrote this message. This is unlike Michael and I know it had been hard for him to admit it.

“Get up now,” Isabel says and pulls me from the couch. “We’ll dress ya up and then you an’ me are going to my brother’s party.”

“But there will be no time to talk to him,” I complain. “I know those parties; he’ll be occupied with everything and everyone.”

“Hell, then ya just hang out with me, okay? We’ll drink something, we’ll have fun and my brother will be happy that you’re there. You two can talk when the party unwinds. The main point is that Michael feels better when you’re there and the rest you can figure out.”

I nod, knowing Michael would be hurt if I wouldn’t show up after his text. Well, he would also know that he would deserve to be hurt, but I can’t do that to him. Especially not on his birthday.
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 17

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: We will see Maria’s decision and what will happen during the party.

mary mary: Lol, let’s see what Maria does.

Novy: Yeah Michael… not a man of words, lol.

Isabel is a really good sister and will push the Candies back into the right direction. And his parents will give him the support he needs in his life as a teenager.

Sundae: Well, technically they didn’t say I love you yet, lol. Kidding.

Michael was not very mature here and he made a big mistake. We will never really know if he had told her the truth, if she hadn’t put the letter in his box…. I think it would have come out, but maybe not so soon.

Relationships are bound to bring up fights, mistakes, wrong decisions and it is either working on things that went wrong or break up. Everyone has to make his decision what he/she is willing to try ør forgive… and now it is Maria’s time to decide.

PART 17

It’s already after 10:30 pm when Isabel and I finally arrive at the Crashdown in her car. “Are ya ready?” she asks me.

I make a face. “No, not really.”

“Come on,” she tells me and takes me by my upper arms.

“I just… I feel weird. I don’t know what to say or to do, okay? Everyone in there will look at me. They all know we broke up.”

“The boys won’t be interested in your relationship stuff and the girls are just jealous.”

“No, they’re like vultures since Michael’s a single man again.”

“You’re gonna teach them better tonight then. And Michael will like your look.”

I glance down at myself. It was just my normal style, a pair of tight jeans and a white strapless top, nothing special, but well, yes, Michael always liked the way I looked. “Let’s take the back door,” I suggest. “We can leave out jackets in my locker.”

“Ya just wanna hide,” Isabel teases, “but okay, that’s probably a good idea since this jacket cost a fortune.”

We walk around the building to slip in through the back door. “You’re here!” someone shrieks when we get inside. Liz storms towards me and hugs me. “I’m glad you came and, oh hey,” she releases me and hugs Isabel. “I thought you weren’t coming.”

“My brother doesn’t know yet either.”

“Maria, can you do me a really big favour?” Liz asks, looking kind of exhausted. “I need some help only for a second. We need more plates and glasses out there.”

“Hey, I was about to reunite the broken couple,” Isabel complains when Liz asks for my help.

“Oh… well, Michael isn’t here anyway right now.”

I frown. “He’s not?”

“Well, there was a little food fight earlier and he and some others went home to change clothes. They should be back soon, though.”

“Oh, okay.” I turn to Isabel. “Go party, girl. I’ll help Liz get stuff.”

“Alright, I’ll see you soon,” she pushes her jacket into my hands and leaves through the swinging door.

“I’m really glad you came,” Liz says happily.

“Yeah, me too,” I answer honestly. Seriously, it couldn’t get any worse anyway, right? And blaming myself tomorrow for not going would suck as well.

Liz walks in the kitchen and comes out with a stack of plates a few moments later, placing them into my hands after I had put mine and Isabel’s jacket away in my locker. “Here, just put them next to the buffet, okay?”

“Alright,” I nod, glancing at the door which separates me from the party.

“Come on,” Liz said, balancing a tray of glasses, “there’s nothing to be afraid off.”

“Yeah, I know.” I force a smile to my face as I take the first steps towards the door, pushing it open with my foot to get in. I’m immediately surrounded by loud music and a crowd of dancing and laughing people.

Liz and I push our way through the people until we reach the tables where the buffet is and put the plates and glasses down. “Maria,” Tess yelps as she sees me, “you’re finally here!”

“As you can see,” I answer with a cool smile.

“Put ya claws out, DeLuca,” Courtney, who is with Tess says, “ya man is constantly bein’ hounded by the women out here.”

“But he’s not playing along with them,” Liz assures me.

“Well, technically he isn’t her man anymore,” Mary Porter says when she approaches us to get something from the buffet.

“Don’t ya think your ass is fat enough, Porter?” Tess snaps.

She makes a face and disappears into the crowed again. “She is the worst,” Courtney hisses. “She’s been clinging to Michael the whole night.”

“I’m gonna kick her ass,” I say determinedly, feeling more self-conscious suddenly. Hell, he wrote me that he missed me, so he didn’t want anyone else, right?

Tess laughs. “Go, Maria.”

I turn to look over the choice of drinks, deciding t go with some punch. “Kyle’s sister made it,” Tess tells me.

“Well, hopefully that’s a good sign,” I mutter.

“Huh?” Liz asks.

“Oh, nothing, I was just remembering something.” The last time I had drunk from her bowl of punch, Michael and I kissed for the first time.

My cell suddenly starts to buzz in m pants and I put my glass aside to get it out. My heartbeat increases immediately as soon as I see the caller ID. Michael. “Excuse me,” I tell my friends and make my way through the crowd. There is no way I can understand him over the loud music in here.

I shiver when I reach the front door and step out into the night without my jacket. “Hello?” I answer the phone, knowing that I have no time to think of a better way to greet him.

“Hey,” he greets me gently, I can hear the frown on his face through the phone. “Are you shivering?”

“Just a bit,” I wrap my arms around myself, pretending it was his.

“Where are you?”

“At your party, but guess who’s not here?”

He chuckles softly and it makes my knees weak. “Ya always had the worst timing, DeLuca.”

I frown. “Where are you?”

“In front of your house.”

“Oh,” now it’s my turn to chuckle. “That’s… really bad timing.”

“Don’t go anywhere,” he says.

“Well, can I at least go inside again?” I ask, deliberately misunderstanding him.

“I guess that’s okay, goofy,” he teases. It feels good to have a halfway normal conversation with him.

“Thanks.”

“Go back inside or you’ll catch a cold.” I can hear the smile through his voice. “I’m on my way back.”

He hangs up before I could reply anything, so I shove my cell back into my jeans and walk inside again, feeling even better now that I know he came to my house to see me.

“Did ya talk to Michael?” Isabel asks, grinning when she appears next to me.

I smile. “Maybe.”

“Will he be here anytime soon?”

“Yeah, probably in a few minutes.”

“Great,” she glances around the Crashdown. “Oh, hey, is that Alex Whitman over there?” She nods to the counter.

“Yep. Want me to introduce you?”

Isabel is two years older than the rest of us, so Alex and her never really talked to each other back in school and neither did I. I just got to know her when things with Michael and me started. “Yeah, he looks good, much better than the way I remember him.”

“Well, he is older now, ya know?” I tease when we walk up to the man in question. “Hey Alex,” I greet him.

“Oh, hey,” he looks at me, surprised. “You’re here?”

“As you can see.”

He nods. “That’s good.”

I step to the side. “I want to introduce you to Michael’s sister Isabel. Isabel, this is Alex.”

They smile at each other and as usual, Isabel immediately starts to talk a mile a minute. I shake my head, amused and decide to leave them alone for now to get another drink.

“Hey, haven’t seen you before, have ya been here for long?” someone says from behind when I fix myself another punch in a new glass.

I turn around and see Billy standing next to me. “Oh hey, I just got here 30 minutes ago or something.” His face still looks bruised, not as bad as last week anymore though.

He nods. “So you an’ Michael are back together?”

Were we? “I guess we’re workin’ on this to find out...”

“Hey, can we talk for a second?”

I wonder is this is such a good idea, since he and Michael had a fight and I don’t know if they had figured things out between them. Other than that… I’ve never had any problems with Billy. “Yeah sure.”

He points at the backroom of the Crashdown. “Over there, maybe?”

