Always Tomorrow (CC, Mature) - A Reunion's Endgame - Chapter 45 - Completed - 09/30/2020

This is the place to post all your General Roswell fanfiction. Any Canon fics, which pick up directly from any episode of the show and that focus on Max/Liz, Michael/Maria, Isabel/Alex or Isabel/Jesse, Kyle/Tess, or all the couples together! Rule of Thumb: If Max healed Liz in the Crashdown in September 1999, then your fic belongs here. If it picks up from the show in any way, it belongs here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, jbangelo, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 34 - 08/14/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

“Uncle Max, I am sorry,” was all Kylie Valenti was saying as the whole clan it seems had descended on the new and modern Evans house to discuss the matter that was still shaking the core of the family. The smallest of the kids were all asleep upstairs in the spare room. Liam and Belle were at a movie, and Alexandra was sitting staring into the space. Now entering into the room was Isabel and Kyle who were newly back from a mini vacation they took after the wedding, and Kylie was the center of the family when it was discovered that Jake remembered seeing his wife get into a car, and being trained to remember, tracked the license plate because had taken notice of the odd car, and so he ran it, and found it registered to Isabel and Kyle’s daughter. “She didn’t tell me of her plan. Honest. All she said was that she needed my help” the young model was insisting to the room filled of outraged family members, and her parents who didn’t know how to react to the news that their daughter had aided in Grace’s plan.

“What help?” Max muttered as he paced. Michael and Maria were also on edge because now there were two of them in the lion’s den up north, and if Max and Elizabeth had smoked out Khivar with those papers than they were in danger.

“She wanted a makeover,” Kylie Valenti muttered as she knew at the time that it had been suspicious but her cousin had instructed her not to ask too many questions because it would allow her to have plausible deniability, and of course, now that she knew what Grace was up to, well, it scared her to think she aided in a rouse to draw out a mad man because while she and her siblings had never been players in this drama as they had been blissfully ignored by Nicholas and Khivar. Still they were in the same family so they couldn’t help but be impacted consequences that had come from the terror that had been inflicted on Elizabeth and in lesser amounts but still enough to last a lifetime on their cousin Grace, so, yes, now it scared her as she dealt with the looks that her parents and Uncle were giving her as she didn’t know what to say but the truth “What can I say, she knew I had friends because of my connections and so I dropped her off at the salon and went my own way…”

“Why would she need a makeover?” Isabel asked her daughter as she did not know how the take the change in circumstances and twist in the story.

“I don’t know because she didn’t tell me,” Kylie said honestly. “I promise Mom if I had known what she was planning than of course than I would have gone to someone. I don’t know why she would have done what she did” she sighed even though they all did, because it was plain and simple and still extremely dangerous.

“She probably overheard me and Michael talking,” Max muttered solemnly as he remembered a conversation he had with his best friend over his friend’s daughter’s predicament, and he remembered how Grace had been in the proximity, and she might have overheard what he and Michael had been saying there that night

“Would she?” Michael asked.

“Given this is my daughter we’re speaking of, yes, it is very likely,” Max muttered. “She’s always been talented at eavesdropping” he conceded as he looked down at the floor and down at the floor. “I should have known she might think of something like that given how regretful she is of the events of seven years ago.”

“What do you mean?” Beth asked even though she had a good sense of what her husband was referring to.

“Michael wanted to put a plant in the hospital to protect Elizabeth given that Elizabeth hasn’t been able to rise to her fullest in terms of her powers and gifts, and I told him no…” Max answered. “It was a reasonable suggestion, but it was simply too dangerous, and I told him so, because we all know Elizabeth has not been around to be able to test her limits unlike the rest of our children” he murmured. “Which would make it all so much of a wildcard?”

“You did?” Maria asked as she glanced over at her husband who only nodded because he did remember his wish to arm his daughter in that hospital with backup, but he never imagined that his daughter-in-law would take up that arms in protection of his daughter although they probably should have given they all knew of Grace’s burden back in the day.

“Yes,” Michael muttered. “But as soon as I voiced that wish, well, Max reminded me that if Salazar is as vicious as Ava claims than he probably has a dossier of every employee, so the put someone so suddenly would raise questions. So, Grace was at least trying to distinguish herself in some hope of helping our daughter as she probably though she needed to disguise herself as Khivar probably knows what our families look like…”

“God, does she not know it was dangerous?” Beth asked fearful for her eldest daughter as she patted her stomach as she thought of her unborn child and all her children and at least she knew Carrie was safe in Maryland with Justin, but still there was so much unknown out there in the real world and now for Grace to make this drastic move made it all the more real. “She had to know that being in there, she would be a sitting duck along with Elizabeth?” she asked as they always believed they had needed about Grace, but now they had to, and it scared her…

“She believes that she is looking out for her friend,” Max said simply. “Because no matter how many times we tell her that she doesn’t deserve the burden still she regrets not be able to help, and not being the one taken seven years ago” Max murmured as he looked at Jake who nodded and looked around because as much as he loved that he and Grace had gotten together still they did to this day feel guilty that they hadn’t been with his sister and Finn that night, and allowed for the circumstances that took Elizabeth from them. “She knows that it would likely not made a difference if we had been there,” he sighed as it had taken him a long time to come to terms and he still knew he hadn’t really, and the same could be said for his wife. “I only wish she had come to me, or any of us, because we could have told her that it was dangerous.”

“Which is why she probably didn’t come to any of us,” Beth muttered because she knew her daughter. “She’s too stubborn sometimes for her own good,” she sighed because she had known that stubbornness many times during the years, she knew her daughter before she and Jake would get married. She had not always been the easiest teenager, Beth reflected but I will take any of that rebellion any day than this uncertainty because I do not know if she will come home at the end of this. “She didn’t want to be talked out of it, or be seen as rebelling on any of us, if we had said no, and she has her own mind…”

“God,” came a chorus of the room who were muttering to themselves.

“I only wish I had known because then I would have allowed Elizabeth to make the scene she just made which made it obvious she’s open to being influenced,” Max muttered as he thought of the scene that he had witnessed up at the hospital. “Given the scope of the scene that Elizabeth made, if Salazar is there, then he won’t be able to resist…”

“What did you do Dad?” Alexandra asked as she was truly afraid for her sister because they all knew that Khivar was dangerous, and for Salazar to have grown to be such a monster, than he must be also, and now she had to factor her sister in there…

“I made the conditions for Elizabeth to flip out,” Max admitted. “It was actually pretty impressive and put any performance she gave as a teenager to shame,” he allowed because he knew there had been genuine fear in the performance. Sometimes when you are agitated, you allow your true feelings to come out even when you know it is an act. Max thought. It was for Liz when he remembered during their Bonnie and Clyde times when things had become too serious, and they had undertaken actions had had seriously messed with their futures. Liz still tense from the Tess debacle let out her true feelings when they were playing James Bond and stealing a diamond before Max discovered it was all false, and the baby was not going to be an issue. It had been an outlet for Liz, but she did have a lot more resentment that would take months to come out, but she had played the truth through her acting. So, Max knew Salazar would be foolish to ignore it and he probably wouldn’t “I saw Grace at the tale end so now because of the scene Elizabeth made, I am going to be worried that we opened the hornet’s nest, and an attack is imminent.”

“You used the kids?” Maria asked as she knew what Max had been planning and knew how much it would have hurt her daughter if she thought she and Michael had lost faith in her and was trying to take the kids from her. “If you did, then she went over the cliff, didn’t she?”

“Yeah, it was nuclear Elizabeth,” Max admitted. “Full meltdown.”

“Just what Khivar will want to see?” Isabel asked.

“I hope so but knowing Grace is there means we can’t go up there and bust her mission otherwise we put both of them in danger,” Max conceded as they took stock of the latest developments as they allowed it to settle in as none of them were happy about it.

“You can sit up now,” Grace murmured as she stepped away after releasing the bonds, and Elizabeth immediately felt freed, as she sat up, as the grogginess she felt was disappearing because of whatever healing her friend had done. “I know it’s not the same as what my father can do?”

“It’s something,” Elizabeth said as felt the surrealness of the situation as she felt hand bounds disappear as she still couldn’t understand the situation and how her childhood best friend had suddenly appeared in the room and brought her back to consciousness. “But you… you shouldn’t be here,” she asked as she sat up and stared into the face of her best friend. “You look different” she asked as she accessed the change in her friend’s clothes, and hair.

“Courtesy of my dear cousin Kylie,” Grace smiled as she looked down at the long blonde hair instead of her dark brunette locks, and the clothes and padded bra that made her more of a knockout then she had been before, “Her modeling connections worked wonders in this disguise” she assured her friend as she looked down and looked down at the very different wardrobe. “It might not work for the long term, but it’s enough for the short-term.”

“Whether it’s a disguise or a dye job, you should not be here Grace” Elizabeth said as she was feeling surer of herself as she tried to sit up in bed and glanced around her room and saw the door that was locked from the inside so no one could come in, as fear coursed through her because knew this changed everything, it’s not supposed to like this, she mused to herself. It is only supposed to me, and not two against everyone? “I can handle this myself…” as the fear coursed through. “I can’t have it on my conscious if something happens to you because you are in here to protect me?”

“I know you can, but I needed to know for sure that you were okay…” Grace muttered as she stood up as she felt better now that her friend wasn’t so drugged into submission This place knew of Elizabeth’s issues with substances and they still drug her until her she was a zombie she muttered to herself as she now had to question how much Khivar had control of the place. “I wasn’t able to protect you seven years ago, and I will never forgive myself, so this is a little something.”

“Grace, you have Jake and Eva waiting at home for you,” Elizabeth asked. “You have a life anyone would dream of, and you’re risking it” she murmured as she thought of her brother and her niece. She would never forgive herself if she prevented her brother from having the life he deserved, and she was not going to allow him to lose the love of his life, or for her niece to be without her mother. “I am nothing. This is my mission, and you should not get burned because of this. As I told you, it would have been worse if it was you all those years ago, and I can’t have on my conscious if you get hurt now.”

“You’re not nothing Elizabeth,” Grace said softly. “You mean the world to the family and two young boys waiting at home for you to come home. If being here helps than I am willing to pay any price,” she sighed. “Jake will understand.”

“Will he?” Elizabeth asked as she was not too sure if her brother would understand. “This is my punishment, and my lot in life to deal with…”

“Jake wouldn’t want you without backup, and he doesn’t want to lose you,” Grace sighed.

“I am only his sister; you are his wife” Elizabeth murmured. “I may be blood, but you guys took vows which I missed. He loves you, and therefore you matter more to him, and you have a daughter who wants her mother in her life. You saw what it was like to be without your mother when you were that age. So, why would want you to risk it for your own daughter?”

“She will understand when she’s old enough to understand that I fought for what is right,” Grace murmured as she the sling of that dart about her own past found it’s target in her heart because she knew how her life had been affected by not having her mother in her life, and she had known how much of a miracle she and her father had gotten hen they had gotten her mother back. Not everyone was that fortunate, but she also knew she wasn’t about to let them lose Elizabeth without a fight, and she still had her abilities and gifts, and she was determined to make it a fight so that they could save Elizabeth the pain. Images of her husband and daughter were always with her, but she knew this was about what was right, and she would never forgive herself if she had not done something in the battle against evil. “And plus, it’s not forever, and she won’t even remember if I am gone for a few days or not…”

“You’re risking too much,” Elizabeth asked as they tried to keep their talk lowkey as to not get through the thin walls “A few days could end up being forever, and you won’t get the miracle that your mother got.”

“Let me risk it,” Grace asked.

“How do you get in here anyways,” Elizabeth asked as she knew it was too much of a risk for her friend, but she wasn’t going to succeed in getting her to change her mind so she was curious about how it was accomplished. “I don’t see how you could get in here with this place vetting their patients, and you’re much more sane than I am, and as much as I hate, I am in need of this place once I am finished vanquishing Khivar, to be able to become strong for my boys, but you’re saint compared to me?”

Grace only shook her head to those words, “I am not a saint, no where close to one, and you are not too far away from being able to go home. You are stronger than you know,” she sighed at she knew while her friend needed the help. Being home for those two weeks did a lot more than any shrink will be able to do. In the long run, Elizabeth needed her family, not the medical system. “I am not here under my own name, because I am not that stupid. To everyone here, I am Abigail Henderson” Grace admitted “In for postpartum depression that was so severe that I was experiencing delusions” she asked. “For the protection of my husband; Frank and made up son; Dustin, I am seeking help for a little while to get counselling…”

“How are you handling that?” Elizabeth asked as her mind tried to contemplate how complex her friend had made her cover identity. “The fake ID?”

“A friend helped me set it up,” Grace smiled. “In the course of my years, I have made some great friends who know the trick of the trades to make the hospital believe something that won’t get back to my daily life when I go home” she assured her friend. “Jake and Eva are protected. Everyone at home are…”

“I hope so,” Elizabeth asked as she was not convinced that her friend could sell it long-term.

“Trust me,” Grace assured her friend.

“I still have to draw out youknowwho and you’re now right here in the line of fire. And given how successful your father was in provoking me to an eruption, the fire might be starting anytime now?”

“Then it will be over sooner?” Grace chuckled as she got up as she checked out the door “You know the security around this place is very dubious,” she muttered out loud as it had been too easy for her to get from the room that had been assigned to her to Elizabeth locked room, as she worked to make sure that the coast was clear, as she turned back to face her friend. “Something tells me Salazar has more pull around here then we were believing” and she quickly departed and snuck back to her room…Stevens was an idiot for picking this place Grace muttered to herself. Money talks…

Elizabeth wanted it now to be over because she feared for her friend. She did not want to face her brother when this went against them Two against the system is not the answer. It should have just been me

Because she knew they were not going to be lucky. So, she prayed Grace left quickly.

But in the meantime, hours later Elizabeth sat in the community room and watched some television as once Grace had left and she played drugged out, which she knew she had a talent for albeit from when she was actually stoned out of her mind and it wasn’t an act, but this time after Grace’s healing abilities, Elizabeth felt freer and yet played compliant so that she was let out of her room and back into the general public so that she could see if the ploy worked and they would maneuver Salazar out of his hiding spot.

She and Grace’s hospital persona were keeping apart so not attract attention, and Elizabeth had fears that this would all be a disaster and someone was getting to get hurt in all this, as she tried to watch the crap cooking show that was on television. Fluff television and her mind was not for fluff but it is not like she had a choice and so she had to grin and bear it.

“You okay?” came a voice as Elizabeth twisted to see who was talking to her because besides her unexpected visitor in Grace, no one had talked to her except the professionals who she was due to meet with until that afternoon. “You made quite the scene yesterday,” she said a man who was almost as young as her it looked like, but then she should be wary of anyone talking to her given Nicholas was very baby faced still at his age, which was very close to what her parents would have been when her nightmare started.

“Yeah,” Elizabeth said carefully.

“Saw you arrive,” the man asked. “I hear you have quite the reputation from back home?”

“Murder will do that to a person,” Elizabeth replied as she tried to ignore the stare of this individual, but it was not that easy because despite his young looks, he had a commanding presence. “You get quite the reputation that way… especially when it’s the second time around with the crime?”

“Really?” the man asked. “That’s rough…”

“Rougher for the other guys,” Elizabeth snarked. “Because I more than fine with it…” she sighed. “I am sitting on easy street compared to either of my targets”

“So, no remorse, huh?” the man asked with a sly smile that indicated that he thought the notion was quite sexy?

“Not one iota,” Elizabeth smirked. “My only regret is that I did not do it seven years ago, otherwise you will not be hearing me regret it,” she sighed. “I guess my only one is that I wish parents didn’t have to live with the fallout?” she sighed. “But then given what they did, and how little faith they have in me, maybe I should not care about them…” she asked as she knew she had to keep her rouse up on betrayed she was, at her parents for their actions.

“So, what did the unlucky do to get on your bad side?” as the man asked.

“Made my life a living nightmare,” Elizabeth admitted as flashes rang through her mind of the torture, and the pain that she had gone through as she squirmed and tried to ignore it. “It’s still raw so I don’t want to talk about it, because I have lived too long with it as it is, just know that he deserved it…”

“So, why aren’t you prison?” the man asked. “If you admit you are a killer, twice over, and are guilty and you don’t show any remorse for what you have done…”

“Not one bit,” Elizabeth confirmed with a smirk.

“Then why not prison?” the man asked.

“Because they were shown the light” Elizabeth murmured as she continued to look at the television as they watched the movie that came on after the cooking show. “They felt this fine place is enough torture for me for the time being.”

“That is a good deal?”

“You won’t hear me bitching about it,” Elizabeth smiled. “As I said it’s easy street,” she sighed as her mystery companion continued to watch television as other eyes watched her starring at the television and making casual talk with the person next to her…

“Guerin is creating quite the reputation here at that place,” came a voice as the eyes turned away from his prey and focused on his partner. “The doctors don’t like her. Apparently, she mouths off in group session. She also does not show any remorse for her crimes and yesterday, she caused quite the racket, so she knows how to fight and she quite the rap sheet. “And get this, this is her second death?”

“It is, is it?” came the smile from the man watching Elizabeth Yeah, quite the rap sheet you have there Ms. Guerin, and maybe we can use some of that aggression for our cause

“No wonder Boss seems intrigued by her…”

“He does, doesn’t he?” came the voice as his eyes settled on Elizabeth as he did assessment to know whether she was legitimate with her behavior. “Of course, he has history with the family she comes from, and she was put through an experience seven years ago, at the hands of one of his flunkies. Nicholas never wanted to let her out of his grasp, and she eventually got herself loose in a way that makes Boss thinks it is time for her to come into his organization.

“Did Boss order it?”

“Nicholas did his own thing but it’s clear the Boss didn’t seem to mind....” said the voice as he has a serious hate for her family. “He felt it was fitting…’ he admitted. “Because he has the feeling, she can deliver the final comeuppance?”

“What is the Boss up to?”

“He’s keeping it under wraps” as they turned around and walked away from the viewing room and away from the crowds. “He is looking for payback”

Grace was in her room, where she had crept back to while everyone was at lunch. She didn’t try to get close to Elizabeth for fear of making it too obvious something was up as she had to stay close to the ground before she was able to get out of this place and good back to her room. She knew she had some time before her fake session with doctors who tried to reassure that she would be back home with her husband and son before she knew it.

She knew someone with her symptoms would not be going home that quickly, so she abides by her time. Knowing she had time, so she sat down on her bed, and took the phone she stored out of mattress, and she did some dialing through Skype.

“Hello?” she asked a little hauntingly.

“Oh my god Grace,” came Jake voice as the video popped up on the screen. “Where the hell are you?”

“I am sure my father has already told you,” Grace murmured as she didn’t relish the concern and pain on her husband’s face as she didn’t engage in the preamble that she knew would be coming “How’s Eva?”

“She’s perfect, but she would be more perfect if her mother was here and wasn’t playing Nancy Drew/?” Jake asked as his eyes settled on the screen as he could not believe how different his wife looked. “My god, what are you wearing?”

“I had to make it somewhat believable,” Grace murmured as she looked down at her wardrobe and knew it had to be a shock to Jake because it was such a change from her normal look “I have made up a different identity so they don’t know my real name, or my real-life story so you don’t have to worry about me or that this will be affecting you back home or at work.”

“The hell with my work Grace or our real life,” Jake asked as he batted off the concern as he could only stare in shock at his wife. “What I care about is my wife. Our marriage, that you are going to be alive to come home to me, and our daughter. God Grace, what you’re doing is dangerous?” he murmured. “Do you know what you’re potentially risking” he muttered. “My god, you look like a ghost?” as he could not believe how pale she was, and how this was not his dream girl.

“Well,” Grace sighed because she did know that it must be a sight for her husband to looking at “I did have to make believable, and as far as possible from our real life,” Grace asked as she glanced around the room so she could know that she could continue their conversation. “I did know that I would be taking too many chances if I kept it close my usual…”

“At least you are sane enough to know that,” Jake muttered as could not believe how different his wife was looking, and how she was looking like someone who was not the love of his life. Flashes washed over him of how much he loved her, from when they were teenagers and how it had been because of how normal and simple she was, despite her gifts, and how she hadn’t been flashy “I want my wife back?”

“You will get her back, just…” Grace sighed because she could see the hurt and disappointment in her husband’s face as she knew she had to be hurting Jake with her actions, and while she wished she hadn’t had to do it, but still, if it did help the situation. And best of all, if it kept his sister alive longer… than she was all for it.

“Just what?” Jake muttered “When are you coming home?”

“I don’t know,” Grace admitted. “This place feels different Jake and because I am getting this vibe from it. It means I can’t leave it yet.”

“How different, it’s a mental hospital Grace. It’s supposed to feel different?”

“Yeah,” Grace admitted. “I know my hospitals Jake. I was in enough of them during those scary months, years ago, and then in my studies but this one feels off. It’s like it’s about to erupt?” she sighed. “You could say that I have a hospital radar

“What does your radar say about this one?” Jake asked as if he did not believe her…

“It says it’s about to erupt,” Grace admitted. “It’s scary even more than you would think of a mental hospital. The doctors do not seem to be helping. They don’t care about the people here, and some of the people on the other hand seem like the lowest…”

“Well youknowwho is supposed to be there,” Jake muttered as he was not willing to speak the monster’s name, especially on a tenuous connection. “He’s not the sanest of individuals.”

“I haven’t seen him yet,” Grace admitted. “And maybe because of who he is, he’s taken hold of this place. But Jake, I can’t leave yet because I need to know your sister is okay that she’ll be okay…” she sighed. “This place doesn’t feel safe enough to leave her alone…”

“Grace, if this is about the past?” Jake asked.

“No,” Grace shook her head as she knew it was easy to say it was, but it wasn’t although she knew people didn’t believe her, and maybe she didn’t believe herself either as she said it “I know the past is the past…”

“Do you?” Jake asked. “It seems me that you’re hung up on it, when you should be home with me, and our daughter?”

“I will be home, just not right now…” Grace murmured.

“So, when?” Jake asked.

“Jake, maybe you’re right, maybe I should have left the past in the past and should never have come here but I am here now, and therefore I have seen the place and I need to understand more of the situation, and I need to know Elizabeth will be able to handle it.” she sighed. “I do want to come home to you and Eva. Don’t think I don’t, but I can’t come home now when this place feels like it will burn down at anytime.”

“I don’t want you to go down in flames, if it does erupt” Jake murmured as fear coursed through him. He might be normal, and had no powers but his intuition knew this wasn’t going to be good and that his wife was just asking for trouble but he also knew if he forced her to come home or if he went up there himself than he was only asking for trouble. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Grace smiled. “You are the best thing… and we made something incredible together with our daughter.”

“Who will be waiting for you to come home with me,” Jake murmured. “Just come home okay?”

“I promise…”

“Don’t promise,” Jake said worried by the word. “Just do not give us more to worry about, okay? Because when you think about what you are leaving behind, think about your parents will you? You do not know how upset your father was when he demanded to know why I did not know what was going on, and your mother is scared. She already has enough on her plate, and she doesn’t need to worry about you, okay, because before we only had to worry about Elizabeth, and now you’re giving us more, and we already have more than we can handle.”

“I am sorry,” Grace sighed because she didn’t think about her parents, and how upset they would be with what she had done, or her siblings, and little brother and knew she was doing it for them so they could move on, and know they can be happy with the future, whatever it may be. “They will understand in the end…”

“You better hope you come home otherwise we might never get over it…” Jake murmured as he looked at the time. “I know you have to go, but before you do go, how is my sister?”

“Trying hard to alienate everyone,” Grace murmured with a laugh and Jake did have to laugh at that because it was so much like his sister that it hurt to know that he had missed so much of that in her, and knew both she and Grace were now in danger. “Which is why I worry about leaving her in this place. This does not feel right, and she has been doing her routine well, but this place does not take her attitude well, and they are not even trying to help her. They drug them to make them submissive. Which is what the did about her eruption Jake, which I am sure my dad told you about.”

“He did?” Jake confirmed. “Drugged?”

“Yeah,” Grace confirmed. “If I wasn’t here then I don’t even want to think what they would have done to her…” she sighed. “They know her past, and that she has issues with substances and still they drugged her into basically a coma. If I wasn’t here…”

“Yeah,” Jake nodded as he did not want to think about it. “Just make it through and come home me and Eva, okay?”

“Okay,” Grace sighed as she disconnected and looked around the room and knew this was far from a spa vacation that she was taking away from her marriage or being a mother because she loved her little family and wanted to be with them more than anything as she envisioned her little girl, growing up to be such a picture perfect copy of the best and worst of her parents as she had the stubborn gene already engrained in her, and she missed her little girl and missed her husband but looking around the room, she shuddered at the vibe she was getting of the place.

It scared her.

Dropping the phone, Jake who was at their house and missing his wife walked upstairs to check on his daughter and assured the little that her mother would be home soon, “She just has to do this for a little while, but she loves you” Jake assured the sleeping little girl who didn’t care that her mother was off doing a dangerous stunt that could harm her in the end. He knew it was not to reassure the one year old, but to reassure him.

Walking downstairs, he heard the doorbell. Rushing to get to it in time, he opened the door, and was surprised to see his guest. “Why are you here?” as the last thing he wanted to deal with was more drama as he was currently brimming with it…

“Wow that is something a sister wants to hear from her big brother,” Belle Guerin asked as the thirteen-year-old looked up at her older brother “Can I come in?”

“Do Mom and Dad know you are here?” Jake asked as he checked the time.

“Yeah they do,” Belle agreed as she walked into the house past her big brother who could only look at his little sister with wariness as if he had seen this before and it was getting old “I had to get out of the house,” she muttered. “It was getting a little too much, and too intense if you know what I mean. You shouldn’t worry because I told them I was coming over here…”

“And they allowed you?” Jake asked unsure.

“The last thing they care about is me at the moment, as they are still too worried about her” Belle murmured. “They are consumed with worry and it’s making the atmosphere depressing, and I have had my fill, so I needed a breather, and so I thought, why not come over here?”

“She has a name you know Belle,” Jake sighed. “And it’s definitely not her fault you know…”

“Still things were better before she came home…” Belle asked. “Why did she have to mess things up.” muttered as she fell onto the couch and looked up at her stern looking older brother. “Come off it, it’s not the end of the world that I am here is it?”

“I don’t need this Belle because I have too much on my plate,” Jake muttered.

“It’s just you and Eva, right?” Belle asked of her niece, as it still weirded her out to think that she was only thirteen years old and she had a niece and that she now had two married brothers, and life that was very different from those of her friends as she wasn’t the average newly minted teenager “Grace is in New York with her friends. When by the way, is she coming home?”

“You didn’t hear the latest? Jake asked annoyed.

“You meant there is more intrigue?” Belle muttered. “What else is new in this family. When has there ever been a time when something isn’t ruining our lives?”

“You’re jaded?” Jake asked.

“Wouldn’t you be if you had to live this life?” Belle muttered as her deepest wish was to transport back to a time where there wasn’t pain and suffering or to look into the eyes of her parents and know that they had seen the worst that life could offer and while they were still together, it wasn’t easy, and it wasn’t carefree.

“I guess it hasn’t been easy for you?” Jake muttered as they had long realized that Belle had seen the worst off it. As he had been able to get out early as he had unofficially lived with Grace once she and her family moved back to Roswell, and before those days, well, he had been always been visiting Las Cruces when he wasn’t working during that year in the immediate aftermath of everything and so he had been away from the darkness that had taken hold of the house and their parent’s marriage for a significant chunk of time, while meant that unfortunately for her Belle had grown up in a house that had her older sister self destructing because of the madness of someone who hated their family, and most of all their father.

“I tried to be better for it, but it’s not easy” Belle admitted as she knew despite her appearance as a jaded thirteen year old who had experienced too much still she had developed a genuine love of life with her friends and school mostly had been an cocoon. Unfortunately for her, her homelife was not one that could be considered carefree. Instead it was a movie-of-the week or mini-series every single day until Elizabeth vanished, and even then, it was not easy house to live in. “Living up to the shadows of the failures and pain in our family?”

“I am sorry for that, and I am sorry if you felt that I wasn’t there for you” Jake muttered as he did feel guilt that he had coped with his own pain by being absent more than he was present at their family home.

“You had to get through the day,” Belle muttered. “I know it, but it’s hard you know, because I have the sense that you and Elizabeth had a vastly different family than me or even Emily have been able to experience. Because as you know, everything is different?”

“Yeah it is,” Jake admitted. “We’re trying you know…”

“I know,” Belle acknowledged. “I know I shouldn’t take it out on our sister because I know she can’t help it, but I want it simple, and I know it is not simple…”

“No, it is not” Jake allowed.

“So, where is Grace?” Belle muttered as she prepared to hear whatever she was going to hear to signify that their lives were not so over it.

“Playing backup for our sister up at that mental hospital?” Jake muttered. “So, yeah, she’s not in New York…”

“Holy Shit,” Belle shouted as the words struck as her jaw dropped as it sunk in. “What the hell…”
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 35 - 08/18/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

What the hell Belle whispered in a more even tone but still full of outrage moments later as she looked up at her big brother. “Is she out of her mind?” she wanted to know of her brother. “What makes her think she can go up and play backup?” she asked as it made no sense and Jake knew they had been keep a lot of it from the younger generation and Belle was part of that generation. She did not know half of what was going down. She might pick up on things more often then naught, but still, she didn’t know truly grittiness of it all, and for that he was happy she could be in the oblivious but it was becoming obvious to not only him that she was growing up and they couldn’t keep her isolation for much longer, otherwise a different kind of carnage might occur, and none of them would want that…

“It’s too complicated to talk about…” Jake muttered because he knew his parents wanted Belle to live through the blissful ignorance of what was going on and he didn’t know how much that was possible given his sister was smarter than the average teenager and had abilities to pick up things as he cursed that his sister couldn’t have the carefree life that he and Elizabeth were able to have before everything went down. Life is completely different and there is no going back…

“I am thirteen you know,” Belle muttered. “I wish you and Mom and Dad would realize that sometimes and tell me what is going on,” she sighed because she hated being in the dark. And while she had developed the key skill to survive in this clan of eavesdropping but still there was a whole side of it that she was in the dark about and she was resenting it as she was getting to be a teenager and could see more than she ever did before “This is about Elizabeth isn’t it?”

“Some of it,” Jake allowed.

“Well then” Belle muttered as some of her obvious resentment stayed with her despite trying to get over it as it was hard to just get seven years of scar tissue, but she knew it had to be hard for her sister, but still, she was thirteen and mostly only thinking of herself and how it was causing her pain. “Does everything have to go back to what was done to her in those days. Why can’t it be for one minute something different?”

“It can’t be helped,” Jake muttered as he truly did wish for something different. Anything different so that it did not mean the past was back to haunt. Despite evidence, they had been able to spend time over these years rebuilding the damage, and now that was all on the edge of being wiped away again. “It’s not like we want this to be happening to any of us you know. You don’t know how much I wish you could have the childhood that Elizabeth and I had, or even Colin and Liam had before everything went down, but it’s impossible because what happened did happen and we have to figure out how to make the best out of the life we do have now…”

“That is crap you know,” Belle muttered. “We should be letting what happen define us…”

“It did,” Jake admitted. “And therefore, we’re trying to make the best out of it. Mom and Dad do not want you to know but maybe it is time for you to know. Belle, this family has a lot of enemies…”

“I know we do,” Belle muttered. “It’s kind of obvious given what happened to our sister?”

“Yes, she does need to be a lesson to us” Jake admitted. “Belle, she was kidnapped and tortured, and forever changed because of who we are, and because they wanted to hurt our father,” he murmured softly as his little sister flinched at what her brother was describing. “It was hell on earth. I was there when we found her and Belle, it was brutal, and we should not want it to happen to anyone else, so I know you do not like the leash that you feel is around your neck?”

“Would you?” Belle muttered through gritted teeth “Would you want your daily lives monitored and double checked, and freedom to be so fleeting?”

“To keep you and safe, we’ll take it” Jake muttered as flashes of their sister’s torment flashed through his head. “Believe me, it’s not only you who is monitored you know because we all still have those trackers. None of us are exempted. No matter how old you are or whether we have superpowers and special abilities or not.,” Jake acknowledged as the self described normal one in their clan and his marriage. “We might hate it and you’re not the only one who finds it’s restrictive. But it is a necessity because we did learn the hard way what happens when you have too much freedom. Yes, of course it sucks, and I wish we could go back to those days where did not have people watching us, but it is not possible. Because if we took off the restraints then we risk the past repeating and given what happened to Elizabeth and because of it. Yeah, we are not going to let it happen to any of you”

“I know it was bad…” Belle muttered. “You and Mom and Dad don’t think I didn’t see what happened, but I did, and I know how bad it was…”

“No, you don’t,” Jake sighed as flashes continued to come of the torment that he had seen in his sister’s eyes as she battled to make it to tomorrow. “Not really. You were only six when we lost her to Nicholas, and we were able to shield you from brunt of it. Living that reality was brutal Belle. One day we had a sister. The next we did not. Elizabeth, she was a force of nature. Feisty, full of life and ready to battle our enemies, and take down anyone who stood in her way and then she was gone. What we got back was a shell of a girl. Sure, she survived her torture but in many ways she did not, and we lost her that day and in that building. You will never know what it was like to live those days. I know it’s hard for you to understand, and I am sorry so much of your life has been impacted….” Jake murmured as the weight of those times washed over him. “I said it was hell, and I meant it. To live during those times, and to be affected the way we were. It was not only our sister. It was me and Grace. It was everyone. To us, to those who survived those times, it felt like it was the earth was opening and swallowed the lives we knew, and nothing was ever the same. That we could even piece together pieces of happiness or normalcy is a damn miracle. You are right when you say that everything is different. It is. Completely different. And yet we’re trying to deal with it every single day so that you, Emily, and the others can have some semblance of normal because it wasn’t a normal time, and we don’t want to be on you…”

“Then why would Grace want to risk it?” Belle asked as she did not understand as she signed because despite what her family thought. She did have a long memory and remembered her sister back then and knew how bad it got, and how it wasn’t normal or simply a daughter rebelling against a life that wanted to control her, when Belle could see how her parents were trying to make it the next day and try to will their daughter to recover, but her sister had other ideas and was resisting the help, and eventually it got so bad that it took her sister away from them and the six year old child in her yearned for what she lost, and knew she had lost.

“Because she feels guilty” Jake muttered.

Why would she feel guilty?” Belle asked.

“Because they didn’t initially want our sister, you know,” Jake said of his wife’s burden. “They wanted Grace. She was the chosen one because of her father, but we were together that night just out of reach. Instead they took our sister and put her through a nightmare that no one should want to experience. It was hell Belle.”

“Why?” Belle said as she did not understand what she was hearing. “Why could they want Grace or even our sister?”

“Because they want someone who has your blood and DNA to control,” Jake muttered. “To be able to create something to be able to get back to their world that turned their back on them, and who they could use as a pawn to get what they want. To ultimately hurt us.”

“That makes no sense…” Belle muttered.

“To a thirteen-year-old maybe, and I am grateful for that to be honest because you don’t want to be the one who they try to target next” Jake sighed as he was forever grateful that Nicholas was dead, but to know Khivar was still out there, and no one could be truly safe until vanquished him, that dug at him. “One day you will get, but until that day, know that we’re trying to end it so that we can make something out of this life that we now have…”

“Look, I know that man was tracking me,” Belle muttered. “Elizabeth says that is what they argued about that night when she killed him,” she sighed. “Because she that he had been collecting pictures of me, and of Emily…” she shuddered at the possibility. “She doesn’t know what his plan was with me, but he was formulating one…”

“Then accept that you got the break our sister didn’t get okay,” Jake murmured. “You have a chance at a normal life. One that our sister didn’t get because her path became rocky,” he sighed because rocky had been a too kind to describe the path their sister had travel down and he only pray that because she was only 23, that would mean she still had a chance to make something of the rest of her life, and at least redeem the pain for something happy. He could only pray, “We don’t want to take a chance of losing you.” he sighed as he didn’t even want to think about the notion that Nicholas could have been monitoring the younger generation to be able to strike, or for some other insane reason. “Accept that we don’t want history to repeat?”

“Still I don’t get why Grace would do this?” Belle muttered.

“You’re not the only one,” Jake admitted. “She feels like it’s her way to help our sister and end this madness.”

“It might get her killed?” Belle muttered because she did know how little luck their family had achieved over the years, and how things usually ran when they were trying to win the battle.

“Let’s hope that it doesn’t happen,” Jake shuddered at the fear.

“Yeah,” Belle muttered. “Why do these people hate our families?”

“Because Dad, Max, and Aunt Isabel had the fortune of being happy here on Earth…” Jake muttered. “And they can’t let us have happiness without it benefiting them, and by benefiting them, it only brings us pain.”

“That sucks,” Belle muttered.

“Yeah it does,” Jake agreed. “So, know what Mom and Dad are facing. They have enough on their plates with you getting on their case and making things difficult.”

“How do you know I am making things difficult?” Belle muttered. “You don’t live at home anymore. For all you know, I could be my delightful personality at home,” she snarked.

“Your delightful personality is what concerns me,” Jake muttered as they had all had runs in with her delightful personality at home which could run hot and cold at a moment’s notice and knew his parents had too much on their plate to deal with a sullen teenager pissed that life had gotten too complicated for her family, or that all the joy in their clan had been removed. “No, I don’t live at home anymore, but home is not limited to your attitude, as I personally have seen quite enough of it…”

“Jake, I know Mom and Dad have it tough,” Belle muttered. “I am trying to keep out of the fire, and my nose to ground, and actually haven’t done much to get on their bad side because I know they have though with Elizabeth,” she sighed. “I just wished it wasn’t as depressing at home?”

“They will come through it,” Jake muttered they did before. “Just don’t get into any trouble…”

“What trouble do you mean?” Belle muttered as if she did not know what her older brother was referring for… “I have been a complete angel at home,” she lied with a wide smile and Jake could only shake his head.

“Hacking your GSP chips in your phone and watch to give false locations for your movements when you’re out of the house? Jake muttered.

“Do you have any evidence of that?” Belle asked outraged.

“Belle, I am a cop and I have seen you at the mall or elsewhere when you should be at school or somewhere and Mom and Dad are oblivious, and there is only one way you could have done that without getting them on your case…”

“For your information, I haven’t engaged in what we are discussing in like a year since I got caught changing my grades at school…” Belle smiled as she remembered how successful she was in this little mission. Until the school caught on, and called in her parents, and she blamed the tension at home over the fact that Elizabeth was missing, and the sudden arrival of her nephews Drew and little Mick and they softened, and all she had to deal with a month grounding, but that was all.

“I don’t believe you,” Jake muttered.

“Honest Jake, I was just being a normal teenager in those other cases you claim were me, and how do you know I was there. I could have been someone else” Belle muttered.

“You’re very distinctive sis,” Jake smiled. “I would know you anywhere…”

“Why didn’t you rat me out?” Belle asked.

“I was working on my pressing cases at the time,” Jake muttered.

“I was being a teenager,” Belle resisted the charms of her cop of a brother. “I am careful, and so, no, I haven’t hacked into anything of late” she sighed because she knew she had made use of her computer skills she had come by over the years, and had run out of luck on one occasion, but usually she was careful…

“Why did you even change your grades anyways?” Jake muttered. “Your grades don’t follow you to high school when you get there next year,” he shuddered at the though of his little sister in high school, and he knew that it gave his parents a fright too…

“It was fun,” Belle smiled.

“Jesus,” Jake muttered. “You are going to be a handful one of these days?”

“I am already there,” Belle laughed. “Mom and Dad and I get along better if they think I am somewhere other than where I am…”

“And that gets you in the situation Elizabeth found herself in,” Jake muttered. “So, all I am asking is be careful. Nicholas is dead, but we do have other enemies.”

“I am careful,” Belle insisted.

“I hope so,” Jake muttered because he wasn’t so sure he believed his sister as he looked at the time and knew he better go tell his father-in-law that his daughter had reached out, as worries about his little sister rattled around in his head, and then he was struck by a though. Hmm, could it work? he asked himself as he got up from the couch and went into the other room and found Grace’s old laptop. It was now empty, but in working condition. Grace had moved to a new one for her studies, but they kept it in case…

“Do you want some easy money?” Jake asked his sister. “It would keep you out of trouble?”

“It depends…” Belle muttered.

“Depends on what?” Jake asked.

“What are we talking about…” Belle asked as she did not like the expression on her big brother’s face.

“I have to go and run an errand. Shouldn’t be more than an hour or so, but Eva is upstairs sleeping, and you’re old enough now, and I know you have babysat Drew and Mick on occasion if Mom and Dad are doing quick errands?”

“Yeah I have,” Belle confirmed.

“Good, then you can handle a sleeping one year old” Jake smiled. “I will have my phone if you need to call?”

“Anything else?” Belle asked.

“I want you to use your hacking skills and try to get into New Mexico State Hospital patient database and check up on our sister, and Grace,” Jake muttered to the shock jaw dropping of his younger sister. “She’s using a fake alias up there, and she didn’t tell me what it was, so find out what is, and anything else you might find out. And I’ll pay for your trouble?”

“You just told me to stop hacking?” Belle asked. What is with this family of mine?

“To evade your whereabouts,” Jake muttered. “This is for the greater good…”

“Is it?” Belle asked. “Should a cop with Grandpa’s force be approving of minors engaging in cyber crimes?” she asked in slightly amazed and amused grin because it was not something she had experienced from her older brother. “Shouldn’t you of all people be above this?”

“I should be but if we have family members risking it all…” Jake admitted then it’s anyone’s guess what will happen and what methods I will use “If you are any good than you can snoop your heart out for the greater good, “Grandpa will probably approve…”

“Would he?” Belle asked as she wasn’t too sure…”

“Hacking is simple compared some of the crimes we have done in our past,” Jake muttered and what Grandpa has had to cover up for us. “Do you want to do it?”

“Of course,” Belle said quickly. “But if Mom and Dad come down on me,” Belle asked. “I can blame you, right?”

“Yes,” Jake confirmed.

“Then million times yes,” Belle said as she sat up as Jake put the laptop in front of her. “What grade of computer is this, by the way?”

“It’s Grace’s old one, but it still pretty up the date, just be careful, okay?”

“Jake, you are asking me to hack into a mental hospital, so yeah, I think I will try to be careful,” Belle muttered as Jake only shook his head and headed upstairs to check on his daughter before he was quickly out of the room, as Belle looked at the computer with a lot of glee. “So, what kind of mischief can I get in with this piece of technology?” Belle murmured as she got to work as she kept the baby monitor next to her… “It’s not as up to date as mine at home, but I can do something with it…” as she worked to greatly improve the firewalls before she started her attack.

“I am scared Max,” Beth said over at the house she was sharing with her husband and young son. Worry about their eldest had taken over the house since they received the news that Grace had decided to play Nancy Drew and head up and play backup and now had put herself in the range of fire at the mental hospital up north, and now was right in the line of fire as they tried to draw out Khivar. Neither could stop thinking of even as they both had closed their practices or in Beth’s case pass her patients to her partner, and Max had closed up shop because neither could think about what going on with their patients, when all they could think about was their eldest daughter.

They had taken Christopher to the park, and the zoo, and tried to keep his mind full of activity but neither were themselves in the mood. Now, they were at home and Christopher was upstairs in his bedroom reading before heading to bed, and Beth was laying in Max’s arms on the couch as they tried to watch a movie on one of the streaming services.

“Me too,” Max said softly as he wished he could take the solace in that he had his wife in his arms, but his mind was too full of worry for his daughter. Once it was Elizabeth, he was worried about, and now it was his own daughter. And prayed that this worked out and did not end up in a disaster, but he did not have confidence in that because nothing had worked out that way in the past when something had gone off the rails. “I just wish she hadn’t gone these extremes?”

“Even if she stays safe,” Beth murmured as she took comfort of being in her husband’s arms. “Still it’s such a risk. She has a life with Jake and their daughter, so, why would she take the chance?”

“Because she’s afraid. So much of what happened seven years changed her, and changed all of us,” Max reasoned. “She feels like this is her chance to help, to stand guard.”

“She was fortunate that she was out of the line of fire back then,” Beth shuddered to think of what would have happened if her daughter had not been with Jake that night. Of course, she had thought she was too young to go to the degree she had with her boyfriend but it had saved her daughter the pain and torture they had seen delivered to Elizabeth, and the Guerin family, and for that it was bittersweet because their daughter had been saved, and yet, all of them had been changed by the events of that time.

“I know,” Max nodded as he knew that time had been intense to get through and is still amazed they had been able to get through it, with any sort of sanity still in tack but knew not everyone did, and his daughter is battling survivor’s guilt because it was going to be her, if she had not been with Jake that night.

“I just feel like this is too much of a risk to have taken when she has so much on the line now,” Beth muttered.

“I know,” Max admitted because they all had too much on the line now. Lives they had crafted and happiness they had been able to craft after such despair, and to know it could all be torn apart again, well, Max did not know if he had the energy for it again. To do it again, and to live through the nightmares that would result. Please Gracie, take care of yourself

“Thankfully, the girls are off,” Beth admitted. Carrie was back in Maryland spending a few days with Justin before heading back to Duke’s campus, and Alexandra had left that morning for Cambridge to begin again at Harvard, as senior year waited for both twins. “I would have too much to worry about if they were still here?”

“I know,” Max sighed because he had known that Alexandra had left that morning precisely to get out of the line of fire because she knew if she had stayed the few days she was planning to that she would give her parents to much to worry about, and she just prayed that her eldest sister would have the same goals in keeping out of the fire. “Have you talked to Carrie?”

“Briefly,” Beth admitted. “Only to know she got there safely, and the funeral went fine, but she’s distracted and not wanting to answer too many other questions.”

“I’ll take being distracted over her love life than the alternative,” Max sighed because he would rather his daughter worry about Justin and Matthew and then serving herself up to a madman that was Khivar.

“Me too,” Beth smiled as there was a knock on the front door, and a ring of the doorbell. Both groaned as they didn’t wish to be interrupted by the real world as they both say up but it was Max who decided to get the door as Beth stayed on the couch as she felt her baby and prayed for a sane world for the newest Evans when he or she was born.

Praying that he would not open the door to Jim or some other authority telling him that hell had broken out up north, Max prayed it was not going to be bad news. Opening the door, he was relieved to see his son-in-law.

“Jake?” Max asked as he allowed the man in. “What are you doing here. Is everything alright with you and our granddaughter?”

“Yes,” Jake nodded quickly. “Belle is babysitting for the moment,” he sighed as he though of the fact he had left his thirteen-year-old sister at his house unleashing her skills in any number of cyber ways while also looking after his daughter. “I wanted to come over because I didn’t know if Grace has reached out to you or not?”

“No,” Max muttered. “She probably knows we’d have her head for what she did…”

“Yeah,” Jake admitted as he knew he was not better in his own reaction to his wife’s escapades. “Regardless, I only wanted to come over and tell you and Beth that Grace did reach out to me, earlier today…”

“Thank god,” Max murmured. “Come on in…”

Jake walked into the house.

“What do you mean your brother hired you to hack into a mental hospital?” Maria Deluca Guerin asked her impressionable and very intelligent thirteen year old as Belle had called the house and asked Liam to bring over her laptop from her room because she wanted to transfer some files to the one she was working on for her brother, and unfortunately Liam got intercepted by Maria who came with her son and found out the lay of the land of her eldest son’s request after finding the thirteen year old babysitting for her niece.

“Cool,” Liam laughed at the outrage on their mother’s face. “I didn’t know Jake had it in him”

“Idiots, my children are all idiots. Of course, it’s not cool” Maria muttered in outrage tones at his other son over the fact her eldest son would dare to put expose his sister to such risk and then to top it off, go and leave on an errand therefore leaving his sister unsupervised when she was causing mayhem at his instruction. Shit, why Jake do you do this to me. You should know better by now…

“He seems to think that it is for the greater good…” Belle smiled as she glanced at her other and bypassed her miffed mother and took the laptop from Liam and glanced it over “Thanks for this because Grace’s old one doesn’t have the programs you know…”

“Hell,” Maria muttered as she thought her daughter had outgrown her skills as a computer hacker a year before when barely she got out of a jam she created with those skills. Expulsion had been one of the options but Belle played a masterful job of a grieving sister, well, and the school ultimately bended, and once at home, she and Michael had grounded their daughter from her social life for a month and made the girl promise that she wouldn’t do anything cyber again. As far as she and Michael knew, their daughter had been on her best behaviour, or so they thought, but now she had to wonder… Is this first time she is gotten seduced back into the cyber world? she asked herself especially now as she was finding that their eldest son had given her daughter the keys to get back into that addiction. A drug free addiction nonetheless but still one that could cause a lot of harm to Belle’s future.

“Seriously Mom, if this for the greater good” Belle asked, “He says it will also keep me out of trouble?”

“And into federal jail if you get caught?” Maria muttered.

“I am thirteen Mom,” Belle reminded her mother as if it were going to calm her down and it was not. “They aren’t going to put me in prison…” she laughed and knew her mother did not like the laughter, but she could not help it. “Juvenile hall, maybe, but not prison” she laughed once again. “Seriously Mom, it’s fine, I know how to not get caught.”

“They will try given our families history” Maria muttered at the lack of remorse in her thirteen years old. “And you got caught a year ago, simply for changing your grades?”

“I was distracted back then by a boy,” Belle laughed because she had been by some handsome kid who walked as she was working her wonders on the keyboard, and she forgot to set the safeguards. “I know how to not get caught,” she promised as her mother looked at her daughter dubiously “Jake wants to know more about what is going up there, you know, now that Grace has decided to make herself a patient.”

“Grace did WHAT” Liam asked, as his laughter stopped. “Is she out of her mind?”

“It’s a thought,” Maria muttered. “Still there are other ways…”

“Our brother loves his wife, and Elizabeth too” Belle muttered as she knew to throw in her sister’s name to get her mother to relent because she knew her parents would want nothing more than to save their sister heartache. “He’s worried, and if I can help him than why not…”

“I am going to have some words with your brother…” Maria muttered as she checked the time. “When he gets home?”

“Just a warning Mom,” the thirteen year old muttered as she faced her angry mother but she was for the moment batting off the anger because she felt this was for the greater good and her big brother hadn’t had to convince her because she figured that this might as well be her own contribution to this whole mess. Because she had seen the determination on her brother’s face, and if she could help than she would do it. “I don’t think he’s going to be that repentant,” Belle laughed as she continued her pursuit. “And I am not going to either if this will help my sister in the end”
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Always Tomorrow (CC, Mature) - A Reunion's Endgame - Chapter 35 - 08/18/2020

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Can't believe Grace has taken on this dangerous mission.
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 36 - 08/20/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

“How much do you know of this place that has my sister?” Jake muttered as he interacted with his in-laws as Beth was grateful to see Jake as he walked in the house and more so when their son-in-law indicated that he had communicated with their daughter, and now she and Max were hoping that this would work out. “Did you happen to check it out?”

“It has a good reputation,” Max allowed. “Grant you that I haven’t had anyone as a client up there in a long time, but I believe it was initially the facility that they put your sister in when she first surfaced a year ago… Your father knows more about those circumstances than I do, but nothing he told me seem to indicate there was anything bad about it,” Max muttered. “Why do you ask?”

“Because Grace is concerned,” Jake muttered as Beth reacted with her face as she grabbed her husband’s hand and squeezed tight. “And therefore, it’s making me worried…”

“What do you mean our daughter is concerned?” Max asked as he glanced over at his wife as they both shared the same concern given that they knew their daughter was gifted and had keen insight into the matters that most would consider safe, but Grace seemed to know when something was off. Sometimes it just had to be off a tiny bit, and she knew something was wrong And of course sometimes it was that ability that would get her into trouble but mostly she had been able to maneuver the trouble since those days when she was sixteen. Now she was older, and in the unknown and he hated knowing that he couldn’t just drive across town and help her if the need arose and the need had now had arose, and he couldn’t do anything to stop it he said beating himself up about it “Please tell us that she is okay?”

“She seems herself,” Jake allowed as he knew that it was solid assurances for his wife’s parents because he knew that they had been out of their minds with worry. “Yet on the other hand, she is so different, you know what I mean?”

“Her disguise,” Max asked as it still shock when he flashed back to spotting his daughter, and the moment it had taken before he recognized that it was his Grace “Yeah, that took some getting used to and to be honest with you, I am still not used to it. Because yeah, she went right out there onto the edge…”

“She says she wanted to make sure she was a complete opposite,” Jake muttered

“Well she successfully did that” Max agreed. “She doesn’t look anything like her normal self…”

“I want our old Grace back,” Jake muttered.

“We all do,” Max sighed. “Hopefully, it’s only a short stay, and she’ll come home very soon”

“Beth, what do you know of the State Hospital?” Jake asked of his mother-in-law as he hoped Max was right and this little escapade of Grace’s was on the short side.

“Not much,” Beth admitted with a shudder at the thought that her daughter was up at that place for no good reason except to be backup for Elizabeth. “My practice is not geared towards those kinds of patients obviously. I did have a little experience when I was based out of Las Cruces but still my case load is geared towards families and kids, and fortunately most of my cases and patients were not in need of those services.”

“What was your basis when you did have some experience?” Jake asked.

“It was well run,” Beth acknowledged. “Well respected.”

“And any idea of how it’s regarded today?” Jake muttered.

“Why do you want to know?” Max asked.

“Grace says she’s getting bad vibes of the place. That no one really cares about the patients and such,” Jake muttered. “When she gets a vibe off something, most of the time, she is usually right on target, and I am afraid of what she’s stepped into. She’s determined not to come home until she figured out if it’s safe for Elizabeth to be there…”

“That’s not her choice to make,” Max muttered. “Its court ordered, and a deal Elizabeth made with Agent Stevens…”

“Yeah, and she knows it but still she needs to know what is happening with that place,” Jake sighed. “So, I was wondering if you knew anything that has happened with that place since last year when yeah my sister was initially in that place before disappearing…”

“Only that it’s taken over by new management,” Beth admitted. “I don’t follow the gossip of course but I have heard other professionals talking about the changes the are making there. New doctors and old ones let go…”

“That’s not good,” Jake asked.

“And maybe it’s all on the up and up,” Beth asked. “New management tends to mold their institutions and make changes, and they usually don’t want the old people getting in the way…” she sighed. “I haven’t heard anything good or bad, so I can’t judge…”

“New management could also mean that the inmates run the asylum?” Jake muttered because he knew jail speak and it was likely the same in a mental hospital with those who need help, or plain disturbed.

“We can’t think like that,” Beth sighed.

“Well it’s the truth isn’t it?” Jake muttered as he glanced over at Max who knew from his own experience within the legal system that there are people who know how to cause mayhem no matter where they are. “Especially now that we know our favorite lunatic is there supposedly as a “patient” so yeah, I can’t help but think he’s going to take any advantage he can get…”

“Let’s hope not,” Max muttered.

“Seriously though, if this Salazar person; Khivar’s Earth doppelganger here on Earth is there then he’s not going to like being told what to do, and he’s going to take the fact the hospital is between management, and play off that fact” Jake feared. “Both of you can tell me not to have those thought all you want not, but I cannot help it because the past has told me to not settle for hoping…”

“There isn’t much we can do,” Max admitted.

And yet Jake knew that he wasn’t going to take those words lightly as he sighed and knew they were better armed with information, and they couldn’t hope that mayhem wasn’t unleashed when they knew of the past, and the past did have the ability to haunt when all of them had been hurt by the actions in this long-running mela-drama, as he couldn’t help but voice “You might not be able to get much except to warn Stevens to keep an eye on the place, but I do know that I am working on it from my own end,” Jake muttered.

Tension took over the room as Max and Beth could not help but look at each other as they glanced at their son-in-law. Max was the one to ask it straight out “Jake,” Max said a sudden worry coursed through him at the sudden change in Jake’s demeanor and knew they were in for a dangerous time if his suspicions were right. “What are you up to?”

“You don’t have to worry Max, because I am staying on the right side of the law” Jake muttered. “Mostly” he sighed. “All I am doing is having Belle do some research for me,” he sighed as he checked his watch. “Speaking of my sister. I need to get home because I have left her and Eva too long as it is,” he murmured as he knew he was running instead of staying and talking but he didn’t really want to give Max and Beth anything more to worry about than he already had. “Thank you for hearing me talk, and I’ll let you know if Grace reaches out again…”

“Jake, what are you doing?” Max muttered. “Should I be asking your grandfather?”

“Leave Grandpa out of it,” Jake muttered. “It’s better if he’s on the other side of it for the moment, as I rather keep you in the dark unless I need a lawyer,” Jake smirked for me or for Belle. “Next time I’ll bring Eva over,” he said before letting himself out of the house. “She misses you guys”

“What was that all about?” Beth asked as she exchanged a concerned look with her husband. “Should we worry?”

“I really don’t know because what can Belle do?” Max asked forgetting about the teenager’s talent for cyber mischief as he took his wife’s hand and led her upstairs. “Let’s get some rest because tomorrow is another day,” he sighed and prayed that he would not be called into action for anymore pain.

Jake drove home and almost wished he had stayed at his in-laws and endured the grilling over his mysterious comments when he got home and found his furious mother waiting to unleash on him for putting his sister in a compromising position with the authorities. “What were you thinking Jacob Luca Guerin?” Maria exploded as her son walked into the house and immediately spotted both his mother and his brother Liam watching over Belle. Footage from the crib upstairs showed Eva was still fast a sleep because he had checked on the ride home, since he had one of those surveillance apps on his phone and yet he wished her had for downstairs because then he would know to have been armed for coming back to his house.

“What you are doing here?” Jake asked as if he did not already know as Belle could not help but display her amusement along with their brother.

“What do you think?” Maria asked. “Paying more attention to my thirteen-year-old daughter than you are with your sister,” she murmured with disappointment on her face. “Again, I ask, what were you thinking Jake?”

“I was thinking of using her skills for something good,” Jake muttered. “Before she turns on us…”

Ignoring her brother’s snide remark Belle decided that being the center of the coming explosion was not something she wanted to do she acted,
“Given I feel you want to explode Mom.” Belle murmured as she did her best angel expression. She picked up the laptop, and got up and turned to her mother, “So you say what you really do want to say at each other. “I think I will take my trusty computer and migrate somewhere else. I feel like I am getting somewhere” Belle admitted and Jake took a hopeful nod from that, “So, yeah, I think I am going to be taking this laptop upstairs, and I’ll check on Eva while I am up there” Belle muttered because she didn’t relish hearing her mother get on her brother’s case over her own actions. “You guys shouldn’t worry because I am not leaving the house. I am just planning on checking in on my niece…” she muttered as she saw the weariness on her mother and brothers faces. “Boy you people can’t help but be suspicious, can you?” she asked slightly amused as she disappeared upstairs “Ignore me, and go back to fighting among yourselves” she murmured as her voice disappeared from the room.

Not that she trusted her daughter. But knew Belle knew better to keep her mischief to house limits so Maria turned her concentration on her eldest son, as she turned on him “Jake, again, what were you thinking?” Maria muttered as she chose to ignore until late the tone of her daughter and the amusement she was having as they all heard the footsteps upstairs and then heard a door slam shut as she turned her attention back to the matter at hand, which was interrogating her eldest son. “You are a cop Jake, and you went and put your sister in jeopardy if she does get caught?”

“All I was trying do was hardness her ability to cause trouble into something useful,” Jake muttered as Liam just stood back and watch. “Something we can use, and really, I don’t get it; how did you find out?”

“Your sister called her brother to bring her laptop,” Maria muttered. “And obviously Liam is not as skilled as you or his sisters at deception,” Maria sighed because she had known that once upon a time both her eldest son and daughter could give lessons on how to deceived her and Michael, and most of the time those antics could be laughed at but the laughter eventually ended when reality became to real as she glanced over and saw Liam eyes changed and so she pre-empted a retort “You do not say a word because you are no better when you did not bother to ask your sister why she wanted her computer” she said through gritted teeth as Liam glared but did not say anything as she focused back on her eldest son “So, yeah, I intercepted him and came along for the ride. But what I did not bargain for is the fact that you would have hired your sister to hack into a mental hospital Jake,” she asked hurt and dismayed. “How could you, because you have now put her in jeopardy?”

“Only if she’s caught,” Jake muttered to the laughter of Liam. “And something tells me she won’t get caught…”

“Jesus,” Maria muttered.

“Mom, I know what I am doing” Jake muttered. “Sure,” he stopped and paused. “Okay, yes, I know it is risk, but I would rather use her to our advantage so that she can see for herself the danger this family is in because if we don’t do something than she is walking that fine line” he sighed. “Otherwise,” he murmured. “I am getting the distinct feeling that fine line will eventually snap and she will be asking for trouble, so yeah, I rather that she did help us than for her to be out there risking it all?”

