WHERE do you get your best story ideas?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

April
Roswell Fanatic

WHERE do you get your best story ideas?

Post by April »

So, just out of my own curiosity, is there a special place where any of you like to go to brainstorm ideas, and if so, where? Or do ideas just hit you out of nowhere?

Personally, I find I always get the best ideas . . . in the bathroom. I'm not sure why, but it was where I got the entire idea for 521. Weird. What about you guys?

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
chanks_girl
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: WHERE do you get your best story ideas?

Post by chanks_girl »

Well as you in the bathroom....probably because of the silence. next is watching TV or listening to music. mostly a song inspires me. then there is my crazy mind,which works best during a lecture in university...I imagine how that particularly story what would be and then do it.

Last and the best is killjoy. He is my story pimp. His mind works in a way I probably will never understand but I am grateful for him and his mind.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

I don't really have a specific 'brainstorming' place - I usually just find that story ideas come to me as I'm walking down the street or watching a movie or something (I'll be watching a scene in a TV show or a film and I'll see/hear something and think 'that would make a cool story idea').

I tend to do a lot of chapter/scene planning last thing at night as I'm trying to get to sleep, but often I'll have either forgotten the ideas by the morning, or when I'm fully awake, I'll wonder what the hell I was thinking when I came up with certain ideas :lol: !

When I was working full-time to earn money between my degrees, I worked in retail and spent part of the day in the store's offsite warehouse, picking and counting the stock... since I didn't need to think much there, I used to use that time to plan my stories out in my head :P.
Jezebel Jinx
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Jezebel Jinx »

Oddly enough in the bathroom/shower. Usually in the shower I start talking silently to myself about anything and my mind will go to a story I'm already working on and I'll start working out dialogue. Sometimes it's a scene/chapter I've already gone over before in the shower but most of the time it's a completely new idea for a story.

Other places is when I'm out walking and I have my headphones on listening to songs. Also right when I'm about to fall asleep or maybe a half an hour before. And almost everytime I get an idea before bed I have to get up and write it down on a piece of paper. Even if it's just a couple sentences because if I don't I'll be thinking about it too much and probably end up with a headache the next morning. :lol:
Sig made by AngelFaith
My Fics
Ships: Bangel~Spuffy~Polar~Jumper~Drifter~X-tremer~Awakened Dreamer~Catfighter~Naley~Rogan~Liason~Chilly~Delena~Sebasthryn~Ezria~Jaylee
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

I get most of the ideas for my fics from making fanart. About 70% of the time I made the banner first and the story created itself around it.

~Chad~
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

Sometimes things just hit me whatever I'm doing, but I have to admit I think out a lot of my scenes when I'm walking around. I do a lot of talking out of things when I'm walking to and from work (people would think I was crazy if they heard me talking to myself I'm sure) and the idea for Love and Loss came when I was walking back from the sports club along the riverside some years back. I guess it goes along with a lot of the theme of others - there's not much noise or distraction around...
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
Michelle17
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Michelle17 »

Hi all,

I think some of my best ideas come from listening to music and watching tv. I also look at peoples fan art . Sometimes iit helps me when my boyfriend drives us some place since I can't drive. I think most tomes it's him who inpres me and then I sometimes go back watch the series all over it again. I'm usually out somewhere though or over a friends place. :lol: :lol:

Special thanks too

claudialynn
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Janetfl »

Okay I have to say that I'm Lost Without You came to me when I was listening to music and so did Conclusive Evidence.

But I have to say that just lately the ideas have been coming from the wonderful and very talented Killjoy. His mind is amazing!!!! He has some of the best ideas around!!!!!

Thank you Killjoy for all your input and help!!!! What would I do without you!!!!!

JAN :mrgreen:
Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

All my best ideas are generated in the bathroom too, and then promptly forgotten when I step back into the hallway afterwards. :(
it's better to rise than fade away.
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

Must be something about the bathroom. :lol: Ideas usually come to me while I'm in the shower, or when I'm in bed at night trying to get to sleep.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”