Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Stranger than fanfiction...fanfic chads.

Post by killjoy »

Misha wrote:
Zanity wrote:Ok here's one that gets me... in fics where the gang go back to Antar and then there is a big explosion or the ground shakes and even the natives call it an earthquake. I could understand those he came from earth calling it that cause it's what they are used to calling it. But you'd think the people who'd lived on Antar all their lives would call it an antarquake or something similar... wouldn't you?
Actually, if you want to get technical, we call them "earthquakes" not because they happen on planet Earth, but because they happen on the earth. Just like you would call "seaquake" if the movement was happening in the sea. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seaquake

There are also "moonquakes" because they happen in the Moon -or any moon for that matter- but "earthquake" is the generic way of refering to a movement in solid ground. Otherwise, we would have "venusquakes" and "calistoquakes" and "asteroidquakes" and it would be a big messy thing...

So I have no problem with that specific term ;)
I guess we're supposed to call them Antarquakes :lol:
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

killjoy wrote:
Misha wrote:
Zanity wrote:Ok here's one that gets me... in fics where the gang go back to Antar and then there is a big explosion or the ground shakes and even the natives call it an earthquake. I could understand those he came from earth calling it that cause it's what they are used to calling it. But you'd think the people who'd lived on Antar all their lives would call it an antarquake or something similar... wouldn't you?
Actually, if you want to get technical, we call them "earthquakes" not because they happen on planet Earth, but because they happen on the earth. Just like you would call "seaquake" if the movement was happening in the sea. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seaquake

There are also "moonquakes" because they happen in the Moon -or any moon for that matter- but "earthquake" is the generic way of refering to a movement in solid ground. Otherwise, we would have "venusquakes" and "calistoquakes" and "asteroidquakes" and it would be a big messy thing...

So I have no problem with that specific term ;)
I guess we're supposed to call them Antarquakes :lol:
This is a relatively recent irk for me. It happened sometime in the last year or I was watching something sci-fi (might have been a Babylon 5 epi). Anyway it was one of these shows where humans have begun colonizing the stars and there are a ton of alien races around. The had some sort of interplanetary conference on Mars and one of the logistical problems security was having was a recent increase in marsquakes... and they called them that "marsquakes". After that it just began striking me as absurd to have earthquakes anywhere but on earth.
Wench On A Leash
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Wench On A Leash »

This is more of a pet peeve to me, but when Max and Liz call each other "babe," or "honey," or any kind of pet name of that caliber. It just doesn't suit them. I feel like they have too much respect for each other to simply say "Hey baby." I could picture them calling their children "Sweetie" or something, but not each other.

I understand if it's AU, but in canon, it doesn't make much sense to me.
Michael: It's like we finish each other's...
Lindsay: Sandwiches?
Michael: Sentences. Why would I say...
Michael: That time I was going to say sandwiches.
-Arrested Development
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

I hate that too. If a term of endearment is used once or twice in a fic it seems natural. People in relationships use terms like honey and sweetie. But Max and Liz never did it. (I could be wrong, but I can't think of a time.)

Michael and Maria were much more inclined to use names, but not always terms of endearment. :lol:
Banner by Evelyn
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

tequathisy wrote:I hate that too. If a term of endearment is used once or twice in a fic it seems natural. People in relationships use terms like honey and sweetie. But Max and Liz never did it. (I could be wrong, but I can't think of a time.)

Michael and Maria were much more inclined to use names, but not always terms of endearment. :lol:
Ohhh I don't know about that :lol: .........I kind of think they saw their fighting as a form of endearment :lol:

But yes M/L are not a honey sweetie type couple.....but I could see Kyle saying something like that to Tess :lol:
Wench On A Leash
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Wench On A Leash »

killjoy wrote:tequathisy wrote:
I hate that too. If a term of endearment is used once or twice in a fic it seems natural. People in relationships use terms like honey and sweetie. But Max and Liz never did it. (I could be wrong, but I can't think of a time.)

Michael and Maria were much more inclined to use names, but not always terms of endearment.

Ohhh I don't know about that .........I kind of think they saw their fighting as a form of endearment

But yes M/L are not a honey sweetie type couple.....but I could see Kyle saying something like that to Tess
Yeah, I could definitely picture Kyle calling Tess babe, honey, or sweetie for some reason. With Michael and Maria, I can just picture them either fighting, or her lovingly calling him a jerk or something. And him actually liking it, too. (I call my boyfriend a jerk all the time, it's turned into an endearment for him.) :)
Michael: It's like we finish each other's...
Michael: Sentences. Why would I say...
Michael: That time I was going to say sandwiches.
-Arrested Development
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Max and Liz to me are the Dear type couple.

"yes dear" "Of course dear"

Alex to me would be the one to call Isabel hon or sweetie

Where Michael and Kyle are the

"Hey babe" type guys
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

Ever notice when Liz is described as having legs that go on forever?

Liz Parker (and Shiri Appleby) is an absolutely gorgeous woman. But she's short. She has a fantastic and enviable figure but she does not have long legs. They are short. And they are in perfectly normal proportion to the rest of her body.

It's not a big deal really but it's weird when an author makes a point of describing Liz as being short - although they use the terms petite and tiny instead of short - and then mention that she had really long legs. It just always makes me wonder how that is possible.
chanks_girl
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by chanks_girl »

I don't know if it was mentioned before but in fanfic the gang sits together during lunch at school. while on the show they never did so. there were:

Max/Michael/Isabel
Maria/Liz
Alex/Isabel with Tess
Alex/Kyle
Max/Maria
Max/Liz
Kyle/Tess

but I can't remember a time on the show where all were sitting together. I could be wrong :oops:
Kachie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Kachie »

tequathisy wrote:I hate that too. If a term of endearment is used once or twice in a fic it seems natural. People in relationships use terms like honey and sweetie. But Max and Liz never did it. (I could be wrong, but I can't think of a time.)

I can't stand that in fics, especially when it's "baby." I can stomach a "honey" but it has to be in the right context, like jokingly with an eye roll. But "baby"? Gah, I remember reading a fic that I was really getting interested in . . and then suddenly they're together and now Liz is no longer Liz, Liz is now "baby." And it just ruins the picture for me. Liz and Max were always just that to each other. They didn't need to express their relationship through pet names, their feelings showed through simply in how they said eachother's names.
Don't ask where I'm going, just listen when I've gone. - "Corner of the Sky" Pippin