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 18

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: The Billy talk will happen just now and will explain why Michael and his friend had gotten into a fight. You shouldn’t worry too much about Billy. ;)

Novy: I told him about the brownie point and he said: Thank you. ;)

Not expecting anything good from Billy, huh? Lol, ya might be surprised.

mary mary: Lol, sometimes your curiosity is stronger than sanity. But it doesn’t have to be a bad thing…

PART 18

I nod and follow him through the crowd to the back room, where we sit down on the small couch. “Okay,” he wipes his hands on his jeans. “Listen Maria, I don’t know what you’ve already heard, but I guess ya know I had that fight with Michael and there were plenty of rumors in school.” He glances at me. “We always got along pretty good, so I want you to know the truth… because well, some rumors were really bad or stupid.”

“I haven’t heard much.”

He nods. “Well, the thing is, Michael was in a pissy mood all week when we went to football camp, but no one really knew why. I hadn’t heard about your break up at the time and Michael hadn’t told anyone either. So one night after a few beers, I was messing around with him, ya know…” he looks at me and swallows. “I was giving him shit about his mood and said some stupid things like he hadn’t gotten laid by you for a while now… stuff like that.”

“Uh-huh,” I answer with lifted eyebrows.

“Sorry about that, it was just stupid teasing, like I said. I didn’t even know you two were havin’ problems at the time. Michael got mad at me and it ended in a fight.”

“Is Michael still mad at you?”

“No, we talked about it and I think we’re good again.”

“Well, I guess that everything’s okay, isn’t it?”

“You’re not mad?” he asks, surprised.

I shrug. “As you said, it was just stupid teasing and we all talk shit now and then, especially after some beer.”

Billy smiles, relieved. “Okay, cool. Anyway, I’m glad this is out of the way now.” He gets up and right at that moment the door, which leads out into the alley, is opened and Michael steps in, glancing at us skeptically.

Great timing.

“Hey,” Billy nods toward him. “Guess I’ll leave you two alone.”

I watch him go back to the party in the front again before I have the courage to look at Michael. “Hi,” I say quietly and get up from the couch to come face to face with him.

“Hey,” he shrugs his jacket off and throws it on the couch carelessly. “What’d Billy want?” His questions aren’t taunting or anything, but I think there’s a TINY bit jealousy in it.

“He told me about your fight in football camp.”

He nods. “That one was just plain stupid. Got us suspended from a few games.”

I smile. “You’re right. This really was stupid… to hurt your face like this.” I lift my hand to brush my fingertips against his cheek, the bruise there is almost gone. “Did ya get hurt anywhere else?”

“None of the important parts of my body,” he tells me with a smirk.

I roll my eyes at him. “Of course you would say that now.”

“I’m still a man, ya know?” He shrugs as his strong arms come around me to pull me close against him.

I wrap my arms around him as well, resting my cheek on his chest. “I’m pretty aware of that,” I mumble as I inhale his scent and recognize how much my body is longing for him. It feels so good to be back in his arms, it feels right.

His embrace gets tighter as he buries his nose in my hair. “One who misses you though,” he admits in a whisper.

I feel dizziness wash over me at his spoken confession. It definitely felt even better to hear it, than to just read it. “Same here,” I admit without hesitation.

“What, you’re a man who misses you?” he teases slightly.

I groan and smack his upper arm. “Shut up.”

He snorts slightly as one of his hands comes up to run along my shoulder to the back of my neck. He forces me gently to look at him. “Hey, I know we’ve got a lot of talking to do,” his thumb brushes over my lips slowly, his eyes follow the movement, “but I don’t wanna do this while we’ll probably be constantly interrupted around here, so…”

I nod slightly. “We can do this later.”

He leans in to brush his lips against mine, just in a whisper. “Stay with me tonight?”

It’s hard to focus my mind on what he is saying when he is so close. I am trying to decide if spending the night together before we had the chance to talk was such a good idea. He shakes his head slightly as if he had just read my mind. “Nothin’ has to happen or anything. I just… I just don’t wanna be alone.”

How could I ever say no to that? I nod. “You won’t be.”

He smiles softly, his eyes locking on my lips once again. I lean into the touch of his hand on my cheek, and my whole body is tense, waiting for his kiss.

Unfortunately, right at this moment, the door to the front part of the Crashdown swings open and Isabel walks in, carrying some empty plates. “Michael,” she shrieks happily.

He looks up, puzzled. “Izzy? What are you doin’ here?”

He glances back and forth between me and her. I grin and let my arms drop from him with a nod, knowing he wants to greet his sister.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you guys,” she tells him as she hands me the plates to give her brother a tight hug.

“I thought you said you weren’t able to make it back down here.”

“I was lying,” she says simply.

“I should’ve known you’d do that.”

I smile at his happiness. Isabel and Michael get along pretty well and he’s looking forward to joining her at the same college so they could see each other more often. “Alright, I’m going back to the party and you two… you continue right there, where I have interrupted you, okay?” She winks at me and disappears again.

“Did you know she was coming?” he asks me, taking the plates out my hands and placing them in the shelf next to us.

“Not until earlier tonight, no. She suddenly showed up at my front door.”

“Did you tell her?” He leans his back against the wall next to the door and takes my hand to pull me close again.

“Well, ya know her. She won’t leave you alone until she knows everything.”

“Yeah, sounds like her.” He widens his stance to pull me between his legs. “I’m surprised she didn’t kick my ass right away when she walked in then.”

I laugh. “Oh, I’m pretty sure she’ll catch up on that later.

He looks at me, playfully horrified. “Did she say that?”

“Uh-huh.”

“I guess I deserve…” he admits quietly.

“No doubt about that,” I tell him half-serious, half-teasing.

Michael smiles sadly. “C’mere.” His arms come around me, pulling me against him tightly as he buries his face against my neck.

“It’s almost midnight,” I notice as I glance at the clock right above us on the wall.

“I don’t care,” he whispers, placing feather-light kisses against my jaw as he works his way closer to my mouth.

“Just so you know, your birthday present’s back at home. It was too big to get it here.”

He stops his kissing and leans his forehead against mine, staring at me gently. “The only thing I need for my birthday is you being with me, M’ria.”

“I’m here.” One of my hands comes up to caress his chest and I can feel his fast heartbeat under it. Wow, I can still do this to him.

He places one hand over mine, squeezing it slightly before he leans in to kiss me. His lips are moving over mine tenderly, very slowly… It feels like our first kiss. The same dizziness in my head, the same weak knees and the same racing heart. He wants this moment to last as much as I do. Carefully, he continues the kiss, adding just a little bit more pressure with his mouth as he lets go of my hand and brings his own back to my lower back to press me even more against him.

My lips part and a small groan escapes my throat when his action brings our lower bodies into contact. He takes the invitation and lets his tongue wander over my bottom lip. He moves his legs further apart to bring us now as close as possible.

The kiss deepens and I can’t hold back my yearning for him any longer. It’s been too long since the last time we kissed and it’s even longer since the last time he had touched me.

From far away I can hear the party going on in the other room, people are shouting and laughing, a countdown starting with 10 can be heard and it gets even louder the moment it ends with a cheer and shouted “HAPPY BIRTHDAY”.

We are unable to stop kissing, happily ignoring the fact that probably everyone was looking for Michael at this time.

Well, that’s until Kyle and Max almost fall into the room through the swinging door, laughing at something. “Guerin, get your ass out there. Everyone’s looking for you.”

We look at each other, breathless but smiling. I take a step back and try to get some control over my brain back as I let the boys drag Michael with them.
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 19

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: I know you guys would expect the worse of Billy, so I decided to let this turn out with a surprise. :)

Worried about M&M moving too fast? Hm, this might change today.

Novy: Yep, I decided to add a nice Billy here since every Candy expects the worse from him, lol.

Today the Candies will learn that a reunion is not as simple as it looks like… ;)

Sundae: Billy is a good friend of both Maria and Michael. He wanted to make sure that she heard the truth from him and there is nothing more behind it - no cruel intentions from him here. Rumors in high school can be bad and so much worse than the truth.

PART 19

The party is still going on and pretty wild after midnight. I haven’t had the chance to talk to Michael since we got separated from the guys, but it’s his birthday and we said we would talk later anyway. “Hey, Maria,” Isabel approaches me, putting a glass of punch in my hand. “Everything okay?”