Maria could not believe the reasoning that was coming out of her son’s mouth about her daughter. “How do you get that?” she muttered as she did not like that, she had been getting the same suspicions off her daughter.

Jake wished did not have to be giving his mother this wakeup call but knew what they were risking because of his interaction of late with his sister. It was becoming clear to him that Belle was at a dangerous tipping point… Of course, he knew that he should not be allowing her to engage in any criminal activity given his profession but give that he had a genuine fear for the events unfolding, and he did not see any other choice. So, if she could help them, they why not take that chance and pray there wasn’t any fallout because chances were that they could manage any fallout due to her age, but one never knew in the world they lived in today. Still though, he feared for his sister and he was being selfish in that he did want to anyone else to worry about because they had enough with his sister, and now his wife “Because I see it every day on the job,” Jake sighted as he thought of his daily interactions with the youth of today, and it was a rougher world than the one even he grew up, and definitely different than the world his parents had inhabited back in the 1990’s. “She’s just on the cusp of screwing everything up,” Jake sighed as he thought of his sister “Mom, I wish we could ignore it but when you think about it. She’s a jaded thirteen-year-old who has seen the worst the world can offer but she doesn’t really see it because all she knows is that her family has been on an exploding mine since she was six years old. She has not known the happiness at home that Elizabeth or I did before everything exploded. She is unhappy with her home life. She might be excelling in her other parts of her life, but that eventually will run into a wall if we’re not watching out for her” Jake pleaded. “Mom, she’s just asking for something to happen, and because I do see the signs, well, I figured we could hardness that excess energy into something that helps us otherwise we risk too much if we don’t,” he sighed. “She’s going to rebel otherwise…”

“I don’t think it’s that bad,” Maria muttered.

“Mom, it might not be to the extent Elizabeth did in the wake of her experience because Belle is not that stupid and doesn’t have that level of pain that Elizabeth did in that she would want to numb it but on the other hand Belle is very talented, and very smart, and that is a dangerous mix when she disengaged with life, and if she feels like she’s not a priority and we’re more concerned with Elizabeth or anything else in our lives,” Jake muttered. “As much as she loves Elizabeth, still there is a lot of resentment because of the last seven years, and what she’s missed out on because we have been trying to get from one day to the next as we all focused on other matters. So, if our backs are turned, she’ll know it and before we know it, she’ll want to be the focus of the attention, and in our scary world today, then that could mean anything, and so, I rather stop it in it’s tracks…”

“You were asking her to commit a crime?” Maria asked. “There are other ways to hardness her skills then gambling with her future?”

“All I am asking for is information,” Jake admitted. “If she does come to sees the extent of the dangers against us than she might rethink her approach to life…” Jake asked. “It’s better to use her skills for us before she uses them against us…”

“You really think…” Maria whispered.

“Mom think about it. All she is seen is heartache in the family. Sure, you and Dad got back together, and we were able to pick up the pieces in whatever form we were able to, but it was vastly different, once Nicholas did his worse… She watched as Elizabeth self destructed before her very eyes. At the same time, I was out of the house. Eventually, Colin and Liam grew up and went off to school, and so it was only her. And because it was only her. It meant that she is had to be the strong for you and Dad. In her mind that also meant that she had to be the model daughter who did not screw up and who was the big sister for Emily. It is a nasty world, and she is had to grow up in it. It is even worse than when I was growing up. The world is making her grow up way too fast, and because she is smart, and even if were not today or tomorrow. One day, she is going to erupt and want to unleash that anger that has been bubbling inside since she was six years old into something. And because she won’t want to express it at home…so, yeah, I rather it be within the cyber community in a quest to help us, than into an action that will gets her only trouble,” Jake sighed because he did know the risk he was taking but he rather take it than risk the unknown. “Now that Grace is playing backup, and shows no intention of coming home yet, well, I need to know my wife is okay. Same with Elizabeth”

“You’ve talked to Grace?” Mara asked as she did not relish that her son was using his wife’s predicament to get himself out of the doghouse.

“Yes,” Jake muttered. “And she makes me worried for the two of them up there, and before you ask, I was over talking to my in-laws about their daughter, and her mission to disrupt our lives in her quest to save my sister. Beth tells me that the hospital had a change over in management in the last year, and that makes me worry Khivar will use any gaps to his advantage…”

“What do you mean?” Maria asked worried…

“I have no idea,” Jake asked. “And that scares me so if we can use Belle’s skills to our advantage maybe we’ll be ahead of the mayhem instead of reacting it…”

“You’re asking a lot from her…”

“Nothing more than what the world is asking from us,” Jake sighed. “Grandpa will understand…”

“Cyber can be federal you know…” Maria worried. “If she goes into the wrong place…” she sighed. “There will be nothing Jim will be able to do to protect her…”

“Come on Mom,” came a amused Belle as she walked downstairs and heard the tone of the conversation and what both her mother and brother said about her, and she would dispute a whole mess of it, but she did know she was pissed off at the world as she also didn’t know why life could be so cruel. “I think you should trust me by now to put the necessary safeguards…”

“I trust you on many parts of your life, and you have gotten into trouble” Maria muttered. “And therefore, I am not willing your safety.”

“I’m not asking for trouble,” Belle muttered.

“But your brother is by allowing you to do this?”

“If I can help, can’t I help?” Belle asked. “Why can’t I if it helps Grace, and especially if it can help my sister shouldn’t I be able to do it?” she sighed. “I have missed out on having a big sister. Grace is no substitute for the real thing. Jake you know is partly right. Our family went seriously screwy when I was too young to know better but now, I am older, and isn’t it time that I know what I am facing?” she asked. “Elizabeth has already warned me that I could have been a target of that Nicholas fellow because while Emily was also targeted, chances are, I am a more inviting one before Elizabeth’s first born, even if you and Dad adopted her? I am higher up in Dad’s chain of blood relatives than Emily is…”

“Don’t think like that…” Maria muttered as shivers came down her spine at the mere thought

“It’s out there in the winds so I do have to think about it,” Belle muttered. “And it’s in my head. So, yeah, Nicholas is dead, but I have to live with the worry, especially if there are other seriously demented enemies from Dad’s past, so if I can help Grace and Elizabeth end this than maybe I should…” she asked. “I might not get it as I should, but I do want to help”

“Just be careful, okay?” Maria asked as she knew better than to dissuade her daughter because her son might be right. Belle was at a tipping point and if she is pushed even an iota than who knows the fallout. “We can’t lose you too…”

“I promise,” Belle muttered. “This is for a better cause than fixing my grade results or trying to maneuver into some camp I want to go to next summer…”

“Jesus,” Maria muttered, and she is still only thirteen. I do not know how I am going to get through these next five years or so…

“I came down because I wanted to tell you what I found?” Belle muttered as she turned her glance over to her brother. “Do you want to know?”

“What do you know?” Jake muttered.

“Grace’s alias,” Belle sighed as she came down the steps and came into the living room as she put down the computer. “Their security is pretty lax for a top-notch institution…”

“Maybe one of those changes was their security department?” Liam asked helpfully.

“Salazar probably wouldn’t want it tight as a drum, with no movement whatsoever…” Jake sighed because it would prevent any criminal activity he muttered to himself and hoped her was wrong because it increased the chances of his wife or sister getting hurt. “What else did you find?”

“Grace’s alias,” Belle admitted. “It’s Abigail Henderson. She has created quite the cover story… She says she’s married to someone named Frank and they have a son whose name is Dustin…” she sighed to the shock of her brothers and mother. “It’s pretty clever, and the corresponding documentation is pretty extensive?”

“Who does she know that can get her fake papers?” Maria asked her son as she also glanced down at the screw as the digital files popped up on the screen, and she could not help but feel shocked that Grace would go to these limits.

“She’s made some friends via school,” Jake admitted as she knew Grace had a knack of making friends, and some of them were known to blur the line and were into the computer sciences and some of them had side jobs that make the cops sit up and notice, but none of them at that point they had known them had gotten caught. So, it made sense Grace would have gone to one of them. “Some of them were in different fields.”

“She knows how to get it done…” Liam asked seriously impressed as he took his own look.

“Yeah,” Jake asked. “Any reason why she’s in there that she gave them…”

“Postpartum delusions,” Belle announced, and Jake only shook his head. “She sees things that aren’t there and hears voices” she sighed. “So, she’s using her powers as reasons for needing help…”

“Anything on their evaluation of her status?” Jake asked.

“Got to say they don’t seem to be thinking that she is needing extensive help,” Belle admitted. “It’s almost like she’s not enough for them?”

“So, she’s not a target?” Jake asked as he did not know whether to be reassured that his wife was not in the line of sight. “For the moment?”
Belle nodded. “Anything I see related to Grace doesn’t indicate she’s high on their list, and she’s more of an annoyance than anything” she muttered to the halt in Jake’s step annoyance is not good he asked himself as he focused back on his younger sister. “Anything more?”

“Grace might not be meat but Elizabeth sure is…” Belle announced to her brothers and mother “They are all over her case…” she sighed as she revealed. “They are taking her case very personally…” she admitted as she showed her family the footage that she found… “Her file has been hacked numerous times in the last few days…”

“What is this?” Jake asked as if he did not know, but he did… “Any way of knowing who was looking?”

“Nope,” Belle shook her head. “Anyways, I tapped into the surveillance camera,” Belle admitted as Maria glared over at her eldest son. “Mom, for crying out loud, he didn’t ask me to, this time, it was all me. Jake was only asking for information on Grace. Anything else, I did all on my own.”

“Which is not much better sweetheart,” Maria muttered under her breath as she was beginning to wonder if her son was on to something and whether they were better of tapping into Belle’s skill in pursuit of their family’s protection rather out there in the world, on her own. Still, she was not about to admit it to any of her children. What is this family and their knack for the criminal…?

“This is the common room,’ Belle admitted. “You see it’s current. It is what everyone is doing, and on my other laptop, I have the split screen from both Grace and Elizabeth’s rooms” she revealed to the curses from both her mother and brother.

“You have created a monster?” Liam observed.

“Well, do you want to know what is going up there or not?” Belle asked as he had learned very young the tricks and trades around modern computer programs, and had used them to her own purposes at time “They can’t trace it to me, because they think the feed is rooting its way various countries in Europe and China. They won’t be looking here in Roswell” she smiled as she had known how make it complicated in how to trace.

As Maria could only look at Jake as she prayed that they were not risking too much. But she chose to stay silence. But her silence could be a powerful tool in dealing with her kids, as it did shake Jake to see his young sister’s talent for this stuff. He did not know whether he should have created this monster, but information was knowledge and it was power.

He did not want the alternative of them sitting without anything to back them up. Too much was on the table, being risked.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Always Tomorrow (CC, Mature) - A Reunion's Endgame - Chapter 36 - 08/20/2020

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Abigail with friends that blur the lines......
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 37 - 08/25/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

One laptop stayed at Jake’s, and the other laptop went home with Belle as Maria dragged her daughter home before she committed any more cyber crimes. Jake elected to keep the one that focused on the rooms because he wanted to make sure his wife was okay and did not think his parents wanted to know what was going on in those rooms. Better for his parents to deal with the common room footage. Or at least his father because his mother was fed up with the whole notion and he did not blame her, and probably would think the same if it were Eva who was up to her neck in danger.

Thankfully as he sang his daughter to sleep. Eva was also only one and could easily fall asleep. For the adults, it is more time consuming and did not always happen, but keeping the laptop allowed him to know his wife was sleeping. He rarely followed his sister’s feed. But did check up every once awhile to make sure she was still alive and accounted for. Although he was not sure if he liked what he was seeing on his sister’s feed. Because she seemed to be acting more and more odd.

But he rather her acting odd and being able to know where she was to the alternative because for so long, that had not been possible. Also, he knew that Elizabeth had to sell the part of someone spiralling and he knew she was doing a good job because she had too much experience with it, when she was younger, and truly detaching herself from them. So, he could handle it this time, unless of course it was not an act? His wife’s worries about the easy to get drugs was a concern, even though she knew it was purpose of his sister’s act was trying to make Salazar think he could get a foothold on his sister. It was not easy for Jake to live with, that knowledge. And knew it could not be easy for his parents, which was why Belle was having a hard time being at home.

As the next days went on. Jake was feeling more and more distance from his wife. As Grace did not try to Skype in those days ahead, and by the weekend up at the hospital, she was feeling cooped up and missing her family, and most of all her husband and daughter. It was lonely in the mental hospital. Darkness and disturbed people were all around. And it made her happy that she was focusing on the other side of medicine, whenever she did go back to it. She knew she had only herself to blame for this because she could be home with her husband and daughter, and making fun of her sister’s love lives but she chose this new direction, as she prayed it didn’t end in disaster, but as the days were going down. She was feeling more and more out of sorts, and the feeling she had described to Jake as erupting seemed most apt than ever, and she did not know how to handle it.

Especially as she kept a good distance from Elizabeth. Elizabeth also did not try to approach her. So, in the distance. She observed all, and she was not happy with what she was observing. It was bothering her more as the days wore on that there were no obvious signs of Khivar showing his face. Of course, she or no one could probably pick him out of a lineup if given the possibility. Grace had been hoping that would be a giant big tell in trying to identify him and unfortunately, she had not to this point been lucky. And given he is an alien hiding under the skin of a human, that makes it even trickier she was musing to herself. She could not help but wonder if Agent Stevens had made a dangerous miscalculation.

And they were all being set up for a fall?

None more so than Elizabeth Grace mused to herself as she stood in the back of the common room and watched, as she saw that Elizabeth was talking to her newest companion who she had recently met. One of the other patients, and they seemed to be clicking. While she had not formally met him, but still she had seen enough of him with Grace to know she was getting a bad vibe off him and knew it did not help her friend to be too noticeable. She was trying to keep low to the ground, as if she needed the time in this place to get back some of the sanity that she was missing so that she could go home to imaginary husband and son. The doctors were leaving her alone, which gave Grace cause to believe this place was a place of cards, and it would all be flicked apart before long. Given Khivar’s earthbound persona, well, it made Grace queasy to think of that concept as she tried to ignore her doubts and as she watched but decided to turn back and went back to her room, and waited for darkness to fall, because she was doing her walk about, which she tended to do every night. She knew it was risky, but she felt like she was doing her bit by doing so.

Belle was right in her observance that the security was dangerously lax, and especially at night. The inmates had control in comparison to the psych ward at Roswell Memorial where Elizabeth had been before for assessment. Grace did not like this at all. But she used the laxed security to her advantage though, as she walked back to her room, and walked in, and sat down and glanced at the pictures of Jake and Eva under her bed mattress and hoped this mess had a end date that was sooner rather than later. Knowing that she was being left alone, and she did not know if that meant anything because she had seen her sister-in-law being prodded and going to sessions and coming back distracted and moodier.

And she had not been able to get into her room since that first night because Elizabeth was not always in her room until beyond dark. Grace did not want to know what that meant. She knew it had been the risk of the mission, and basically what they all presumed was the request for her friend to do anything and everything to get at Khivar.

She did not like it. She downright hated it. And she felt for Finn back at home, as he was still holding onto a bond with Elizabeth and knowing that this was a whole new ballgame.

She suspected they were in for dangerous times. Because she did not trust this new guy, she had seen with Elizabeth these days and because she was in this alone, well, it was not like she could investigate him. So, all she could do was pray this would work out.

