Do You Believe In Magic (AU, Teen, M&M) – Complete – 4/13/11

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Do You Believe In Magic (AU, Teen, M&M) – Complete – 4/13/11

Post by Sundae »

Banner by me
Title: Do You Believe In Magic

Rating: Teen

Parings: Michael/Maria

Disclaimer:
I don’t own this booty. Now, your booty might be a different story. ;) Pirate language if you didn’t pick up, seriously, did you think I was actually talking about your booty? LOL, I do not own Roswell or the song I use in this fic – they both belong to their respective owners. No infringement intended.

Summary: Two people struggling with the hand that life has dealt them find love and solace in one another.

Author’s Note: This is something I wrote a long time ago. It was originally meant to be the prologue of a story that I had been thinking about for quite a long time but never got a chance to pursue further. I wrote this as a snippet of future scenes that were meant to foreshadow what was to eventually come in the fic… and so it may sound a bit romantic but I think it works. Anyways, I stumbled across it two days ago while searching for another story and immediately realized that I couldn’t let it go to waste. So, I decided to tweak it and turn it into a one-shot piece. I may pursue this in fic in the future, I don’t know… but for now, this is just as great in my opinion. The song I used in this story is called “Love Story” by Taylor Swift.

I hope you enjoy. My thanks to Valentinebaby for beating this for me. You’re the best.

~Le début~

We were both young when I first saw you

Michael turned his head towards the door the moment she arrived, her simple white dress making his heart flutter as she made her way over to him.

I close my eyes and the flashback starts
I’m standing there, on a balcony in summer air

Beep… Beep… Beep. “Doctor, his heart rate's dropping, his blood pressure is now 110 over 50.”

See the lights; see the party, the ball gowns
I see you make your way through the crowd
And say hello, little did I know

Michael smiled when she came towards him, his hands already reaching out towards her, bringing her even closer to him before he swiftly bent down and kissed her, swallowing her protest and surprise.

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles

“And you know what? You’re just a cynical, bitter, a-hole who is so busy being angry at this world for the cards that life handed him that when something good actually happens you go out of your way to destroy it and at the same time, you drag everyone else down with you.”

“Yeah and you’re nothing but a fucking princess who thinks music and sunshine can automatically make everything better, well news fucking flash princess, it doesn’t. Because at the end of the day, the music fades, the sun goes down, and you’re left alone again with nothing but pain as your companion and a clock that mocks you as you slowly wait to fucking die.”

So I sneak out to the gardens to see you

“Where are we going?” She questioned, but Michael just dragged her along, his hand firmly placed at her side so that he could catch her if she fell. Though he had no intention of letting her fall… there was a meteor shower tonight and he had already gotten permission from the nurses to see if they could set up a picnic, and if they could stay out here for a little while tonight. He signed his life to bring them back in one piece and he had no desire to do anything otherwise. Michael looked over at her and chuckled, she really got dressed up when he told her to wear something warm. She almost looked like a bumble bee, a really cute bumble bee.

I got tired of waiting
Wondering if you were ever coming around

“Go away,” she covered her face as she made herself into a ball, tears streaming down her face. “No,” Michael whispered as he slowly walked towards her, his vision starting to get blurry when he saw her pale face and the number of bruises all over her arms.

“What do you want?”

“I wanted to see if you wanted to watch the second season of Roswell with me.” Michael knelt to the ground, slowly reaching out and gently making her lower her arms so that he could see her.

“I’m not in the mood, so just go away.” She turned away from him angrily, burying her face in her knees, leaving Michael with only the faint sounds of her muffled sobs.

“No… no I think I’d rather sit here with you.” Michael pushed himself next to her, his back to the wall as he looked over at her. She was cold, and if she stayed here much longer, he was sure that it wouldn’t do her any good. Slowly putting an arm around her, he rocked her towards him, not letting her really protest before he wrapped both arms around her and gently rubbed her arms to get some heat into her. They had increased her chemotherapy treatments in the past week, administering higher doses of radiation that often left her weak and in pain by the end of the day. “I guess you didn’t have a good day huh?”

“Why are you doing this?” Tears were slipping from her eyes and her body started to shake. She buried her face in the crook of his neck when she felt his arms go around her. “I hate this, I really HATE this. It’s not fair; I mean what did I do to deserve this, what did I do wrong?”

“Nothing,” Michael whispered as he dropped a kiss onto her scalp – the last of her hair had fallen out the night before, “you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“I look like a monster.”

“No,” Michael shook his head as he turned her face towards him, wiping her tears away with his thumb. “No, you look like Maria DeLuca, the girl that has more power in her than anybody I have ever met. The girl that’s so beautiful, that it makes my heart beat an extra beat or flutter like its got wings. I can’t remember the last time I ever felt that and then suddenly you come in, and it’s like all my heart does is beat louder and stronger. You make me stronger, you’re that person that everyone needs but only comes by once in a lifetime. The one that so beautiful, you just can’t stop staring… ‘till… you…” Michael leaned forward, his lips just barely a hairs-width away. He wanted to kiss her, but he was afraid. She was beautiful, the most amazing person he had ever met and he couldn’t shake the thought that she was meant for him… that she was his and he was hers, but he didn’t want to hurt her. Not now, not ever, and not with everything that was happening. He wouldn’t do that to her, she deserved more, she deserved everything she dreamed and talked about, she deserved the world and all he had to give her was his warmth, ‘cause he didn’t have anything else, not even time.

His lips barely touched hers, and he saw her eyes as they searched out his, a small gasp escaping her mouth. It was like magic, or fire, and it was like he could see inside of her, and see all that she was, the girl that beat him in all the monopoly games, the girl that had more things to keep his mind busy with than he needed, the girl that was going to be… someone very special, because she already did the most amazing thing for him, she saved him. And that’s not an easy task, ‘cause he tried and he couldn’t even save himself. And she may not understand or feel that way, but it was true, she already saved him, the moment she came through those hospital doors, she saved him from having to be alone… from having to go alone and she gave him something no one else ever could. He still didn’t understand, but this was it, wasn’t it? This is what everybody talks about, what everyone wants and gushes over, this is love, how could it not be, it had to be love. He felt it and he knew it. He loved her. Michael looked at Maria, her bright green eyes shining with everything he loved about her. Damnit, why did it have to be this way? She didn’t deserve this, he did, she… she was right, it wasn’t fair… so not fair. Michael reached up, trailing his fingers across her eyes, making them flutter close for a moment. He had to make sure that he gave that back to her… make her believe that she was that special person, love her, because she was the only person he was ever going to love and she was that type of person that should always be loved… so he had to make sure, he had to... before… all before it was too late. His lips crashed on to hers, a lone tear slipping down his face as he cupped the back of her head with his hands, putting forth all the emotion, all the love, everything he was feeling… he was giving it to her… he was giving her himself.

So close your eyes

Beep… Beep… Beep. “We’re losing him. I need a crash cart NOW, Isabel, what are his O2 levels like?”

This love is difficult, but it’s real
Don’t be afraid, we’ll make it out of this mess

“How are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better.”

“How much pain are you in? Scale of one to ten, one being the least and ten being the most.”

“Ten.”

“Michael, I think it’s time for you to start thinking about your options. See if you want to get transferred to St. Jude’s hospice facility. The pain from here on in is just going to get worse. We’ve already increased your pain medication to the highest level, any more and it will just put even more strain on your heart. St Jude is better equipped to handle cases like yours. They already have a state of the art system in place; non-invasive procedures that can help alleviate some of the pain you’re in … because at this rate … the likelihood of you going into cardiac arrest is relatively high... and I’m not sure if your heart is strong enough to survive another cardiac episode. If we fail to revive you this time… and without a transplant at the ready, chances are you won’t make it.”

Escape this town for a little while

“Do you believe in magic?” Maria asked as she turned her head slightly to look at Michael, smiling when she saw she a shooting star pass by above them.

