Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

I think "cheesehead" and "dorkbutt" come from the Roswell Elementary fanfic series, when they were in fifth grade... Granted, they are no longer in fifth grade, but it's the same with Hurricane DeLuca -which originated in the same series- you just love the series and want to bring a bit of it back...

Or you've read it in so many other fics, that it sticks with you :P

;)
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re:

Post by cardinalgirl »

Misha wrote:I think "cheesehead" and "dorkbutt" come from the Roswell Elementary fanfic series, when they were in fifth grade... Granted, they are no longer in fifth grade, but it's the same with Hurricane DeLuca -which originated in the same series- you just love the series and want to bring a bit of it back...

Or you've read it in so many other fics, that it sticks with you :P

;)
Yep, RE is serious, old-time fanon. It generated a lot of stuff that's just been ingrained in fic ever since. Liz, Maria and Alex being "The three musketeers," for example, but I think what's stuck the most is the Candy stuff.
tarajeff73
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Post by tarajeff73 »

*has her nose in a note book scribbling notes* Ah nuts! I'm guilty of a few of those. Well, definitely the Serena one :lol: although I can't remember If I made future Michael and Maria children hellions! :lol:

this really makes you think if your a writer so, um, NOTED :wink:

~My Fics~
[WIP]
"The One Among Us"
Alorah's Story
[COMPLETED]
Destiny's Still Calling
Consequences of a Child
Zakmonster
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Zakmonster »

Thread revival!

1) All guys are insensitive jerks (with the exception of Alex, and sometimes, Max).

2) All girls are domineering queens who take great pleasure in smacking their S.O.s upside the head.

Honestly, I've read fics where the girls' attitudes just rubbed me the wrong way. Kyle or Michael (they're always the victims/culprits) make some typical guy comment and they get mercilessly smacked. C'mon, they're guys. Making stupid jokes and insensitive comments is part of being a man.

And the girls' first reaction is to get violent. No indulgent little smiles, or eye-rolls. Nothing to show that they love their guy despite how he can be typically male at times. Nope, they go right to the head-slapping.

And there are never any guys' night outs. Maybe its cos most fic writers are women and don't really know what a guys night out consists of... but its a bit weird how the guys never seem to hang out together just to do guy stuff. Its like their lives center solely on their girls and when they're not with their girls, they don't seem to be doing anything.

And its a bit strange how Isabel seems to forget everyone else when she gets together with Alex. Alex is the only one she runs to, the only one she confides in, the only one she sides with. Its like when she's with Alex, her brothers just disappear into the background.

Not complaining or anything, but its just a bit weird how a girl who's supposedly so close to her brothers just start ignoring them when she gets a boyfriend/soulmate.

my 2 cents. Enjoy!
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Kristy »

Zakmonster wrote:
Honestly, I've read fics where the girls' attitudes just rubbed me the wrong way. Kyle or Michael (they're always the victims/culprits) make some typical guy comment and they get mercilessly smacked. C'mon, they're guys. Making stupid jokes and insensitive comments is part of being a man.

And the girls' first reaction is to get violent. No indulgent little smiles, or eye-rolls. Nothing to show that they love their guy despite how he can be typically male at times. Nope, they go right to the head-slapping.
Yes, but isn't that a girl's natural reaction to a male being typical? Please, I've done it enough to my guy friends and a boyfriend or two. It's playful and a bit of justice. And fun. And Maria isn't going to take Michael's comments lying down. :wink:
Kristy

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!" - Stewie Griffin
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Well I do have to admit that I have done a lot of stories where Michael or Kyle or both have gotten smacked on the shoulder or the back of their head for something they said..... :lol:

I think for me comes from the scene at the Crashdown where Maria did smack Michael in the head :lol:
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Ok I'm going to just come out and say this.One of the things I hate most in fanfiction and it's one of the reasons I can NOT get into Max/Liz stories.For many people write them and have Max just be Mr Perfect Boyfriend.No faults no flaws just all around perfect.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

(scratches chin)

I don't find characters with fewer flaws and stories less unbearable angst to be *that* much of an impediment to my enjoyment of fan fiction. I'd prefer Max as a nice guy instead of a rude obnoxious punk...or worse simply gone from Liz's life. If anything, "bad Max" (or bad anyone else) fics have been way over done. Real life has plenty of warts for me to not enjoy. I rub elbows with people who suck every day. I read fiction in general and fan fiction in particular to *escape* real life. Most of fan fiction lives and breathes because commercial writers and story tellers seldom try to fill that particular niche. So fans try to fill it themselves.

(shrugs) Different strokes for different folks.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

If anything, "bad Max" (or bad anyone else) fics have been way over done.
That's true. The question is, why does it still goes on, in fics?

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

xmag wrote:
If anything, "bad Max" (or bad anyone else) fics have been way over done.
That's true. The question is, why does it still go on, in fics?
Because, like I said, "Different strokes for different folks". One man's meat is another man's poison. Just because I don't like something, some particular element or style, doesn't mean that someone else can't adore it. As long as it doesn't break the rules, it's welcome here.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins