Where Loyalty Lies (DA,XO,UC, ADULT)EpilogueComplete11/20/10

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

Egyptian_Kiss
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Where Loyalty Lies (DA,XO,UC, ADULT) Ch24 9/15/10

Post by Egyptian_Kiss »

Where Loyalty Lies
Disclaimer:
I do not own neither Roswell, nor Dark Angel.
Category: Roswell/Dark Angel XO
Rating: ADULT
Pairings:
Liz/Alec, Max/Raed, Maria/Zack, Krit/Syl
Summary: Takes place after series finale of DA and Departure on Roswell- except Max, Isabel, Michael, and Tess all left for Antar; set in DA timeline. When White and his agents get a trace on Liz they come after her and everyone she knows. Kyle is killed along with her parents and the Sheriff. Fleeing for their lives, Liz takes Maria to the one place she has heard of rebellion, where her sister is the leader of 'their' kind. Nothing is certain, but for a super-solid and her Ordinary friend- loyalty is their only protection.

Chapter Twenty-Five

"That was an impressive display, Adia," Lydecker said and Alec's eyes focused his vision to pinpoint where Lydecker marched beside Liz. Her lips were tightened thinly and though he couldn't see her eyes, Alec knew they were would be that deep brown that sparkled with something wild.

"Quiet down," Max ordered from beside Alec and he noted that Raed marched, wordlessly next to her.

"What is it you are exactly?" Lydecker said in stage whisper.

They had been marching for at least ten minutes and they had reached a part of downtown Seattle that Alec had been through many times on his Jam Pony deliveries. The whole feel of this meeting was suspect, so suspicious it was affected in every uniformed movement the ranks made.

"I'm so proud of how far you've come since you were a child- with all your skills and sharper than ever. I remember-" Mid-sentence, Liz broke rank and grabbed Lydecker by his throat with one hand, the other hanging limply, robotically at her side.

"You don't have a right to be proud. Say one more word to me, ever, and I will rip your windpipe out," Liz whispered huskily, a dead look in her eyes and a calm slackness overcoming her features.

A hover drone came up over the roof of the warehouse to their left and dropped down ten feet from Liz. She moved quickly and placed both of her hands firmly on Lydecker's shoulders- a petrified fear frozen in his eyes- levering her weight against him and flipping over his head, landing perched on top of the drone. Her weight brought the drone to the pavement and Alec- much like everyone else- watched as Liz stretched her right leg to the side, grabbed her thigh gun, swung her arm behind her back and shot where her foot had just been. The impact of the bullet shattered the top of the hover drone and blew out smoke while it sparked.

Silence and stillness clung to the moment before Max shook off her surprise and shouted for reformation of the ranks.

"Badass," Jondy said behind him and Alec threw her a smirk over his shoulder. Liz was definitely badass, and it was a lethal brand of sexy.

Boots pounding pavement filled the streets as they filed toward their destination. Several more hover drones appeared and Xs took them down. An innocuous building took form in a hundred yards up and Alec checked to his secured weapons. The plain wood front of the warehouse had a two-door entrance and Max gave the signal to ready. Stepping forward, Alec did the seven door coded knock Mole had gotten from Asha and heard the sound of steps and whispers as static charged the air.

A man dressed to the letter as a military officer opened the door and faced them. His expression was blank, but as Alec moved passed him he could hear the soldier's heart beating irregularly, fast and erratic.

The warehouse had high ceilings with low hanging metal beams and support structures. A twenty foot long black wood table sat toward the back of the room where bright light shone down from fixture that hung low on grey poles from the beams overhead. The sound of the transgenic ranks filing in behind him filled Alec with a familiar rush of confidence- only mildly tamped down by the gun wielding government guards that surrounded the perimeter of the room. When they formed a crowd around the perimeter, transgenics facing the guard surrounding the room, and a uniformed line of backup enforcement around the table of government representatives, Max stepped forward and Liz stepped to her side.

All of the assembled officials were sweating and the thumping of their hearts was like thunder in transgenic ears- they were nervous. Something wasn't right, Alec thought and he felt his senses opening up more sharply, trying to find the discrepancy, the source of his discomfort.

A tall, fierce looking man with general stripes and a buzz cut stood. His decorated metals draped his uniform and pride was etched into his stance as he cleared his throat.

"We're not clear why this meeting is being called, but the United States Armed Forces, FBI, CIA, and HS is present. You are the transgenic representatives?" the buzz cut man asked.

"I represent the transgenics and we have a proposition for you," Max stated, her brows drawn while she kept her stance deceptively open- she was prepared for anything. It was clear from the curl of her fingertips as she twitched her middle finger, signaling for them to stand at the ready.

"A proposition? You want us to work with you freaks?" shouted a man with orange-red hair and a bristly beard and flaring nostrils; his dirt brown eyes creased as he glared. Alec noted the .45 holstered at his waist and bent his right knee, ready to strike if necessary.

"Are you aware that a terminable chameleon virus is spreading through the United States which will kill every person in breathing range?" Max retorted harshly. She slanted the pudgy, red head with a stilting look.

"And how do you know about this virus? Is this a ploy? You create an incurable disease and then offer us a deal to fix it?" asked a man with a SWAT jacket on and an FBI badge hanging from his breast pocket.

"Think again. Does the name Ames White ring any bells? He was a cult leader," Max asserted, watching as the FBI agent reached for something in his pocket. Everyone tensed until he pulled out a notepad and began reading.

