Let Love In (M/L,AU,Adult) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Let Love In (M/L,AU,Adult) (Complete)

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

Winner - Round 10

Diane Evans

Title: Let Love In

Author: Tanya

Disclaimer: I don't own anything...except my thoughts. Title is not mine, it belongs to the Goo Goo Dolls.

Category: M/L AU-No Aliens...we are far from Roswell here people

Summary: - Liz Parker is a sarcastic, single woman who believes that love is nothing but a myth...so what happens when it lands on her doorstep?

Very Special Thanks to: Andre (Drogyn) my kick ass beta...I will promise not to work you too hard *lol* and to Reamhar for her last minute insights and little tweaks I made before posting! Tiffany and La'Shon just cause I love you guys this is for you!

A/N - Yes...I think I told some of you I was taking a break from writing after I finished my current WIP's, however about two weeks ago I bought the new Goo Goo Dolls CD, whom I just adore, anyway I heard the song and this is what came of it. It won't be any longer than 10 parts and it will be posted once a week on Wednesdays. This is something light and fluffy for the summer...anyway, I hope you enjoy

<center>
Banner by: Me</center>

Chapter One

“Love is pure, and rich and…” she trailed off in thought, her pen falling limp in her fingers.

“Maybe you should quit while you’re ahead, because that was terrible.”

“I didn’t see anyone asking you,” she ground out with an annoyed huff.

“Still, that was terrible,” the stranger added smugly.

“And who may I ask are you?” she asked flippantly, placing her notebook down on the table beside her. It was a warm summer morning and she had two weeks to get thirty cards written. Under normal circumstances that would be an easy feat, but with the ruckus from her new neighbor moving in, it was making it damn near impossible to get anything accomplished.

“I’m Max Evans, and it appears that I am your new neighbor.” Nice voice, so soft and smooth, it was a shame he was so damn irritating, she thought.

“That’s nice. Now could you please leave me alone? Because last time I remember, I didn’t invite you onto my porch.” Up until that moment she hadn’t looked up to see her current cause of annoyance, but when she did, she expelled a soft gasp. How’d she not noticed him earlier? He’d been moving for close to two hours. He was wearing a white T-shirt, which was soaked all the way through and a pair of cargo shorts, both of which showed off how well sculpted that body beneath them was. Surely she wasn’t that distracted.

“Thanks,” he offered with a wink and she rolled her eyes.

“Weren’t you leaving?” she asked, suddenly deciding that this Max Evans was a very good-looking man, but he wasn’t that special.

“Actually, no. That is, not until I get your name,” he said with a smile on his face that almost made her want to smile back at his cockiness. Almost.

“You know what?” she asked with excitement showing on her face, but sarcasm lacing her words.

“What’s that, gorgeous?” he asked licking his lips in a way that made her entire body heat up. She pushed those thoughts off and focused on the problem at hand.

“There’s my mailbox. If you’re smart enough to read, you’ll at least have my last name,” she offered without another look as she reached for her notebook, completely prepared to get back to work. No more distractions!

“Ah, Parker. So you have a boyfriend?” he asked, knowing he was pissing the sexy young woman off, but what the hell; he was tired and needed a break. She was a good distraction he’d decided when he first saw her walk outside. She nearly took his breath away, and that never happened. Especially now that he had a better look at her, he realized she was nothing like the girls he was used to being with. Sure, she was pretty, but she wasn’t the body type he was used to. Still, there was just something about her that made him go over and flirt with her.

Now that he had, he was glad to know that he could get her riled up so easily. It was sexy, and he liked sexy. Normally guys would get turned back when a girl didn’t just fall into their arms, but Max was different. He had a hard shell outside, although he never had to use it. It seemed that with this new neighbor of his, he might just get the chance to branch out a bit. And possibly get into bed with her and see just how feisty she can be. The thought made his body ache with need.

“I think that falls under the, ‘none of your business, category’,” she offered with a tight smile and since she couldn’t resist, she took another look at him. His dark, almost black hair, brown eyes that appeared golden brown when the sun hit them just right, and his lips… God, they looked perfect and soft. She wondered with a lick of her lips how they would taste and feel against her. Shaking her head she focused back on him, what was he saying?

“It was a pleasure speaking with you. I’ll see you around,” he said as he offered her one bright smile, turning on his heels and making his way back over to the moving van in his driveway.

“I can’t wait!” she yelled out disdainfully.

He turned around and watched her when she wasn’t looking. Her long chestnut brown hair, creamy golden skin, deep, brown eyes and her legs; now those were his type without a doubt. They looked soft and he knew they’d feel as perfect as they looked, around his waist. He surmised quickly that she wasn’t all that tall, that was another thing he liked, but she was kind of rough around the edges. She was a challenge, and Max Evans was always up for one of those.

Yeah, he thought with a smile of satisfaction, he would have her soon.

<center>*****</center>

“You wouldn’t believe it Maria; he was so irritating, and cocky! I could have just screamed!” Liz paced her living room while her best friend sat on a couch nearby watching with mild amusement.

“So how hot is he?” Maria asked knowingly.

“Oh God! He’s unlike anyone I’ve ever met, and hot doesn’t describe him well. He’s rough, and sexy and…” she turned to her friend seriously, and then a moment later she let out a loud sigh, falling on the couch beside Maria.

“Hot! Which is a word I haven’t used since high school. But God! He just pisses me off. Cocky bastard,” she mumbled out, all the while trying to forget how nice his butt looked walking away from her.

“So,” Maria drawled out with a flip of her wrist.

“So what?” Liz turned to her friend, unsure of what she was referring to.

“You know what I’m asking, Liz. I’ve been friends with you since we were twelve,” Maria pinned her with a meaningful gaze.

“Please! As if I would sleep with someone who obviously has a few screws loose in his head,” Liz responded with a venomous gasp all the while trying to ignore the fact that, she did in fact want to sleep with Max.

“No way girlfriend, tell the truth. You don’t get worked up by guys; he’s special.”

“Special? Yeah he’s some kind of special all right. I think he missed the bus,” Liz grumbled as she stood on her feet and began pacing again. How dare Maria say she would sleep with him? He was rude and apparently egocentric, and that was not her type of man.

He did however fill her with a sense of desire like she’d never craved before. No! She would not give in, she would be strong and she would be sharp tongued until he backed off. That was all she needed to do. She was, after all, so much smarter than him.

“Bus? What bus?” Maria asked confusingly. She had never seen her friend that worked up before. This was different and she hoped for Liz’s sake this was the one.

Since she’d met Liz, it was the same story out of her mouth. “Sex is sex, Maria. Love is just a figment of our overactive imaginations. It does not exist and the sooner you accept it the sooner you can begin to live your life in reality.” Is what Liz had told her at the time, and that was well over ten years ago. Maria sighed, she wondered about this Max character and if he only wanted a one-night stand, which she knew Liz would be more than happy to fill the request for. That by no means meant that Liz slept around, she did however enjoy the company of men; that is when she allowed herself the opportunity, which in all her years, wasn’t very often. Not often enough according to Maria. Liz was young and should enjoy her life, but Liz held back and was especially choosy about whom she slept with.

Maria knew deep down that Liz just hadn’t met the right person. Then again, how could she when all she did was date (using the word very lightly when referring to Liz) guys here and there, and when she felt the urge, she had sex with them. Pure unadulterated, completely detached, sex. How unfulfilling, Maria thought. If only Liz could find someone to love her, if only, she thought, she would let love in if only just once. To experience it, and to feel it and to know that it is real, that is what Maria wished for her friend.

“Maria, please. You damn well know what I meant. He just came up to me and started talking, as if I asked him to do so. What nerve!” she screeched out running her hands through her hair.

“So you want me to leave so you can shower and get ready for tonight?” Maria asked already standing.

“Yeah, might as well. I have to shower anyway,” Liz turned to her friend with a secret smile. She could deny it all she wanted, but Maria knew, just as Liz, that as soon as she left Liz would make herself ready for another encounter with the infamous, Max Evans.

TBC...
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

Andre (Drogyn) Thanks for getting this back to me quickly, and making my day and you know why :wink:
Reamhar – Angela…how you make me laugh with your comments! Thanks for your input and suggestions!

LairaBehr4
dreamer19
FSU/MSW-94
abbs007
kay_b
Behrsgirl1230
Alex Balex
Behrlyliz
Confusedfool
RASaero611
believer_evans
Shadowlynxbehr
begonia9508
martine
frenchkiss70
candycane14
Blink1lit
L-J-L 76
BehrObsession
Luzser1800
Kittens
Dreamsatnight
Guelbebek
Lurkers

You guys are truly amazing, seriously and I more than appreciate the feedback. I’m just happy you like it!! Again, this is just fluff. We aren’t looking at drama here just a nice good old fashion, cat and mouse game!

Tanya

Chapter Two

“Oh God!” she moaned out as he raised her above him effortlessly. This was unlike anything she’d ever experienced in her life. His body was perfection; from his long muscular legs to his well sculpted chest, broad shoulders and his delectable lips. She knew they would taste as good as they looked the first time she saw them.

His body was on fire, and having her did nothing to squelch the flames. She was perfection and he could hardly believe he was inside her, loving her with his body. He’d been in this position many times, but this time the view was so different. Her long brown hair cascaded around her delicate shoulders, her soft, round pert breasts bounced delicately as their bodies grinded together fiercely. All of his other encounters were with women who appeared similar to one another; short hair, any color would do, large, round full breasts and even longer legs. But this beautiful creature swaying above him, so uninhibited was what he’d waited his whole life to experience.

“Max…” she moaned out as his body continued to move within her, deeply. Their heartbeats racings, a fine sheen of sweat glistening over their moving bodies, and moans of desire and lust filled the room.

Finally, his body could hold out no longer, he needed release, craved it even. For the first time in his life, he’d wished he didn’t need to use protection. He wanted to feel her, that bad. Her sweet body had climaxed more times than he could even begin to count, but he wanted to push her over the edge, with him this time. Digging the balls of his feet into the thick mattress, he bracketed her hips in his hands and aided her movements above him.

“Yes. Yes.” They both moaned out as their bodies reached the brink. They craved the next feeling more than their next meal. Her body tensed, as did his, and in that next instant they shared sexual bliss at its finest.

Both lay naked and panting moments later. Liz pulled up the sheet to her shoulders and rolled onto her side to face him. He was a beautiful sight, if she could describe a man as such, that she wouldn’t deny. And the sex, well that was by far the single most pleasurable experience of her life. She felt incredible all the while feeling a sense of uneasiness, never had any man made her feel the way he had.

It was thrilling, and she enjoyed every moment of it, but something in the back of her mind was nagging at her. Why him? Why now? She’d had many opportunities to experience such feelings but it never happened. Maybe you never let it, came the tiny voice inside her head, but she shook that thought away. He was different, but she couldn’t put her finger on why or how for that matter. Rather than run her mind ragged she decided to focus back on him, what was he saying?

“You okay?” he asked huskily, still somewhat breathless.

“I’m great actually,” she nearly purred out in delight. What the hell was wrong with her? He needed to leave!

“That you were,” he smirked and leaned in to kiss her lips, but she pulled away.

“Liz?” he asked in confusion when she began to rise from the bed.

“It was fun, Max. But I think it’s time for you to go,” she said over her shoulder as she sought out her discarded clothing, with the sheet now wrapped haphazardly around her.

“Excuse me?” he gawked.

“What? Did you not hear me? I said…”

“No, I heard you. The problem here is, I don’t understand.”

“We just had sex Max,” she explained to him as if he were a virgin she’d just deflowered.

“Don’t talk to me like I’m some kind of dumbass. I know we had sex, but you’re kicking me out?”

“Well, if you want me to be rude, you know I can be. Yes. Get out,” she said as she stalked out of the room.

Too bad that answer was not good enough for him. Wrapping the comforter around his waist he followed her out of the room.

“Liz, you can’t be serious.”

“Trust me, I am.”

“Why? I mean, I’m not saying we have to have this serious conversation or anything but…” What was the point he was trying to make? He couldn’t for the life of him think logically. Never, in his entire twenty-four years of life, had a girl, or woman for that matter, dismissed him after sex.

“Oh did I hurt your ego? Well, don’t worry. It was great, as I said. But I’m not into attachments.”

“Attachments? Who said anything about that? I figured we could maybe go out sometime and…”

“You mean like a date?” she asked almost comically.

“And what the hell is so funny about that?” His eyes narrowed in disgust. She was acting as if she’d only slept with men, and then he had to wonder, just how many there actually were.

“I don’t date. I don’t get attached and I sure as hell don’t fall in what some would call love.”

“Never?” he asked with suspicion in his voice.

“Never. And before you ask the next question and prolong this event further, I will tell you why. It’s because it does not exist,” she stated as a matter of fact.

“What doesn’t?”

“Boy, you are slow, aren’t you!”

“I’m not slow. Do you want to see my diploma, I even graduated from college,” he rebutted dryly.

“No need. And I was referring to love. It doesn’t exist.”

“Bullshit, it does.”

“No. It. Doesn’t.”

“How would you know? It seems like you just sleep…” he bit his tongue. Not wanting to hurt her with his words but knowing in fact that he may have already.

“Look who’s calling the kettle black? I’ll have you know that just because I like a guy doesn’t mean I sleep with him. She narrowed her eyes knowingly, there was no way she was going to let him walk out of there thinking that she was a whore.

“For your information, I haven’t been with that many men, so you can rid your mind of those thoughts.”

“I didn’t,” he began to deny.

“You did,” she raised her eyebrows daring him to argue the fact.

“I’m sorry. I mean, I know how this might look, but I haven’t been with that many women either.”

“Yeah right!” Had she said that aloud? She looked at him and thought, she had. Groaning inwardly she ripped open the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water. Looking at him for a second, she reached inside and grabbed him one as well.

“Thank you. Believe me when I say that, living with your mother can put a damper on your love life!”

“What?!” she dropped the open bottle of water onto the floor. She pulled the sheet closer and wrapped her arms around herself. Dear God! How old was he?

“What? I live with my mother. Oh, I know what you’re thinking, but it’s not true. I just bought her the house and as soon as I decide where I want to live, I’m getting my own place. Why are you pacing?” he asked, rushing out his last words.

“Ohmigod! This is not happening!” she muttered the words to herself like mantra and he simply followed her with his eyes. What was her problem?

“Liz, would you calm down?” he asked softly when she finally stopped rambling on about, ‘it not happening to her’.

She stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. “How old are you?” she asked in a hushed whisper.

“Twenty-four, why?” he asked unsure of where the line of questioning was going.

“Oh God!” she covered her mouth, near hysteria at that point. Max moved closer to her, reaching out his hand to rest on her shoulder.

“You’re twenty-four, and you live with your mother…and I’m…oh God!” she groaned, burying her face in her hands.

“You’re what?” He was at a loss. Never had he ever had to deal with such an emotional and temperamental woman.

“I’m thirty-two and you’re practically a baby!” she screeched out mortifyingly. This was bad, really bad.

“I’m not a baby. I’m a twenty-four year old business owner damnit! Would you show me some respect? And I already told you why I live with my mother, so get over it,” he ground out frustrated with her reaction. It wasn’t a big deal at all, to him.

“This should never have happened. It was a lapse in judgment and rest assured, it will never happen again,” she said, storming out of the room in the next instant.

He watched her petite retreating form with a smile on his face. Her temper was electric and palpable, but that only made him more intrigued by her. She was a strong woman, which he gathered during his first meeting with her. Today her reaction was raw and unrehearsed, and it made him want to see every side of her that there was. He wanted to be not only on her bad side but also her good, because it had to be just as explosive.

He wanted a challenge, and that is exactly what he got, because now he had to figure out a way to make Liz Parker believe in the one thing she said didn’t exist.

Love.

Because he believed in that instant, he had fallen for her.

TBC…
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N – I’m happy you guys are enjoying this. It seems as though instead of posting on Wednesday…I can’t seem to get here sooner than Thursday, so that’s when I’ll post ;)

Thank your for all the great feedback…I love your take on both Max and Liz…

candycane14
Luzser1800
Martine
FSU/MSW-94
Jason's Lover
behrluv32
abbs007
L-J-L 76
Dreamsatnight
sylvia37 – You don’t think Liz has any lovable qualities? I will attempt to explain in the next part…at least from Max’s perspective.
frenchkiss70
guelbebek
begonia9508
BehrObsession
linliz68
madroswellfan
Ellie
Mariael311
dreamer19
Evansgurl01
Reamhar
Anonymousarfan
Dreamer06
Lurkers...hope you enjoy!

As always I have to thank Andre my beta…and Angela for all her help!

Chapter Three

She sat behind her desk trying to drown out the memory of last night’s events. How could she be so stupid? Normally, she would have asked how old the man she was about to sleep with was, but she didn’t with Max. She concluded quickly it was because he was so persuasive, damn him! Wasn’t it enough that he was irresistible? No, he had to be charming, sweet and irritatingly gentle too.

Liz had gone over to his home to seduce him; she could admit that. Obviously, he was interested, otherwise she wouldn’t have put herself out there for him. When he’d answered the door, he stood in nothing but a pair of tan cargo shorts and an open white short-sleeved shirt. He rendered her speechless, but soon called her out on gawking at him, he’d stepped out on the porch to speak with her.

“What are you doing here? I thought I was…what did you call me again?” he drawled out with a smirk. Liz had wanted to slap him for being so damn cocky, but he was do damn distracting that she couldn’t help but offer herself for the night.

She punched the keys on her computer harder; she needed to pull herself together. She was a grown woman, and so what if he was younger? That wasn’t a big deal; at least he was legal, and she rolled her eyes in thought. She could get past this. So she enjoyed herself more in that one night with him than with anyone else in her entire life, no big deal.

And furthermore, she contemplated; it wasn’t as if she was that old. And she could admit that she enjoyed it with him, very much so. Hell, the last man she was with was a little older than her, surely more experienced, but he was so…so…what was the word she was searching for? Stiff? Dull? Could one describe another person as such, she wondered but continued on in thought of Max. He was wild, vigorous, passionate and unrelenting in the pleasure he gave her, and she wouldn’t feel bad about that.

“Why the hell should I?” she muttered to herself as she finished typing up a letter for her boss. She hated her job with a fierce passion, from the answering of the phones, to typing, the stuffy meetings she had to sit in on, and how could one forget the serving of coffee to everyone that asked? She rolled her eyes exasperatedly. Thankfully, she had another job that was somewhat more satisfying, but it still wasn’t her dream.

“Miss Parker, where are those files I asked you for yesterday?” She straightened up and turned to face her boss, Mr. Carpenter.

“I placed them on your desk yesterday right before I left the office,” she responded properly and added a smile for good measure.

“Right, well do you think you could run down the street for me? I have some dry cleaning that I need before I leave for my trip tonight.” With that he turned and shuffled back into his office. Liz wasn’t sure why he even asked. As if she could say no?

Reaching down to open her last drawer, she pulled out her purse and made her way around her desk. No time like the present to fulfill her boss’ request. Besides, she could use a nice iced coffee to get her through the rest of the day.

<center>*****</center>

Taking a step outside of the office building in which she worked, she surveyed her surroundings and smiled. She loved the beginning of summer, right before it became stifling hot, that is.

She decided she would walk the few blocks it was to the cleaners; she needed time to clear her head. Today, she wore a knee length cream colored skirt, with a white camisole beneath the matching suit jacket. Her matching open-toed heels clicked along the cement walkway and her hair blew around her when a gust of summer wind whipped around her.

Liz was enjoying the warmth of the sun on her face, and the freedom of being away from the stuffy office she worked in, when a familiar cocky voice spoke from behind her.

“So you came out of your hiding place?” Max asked, watching her with open astonishment. She looked delectable, and beautiful, if he did say so himself. He wasn’t sure why he hadn’t noticed it until last night. His first impression was that she was pretty, but her razor sharp tongue distracted him. However, he took the opportunity to get his fill the night before. She was beautiful, flawless even without her clothing, just as much as she was with them on, he pondered for a moment.

When he’d seen her walking down the street passed the site he was currently working at, he couldn’t resist following her. He wanted to see what she was up to. Well that and he wanted to talk to her about their altercation last night.

He had never been turned down by a woman, not as he had by Liz, but he wouldn’t give up as easy as she wanted him to. His mother taught him better than that. He smiled with an inward sigh as he watched as her hips swayed from side to side; he licked his lips thinking of the night before, how amazing she felt in his arms, beneath and above him. His heartbeat quickened and he had pulled himself together enough to finally speak.

“No,” came her response, and with a sigh of aggravation as only he could bring about, she turned to face him.

“Oh yes baby, it’s me.” He offered with a wicked smile and a wink, which he knew would piss her off.

“First of all, I am not your baby. And secondly, are you following me or something?” she asked, eyeing him up and down. He was filthy, covered in dirt and was that wood shavings? Nevertheless, he was sweaty and…gorgeous. She would not bend to his will. She would be strong!

The corners of his mouth rose in a soft smile. “Right, sorry about that. And no, I’m not following you. So what are you doing around here? Don’t you have some writing to do?” he sneered, knowing it was bound to infuriate her.

“Again, that falls under the- ”

“None of my damn business category, gotcha. Fine.” He lifted his hands, palms facing her, in defeat.

“So I wanted to call you today, but I didn’t have your number.” he offered a moment later, before the silence and her glare suffocated him.

“Really? And why on Earth would you call me?” she raised an eyebrow in question. Did the man ever give up, she wondered to herself.

“I don’t know, to talk. Usually that’s what people do when they call each other,” he retorted sardonically.

“Gee, and to think if you hadn’t come into my life, I would have never figured that out,” she rolled her eyes and lifted her arm to check the time.

“It looks like I’m keeping you. So maybe I’ll see you later?” he asked hopeful.

“Don’t count on it. Bye Max.”

Long after she strutted away, Max stood watching her as she moved further and further away, trying to devise a better plan. If their brief encounter a moment ago was any indication of how she felt about him, he knew he had his work cut out for him.

With a spark of hope, he thought, at least she didn’t tell him to go to hell. Or better still, she hadn’t ignored him. Yes, he was going to break her down. In fact, he was going to get to know her better, not only because he vowed to get her back into his bed, but more importantly because he did genuinely want to know what made a woman like that tick.

He smiled and turned, heading back to work. It was going to a long day and he needed to clear his mind to face the infamous Liz Parker tonight.

<center>******</center>

“It was that good?” Maria asked, sitting across from her friend later that day. They had decided to meet up for dinner, and as a bonus Liz was finally going to meet Maria’s new boyfriend.

“Maria, I don’t want to talk about it,” Liz blushed. She had no idea why, but just the thought of sleeping with Max was enough to make her cheeks blush. She had done things with him she had never done with any man, and with a tinge of fear, she realized that there were so many things she had still wanted to do with him…to him. But she had to refrain from such thoughts, since she was never, ever going to sleep with him again.

“Liz, this is me. If you can’t tell me; your best friend, then who can you tell? Besides, I’m sure I’ll be seeing him this weekend. He’s liable to waltz by your place unannounced if he is as persistent as you say.” She wiggled her eyebrows in glee. She was happy that his Max fellow was not giving up, maybe she thought, he was interested in her friend for more than a fling. That would be fantastic she thought with excitement, which was apparently written all over her face.

“Please stop with the inner thoughts about my life.” Liz rolled her eyes as she stabbed her salad roughly.

“What? Can’t I just be happy that this guy hasn’t been warded off by your icy personality?”

“What?! I do not have an icy personality!” she hissed out angrily, dropping her fork on the plate with a clank.

“Liz, I love you. But when it comes to men; sorry babe, but you are the ice queen.” Maria nodded her head and waited for Liz to deny it, which she knew she wouldn’t.

“Whatever,” she mumbled and continued stabbing her lettuce with a vengeance.

“So anyway, what does Michael do for a living?” Liz asked after a few minutes, and a few sips of her wine later. She was not a heavy drinker, but for the past two days she had been stressed out by her encounters with Max.

“He works in construction. In fact, he and his two best friends, what were their names again…” She pondered that question for a moment and realized that she honestly didn’t pay much attention. How could she when she was so focused on his rich brown eyes, his wild sandy brown hair, and his lips, those were heaven!

“Earth to Maria. Can you just stick to the facts that you do know?” Liz asked somewhat restlessly. She adored her friend but her attention to details was less than desirable.

“Oh right, anyway he and his two best friends own their own business. In fact, I think he said it was the next town over. Anyway, they have been pretty successful it seems, because he’s got a really nice house,” Maria added with a smile. Michael was a far cry from the losers she was used to dating. Half of them lived with roommates who were half as mature as they were.

“How old is he?” Liz asked somewhat interested at that point. Michael seemed to be a good guy, with a good head on his shoulders. He would have to in order to own a business, she thought.

“Twenty-eight.” Maria responded as she took a sip of her wine. At that point she had searched the restaurant for him, and then a moment later he appeared at the entrance. Her eyes narrowed in confusion when he turned to a man standing to the right of him. She noticed almost instantly that whomever Michael was talking to, he knew quite well, as they were laughing amongst themselves.

“He’s here!” she squealed in delight and quickly asked her friend if her hair and makeup were in place.

“Maria, you look beautiful. Don’t even worry.” Liz smiled at her friend. Liz never got nervous when she went out with a guy; if you could call what she did going out. It never meant anything because there was no tomorrow. Of course she wanted to make an impression, but if the guy was interested, then that was good enough for her.

Liz went to turn in her seat but Maria stopped her. “Don’t look, act like you don’t see them,” Maria whispered out and began playing with her food, trying to act nonchalant as Michael and his friend approached the table.

“In case you didn’t notice, my back is to him. Wait, what do you mean, them?” Liz’s brows narrowed in confusion but it was too late because a second later, Maria had acknowledged Michael’s presence.

“Hi there,” Maria said, as she smiled brightly up at him. He looked so handsome she thought, unlike how she had met him, which was while he was at work. Needless to say she had seen him many times thereafter, but he was always wearing a T-shirt, rather than the dark blue, short-sleeved dress shirt he was currently sporting.

“Hi Maria, I hoped it was okay that I brought a friend along.” he offered with a smile. Maria turned to see the man now standing to the left of Michael and she noticed quickly how gorgeous he was. As different from Michael as night and day, she could say based on appearances only.

Liz still hadn’t moved in that time; not wanting to mess up their moment, but when he said he had brought a friend, she couldn’t help but turn in her seat to regard them.

“Oh God!” she growled, throwing her napkin onto the table.

“Hi Liz, long time no see.” Max smiled arrogantly. Now that was some kind of luck, Michael’s girlfriend was a friend of Liz’s. It just couldn’t get any better than that, he thought.

“That’s Max?” Maria asked with her mouth agape. Liz however, just nodded. Michael stood watching the exchange and realized this was the girl Max was harping on for the past two days, and he began to chuckle.

“What is so funny?” Liz bit out angrily. This was not happening; how much bad luck could one woman have?

“Nothing. I’m Michael and I take it you’re Liz.” He offered his hand, but she simply looked at it, then back at him, then over to Max and let out a huff.

“I’m leaving now.” She turned to Maria and began to stand.

“No, don’t leave because of me,” Max offered softly. Maria found the gesture sweet, while Liz was seething. This had to be a set up. Couldn’t Maria see he was pretending to be innocent in all of this?

“Liz, you can’t leave, it would be rude. And as much as I know you enjoy being rude, you promised me dinner today, so sit.” She coaxed her best friend back into her seat. Then turned to their guests, insisting that they have a seat.

Liz turned to look at Max who now occupied the seat beside her and groaned. This was going to be a long night. She lifted her wine glass, chugged the contents of the glass and then raised her glass for it to be filled by the waiter.

If anything, she thought, maybe if she drank enough she could forget all about it and the fact that she could smell his cologne. Which only enticed her more, damn him, she thought. He wasn’t even doing anything and she wanted him.

After drinking another glass of wine, she began to settle comfortably in her seat. Maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as she thought.

TBC…
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - You guys kill me with the feedback! Thank you all so much! Now this is a fly by post, because I was working for the last few hours on an update for Wings, which will be posted in just a second.

I do have to give a special thanks for Andre and Angela...you guys rock...did I tell you that? Cause you do! Thank you for all your help...next part will be in your inbox's this weekend :wink:

Without further ado...some fluff for us all :wink:

Chapter Four

“I’m fine!” she hissed out nearly two hours later, as she staggered onto the sidewalk.

“Liz, you’re drunk honey,” Maria offered softly.

“Drunk? Ha! I hab neber been drunked before in my wholed life!” she hiccupped and then tripped on a crack in the sidewalk, only to be caught by Max.

“Liz, she’s right. You can’t drive like this,” he said offering her his arm to lean on; surprisingly she accepted it without refusal.

“Aww, my knight in shinning,” she peered down at his attire and smiled, “cotton.”

“Oh, and she’s a comic too? How lucky could one guy get?” he joked lightly.

“App…apparently you are berry lucky cause you got to fuck me on the first date,” she stammered out as he hoisted her higher against his chest.

“Liz!” Maria screeched out.

“What? Whadda I say?” she looked around in confusion. Her brown hair was swaying from side to side, and Max couldn’t help but think she looked amazing. Of course, it could have been the fact that sitting next to her for close to two hours and watching her loosen up that rough and tough exterior, made him horny. What was wrong with him? He was acting like a pubescent teenager, which he was far from being. Yet, as he held her up and took in a deep breath of her light floral perfume, he knew how much he wanted her without a doubt.

When he’d entered the restaurant with Michael earlier in the evening, he had been explaining to him everything that had transpired between him and his new neighbor. Max had known they were meeting Michael’s girlfriend there, but he had never expected her to bring a friend, and have that friend be Liz. In fact, he had mentioned to Michael how he planned on stopping by her house after dinner to see if he could, ‘borrow some sugar’. He knew she would probably slam the door in his face, but if he was smart, which he knew he was, he’d go over in nothing but a pair of cargo shorts. That was sure to get her attention! As luck had it, she was the friend, who was currently pressed up against him. Did life get better?

“Look, since she can’t even stand up straight, and she lives right next door, I’ll drive her home. Besides, I came with Michael, it would just make sense.” Even though, he had ulterior motives, he would never let her or anyone get behind the wheel inebriated.

“I’ll trust that you will take her home, Max. And that you will keep your hands to yourself,” Maria said, pinning him with a threatening glare. Maria had never seen Liz that drunk in her life… well maybe once. She worried for her best friend and she only wanted her happy. Max seemed like a nice guy, besides that, Maria knew better, Max had made an impact on Liz. Maria wasn’t sure just yet, but it seemed that Liz was beyond her normal defensiveness towards a man. Max was different, and Maria wondered if he would be the one to finally show her best friend that something more was out there for her than sarcasm and loneliness.

“Don’t worry about Max, he’s harmless.” Michael reached out and pulled Maria to his side.

“Max wouldn’t hurt a fly,” he continued and it seemed that Maria relaxed a bit. They had been dating for over a month, and while Michael lived in the area, Max had just moved from the next town over, to be closer to the business.

“I’ll take her home and just make sure she’s okay. I promise,” he offered sincerely.

“Tell her I’ll be over in the morning,” Maria called out as Michael tugged her in the opposite direction.

Max then turned to look down at the woman pinned to his side and smiled as he lifted her in his arms and asked her in what direction her car was.

“You don’t hafta take me home. I can walk, you know,” Liz slurred out and swayed as Max placed her on her feet.

“Right, like I would really let you do that.” Why did she have to be so difficult?

“Whateber,” she giggled out and swayed against him once again. As much as he loved feeling her against him, this was neither the time nor the place for things to happen. Not that he could take advantage of her in his state, but it was nice to dream.

“Can you give me your keys?” he asked.

“Nope!” she snaked out of his grasp and tripped over her own two feet, but just as she was about to hit the ground face first, strong arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her to her feet.

