Ask Deidre about the Writer's Craft...

Come here to celebrate the publication of Fanatics member Rosdeidre! Learn about her new book series, The Parallel Series. Ask questions about the publication process, the writing process, and anything else that comes to mind!

Moderators: RosDeidre, Forum Moderators

Kath7
Administrator

Ask Deidre about the Writer's Craft...

Post by Kath7 »

Here is where you can ask Deidre questions about the writing process, and the process she undertook to write the Parallel series. This is also something of a nostalgia thread for those of us who remember the original Writer's Craft thread from way back when...Sigh. :D
Gioia
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Gioia »

Hi, Deidre!

I'm not sure that this is the right thread to ask about this, but I wondered if you could tell us about the process to get that hot cover art? How involved are you as a writer in the decisions and creative process? (And perhaps I should ask, by contrast, how involved the average writer would be?) Did you make any proposals? At what point in the publication process does cover art get created?

You know I'm just thrilled to pieces about this entire experience, Woman!

Congratulations and lots of hugs!

~ Joia
April Author Auction ~*~ March 26-29, 2010
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Gioia wrote:Hi, Deidre!

I'm not sure that this is the right thread to ask about this, but I wondered if you could tell us about the process to get that hot cover art? How involved are you as a writer in the decisions and creative process? (And perhaps I should ask, by contrast, how involved the average writer would be?) Did you make any proposals? At what point in the publication process does cover art get created?

You know I'm just thrilled to pieces about this entire experience, Woman!

Congratulations and lots of hugs!

~ Joia
Hey, girl!!!!
The cover art is so much fun! That's actually one of my favorite things as an agent, is seeing the covers!

In my own instance, for each book I have "cover conference" for each book, which is a phone meeting with my editor where we share ideas. For PA my editor asked me, "Does the hero have any significant tattoos or markings?" That was a great question b/c it caused me to think about how Jared DOES have that impt marking that plays such a big part in the series.

With HEAT, my editor and I brainstormed how to make the new cover different from the first, yet be in keeping with the series. I told her I'd love a red cover, we talked about who would go on the cover and I suggested the hero/heroine together. Then there was a VERY long wait (during which time I thought I'd expire from curiosity!) and then...voila! The new cover!

At that point, we tweaked a few things. For instance in the first version part of the heroine's face was cut off and we thought it didn't look great that way. They changed it. :)

It's always an exciting process!! Hugs, D
Gioia
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Gioia »

Thanks, De! That totally answers my questions. Btw, your ears must've been burning all week; you just can't imagine how much we've all be gabbing about you, particularly your old crowd! I think there was a random round of "squeeeeeees!" every 30 seconds, at least!
April Author Auction ~*~ March 26-29, 2010
Eccentric One
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eccentric One »

Hey Deidre!

Congrats on the book!

I'm currently searching for a new career and am toying with the idea of being a professional "beta". I love going through documents for grammar and spelling errors. And also suggesting ways to make ideas clearer. What would be the professional name for that? Is that simply a proof reader or is there another name for the position that I should be investigating?

Thanks!

Kara
I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exhortation. - Sherlock Holmes
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Eccentric one, I think you'd be looking at being a proof reader or perhaps a reviewer? The latter has so many opportunities out here on the web, particularly for romance where they let readers post reviews on a lot of reader sites. That could be a great way to get started! D
Roswell 10/2/00
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell 10/2/00 »

Hi Deidre,

It's Erin aka Roswell 10/2/00 First of all congratulations on the success of your first book being published that is wonderful news. I will have to read The Parallel Series when it comes out! Very Happy

I have always wanted to be a writer from as long as I can remember. It has always been a dream of mine. Even since I was little I was always writing stories or making up stories and telling them to people. So in a way I knew I was meant to be a storyteller. I have always have had a very vivid imagination and have always have had a strong love for the craft of writing.

I have been a member of Roswellfanfic for close to 3 years now and I have to say it was the best thing for me. It allowed me to tape into my creative side and craft for writing again and help me to develop my writing in the areas I think I need the most help in.

However writing has never come easy for me. I am dyslexic and well it can hold me back in someway. I have tried to over come this hindrance and go on with my craft. But it is not easy especially when it comes to grammar and spelling. But I know despite this I am a good writer.

I also find that sometimes I get too caught up in the world of Roswell fanfic that I have trouble breaking away when it comes to trying to develop and write my own story. I was wondering if you have faced this problem as well and if it was hard for you when you developed the idea and concept of The Parallel series. Also where do you get your inspiration from for your writing? I would love to know.

Also how hard was it for you to go about the whole process of getting the idea to the page and then to the printer and publisher? I figure I would ask you being you have first hand experience with how this process works. Was it hard did you ever feel like you couldn't do it or face writers block? And if so how did you get through it.

I was wondering if it is not too much trouble and only if you have the time if you would be able to look over my writing and give me some pointers and some feedback as to what I am doing right and what might help improve my craft.

Here is my latest story Abduction Seduction. I am really trying to break out of my shell on this one and take my writing to the next level. So if you could please look it over and offer me some advice that would be wonderful.

Here is the link to my story Abduction Seduction
http://www.roswellfanfic.com/viewtopic. ... 6cd06917bc

Again thank you for taking the time to read my PM. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time but I figure since you have been through the whole process of getting your book published I figure I would ask you. Again congrats on making your dream a reality. What a wonderful and joyous feeling that must be. You should be proud!

Again thank you for your time and I can't wait to read The Parallel Series.

Hope all is well. Keep on dreaming.

Love,
Erin
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Erin, I answered you on that other thread. I forget which one it's called, but don't miss it. :) Sorry this took a while, but was away from my computer a lot last week! Hugs
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Hi Diedre, congratulations on your book of course.

Hope you don't mind, this is more me being curious, than actually asking literally about the writing process, but I was just wondering if you've heard of and/or ever taken part in Nano (National novel writing month)? I'd never heard of it until someone on this board mentioned it in the fanfic discussion forum last year, but I know from the official site it's been going some number of years.

Kat
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

KatnotKath wrote:Hi Diedre, congratulations on your book of course.

Hope you don't mind, this is more me being curious, than actually asking literally about the writing process, but I was just wondering if you've heard of and/or ever taken part in Nano (National novel writing month)? I'd never heard of it until someone on this board mentioned it in the fanfic discussion forum last year, but I know from the official site it's been going some number of years.

Kat
Hey, Kat!
I have heard of it, but have never taken part in it. I think anything that makes a writer put "butt in chair" (sorry to be so crass!) is a good thing. I say go for it!