Another Life III(HLDR,XO,CC,Mature)COMPLETE 10/20/09

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Another Life III(HLDR,XO,CC,Mature) Part 9 10/7/09

Post by thumper1942 »

Another Life III Part 11

Captain Williams decided that he needed to get drunk. Or at the very least have a few stiff ones. How was he going to write up his report? After the fight and the lightning or whatever it was, the Queen had quietly walked up to where he and some of his men were in concealment and asked to speak to him. He felt a little put out that she apparently had known exactly where they were the entire time. She then told him that he needed to speak to Joe Dawson before he wrote his report. And then brought him over.

Liz had known the SAS would be nearby and knew also that they would write up a report of some kind on the events of that afternoon. It was not hard to figure out where they were—and after the quickening had finished with Duncan, she walked over to Joe and told him about the SAS. He shook his head and said that was a problem—she told him that she would talk to them, and that after that, he needed to let the Captain in on Immortals. Joe looked at her in shock—she pointed out that their reports are as highly classified as any in the world, and what choice did they really have? Either tell them or have them speculating on what really happened. This way, it would buy them some time, and with the amount of influence the Watcher’s had, it might be enough to get this quietly filed away somewhere. Joe thought about that and had to admit that she had a point. He muttered that for a secret society, the Watchers were getting pretty open. Liz tweaked him by pointing out that the Watchers had in fact been very lucky for a long time, and they had to expect this sooner or later. And Joe had to admit that she had another point.

Captain Williams decided that his report would go straight to the PM and bypass all other officials—which technically he could probably do, but it would be really annoying to the SAS brass. But this report had things in it that had world wide—frankly galaxy wide—implications. Immortals on earth. And the Queen of Antar was one of them. Joe had told the Captain most of the story—and had then stressed that the report needed to go to the PM and no one else. And the Captain had to agree with that.

After they got back to the Inn, Liz filled in Max on what happened. He wanted to get in touch with the PM right away, but Liz told him that the report would not go in for a few days, and they needed the vacation. Wilson’s body was quietly buried by the SAS team who frankly felt that they really did not want to know anyway.

Liz then went to Duncan and suggested that since things were kind of shaking loose that they might as well go the whole hog, get Connor over here, and let Rachel in on the secret. Duncan was not so sure, but Amanda was—she felt that Rachel deserved to know in any event, and that from her reading of the young woman, she was not going to let Connor walk away even if he felt he should. Duncan asked Joe and Rebecca for their input, and Rebecca agreed with Amanda; Joe felt that Rachel was someone who was going to find out sooner or later. Duncan bowed to the inevitable and called up Connor.

Connor was a little puzzled by the phone call from Duncan—he wanted Connor to catch the next plane out to the Highlands. Duncan was quick to reassure him that nothing was wrong—but that events had taken place that would probably lead to Rachel knowing about Immortals anyway, and he should be here for that. When pressed for details, Duncan merely said that he had had to take a head, and while Rachel had not seen, it she would probably find out about it fairly soon. Connor was a little uncertain about whether he wanted to pull Rachel into the Immortal world, but since it looked like it would happen anyway, he wanted to be there. He had finally been able to admit—after Rachael had prodded him some—that Rachel McLeod had gotten under his skin—and it had been a very long time since that had happened. And now with the possibility of having children—he knew that that temptation was one he would have a very hard time indeed walking away from.

The PM got the report two days after it happened—when told it was eyes only for him, he knew something had happened and thought it had alien ramifications; he was stunned by what he read. And even more stunned when a representative of the Royal Family told him that the Queen needed to talk to him. She informed him that the ruler of the British Empire usually had known about Immortals for several hundred years and that it was the most closely held secret that the Royal Family had. And not all Kings and Queens were told—Mad King George had not been told, but the Prince had; one senior member of the Royal Family would know if it was decided that the ruler should not be told. And then the PM was told about the Watchers. After all this, he felt the need for a really strong drink.

Liz and the others were glad that the rest of their visit was quiet in comparison. Connor arrived the next day, and after a long talk with Duncan and the others, decided to tell Rachel everything. Connor’s watcher was able to arrive just after him and was taken aside by Joe and informed of what was going on. Connor’s watcher had been with him for almost 20 years and was glad to see him coming out of his shell. Though the whole alien theme still had him off balance. Joe told him not to worry too much about the alien part; that was actually simple compared to Immortal problems.

Rachel McLeod stood at her window on the top floor of the inn and contemplated what Connor McLeod had told and shown her that afternoon. Immortals. Aliens she could just barely accept, but Immortals really threw her. She knew that she had fallen in love with Connor the day she got back to the INN and realized that none of that meant anywhere near what it had before her trip. She had always known that she wanted children badly and the fact that now there was a way for Immortals to have children comforted her greatly. But it was still a lot to wrap her mind around.

Liz, Amanda and Rebecca had discussed what they would tell Rachel (they knew without a doubt that Rachel would want to know more than Connor told her); as usual, it seemed Liz got the short straw. She went up to Rachel’s room about an hour after Connor had brought her back from showing and telling.

Rachel turned to look at the door as someone knocked on it. While part of her wanted to be alone, another part did not want to be alone with the thoughts she now had in her head. She told whoever it was to come in and was a little surprised to see that it was Liz (who had made it quite clear that she was just Liz and nothing else).

Liz came in the room and assessed Rachel. She figured that Rachel was just beginning to believe what was happening and would probably need someone to talk to.

“I take it that Immortals and such are not what you really expected, even though from what Duncan said, you had an inkling anyway.”

“I thought I did. But now I think I was not really a believer. Not like I am now—or at least trying to be.”

Liz nodded to herself—pretty much what she had thought. Well time to show her that she is not alone.

Rachel blinked. The Queen of Antar was an Immortal?

Liz recognized that look on Rachel’s face. She then looked over at a desk and saw a letter opener. She walked over to it, picked it up to show Rachel, then cut her arm.

Rachel watched the blue sparks wind around the wound and close it and heal it without a scar. While Connor had told her, he had not demonstrated it. Seeing it is not like being told about it.

“That was just to show you that it’s not a gigantic hoax. Now I am here to answer any questions that you might have. You will get a lot more information out of me then you will get from either Duncan or Connor.”

“Just for the Record, Amanda and I are Immortals as well. She is over 1000 years old. I am just a little over 20, but have been immortal since my shooting four years ago. Since I was on Antar for a while I have aged a year or so—actually probably about 2 years total—which I have no problem with, since being stuck at age 16 was not something I really wanted.”

Rachel just looked at her—she did manage to keep her mouth from gaping open.

“I was shot—I think you have heard the public story—what you do not know was that I died at the hospital, but due to an airhead nurse not hooking up monitors correctly, no one knew. Which was a good thing in those circumstances. Immortals can sense other pre-immortals if they are old enough and are close enough. Duncan just happened to be in Roswell and just happened to pass by close enough to catch my pre-immortal buzz as I passed him in the ambulance going to the hospital. Now, one would have to think that that kind of multiple coincidences are hard to swallow—and I agree. Duncan NEVER had any interest in aliens, New Mexico, Roswell, etc. Yet, he just happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time. It’s like how Immortals come about—there are no mothers or fathers; we just appear as newborn babies out of the blue. Now the Granolith has figured out how to duplicate the energy of the Quickening—but look how advanced it had to be to do that, and it admitted that it was not easy even for it. So frankly, someone or something has been up to tricks for thousands of years. The fact that the Granolith, a machine, can duplicate the energy kind of takes us away from the Idea that God has something to do with this—or if He does, he is using contractors. My personal opinion is that a higher being, not necessarily God, had arranged this somehow. Using energy and powers that we only recently have hints of. Purpose: who knows? I would like to believe that there was a good reason, but this whole game part—the Prize Part anyway—argues more for someone who was bored and decided to play with so called lower beings. Starts things off and sets up a mechanism to keep it up, then sits back and laughs as we screw it up. Immortals could have done so much for mankind over the millennia, yet instead, we concentrate on cutting off each other’s heads. Add to all that the fact that I just happen to fall in love and he with me an exiled king of another planet who did not even know he was a king—and do not get me started on all the strange happenings THERE—and now they have to come to earth because of a Rogue Dwarf Star—and even the experts on Antar are totally puzzled on how THAT happened—and more and more you get the idea we are playing in someone else’s sandbox.”

Rachel sat down. And stared at her. “Wow. This is a lot to get my brain around. But you certainly make a good argument that we are being played. That list of coincidences has to be so far out of the odds that billions or trillions to one probably does not even come close. I have always believed that there is more out there then we can see, feel and touch. That there is more than us—much more. All that I have found out just recently just screams it now. I also know that I cannot hide my head in the sand and not be part of it. I want to be with Connor, and hopefully he wants to be with me. And whatever I have to do to make it work, I will do.”

Liz nodded. “From all that Duncan has said about Connor, he has not allowed himself to get involved for a very long time. The fact that he has made the steps he has taken so far is huge. So he is very interested but fears loss and that you might get hurt. That is a tough one to beat, but you just have to be persistent. Don’t give up, don’t get discouraged; show him you are in for the long haul and that is that. Now that children is possible for Immortals, you also have that to look forward to—and it’s very important to Connor as well. So one of his reasons for walking away is gone. Don’t let him find any more.”

“I won’t. As a matter of fact, I am going to find him and attack him right now. Hopefully we will be indisposed for some time.”

Liz grinned. “Now that is a plan.”

Connor was standing by the Highlander statue. Musing on the strange happenings of the last few months. He felt someone coming up and turned to see Rachel coming towards him with a very determined look on her face. He was still uncertain—not of his feelings, but of the possible results.

“Ok, Connor, I just had a nice long talk with Liz. There is a place I want to show you, just down an old trail. It’s part of yours and my history. And hopefully a part of our future.”

Duncan watched Rachel lead his cousin down an old path that he knew about from his last visit. There was an old cabin, very old, that Rachel had kept up as original but told very few about. He had a hunch they would not see the two of them for quite a while, and that made him happy. He badly wanted his cousin to have what he had. He felt an arm come around his waist, and he pulled Amanda in closer. She could just barely see Rachel and Connor going down the path.

“Good for her. Liz told me that she had decided to take the first big step. Because we all know Connor would not.”

“Now Amanda, he has very good reasons for being cautious.”

“Bullcrap.”

Duncan looked at her.

“Head in the sand and hope it goes away is no way to live. Connor is about to find out differently. This is a good thing. And from someone who up to a few years ago was about as self absorbed as possible, you better remember that.”

“That was a façade, Amanda. I have always known that. Many are fooled, but not me.”

“When you were young and stupid, you were.”

“We are all young and stupid at one time or another.”

“Watch out, Duncan; you are starting to sound like Darius.”

“I could do much worse.”

“If you try and become a Monk, I am outta here.”

“If you have nothing else to do, I think I can persuade you that THAT is not very likely.”

“So far, all I hear is talk, Highlander.”
thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Post by thumper1942 »

Another Life III Part 12

Connor and Rachel did not come back until the next morning and were greeted by a fair number of smirks and innuendo. Connor just gave them a blank look while Rachel had a smile that would have taken a hammer and chisel to remove. Joe had gotten a call back from the Watchers that the PM had been briefed in, and that so far, it looked like that report would get filed and forgotten. And Captain Williams and two of his team had expressed interest in becoming watchers.

Duncan and Connor had a long talk and then went to Liz and Max. Connor wanted to come to Antar for as long as was needed to be able to have children. Rachel had already spoken to Liz about it, but Connor was a little more formal then Duncan. Liz of course was overjoyed and quite happy to have more friends on Antar. Rachel then began to make arrangements for another cousin to run the Inn while she was gone. She told Liz that she and Connor had not yet figured out where they would settle down. He liked NY but was quite willing to come back to the Highlands. Rachel felt that they could compromise and maybe stay half the year in each place. Liz felt that that was a great idea, and more than likely down the road, they would end up in one or the other.

When it was time to leave, Duncan and his group left for the airport while Max, Liz, the children, Connor and Rachel got transported to Antar via the Granolith. Rachel settled in right away helping with the children and working on the settlements. Connor found that his expertise in antiques came in handy since it had been decided that the most valuable objects on Antar would be transported to Crevar where they would be stored until a new planet was found. Max had Connor be the impartial judge when the committee appointed to pick what would be saved from what would be left to be destroyed could not agree. Connor was somewhat surprised how polite even the heated arguments stayed.

Time seemed to fly by as the preparations on Earth, Granular and Antar moved ahead. The settlements had been established in a total of 87 countries. Far more than originally hoped or planned, but that was how it worked out. 52 countries had just one; 11 had 2; 6 had 3; 4 had 4; 3 had 5; 2 had 6; 1 had 8, 1 had 9; 1 had 10; 1 had 11; 1 had 12; The US had 30; Russia had 30; Canada had 55 and Australia had 100 (Granular). The fact that this had only taken a little over 6 months astounded just about everyone. With the settlement positions established, preparation began immediately. Mostly, it was clearing land and leveling ground; more would have to wait until the first ships arrived from Antar. They were due in another 5 months. They would bring the first parts of the power plants that would be required. The schedule had been moved up as ships were being built faster then had originally been planned. It was now thought that the necessary 120 ships would be finished a full 4 months earlier than had been hoped. And there was some thought that that schedule would be improved upon if some changes worked out as hoped. This extra ability allowed Max to start moving equipment earlier then had been scheduled. The initial settlements would be started in Australia and Canada, then the poorest and most needy countries would come next. It was thought that that would help those countries as soon as possible. Countries like Mongolia and Chad and Somalia badly needed all the help they could get. With virtually free power that had no pollution worth mentioning, it was a good bet that those countries would finally start to develop.

There was approximately 25 months to go before Granular and Antar would be destroyed; the uncertainty of just when it would happen depended on what kind of velocity was going to be imparted upon the Rogue Dwarf by the Pegasus star itself. No one had any real idea, and so the actual date would probably vary about a week or so. Due to the projected path, it really did not make much difference—the Rogue would be moving right down the line of the two planets orbit around Pegasus, so a week made no difference at all.

Liz had been surprised a little when Grace had told her that she and Methos had decided to have another child. The way Methos was about losing his Quickening once, Liz had thought he would not do it again. Still, she was very happy, and with Grace around, Liz found time to once again get into Microbiology and the like. Extensive research was going into finding out what the difference Earth would make on Antarians and Granularians who would be staying for years. While the Granolith felt very confident that it had already identified all the energy and biological differences, Liz was not so sure and wanted to look at it all in a little more detail. The Scout ships had been unable to come up with any other viable planets and it looked like there was little hope of finding one anytime soon. Max directed them to now start looking farther away and in previously uncharted and unknown systems, more with an eye for a permanent home in the future. It was out there—they just had to find it.

Things had finally settled down as much as it ever was on Earth as regards to the coming migration. With many countries now eager for the benefits of alien migration, that particular problem was long gone; now it was the hard work of finding ways to compromise and fit in totally different systems and cultures that would be right next to each other. In the US, the settlements would be in Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. And indeed one would be near Roswell. Max had decreed that that would be the temporary capital of Antar. Lord Lanar had decreed that the first settlement of Katherine, Australia would be the Granular temporary capital.

By the first year mark, ground had been broken on all the settlements, and the first ships had reached Earth. Due to the dangers of the interstellar drive, the engine rooms of the ships would stay in orbit while the rest of the ship, using backup power and anti gravity drive, was to land on the ground. That still made an impressive site as the part of the ship that landed was still over 600 feet long and 400 feet in diameter. 10 ships made the first trip a full 5 months earlier then hoped. 10 more would be following in 4 months; then the big move 4 months later when 20 would come. By the time that group appeared, all the power plant equipment would be in place in all the settlements. The first full-time refugees would come in the fourth group of 40 ships. It had been decided that trying to move everyone at the end was not a great idea, and the migration would begin a full year earlier. The fifth group of 40 ships would bring a full one third of the population. That would leave the last group of ships making their third run to bring everyone else. It was now thought that the evacuation would be complete a full 3 months before the worlds were destroyed.

The settlements were very similar: using advanced materials and technology, 300 foot high buildings each capable of holding 5000 people were put up very quickly. Each covered the equivalent of 4 city blocks and 200 of them only took up half of the available ground. The support and service facilities covered the rest of the ground. Each settlement was totally self-sufficient as regards power. Advanced evaporators and desalinators for those near salt water furnished the necessary water. Enough food would be brought to last a full year; already some crops were being planted in the areas around the settlements. As was planed for the first year, there would be no draw on Earth’s resources.

The areas around the settlements were quickly becoming boom towns. With free power and advanced technology readily available, expenses for businesses were very low. Manufacturing plants were going up already. Max had decreed that when possible, the poorest areas would have their settlements given priority. Chad, Somalia, and Haiti were some of the earliest ones built. Even before completion, it was seen that the settlements were helping the poorest of the poor. Free advanced healthcare, immensely improved sanitary conditions, clean water, and sewage treatment plants all contributed to a much more healthy local population. With the work on the local soil to improve crop yields, food would soon become relatively plentiful and cheap. Areas that had no industry or jobs began to get them; the local economies prospered.

With 18 months to go, the first large waves of refugees arrived. Most of the world watched the huge ships move into orbit, and the forward areas separate from the drive section. Then slowly and with great dignity, the huge parts left slowly landed on earth. Thousands of pods were removed from the ships and placed in temporary buildings for the people to be removed. Then the empty pods were reloaded on the sections that were then sent back to orbit to rendezvous with the drive sections. Then the huge ships left for their next trip. Almost 40 million came on the first section. The next section would come in 6 months and have 80 million. The third wave would be the biggest as all but the last ships would be involved and that would have 160 million on it. The last group would have 120 million. It had been decided to keep building the ships since the needed 120 had been build much more quickly then even the earlier estimates had expected. A total of 200 ships would be built. That allowed a lot more food and raw materials to be brought from the two planets and the asteroid belts in the Pegasus system. And in the future, when they finally found the new planet, that would make it easier to move again. And in the meantime, they would be available for interstellar trade which was starting to look quite profitable.

Keeping this whole vast enterprise running smoothly was an immense undertaking. The initial board had delegated to supervisors; who then had to delegate downwards, and so on. A fairly big bureaucracy had inevitably come into being despite the best efforts by many to keep it as small as possible. The one good thing about the worlds ending is that the bureaucracy could not become entrenched. Max had made sure that once everyone left the two planets, most of the paper pushers would have to do something else. Michael had a few creative suggestions, as did Kyle.

Liz had inevitably found herself the chief counselor and mediator as regards keeping friction to a minimum between all concerned parties. Max was tied up just keeping everything in motion, and while all the group were heavily involved, so much of it seemed to need the official Royal Touch to keep small problems from growing into major concerns. So she found herself shuttling back and forth from Antar to Earth and all around both planets. At the 18-month date, Maria put her foot down and confronted both Max and Liz.

“All right, you two, it’s time for another vacation. In case you have not noticed, it’s been about 8 months since your last one, and that one was interrupted. You need to take time off, and rest and recuperate, and get to know your kids better. I have already talked to the others and the President and Prime Ministers, and they all agree, and if you say no now, we’ll be raising hell tomorrow. So get your tails out of here somewhere in the next 48 hours, and take a week off. Everything is going pretty smoothly right now, and any little petty squabbles can be handled by someone else.”

Max and Liz looked at each other and reluctantly agreed. Maria was right—they badly needed some time off. Liz leaned back and thought. Rachel had just told Liz the day before that she was pregnant and that Connor was over the moon. Spending time with their family and friends looked really good right now. Grace was also pregnant, due in 4 months. Richie and Courtney were also expecting their next one. So it was decided to arrange for the Inn to be vacant and for all of them to head there for a week. One interesting development was in regards to Cassandra; she had met Constantine, and they had clicked. Duncan was of the opinion that they were quite well matched. Cassandra had talked to Duncan who had in turn talked to Liz, and she had arranged for them to stay on Antar for the needed time to remove their quickening. And of course, both of them became involved in the relocation proceedings. Constantine had a natural command nature, and Cassandra had the knack of figuring out why people acted the way they did, and was very good at nipping things in the bud. Max was happy for all the help he could get.

The British Prime Minister got the word that the Antarian Royals and their immortal friends would be in the Scottish Highlands for a week. He promptly pulled back the SAS detachment that had gone with Max and Liz and had it doubled. And ordered both MI5 and MI6 to monitor things at a distance. He really wanted this vacation to be completely quiet; unlike the last one.

Duncan looked up at the statue of the Highlander and shook his head. Methos was still giving him a hard time about it. Connor was of the opinion that if it was one of Duncan, then the so called artist had to have been drunk at the time.

Rachel walked up beside him and nudged him. Duncan looked at her.

“Now, just ignore that piece of rock. It’s not a very good likeness, I agree, but it’s the thought that counted. You are the Highlander, and that’s that.”

“I just hope it never gets around about us. It’s damn embarrassing as it is.”

“Go on with you. Take it like a Highlander.” And of course she burst into laughter at that.

Duncan groaned and looked at Connor. “For someone who said he would never allow a woman to run his life, I notice Rachel has you on a short leash.”

Connor smiled. A warm and content smile that Duncan had never seen on his cousin’s face until just recently. “I said a great many foolish things when I was young and stupid.”

Methos and a very pregnant Grace were slowly walking around the grounds of the Inn. They had found out early on that she was carrying twins and was therefore a lot bigger then she had been the previous time at that stage. Grace was very amused by the mother hen that had come out in Methos; as were all the others. Joe and Richie especially had a series of running jokes about it. They considered this a heaven sent opportunity to even many old scores with Methos. A chicken head and a rooster costume kept popping up around Methos, and it did no good to get rid of them as more kept appearing.

Isabel was expecting another child about the same time as Grace was; and Tess had just told everyone that she was expecting again as well. Maria flat out said that two was enough for them and Michael was in total agreement. Liz was a little wistful, but knew another child was NOT something they really needed to deal with right now; but she was determined to have another one sometime in the future. Cynthia had just had her second child, and Charlie was positively gooey over their young daughter. Duncan got a great deal of amusement out of that.

With the reinforced SAS detachment close at hand and the other services nearby, it had been tacitly agreed that no one was going to be allowed up the hill anywhere near the Inn. The SAS detachment particularly wanted no strangers to come by; the other detachments were a little puzzled by the vehemence they got about that. They got no satisfaction about the reasons why.

Liz had had barely the time to practice her KATA recently let alone spar, so she and Amanda got right down to it the first day at the inn. After getting skewered twice and dumped on her tail three times, Liz got mad and started to do better. Whereupon which Amanda then got Connor to spar with her. That was fun for the other immortals to watch since Connor had never spared with a woman and had never had to really fight one either. His natural gallantry, while not as apparent as Duncan’s, was just as strong, and he found himself quickly on the defensive from a warmed up and determined Liz.

The Newbies on the SAS detachment had been quietly filled in on things, but the looks on their faces as the Immortals spared was priceless to the old hands. Methos and Duncan were going at it pretty well, and Liz was giving Connor fits with her quickness and sneaky moves. Amanda sat back and critiqued everyone to her great enjoyment.

Maria stopped by and watched it for a minute.

“It’s just not a normal day without blood, guts, swordplay and snarky comments.”

A puffing Liz finally put down her sword and got a salute from Connor. “Aye Lass, you do quite well.”

She looked at Maria. “Can’t let a day go by without a little evisceration and amputation.”
thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Post by thumper1942 »

Another Life III Part 13

Liz found that the time at the Inn was just what she needed. She had not realized how tight she had been wound until she was able to relax and take stock. She knew that Max had probably needed it even more then she did—he had a tendency to take the world on his shoulders. They both needed time together and with their children to remember why they did what they did. Being with their family and friends—and Liz pretty much felt that that was interchangeable—was the best possible vacation.

The Captain of the scout ship looked at his science officer. “Another one?”

“Yes sir. The atmosphere has too much ozone and methane for us to withstand. Add to that it’s a very dry planet and realistically even transforming it would be a huge undertaking. We would have to chase down comets with a tremendous amount of ice and have them diverted to hit the planet. The consequences to its stability after several of those hit could be extreme. It’s possible it would hold together and then we could plant various species that over time would change the atmosphere to one we could live in. But that would take decades.”

The captain sighed and shook his head. This planet from a long range scan had looked promising; the first one they had come across in their new mission to find a planet for Antarians and Granularians to settle on. The other two scout ships had been checking out systems in the next quadrant; they had reported back that no planets had been found that were habitable. The Captain knew that they would find a planet sooner or later; but they had hoped to find one sooner. The number of planets of the class they were looking for was limited; it had to be close enough to the local sun to have liquid water; had to have a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere; and had to be uninhabited by sentient species. So far they had found 3 that were at the right range but all three had unacceptable atmospheres. The last one was also too dry. Atmospheres could be changed but it would take decades for plants to do so. He did not like it, but once again, the monthly report to the King would be one that had no good news.

Lord Lanar looked over the latest reports on the preparations for the great migration (as the people here called it). The construction of the ships was going better than anyone had a reason to hope for, and they were almost at the original number of 120 already; it looked like they would be able to get 200 by the time they stopped construction 45 days before the rogue Dwarf Star hit. The schedule had been worked so that the last ship would be completed and ready to leave on that date. King Maxwell had wanted to make sure that everyone had left a minimum of 60 days prior to the destruction of both worlds but had been prevailed upon to take it a little closer to the end. The first large group had already landed on earth and were busy finishing their settlements. The next group was on its way and the third and biggest group was even now starting to get ready to load on board the ships. After that, there would be one more large convoy, and the last would be relatively small and consist basically of all those that had been working on the ships, pods and the like. King Maxwell had made it clear that he and the Royal Family would leave AFTER the last of the people left. They would of course use the Granolith which would then transport itself to Earth. And when there, it would go back to the same cavern it had waited in for the Royal Four to find it. Roswell was already expanding, and the settlement outside of it was more than half done. Lord Lanar had been interested in the way the locals there had adapted to the change in reality; if it had been what Max called a Tourist Trap before, it was well beyond that now.

Sheriff Valenti looked at the latest report and sighed. While he was glad that Kyle and Tess and the rest of them would be back to stay in Roswell in less than 18 months, he was not glad about the consequences of everything else that went with it. Roswell had expanded by almost half in the last year and a half since it had been chosen as the temporary capital of Antar. The settlement outside of town was about 2/3 done or close to it; needless to say, as a tourist attraction, it had few peers anywhere in the world at this time. He had expanded his force by half and would need to expand it again as much to keep the lid on. Luckily, the increased tax revenues and other sources of money had made expanding city services a relatively easy thing. At least from the monetary side anyway. And the new power plant would be going online within the next month, and energy costs would be reduced drastically. But the new schools needed were just now being completed; they had had to bring in trailers for classrooms. And he was frankly of the opinion that they would need to expand again. He saw no end in sight for the continued growth of the town and immediate area, and thought that the city planners were being naïve to think that once the settlement was fully running growth would slow down. He put the report down and decided to go to the Crashdown for lunch. Jeff and Nancy had bought the other building that shared the site and had expanded them into a full restaurant and had still kept the original diner as it was. The Restaurant was called the Station; and of course was wildly popular with the tourists; almost as popular as the original Crashdown. Jeff had had to make it into a reservation only diner to go along with the restaurant—the only way to keep control. Outside of the immediate families of the original group, everyone else had to schedule in advance. Nancy had hoped that that would slow things down, but so far, it had not.

Jeff looked up as the Sheriff came into the Crashdown; the doorman had let him know he was coming. Outside of the few that were family and close friends, hardly anyone else that permanently lived in Roswell came into the diner anymore due to having to use a reservation system to keep it from being mobbed by tourists. Even the Restaurant saw very few locals despite the fact that the food there was very good and reasonably priced. While still alien themed, it was much lower key and more elegant. It was modeled to a certain extent on one of the restaurants on Antar which was also a big reason it was so popular.

“Hi, Sheriff. Your usual, or do you want to be different?”

“The Usual. It’s nice to have something you can count on not changing.”

“I hear that. Well, it will only take a few minutes. So anything new going on?”

“So far, things are going pretty well and no surprises. It’s just that as fast as Roswell is growing, we are going to have growing pains. I keep having to expand my force, and it’s never fun interviewing prospects and having to weed out those that might cause trouble down the line. Especially with the situation as it’s going to be in the next year or so. Finding officers who just want to do their job and not obsess with the alien situation is not easy. Too many are star struck and just want to be here because of that. I want people who I can count on after things start to die down.”

“Sounds about what I have to deal with keeping help here and in the restaurant. So many just want to spend some time here and say they worked here, and then leave. I am lucky I have good cooks since I am going through waitresses really fast. It’s gotten bad enough on occasion that I almost need to ask Liz and Maria to help out when they visit. I actually think they would have fun doing it, but it’s just not right.”

“Can’t have the Queen of Antar and her lady in waiting slinging hash, can we?”

“HEY. We do not serve hash.”

Cynthia was working on Liz’s chronicle as she spared with Amanda again after going up against Connor the previous day. She was interested to note that Liz seemed to be able to shake off her rust pretty fast when she wanted to. Getting her riled just seemed to make her meaner and nastier and sneakier; a good trait to have for an Immortal. Even an Immortal Queen who always had bodyguards around her anymore. After the incident in Canada, the Royal Bodyguards had made it clear that the King and Queen would NOT go unaccompanied again. So the likelihood of her having to accept a challenge was pretty slim. But Cynthia was her watcher, and she was going to make sure that anything that had something to do with Immortals went down in the chronicle. She looked over at the basket next to her and checked on Rebecca; her new daughter was asleep. Her godmother was inside talking to Grace; it had been accepted that all the ones in the group might as well know about the Watchers—Grace had actually been aware of them for quite a while. And of course Methos really had had an in with the watchers for a long time. The Council had NOT been happy about things when they found out who Adam Pierson REALLY was. Cynthia personally thought it was pretty funny that they had had the oldest immortal as a watcher for years before he had just gone to the council and let them know. Of course, Joe Dawson had known for a while, but he had merely said that it was none of his business since he had a full time job as not only Duncan McLeod’s watcher, but as head of the North American section.

Duncan and Connor were sparing, and just about everyone found a reason to watch. Methos was doing his usual snarky best to critique both of them, but even he found little to gripe about. They were very evenly matched; Duncan had the superior Martial Arts expertise, but Connor was taller and stronger, and had taken on just as many top swordsmen over the centuries; and of course, he had been the one to take the Kurgan’s head.

Joe Dawson was doing double duty as both Duncan’s and Connor’s watchers while they were here at the Inn. Watching them spar was a real treat; it was not often that two such masters went at each other.

Word had trickled down to the local village about what was going on at the Inn; sword fighting and the like. Most at the village just shrugged and went on with their business. One person did not.

James Kilgore was a black Irishman in more than one way; he prided himself as a headhunter that never missed a cheap quickening. He had just been wondering through the Highlands when he stopped at the village and heard the gossip. Figuring there was always a chance to get one, he made his way towards the Inn.

The SAS detachment watched the man moving towards the Inn. Major Williams had a bad feeling about him and decided to intercept him. Two of his men were sent to let him know that visitors were not allowed at this time.

James Kilgore knew trouble when he saw it, and figured right away that the two men approaching him were commando’s of some type. So he used the persona that had worked well for him for over 300 years; a feeble minded wanderer.

Major Williams was not happy with his men since they had let the man continue on to the Inn. It did not matter to him that he was simple; he could still be trouble. He ordered two of the men who had been with him before to follow.

Kilgore was quite pleased with himself; that simple minded wanderer had worked well for over 200 years. He walked past the Inn to the field where he had been told there was sparing going on. He could get a good feel for any possible opportunities by watching them.

Connor and Duncan were still going at it—it had been a long time for them, and they found that they were enjoying themselves. Liz and Amanda were taking a rest and watching.

The two men sparing were beyond a doubt masters—James Kilgore took one look at them and knew he wanted no part of that bunch. Now the two women sitting nearby with swords on the other hand; especially the small brunette. Now there was an opportunity.

All 5 of the Immortals in the field felt the buzz at the same time. And turned and looked at him.

It never occurred to Kilgore that challenging one of those present might mean challenges in return from all the others; he had never mingled or got to know any other immortals than the ones he hunted, and the idea that friendship and comradeship would triumph over not taking a chance on losing one’s head was beyond his experience. He pointed at Liz and said, “I challenge You.”

Duncan and Connor both stepped forward. “Only a coward challenges the weak,” said Duncan.

Connor said, “Must be an Irishman; it’s well known a yellow streak miles wide runs down every back.”

Kilgore looked at them. “The Challenge has been made.”

Duncan and Connor smiled—and a chill went down Kilgores neck.

“IF by chance you win, you lose. We will take your head. A coin flip for who gets to do it.”

Liz was ticked off and rapidly getting angry. “OK, brave man, let’s get to it. I want to see you bleed.”

She then advanced towards him quickly.

Kilgore by now had realized that he had stepped into it, but had to raise his sword as Liz attacked.

Liz was more angry then she had ever been. She knew a headhunter by now—and this piece of garbage was probably one of the worst.

Joe had used his cell phone to find out about Kilgore. Turned out his watcher had gotten caught in a traffic jam and had lost him days ago. Joe looked at Duncan. “300 years old and a pure headhunter and proud of it. Not sure just how good he is—he has never fought anyone good.”

Duncan grimly nodded. “He will not fight anyone else again. Liz is mad as hell, and is going to give him the short haircut pretty fast.”

Liz was fully on the attack, using everything she had learned, and also what she had just seen Duncan and Connor do. Cut, slash, stab, she kept it up.

James Kilgore could not believe it—this tiny female was the toughest opponent he had ever faced. Extremely quick and very well trained.

Major Williams was almost as angry as Liz. He could not believe that his men had let that man get that close to the Queen ,and now there was a battle going on. He pulled out his pistol—he was not going to take a chance—Immortal Rules be damned. The moment it looked bad for the queen, he was going to shoot that SOB.

Liz had found a significant chink in Kilgore’s defense; he was not very good parrying left, which was no surprise since most people were right handed. Liz had worked on a move just for someone like that, and she felt now was the time. She feinted right, then a stab, then whirled and slashed left, cutting his leg deeply.

Kilgore tried to move away, his leg was killing him. Liz pressed the advantage, getting closer and closer. Finally up close she stabbed, and as he barely parried it, kicked him right where she had slashed him. He gave a scream of pain and went down. One swing of the sword and his head went rolling.

Major Williams gave a sigh of relief as the Queen beheaded the man. She had never paused in her attack from the first minute, and the result was inevitable. He put away his pistol and looked at his other men. “Get ready for a real Guy Fawkes night, men.”

A blue mist rose from the headless body, and Liz kneeled and put her sword down—she had a feeling this was going to hurt. The first bolt hit her right after and they kept coming. Worse than anything she had ever felt before—this SOB had been the worst one yet, and she saw his victims over the centuries. Then she knew nothing as it hit her full on.

The other Immortals stood back and waited as the Quickening hit Liz. Duncan was a little worried since he knew that Kilgore was pretty bad, and from first-hand knowledge, knew full well what Liz was going through.

Cynthia winced as a bolt literally picked Liz up and tossed her a good 10 feet; then another picked her up just as high and dropped her. Charlie put his arm around her and pulled her close as he watched; he was pretty damned glad he did not have to go through this—the Immortals can have it.

Joe had seen some powerful quickenings, and while this was not on the level of Kalas or the like, it was still up there, and Liz was really going to be put through the mill.

Major Williams was astounded by what he saw; compared to what he had seen last year when Duncan McLeod had taken a head, this was the Premier League. The Queen was being picked up and thrown around by the power of the quickening.

Max had heard the first parts of the quickening and had run out to see who was getting it—shocked that it was Liz. He knew he could do nothing to help, but it hurt so much to see the pain she was going through and not be able to do anything about it. Isabel, Alex, Kyle, Tess, Michael and Maria also felt helpless as they saw their friend get tossed, fried and sautéed.

Rachel had moved close to Connor and he pulled her close. “I never knew it would be like that; Liz talked about it and so did you, but it is not believable until you actually see it. She looks like it hurts like hell.”

“Aye Lass, it does. Especially one from a black hearted bastard like that one was.”

With one last bolt that pretty much spun her then spat her out, the quickening ended. Liz lay there numb and dazed and barely conscious.

Max ran to her as soon as the last bolt died away and picked her up. Her clothes were scorched and torn, and she was dirty from head to toe from being tossed around the field. The glazed look in her eyes told him that she was not all there. He then carried her towards the Inn.

The rest of them slowly followed. The SAS detachment bringing up the rear with the Major still chewing out his men.

“Next time, just shoot the bastard!”

Maria holding Michael’s hand as she followed Max carrying Liz yelled, “And if you dummies don’t, next time I WILL.”
thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Another Life III(HLDR,XO,CC,Mature) Part 13 10/8/09

Post by thumper1942 »

Another Life III Part 14

Liz was still dazed and barely conscious when Max set her down on their bed. He undressed her, then picked her up and sat in the bathtub that he had stated when he brought her in. And he just held her, letting the hot water and warmth seep into her bones.

Liz slowly got back to herself—it felt like she was a long ways off. Kilgore’s victims danced around in her head, one after another. Slowly, she rode the wave of memories and began to push them into the background of her mind. It just took so long—it was so much harder than the other ones.

Duncan had told the rest of them what he had gone through when he had been overwhelmed by a dark quickening—how he had almost taken Richie’s head. And how long it had dominated him. Methos recounted how a White Quickening had changed Darius; Connor described how it had been very hard for him to come to terms with the Kurgan’s quickening—how it had come close to taking over.

Maria was worried. “Just how big a chance is there that this SOB’s quickening will change Liz?”

Methos shrugged. “It’s hard to tell. People react differently. From everything I have seen of Liz, she is very much grounded in herself and in reality. And as bad as Kilgore was, his quickening was nowhere near as strong as the one that took over Duncan. So I do not think it’s a big worry—but at the same time, it’s something we all need to be aware of, and to watch Liz to see that even if she has tamped it down now to make sure that it does not surface later.”

Max just held his love and thought. Enough was enough—Liz was NOT going to accept any more challenges no matter what. Next bastard that tried, he was going to fry him right away no matter what.

Liz blinked and moved a little. Max held her and whispered, “Liz, it’s OK, we are back in our room, and everything is fine. Just relax and rest.”

Liz groaned. She hurt all over. This quickening had been so much stronger and so much darker from Kilgore’s thoughts than the other two had been—and the victims had been much more numerous. She felt them still in the back of her mind. She relaxed back against Max and sighed.

“That was a pretty bad one. He was as nasty a creep as there is around. He enjoyed killing, and he especially enjoyed the fear. I can feel his victims—so many.”

“Enough is enough, Liz. No more. This is just too much for you.”

Liz smiled slightly. As usual Max was over reacting, and over protective. Some things do not change.

“It is what it is, Max. This is my life. Good and bad. My immortality comes at a price, and this is part of it. We have beaten some of it by having children. But some of it you cannot beat or run away from, and this is part of it.”

“You do not have to accept the challenges, Liz. Either Duncan or Connor would have been happy to take that bastard down. You did not have to.”

Liz sighed. Though she had to admit that Max had a point about this last one—she could have declined and let Connor or Duncan take care of it. She knew a marriage is sometimes a compromise—and maybe this was a time to give a little.

“OK, Max. Next time, if there is a choice, I will turn it down if I can.”

Max smiled. He knew how hard it was for Liz to step back and not step up.

“That’s all I am asking Liz—just do not be on the front line if you don’t have to be.” (And I am going to try and make sure that I am around and can fry the SOB first.)

It was a couple of hours later that Max and Liz left their room and went into the main hall where their friends and family were still waiting.

Maria rushed up and hugged Liz. “Chica, how are you? Not having dark thoughts and impulses are you?”

Methos groaned. A great way to start the conversation.

Liz could not resist. After letting Maria go she said in a very husky and strange voice.

“Who is this Chica?”

Maria blanched and backed off. The others looked very worried. Until they saw Max looking at her with a smile and shaking his head.

Maria swatted Liz. “That was mean, Liz, after the stories that Duncan and Methos told us about dark quickenings.”

Liz grinned at her. “Just could not help myself Maria. You were kind of expecting it, and who am I to disappoint?”

The others gathered around her to hug and scold her for her bad sense of humor.

After hugging her, Isabel looked at her hair critically and said, “We HAVE to find a decent hair dresser SOMEWHERE. You look a mess.”

Kyle grinned at her. “You really WANTED this guy’s head, Liz, the way you went after him. So you really cannot complain if it scrambled your brains.”

Tess said, “I am really glad I am not Immortal. I never liked lightning anyway.”

Alex hugged her and said, “Next time, Liz, if there is someone else around, turn it down—this was a scary one.”

Liz smiled back at him, “If you think it looked bad from your point of view, you have no idea what it was like for me. I have already promised Max that I will decline any more challenges if I can.”

Amanda scolded her. “I have spent almost a thousand years avoiding nasty challenges—it’s not that hard to do. LEARN how to do it.”

Duncan told her. “That was as well fought as any I have seen in a while—you did not make a single mistake and never gave him a chance to get his balance back.”

Connor ruffled her hair which earned a glare from both her and Isabel. “Lass, that was well done. Anytime a headhunter goes down, it’s a good thing.”

Rachel came up to her and gave her a big hug. “For all the romance of Immortality, I now have seen the bad side of it. And I can understand Connor and the others a little better. Like all the rest of US, I hope you find a way to say NO from now on.”

Joe, Rebecca, Cynthia all echoed this. Charley was more direct. “Next time, girl, just cut and run. It will be a whole lot better for you and all of us.”

Grace gently hugged her. “Maybe now you can understand why I will never fight. I will not have that happen to me no matter what.”

Methos shook his head. “Now that is the other extreme. There is a somewhat happy medium from being like the Boy Scout and never turning one down and Grace never fighting at all. I have done quite well for several millennia not accepting challenges when I absolutely did not have to. It’s a good SURVIVAL trait to learn.”

Happily, that was the only event to mar the vacation. The rest of the time there was very relaxed in comparison. Which was just what was needed for Max and Liz. They returned to Antar with Connor and Rachel and the other Royals while Duncan and his crew went back to Seacouver. Richie was a little put out that he missed the show, whereupon Amanda smacked him a good one. Then he got it from the other side from Courtney. Duncan smiled and wondered if Richie would ever learn to keep his mouth shut. Methos opinioned that that was like expecting the Rhine to flow backwards.

Cynthia was working on the latest entry to Liz’s Chronicle and asked Joe how detailed she should be as regards the fight. Joe told her that it really was not something that had to be exhaustively explained—just go with the highlights. Joe, in the meanwhile, had temporarily transferred Connor’s watcher to Seacouver to watch Methos. The Council still did not know that Adam Pierson was Methos, and Joe wanted it kept that way. Connor’s watcher was now in the know and would make sure of that.

Back on Antar, Max and the others got back into the business of relocating two worlds. Most of the preparations were already done or about to be, and the system set up was running well. The shipbuilding was at its peak, and so was the pod manufacturing process; while the rest of the preparations moved along. He and Liz would be back on Earth once the second large wave arrived; it was felt that they being there showed that it was a controlled migration and that things were going as well as could be expected. He was disappointed that the scout ships had so far failed to find a suitable planet, but was resigned to it taking a while.

Liz had gone to the Granolith the second day back and had asked it to examine her quickening. The added boost received from Max’s healing had stayed with her; now the last quickening had also beefed up hers.

“Your Majesty, my sensors indicate that your quickening has increased 12%. With the background furnished by your friends the Watchers, I was able to extrapolate the relative strength of James Kilgore’s quickening. The numbers match my estimate of the effects of his quickening on yours.”

Liz was a little puzzled. “When did you get the information on Kilgore’s background.”

“Rachel McLeod furnished me with a disc with the necessary information on Kilgore’s age and his successful quickenings. Also the background on his victims. It was quite complete. With the information I have been gathering from yourself and the other Immortals, I have fabricated a formula that so far has held up as regards age, number of quickening and their strength, and the effects on the winners quickening.”

Liz looked thoughtful. “Do you have readings on all the Immortals you have scanned as regards the relative strength of their quickening?”

“Of course.”

“Compare Duncan’s, Connor’s, and Methos’ quickenings.”

Duncan and Connor are very close as regards strength, Methos has a quickening that is far stronger than either of theirs, of course. It is 10.87 times their relative strength. As a point of reference, your quickening is approx .01% of Methos’ quickening.”

“Your formula—how is it weighted as regards age vs. number and strength of quickening taken?”

“I used you as the starting point since the exact date and number of quickening you have had are known and the strength of the quickenings you have taken were also known due to the full knowledge of their victims. Cynthia was kind enough to give me that data when I asked her for it. The only variable with you was the effect of the Kings healing of you on your initial wounding and later after the incident in Canada. But the formula has variables built into if for such happenings, and it also held up well. Since I was able to scan you both before and after the Canada incident, that was factored in. The relatively slight difference that Max’s initial attempt to heal you made in your quickening helped out.”

“I have been under the impression that Max’s attempt to heal me was a big factor in how fast I woke up and the relative strength of my quickening from the start.”

“All readings and evidence I have had shows that the Kings attempt to heal you had at best a minor effect—he was unable to make a connection, and the energy difference between that and his successful healing of you in Canada is quite large. My conclusion is that you always had a stronger then average quickening even before you were immortal.”

A thoughtful Liz went back to their rooms in the Palace. She made a note to talk to Rachel about who asked her to bring the disc—it had to be Joe since he would also be the only person who would have access to that kind of information. Or it could have been Methos—he had admitted that he had backdoor keys to the Watcher Database. The more she thought about it, the more she thought it was Methos—he had been fascinated that the Granolith had been able to isolate and measure the energy of the quickening. She could see him wanting more information and also being in the possession of knowledge that no one else had. He certainly liked that.

Time seemed to fly by, and soon it was the date that the second large wave would arrive on Earth. Max and Liz were there to greet them as the immense ships moved into orbit and then separated with the cargo part landing on the ground. The first wave had gone to the poorest countries first; this wave spread out so that most of the other countries that had requested settlements were taken care of. The last waves would go mostly to four countries; the US, Canada, Australia and Russia. Already Chad and the Sudan and the other poorest of the poor were starting to see the benefits with increased economic activity and lower disease and death rates. This of course helped ease the last of the suspicions and worry on the part of most; the xenophobes and the like were expected to stay the way they were—as only a tiny fraction of the population, it was felt that ignoring them was the best way to go. Though of course, law enforcement and military intelligence kept an eye on them anyway.

While on Earth, Max and Liz had taken the opportunity to visit Roswell (quietly so as not to set off a sensation). Liz was then able to satisfy her suspicion that it had indeed been Methos who had worked to get the data the Granolith had used. She had had the Granolith print out the full report (and it was pretty long), and once on Earth, she had had Cynthia take it with her when she went back to Seacouver. She knew it would irritate Methos that she had found out about it and was a step in front of him.

Liz sat in the back of the Station with Max in a booth the night before they were to go back to Antar. It was not often they had a chance to be an anonymous couple, and they both enjoyed it. She marveled to Max about the differences the last 2 years had made on Roswell. It had doubled in size and population and was figured to double again in a few years. The settlement outside of town was a huge tourist attraction, and the power plant there was already supplying Roswell and the immediate area with very cheap electricity. The old power plant had been mothballed—it was decided to keep it ready to go just in case. With electricity so cheap now, many homes and businesses were converting to electric heat from oil, gas and propane. Electric cars were starting to come out—another benefit of the Alien influence was the advance in battery technology—instead of hundreds of pounds of batteries that had to be replaced every three to five years at huge cost, now they needed only a single bank about the size of a coffee table and they would last at least 20 years. Added to much more efficient electrical motors, and Detroit and other car makers were scrambling to build them fast enough. Gas engine vehicles were rapidly dropping as a share of new sales, even in places were electricity was still more expensive. For large trucks and long haul shipments and the like, Diesel was still the way to go—but it was felt that in a few more years, more technological breakthroughs would change that as well.
thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Post by thumper1942 »

Another Life III Part 15

With the first large group of Antarians now on Earth, the media had wasted no time in trying for interviews. Max had told them that it was up to them what they wanted to say but cautioned them that anything they said could be subject to twisted and deliberate misinterpretation. That it was better to say little or nothing at all. Most of the Antarians followed that advice, and even the ones that did talk more were very careful about what they said. This of course frustrated the media and made them go after them that much harder. Liz scolded Max for doing that saying that it made things worse. Max defended himself saying that he had no responsibility for making the media happy. Liz pointed out that they really could not afford bad publicity. Max then said if it goes bad, then they go on TV and say the media is deliberately trying to manufacture stories. He pointed out that many surveys showed the public did not exactly trust the media very much anymore and that it would probably be a wash. Liz told him that it was an unnecessary risk.

With the Antarians being very close mouthed, the media then began to demand to go to Antar. Max told them that they were welcome to go back on one of the ships, but that meant they had to be podded. When they then demanded the Granolith take them, he flat out told them that it was for special purposes only, and they used it only when necessary. No media allowed. When more of them clamored to go, Max then went against Liz’s advice and took it to network TV. He made the point that all the Antarians would be on Earth in little over a year or so and sending anyone to Antar made little sense. He then said that he was King of Antar, and his primary responsibility was to his people, not to make any reporters happy, and if they did not like that, then too bad. This went all over the world, and while there were some that claimed he was hiding something, the great majority of people agreed with him and enjoyed the fact that the ALL MIGHTY MEDIA was being told no and they were stuck with it. One person in an on the street interview really skewered the media by saying, “They think they are above all laws everywhere and that no one can say no to them. Well guess what—someone did, and now they are whining. Ask us if we care.” That was so juicy that it got sent everywhere and put on blogs and the like, and more and more people said basically the same thing. Survey after survey and poll after poll showed 80-90% of those asked agreed with that. And the media, suddenly realizing that they had no support, backed off as they were told by owners and publishers and the like that they were threatening the bottom line and enough was enough. One commentator rather sheepishly admitted that the media had earned the dislike and distrust that this incident had uncovered. “We did this to ourselves. We squandered the trust we once had. We were arrogant and refused to admit our mistakes and acted like God. And we have earned the result. Look into the mirror, fellow reporters. We have only ourselves to blame.” And just like that, the badgering and pushing disappeared.

Liz was totally surprised by the result and admitted that she had been wrong. She told Max that she had bought into the theory that the media always wins no matter what. And he had just blown that theory right out of the water. Max was rather proud of himself. Liz then suggested that a picked few reporters be taken by the Granolith for a visit to Antar. Max agreed with that but who to pick. Liz thought that Randi McFarland, Duncan’s media friend from Seacouver should be one. And then a couple of network reporters and a few others from around the world. Max agreed with that, then decided to ask everyone else for their opinions and who should go. Grace had a good idea about the reporters in Europe and suggested one British reporter and an Italian one. Joe suggested one from Japan that had always impressed him. After talking to a few others, they got one from Australia and one from Canada. That totaled 8, and Max said that was enough.

Needless to say, all of those asked jumped at the chance. Randi called up Duncan and thanked him—if this went well, she would probably get a major anchor position out of it. He told her that she had earned it by being honest. One week later, they were sent to Antar. They were given 2 weeks to talk to whoever they wanted to. They then asked for an extra week to go to Granular. Lord Lanar granted that request and had them transported by his own personal ship from Antar. Needless to say, despite all being veteran reporters, they were somewhat overwhelmed. From the transport by the Granolith to the ship taking them to Antar to being transported back covered a lot of what they had to say. They then went on to describe the work on the ships and the pods, and deciding what to take with them and what to preserve on another planet for the future, and how this had affected them.

When the reporters returned and filed their stories and had their time on TV, the overall effect was positive. They had not been able to find many that disagreed with what was going on, and those few were frankly on the lunatic fringe and was shown to be that way. An unexpected and to a certain extent unwelcome part to Max and Liz was the virtual universal approval and love shown to them by everyone, even most of the Granularians. Max rather wryly noted that it seemed also universal that the Queen was more popular then he was. Liz was a little embarrassed about that. Maria thought it was great—and so did most of the others. Liz said it was being exaggerated. Grace told her that it was not—she had indeed done a lot that was very important, and that was what the polls and surveys showed. This pretty much shot down the last of the critics on earth except those that had their own agenda and were just pretty much prejudiced against them for religious or other reasons.

One other not so good result of all this was that Liz got even more publicity and more attention—Maria tweaked her about being the next “Princess Diana.” Liz rather tartly said that she would rather not considering what she had gone through and ended up dead at 36. Kyle got in a shot at Max by pointing out that Prince Charles had cheated on the princess with a real horse face—he would have to look far and hard to find anyone that ugly. Max retorted that he was a lot smarter than that—he had a wonderful and beautiful queen and intended to be a one woman man. Maria told Michael that he should take some lessons from Max on making his girl feel special. Michael’s reply that he had married her hadn’t he was not exactly well thought out. Needless to say, a MOUNT ST. Maria eruption followed.

Maria’s joke about Princess Diana was not exactly out of the question. Liz had gotten a lot of attention before and even more after the media came back from Antar. Isabel, who actually took the media and that kind of attention seriously enough to keep an eye on it, told Liz that she had no one but herself to blame for that. Unlike most so-called famous women, who were famous because of acting or singing or the like, or even being politicians, Liz was someone who never asked for or sought out fame; and that was another reason so many liked her. Liz had just done what she felt needed to be done, and that fact tended to color a lot of the coverage of her. Also as was abundantly clear, she had gone out and got things done and had had great success. Being very successful also tended to add to the amount of publicity someone got. And unlike politicians who sometimes lost, and actors who had bad films, or singers with dud records, Liz had not failed in anything. She had gone from triumph to triumph, and all at a very young age.

The captain of the scout ship was preparing his monthly report to the King. He wondered at the reason why—it was not like they had found anything, and if they had, they would contact the king immediately. The three ships were ranging farther and farther from the Pegasus System in their quest for a new home. So far, they had come up empty. They were due to return to Antar in a few months for resupply and to rest for a while. That would be the last time they would return to Antar. It was beginning to look like it would take a few years to find a suitable world.

Max read the monthly report from the scout ships and sighed. He was still hoping that they would find a suitable world before they all left Antar and Granular. But he realized that it was just that—hope. It now seemed clear that the search could take several years more. Later that day, in their rooms, he told Liz about the once again negative report from the scout ships. She asked him why they needed to make a monthly report—and he surprised her by saying it was more a case of having them checking in then making a report. He knew the moment they found something he would be contacted. This way, they knew the ships were OK and there were no problems. She nodded at that and said, “I should have figured that out myself. It probably will take a few more years at best. They are all due to return to Antar for resupply and some rest before they set out again. And it will take them a while to return to where they are looking. Have we checked with everyone possible to make sure that they are looking in the best place?” Max nodded and said, “Everyone on earth and here, and the granolith as well. Where they are looking now is the most likely place to find a good planet at least somewhere near here.” Liz thought about that. “I think we need to change that to looking for places near Earth now. It’s too late to go anywhere else, and our next move will be from Earth. I think we need to reassess things and send them out next to start looking near Earth, and then go outwards.” Max looked thoughtful. “Hadn’t thought about that, and you are right. I will talk to the space command and the granolith—we need to change things.” Liz shook her head. “No, I will do that—you have enough to do. Besides I want to talk to the Granolith and make sure they are using the right search criteria. With such a narrow range in what we need, we must make sure that we are weeding out the wheat from the chaff as quickly as possible.”

The very next day, Liz went down to the granolith and told it. “We need to talk.” The Granolith hummed and then said. “At your service, Queen Elizabeth.” “I want you to describe the search criteria being used by the scout ships right now, and also to change their search after they come back for rest and resupply. From that point on, they will be searching near Earth and working their way outwards. Since at this late date nothing can be changed about going to Earth, the next move will be from there, and we should try and make it as near to earth as possible.” The Granolith hummed for a while then replied. “Here is the criteria, your majesty.” And then gave it. Liz took it in and thought about it for a while. “Nothing I can see there needs to be changed. So that will stay as it is. I want you working on the best candidates near Earth and then steadily working away from it.” “As you wish, your Majesty.”

It was now one year to go before the destruction of Antar and Granular. One problem that Max frankly had hoped would go away is that a handful of Antarians and Granularians chose to stay and die with their planets. Most were old and did not want to change; some were clearly mentally unbalanced; and some were just stubborn about believing anything was going to happen. The mental cases were the biggest problem; with all their healing powers, some mental illnesses defied any attempt at cures. There were only a few hundred of those cases. Max had asked for advice from his cabinet, and they all agreed that special provisions needed to be made at one of the settlements for them—they could not be left to die. The rest of them had made their decisions and would be allowed to stay. Max made sure that all were told that the last ship would leave 45 days before the destruction, and that after that, they were on their own. He hoped that as the rogue star came into visual sight that some would change their minds—but if they did not, then so be it.

The biggest wave of refugees had arrived on Earth at the 14 month mark; 140 million. This wave filled the last of the settlements outside of the US, Canada, Australia, and Russia. And then filled the US and Russia quotas and added to Australia and Canada. Max had seen to it that the same percentage of Antarians and Granularians were in each movement. The last of the populations would leave at the 3 month mark. Everyone and everything that was going to Earth would leave at that point. The last of the ships would be finished at the 4 month mark, just enough time to load and be gone. It looked like a total of 207 ships would be done. All but 40 ships would be leaving at that time. Those ships would be taking a load of raw materials—the first real trade between the two systems. Already many of the asteroid miners were leaving for Earth to start setting up asteroid mines in the Sol system. It was hoped to have the first mines going within a year of the miners setting up. First bases had to be established. It had been decided after careful thought to put the first ones on Mars. It was always easier to put bases on planets, even those without an appreciable atmosphere. Those would be the main bases, and some initial processing plants would be built there as well. While Mars had a much weaker gravity then earth, it was enough for practical work to be done. Smaller staging bases would be placed as stations at the Asteroid Belt. Some shuttles would be built to move the ore from the belt to Mars, and then from Mars to the ships orbiting Mars that would take it to Earth. Already mining experts had examined the asteroid belt and had identified a number of relatively small ore that could be captured and taken straight to Mars to be broken down to elements that would be sorted and shipped as the priorities dictated.

One other matter that was annoying but had to be handled carefully was all the invitations that the Royals received for various events and ceremonies in many countries on Earth. Max had rather evilly began to pawn these off to Isabel and Tess. Isabel loved it and Alex went along with amazing patience. Kyle on the other hand swore terrible revenge on Max after Tess found she liked it too. But even these had to be carefully replied to since some would take offence that the King and Queen were not coming. Max found that the protocol minister that he thought was not needed came in real handy on these occasions—the man had a great gift for BS and being able to flatter people into not taking offence. It was explained to him that this was the art of diplomacy; Maria on the other hand suggested a symbol of office for the Protocol Minister; a man leaning on the rear end of a bull with a shovel in his hands.

Still there were some important enough for various reasons that Max and Liz had to go. They made a point of visiting each country that had agreed to settlements; and others that were politically important. They averaged one or two a month. One to Russia was a good example: while the Russian president had run roughshod over the opposition, it was still thought to be a good idea for periodic visits. The routine was fairly constant: Max in blue (The Antarian Royal Color) and Liz in a shade of blue depending on what she felt like. She always wore a dress; usually fairly modern with a few exceptions for certain countries. She ALWAYS wore her sword no matter what—besides, it was expected of her, and people always wanted to see it anyway. More than once, she did her KATA in the middle of the room after enough demands were made. She actually like doing that since she could immerse herself and forget about the formality of the occasion and just lose all other thoughts as she did the KATA. On this occasion, a Russian Sword expert wanted to do his while she did hers. That turned out to be a mistake on his part since by the end, all agreed that she did it better. This amused the Russian President immensely and on the spot awarded Liz the order of the Russian Republic—to great acclaim from the audience. Both Max and Liz had a sneaking suspicion that the President had arranged all this to further stomp all over his opposition. Especially since he just happened to have one ready to go. IT was rather big and gaudy and hung around Liz’s neck, and it clashed pretty well with her dress. When they got back to their rooms in the Ritziest Hotel in Moscow, Liz took it off, looked at it, and shook her head. “Talk about a really tacky piece of junk. Have not worn anything that bad since I was last waitressing at the Crashdown.”
thumper1942
Addicted Roswellian

Post by thumper1942 »

OK here is the end of III. Do not know when I will start IV. Lizzybug was able to surface long enough to get the last parts to me- then will probably have to submerge and become a radish again for a while. Good wishes for her!

Another Life III Part 16

Time seemed to accelerate as the date got closer. Everything was going well and that of course made both Max and Liz worry: they were waiting for the other shoe to drop. At the 6 month point, a problem came up: the other two planets in the Pegasus System informed Max that they were not able to produce enough food for their people. This had always been a problem on those two worlds, and they had had a low population as a result—until space flight became inexpensive. Then Granular and Antar started to export their food surplus. Even during the Civil war, Granular was able to take up the slack and maintain the shipments. Ever since the announcement about the Rogue Dwarf Star crash, programs had been started on both planets to increase their food production. Unfortunately, those programs had had only marginal success. Liz then looked at the scouting ships report and pointed out that one of the planets had an atmosphere close to the last two planets did—with a high methane content. Max then pulled one of the scout ships (they had all been back for R&R on Antar) from their looking for a planet to move to, and sent it to that planet to check it out thoroughly. Within a week, it reported that the planet appeared very fertile and should be able to yield a good crop. Max then agreed to assign 4 ships to transport people and equipment and anything else needed to start growing crops. He also agreed to see to it that the planets would receive enough food by buying it from earth to start with, and since it had been already shown that the settlements would all be net food exporters, it would be no problem to grow enough once all the settlements were up and running.

But outside of that, there were no other serious problems. Minor problems had cropped up as regards some of the settlements and the nations they were in. Cultural and religious differences did cause some disputes, but they were settled amicably. The fact that the settlements were already proving to be huge economic advantages ensured that most of the protests and problems were quickly handled.

More pleasant surprises came in the form of Rachel McLeod getting pregnant and having a son. Connor was truly over the moon, and Duncan flat out said he had never seen that much emotion ever from his kinsman. In honor of the mentor who had shaped him, the boy was named Juan. Connor hoped that Ramirez somehow knew. Liz was absolutely gooey over the baby, and Max realized that Liz really wanted more children. He would be happy with more as well but knew they had to wait until after the migration and things had settled down. Working together, the Granolith and Alex had finally come up with a way to block all the energy identified as having the most to do with the Quickening; by using a transmitter to basically white noise that energy, it was calculated that it would take 14-18 months for an immortal to lose his/her quickening. This was longer then on Antar as the Granolith had finally agreed with Liz that there was energy going to the quickening that it had not yet been able to detect and analyze. Its calculation showed that approximately 75% of the energy could be blocked—and that that would ensure the loss of the quickening as on Antar, only slower.

Days started to pass with lightning speed as the time of the last transportation got nearer and nearer. Reports from the new planet being used as a food farm were good—it now looked as if it would supply all that was needed and more. Max announced that 20 of the ships would be left to ensure a good food supply for the remaining planets. That was probably double what was needed, but Max felt that having a good supply of extras was something that was needed when you were talking about something that important.

At the 3 month mark, 60 million more were transported. It had been decided that with the extra ships available there would be two last big migrations. The last of the people would go at the 45 day mark. Max was pleased to notice that there was significantly less media coverage of the second to last movement. That showed that there was less interest and that more people just accepted it and went on with their lives. Most of the settlements were done; only the last 50 or so needed to be finished. It was expected that when the last came from Antar and Granular, their settlements would be done and waiting for them. Max and Liz and the rest of the Royals plus the senior government officials of both planets would leave at the 15 day mark via the Granolith. Once they were transported, then the Granolith would come itself. The Settlement outside of Roswell was done and mostly populated. The new Palace was centered around where the Pods had been, and the resting place for the Granolith was exactly as it was when it left. The full effect of the settlements were just beginning to be felt; the free energy and advanced agricultural and medical technology had already made their mark.

And then it was the day that all but a few were to leave. Max and Liz and Lord Lanar stood watching from their respective palaces as the ships left. Now only those refusing to leave and the royals and the senior government officials were left on both planets. Liz felt weird walking around outside of the palace looking at the deserted city. She and Max made one last effort to convince those staying to leave, but none would. They spent the next 30 days packing and walking around Antar one last time. Both felt sad at what was about to be lost but felt lucky that while they had been comfortable here; it was not like it was really home.

Then the day came for everyone else to leave. Lord Lanar and his remaining people came to Antar on his private ship—it would be loaded aboard one of the transport ships and taken to earth as well. Liz looked up at the sky—you could just barely see the Rogue Dwarf—it was much more visible at night. She and Max had spent their last night sitting up and looking at the stars and especially the Rogue. It was beautiful to see—such a shame it was to cause so much trouble. The group, consisting of the Royals and their children, the Prime Minister and his cabinet, Lord Lanar and his senior officials, stood beside the Granolith. One last look around, and Max quietly said, “Granolith, transport us to earth.” “As you wish, Your Majesty,” the Granolith replied, and they were gone.

They materialized outside of the Crashdown—Liz wanted it this way since this was where it all started. The PM and his cabinet were taken by Limousine to the settlement. Lord Lanar and his people took Limousines to the Airport where the spare Air Force One was waiting to take them to Canada. Max and the rest went into the Crashdown to meet their families. It and the Station were closed that day. A few hours later, Limousines arrived to take them to the settlement and the new Royal Palace. The route was cordoned off by the State Police and National Guard troops. The last quarter mile to the settlement was secured by an honor guard from over 150 nations. Max and Liz were very pleased by this last evidence of how they all had been accepted. Max ordered the Limousine to stop while he and Liz got out and walked the last quarter mile acknowledging the Honor Guards individually. The rest of the convoy went into the settlement. This took almost an hour. They looked very well since Isabel had been the one to buy off on their outfits. Max in his Royal Robes and Liz in her best Ball Gown. He would bow to each honor guard while Liz curtsied, then raised her sword and saluted the Honor Guard. Max had quietly, and to Liz’s great embarrassment, made it a Royal Decree that no one could wear a sword at an official ceremony except those that had proven themselves in battle with one. While Technically Max and Michael could also wear swords, both had made it clear that Liz was the only one that truly deserved the honor. It was not easy for Liz to curtsy and then salute with her sword, but she had steadily practiced for weeks.

There was a grand Ball in the New Royal Palace that night. Dignitaries and celebrities and over 50 heads of state attended. Liz danced with over 30 men and was pretty worn out. Max claimed so was he since he had to dodge all the women wanting to touch a real alien king. They had agreed that this first ball would be open to the general public. Within reason of course. Over 1000 attended. Luckily, the Ball Room was huge. Max had started it off with a short speech on how they were grateful for their new TEMPORARY home and that no one knew how long it would take to find a new world to move to.

After that, what came was, as Maria called it, the “Death Watch”. The Granolith would stay until the last day and then leave so that the world could get a good look. Once it left, they would have to wait for the last ships to arrive that would be leaving at the same time to see any more since there was nothing else that could transmit over that distance at such speed. A few satellites would be there to record the last minutes of the two planets, and they would transmit it to the ships just before they engaged the hyper drive.

Most of the world was watching the last day as the Rogue got closer and closer. Antar would be first, then one day later Granular. As the Granolith lef,t the first effects of the Rogue were beginning to be felt as winds and tides began to go crazy and the planet began to heat up. Its last picture showed the fault lines of the planet begin to come apart as volcanoes and other natural forces began to react. The arrival of the Granolith was something of an anticlimax as it just appeared where it had been for 50 years before. Maria was of the opinion it was probably a good thing that the recent refugees could not see their planets destroyed right now—in 8 months when the last of the ships arrived, they would have settled down, and it would not be such a shock—and those on the ships would be in their settlements when they were woken up, and it would not be so bad since they would be busy settling in themselves.

Liz looked around at their rooms in the New Palace. Even though she had seen the designs and pictures of how it looked, it still took some getting used to. Isabel had shamelessly campaigned to be the interior decorator of the New Palace, and it showed. Definitely flashy and opulent, but Liz could not deny that Isabel had good taste. She wondered how long they would be there, how long would it take to find a new planet. She hoped it would be a few years—she wanted some less stressful times for a while.

The next few weeks were a little hectic as everyone settled in. There was still the last big wave to come, and right after that, the last few ships that left right at the end. Max was determined to have all the settlements done before the last refugees came. So far, there had not been any big problems—just the expected troubles of different cultures living side by side. And so far, the benefits had far outweighed the problems. The huge savings in energy and health care and increasing food production was having a major effect on the poorest countries. Many were climbing out of the abject poverty that, up until a year or so ago, had appeared to be permanent. Even the better developed countries were seeing great advantages. Siberia was beginning to boom for the first time in its history; the Outback was blossoming; and the Canadian Shield was showing real life.

But the most noticeable changes were happening out in space. The first stations on Mars had been finished, and the first ones in the asteroid belt had been started. The processing plants were almost done, and the first asteroids were already on their way. The ones that could be transported whole had been chosen first—this supply would last for a couple of years before the need to start breaking them up came around. The ships that had been used for transportation were now being stationed around Mars, waiting to start taking loads of high quality ore to Earth. There was talk of establishing iron smelters and other plants of that type on the Moon; though there were questions about how much an effect the much lighter gravity of the Moon would have on the processing and pouring of raw materials into useable items; all the ore from the asteroid belt in Pegasus had been taken to the planets or processed in orbital stations that had full gravity. Experiments were being made to see if that would be a problem; if it could be beaten, then the gradual removal of all such plants to the moon was in the foreseeable future. If the highly polluting plants of that type could be removed from Earth, it would be a good deal for all.

The impact of all the new technology now available was having a huge impact on the world, if only gradually becoming apparent. The solar power plants and the fusion reactors were revolutionizing those areas; the rapid replacement of coal and gas power plants would soon have a large impact on pollution, especially in the developing countries. Once those plants came on line, electricity became much cheaper and more reliable. Less noticeable but equally important was the replacement of transformers and power substations with cheaper and smaller versions that had no nasty hazardous components. It would take a couple of years, but new transmitters that would send the power to distribution centers without the need for wire would also make for big changes. A huge amount would be saved by not having to replace and repair lines and towers.

The advances in medical technology was also just starting to be felt. Scanners that put x-ray machines and even MRI’s to shame were beginning to spread around the planet. There would no longer be the need for expensive blood and tissue tests and biopsy’s and the like; and the genetic repair of faulty DNA would stop many diseases such as MS and Cancer; and genetic faults that led to other diseases such as heart disease and diabetes and the like would be stopped before the children were even born. And for those who already had the diseases, there were many that could be cured by advanced gene therapy and operating techniques that were as advanced as modern Earth medicine was over the Middle Ages.

Most immediately apparent was the agricultural advances. Soil like in the Outback that had never been productive at all were now showing respectable yields. And marginal soil elsewhere were producing the same yields that top farmland had shown before. And the top rated soils were coming up with crops that were almost unbelievable: yields of 300 bushels an acre in Corn and Wheat and soybeans and others. Max had promised that excess crops that found no buyers nearby would be transported free of charge to places in the world that still needed it. Anti gravity equipped shuttles the size of a dozen river barges could move food from one side of the world to another in less than 2 hours. These ships, powered by fusion reactors, cost literally pennies to operate.

The impact of technology would soon permeate everyday life. Already more shuttles were being built to go along with the 150 that had come from Antar. Larger ones were being designed that would take the place of super tankers and container ships. Though the supertankers would only be needed for a few more years as the need for oil shrank drastically. Goods and materials could then be transported worldwide in hours instead of days and weeks.

Some leaders and others were worried about the turmoil, both economic and social that all these advances coming so close together would have. Others felt that society would adjust just as it had to all the previous advances. The skeptics pointed out that never had so many hit together like these would. But all agreed that nothing was going to stop it—just how to cope with it.

Max and Liz stood looking out their bedroom window at the mountains up close that they had seen all their lives. The Palace, unlike the rest of the buildings, was only 5 stories tall and right at the apex of the settlement, so there was nothing blocking the view of the surrounding country side. One other advance was that of building technology and design; while Antar was (or had been) fairly benign as regards violent storms and earthquakes and the like, Granular had been just about as active as Earth was. So buildings that were earthquake and tornado and the like proof had been built for many years. Though few had been built as tall as the settlement buildings, and none were as tall as some of Earth’s skyscrapers. But the basic designs were there for modification. That would soon change more of Earth’s day to day living.

Liz rested her head on Max’s shoulder. “Well, one cannot say the last six years were exactly boring, can you?”

Max smiled. It had not been often that they had time to just sit back and enjoy life. “No, but right now, I could take boring for say, 6 months or so.”

Liz wrinkled her nose. “Well maybe 3 months. More than that, and I would either go up the wall or take my sword and go headhunter hunting.”

“OK, three months it is.”