Aftershock CC mature pg 5, ch 17, Apr 18, 2016 complete

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 2, ch 6, July 12, 2015

Post by begonia9508 »

Oh my! Ending this way is not worse as being dead! :? :( In all situation they are into at this time...) Looking for more and thanks...

Thanks Ken, I hope you are going well... EVE
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 2, ch 6, July 12, 2015

Post by ken_r »

begonia9508

keepsmiling7: Maria is under a lot of pressure taking care of Liz and Michael being gone doesn't leave her with any support. Maybe, she is starting to feel a little for Raphael.

Chapter 7

Their travels were over. In a confrontation with both the Skins and the Special Unit of the FBI, two of the duplicates who had been sent to New York City by those of Antar, as back-ups had been killed. Lonnie had been dissected, unfortunately, while she was still alive. Rath in anger charged the Special Unit and went down in a hail of bullets. It appeared that now the three aliens from Roswell and the one remaining dup, named Ava, the one like Tess, were safe. No one knew where Ava was, now. This could be learned by reading the books by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin, “Turnabout (Roswell Series)” and “Pursuit.” Turnabout will likely put you back at least $100 on amazon.

Max and Liz had their dream, that of attending college together. On their final graduation, Max and Liz took up research positions in a southwestern college. Singly they both were bright students. Together, they made a remarkable research team. They had several years working together.

Maria and Michael settled down and found a remarkable affinity for each other. They had been going to the same college that Max and Liz ended up working in; Michael in literature and Maria in music. They were growing out of their adolescent tantrums, when they were totally blind sided. Michael learned that Max, Liz and Isabel, had been captured, by a rogue team of aliens that no body knew anything about. What the rogues were after was totally unknown. Michael and Maria were still free. That is when they went looking for Kyle.

----------------

In her catatonic state, Liz remembered that the rogue team wanted to understand the connection between Max and herself. Isabel was kept separate as a test subject. When the Max-Liz connection was understood, the men intended to use Isabel to gain a connection for themselves.

----------

“Hey Ralphie, how are they hanging?” greeted Ed Langer, the editor of the “Golden Truth.” This tabloid was neither golden nor was it necessarily, anywhere near the truth.

“I tell you, Ed the story is going to be a big one, so start collecting your pennies,” Ralph acknowledged his editor.

“Hey Ralphie, I am a man of my word. You get a good story and it is worth half a million dollars. You get an absolutely proven story and a cool million is yours,” Ed stated. “Why are you so hot to write this story. It isn’t as if you need money. What are you going to do with the money anyway?”

“I don’t know, Ed. Maybe, I will give it to the woman, Ria. She is a lot better person than I ever thought she was. She and that stepbrother put almost everything they earn into the care of someone they call a sister. The story behind all of this is what I am looking for,” Ralph explained.

“You want to watch out for that stepbrother. I understand he is some sort of killer. This ain’t no fooling. Tracing down a lead one time, I ran into a man who photographed this Ria woman in a sex tape. After a talk with the stepbrother, he turned over everything he had. When I met him he was scared to death. You just be careful and watch your back,” was Ed’s final warnings.

----------------

The flowers were still coming, as were the presents. At least once a week, Ria spent the night or rather morning with Raphael. The envelope he placed on the table when she arrived at his home, contained between one and five thousand dollars. Ria would quickly place the envelope in her purse and then, make no more account of it. The quantity didn’t seem to make any difference in the attention she gave to him. Disposing of his presents had been easier than she thought. He even set it up so that she could sell them back to the jewelry story at a discount. All of the money went into the care of Beth. After that first time she spent with him, Raphael did not press any questions. That didn’t mean that he still wasn’t collecting information. She had let slip about some mysterious Michael. She believed that he had been killed in the same accident, which had hurt her sister. Ralph was still looking for names and a location. This Ria woman had to come from somewhere. A trip through the newspaper morgue, where they kept old issues, might show some huge explosion where people had been killed. Ralph had the name, Michael and the belief he was accompanied by another man and two women. Ria had expressed the fact that her stepbrother was all who stood between herself, her sister and certain death. This Kyle fellow was everything that Ed had told him about. Listening to Ria talk, Kyle was some sort of saint. Ralph didn’t forget the threats Ed had heard about. Hurting Ria would be a dangerous move. Ralph would have to be careful.

Piece by piece a story was coming together. The trouble was that it was not totally connected. There was this guy Michael. By the way Ria talked about him, even the few times she mentioned him, he must have been pretty important to her. Then, there was some catastrophic accident. It happened several years ago. Ralph was deciding that it happened around the time she was discovered singing. Ralph tracked down one nurse that Ria had fired, but all she could say was that Ria was caring for a sister. When they thought the nurse had been approached by media people, Ria quickly fired her. That strange brother came into play once again. Ralph had talked to the nurse for some time, but she told him that all she knew was that Ria was caring for someone.

Ralph knew that someone being cared for, the mysterious brother and the accident all needed information about Ria’s younger days. He was beginning to wonder if Ria Jones wasn’t a stage name. The usual way was social media, old newspaper reports, old phone books and other things, which contained history of a past. Social media was a flop. This was a warning in itself to Ralph. Celebrities lived for social media, but not Ria Jones. There was not a whimper from her about life. Plenty about her singing and many scandals posted by fans and not fans, one group or the other, of which Ralph knew unfortunately, he would soon be part of.

“Let’s see,” Ralph thought. “Most people change their last names if they want to hide. It is more difficult to change their given names. Given names were used without conscious thought. Well, nick names might be retained. What kind of name was Ria?”

Ralph wrote out a list:
Gabriella, that was a bit of a streatch.
Rhiana
Rhianna
Valerie
Avery
Amaryllis, that one was almost as bad as the first.

Then he tried google.
Deloria
Franceria
Missouria
Oria
Oriana
Gloriana
Maria

Well, that made up quite a list. Maybe, he could tackle the accident. Work back from when Ria Jones was discovered and look for some tragedy. It should involve at least two people. Ralph had made notes about Ria’s mutterings while she was sleeping. He saw that she seldom had a restful night. Ria told him once that being with him did help her nerves, considerably. Ralph saw that there were some demons chasing Ria. In just her everyday language, Ria used several Spanish words like mañana, pronto and once when she was mad at a stage hand she called him a cabrón. Ralph knew that insult and he noticed she accented using a v instead of the b in pronouncing it. That probably put her in the southwest. Once he heard her laugh at the pronouncing of that place in Alaska Valdez. The speaker said “Valdeez” and Ria insisted it should be Valdez with a short e. That might put her in the southwest, Colorado, New Mexico or Arizona, probably not California.

These were all little things Ralph was piecing together. Then he began to think about how much Ria had tried to hide her past. How angry was she going to be when he wrote the story? Did he care? Could he pay her off if she was offended? Ralph knew that she was desperate for money. Ralph, also, knew that the money was for someone else, not for Ria personally. If angry, she might refuse money for herself, but could she refuse it for the welfare of another party? Would he have to worry about that stepbrother?”

---------------------

Max had had a bad week. His fantasies had taken him to fighting against Napoleon, riding beside Lord Horatio Nelson and to fighting the British standing with the little corporal. One time, he found himself riding beside Napoleon as they headed for Paris. Bonaparte had made the suggestion that Max ride with him. “Eh, ‘Captaine’, I have need to see my lover and from what I hear, you have the same,” the general said. Yes, Bonaparte had his Josephine and Captain Evens had his Elizabeth. If they drove their horses hard, they would have a few hours in the arms and beds of their lovers. The fire, the smoke, Captain Evans almost wished he could refuse to return. If the enemy pushed harder, would Elizabeth be safe? It had been reported that the cursed Englishman, Major Jenson, was in the area. His atrocities were legend. A man may face smoke and fire, but a lady should never have to feel that fear.

-------------------

Max had arrived at the native village the same time Stanley did. Stanley was a blow-hard, but who better to look for Doctor Livingston than a newspaperman. Reporters have the uncanny ability to find those who wish to remain hidden. Livingston, apparently was where he wanted to be of his own will. Did Max have the right to help Stanley find him? Stanley was already on the wrong path. Max could step back and let him get lost himself and Livingston’s privacy would be preserved. None of the natives who worked with Livingston would give him away, but you know how it is, a word here, a purchase there. It is very difficult to remain hidden for long. Livingston hadn’t even told many of the natives his real name. An observant searcher could see certain items bought at trading posts that would only have appeal for a white man. Later, Max would wonder why the consideration for someone who wanted to remain lost?

--------------------

This morning had been good for Max. He had the morning lecture and then, he could leave for the winter break. Of course, there would be finals and grades, but his able graduate assistants would take care of that.

Max looked up as the students filed into the lecture hall. There in the top row was a little blue-eyed blonde. She was completely naked. Max thought that he should know that woman, or at least her body. Yeah, that was the woman, Tess Harding. Max looked over at the other blonde of the class, Susan Ritter. They were in no way alike. Max looked over at Tess and besides being naked, she was different from what Max remembered. It took Max several seconds to figure this out. It was her eyes. They were blue like he remembered, but they also looked dead, like the eyes of a fish on a platter. Max’s memory did a flip. Yeah, Tess had been killed. Even in this fantasy, she appeared dead.