"Unknown virus outbreak in New York, Virginia, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, and California. It has spread to fifty million people as of yesterday morning and hospitals are overrun with patients. No known antigen exists and the virus is mutating in an unpredictable strain that is chemically incomparable to previous genetic records. There is an estimated three weeks before everyone in the United States and north of Brazil in Mexico will be infected. Two million have already been placed in the ICU, and there is a reported forty-two thousand deaths as of this morning. Is this the virus you are talking about?" asked the FBI agent as a woman in all black and a too-big blazer leaned forward to snatch his pad.

"You aren't supposed to have received these numbers until next week," the woman stated outraged, her long blond braid flipping to and fro as she pocketed the pad.

"Look lady, the FBI knows everything," the man rejoined, also leaning forward.

"Nothing not cleared by Homeland Security, you don't," she countered.

"That call is not yours to make, ma'am. I gave him the information. He needed to be briefed before this meeting. The informant was clear that this was a national matter," a blue-eyed old man stated, rubbing his reddening ears and brushing back some of his white hair. His badge read CIA. Who didn't Asha manage to alert, Alec wondered, impressed.

The blond whipped her braid to the left and glanced at the CIA agent to her right. "You had no right. I told you that this information-" she began and then stopped when the military official slammed a fist against the tabletop and the clatter echoed.

"Let's not turn this into a pissing contest people. Back to the matter at hand. What offer do you have for us?" buzz cut asked, he was sweating profusely now and there was shifting in the ranks- the humans were on edge.

"We have the scientist who worked with this virus and he knows how to create the antibody. We are willing to give you the cure in exchange for immunity. We do not want to be caged, killed, threatened, or harmed in anyway. We won't freedom, the same rights as every other U.S. citizen," Max demanded, her index finger twitching- time to grab a weapon and wait.

Alec's hand slid down to his side and he hooked a finger around the handle of his best knife. Similar movements happened around him as the yelling began again.

"What? Are you on crack or does that brain of yours just not work right? You aren't human. You have no rights," shouted the FBI agent and the female Homeland Security rep. drew a small gun- almost imperceptible in the lighting, but Alec watched her point it at Max only to hear the cocking of another gun. His eyes flashed to Liz and he saw that she had pulled a special and had it trained on the braided blond. Her eyes were fully focused on the military soldier even as her finger tightened just enough to make a warning noise. That's his girl, Alec thought, curbing the urge to smile. A feral part of him snarled with pride.

"At ease," the soldier said and Max signaled everyone to stay while Liz's gun stayed trained on the blond and the blond stood so perfectly still from fear the gun in her hand was frozen. The smell of her fear was an intoxicant of war and the Xs stood uneasily in their silence.

"How do you know that your antibody will work?" the older man asked, compulsively running a hand through his white hair.

"Because I can guarantee it," Sandeman announced, stepping forward, the gentle tick-tick of his walking stick on the floor heralding his movement. He stepped forward with Joshua just behind him, right beside Liz.

"Sandeman?" the CIA man asked. He blinked several times and then rose to get a closer look.

"George," Sandeman said back in greeting, clasping his hand once he was close enough. Liz had tensed when the white-haired man stepped to the side of her, in front of Sandeman, but her trigger finger remained steady and unmoving.

"I'll be damned. I thought you were done for when we were back in 'Nam together. How are you mixed up in all of this?" the CIA man- George- asked Sandeman.

"Manticore," Sandeman said in a booming voice and the room itself took a breath.

"Charles," George whispered, anguished, stress lines appearing on his face.

"Everyone here knows about it. No point pussyfooting old friend. We have something you need, and you have something we need. I have a sample of the cure already prepared and ready to be tested. It is at your leisure that people die now," Sandeman said and he leaned heavily on his stick, waiting.

"This is unprecedented," the blond woman said, her eyes no longer shocked in petrified terror. She lowered her weapon and Liz removed her finger from the trigger, though her gun stayed raised. Alec wondered if it was a light piece, it was a bitch to lock arm muscles for that long, transgenic or not.

"The first in a long line of historical mistakes, I assure you," Lydecker said, voice ringing.

"Colonel Lydecker?" the soldier asked, his tone not altogether surprised though his words were halting.

Liz's face changed in a heartbeat, her body flipping up in the air and backward to land behind Lydecker, her gun reappearing in a blur at his temple as she unsheathed a hidden blade and brought it up and under his left arm, right below his armpit. She had him with a flick of the wrist or a pull of the trigger. The bravery leeched out of him and Lydecker stilled, mouth closed in a crinkled line. Walking them forward, Liz retook her place beside her sister and kept her words to herself. Alec wondered what she was thinking just then.

"This is kidnapping," the soldier shouted, his calm lost as he eyed Lydecker.

"Call it what you will. He attacked us and we reciprocated in kind," Max told him, saying it loud enough for everyone in the room to hear- human and X alike.

"You can't just-" the blond began and Liz shot her a look that cut her short. The smell of her fear returned.

"I think it's pretty clear what we're capable of," Liz said, and Sandeman nodded.

"That thing doesn't even look human," the FBI agent told them, pointing at Joshua.

"He has more humanity than you. Hunting us down because we're different. Is that what America stands for?" Liz asked, her eyes glowing unnaturally, her skin turning transparent slightly, though not altogether noticeably.

"Melting pot my ass," Alec whispered and several transgenics around him smirked having picked up his quiet words.

"Young lady," George started and seeing the fire in Liz's eyes changed tact, "Soldier. We are not here to discuss rights; we are here to talk temporary truce."

"That's not acceptable. That's not good enough," Max replied as Liz moved her gaze to George, within arm's length of her.

"We could rip you apart in less time than it would take you to breathe. Our restraint is our temporary truce. You want to save your ass? Agree to the terms. You want to die while we survive? Okay by me," she told him, a cruel curl tipping her lips and a flash of white tooth shined at George, who looked down at the floor and then back up at Sandeman.

"Be reasonable, Charles," George said to Sandeman and the two exchanged a non-verbal communication.

"I'm sorry, George, but as the old saying goes; all's fair in love and war," Sandeman returned and he sighed.

"And how do we know that you won't give a fake cure?" the FBI agent demanded, pounding a fist on the table as several weapons turned in his direction.

"Same way we trust that you will uphold our rights. We work together and get it all in writing," Sandeman stated, smiling reassuringly.

Silence clung to the air and no other sound penetrated the room. Until a gun went off. A shot rang out and a distinctly human gasp sounded as Sandeman fell, his body pitching forward as George caught his body and blood splattered the floor to Sandeman's right. A gun wound dampening his shirt and his walking stick clattered to the floor.

It happened so quickly everyone acted on instinct. The transgenics grabbed the human soldiers as they took aim and shot- wounding several Xs around the room. The officials were snatched up from their seats at the table and Liz disappeared from Alec's view as he elbowed a human soldier across the face and disarmed him.
"Do not kill," Max shouted above the dim of battle and the blaring of gun shots lowered a degree as more of the human soldiers were detained and held hostage out of the way of the fight. Lydecker and his transgenics broke free; X6s and X7s rushed them, battling hand to hand.

Crouching low, Alec swept out a leg; two human soldiers fell backward into the struggle occurring behind them. Bunching the muscles in his calves, Alec waited for just the right moment and sprang forward, flipping into the fray before him, heading for where he had last seen Max. He collided with Isabel and his arms wrapped instinctively around her. He saw that the main government officials were already held by Joshua and the other nomalies that had come with them. He couldn't see Liz anywhere.

An explosion in his peripheral vision caught his eye and Alec released a shaking Isabel. Liz hovered midair- left arm clutching a chain wrapped around a high beam and right flung outward toward the exits. The sound of doors rattling shut as they were forcibly slammed shut added to the dim; the sound of crunching bone indicating a body part had been caught in one of the doorways followed by a hollow scream. Her skin shone like pale moonbeams among the low lighting of the warehouse. Those eyes that made him sizzle with lust grew eerily dark, wide and ominous as pure darkness absorbed them.

"Isabel," Liz called and Alec felt Isabel still turgidly beside him. "Create a light-port and get the officials out of here."

Turning his head to the blond, Alec saw her fear, watched as her throat flexed around a swallow. The light humming that Liz's power radiated grew around Isabel, answering the call, and Alec stared dumbstruck for a moment as a five foot circle of purplish light opened up in front of Isabel and to his side. A supernatural wind whirled in the center and the ceiling shook violently above the battle.

"I've never tried to send anyone through," Isabel yelled over the whirlwind sound of the sucking void, "I don't even know if I can send more than one person. Or if they'll make it through."

"Get as many of people through as you can. Liz is new to controlling her powers; there won't be anything left when she's done. You have to try," Alec ordered, pushing shaking humans into the beam and watching as they evaporated with terrified screams right before his eyes. The animal in him was snarling, his fight or flight instinct at war with his urge to survive and his need to complete the mission.

Pain burst from the base of his skull as a blow struck the base of his neck and Alec pitched forward. He landed in a push-up, forcing his hand to take the brunt of the fall. Twisting in a side spiral, Alec land flat on his back and used flat palms to propel him to his feet. Lydecker stood wielding a pair of guns, gleaming in the hue of Isabel's light.

"You failed me, 494," Lydecker told him, face straight and emotionless as blood beaded and flowed from a gash in his right temple- a weak spot.

"You sick son-of-a-bitch, I'll-" Alec started to say but was stopped when Isabel stepped a little to close and Lydecker snatched her up, throwing down one of his weapons as he whirled around, and held the remaining gun to her head. Her eyes widened and Alec watched as she stared at him in fear.

"Pretty little thing. What are you, exactly?" Lydecker asked her, and Alec growled aloud, hunching his back and sneering in response. The shining nuzzle of the gun stroked Isabel's head from temple to neck before affixing to her temple. "I might not be a transgenic or whatever she is, but I'm a good shot and even a human can't miss at this range."

The floor shook suddenly and the walls cracked, beams dropped from above and a hole tore open in the roof. The rebelling Xs were being backed into a corner as the humans finished disappearing into Isabel's light-port. The nomalies followed them and Isabel kept shooting glances at the light. He had to give her an opening.

"You don't want her. Stop hiding and fight me," Alec shouted.

"You forget. I made you; I know what you're capable of. I'm not stupid enough to try and walk out of here without leverage."

Lydecker was backing up to one of the doors in the far corner, dragging a squirming Isabel along with him as Alec advanced. Their progress was the center of attention as the rebels were contained.

"Liz," Alec heard Max shout somewhere out sight and he fought the urge to look.

"Max get Isabel and get out," Alec heard Liz yell from above and his heart beat double-time as Lydecker's eyes settle on something just past right shoulder.

A blur sped between Alec and Lydecker just as Lydecker pulled the trigger. For one frozen moment, Alec thought that Max hadn't been fast enough, that she had been a split second too late, but when the sound died and the blur disappeared, Isabel was gone and Lydecker was pressed flat against the wall beside the door.

"Get out now!" Liz screamed from above and the thunder of footfalls to his right alerted Alec to the ranks fleeting retreat.

His hand came up and around Lydecker's neck, his fingers flexing, readying to kill as he forced Lydecker to drop his last gun. The feel of straining veins pulsing in his palm and the thrilling scent of Lydecker's sweat and fear filled his nostrils as Alec clenched a little tighter, watching the stunned and frightful look enter his prey's eyes.

"Alec, you have to get out! I can't hold its coming. Leave him. He won't survive the blast," Liz cried to him and Alec clamped down on the killing haze that entered his mind. He pulled a knife from his back pocket and thrust it into Lydecker's shoulder, pinning him to the wall, and snarled as he turned to run.

"Rot in hell," Alec shouted over his shoulder and slid in a skid across the floor and into the light-port, feeling a slug bury in his torso unexpectedly as a foreign energy surged through his body and ripped him limb from limb, a scream vibrating in his throat as he looked up and watched Liz explode, her cry deft to him as her eyes met his and the light consumed him, pulling him under as he dissolved.

A/N: More coming soon. Thanks for all the reviews. This chapter would have been out sooner but I just recently started a new job and had midterms. Two chapters left. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think, EK!
Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal~Pamela Vaull Starr
Egyptian_Kiss
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Where Loyalty Lies (DA,XO,UC, ADULT) Ch25 10/12/10

Post by Egyptian_Kiss »

Where Loyalty Lies
Disclaimer: I do not own neither Roswell, nor Dark Angel.
Pairings: Liz/Alec, Max/Raed, Maria/Zack, Krit/Syl
Summary: Takes place after series finale of DA and Departure on Roswell- except Max, Isabel, Michael, and Tess all left for Antar; set in DA timeline. When White and his agents get a trace on Liz they come after her and everyone she knows. Kyle is killed along with her parents and the Sheriff. Fleeing for their lives, Liz takes Maria to the one place she has heard of rebellion, where her sister is the leader of 'their' kind. Nothing is certain, but for a super-solid and her Ordinary friend- loyalty is their only protection.

Chapter Twenty-Six

Exploding is peaceful. It's like taking a deep breath and then blowing it out fast. Liz could feel the moment that she blew apart in every direction. Her eyes had been staring at Alec as he disappeared and it was in that moment, that revelation that he was going to be okay, that her body shuddered. The quiver of it ran from the tips of her toes to the top of her head and then she couldn't see anything at all. She couldn't see the light of the explosion, or watch the shattering of glass, metal and concrete, or the horrified expression on Lydecker's face, but she felt it- with everything inside of her, Liz could feel.

There was no pain. No reel of her life flashed before her eyes; it was as if an inner-calm- foreign to her- overwhelmed her from the inside. Liz wondered if this is what it felt like to die, but it seemed like the opposite, like she was being born in that moment- existing everywhere at once.

She tried to use her voice, but no sound came out. She tried to open her eyes, but she could see nothing. She tried to move her body, but nothing happened.

She tried to hear, and she heard him. No other sounded existed but the sound of his voice.

"She didn't get out, Max. She's gone," his voice was so hollow. Liz wanted to see Alec's face, to touch his arm, to hold him- to kiss him.

"I don't know what you want me to fucking say, Max! She's gone, she's-" Alec's voice broke and Liz heard him sob, felt him shudder. He was so alone, Liz thought, and she tried to reach for him.

"She waited till I was gone. She took Lydecker out with her," Alec said and Liz realized he was right. Lydecker hadn't been able to move when her body gave way to the blast. It seemed like she was listening to a phone call- only getting a one way feed of the conversation. How could she be dead but still hear his voice, feel the warmth of his body.

"I'm sorry, Maxie. I'm-" Alec's voice broke again and Liz could feel the warmth of his tears and the puff of his breath.

A new feeling came over her, like she was being watched, and Liz tried to open her eyes again, and she succeeded. She was in a white space, expanding in all directions. She glanced down at her body and took an alarmed breath when she saw she was naked. Looking around her, she spotted him, sitting on a wooden bench, like the ones in Roswell's Turtle Park.

"Alex?" Liz whispered and the sound of her voice startled her. She couldn't feel Alec anymore, she couldn't hear him- it was as if he disappeared.

A broad smile spilt across Alex's face and Liz took another deep breath. He was the same as he had been the last time Liz had seen him. Shiny dark brown hair, bright white smile, pale skin, insightful doe brown eyes, and a tall, slender frame; he even wore a familiar band tee shirt with jeans. Maybe she was dead now.

"Hi Liz," Alex said and the sound of his voice jolted her out of her staring stupor.

"Are you real?" Liz asked.

"Yes. I've missed you, Liz," he said and Liz walked over to his seat, dropped gracelessly into the seat available on the bench and wrapped her arms around him. He was warm and real and here, Liz thought. Her eyes pricked with tears and her nose tickled as she inhaled, trying to hold them off. Dryer-warm clothes sagged over her legs and arms, and with a downward glance, she saw a matching tee shirt covered her top half and gray pants hung in baggy fold around her legs.

"I love you, Alex. I'm so sorry," Liz said, head perched on his shoulder. "I couldn't save you. I should have known, I should have done something- but I didn't. And now you're dead and I'm dead and it doesn't matter," Liz murmured. She gave in and cried and her nails dug into his shirt, ripping the cotton and making semi-circle gashes in the gray material.

"Woah, who says you're dead? A guy can't come and visit his best friend?" Alex said, pulling her back to look into her eyes, smile stretching wider. "And Liz, you didn't kill me, so cut the waterworks. Things are supposed to happen a certain way. I thought Kyle had made that clear."

"You saw Kyle?" Liz asked, eyes widening, shining with more unshed tears as she brushed away her tears.

Tilting his head to the side and pursing his lips, Alex nodded, "Yeah. And he told me you'd kicked the guilt trips. I, however, know little Lizzie Parker, and she is one stubborn chick."