I nod and take a sip. “Sure.”

“Sorry, I know I kinda had bad timing earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I assure her.

“So you two…”

“We still have to talk, but I think we’ll work things out,” I tell her and can’t hide the relieved smile on my face.

“YES,” she shouts into the air. “You two belong together.”

“Who?” Alex asks when he shows up next to her.

“Maria and Michael. They are M&M, like the candies.”

I roll my eyes at her. “Relax, girl!”

She winks at me and turns to look at Alex. “Do ya wanna dance?”

He grins back goofily. “Hell, how could I say no to that?” He puts his beer on the counter carelessly before grabbing her hand and dragging her to the dancing crowd.

I chuckle at them. Isabel is good for Alex. He is younger but she doesn’t seem to care. Maybe she’ll manage to finally distract him from bad thoughts of his ex. He’s suffered enough from their breakup and it was past time for him to move on.

“Hey, girlfriend,” Tess rips me out of my thoughts as she shows up next to me and bumps her hip against mine.

“Are your drunk?”

“Yeah, she is,” Liz comes up on my other side.

“I am not, Parker.”

“Um-hmm, if ya say so.”

“I do say so!”

“God, how did I survive you two the last years?” I complain about their constantly bickering.

“Because you looooovvvve us,” they both say at the same time.

“I think you’re both drunk,” I shrug.

“At least we’re not too drunk to notice that you were awful long in the backroom with Michael,” Liz giggles, when Tess gives her a high five. “What happened?”

“Yeah, share, DeLuca!”

I glance through the room, noticing Michael on the other side, where he’s talking to Max and Niel, while there is a constant crowd of women around him. They still think he’s back on the market. Back off bitches, he’s mine. “We kissed.”

“Uh-huh, no talking?” Liz asks.

“A little bit. We’ll talk later, when we have more time.”

“Are ya officially back together?” Tess sits down on one of the barstools, sipping on her punch.

“Well…” Were we? “I think so. We haven’t said it, but we kissed and all so I think we are or will be.”

“You should tell the crowd of women around him them. They will be sooo disappointed,” Tess says, amused.

I turn to look at Michael again and our eyes meet for a brief second. He winks at me quickly. “They’re really getting on my nerves.” I am not the total jealous type of girlfriend. You can’t be with Michael Guerin, because taken or not, the women are still all over him. Still, I would appreciate right now if some of them would put some space between him and them.

“Who is this?” Liz asks, nodding to a girl, who had just shown up next to Michael and kissed his cheek, while giving him a small present.

I narrow my eyes at her. “I don’t know her name, but she’s familiar.”

“She’s Niel’s cousin, I think her name’s Anastasia,” Courtney says, leaning over the counter from behind to talk to us.

“She’s getting awfully close to your man,” Tess says. “Bitch!”

“She could be the one… ya know… THE one,” Courtney says meaningfully.

“We don’t need THE one anymore,” Liz waves her off.

“Huh?”

“Michael didn’t cheat on her.”

“Did he tell you that?”

I nod.

“And you believe him?”

“Um, yeah… I think I do.”

She glances at me sceptically before her gaze wanders back to Anastasia and Michael. She is still clinging to him like gum. “They seem to know each other pretty well, though.”

Unfortunately, she is totally right about that and I can’t say that it isn’t bothering me. There is still a little fear left inside of me. Fear, that Michael isn’t telling the truth. I can’t help it, the last two weeks have been rough and it’s his fault that I have my doubts after his stunt.

I have watched Anastasia and Michael together now for over thirty minutes. She’s like a groupie, not moving from his side, trying to get his attention and brushing her hair back now and then in an erotic gesture. My blood is boiling by now and I’m ready to kick her ass, even if Michael doesn’t seem to be too interested in her. He is talking to the guys, only nodding at something she says now and then.

“You should definitely tell her to move,” Courtney says next to me.

“I hate to say it, but I agree with her,” Tess says, shoving the other girl gently to let her know she was just kidding.

“Looks like she’s going into the backroom,” Liz points at Anastasia.