The lecture began and for once, Max was totally coherent. Max made his points and didn’t see another naked lady for the rest of the class period. After the lecture, the students filed out into the halls and Max was alone with his thoughts.

-----------------------

There were strains of a chorus softly singing “Dixie,” accompanied by a banjo. The northern aggressors were coming and Captain Evans would have to hurry to stop them before they reached “Tara.” On graduating from WestPoint, Max had been called into his father’s study. “Max, war is coming. It is going to be a war like no other. Brother will fight against brother and father will fight against son. There will be so many reasons for the war that you won’t recognize they are for the war you are fighting. Make no mistake, son. Money will win. The rich land owners in the south against the richer merchants and manufacturers of the north, in their souls you will see no difference. Slavery is doomed to die of its own inertia and those supporting it are too foolish to see that. Lee has already picked the south because that is where he feels he is from. There will be others who pick a side because they think that side will give them glory and for many it will. Their glory will be over the bodies of many slain men and boys.

Max thought long and hard about this. He had two reasons to pick fighting for the south. First was Scarlet Parker. They had been called a perfect match. She was a landed beauty who would inherit “Tara,” sometimes called the Crashdown and he was a strong soldier who should have a bright future when he retired from the army. The second reason was captain Steve Jenson, one of the few men Max really hated. From the minute they met, Jenson wouldn’t let up on Max. He called Max a kept man and accused him of intending to live off Scarlet Parker’s money and land. Jenson, taking a captaincy in the army of the north, practically drove Max to the south.

Armies should fight men. Captain Jenson joined General Sherman, who took the war to women and children. Max was sure that it would be Jenson heading for Tara. Max and his unit arrived just in time to see Tara go up in flames. They had no idea if Scarlet or any of the others got out in time. It would be like Scarlet to stand shaking her fist at the men as all around her burned.

Max could hear himself screaming in the flames. “Michael, did you get Liz and Isabel out?”

“Max, Kyle’s got Liz and was heading for the door. I got Isabel out and am returning for you. It is Skins, Max. The bastards are making another attempt at killing us,” Michael screamed over the inferno.

“Mike, Its more than just killing us. They want the powers we have that they don’t,” Max explained.

“Hell, they got shape-shifting, and some molecular manipulation. What more do they want?” Michael said.

“They were studying Liz and me. I thought that white room was bad under the special unit. These skin guys go into your head to get what they want,” Max stated. He would have said more but then, a whoosh and a bang, the old factory went up in flames. Max finally saw Isabel, but he never again knew anything about Liz. They all had to lay low. Maybe, if the Skins thought they were all dead, they would leave them alone.

----------------------

If Michael hadn’t come by the lecture hall, Max had no idea if he would have thought to leave.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 3, ch 7, Aug 3, 2015

Post by begonia9508 »

Really great part, Ken! EVE :mrgreen:
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Piece by piece, I'm beginning to get an idea of what happened.
But as I mentioned "over there".....it is disturbing that Max remembers a naked Tess Harding. That would be a real nightmare.
I'm enjoying this adventure, can't wait to see you take it.
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

Keepsmiling7:

begonia9508:

Chapter 8

Jesse hadn’t been able to come with Isabel. He would arrive on a later flight as soon as he cleared up his court appearances. Max and Michael came by car so they were two days late.

“The last episode Max had, was a doozy. It also brought him closest to Liz than any other he has told us about. Max and I agreed that being on a plane around people wasn’t a good idea at this time,” Michael stated.

“Did Max say anything about her?” Isabel asked.

“It was all mixed up with crap about the Civil War, ‘Gone with the Wind’ and such. He did connect the name Parker with fire.” Michael explained.

“Has Max said anything about healing?” Isabel queried.

“No and he hasn’t said anything about aliens either. I don’t know how much Max even knows or remembers about himself,” again Michael explained. It had been almost ten years since they had been together for any length of time. Michael always worried about being together in a group. Max hadn’t said anything about having any powers and Michael never thought he was strong enough to deeply discuss this anyway. On the phone, a burner phone, which could be safely thrown away, he and Isabel hadn’t felt safe enough to discuss aliens things. Michael didn’t know how Isabel handled being alien, but with Max not understanding and Michael being paranoid in general, they had played down alien abilities.

“What do you mean, alien,” Max almost shouted. “I am as American as you or Michael. You can’t dispose of someone just because they have a mental illness.” Max hadn’t seen Isabel since the explosion. Her messages through Michael kept him aware of who she was and what she was to him. He had been afraid of this meeting ever since Michael told him that Isabel thought it was necessary. Now, they must be considering his deportation. He wasn’t an alien, he was a tried and true red blooded American.

“That is just it, Max,” Isabel said as she handed him a rose that promptly changed color. “Don’t you remember anything from your childhood?” This was a lot harder than she had envisioned. Even Max wasn’t sure of what he wanted to hear. Push him too fast and Max would be back in the Amazon chasing go-ji berries or something.

Michael had had a long, hard talk with Isabel last night. It had been Michael who had seen Max’s problems for so many years. Isabel continued, “Max, you and I were raised as brother and sister. You have the exact same power that I have except you excelled at healing. Michael was always the soldier and he excels in fighting. We used to have a fourth party, her name was Tess, but she is gone now. She had excellent mental powers.”

Max shook his head violently as if he wanted to shake this new information out of his brain. There had been someone called Tess and she was dead. What was her relationship to him? How well did Max really know her? “I remember flames and pain. I remember screaming and that is as far back as my memory goes. Michael took me back to the university and they put me in a lab. That is when I learned that I have a lot of knowledge in bio-chemistry. Every one kept telling me that I was a great researcher at some time in my life. I seem to know what I am talking about and when my mind is clear, I can teach others a lot of my collected knowledge.”

Isabel took a deep breath. “Max, do you remember Doctor Elizabeth Evans, formally Liz Parker?”

The reaction in Max was immediate. His pupils shrunk like he was on some drug. Max began to whimper, “No, no, no, There can’t be anyone like that. I would have taken care of her. I wouldn’t let them take her away like that. I would have given my life for some one like that!”

Max began wringing his hands. Michael reached out and caught both hands in an iron grip. He placed his other arm about Max’s shoulders and said, “Come on Max, we had talked about this before, we don’t run away. We take a deep breath and work through it.”

It was too late, Max’s eyes were rolling back in his head and he began to murmur. Michael looked over Max’s bent body at Isabel. “Izzy, don’t you think that we need to let Max rest?” he phrased it as a question, but really he was warning Isabel off. Just the mention of the name Liz Parker had sent Max into another break down.

After Michael and Isabel got Max to bed in the room they had prepared for him, he and Isabel sat talking. “That is what happens every time anyone mentions Liz Parker-Evans or anything to do with her. It is really hard because at the university Max and Liz were paired in almost everything they ever did,” Michael explained. “We can’t get Max to move on if he won’t admit that there is some place he should move from.”

--------------------------

Max was only wearing a breach-clout. Even so he was sweating profusely. One hundred degrees and almost one hundred percent humidity, that was life for those in the rain forest. The paint of red chicken blood, the yellow ochre and the brown sienna ran together as the sweat dripped through the mystic symbols. Max stood a good head taller than any of the other warriors. His woman had been captured by cannibals and none of his companions knew if she would be raped to death or eaten. The tribes “here ‘bouts” had never seen a white woman before. The people had accepted Max as one of their own, witness both the small army, which followed him and the mystic symbols on his body. The people with whom Max found himself assured him, many times, that the other tribe were not people, rather, they were animals no better than the scavengers found in the forest. They surely were not to be compared with those people of El Tigre. The jaguar people were mighty warriors. They didn’t make war on women.

The fires of the cannibal village could be felt even where the people were leading Max. There would be many heads to prepare tonight. The jaguar people assured Max that these scavengers would be little more than the animals caught in the hunts using the great nets in the dry season. Here the people would drive the animals into the nets where the warriors would club them to death. The people assured Max that they wouldn’t eat the scavengers. They were not cannibals. They would take many heads and the souls sewed up into the shrunken vessels would guard the homes of the people as well as bring Max back his woman. One minute, the people holding Liz were cannibals or little better than animals and the next moment, it was admitted that they were people. The jaguar people liked Max and if there had been any other white women around, they would have brought him one. As it was, retaking Max’s woman was the only answer. Besides the camp needed new heads to hang in the huts for the children to play with. They walked in silence the heat ever bearing on their spirits. Now Max could see her silhouetted by the flames. She was tied between two polls, her legs and arms stretched almost to the breaking point. The heat, the heat, nothing could survive in that heat. Would the woman even be alive when they got to her?

Max looked around. There was no one there but Michael. What happened to the people who were helping Max? No longer wearing a loincloth now, Max was wearing a hospital jump suit. As Michael propelled Max towards the door, the flame rushed after them. Max stumbled into Isabel who was also wearing hospital garb and all three of them were blown off their feet by the blast. Michael could only think that he had led Maria into danger and Max could only think about the loss of his Liz.

--------------------

Max lay in his bed soaked in sweat. Where had he been all this time? He heard Michael and Isabel talking in the other room. It had been so long since he had heard Izzy’s voice. Michael sounded worried, but Michael always sounded worried. Michael had lost the love of his life and unlike Max, Michael had no place to run. If Michael had given in to running off to a fantasy, they both would die. Someone had to keep sanity as Max worked though the trauma both from being a prisoner of the Skins and also knowing how Liz was suffering.

Max was wearing his boxers and a tee shirt, both soaked in sweat. His body had a terrible odor like something long dead. Sitting up in bed, Max saw a suitcase sitting open on a chair. His head would not clear up. There were many thoughts running through his mind, none of them particularly productive. None of the thoughts seemed very connected either. Max could still hear Michael and Isabel talking in the other room. Max didn’t know if they were talking about him or not. It didn’t make much difference, Max had questions and they were the only ones he could trust to listen to them. He didn’t know if they could answer any of them or not.

Max picked up underclothes and went to the bedroom door. To whom ever would answer, Max called out, “Which way is the shower?”

Michael answered, “Down the hall to your left, first door on the right.” Turning to Isabel he said, “That sounds like a changed Max. As you can tell, his hygiene hasn’t been the best since we left the explosion. I usually had to remind him to shower and put on reasonably clean clothes.”

--------------------

Isabel had returned quickly to Jesse when they got away from the Skins. Jesse had surrounded her with security and arranged a form of counseling. The doctor had to agree not to probe into specific subjects. With what Jesse was paying him he finally agreed. They had talked to several doctors and most of them refused to let their therapy be crippled by Jesse’s restrictions. The final therapist was told that Isabel had been kidnapped along with her brother and another subject. Knowing who the kidnappers were would put the doctor at risk. This was a security situation of the highest order. Doctor Christian had worked with many military subjects who couldn’t reveal details of their activities and he was used to working within guidelines.

Isabel was able to work with her therapist, but Max’s condition was so bad Isabel and Michael didn’t believe he could be trusted with a stranger. It was several months before Max calmed down enough that Michael could trust him with others. That was when Michael requested the university take Max back as a lecturer. The lucid moments of Max’s life showed he hadn’t lost the edge that he and Liz had when they were both working together. Michael informed them that Liz could not be mentioned because that would send Max into withdrawal. Those who knew Max supported him and they kept those like Professor Steve Jenson from knowing anything about Max’s history. No one questioned why Max and Michael could be in the open using their own names and working with a certain part of the public while Isabel felt she should hide who she was and what had happened to her.

--------------

Max came back into the room with Michael and Isabel. He was showered and dressed with what he found in the suitcase. “I heard you mentioning my name,” he stated. What were you talking about?”

Isabel let Michael do the talking as last night mentioning Liz had sent Max off somewhere they couldn’t follow. “Max, it is about your memory,” Michael started. You were having trouble last night and we are worried about what will happen to you today.”

For a brief instance, that haunted expression came back to Max’s eyes. “I don’t remember much about last night,” he stumbled. “I had dreams after I went to bed.”

“What do you remember about the dreams?” Michael asked.

“Something about a rescue. It wasn’t very clear,” Max said. Truthfully it was as clear as mud. Max remembered the dream. He just didn’t remember what it meant. Running around half naked apparently with a bunch of aborigines from the Amazon didn’t make any sense in the light of day. Last night, it seemed perfectly clear and normal for Max to join his new friends and go on a rescue. Taking a few heads along the way, to later shrink down to curios, made sense also. Max looked hopefully at Isabel, “Does some one need rescuing?”

“That is what we are trying to find out,” Isabel replied carefully.

“Max, let’s try to figure out where we are,” Michael said. “We need to talk to see if anyone needs rescuing.”

Max was very wary at the way the conversation was going. He wanted answers and they seemed to not have them. Michael wanted to know what was going in Max’s mind to see if anyone needed rescuing. Didn’t he know already? Very carefully Max tried to probe his recent memory. It was like a boil. Pinch it and it might explode, but it would also hurt when it did. Max remembered the joy he had when he heard Isabel’s voice. What had happened? Why hadn’t Max been around to hear her everyday? Then some cloud started to rise. Max hadn’t heard Isabel’s voice for several years. Again why?
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 3, ch 8, Aug 14, 2015

Post by ken_r »

Author's note: For a different type of unconventional coupling please look at
Max and Liz

Liz is a sprite, no bigger thanMax's thumb. She intends to run his love life, his political life and his life with his father. Liz intends to make Make the greatest king in the universe and is not modest in telling all it is because of her.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Hey Ken! For some reason, Max has changes of memories: it is like he would have a brain in sand, and when Max got upset, he got his mind likes sand which you can shake and everything is erased and mixed-up...

Sad situation for Michael and Isabel...

Thanks EVE :mrgreen:
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

begonia9508: There was a writer here and on RoswellHeavan, I think she went under the name of Little Evie. I tried, but i couldn't find any of her writings in the archive. At least one of her stories was the best descriptions of approaching insanity. I am trying , but of course i don't think i am doing her justice. The changing stories, the chopped story lines are all to give a sense of losing touch with reality.

Chapter 9

Princess Isabel, was called by her detractors, the “Ice Queen.” In some distant way, Max knew that he was related to her. Now he had been brought before the beautiful, but terrible Ice Queen. What did she want?

“Max, I know how you feel, but we just can’t afford to get that close to anyone,” she stated. You want to hang out at the Crashdown and eventually, something is ‘gonna happen.’ Look, I enjoy the company of guys, but I never let them get too close. What you want is too dangerous!”

Max looked up at the throne. Steam was streaming from the icicles surrounding the ice princess. Before Princess Isabel, things were at the same time complicated and simple. They were simple because Isabel never let anyone except for Max and Michael get close to her. Complicated because she kept a vast array of suitors interested in her from which she could take her pick without getting too involve. That wasn’t what Max wanted. Max wanted what he had seen with his stepparents. They couldn’t have their own children, but they lavished all their affections on the two they had adopted. Max and Liz were a different species, but that was all right. They could adopt if they were not compatible in that way. Liz Parker was and always would be his choice.

A quest, that is what one did when confronted by a queen. Isabel kept her suitors at a distance because she couldn’t trust them. Max would go on a quest to find a compatible and trustworthy guy for Isabel. Somehow this didn’t fit Max’s memories of his past. Well, how much did he trust those memories anymore. Rhett Butler, Napoleon, Nelson, aborigines, didn’t mix with what was really in Max’s memory, either.

-----------------------

Michael had been watching this for so many years. For Isabel, it was a revelation and an explanation of what Michael had tried to tell her. Clouds formed like in a summer rain. The clouds rushed to engulf Max and took him back to some unknown abyss. In ten years, this was the furthest Michael had seen Max get back to reality. He quickly was at Max’s side gently slapping him. “Max, Max, ol’e buddy. Don’t run off. We need you man,” Michael pleaded.

Who were these people? Tara was in flames and Scarlet Parker was trapped by the Yankee army. Max knew that that damned Yankee Captain, Jenson, would dance for joy with the chance to hurt Captain Max Evans, even with the death of one of the most celebrated women of the south. Captain Jenson was no gentleman. He surely didn’t measure up to the society of the south.

----------------

“Le Petit Corporal,” wouldn’t hear of Max staying back. “’Captaine’, you need your woman as much as I need mine. Don’t listen to those who would dissuade you. Follow me, we will be back before the next battle,” Bonaparte told his riding companion. Max was left to wonder if the battle would be against Lord Nelson or against Captain Steve Jenson. Would Parker be on the steps of Tara, standing proud or would she be in Paris as the flames drew near? Cursed Yankees, cursed Captain Jenson, cursed English, cursed Nelson, Max was sure that Nelson was being advised by that scoundrel Jenson some way.

At least one good thing Max had heard was that the Ice Queen had escaped Tara. Even if Scarlet Parker wouldn’t leave, Max’s warning had saved his sister. Someway, Napoleon had disappeared in the clouds.

------------------

Max wildly looked at Michael and Isabel. Were they trying to keep him from carrying out his duty?

“Max, settle down, good buddy. We got you this far, don’t run away,” Michael commanded.’’

Isabel had been warned off by Michael, but they had to make Max face reality. The way he was going was a sure doom. “Max, Liz doesn’t stand a chance unless you come back to us,” she whispered.

---------------

Liz, Liz, she had died a thousand times. Max might have thought of that Humphry Bogart line, “Of all the gin joints, you had to pick mine.” Liz Parker-Evans hadn’t wandered into Max’s gin joint by accident and it wasn’t by chance that Isabel was insisting he listen and think about her. No one knew what had happened that day with the Skins. They didn’t know what had happened after Michael handed Liz off to Kyle and they had no idea that it was Kyle killing that monster which had set off that explosion.

Max had been exhausted so it was only Michael and Isabel talking. They had suggested Max go lie down and rest. Michael did have a fear that Max, once asleep, might go right back to where he had been. “Michael, we have to take the chance,” Isabel said.

Later as they sat, “Michael do you think any of them had any chance?” Isabel asked.

“I don’t know, Izzy. I gave Liz to Kyle when they were fairly close to the other entrance. We had dusted a couple of Skins, but we hadn’t really seen any resistance. Kyle might have made it to the door. Much of his chance depended on what caused that explosion. If Kyle had made it I am sure that he would have cared for both Liz and Maria. We had to lie low for so long that we never had a chance to regroup. None of us had any real exit strategy anyway. I don’t think we expected to live through the assault much less win the battle. It all depended on what caused that explosion,” Michael explained.

---------------------

“Will the chanteuse, Ria Jones,e honor me by dining at my house and giving me the pleasure of her company.”
Raphael Sebastian Carter,

That was the note wrapped around a box containing a diamond necklace. Notes like this and presents similar to this had almost become a habit. Truthfully, she had received nothing as expensive as this necklace to date, but it wasn’t out of character. Ria had many mixed emotions in her relationship with Raphael. Most of the presents had been cashed in and the money went a long way in Beth’s care.

The boy was waiting for an answer so, Maria did what was expected, she jotted on the card, “With Pleasure” and the boy, with a five dollar bill clutched in his hand, rushed off to complete his delivery and return the message

-----------------------

“Come on Ralphie, you knew that we were going to publish someday. You have been screwing the woman regularly, so take the half million and run. I can have the check made out to her, if you want. You find out proof to absolutely back up the story and another half mill will be waiting,” Ed stated. He still didn’t see the problem. Ria Jones wasn’t marriage material that was certain. Ralph Carter had walked into this story with both eyes open. What he had written was believable and maybe, if he played his cards right he might be able to get that solid proof that every gossip magazine writer hopes for. The money didn’t bother Ed. He would double it when the story hit the streets. Ed had already instructed the printers to standby with another edition. Hell, there wasn’t an actress, singer or anybody else in the theater who wouldn’t jump for that much money. A half million dollars ought to calm down any diva.

Ralph had always known that, someday, he was going to betray Ria Jones. That act far in the future hadn’t been troublesome enough to worry about. Now it wasn’t in the future, it was coming out tomorrow. Ralph would have an early morning of bliss and wake up to, he didn’t know what. Ria would be disturbed. Anyone who went to the lengths she had to lose herself would not be pleased to be outed.

Maria DeLuca, small town girl whose life didn’t show anything special growing up. She had disappeared about the same time as a horrific fire and explosion in the town. The fire and explosion had no explanation. The case had been marked unsolved. No father was mentioned. Single mother had died some years after the tragedy. No mention of sister under any name.

The money Ralph had lavished on the cab drivers had come through. Ria Jones lived in a small house with two apes who were said to be body guards. Ria hadn’t appeared to be a lady who could manage men such as them. There was another lady, a registered nurse, who lived there full time. Ralph had flooded the neighborhood with girl scouts and their cookies, boy scouts and magazine drives. He had a number of religious missionaries dropping by to offer those in the house prayers and kind words. From all of this Ralph found there was another woman, crippled or maybe, mentally challenged. Ralph’s arranged surveillance did turn up one Kyle Valente, the stepbrother. The boy scouts had reported that Kyle looked like one “mean muther.”

Ralph didn’t find any mention of a Beth in Maria DeLuca’s family, but there had been a very close friend named Elizabeth Parker. Reportedly she had married another local, one Max Evans. The Evans family had completely died out. There had been a sister to Max, Isabel or something like that, but she had disappeared. The Parker family had disappeared, also.

Ralph had put together a story about Ria Jones known as Maria DeLuca that was pretty tight. Sitting in her dressing room Ralph watch that delectable body, which he had learned to cherish through the screen, Ralph could only wonder what would happen tomorrow morning when the story hit the streets.

Ralph sat there watching Ria as she changed. She had cost Ralph a fortune, but he no longer considered her a whore. Ralph had spent almost as much in college on sorority girls and not received half as good a lay. There was more than sex with Ria Jones. Ralph enjoyed his conversations with her. The college girls hadn’t ever given him that much intellectual stimulus. There had been something else about her. When they were in bed, Ralph believed he could see his own heart beating. When he handed her the envelope filled with the bills, he felt that he could feel her joy, not in the money, but for that other person she was caring or. Now, his heart was pounding as he watched her pull on a white dress. He had seen that she had worn nothing under it. She was, again, promising a wonderful night or rather morning. That is, until the story hit the street.