"Alex, you don't understand, I'm a-"

"Transgenic super-girl? Yeah, I know. That doesn't make you God, Liz. No wonder you and Max never worked out, you both have God-complexes. Do I look upset, Liz?" Alex asked her and she stared at him. He didn't look upset, he looked relaxed and nerdy, the same as when he was alive.

"But, you and Isabel, you never got the chance to be together," Liz said. Liz thought she had kicked these thoughts, had left them behind when she left Roswell behind and became Adia, super-soldier badass who'd flicked the switch on her emotions.

"You can't flip the switch on emotions, Liz. Isabel and I," he paused with a thoughtful look of confusion. "We wouldn't have worked out anyway. She has a future on Antar and I'm happy for her. Did you know she's engaged?"

Liz's eyebrows shot up on her forehead and she shook her head.

His eyebrows drew together as he looped an arm over she shoulders, "She probably didn't want to tell you because she feels guilty about the whole thing. She keeps praying to me, asking me for guidance. It's really hard to guide the living, Liz, I hope you know that. I have this small window of time with you while your molecules reassemble. Can you tell her for me that I said, it's okay to be with Nafeer and that I like blue moons too? She'll understand."

Leaning her head back against his shoulder, Liz's soft amber eyes looked up into his and she smiled, "I'd do anything for you, Alex. Can you…tell my parents I love them."

That penetratingly pensive stare that had overcome him disappeared into his goofiest smile, "You just did, Liz. We can always hear you when you're talking from the heart. And can I tell you, I'm happy for you, Liz. You deserve a sister like Max and a guy like Alec."

The brightness of the blinding white around them got brighter and Liz felt sore everywhere.

"And Liz, tell Maria that Jillian is beautiful," he whispered as the whiteness of the room started to gleam off his skin and the solidity of the bench faded under them. Liz threw her arms around him and kissed his cheek as he gripped her back and then she was falling.

Arms flung out at her sides, Liz screamed, her stomach plummeting as she fell. Above head there was a brilliant flash and the sight of metal and roofing met her upward gaze. Cool air rushed in her ears like thunder and her voice was lost to her. Just as she lost her breath, she hit. Her body slammed against two soft yet solid bars.

Her vision hazed and swam and she felt like she was being crushed. She realized she was being held and crushed to a well-muscled chest. Pushing against the person's shoulder, Liz gasped for breath and Alec's beautiful, masculine face came into view.

"Liz," he said. "Are you okay?" His voice was wobbly and his eyes were red and he was bleeding from his right temple.

"You caught me," she whispered, her right hand looped around his neck and her left raised to his cheek.

He nodded; eyes wide with surprise and awe that she had never seen fleck his green eyes. His eyes were dark like a forest of dense trees and shining. His lips were still the perfect kissable shape, but they too were bleeding. She had the strongest urge to trace his lips with her fingertips, and she did, staring at them and then back up into those endless eyes.

"I'm okay. I love you," Liz said and she felt a vulnerability that was new, not like Liz Parker, but somewhere inside of herself a small, soft, sensitive spot had grown and she knew, connecting with his gaze- it was because of him. He had made the soldier in her bend, but he hadn't broken her, a compromise had occurred, and she hadn't even realized it until just then.

The disbelief in his eyes faded and his face drew closer to hers and captured her lips in a strong kiss. His tongue entered her mouth, their teeth banged together, and Liz closed her eyes. Tearing through the film of privacy that separated them, their minds connected.

Liz falling to the ground at the TC perimeter.

Liz walking up the platform in Command Central for the first time.

Liz and Jondy fighting.

Liz slamming her fists against the pavement as it exploded.

Liz lying unconscious in his arms as they returned from their first mission together.

Liz staring at Alec across the pool table in the TC bar.

Liz staring up at Alec as he thrust inside of her.

Liz exploding while hanging from a ceiling chain.

Gasping, Liz pulled away and realized there was an audible murmur in Command Central, where Alec had caught her from her materialization.

"Liz!" someone shouted and she looked over Alec's shoulder to see her sister Max, Maria, Isabel, Michael, and King Max rushing her way.

"I guess this is the part where I put you down," Alec murmured in her ear, and the warm feel of his breath sent a spike of excitement down her spine.

"Don't you dare," Liz told him, glancing up at him again. "I'm happy where I am."

He smiled. He smiled and she lit up inside seeing it. "You got it, babe."

"Liz, you're okay!" Maria said, skidding to a stop just in front of Liz and Alec as Alec turned to face them beside the ring.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

Maria was wearing an oversized lab coat that had blood splattered across it and tears glistening in drying trails on her cheeks. Isabel's robes were torn and dirty and she had tears running down her face. Her sister Max looked like she had been crying, but had settled on a pissed off expression, her delicate eyebrows drawn together in contention. King Max stood beside his sister looking stoic while Michael looked dazed and amazed. They were all standing together staring at her.

"How?" Isabel asked, arms looping with Michael and Max's.

"I don't know," Liz said, shrugging uselessly.

"Liz, I felt you die," Max whispered, staring at her with his deepest look, the one that use to make her toes curl and her hair stand on end.

"Yeah, Parker, I've heard of miracles, but exploding and reappearing?" Michael contributed.

"Shut up, everyone. I want Liz to explain," Max said, her voice booming as she stepped forward and sandwiched Liz in a hug where she hung in Alec's arms. "You scared me," Max whispered and even Liz had a hard time hearing it, but she nodded against Max's shoulder- she had scared herself.

Max backed off and stood beside Maria as Zack came up behind them along with Krit, Syl, and Raed. Raed took up behind Max, hands resting on Max's waist. Liz watched as Max leaned back into Raed, still in their fatigues, and wondered how she had missed that development.