Elizabeth’s room was empty when Grace made her way into the room as she used her powers to lock the door behind her as she entered her friend’s room. She looked around and saw an empty bed Oh Elizabeth she whispered, as she checked and found her friend’s lifelines. Her pictures of Drew and Mick under the mattress, even one of Finn, and the burner phone, and she was turning around when she heard a sound. “I wish you wouldn’t have done this?”

Grace turned around and spotted someone she had not met but knew of it. After all she had seen the pictures, and she had known she was basically a duplicate and carbon copy of her father’s greatest regret, Tess Harding. But Tess was dead. Thankfully, Mom does not remember Tess… Amnesia was good for something, I guess Grace mused. But Dad will forever feel guilty and have lifelong regrets over the blonde when he was back in high school and when he was too young to know better, and when maybe he should have known better.

This one was alive and was the reason why her friend was risking it all in her when she could be in a safer environment it has to be better than a prison cell or another institution and getting the help, she needed…

She was getting a sense of this place and suspected that no one should be seeking help in this place. As it was obvious Kevin Salazar and his evil had taken hold of the place. Grace just wished she could place the guy, or at the very least Elizabeth can find him and this could be over, and she could home to her family, and most of all her husband and daughter.

“What are you doing here?” Grace asked, as if she did not know and, in this case, she did not know why Agent Stevens would be here…

“You should have left this alone,” Ava muttered. “You don’t have a place here…” she muttered as she felt the anger when Max had confronted her choices of hospitals for this big mission. Ava stuck to her guns but was shocked when Max revealed that Grace had installed herself at the hospital.

“But Elizabeth does, in this mad house?” Grace muttered. “You certainly picked some place, you know…”

“Yes,” Ava sighed. “We both know this is the safest place for her to be for the time being, and plus, we’re paying her good money to do this…”

“It’s obvious this place isn’t the place it once was?” Grace sighed as she glanced around the room and looked through the window of the door. “Which is plain as day to me as a patient…”

“You shouldn’t have been here in the first place,” Ava muttered as she hated complications and this one was a big one, and she didn’t know how to handle it “You should have left it to Elizabeth, and to me…”

“It seems to be all on Elizabeth to conduct whatever mission this is,” Grace muttered. “Have you done to lift a finger to help her?” she asked. “You have left her alone, to do this, and knowing what she would have to do to get your culprit?”

“It had to be this way and you’re making it harder,” Ava asked. “If she has to worry about you than she is not doing her job,” she sighed. “You should be going home to your family. You have a husband and a kid, don’t you?”

“Given how well informed you than you obviously know I do,” Grace sighed.

“Then leave this to Elizabeth and to me,” Ava sighed.

“I don’t see you here helping her,” Grace muttered. “My father probably told you that I was here, and you came to warn me when you could have warned us that is not the place for Elizabeth to be getting better…”

“You are no judge of that,” Ava muttered.

“Aren’t I?” Grace asked.

Belle could not sleep in her bedroom at home. She had been reading, and preparing for school to start within days, and she had not done anymore hacking since that night because when she had gotten home, she had gotten reamed out by her father. Michael had been livid. To Belle, he was scarier than her mother. And Maria knew how to make her kids fear her. But Michael was more of a presence because it was rare to see him explode.

Still though the computer sat in her bedroom. She had liberated it from the living room. She figured none of her family members needed to see and especially since they had several young kids still in the house.

Liam may have congratulated her on her success. But she did not get one from her parents, and knew she scared them. Having experience losing a daughter once obviously had scarred them. She knew she should be more careful. But she could not help it. She was growing up. She could hardly help it. It was her way of testing the world as it was clear to everyone that she likely had the gene that led from her parent’s mutual love for the risky and highly adventurous. Yet if helped than why would she? She knew she was not the only one bended the law for this family. So, why should they clamp down on it now?

It's not like I am six anymore Because her mind was elsewhere, she hadn’t been noticing when a figure went across the screen, and if she had seen it, then she would have seen Ava heading to Elizabeth’s room, and having a confrontation with Grace.

Jake was walking into his bedroom after getting off the late shift at work. Fortunately, he didn’t work the overnight hours because this was Roswell after all, and crime was low on a good day and even on a bad day, and no one worked after midnight except for the lowest level grunt deputy who was merely used as a security guard to keep the peace. Still though he had worked longer than he wanted to because he had deal with paperwork on a case that he had to turn over to his grandfather the next day. Because of his earned seniority, at this point in his career, he was taking most of the weight of his grandfather these days so Jim could spend more time with his wife.

Eva was at her grandparent’s place. Max and Beth had jumped at having their granddaughter for a sleepover because he had to work and Jake jumped at accepting the offer because he didn’t want to deal with a babysitter, and this way whenever he got home, then he didn’t have to worry about his little girl and knew Eva would be having a good time with her grandparents.

Max and Beth spoiled the little girl. And Christopher had a fun time playing with the toddler. It was good for Eva he knew to spend time with other children… He could only pray that his wife would come home so that they could give Eva a brother or a sister to grow up with in future years because he had loved having siblings and wanted that for his daughter.

Too tired because thoughts of his wife were moving around hid brain. Grace was always in his brain but this time not for a good reason. When he did not want to have to worry about his wife. Max had told him that he had gone to Stevens, and Jake prayed that the agent would talk some sense into his wife, and that she would come home because he knew someone had to otherwise there was too much risk. Being a cop, Jake hated knowing he had limited options…

He wanted his wife home. He hated being distracted and knew it was starting to affect his work which is why he had to put in some late hours dealing with paperwork and other matters as the deputy on call.

So, Eva being out of the house was a blessing.

Wanting to just to sink into his bed and fall asleep until the early morning hours in which he had to get up to go to work. So, he got changed, and once he did, and before he turned him, he checked the laptop that he gotten from his sister. The split screens of the room and he sent out a bunch of cruses when he saw his wife engaged in a very spirited discussion with Agent Stevens. Finding that he could not turn up the volume, he stood annoyed but still…

He watched.

“No, you’re not one to judge because none of this is your business” Agent Steven muttered as she did not like how Max’s daughter had an opportunity to rain on her mission to get at Salazar. “I know you have a love for Elizabeth, and she’s now family to you…”

“She was always family to me,” Grace muttered. “It didn’t take marriage to make that happen,” she groaned. “She was my sister even before I was lucky enough to find my own sisters, and have my little brother join the family,” she sighted as she remembered how she and Elizabeth gravitated together growing up in this insane culture and clan. Quite different, and yet they were more than family friends. They had been sisters. Just not in blood but by choice “I take it personally when she hurt…”

“I know she’s had a run of a bad luck,” Ava muttered.

“More than a little run of bad luck agent,” Grace muttered with lethal eyes that made Ava see that Grace was very much Max’s daughter. Very unassuming but capable of great damage. “I feel like I am the only one on her side here. You’re obviously not…”

“Of course, I am,” Ave muttered.

“You only want one thing from her, and that is not her safety” Grace accused. “If she dies in this, you won’t care if she gets you your man and something tells me you didn’t even come here to check up on her, but came because you were warned, and you’re worried I will disrupt your plan to get your fish.”

“You don’t know what I want,” Ava muttered. “We have her back…”

“Do you?” Grace muttered as her distrust and dislike her Ava was becoming clear. “I don’t see you here acting as the backup that she very clearly needs?”

“You really don’t know anything about this situation,” Ava muttered. “Go back to your husband and daughter and leave this to the professionals…”

“This started because of me,” Grace muttered. “It should have been me. Given I was the original target. Do you know how it feels to know it could have me? They wanted me. They did not want Elizabeth, but circumstances changed that night and they took her instead of me. You knew the torture and the pain she endured. You knew all this, and you knew that Nicholas had a hold of her, and you did not come to any of us and told us where she was. We might have given her some help. We could have gotten her and Drew to safety. But you only saw her as a puzzle piece in your quest to get the big fish…”

“Look I am sorry,” Ava muttered. “You were fortunate.”

“I might have been safe, but do you know how it feels to know it could have been me?” Grace asked. “Because of whom my father is, and because of what we’re gifted in being able to do?” she asked. “All because of hatred against who my father, and his family are, and because they had the fortune to be happy and to start lives that they wanted here on Earth. And even then, all of this did not even start seven years ago. It started when they attacked my family when they took my mother and deprived my father of being in his daughters lives for their first thirteen years or being able to love his wife…”

“But he got a chance,” Ava sighed. “You guys got lucky.”

“My Mom got lucky,” Grace bristled at the notion that they had gotten lucky when others had been the opposite. “She fought to survive, and to bring my sisters into the world,” she said at the pain of those years without her mother, and to know her mother might not have had the chance if she had been anyone else. “She could have been dead?”

“But she didn’t die. She lived, and she eventually came home to you and your father, and you got a chance to know your sisters and to have a little brother…” Ava gritted. “So, you were able to win a round, and achieve some happiness in all this…”

“While Elizabeth got victimized?” Grace asked. “You have been in this for the long haul, haven’t you? You have known…” she murmured as it came to her as if Elizabeth’s theories were all coming to her, as her brain was allowing to see the situation for what it was… “You’re not some naïve little duplicate anymore, are you?” she asked bluntly as Ava bristled and flinched at the memories of the past. “You knew what happened with my mother, and that our clan was under attack and you didn’t come and warn us that we should be on the lookout. You knew Khivar was loose. But you did not warn my father, Michael, or my aunt. Instead, you were watching from the outside as Nicholas attacked me via numerous methods and eventually would cause events that would wear down our defenses to the point where we didn’t see what was coming until it was too late”

“You think you do, but you really don’t know how this works” Ava muttered. “Sure, maybe I could have done things differently, and I admit it, and I am sorry for the pain you guys have been put under. You didn’t deserve it.”

“No, we didn’t” Grace sighed as she echoed Belle’s own musings as once again the burden kept rearing its ugly head. “We, the younger generation have had to live in the shadows of what went down years before any of us were born” she sighed. “None of us asked for any of this and most all Elizabeth didn’t ask for any of what happened, and you’re pushing her into a risky situation when you know there can’t be any winners in any of this. Except for you, and your career…”

“You don’t know that for sure,” Ava muttered.

“Don’t I?” Grace taunted. “Nothing is like it was seven years ago. We are all different for good and bad. Everything could have been different if we had a little warning. But you allowed Nicholas to wreck our families when you could have stopped this if only you had a conscious…” she muttered. “And now you are asking Elizabeth do the dirty work that you don’t want to do…”

“We didn’t ask her to kill Nicholas,” Ava muttered. “This is the best deal she could have gotten because otherwise if it wasn’t here then it would be prison…” she sighed. “She’s getting a lot of money if she plays her cards, right?”

Grace could only curse this woman only has one thing on her mind and it is not Elizabeth’s safety she muttered. “Which is useless if she’s dead. She cannot use the money is she in a grave being mourned by her family. If we had some warnings. Maybe all this could have been prevented, and others could have done the job you so much want done…if only you had warned us where she was, and that she was in danger. Maybe we could have ended this a long time ago. But you did not. You kept her in danger. You left her in a situation that was abusing her, and you kept Drew and later little Mick in an apartment with a madman. You sacrificed them for the hope of getting to your target, and now you are doing the same thing. Asking Elizabeth to do anything possible to bring you someone who has the capacity for great damage and who might even worse than Nicholas ever was…”

“And we thank you?” came a menacing voice as they turned and saw the man staring at them, and Grace was the first one to recognize him as Elizabeth’s newest friend. Someone who like Nicholas had an obvious talent for appearing younger than his age should be at the present time. “Nicholas knew a good thing when he saw it and didn’t want to share. Now he does…”

“You… you…” Grace bristled at the stunning reveal as she could not almost believe it as it did not make sense.

“So, you finally recognized me, but I am not how you imagined me, I take it” crackled the creature in front of them. “I figured that it was high time that we met,” Salazar slithered as he approached the two women. “But of course, introductions will be probably terribly one sided because I know you to be Zan’s daughter. I also know that Ava has probably filled you in on who I am but let me because I am notorious in many parts so let me introduce myself. You see, on this planet I am Kevin Salazar. But to Ava, as well as your father and aunt and their unfortunate friend, well, they once knew me another incarnation. To them when we were all on our planet together. I was Khivar… but then maybe Ava wouldn’t because she just a duplicate, after all” Salazar said in a menacing voice as Ava flinched as Khivar was focusing on Grace and laughing at Grace’s shock. “You know you shouldn’t be acting so shocked because did you really think you little plan would work? Because yes, I have known who you were all this time. You didn’t think we wouldn’t see through that phony alias?” he laughed “If only we could have gotten our hands on you, then maybe your friend wouldn’t have put through what she was but then Nicholas did have his own vendetta against Rath.”

Grace did not know how to respond because she had been rendered speechless but knew enough to know that she and Agent Stevens were in serious trouble…

During all this, Ava having also gone in almost trance as she stood speechless broke through it, and tried to brandish her weapon, but Salazar blasted it out of her hand with a display of power. “You were always useless. Defective. Just like your friends, no wonder they are all dead…” he sighed They thought coming back to Antar was the answer? Idiots. “And so now are you” he sighed as he shot Stevens point blank, as Ava fell to the ground…

Life draining from her…

“Now, where were we?” Salazar as he pointed his gun right at Grace.

And all Jake could do at home was stare in frozen silence as he saw his wife in danger. His hope for some sleep was long gone as he went right to his phone and started dialing.

“Max…”
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Always Tomorrow (CC, Mature) - A Reunion's Endgame - Chapter 37 - 08/25/2020

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Okay, we need some help here Max!
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 38 - 09/05/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

Twenty minutes prior

It was the middle of the night at the Guerin house. Belle still could not sleep, and it was obvious that she was still up. Michael having got home from a meeting with a client, and then drinks at Cow Patties with Isabel and Kyle walked by his daughter’s door and saw the light. Knowing he had come down too hard on his daughter. I just do not want her to become like me and especially not like Elizabeth… He also knew that at thirteen that Belle was only testing limits, and that she was a good kid. Maria had also told him of their eldest’s assessment of his sister, and unfortunately for Michael, he knew Jake was not far off.

Because once upon a time. He had been the same way. Defined by a messy life. Looking for trouble. Finding it in some instances and if he had not had Max and Isabel to reign in his rasher impulses than who knows where he would be today. And he would not have been in love with Maria and raising a big and complex family. During these years, he had been able to see the other side of the path with his eldest daughter Elizabeth which is why he did not want to see Belle go down the same road. He knew they could not live through that again. And yet Belle was growing up, and mistakes were going to be made as he knocked on the door, “Belle?”

Belle was inside on his computer but in bed, with her laptop on her stomach as she sat up in bed because she did not want her television to disrupt the sleeping family. She had forgotten that her father had not been home, yet.

She did not ask him to come in, but he did. Not like I have a choice she reflected.

“You should be sleeping?” Michael asked as his eyebrows raised at her on her computer.

“I can’t,” Belle muttered. “Don’t worry Dad, I am not doing anything illegal?” she sighed. “All I am doing is researching classes for school?”

“I forgot that you have to pick them?” Michael muttered because his daughter was going to a progressive private school. Emily was also going the same school, but on a separate campus that was geared towards the lower grades. Drew would be starting at the local public school at the end of the month. They felt he would be better served in a different environment. But for Belle, her campus allowed its students in the older grades to pick their classes, if they meet their requirements and electives. Michael did not want to be reminded that his daughter was facing high school in a year. When that day did come, she would be attending her parent’s old high school, as he bristled at the fear Where did the time go?