“What kind of magic?” Michael questioned as he looked down at Maria just laying there on his lap, a soft smile crossing his lips as he watched her eyes sparkle in laughter. Loving the way she automatically used him as a pillow.

Maria giggled and laughed in delight, her eyes glistening in wonder at the questioning look on Michael’s face. “Any kind of magic Michael. Like shooting stars or a pot of gold at the bottom of rainbow, or flying reindeer or little elves that come out at night to fix your shoes.” Maria smiled as she reached out a gentle hand to run her fingers through his hair, giggling softly at the prickly feel of his hair, now that it was growing back. He had shaved it when she had started to lose her hair and kept up with it until she was brave enough to face her changing reflection on her own.

Michael sighed as he bowed his head lower, letting her touch him while he rubbed his head alongside her fingers, a quiet shiver passing through his body as he let his eyes slip shut momentarily… getting lost in the feeling before slowly opening his eyes and looking at her, his heart thudding in his chest faster and faster. “I believe in you,” he whispered… as he dropped his head lower, kissing her finger tips before moving lower…and…capturing… her… lips…

But you were everything to me
I was begging you, please don’t go

“One…two… three… CLEAR!”

“No! No, please, no, Mic… Michael.” Maria was crying as she watched them attach electrodes to his chest. “We were just sitting there, he was fine… he was…”

“Mamn, I’m going to need you to step back okay, we’re doing everything we can for him.”

“But—“

“Please, you cannot be in here right now. Isabel, can you?”

Isabel nodded, “c’mon, Maria… we need to let the doctors work on him, trust me, they’re going to do everything they can for him.”

“Is… is he going to be okay? Please, I just… I just need to kno—“ Maria broke down in sobs as Amy caught her.

Isabel gave a sad smile as she helped Amy deposit Maria into a chair. “I don’t know. He’s very weak right now but we’ll do everything we can.”

‘Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter

“Promise?” Maria asked as she looked up Michael, her eyes wide and big smile on her face.

Michael nodded as he lowered his head and kissed her. “Absolutely promise.”

My faith in you is fading

“Raise it to three-sixty…One… two… three… CLEAR!”

“Damnit, again. Four-sixty this time.”

“One… two… three… CLEAR!”

“He’s still in asystole.”

“One final time… raise it to five-sixty.”

“One... two… three… CLEAR!”

“Doctor, he’s flat-lining.”

‘Cause we were both young when I first saw you

“So… how about we start over, maybe get off on the right foot this time?”

Maria looked up at the guy that had managed to turn her life upside down in a span of three weeks. He made her cry, he made her angry, he made her fight and scream, and yet, somehow, he had also managed to make her fall in love with him all at the same time. Nodding once, she extended her hand out in invitation. “Okay,” She whispered as a soft smile crossed her lips before looking up at him again. “Hi, my name is Maria DeLuca and I’m a Leukemia patient here at the hospital.”

Michael hid his smile as he took her hand and shook. “Nice you meet you Maria, and I’m Michael Guerin, I’m on the national organ donor waiting list - waiting for a new heart.”

It’s a love story

“He’s gone.”

“No, no… He can’t be… He promised, he promised me.”

“Maria, honey, c’mon, there is nothing you can do and we’re already running behind on your treatments. We have to go.”

“No Mom, I can’t. Michael, he… he wasn’t supposed to die. The doctors, they said, they said that they had a match, that he had a good chance. Mom… please.”

It’s a love story

“Come back to me.” Michael sat in the cold hospital chair, her lifeless hands tucked in his. “I need you.” A tear slipped down his face. Followed by another and another … “Please… baby, please… because the truth is, I don’t how to live without you.”

Beside him, the machine beeped automatically.

“This is not how it was supposed to go. You were never meant to lose or have to fight for your life. You were always supposed to live and I was always supposed to die. And so you can’t go now, you can’t leave, because you’re not supposed to.”

Michael bowed his head. “Please.”

“Because I never got a chance to tell you that I love you.”

“So … please Maria, come back to me.”

Baby just say yes

~La fin~
Last edited by Sundae on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.