"I did explode," Liz started and her voice felt scratchy in her throat at the confession. "I couldn't see anything or move, but I felt everything and I could hear you, Alec," Liz said, looking up at him again, his arms tensing. "It was like a one way phone conversation that I overheard. You were telling someone what happened to me. And then I couldn't; I went somewhere else. I saw Alex."

At her admission, the pod squad and Maria tensed. They radiated hostility and anxiety, and Liz prayed Alex was listening too.

"Liz, Alex is dead," Max said gently, his face confused and hurt.

"I know, Max, I know. But somehow, I saw him. He said, my body was reforming, so I guess it was…my soul? He said to tell you, Maria, that Jillian is beautiful. And, he said to tell you, Isabel, that he's happy for you and Nafeer and he likes blue moons too," Liz whispered the last and she fought back a grimace as Isabel crumbled in a heap to the floor sobbing.

"No," Isabel cried softly. "He. I just, I don't what to say."

"It is okay, Isabel. He said it's okay to let him go. You have a future on Antar," Liz said, arms wrapped around Alec's neck. She watched Michael lean down and gather Isabel up in his arms, whispering to her.

"I don't understand, still Liz," Max said to her, his hand hovering on Isabel's shoulder for that strength that he always seemed to have ready to give to others. Liz could almost picture him leading a planet, that silent strength and those comforting eyes.

"I don't know that we ever will, but I'm okay now," Liz said and she watched Maria turn to Zack who appeared to be confused, as they hugged.

"I know what happened," Syl said, stepping forward, smiling. "My little sister has stuff to do in this world. We not going to shake her so easy, are we Liz?"

"No," Liz agreed, giving her an honest smile.

"Good," Krit said, pulling Syl back into his side, giving her his own quiet smile. He hadn't changed in that way.

"What happened to everyone who went through the light-port?" Liz asked.

Max, who had gone quiet since she demanded answer out of Liz, straightened up and nodded to the exit, "They made it through to Command. We're attending the wounded in the infirmary and Sandeman is in talks about the antigen as we speak. They've agreed to help us Liz, because of you."

It had worked, the virus would be cured and transgenics would work toward peace. The world would see change, and it was because of her. Liz felt her eyes drooping as she contemplated all the work ahead of them, and she held in a yawn.

"Liz has been through enough. I'm taking her back to our apartment. We'll talk about all this later, okay Maxie?" Alec said above her head and Liz leaned her head against his chest, kissing his throat, the strong corded muscles moving as he spoke.

"What if she's wounded?" King Max asked and Liz flicked her eyes at him and then up to Alec's stony expression. His nostril flared when he was agitated.

"Then I'll take her to the infirmary," Alec said, shouldering past King Max as he went, and Liz let loose her long yawn, tears blurring her eyes in exhaustion.

The air outside Command Central was chilly, but Alec's body radiated warmth through the walk, and Liz closed her eyes. Next thing she knew, Alec was placing her on their soft mattress, and he was slowly stripping her.

Opening her eyes, Liz watched him. She had fallen from the ceiling of Command in a pair of gray pants and a tee shirt- it was the same as Alex's band tee shirt- and nothing else.

"Where did these clothes come from?" Alec whispered up to her, as he tugged the cottony material down her pale legs, and tossed them at the foot of the mattress on the floor.

Yawning even more widely, Liz shrugged; her shoulders were sore, "I think Alex. I really don't know, when I first saw him I was naked, but then they just appeared when I sat down next to him."

"He saw you naked?" Alec asked.

"For like a second," Liz murmured as Alec kissed up on leg and down the other, inspecting her for injuries. They're eyes met and Alec gave her a hard look and then let it fade. "It's not like it was his fault," Liz defended.

Alec nodded and kissed her stomach as he pushed the material of the tee up. Liz half sat up and allowed Alec to pull the top off and throw it on top of the pants. He kissed up her stomach, over her belly button, and briefly paused to kiss each breast. He worked up her neck and down each arm, and Liz moved with the gentle push of his hands as he turned her to inspect her back, kissing her neck as he went.

He pushed her to lie down and stood, quickly shedding his fatigues, and joining her. He faced her to the wall, and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling up the blanket.

"You're perfect," he whispered hotly into her ear, kissing the sensitive spot behind her ear.

"Thank you," she said and felt sleeping tugging at her and tried to fight it. She turned to face him and felt his body heat envelop her. She leaned in and kissed his lips softly. He refused to open his mouth though when she tried to deepen it.

He angled his head away from her and stared into her dark brown eyes and she shivered.

"I just want to hold you. Know that you're real," he told her gently and the timber of his voice touched that soft spot inside as Liz nodded and tears slid down her cheeks and chin and fell on his chest. "Shh, you're with me now."

"I thought I wouldn't see you ever again," Liz whispered. She had tried not to think of the possibility, but it had been there and it haunted her now.

"Me too. But I couldn't let go of the feeling you were with me. I felt like you were there when I was telling Max what happened. But you defy logic, Liz and you're mine. I'm never letting you go," Alec told her and Liz stuttered out a gasp as he kissed her through her tears and she gripped at him tightly. They kissed for so long and when she pulled back Liz smiled at him, wiping her tears off his chest.

"Ever?" Liz asked.

"Ever." And together they fell asleep. Knowing they were tied, forever.