Michael did not know. Because to him, it just seems like yesterday she was his baby, and then a six-year-old who was the comfort from the world when it got too dark and had taken so much from them and because she had been so young when it all changed, he knew she had taken too much of brunt of it. Of all the kids, she had been the most affected.

Now he was looking at a teenager who was like a mini replica of his soulmate. Of all the kids. Belle looked the most like Maria, and the Maria who he met as a teenager. And that meant she had place in his heart because she reminded him of the girl who gave him a chance, and who looked behind the mask he was showing, and saw the real him.

As a teenager, Elizabeth had been so much like him that it made what ultimately happen even more painful, but Belle was the perfect combination of him and Maria, but with the need to do the rash. He supposed that was a side effect of all she had seen in the family home over the years. Who can blame her? “Find something fun to take?”

“Trying,” Belle said.

“Look honey,” Michael murmured. “About the other day?”

“I know I risked a lot,” Belle muttered. “You don’t have to remind me because I got the lecture from everyone including Grandpa,” she sighed as Jim had not been happy to hear about his granddaughter’s latest caper.

“We just want you to be careful,” Michael murmured. “We have all lost too much, and we don’t want to lose you too…”

“I only wanted to help,” Belle said softly. “I miss her…”

“I know you do,” Michael sighed. “I know you miss the sister you had…”

“It’s not fair,” Belle muttered. “All because of some bastard who hates you…”

“He hates all of us,” Michael allowed. “Because it didn’t start with us,” he thought as he remembered the despair when Max had lost Liz, and then the joy when he got her back, tempered by a changed woman, and a changed life, but they had gotten a chance at a miracle, and then almost at the same time, tragedy struck and took someone else from them, in an even more heinous move, and it had taken seven years to get even a fraction of her back, and they had, but now they were risking it all once again…

Because he was not convinced this mission would work and if it did not, then the risk would be the worst yet.

“Yeah,” Belle muttered.

“I know you feel defined by what happened your older siblings and feel restrained because of that” Michael asked.

“I do understand that there is a reason to be concerned. I am not stupid. I know there is a threat but I guess I just hate that I have to live my life based on what happened to my sister, and not even only Elizabeth but Jake too…” Belle muttered knowing that it was not only her sister whose life got derailed by hatred for their father. Jake life took a twist too, and while he and Grace were able to make it work. Being a cop was not the dream she figured her brother wanted for his life, or if were, then a small-town cop was not one. Because she had heard the rumors that Jake’s job in Boston got derailed due what had happened here in Roswell, and why he could not graduate… “I am trying to be careful, but it’s the pits.”

“I know it is,” Michael sighed. “One day this will be over…”

“Will it?” Belle muttered. “Seems to me that whenever this seems over, it isn’t…”

“Let’s hope this time is different,” Michael muttered but just as he did say that he heard footsteps running up the stairs and came bursting in the room. “What is it?” he said as he saw his wife coming in breathless.

“It’s everything,” Maria said as she knew she did not have to time to criticize her daughter for still being up because the time did not call for it as she was trying to stop the panting. “Jake just called. “Where’s the computer?” she asked frantically of her daughter. “The feed?”

“I turned it off to focus on searching for classes, why?” Belle muttered as she switched off the school database and went back to the feeds that she had hacked into the hospital.

“Jake just called. Apparently as Grace feared, well, it has happened because it’s erupted…” Maria muttered. “He wants us all over at Max’s right away…” he murmured. “He’s working on getting helicopter?”

“Oh god,” Michael muttered Please god no…

“I’ve called Mom and Jim. Mom’s coming to keep an eye on the kids,” Maria muttered. “Liam is at Stella’s for the night, so I can’t get him back here fast enough,” she sighed. “Jim will meet us after stopping by the station?”

“If you think I am going to sit here and go to sleep?” Belle warned.

“No,” Maria sighed. “Get dressed because you’re coming with us, because you’re the only one who knows how to work that computer of yours…” she muttered as she did not like greenlighting her daughter nefarious activities but drastic measures…

“What happened?” Michael asked as he left the bedroom with Maria and now were alone, as they waited for their daughter to get herself dressed again. “Did Khivar make his appearance?”

“Yes,” Maria nodded. “Michael, Jake witness Stevens being shot,” Maria said softly. “He doesn’t know if she’s dead, but it’s not looking great…”

“Grace” Michael feared.

“Elizabeth is MIA” knowing Michael was afraid to ask about their daughter, “But Grace is the one in the line of fire,” Maria muttered. “It’s escalating and for all I know by the time we get Max and Beth’s place. We could have a whole new situation” she sighed as Belle came out fully dressed. “I just know we have to make sure that our doesn’t do something he’ll regret…”

“I don’t think we’ll be able to stop him,” Michael muttered as he did not fault his son. “Max either…” he murmured as he thought that if Grace truly was in danger than it is going to be whole new ballgame.

As the three of them drove over to the Evans house, fearing what they would see…

“Where is Elizabeth?” was all Grace asked as she stood in a staring contest with her clan’s greatest enemy. She did not know how to react. Agent Stevens was laying on the ground struggling to breath, as the blood was slowing draining from her, and Grace could not do anything to help her for alienating the mad man who now had the gun drawn on her. She knew she had to ask questions before whatever happened, happened.

“She’s dealt with,” Salazar smiled, and that made Grace scared because it could mean anything. “Now you don’t need to fear for her Ms. Evans…”

“Guerin,” Grace bristled at the lack of use of her married name.

“I don’t know why you had to marry into that family?” Khivar spewed. “We could have done so much together, and you had to go and ruin it by being with and then marrying that human?” he spat. “Mating with a human, drats” he said sinisterly. “Weakening your powers…”

“My mother is human?” Grace asked as she did not like hearing her marriage or her daughter declared weak as she knew Eva was already strong willed just like both of her parents. “I am half human?”

“Your mother is special, alright” Khivar muttered. “I have got to say that is something your father did right. While he may have been a god-awful king; weak and completely useless but he certainly knew how to come to this Earth and find a mate and change her into something that gave him heirs. I give him full props for that. Why Rath could not do the same thing is beyond me? I guess that is the thing about Nicholas. He was only seeing the endgame of his rage at Guerin. But I knew from day one that you were the one. Your father changed your mother, and therefore you were something… or shall I say, your blood line means something. I would have still taken you if it were up to me, but I had to be careful you see. So, I allowed Nicholas to do the dirty work, and sure, he did what he was asked, but she ended up being defective because she could never be what we wanted from her,” he spewed. “Those brats of hers all were useless to me and therefore I blame her human mother. Now Rath and Vilandra were the pairing in the stars, and they failed to act on it. Humans, you do not know how to follow what is set out for you…”

“You would have wanted Michael and Isabel?” Grace asked. “I thought you were supposed to love this Vilondra” Grace asked she did not quite like hearing his mother and father’s love story being dissected in disgusting tones. She knew they had something special. Something that meant something, and something was extremely rare. Who dies and comes back to life? she mused which had happened several times to her mother and father as life tried to separate then, and it ended up making them stronger.

“Nah, but they have the blood you see…” Khivar muttered. “Mating with humans weakens everything…”

“If my mother was someone special?” Grace asked. “Why did you take her away from my father and I?” she asked. “I know it was your orders, and your hand even if you might not have been on earth yet, and probably orchestrated it via Nicholas or some of your other henchmen. “Why take my mother away?”

“Because it was fun,” Khivar smiled. “I can’t have Zan be happy for long, can I?” he allowed. “Watching him destroyed is so delicious. You see he caused much angst for me and my beloved Vilondra on Antar, so I wanted to return the favor and he provided me the conditions to do so… Which is why I worked to bring Tess into his world back when he was a teenager,” he smiled as Grace flinched. “Yes, you see that was one of my earliest victories. Unfortunately, it didn’t have the desired affects that I wanted but you work with what you have, but it sent your parents to their corners for a time while also providing pain to you father which gave me no end of delight, but it also forced your mother to prove her worth as she undertook actions that brought great joy to me…” he laughed.

“What do you mean?” Grace asked.

“Changing timelines. A genius move” Khivar smiled. “Because it allowed Tess time to work on your father…” he grinned. “Unfortunately, she couldn’t get the desired action with your father...” he sighed. “So, I went back to finding new ways…” he sighed. “Time unfortunately became an obstacle…”

“Your planet became wise, and got rid of you?” Grace asked.

“Yeah,” Khivar muttered “It took me time to figure out the lay of the land and make my plans…” he sighed. “I don’t know why you earthlings like this planet so much. The rules and restrictions can be so limiting. Democracy is no fun. You must hide too much of who you are, which is why Antar was so freeing. Because you could be who you were there. No matter the class of people you were. Unfortunately, here is a different story.”

“We have free will,” Grace muttered. “We can be with whoever we want to, and we don’t allow our genetics and DNA to make our choices for us…”

“Don’t you,” Khivar asked. “But no matter, because the time did come, where I figured out how to make my time on this planet worthwhile.”

“What have you done with Elizabeth?” Grace asked as she was tiring of this conversation and she was fearing for her friend…

“She’s good for something…” Khivar smiled. “You shouldn’t worry because she part of my plans…”

“If you’ve done anything to her?” Grace asked as feared her friend was seeing a repeat of seven years ago…

“You shouldn’t worry because she doesn’t interest me like that,” Khivar smiled. “I have standards you know. My partners that I form an intimate connection with must have class. Elizabeth simply has none. And plus, the idea of me and one of Rath’s human bastards is not something I would want to entertain. Nicholas to his greatest weakness didn’t have any such restraint, but because it gave great pain to Rath than I was willing to allow it and we all like to play, and therefore I allowed Nicholas to have his fun,” Khivar slithered as Grace was growing repulsed by this man but she knew she didn’t have the capability to get away so she was stuck. “This earth has rendered me unable to sire a prodigy. Heirs are always needed to keep power you see, otherwise what good are you, and to that end, Nicholas was trying to find a way to provide a way back to Antar but I eventually decided to stay, and closed that door but Nicholas was determined to keep trying but I ordered him to get rid of her after this latest attempt at a baby because we knew it would have been his, and I knew Nicholas wanted a heir, but that was her biggest deception of all wasn’t it and he was too stupid to think she could be deceiving him, or maybe he did, and didn’t care… “ Khivar said as he couldn’t help but smile at Grace’s queasiness. “I do have got to give Elizabeth credit because even high, she knew how to interfere with his plans. Those bastards were annoying, but it proved her wily nature, and her capacity to deceive,” he smiled as Grace flinched. “And finally ridding me of Nicholas was a nice move because it told me that she’s someone I can work with and I plan to… he smiled. “In the meantime, once I became aware of your insane notion of playing hero to her, I had to keep her away from you because I couldn’t have you two teaming up, could I?” he asked

“Where is she?” Grace asked.

“No where you will find her,” Khivar smiled as he redrawn the gun on Grace. “So, what are we going to do about you knowing who I am?”

“She’s still alive,” was all Max could say as the group gathered in the living room. Beth was sitting down with her phone in one hand frantically exchanging text messages with her other daughters, who were safe and accounted for in their different locations. Max was matching her as he was now the one who was pacing the room when everyone started to arrive as the house was now filled with Isabel and Kyle as they joined Michael, Maria and Belle as you could feel the darkness fill the house. Christopher and Eva were now over Philip and Diane’s home because none of them knew what the night would bring, and who would be called upon to leave the house. Still though everyone felt energized despite the hour.

Jake was looking at was the feeds from the room where they could see Grace still standing and having it out with the sinister Khivar as he looked around as if it was the first time he had noticed that his parents and sister were now in the room because he had been paralyzed since arriving as they were all focused on the feed “While we can’t hear what they are saying, but it does seem like they having it out…”

“Why doesn’t the feed have volume?” Michael asked.

“Because it seems the connection doesn’t work that way…” Jake muttered as he glanced at his sister.

“I’ll work on it,” Belle muttered. “Before any of you ask, it’s how I set it up, okay, because I couldn’t have you Jake having a heart attack every time you looked at the footage if you could hear what was being said…” she sighed as she sat down at the other laptop and went to work. “For your sanity, I figured that ignorance is the best way to manage the silence?”

“That girl,” Jim only shook his head. “You should make her a partner one day Michael…” he asked as he knew that Michael was fighting to rebuild his business after many loss years. “You might get more work if you did?”

“If she not in federal prison by then, I just might” Michael muttered as he didn’t like seeing his daughter so capable as she brought out her own computer, which had the other feed as she put them side by side.

“Grandpa I hope I don’t have to worry about that?” Belle smirked as if she cared, and they all knew she did not care.

“Let’s worry about that tomorrow if we have to,” Jim Valenti couldn’t help but mutter as a reminder of the younger days of his son’s life played in his brain, and those events of seven years ago because for Jim it wasn’t a time to return to because it had only caused nightmares and now he didn’t relish it seeing it in Belle, who like Elizabeth seem to have this need to prove herself and it had proved disastrous for her sister and he prayed it didn’t have the same fate for the youngest of the two.

“I have been careful, you know,” Belle promised as she could see that non of her family had any confidence in her being careful but she didn’t plan to get caught of course no one plans to get caught she mused but then she was a Deluca as well as a Guerin, and knew her away out of tight spots, most of the time “I know to leave other scapegoats…”

“That only works until it doesn’t,” Jim sighed as glanced down at the feed that Belle was bringing up, and the volume started playing…

“So, what are we going to do about you Ms. Evans?” Khivar asked as he was back to waving his gun around at her, and she couldn’t properly assess the situation and she didn’t know how serious this situation was although she had a pretty good guess because it didn’t take a genius to know that this man wasn’t going to allow her to live. I just need to abide my time she hoped.

“How my times do I have to say that it’s Guerin,” Grace murmured as she usually didn’t such a defense of her name because she was getting her medical degree under the name of Evans to honor all what her parents had done for her, but she couldn’t have Khivar putting down her marriage and plus, it obviously gave him displeasure to know that she was married to Jake, so she planned on using it

“Marrying humans” Khivar said with disgust

“What else was I supposed to do?” Grace asked “I am human, and this is Earth after all…”

“You could have married someone of your own kind,” Khivar asked. “Someone who had a ounce of power in them” he slithered and Jake bristled from the living room of his fathers-in-law home as everyone there couldn’t believe what they were listening to as it was obvious to them that Grace was baiting Khivar. You have to be careful they all mused in on form or another, and slew of curses were also expressed at the same time as they could also see Ava’s body on the floor, and eyes shut so they didn’t know if that meant she was gone or not…

Chances for Ava’s survival were extremely low at this point.

“My husband is his own person and someone who is very powerful in his own right because he knows what is right and what is wrong,” Grace challenged And, when to blur a line. “Which is what I love about him?”

“Why Rath married that human who had been with someone else, and made a bastard of his kid” Khivar asked as Michael bristled as he looked over at the misery on Maria’s face as no one had known back in high school when this had started that it would come to this day. “Doesn’t he have a code. The decency to want someone who is only his” he asked. “To have only his blood in his line…”

“You’re racist…” Grace challenged.

“I know decency” Khivar muttered.

“You want a perfect world. Where everyone is like each other and no one challenges you or have an ounce of free will and independence to them,” Grace asked. “Well this is Earth and we can do what we want, and love who we love, and you can’t stop us, and if that weakens us, so be it but I happen to think it empowers us to know we have a little bit of everyone in us…”

“Your humanity has made you weak…” Khivar asked. “If only I had gotten to you in time?”

“Thank god you didn’t” Grace muttered as back in his living room Max and Beth looked at each other in fear and the whole room knew the situation was escalating and Khivar was losing patient with Grace, and who knows what meant in the end. “I don’t want to think of the person I would be if you had gotten a hold of me” she utterly softly because she had known what had happened to Elizabeth at Nicholas’s hands.

“Idiots,” Khivar uttered. “You know I am half of a mind to think Nicholas should have taken you regardless than you would know where your place is…” he threatened. “If you had gotten your friends treatment…”

“Too late,” Grace declared “So, can I check on Agent Stevens?” Grace asked. “Why did you have to shoot her anyway?”

“Because she outlived her usefulness like those other duplicates. They all thought they were superior but they weren’t, when they were only backups in case things went wrong with the Royal Four and Agent Stevens just like her fellow cohorts, well, she thought she was winning but she was weak, and she was easy to fool” Khivar muttered.

“She knew evil when she saw it” Grace muttered.

“She thought she had a soul that your father’s Ava didn’t but maybe she did, but she was just as easy to manipulate as Nascedo did with his Ava” Khivar smiled. “She wanted up the ladder and she did sell her soul to get to the top. She and that partner of hers that she is so devoted to avenging her death, well, that was a stupid notion because her partner was quite easy to turn…”

“You turned her friend?” Grace asked.

“Yes,” Khivar smiled as if to think positively of someone. “Now Sylvia was someone special. Too bad I had to kill her when she outlived her usefulness. But she brought me enough information that got us to almost where we are today…” she sighed. “Unfortunately, the drugs got her”

“You don’t like leaving loose ends?” Grace asked.

“It does no one any good to leave loose ends otherwise they can tangle up and cause no end of trouble,” Khivar smiled. “Which draws us to how we started this conversation. Do I let you live?” he wondered as he felt alive with this little back and forth with Zan’s daughter. If only we had taken her? She is the chosen one. She knows how to fight. Rath’s brat is weak “Or do I do what I plan, which is to give your father a life of no ending pain because you know if your human of a husband one day will marry again if he doesn’t have you around, and your daughter will forget who you are…”

“Never,” Grace declared.

“You think you have your husband’s loyalty, and children’s loyalty is absolute… That is a foolish notion, but you will see, won’t you?”

“What are you planning?” Grace asked.

“To kill you…” Khivar slithered as prepared to pull the trigger knowing the desire to give his enemy ever lasting misery was too powerful a temptation than the thrill he was achieving in this engagement of back and force battle of wills between himself and Zan’s earthbound daughter but he was stopped in his tracks, suddenly, when the institution that had been too quiet in allowing this surreal situation to take place turned on all alarms, red lights all over the place, as if everything was triggered “Hey, what is going on?”

“Maybe someone knows that you are here…” Grace muttered although she did not really know what was going on, as she was only guessing.

“Well, that was a foolish move,” Khivar answered as he grabbed her by the arm, and muttered “Come on?”

As everyone was now on the move back at Max’s place moments before Belle had hacked into the security department of the hospital and set off the alarms, at the same time that Jim got the call that the helicopter was ready so Max, Michael and Jake ran off… While Jim elected to stay behind to man the fires here at home because the hospital was not in his jurisdiction, and there were space limitations in the helicopter.

While a terrified Beth and Maria stood with a very clear minded Belle, Isabel and Kyle who planned to stay until they knew more… and they want to the chance of Isabel encountering Khivar because of what happened back when she was younger, so they weren’t taking any chances.

“Oh god,” they all whispered in some fashion as they could see from the feeds that the setting of the alarm had only upset Khivar more as he had grabbed Grace and was pulling her towards the fire escape exit, and none of them knew if the men would be getting there in time?

“I don’t even want to think of what is going to happen, now, do I? Beth whispered.

“Stay calm,” Maria whispered. “Think of that baby…”

“How can I, when my first baby is in so much danger” as the watched the monitors and saw the child she had been separated for so long that she was a different person when she met her for the first time, and now was a wife and mother herself. She could not bare to have history repeat itself but this time with a more lasting complication as flashes came to her of times that she had been able to experiences these past seven years, and those she had missed as they whipped through her brain as she feared for the child she had only gotten to know for a short time.

She did not want to believe Death could win again, and this time it being branded as permanent.

“Where is Elizabeth?” Maria whispered as she had her own worries. As both women were thinking of their daughters, and what they were risking “Where did that bastard take her?”
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Always Tomorrow (CC, Mature) - A Reunion's Endgame - Chapter 38 - 09/05/2020

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Khivar admits he hates to see Max happy!
Oh dear........will Elizabeth be okay???
Parker1947
Obsessed Roswellian

Always Tomorrow - Chapter 39 - 09/08/2020

Post by Parker1947 »

No one knew where Elizabeth was, and she didn’t even know as she sat in the back of a van with a makeshift bandana over her eyes, as she had been grabbed and hauled into this van when she had gone to meet up with her friend after a session, like he wanted her to but, only she was grabbed and was unable to fight back as she was shoved into the van, but fortunately for her, this experience was vastly different than the one she experienced seven years ago. She did not know if that was good or bad. But she was hoping that it meant at least something positive. Still, she sat and wondered where she was being taken, yet to know at least she had not been drugged to keep her quiet.

She had enough of drugs to be last a lifetime, and she hoped she had not used up that lifetime. She somehow thought she had time although she hadn’t see Xavier as Khivar coming, and she should have but then if Agent Stevens had prepared her with the bastard’s face than maybe she would have been ahead of the game, and not a sitting duck. Shouldn’t she have prepared me? Elizabeth muttered to herself because she was now wondering of Stevens was part of the con.

She had known something was odd with Xavier, but she somehow looked past it because she wanted a friend to talk to. And she could not spend time with Grace for fear of giving her cover away, and she missed her family, and missed her sons most of all. Finn rang in her mind, as she hung onto the mental picture of him, and she prayed she had a chance to make it up to them.

All of them.

She wanted to see all of them again, as she felt the gravel under the vehicle’s tires, and wondered where she was being held. Thankfully, she was not being muzzled so she could continue to be her annoying self to try to buy herself. “Where are you taking me?”

“Shut up,” came the voice.

“Can’t, because I can’t see” Elizabeth muttered. “What are you planning for me?” as she wished she would get some answers, but knew answers weren’t going to come but she had to try nonetheless to keep her mind occupied and away from the dark places, that she had allowed herself to go seven years ago.

She did not want to go back there, and she was determined not to go back. She wanted to be a different person now, and she wanted to fight back…

“Boss doesn’t want you to know,” came the voice.

“This blind loyalty to whoever is paying your salary won’t save you in the end,” Elizabeth asked. “He’s going to kill you in the end, anyways?”

“How do you know?” came a voice.

“Because it’s what he does. When you lose your usefulness, then you are dispatched and it is onto someone new,” Elizabeth muttered. “I know people like him,” she murmured because Nicholas was like that, and unfortunately for her, Nicholas had found a use for her, for way too long, but fortunately she put an end to it.

“You really killed that guy, huh?” came a voice.

“Yeah,” Elizabeth admitted “Two of them… so you better be careful with what you do with me” she muttered because she would go to her death before she lived through seven years ago again, and plus she now had as backup the training that Max had taught her in the leadup to hospital. The hospital, wow that was a screw up she mused to herself as thought of the miscalculation of Ava, and she worried because Grace was now back there, all alone but still she knew she had to look out for herself because Grace would know how to get out of her tight spot “Because I know how to fight back…”

“No wonder boss likes you so much,” the voice said ignoring her threat as she started to formulate the plan as she did not need her eyesight to use her other powers at her disposal.

The helicopter ride for Max, Michael and Jake up north towards the institution was tense as none of them knew what they would find because it was like it was in a suspended motion as they prayed that they wouldn’t find danger. They all prayed for different reasons and for different results, as they did not want to be doing this, but knew they did not have any choice because the day had called for…

“If only she had stayed home?” Jake whispered. “So much of this could have been avoided…”

“Would it though?” Max muttered because he felt they were riding into a situation that had been coming for way to long, and he did not know if this was the end?

He prayed it was, but he also prayed that he did not lose the one thing that had kept him living during those years without the love of his life. Grace.

She had been the one thing that made his getting out of bed worthwhile and to see her grow up into an accomplished and beautiful young wife and mother had made I all worth it, and he didn’t want to be thinking that they were flying up to discover something that would change their lives.

Max had witnessed a fighter on that feed with his daughter going toe to toe with Khivar and knew that Khivar would not have any compulsion to end his daughter’s life, and Grace did not have the power to stop it.

“How did you know it was him?” Jake asked. “None of us did…”

“Because I have seen a picture of him, and really it was the essence of a monster there with my daughter” Max muttered as he still shivered at the nightmare of feeling that was coming through the screen, “It was the eyes,” he muttered because he remembered when he and Michael had battled Khivar back in high school. “It was definition of hell…”

“Where are we going?” Grace said as she felt yanked as she was being pulled with little choice. While, she knew she had the know how to pitch a fight and try to fight back because she had taken enough self defence lessons over the past seven years but she also Khivar had the ability to exert absolute control on someone. Something came through the elder generation, and while she had never really seen it with her father or aunt, or even Michael still she knew they had abilities she and the younger generation could only dream about, and none of them really wanted them. But on evenings like this when it was a matter of life or death maybe we should have had a little of that, but she did not have the know how. All she could do was pray that she could at least go down fighting or live to go back to her husband and daughter. Elizabeth had warned that she had ability to repeat history with her daughter facing growing up without a mother, but she had poopooed that, and now she really wish she had thought this through.

As she was wishing desperately to live to go home to her little girl.

“You do not need to know,” Khivar muttered as he pulled her towards the exit door…

“Where is everyone?” Grace asked as if to try to buy some time and a sudden though had come to a she was noticing as rooms that had been full earlier in the day were now empty, and security guards were not milling around which had happened earlier in the day.

“Cleared out the place,” Khivar smiled. “Couldn’t have any witnesses, could I?”

“How long have you had control of this place?” Grace asked.

“Since before even I came here,” Khivar smiled “That was nice of the incompetent Stevens to arrange for me. She picked the right place. A place I bought years ago. Fit my business model you see. It was a place where it all began a year ago as it was a fine place to keep an eye on Elizabeth when she was here last year. Which is of course why Nicholas was able to find out that she had surfaced with that lame ass suicide attempt. Amateurs he mused. Once that was over, I cleared out the place, and installed my own people, and here we are today…”

“Why control a mental hospital?” Grace asked if she did not know because she did because she was not that stupid.

“So many people, so many patients who need drugs to get better or to not get better as the case maybe be” Khivar smiled. “Dynamite business model, you see…” he sighed. “People in my line of business need business on the up and up, to bring the money, but of course it comes a time when you have to assert your control.”

“You’re insane…”

“No, just purely a businessman” Khivar disagreed. “I have a product, and it needs it’s clientele who is willing to consume my product, and these types of hospitals are the perfect place…” he allowed. “I would have liked to have kept Guerin in here purely to able to try out my product on her back then, but Nicholas wanted what he wanted.”

“Why did you allow him any leeway?” Grace asked. “Seems like you’re not one to want someone who does his own thing?”

“As I told you, I wanted back to Antar” Khivar smiled. “Needed an heir from the Royal Four bloodline. Would have preferred it to come from the King’s earthbound daughter but you had to go and be with that human,” he grunted. “So, we went with the next best option and since Vilondra doesn’t have the seal, and her children weren’t of age, and I do have a soft patch for her you see, and I don’t want to see her hurt. Even if she had to go and marry two of the softest bunch of humans I have ever witnessed and therefore she weakened her gene pool” he smiled. “Still I admire and love Vilondra. And I used Rath’s brat because I believed she had something in her blood, but I was wrong, when it should have been you. Rath’s brat was refusing the cooperate, and I was gaining enough a traction in my chosen career, so I thought, why not stick around here, and see what I could do on this planet. Of course, Nicholas still was trying to get a baby from that brat, but she was clever enough to stop it…”

“And it gave my clan pain?” Grace muttered

“Immense pain, which is always fun to see” Khivar laughed. “Okay, enough of this chitchat,” as he pushed her into the stairway, and barred the doors to prevent anyone to get in with his powers. Yanking her again, he pulled her up the stairs to what it was clearly becoming the roof, and when they finally got up there, she was pushed outside…

“What do you want?” Grace asked.

“I want it to look like two troubled patients broke out,” Khivar let out. “They will discover Agent Stevens dead in Elizabeth’s room…” he smiled. “Elizabeth is no where around so they will think she broke out, and to top it off, they will discover you dead up here, and figured that Elizabeth killed her co-conspirator.”

“No one will believe she would have killed me?” Grace asked. “They know our families are too close, and we love each other too much to hurt each other…”

“You see Elizabeth is a two-time admitted killer,” Khivar smiled. “She pled guilty to Nicholas’ death in court and was sentenced to a mental hospital to get better so anyone is going to see that she snapped, and she was very troubled. Years of drug abuse, and other abuses caught up and she couldn’t handle it anymore, and you were trying to get through to her, but she was too distraught, and she killed you…”

“No one will believe it,” Grace demanded.

“Oh, they will. The media today can be made to see something that clearly isn’t happening,” he smiled. “They will believe almost anything, or a fraction of them will believe it” Khivar smiled. “Enough of them will believe to cause your families endless grief…”

“You are mad…” Grace stammered

“Might be,” Khivar smiled. “But no one will care…”

“This won’t work,” Grace muttered.

“I think it will,” Khivar smiled as he aimed at Grace. “Do you have anything to say before I kill you…” he asked but before he could pull the trigger, they hear a whirling wind of a helicopter coming down. Grace took this time to yank out of his grip and kick him with a hard kick to the ground. He collapsed in groans, but he had also taken her down to the ground as well, as the gun also fell the ground.

Grace rolled over to get enough of a separation that she was able to get to the gun, and hold of the gun, and she frantically got up from the ground and she aimed it at Khivar, but Khivar blasted the gun out of her hand, and she felt the heat hit her hand, and she knew she wouldn’t be able to pick anything up as the ringing and numbness of her hand took over, as they went into a tangle, with the gun as the central star, as the helicopter was starting to make a landing…

As they were landing. Max, Michael and Jake looked in horror as they saw figures on the helipad, and it became clear it was Grace fighting with Khivar who had been ready to shoot her before she got control of the situation but then the monster took back control with his powers, and now they were in a fight, and they both knew, there was no good ending…

“No…” Max and Jake let out as they watched in horror Please no

Stopping the helicopter, the pilot had not even stopped a moment when the doors were opened on all sides, and they rushed out. “Grace… no”

And before they heard anything else, a deafly sound was heard, of a BOOM of a gunshot, and then a silence enveloped the black skies…. as Khivar calmly got up and dropped the gun and was smiling at Max and Michael. “Good to see you gentlemen. You have come to witness quite the event…” he said to wide smiles. “The destruction of your worlds” he smiled as he stepped away as they could see Grace was lying flat on the ground…

Bleeding…