Plus One (AU, Adult, MM, ML, MM) Complete 04/29 Pg 18

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

The return of Drunk Liz.

Post by nibbles2 »

QueenTrueLove Thanks.

Earth2Mama Thanks, I love Gregar too.

FSU/MSW-94 I don't think Michael and Maria will be blaming anything. It was what they both wanted.

besomeoneyoulove Thank you.

Alien_Friend There really was no other way he could prove he was straight, was there?

Mary Mary Thanks

MP Thank you.

dreamon Thanks for reading.

begonia9508 Michael totally deserved it.

keepsmiling7 The hole is only getting deeper.

Rowedog Soon, but not yet!

secretk Thank you.

Game On

“Where did Maria and Michael go?”

Liz's voice, so close to his ear, startled Max. He'd been so lost in the euphoria of holding her close to him and being able to touch her and smell her that he had forgotten about the rest of the world.

He lifted his head and looked around but couldn't see any sign of his 'boyfriend' or Maria. Michael was probably telling Maria the truth right now, he realized. Time for him to do the same. “Can we go somewhere a little quieter? I need to tell you something.”

“Sure,” Liz agreed. “But let's get another drink first, I’m kind of thirsty.”

Max nodded in agreement. He could use a drink to dampen the butterflies in his stomach. They went back to the table where a waiter materialized almost immediately. Liz opted for another Brokuko cocktail while Max ordered a beer.

As they waited for the waiter to return with his beer, Max decided to ask Liz a question that had been bugging him all day. “Liz, what happened between Michael and Maria? Michael is very vague about the whole thing.”

Liz regarded him for a moment as she considered how to answer. “Well, I can only tell you what Maria told me... They were working together at the Crashdown, there was an attraction. They acted on it. They were supposed to be just fuck buddies. But it grew into something more, at least it did for Maria. But when she told Michael she wanted a real relationship, he broke up with her. I always figured that he just couldn't handle his emotions or didn't want to be tied down in a relationship. But I guess, I was wrong about that. He's clearly madly in love with you.”

Max squirmed uncomfortably and Liz hid a smile. It was mean of her, but she was beginning to understand why Maria enjoyed torturing them so much. Max was so adorable when he blushed.

The waiter came back with the beer, Max stood up eagerly and to take it from him. He couldn't wait to get Liz away from the crowds and admit the truth.

But as he turned around to lead her away from the table, his eyes landed on a familiar face. He immediately looked away and prayed that he hadn't been spotted. But, too late.

“Max Evans?” A loud voice called.

Max swore under his breath before smiling as the blonde woman rushed over to him and airkissed his cheeks. “Hello Linda.”

“Max, it's been forever,” Linda drawled. “I didn't expect to see you here. How are you?”

“I'm good, great. How are you?”

“Wonderful,” Linda gushed. Her eyes fell on Liz and she smiled and held out her hands. “Hello, I’m Linda Galloway. Lovely to meet you.”

Liz shook her hand. “Hello Linda.”

“Linda and I were at college together,” Max explained. He looked around for an escape route. He wanted to get away from her as fast as he could. Linda had two qualities which made her a great journalist but a dangerous person to know if you didn't want the whole world knowing your secret. She could sniff out a secret at a hundred paces. And she was ruthless at digging out all the dirty details.

“So how do you know the happy couple?” Linda asked.

“We know Brody from Roswell,” Liz answered.

Max winced as Linda's eyes lit up. He could tell that she'd already made the connection. They had known Brody during his mental breakdown. “How do you know them?” He asked, hoping that by reminding her of her friendship with them, she wouldn't try to get a story from him.

“Oh, my date is an old family friend of the bride,” Linda said with a dismissive wave of the hand. “So, Roswell, that's interesting.”

“Not really,” Max cut in quickly. “Linda, it was lovely to talk to you but we have-”

But Linda had already latched onto him. Her finger nails were already digging into his arm. “No stay, I want to talk to you and your lovely date.”

“Oh, I’m not his date,” Liz said brightly. “Max is here with his boyfriend. I’m just a friend.”

Linda's eyebrows shot up to her hairline and she stared at Max in shock. Max glared at Liz. Just great! By midnight, everybody he had been at school with, and very probably, every journalist and writer in the country would know that he was gay.

Liz just smiled innocently at him and sipped her drink.

She watched as Linda tried to grill Max about his lovelife, his boyfriend and many other personal details. Max squirmed and evaded as much as he could but Linda was unrelenting in her quest to know the full details. He had to continue the ruse for the sake of his own story and he wanted to protect Brody from her too. So Max had no choice but to tell her all the story he and Tess had concocted.

Liz sipped her drink as she watched Max being interrogated and when the pink cocktail was finished, she immediately held up the empty glass and gestured for a waiter to bring another. Occasionally, Max would cast pleading looks her way. In normal circumstances, she would have helped Max get away, but either Maria, or the Brokukos were a very bad influence on her and she was enjoying the show so much, she pretended not to notice.

It was only when the band launched into a version of Katy Perry's 'I kissed a Girl' that Liz decided to drag Max away, and even then it was only because she sensed another opportunity to make Max squirm.

“Ohmigod, I love this song,” she squealed. She grabbed his arm and dragged him away from Linda who was mid-sentence.

I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chapstick,” she sang loudly and danced around wildly. Liz had never been blessed with a singing voice, and her drunken state was making it even worse. And while she was a natural dancer, the alcohol in her system sent her dancing the way of her singing.

Max had to duck to avoid being beamed in the head by her empty cocktail glass. He managed to grab hold of her hand and took the glass from her and handed it off to a passing waiter. “How many of them have you had?”

“I dunno, like, four, five?” Liz guessed, still dancing around.

He did a quick mental tally; Four noxious cocktails, a glass of champagne before dinner, three glasses of wine at dinner, and another glass of bubbly during the toast. Liz was wasted.

I kissed a girl just to try it, I hope my boyfriend don't mind it,” Liz sang loudly. She stopped dancing suddenly and smiled slyly at Max. “Maax, have you ever kissed a girl?” She asked.

“Um... Liz, let's get you a drink of water and some food,” he suggested.

“I'm sure that Michael wouldn't mind. He kissed a girl. He did more than kissing. Maybe you should try it.”

“Um, let's just sit down,” Max said. But he couldn't move her. Liz wasn't budging and he didn't want to manhandle her.

“How do you know you're gay if you've never kissed a girl?” Liz asked.

“Uh, I guess, you just know these things,” Max said uncertainly. “I mean, how do you know you're not gay? Have you ever kissed a girl?”

“Sure,” Liz nodded as if it was no big deal. “Lots of times.”

Max was thunderstruck. Visions of Liz kissing another girl raced through his mind.

Liz grinned at him and moved closer to him, she pressed against his body, her hips grinding slowly. “Us girls we are so magical, soft skin, red lips, so kissable, hard to resist, so touchable, too good to deny it.

Max was frozen. He bit his inner cheek and clenched his fists. He was so turned on right now.

Liz flashed a look of triumph at him and backed away, still dancing slowly and provocatively. All Max could do was stand and stare as Liz shimmied and swayed. Her dancing had a hypnotic effect on him. He finally managed to rouse himself from his stupor when he noticed Michael standing on the edge of the dancefloor. He breathed a sigh of relief and made his way to him.

The grin on Micheal’s face told Max all he needed to know. “I take it you had more luck with Maria than I’ve had with Liz,” he said.

Michael raised an eyebrow. “You haven't told her yet?”

“I haven't had a chance. Where's Maria?”

“Talking to Brody,” Michael told him, pointing Maria out. But as he spoke Maria sauntered back in their direction and smirked at Max.

“Hi Max. Are you having a good time?”

“Not as good as Liz,” Max told her glibly. “She's wasted.”

Maria watched Liz for a minute and shook her head. “Nah, she's fine. Trust me, Liz can handle her drink. She's just very merry right now and that brings the devil out in her. You'll know she's wasted when the tears come. She gets very weepy when she's drunk.”

“OK,” Max said uncertainly. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’ve had plenty of nights out with Liz to know when she's wasted and when she's just having a good time.” Maria shot him a grin, then winked at Michael before dancing her way towards Liz.

“OK, so tell me what you told Maria,” Max pleaded.

“I told her I wasn't gay, she didn't believe me, so I proved it. I proved it hard.”

Max stared at Michael with a mixture of envy and amazement as the truth of just how lucky Michael had gotten sunk in. “You cheated on me?” He joked.

Michael laughed. “Sorry man, you're a great guy and all. I just need to be with somebody with breasts.”

“I thought we'd be forever,” Max said with a fake sniff, causing the two of them to laugh.

“Mariaaaa,” Liz squealed when she spotted her friend. She wagged her finger at her. “What have you been up to?”

“Better question, is what I have been under,” Maria smirked. “Michael.”

Liz giggled. “I knew you liked him.”

“What are you doing to poor Max?” Maria asked, brushing aside the mention of her feelings for Michael.

“I've taken a leaf from your book,” Liz laughed. “He wants to tell me the truth but I’m not letting him. I feel a bit mean, but he's so cute. I want another drink! I love these cocktails.”

The devil is strong in you, child,” Maria joked. She summoned a waiter over and pointed to the drinks on his tray. “The orange one is the 'Dishi', right ?”

The waiter nodded, so Maria grabbed two and handed one to Liz. “Try these ones. They're nicer than the pink ones.”

Liz took a drink and threw her hand in the air. “Wooh.”

Maria laughed. She looked over her shoulder and saw Max throw his hands up in exasperation. Her eyes drifted to Michael who winked at her at gave her a 'come hither' stare. “Liz, I’m going to go... you have fun. And stick to the orange drinks, OK?”

“Sure,” Liz agreed.

Maria left her dancing on her own and joined Michael and Max by the edge of the floor.

“Are you sure that giving her more drinks is a good idea?” Max asked.

“Relax, dude,” Maria smiled. “The orange ones are for the children. They're non-alcoholic. Liz doesn't even realize.”

Max relaxed briefly, but he tensed quickly when he noticed another guy dance up towards Liz. “Excuse me, I’m just going to go...” he hurried back onto the floor to claim Liz and chase off the new guy.

“Did he ever stop being in love with her?” Maria asked as she watched Max and Liz dance.

Michael shook his head. Then he narrowed his eyes and stared at Maria. Realization dawned on him. “You knew the whole time, didn't you? You were just playing with us.”

“D'uh,” Maria laughed. “I figured it out about thirty seconds after Brody told me that you were Max's date. Like you could be gay. And Max has been in love with Liz his whole life. I knew he wasn't gay either. So I had some fun.”

“Does Liz know?”

“That Max is in love with her? No. Even though I’ve told her eleventy-billion times. She didn't really believe me that he was straight at first either, but she does now. That's why she's teasing him.”

“Hmm.”

Maria leaned closer to Michael and ran her hand down his bicep. “Listen, I’m just going to go show my face and then we go back upstairs again. You can show me how straight you are.”

“OK. Don't be long.”

“I won't.”

Michael watched her until she was out of sight and then went back to watching Max and Liz. Max had an expression of anguished frustration on his face as Liz was once again dancing sexily against him.

Normally, Michael would have been happy to let Liz have her fun and mess with Max's head. But Michael felt that he owed Max. He had messed things up for Max that morning when he lobbed the gob without looking to see who Max was talking to. So he caught Max's attention and beckoned him over.

Max told Liz he'd be back in a minute, then came over to Michael, keeping an eye out for the guy who'd been sniffing around her earlier. “What's up?”

“Liz knows you're straight,” Michael told him bluntly. “Maria knew we were lying straight away. That whole performance earlier was just to mess with us. Well, me probably. You were just collateral damage. But she told Liz and looks like Liz is having some fun of her own.”

“Are you serious?” Max asked.

Michael nodded.

“Huh.” Max looked over at Liz who was smiling and beckoning him back to the floor. “That's interesting.”

“Yep.”

Max grinned. “Well, two can play at that game.”
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

We know they know that he doesn't know she knows he knows th

Post by nibbles2 »

This is the penultimate chapter. Only one more to go.

begonia9508 Yeah, Max is just going to have to live with the rumours.

Earth2Mama It won't take long.

MP Thank you.

Somewhere87 Funny you should mention that clip...

clueless thanks for reading.

Alien_Friend Thank you.

behrlyliz I definitely think that Max is due some payback.

sarammlover thank you.

keepsmiling7 Thanks.

FSU/MSW-94 Thanks for reading.

xilaj Aw, thank you.

natalie36 thanks

nitpick thanks

HypnotiqBlueEyes thank you.

Dreamon Thanks

I've borrowed or paraphrased a line from as episode of Friends. I think you'll all know the line.

We know they know that he doesn't know she knows he knows they don't know.

“I feel like I’m repeating myself, but if you're going to convince Liz that you're gay then you're going to have to do a better job,” Michael said.

“Huh?” Max asked. He was only half-listening to Michael as his eyes were riveted on Liz who was dancing sensuously to a slow number.

Michael punched his shoulder. “You're drooling right now.”

Max wiped his mouth and glared at Michael. “She's not even looking at me, so I can stare all I like.”

But this time it was Michael who wasn't paying attention. He was watching as Maria flitted through the crowd on her way back to him. A smile played on his lips.

“Hey, can you be a little more discreet please? I still have to write this cursed article,” Max reminded him.

“Hey guys,” Maria said brightly as she joined them. “Michael, I’ve made my mandatory appearance and everybody has seen me, so lets go destroy that mattress.”

“OK,” Michael agreed easily. He cast a look at Max. “We'll have to leave separately so that we can keep up the pretense that Max likes it up the ass.”

Max glared at Michael who just winked in return.

“Alrighty, I’ll just go say goodnight to Liz then, and I’ll meet you up there,” Maria said.

Max grabbed her arm, he didn't want Maria to say anything that would obstruct his plan to screw with Liz a little. A moment of inspiration struck. “Uh, listen, please don't say anything to Liz about me really being straight. I want to be the one to tell her the truth, the full truth.”

There was a moment's silence, then Maria beamed and hugged Max. “I won't.”

“Do you think she'll say anything?” Max asked.

“Hard to tell,” Michael shrugged. “On the one hand, Maria is genuinely evil. But on the other hand, I think getting you and Liz together has always been her endgame plan so I think she'll let you be the one to tell her.”

“Cool.”

Michael slapped him on the back and drained his drink. “I'm going to go make love to my woman.” He stopped and shook his head. “Wow, I think I’ve had too much to drink.”

Max laughed, not believing him for a second. “Good night, lover.”

Michael roared with laughter as he left. Max went back to watching Liz.

On the dance floor, Maria spotted Michael leave and decided to follow quickly. “Liz, I’m going to go. Micheal’s waiting for me.”

Liz stopped what she was doing, her facial expression completely serious now. “Maria, just be careful OK. I don't want to see you get hurt again.”

“I'm just having some fun,” Maria told her flippantly. “You have fun too, but don't give Max too much of a hard time. I think he wants to talk to you.”

“See you tomorrow,” Liz said. She kissed Maria's cheek and went back to dancing.

As she passed Max on the way out, Maria stopped for a moment. “Keep an eye on her. Make sure she gets to bed safely.”

“I will,” Max promised. He grinned. Time to put 'Operation Retribution' into action. He sashayed onto the floor just as a Justin Bieber song came on. He hated that fucking little pip-squeak with the fire of a thousand burning songs and that had only increased after he'd been forced to write on article on the little boy/girl for the magazine that included learning one of his songs for a video feature on their website. God damn Tess. What was it with evil women making his life hell?

He grabbed Liz's hand. “Dance with me, I love this song.”

Liz stared at him in astonishment as he danced and sang along to all the words of the song. He was trying be as camp as he could be. “Baby, baby, ooh. Come on, dance, Liz.”

Liz shook herself out of her stupor. He was still pretending, she told herself.

By the time the song ended, Max was panting hard from the exertion of dancing. “Oooh, I need to sit down and catch my breath,” he said.

“Let's sit,” Liz agreed.

“Don't tell anyone,” Max whispered in her ear as they walked back to the table. “But, I have a little crush on that boy.”

“Really?” Liz laughed.

“Oh yeah. Don't tell Michael, please. He'd never talk to me again.”

“Michael doesn't think he's cute?” Liz smiled.

“He's not really Micheal’s type,” Max told her.

“So, um, you wanted to talk?” Liz reminded Max.

Max pretended that he'd forgotten about that. “Oh yeah. Oh, it's not really important now.”

“Why not?” Liz asked.

“The matter resolved itself,” Max answered.

“Oh.” Liz looked puzzled.

“Do you want to take a walk? I need some fresh air,” Max said.

“We're outside,” Liz laughed. But she allowed him to lead her away from the party and towards the garden where it was quieter.

“So...” Liz prompted. “What did you mean about the matter being resolved?”

Max looked around to make sure nobody else was in hearing distance. “You know where Maria is right now, right?”

“With Michael?” Liz said.

“Yeah. So, you know he's not gay?”

Liz nodded.

“Ok. Good. I just wanted to make sure that you knew. He was only pretending for my sake and I didn't want to screw up his chances with Maria. He really likes her and he was already running at a disadvantage.”

“Maria never thought you guys were gay. She figured it out right away. I think she had a little fun at your expense. Well, Micheal’s expense but you got caught in the crossfire. She reckons you were just pretending to be gay for one of your articles..”

Max frowned and pretended to be confused. “Liz, I’m not pretending to be gay. I am gay.”

Liz laughed, but the smile slid off her face. “Uh... really?”

“Yes.” Max nodded. “Did Michael say that I was straight? I guess it's because I haven't come out to my family yet and he didn't want it getting back to them before I had a chance to tell them.”

“You really are gay?” Liz asked.

“Would a straight guy know all the words to a Justin Bieber song?”

Liz gave a hollow laugh. “No, I guess not.”

“I've been trying to work up the courage to come out for a while now. This wedding was one of my first public outings in a non-gay environment. I dragged Michael along for support. Poor guy, he's been such a good friend to me.”

“And Maria tortured him for it,” Liz said with a sad smile.

Max chuckled. “I think he'll agree it was worth it. Listen, I want to thank you.”

“Me?”

“Yeah. For being so open and accepting of all this. It gives me courage for when I go back to Roswell.”

Liz smiled a more genuine smile this time. “It'll be fine. A guy admitting he's been anally probed is hardly big news in Roswell.”

Max coughed and spluttered. He was so shocked that Liz Parker had made an anal joke.

She patted him on the back. “But there are going to be a lot of disappointed Roswell girls.”

“I doubt it.”

“No, really. There's going to be a lot of disappointed girls in Roswell when they hear this. Trust me,” Liz told me. She stood up and took him by the hand. “Come on, let's go back. They might play another Justin song.”
After Max's revelation, the wedding lost it's lustre for Liz. The band suddenly sounded like a second rate garage band. Their choice of music too predictable and boring. The dancefloor was too crowded. And no amount of orange cocktails helped.

She tried to have fun, but as she watched Max shaking his tushie on the floor, Liz just felt sad and empty. After Maria had persuaded her that Max was straight and just pretending to be gay, Liz had been fantasizing about what it would be like when she moved to New York. She'd been picturing them going to picnics in the park, ice skating in the winter, going to the top of the Empire State building on Valentine's day. In short, pretty much every cliché she'd ever seen in every romantic, sappy movie she'd ever seen that was set in New York.

But then, Puff. They'd gone in the instant that Max had admitted the truth to her.

Now she'd never get to kiss Max, or walk hand in hand with him through the park, or cuddle up with him as they took a moonlight ferry ride together. She wished she was at home so she could change into her jammies, devour a pint of ice cream and wail along to Adele's album.

“Are you OK? You gotten very quiet,” Max said. “Girlfriend.”

Liz forced a smile. “I'm sorry. I’m fine. I guess I’m just tired. It was a busy week for me.”

“Oh. Do you want to call it a night?” Max asked.

Liz bit her lip. “I think I will. But you can stay if you want. Don't leave on my account.”

“Nah, I’ll come with you,” Max told her. “I'm tired too. Didn't sleep great last night. Michael snores.”

“So I’ve heard,” Liz said wryly.

Max laughed and linked his arm through hers. “The boy is cute and I could look at him all night long, but I’d need to invest in ear plugs.”

“Right,” Liz said awkwardly. “I'll just get my purse.”

Twenty minutes later, they were safely ensconced in the bus on the way back to the hotel. There were two other couples on the bus; average age, sixty-eight. Max and Liz laughed at their own lameness.

“Max, are you dating anybody?” Liz asked as the bus turned onto the gravel avenue.

“No, nobody.”

“So there's nobody special?”

“Well, I wouldn't say nobody...” Max said. “There's a special somebody I’ve liked for a while now.”

“But you haven't done anything about it?” Liz asked.

“Not yet. I’m waiting for the right time,” Max told her.

Liz gave him a small smile. “Don't wait too long, Max.”

“I won't,” he agreed.

The bus came to a stop and Max hopped off quickly. He held his hand out to Liz and helped her down from the bus. He didn't let go of her hand as they climbed the steps into the hotel, so Liz held on tight.

It was only when they were in the elevator that Max seemed to realize that he was still holding her hand and he dropped it with a blush. Liz's room was one floor below where Max was staying but he insisted on getting off at her floor and walking her to her room.

“Well thanks,” Liz said. She nervously shifted her feet. “I had a good time hanging out with you.”

“Me too. You totally have to come clubbing with me when you come to New York. I know all the best gay clubs.”

Liz looked down. She could feel the tears forming. She blinked them away and reached up to kiss Max's cheek. “Good night, Max.”

“Good night, Liz.”

Liz let herself into the room and slumped against the door. It took her a minute before she was able to move. She set about her night time routine methodically. Focusing on each task as if her life depended on it. She slipped out of her dress, peeled off her control underwear, pulled on her pyjamas, then removed her make up, cleansed and washed before applying her night cream. Finally, she unpinned her hair and brushed it out, counting a hundred strokes before she was finished.

When she was all done, the tears came again and this time there was nothing to hold them back. She had the phone in her hand and was dialling Maria's number before she even thought about it. Calling Maria was just a reflex action.

She had to call three times before Maria finally answered.

Jesus Christ, Liz, you better be dying,” Maria said into the phone.

“Maxisreallygay,” Liz wailed into the phone.

What? Liz, I told you to stick to the orange cocktails.”

“I'm not drunk,” Liz sobbed. “But Max is really gay. He told me after you and Michael left.”

“Wait. What?” There was a muffled sound and low murmuring, Liz could hear Micheal’s voice but she couldn't make out what he was saying. After a couple of minutes, Maria came back on the phone. And she was laughing. “Liz, Max is not gay. He's screwing with you.

Liz stopped crying mid-sob. “What?”

Michael told him that we knew they were lying so now he's just screwing with you. He's totally straight and totally into you.”

“Really? But no, he was singing Justin Bieber songs.”

Even the gays don't like Bieber,” Maria tutted. “Hang on.” There was more scuffling and then Michael came on the phone. “Liz, Max is straight.”.

“Seriously?” Liz said incredulously. “Max was messing with me?”

I guess so,” Maria said. “But, he doesn't know you know he knows you know.”

It took Liz a moment to process that. But she could hear the evil in Maria's voice. “What do you have in mind?”
Max scrubbed his hand over his face and stared at himself in the bathroom mirror. Then he slapped himself. What had he been thinking? He had Liz in his arms, they were at a wedding, walking in a beautiful garden lit by romantic lanterns. It was the perfect time to declare his feelings for her. And what did he do? He'd told her he was gay.

“Fucking, stupid, idiotic, moronic, dumbass.”

His self-bashing was interrupted by a knock on the bedroom door. He stepped out of the bathroom, his bare foot landing on a folded piece of paper that must have been pushed under the door. He picked it up and opened the door at the same time.

He did a double take. “Um, Gregar?”

“Hi there, beeyotch,” Gregar squealed. He blatantly ogled Max's bare chest. “I was super excited when I got your message but now I’m extra-super-divine excited.” He sashayed into the room and sat on the bed.

Max grabbed a bathrobe and pulled it on. “What are you doing here?”

“I got your message about hooking up,” Gregar clapped his hands. “This is going to be so awesome. How do you want me. On my knees? Bent over the desk? On the bed? I’m up for literally anything. Except scat play. I don't do that.”

“Jesus.” Max resisted the urge to cover his ears. “Um... I think there's been a misunderstanding, I don't even have your number.”

Gregar pouted. “Oh, boo. I guess it was cupid.”

“Yeah...” Max glanced down at the sheet of paper in his hand and unfolded it.

Hi Max, finding the love of your life is wonderful. But it's OK to have a little fun too. And you're guaranteed a fun time with Gregar. Liz. xxx

He sighed. Crap.

“Gregar, I’m sorry. I'm-” Max was cut off by the sound of his phone. “Excuse me.” He grabbed the phone and saw Micheal’s name on the screen. “Hello.”

Dude, it's me.

“I know. Why are you calling me? I thought you'd be doing unspeakable things to Maria right now. And why are you whispering?”

We're just taking a break. And I don't want Maria to hear me, so I’m in the bathroom.

“OK. What's going on?”

Liz and Maria know that you know they know you know they know.

“What?”

Liz and Maria know that you know they know you know they know.

Max worked out what Michael had just said. “You mean, they know that I was just pretending to be gay? Again.”

Yep,” Michael confirmed. “They're going to get their caterer friend to show up at your room to come on to you.

“He's already here.”

Oh...So the way I see it, you have two options. One, you keep this up and you get Gregarious to have loud, fake, gay sex with you. Or two, you stop being a pussy and you go tell Liz how you really feel about her. And then you have loud, real, dirty sex with her.

“You're right,” Max agreed.

You're going for door number two right? Because.... I’m coming, baby.” Michael terminated the call abruptly.

Max grinned. Then his eyes landed on the other man in the room who had been eavesdropping unashamedly. “Um, I’m going to have to take a rain check.”

Greg laughed. “Are you sure? Because I think there's a lot to be said for the fake, gay sex option.”

“Thanks, but I’ll pass.”

Greg left. Max paused just long enough to brush his teeth and apply some cologne before he too left the room and took the stairs down to Liz's floor.

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves before he knocked on her bedroom door.

She opened it almost at once. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw him.

Max sucked in a lungful of air. She looked so incredibly beautiful. “I'm not gay. I’m one hundred percent straight. And I’m one hundred percent in love with you.”

“Thank God,” Liz exclaimed. She grabbed him by the collar of his bathrobe and hauled him into the room.

Finally there was no more pretence between them. And in very quick time, there was no clothes between them either.
Last edited by nibbles2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

And in Conclusion

Post by nibbles2 »

So, we've reached the end of the road for Plus One. Thank you for reading and leaving feedback, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's been a fun fic to write. The plan now is to get back to Gold Diggers and hopefully, finally finish the fecking thing.

Toodles.

And in Conclusion

Michael was woken by the sound of a hair dryer. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and pushed himself up on his elbow to watch Maria for a moment.

He wondered why she was up already. It wasn't even nine yet, brunch wasn't until eleven and usually Maria liked to stay in bed until the last possible moment. When they had dated, or whatever, Maria loved cuddling in the morning. Of course, he'd liked the cuddling too, mainly because it often led on to other things.

He climbed out of the bed, pulled on a bathrobe and padded over to where she was sitting. He met her eyes in the mirror and smiled. “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” Maria replied neutrally.

He bent down to kiss her, but Maria jerked away from him and he ended up tonguing her ear. His heart sank. He should have known it was too good to be true.

“Can we talk?” He asked.

Maria blinked in surprise and shut off the hair dryer. “I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of that. Did you say talk?”

“Yeah.” Michael grabbed another chair and pulled it over to the dressing table. “About us. About last night.”

“Oh, that,” Maria rolled her eyes. “Don't worry, Michael. I’m not going to bring up the 'R' word. It was just a one time thing, no big deal.” She turned to the mirror and switched on the hair dryer again.

Michael took it from her and turned it off. “I don't want it to be a one time thing. I want it to be a big deal. I want a relationship with you.”

Maria's mouth fell open, but she shut it quickly and a range of emotions flitted across her face. Surprise, happiness, fury, shock.

He picked up her hand and held it in his. “I know that I don't deserve another chance, after how I treated you the last time. I was a fucking idiot back then. I was scared shitless of how I felt for you. But I’m not scared of that anymore. The only thing I’m scared of now is that you won't give me another chance.”

Maria ripped her hand from his. “Why should I give you a chance? You broke my heart, Michael. How do I know that you won't do the same again?”

She stood up to pace the room, but Michael grabbed her by the shoulders and held her in front of him.

“I was a kid back then. I was too immature and too stupid to handle a relationship like the one you wanted. I didn't think I was good enough for you,” he said. “But I’m not that kid anymore. I've grown up, I've matured.”

Maria snorted.

“No, I have,” Michael protested. “I have a good job. I have my own place. Granted it's about half the size of this bedroom, but it's my own place. I do volunteer work once a week. I... Would the old me have willingly agreed to be Max's gay boyfriend this week? Would I have come to a wedding, held his hand in public, danced with him, wore a suit for him?”

There was the ghost of a smile on Maria's lips. “He didn't blackmail you?”

“No. I did it because I owed him a favour, a huge favour,” he smiled hopefully at her. “If I can be a good boyfriend to Max, I think I've proved that I can be a good boyfriend to you.”

“You had sex with me while you were dating Max,” Maria joked.

Michael grinned. “Eh, we had an open relationship.”

Maria laughed and Michael took the opportunity to pull her to him and kiss her. This time she allowed him to, and responded eagerly.

But when they pulled apart, there was still some doubt on her face. “I don't know, Michael. It's still hard to trust you.”

“I know. That's fair,” he agreed. He's pretty much agree to anything she said right now. He was so close to getting her back and he wasn't going to fuck it up this time. “All I’m asking for is a chance. I'll prove to you that I’m serious, and that you can trust me. I'll do anything to prove it to you.”

A smile spread slowly on Maria's lips. “Anything?”

Fuck, he'd walked right into that one.
Max and Liz had decided to take a walk in the hotel grounds before going to brunch. While the hotel's garden was nowhere near as spectacular as the Davis Estate, it did offer lots of privacy. So Max and Liz were able to walk hand in hand, and duck behind bushes and trees to steal kisses without Max having to worry about his cover being blown.

Not that there was many people around that early. Most of the wedding guests were still in bed sleeping off the late night and the copious amounts of cocktails they'd consumed.

“You know, I feel great this morning,” Liz said. “I don't even have a headache, which is pretty unusual for me after I've been drinking. How many cocktails did I have last night?”

Max grinned. “You had four of the alcoholic ones, then Maria switched you over to the kiddie cocktails and after that all you drank was fruit juice.”

“Oh.” Liz blushed adorably and Max couldn't help but pull her into his arms and kiss her.

He felt giddy with happiness and excitement. “I can't believe we're together,” he exclaimed. “I've dreamed about it for years and it's actually come true. It's amazing.”

“I know,” Liz agreed. “I feel like I’m a princess in a fairytale. Like, if I sang, bluebirds would join in.”

Max laughed. He knew the feeling. “I've been in love with you for so long.”

“Since when? When did you first fall in love with me?” Liz asked, genuinely curious.

“I think it was the first time I saw you,” he admitted. “It was the first day of school and I climbed down from the bus and you were playing with Maria. I knew there was something special about you right away.”

“Max!” Liz laughed. “You were six. A six-year-old does not fall in love at first sight.”

“What can I say? I was a very advanced child,” Max grinned. “OK, maybe it wasn't love, but you fascinated me. The first time I realized I was in love with you was when we were twelve and you were doing a book report on To kill a mocking bird. You were wearing a yellow top and a pair of jeans. You loved the book so much that you talked non-stop for twenty minutes. And I knew I loved you.”

Liz smiled and kissed him sweetly. “Thank you.”

“Also, it was the first time you wore a bra.”

“Jerk,” Liz squealed. She slapped him on the shoulder playfully.

Max wrapped his arm around her and held her close. “When did you fall for me?”

“Actually, it wasn't until Freshman year of high school,” Liz said. “We were in the library and you were working on an algebra problem and it was besting you. You kept biting the pen and running your fingers through your hair. And that was it for me.”

“Wow, so you liked me in high school?” Max shook his head, mentally berating himself. “So much wasted time.”

“How come you never asked me out?” Liz asked. “Maria used to always say that you liked me. I didn't really believe her, but she was very insistent. So I waited and waited. But you never asked me out.”

“I don't know. I was too shy, I guess,” Max confessed. “Or maybe I'd gotten so used to watching you from afar that I never thought to try something different. But, I’m going to put that right now.”

He plucked a flower from a nearby bush and stood in front of Liz. “Liz Parker, will you go out with me?”

“Yes, I’d love to,” Liz said as she accepted the flower. She put it behind her ear then wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.
By the time they made it back to the hotel, most of the guests had managed to drag themselves out of bed and were milling around the veranda waiting for brunch to be served. Max and Liz found a small table for four in a quiet corner and waited for Michael and Maria to join them.

“I can't believe that we've just gotten together and you're jetting off to Mexico in a couple of hours,” Max whined in a low voice.

“I know. And it's another four weeks until Maria and I move to New York,” Liz added. “But, we've waited this long, another month isn't going to kill us. Right?”

“I guess not,” Max said with an exaggerated pout. “Though I might die of jealousy thinking of you at the beach surrounded by hot guys in bath suits rubbing sun cream on your back.”

Liz laughed. “Max, we're going with our mothers. So the worst we'll be doing is looking at the hot guys. Besides, I’m going to be jealous too, thinking of you in Central Park surrounded by hot guys in shorts and t-shirts, checking out your fine ass.”

“I promise, I'll stick to the 'You can look but don't touch rule' if you do.”

“Agreed.”

They shook hands solemnly and laughed.

“There's Maria,” Liz exclaimed, and waved to catch Maria's attention.

Maria waved back and wound her way through the tables to join them. “Hey guys,” she said as she plonked down beside Liz.

“Where's Michael?” Max asked. He hoped that Michael hadn't made a mess of things already.

“He went upstairs to change,” Maria said with a smile that Max found unsettling. “So, what's the lie of the land here? Have you two bumped uglies or what?”

“There was nothing ugly about it,” Liz said. Then she grinned cheekily. “But we totally did.”

Maria squealed with happiness and hugged her. “About time. Let's go get breakfast before Michael comes down and eats everything.”

They joined the small line at the buffet table just as Michael entered the veranda.

“Hey guys,” he greeted. He took one look at the smile on Max's face and knew. “So, I take it that means you finally did something about your Liz infatuation?”

“Yup,” Max beamed with pride.

“About time.”

Max and Liz laughed.

“Michael,” Maria said, an edge to her voice and that unsettling smile back on her face. Max was suddenly very nervous.

“Maria,” Michael pleaded.

“Do it,” she ordered.

“Do what?” Max asked.

Michael answered his question by grabbing Max, pulling him close and planting one on his lips. Unlike the very brief kiss they'd shared the morning before in the hotel lobby, this one was long. Even worse, Max could feel Michael's hand slowly slide down his back and then cup his butt.

Max pulled away then, trying not to make it too obvious.

“Sorry,” Michael sighed quietly. “She made me do it.” He pointed at Maria who looked completely delighted with herself.

Max glanced at Liz. Her face had turned pink and she was giggling. She looked like she'd enjoyed the show as much as Maria had, which mollified Max somewhat.

“Happy?” Michael asked Maria.

“Supremely.”

They got their breakfast and made their way back to the table. Once there, Maria pulled out a phone. “Instant replay.”

Michael and Max paled. Liz and Maria crowded together over the screen and watched the video on Maria's phone.

“That was hot,” Liz said, she took the phone from Maria to watch it again.

“You videoed it?” Michael accused.

“D'uh,” Maria said with a flick of her hair. “Don't worry. I’m not going to post it on Youtube or anything. It's purely for my own viewing pleasure.”

“And mine too,” Liz said and she held up her own phone and showed that now she had it too.

Max wiggled his eyebrows at her. “Like that do you?”

“I don't think I believe you,” Michael told Maria. She was just evil enough to post it on the net.

“You've nothing to worry about,” Maria assured him. “I don't want anybody to think I’m dating a gay guy. But, you break my heart again and I’m going to make Brody buy me some time on a screen in Times Square and that's going up.”

“She's do it too,” Michael said as an aside to Max.

“Then don't be stupid again,” Max recommended. “Besides, so what if people think you're gay? Is it really the worst thing in the world?”

Michael considered it for a moment. “I guess not,” he said after a while.
Max and Michael had to get ready to leave for the airport shortly after brunch so the girls accompanied them upstairs to help them pack and to say goodbye in private as they wouldn't be able to say it the way the wanted to in public.

“It's only a couple of weeks,” Liz reminded Max as they clung to each other, hating the idea of letting go. “And then we can be together whenever we want.”

“I know,” he sighed against her hair. “I miss you already.”

“Max, we have to go,” Michael called.

Max and Liz kissed once more then tore themselves away from each other.

Michael kissed Maria and then smiled at her. “Just think, the next time you see me, I’ll be straight.”

“I think I’m going to miss gay Michael,” Maria said with a sigh.

The couples shared one more kiss before the reluctantly left the room and went downstairs to the lobby where Brody and Ikuko were saying goodbye to all the departing guests. Max and Michael made their way over to them and shook their hands.

“Thank you for having us, we had a wonderful time,” Max said.

“Thank you, Max,” Brody said. He nodded to Michael as she stepped up to shake Brody's hand. “And Michael, I hope you had a good time too.”

“Best wedding, ever,” Michael assured him genuinely.

Brody puffed out his chest and smiled. “Good to hear.”

“Ready to go?” Max asked Michael. He held out his hand to him.

Michael slid his hand into Max's and they intertwined their fingers. They climbed aboard the bus and waved at Liz and Maria until the bus rounded a corner and the hotel was out of sight.

They relaxed into their seats. There were a few others on the bus so they still had to pretend to be a couple, but they didn't feel the need to perform now.

“That went well,” Max said.

Michael nodded. “Better than expected. We make a good couple.”

Max laughed. “It's almost a shame that we have to break up.”

“Yeah...” Michael shook his head. “But we do have four more weeks before the girls get to New York. That's twenty-eight days.”

“Then we'll take those twenty-eight days and we'll live twenty-eight lifetimes,” Max said as earnestly as he could muster.

Michael chuckled. “Sap.”

Max grinned at him. “You know, I have another wedding, the weekend before Liz gets in. I was going to ask Tess to come with me, but would you like to be my plus one?”

“Not even a little bit.”