Author's Note: Alright folks, that is the last chapter before the soon-to-come epilogue! I hope you've enjoyed this story as much as I have. It has been a treasure and treat to write this fanfiction and to read my feedback. I will have the epilogue up by Saturday night. Let me know what you think, I value every review. Until Saturday, Egyptian_Kiss!
Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal~Pamela Vaull Starr
Egyptian_Kiss
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Where Loyalty Lies (DA,XO,UC, ADULT) Ch26 11/17/10

Post by Egyptian_Kiss »

Where Loyalty Lies
Disclaimer: I don't own neither Roswell, nor Dark Angel.
Pairings: Liz/Alec, Max/Raed, Maria/Zack, Krit/Syl
Summary:
Takes place after series finale of DA and Departure on Roswell- except Max, Isabel, Michael, and Tess all left for Antar; set in DA timeline. When White and his agents get a trace on Liz they come after her and everyone she knows. Kyle is killed along with her parents and the Sheriff. Fleeing for their lives, Liz takes Maria to the one place she has heard of rebellion, where her sister is the leader of 'their' kind. Nothing is certain, but for a supersolid and her Ordinary friend- loyalty is their only protection.

And a big thank you to everyone who reviewed (in order of review):

garcia88
roswllian love
pandas2001
vampyrolover86
tinie38
Appleprincess
LlizMichael4Ever
Jensen Lover 37
Maiqu
Lizandzackfan
Touch of the Wind
Mel1307
Queen Fee
crashdown'47
bettylove8
SnowyOwl-17
elfangel01
behrstars
Bellanova
Synera
C&N214
December
WinchesterBunni
PeytonLeigh
dstarlight
AlysLuv
Behrgurl*87
Christina2984
Lizzie
forever dreamer
Courting Disaster
clarkloveslana
VanilCoke
flyawayraven
Ladeia3
Amelia
burningchaos
Adian
Dziumka
tiger100
Jezebel Jinx
darkmoon
alexcaesar
fourrightcords
KiaraAlexisKlay
Twilighteyes
LizNdAlec4eva
booktv-girl2310
Detzer84
AvalonRose
antariangirl93
alisakuya
Adrian Caine
ja.foster

Epilogue

The clink of metal on metal as Liz slid a new clip into her gun alerted Alec to her location in the warehouse. Today had been pretty shitty- starting with waking up at 0300 to make sure Liz was awake and ready to make the deposit over at Hematech2000, the blood labs that had been handling the cure since the U.S. government signed the Transgenic-American rights amendment to the constitution six months prior. Ever since she went into heat- two weeks ago- Liz had been relying on Alec to wake her up after a night of sating her animal urges. Her heat was lasting longer due to the fact they were now mated. Not that he was complaining.

Maxie had turned into a government liaison on behalf of human-transgenic relations after Terminal City had been bought out as a transgenic preservation, part of the perks of the transgenic amendment. She and Raed had shacked up in a place of their own on the north side of TC, and there wasn't a day that went by Alec didn't have to deal with a smack upside the head or some "sisterly advice" about how to treat Liz. Alec was happy that Liz had Max and things were cool between them- hell he didn't even mind driving them to joint blood lab sessions.

Maria and Zack lived two doors down in the same new building that had gone up in the South end of Terminal City three months ago, and in addition to the joys of baby Jillian (she was a cute butterball even if she could make things levitate), they had chosen to adopt little Michael. Alec wasn't sure about that kid- he was a little weird with his penetrating stare and the way he guarded the building during the day like it was his last stand on Earth- but somehow he fit right in to the Maria-Zack family unit.

Everyone else- OC, Sketchy, Joshua, Krit, Syl, Mole, etc- had scattered to all corners of the city, but somehow, Liz acted like a magnet. Getting her alone had been damned near impossible for the last six months…until her heat hit. And Alec had to admit, the girl was hot. He still got a goofy, perverse grin on his face thinking of the night Liz had come into the TC bar and slammed back a few tequila shots before promptly grinding on him by the pool table while he hustled a couple of Ordinaries who had come into the city for a little action. That night he and Liz had steamed up the windows in their apartment and broke the sound barrier.

Life had settled down in a way. Almost made things seem normal.

A bullet whizzed past his head as he ducked and rolled behind a tower of crates and pulley ropes near the back door leading out onto the maid road in uptown Seattle. Glass shattered in the din and Alec did a kneeling spin kick, his foot coming to rest in someone's grip- the someone who had come through the back window ten feet behind him.

"Cool your shit, Alec. I got this," whispered back that annoyingly cocky voice. Redo, a new X6 that had joined up with the Terminal City transgenics a couple months after the laws protecting them went into affect, had been an obnoxious thorn in his side. The kid was maybe nineteen and a self-proclaimed ladies man- and a big pain in the ass. He stood short at five ten, and had a pretty boy-band look to his face, with shoulder length blood hair that made Alec wish for a pair of scissors. He couldn't shake the feeling, but he felt like he knew the kid somehow.

"You got what munchkin? There are six sharp shooters and a psycho strapped to the nines with bombs. We have three of our best here, not to mention me. Why don't you take a walk and let the big boys take care of it," Alec taunted and he had to duck as a dagger flew end over end between the crates and imbedded itself in the far wall.

"And miss the fun? What kind of X do you think I am?" Redo said with a mocking smile, his brows lifting playfully. "So is Liz here?"

And that was another thing. Redo had this thing for Liz and Alec swore to whoever was listening, that he was going to castrate the kid and feed him the leftovers if he looked at Liz's ass one more time. Just one, Alec thought viciously.

A bright light shot up in the middle of the warehouse and Alec knew it was time to move. Grabbing Redo by the back of his shirt collar, he dragged him out from behind their cover and shot off a round directly facing two armed men. They went down with the dull thud associated with falling bodies, and the beast inside purred, even as he ignored Redo's protests about manhandling him.

Liz stood near the light-port, sweat shining off her face, eyes blacked out from the pupil, and gun trained. She had the guy wired with enough C4 to take out a city block in one hand and her gun in the other pressing coolly against his temple.

"Liz, babe, what'd I say about doing the heavy lifting?" Redo shouted and Alec jerked his collar until he made a chocking noise. He didn't know why he had to put up with this kid.

"Be a good boy and get in the light," Alec told him, shoving him face first into the stream of teleportation, watching with satisfaction as Redo fell and was promptly suctioned away.

"Jealous?" Liz teased him and Alec turned to face her. She had let her hair grow out in the last few months and she even wore dresses from time to time (though the first time she did he had teased her to the point she'd nailed his palm to the TC bar top with a short sword).

"Have you seen you? Hell yeah, I'm jealous. How many more of our guys are here?"

"Two, but they're being held hostage. You take care of them and I'll deal with this. He's two minutes to blowing and I still have to find a pair of pliers," Liz responded and Alec reached into his back pocket and waved a pair of pliers in her direction before walking to her and slipping them in her front pocket with a kiss on the cheek.

"Be careful. I know we're going to visit your friends from "up north" next month, but I'd rather take a spaceship," Alec whispered in her ear, watching that sexy smile of hers spread across her face.

"Just go," Liz told him with a roll of her eyes. Alec looked at the guy she was holding, a nerdy scientist who'd tipped off a few rebels with transgenic issues to their little visit and was now stuck in the awkward position of being a human sacrifice for a group of fanatics.

Finding cover again, Alec closed his eyes and listened. He heard each heartbeat in the room and found who he was looking for. Opening his eyes, he pulled a handgun from his waistband and a hand blade from his boot; he carefully moved around one tower of boxes to another. Slowly he approached them listening to the sound of their hearts and once he was close enough he heard them breathing.

Taking a cautious peek around the right side of the boxes to his left, he spotted two unconscious men and two wearing all black with ski masks to cover their faces. Pulling his arm back, Alec hefted the weight of the dagger and after a brief pause, he let it fly. It whistled through the air and went through the masked-man on the left's sternum. He waited for the panic to set in and when the masked-man left standing turned with his AK-47 to shoot the unconscious men on the floor, Alec took aim and without a pause triggered the handgun- two quick, successive shots to the lower spine.

He heard Liz shout the all clear as he hefted the unconscious men and staggered back to the middle of the room where Liz stood waiting for him. The scientist she's disarmed slumped unconscious at her feet.

"Damn it, Liz, I can't carry all three of them," Alec said as he puffed out a breath and dropped his load.

She flipped her hair over her shoulder and pulled out a hair band from her pocket, tying back her hair, and then grabbed her charge by the wrist and tugged him into the light-port, sticking her tongue out at Alec once inside the beam before she disappeared. Sighing, Alec knew she was going to tease him about this whole thing later, and he reloaded his arms with the dead weight of their allies before following.

They appeared in some back alley on the outer area of the Seattle outside Terminal City. Liz was handing off her scientist to Redo- who smugly winked at him before pecking Liz on the cheek with a "you're welcome."

"So not necessary," Alec murmured and Liz, who had overheard him, rolled her eyes and offered to take one of the men he was carrying. "I can handle it."

"Oh don't get all upset. The scientist touched my ass, he's lucky all I did was knock him out," Liz replied. She petted his hair and smoothed a hand down the back of his neck and gave him one of her sweet smiles.

Redo came back a moment later and Alec practically threw his load at the kid, "Here. Make yourself useful, Squirt."

"Sure thing, Dick," said Redo and Alec sneered at him while Liz laughed.

Linking her arm through his, Liz pulled him toward the main roads and Alec let her.

"He's just got hero envy. You should be nicer," Liz told him and Alec gritted his teeth.

"He's got he hots for my honey. I'll cut him some slack when he learns to control the wondering eyes," Alec said and he pulled Liz to a stop at the street corner of the busy intersection. A news stand stood behind them and he paused to peruse the Seattle Times. A picture of Max and Sandeman shaking hands with the President of the United States on the cover.

"Don't be jealous cause your honey only has the hots for you," Liz said back and she picked up the National Inquirer and flashed it at him. There was a picture of a flying saucer on the front page and the title "Are Aliens Among Us too?"

"King Max sure knows how to make an impression on the media," Alec retorted. A lot had changed in America, a lot had changed in the world thanks to them. King Max- or King Asshole as Alec so fondly referred to him- was even now preparing for intergalactic peace talks. Alec wasn't sure what the future would bring but when he was with Liz, that all seemed unimportant.

Tugging Liz up to his lips for a long wet kiss. When they separated, Liz smiled another sexy smile at him and his gut turned and his insides started to heat up.

"So what does a girl who saved the world have to say to her fiance?" Alec asked, letting his own smile start to appear.

"I love you," Liz stated and he felt a flash of arousal when she grabbed his ass in two cupping hands.

"Short and sweet, just like you," Alec teased, his grin full blown.

Her face flushed red and Alec had come to love Liz for it- those moments when he got her riled up and the fight inside of her reddened her cheeks, putting that extra fire in her eyes. Everyday he came to love something more about her.

"I'm not short." He chuckled,.

"Next to me you're pint sized," he told her. He waited for it and when she drew back a hand to smack him, he grabbed her wrist and twisted her around, drawing her back into his chest with a peck to the top of her head. "And I love you too."

"Well okay then," Liz said, tilting her head back against his chest and staring up at him. "Now take me home and show me just how much."

And without a backward glance, knowing that all he needed in the world was in his arms, he did just that.

The End

Author's Note: I have received a lot of amazing feedback for this story and I have every review I was able to save before pruning and after. Your words of encouragement,funny comments, and supportive feedback have given me a lot to remember this story by. I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did and I look forward to your response. Until next time, Egyptian_Kiss!