Behind the Glamour ~ADULT~ m/l COMPLETE

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Episode Twenty-One

Elizabeth was not going to let her husband’s death stop her from enjoying her life with Maxwell. Nathaniel died with peace of mind and that was as much as she could ask for.

It was a Wednesday morning, two weeks after Nathaniel had died and she was out walking Damien in his pram. Nathaniel’s parents had returned to their home and so had hers. The weather was rotten—the sky a thunderous deep gray with even darker tumbles of clouds. Across the horizon she could see the olive-colored hills and vast fields preparing themselves for the downpour that was sure to come.

Elizabeth walked on, unafraid of the weather. The dampness in the air was clearing her head and though chilly to her revealed chest, the coldness left her feeling strangely refreshed. Damien refused to sleep however seemed very peaceful amusing himself with his small wooden toy. He was getting so big, she thought fondly.

She reached the town and welcomed the new atmosphere of cobblestone grounds and brick shops. She strolled practically alone down the pathway, staring into the glass windows and assessing the newest fashions. The occasional person stopped to inquire after her and Damien then offer their respect at how well she was doing after her loss. She thanked them and continued on.

Birkbeck Park seemed so empty now that Nathaniel was no longer there. Sometimes Elizabeth simply strolled around the halls, through all the rooms, expecting to find him somewhere. It was such a large house, she only now realized. Nathaniel seemed to have taken up so much space; sometimes so much that Elizabeth had felt claustrophobic. Like he was surrounding her, suffocating her. Now he was acutely gone and she was achingly alone.

Days kept going by without word from Maxwell. She knew he had been waiting for her to approach him, being patient until she recovered and was ready for him. The thing was, she had given him word, three days before but he had not replied. This worried her only slightly, there would be a good reason for his absence.

She could not stay in this town after they married. They could move anywhere, for all she cared, just as long as they did not stay here.

There were little specks of water sporadically falling on her cheeks and nose now. She ignored them and continued walking, not even realizing her destination until she got there.

When Elizabeth lifted her head she found she was standing in front of the largest building in the village. It was the law firm where Nathaniel had worked, where Maxwell still worked. Next door was the men’s club and that’s where most of the working were resided at the moment, for it was lunch time and any instance when they could have a gin and tonic and a cigar was a good time. She could see them through the windows and hear them talking loudly. The fires were blazing and there was not a woman in sight, they were not allowed in the haven.

She stood there, getting wetter by the second until someone noticed her and came out the front door. “Why Ms Samson!” It was Dr. Maynard Hobson. He had been always been a good friend of hers. “Pray, what on earth has entered your head? It is raining dearest! You shall catch a frightful cold! Come with me.” A group of men watched from the doorway as Maynard led her into the law offices. When they saw she was alright they all went back inside quickly to resume their drinking.

Maxwell was in the men’s club by the fire talking with Andrew Clarke about the case they were working on. Two men walked past and his ears perked up. “She must be crazy, now that Nathaniel has past away. Poor girl—”

“I beg you pardon,” he said. “What are you talking about?”

“Ms Elizabeth Samson was standing out in the rain, foolish woman! Maynard rushed out there to get her under shelter,” one of them replied.

Maxwell stood up from his chair, trying to stay calm. “Where did he take her?”

“Next door.”

“Where are you going?” Andrew asked. “Do not be concerned, Maynard will keep her—”

“You will excuse me,” Maxwell interrupted him. “We will finish our discussion later?” He hurried next door and walked through the lobby. Elizabeth was sitting on one of the leather seats by the large fireplace with Maynard standing in front of her, offering her tea. The chandeliers were bright but the floors were marble so naturally it was not the warmest place to be.

“I apologize,” he heard her saying. “I mustn’t have been thinking properly. I hate to be a nuisance.”

“No, never,” Maynard said. “My wife has been asking after you, she was unable to make it to the funeral and keeps meaning to ask you over for dinner.”

“How kind of her, tell her I would be delighted.”

That’s when he chose to interrupt. “Is everything alright?”

Elizabeth felt her heart jump when she heard him. She did not need to see him to know who it was.

“Maxwell,” Maynard said. “Ms Elizabeth here just got a little wet from the rain.” Damien had fallen asleep finally in his pram.

Maxwell’s eyes were boring into hers. “What on earth were you doing out walking on a foul day like this one, Elizabeth?”

“I believe I was clearing my head,” she answered simply.

“More like dampening it!” Maynard chuckled, as if it was the funniest thing he’d ever heard.

“I would be glad to keep her company, if you would like to get back to your drink?” Maxwell offered to Maynard. He looked so beautiful, Elizabeth thought fondly. His strong build and broad shoulders always succeeded in making her feel warm inside. She would never be cold again as long as he was around.

“You will make sure she gets home?” Maynard asked.

Maxwell answered, “Indeed.”

“How very kind of you, take care Elizabeth. My wife will be in touch.” He left rather quickly, Elizabeth thought amusedly. Maxwell came close to her and squatted down so his eyes were level with hers.

“Dear, what possessed you to endanger your health and Damien’s in this way?” he was exceptionally serious. “You will become unwell, and then what would we do with you? The baby?” His voice was so soft she thought she would die from loving him so much. “How is my son?” he stood up again and pulled Damien out of his pram, causing him to wake. “He is becoming quite large.”

“He is the splitting image of his father,” Elizabeth told him softly.

Damien started to cry and Maxwell patted him on the back gently. “Come now, there is no need for that. How was your slumber, little one? Well I suppose that name isn’t appropriate anymore, you are indeed more akin to a big one.”

“I suppose he is hungry,” Elizabeth said.

“We must do something about that then,” Maxwell fixed his son’s jacket tighter around him. “Are you cold, Damien?”

There were not many people around but the occasional person carrying papers glanced at them twice as they went about their own thing. Not caring, Elizabeth requested Maxwell put Damien down and focus his attention on her for just another moment. He did as was told and squatted in front of her once more. She took his hands and wrapped hers around them on her lap. Her eyes could not leave his.

“Did you come here to see me?” he asked just as gently.

She swallowed. Could she find her voice? “I think I may have.”

“Why did you not just write me?” he asked, caressing her fingers. “I would have come instantly.”

Her face crinkled in disbelief. “I did write you! Three days previously.”

His voice even, he replied, “I did not receive word from you.”

Elizabeth could not continue sitting upright another second if she did not feel his mouth on hers. “Kiss me,” she begged in a whisper.

Maxwell was surprised because he glanced around briefly and saw that everyone was watching them. “There are—”

“I do not begin to care,” she smiled brightly.

He leaned forward and pressed his soft lips to hers for a moment. Her stomach did flip flops until he pulled back and said, “Tessa.”

“I beg your pardon?” Elizabeth frowned. “Tessa?”

He lifted one of his hands out of her grasp and stroked her face. “It must have been Tessa who received the letter. She must have it.”

Making the decision for the both of them, Elizabeth said, “We must leave, Maxwell.”

“You are ready?” he asked caringly.

“Very much so.”

“Now?”

Now,” she said surely.

~*~

They decided to eat first. Maxwell suggested they go to her residence but Elizabeth could not imagine Maxwell sitting at Nathaniel’s place at their table. It would certainly make Nathaniel roll over in his grave. They went to a restaurant.

Elizabeth watched as Maxwell focused his attention on Damien throughout the meal. She had a little smile on her face; it was so nice to see the incredible devotion in Maxwell’s eyes when he stared at his son. She wondered if he looked at her that way.

He was worried that she would become distressed if acquaintances saw them out and about together. She quickly eased his concerns, she was beyond caring. All she wanted was to be with him, and as she saw it, she had waited long enough.

Maxwell didn’t think it would be a good idea for Elizabeth to come back to Austen Park with him. Tessa would be there and he wanted to leave as quietly as possible. “I would hate for her to start a quarrel with you,” he explained. “It would be best if I were to simply collect a few things and leave. You agree?”

“Indeed,” Liz said. “I will gather my things while you are gone.”

They had a plan. Maxwell had already set up a residence in London the month before, just as he had told her he would. It had been waiting for them fully furnished with staff maintaining it daily.

“Or perhaps you would prefer to stay with the Guerin’s for the remainder of the week?” Maxwell stroked her hand in the carriage. Cupped in his muscular arm was Damien, playing quietly.

“No,” Elizabeth answered. “I want to go straight home.”

“Home,” Max repeated and then said nothing else.

When Elizabeth entered Birkbeck Park she called all the staff into the office and announced that she would be moving to London. They weren’t shocked; she had spoken of it before to Rochelle who had, of course, told them. The maids all followed Elizabeth to her chamber to help her pack, offering their personal opinions on what they thought were her best gowns, shoes, hats and more. Abigail tended to Damien.

“I believe it would best if I did not take quite so much,” Elizabeth said. “I will send for the rest.”

