Fic Placement

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Fic Placement

Post by RosDude »

So I pretty much have the canon or AU thing down. My problem is figuring out if a fic goes in AU with aliens or without.

Right now I'm writing a fic that takes place in the not too distant future where humans have been genetically altered by a virus, but they are...or were still once humans. They're not aliens. So where does this fic go? AA doesn't seem right either. There's nothing really controversial about the fic or the couples. Also what about fics that deal with ghost or other supernatural things of the like? Would those be considered AU without aliens or with?

~Chad~
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Fic Placement

Post by PML »

That is a really good question. One that I myself have had worry about. I usually just through them into the AU with Aliens as it usually seems the best fit. I mean take Sorcerer for example, the aliens from the show were in fact in that story Alfar, Norse elves. So aliens of a sort I guess.

But in Teardrop of Fire, I still placed it in the AU with Aliens even though everyone is human. Some of them are highly engineered, and others are cybernetic, but all still human. Sort of. So I definately understand what you are talking about.

I would say that it depends, probably on a case by case basis. Based more on the feel of the story than anything else. Both Teardrop and Sorcerer were without a doubt space opera with fantastic elements.

On the other hand, if the fantastic is just backdrop, like a romance set on a space station, then it is basically a romance in an exotic locale. The locale isn't a major feature of the piece. So is it really a factor? My guess is no. AU without Aliens would be my guess.

But if the fact that they are on the space station becomes a major part of the story, suddenly everything changes. Its not a standard romance, there are non standard elements that come into play and that I think would cause it to be more scifi or space opera-like. Au with Aliens. Sure there may not be actual aliens, but the storyline diverges from normal perceived reality.

Just my honest opinion.
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

If the story takes place entirely on Earth and the events which happen are natural or caused by humans, then I think AU is probably the best. If the genetic alteration is caused by aliens, or if aliens appear in the story, then AU with aliens.
Banner by Evelyn
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Good rule of thumb, tequathisy. :)

Basically, folks, in future, if you're wondering where your story belongs, feel free to pm a mod or admin at any time. We're happy to help figure it out!

Kath