Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Post by tequathisy »

I dislike the ones where Max is too perfect because he comes across as an annoying sap. (It happens in candy fics too but to a lesser degree.) There are times when Max is so romantic and fawning and simpering it's like the author has surgically removed his balls. Let Max be a man, I say.
Banner by Evelyn
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

tequathisy wrote:I dislike the ones where Max is too perfect because he comes across as an annoying sap. (It happens in candy fics too but to a lesser degree.) There are times when Max is so romantic and fawning and simpering it's like the author has surgically removed his balls. Let Max be a man, I say.
That's what I was trying to say :mrgreen:
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

killjoy wrote:
tequathisy wrote:I dislike the ones where Max is too perfect because he comes across as an annoying sap. (It happens in candy fics too but to a lesser degree.) There are times when Max is so romantic and fawning and simpering it's like the author has surgically removed his balls. Let Max be a man, I say.
That's what I was trying to say :mrgreen:
Okay, that I can get behind. Max can be a man without being a jerk.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
StarJet
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by StarJet »

I think I read in some fic where Liz was a few months pregnant and Max was making love to her. Now that was basically creepy. :|
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

StarJet wrote:I think I read in some fic where Liz was a few months pregnant and Max was making love to her. Now that was basically creepy. :|
What? Sex doesn't stop because there's a baby on board, or so say the experts. What's really strange (see my first post on this thread) is the number of fics (in nearly every fandom) in which pregnant women automatically become veritable sex engines, burning with unquenchable lust for the father of their child. My wife assures me that this is NOT the case most of the time. Never having been pregnant myself, I'll take her word for it. ;-)

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
Fehrbaby
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Fehrbaby »

StarJet wrote:I think I read in some fic where Liz was a few months pregnant and Max was making love to her. Now that was basically creepy. :|
I have to echo Rick here. Pregnant women can still have sex until the last trimester. There's nothing creepy about that, IMHO.
StarJet
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by StarJet »

I know that a pregnant woman can have sex, but what I meant as creepy was the fact that in that fic, Max was having sex over and over again with Liz who was like few months pregnant. Normally, people don't turn a pregnant woman into a sex toy, do they?
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

Or how about where the pregnant woman eats and eats - and it's usually the fattiest kind of food yet never gains any extra weight? She only has a bump and larger breasts.

I remember reading a fic once where Liz was pregnant and the author went to great lengths to describe all the horrible concoctions Liz was eating. So I cheekily commented that Liz would be huge by the time the baby was born. I was told in no uncertain terms that Liz wasn't gaining any extra weight at all - just the bump and the boobs. The thought that a pregnant Liz would put on extra weight horrified the author. :lol:
Banner by Evelyn
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

I was wondering why there aren't Isabel/Khivar fics. After all, as Vilandra, they had this greatest love story of all times that Antar still remembers years after. Isabel dreamed about the guy, she almost left everything behind for him. So why no one ever tries to write an Isabel/khivar fic?

Also, in fanfics, everytime Khivar is mentioned, and his history with Vilandra explained, the poor princess was always a brainless idiot in love and abused by a tyran. Knowing what we know of Isabel, do you see her as a weak idiot? She was clever (graduation before anyone else), she was organized, brilliant, a natural born leader, everyone followed her orders and she was a seducer.

So with such a strong personality, why write her as a fool in the past? Why not write her as this passionata, this Xena warrior princess character who had strong opinions, political ideas, and who acted on them with the man she was really in love with because they were revolutionaries who wanted to change the world? Her death could have been the result of an accident in the war, and not something that Khivar wanted.

Michael : From day one, I knew you were the girl for me, I never wanted anyone else.
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

xmag wrote:Also, in fanfics, everytime Khivar is mentioned, and his history with Vilandra explained, the poor princess was always a brainless idiot in love and abused by a tyran. Knowing what we know of Isabel, do you see her as a weak idiot?
Not necessarily a weak idiot, but she did have a nasty habit of trusting the wrong people. She was the first to befriend Tess (Murderess and traitor), she dated Grant (Host to an Alien Parasite and a kidnapper), she trusted Nicholas (The guy who wanted them all dead) and got them all captured....

Trusting Khivar would just be another in a long line of misplaced trust.