Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Luvya wrote:Although Micheal is a misspelling it can be spelled that way the same as Isabel can be spelled Isabelle.

All names do have different spellings I know this because I'm Rachael- and almost everyone forgets the second a and goes Rachel for the simple reason its more common and when they do know there is two a's they do muddle it up with Racheal

And that went slightly off topic with a rant on my name. Sorry about that.
Definately true. I'm Katherine, of course, which can be spelt any number of ways. But it is NOT true in Canon Roswell, where Isabel is spelt ISABEL and Michael is spelt MICHAEL. Spelling them other ways would be like someone spelling my name Catherine. Wrong.

I don't mean to get snippy about this, but it is one of my pet peeves. Seriously. If I see Isabel spelt Isabelle in a story, I stop reading. That's how much it annoys me. But that's just me.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

One big no-no I was taught in a novel-writing class was to never use a colon (or semi-colon, for that matter) in dialogue.
That's actually good because I've never used a colon in a story. I didn't know what they were for. :lol:

Sheisty, wow! Both of your posts were really helpful, thank you. :D
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Breathless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Breathless »

Kath7 wrote: I don't mean to get snippy about this, but it is one of my pet peeves. Seriously. If I see Isabel spelt Isabelle in a story, I stop reading. That's how much it annoys me. But that's just me.
Nope, it's not just you, Kath. I find it highly annoying when the character's basic names, as presented in canon, are not spelled correctly. Isabelle is a beautiful name, but it's not Isabelle Evans. It's Isabel. Michael is not called Mickey, unless Courtney is talking.

I guess it might be acceptable to toy with the spelling in an AU fic, but if it's canon, then the canon spelling should be used.
Last edited by Breathless on Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behr's Bitch
Breathless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Breathless »

Jen C wrote:Is the Crashdown one word or two? Crashdown or Crash down or even Crash Down?

To answer this, the scripts I have spell it Crashdown. One word, only the first letter capitalized.

Another name commonly misspelled is Nasedo. N-A-S-E-D-O.

Same with Kivar. I turned on the closed caption for the DVD, and the official spelling is K-I-V-A-R. No H

So, as far as canon is concerned, the correct spelling for frequently misspelled names is (are?):

Isabel
Nasedo
Crashdown
Granilith
Kivar

Edited to add one more:

Vilandra

These are all commonly misspelled names, but when writing Roswell fanfic, we should strive to use the correct spelling, no matter our personal preferences.

By the way, just as an aside, in checking through the DVD's for the correct spelling, I couldn't help noticing the musical changes, and can I just say what a CROCK that is??? Other shows have been released on DVD without gutting the original content (music in this case), so why not Roswell? Because TPTB were too damn cheap to spend the extra money to secure the original music? What difference did it make? Those of us who bought the DVD's would have spent the money no matter what the price. They cheated us out of the music just like they cheated us out of so many other things.

Okay, done with my rant now! :D
Last edited by Breathless on Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Behr's Bitch
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Kath7 wrote: Definately true. I'm Katherine, of course, which can be spelt any number of ways. But it is NOT true in Canon Roswell, where Isabel is spelt ISABEL and Michael is spelt MICHAEL. Spelling them other ways would be like someone spelling my name Catherine. Wrong.

I don't mean to get snippy about this, but it is one of my pet peeves. Seriously. If I see Isabel spelt Isabelle in a story, I stop reading. That's how much it annoys me. But that's just me.
When I first started writing, I didn't originally know how to spell Isabel for cannon I have to admit. My rough pads are littered with the incorrect spelling, but when I found out, I did correct (I think, and hope lol) because as you say spelling names incorrectly gets to be a peeve, especially when you have it so much from everyone in RL :? (Kathryn seems to be the last spelling anyone thinks of)
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Breathless: Thank you! I hava always wondered how to spell Vilandra and Kivar. Now what about Lerek?
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Jen C
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Jen C »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:Breathless: Thank you! I hava always wondered how to spell Vilandra and Kivar. Now what about Lerek?
At crashdown.com, it is spelled Larek.

Jen
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

[quote="KatnotKath]
...especially when you have it so much from everyone in RL :? (Kathryn seems to be the last spelling anyone thinks of)[/quote]

I feel for you! At least my spelling is generally the second guess! lol My best friend is also Catharine. The a in the middle is a FIASCO, let me tell you. And, yet, they're all perfectly legitimate spellings. lol
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Kath7 wrote:
I feel for you! At least my spelling is generally the second guess! lol My best friend is also Catharine. The a in the middle is a FIASCO, let me tell you. And, yet, they're all perfectly legitimate spellings. lol
I guess variety is the spice of life as they say lol
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Midwest Max »

Another common mistake (and I've seen MANY published authors do this) is the use of try and. You don't try and do something. You try to do something. If you're going to go ahead and do it (which the use of AND implies) then there's no point in trying to do it.

This is incorrect -

I'm going to try and get us some tickets for the game.

This is correct -

I'm going to try to get us some tickets for the game.

Er, personal peeve of mine :oops: