Ask Deidre about the Writer's Craft...

Come here to celebrate the publication of Fanatics member Rosdeidre! Learn about her new book series, The Parallel Series. Ask questions about the publication process, the writing process, and anything else that comes to mind!

Moderators: RosDeidre, Forum Moderators

Skittles1983
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Question

Post by Skittles1983 »

Okay, I think this is the right topic to post this in. First, I loved your book! I could not put it down and I can't wait for the sequel! I was curious as to what kind of research you did? Did you just make up the world you described? I'm working on a mythical story and I have the storyline, characters, and such but I'm trying to put together the landscape. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can begin my research? ~Amy
"Something in your eyes makes me smile..." David Gray
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Question

Post by RosDeidre »

Skittles1983 wrote:Okay, I think this is the right topic to post this in. First, I loved your book! I could not put it down and I can't wait for the sequel! I was curious as to what kind of research you did? Did you just make up the world you described? I'm working on a mythical story and I have the storyline, characters, and such but I'm trying to put together the landscape. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can begin my research? ~Amy
Skittles, this is a great question, and I'm going to get back here on Monday to answer. I'm heading to NM for a writers' conf! (lucky me, right?) Not to Roswell, lol, but I just love ALL of NM!! D
Skittles1983
Enthusiastic Roswellian

thanks

Post by Skittles1983 »

I hope you have a great conference in NM. I look forward to your response about my question regarding research. :D
"Something in your eyes makes me smile..." David Gray
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Question

Post by RosDeidre »

Skittles1983 wrote:Okay, I think this is the right topic to post this in. First, I loved your book! I could not put it down and I can't wait for the sequel! I was curious as to what kind of research you did? Did you just make up the world you described? I'm working on a mythical story and I have the storyline, characters, and such but I'm trying to put together the landscape. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can begin my research? ~Amy
Hey, Amy!!
I did a lot of research for this series. I visited Wyoming in the winter, met some experts I could hit with questions as needed and so forth. If your world is mythological, then you need to carefully map out the rules, properties etc of that world. If we are talking literal landscape, maybe pick a place you know and make your world similar. Or don't! :) make it totally your own. Research, though, is a great source of ideas.

Hope this helps! De
Breathless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Breathless »

Moved
Behr's Bitch