The Forging of a Lifebond (CC,M/L,ADULT) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 48

Post by Tasyfa »

Posted in 2 parts for length. :) Penultimate chapter, folks! :eek :D
hugs, Tas

*****NEW Chapter 48*****

“How can you be a priestess? You’re human. Aren’t you?”

Serena countered the question with one of her own. “What are you if not human, Liz?”

“But—” Liz halted and shook her head. She finally admitted, “I don’t understand.”

“It’s not that complicated, really. There was no one to tend to the granolith, no one to commune with it. Once it found someone it considered a suitable candidate, it chose to petition her.” Serena smiled, clearly remembering. “It led me here, to the door of the chamber. I couldn’t open it then, of course, but it also influenced Zane. He was inside, about to emerge, and there I was, waiting.”

“She scared the daylights out of me,” Zane added, one side of his mouth quirking up. “If I hadn’t known her, at least by sight, it could have been ugly.”

“Oh, no,” she demurred. “It did get ugly later, until you learned to see me for all of who I was.”

Liz watched, fascinated, as a tide of color swept over his face. “You were so young, Seri. I felt like a pervert.”

His wife laughed up at him, a naughty glitter in her eyes. “That’s still the best birthday present you’ve ever given me.”

He coughed, and then his face acquired a look—subtle, but one Liz knew nonetheless, from seeing it on a similar face so often. She smiled when Serena’s eyes widened in surprised interest, knowing that Zane had just said something to her telepathically. Liz could guess the subject, especially when Serena leaned into her husband and they shared a kiss.

“Aw, man, they’re definitely related,” Michael groused. “What is it with Evanses and public displays of affection?” Everyone laughed.

“Might I remind you, Michael, that you are an honorary Evans now?” Isabel said archly, to more laughter.

He groaned exaggeratedly, then grabbed Maria and planted one on her. Liz could hear Maria squeaking in protest even as Michael continued to kiss her, and she shook her head at their antics.

When she could speak again, Maria vented. “Ooooh, Spaceboy, you are going to pay for that. I’ll send you fantasies all day long when I’m on my period.”

“Maria!” Kyle and Alex chorused, clapping hands over their ears.

Liz sighed. She loved her friends, she really did, but sometimes… “You were talking about adolescent behavior earlier?” she commented dryly to Serena.

The older woman smiled. “I think they’re just blowing off steam. Everyone is nervous.”

She nodded. “Yeah. Still, let’s go apart a bit and leave them to it. It’s really the four of us that this concerns. Well, five, including Tomar.” Liz patted his shoulder.

Isabel came up to Zane, seeming oddly diffident. “I can watch the baby for you, if you’d like.”

He studied her for a moment then smiled. “Yeah, that would be good.” Zane didn’t offer any instructions as he transferred Maxwell into her arms, trusting that if she’d offered, then she knew what she was doing. “You be good for Auntie Isabel.”

Seeing Isabel’s pleased sparkle, Liz thought that perhaps her someday sister-in-law wouldn’t be as anxious to use her ‘Get Out of Babysitting Free’ card as she’d seemed.

Before the newly formed discussion group could get started, Kyle appeared beside Max, startling everyone.

“What’s up, Valenti?” Max inquired.

Kyle acknowledged the question with a smirk. “Well, since you ask, Evans…” he trailed off suggestively and laughed. Liz shook her head as Max laughed, too. Kyle sobered. “Seriously, sorry to interrupt but I’ve been thinking about what you said about Khivar, about being locked into this cycle that pitted you against each other over and over, and you always lost, because you weren’t strong enough to give up Liz.”

“Right.” He sounded noncommittal but Liz could feel his urge to squirm at the blunt assessment.

“Well, you won, man. You broke the cycle. That makes you a free man, Max. You’re not following a script anymore, playing out the same shit. You did what you had to do, and that means it’s time to do what you want to do. Keep that in mind.”

“Thanks, Kyle.” Max offered him a brief smile and a handclasp.

Liz smiled too, about to say something when Kyle pointed at her. “No comments from the peanut gallery.” She rolled her eyes and remained silent when he left the five of them alone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Max broke the awkwardness. “Serena, we appreciate your willingness to help us out. I think we need to find another way, though.”

“Why?” she asked bluntly.

He was taken aback. “Because of Maxwell. I know you’ve been ready to do this for a long time, but his presence kind of changes things, don’t you think?”

Serena laughed. “Yes and no.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Having a baby always changes things, Max. And I’ll admit that the main reason we waited so long was in case of this very situation. But you can’t live your whole life based on a, ‘Maybe someday.’” Her dark eyes regarded him knowingly. “The young lady at your side tells me that’s a lesson you learned earlier than we did.”

Liz emitted a faint laugh and Max shot a sideways glance at her then smiled. “Yeah, events pretty much conspired to bring us together and then she wouldn’t take no for an answer.” His smile broadened at her offended look.

“Didn’t notice you running too hard.”

“Touché,” he conceded. Max turned his attention to the other couple, flushing a little at their indulgent smiles. Attempting to recover his dignity, he asked, “I guess the real question is, what about Zane and Maxwell?”

Zane scowled. “That’s not a question. We go.”

«Am I the only one who wants to stay on Earth?»

«Besides me? No, you’re not, Max. Just because everyone’s willing to go doesn’t mean they want to» She paused, offering him a mental caress. «I do think that you’re the most reluctant, though»

Great. He was the King of a planet he had zero interest in even visiting, never mind trying to govern. Max tried to catch it as he felt himself heave out breath in an automatic sigh, but the resultant sound was still forlorn enough to make him mentally roll his eyes at himself. Grow up, Evans.

Out of the blue, his expression carefully neutral now, Zane inquired, “Max, what’s your educational background?”

“I don’t really have one yet, since I’m starting my senior year of high school in September.”

«What’s that about?»

Liz merely sent bafflement in reply.

“Right. You planning on college?”

“Well, yeah.” He thought of the lunchtime meetings with the guys in preparation to be grilled by Liz’s parents and smiled slightly. “I’m going to major in English Lit, probably minor in Poli-Sci, with the eventual goal of teaching English at the college level.”

An indefinable hint of what might have been disapproval had Max challenging, “What’s your background?”

He smiled arrogantly. “I graduated with honors from Yale with a major in Political Science, minor in Psychology. Served as student council president for my final two years and was heavily involved during the others. And during my graduate degree, also in Poli-Sci. I’ve since served on a number of different boards and committees, both within the federal and state governments and in the private sector. For the last few years, I’ve been the Vice-Chair of the school board that encompasses Roswell. Of course, I’m currently on parental leave.”

Of course,” Max echoed numbly.

The path Zane had just described was the one Max had assumed he himself would have to follow, until Kyle had forced him to recognize that it wasn’t what he wanted. He knew that it nonetheless should still be his path, and only the fact that he had to return to Antar before even applying for college kept him from being crushed by guilt and inadequacy.

«Max» Liz scolded gently.

«Don’t logic me, partner. We both know the truth»

She subsided and he squeezed her arm, grateful for her support.

“Pretty impressive resume, Zane,” he complimented.

Zane nodded. He held Max’s gaze steadily, making Max feel like he were being appraised.

Apparently he was. “You’re not ready, Max.”

“Don’t you think I know that? I’m eighteen, for fuck’s sake!” he exploded, anger and more coloring his speech.

«Why can’t I be older and educated, and God, actually even interested in politics?» he inadvertently projected.

«Hmm. Hold that thought»

Aloud, his lifebonded asked, “Zane, what is it that you want?”

Zane frowned, puzzled. “In regards to what, Liz?”

“It’s more of an existential question. When you think about your life—about who you are, what you’ve done, where you’re going—what do you want? The unvarnished truth, please.”

He smiled at the last proviso then sighed as his mind obviously turned towards answering her question.

“I grew up knowing who and what I was, and that the reason I was on Earth, alone, was because my home planet was engulfed in a nasty civil war. I had a lot of facts but no way to do anything with them. I became interested in politics in a quest to make what I knew make sense, and when it started to, I wanted a way to make it better. Make a difference.”

Liz nodded encouragingly, continuing to ignore Max’s nonverbal inquiries in favor of supporting Zane. Max could see it wasn’t easy for him to be this upfront.

“On the reservation, I was submerged in a culture that has been persecuted and exists in constant danger of extinction. That is part of me, ingrained since birth. Despite it, and all the problems rife in reservation life, my friends and family all wanted normal lives. The American definition of normal never held much appeal for me.”

Max couldn’t hide his surprise and Zane smiled, but there was a bittersweet light in his face that touched an answering chord in Max.

“And then you showed up at the reservation with my childhood necklace. My brother recognized you immediately. How could he not?”

His pained smile broadened as Max realized with a shock that the brother he meant was River Dog.

“That was when we knew for sure that you had survived, Max,” Serena chimed in. “We knew the pods had been stowed away safely in 1947, but we didn’t know anything else about you until you came that night.”

She looked at Zane, gauging something, and concluded quietly, “That’s when we decided to have children, reach for normal.” He nodded in agreement and they shared a meaningful smile.

Max had the feeling that he should be getting some deeper truth from their words, but he had no idea what. Fortunately for him, Liz seemed to understand and she prodded Zane.

“Unvarnished.”

A cynical smirk flashed across the older man’s face and he focused on Max. The sheer intensity and challenge in his gaze threw Max, but it was Zane’s statement that kicked him in the gut.

“I want the throne.”

He knew his utter shock was clearly visible when Serena laughed softly. Zane, in contrast, was incredulous.

“Did it never occur to you that I might?”

Max shook his head, his mind starting to crank busily. He leveled a serious look at his heir.

“Why would I think that you might want to rule Antar, when I don’t?”

“You don’t,” he remarked in disbelief.

“Until last year I didn’t even know I was a King. I didn’t even know the name of my planet, or anything about my native people except that they weren’t human. At that, I am a hybrid, Zane. Half human, with a full skeleton and everything.”

“Why are you going, then?” Serena asked.

He shrugged helplessly. “Because I don’t want anyone else to die. There’s a real chance to stop the war for good and I can’t turn my back on that just because I don’t want to be a King. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I did.”

Zane was nodding with every word. “So, what is it that you want?” he repeated Liz’s phrasing.

Max didn’t need to look at Liz to see her smile, but he did anyway, and smiled in return. “I want to marry Liz and have children with her, and teach my own and others’ kids about the joy of books.” He glanced at Zane. “In short, I want everything you didn’t. I want normal.”

The two men shared a long look. Max saw the resentment he’d noticed earlier fade away and realized that Zane had been angry at having his dreams squashed, something Max could definitely understand. He didn’t break their stare as he asked, “Tomar, you’ve been listening?”

“Yes, your Highness.”

“Honest comparative evaluation, please.” After his largely unsolicited assistance in studying for finals, Max knew the scholar was familiar with the phrase.

“One moment.” A barely suppressed excitement shaded his voice, even when he began reciting in a lecture tone.

“Maxwell Philip Evans, common name Max. Species: hybridized Antarian and human, designed to allow for blending into Earth society and procreation with human females. Age: effectively eighteen, chronologically twelve. Education: high school incomplete, but on schedule for age group; honors student. Extra-curricular activities: none. Current employment: part-time guide at UFO Museum, 1 year. Relevant experience: none. Lifebonded: Elizabeth Claudia Parker; reincarnation of a Priestess of the granolith, though recently released from duty; high school student. Procreative status: lifebonded fertile; pregnancy is blocked until completion of schooling. Other qualifications: re-embodiment of most recent monarch, considered to remain the current King; has undergone Kingmaking ceremony; displays strong sense of right and wrong, intelligence, and compassion.

“Summary: Max is a suitable candidate, who is as yet inexperienced and untried, signaling the necessity of an extended period of adjustment and learning.”

Zane raised an eyebrow at the catalogue of Max’s attributes and shortcomings, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Then it was his turn.
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

“Zathnar Eagle Star, commonly called Zane. Species: full Antarian with additional human genetic material, designed to allow for blending into Earth society and procreation with human females. Age: fifty-three. Education: Honors Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, minor in Psychology, Yale; Masters of Arts, Political Science, Yale. Extra-curricular activities: Student Council President, 2 years; Student Council Representative, 4 years; team member, Varsity Wrestling, 4 years; team member, intramural volleyball, 6 years. Current employment: Vice-Chair, Roswell District School Board, 7 years. Relevant experience: previous employment included positions on various boards, committees, action groups, totaling 31 years in some form of governance. Lifebonded: Serena Running Brook; Priestess of the granolith; Early Childhood Educator. Procreative status: lifebonded fertile; birth of one healthy male child. Other qualifications: first-born son of most recent monarch, who is considered to remain the current King; has undergone Kingmaking ceremony; according to Antarian laws of succession, if no male child is produced by the mated Queen, then the sons of the King’s lifebonded shall be his heirs—as Zan’s only living offspring by his lifebonded, Zane is therefore the Crown Prince of Antar, next in line for the throne; displays strong sense of right and wrong, intelligence, and compassion.

“Summary: Zathnar Eagle Star is a suitable candidate with sufficient knowledge and experience to adapt quickly and easily to the role of King.”

Still holding Zane’s gaze, seeing his growing awareness of where Max was headed, but not yet allowing himself hope, Max made one more request of his Antarian tutor.

“Based on your innate knowledge of Antar and its people, what they will need to end this war and achieve peace and prosperity, and taking all known information into account, please tell us what conclusion you’ve drawn.”

“I am sorry, your Highness. I am forced to conclude that Zane would be a better candidate for the King of Antar.”

Max tamped down ruthlessly on the shivers of excitement in his belly. “You’re not really sorry, are you, Tomar?”

The scholar’s gaze flickered to Liz and he grinned—the first such ‘improper’ expression Max had seen on his face. “No, Max. I am not.”

Max returned his attention to Zane, noting his glow of anticipation.

“Zane?”

He snorted. “Do I want to live my dream instead of yours? Hell yes!”

Max smiled but it faded quickly. He leaned forward, his mien deadly serious. “Zane, this will completely change your life. I want you to be very, very sure that it’s really what you want.” He held up a hand to forestall any comments. “I know what you’ve said, and that you’ve spent your life preparing. But I need to know that you’re sure in your heart.”

Zane tilted his head, subjecting Max to a thorough scrutiny. Again he resisted the urge to squirm under that frank gaze.

“You are certainly not what I expected, Max Evans.”

Max laughed. “Guess we’re even then. What did you expect?”

“Given your age and what I’ve heard about Zan, I thought you’d be hotheaded and arrogant—wholly convinced of your own importance.”

“That’s the kind of attitude that got me killed the first time.” He could feel Liz’s amusement and added self-deprecatingly, “Okay, I can be like that too, as I’m sure Liz or my sister would be only too happy to tell you.”

“No, Max actually tends towards excessive caution. We usually leave the hotheadedness to Michael,” Liz contributed with a smile.

“I heard that!” Michael’s voice sounded from across the room.

They just laughed and continued their conversation.

“Is that why you’re poking at me to be certain?”

Max nodded. “That’s part of it. Mostly, though, it’s because I would be asking you to take on a huge responsibility—a lifelong commitment—and despite my feelings on the matter, it is my responsibility. I have to know that it isn’t my own wishful thinking, my own selfish desires. I want to do what’s right for Antar.”

Zan steepled his fingers, his countenance pensive. He and his wife communicated silently and Serena spoke up.

“Our people have a proverb that translates as something like, ‘The wisest man is he who knows when he needs help and is not too proud to ask for it.’ You’ve shown wisdom beyond your years, Max, and not only today. You may leave Antar in my husband’s hands with a clear conscience.”

Relief rose in a hard wave and Max found himself grinning and squeezing Liz’s hand. Final confirmation that his instinct that this exchange was right, came in the form of Zane’s identical expression. He glanced at Tomar, who also displayed a wide smile.

“How do I abdicate in favor of Zane?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One short ceremony later, friends and family had departed for the Evans home to tell Max and Isabel’s parents and celebrate, leaving Max and Liz to say goodbye. Liz followed Serena while she puttered around the granolith’s sub-chamber, now known to house the bridge controls for the ship that the chamber would become, using the granolith as a power source. She carried Maxwell so that his mother could work freely and together they watched Serena’s every move in total fascination.

“Are you nervous about being the only human?”

“Not really. I’ve had a long time to get used to the idea,” she smiled. “I was terrified when Zane and I first lifebonded, though. Not of him, but of what being with him—loving him, might require of me.”

“Yeah.” Liz blew out a breath, surprised for some reason to learn that Serena had felt that way, too. “So, then it fades in time?”

The older woman straightened from her mechanical tinkering and faced Liz.

“It gets easier, yes, but it will never fade completely, Liz. Max is still Antarian, and despite abdicating he is still royalty. If, God forbid, anything should happen to my husband and son, Max would be called on to rule. You know that.”

She nodded. “I do, and I accept that. I guess I’m tired of feeling like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop, you know?”

“Oh, yes, I know. And I could lie to you and tell you that everything will be safe as houses after we leave Earth, but I respect your intelligence too much.” Serena moved close, placing an arm around Liz’s shoulders. “You won’t be starting at shadows anymore, my friend, but caution will always be necessary. It needn’t take over your life like it has been of late, though. Events will settle soon, and then you will simply need to be watchful.”

Resting against her newfound friend and daughter-in-law of sorts, Liz smiled wistfully. “You know about Future Max, don’t you?”

She laughed. “Of course. Time is a natural property of the granolith, albeit one not often used. You have accomplished the task he set you, dear one, though he did not speak of its true nature.”

Endearments rippled easily from the Native woman’s tongue and suddenly Liz’s eyes filled with tears. The congruency of emotion that Serena had shown was something Liz would never experience with anyone else, not even Maria, because no one else on Earth loved an alien King. “We’ve known each other only a few hours, but I’m going to miss you so!”

They hugged awkwardly, the baby in the middle, and Serena’s eyes shone bright with unshed tears, too.

“And I shall miss you, my younger self. Would that we had more time, but I’ll be bending the rules as it is to ensure that Zane and I reach Antar shortly after Khivar’s death.”

Maxwell gurgled happily and the two women smiled at him. Liz tapped his tiny nose and he waved a fist. His wide hazel eyes were full of life and wonder.

Eyes just like Max’s, and Zane’s.

“’Look into their eyes,’” she quoted in astonished certainty.

“What?”

“The second last verse of the prophecy. ‘The doorway will open / Choose wisely which side / Birth shall decide / Look into their eyes.’ It means that Zane was meant to take Zan’s place all along.”

Serena grinned. “Wonderful! It will comfort both our men to know that. What’s the last verse?”

“It’s not really a verse, just one line: ‘Dor she'ana kevara'ke daletga.’ What, Seri? Do you know what it means?” Her friend seemed agitated.

“Give me your hand.”

Bewildered, Liz allowed Serena to pull her right hand carefully out from beneath the baby, exposing the silver swirl.

“You took Max as your lifemate! Of course. It all makes sense now.” Her sunny smile returned.

“Mind filling me in?”

Black eyes met her own. “You were a thread from dying in the caverns, Liz. The only reason the granolith was able to supply enough energy to heal you after you projected was because I was getting closer to it by the second, and it could use me as a springboard to get to you. Even so, the limitations were severe and the granolith had to allow one soul-bond to dissolve in order to preserve the other. It chose your bond with Max.”

“I wasn’t being punished,” she whispered, knees weak in relief.

“Sweet girl, no! It chose as you had chosen, no more and no less.” Serena rubbed her shoulder soothingly.

“Thank you for telling me. I—I really hadn’t known why, although I was sort of thinking that it was because I’m not going with you—with the granolith. And maybe that is why, ultimately; maybe it all fell out exactly as it should have,” Liz said speculatively.

“Maybe so,” Serena agreed. “You must take care, though, Liz. Your mating with Max will be broken by death. You know that, but perhaps you did not extrapolate it to encompass all death. If you flatline and are subsequently revived, your mating bond will still treat that as a death and it will break.”

Liz gulped; not the best news she could have heard, but better to know. She nodded, taking the advice extremely seriously.

“And that would be a real shame, to confine your young man to celibacy. He was built for sex, that one.”

“Serena!” she gasped, mortified. Now she noticed the teasing gleam in her friend’s eyes.

Serena laughed. “Tell me that he doesn’t fit your body perfectly, that he doesn’t make you wild.”

Liz wasn’t sure she’d ever blushed so hard but she rallied gamely. “That’s just part of his charm.”

“I’m sure it is!”

She had to laugh, and then asked, “Is it like that for you and Zane, too?”

A wicked smile graced Serena’s lips. “Oh, my sweet girl, Zane is a shapeshifter. He always fits perfectly.”

Her eyes grew round; she had never thought about that particular aspect of shapeshifting. She was going to ask another question when Zane and Max crowded into the small room, and her face bloomed even more.

“Liz? What’s the matter?”

“Nothing, Max. I’m fine,” she assured him, smiling when he leaned close and tickled the baby.

“Almost ready, Seri?” Zane asked, clasping his wife. She reached up to kiss him and threw a mischievous look at Liz afterwards. Liz blushed all over again.

“Having a girlfriend moment?” Max murmured close to her ear, full of amusement.

“Yes.” The stab of sorrow took her off-guard.

“I know, sweetness, me too.” Tenderly he kissed her temple.

“To answer the question, yes, the crystal is prepared. We need only activate it now.”

“Let’s do it, then.” Zane kissed her again and then made his way to Max and Liz. Max took the baby and Liz hugged Zane hard.

“My one regret, dear lady, is that I won’t be able to get to know you. Both of you.” His eyes swept up to include Max.

“Same here,” he replied, his throat sounding tight. Liz reluctantly let go of Zane, and moved to hug Serena just as hard.

“Remember to take care of yourself, and of each other,” Serena whispered.

“I will.”

When they stepped back, Serena enfolded Max in her arms for a long moment. Then she retrieved the programmed crystal and the baby sling, settling Maxwell in close to her chest.

Liz watched the two men briefly embrace, thinking that it looked something like someone stepping out of a time portal on two different sides. She followed the others back into the main granolith chamber, where Tomar waited for them.

“I guess it’s time for us to go.” Max dropped back a little to hold onto Liz as he spoke.

“Yes, my dear, it unfortunately is,” Serena smiled sadly.

“I want…I want you to have this. If it’s possible, maybe you could give it to my mother, so that she understands why I stayed,” he said nervously, unbuckling his belt and tugging free the leather sheath. Carefully Max drew the dagger and presented it to Serena, laid flat across his palms.

“The blade of love,” she breathed.

“Pardon me?”

She looked at Liz. “The last verse you quoted to me, in Old Antarian. It means, ‘Blade of love shall reign triumphant.’ Thank you, Max. It is a Kingly gift.”

He colored as he moved back, and Serena resheathed the sharp steel. “You should know, it isn’t just from mine and Liz’s lifemate ceremony. I also used it to make Michael my blood brother and heir, as we discussed. And it’s how I killed Khivar, too.”

Zane’s eyes widened. “You used a love blade to kill?”

Liz could feel Max’s confusion at their surprise, twinned in herself. “It guided me to do so.”

Zane nodded, awe gusting through his expression. “I believe it. I’ve seen your relationship and Seri has felt your bond; we know it’s a strong one. That strength imbues the metal, Max. Your lifebond and mate bond with Liz, and your blood bond with Michael…together those represent formidable power. This will prove not only that Khivar is dead, but that you have blessed me as King.”

Max smiled. “Maybe it’s still guiding me. I’m glad I thought of it.”

Liz wrapped an arm around his waist in silent support, and his arm went around her shoulders. “I think we’d better go. If we wait any longer, I’m just going to start crying.” Her chin trembled already as it was. “Good luck, and I wish you wonderful lives together.”

Max nodded, echoing the sentiment, and the other couple waved. Serena looked too choked up to speak as Liz and Max turned and exited the granolith chamber. They crawled through the pods and Max stopped briefly to finger one, in farewell. Then through the grating cave door, pressing on the silver handprint one last time, and down to the base of the hill near the Jeep where they watched as something stealthily blotted out the stars in silence for a few seconds, and then the two lovers were left alone in the desert night to begin their freedom.
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

Well, everyone, it's been a freaking long haul, but here, FINALLY, is the conclusion. :D behrfanny, this is for you babe, my eternal cheerleader and friend. And thank you to all of you for sticking with me through the absolute ridiculousness of the ups and downs of writing this epic. Much love to every single one of you. :)

Now, please excuse me while I go do a happy dance! :lol:
hugs, Tas

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 49 - CONCLUSION

“Who gives this woman to be married to this man?”

Max half turned in place to watch as Liz’s parents rose from their pew and spoke, “We do.” He smiled at the suspicious brightness in Mr. Parker’s eyes, but knew that he and Liz’s father both understood that Max would take wonderful care of his only daughter. And vice versa, of course—Liz would take care of him, too. Wasn’t that the whole point?

[[We do]] The unexpected echo surprised him as Maria, Alex and Kyle mindspoke in unison. His smile broadened as Liz gave a little gasp and her eyes filled with tears.

Then he was turning to face the other side of the church as his own parents stood up.

“Who gives this man to be married to this woman?”

“We do,” they answered. His mother beamed at him, and his father looked nearly as pleased. She had been his and Liz’s champion just as she’d said she would, when they’d chosen to marry this summer before heading off to college. Yet right now she wobbled on the verge of tears, too.

It wasn’t like they were losing him, or the Parkers were losing Liz. Not really. Getting married didn’t mean that you left your families behind. What it did mean, was that you pledged to each other your commitment to begin a new family, one connected to the old but an entity all its own. A life that belonged to just the two of you.

[[We do]] The chorus from Michael, Isabel and Tess wasn’t as out of the blue, but it pierced his heart nonetheless.

[[Tell them thank you for us, please]] he requested of Liz.

[[Max]] He looked at Isabel, finding a grin spreading across his sister’s lovely face. [[Liz doesn’t need to say anything. We heard you just fine!]]

[[You…what?]]

[[Last year, before everything got so crazy and they all left, Tomar said something about you needing the human convention of marriage, Max. Maybe that’s why you never completed the circle until now. Even though we were tied together so closely, it wasn’t legal yet—it wasn’t finished. Now we’re finishing it]] Liz smiled luminously.

[[Yeah, we are]] Max returned her smile, his chest feeling tight at her beauty and the love that shone in her face. [[But we’d better pay attention to the service!]]

A small laugh escaped her throat as they turned to face the white-haired pastor who had married Nancy Gardener and Jeff Parker once upon a time. He graced them with a twinkle and continued to speak, leading them through the formal ceremony until it came time to speak their vows.

“Repeat after me, please. ‘I, Maxwell Philip Evans, take you, Elizabeth Claudia Parker, as my wife.’”

Max cleared his throat, unaccountably nervous. But his voice remained firm as he echoed Pastor Thomas’s words. “I, Maxwell Philip Evans, take you, Elizabeth Claudia Parker, as my wife.” He listened to the next phrase and continued, “I will laugh with you in joy, grieve with you in sorrow, and grow with you in love, for as long as we both shall live.”

He glanced beside him as Michael produced the rings, offering his best friend a brief smile at the exhalation of relief. Then the slim gold band meant for Liz was placed in his hand.

“Elizabeth, wear this ring as my beloved, and as my true friend.”

Max slipped it easily over her knuckle, onto the whitened circle of skin made ready by her emerald engagement ring. It fit perfectly, a fact he had known since he had fitted it himself, but he couldn’t tear his eyes away. Somehow this single image burned away the fog of unreality that had characterized the day so far—the feeling that they were only playing dress-up. It made it intensely, intimately real.

He could not stop the awed jubilation that swept through him, leaving him giddy with excitement. Liz’s expression danced in reflected joy as she responded to the pastor’s prompts.

“I, Elizabeth Claudia Parker, take you, Maxwell Philip Evans, as my husband. I will laugh with you in joy, grieve with you in sorrow, and grow with you in love, for as long as we both shall live.”

She accepted the other gold band and slid it home, repeating, “Maxwell, wear this ring as my beloved, and as my true friend.”

A matched set, plain, his larger than hers to accommodate his larger hands. They shimmered golden in the flickering candles and the jeweled sunlight filtered through stained glass, mesmerizing Max. Two hands, two symbols, two people joined forever.

It was everything he’d ever wanted, and it had really happened, today.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In defiance of tradition, Maria had hijacked the microphone in order to perform her maid of honor duties before the best man could say anything. Liz had to grin at her best friend’s barely contained energy. She shone in the slim-fitting black cocktail dress, its white neckline accented by a jaunty red bow tie—their concession to the childhood tuxedo pact.

Maria’s speech had been short and sweet, and not too embarrassing. But Liz had known all that beforehand. What she didn’t have a clue about was what Michael had planned, and as he kissed Maria’s cheek and took the podium, butterflies erupted in her stomach. His impudent wink didn’t help any. He wouldn’t really say something awful, would he? Not today!

“I have it on good authority that out of all the millions of details and stuff that can go wrong when planning a wedding, there was nothing that made the bride more nervous than the prospect of me opening my big mouth,” Michael began, smiling at the scattered laughter.

“Most of you know me by now; in case you don’t, I’m Michael. I’ve been friends with Max since we were little kids. But when our friendship really got put to the test was in high school. You know, after we’d discovered girls. Okay, after I’d discovered girls, and Max had discovered Liz.

“You see, I spent hours upon hours hanging out in this diner called the Crashdown. Spending money I didn’t have; eating food I didn’t want; drinking enough coffee to make me a better bet to electrify the entire town than a nuclear plant. Why’d I do all that? Well, because my best buddy had a wicked crush on this girl who worked there. Now I’m not saying that all that time was wasted. I mean, I ended up with a job and a girlfriend of my own! But in the beginning, that’s pretty much why I was there: because Max needed someone to hang with him while he perfected that whole ‘I’m not really staring at you, I just happened to be glancing in your direction’ thing,” Michael drawled. Liz placed her hand on Max’s thigh under the table, trying not to giggle at his red face.

“So eventually, Max gets up the nerve to talk to our friendly waitress Liz. I’m talking real conversation here folks, not trading Bio notes. And they kinda sorta started to date. And then they kinda sorta broke up. And then they…you get the picture. Back and forth they went, together, not together, together. It was enough to drive you nuts! Especially with all the moping involved with the not together parts,” Michael complained. Liz was also blushing now, but still smiling, and she knew Max was too.

Michael had the crowd in the palm of his hand as he continued, “So I bet you’re all thinking to yourselves, hey, that sounds ordinary enough. Dating couples do that all the time, especially when they’re that young, right? And you would be right, they do—but with Max and Liz, it was different.

“The thing is, no matter how many times they moved apart, they couldn’t stay that way. It’s like they were trying to breathe underwater. And it didn’t matter what it was that drew them apart in the first place, because they always came back to each other for the same reason: love. Now, admittedly Roswell’s a small town and I’m no expert, but I’ve never seen anyone love anything like these two love each other. Not you two over there, who’ve been married for fifty years; not any of you moms out there with your kids; no one and nothing can touch it,” Michael declared passionately.

Liz beamed even through the tears that poured down her cheeks now, exchanging a look of astonishment with Maria while Max squeezed Liz’s hand in a death grip in an effort to control his own impulsive tears. Apparently Michael had not even told Maria what he had planned to say.

Michael raised his glass as he prepared to wind down his speech. “So here we all are today, celebrating the marriage of two of the people that I hold dearest. A lot of the times when you get to this point, you look back and you think, ‘How the hell did I get here, standing in front of all you people?’ Not me. I might be only nineteen but I have to tell you, Liz, I’ve been seeing you look gorgeous in white for ten years now, in Maxwell’s eyes.

“Cheers.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You know what I think the best part of this wedding is?”

“Mmm, what?” Liz inquired, smiling, as they turned in slow circles on the dance floor.

Max lowered his head and brushed his lips across hers. “I’m getting cheered whenever I kiss you in public.”

“As opposed to the usual grumbling?” she laughed.

“Exactly!”

Liz reciprocated his tender gesture, allowing the kiss to deepen slightly, then pressed her cheek to his shoulder.

He held her closer, even with the impediment of her full skirt. Max knew they were the center of attention—had been all day—but it didn’t seem relevant somehow. His heart had swelled so full of Liz that he truly took little notice of anyone else. There wasn’t room.

Liz sighed and he had to kiss her temple at hearing the contentment saturating the small sound. “Me, too,” he whispered.

They swayed gently, lost in each other and the music. After dinner, Liz had removed the floaty veil from the circle of white rosebuds crowning her dark head, and now he was free to explore the bare skin the plunging back of her gown showed off so beautifully.

Except that as his hands inched past the satin, Max found not the smoothness of flesh but the texture of more fabric. And lying sleekly against her spine was a row of tiny satin buttons, holding the sheer mesh together. “Uh, Liz? There’s a hidden zipper, right?”

A low laugh was his answer. “You’re not serious. There’s no zipper?”

Liz lifted her head to smile mischievously at him. “Usually, yes. You know I had my dress custom-made, though, and I specifically requested the buttons only.”

Vague flutterings of panic assailed Max at the thought of fumbling with the very small fasteners. “You’re putting a lot of faith in my fingers.”

She laughed again. “I don’t want you to use your hands, Max.”

No hands? Surely she didn’t expect him to undo all these with his teeth! He would ruin the beautiful fabric.

“Max,” she said softly, waiting until he focused his whole attention on her. «What I expect, is for you to undress me from across the room»

Breath left him in a rush. Liz wanted him to use his powers—trusted him to do so. He felt a hard prickle in his throat. Rather than chancing speech, Max leaned down and kissed Liz, letting the tenderness of his mouth on hers express his wonder, his joy in her.

At length they broke for air. Liz sparkled up at him and teased, “Now that was something to cheer about!”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Alone for probably the first minute since she had showered this morning, Liz sank into her chair with a sigh of relief. Her feet ached despite having discarded her shoes ages ago. She’d been having too much fun to sit down until now.

She knew that she would never be able to remember every detail about the day. Already it had begun to blur, smoothing into a rose-scented whirlwind from which emerged several sharply defined highlights. Not necessarily the moments she would have expected to stick out, either.

The emergency pizza run at lunchtime, when her restaurant-owner parents were too frazzled to think about food. The sound of her father’s voice when he complimented her, the first time he saw her all dressed. Maria’s reminder to switch her engagement ring back to her right hand, where it hadn’t been for over a year.

The way Max’s jaw had dropped, just a little bit, when Liz had appeared in the church, and how when they locked gazes, the rest of the people had faded into the background. His hand cupping her face in the park, forgetting that they were being photographed. The happy flutter in her stomach when Sheriff Valenti announced them at the reception, and she walked into the room as Mrs. Max Evans, arm-in-arm with her husband.

The beginning of forever.

Liz smiled at Max as he waded through the crowd to their table, drink glasses in hand. When he reached her, she asked, “What was with the big crowd around you? There were too many people for me to see what was going on!”

Max laughed. “Apparently the bride and groom aren’t allowed to get their own drinks, did you know that? So Alex and Kyle decided to duel for the ‘honor.’”

“Excuse me?” Liz paused with her water halfway to her mouth. A duel? That sounded kind of dangerous.

His mouth stretched in a wide grin. “Oh, yeah, but not a swordfight. They composed bad love poetry.”

“They what?”

“You heard me right! Alex won for the worst drivel I think I’ve ever heard. And don’t worry, Maria’s mom got the whole thing on videotape so we can blackmail at our leisure in the future.” He laughed again, and Liz joined in.

“Who would’ve thought that a little drink run would get so exciting? Especially for water and cherry Coke, not even alcohol!”

“Yeah, thanks again for this.” Max indicated his flavored cola. “It never would have occurred to me to ask the caterer to stock some.”

Liz batted her eyelashes. “Well, I do know what my husband likes.” Her smile grew sultry as his eyes lit with desire, tinged with possessiveness.

“Say that again.”

“I know what you like?” she repeated, teasing him.

He rolled his eyes. “The other part.”

“My husband,” Liz sighed. His hand rose to cup her cheek, his thumb caressing oh, so tenderly.

“My wife.”

Absorbed in each other, they both jumped when a throat cleared behind Max. Brody offered an apologetic smile and Liz waved at him to sit down.

“Are you having a good time?” Max inquired.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry to interrupt you, but I needed a private moment to speak to you.”

Liz tensed. “You’re not…” she trailed off, not naming names just in case.

He nodded. “Yes, it’s Larek. But don’t panic. I’m here simply as an observer, to report back on your union to the King and Queen.”

Relief and joy surged through her, colored by melancholy and twinned with Max’s emotions. “They made it.”

Larek grinned, the unabashedly happy expression seeming out of place on Brody. “Yes, indeed they did. Serena’s plan worked beautifully: there were minimal casualties, nearly all confined to the upper echelon of Khivar’s advisors. Zane is firmly established on the throne now and governmental progress is being made. It’s slow, of course, but the planet is stabilized, the economy beginning to pick up. The war is over.”

They both saw Max close his eyes, but only Liz felt the lift in his spirit at the news; at this tangible confirmation that his decision last summer had been the right one.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

Larek shook his head. “No, thank you both, for loving each other in two lifetimes and allowing the opportunity for peace to be born of that love.”

Tears shimmered in her vision and Max linked his fingers through hers in wordless support. He addressed Larek. “How are they, on a personal level?”

“Good,” Larek nodded. “Little Maxwell is growing so fast. He doesn’t seem to know how to walk, only how to run at full speed, anywhere in the palace he wants to go. They certainly have their hands full with him, and another on the way.”

“Oh! Serena’s pregnant again?”

“Yes, she’s in her fourth month, I believe. Perfectly healthy. Tomar makes sure she takes care of herself alongside his duties as tutor. Of course, his tutoring resembles playing more than anything else at this point, but Maxwell will continue to grow into his studies as well.”

“I could totally see Tomar as a nanny,” Max chuckled. “Larek, it means so much that you came today. We’d pretty much given up hope that we’d ever hear anything.”

The older man smiled, a bit sadly. “I’m glad to be the bearer of glad tidings, Max. I’m afraid that this will be my last visit, however. Brody is aging, and his heart is not strong enough to continue to serve as a vessel anymore without the potential for damage. I have kept visual tabs on you sometimes in other vessels, but for true discourse and information, I wouldn’t wish you to trust that it were me should I choose someone other than Brody. If a dire situation were to arise, I would chance it, but I honestly don’t foresee the need.”

Liz nodded, her heart aching a little at knowing that this meant they would truly be cut off from Zane and Serena for good. But the knowledge of how they’d made a successful life on Antar soothed the upswing of grief. “I think that seems wise, Larek. We appreciate everything you’ve done for us over the years.” She hesitated, then, buoyed by Max’s warm hand in hers, continued, “Please let everyone know how much we love them.”

“I will,” he promised. “Serena will perform the cleansing when I return and then everyone will share it.”

Surprise jolted her, echoed in Max. “Pardon?”

Larek looked at their shocked faces and laughed. “Ah, I see that Tomar was correct in his suspicion that he had badly explained the concept. It is an emotional connection, akin to sharing flashes except one-sided—only the priestess sees anything. It does not involve the physical act of copulation.” He shrugged. “It is, however, a true intimacy, and not to be taken lightly. She will be able to lift the images of today from my memory and create a memory cube, one anyone will be able to play. Something like a home video, I believe.”

“Oh.” Boy had she misinterpreted the explanation she’d been given! Not that it mattered anyway, since she had ceased to be a priestess, a fact that no longer bothered Liz. She smiled, remembering how Max had been so determined not to stand in her way that he’d prepared to grit his teeth and try to bear the thought of sharing her with other people. «I love you» she sent, knowing he’d pick up on the reasoning behind her abrupt declaration.

«Back at ya, partner» he replied, squeezing her hand.

Larek rose, his smile firmly in place but losing some luster. “I must return now, and let Brody recover from my intrusion. Should you choose to inform him of the truth, you have my permission to do so, and explain who I am and what circumstances have required me to do over the years.”

“Thank you,” Max said, clearly not having expected that. “I hope we won’t need to, now that Antar has achieved peace. Earth will hopefully remain peaceful as well.”

Liz nodded agreement. “Truthfully, we’ve decided not to tell anyone else.”

He tilted his head quizzically. “Am I correct in recalling that your parents do not know, Liz?”

“You are, yes. Max’s parents and the Sheriff are the only adults that know. My parents…well, I believe it to be an unnecessary risk unless they are involved in a situation which calls for absolute honesty on this subject.” She smiled, interpreting his slight frown as disappointment on her behalf. “It’s okay, Larek, really. It was my decision and Max has agreed with me.” Reluctantly, but he had finally agreed.

She and Max rose, he to shake Larek’s hand, and Liz to briefly hug him. They watched, hand in hand, as Brody’s figure cut through the crowd and disappeared from the ballroom, knowing that in the future, the only soul looking out from his eyes would be that of Max’s erratic but sweet-natured boss.

“Would you like to dance, Mrs. Evans?” Max inquired gently, his arm around her shoulders holding her pressed close.

“I would, yes.” She shook off the light sadness and as they stepped down off the dais that supported the head table, she turned a little to lean into Max’s body and pulled his head down for a kiss.

Languorously Liz tasted him, that sensuous mouth that felt new and familiar all at once, the sleek texture of his tongue twining around hers in a potent reminder that this man was her life, and she loved him.

“What was that for?” he asked when at last she released him, his eyes glazed over and his lips even redder than before. All hint of sorrow burned away in the rush of bliss.

Liz laughed and answered him. “That, partner, was for love.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Chapter 49 - CONCLUSION cont.

Post by Tasyfa »

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Love of my life
You are all I ever wanted
To be with you
Is all I ever really wanted

You
You’ve made my life a fairy-tale
You’ve added love
To a life that was so stale

And know that I’ll be here
Always for you
When you need a friend

I give all of myself to you
Only you
My dream come true

Liz had chosen the song for their first dance as a married couple, and Max had not been surprised when the beloved melody of ‘I Shall Believe’ had begun to play, in homage to those other selves who had been forced to relinquish this same shining love. But their last dance of the evening, that had been Max’s choice, and it paid tribute to this Liz—his Liz. To his wife.

One last turn on the dance floor with over a hundred people crowded around, encircling them with warm wishes and friendship. When the music faded, they made their way to where both of their parents stood near the doorway, their progress slowed by many hugs and handclasps. Max didn’t think he’d ever had a day when so many people had touched him in some fashion.

The second they reached the doorway, Mrs. Parker pulled Liz into her arms and Mrs. Evans held out hers for Max. He smiled and hugged her hard.

“Thanks for everything.”

“Oh, honey. I’d say, ‘Anytime,’ but I know this is the one and only.” She sounded near tears—again.

He drew back and grinned, pointing to an entwined couple with his chin. “Don’t worry, Mom, I think you might get your chance with Isabel sooner than you think.”

She smiled tremulously. “I’m losing my babies.”

Oh, boy, Max thought to himself. “You’re not, Mom. You’ll always be our mother, no matter what. And someday I plan to give you grandchildren. Okay, help Liz to give them,” he winked. Mrs. Evans finally laughed.

Pleased with himself, Max briefly hugged his father, shook hands with Mr. Parker and submitted to an unexpected hug from Mrs. Parker, while Liz reversed his route through the parents. At last they exited through the door, where the limousine waited to whisk them to a hotel near the Albuquerque airport.

Liz laid her hand on his arm, stopping their forward motion, and he turned to look at her.

She fairly glowed in the starlight.

“I can’t believe how much we crammed into one day,” she smiled.

Max brought her hand to his lips, kissing her knuckle below her twinned rings. The tiny emerald twinkled amidst the double bands of gold. “I know.”

Gazing at her, he felt her begin to gather threads of consciousness to her, and an amazed joy speared Max at the clarity as for the first time, he experienced the communications circle exactly as Liz did.

Inside the ballroom, six figures separated soundlessly from the crowd around them, drawing inward and then out into the mental landscape shared by four lifebonded couples. By one family.

Alex and Isabel were still dancing, planning to stay until the very last second so that Isabel could supervise the dismantling of everything. His sister was not, however, wound tight with nerves or the impulse to micromanage; she relaxed in Alex’s arms instead, laughing at his impressions of the other party guests.

Kyle and Tess were at the bar, getting teased about Kyle’s earlier loss to Alex. Until Tess recited a certain Valentine’s poem off by heart and the ribbing stopped, replaced by vague admiration and two glasses of the requested soda.

Michael and Maria were in a corner, arguing about the talent level of the DJ. Well, and kissing, which meant that Michael was losing. Maria allowed the distraction, knowing it for what it was and smiling about it. He couldn’t win an argument about music, anyway; that was her turf. The body count in Braveheart, now that was all Michael’s!

And Max and Liz stood still outside, breathing the perfume of night and feeling whole. She smiled at him, this living beauty in white, and Max mindspoke to them all. [[Thank you, all of you]]

The words were simple but the message understood, and blended emotions spiraled high into the desert. Liz brought them back to themselves and each other as she remarked brightly, [[And if you contact either one of us in the next week, it will be a life or death situation: yours!]]

They shared a silent burst of laughter and reassurance, and then Max and Liz climbed into the back of the limo and began their journey together.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Alone in the hotel room, Liz felt refreshed from the short nap she’d had on the drive here. Max, too, had slept a little. Her heart jumped when he came back into the room with a bucket full of ice.

“The machine is way down at the other end of the hall, but since we only have one bottle of virgin champagne, this should be enough ice. Liz?” Max turned around from the desk where he was fiddling when she didn’t say anything, and she knew the moment her feelings hit him. His eyes darkened in immediate response.

“Right, I’d forgotten your predilection for messy formalwear.” He glanced down at his untucked shirt, the sleeves rolled up almost to his elbows and the neck open, bowtie dangling loosely.

“Yeah,” she murmured, staring at him hungrily. They had both agreed to the pre-wedding period of abstinence, but that hadn’t made it much easier, nor left her wanting him any less.

“Would you like me to start now?” he asked. Liz didn’t understand what he meant until she felt a handful of buttons pop open along her back, and she shivered.

“Um, I think we should do presents first.” It wasn’t completely her first choice, not with the way Max was looking at her, but she needed to get it out of the way before they lost themselves in each other.

He smiled, and a few more buttons popped. “I’m already unwrapping what I want most.”

“Max,” she pleaded. He gave in gracefully, his expression acquiring a different sort of excitement, and she felt her dress tighten as he refastened it.

“Okay, but you open mine first.”

“Fine.” Perfect, in fact. She retrieved the small box she had for him, and waited for him to do the same. They exchanged and Liz tore off the ribbons keeping hers closed.

Inside, nestled against blue velvet, sparkled two delicate silver chains from which dangled tiny crystal stars. Her hand went to her throat, where the necklace from Michael and Isabel remained even today.

“It’s a bracelet and anklet, to match your necklace. But just ordinary earthly quartz crystal this time, I swear!”

“Oh, Max,” Liz breathed, lifting out the bracelet and fighting back tears. “Would you?”

Of course.” Carefully he fastened the silver around her wrist, then performed the same task around her ankle, wriggling his eyebrows in a comical leer when he raised her skirt above her knee. Liz laughed.

“Silly.”

Max agreed with a grin then the quality of his smile changed, growing poignant. “They look perfect on you. I’m glad you like them.”

“How could I not?” She leaned forward and kissed him gently. “Shall we have some champagne before you open yours?”

His quizzical look told her that Max knew how nervous she felt, but he nodded agreeably and twisted open the chilled bottle, pouring two glasses and returning to sit in the chair beside her perch on the bed.

The fizzy sweetness cooled Liz’s throat and calmed her nerves. She smiled as he ripped off the wrapping paper and halted momentarily, then shot her an amused glance. He opened the box, obviously assuming that the contents differed from the package, and his smile faltered in confusion when they matched.

“Liz? I don’t get it. Why a box of condoms? Some kind of nostalgia because we used to use this kind?”

Max looked at her, his eyes taking in her unconscious movement to curve her hands across her belly, and comprehension slammed into him. “You had Isabel remove the blockage.”

“Yes,” she nodded. Her nervousness made sense to him now, although he couldn’t deny his surprise. “The condoms are for their usual purpose, contraception, if we decide we want to use them.”

If we decide… Max cleared his throat. “So if I’m understanding this correctly, you’re willing to take our chances without using anything, but only if it’s okay with me.”

“Exactly.”

“I don’t know what to say. I was expecting, I don’t know, maybe a tie tack or another photograph for my collection. I wasn’t prepared for this.” Max reined in the urge to babble nonsense. His wife—his wife—was asking him a serious question here.

“I know that, Max.” Liz took his hand with a gentle smile. “I’ve thought about this a lot. I know we’re young still, but, if I’m totally honest, I’ve wanted to start a family since we met Zane and Serena, and little Maxwell. Even if our memories of our former lives have faded away since the granolith left, I can’t forget the feelings so easily.”

“I wouldn’t want us to forget, sweetness.” He took a deep breath, his mind racing. “Okay, we know from Serena that pregnancy will proceed normally, and our children will be pretty much like me, human with some extra genetic material, so we should be fine on that score. I can monitor you, and heal you if there are any complications…what?” Only as he paused did he see the tears shimmering in her eyes and feel a tremendous wash of love.

“Is that a yes?”

Max laughed. “It only seems fair. I proposed marriage, you propose kids.” He lifted her hand to his mouth, brushing her knuckles softly. “You already know how I feel, Liz: the same way you do. It’s not going to be easy but we’ll make it work.”

She sniffled and he moved to kneel in front of her. “Hey, no crying, partner. This is a decision to feel good about.”

“I know. I can’t help it!” Liz buried her face against his shoulder and Max held her tightly, kind of misty-eyed himself.

It was a big step, but it wasn’t as unexpected as he’d initially thought. They had discussed the possibility many times in the last year. After all, one reason among many that they had chosen to undergo the lifemate ceremony despite its imposed limitations had been because it guaranteed them the ability to have healthy children together. And yes, they were young, but they weren’t alone; they had a close-knit support group built right in. Plus, with Zane and Serena’s pooled savings, money they had no use for on Antar, Max and Liz wouldn’t need to scrape by. They could manage a comfortable living while still attending classes, and go from there.

Max’s one dream had always been simply to be with Liz. Hers had been to go to Harvard and study biology. Combined, these became their new life plan: two married students in Boston, beginning a family.

As Max had often thought in the time since he learned about Liz’s wayward visitor from the future, life was sweet.

“I love you,” he whispered, and Liz lifted her head to seek his mouth. Her lips rubbed against his invitingly.

«I love you» she echoed when his tongue slipped between her teeth.

Gentler emotions could hold out only so long before the desire he’d been repressing for weeks charged in and took over. Max skated one hand down Liz’s back, splitting apart her dress effortlessly, then speared his fingers through her hair to hold her steady so he could thoroughly taste every crevice of her mouth.

“God, how did we wait so long?” she moaned, returning his kisses.

“I have no idea, but it’s never happening again,” he answered fervently.

Her legs parted to cradle him closer and Max moved forward, his free hand creeping up under the heavy satin of her skirt. His fingers found bands of lace across the tops of her thighs, the luxuriously trimmed stockings held up by narrow garters.

“It’s a good thing I didn’t hike your dress this high at the reception,” he whispered unsteadily.

Liz laughed. “I know.”

Nimbly he unfastened the garters, removing the whole garment, and raised her skirt to puddle across her hips. Then he ducked his head and began tugging on the lace bands with his teeth, pulling one stocking down to her knee before he attended to the other half of the pair.

He moved slowly and Liz’s breathing quickened at the maddening glide of his mouth down her thighs, the backs of her knees, her ankles. Max removed her new anklet for the time it took to liberate her foot of its nylon prison. Her skin tingled in awareness as he replaced it, feeling each tiny star as it brushed against her. The tingle grew, spreading to encompass her, as he repeated the process with her panties, the skimpy lace bunched against his chin.

And then, having freed her body from all but the billowing white gown, Max slipped his palms underneath her hips and lifted her to his mouth. And licked.

“Oh, God!” Liz fell back, arching in supplication. She couldn’t even see him for the froth of satin and tulle scrunched around her waist but she could feel each small motion of his tongue on her, in her, the light suction as he pursed his lips. The growing pressure spiraling to a crushing tension that had her vibrating head to toe, waiting anxiously for that last little push. When she thought that she could not possibly go another second without a reprieve, Max closed his teeth on her sensitive flesh.

Detonation.

How he had missed her taste, the feel of her coming apart under his mouth! He withdrew as her climax ebbed, needing her fiercely, unable to wait any more. Her legs twitched and relaxed while he frantically worked at his clothing, throwing it off to one side in a heap. Finally Max pulled her limp form through the circle of her loosened gown and with a wave of his hand, sent the breathtaking satin flying to the nearest chair.

“Max!” Liz gasped, almost laughing. She would have laughed except that she felt the same urgency he did, and so as he picked her up and brought her to lie on the bed, she lifted her lips to his in a soft kiss.

“I love you, sweetness,” he rasped, voice husky and thick with desire.

She replied wordlessly, guiding him into her with a choked moan and a loving hand. His low groan thrilled her, imbuing her with a sense of power as they began to move in unison, his hips thrusting hard against her inner thighs, his cock pushing deep inside.

He sucked on her neck, her ear, pressed nibbling kisses to her jaw line as he felt their lifebond open wide, her love and pleasure flooding in, filling him as surely as he filled her. Max gave himself up freely to their total joining, all the dusty corners that he didn’t always share, because there was nothing holding him back now. He belonged to Liz, wholly and completely, and it was with that reverberating thought that he shuddered in release, emptying his essence into his wife’s clenching body, merging his cells with her own.

They lay spent in silence for a long while. Liz loved this time, the feel of him relaxing into her in satiation, but there came a point when he grew too heavy and she pushed at his arm. Max rolled easily to the side and she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Do you think you conceived?” he asked sleepily.

She smiled, both at his tone and at the question. “It’s too early to tell, Max. Even if one little swimmer was, like, an Olympian, there wouldn’t really be anything noticeable yet—just a slightly bigger cell.” Liz yawned. “But if I did, in twenty-four hours or so the zygote should have implanted itself in my uterus and you would probably be able to detect a difference with your powers.”

He remained quiet after she answered, and finally she looked up at him to find a broad grin on his face. “What?”

“That’s the scientist I know and love.”

She had to laugh. “You’re stuck with me now, buddy.”

Max stroked the length of her hair, his mien growing more serious. Yet there was a lightness to him even then, one that had been born more than a year ago when Liz had fulfilled her own destiny as a priestess meant to cleanse her King. That surcease had only grown in the intervening months. Michael sometimes teased him about being ‘Max lite,’ but she knew—they all knew—that it covered a deep appreciation of the path Max had chosen, and his ability to be happy now. An ability they had all come to share, despite lifelong convictions that it would never be possible.

“Thank God,” he finally responded, and Liz kissed her husband, savoring the taste of his new title as much as the well-known taste of his mouth.

“I love you, Max.” Smiling, she added the nickname he’d given her long ago, that had become both the blueprint for and the expression of their relationship.

“Partner.”

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins
Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Tasyfa »

Er, well I just checked and the soundtrack is *not* posted, so here it is!
hugs, Tas

Soundtrack: The Forging of a Lifebond

1. I Shall Believe (Sheryl Crow)
2. Dream Come True (Frozen Ghost)
3. Blind Faith (Warrant)
4. Beautiful (Faith Hill)
5. Feels Like Home (Chantal Kreviazuk)
6. Still the One (Shania Twain)
7. Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World (Israel Kamakawiwi'ole) (M&M)
8. Amazed (Lonestar)
9. Thank You for Loving Me (Bon Jovi)
10. Sometimes When We Touch (Dan Hill) (M&M)
11. With Arms Wide Open (Creed)
12. If You Could See What I See (Geoff Moore & the Distance) (A&L)
13. I Knew I Loved You (Savage Garden)
14. This Way (Jewel) (All)
15. Love of My Life (Jim Brickman & Michael W. Smith)
16. I Could Not Ask for More (Edwin McCain)
17. At Last (Etta James)
18. From This Moment On (Shania Twain)
~Henry Jenkins