I nod. “I guess we need a one on one talk.” My feet start to walk in the direction of the swinging door. She probably wants to use the bathroom in the back of the Crashdown, since the other in the front seems to be constantly blocked.

She isn’t anywhere to be seen when I get into the backroom, where the waitresses change into their uniforms, so I lean against the shelf next to the door, waiting. The flushing sound of the toilet minutes later has me straightening up and a moment later she walks out of the door, stopping in surprise when she detects me.

“Oh, hey, I hope it was okay to use this bathroom.”

“Sure,” I answer coldly. “As long as ya keep your hands off my man.”

“Your man?” She lifts her eyebrows in question. I can see her mood changing quickly. She places one hand on her hip. “I heard different.”

“Well, you heard wrong.”

She grins saucily. “I doubt that. You can’t seriously want him back after what he’s done.”

I snort. “You don’t know anything about it and it’s none of your business.”

“Awww, you don’t know, do you?” Anastasia looks at me sympathetically. “Maria, I was the one who slept with him. “

I can’t say anything about it. Her words hurt and I can’t help myself but wonder if she’s telling the truth. She is lying, right? God, please! She has to be lying.

“Sorry that you have to learn it from me, I thought he told you,” she continues when I am still too shocked to say anything.

“That’s not true,” I croak.

She makes a pitiful face, but I know her empathy is just faked. “I wasn’t planning to hurt you or anything, sorry. I truly have nothing against you, but ya know… when a Michael Guerin is flirting with you like he did with me that special night, then ya can’t just say no to him.”

I look at her, horrified but still skeptical and unsure about what I should think about this. “I still don’t believe you.” The sad thing is I start to…

She shrugs. “Well, you don’t have to. But let me tell you… that little birthmark he has just looks like a heart, don’t ya think?” She winks at me and moves out of the room again.

I lean against the wall behind me as the ground seems to be ripped away from me feet again. The birthmark, how could she know about that? It sits VERY low on Michael’s stomach; you can’t see it as long as he’s wearing anything. And it is very, very small, nothing you’d see during some random quickie sex. Okay, everyone had those spots, but the tiny one she mentioned does look like a heart.

The door swings open again and Michael comes into the backroom. “Hey, thought I saw you walkin’ in here. Sorry, seems like my guests won’t let me talk to you, but…” he suddenly falls silent when he looks at me. “What’s wrong?” He rushes to my side, holding my face in his hands. “Are you feeling sick?”

“Did you sleep with her?” I ask quietly and glance at him to check his features for any sign of guilt.

“What?” he asks, looking puzzled and a little… shocked?

“Anastasia! Did you sleep with her, Michael?” I ask, louder now. My shock slowly but surely transforms into anger again. “Was she the one you slept with?”

“But I told you that I didn’t sleep with anyone,” he says defensively, letting his hands drop from my face.

“She told me different,” I snap at him. “And she knows about your damn birthmark,” I reach out to drag his tee shirt up and pull the waistband of jeans and boxers away a little, to point at it. “How the hell does she know about this?”

He runs his hand through his hair and starts to pace around in the room. “I wasn’t lying to you again, Maria. I didn’t cheat on you!” He stops and looks at me intensely, shaking his head. “But you don’t believe it.” He takes a deep breath, before stopping right in front of me again. “Look! Ya know my past, Maria. You know I slept with a lot of girls, I never tried to hide that from you.”

“That’s not the point here,” I say quietly.

“It is,” he assures me and takes my hand. “Alright. Did I have sex with her? Yes, I did. But did I sleep with her after we were together? No, I definitely did not. She probably knows about the birthmark from the past.”

I look at him with tears in my eyes. Doubts are still making it hard for me to trust him. “Why would she say this now then?”

“I don’t know, Maria. Maybe she just wants payback or something?”

“Payback? For what?”

“God help me,” he mutters to himself. “She’s one of a few girls I had sex with more than just once.”

I look at him, surprised. “You and her were…”

He presses his finger to my lips and shakes his head. “No. We just had sex now and then and it didn’t mean anything to me. I had told her it was nothing more and she pretended to think the same way. The night when we kissed at Kyle’s party, she showed up at my door after I got home but I sent her away. Guess she’s still pissed about that.”

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?”

“Why didn’t I…?” He shrugs helplessly. “I didn’t think about her. As I said, there were no feelings involved on my side and the moment I saw a chance with you, I didn’t care about any other girl, Maria.”

He looks at me helplessly when he realizes that this isn’t making all my doubts go away. “I don’t know what else to say, Maria. I don’t have a very good alibi for last Saturday night. I went home from the party pretty early and then I was alone in my apartment. There’s no one who can tell you anything that’ll make you feel better.”

Fuck, I know that and it’s killing me. “I don’t know what to do or what to believe anymore, Michael,” I admit quietly.

He nods sadly and takes a step away from me. “I guess I can understand.” He starts to walk to the door again. “I’ll give ya some space to think… and I guess I have to hope that my word against hers is enough…” He shrugs. “It has to be enough, because it’s all I can offer,” he admits quietly.
candysteffi
Addicted Roswellian

Part 20

Post by candysteffi »

Ellie: Teenage hormones took over the control in a weak moment. Let’s hope they learned their lesson.

Novy: Anastasia is a real b***, but Maria will have her ways with her… ;)

Eva: Or maybe Maria finds a different way to get the truth out. ;)

PART 20

I glance up when Tess and Liz enter the backroom only seconds after Michael leaves and I sit down on the small couch. "What's wrong?" They both ask.

I have to laugh at their quick appearance. "Do you guys have an inner radar or somethin'? So ya always know when somethin' has happened to me?"

"We got a hint," Liz says.

"A hint?"

"Michael told us you could use a friend, so what's the matter?" Tess asks impatiently. "I thought you guys are better again..."

"Seems like it didn't last very long, huh?" I rub my face tiredly.

"Spill it, DeLuca," Tess sits down next to me and holds her drink out for me.

I take a large sip and lean back against the backrest. "I was talking to that bitch who was clinging on him for the last past hour."

"Niel’s cousin?" Liz asks. "Anastasia?"

"Yeah, I told her to keep her hands off of him... Well, and she suddenly told me she was the woman Michael had sex with."

Tess makes a face. "Bitch."

"Do you believe her? I don't know, Maria... She could’ve just made it up."

"I don't know what to believe anymore. Fact is, she knew some details about Michael."

"What did he say to defend himself?"

"Well, he didn't deny sleeping with her. The difference is that he says it had happened during his wild life before I was in the picture and that she’s probably mad at me because Michael told her no when we got together."

"He could be right about that," Courtney suddenly appears in the room. "I know they had kind of a fuckin' relationship before he dated you."

"How do you know that?" Liz frowns. "I can't say I ever saw them together."

"Me neither," Tess nods.

"I used to hang out with her now and then, since Niel is my neighbour. She had a bad crush on Guerin and well... It’s no secret that I wanted him as well, so I hated her for what she had with him. That's when our friendship ended! She knew I was after him as well and yet she used every time to tell me how good he was in bed. That bitch!" She takes Tess' drink out of my hand and empties it.

"Anastasia, seriously, what's that for a name anyway?" Tess mumbles.

Courtney snorts. "What did she do anyway? I just heard you rambling about her when I got here."

"She claims she slept with Michael last week," Tess explains.

Courtney laughs out loud. "I seriously doubt that."

"What makes you so sure of it?" I have to admit that I’m starting to like her. We have never been great friends because of her past crush on my boyfriend, but she seems to be over it.

"I don't know. We don't hang out anymore, just a feeling I guess."

I groan, disappointed that she can't deliver something better. "That's not enough to convince me completely. I mean, I really want to believe Michael told the truth, but..."

"Hey, it’s normal that your trust in him is broken right now. He did lie to you," Liz tries to reassure me.

I nod. "And the fact that he was alone at home after the guys party isn't helping the problem either. Doesn't give him the best alibi."

"Well, there might be another way to find out the truth," Courtney muses. "At least when it comes to Anastasia."

"Spill it, Banks," Tess says.

"She was never the brightest crayon in the box. You could get out the truth out of her with a little bit of cleverness."

"I don't know..." I say doubtfully.

"No, Courtney’s probably right, Maria." Tess gets up, excited, and paces through the room, while Liz shakes her head in amusement. "Talk to her, ask her questions about that night. Get her into a trap."

"A trap?" I ask, puzzled.

"That actually makes sense," Liz agrees, winking at Tess. "Nobody knows Michael better than you do. Maybe you can get something outta her, just some small, wrong detail, that will show you she’s lying."

"I put my money on Maria and that she will get something outta her," Courtney laughs.

"You guys are not betting on me," I grumble.

She sticks her tongue out to me. "Fine. Will you do it anyway?"

I sigh. "Do I have another choice?"

The opportunity to track that little tramp down presents itself about an hour later. She is using the bathroom in the back of the cafe again and I follow her, locking the door to the little room and waiting until she comes out of the stall. She looks at me, puzzled, where I lean against the door arms crossed over my chest. "Are you trying to kill me now? Because ya know... There’s still someone else to blame, girl. He told me he was single again, so I slept with him."

"When?" I snap.

She lifts her eyebrows in surprise. "When?"

"Yeah, which day? How often?"

"Maria," she tries, "believe me, you don't wanna hear about it."

"So damn wrong. I wanna know everything! I have the right to know the truth and since he’s lying to me, you’re gonna tell me every fuckin' detail."

Anastasia sighs. "Fine, if ya really wanna put yourself through that, girl."

Good, I have her where I want her. "Soo... When? And how often?”

She thinks about it briefly. "It was a Saturday I think and just one time, okay?"

I nod. "Which time?"

She looks surprised. "Why is that important?"

I bet she knows what I’m planning here. Her hands start to fumble around nervously. "Well, it is to me. I was home sick and he called me once. I just wanna know if he was already cheating on me then."

"It was pretty late at night."

Damn, that's not helping me. "Jerk," I mutter to win her trust. "Fuckin’ around with someone else why I am home and sick."

"I'm sorry," she says and it almost sounds sincere.

"Where were you? Let me bet, he dared to take you to his apartment."

She nods, a little saucy grin on her face. "Yeah."

Well, if she was lying, then this could be my advantage. I know his apartment like my own room. "Was it your first time at his place?"

She shakes her hear. "I've been there before. When the two of you weren't together though."

"Well, I guess there haven't changed much during your absence. Michael refused to let me change anything."

She laughs, amused. "Yeah, it looked pretty much the same."

Now this is getting interesting. Actually, Michael and I have changed a lot in his apartment during our relationship. There was now different furniture in the living room and also a different color on the walls. But then again... I can't just rely on this fact. It was night when she got there, who knows if they even turned on the lights.

I try to come up with the next question. How could I trap her? She takes the decision from me, when she speaks up again. "His waterbed is probably the best thing though, don't ya think? Damn, nothing goes over better than sex in a waterbed."

HA! And now she had kicked herself out of the game. Michael used to have a waterbed when we got together. We crashed it and flooded his whole bedroom on my third night at his place though. Uh-huh, I know what you’re thinking now, but it was an accident, really. Anyway, we decided to buy a normal bed then, since his room had been a mess after the... accident.

"You had sex in his bed?" I ask, pretending to be hurt.

"Yeah, couldn't resist since I knew from the past about his special bed."

I nod, not willing to let it go just yet. "So, what ya think about his new bathroom? I think the black bathroom furniture is totally ugly but he bought it anyway."

"Oh, I kinda like it," she shrugs. "It's something different, ya know?"

God, she is so stupid. I've got more than enough proof now, but somehow it’s fun to fool her. "Ungh, really? Then ya probably also like the dark blue color in his living room."

She suddenly looks at me, irritated. Has she finally noticed I just let her run blindly into a trap? A very simple trap. "Can I go now?"

"Sure," I grin at her saucily, "I know all I needed to know now."

She avoids looking at me and practically runs off when I open the bathroom again. Tess, Liz and Courtney wait in the backroom for me. "And?"

"Turned that bitch down with just a few sentences," I tell them proudly.

"I knew it," Tess yelps and high fives me.

I laugh, feeling so much better now that I know that stupid Anastasia just came up with a story. She is no threat, I am sure of this now.