“Come on, give me a break here. I’m trying to be a gentleman,” he pleaded gently as he pushed her hair away from her face. The streetlight allowed him an unobstructed view of her. The glow from the lamp gave her eyes a child like twinkle, and he thought she looked adorable at that moment. Shaking his head, he asked for the keys once again, and this time she flung her purse at him.

Why did he put up with such treatment, he asked himself as he fumbled through her purse for the keys. After a moment, he found them and opened the door and helped Liz into the passenger seat.

Why did she get drunk? Why?! She was furious with herself and with him! It was all his fault, anyway. If he hadn’t shown up, she wouldn’t have gotten drunk. Yes, it was his fault. He was evil and sly, and gorgeous. Oh, he was touching her again. She sighed internally; every time his hands touched her, it felt like an electrical current running through her.

Damn him for making her weak! She would get home, and never see him again. So what if he lived next door, that didn’t mean she had to be a friendly neighbor. That was it! She would just ignore him, and his body and his scent and…bastard! He was a bastard! He was teasing her, and she was taking the bait like a teenager. She was stronger than this…than him and her attraction to him. She would prevail against his masculinity.

“Do ya wanna fuck me ‘gain, Max?” she asked as soon as he got into his seat. If she weren’t so wasted she would have realized what she’d just said to him. She watched under heavy lids as he started the car and tried to avoid her gaze.

“Well?” she asked a moment later, swiping her mouth with the back of her hand. Why was her mouth so watery?

“Liz, let’s talk about something else.” Max turned onto the main road and hoped that the trip home wouldn’t take longer than the thirty minutes he knew it took to get there. Liz was drunk and she was talking about sex, and he was horny. Not a good combination and he was already struggling to keep his hormones in check as is. Having her openly talk about him taking her again, which he wanted to do, was too much. He had to get her attention on something else.

“Like what?” she said distractedly, as she played with the hem of her skirt. The movement of the car and the scent of his cologne were making her even more nauseas.

“Love, and why you don’t believe in it.”

“No,” she mumbled out.

“No?” he turned to her quickly and noticed a look cross her face before her features hardened and she spoke. She was sobering up, quickly from what he could tell. Well, that was one way of killing the mood; make her pissed off at you, he thought wryly.

“No, I refubse to talk ‘bout that. Move along,” she punctuated her anger with a hiccup. Her entire body bounced from the seat with the force of it, and he thought she looked adorable.

“Did someone break your heart?” he asked and noticed the saddened expression on her face. He’d hit a nerve and he wondered what happened.

“No, I don’t let no one near my heart.” Liz was fighting to think clearly, she did not want to divulge her private life to him. It was the last thing she wanted to do. But she was drunk, and knew that she wasn’t speaking clearly either. She quickly pressed the button to roll the window down, fresh cool air would help, it had better she thought sourly. There was only one person that knew her better than herself, and that was Maria. She had no intention of letting him in.

“Now you don’t, but what about before?” he questioned softly. He honestly didn’t want to upset her, but maybe he could get a better idea of the type of woman he was dealing with. Then, he thought for a moment, she didn’t want him around, so maybe he should just leave well enough alone.

“I…I don’t wanna talk ‘bout it,” she said turning her head towards the window. She didn’t want to talk to him anymore. Something would slip and he couldn’t know, hell she didn’t want to remember, either.

“Oh, so I can share my body and even though you tossed me to the side, I can’t ask anything personal? I don’t know about you, but sex is about as personal as you can get in my book.” Where the hell did that come from? He turned quickly and peered at her staring solemnly out the window, and a tinge of regret washed over him. She was a stranger to him, who was he trying pry the details of her personal life out of her? Still, something nagged at him, he didn’t want to care so much, but damn it, he did. He wanted to make her smile; he wanted to see what she looked like in the morning after making love all night.

For a moment he realized he was thinking like a lovesick puppy, and while his intentions were to prove Liz wrong about love, he wasn’t in love with her. He had feelings, albeit he was confused as to what they were, but it was something beyond attraction. Why in the world he had feelings for her, so soon, was beyond his comprehension, but it was true. He couldn’t deny it, but if he had to say, it was similar to what love at first sight might feel like. Except, for the glaring fact that he was not in love with Liz.

“First of all, I neber ask’d for your life s-story, and sex might be inmatant…intat..int…oh whatever! But what we hab isn’t personal. And secondly, it was a long time ‘go and I don’t wanna talk anymore with you!” she rushed out, as she fought the bile rising in her throat. How in the world did people drink every night, she wondered bitterly. She was weak; she should be able to handle her liquor. Oh what the hell did she care, since she was never touching alcohol again?

“Why don’t you try me out? I’m a good listener and I promise not to judge you.”

“I said no. God, can’t you just leave it alone?” she turned to him, eyes wide and furious because of his unwanted curiousness. She just wanted to go home, before she spilled her guts all over the inside of her car.

“Okay, Liz. I won’t ask you any more questions,” came his final words. He kept his promise, and didn’t talk for the remainder of the ride.

When they finally pulled up into her driveway, he turned off the ignition and asked if she’d like him to help her to the door.

“Yes…t-thanks.” She didn’t look at him, but instead waited until he came around to her side to help her out.

“I guess, I’ll see you later. Will you be all right?” he asked once he’d opened her front door.

Liz stood staring into her living room for a moment. So many things swirling around her head, and him standing so close was distracting. It may not have been the best idea, but at the moment it seemed like the only one she wanted.

“Why don’t you come in?” she said walking past him, swaying slightly, waiting until he entered and closed the door behind her.

<center>****** </center>

“God, Liz are you sure?” he asked as he tore his dress shirt off. She was nestled on his lap. Her skirt was hiked up to her waist and her panties were discarded to the floor; in other words, she was ready for him. He didn’t want to take advantage of her, but she had assured him that while she was still drunk, she was completely coherent and aware of what was happening.

“Stop acting like a teenager getting his first piece,” she teased and even, to Max’s gratitude, offered a smile.

“One day,” he gritted out as she eased herself over him, “I’m going to make regret you ever teased me about my age.”

“Max?” she gasped out when she felt his hands come around her, hugging her firmly against his chest. She didn’t want this; she didn’t want touching and feeling, she wanted sex that was it.

“Baby, you feel incredible,” he murmured against her neck, nibbling his way down to her exposed breasts. He’d managed to remove her shirt and bra the moment she crawled into his lap.

Resisting the urge to moan out his name, she grinded harder down on his erection, hoping it would ease the ache she felt when she was around him. At first, she thought it was just because she had wanted to feel him inside her, but the more she saw of him, the more the ache grew and she wondered what was wrong. Never, had she needed a man after one night. Once was more than enough, even forgettable for her, so why did she crave him as she had never any other? It scared her, yet excited her at the same time. He was almost forbidden for her, he was young, energetic and sexy and he seemed to enjoy her company, at least in the sex department that is.

Max rested his head against the back of the couch; allowing him a better angle to thrust into her warm, wet body. What was it about her that drove him insane with need to have her, take her, and make her his? He watched as she arched her back, her long brown hair tickling his fingers as they rested at the hollow of her back, her body clenching tightly around his with each upward thrust of his body.

“Max…” she gasped out unintentionally; her hands clawing at his chest, fingernails denting the hard flesh of his torso. It was too much, her body was on fire, and she never wanted the delicious pounding of his body inside of hers to stop. She wanted him to claim her, ravish her until she couldn’t move.

Max watched her closely, it was the most exposed she’d ever been to him. Their eyes were locked and their breathing ragged, but in that moment when their bodies moved it was as if they were moving in slow motion. He raised a hand up and threaded it through her hair, while his other hand gently caressed her cheek. Her eyes went wide, as if she was surprised by his actions, but she didn’t move away, instead she leaned into his touch. She reveled in it; no man had ever made her feel an ounce of what his touches did. A tiny shiver crept up her spine, snapping her back to reality and in that moment, when his body tensed below hers, she realized she cared more about him than she wanted to. It was an unwelcome feeling for her, however she still felt it.

Out of pure instinct, she leaned forward and sealed her lips to his, hungrily feeding him her tongue and then with his final long, deep thrust, her body convulsed around his. Max wrapped his arms around her tightly, nearly crushing her. It was the single most real moment of his life with a woman. Nothing about being with her was faked. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that, on one hand it was exhilarating and on the other it scared the shit out of him. This wasn’t just lust; what he saw in that moment, was a woman who was lost and was fighting everything she felt, because she thought it was wrong. He had no idea how he gathered that information, but he suspected it had a lot to do with their little altercation in the car.

Had she been in love with someone and he broke her heart? Or was it the other way around? Had he been in love with her, but did her belief that love didn’t exist interfere with the relationship? His mind played over the different scenarios as her breathing evened out against his chest.

“Liz?” he whispered out, and when she didn’t respond, he placed a kiss on the top of her head. Gently, trying to not awaken her, he lifted her in his arms and carried her to her bedroom. After removing the rest of her clothes, he pushed the covers over her body, and smiled when he saw her curl over onto her side and sigh.

She was exquisite, complicated, infuriating and seductive all rolled into one petite brunette. This wasn’t just a challenge anymore for him; he wanted to know her better. He knew it might be a mistake, but knowing that he needed to figure out what happened to her as quickly as possible, he removed the remainder of his clothing and lay down beside her. Pulling her gently into his arms, he kissed her cheek and reveled in the feel of her soft body against his.

He couldn’t remember ever caring so much for someone he knew nothing about. Any of his friends would have told him he was obviously getting some really good sex, but even thinking that, he knew that wasn’t it either. Liz was different, but a good different. She challenged him, she berated him, and hell even teased him, which he couldn’t stand. Yet, there was a playfulness that he observed through dinner.

When she spoke to Maria or made a sarcastic joke, her eyes twinkled, and her lips curled and she almost exuded a child-like quality that he found refreshing.

Maybe it was because he was brought up by his mother, forced to be a single parent when his father decided that having a girlfriend pregnant at twenty was too much, that allowed him to appreciate her rough exterior. His mother was the exact same way, when it came to men. It took her a long time to trust another man after what his father did to her, but she eventually got over it. Liz shifted closer to him, burying her head in the crook of his neck, and he smiled thinking that maybe he could help her.

What was he saying? He wasn’t looking for an attachment, especially with someone as difficult as her, yet there was a yearning inside him to protect her and to care for her. His thoughts ran rampant for the following hour, then finally his lids became heavy and he fell into a deep sleep.

<center>****** </center>

Throbbing, that was all she felt when she turned over, well that and a warm, hard body next to her.

What the hell?

Oh God! He was not supposed to sleep over. It was her number one rule. She groaned and reached out to shake him awake.

He didn’t move. Great, what the hell was she supposed to do now? She stood taking the sheet with her, and then realized that left him completely naked, and completely exposed. There was a familiar ache between her thighs at the sight of his well-sculpted body, but she had to resist.

She must resist, she scolded herself even as she crawled back into bed and reached out to touch him. The sound of the doorbell startled her and she pulled back and stood back up. What was she doing?! He needed to leave!

“Max! Get the hell up!” she ground out as she turned to retrieve her robe. Who the hell was at the door?

Once again, Max did not move, even as she pushed at his body. Finally she gave up, since it seemed the person at the front door didn’t want to get the hint.

Storming out of her bedroom, she yanked open the front door, the sun spilled in, causing her to groan. Her head was throbbing even harder now, and a wave of nausea settled firmly in her stomach.

“Can I help you?” she asked distractedly.

“Yes, you’re Liz right?”

“Yeah, and you are?” Liz waved the blond woman on. Would she hurry the hell up? She had a naked man in bed and even though she swore she would send him home, she was hoping to maybe have just one more taste of him before she banished him from her life forever.

“I was looking for Max. Is he here?” came the woman’s polite question.

“What’s it to you? Are you his girlfriend or something?” Liz retorted disdainfully, eyeing the woman up and down. She didn’t seem that old, but surely he didn’t go for women that looked old enough to have children in their teens.

Suddenly there was a shuffling behind her shoulder, and she felt his warm hand against her back. She smiled. Smiled? She would never, ever drink again, she promised herself.

Max had heard the commotion, and the doorbell, and even though he tried like hell to pretend he was still asleep, he had to wonder who was at the front door so early. Finally, he extracted himself from her bed and dressed quickly and found her with the door open, talking to someone in her usual sarcastic manner. He groaned.

“Hey Mom,” he said as he pushed the door open further so he could peer outside.

“Mom?” Liz whispered out in surprise, her brows etched in realization.

Oh God! She had just insulted his mother!

With a groan of embarrassment, she stepped back from the door and ran to her bedroom. Hoping they would just leave and she would never have to see or talk to them again, of course she wasn’t that lucky. After all, they were her neighbors weren’t they?

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - Okay guys...I'm here a little early with the update seeing as I had an allergic reaction to something yesterday and I'm not feeling so hot right now :roll:

I wanted to thank you all for the feedback!! At least I know I'm still a little funny...it helps gear me up for the final installment of Confessions :wink:

Hope you enjoy!!

P.S. I got this part to my betas very late...Angela was first to the finishline so thank you sweetie!! I can finally get to bed! Andre, even if you haven't looked at it...thank you for all the support!

Chapter Five

Following Liz’s speedy retreat, Max stepped outside on the porch with his mother.

“Honey, you know I wouldn’t bother you like this, but did you forget what today was?” He stared at his mother for a moment before realized what she was referring to.

“Damn, is she here already?” he asked looking over his mother’s shoulder. He already knew the answer when he saw the sporty BMW convertible parked in their driveway.

Looking apologetic, his mother explained her reason for being there. She knew it made the situation a little awkward for her son. “I called your cell phone but it was off. I figured Michael would know where you were and he told me you left with Liz last night after dinner.” A smile formed on Diane’s lips. Even though she’d only met the girl for a few seconds, she already knew how her son felt about her. She irritated him beyond words, but there was something about her that intrigued him.

Running a quick hand through his hair, successfully tousling it further, he regarded his mother with a sly smile. “I’ll be right over, I’m just going to say goodbye.” He began to turn but paused when he heard his mother’s voice.

“Max?”

“Yeah?” He turned back to regard her.

“Why don’t you invite her? Surely I can serve Veronica another cup of coffee, seeing as she’s made enough commission off you so far.” She smiled and didn’t give him a chance to respond.

Max stood watching his mother for a minute, wondering if was a good idea to put Liz and his mother in the same room together for too long. Liz ran away for a reason a little while ago, and he wondered if that had anything to do with it. Letting out a soft sigh he went in search for Liz back in the house.

<center>***** </center>

She was going to hell. There was no other place for her. She’d just insulted his mother of all the people in the world. Liz rolled over onto her back and stared at the ceiling fan spinning softly above her. What was his mother doing there to begin with? With a groan, she wondered if his mother did this often.

Determination set in, she knew that even if she still wanted him sexually, she would have to close the door on this chapter in her life and tell him to move along. A man that was too attached to his mother was not someone she was interested in. No matter how gorgeous he looked naked, or how he pleasured her body beyond compare, she needed to never see him again.

“Hi,” came the soft timbre of his voice, his shoulder propped up against the wooden doorframe.

Liz refused to acknowledge him; maybe he would just go away if she ignored him.

“Are you okay?” he asked, entering fully into the room.

Max watched her closely, she was ignoring him, and he smiled at her stubbornness. God, it ticked him off, but turned him on at the same time. Max reached the foot of the bed while he tried to shake the lust filled thoughts and very vivid images of him thrusting into her soft body, which had popped into his head.

“I have all the time in the world to wait for an apology,” he toyed with her. He knew only had but a few precious minutes before he needed to meet his mother and his realtor.

“When you set sail with those ears of yours, I’ll apologize,” came her snide remark.

Under normal circumstances he would be offended, and putting aside that his ears were on the rather larger side, he knew she was just trying to get him riled up so she could blame him.

“You are such the comedian, Liz. I think you could have your very own show one day, if you lose the attitude, the rude comments, and lets not forget the huge chip that has made a permanent home on your shoulder,” he countered, as he made his way back on the bed, crawling up her body.

What was he doing? He needed to go! Damn him, he smelled so good, and his voice was smooth and tender. What was he saying to her again?

“Excuse me, but I don’t have a chip on my shoulder. I told you to leave me alone,” she said hastily as his lower body brushed up against hers, causing a delicious quiver to course through her body. He was dangerous, and she knew it, but she just couldn’t resist him no matter how hard she tried. Therefore, she thought, the only way to stop the feelings she felt around him was to not be around him. She had to cut the cord.

“That’s bullshit, Liz. I’m not the one that came knocking on your door. And I sure as hell wasn’t the one begging me to give it to them last night…over and over and ov—”

She pushed at his chest furiously; he smiled in satisfaction, now her blood was boiling. He wondered why having Liz pissed off at him, made him as horny as a seventeen year old getting his first taste of a girl.

“I see your mother checks up on you, how infantile,” she remarked disdainfully, pushing him completely off of her. She needed to clear her head, and having his hard, perfectly chiseled body pressing her against the soft mattress, reminding her vividly of last night, was not the way to go about that.

“No wise ass. I told her about you, and since my realtor is sitting in my mom’s living room, and I didn’t answer my cell, she called Michael. Who conveniently told her where she could find me.” Max retorted, rolling over to his side. Why was she so difficult? He could feel her bending and then she would snap that hard shell back around herself. Last night, each and every time they were together, she would express herself more freely.

She would press her lips against his, and whisper into his mouth how perfect he felt moving inside her, how she never wanted him to stop, never wanted him to let go, and never wanted him to stop touching her. He could have easily chalked it all up to the alcohol, but she wasn’t slurring her words, and if he was right, she was completely sober during their last time together. He had wanted to ask her if she meant all of those things, but thought better of it. If he mentioned it, she would surely put all her walls back up and the next time they were together, she would be cold and unfeeling, which was the last thing he wanted.

In fact, watching her pace slowly, her hair still a mess from their exertions last night, he found her to be the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen. He’d dated pretty girls before, but Liz was different. He wasn’t sure if he could pinpoint just one thing about her that made her beautiful to him, for it was several things combined that made her exquisitely breathtaking. Her creamy complexion, long silky brown hair, perfectly shaped and ever expressive brown eyes, the tiny beauty marks splayed across her entire body, in places he kissed last night, places that anyone else looking at her couldn’t see. And even though it worked his nerves at times, even her stubbornness and attitude made her all the more appealing. She wasn’t easy and she sure as hell wasn’t falling at his feet for attention, but she received it nevertheless.

Suddenly she stopped and turned towards him. “I’m sorry for asking your mother if she was your girlfriend,” she mumbled out quickly. She did owe him an apology, but instead decided she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction, so she opted for excusing her misgivings towards his mother.

Max let out a half choking noise before responding. “Y-you thought my mother was my…girlfriend? Are you crazy?” He rolled off the bed to stand before her.

“I said I was sorry,” she offered meekly.

“What would make you think that she was my girlfriend? And just for the record, if I had a girlfriend I wouldn’t be having sex with you.” His eyes narrowed in anger, how dare she assume such things! She played a wicked game of tug of war with his emotions. One minute he was finding all these little things that made her perfect, and in the next he wanted to shake her senseless.

“How the hell was I supposed to know she even knew who I was to begin with? Look, Max this is just getting too complicated for me. I think…no I know it would be better if you left and we didn’t see each other anymore.” Liz let out a little sigh, and to her surprise she felt a pang of sadness at hearing her own words aloud.

“Sorry, but you are not getting off that easy. So you can march yourself into the bathroom, take a shower, and I’ll be back in a half hour to pick you up.” Max crossed his arms determinately.

“What? I will not be ordered around by you!” Her tiny nostrils flared, and he wanted to do nothing more than kiss her breathless, but he was making a statement here and he couldn’t deter from his little plan.

“I’m not ordering,” he said and watched as her eyes narrowed in dispute. “Okay, so I am a little, but the point is I think my mother deserves an apology in person.” And he wanted to spend an entire day with her. But of course he couldn’t just ask her normally. No, she had to make him take the most difficult route to the same ending.

“You can tell her for me,” Liz said stubbornly. She truly did feel bad, but she was completely embarrassed and didn’t want to see his mother again, ever. What a fool she must think she was.

“Hell no. I can’t wait to see your face when you say that you were sorry for calling her my girlfriend. I wouldn’t miss that for the world,” he added with a bright smile.

“Whatever. Look, I have a headache…”

“So take aspirin. I’ll be back in thirty,” he said moving past her and out the bedroom door.

“Max! Wait damnit!” she ran after him and stopped him at the front door.

“Just so we’re clear, I’m doing this for your mother.”

“Sure.”

“I’m serious!” she grumbled out impatiently. Under no circumstances, was he to think that she was doing this for his benefit.

“See you in a few!” he called out over his shoulder as he made his quick getaway.

“Bastard!” she screeched out slamming the front door and making a dash for the bathroom. She needed to be presentable for his mother, damn him. He truly was a bastard, she thought sourly.

<center>*****</center>

“Maria, he is just…so…so…”

“Lovable?”

“God no! Infuriating! I mean worse than nails on the chalkboard! I can’t stand him,” Liz said as she paced her living room talking to her best friend, waiting for the aforementioned.

“So how long did you go at it last night?” Maria teased her friend. She knew that Max was embedded, quickly as it might have been, underneath Liz’s skin. And based on Liz’s strong reaction, it was affecting her best friend, profoundly.

Liz blushed, “More times than I think I have in my entire life added up,” she giggled. Wait, she did not giggle! That was just not something she did, it was so childish. Rolling her eyes at herself, she amended her last statement.

“Okay, so it wasn’t that many times, but it was close enough. I don’t know what to do Maria, one second he’s as sweet as candy the next he is irking my ass and picking fights with me.” Liz sighed heavily as she settled against the arm of the couch.

“That’s called foreplay, sweetie.”

“What?” she scoffed, in disbelief.

“Liz, why are you fighting the obvious attraction? You already slept with him, would it kill you to get to know him better?”

“Yes it would!” Liz interrupted, but Maria continued.

“It seems like he really wants to get to know you and I think that’s the best offer you’ve had in almost a decade.”

“Why do you have to remind me? I already put that all past me,” Liz interjected determinedly.

“Liz, if you moved past it, you wouldn’t be pushing what seems to be a really great guy, right out of your life. You should get to know him, let him in Liz.”

“No. Don’t you understand why I can’t? Why I don’t want to?” she added a little softer.

“I know, Liz. I was there, but you can’t blame Max for something he doesn’t even know about. And you can’t blame yourself for it either,” Maria coaxed softly. She loved Liz, they were like sisters, but she hated to see her turn down a chance at being really happy because she wasn’t willing to let go of the things she couldn’t prevent. If Max didn’t turn out to be the one, then that was okay, and that was all she wanted Liz to understand. But Max could help, he could open her up to a new experience, one that would give her hope and that was all she needed. That and a little faith, but that was stretching it for Liz, Maria knew all to well.

“I have to go. I’ll call you later after this miserable day is over.” She hung up a moment later and as it seemed just in time for her doorbell to ring.

“Great, this is just going to be the one most awkward experiences of my life.” She smiled self depreciatingly at herself, as she glanced at the mirror by the door before opening it.

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - I'm back with an update...that was technically done on Thursday but since I got back home late, I sent it off to the betas, and well...here I am anyway! I'm glad you guys are enjoying this...Rather than leaving anything with a cliffhanger, I choose to end the parts in specific places.

Thank you, as always for the feedback it's fun to read your thoughts about each part! And to Andre and Angela...you guys are the best!!

Guelbebek
FSU/MSW-94
candycane14
Earth2Mama
Dreamer 4 Ever
Clueless
abbs007
dreamsatnight
Drogyn
Martine
BehrObsession
begonia9508
Evans3
Reamhar
Dreamer06
dreamer19
frenchkiss70

Michelle in Yonkers – True she does want him for herself…
Mariael311 – But my love…He’s MINE…so get over it hahaha!!!
Lurkers...hope you enjoy!

Chapter Six

They had finally arrived at the first house; it was only the next town over thankfully. Liz was getting hungry but she didn’t want to say anything. It was bad enough that Max’s mother drove with the realtor, leaving her and Max alone in his car.

“Are you okay?” he asked as he pulled his car in front of a two-story home. Liz peered out her window. It was beautiful; a light beige, with white shutters and a beautiful wraparound porch. It looked new, which lead her to wonder, if Michael was in the construction business, and Max was his partner, then why didn’t he just build his own? Rather than answering his question she asked her own.

“Don’t you build houses for a living? And if you do, why are you buying one instead of building it yourself?”

Max chuckled softly before answering. “Actually, I did build this one almost two years ago and it was purchased. The family that bought it decided to move out of state. When I heard it was on the market, I wanted to have another look.”

“That makes sense.” She wanted to avoid talking to him, for fear she’d just stick her foot in her mouth again. After this afternoon was over, she would say goodbye to him and this part of her life.

“So you really like this one?” she asked as they stood waiting for the realtor to unlock the front door. Max’s mother stood behind them, even though she had insisted that she should stay home, Max insisted that he wanted her input. He might be good at building houses, but figuring out if it was a practical space for him was another thing altogether.

“I do, but I think it might be too much space for me.” Max stepped aside and allowed Liz and his mother to enter the house.

Liz was taken aback by the detail inside of the home. She could only ever dream to live in a house as magnificent as this. She stood back and watched as Max and his mother carried on a conversation with the realtor at one side of what she gathered as being the living room. She wandered around and found the kitchen, and then one of the bathrooms; taking a quick moment she ran in and closed the door behind her.

“I look like hell,” she groaned out and proceeded to dig through her purse for a brush and some lip gloss. She knew she was acting like a mad woman, especially since she didn’t care what Max thought of her. Not in the least. No, she was just making herself extra presentable for his mother. So far she avoided any real conversation with her, but Liz knew it was inevitable that they would speak and she would need to apologize.

Max wondered where Liz went, and for a brief moment he was afraid she had left. But a moment later he saw her reenter the living room, her hair looked neater than before, and her lips were shiny. A small smile formed on his lips, she was making herself up in the bathroom. His heart skipped a little beat and he shook his head, focusing back on what his mother was saying.

“…the space if used correctly wouldn’t be overcrowded. It’s very spacious.” Diane said as she proceeded to tour the rest of the house.

Turning to Liz, Max reached out his hand and anxiously waited for her to take it. Defiantly, Liz narrowed her eyes and brushed passed him and up the stairs.

“Playing hard to get,” he muttered.

“What?” she turned on the third step to regard him. He simply shrugged his shoulders indifferently, all the while inside he was laughing.

Oh she hated him! She rushed up the stairs and tried to ignore the feeling of his eyes roaming over her body. And she knew he was because when she reached the top stair, she turned abruptly and sure enough his eyes were focused on her behind.

“Men,” she huffed and carried on down the long hallway.

“Women,” he said as he reached the final step. He knew he should’ve been paying more attention to the realtor but he knew the ins and outs of buying a house. And if there were any problems with it, not that there were, he could fix them. It was just a matter of him wanting this particular house.

Following the echoing voices down to the very last room at the end of the hall, he stood frozen in the doorway. God, she looked like an angel, sweet and innocent, when she didn’t speak that is, he thought sardonically.

“This is just amazing!” Liz exclaimed, twirling around the room like a small child. The room was filled with big windows, lighting the room brightly as the warm sun was filtered through them. There was a window seat that stretched from one end of the room to the other. Max couldn’t help the smile on his lips as he watched Liz crawl into the seat and run her hands over the soft material of the seat cushion beneath her.

“Max, this is beautiful. I’ve never seen anything like it,” she said as a bright smile lit up her face, in fact she was so lost in the moment that she motioned for him to join her. Without hesitation Max took his place beside her.

“I’ve only ever seen rooms like this in magazines. It’s incredible, don’t you love it?” Liz turned her wide eyes towards Max in question. His face was a mere inch from hers, her soft breath fanning across his lips, the sweet scent of her light perfume filling the small space between them. And then before he knew what he was doing, his head drew nearer, he wanted to taste her, feel her soft lips and get lost in her scent.

Lifting his hand to caress her cheek softly, as he covered the short distance between them, he noticed immediately how her eyes closed in anticipation. Finally, his lips touched hers softly and his arm wrapped around her waist as his tongue gently parted her lips. She sighed softly into his mouth, his tongue so warm and soft. In that instant, she thought that no one could ever kiss her the way he did.

The thought however was like a bucket of cold water. How dare she compare his kisses to all the kisses she ever received, or ever would for that matter? What was wrong with her? Pulling back quickly, she stood and pushed her hair back away from her face. She fought to drag air into her lungs as her heart thrummed wildly in her chest.

“We’re not doing this,” she grit out through clenched teeth.

“Do what?” he questioned coming to stand in front of her. He wanted nothing more than to kiss her again. Her lips were puffy and moist, God, everything about her turned him on. He needed to get himself together. The raging inferno bursting to free itself from the suddenly tight confines of his jeans was not something he wanted anyone to witness, especially his mother.

“You know what? I just lost my head for a minute. It meant nothing. Do you hear me? Nothing!” she hissed out, trying to stop her hands from shaking. With one final deep lungful of air, she left the room to wait in the car.

Max stood watching her with piqued curiosity. He knew she would fight him, but why was she so adamant about denying her feelings and her actions? Just then, when they kissed, she didn’t pull away, she didn’t flinch and she prepared herself for it. And now, she was acting as if it meant nothing.

Well to hell with that, he thought stubbornly. Tonight she will tell him what the hell was going on in that mind of hers. He was willing to play the game, but the field was not leveled. It was about time someone knocked little Miss Parker off her high horse, he thought with a smug smile.

<center>******</center>

“So what happened?” Diane asked once she and her son were in the confines of his car. Liz had insisted she ride with the realtor, to avoid Max from what she could gather.

“I…she…we kissed and then she freaked out. Like always,” he grumbled out as he made a turn onto the main road. They were off to have lunch before parting ways with the realtor.

“Tough one, isn’t she?” she asked but continued on if she already formed her opinion of Liz.

“I bet that pisses you off,” she chuckled lightly.

“You know mom, sometimes I wish you’d act more like my mom than my friend.”

“I give you a little of both when I feel you need it. So tell me, what is it about her you like so much?” Diane settled back against the seat, from the look on her sons face, this could take a while.

“I don’t know. She gets on my nerves and I feel like pulling my hair out every time she speaks—” he paused in consideration. “On the other hand, the fact that she challenges me at every turn just makes me want to get to know her better. I want to know what makes her tick, and more than that, I want to know who messed her up so bad inside that she doesn’t believe in love.”

“What?” his mother asked surprised.

“Yeah, she doesn’t believe it exists. Obviously some guy fucked her over…”

“Your language,” she reprimanded him coolly. She raised a gentleman and she wouldn’t tolerate those words in her presence. She knew Max hated it, but to appease her he curbed his tongue.

“Right, sorry. But when she was drunk last night she just started talking, and offering up information but then she clamped up and wouldn’t speak about it again. I shouldn’t care, not this soon. It’s insane. I’m investing all this time and energy, for what? At every turn she’s pushing me away…” he trailed off, his fingers biting into the steering wheel.

“But?” she questioned knowingly.

“I want to change her mind. I want to be the one to hold her when she cries, the one she screams at when she’s angry…actually I’m already that,” he joked lightly but continued on.

“I don’t know why I care. But God help me, I do. She has so many sides to her. Shy and quiet, angry and bitter, she jokes and laughs and it’s infectious. I can’t stand her one minute and in the next I want to kiss her senseless. How is that possible? It goes against everything that’s logical, yet I can’t stop.” He ran a frustrated hand through his hair, hoping his mother would offer some words of wisdom.

“She’s pretty,” Diane commented softly. Normally she would offer some advice, but this girl seemed different than any of the others. In fact, she wondered if maybe this was the girl that would stop her son from getting involved in such shallow relationships. Maybe this time he’d found someone he could commit to, selflessly. A smiled tugged on her lips; oh she liked this Liz Parker more and more. Still, her heart worried for her son. She would hate for things to end badly and his heart to be broken. But what is love, if you don’t suffer a little, she thought humbly.

“Pretty? That’s all you have to say,” he asked, his brows creased in confusion. Was his mother not offering any advice? Damn it! Why the hell not? Of all the times in his life he needed it she wasn’t forthcoming. Well isn’t that a bitch, he thought ironically.

“What do you think about the house?” she asked ignoring his questioning glare.

“I love it. That’s going to be the one. I figure why bother looking at the rest. I’ve already made up my mind,” he trailed off in thought. He realized in that moment, whether he would admit it aloud or not, he was getting the house because of Liz.

Things were quickly getting out of control.

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - See I'm back today...So as I said I'm recovering from the Bon Jovi concert, which I managed to score floor seats for next Saturday's show, which I am soo excited about!!

But you guys don't care about that...so here is the update...forgive me for any mistakes because this has not been to the betas, I was running short on time and I really need to get some sleep :(

Evansgurl01 – Thanks, I’m happy to hear you are enjoying it!

omwf – Thank you and I was still at work when you posted your bump ;)

Poison Ivy – Thanks!

FSU/MSW-94 – Thanks sweetie!

candycane14 – I think Liz will be happy when she finds out that
tidbit, but first we have to get through this part. Thanks!

Ms_BuffyAnneSummers – Max hasn’t admitted to himself of his true feelings for Liz, but maybe you might find out more in this part. Thanks!

Smac
-
Max just needs to ram his tongue down Liz's throat every time she opens her mouth! That will shut her up, at least temporarily. Or if that doesn't always work, maybe he could use something .......bigger? LOL! –
OMG!! I almost died when I read this, although I think you’re right, he has tried that uhm…route and it hasn’t worked…well it did but not for these purposes *lol With that said, I thank you and hopefully you enjoy this part just as much.

Dreamer06 – Don’t worry about it… Denial is a place we all find ourselves at, at one time or another…eventually we just have to be patient and figure things out and hope for the best. Thanks!

Earth2Mama – Oh Miss Parker will cave…the question is when? Thanks!

Ellie
– Glad you like Diane…I’ve tried to make her as modern as I could being that Max is still kind of young and she’s not that old herself. But that story will come later. Thanks!

Jason's Lover – Thanks girl!

dreamer19 – The answer to your question about Liz is answered in this part. Thanks!

frenchkiss70 – So they are fighting each other aren’t they…well let’s see what happens in this part! Thanks!

LegalAlien – Thank you!

guelbebek – Thanks!

Marteloise - *waves – Thank you…glad you are enjoying their banter…just a little more for you! Thanks!

begonia9508 – You will find out what Liz is afraid of in this part…thanks!

RoninBehr – Thanks!

Martine – You are 100% correct in saying that Max’s mother thinks he needs someone like Liz in his life, she drives him crazy but its not all that bad for a guy like him. Thanks!

LairaBehr4 – Don’t make me blush…seriously, I thank you but I have a long way to go before I get good. I have improved but I’m not anywhere near some of the writers on this board. Thanks and I hope you enjoy!!

BehrObsession – Your wish is my command…I’m like your personal genie…sort of!

Kitten – Thanks and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon…

Reamhar – OMG you and the rest of the bunch with Max’s member and it’s size and uhmm places he has put it…I’ll just say thanks!!

Lurkers - Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Seven

“So Max are you sure you don’t want to see at least one more house?”

“No, I’m sure. Besides…” It really didn’t matter what they were saying anymore to Liz. It had been almost and hour of the same conversation going back and forth across the table. She rolled her eyes at the obvious flirtation going on right in front of her.

Veronica, the realtor, was giggling like a damn schoolgirl and it was pissing Liz off. Of course, she didn’t even know why it was bothering her; it wasn’t like Max and her were dating or even together.

Yet, the sound of the woman’s voice was like nails on a chalkboard. It drove Liz insane, why did Max have to smile at her? Why?! He was polite and his mother chimed into the conversation whenever necessary, but all Liz did was sit back and swallow her salad trying to blend into the tablecloth.

Sure Max had talked to her, included her into the conversation, but this Veronica person needed to leave…immediately. Liz thought of accidentally spilling her wine so that it landed right in the woman’s lap, but that would be too obvious. And she just knew Max would enjoy it way too much. Instead, she sat and chewed her food as slowly as possible, to keep herself occupied.

“What do you think, Liz?” came Diane’s pleasant voice.

“Oh, about what?” Startled by the question, Liz’s fork fell limply in her fingers and clanked down loudly on the side of the plate. She blushed in embarrassment for not paying attention. Great, now Max was smirking at her. She narrowed her eyes angrily at him before turning her attention to his mother.

“Of the house?” Diane smiled knowingly but continued on casually in conversation.

“I was just saying how I thought it was a perfect home for a small family. It’s spacious and has a great backyard.” Diane smiled as Max sat frozen in his chair. That was not what his mother had just said. What was she doing, he wondered wildly waiting for Liz’s response.

“I…guess…yes it is a very lovely home.” Liz rushed out and reached for her wine, she couldn’t get drunk in the middle of the day, but God help her if the conversation continued down its current path she could not be held responsible for her actions.

She tilted the glass and allowed the cool liquid to slide down her throat, causing a warm sensation to creep her chest. Now she felt a little more in control. She could tackle anything now, just one more little sip and she would be…

“I just wish Max could find a nice girl to settle down with, it seems all he dates is these shallow, nearly lifeless girls—” Diane shook her head in mock dismay. She was wise enough to play the game and there was certainly nothing wrong with helping her son get a better feel of Liz’s intentions…now was there?

At that precise moment though, Veronica’s chirping voice broke into the conversation, causing Liz to want to lift her glass directly over the woman’s head and pour slowly, so it would soak into her silk blouse. A small smile of satisfaction curled on the corners of her lips, but the moment was fleeting.

“I think that’s a splendid idea. Are you currently dating anyone, Max? Any takers on the offer.”

Could she be anymore obvious, was what Liz had wanted to say, but bit her tongue. How dare this girl! Did she forget that Liz was at the table and that Max hadn’t taken his hot gaze off of her? Max wanted to irritate her, not Veronica. He wanted to kiss her and he damn well did in that room, not Veronica.

“Actually, no unfortunately I’m not. I thought that maybe I had found someone, but that didn’t seem to work out too well,” he offered knowing that it would irk Liz enough to want to confront him later.

Perfect. Him and her alone. Was there anything better, he wondered and then amended his thought…yes there was one other thing that would be better. That picture however involved him, Liz and a nice big bed. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and hoped that he could ease the hunger driving his body down enough to get home without attacking her in the parking lot, with his mother and realtor as witnesses.

He had to admit though; he loved the fact that Liz openly disliked Veronica. In fact, if he was reading her correctly he could even say she was jealous.

Well that was something new and surprising. Liz Parker jealous of another girl…a girl who was openly throwing herself at him. Things were definitely getting interesting; he smiled to himself in satisfaction.

It wouldn’t be too much longer until he broke her, and how sweet a victory it would be.

Liz couldn’t hold back any longer, especially not when Max was smiling victoriously at her. Damn him for being so tempting and distracting. This was the reason why she wanted to stay home and banish him from her life. What she wouldn’t give for it to be Monday already so she would have had to go to work instead of having to sit and endure this entire ordeal.

“Maybe you read too deep into the situation with that girl,” she offered softly, but her meaning strikingly obvious to everyone at the table. She wanted to challenge him right here, fine he was always up for one of those.
“Actually, I don’t think I read deep enough. I think she was just afraid of the truth.”

“Really? That’s interesting. So what do you think was the truth?” Liz queried softly realizing that the conversation had gone from taunting to serious in a matter of seconds. This was not something she wanted to discuss in front of his mother, but it was too late to stop.

“The truth was she wanted to be with me, she just didn’t know how.”

“Ha! You think you have it all figured out, don’t you?” she leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms indignantly.

“Yes. I do,” he answered assertively.

“Did you ever think she just didn’t want to be with you? That it was fun while it lasted but that was all it was, all it was ever going to be?” she asked incredulously.

Max leaned forward across the table until he was a few inches from her before speaking. “No, because when we kissed I felt what she felt, and in those moments I knew deep down she was hiding from her own feelings,” he offered candidly, waiting for her reaction.

Liz’s words were lodged in her throat. How did he know? How could he read into her that well and so easily? She had never given him any indication, or had she? She fought the fog that suddenly clouded her mind for a comeback, but to no avail. She had no rebuttal.

Diane saw how quickly the conversation grew and had managed sometime during Liz and Max’s banter to remove Veronica from the table. She escorted the woman outside and allowed her son some semblance of privacy knowing he hadn’t meant for the conversation to take the turn it had. Liz definitely had a spark that got her son’s emotions going, that was a very good quality, she laughed to herself in thought. Liz was just like she was a few years ago.

Liz watched as Max paid the bill before helping her from the table. She was near tears and she refused to break down. Why didn’t he just walk away, why didn’t he just leave her alone when she asked him to? Why did he have to continue to push her and wear her down? She was so much stronger than that, and she was determined to get home as quickly as possible and lock him out of her life for good.

<center>******</center>

After Veronica departed, Max drove his mother and Liz back home. The car ride was silent and filled with tension. Luckily they weren’t far from home, Liz thought thankfully.
Once they pulled up the driveway, Liz hopped out and turned to Diane once she exited the car.

“Diane, I wanted to apologize to you for this morning. It was very rude of me, and I just…”

Diane smiled and reached out a hand to place on Liz’s shoulder. “It’s okay. In fact, I took it as a compliment that I looked young enough to date someone my son’s age.” Diane winked and waved her goodbyes before heading to her front door, strategically leaving Max and Liz alone…again.

“I’ll walk you to your door…”

“No, thank you. I can manage just fine on my own.” Liz turned and made her way hastily to her door. Hoping to get there before he cut her off.

“I insist.”

“I don’t!” she hissed out over her shoulder, noticing how close he was to her.

“Liz, why are you doing this?” he asked as he increased his pace and stopped in front of her. She skirted around him and made it to her porch with a heavy sigh of relief.

“Max, just leave me alone. I mean it. I don’t want to argue with you, but just leave me alone,” she replied wearily hoping he would heed her words. Unfortunately for her, he didn’t.

Max stood back for a moment and watched her. He really should abide by her request but something inside of him kept telling him to pursue her, to not let her go that easily.

Placing the key in the lock, she turned it with a click and quickly stepped inside. However, just as she turned to close the door, he placed his booted foot into the door.

“Max,” she sighed tiredly.

“Just wait a minute. I know you think I won’t understand, but I do. You’re scared Liz and I won’t pretend to know why, but if you let me I can show you that you don’t have to be afraid of me or of what you feel.” He spoke softly yet determined emanated in every word.

“I don’t want you to, and I’m not afraid of anything!” she turned her back; she was too close to breaking down again. Why did he have that affect on her, she pondered for a moment before realizing it was because she allowed him to get too close. She had let her guard down this afternoon and she was sure that even though she couldn’t remember clearly, that she had let some of her guard down last night as well. She groaned inwardly at her carelessness.
“I believe that you think that’s true, but it’s not.” He reached out and caressed her cheek gently, watching closely as one lone tear feel from the corner of her eye.

And it was in that one sweet moment, he realized that what he felt for her was love. As obscenely premature as it sounded, he loved her. She froze at the touch but allowed him to pass over the threshold and wrap his arms around her. Max enveloped her petite body against his and rested his head gently against her shoulder.

Liz knew she should just push him out the door, but she was tired and she knew that if she was thinking clearly she wouldn’t allow him to hold her, to comfort her for something he knew nothing about.

“Max—” she started but he quickly lowered his head and covered her protest with his lips. He wouldn’t allow her to break the moment. Pressing his lips hungrily against hers, he coaxed them apart and slid his tongue inside. She moaned softly at the feel of his warm arms around her, his tongue gliding effortlessly against hers, stroking and caressing her and feel of the scratchy surface of his chin against hers. Max dragged his lips anxiously over hers and wished for the kiss to never end. He wanted to drag her to the bed and make love to her until she believed with all her heart that he truly did care about her.

Unfortunately for him, the phone rang at that exact moment, breaking their kiss abruptly. He pulled away reluctantly and followed her into the house, closing the door behind him. Max watched as she ran to the phone in the kitchen and heard her answer it.

While he waited patiently trying to get his breathing under control he had his first good look around the living room. His eyes landed on the couch first and he felt his body grow tight in memory of what took place in that very spot the night before. Moving along he noticed the desk in the corner with several pieces of papers thrown askew covering it.

Looking over his shoulder he could still hear her in the other room so he closed the distance and started thumbing through some of the pages. After a few quick glances he gathered that they appeared to be greeting cards.

How odd, he thought, as he lifted one up to read. He skimmed it and allowed it to slide through his fingers as he reached for another, and then another.

“What are you doing?” she asked standing behind him. He was caught and there was no denying it. He squared his shoulders, he wanted answers and he wasn’t leaving until he got them. Max turned to face her and handed her the page he was holding.

“Why are going through my personal things?” she asked harshly ripping the page from his fingers.

Deciding to ignore her question and ask one of his own, he stepped closer. “How can you write about love, when you tell me you don’t believe in it?”

“None of your damn business,” she bit out furiously, turning her back and hugging her arms around herself.

“Why are you so hypocritical?”

“Why can’t you just leave me the hell alone, like I asked you?”

“Not until you tell me why it is you go around spewing your nonsense about love when you obviously are hiding something.”

“I’m not hiding anything. In fact, I’ll have you know that I hate you and now you know. So see, I’m not hiding how I feel either, since you seem to think you know everything there is to know about me!” she argued back fiercely, she faced him now and her face was a mere breath from his.

“I never said that,” he rebuked sensitively.

“The hell you didn’t! Get out!”

“Not until you tell me why you can stand there on your high horse looking down upon everyone who God forbid thinks they have actually found someone they love and care about, yet you think they are fools for believing in it to begin with. That’s it just some fantasy they are caught up in.”

“Because they are! Because love is a waste of time! I don’t see why people bother, it’s a lie, a really good one, but a lie nevertheless,” she answered as her body shook with fury.

“Yeah, and what makes you the expert?” he demanded.

“Because, I gave my heart to someone a long time ago and he ripped it out, stomped on it and didn’t even feel sorry for it! That’s love Max, take it or leave it. It’s not all roses and kisses, it's cruel and uncaring and that is my reality!” By this point she was shaking and crying and she hated him even more for making her break down.

“Liz…God…I…” he reached out to hold her but she stepped back quickly.

“You what? You’re sorry? You want to fix me? You can’t because there is nothing to fix. The world is cruel and so are people, and its better to face that reality than to live in a fantasy world where you actually believe you are happy all of the time with another person, even though you never really know how they feel. Sure they can pretend like the best of them, but will they be there with you until the end? See Max people make promises that they themselves don’t even know if they can keep, if that’s love I would never wish it upon my worst enemy.” She finished with a deep sob and her hands closed over her face as she sank into a nearby couch. Max was by her side in an instant, kneeling in front of her, but mindful of not touching her. Whoever hurt her and broke her heart must have done it in such a way that instantly it destroyed her, but Max knew just by seeing how much it actually affected her, that she still wanted to believe but didn’t know how to anymore.

“Liz, just let me…”

“I said get out, Max and don’t come back! Pretend you don’t even know me!” she lifted her tear-stained face at him.

Too late, he thought staring at her still beautiful face, because now he had an idea of the root of her anger and denial. Now it was up to him so show her that nice guys were still around, and he was one of them.

“I’m sorry he didn’t love you, Liz.” Max reached out, despite her protests and stroked her hair.

“Don’t be. Now I know better it never was love for me either.”

“You can’t think it doesn’t exist because of that,” he started but she interrupted.

“But I do, don’t you get it?” she questioned seriously.

“You shouldn’t, because somewhere there is someone for you who would love and cherish you and be thankful that you were in his life. And put up with your mood swings, and your irresistible charm,” he continued on playfully. Liz just scoffed disbelievingly.

“What? It’s true. I’ve never met a woman like you. You are strong and determined and I think anything you want out of life, you will get.” He continued on sincerely as she turned away. Tears began to well up in her eyes once again and she cursed herself for letting him get to her so easily. Max reached out his hand and cupped her cheek, forcing her gently to look at him as she spoke.

“I was nineteen and I thought I was in love. We met in high school, got engaged and got married right after we graduated college. I hated school, but I stayed because of him. Anyway, we…we were married for a week. We were on our honeymoon and I caught him in bed with another woman…” she couldn’t continue, the pain from the past that she had locked deep in her heart, burst through and she collapsed in a fit of tears against his strong shoulder.

“God, baby I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have pried.” He felt terrible. He should have given her more time, but he never thought, never would have guessed she was married at one point in her life.

“No, it’s okay. Looking back, I realized how pathetic I was. Because even after I caught him and he didn’t deny what was going on, hell what had been going on for years, I took him back.” She sniffled and leaned back a little further from him, but still allowed him to stroke her back soothingly.

“Why?” The Liz Parker he knew wouldn’t stand for that, and so he had a small glimpse of the type of forgiving person she had been, rather than the hardened façade she put on for everyone else now.

“Because I loved him, or rather I was delusional as I like to call it. It’s a period in my life that I like to call, “The abyss of stupidity”. In any event, we got back from our honeymoon and he told me that he loved me, but felt we should have an open marriage. In other words he wanted to screw me, and half the neighborhood, which by the way, he was already doing by that point. Next thing I know he’s telling me one of his…girls on the side was pregnant. I left, got a divorce and never looked back. So you see Max, love is nothing but something we use to lure other people, to manipulate them into doing things they normally wouldn’t do. It’s an evil force.” She nodded her head definitely, not allowing for him to argue the point, but of course she knew he would. A rumble in her belly altered her to the fact that she was actually looking forward to hearing his version of love, and even his thoughts about her situation. What was wrong with her? Did she drink too much wine; this day was not turning out anything like she had planned.

“Only if it’s in the wrong hands,” he offered.

“Yeah, the human race,” she muttered under her breath causing them both to chuckle softly.

“You believed you loved him, so at one point you believed in love right?” he argued reasonably.

“Yes, but I was misguided and naïve. Which is why after that experience was past me, I knew I couldn’t continue down that path. I realized I couldn’t be someone’s doormat and I sure as hell would never be used that way again. I make my own rules and no one owns me.” She raised her head defiantly.

“Love is a feeling,” he murmured, moving closer to her lips.

“Maybe but it’s n-not real,” she whispered out, her lips had gone dry and her heart began to thrum roughly against her chest.

“How do you know?” he asked, his breath fanning gently against her cheek.

“Because you can’t touch it, and you can’t describe it. It’s one word and it’s a word that people overuse and have taken its meaning and made it a mockery of the world. Hell I write greeting cards about love, that husbands buy for their wives, and the irony of that? They are written by me, a woman he doesn’t not believe in it.”

“How do you know when you’re sad?” he asked, leaning closer to her ear, nipping at the soft lobe gently.

“Because I feel it, what’s your point?” she asked trying to sound harsh but it came out as a raspy whisper.

“That is my point. Love is not a thing that you can touch. It’s a thing that you feel and you breath. Your heart and your mind recognize it, but people manipulate it into something else. Love itself is pure, untouched and just waiting to fall into the right hands.” He moved back and looked deeply into her dark brown eyes, and watched as a touch of a smile reached her lips.

“Oh god! You sound like a sappy chick flick.” She reached out her hand and pushed his shoulder back playfully.

“Maybe, but I know one thing that you don’t,” his voice sounding confident.

“Yeah and what’s that?” she questioned with a gleam of curiosity in her eyes.

“You love me.”

“Ha! No the hell I don’t,” she denied transparently.

“You do. You just won’t let it in. But it’s there, right underneath the surface, and sooner or later, Liz, it will want out. So whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here.” Max smiled and kissed her lips softly, rose to his feet and walked out front door, leaving her with her thoughts.

Liz sat frozen in place, knowing in her heart that he was right but she promised herself she would never allow herself to fall victim to another man. And so she squared her shoulders, stood and walked across the room to lock the door. She made up her mind to avoid Max for good, at least that’s what she told herself as she walked towards her bedroom.

Too bad her heart was forcing her to feel something she had sworn she would never feel again. Oddly enough, it felt a lot like love.

TBC…

*again sorry for any mistakes, I will come back and fix them before I post the next part* Thanks!
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - And so I have returned from my Bon Jovi high...bringing with me and update (which is pretty long) and pictures!! Pictures can be found here: Bon Jovi if you're interested :)

*waves* to the new readers...thank you all for the encouraging feedback! I'm glad you are enjoying my little story...which by the way only has 2 more parts after this ;)

Maya
FSU/MSW-94
LairaBehr4
Force
begonia9508
candycane14
Shadowlynxbehr
Poison Ivy
Aussietrueblue
BehrObsession
Dreamsatnight
Clueless
RosyLady
Martine
jamy21
Liz86000
dreamer19
max and liz believer
roswell3053
Lurkers
Angela & Andre...yes I have been slacking, but I still thank you for your time and help!

Chapter Eight

It had been three long weeks since she’d seen him. His closing must have already taken place, since it seemed that he had already begun moving some of his things. Not that she was paying that much attention to him. Not in the least. Could she help that her living room window granted her a perfect view of his front door? And that when he loaded his car, she couldn’t help the ache she felt in thinking she might actually never see him after he finished moving?

Nonsense, she knew that. It didn’t mean anything, but she could admit that she would miss their banter and his smugness. It kept her entertained. Of course he would probably visit his mother, but he wouldn’t bother her. Damn him for making her care that he wouldn’t be irritating her any longer.

Lifting her notebook from the table and placing it in her lap she finished up the last of her work and was set to stuff the sheets of paper into the manila folders and ship them off. She needed to hurry along; she couldn’t be late for work again. Lately, it just felt like nothing mattered, but she had no idea why.

“Get a grip, Liz.” Giving herself a little pep talk as she sipped the last bit of her coffee, pulled on her heels and left the house.

Just as she reached her car, she was stopped by a familiar voice.

“Hi Liz,” Diane said from her front porch. Her son had explained everything that had transpired between them, and even though she understood her sons reasoning for staying away, she couldn’t help the sympathy she felt for Liz. It wasn’t long ago that she herself was in a similar situation.

“Hi Diane, how are you?” Liz asked nervously as she threw her briefcase and other paperwork into her backseat, then turned around to face Max’s mother.

“I’m doing good. Max is moving out next week…” Diane offered with a small smile, which she hid behind her cup of tea.

“Oh really? Well that’s great. I’m glad he finally settled on a house,” Liz smiled genuinely. Because despite what happened between them, she wished him well. Bah! To hell with wishing him well, her mind screamed. She almost ached to know what he was doing, and…and this was nonsense. She did not care about him, at least wasn’t that what she was trying to beat into her own head for weeks now?

Diane watched her closely, it seemed she was fighting and internal battle, which she could empathize with. “Actually, it was the house you came with us to see. Do you remember it?” she asked, surveying the look on Liz’s face closely. She hoped she was right and that Max wouldn’t be upset for her little interference. Women were complicated and sometimes they just needed a little push. It wasn’t as if she was telling Liz what to do with her life, just merely helping to settle some of the confusion. She had tried to explain to her son that sometimes women were their own worst enemy, which he just couldn’t understand because despite how he said he didn’t care that it had been weeks since Liz had spoken to him, he was not hurt. Not in the least, he adamantly explained to her…every day since then.

Liz’s heart stopped beating for a moment, did she remember, how could she forget? It was a beautiful house, one she wished she herself could live in, but was that it? Was that the only thing she was feeling? Taking a quick glance up at Diane, Liz couldn’t hide the pain she felt…in her heart. It was that familiar ache of longing, of wanting something she couldn’t have.

But why not? Why couldn’t she have him? Because he would break her heart, even if it was unintentional, she reminded her irrational head.

“Y-yes I do. It was a beautiful home, I’m sure he’s very happy about it.” Liz smiled weakly. She knew she needed to leave before she broke down, and that would not be good in front of his mother. Reaching for the driver’s side door she excused herself, but Diane’s question stopped her.

“Will you come to dinner tonight?”

“I…thank you but I don’t think that would be a good idea,” Liz rushed out breathlessly. Diane nodded but wouldn’t accept no for an answer, too bad for the nervous girl, she mused.

“We are going to be neighbors for a while, as it seems, and I just wanted to invite my neighbor to dinner, nothing fancy. Oh, and I promise that it will just be you and I,” Diane winked and offered Liz a knowing smile.

Liz couldn’t resist, she shook her head and firmed up the plans for dinner later that day.

Now she knew exactly where Max got his irresistible charm.

<center>*******</center>

She was pathetic, and there was no saving her. She knew it, but she also didn’t do a damn thing to stop it either. Resting her head against the steering wheel, she reached for her purse and fished out her cell phone.

After three rings the familiar voice picked up. “Maria, you need to come and get me,” she mumbled into the phone.

“Where are you?”

“Where do you think?” Liz muttered self-depreciatingly. It was the same place she went everyday for the past two weeks.

“I’ll be right there.” Maria hung up the phone and excused herself from work, saying that she would be taking an early lunch…again.

Maria was worried about her friend. For the past two weeks she had to rescue her from her current location and bring her back to work. And then afterwards she would visit her on her way home from work. She had never seen Liz this way, ever. Not even when she found out that her husband was cheating on her. Maybe, Maria thought, it was different then. Liz was different then, after that situation she didn’t expect much from the human race, but Max changed that. In a few short weeks he managed to wrap himself around her heart and her mind and now Liz didn’t know what to do with herself.

Maria wondered if Liz realized that what she was feeling, the longing, loneliness was true love. Probably not, she scoffed. Liz would never be the first to admit that she was really in love with Max. Maybe always had been…love at first sight. Liz would deny it and call it lust, but Maria knew better. Liz didn’t get that upset and angered by just anyone, and if she did, they would be dismissed, but not Max.

No matter how much he irritated her and argued with her, Liz always went back for more. She enjoyed the chase, it was about time someone chased her friend, and she deserved it. But what of Max? Michael had told her that he had never seen his best friend like that. Not that Max was walking around sulking, but Michael said he was just different.

Yeah, well love will do that to you, she smiled delightfully.

Finally, she pulled up to the parking lot where she spotted Liz’s car, parked in the far corner. She shook her head and took a deep fortifying breath, preparing herself for the confrontation that was long over due.

“Liz, get out of the car.” Liz nodded her head. She stood and fixed her skirt and jacket, without looking up into Maria’s knowing eyes. She hated that she needed her friend to physically remove her from where she was.

“What are you doing?”

Liz’s eyes began to water; she was never this weak in her life. Yet, one meaningful glare from Maria reduced her to tears. Damn him! Somehow this was all his fault, and when her mind cleared she would figure it out and go back to work, good as new…for today.

“I can’t help it. Do you see him? He looks so good, Maria.” Liz pointed over the railing to the construction site below. Max had worn a dark gray t-shirt and a pair of dark denim jeans, his usual work attire, but today it was different. God, she was a mess!

Maria looked down and caught sight of Max, and of Michael, with a small smile she turned to her friend.

“Maybe you should go talk to him,” she began, and watched as her friend took two steps back.

“Are you crazy! Why would I do such a thing?” Liz asked shaking her head, why was Maria not telling her to walk away, the way she did everyday?

“Because you’re in love with him, but you’re too damn stubborn to accept it.”

“I am not! I never said—”

“Sweetie, you don’t have to say it. It’s written all over your face. When you look at him, what do you feel?” Maria asked softly.

“I don’t feel anything but anger,” she answered honestly. Maria crossed her arms and nodded.

“Why are you angry at him?”

“B-because…Maria lets just go.” Liz turned and made a quick retreat…not quick enough though.

“Because why? Don’t lie to me Liz. I know you better than you know yourself sometimes, so tell me why are you running from him?”

“I’m not running! I hate him, Maria, don’t you understand?” Liz let out a shuddering breath; this was not what she wanted to talk about.

“I understand that your ex-husband was an asshole, who used you and played with your feelings, but that wasn’t Max. And you can’t continue to make him suffer for something he didn’t do.”

“I’m not making him suffer,” she denied vehemently. How was Max suffering? He’s the one that walked away…and you let him, her mind reminded her.

“So why are you angry with him? And why do you hate him?” Maria asked coming to stand in front of her friend. She saw the tears and knew they were real, but that wouldn’t stop her from making Liz understand what she was doing to not only herself, but Max as well.

“Because he walked away and hasn’t talked to me in weeks! He doesn’t care about me, he just wanted to sleep with me…” Liz trailed off, her soft sobs taking over full force, and she was quickly wrapped in Maria’s comforting arms.

Maria stroked her back gently, finally she admitted it, she thought. “Liz, what was the last thing he said to you?” she asked patiently.

“W-what?” Liz asked pulling away to wipe her tear stained face.

“You told me, that he said something to you before he left…but you never told me what it was. Now I’m asking, what did he say?”

Liz didn’t want to repeat it, because she knew that her last statement was false. She had avoided him. With a sigh of regret she began to explain their last few minutes together.

“…and then he said that, I loved him but I wouldn’t let it in. And that it was right underneath the surface…and that whenever I was ready that he would be there,” she sputtered out the rest through her tear clogged voice.

“And do you?” Maria asked, cutting to the heart of the matter.

Liz didn’t respond, she just looked over her shoulder at him. Was it love that she felt? But what if it was? Would he just get tired of her, be disappointed that she wasn’t all that he thought? Or would he…she stopped mid thought. Max never expected anything from her, he accepted her the way she was. He never asked her to change, and even though he didn’t need to put up with her bullshit, he did…but why?

“You do, don’t you?” Maria whispered out, not at all surprised when she saw her friend nod her head.

“I do. I don’t know when or how…but I do Maria. Now what am I supposed to do? I swore I would never fall in love again.” Liz’s voice was desperate; she needed a quick solution to the problem she created.

“Liz, I can’t tell you the right answer, but you need to do what you feel. If you love him, you need to tell him.”

“What if he doesn’t l-love me back? I can’t go through that again…I can’t,” she choked out a strangled cry. She had made a mess of her life.

Maria reached out her arms and rested her hands on her friends shoulder. “If he doesn’t love you back, its okay. It will hurt, but you will survive. Although…” she trailed off with a smile.

“What?”

“You are just being stubborn. The man loves you Liz, he didn’t say it but in so many words he has. He told you that he believed you loved him, and he told you when you were ready he would be there, if that’s not love, then I’m just a dumb blonde.” Maria joked, trying to get her friend to crack a little smile.

“Do you really think so? God! I’ve messed this up. He’s probably so angry with me…but…”

“But?”

“I’m having dinner with his mother tonight. Oh Maria, she said it would just be the two of us, what if she’s really angry with me and…”

“And you need to snap out of it. Max’s mother, from what you’ve told me about her doesn’t seem like the type of person to be spiteful. Liz maybe she’s just a concerned mother who is looking out for her sons best interest, which is you.” Maria smiled brightly and kissed her friend on the cheek.

“But he’s so young Maria.”

“Please, I know you are not climbing back on that old horse are you?”

“It’s true!” she argued persistently.

“Liz, he’s twenty four and very mature for his age, you on the other hand are eight years older and a lot less wiser. Hey,” she raised her hands in defense. “I just call it like I see it. I love you Liz and if I thought Max would hurt you, I wouldn’t be here talking to you. I would have dragged you back to work. Now go down there, and get your man.”

“I can’t!” Liz let out a frustrated sigh.

“Why the hell not?”

“It’s just not the right time. I’ll do it tonight, after dinner with his mother.”

“Liz…” Maria warned. They had finally made progress and she was shrinking away.

“Maria, just let me do it my way.”

“Okay, but do it soon Liz.” Liz nodded and hugged her friend goodbye.

She had some serious thinking to do. First of all she needed to get through dinner, and then if that went well she would be making a late night call at a certain construction workers home.

<center>******</center>

It was seven thirty on the dot, when Liz rang the Evans’ doorbell. To her surprise though, it wasn’t Diane that answered, it was Max. Great! Trust him to ruin her plans, just when she finally got the nerve to face him.

“Liz! What are you doing here?” he asked, his eyes roaming her body, God how he missed her. She looked as beautiful as ever.

“I-I’m here for dinner with you mother. I didn’t know you would be here,” she let out a shaky breath and hoped that she didn’t sound as nervous as she felt.

“Liz? Is that you?” Relief flooded Liz’s body. Diane poked her head around her sons arm and offered her a bright smile.

“Max, would you let the poor girl in?” Diane pushed Max out of the way and offered Liz inside.

“Thank you.” Liz smiled and tried to avoid Max’s hot gaze. She swallowed once, twice and then because she couldn’t resist she looked over her shoulder, and sure enough he was staring right at her. He looked confused, welcome to my world, she thought ruefully.

“I’m sorry, my son decided he would just drop in a few minutes ago. He was just leaving.” Diane pinned her son with a look that said he had better follow along.

“Right! I was just going to take a shower and then I was…uhm…going to the bar.” He improvised, since he of course had no idea what Liz was doing there. And for that matter, just what in the hell his mother was doing inviting her to dinner, on the same night she told him to come over for dinner? His eyes widened in realization, his mother was trying to play matchmaker.

Well it wouldn’t work. Liz had successfully avoided him for almost a month, even though he lingered outside, talking on his cell phone and packing his truck up with meticulous slowness just waiting to get a glimpse of her. The hell he would just fall all over her now that she was here.

“I’ll just to upstairs and shower.” Max brushed past Liz and made his way up the stairs.

“I’m so sorry, he just dropped in. Anyway, he’ll be gone soon and dinner is just about ready. Why don’t you follow me to the dining room, we can have a quick drink beforehand.” Diane smiled and ushered Liz into the next room. She did feel bad that she had set up the evening, but she knew that her son was too damn stubborn for his own good and he really did care about her, so she was just inflicting some motherly love his way.

Liz took a sip of her wine and tried to settle more comfortably in her chair. Diane had left her for a minute to get the food, which she insisted that Liz not help with. But how could she get comfortable knowing that Max was upstairs, naked and despite everything she thought before, she wanted to be with him. She had planned to have a nice dinner and then work up her nerves to speak to him, but now he was here and she lost all her nerve.

Diane emerged a few minutes later with a tray of chicken parmesan and then left her for another moment to get the pasta. It was an awful lot of food for just the two of them, she thought.

“Now, we are ready to eat,” Diane said once she was settled in her seat and lifted the bowl of pasta.

“Mom, I’m headed out,” Max called out from the living room, but Diane frowned, he was really leaving? What was wrong with him, surely he wasn’t that slow.

“Max Evans get in here!” she yelled for him and then turned her attentions to Liz. “I’m sorry dear, please eat up.”

“Oh, sure.” Liz smiled despite the fact that she suddenly felt ill. She thought he would leave the house and she wouldn’t need to see him.

“Yeah?” he peeked his head inside, fully intending on not entering the room. He did not want to see her again.

“What are you going to have for dinner?” Max rolled his eyes, and groaned.

“Something at the bar,” he mumbled out, knowing how much his mother hated him going to the bar to begin with, but she never said anything. Then again, she never really needed to say anything, her eyes did enough talking for the both of them.

“Do you want me to save you some dinner?” she asked with a smile in her voice.

“Ah…sure…what are you having?” He only asked because it smelt so good.

“Chicken parm,” she winked knowingly.

“Couldn’t you have waited until I left to serve it up?” he asked with a pout in his voice that made Liz giggle.

“And what is so funny over there?” he couldn’t help but smile at her. He had already entered the room, what was the big deal in teasing her?

Liz shook her head and tried to hide her smile behind her napkin, but it was futile. She burst out laughing the moment Diane did.

“So is this some kind of a joke? I don’t appreciate it,” he announced as he turned on his heels. Were all women so evil, even…he shuddered…his mother?

“Max come back!” Liz called out to her own astonishment.

“What?” he retorted blandly.

“Why don’t you stay, seeing as how this is your favorite meal?”

“How did you know that?” he asked surprised.

She shrugged her shoulders. “You did that little pouty thing with her bottom lip,” she looked away but continued on, “you always do that when you don’t get something you want.”

“Oh honey, she’s caught you there. You’ve done that for as long as I can remember,” Diane offered and Max scoffed lightly, as he pulled out a chair to take a seat.

“You sure I’m not imposing on your dinner?” he asked, his gaze directed at Liz.

“Not at all.” Liz smiled and as their eyes met, she felt her heart begin to race. She could do this. It was only dinner. Not a big deal at all.

<center>******</center>

“So Liz, what do you do for a living?” Diane asked as she sliced the warm angel food cake and fresh strawberries.

Max hadn’t said a word; he just let his mother and Liz talk during dinner. He was actually hungrier than he thought.

“I actually work as a paralegal, but that’s my day job. My other job is writing…greeting cards.” Liz finished quickly as she took a bite of the spongy cake. Her eyes tried to avoid Max’s but it was nearly impossible, seeing as he sat directly across from her.

“How interesting! I don’t think I’ve ever met someone that wrote greeting cards,” Diane smiled genuinely interested.

They continued to chatter on about Liz’s profession but all Max could do is focus on Liz’s lips as she bit into the strawberries. He tried to stop his body’s strong reaction to her, but it was pointless. At night, he would dream about her. And during his waking hours he would think about her, to the point of distraction. He needed to get over it. He needed to just let her go because she didn’t want him.

“I’ve always wanted to open my own store, and sell only my greeting cards but its just taking me a little longer than I planned,” Liz paused and sipped her coffee, and in that moment Max’s eyes lifted to hers, he had a question. Great, she hoped it wouldn’t be too terrible.

“I didn’t know that,” he said not realizing he’d said it out loud.

“Yeah, only Maria knows. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. Anyway, I applied for a loan so we’ll see how this one turns out,” she smiled and answered another of Diane’s questions.

“What do you mean, how this one turns out? Have you applied before?” he interjected softly. Liz turned her attention back to him and shrugged her shoulders, this was so much more than she planned on revealing at dinner.

“Yeah, I’ve been turned down at least a dozen times before.”

“Why, if you don’t mind me asking,” he said and they continue their conversation as if they are the only people in the room. Diane smiled to herself. She was a genius.

“Well, I have no collateral, and only a small down payment,” she answered, her eyes locked on his.

“But you own a house,” he said confused by why she would be turned down.

“What? No, I don’t. I rent it,” she answered and looked away blushing. She never had many things in life, but what she had she worked hard for. That didn’t mean it got her far in life.

He didn’t know…of course how would he if she didn’t let him in?

“What’s the name of the bank? I mean I just wonder if I’m familiar with it…” he trailed off trying not to sound too eager. In that moment a idea formed in his mind.

“First Bank Trust.”

“That’s funny.”

“What is?”

“Hmm, that’s where I get all my business loans from,” Max said as he stabbed his strawberry with a new found interest in it. He lifted it to his lips and took a big bite, to which Liz almost groaned out loud at. Was he doing that on purpose, she wondered.

“If you both would excuse me, I’m feeling quite tired suddenly.” Diane didn’t give either of them time to protest, as she left the room.

“Liz, can I talk to you for a minute?” he asked as she prepared herself to leave a few minutes later.

“Sure,” she smiled softly and turned to follow him outside. She took a seat on one of the rocking chairs on the porch. It soothed her, to her amazement; the soft back and forth motion.

“I wanted to apologize to you.”

“For what?” she stopped and looked up at him.

“For looking through your things that day. I had no right. And I’m sorry if I hurt you because of it. I just wanted…” he paused searching for the right words. Liz however remained completely still.

“I wanted to know you better. If I even thought for a minute it would have led to…to what you told me, I swear I would have let it drop. I can’t imagine what it was like and I don’t know your situation exactly, but I know my mom’s better than anyone.” Max looked down at her, before taking a seat next to her. Staring out into the night sky, he leaned his head back and began to explain a little piece of his life, which made him who he was today.

“My mom tells me she would never forget the day she had me, and even though she says it’s because she loves me so much, I think a part of her won’t forget what came right after I was born,” he started out slowly and watched from the corner of his eye how Liz watched him closely.

“My father wasn’t there when she had me, and when she brought me home from the hospital, he was there, but he wanted nothing to do with me. He saw me as this thing that got in the way of his happy life. He didn’t even want my mother to have me, but she said she loved me the moment she knew she was having me. She told me that after she told him she was pregnant, he changed and became cold. But she still loved him and thought he would come around…but he didn’t.” Max held back the tears that were threatening to fall, which is the last thing he wanted to do.

“W-what happened?” she asked softly, reaching out a hand to rest on his knee.

“The day after she brought me home, he left. He never said goodbye, just walked out of her life after four years of dating and three years of marriage,” he explained as he turned to face Liz.

“He never wanted kids. My mother did and she wanted me more than anything and was willing to risk her marriage to have me. Since my father was the only one working, my mother took me to my grandmother’s house. We lived there for a while, and my mother worked two jobs. She even went back to school and now she doesn’t have to work, I promised her when I turned seventeen that when I graduated high school she would never have to work again, if she didn’t want to. And after I graduated she quit both her jobs and volunteered her time at a homeless shelter and a battered woman’s shelter. She’s devoted her life to helping others and it makes her happy.”

“Max…” she started but he shook his head.

“Seeing me succeed, makes her happy. But I know she misses him, even though she has sworn that she hated my father. And deep down I believe her, but sometimes I think she misses what they had before she had me. You know what though?”

“What?” she asked, tears slipping down the side of her face.

“She doesn’t regret it. Not one single day of her life has she regretted having me. She told me it was hard but that she would do it again if I was the end result,” he smiled as he swiped the tears from his eyes. He never meant to tell her that much about his life.

Liz felt terrible, and her problems seemed so insignificant in comparison to what both Diane and Max had gone through. Looking at them, one could never have guessed that together they had made it through.

“I didn’t tell you this because I didn't want you to feel bad for me and my mom. I guess I just wanted you to know that I understand how you feel. We all have scars Liz and some run deeper than others, but that doesn’t make them any less important,” he said as he stood and kneeled in front of her.

Reaching out his hand he wiped away her tears, and waited until their eyes locked. He would give her time. He would give her the world, God if she would just let him in.

“I love you, Liz. You don’t have to say it back but I wanted you to know.” Liz didn’t know what to say, and thankfully, as always Max understood. He smiled and kissed her cheek softly.

“Max…I…I…” I love you, it was on the tip of her tongue, but it wouldn’t come out.

“Goodnight, Liz.” He stood and smiled down at her.

“Goodnight, Max.”

She was a coward.

TBC…

Sorry for any mistakes guys...
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N –Well I just finished up this part, it was pretty much done just had to end it. There is one part left, which is the epilogue. I will tell you that I’ve been toying around with doing a sequel to this but no promises there. Keep an eye on my website for update info on all my fics (link in my siggy).

Anyway…I hope you enjoy this part! Thanks for all the feedback!!

FSU/MSW-94
candycane14
martine
BehrObsession
dreamer19
clueless
Earth2Mama
Alien614
LairaBehr4
roswell3053
hazz
begonia9508
aussietrueblue

Queen Fee – Hi, to answers your question about Confessions…its coming along slowly but I honestly don’t know if I’ll get to it this year…more than likely it will be early next year…I know long wait, but I’m going to be moving in a few months so I have a lot to get done. Thanks!Poison Ivy
frenchkiss70
Michelle in Yonkers
jamy21
Ellie
Shadowlynxbehr
OmegaRam1

Reamhar
Drogyn

Lurkers

Chapter Nine

Yet another week had past before she would see him again. In fact, she was kicking herself that it had taken her that long to go and see him.

Shifting the car in park, she stared out her windshield at the home in front of her. It was breathtakingly beautiful and she would never tire of seeing it. Today, she knew that there would be an audience but she couldn’t wait any longer. Max was having a party at his new house and had invited her this morning, she had told him she wouldn’t be able to make it, but that was a lie.

She was scared to let go, so she was hesitating, that was until she received a phone call that very morning from the bank. Telling her she was approved for her loan.

Now, being the level headed person she was, she knew there was no way any bank would extend funds to someone with no collateral, especially not a small business loan and no promise that her store would even make a profit.

And that’s when she knew it had to be Max. Whatever he did or said, she knew it was because of him that she was approved. That because of him she got the loan, she still wasn’t sure how she felt about that.

On one hand she was happy she was finally going to get the chance to do what she’s wanted to do for years, but on the other, it was because of him that it was happening. The stubborn side of her was furious with him for meddling in her life, but the other part was thankful for all that he’s brought into her life.

How could she just walk away from him after he already told her he loved her? She smiled in reflection, he had waited so long to hear her say the words, and this time no matter what she was not going to back down. She owed this to him, to Maria and most of all to herself. She would just worry about the loan later, first things first; she had something important to take care of.

It was time she stopped living in the past and started living in the now. Maria was right, Max did love her, and just the way she was. And despite her earlier protests, she knew she loved him more than she ever loved anyone in her entire life.

Finally she made her way out of the car and towards the front door. After ringing the bell just once, the door opened to reveal, Diane.

“Liz, I’m so happy you made it.” Diane smiled happily, she knew the girl would come around eventually, and for the sake of her son’s heart, she was thankful.

“Me too,” Liz said as she gave Diane a hug, knowing that it was because of that dinner she’d obviously arranged, that she and Max ended up together that night.

“He’s upstairs,” Diane said as Liz entered the house. Liz nodded her thanks but when she reached the first step she heard Diane’s voice once again.

“I think he’s been waiting for you.” Liz couldn’t help the smile that formed on her lips. Maybe she wasn’t too late after all, of course that was the reason why she was so nervous. She now knew how she felt about Max, and it would be her luck that he was tired of waiting for her.

She wasn’t sure exactly where he was, but then a thought entered her mind, and suddenly she knew exactly where he would be. Taking her steps quickly, she hesitated as she approached the door to the room. The door was cracked open, and even though she couldn’t see inside, she knew he was in there.

Taking a fortifying breath, she reached out and opened the door.

<center>******</center>

Max knew he was sulking; he was becoming a pro at it. So what, he wanted Liz there to see his house. Even though it was lacking in the furniture department, only because he just couldn’t decide what he liked more. Leaning his head against the window, he closed his eyes and tried to imagine, not for the first time, what it would have felt like if she had told him that night that she loved him.

He knew it was wishful thinking, she was hurt and he understood. Except deep down he didn’t understand, he loved her, which is something he wasn’t prepared for when he met her. It wasn’t supposed to be complicated, they were supposed to have a good time, maybe date a little and then they would go their separate ways.

But it didn’t work out that way, she was different and he couldn’t help his attraction to her. It was more than that, he reflected, there was something pure and untapped that he yearned to learn what it was that made her the way she was.

Now he knew, he let out a soft laugh. He knew that her husband destroyed her faith in people and that the only person she let see her was her best friend, Maria. Max liked Maria. She was good for Michael, ten times better than his ex. He was happy for them and hoped that things worked out well between them.

Max had faith though, if it was meant to be then she would come. And when she did he would be waiting for her, right in this very spot. In the spot, they shared their last real kiss.

“I hope I’m not disturbing you,” came her soft, sweet voice from the doorway.

She came! His heart soared. He was never this emotional about anything…except for her, he corrected.

“Liz,” he started to stand but she halted him with her raised hand, then she turned and closed the door behind her.

“Let me speak, please,” she asked and waited until he leaned back into the position he was in prior to her entering the room.

She smoothed out her dress, and pushed her hair back away from her face, before speaking. She stood in front of him and decided for once it was her turn to go to him, and she did. Without the slightest hesitation she sat right beside him.

Max watched her closely, as his heart began to thrum rapidly in his chest. She looked amazing, and the dress looked new, was it for him, he wondered wildly. He wanted to touch her, to run his hands through her hair and down the entire length of her body. He ached for it in fact.

“I was seventeen when I met him and fell in love the moment I saw him, or at least I thought it was love. It’s taken me this long to realize that he didn’t love me at all, he loved the idea of me. And I was in love with the idea of being in love, and it was enough then,” she paused and that’s when she realized she was even closer to him than before, did he move or did she? No matter, she was right where she wanted to be, right where she belonged. Why had she fought it for this long?

“I was happy, I guess. I mean I was, but now that I look back I knew there was something wrong, but I ignored it thinking our love,” she spat out sourly, “would be enough to make it better.”

“It’s funny all that time I was holding onto hate for a man, I never even really knew, but I married. I was the fool then, but I’m so tired of fighting myself and beating myself up over something that wasn’t meant to be.”

Max honestly didn’t want to hear about her talking about her ex, but he knew she needed to get it off her chest. He just hoped she had a small place reserved for him in that broken heart of hers.

Liz reached out her hands and wrapped them around one of his. She let out a soft sigh, before reaching up and cupping his cheek gently, urging him wordlessly to face her.

“I was scared Max, so scared that what I was feeling was wrong. That I would make another mistake that would take me another decade to get over, but then…” she tried to find the right words but they were slipping away with every breath she took.

“Then what, baby?” he whispered out and she smiled past her tears.

“Then I realized that I was blaming you for all the mistakes he made. And I was so wrong, and I’m so sorry, Max. I should have told you a long time ago that…” She leaned in and cradled his face in her small hands, just as his hands came around her waist and pulled her into his lap.

“I love you, Max. I think I’ve loved you from the first moment we met, if that’s even possible,” she murmured out right before his lips closed over hers. He pulled her closer, and wrapped his arms around her back, as his tongue delved deeply into her mouth.

“God, I feel like I’ve waited forever to hear those words from you,” he whispered out as he pulled back to kiss her cheek, her nose, her eyes, and finally her lips once again.

A moment later though, she broke the kiss and ran her fingers over his moist lips. “I’m still mad at you though,” she teased.

“About what? I haven’t seen you in a week, I couldn’t have done anything to upset you in that amount of time.” He reached for her hand and placed it around his neck.

“The loan, Max. Why did you do it?” she asked, trying not to let the hurt in her voice be heard. She could get passed it, but she had to know why he’d interfered.

“Liz, what are you talking about? I had nothing to do…wait, did you get it?” he asked, excitement written all over his face.

If he didn’t do it…then…she must have gotten it on her own, she thought with a bright smile. She loved him even more for not being involved, if possible.

“Yes, they called me and told me. I couldn’t believe it, and I thought you had to have something to do with it,” she explained, wrapping her arms more tightly around his neck.

Max took that opportunity to nuzzle her neck softly. “I wouldn’t dare cross you like that, are you kidding me? I learned from my last experience of prying in to your life to never do it again.” He smiled against her, leaned his head back and sealed his lips to hers. They both moaned at the contact, kissed each other hungrily, and in that instant they realized that they needed each other more than words could say.

“I love you, Liz. I promise…”

She halted his words with a finger against his lips. “Don’t promise me anything, I don’t need promises anymore, I’ve had enough of those.” She smiled and tugged him back down for another searing kiss.

Pulling away breathless, he held her tightly to his chest. “Is this a new dress?” he asked with a smile in his voice.

“It is. I got it for you, do you like?” she asked with a teasing smile playing on her lips.

“I love it, baby. I’ve missed you,” he whispered into her ear, as his hands traveled down her back and landed on her round bottom.

“Hmm…I’ve missed you too, Max. I don’t know how I went that long without kissing you.” She wriggled around in his lap and froze when she felt his thick erection between her legs.

“Did you lock it sweetheart?” he asked already pulling her dress over her head. She had nothing on but a pair of skimpy panties, he couldn’t wait to have her.

“I think so,” she mumbled out as his hot lips attached to her aching breast. Her hands tunneled through his hair as he gently sucked each soft mound. Her breath came out in gasping moans, and she realized that it would always be this way with him, and all because she loved him.

“Good enough for me,” he smiled against her temple. He was busy unbuttoning his jeans and pulling them down his legs, watching as she held herself above him, waiting impatiently for their bodies to join. God, he wondered if it would always be this intense with her.

“What are you smiling at?” she asked, gasping when he’d finally freed himself from the confines of his jeans, and slipped his hands around her waist.

“About how good this is going to feel,” he groaned as she settled herself over him, slowly sheathing her body over his. He gripped her hips and slowed her motion; he had something to say, “Baby?”

“Hmm…yes?” she moaned out as she continued to move over him, enjoying the feel of finally being able to make love to him.

“Look at me,” he gasped as she moved her hips, surging him deeper inside of her slick passage.

Once their eyes locked, he closed his eyes and kissed her lips, and when he opened them, he took in a shuddering breath at the look she gave him. She really did love and trust him. It was something he heard her say already, but actually seeing her open herself up to him completely, was something he would never forget for as long as he lived.

“I love you, and I will love you for the rest of my life.”

“Max,” she gasped, she was so close and his words were the balm healing her heart and soul. Taking a look at him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and ground her hips roughly against his, causing both their bodies to shudder in ecstasy. It was that final push they needed to go over the edge.

“I love you, Max. And I know this is for real,” she said as she panted for air. Max pushed her hair away from her face and framed it in his large hands. With their bodies still joined, he placed butterfly kisses anyplace he could reach.

“And how do you know this is for real?” he questioned holding her tightly.

“Because Max, despite everything I went through to get to this point. To this exact moment in my life, I would do it all over again, if it meant that in the end, I would have you.” They smiled at one another knowing that promises need not be shared, because what they had was so much more.

<center>The End</center>

Epilogue to follow soon!
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - And so another story has come to an end for me, which is good but sad. I hate parting with characters sometimes, and this Max and Liz is one of them. Thank you for all the feedback from start to finish, I can't say enough except that I am very grateful. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

I have to give a special thanks to Andre (Drogyn) and Reamhar (Angela) for all their help and support with the majority of this fic. I have a hard time keeping up with betas, even though I need them, but time does not always allow me that. So thanks to you both!!

Lastly...La'Shon...my girl...who I can gossip with for hours on end. I will never change my mind about a certain person, but just know I don't hold it against you *lol* Love you girl!

Hope you enjoy this part!

Tanya

Vampyrax
LairaBehr4
Queen Fee
begonia9508
Strawberry88
jamy21
BehrObsession
Maya
Aussietrueblue
Ellie
candycane14
clueless
roswell3053
martine
dreamsatnight
frenchkiss70
Earth2Mama
RosyLady
Mariael311
Michelle in Yonkers
Lessie
Alien_Friend
L-J-L 76
Lurkers

Chapter Ten

Epilogue

“Are you nervous?” Diane asked Liz while they waited for Max to make his appearance. Her son had come a long way in a short amount of time, and she knew she had Liz to thank for it. Although it was touch and go for a little while, she knew deep down things would work themselves out. And if they didn’t, well then, she would have meddled just a little in her motherly way. Just a gentle push…Or shove, whichever would have been best effective in that situation.

Diane knew that her son was mature for his age, due to their situation and she could admit that she leaned on him maybe too much. Everyday she tried to make it up to him, and was certain to always remind him how important he was to her, and how she never regretted her decision. Because to her, despite what his father did, she would never leave him and he would never have to worry about being left alone.

It took her a long time to get over the hurt her husband had inflicted upon her, selfishly. Looking back, she had to wonder if he truly thought she would pick him over her own son. No matter, it was over and done and she didn’t regret a single moment of it, not when she saw her son healthy and happy, and now more in love than she could have ever wished for him.

Liz Parker had crept into her sons’ heart, little by little. Oh how he fought it, as well as she, the girl was definitely a fighter. What a pleasure it was to see him going after what he wanted the most, no matter how frustrated he seemed to get over the entire situation. She never thought he’d settle down, but thankfully he did.

Would wedding bells be ringing soon? She glanced at the petite brunette standing off to the side of her, and shook her head. No, it would be a quite a while before they were ready for that step, but what an interesting experience that would surely be.

“I am, but I think Max is more nervous. I don’t know why, I’m the one that is either going to sink or swim with this business,” she finished with a crooked smile. Liz wasn’t sure if she had thanked Diane enough for all her support these past few months. When they started upon this adventure, as she liked to call it, in finding the perfect location since the one Liz had originally sought out had been ‘all wrong’, as Max had put it. Diane of course agreed. And instead they took the next few weeks looking for the perfect location for her store.

Today was the day, the keys were in her hands and she officially owned a business. It was a long way from opening day, but it was still hers and she was so grateful she had so many people to share it with.

“Liz, your business will be great! Please, you are too much of a fighter to not succeed.” Maria commented while checking her watch, where the hell was Michael?

“You are supposed to say that, you’re my best friend.” Liz added with a smile. Why was it taking Max forever to get his sexy ass downstairs, she wondered. She hadn’t seen or heard from him since she arrived a half hour ago. He couldn’t possibly be taking that long to get ready.

“True, but I mean it.” Maria stood from the couch and decided she would excuse herself and call Michael.

“Maybe I should go up and get him?” Liz hedged on softly, wondering if maybe there was something wrong. Diane simply smiled and agreed it was the best idea and that she would be in the kitchen.

Liz took a deep breath and made her way up the stairs to his bedroom.

<center>****</center>

Max paced his bedroom for the hundredth time since his mother announced that Liz had arrived.

Why was he doing that again? Oh that’s right because he was nervous. What if things went terribly wrong and she got upset with him again? They were doing so well these past couple of months and he didn’t want anything to impede their progression.

So maybe he should just wait. Maybe a few more months…yes, that’s what he’d do. Running a hand through his hair he turned and walked into the bathroom. Brushing his teeth for the third time, he glanced down and saw her hairbrush, and perfume sitting on the counter. A small smile touched his lips in thoughts of waking up with her every morning and seeing not just a few things of hers throughout his room, but several things.

Touches of Liz all around the house.

That’s what he wanted, but what if she didn’t? What if it was too much, too soon for her? He could handle the disappointment, but that would surely deter him from asking again in the future. How would he know how long was long enough to ask again? He sighed again, feeling torn between what he wanted and…

“Max?” He froze in place; did he really take that long?

Liz entered the room, without knocking, as she was now accustom to and smiled when she saw him standing looking a fright in the middle of the room.

“Hey baby, did I take too long?” he asked, crossing the distance between them to wrap his arms around her and kiss her soundly on the lips.

“Yes, I was beginning to think you didn’t want to come,” she pouted and then poked his side playfully. She couldn’t remember a time in her life when she was as carefree as she was with Max. Looking up into his eyes, she couldn’t help but feel a swell of love that he loved her without question. She never had to doubt his feelings, because they were clearly written on his face every time he looked at her.

However, at this moment there was an indescribable look on his face. “What’s wrong?” she pulled back and asked.

“Nothing,” he answered, too quickly.

“Max, seriously if you don’t want to come it’s okay.” No it wasn’t but if it wasn’t that, then what was the matter? His arms tightened around her and he leaned down to hug her tightly.

“Tell me,” she pushed back feeling hurt.

“I wanted to talk to you before we left today. I was going to wait until later, but I wanted to focus all my attention on you and your plans for the store and with this on my mind I know I wouldn’t be able to. I just…” he rambled on and Liz lifted her hand to his cheek, stilling his words.

“Whatever you have to say, just say it.” She offered him a reassuring smile, even though she felt less than.

He swallowed thickly and reached for her hand, leading her to the private terrace just outside his bedroom. They had shared many nights on there, having dinner, making love and just talking.

“Just stand right here…and don’t say anything until I finish, okay?” he asked hesitantly. Liz could tell he was nervous, which was a rare thing for Max. She responded with a nod.

Max reached into his front pocket, pulled something out and then smiled down at her. Suddenly looking into her incredibly beautiful, brown eyes, he felt the nervous energy escape him and a sense of calm ushered forward in its place.

“I know that today is a really big day for you and without a doubt I want to share that with you. I want to share everything with you, Liz.” Max smiled when he saw her eyes tear up, how easy it was to make her cry tears of happiness, he thought with pride. He would be the only man for the rest of her life to make her happy and keep her that way. It was his job and he took it very seriously, which is why this step was extremely important in the scheme of things.

“You’re making me nervous now,” she let out a little laugh, as she felt him take her hands in one of his larger and squeeze it reassuringly. All those doubts she once had about men, had seemed to disappear since her relationship with Max grew stronger. She was in love, honestly and truly and there wasn’t anything she wouldn’t do for him.

“I never knew I could be this happy with one person, Liz. I really didn’t and I’ve told you that a thousand times, but I’m happiest when I’m with you. I love the mornings when I get to sleep in, and you stay the night, waking up in your arms is just…” he looked up and smiled. “Perfect.”

“I know, it is for me too,” she whispered out softly.

“And that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I want you to have this,” he opened his other palm for her to see what he held inside of it.

“You want…” she left the question hanging in the air as she watched him nod his head.

“I want you to move in here, with me. I know it’s a big step, but its one I want to make with you. I want to wake up every morning with you, not just some and I want to come home and see you, and I want to go to bed every single night for the rest of my life with you in my arms. Tell me you’ll move in,” he urged her on and waited with baited breath for her to give her response.

In that one moment, all of Liz’s emotions hit her at once, happiness, fear, apprehension and faith. She had been lacking faith for a long time, but now with Max in her life, she knew it was okay to hope and it was okay to dream. Would he be the one that would protect her and love her for the rest of her life? She didn’t need to really think about that, not when her heart knew the answer was yes. More than that though she trusted him.

“I will.” She said brightly and lunged herself in his arms, allowing the silver key in his hand to fall to the ground.

Max let out a sigh of relief and of happiness, holding the love of his life in his arms.

“Are you happy?” he asked, pulling her back into their bedroom.

“Very,” she smiled and followed him out the room and down the hall to their waiting quests.

<center>****</center>

“This place needs a lot of work,” Liz grumbled now that the dust settled and she owned the small building, situated right on the corner of a very busy street. It was the prime location for a business just starting out. But it was in terrible condition and it seemed like it would take forever to get it to the point of opening the doors to the public.

“Well, baby that’s what Michael and I are here for and don’t forget Alex. We will get this place in shape in no time at all.” Max wrapped his arms around his girlfriends’ waist and settled his chin against her shoulder.

“You’re right. I mean you guys can work day and night, that is after you finish your other job. We can get this going, then I can take care of hiring someone help…I hope they don’t expect to get paid that much. I already gave my job my two weeks notice and I won’t have that income coming in to help…” As Liz ticked off the things that worried her most from her long list, everyone around her was sharing a knowing look.

“You don’t expect we’d let you handle all of this alone, did you?” Diane asked, interrupting Liz’s rant.

“What are you talking about?”

“Liz, my mom is going to help you out until the business gets going. And Maria will be here everyday helping you out after work. And Michael and I…well as soon as we get off work, we’ll meet up here and get things done. We know this is your baby, your dream, we just hoped you’d be able to make some room for us.” Max shrugged his shoulders as he watched her confusion settle into understanding. Was she going to want to be her stubborn self and do it all herself? He hoped not, otherwise he’d have to convince her tonight, in bed…and wouldn’t let her go until she agreed.

Actually, he thought, it might not be so bad if she rebuffed him. Caught up in his torrid daydreams, he almost missed her response.

“As hard as it is, as you all know for me to step back and accept help…I just want to thank you. It means a lot that you would do this for me, to help me.” The women just gathered in a group hug while Max and Michael shrugged over their shoulders, hoping the moment would pass quickly.

“So you’re not mad?” Max asked later that same day, as they all sat down to dinner.

“Not at all. I’m thankful. And I know I owe a lot of it to you, Max.”

“Only a little, you did the hard part baby.” Max smiled and kissed the back of her hand.

“Enough of the kissing and whispers, can we just eat already?” Michael grumbled and Maria slapped him on the back of the head with her napkin. They all let out a laugh before settling down to dinner, like a big extended family, which they had transformed into.

Sometimes it took time for love to catch up with the rest of us…for Liz it had finally landed on her doorstep…Or rather, he landed on her doorstep, smug and cocky with a love made especially for her.

<center>THE END</Center>