Amanda prepared some tea that she drank in the room over-looking the drive way. She wanted to know as soon as Maxwell arrived. He was taking quite a while, she was worried.

When he finally arrived the maids showed the drivers where to find her things that needed to be loaded onto the carriage. As soon as Elizabeth greeted Maxwell she saw something was the matter. “Oh dear,” she came to him speedily. “What ever is wrong?”

Maxwell forced a smile. “Nothing is wrong. We are leaving, I am happy.”

She tilted her head to the side and studied his face. “I believe you are being untruthful.”

“No,” he said. “I just had an unpleasant encounter with Tessa, that is all.”

Elizabeth took his hands and led him to the divan so they could sit down. “Tell me about it, please?”

“This one too,” Maxwell handed his dark stone jacket to his butler to be packed.

“Yes sir.”

The door suddenly creaked open. “What are you doing?” Tessa asked. Her voice was distressed.

“You are not dim-witted, Tessa. I believe you recognize what I am doing.” Maxwell went about pulling garments out of the closet for his butler, not bothering to look at his wife.

“You cannot leave,” she cried loudly, rushing across the room to him. “I am your wife, you cannot leave me!”

She put her hands on his arm and he snatched it away.

“You are not my wife,” he said.

She recoiled, hurt and started to sob openly. “All I ever wanted was your love. My entire life I sought after you. How can you be so selfish?”

“I am selfish?” Maxwell spat. “How dare you.”

Tessa cried into her hands. “Why can you not love me?”

Maxwell was not a mean or uncaring man but Tessa did not deserve his forgiveness and he was not about to give it. “You will have good revenue, you will live here contently. Do not worry.”

“Live here?” she yelled. “I would do no such thing! I will be eternally humiliated!”

“That is your dilemma,” Maxwell assured her. “I will not feel remorse for you.”

“You are a cold, insufferable man,” she said. “How misjudged I have been.”

“Clearly you have,” Maxwell shot one more, long hard mean look at her. “If you would please leave the room. I have numerous things to do.”

Tessa went to slap him but he caught her wrist in mid air. “I can take a great deal more from you, Tessa,” he said darkly. “Do not tease my temper.”

She stepped back and wiped her eyes with her handkerchief. “I know where you are going,” she said. “Do not begin to believe you will excuse all of this so easily.”

“Nothing about this has been easy,” Maxwell simply said and dismissed her from the room again, this time getting his butler to direct her out.

“Oh dear,” Elizabeth commented. “How horrible for you.”

“Indeed, but it is over,” he said. “Are you prepared to go?”

She nodded. “Will you give me a few moments? I have to do something and I will join you.”

He caressed her cheek. “Take all the time you need.”

!Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Have an awesome time! I'll try and post the epilogue as soon as possible!
100% Pure New Zealand Beef
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

It's finally here, the moment we've all be waiting for...well, I have been waiting for anyway. I hope you guys are still around to read this, it's been a lot of fun writing it I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed it. Thanks for you support throughout this! Hope it's okay....

Conclusion

“Are you fatigued? It has been a trying day, perhaps you should rest?”

Elizabeth turned her eyes away from the darkening horizon and stared at Maxwell. “The carriage is not the most ideal place to sleep.” A smile rested on her lips. She hadn’t been able to remove it since they left Leicester.

“Rest your head on my shoulder, here,” he drew her closer and touched the side of her face with his fingers. “Have you been ill during the pregnancy?”

“Not so much,” she answered, closing her eyes.

“I will take care of you,” he pressed his mouth to her forehead and closed his eyes too.

“That I am certain of.”

Before she had left, Elizabeth had taken a moment to go to the gardens and say goodbye to Nathaniel’s grave. The rain had let up by then but the earth was moist so she could not stay long. She placed her hand on the cold stone and smiled fondly at it, as if it was really him standing in front of her. “It would vex me for you to be watching down in this instant and be perplexed as to my connection with Maxwell,” she said. “I do not recognize how I would relieve your mind but I will inform you, I did love you. Perhaps not as adamantly as you felt for me, however I did always admire you. I will miss you, but I must leave you behind.” She put some flowers down on the soil in-amongst the older wilting ones and read the inscription on the stone once more.

Here lies Nathaniel Samson
Beloved son, husband and father.
Born 1858 Died 1899

When she got back to the house Maxwell was waiting for her. He didn’t ask her where she had gone but he was anxious to leave. “To start our new life,” he corrected her. “I am anxious to start our new life.”

“Alright my love,” Elizabeth had said. “We shall leave now.”

~*~

Tessa was not the only one to cause trouble for the couple once they reached London. Maria eyed them disapprovingly, saying, “You should have had a longer mourning period Lizzie, society will not look kindly upon your union.” Michael was nonchalant about the whole affair; he simply congratulated them and welcomed them with open arms.

It was Maxwell’s parents who objected most firmly to this new arrangement. They came from Nottingham almost as instantly as Tessa informed them. “Maxwell how shameful! Tessa is your wife; you have obligations as her husband,” his father said.

“You cannot divorce; no member of the Evans’ family contracts a divorce!”

“I will not require a divorce,” Maxwell fought for his new life he had just begun with his whole heart. “My marriage to Tessa was never consummated, an annulment will be agreeable.”

“Your marriage was never consummated?” Mrs. Evans expressed her surprise. “Even so! That does not do away with your commitment to her.”

“I was conned into marrying Tessa Harding,” Maxwell said. Elizabeth was in the other room with Damien and he hoped she could not hear his parents’ harsh words. “Elizabeth will from this moment on be seen as my wife…”

“You do not have our permission to wed her,” his father said.

“I do not require your permission and I do not recall ever requesting you give it to me,” Maxwell rubbed his forehead and then walked over to the adjoining doors and opened them. “Elizabeth, dear. Will you bring me Damien?”

Elizabeth looked up from her place at the table where she was reading. “Indeed,” she said nervously and pushed her chair back. “Damien, sweetheart, come here my child.” She lifted him up and walked towards Maxwell.

“Mother, Father, I don’t believe I have introduced you to my son,” Maxwell said.

“This is your young man?!” Diane cried.

“Indeed, as is the child I am currently carrying,” Elizabeth answered for him.

“You had a bastard child?” Diane almost fainted; she fell back onto the divan behind her and placed her hand on her forehead. “Oh dear, oh dear.”

“You had relations with a married woman? Are you no better then your brother? Clearly not!” Philip summoned the maid to bring him his coat. “I have heard quite enough of this revolting set of circumstances.”

Maxwell watched them, unwilling to say anything further. Elizabeth would not let them leave like this, “Maxwell! Will you not do something?”

“I see no need,” he said.

“They are you parents,” Elizabeth pleaded. “Mr. and Mrs. Evans, please may we discuss this like sane adults?”

“I do not see anything more to discuss Ms Samson,” Philip put his hat on his head. “Good day to you.”

Elizabeth stood by the window with her arms crossed over her chest and watched as their carriage moved away. Maxwell came up behind her. “Do not be vexed,” he said.

“Pray, how can I be anything else?” Elizabeth was tearful. “You did not do well in bringing them to accept me. I do not wish to be an unaccepted addition to your family.”

“There would be no other way,” Maxwell said. “We were dealt with an unfair hand and with that we were drawn into these—”

“If only you had not entered into wedlock with Tessa,” Elizabeth suddenly said.

“You are mistaken to believe our situation would be any less difficult if I had not,” Maxwell argued. “Please Liz, you must trust me.”

“I do trust you Maxwell,” Elizabeth turned to face him. “I am apologetic to bring up such trying times when we are just beginning to disregard them…”

“I understand your distress,” he told her. With complete affection, he kissed her lips. “And I respect it. But let us not endure it or allow it to overcome our lives once more.”

“I will forget it from this moment forward,” she said.

“Thank you.”

~*~

Elizabeth woke up to her face being caressed. She opened her eyes and Maxwell was staring down her. “I have had a proposal,” he said.

“Of what nature?” Elizabeth asked tiredly. What time was it? “Have you just arrived home?”

“I have, yes,” he said. “I was required to work late.” Maxwell had started work in the London office of the firm he had worked for back in Leicester. He was sitting on the side of her bed with his arms resting on either side of her. “I am unsure as to how you will react to this…”

“I must admit that I am not used to being presented with decisions,” Elizabeth said. “A husband does not generally give his wife an opportunity to voice her opinions. Therefore, I will feel towards it what you feel.”

He smiled. “My devoted soon-to-be-wife. I feel that on this occasion I must allow you to have a say because it could affect our lives dramatically. We have a new option as to our living situation.”

“We do?” she asked. Her hands went to her hair to check it was not all over the place. “And where may this be?”

“The United States of America,” he said. “I have not made any decisions…”

“This would mean I would no longer be able to see my family,” Elizabeth sat up. “Maxwell…” She thought of the positives of this new situation and the negatives. They would leave behind the gossip that plagued them whenever they entered a room, they would not be rejected by society as they had been…but did her loss of discomfort warrant leaving the country and her whole family?

“I understand the difficulty in this decision,” Maxwell said. “This is why I have not given them my answer.”

“I do not think I can come to a decision like this at the moment.”

“I understand,” he touched her face and tried to calm her. “I wish to simply present you with the idea.”

“Do you desire to go?”

“I do,” he answered. “Although not if it will make you unhappy.”

“Can we discuss this at a later date?” she asked.

“Indeed.” He bent down and kissed her lips passionately. When he pulled away he asked, “Did you speak with Maria today?”

“Yes.” Now Elizabeth had had a taste of him she wanted more. She wrapped her arms around his neck and drew him close so he was on top of her. “She has accepted our situation…I trust she realized that family connections are entirely more significant than reputation.”

His hands touched her thighs through her night-gown but it was not close enough for either of them so he dragged the material up from her ankles. “We could visit from the Americas,” Maxwell whispered breathlessly. “It would not be goodbye forever.”

“Maxwell…” Elizabeth pushed him away and sat up. “Do you wish to go to the Americas quite adamantly?”

Maxwell could not deny his feelings. “I do.”

“Then we shall go,” she said. She wished for a candle so she could see his face.

“Is that what you hope for?” he asked. Excitement was in his voice.

“I wish for you to be contented,” Elizabeth told him truthfully. “No right person could say your life has been evenhanded, my dear. I want nothing but to spend the rest of my life fulfilling your desires.”

She heard his deep intake of breath. “You are so wonderful, my Liz…” his hands wove through her hair and he brought her lips to his. “I adore you…”

~*~

“I do not understand,” Nancy Parker said to her daughter. “I do not see why it is imperative you travel so far away. What of your family…your friends? What of Maxwell’s?”

“Maxwell…” Elizabeth thought hard to find the right choice of words. “Is not on best terms with his family…”

“Because of your situation?” Jeffery asked.

Elizabeth sighed. “Yes, it is true they do not favor me as they do Tessa…”

“My word! How is that so?!” Nancy cried. “You are twice that of Miss Harding…”

Maxwell nodded in agreement. “I see we are of the same mind.” Elizabeth looked at him and smiled. He placed his hand on top of hers. “However, what Elizabeth meant was: my parents do not believe I am right in terminating my marriage. They are afraid society will reject us.” As they have been, he thought.

“Well your circumstances are not what most would call orthodox,” Jeffery muttered.

“Jeffery,” Nancy warned. She knew that with one wrong move she could lose all links with her daughter. She did not want their relationship to be terminated. “You must allow me to write an old acquaintance of mine who lives in New York City. She will introduce you to the finest society.”

“That would be greatly appreciated,” said Elizabeth.

“And you will correspond with us?” she asked.

“Indeed!” Elizabeth said. “I will write to you every spare moment.”

“Then we wish you both great happiness,” Nancy told her. “Jeffery.”

Jeffery was reluctant. He was in no way as open minded as his wife. “Yes,” he said and stood up. “Great happiness to you both. Now…where is my grandson?”

Elizabeth’s sisters and brother were devastated to hear she was leaving. “It will be just as it was before when I was with Nathaniel,” she explained to them.

“You will no longer visit,” said Katrina.

“In a few years I will,” Elizabeth hugged her. “I give you my word.”

~*~

Elizabeth held her hand out to the driver of the carriage and he helped her down onto the pavement. Maxwell stepped out after her and shut the door. Together they stared out across the wharf at the large luxury ship bound and ready to depart for the United States of America. "It is frightfully large," Maxwell noted. "But is it good enough for my young wife?"

Elizabeth turned her gaze back to him. "I am nothing but certain it is perfect." A large smile was on her lips. "And you..." she straightened her shoulders. “Are far too flattering for your own good." She lowered Damien into the pram after it had been unloaded and pulled the covering over his face. It looked as though it would rain.

"It would be as difficult to stop flattering an angel such as yourself as it would be to give up breathing," he told her. "Liz, I believe we have here been given a new beginning. We should take this departure not as a sad occasion but one to rejoice in." They could not tear their eyes away from the horizon that called out to them. It was their heaven away from what stood behind them grey and dooming. "Liz, I could give you anything and I am going to try."

"I require only you," she said quietly and emotionally. "You evermore."

Finally he put his arm through hers and with true wonder he asked, "What are you feeling?"

"I am feeling...absolute ease," she answered. "As if the struggle is over and there is only pure delight left to endure."

Maxwell's heart was swelling, ready to burst from an overflow of happiness. "I have been loving you for such a long time...wanting nothing more but to have your faith in me." He didn't need to finish, Elizabeth knew.

"Shh, my love," she whispered. "We will be fine."

They looked at one another and a light shower began to fall. Crowds around them begun withdrawing umbrellas to shield them from the water but they remained entranced by the thickness of their love. "When we first met it was raining as it is now," Maxwell noted.

"I was so afraid of you on that occasion," Elizabeth admitted. "I had never had a gentleman proclaim his love for me so passionately."

“My Lord,” their butler held an umbrella over their heads. “I believe it is time to board the ship.”

“Thank you, have our belongings been taken to our chambers?” Maxwell asked.

“Indeed,” he said. “I supervised their shift myself.”

They boarded the ship by ramp and Elizabeth’s maid pushed Damien in his pram behind her. Once they reached their chambers they were not quite sure what to do with themselves. Elizabeth put Damien down to rest and then re-entered the lounge room. She found Maxwell there, staring at a painting that hung on the wall above the sofa. “Maxwell…” she came to him and he kissed her. “I cannot believe we are doing such an unprecedented act! Departing Britain, we are entering the unknown.”

Maxwell’s face showed his happiness. “Our new life will be wonderful…I give you my word Liz…”

“Shh—” she took his hands in hers. “You must cease feeling obliged to reassure me of everything we do. I have unlimited faith in you.” Their hands moved down to rest on her swelling stomach. “Do you suppose we will arrive in New York City prior to the New Year?”

“Indeed,” he said. “Just see in your mind's eye Liz, we will be opening the twentieth century in a fresh nation, a new home, a new life.”

“I can scarcely restrain my animation dear.” They kissed once more, savouring each other. “I love you so greatly,” she said. “I must express my ultimate gratitude to you for giving me so much Maxwell.”

“I love you to lunacy,” he smiled, capturing her mouth in yet another kiss. “I believe I must be the one who is obliged to you.”

“We shall call it a truce,” she said, her heart giving in. She was infinitely, breathlessly happy. “Do you feel fatigued at all?”

“No—pray, do you? Of course…you must. Let me call the maid—”

“I am not.” She took his hand and led him to her chamber. “But I wish to go to bed.”

“Oh…”

~*~

Maxwell, Elizabeth, Damien and baby arrived in New York City on the thirteenth of December 1899. The residence Maxwell’s business associates from London had prepared was a short journey from the wharf and was striking and large. Without their knowledge a welcome ball had been prepared by Elizabeth’s mother’s old acquaintance, Juliana, and Maxwell’s new commerce partners. Juliana was one of the kindest, sweetest, oldest women they had ever met. Elizabeth spent the evening conversing with her over the years she had known her mother while Maxwell got to know who he would be working with.

There were many wealthy, well distinguished men and women at the ball who knew nothing of the couple they were welcoming. All the better for Maxwell and Elizabeth who married secretly in the registry office as soon as Maxwell’s annulment papers were cleared. They were seen as a wealthy couple arriving from Britain after a job transfer and that was all. It was Nancy who had made their secret be concealed by Juliana who was too old to care.

After the evening was over and the house was emptied of its guests Maxwell and Elizabeth retired to their rooms that were adjoined by a large set of French doors with curtains. “Fate seems to be treating us overly kindly,” Elizabeth said to Maxwell after her maid had come and undressed her and then retired for the evening.

“I believe our luck will continue,” Maxwell said, “if we do not take it for granted.”

Elizabeth smiled. “I believe so to.” She paused. “What do you suppose has happened to Tessa?”

“I am sure she is being treated as well as she deserves,” Maxwell told her. “She may remarry.”

“I must write Maria,” said Elizabeth. “She forced me to get in touch as soon as I arrived in America.”

“Pray, can that wait for tomorrow?” he asked, walking towards her.

Elizabeth stood incredibly still, ready for him with her palms outstretched. When he reached her she came into his arms willingly, surrounded by him, engulfed by him. “Oh Maxwell…”

“It more or less seems as though the previous two years never came to place.” His eyes sought out hers and she gladly complied with his needs. They smiled brightly at one another. “I beg of you… sleep in my bed tonight?”

“That is very improper,” Elizabeth said. “I should think if someone were to find out—”

“Am I to take your answer to be a refusal, my wife?” he asked.

“No Maxwell.” She let him led her to his chamber and blow out the candles as they went. “Anything you ask, I will comply”—she paused and then added—“eternally.”