--------------------

Jesse missed Isabel. When she took off that year after they had been married, he felt that someway he was going to lose her. Sometimes, Jesse thought that Max was a total asshole. You had to give him credit, he did protect all of them and when the danger appeared to be over, Isabel had been returned to Jesse. Then, there was that business of her being kidnapped. The FBI and some other group had been harassing the group of people around his wife for years. Jesse and Isabel’s father had gotten together a pretty good case and taken it to Washington. There were still some groups out there who might still hate aliens. Now Isabel had disappeared and Jesse had received a call from Michael that he was going after her along with several others. Jesse knew better than to offer legal help. Michael was the least trusting of any of them and whatever he planned to do was not under any protection of law. That night when Isabel had appeared at his door along with a very untrusting and irate cab driver, she had simply asked Jesse to pay the man. It took weeks to get a story out of her. Isabel hadn’t been hurt that much, except for several trust issues. Her brother was alive, but he was hiding out with Michael. Isabel didn’t know what had happened to the others in her group,.

After these many years, Jesse had finally talked Isabel into getting together with Max and Michael and trying to piece what was left of their lives together. Jesse hated that he couldn’t immediately go with Izzy, but he had promised to meet her as soon as possible. It was going to be a long, lonesome plane ride so Jesse bought several copies of different tabloids. They were fun sometimes and Jesse never had any trouble looking at them for any amount of truth. He felt they were pure fiction.

---------------

Beth really hated it when Ria came home late the next morning. Many times, Beth would be put to bed before Ria got home in the night, but Ria was always waiting when Beth finally was helped into the kitchen mid-mornings. Many times Ria would have some bauble or two to play with. They didn’t last long because, Ria said they had to sell them quickly to pay the bills. That chocolate had been good, the other night. Ria didn’t eat much of it, but she did give the box to Beth. Parts of Beth’s mind might ask where all these things came from and why Ria received them. To resolve that question was too difficult in the slow motion way her mind was working, now.

It was noon and Ria never stayed out much later than noon. Ria had a show to put on and she needed some sleep before the evening curtain rose. When Ria did arrive, she was terribly agitated. Beth could not remember when she had seen Ria this upset. Beth tried to follow what Ria was saying, but thoughts were coming and going much too fast for her mind in its present condition. Beth heard the name Kyle and one of the two men living in the front of the house took off.

------------------------

The crashdown was surrounded by men, all dressed in black suits. The strange thing was that they all looked like Steve Jenson. Michael was trying to hold Max back, but Max shook off his hold and pushed forward. Max had never shown any sadistic nature, but he found a pleasure crushing the Jenson look-a-likes. When he finally got to the door, he saw inside a body. Max couldn’t see the face because it was covered by one of the carts which had been used to roll food out to the floor. A pool of blood was rapidly spreading around the body and there were several police officers standing around it. As Max tried to approach, an officer who Max remembered as Kyle’s father stopped him. “You don’t want to see her like this, son,” the sheriff drawled.

Max fought, but several other officers joined the sheriff who carefully led Max out of the restaurant. “Think of her for who she was. Remember her as a beautiful, active young lady. What’s in there isn’t Liz. Liz has gone, now you have to let me do my job and find out why she was shot,” the sheriff explained.

Max couldn’t help it. For some reason, he still felt that he could have helped his Liz. There were just too many things, which got in his way.

-----------------------
I was always proud of being consistent in posting. The story is finished, but this summer has been unkind to both Carole and myself.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 3, ch 9, Sep 6, 2015

Post by keepsmiling7 »

First of all, Ken I am sorry the summer has not been kind to you and Carole. I hope things have taken an upturn and will continue on that path.

Now, this is an outstanding story Ken. Must admit, at first I was as confused as Max was. Couldn't even imagine what had taken place. Gradually you have developed these characters and the flow of what occurred.
I laughed at the Gone With The Wind and Bogart references.
The relationship with Ralph and Ria is different from what I originally expected. He seems to be successful, no matter how slow it has taken to collect information.
Am I right, did Kyle cause the explosion? This appears to be the key to Michael finding out what happened.
I did like the thought that Michael felt Kyle would have taken care of Liz and Maria if they got out.

Looking forward to your next posting.
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Aftershock CC mature pg 3, ch 9, Sep 6, 2015

Post by begonia9508 »

Hey Ken! You did well on describing insanity, because I had a lot to think about it, as I never thought about it that way...

In some way, I understand Max, not being able to accept Liz's disappearance and the best way to do it, is to create another universe, where Liz and him are two different people!
And so, he won't be comfronted by the reality which is that Liz disappeared, never to be seen again...

Insanity certainly had, to each persone, another way of being!

EVE :shock: