Deidre's Thread

Come here to celebrate the publication of Fanatics member Rosdeidre! Learn about her new book series, The Parallel Series. Ask questions about the publication process, the writing process, and anything else that comes to mind!

Moderators: RosDeidre, Forum Moderators

RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Jody!! So great to see you here. Thanks so, so much for your comments, which really made my eyes mist over. What a long, strange and magical journey we've all had here thanks to a little tv show. :)

A little favor I'd like to ask of you and others who love the new book: Would you consider writing a review on Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com? It can be the exact same post, but getting some really hot reviews helps build a book's momentum in terms of sales. Obviously, no mention of my fic writing life before (lol! That would just confuse people!!), but a basic "I loved it" or whatever. I really, really want to get the buzz going on this book. The sales are awesome for the first week, but it's that word of mouth that comes from readers that really helps a book grow.

Of course, if anybody reads and hates the book, well hey, go post that too! :) :lol: I can take it!

It's been an insane past week. I've done six sit down signings and visited about 25 bookstores to sign stock and meet the booksellers. WILD!!!
hugs to all!
Roswell 10/2/00
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell 10/2/00 »

hi Deidre,

I sent you a PM I hope you got it. :D

Hope all is well and congrats on the book I can't wait to start reading the Parallel series!

Love,
Erin aka Roswell 10/2/00
-----------------------------
What happends when two worlds collide?
Would you be willing to risk it all of the sake of Love?
Read my fic Abduction Seduction
Tigereyes
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: Three points left of center!! Where all the cool kids hang out...

Post by Tigereyes »

RosDeidre wrote:Jody!! So great to see you here. Thanks so, so much for your comments, which really made my eyes mist over. What a long, strange and magical journey we've all had here thanks to a little tv show. :)
De- Thanks! And you are most welcome....you really don't know how much your fics meant(still mean) to me. I really enjoyed all the time spent here reading them, and when I got the book, it really did take me back....it was nice to remember some pleasant times :) Just so you know....if I ever get the chance, I *SO* want you to autograph my book copy(ies) :wink:
RosDeidre wrote: A little favor I'd like to ask of you and others who love the new book: Would you consider writing a review on Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com? It can be the exact same post, but getting some really hot reviews helps build a book's momentum in terms of sales. Obviously, no mention of my fic writing life before (lol! That would just confuse people!!), but a basic "I loved it" or whatever. I really, really want to get the buzz going on this book. The sales are awesome for the first week, but it's that word of mouth that comes from readers that really helps a book grow.
I would be most happy to leave a review on Amazon (providing I can figure out how to do it. I'm *such* a technological Quaker, as a friend of mine used to say :oops: :D ). I didn't realize Barnes&Noble had a website (oh yeah, I need to get around more :lol: ).....I'll see if I can get over there as well, time permitting.

In the mean time.....KUDOS to you on a job well done!!

~Jody
Last edited by Tigereyes on Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIZ: ... What?
FUTURE MAX: Nothing. It's just...seeing you at 17 again is making it all come flooding back to me. How my stomach used to rumble every time I saw you.
Roswell 10/2/00
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell 10/2/00 »

Hi Deidre,

It's Erin aka Roswell 10/2/00 First of all congratulations on the success of your first book being published that is wonderful news. I will have to read The Parallel Series when it comes out! Very Happy

I have always wanted to be a writer from as long as I can remember. It has always been a dream of mine. Even since I was little I was always writing stories or making up stories and telling them to people. So in a way I knew I was meant to be a storyteller. I have always have had a very vivid imagination and have always have had a strong love for the craft of writing.

I have been a member of Roswellfanfic for close to 3 years now and I have to say it was the best thing for me. It allowed me to tape into my creative side and craft for writing again and help me to develop my writing in the areas I think I need the most help in.

However writing has never come easy for me. I am dyslexic and well it can hold me back in someway. I have tried to over come this hindrance and go on with my craft. But it is not easy especially when it comes to grammar and spelling. But I know despite this I am a good writer.

I also find that sometimes I get too caught up in the world of Roswell fanfic that I have trouble breaking away when it comes to trying to develop and write my own story. I was wondering if you have faced this problem as well and if it was hard for you when you developed the idea and concept of The Parallel series. Also where do you get your inspiration from for your writing? I would love to know.

Also how hard was it for you to go about the whole process of getting the idea to the page and then to the printer and publisher? I figure I would ask you being you have first hand experience with how this process works. Was it hard did you ever feel like you couldn't do it or face writers block? And if so how did you get through it.

I was wondering if it is not too much trouble and only if you have the time if you would be able to look over my writing and give me some pointers and some feedback as to what I am doing right and what might help improve my craft.

Here is my latest story Abduction Seduction. I am really trying to break out of my shell on this one and take my writing to the next level. So if you could please look it over and offer me some advice that would be wonderful.

Here is the link to my story Abduction Seduction
http://www.roswellfanfic.com/viewtopic. ... 6cd06917bc

Again thank you for taking the time to read my PM. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time but I figure since you have been through the whole process of getting your book published I figure I would ask you. Again congrats on making your dream a reality. What a wonderful and joyous feeling that must be. You should be proud!

Again thank you for your time and I can't wait to read The Parallel Series.

Hope all is well. Keep on dreaming.

Love,
Erin
mia363
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by mia363 »

I'd been away from the forum for awhile when I saw that you had a book coming out. I got so excited - you're such a great author, I knew I had to go buy the book. I've been sort of a lurker, but I've read all your stories over the past few years, and it's great that you've gotten a book published. I went out last Friday, bought it and read it in less than 24 hours. How's that for a good review? :wink:

I have to add that even in a published novel, you are so mean about cliff-hangers! :P Congratulations, you've earned it.
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

mia363 wrote:
I have to add that even in a published novel, you are so mean about cliff-hangers! :P Congratulations, you've earned it.
Mia, you are so funny!! Well, it's only a small, itty bitty little cliffhanger, right? :) Thanks so much for the sweet comments. D
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Tigereyes wrote: De- Thanks! And you are most welcome....you really don't know how much your fics meant(still mean) to me. I really enjoyed all the time spent here reading them, and when I got the book, it really did take me back....it was nice to remember some pleasant times :) Just so you know....if I ever get the chance, I *SO* want you to autograph my book copy(ies) :wink:

~Jody
Jody, this comment really moved me. It brings back all the warm fuzzies I used to feel being part of this fandom. I can honestly say that Roswell got me through a very difficult time in my life--when I was finishing GRAVITY and then writing ANTARIAN SKY, I had lost identical twins and was still carrying the third triplet (I had twins and a singleton), who is my now BEAUTIFUL daughter Riley. At the time, so many people talked about the emotion in ANTARIAN SKY--people wrote me that the story healed their hearts and that kind of thing. Well, what I couldn't really express at the time was that it was MY healing too. Getting to write and share stories that came from my heart, and my feelings of loss and also joy, was such a big part of my own journey. I'll always love my Roswell friends.
hugs! D
Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Post by Itzstacie »

I just wanted to say I have the book and the minute I get back home I plan on sitting down and reading it...(I'm living at my sisters house right due to Hurricane Katrina so I have no privacy whats so ever to sit down and find a quiet place to read..but I assure you the minute I do which should be about in another month, I plan on locking myself in my room and reading what I know will be a great book)

Stacie
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Thanks, Stacie! I'm sorry to hear that you were hit hard by Katrina. Maybe when you get to read it, you'll find it a fun escape for just a little while! Hugs, D
RosDeidre
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDeidre »

Roswell 10/2/00 wrote:
I have always wanted to be a writer from as long as I can remember. It has always been a dream of mine. Even since I was little I was always writing stories or making up stories and telling them to people. So in a way I knew I was meant to be a storyteller. I have always have had a very vivid imagination and have always have had a strong love for the craft of writing.

I have been a member of Roswellfanfic for close to 3 years now and I have to say it was the best thing for me. It allowed me to tape into my creative side and craft for writing again and help me to develop my writing in the areas I think I need the most help in.
I think fanfic is such a great way to jump into writing, then slowly begin creating a world of your own. You have the opportunity for feedback and to learn what your readers like! This is a great place for you to be!
However writing has never come easy for me. I am dyslexic and well it can hold me back in someway. I have tried to over come this hindrance and go on with my craft. But it is not easy especially when it comes to grammar and spelling. But I know despite this I am a good writer.
I'm incredibly impressed! You obviously have the heart of a storyteller. I honestly believe that craft issues, grammar and so forth, can ultimately be learned. But having the heart of a storyteller is so important!
I also find that sometimes I get too caught up in the world of Roswell fanfic that I have trouble breaking away when it comes to trying to develop and write my own story. I was wondering if you have faced this problem as well and if it was hard for you when you developed the idea and concept of The Parallel series. Also where do you get your inspiration from for your writing? I would love to know.
Such great questions, Erin!! Okay, well it IS a big shift to start writing your own world if you're used to fanfic, but I think the way to make that transition is to begin introducing more of your own ideas and world. The PARALLEL series did begin as fanfic, though it's changed A LOT. There's nothing really that ties into Roswell at all, in fact, and the hero/heroine aren't Max and Liz. But that's now. In the original version, I did have a lot of Max/Liz in the story--yet Marco was my own guy. Totally mine. So try to really begin intro'ing your own stamp on these stories, that would be my advice!

As for inspiration, I'm constantly coming up with story ideas. I have a lot of things in the hopper, including another sci-fi series that I cannot WAIT to write!!!! I actually have to rein myself in. I guess what I'm saying is that I keep my internal ear open at all times for story ideas. Keep a notebook! That way, as title ideas or dialogue bits or any of that come to you, you can jot them down.

I still remember that one of my fave scenes in ANTARIAN SKY was written on the back of a throw away paper b/c I just started HEARING it in my head. I scrambled for the page, then began making notes like crazy.
Also how hard was it for you to go about the whole process of getting the idea to the page and then to the printer and publisher? I figure I would ask you being you have first hand experience with how this process works. Was it hard did you ever feel like you couldn't do it or face writers block? And if so how did you get through it.
I'm really lucky in that I've had a core group of writer friends--people I met here on this forum in 2001--and a number of those writers gave me great feedback on my proposal for PARALLEL series. And, YES, I totally felt I couldn't do it at times. In fact, on the second book, PARALLEL HEAT, I was practically in tears over this one story issue. But finally it got resolved!! Bouncing ideas off trusted readers/critiquers is very impt. Doing that helped me through my book two crisis!

HUGS! D