The Rebel *Sequel* (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 22 - pg. 18 - 8 / 1 / 20

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Rebel *Sequel* (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 21 - pg. 17 - 7 / 17 / 20

Post by xmag » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:34 am

I'm still not close to know for sure who is going to rule Antar, Max or Van. BUT... but Van and Max can agree on who is the best for Antar. That's what matters, right? Not who is the rightful heir, Max or Van, but who is the better ruler for Antar. But what might indicates that Max and co will stay on Earth is Isabel's fate. Her betraying her brother for Khivar is known and she is a war criminal. Even if she is forgiven officially, would Max and co risk going back to Antar ? What if an angry antarian decides to attack Isabel, only seeing Vilandra in her?

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.

clueless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by clueless » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:58 pm

So glad to have you back! I’m finally caught up and can’t wait for more!!

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 pm

xmag, although I've known since the beginning who will rule Antar in the end, it's been an incredibly interesting road getting there :mrgreen:

cluless, I'm glad you're back, too!

Let's see a bit more from our shifters before I throw them right back into chaos again 8)

Part 22: The Heart of the Matter
October 2005 – The Compound

1 : Shade

The first time Shade saw a photograph of Zan, he thought he had the wrong image. After all, cloning meant being the same, looking the same, so he felt thoroughly deceived by the Antarian-alien being he’d trained so hard to protect.

He’s not Zan, he’d told Luke, ready for an explanation.

He’s Zan where it counts, Luke had answered, signaling his head—and then his heart.

And so, it was with those expectations in mind that Shade watched Zan in the flesh for the first time, carefully hidden in the car his Majesty was about to drive. The General was coming, too, but Shade’s disappointment that he also didn’t look like himself had long passed.

Thankfully, Vilandra was not part of this trip.

Shade was an odd shifter among shifters: he preferred to be on a wall somewhere than walking around. When he’d been told to choose an identity, a human persona to fall back to, he’d spent countless hours picking something that was both appropriate and menacing. At some point, he’d made sure he couldn’t choose to be a dog—a big, scary one, with enormous canines and four legs for speed.

He’d been denied.

But that was how Shade’s mind worked. He had no desire to talk to others and being seen and found it bothersome that people expected him to want a normal Antarian life. He was a shapeshifter who loved to shift. It just so happened he didn’t love to shift into people.

Through the years, he’d spent his time honing his skills to be invisible no matter where, until the only challenges he had were inside the Royal Palace. And in those exercises, he’d come to know Khivar really well. All those private meetings, all those late calls from his army, every single report that came to his desk. What had started as training sessions in stealth, had become a de facto espionage spree.

By the time he’d seen enough, he knew exactly where to go: The Rebellion. But Shade was not stupid. He’d done to Van and Luke what he’d done to Khivar: wait and watch. He gathered information for months, looking for the elusive Van, who everyone whispered was more than the head of the Rebellion, but hardly anyone knew exactly what.

It was a testament to how effective Luke’s security measures were that it had taken Shade the better part of two years to figure out where Van was. And another year to realize Van’s title also included Second in Line to the Throne.

Once Shade had known where Van was, he’d been there day and night, often moving through the ceilings and vents of the dark places where the Rebels dwelled. With time, enough shifters were in the Rebellion that it became a problem to get past them. Shifters gave a vibe to each other that was hard to conceal but not impossible.

Once he was satisfied with his intel, Shade had gone to the archives to look for the real Zan. Khivar painted him as a lunatic that had sought to destroy the natural way of things. The Rebellion painted him like a golden savior who had died too young and had defied death itself for Antar. Shade knew neither of those narratives was true, but if he was going to risk his life for either side, he needed to know who Zan had been.

He’d found his answers buried deep on the fourth planet of the Allegiance. Although Larek had been the closest friend to Zan, Shade knew the man was too politically correct to have data about the king laying around. So, he’d gone to Kathana’s Archives, which had the best-preserved records of the Allegiance’s history that one could hope for.

Digital records had been censored—the Archives did not erase anything—but the printed ones were available if one knew where to look and who to bribe.

Zan had been an idiot, Shade concluded after months of reading and piecing things together. Still, he could see how Khivar had wormed itself in until he’d taken everything away. Zan had been an idiot, yes, but one worth following.

He’d arrived with Van armed with a plethora of multiple sources and information that had impressed the Rebels’ leader. Though Van would tell him later that Shade’s skill to bypass Luke had sealed the deal.

If you can get this close to me, then you’re more than capable of defending Zan.

Eventually, Shade’s preparation landed him exactly where he wanted to be: directly in this new Zan’s life.

Are you the real Zan or just a distant echo? Shade wondered as Zan started the car. This was the first time he would get to see and hear both Zan and Rath together—but it would be far from the last.

“I got another flash,” Zan said, serious.

“Yeah, me too,” Rath answered, with the sort of sigh that spoke of annoyance and trouble. “They’re becoming more frequent now. Lasting longer, too.”

Zan nodded. Behind him, Shade looked carefully at his face. Maybe Zan was not there yet, but maybe, just maybe, it was only a matter of time.

2: Ash
Berlin - 2007

“I can’t go back to Van and tell him Zan is ‘conflicted’ whatever the hell that means,” Luke said with evident frustration as Ash gave his report over the phone. They had been watching Zan, Rath, and Vilandra for almost two years now. Although encouraging for the most part, Ash’s final words were not exactly what Van wanted to hear. It was up to Luke how he wanted to deliver the news, though.

“To be honest, we only know what they say to each other. What they think or how much they remember, they just keep it to themselves. Until Van doesn’t sit down with Max, we won’t know for sure how successful the process was.”

A deep sigh met his words. “At least he’s not an idiot, right?” Luke asked, almost in desperation.

“Far from it. Sometimes…sometimes when he’s talking with Rath, you can see Zan’s way of thinking shining through. Vilandra has taken to international politics in the way she never did back home, and she’s making Zan interested, as well.”

“How ironic she’s finally taking an interest in what used to be her only job.” A paused. “Is she conflicted, too?”

“Yes,” Ash sincerely said. “She’s deeply ashamed, that much is clear from their conversations. If anything, she thinks of herself as Vilandra far more than Zan or Rath do.”

“Good. Until all this mess is sorted out, at least some measure of justice is being served. Keep looking for clues, Ash. Van cannot be deceived. Either Zan survived, or he didn’t, and the Rebellion needs to plan for either outcome.”

Luke hung up, leaving unease in the shapeshifter’s mind. When Ash had first arrived, he’d been so honored and so proud of being part of the Invisible Guard. He’d been sure Zan had survived and would gladly and dutifully choose to go back to Antar. Nowadays, he was—of all things—conflicted.

He’d once told Violet that they didn’t own this Zan any loyalties. That once this mission was over, they could choose to go back to Antar and keep fighting or stay here on Earth and live the life they deserved: free. But those words meant that Ash’s heart was not on guarding Zan, but in judging Zan. He was not looking for good news, but for bad ones. For every flaw, every confirmation that Max was not the king they wanted.

And every day he found proof of both things: Zan was there but so was Max. It was the same with Rath and Vilandra. The three of them danced this complicated waltz between each other and their significant others, always afraid of missing the beat and stepping on everybody’s toes.

He could not tell Van that Zan was dead any more than he could say to him that his brother was ready to go home. And as long as Zan was stuck, so was the Rebellion.

So, he kept watching, waiting for a definitive sign. One that could very well never show up.

3: Violet
2007 – Amsterdam

“I was so sure he was going to tell her!” Jade said for the hundredth time, exasperated. For some reason Violet couldn’t really understand, her colleague had deeply invested himself in Max and Liz’s relationship. It killed him to know that Max was still concealing his memories of Zan as if it were a personal offense against one Liz Parker. “Why does he keep stalling? Why?” Jade asked her, with big sad eyes.

“Because he doesn’t know the answer himself,” Violet said, shrugging. “We know he has regained a significant part of his memories as Zan, but he never makes the switch. And maybe he never will.”

And until he does, I refuse to call him Zan, she privately thought. Max Evans might have the Seal, but he was no Antarian King. His days were not spent thinking about Antarian politics and how to lift his world out of an interplanetary war. As far as she could see, Max’s interest in Zan’s life was more like a scholar’s than someone who intended to learn these lessons to use them as a better informed and far more skilled Zan.

“Liz deserves to know. He deserves to share this burden.”

“I wish we knew what exactly happened between them when Queen Ava was here,” Violet said with a sigh. It bothered her that this planet had already changed Zan’s and Ava’s relationship to the point she’d betrayed him. The Ava from their records would have died for Zan. The Ava Violet had met in Antar a few years back hardly acted like the one from legend.

“Maybe we could ask Dave,” Jet said, suddenly shifting between them. With Max and Liz safely tucked in their hotel room, it gave them time to talk to each other without being in the move. “Clearly, Max is afraid of something bad happening if Liz finds out about his memories. I’m not saying it has to do with Ava, but it can’t be good to remember you used to have a loving wife.”

“But she knows that!” Jade pointed out. “She knows about his destiny, his heritage, the reason why he was created, and she still doesn’t care. Max is just—he’s just—”

“Stalling,” both Jet and Violet said, a recurrent phrase Jade was stuck with.

“Why does this bother you so much?” Violet asked exasperated. “You shouldn’t wish for their everlasting love. When the time comes to leave, they’re both going to be broken-hearted.”

“Or if he doesn’t leave,” Jet said, “then the fact that they chose their selfish love over an entire planet is going to hang over their heads for the rest of their lives.”

Jade looked at them as if they had slapped him. He shook his head. “They’ll find a way. But it will only work if Max tells her the truth, so they can work on this together.”

“Or the General can rule,” Shade said out of the blue, spooking all three of them. Shade rarely voiced any opinions concerning his Majesty’s current love life. Besides, he preferred to spend his downtime exploring the Earth rather than talking.

Jade frowned. “Rath has no claim to the throne without his marriage to Vilandra. And Vilandra will never rule Antar, anyway.”

“Legalities and bloodlines aside,” Jet said, “Rath would be a clever choice.”

“The Rebels wanted him,” Shade said, narrowing his eyes at some memory. “When Khivar was gaining popularity, and Zan was making glaring mistakes to follow his vision, they went to Rath to offer him their loyalties.”

“I’ve heard rumors about it,” Violet said, crossing her arms. “Supposedly, Rath personally threw the guy out of the palace.”

Shade nodded. “But he didn’t put him in prison. Which meant Rath didn’t believe they were entirely wrong, just misguided.”

“It would be an entirely different mission if we were guarding Rath and Maria,” Violet said with a chuckle.

“I bet he hasn’t told her either,” Jade said in a dark mood.

“Well, the General is in the exact same position as Zan is,” Shade pointed out. “They both have to choose between their human lives and their Antarian lives. They both have set themselves up for heartache.”

“Which brings me back to my first question,” Violet said, turning to look at Jade, “Why do you care so much if Max tells Liz or not?”

“Because they deserve it. Zan, Liz, Rath—all of them. All we’ve seen our entire lives is war. War and suffering and enslavement. I want to live in a world where I know that happily ever afters are possible. That they trust each other unconditionally.”

“Earth has made you soft,” Jet muttered.

Violet shook her head. “But if he gets his happily ever after, then what happens to us? What happens to this? We were not sent here to guard a civilian, Jade. We guard him because he will decide our future. And our future doesn’t care about Liz’s heart—or Zan’s for that matter. Or yours.”

“If we’re not fighting for anyone’s heart,” Jade quietly said, “then why are we fighting at all?”

He melted away before anyone could answer.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"

xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Re: The Rebel *Sequel* (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 22 - pg. 18 - 8 / 1 / 20

Post by xmag » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 am

Hmm, this shows some division between the shifters, I wonder if it will come into play later on? They all have their ideas on Zan and the future so their opinions could play a part in how they react to him or the danger he or Liz are in. Or even Michael and Maria, since one of the shifters remembers the Rath followers.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.

keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: The Rebel *Sequel* (CC ALL, YTEEN) Ch. 22 - pg. 18 - 8 / 1 / 20

Post by keepsmiling7 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 am

Will Zan make the switch after regaining memories.....???
Thanks for the update.