Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/13 Part 20 pg9

Post by trulov »

kay_b - thank you. still - there might be a few bumps in the road ahead for M&L
flyawayraven - thank you & yes, things are going smoothly for now, aren't they? As for the Nicolas - its hard to think that the people you've known for many years - the people you trust - could betray you.
natalie36 - thank you - yes there will be much more Kal and Liz moments to come - she's going to need him!
Wench on a Leash - thanks for you comments - yep - Max's whole world is about to become one big struggle. As for tess, its hard to tell how the future events will affect her - we all have good and evil within us - maybe her more then most b/c she's had Nasedo as her example
katydid - we'll just have to wait and see what the scion has to say. As for Michael and Isabel - unfortunately, they will begin to resemble more of their characters from the show. i think Liz always brought out a kind of jealousy - us or them mentality - for them. that won't change too much here - although they are older and should be wiser.

Thanks to all of you for reading! I'm having a blast writing this - here's the new part - hope you like! :D

Chapter 21

Liz knocked softly on Kal’s door. “Yeah?” she heard him answer from inside. She opened the door, and stood in the doorway, watching him.

He was sitting at the desk, a cigar burning next to him, hunched over a stack of papers, jotting down notes here and there. It was the picure of her earliest memory of him - working at his desk. It warmed her to see it - something recognizable from her life - something that was unchanged, when every other part of it seemed to have been turned upside down recently.

“Evans gone?” he asked, not looking up.

“Yes. We’re…we’re going to get together tomorrow night.”

Kal pushed his chair away from his desk, tossed his pen down, and pinched the bridge of his nose. Why was she doing this? Of all the things she had to be stubborn about - why did she have to fight him about this?

“I’m sorry.” He looked up quickly at her apology - saw the regret on her face. “For how I’ve been acting - for how I’ve been treating you. You didn’t deserve it and I’m really sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for, Liz.”

She walked into the room, stood beside the large desk and asked, “So…we’re going to be okay, Kalvin?”

“Of course - we’re going to be…we are fine.” Kal assurd her, the heaviness in his chest finally lifting, now that she was no longer angry with him.

That, however did not mean he wasn’t still angry with himself.

“He’s not like you said he would be, you know.” When Kal just looked at her, she continued. “Max. He is…closed off - but i don't think he even realizes he's doing it - he doesn't even know how lost he is."

“He’s exactly like I said.” Kal responded harshly. “You just haven’t seen it yet. People - aliens - no one changes Liz. Max Evans is what he was - period.”

“He said this was his third life - what was he like…before,” Her finger pointed to the ceiling, “Up there?”

Kal shrugged, “He was royalty - selfish, ungrateful - blind to the hardships of others, to everything that didn’t benefit him. That’s why it was so easy for Kivar. Zan…never even saw him coming.”

“Well he wasn’t anything like that tonight. He defended you - said I shouldn’t be too hard on you.”

Kal was unimpressed, “He defended me because he is me. There‘s no boundaries with him Liz, believe me. He will do anything - hurt anyone to protect his secret and get home. Trust me - I know - I was him once.”

When Liz saw Kal’s eyes cloud over she couldn’t help but ask, “Kal, why are you so afraid of Roswell? I mean, I know what you said - what he told you about keeping me away, but - is that it or are there other reasons?”

Kal licked his lip, unable to tell her everything. So he said simply, “I’ve done things Liz, horrible things - things I’m ashamed of. Before…before you… I was different - like them. That’s how I know how dangerous they are.”

“But you changed - you’re not that person anymore. How do you know Max Evans isn’t a different man too?”

“Because you changed me - knowing you, raising you. Having you in my life - someone - a human - who was more important to me then me. That’s what changed me. And maybe - maybe having you in his life would have changed him too - but you weren’t. He made sure you weren’t. Remember that - there is a reason that man - a man who loved you - came back to keep you away from Roswell. I believe it was to save the world - but I think it was to save you too - from him and his life - this whole world.” Kal finished passionately.

“I can’t just leave, Kal” Liz explained, willing him to understand. “I promised I’d help him - I wouldn’t be here now if it wasn’t for him. And…I don’t want this following us the rest of our lives. I don’t want to look behind me, wondering if some being from another planet is finally catching up. This is the only way.” She paused and saw Max Evans’ face before her - his intense gaze, “It won’t be so bad. I’ll get to know him, I’ll learn to trust him, he’ll take the scion - and then we’ll go home, back to our lives - our world.”

Kal was quiet for a moment and then asked, “Remember when you were six, and you found that stray German Shepard? And I said you couldn’t keep it - that he was too wild -too dangerous?” Liz nodded her head, remembering the dog, “But you begged and bargained and cried - there was lots of crying. And eventually, I gave in. Do you remember what happened after that?”

“The dog bit me, and I had to get nineteen stiches.”

“And I wanted to shoot the god damn thing. But more then that - I wanted to shoot myself - because I knew it wasn't safe but I let you have your way. I should have said no - tears and all. And now…” Kal swallowed, “I feel like its happeninig all over again - like I’m just here, waiting for you to get bit.”

“But I’m not six years old anymore.” Liz answered him sympathetically. “I’m a big girl now - and I‘m going into this with my eyes wide open. Everything will be alright - I promise. Before you know it we’ll be leaving here - together.” And then she hugged him, trying to give him some reassurance.

Kal knew she believed what she said, but he knew it may not be a promise she could keep.

Despite his misgivings, Kal changed the subject, knowing it was pointless to discuss it further now, “So, how about dinner? Pizza again?”

“Yuck, no - one more slice and I’ll O.D. Hey - how about sushi?”

Kal looked at her like she had grown a second head, “Are you crazy? Do you know where we are? Sushi in New Mexico - you have a death wish?”

Liz just laughed at his comment - happy that he seemed less stressed, less worried - glad that they were back to normal again.

The next day, Maria Deluca pulled up to the motel where her friend, and “godfather” were staying. She’d talked to Liz several times since she’d left the hospital, but this would be the first time she’d come to visit. Liz had sounded terrible on the phone, and Maria assumed she needed more time to recuperate - and having company wouldn’t help that. But when she’d talked to Liz that morning, she’d sounded so much better, she had told her she’d be by that afternoon.

Taking the large bouquet of daisies off the passenger side seat, Maria turned to walk to her friend’s room, and that’s when she saw him - and for her the world stood still. At the other end of the parking lot, at its edge, was an inmistakable black motorcycle. Despite the helmet, she’d recognize the wild brown hair peeking out, anywhere. She could see his piercing brown eyes in her mind - eyes that held so much, though he said so very little.

Michael Guerin.

She’d had the biggest crush on him, one that she’d never confessed to anyone - even Alex - ever since the semester they’d had wood shop together. He’d never noticed her, but he, with the bad boy attitude and the sexy motor cycle had been impossible to miss.

It was that class that had born her feelings for him - or his final project - as crazy as it sounded. He’d made a wooden box, with an intricately carved lid of detailed stars and planets, and a whirlwind symbol in the center. It had been mahogany, sanded smooth and shiny with polish. It had been magnificent.

And Maria had been fascinated - wanting to know more about a boy who was so abrasive on the outside but who held such a beauty within him to create something so lovely. They’d barely spoken a word to each other, they didn’t have the same friends, and he rarely attended school to begin with, but she’d always kept an eye and an ear out - for some glimpse, some piece of gossip, about him.

Although she’d tried not to, as the years went by, she lost track of him, busy with her band and their music. She’d told herself her interest in him had been silly - part of her teenage rebellion - him being everything her mother had always warned her about. But still she’d never forgotten him. And now here he was right in front of her.

She wondered how he was - what he did for a living? An artist perhaps? Was he married? Did he have children? What was he doing at a motel in the middle of the afternoon? Was he just passing through town? Would this be the last time she ever saw him?

Maria sighed as she saw him drive away, and the world began to move once more. She mentally shook herself, determined not to dwell on things that could never be, and Michael Guerin was simply out of her reach.

Michael looked around the parking lot and surrounding area - looking for skins. Despite Max’s assurances that Langley was protecting Liz, he didn’t trust that the shape shifter wouldn’t be ambushed and over taken by a group. And so he’d been patroling the area, a few times each day, since Liz had gotten out of the hospital, looking for anything unusual. It was definitely in their best interest to keep Nicolas away from Liz Parker, and he would do everything in his power to make sure that was how it stayed.

Doing one last scan of the area, his eyes froze on the petite blond, standing next to a red Jetta. A green eyed siren who occupied a permanent space in his fantasies.

Maria Deluca.

She hadn’t seen him in almost ten years, but he had seen her. When her band had had their first real gig in town, he couldn’t help but slip in the back to watch. Just as she’d been in high school - there was a fire, a light in Maria that drew him in. After the first time he’d heard her sing, he’d been hooked - addicted - and although she never knew, he’d gone to see at least part of every local show she’d had since.

But as always, Michael stayed in the back - hidden - distant. The way it needed to be.

Turning his attention back to his task, and seeing nothing unusual, he started his bike and drove away from the motel and the girl in the parking lot.

She was everything he could never have - the less he saw of her, the better.

“Holy crap! Would you look at this place!” Maria exclaimed as Liz let her into the motel suite.

“I’ve been looking at it! For five days, Maria - I’ve looked.” Liz joked, so glad that her friend was here.

“So, you think Kal would like, adopt me?” Maria asked, straight faced, fingering the granite countertop in the kitchen.

“Umm, I think one daughter is aging him prematurely - he probably wouldn’t survive two.” Liz answered.

“Where is Kal by the way?”

“In the shower.”

“Oh. Okay - well since he’s not ready and you’ve been trapped inside long enough - what do you say we head into town for the grand tour and I’ll show you all the cheesiness Roswell has to offer?” Maria suggested.

Caught slightly off guard, knowing Kal would freak out if she went anywhere unprotected, Liz answered, “I don’t think that’s a great idea. Kal - umm - he’s been really protective - you know - since the shooting and he doesn’t want me wandering around.”

“Who’s wandering? There will be no wandering - I know exactly where we’re going. I grew up here - I wish it was big enough to “wander” in - but sadly its just one strip of tacky stores. And Alex’s cast is going to be off in just four more weeks. Then we’ll all be off to the wonderful world of LA , right? These days could be your only chance to see THE Roswell, New Mexico. You don’t want to waste that, do you?” Maria ranted.

“Still, I don’t want to worry Kal.”

“I understand. Let’s just go for a quick drive then. There’s an ice cream stop like three miles down the road. We’ll get you out for a minute - get you some fresh air - and be back before Kal’s out of the shower.” Maria offered.

Liz bit her bottom lip in indecision. She was going stir crazy stuck inside the motel all week. And they were just talking about a few miles. “Okay, I’ll leave Kal a note, just in case - and then we’ll go!”

She wouldn’t even get out of the car, she promised herself. They would be back in five minutes.

What could possibly happen?
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/15 Part 21 pg10

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - I'm so glad you like this! As I've said before, reading your fb just makes me want to write all day.
Alien614 - thanks and thanks for reading
Michelle in Yonkers - thank you - i happy your reading this - i love your fb! As for Tess - i always thought the writers wasted a lot of potential drama with her character - evil without purpose is very boring to me (i think JB said that in one of his interviews and i couldn't agree more) But i think without having to compete with liz, here, she's had a chance to develop her humaness - i mean really what she wants - what she's been trained to want is what most people want - love, a family, passion. Who knows what will happen when liz is more in the picture? And yes, Liz's choice not the smartest - but i don't think she really gets the situation yet. She's lived a carefree life - knowing danger is out there, is not yet concrete for her - but it will be. That fish story is so funny! And yes - no one's really commented on her rapid recovery - i'll just chalk it up to none of them really knowing any medical knowledge!
kay_b - famous last words indeed!
Wench on a Leash - thank you.
kitten88 - thank you
nitpick23 - yes - kal can be deep. and this was not Liz's brightest decision
cjsl8ne - thanks and here you go!
katydid - i don't think the idea that she is in mortal danger is real for her yet - but its about to be!
Natalie36 - indeed!
Timelord31 - thank you
polar vixen - depends on your perspective - eventually - it might end up very well for M/M - :D thanks

Chapter 22
Song - Rock of Ages by Def Leppard

Danger was the furthest thing from Liz’s mind as she and Maria flew down the open highway, windows open, belting out the words to the classic Def Leppard song, playing on the radio.

What do you want?
What do you want?
I want rock- n- roll.
Youbetcha
Long live rock-n-roll.

The sun was warm on her face, as she devoured the deliciously cold vanilla cone. As the wind whipped her hair back, she felt - young - more carefree then she could ever remember.

As they sang, Liz cast a sideway glance at Maria and wondered, not for the first time, if she had known the quirky blond in the other time line. Liz was raised in LA - she knew about karma, auras and the like. Was that why she felt so comfortable with Maria - why they had bonded so easily - because in her past life, they had been close friends?

Her thoughts were cut off quickly, as a black sedan speeding up behind them caused Maria to yell out, “Slow down jackass - I’m already doing eighty!” Liz looked in the rear view mirror, dread settling over her, as the trailing car came dangerously close. Liz saw two men, the passenger scratching his face vigorously and then peeling off a piece of flesh and tossing it out the window.

The two young women were jolted forward as the sedan smashed their rear bumper forcefully.

“Dammit!” Maria yelled angrily.

“Maria - don’t pull over!” Liz shouted, starting to panic.

“What do you mean? That jerk-off, just rear ended us!”

“Don’t!” Liz shouted as they were rammed again. “Just - get back to the motel - now!”

“Oh my God!” Maria screamed. She'd heard of this - criminals who’d rear end a car to get the driver to pull over in the desert, just to rob them…maybe worse.

“Stop!” Maria screamed louder as the black car came up on her left and swerved into her side - forcing her off the road, as the tire exploded.

Remembering what Max and Kal had told her about the skins’ weak spot Liz quickly asked, “Maria, do you have a bat or a golf club?” as their car rolled to a stop on the side of the road - the blown tire making the car wobble.

“There’s The Club - for the steering wheel - under the seat.” Maria answered, her voice filled with fear.

Liz reached under the seat and grabbed the anti-theft device.

“Come on!” She yelled to her friend as she opened her door and scrambled out, dragging Maria with her, as she saw the two skins exit their own car and come up behind them, one on each side.

“Well this is an unexpected surprise.” Liz heard one of them say as she turned to face them, the heavy club in her hand, while she pushed Maria protectively behind her back.

“Stay back!” Liz warned, as she raised the club, ready to swing.

The two men stopped and glared at her. “Yeah,” the other answered, “We just might do that.” And they began their approach again, one circling the car in front to come up behind Maria, the other walking straight at Liz.

“Nicolas said to bring that human back - alive. What about the other one?” The man in front asked his counterpart, pointing at Liz. The other shrugged, “Kill her. We don’t need the baggage.”

When the skin in front of her lunged, Liz swung, managing to hit him in the side. He paused for just a moment with an, “humph” upon impact, but recovered quickly and reached for her long hair.

Hearing Maria’s scream as the man behind them grabbed her, Liz stepped out of his reach, rapidly flanked the other skin who held Maria and struck him, with the end of the club on the back of his head.

Maria felt sand hit her in the face as the man’s grip disintegrated, and his remains blew away with the wind. Too shocked to speak, she refocused her attention on the second assailant, who growled, “Your gonna pay for that bitch.”

She watched as the man opened his palm towards them and Liz was thrown backwards several feel, by an invisible force.

Then, appearing from nowhere a black motorcycle raced up to them, the rider kicking the man in the hip, bringing him to his knees.

She ran to Liz, still on the ground, but conscious, as the rider jumped off his bike, letting it fly a few feet on its own, before it fell on its side and slid to a stop.

She didn’t see where the explosions came from, but the black sedan burst into flames with a loud blast. From his knees, the man who’d attacked them opened his palm again, and their helmeted savior sailed threw the air, landing just inches away from them.

Then, things went into slow motion for Maria Deluca as she watched the rider stand and rush the man, tackling him at his midsection, bringing him down under him. She helped Liz up as she watched the two roll over on the ground, fighting for dominance.

Thunderstruck, she saw the helmeted man gain the top position, and grab a rock with his right hand. With a sickening thud, she saw him bring the rock down on the other man’s head. And then the other man was gone - as if he had simply disappeared into the ground, that their hero was now sitting on.

The man stood, turned and walked towards them, taking off his helmet.

If Maria thought she could not have been more shocked after what she had seen, learning the identity of the man who helped them, practically caused her to faint on the spot. She blinked, thinking her eyes were playing tricks on her.

“Are you alright?” Maria heard him ask, but her shocked brain could not formulate an appropriate answer.

“Who are you?” She heard Liz ask.

“Michael.” And Maria swore she saw recognition on Liz’s face - like she knew who Michael was - no last name necessary.

Finally finding her voice, she questioned Liz, “Who…those men? How… and you knew? Where…are they?”

Her questions were broken from the shock, but Liz knew exactly what she was asking."Trust me, Maria, you’re better off not knowing - let’s just get back to the motel.”

“No, wait - better off not knowing what? Because - I’m freaking out here Liz. Either I’ve completely lost it or those two guys just like - poof - disappeared! And that just does not happen! Something really weird is going on and if you know what it is, then you need to tell me.”

Liz looked to Michael who almost imperceptibly shook his head no.

Liz looked Maria in the eyes, sadly, “It’s not my secret to tell.”

Losing her patience Maria said, “Well you better make it yours, because,” and there were tears in her voice now, “if I don’t find out what just happened, I think I’m going to lose it. And…I’ll go tell Kyle everything that happened here.”

Liz looked to Michael again, and once again he shook his head no.

Making her decision, Liz turned her back to Michael and his disapproving stare, she gripped Maria by the arms and looked into her eyes - this was Maria - the sister she’d never had and she trusted her.

Liz said, “Okay. Okay Maria, but you have to promise me, you are not going to freak out…”

“And then what’d she do?” Kal asked Liz, sitting on the couch across from her in the motel suite.

“She freaked the fuck out.” Michael answered unkindly.

“It wasn’t that bad.” Liz defended.

“Not that bad? Did you not see what I saw? She was practically snorting that cedar oil.”

“What the hell is cedar oil?” Kal asked

“It’s a natural oil - smelling it is supposed to have a calming effect, they use it in massages.” Liz covered her eyes while Kal nodded his head.

Kal looked out the window when he heard a car pull up. “His Majesty is here.” He announced.

“Max?” Liz stood, slightly panicked, “He wasn’t supposed to come until later.”

“Yeah well, he changed his mind when I called him.” Michael explained.

Liz looked at Michael with condemning eyes, “You called him?”

“Of course. And I told him about your little field trip too.” Michael said with a smile on his face.

Great, Liz thought, freakin’ tattle tail.

“I know we just met Michael, but you know what? I don’t think I like you.”

“Yeah, that just crushes me - can you tell?” Michael bit back.

“Children, children - please.” Kal interrupted just as Max walked in.

He looked alarmed - his eyes slightly wild. He looked Liz over - she looked…dusty … and tired - a line of dirt smeared across her cheek - but otherwise unharmed. Max looked to Michael, “What happened?”

“They got run off the road - two skins on highway 285 - the car’s still out there, burning.” Michael quickly explained.

“They?” Max knew he wasn’t talking about Langley.

“Oh yeah - that’s the best part - I didn’t mention it on the phone? Liz was with Maria Deluca!” Michael announced with faked excitement. “She saw the skins‘ get dusted. And then, Liz thought it would be great to tell Maria - pretty much everything - the cliff notes version, but still… everything.”

Michael still couldn’t believe it - his mind couldn’t accept that Maria Deluca knew what he was. Of all the people…he wanted to die…or kill someone. This was a disaster.

Liz squinted her eyes, expecting Max to explode over the news. But the explosion didn't come.

Max’s eyes turned darker, and dulled. His face was completely emotionless - shut down. Only his voice, hard as steel, hinted that he felt anything at all. He turned to Langley and hissed, “How could you let this happen?”

“It’s not his fault.” Liz interrupted.

“No - its your fucking fault. But he was supposed to watch you, and obviously he didn't do that very well." Max’s face began to get flushed with anger, his voice louder.

“I’m sorry.” Liz apologized, ‘I shouldn’t have left without Kal. I didn’t think…”

“No you weren't fucking thinking at all! You were told it was dangerous. You were told that there were evil aliens whose sole purpose for being here was to find you! And you thought a little afternoon drive would be okay? Are you that fucking stupid? If Nicolas had gotten his hands on you, your brain would be pulled barbeque by now, do you know that? And now Maria - Jesus Christ Liz! Which part of don‘t tell anyone, didn't you understand!” Max started to pace as he said, "I shouldn't have expected anything less from you."

Liz's features turned from regretful to insulted as she asked, "Just what is that supposed to mean?"

When Max just ignored her and continued to pace Liz tried, "There wasn’t anything else I could do. After what she’d seen, I tried warning her off, but she wouldn’t listen and then when she said she’d tell Kyle…”

“The sheriff? She said that?” Max pushed his hand through his hair and looked at Michael.

Michael nodded in answer to his question, as he watched Max with growing apprehension. Max was always in control, the calm one in charge - removed. Even when he was furious, - he could be nasty sometimes, but he never yelled.

Now however - now Max seemed to be slowly loosing it, right before his eyes.

“We’ll have Tess mind warp her.” Max said.

Michael nodded.

Kal leaned back in his chair and folded his arms in front of his chest - knowing exactly what would happen next.

“What?” Liz asked.

“Tess will mind warp her.” Max said slowly, as if speaking to a child.

“No - no she will not. No one is messing with Maria’s head.” Now Liz was standing in front of Max, her chin raised defiantly.

Max hovered over her, trying to intimidate her with the advantage of his height, “It’s the only way to fix this. That is final.”

“But Maria won’t say anything! If you do this…I’ll - I’ll just tell her again.” Liz said triumphantly.

“What?” Max bellowed.

“You can’t just go around taking people’s memories! It can’t be healthy!”

“I can do what ever the fuck I want - and no one - especially not some little girl from LA - who doesn't know what the fuck is going on - is going to tell me otherwise!” Max yelled in Liz’s face.

“Max.” Michael said, sorry now that he had baited his friend and made Liz out to look so bad. He had never seen Max react like this.

Kal was tempted to step in, he didn’t like Liz being spoken to like that. But, she wanted to go into this with her “eyes wide open” as she’d said, and he wanted her to see just who she was dealing with.

Liz, also realized the situation was getting out of hand - becoming unproductive. She took a breath and tried to take a step back as she said, “Maria won’t tell anyone, I swear. She won’t…”

“Bullshit!” Max cut her off again, “You’ve known Maria for all of two weeks - you can’t know that for sure.”

“If you would just let me explain, I really feel…” Liz tried.

“I don’t want to hear how you feel - I don’t give a damn. I trusted you not to say anything and you did and now we’re all fucked!”

Liz finally lost it, “Now what’s - bullshit? Don’t stand there and act like you confessed this big deep secret because you wanted to. You didn’t tell me because you trusted me, you told me because you had to. Unless you were planning on mind warping me too.”

When Max gave no answer, but just continued to stare at her, Liz’s jaw fell open in outrage. “You son of a bitch! You were going to mind warp me? And then you were going to trick me? Who the hell do you think you are?"

Max opend his mouth to answer, but Liz continued, "Kal was right - you are a heartless bastard! You can’t treat people like that - like a thing… to be used.”

She couldn’t believe how selfish Max Evans was. He really didn’t care about anything but himself - him and his own agenda. He didn't give a damn that his actions could harm anyone - everyone - around him. At least, that's how it seemed to Liz, at the moment.

And the idea that he had considered screwing with her memories - with her mind. That thought was as scary as it was infuriating. “You have got to be the most selfish, insensitive, arrogant ass I have ever met! And I‘m supposed to have faith in you? How is that going to happen - when you don‘t have any…”

“Are you done?” Max asked in a level tone. To the casual observer, he appeared almost bored during Liz’s rant.

He had heard this speech before - from his sister, his mother, even Tess when she really lost her temper.

But hearing it from Liz - hearing this girl, who had made him feel so much - hearing her list his faults, bothered him much more then he'd ever admit. And it made him want to lash out.

“No, one more thing - Fuck you!” Liz rarely spoke in such a way, but the tremendous stress of the last few days, the terror of this afternoon and her own awful guilt about telling Maria, had caught up with her - and she was spewing the words before she could stop herself.

“That’s nice - real nice. You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Max asked and then snapped his fingers, "Oh no, that’s right. She’s dead.” And his voice dripped with mocking sympathy.

Liz paled and Max knew his comment had hit its mark.

But, when he saw her face, he found no satisfaction in the victory - he just felt sick.

Kal wanted to punch Max Evans when he saw the look on Liz’s face.

But then, she beat him to it. The slap echoed throughout the suite and a deafening silence followed.

Until Liz said "Get out.” And her voice was empty, flat…final.

Turning away from the pain etched on her face, Max walked out the of the room, with Michael behind him.
Last edited by trulov on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/17 Part 22 pg11

Post by trulov »

I'm sorry I can't respond to each of you individually right now - I wanted to get this posted before I ran out.

But let me just say THANK YOU - you guys are great! All your feedback has me so pumped. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying this and hope this next part doesn't dissappiont. I will try and respond to your previous f/b when i get home later.

Also, this part is a little complicated (i think so anyway) so if there's any questions let me know and i'll do my best to clear it up!

Thanks again

Chapter 23

Outside, Max picked up a rock and hurled it acroos the parking lot, venting his frustration.

“Max,” Michael began soothingly, “What the hell was that?”

“Not now Michael.” Max warned. He’d screwed up, he knew it - he didn’t need to hear it from Michael.

“Look, you have to stay steady. You’re the King - you gotta keep it together, Maxwell.”

“I know. I don’t…I don’t know what’s happening to me. Ever since…ever since I met her…I feel like I can’t control anything when I’m around her - not what I think, what I say.” What I feel. Max breathed deep and exhaled harshly.

They were silent for a few minutes. Then Michael asked “So about Maria? What are you going to do?”

“Nothing.” Max shook his head, resigned.

“Wait - nothing? We can’t do nothing! You have to have Tess warp her.” Michael had to get this fixed - letting Maria Deluca remain in on their secret was not an option for him.

“You heard Liz - we have to compromise, Michael. We’ll watch Maria, make sure she stays quiet. There’s nothing else to do.”

“Liz? Liz isn’t in charge Max - you are! You need to step up and make this okay. You have a duty - to me and Isabel and Tess…”

Duty?” Max spit out and he turned his turbulent eyes on his friend, “You want to talk about duty - okay - let’s talk about it. Tell me - have you fucked my sister yet?”

“Don’t…”Michael started to argue, but Max cut him off.

“Cause I seem to remember that being part of our duty - our destiny. I’ve done my job for over ten years Michael - I’ve done everything I’m supposed to. So when you want to lecture me about my responsibilities to you and my sister and Tess, make sure you do it after you and Isabel are no longer virgins. Then we can talk.” Max finished heatedly.

“You’re an asshole.” Max knew how he felt about Isabel - knew that that kind of relationship was just not possible for them - yet here he was throwing it in his face.

“Yeah - that seems to be the general consensus today.” Max said wearily. He was tired - he hadn’t slept right in days. He was furious with himself for losing control - for screaming at Liz - for pushing her away. It was the last thing they needed - the last thing he had wanted to do.

Max opened his mouth to reason with Michael - to explain his harsh words. To tell him of the gripping pressure he felt - that he didn’t think he could stand much longer.

But seeing Kal Langley walk out of the motel room stopped him.

As Kal walked up to them, Max asked, “Where are you going?”

“Me? I’m going to talk to Ms. Deluca. I believe what Liz said - if she thinks we can trust her - we can. I’m just going to make sure she understands the seriousness of this situation, for her as well as us. As for you…” He turned his cold stare on Max, still pissed off at how he had treated Liz.

“I'll talk to her.” Max finished for him.

“You’re going to apologize.” Kal corrected, “She was wrong to leave - it was reckless - no one is arguing that point. But, you speak to her like that again, and I'll rip your fucking limbs off.”

Max started to tell Langley that he did not appreciate the way he was being spoken to at the moment, but stopped himself. Knowing a confrontation with the shape shifter would accomplish absolutely nothing. Instead he said, "I didn't mean for it to happen...it was a mistake."

“It happend because you’re an idiot - guess some things never change.” Kal commented cheerily. He didn’t respect the man, the King, before him - he never had, on any planet - in any life time. Max’s earlier behavior had done nothing to change Kal’s opinion of him, so he added, “It was a mistake you will never let happen again - not if you want to keep your arms attached to your body. Are we clear?”

Max just nodded his head, his eyes cold and hard.

“Good. As for you, General, I suggest you patrol the perimeter. The King has some ass kissing to do.” And with that, Kal walked to his rented car and drove away. Michael turned wordlessly from Max, to do as Langley suggested, leaving Max alone.

He sat on the bumper of his car and looked up. The sun was going down and the dusk sky was painted a prism of pink, purple and blue. With the shades to the suite open, Max could see Liz in the living room, walking back and forth, wiping at the tears on her face - tears he had caused. He felt like he'd just been punched in the gut, and regret burned in his throat. He rubbed at his eyes wearily.

He’d yelled at her, said terrible things to her. What should he do now? How was he supposed to make things right? Langley said he should apologize. At that thought, the lessons Nasedo had drilled into his head, when he was just slightly more then a boy, came to him.

You are a King - a ruler, you are responsible for your people not to your people. King’s do not apologize because they do not make mistakes. They simply change their outlook, their strategy. Never lower yourself to apologize to someone, because everyone is beneath you. Until they bear the burden of ruling as you do, you owe them nothing.

Everything had always been about ruling - strategizing - controlling. He shook his head, trying to clear it.

Then he saw an image from the dream he’d had last night,

He was on the school bus, with Isabel - that first day. Everything was exactly how it had been, except when he stepped down, she had been there. When his eyes connected with Liz Parker’s gentle brown orbs, he’d felt - less empy - not so alone. He'd thought, maybe he did belong here - maybe this was were he was supposed to be - maybe this could be home.

Max closed his eyes, and put his hands on the sides of his head and squeezed - trying to slow the rush of feelings and images.

He gazed at the motel window and watched Liz walk out of the living room, her back to the window. The action caused another sequence from his dreams to hit him like a freight train.

They were in the desert, and Liz was running from him, after giving him the most heartbroken of looks. He’d wanted to go after her, as he’d never wanted anything in his life - she was everything to him. But something was holding him back. Instead of fighting, he’d just stood there and let her go. And it was a mistake, every part of his body was screaming that it was wrong.

And that was just how he felt now. He looked to the motel window again. Was she packing? Was she calling for a flight? Was she going to leave?

He couldn’t let her go. He knew - just as he had dreamed - that letting Liz Parker go from his life - to not be around her - would be a huge mistake. And he realized with shock, that it was not just because of the scion. It was because of her.

The flashes of himself, the flashes of her life, the dreams, the feelings - all of it pressed down on Max - swirling together in his mind, in his soul, like a cyclone pushing him to act - to do something - before it really was too late.

Resolved, he walked through the door to the suite.

Liz turned, standing in the kitchen, when he walked in - tears still streaking her face.

“Max,” She said - startled.

“Don’t.” He put up his hand to stop her. “Don’t say anything. If I don’t get this out now…” He began.

“I’m…” Liz started to cut him off.

“Don’t!” He insisted, “I have to say this - and if you say something, then what I say won’t apply and…” Max took a breath and said, “I’m horrible at this. I don’t have friends. I’ve never wanted them. I am the leader - Michael just said it - I’m the one that tells other people what to do - I’m responsible for them. I tell them what they’re doing right - what they’re doing wrong. Even if I upset Michael, or make Isabel mad, or make Tess cry - I’ve never - ever - felt bad about it. But you make me feel bad.”

“I don’t understand.” Liz replied. What was he trying to say?

“Since I was six years old, I knew this wasn’t where I belonged. I knew the day would come when I would have to leave this planet and walk away from everyone on it. And I was fine with that - always. But since I met you - no - since I touched you… you make it hard to walk away, Liz.”

He looked into her eyes, and knew she was trying to comprehend what he meant.

“I think your brave and strong and kind and...Watching you think - looking at you - is fascinating. I’ve never met anyone like you. And that day I touched you I felt…so much. And its all still there. But I’m not him - and you - your not her. And everything is different now - but I can still feel what he felt - all the time.”

He knew he was confusing her - he was confused himself.

He tried again - to sort - to express the thoughts that had been torturing him since that first night in the emergency room. “I feel like I’m splitting in two - like there’s this part of me that wants to keep everything the way its always been. And another part that’s trying to - to be how I was - then - before he changed things.”

Max took several step towards her, so he was right in front of her, staring at her luminous eyes and whispered, “I want to know you.”

Max swallowed hard and added, “And that scares the shit out of me.”

“Why?”

“Because I’ve never felt it before.”

He fell silent - having said so much - poured out what had been churning within him for days, and waited for her response.

Liz held his gaze - filled with confusion and determination and regret. She took a deep breath, and tried to be logical, tried to separate all he had told her. “What do you mean you feel it all the time?”

Max looked past her, towards the wall, his voice sounding far away, “Since the first night, when I got the flash of him talking to you, when you were a baby, I’ve had these urges to do things I’ve never had - I've never done before. And dreams. These intense dreams, and I don’t know if they’re coming from me, or from his life. And then, when I healed you, when I saw things from your life - when that boy hit you…”

“You saw that?” Liz asked, horrified.

“Yes. And I wanted to kill someone afterwards. And…I… its just so much, and I try to ignore it - to block it out. But I can’t…and I feel like I‘m going crazy.”

She smiled softly at him, “You’re not going crazy Max. People feel things. You’re not a robot - you can’t block everything - it will all come out somehow - eventually.”

“And then I yelled at you today - I completely lost it.” he said sorrowfully, “And now, you’re going to leave, and I don't know how to stop...”

“Wait, wait - I’m not leaving, Max.” She quickly reassured him.

“You’re not?”

“No, why would you think that?”

“In the dream - you left." He said, sounding so lost. "I broke your heart and you ran away. I thought after what I said…”

She shrugged, “People fight Max. Friends say awful things to each other sometimes. But you get past it. It's part of…life.” Liz explained, and then went on, needing to say some things of her own, “I’m sorry Max. I’m sorry I left this afternoon -it was stupid and idiotic. And I’m sorry Maria found out…I’m so sorry.”

After she’d kicked him out, Liz took a moment to think about the position Max was in. She understood why Max had been so determined to cover it up - so angry. She couldn’t imagine how terrifying it must be to know someone you barely knew - someone you’d hardly spoken to, knew your darkest secret. And thus had the ability to bring faceless men to your door in the dead of night - men who would take you and your family away - forever.

“It’s alright.” Max reassured softly.

“Please believe me - your secret is safe with her. I can't explain how I know it - but I do. I swear.”

“It’s okay. We’ll figure it out - I shouldn’t have yelled at you Liz. I realize how hard this is… I shouldn’t have lost my temper.”

“I never meant for her to know.” Liz explained, desperate for him to understand.

“I know. I know you didn’t” He knew she would never knowingly put any of them in danger - he felt it in his bones.

They were silent a moment and then Max asked awkwardly, “So…what do we do now?”

“We start over.” Liz answered with a soft smile, “Wipe the slate clean. Do you think we can do that?” She asked hopefully - knowing today they had both had errors in judgement.

“Yes. I’d like that.” Max replied sincerely.

But, before they could, there was one more thing Max needed to do. “Liz, about what I said, about your…mothe. It was cruel and I’m…”

Sorry.

“I shouldn’t have said it - it was wrong.” Max finished.

“Forget it.” Liz said quickly. “ I don’t know why I got so upset. I don’t even remember her anyway.”

An idea came to Max then, and he asked, “Do you want to?”

“Do I want to what?”

“Remember her?”

Liz’s brow crinkled in confusions, “I don’t…How?”

Max took two steps, and closed the distance between them. He swallowed and said, “I have to touch you.”

Liz gave her permission with a slight nod, her eyes drawn to his.

He cupped her face in his hands, feeling the silk of her hair against his palms. As he cleared his mind and looked at her open brown eyes - eyes that showed so much - and he saw the memories in her mind.

He bypassed the more recent recollection, and went back further, to her earliest memories, ones she couldn’t bring forth herself. When he found the one he wanted, he opend himself, unblocking his mind, so she could see it as he did.

A red haired woman, washing an infant in the sink, laughing as she splashed

“Jeff,” the woman called, “Come see - she loves the water.”

Then, a tall dark haired man was there, smiling proudly at the baby.

“Yes, Lizzie, that’s right. You love your bath, don’t you honey?” The woman’s voice was warm and kind.

“Hey baby girl. Are you going to be a swimmer? Huh, sweety?”

The baby splashing again, laughing, as her adoring parents looked at her with love.

When Liz came out of the memory, she saw Max before her, and felt tears again on her face - but they were different tears - joyous ones.

She’d seen her mother and her father, she’d actually heard them, their gentle voices still in her ears.

She smiled at Max, a smile filled with awe and gratitude. He gave her a crooked smile back and wiped away a loose tear with his thumb.

“Thank you.” She choked out, her throat tight with emotion.

Inside, Max felt - peace - glad that he could do this for her. That he could take her pain away - again. But this time it had been the ache in her heart.

As Max continued to hold her lovely face, he felt the emotions, so foreign just a few days ago, well up inside him. He gazed at her, thinking how beautiful she looked, what an amazing woman she was - courageous, loyal, compassionate.

He didn’t fight what he felt, he didn’t run away. He let the emotions, wash over him, through him, as he did in his dreams.

Admiration for Liz, the thrill of touching her, the longing to be with her - to know her, desire for her, concern for her safety - it was all there, inside him.

And for the first time, he thought these new found feelings were not entirely unpleasant. He didn’t panic or question why they were there, when they had never been before. He simply let go and accepted them, as part of himself - part of who he was.

And in that moment, Max Evans started to become a new man.

The man he was always meant to be.
Last edited by trulov on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/19 Part 23 pg13

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - here's the next part - an itsy bit of backstory.

Thanks to everyone for reading and for your f/b!
nitpick23 - thanks for your fb - we'll see more of maria and michael in the coming parts - also the next part - after this one - will illustrate some unexpected results of max now being in touch with his human side.
kaydid - thank you - and yes, Tess and Nasedo will defianately effect future outcomes in the lives of all our characters.
twilighteyes - thank you - so glad you like it - i'll try to have the next part up in about two days!
Alien-Friend - thank you - and Maria knowing the secret will bring some interesting developments for everyone.
timelord31 - thank you. The next part after this one will highlight max's changes more - but it may not be entirely what all of us dreamers are expecting!
Wench on a Leash - As always - thank you. And yes, i see liz as much stronger here - older and defiantely wiser.
Natalie36 - thanks!
kay-b - thank you. Max's true destiny remains to be seen. Perhaps his human destiny is with liz - but his alien destiny may include something else entirely.

Chapter 24

When Kal returned an hour later, he found Max sitting on the couch, with Liz curled up at the other end, fast asleep.

They had talked a little - about what she had seen, about how his powers worked. But it had been such an eventful day, Liz soon drifted off, drained and exhausted.

Max knew they should talk more, get to know each other more, but she had looked so peaceful he couldn’t bring himself to wake her. He knew she had earned this rest.

“Everything okay here?” Kal asked him, looking at Liz.

“Yeah - yeah, we’re good.” Max told him as he stood.

“Don’t hurt her again.” Kal warned, looking the young man in the eyes.

“I won’t.” Max vowed. Then he said, “You should take her out tomorrow, Langley. Bring her into town.” When Max saw the discomfort the suggestion brought to the other man’s face he added, “You can’t expect her to stay in here all day, until…until this is over.”

Kal was surprised by the suggestion - surprised that Max was concerned for Liz’s well being at all. But he saw the rightness of his words, and promised himself he would overcome his own fears of discovery, and get Liz out of the motel.

“I’m going to…” Max gestered over his shoulder with his thumb. “I have to go...talk with everyone else - you know - explain. How’d it go with Maria?”

“Fine, fine.” Kal answered, “She won’t talk. And if she ever does, I think we could frame her for drugs. She kept sniffing all these bottles while I was there, and putting stuff under her tongue.”

Max chuckled, not sure if Langley was kidding or not.

Michael had already left. As Max walked to his car he thought about the conversations that lay ahead for him. He already knew Michael was upset about Maria - and he had the feeling Isabel would not be as accepting of her, as she had been when Liz had been told.

It was going to be a long night.

“This is crazy!” Isabel yelled, as she paced back and forth, her arms folded in front of her. They were all there - in Max and Tess’ house, Tess having just got off work, for a late night meeting.

“Would you tell him this is insane!” She implored to Michael.

“I already have - he won’t listen to me.” Michael said stiffly, still smarting from his and Max’s exchange at the motel.

“Max,” Tess began, “We don’t even know Maria Deluca. We can’t possibly allow her to have this information. Who knows what she’ll do - who‘ll she‘ll tell?”

The question was precisely what Isabel feared - why she was so upest. Because she knew exactly who Maria Deluca would tell - if she was going to tell anyone.

Alex Whitman.

In high school, Isabel had been secretly infatuated with the kind boy. She’d only ever spoken to him, really, in his dreams. And unlike the nauseating sex-filled fantasies of the other boys at school, Alex had dreamed of candle lit dinners and romantic walks on the beach - with her.

She had lost touch with him as the years moved on. But since he had been back in town, they had become friends - during the day - in the real world - friends. She enjoyed talking to him - she loved his laugh and their easy banter.

And she would not have that taken away, on the chance that his best friend exposed what she really was. It was utterly unacceptable to her.

“Langley talked to her. He and Liz both feel strongly that she is no threat.” Max tried to reason with them. He understood their agitation, of course he did. But his hands were tied.

“And you’re taking their feelings over our concerns?” Isabel asked with shock and hurt echoing in every word.

“It’s not about taking sides, Isabel. Langley said she was safe and Liz refuses to let us mind warp her - this is a very delicate situation - what the hell do you expect me to do?” Max asked, frustrated.

“There is always Plan B.” Nasedo suggested calmly from the corner.

“Plan B?” Max asked.

“Taking Langely out of the picture. With him gone, the Parker girl’s objections are a moot point. Tess will mind warp the Deluca girl - problems solved.” The shape shifter explained.

Kill Kal Langley? Max couldn’t believe he had ever considered the idea. He was Liz’s whole world - her only family - if anything happened to him, she would be utterly devastated. And the protector was gradually earning his respect.

“No one’s killing anyone.” Max stated firmly, “That’s an order.”

“As you wish.” The protector responded, bowing his head slightly, letting the issue go - for now.

“Then what are we going to do Max?” Isabel asked.

“We do what we’ve always done. Keep our heads down, don’t raise any suspicions. We’ll watch Maria - from a distance - just to ensure she’s as trustworthy as Langley and Liz believe. Meanwhile, I work with Liz on the scion and when we get the information, hopefully, we go home. Case closed.”

“Well that’s not good enough.” Isable challenged her brother.

“Its going to have to be.” Max said harshly, his eyes forbidding his sister from arguing further. “ You need to leave this alone Isabel. I’m not discussing this any more. I’ve had a long day - I’m going to bed.” And with that Max left the room.

Isabel stormed out the front door, slamming it behind her. Michael followed Isabel, knowing this wasn’t over for her - sure that she would most certainly not be leaving this alone.

Tess wordlessly followed Max into their bedroom - leaving Nasedo alone to ponder the developments of the last day.

The next afternoon, Liz found herself in the heart of Roswell, with Kal. They’d wandered around Main Street, taking in the souvenir shops that overflowed with little green men paraphernalia. She’d laughingly bought herself a pair of spaceship dangel earrings, and for Kal, a dark blue neck tie - dotted with black eyed, big headed aliens. She insisted he wear it to his next staff meeting.

He was not amused by her humor.

As they continued to walk down the sunny street, a warm breeze blowing, Liz was once again assailed with the feeling of youth - a lightheartedness that she couldn’t remember ever feeling before.

She paused and looked at her surroundings realizing, if not for one man’s actions - this would have been where she grew up. Would she have walked down this very street with her parents as a young girl? With Max as a teenager?

She had no regrets of her life with Kal, but the knowledge of how different things would have been, flooded her mind with curiosity - speculation.

Liz hadn’t realized she’d stopped in front of Roswell’s main attraction - the UFO museum. When she saw the sign, she smiled and took Kal’s hand and said, “Let’s go in.”

“Let's not.” Kal replied grumpily.

“Come on - how bad could it be?” She asked innocently.

Kal looked at the garish green glowing sign and said, “I’d say pretty damn bad.”

“Oh, stop being a stick in the mud!” And Liz pulled him through the entrance.

Kal rolled his eyes, but he was thrilled that Liz was enjoying herself - she deserved at least one day free from worries and the roller coaster of drama that had surrounded them since their arrival.

To keep her happy, he let her pull him along - at least the museum seemed to be air conditioned - which for Kal, made putting up with the tasteless subject matter completely worth it.

As they strolled through the darkened rooms, they smirked at one another - at the silliness of the exhibits. The brightly lit testaments of those who had been abducted. Stories of probes and experiments and one tale of an erotic sexual experience, with a female alien’s twelve orifices.

“Charming.” Kal commented as he patted the large head on a child sized alien statue, wearing a cowboy hat and chaps.

Liz giggled behind Kal, and then bumped into him as he stopped suddenly, just past the doorway in the next room they had entered.

The alien autopsy room.

Liz walked up beside him, saw his features pale, his eyes grow hard, his mouth set into a grim line. “Kal?” Liz asked, concerned, “Kalvin?”

But Kal didn’t hear her. All he could hear were blood curdling screams.

He stared at the manaquens before him - three men in white with surgical masks - a large translucent alien strapped to a table, eyes black, its midsection open and exposed - displaying a variety of strange looking, neon colored, internal organs.

And he once again heard shrieks of agony in his mind. That was how shape shifters communicated - telepathically - when they were in their true form - a form Kal had not taken in almost half a century. Memories of a white room, and masked men shouting orders, and the torture those men inflicted one of his kind, flashed before him.

There had been four of them on the ship. Musim had been killed on impact. Sharee, himself, and Narun or Nasedo as he now called himself had been taken. The men in white had ultimately killed Sharee, with their examination.

Although, he had not been touched - had been lucky enough to escape before their attention turned to him - because of their telepathic abilities, he had known what they were doing to Sharee - had felt every second of it.

After he’d escaped, he’d been consumed with hatred for the human race - malice and distrust at what they were capable of. He was forced to get rid of the pods, and abandon his obligations to avoid detection. He was determined to look, act, and appear as human as possible, vowing never to be captured again.

But still the hatred and indifference for any human life had remained - deep inside him - for decades - until Liz.

She had changed everything for him - within him.

But standing here, looking at the scene before him - all the feelings - all the memories came flooding back - and he was stunned - too overwhelmed to move.

He’d never told Liz about Area 51. He never would.

After calling his name four times with no response, Liz was starting to panic - she had to do something. She took him firmly by the hand and arm - half hugging him and whispered, “Come on Kal. We’re leaving. We’re going - I’m here,” as she led him to the exit.

Hit with the severly heated wind and bright sunlight, Kal was slapped out of his reverie. He blinked and looked around - wondering how’d they’d gotten outside.

“Are you alright? You scared me - so much. What happend?” Liz asked, though Kal looked more like himself, now that they were outside.

He cupped her cheek, “Sorry - I just blanked out for a minute. Maybe all this sun is making me senile?”

“Are you sure you're okay? Do you want to talk about it?” Liz asked, still not convinced that he was telling her everything.

“I’m good as gold, kiddo.” And he gave her a big smile, “I could go for lunch, though - what do you feel like?”

Kal took Liz’s arm and guided her down the street - away from the museum. What Kal had learned in the last twenty five years - through Liz - was that humans, not unlike his own species could be good or bad. Some were capable of extreme heroism - kindness. Others could inflict unimaginable pain or commit great evils. You could not judge them all by the actions of a few.

And he was determined not let those days and the actions of a small group of human fiends haunt him. He had a good life - even with its recent challenges - he had Liz, he had his work.

Kal Langley let the door to the museum slam shut, and left the horrors of his past inside, behind him.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/23 Part 24 pg14

Post by trulov »

I had some time today, so I thought I'd post the new part a little early - who knows what tomorrow will bring! :D

Thank you all for your great comments

Twilighteyes - this next part will give some insight into Tess's feelings on what's going on and some changes in max. Remember - its always been just the four of them - and Max has been Mr. Alien oriented, so she really has no reason to doubt his commitment to her, or feel jealous. But then again, jealousy is a very human emotion - and really can't be controlled! Also - the part after this one will focus solely on Isabel, Michael and Maria. I myself, find it quite entertaining! Thanks.
Wench on a Leash - Thank you for everything. Kal and Liz are sooo much fun to write - i like that he's this big grumpy powerful guy - but for her - he's a big teddy bear! I don't trust Nasedo either.
Natalie36 - Thank you so much - yeah - everyone's freaking out just a bit - but change will do that to you.
Alien_Friend - Thank you. I don't trust Nasedo either. The part after this one will focus solely on Michael, Isable and Maria - its funny!
nitpick23 - Thanks so much for your comments. Glad to see max is starting to improve - he'll get there. This next part deals a bit with Tess's feelings and Max's change. As far as trusting Michael and Isabel to watch maria - he does - to a point. He did say in the last part that he wanted her watched "from a distance" though. Plus M and I are so obviously against the idea of Maria knowing, he has to be careful what orders he gives them. And he really is focused on Liz - or at least he wants to be - if these unexpected developments hadn't happend. major max and Liz time will come in the part after the next (2 parts from now!) As for Nasedo - i wouldn't say he has his own agenda. He's been quite clear his agenda is getting home - which has up till this point, coincided with Max's. How they go about doing that is where they now differ. Also - biological directives can be gotten around. Nasedo himself has to obey Max - but his "friends" don't. Thanks again!

Chapter 25

Max and Tess strolled down the other end of Main Street. To the casual observer, they looked like any other normal young couple enjoying a lovely afternoon. But their purpose for being there was anything but normal.

They were patrolling for skins. It was an activity they all routinely performed. Scouting out the small town - looking for the tell tale signs - the scratching, the rubbing of irritated or peeling skin. If they spotted an undercover enemy, they would discreetly follow them, and hopefully discover and then destroy the nest. It was the only strategy they had to attempt to keep their adversary’s numbers low, and to try and prevent yet another ambush.

As Max scanned the sidewalk across from them, his eyes fell on the now familiar form of Liz Parker and Kal Langley, talking to…Sheriff Valenti. Max stopped himself from walking over, wary of any member of law enforcement - but Kyle Valenti inparticular - who had always given Max the distinct impression that he was disliked immensely.

Tess observed where Max’s attention was, and recognized the dark haired girl and the man beside her speaking to Kyle. Tess’ head tilted to the side as she watched the three talking politely. Although she was curious about Liz, her eyes were continually drawn to the Sheriff. She could see the blue of his eyes from across the street - the same color of the sky - on this cloudless fall day. When Kyle tipped his hat, Tess smiled softly, as he reminded her of one of those cowboys she’d seen in an old western on late night television. The men who stood for honor and justice. She thought those characteristics described Kyle quite well.

When Max was sure Kyle was far enough away, he wasted no time in crossing the street to Liz. He smiled brightly when her eyes caught sight of him, as a gust of wind blew back her long hair casting a shimmer around her in the sunlight - like a halo.

“So, you took my advice and got her out, huh?” Max asked Kal, while his eyes never left Liz.

Before he could respond Liz said, “So I have you to thank for this unexpected outing? Very much appreciated.”

“The fresh air suits you - you're looking particularly well this afternoon.” Max had wanted to say pretty, but stopped himself - suddenly remembering that Tess was standing beside him.

“Well I’m very lucky - I have an excellent doctor taking special care of me.” Liz said - his compliment making her warm inside - the smile still on his face making her toes curl in their shoes.

And then she saw the small blond standing next to him, and for some reason the breath left her body. The girl’s long wavy hair reached almost to her waist. Her skin reminded Liz of one of the porcelin doll’s that filled her room when she was ten - fair and flawless. And her eyes were a bright blue - like the oceans of south pacific islands. Liz thought she was lovely.

“Um…Hi” Liz stammered.

“I’m Tess.” The girl said confidently with a smile and held out her hand. When Liz shook it, Tess said, “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

Inside, Tess was not as confident as she appeared. But she was determined not to let Max see her insecurity- brought on by the other girl’s attractiveness.

In coloring, Liz was the exact opposite of her - while Tess thought her skin pasty pale, Liz’s glowed a healthy bronze - as if she had just come back from a beach bound vacation. Her eyes were endless and deep - exotic, Tess thought. And her dark thick hair gave her the look of a gypsy - mysterious.

Although, Tess knew she was more shapely then the petite girl in front of her - her large breasts had always made her feel slightly self-conscous - Max never being overly interested by that endowment.

Tess found herself wondering what he thought of Liz’s athletic, but still feminine shape, as she noted the cheerful smile that hadn’t left his face since he’d spotted her.

While Tess and Liz sized one another up, Kal Langley was also observing the countenance of his former Queen. Although he’d seen her at the meeting, he’d been too consumed with worry to really look at her. Now that he was, he saw that she looked very much the same as she had on Antar.

He wondered if her angelic features still masked a vapid and venomous soul. He recalled the time, when Queen Ava Teresa had been out walking in the capital city. She had benevolently bent down to greet two poor children and gifted them with candy. Only to turn moments later, and secretly order her personal guard to have their mother whipped because, as she had put it, her filthy little mongrels had gotten mud on her new dress.

Although the young Queen’s eyes seemed more - humane - to Kal now, to say he did not trust this earthly incarnation of her would be an understatement of monumental proportions.

“Yes, its nice to meet you too.” Liz said politely. Then, not knowing what else to say to the other woman, she turned her attention back to Max and said, “Maria called me earlier.”

“Is everything alright?” Max asked, and the smile started to fade.

“Yeah - yeah everything’s fine,” Liz answered quickly, then added, “She told me about Michael and your sister stopping by her house this morning.”

Max closed his eyes and braced himself, “What did they do?”

“Nothing - she’s fine - really.” Liz rushed out, realizing he hadn’t known about the visit, “She just said, they talked and...well, Maria used the word jackass a lot.”

Max snorted at this - automatically assuming Maria had been referring to Michael.

“But she’s okay - you know - with everything.” Max nodded. He’d have to talk Michael and Isabel - he’d told them to keep there distance. He realized this situation was new for all of them - but he would not allow their disobedience to become a habit.

“Tell her - they won’t bother her again.” He said sternly.

“Sure.” Liz replied, sorry she had mentioned it - as Max seemed edgy now.

She looked at Tess and then back to Max’s face and asked unsurely, “So, tonight? Will you be coming over?”

“Yes - absolutely.” And a small grin was back - as if he was looking forward to it.

“Great. Should I plan for dinner, around seven?” This was so bizarre - here she was making a dinner date with a man who was standing right next to his fiance!

Wait - a date? No, no - that wasn’t right. A meeting - yes - Liz told herself - this was a dinner meeting. This was work - a project - nothing more. She continued to convince herself, despite the desire to caressingly push back the hair, that had blown over Max’s eye in the breeze. A move she would never make with a coworker.

“Perfect.” Max smiled, “So - I’ll see you soon?” He felt the pull to stay - to stand there and just watch her. Like when his eyes had first met hers - he’d felt as if they had been the only two people on the street.

But, they weren’t - and he had things to do - like finish his and Tess’ patrol. He forced his feet to back away.

“Bye.” Liz waved a bit awkwardly to Tess who waved back, “Bye Max.”

“Bye Liz.” Max said as he walked backwards and finally made himself turn around, away from her.

He wasn’t aware of the way he’d said her name - softly, with reverence, as if she was a unique treasure.

Max hadn’t noticed, but with a stabbing jolt, Tess had.

A few hours later, Tess and Max were back at their house. Tess was in the kitchen, starting dinner, for herself, while Max had gone to shower.

Coming downstairs, his hair still damp, his light blue button down shirt opened - displaying his impressive torso - Max observed Tess move about the kitchen.

When he had woken up that morning, he had felt different - better - then he had in days. He assumed his confession to Liz, about all he had been feeling and experiencing in the last weeks had been cathartic for him. He’d felt energized, invigorated, hopeful - more so then he could ever remember in his life.

And while he and Tess had eaten breakfast together, he realized he was seeing things a bit differently as well. Liz was loyal - dedicated - he’d sensed that about her right away. But as Tess passed him the tobasco sauce for his pancakes, the inane action caused him to realize how extremely loyal Tess was as well.

For years - over a decade - she had stood by him and supported him - never really questioning any of his decisions. She had reached out to him, time and again, when she’d thought he could use her despite his constant rebukes. She had continually shown her faith, her trust, in him and his leadership.

And all along, he had never really noticed. It had simply been - expected.

As he watched her now, it came to him, that perhaps it should not have been expected - taken for granted. Isabel and Michael freely challenged him, Nasedo often doubted him, and frequently tried to steer him towards whatever plan the protector himself thought was the best course at the time.

But Tess - she had just quietly been there - available - should he ever decide she was needed.

Then, feeling something akin to shame, Max thought about the numerous times he hadn’t been very nice to her. Times he could have been kinder, more generous, more caring towards her feelings. He could recall a dozen instances when his actions or lack there of had reduced her to tears, and he’d never once made a move to quell them.

And yet she was still here.

Tess looked up from the stove - noticing Max for the first time. “So, you’re going then? To have dinner…with Liz.” Tess heard the jealousy in her voice. Thankfully, Max didn’t.

“Yeah. I don’t know when I’ll be home. I just need to see how things go.”

Tess just nodded.

“What are you going to do - while I’m gone?” Max asked.

Tess’s brow furrowed slightly in mild confusion - he'd never cared what she'd done with her time before. “I’ll just, hang out here - maybe watch a movie.”

“Go to…” Max started and then corrected himself, “If you want to…maybe you could over go to Isabel’s? Find out exactly what went on at Maria Deluca’s? You know, make sure her and Michael didn’t do any permenant damage.”

“Sure. I can do that.”

“Good.” Max paused as he walked up to her, buttoning his shirt. “Thanks…for…going to Isabels and for…you know…everything.”

Tess’ eyes met Max’s and he looked so…unsure.

She’d never in her life seen Max Evans have anything less then complete confidence in himself and his actions. The look on his face made him seem, younger - vulnerable.

All day, she had sensed something - changed - about Max. The more considerate tone of his voice when he spoke. How he would look at her thoughfully when he thought she wasn’t looking. All things, that in all their years together, he‘d never done.

She felt a lightness in her chest at the thought of what it all might mean. Could she allow herself to hope that his feelings for her could be growing? She was afraid to even think it. For so long his actions had incinerated her wishes for the great - the earth shattering love - she had once expected their relationship to be. Was it possible, that that dream wasn’t dead after all?

“Sure Max. Its…nothing. I’m glad to do it.” She said happily.

Max nodded his head and walked into the living room to go.

Tess shook her head at her own jump in conclusions. How desperate and pathetic could she be? Max was nice to her, and right away she starts up with all these silly romantic notions. She mentally smacked herself.

And then he came back in the room.

“Tess?”

She whirled around - surprised when he said her name - how he said her name - hesitantly.

“Yes?”

“Are you okay with all of this? I mean, do you feel alright about me and Liz, you know, spending time together?” Max had meant to just walk out the door. But as he put his shoes on, he couldn’t help but come back and ask her.

It didn’t matter, he realized, if she wasn’t okay with it - even if she told him she absolutely hated it - he would go forward with Liz anyway.

But, after all the years and all the shit that Tess had put up with from him, he thought he should at least do her the courtesy of asking how she felt about it. She was his fiance afterall.

Tess just looked at him - like she had never seen him before. He raised his eyebrows, waiting for her answer.

Finally, she snapped out of her shock and said, “Of course Max. I mean, we all have to make sacrifices to…to find our way home. And it does seem like the information Liz has might help us, might lead us somewhere. So - yes - I’m fine - with everything.”

Although Max did not feel that spending time with Liz Parker could in any way be described as a “sacrafice” he saw no reason to correct her. He was just pleased that he had asked the question. The asking itself had seemed to delight her - and he was glad for it. God knew he’d made her sad enough times.

“Okay - good.” Max nodded his head.

Departures were always awkward for them. For so long - particularly in the beginning, Tess had expected good-bye kisses filled with passionate longing, at being separated. Max, on the other had never seen the purpose for a drawn out lust filled exchange.

But tonight - like the rest of the day - was different for Max Evans. He looked at Tess - and knew she was waiting for something. And he wanted to please her, now that he finally understood all she had done and had tried to do for him.

Unfortunately, despite the many years they had been together, he had no real burning desire to kiss Tess.

So instead, he put his hand on her shoulder and gave it a tender, affectionate squeeze.

He whispered, “I’ll see you later Tess.” And walked out the front door.

Stunned beyond words at his behavior, Tess touched her shoulder where his hand had been.

They had been lovers for eleven years, but this touch - this simple action - had meant more to her any before it.

She looked at the door he had just exited through and not unhappily wondered, - Who was that and where was the real Max Evans?
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/24 Part 25 pg15

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone -
Timelord31 - thank you
Michell in Yonkers - Yes, we're thinking along the same lines. I always thought Tess' well, bitchiness, came from the feeling that she had to compete with Liz. I think Tess focused on the alien part of her and the four of them, b/c that was her only in with Max - the only think she had over Liz. Here, however, at least not yet, there is no jealousy - no competion. The only people she can blame for Max's lack of reaction to her is Max or herself. But, she's been counting on a relationship with Max for a looong time. Even if its not everything she's dreamed of, she's kind of put all her eggs in one basket, as my grandma used to say. Not sure how she'll react if her place in his life - if the future she percieves for them - is threatened.
Alien-Friend - thank you - the changes will come slow but steady - and everyone will notice.
nitpick23 - yep, Max is giving Tess false hope - but doesn't even realize he's doing it. The feelings thing is still quite new for him - and i wouldn't descrbe Tess and Max as lovers either - but she would! Thanks.
cjslne8 - thank you - here you go - hope you like!
Alien614 - thank you!
Twilighteyes - thank you thank you! Yes - i kind of feel bad for Tess too - i have to say. She has been good so far - BUT people, even human people, can react very badly when their future, or existance is threatened. And Tess has always been much too shy to approach Kyle - but maybe that too will change. Thanks again.
katydid - thank you. Now that i think about it - i'm not sure Antar is a planet worth saving. Kivar, Kal, Max, Tess - it seems like everyone who's there are big jerks while they're there! :D
Natalie36 - thank you
roswell4life - thanks - more changes are definately coming soon!
polar vixen - thanky you so much!

Thank you to all for your comments and for continuing to read this! You're all making this very very fun!

Chapter 26

Michael Guerin was angry - and frustrated - with himself. Sequestered within the spare bedroom of his apartment that he used as a work room - a painting room - he threw the lid of the yellow paint across the room.

He had an exhibit in two weeks - he had to work - he had to concentrate.

But he couldn't.

He couldn't because all he could picture in his mind was a blond ball of energy that never seemed to stop talking.

His lack of focus was all her fault.

Michael swiped at the sweat on his forehead, leaving a splash of white paint behind. He then dried his hand on the multicolored work jeans, blue out a large breath to calm himself and picked up the brush to touch to the canvas .

But nothing came.

"Dammit!" He exclaimed to no one, and flung the brush in his hand to the floor.

Well, he reasoned, it wasn't really her fault. She couldn't help how - distracting - he found her.

No - it was Isabel's fault.

That was it. Her and her stupid idea to go over to Maria Deluca's house and make sure she would keep quiet. To make her too nervous about the consequences to reveal their secret to anyone.

He'd disagreed with the plan immediately - knowing Max would flip out - knowing the plan could backfire and actually push Maria to report them - out of fear.

He hadn't liked the idea at all - but he had gone along anyway. Just to make sure Isabel didn't go too far. To protect their interests - he had gone.

Michael sat down in front of the still blank canvas and remembered the visit of that morning. How Maria had looked when she answered the door - a bit flustered at the unexpected visitors - a slight blush on her cheeks. She'd been surprised at who was knocking on her door - but not unhappy to see them. Once they'd stepped inside though- it had all pretty much gone to hell from there.

"Well, this is a surprise," Maria commented honestly as she led Isabel and Michael into her living room. Amy had moved into Jim's home, but since the house was paid off they had kept it for Maria to use when she was in town. "Make yourselves comfortable - do you want something to drink?"

"No thank you." Isabel replied for the both of them.

Getting right to the point, as was her habit, Maria said, "Look, I know why you guys are here."

"I doubt that." Isabel returned a bit smugly.

Maria sighed and looked at Michael, "Liz told me you were very unhappy about me knowing - you know." She gestured with her hands. "But I want to reassure you - I would never tell anyone. I mean, I just can't imagine what it must be like…but I swear - your secret is safe with me."

"No, you can't imagine…" Isabel said quietly.

But it was Michael who held Maria's attention - he was staring at a painting that hung above her couch, on the wall. It depicted a woman, with long blond hair, her face unseen, gazing at the horizon as the sun went down. The sky was a mass of reds and bright oranges, and yellows - as if the heavens were burning.

It was called Fire.

"You like it?" Maria asked, seeing where his eyes were trained. "I bought it last year. The artist is anonymous. It just, moved me, you know? I think it's very…passionate. I had to have it as soon as I saw it."

Michael just nodded - words failing him at the moment.

The painting was one of his.

He shivered inside as he remembered he had actually been thinking of her when he'd created it. The yellow haired woman, looking to the distance, the fire in the sky reflecting what was inside her - who she was.

Finding his voice, he said, "You think I could have that drink after all - a Snapple or something?"

"Sure." And Maria went to the kitchen.

Once she was gone, Michael turned to Isabel and whispered, "We have to get out of here. This was an amazingly bad idea."

"What's wrong with you?" Isabel asked, noticing how strange he had acted, since Maria had opened the door to them. "I'm not leaving untill I know she won't say anything!" She added stubbornly.

Maria reemerged from the kitchen and handed Michael a tall glass of iced tea.

"Thank you." And he drank it down - feeling parched.

"The reason we're here," Isabel started, "is to make sure you understand why you can't tell anyone about us."

"I understand completely," Maria cut her off, "Kal came by last night and told me about the FBI, the special unit - how dangerous it is for you guys."

"It's not just dangerous for us." Isabel remarked, pinning Maria with a menacing stare.

"What do you mean?" Maria asked, starting to feel slightly uncomfortable by the other girl's gaze.

"I'm just saying - things happen," Isabel explained with a shrug, "Car breaks fail, fires start. We are aliens after all. There are all kinds of things that could happen, if someone can't be trusted."

"I see."

"Do you? I hope for your sake - you do. Complete silence is paramount - we tell no one. You can tell no one."

"Silence? Right - so you're kind of like the mob. If you can't trust someone they get…what? Whacked?" Maria asked, not appreciating where this was leading.

Isabel was delighted to see the discomfort on Maria's face, and continued, "Exactly. Bad things might happen to people who talk too much."

"Are you threatening me?" Maria asked - suddenly sounding more insulted then nervous.

"No - I don't threaten," Isabel came back, unaware of Maria's change in tone, "I'm just telling you the facts."

This is so not going to be good - Michael thought as the vision of Maria telling off their wood shop teacher popped into his head.

"I see." Maria said again, smiling. "Well let me tell you some facts. If you or any of your friends come to my house and try to push me around again - you won't have to worry about the FBI - you'll be too fucking worried about ME! You want to play mob? I'll play Al Capone and show you what I can do with a baseball bat! How dare you? I will not be intimidated. Do you understand me Isabel Evans? I said I won't tell anyone and I won't! Now get the hell out of my house before I forget my manners!"

Isabel was suddenly cowed by the other girl's fury - this was not how this was supposed to go. "Maria - I was just trying…"

"I know exactly what you were trying to do! And it won't work! You think I could ever be afraid of you? I survived you and your Ice Queen friends in high school - nothing could be worse than that! I'm an adult for Christ's sake and so are you - act like it! Just because you weren't conceived on this planet doesn't give you the right to go around behaving like a barbarian."

"Wait - wait. Just hold on one minute." Michael shouted and stood. "Why…you were freaking out yesterday - and now…now you don't care?"

"Of course I freaked out yesterday - its kind of a big bomb to drop on someone - especially growing up in this town!" Maria's voice calmed as she spoke, "But, I came home, smoked some cannabis and thought about things. After a while - it all became very clear. You're illegals - you're not supposed to be here and the government can't find out you are. Like Jose - he worked in my mom's store for years. He was an illegal immigrant from Mexico. I would never have turned him in - why would I do it to you?"

"We're not from Mexico, Maria," Michael said stupidly, still not being able to process that Maria knew the whole story and it didn't make any difference to her.

"No shit Sherlock. But, still its almost the same."

"And…you're not afraid - of us?"

Maria looked at Michael's face, hearing how exposed he sounded when he'd asked the question.

Kindly and with half a laugh she said, "Of course not Michael. I've known you…known of you - almost my entire life. I would never be afraid of you. Powers and all - you're still you." She shrugged, "I think the fact that you four can do things other people can't just makes you special. Not scary. Those guys who attacked Liz and I? They were scary. But that could never be you."

Michael was stunned. He had no words.

Maria, however, still had many. "And as for you," She turned and pointed at Isabel, "I know you're probably terrified but threatening people is not the right way to deal with that!"

Isabel looked on the verge of tears as she said, "You just can't tell anyone. Please."

"Who the hell do you think I'm going to…" And then Maria's voice died away, as her face went blank, still looking at Isabel.

"What?" Isabel asked, anxiously.

"You like Alex." Maria stated, her voice breathless from the shock.

"No - no I don't" Isabel insisted.

"Oh my God! You do - you really like him!"

"No I do not!" Isabel said again, feeling like she was in the third grade.

"That's why you were so scared! You thought I'd tell him - But I would never - I swear. I mean if you guys, like, get married - I would so definitely suggest you come clean with him first, but that's between you and him."

"Married?" Michael asked - shocked.

" Well - I just mean…Alex has been in love with you,well - forever."

Now it was Isabel's turn to be shocked and her face went blank with it, "He has?"

"Oh yeah - you're sooo it for him!" Maria offered as both she and Isabel sat beside one another on the couch. "I never thought he had a real chance or I would have told him to tell you ages ago."

"I always knew he liked me." Isabel confessed to Maria, like they were old friends, "But lots of guys like me. I didn't know he was that serious. Most guys are just interested, because they think I'm beautiful."

"Alex isn't superficial like that. He thinks your soul is beautiful." Maria explained.

Michael sat down in the chair, with his head in his hands, feeling like he was trapped on an episode of The View.

As Maria chattered away, all he could think of was that she was crazy. She must be insane - because she didn't care. She wasn't judging them on where they had come from - but on who they were now that they were here.

She was definately, totally, crazy.

And he had to stay away from her.

Because every time he saw her, each time he heard her talk, he found himself liking her more and more.

Coming out of his reverie, Michael stood up and picked up a fresh pallet. He added peach and dark brown paint and mixed them quickly.

He had to keep busy.

He had to do something to keep his thoughts away from the possibilities for himself and Maria Deluca now that he knew she knew the truth, and didn't care.

He had to keep his mind on something else - anything else. As he finished mixing the colors, he touched the brush to the canvas, inspiration finally coming to him.

He knew just what he would call this painting.

Mud.
Last edited by trulov on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 9/28 Part 26 pg16

Post by trulov »

Hey guys! posting this they running out the door! THanks so much for all your feeback and for continuing to read this story!

Chapter 27A
Song - Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

While Michael was putting the finishing touches on his latest creation, Max and Liz were in the motel suite finishing what had been a very enjoyable meal. Liz had gone all out - ceasar salad, lasagna with meat sauce, lemon sorbet for dessert, and an aged red wine that she alone partook in.

"So, how'd you know about the tobasco sauce?" Max asked, admiring how the candle light cast Liz in a soft, almost angelic glow.

She smiled, "That would be Kal - he told me you'd probably like spicy food. He's always enjoyed strong flavored foods - guess now I know why." She didn't think it was possible for Max Evans to be any more attractive, but when she saw the candles' fire reflected in his eyes - how they glowed a warm honey - she was mesmerized.

Leaving the dishes on the table for later, Liz walked to the couch in the living room with Max following her lead and sitting beside her.

"Are you sure you don't want some?" She asked holding up her wine glass, "It's excellent really."

"No, thanks we don't…we can't drink actually." Max explained, fully aware of how near they were on the small couch - loving that he could watch her up close, fighting the urge to touch her - to put his hand on hers.

"Why not?"

"Nasedo said that our bodies don't process alcohol like humans' do. It affects us…more - stronger."

Liz nodded, "Have you ever been curious as to what that means exactly?"

"Not really." Not until now.

Max had made it through four years of undergrad and three years of medical school - where drinking was a huge part of campus life - without a taste. He'd never even been tempted - always too afraid of losing control - always wanting to separate himself from his fellow classmates.

It had never bothered him - being separate - being above such behavior. But sitting there, next to Liz with the lights low, the music playing softly in the background, he found himself wondering what it would be like to share a drink with her. To participate in that social ceremony that seemed to bring humans such relaxation - that lowered their inhibitions so they could be closer to someone else without second guessing themselves. To be…normal.

But, he resisted the urge, knowing he had to stay clear headed, knowing he was here for a reason and he shouldn't allow himself to lose focus of that purpose - no matter how much he wanted to.

"So in the interest of getting to know you, I made a list of some topics I thought we should cover tonight." Liz said as she removed a folded piece of paper from her pocket.

Max smirked and raised his eyebrows, finding the organization with which her mind worked adorable.

Seeing the amusement on his face, Liz asked suspiciously, "What?"

Max replied with wide eyed innocence, "Nothing, nothing – please continue."

Liz took a breath, "Okay, number one - when is your birthday?"

Although it seemed like a simple place to start - nothing about Max Evans' life had ever been simple. "Well, my parents gave me the birthday of May fourteenth. But if you want to get technical, we emerged from the pods February seventh."

"Why did they pick May fourteenth?"

"It was Diane's father's birthday. No one knew when we were really born, so they picked dates for both Isabel and I that related to other family members. Hers is September twenty-ninth - Phillip's mother's birthday. Both their parents were already deceased by the time they adopted us."

Liz nodded, "I guess that answers number two - Phillip and Diane are your parents' names? Do you remember your other parents?"

"No. We don't really remember anything about that life - except Tess. She's always had vivid memories of Antar and who we were then."

"Why just her?" Liz wondered.

Max shrugged, "We're not sure. Maybe because she came out of her pod later then the rest of us. Maybe because she was raised by Nasedo and didn't have to bury who she really was so deep."

Liz found it interesting that both the women in Max's life had been raised by shape shifters - Tess by Nasedo, she by Kal. Then she mentally shook her head at herself - she wasn't in Max's life at all, really. Where the hell had that thought come from?

"When's yours?"

"My what?"

"Your birthday?" Max asked. He didn't need to know - it wouldn't help with the process they were undertaking. But still, he wanted to know.

"July eighth." Liz answered, smiling softly.

Over the next two and a half hours, they worked their way down Liz's list of questions. Likes, dislikes, habits, embarrassments, childhood fears, injuries, pets, boyfriends, favorite TV shows, favorite books - they covered it all - almost any minute detail of their lives. Information that usually took normal couples ten dates to exchange.

Its late in the evening, she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blond hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

Liz had just finished her second glass of wine, when the list was at last complete. Out of the blue, she found herself asking, "So, why a doctor?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you have a photographic memory, you've searched your whole life for the elusive Granolith - why become a surgeon? Why not - I don't know - an archeologist?" Liz asked.

Max shrugged again - never having given much thought to how he settled into his current career, "It just seemed to make sense at the time. With my healing powers, the human body isn't exactly a challenge for me. I knew it was a job I could naturally excel at, without much effort."

"It must be wonderful to be able to help so many people, to make such a difference in someone's life." Liz commented.

Max shifted uncomfortably at Liz's words. Most men suffered the years of training and long hours required to be a doctor because they wanted to heal - wanted to help their fellow man. The fact was he had become a doctor simply because he could heal, but the humanitarian desire had never been there for him.

It made him seem cold and self-centered. He glanced at Liz wondering if that's how she saw him. With amazement, he acknowledged, he didn't want Liz to just know him - to trust him enough to transfer the scion. He wanted her to like him - as a man. He wanted her respect, even though he now knew he hadn't behaved in a manner deserving of either, for the better part of his life.

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

The realization caused his stomach to twist into a knot of anxiety. The desire to be the kind of man Liz wanted and deserved weighed down on him with the pressure of an elephant.

His mouth was suddenly dry, his palms sweaty - what could he do to show her he could be worthy - that he could be a good man? His mind was blank - he had nothing - which only served to intensify his nervousness.

"You know what? I think I will try that glass of wine." Max stated, hoping the beverage would calm him - relax him - as it obviously had Liz.

"Yeah?" Liz inquired, surprised by his request after his explanation earlier.

"Sure. I mean, we're here - we're not going anywhere. Now would be a nice time to have just one glass, don't you think?"

Liz smiled at him, and his stomach rumbled - but this time not with nerves.

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

As she poured him a glass of the red liquid, Max asked, ""So, what about you? Why the music business?"

"You mean other than the fact Kal was training me since I could walk to follow in his footsteps?" Liz answered and handed him the glass.

Max smiled as she continued, "Well, my dad - he had a band, you know. So I think music was just in my blood. I never wanted to play myself or sing - but there's just something about a good song that takes me away. It flows through me - moves me."

"I've never listened to music. I just don't get it - I don't understand it."

She sat back down beside him, electricity running though him, as her thigh brushed against his. "It's not about understanding it, Max. It's about how it makes you feel - letting it make you feel. A good beat on a summer night that just makes you want to get up and go crazy. A heartbreaking voice that can bring tears to your eyes. A soft tune that tells you love is real and out there and waiting for you. That makes you want to find that someone that you can move with, skin to skin - somebody you can put your arms around and never let go."

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light.
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.

Max nodded slowly at her speech, lost in the passion in her eyes - wanting to understand, to feel what she felt, but not quite there yet.

He raised the glass to his lips and took a sip.

Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight

Song - Alcohol by Brad Paisley

Two hours later Max and Liz were playing quarters - with wine.

I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight
With somebody twice your size

"You're cheating!"

"Am not!"

"Quarters do not pause in mid-air. Stop using your powers."

Liz handed Max two juice glasses filled half way with red wine, "Now you have to drink both. Cheater."

Max stuck his tongue out at her and emptied both glasses quickly.

He couldn't believe he'd never done this before - he would have been such a happier person if he had. He felt wonderful! The room was a bit fuzzy, and there were three Liz's sitting next to him instead of one - but that was a definite plus in Max's book.

And problems? What problems? The only problem he could think of at the moment was how to get the damn quarter to bounce into the glass.

Liz took her turn and missed.

"Hah!" Max exclaimed and handed her a half filled glass, which she downed while giggling.

I been known to cause a few break ups
I been known to cause a few births
I can make you new friends
Or get you fired from work.

"So, what was I talking about?" Liz asked, while once again thinking how hot Max looked at that moment - his eyes focused on the glass in front of him.

"You were telling me about the time you stole Kal's Porsche."

"Oh yeah - so we were sixteen and my friend Kayla, who later turned out not to be my friend, wanted to drive to Santa Barbara for the weekend. And the Porsche was just sitting there! It seemed like a good idea at the time - until Kal came back from his business trip early. Boy was he pissed!"

Laughing, Max asked, "What'd he do?"

"He called the cops!"

"No way!" Max yelled, his eyes wide.

"Way!" Liz shouted. And then said, "Well - no - they weren't really cops. They were actually his personal security team - but I didn't know that when they pulled us over all yelling "get out of the car" and lights flashing!"

"Oh yeah - I met some of those guys - scary." Max shuddered.

And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
Been making the bars lots of big money
And helping white people dance.

"Exactly! But anyway, they took us home and Kal - he reamed me out - grounded me for a week."

"Grounded you? In that house? What'd he do - take away the maid and the butler?"

"No." Liz sneered, "I had to come right home after school - no TV - blah blah blah."

"Were you afraid - when they pulled you over - when you got caught?" Max asked, failing to get the quarter in the glass, but trying again when he saw Liz had not noticed.

"You know what's funny? I really wasn't so much. I always sort of knew, what ever happened, Kal would be there. Like he'd never let anything bad happen to me. It made me feel…invincible."

Max smiled, wondering if that was how Liz Parker had grown into the brave, fearless woman she was now. "That must have been nice."

He finally got the quarter in the glass and passed it to her.

Liz squinted one eye and looked down the neck of the empty wine bottle, wondering where it had all gone - did it spill on the rug?

She looked up when Max put the quarter in front of her on the table.

I got you in trouble in high school
But college, now that was a ball
You had some of the best times
You'll never remember with me
Alcohol
Alcohol

"So what about you?" Liz made the quarter in on the first try and slid the glass across the table to Max, "What's the worst thing you've ever done?"

The smile slid from Max's face at the question.

"Why are you doing this to us? PLEASE leave us alone."

"GRANT!! OH MY GOD - STOP - PLEASE STOP HURTING HIM!!!!"

Max shook his head to clear the memories. No - not now. He couldn't let those dark thoughts overtake him.

"Nothing." He answered - forcing a smile - "I've always just flown under the radar - stayed right on that straight line."

"Awww - what a good wittle boy you must have been." Liz teased.

"Better then being a criminal." Max laughed back.

"I am not a criminal!"

"Well, let's see - you're an admitted pot head…"

"I smoked like three times in college!"

"And a car thief."

"It was Kal's car - not some strangers!"

"Still - I rest my case. Criminal." Max said as he pointed at Liz playfully.

"Shut up." Liz pushed him on the shoulder.

I got blamed at your wedding reception
For your best man's embarrassing speech
And also for those
Naked pictures of you at the beach

As Max drank another glass of wine, having missed again, Liz asked in a hushed tone, "So…have you ever seen Nasedo - you know - in his true form?"

Max choked on some of the wine as he rushed to answer, "Yes."

"No."

"Yeah - it was so fucking weird!"

"Oh my god!"

"In high school - Tess and I got to her house early, to study. He was in his room, but the door was open a little, and when I passed I saw his reflection in the mirror!"

Liz brought her hands to her cheeks, resembling the action Macaully Caulkin made famous in Home Alone, "Ahhh - what'd he look like?"

"Just like in the movies - but he was white - not green. He had this big head, and huge black eyes - it was freaky."

"I can't believe it!"

"I know." Max shook his head at the memory and took another sip.

I've influenced kings and world leaders
I helped Hemmingway write like he did
And I'll bet you a drink or two that I can make you
Put that lampshade on your head.

Then they both sighed, the laughter dying down, their game forgotten.

After a moment, Max looked at Liz, his eyes filled with drunken determination and he said, "Let's do something."

Liz took a drink, "Okay - what do you want to do?"

"I don't know." Max took another drink, "Just - something. Like you said - I've been this robot my whole life - I've never done anything. I've never cut loose - done something crazy. You stole cars when you were sixteen! I just…I want to…"

He wanted to live - he wanted to experience the indestructible freedom Liz had had growing up. Her stories, her strength, inspired him and he wanted to know what that felt like - even just for a moment - even just for tonight.

"Oooh - oooh - I know!" Max exclaimed as he stood up, "Come on!" he said as he hit Liz on the shoulder, harder than he'd meant to.

"Oww!" Liz rubbed her arm as she stood, "Where are we going?"

"You'll see! Just come on!" He said and in his excitement he reminded Liz of a little boy - one who was trying out a new bike for the first time.

Cause since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
Been making a fool out of folks just like you
And helping white people dance.

Caught up in his enthusiasm, Liz ran to the door, but then paused and went back to the kitchen to grab two more bottles of wine, in brown paper bags, for their trip.

When Max saw what she'd taken, he was pleased - thinking more wine would make the adventure all the more fun.

But he couldn't help but tease, "Uh...Liz? Maybe you should add "functioning alcoholic" to that list of your offenses."

Liz smiled sweetly and gave Max the finger.

He laughed and said, "Let's go."

I'm medicine and I am poison
I can help you up or make you fall
You had some of the best times
You'll never remember with me
Alcohol

Alcohol

As they walked out the door together, neither really noticed as their hands came together, lacing their fingers snugly with the others'. They fit so well - it just felt right - their intoxicated brains unable to register the action, or what it could imply.

It was simply the most natural thing in the world that Max Evans and Liz Parker should be holding hands.
Last edited by trulov on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/1 Part 27A pg17

Post by trulov »

Hey Guys - thank you all for still reading this and for all your great feedback.
Thanks to Wench on a Leash for betaing this for me - you are awesome!

nitpick23 - thanks for your comments. As for the reason Tess didn't humanize Max - the way I always saw it - it comes down to that moment off the school bus. If Liz had been there, Max would have seen something he wanted - someone human, of earth, that he liked, was drawn to and wanted to know. That would have made him want to get in touch with his human side - made him appreciate the wonderful things and people earth had to offer. His parents couldn't do it for him b/c he didn't feel about them the way he felt for Liz. She made him want - made him feel like he belonged here. Tess, although humane here, was always connected to his alien side. He didn't choose to be with her - he doesn't love her that way - and she doesn't connect him - ground him - to earth. If anything, in the beginning, she pushed him all the more to go home to their planet, b/c she's expecting a fairy tale castle - with her the Queen and max the King. Hope that explains how I'm thinking - just a little.
garcia88 - thank you - i'm so glad you like it!
Sari-Cup - thank you so much. I'm sooo happy you like this. Tess has the potential to be a very complicated character - and i like exploring that. Evil without purpose is very boring.
Alien614 - thank you!
roswell4life - thanks so much - here you go!
Rostheiceprincess1 - Sorry to disappoint you. Don't worry - they'll get there - but its a loooong road.
Wench on a Leash - :) You're the best!
pandas2001 - Max is a cutie when drunk
Natalie36 - glad I'm not the only one - the last part made me nastolgic for my twenties!
Twilighteyes - he's a part for you - EARLY - i'm just thrilled to bits that you like this so much - thanks.
kay_b - :oops: Thank you - your comment meant sooo much to me.
Timelord31 - thank you and thanks for reading!

Chapter 27B
Song - Keep On loving You by REO Speed-wagon

When they reached Max's Chevelle convertible in the parking lot, Max released Liz's hand to get his keys from his pocket.

As he pulled them out, Liz's hand covered his, "No way - you cannot drive."

"Sure I can."

"No, no," And she took the keys from his grasp. "Friends don't let friends drive drunk." And with that she hurled the keys, as far as she could, towards the bushes.

Pleased with herself, she smiled triumphantly at him.

Max proceeded to climb into the driver's seat and place his hand on the ignition. A moment later the car roared to life.

Now it was Max who smiled at her in victory, "So are you coming with me or not?" He asked.

"Oh what the hell." Liz said to herself as she climbed in the passenger seat. After all, he was an alien king. What could ever happen to her?

Fifteen minutes later, Max pulled the car down a lightless dirt road. He had driven there perfectly - despite being drunk for the first time.

Liz was impressed.

He parked the car and looked at Liz "What do you think?"

Liz peered into the blackness - having no idea where they were - she had no answer except, "Its kind of…dark."

Max nodded, got out of the car and put his hand on one of the dock posts. When he did, hundreds of white lights appeared on the posts and nearby trees. Liz took in the sight of a huge lake and long dock before her, the twinkling of the lights making it appear magical - a wonderland.

"Wow - it's beautiful."

Seeing how the lights made her eyes sparkle, Max said, looking right at her, "Sure is."

They walked together to the end of the dock and Liz took a drink of wine right from the bottle. Handing it to Max she said, "So, what do we do now?"

Max took a sip from the bottle, loving how free - how unstoppable - it made him feel. He didn't know who invented wine, but whoever the man was - Max would gladly bow at his feet in gratitude.

He looked at Liz seriously and said, "Now, we do something…wild." And then he put the wine bottle on the dock and began to slowly unbutton his shirt.

Liz sat down on the dock, watching Max intently, devouring every inch of his skin, with her eyes, as he revealed it.

Max gave her a half smirk as he let his shirt fall to the ground and reached for his belt buckle. Liz's mind ran amuck as she watched him - remembering her erotic dream in the hospital. This was sooo much better than her dream.

But Max's body - his glorious body - was certainly the stuff of fantasies. His chest, his arms, his stomach rippled with defined muscles each time he moved. His skin was smooth and bronze and she wanted to run her hands over it.

When his pants were gone, Liz took a swig from the bottle, hoping to calm the raging desire that coursed through her.

But Max saw it - saw the want - the desire in her eyes - on her face.

And it made him bold.

Clad only in black boxers he kneeled down in front of her, took another drink from the bottle, and whispered, "Are you coming?"

Liz could smell the sweet liquid on his breath, his face was so close to hers. She wondered, if she pressed her lips to his - would she taste it too?

Before she could answer him, Max stood and with a running leap, he flipped off the dock into the smooth water below.

His upper body emerged from the lake a moment later with a cry, "Woo Hoo!"

Liz laughed at his exhilaration, clapped her hands and said, "Perfect 10!"

"Come on Liz," Max called from the water, "Come swim with me!" He splashed water at her on the dock and waited.

Never one to shrink from a challenge, and having too much fun to deny him, Liz stood and slowly peeled her tan capris from her body, revealing pale pink bikini panties beneath.

Max stood as still as a statue as she bared herself to his ever darkening eyes. He felt himself stir and harden, in spite of the cold water that surrounded him from the waste down. Liz lifted her navy t-shirt over her head and Max's breath caught, reveling in the sight of her toned flat stomach, her perfectly shaped breasts hiding beneath a matching pink lace bra.

Liz's eyes never leaving his, she smiled and completed a perfect dive into the lake.

Swimming under the water, she popped up right in front of him not feeling the frigid temperature, not when the sight of his bare chest, dripping with water, suffused her body with such heat.

His eyes held hers and he whispered, "Hi."

"Hi." Liz returned.

Then swimming away from him, she asked playfully "So, I know you can dive - but can you race?"

"Please." Max said, giving her a disbelieving look, "Alien here - with super human speed - of course I can race."

Liz chuckled, "La dee da - you're talking to an LA girl - I practically lived in our pool. I bet I can beat you to the dock."

Seeing the dock was less then a quarter mile from them, Max replied, "You're on."

When they were in position beside one another, Max said, "Ready…Go!" And he took off swimming.

Frantically following him, Liz called indignantly, "Hey! You forgot Set!"

Moments later, they both reached the dock - Max having gotten there first. "You are such a cheater!" Liz argued.

"Don't be a sore loser." Max joked.

Liz lifted herself out of the water, giving Max the tantalizing view of her body, clad in only wet transparent undergarments.

Max stared - not even wanting to blink.

"God - it's freezing!" Liz cried, wrapping her arms around herself.

He hadn't thought about how they would dry off after their little excursion into the water. He hadn't thought about any of this really - and it was fantastic - not thinking - not planning at all.

For the first time in his life, Max felt - normal. Just a man, living for the moment, drinking and skinny dipping with a gorgeous woman who captivated him. It was exhilarating.

Then he remembered, "I think there's a blanket in the back seat."

Liz ran to get it, switching on the radio in the car before walking back to the dock where Max had climbed out.

The blanket was large enough that they each had an end wrapped around their shoulders as they sat on the dock next to one another.

Liz shook her hair, causing droplets of water to fly. Unable to resist any longer, Max reached up and let the silky strands run through his fingers. Even wet, Liz's hair was the softest thing he'd ever touched - like an exquisite down.

'Your hair – it's so soft, so pretty." He couldn't help but say.

"Yeah, I've always liked my hair." Liz agreed and took a drink from the wine bottle.

Passing it to Max, she asked, "What about you? What's your favorite thing about yourself?"

Max thought a moment as the sweet nectar flowed down his throat, "My abs. Three hundred sit ups a day." He hit the washboard hardness that was his midsection.

"They're pretty great, don't you think?" He asked cockily.

Oh yeah, Liz thought, but said, "En - their okay."

"Liar. You know it - you think I'm hot."

"Oh please - get over yourself." Liz insisted and took another drink.

"Let me think," Max tapped his finger on his chin in thought, "What was it you thought when you first saw me? Oh yes - I must be dead! You thought I was an angel!" Max laughed, pointing at Liz.

"Hey - that's not nice - you shouldn't read people's minds!"

"No mind reading - I can't help what I see when I healed you." Max defended, taking another swig from the quickly diminishing bottle.

"Still – it would be more polite to pretend you didn't know! Anyway, it's not fair. You know what I thought of you, but I don't know what you think of me." Liz stated.

"I think you're the most beautiful woman I've ever met."

Liz looked up sharply at his declaration, hearing the seriousness of his voice.

She said, "Thank you for saying that."

"It's just the truth Liz."

They stared at one another for a moment, both just registering their close proximity.

You should've seen by the look in my eyes, baby
There was something missin

Liz's eyes widened at the change in song, playing from the car radio. She stood up, oblivious to her lack of dress and said, "Oh my god - this song is awesome!"

"Is it?" Max asked, definitely noticing, once again, just how little Liz had on.

You should've known by the tone of my voice, maybe
But you didn't listen

"Oh yeah - it's a classic. You can't hear this song and not move." She explained as she started to rock her hips with the beat of the song, her arms above her head swaying in time with the music.

You played dead
But you never bled
Instead you lay still in the grass
All coiled up and hissin

When Max remained unmoving on the dock, Liz gave him a pointed stare and said, "So I suppose since you never liked music, you've never danced either?"

Max shook his head, "Never had the inclination, no."

Liz held out her arms in invitation, "So sad."

Max smiled and stood, the wine affecting his balance when he did - only Liz's arms coming around his shoulders stopped him from falling over.

Once standing straight, Max's hands naturally came to rest on Liz's bare hips, his entire body reacting to the feel of her.

And although I know all about those men
Still I don't remember
Cause it was us baby, way before them
And we're still together

Liz's arms stayed wrapped around Max's shoulders as their bodies moved as one to the music, her chest pressing deliciously against his bare one. He felt so warm - how could he be so warm on such a cool night?

And then she looked up into his face and saw how he was looking at her. As if she really was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Her face was just inches from his, so close he could feel her breath on his skin, when she asked, "Do you think we did this before?"

"What do you mean?" Max whispered back.

"You know - before - the other us. Do you think we came here?"

"I don't know." Max answered honestly. The truth was, he hadn't thought about that other version of himself or her all day.

Before, it had been that image of her from that timeline - who he saw in his dreams - that had haunted him.

But today, it had been this Liz - this flesh and blood woman pressed so closely against him that had filled his mind.

And I meant every word I said
When I said that I love you I meant
That I love you forever

"What do you think we were like?" Liz asked, her eyes never leaving his, feeling envy for that other her - who got to know what it was like to be loved by this strong, complicated, amazing man.

"I think we were happy." Max declared softly.

"Why do you think that?"

Max thought of his dream - of getting off the school bus and seeing the lovely little dark haired girl across the school yard - and how he had felt when he saw her.

"Because we were together. And the moment he saw you, you were the only thing he ever wanted."

And I'm gonna keep on lovin you
Cause it's the only thinkg I wanna do
I don't want to sleep
I just wanna keep on lovin you

And in that moment, all Max Evans wanted was to kiss the woman in his arms. He'd never wanted anything more in his entire life.

And I meant every word I said
When I said that I love you I meant
That I love you forever

As they moved slowly around the dock, Max lowered his head closer to Liz's until their foreheads touched. He tightened his arms around her, bringing their stomachs, their thighs together, not caring that she could feel how badly he wanted her.

He heard her sigh as her mouth opened slightly.

And I'm gonna keep on lovin you
Cause it's the only thing I wanna do
I don't wanna sleep
I just wanna keep on lovin you

So intent on the feel of her, the look on her face, Max didn't notice that when he placed his foot to the left, there was no dock below it.

Instinctively, his arms gripped her even tighter, but her weight couldn't offset his misstep, and within two seconds Max and Liz plunged under the water, still wrapped together.

They came up coughing and sputtering.

"Are you alright?" Max asked sheepishly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Liz said as she wiped her dripping face with her hand. Then she asked with a smile, "Are you sure you weren't a lady killer in high school, Max? Because let me tell you - you've got some moves. Very smooth."

"Are you making fun of me?" Max asked as he stalked closer to her.

"You? No. How could I make fun of you? You're so suave."

Liz barely got the words out, before Max dunked her head under the water. She burst back up to the surface, laughing, and proceeded to splash him with all her might. He returned the action and an all out fight ensued, as the two played in the water - having the time of their lives
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/4 Part 27B pg18

Post by trulov »

Thanks for all your feedback guys! And thank you - thank you for reading this - you've all made my year!

Chapter27C
Song - Bartender Song by Rehab

Ya know Moe I’ll probably get ten years
So just give me beers till they get here
Yea I know the sun is coming up
And ya’ll are probably getting ready for closing’ up

The ride back to the motel was not nearly as calm as the ride to the lake - the multiple bottles of wine they had consumed definitely impairing Max’s driving ability.

But I’m trying to dry my sole
I’m tired of this life on the dirt road

Max tried to park within the white lines of the parking space, but when they refused to stop moving he said, "Screw it," and opted to park up the curb half on the sidewalk in front of Liz's suite, instead.

Everything that I love is gone
And I’m tired of hanging on

The two stumbled from the car, both belting out loudly the words to the song that continued to blare from the car radio.

I'm sittin at a bar on the inside
Waitin for my ride on the outside
She broke my heart in the trailer park
So I jacked the keys to her fucking car

"And crashed that piece of shit! And then stepped away!" They sang in unison, laughing all the while.

Liz went back to the car, reached in and switched off the radio - not wanting to be rude and wake the neighbors. Although anyone who was still asleep after the noise of their arrival was most likely dead.

She walked to the door where Max was already standing, leaning against the wall of the building for balance.

"Hi!" She said when she reached him.

"Hello," He replied, causing both of them to break out into renewed laughter - at absolutely nothing.

When Liz's side started to hurt, she made a conscious effort to calm down and took a deep breath.

"I really, really had fun tonight, Max." She told him.

"Me too." He said sincerely.

As Liz looked at Max, who was looking back at her with a dopey grin that he couldn't shake from his face, an idea occurred to her, "Do you think we should try it?"

"Try what?" Max asked, confused. This had been the best night of his life. His thoughts began to wander lustfully as he thought about what Liz could possibly want to try with him, to make the night even better.

But she dashed his burgeoning hopes when she said, "The connection. The scion - do you think we should try the connection now?"

"Okay," Max agreed - why not?

She stepped up closer to him, "What should I do?"

Max looked down into her big, trusting brown eyes and put his hands on the shoulders of the Liz in the middle - as there were still three of her looking at him.

She stepped even closer when he did and put her hands on his chest.

Max licked his dry lips, "Just...let your mind blank out. Try to relax."

Liz nodded slightly and then she was lost - lost in the beauty of his eyes.

The connection flared immediately, both of them too drunk to keep up any walls. And Max saw into Liz's heart - into her mind and soul.

Liz standing in the suite living room after she had ordered him out, filled with pain from his words and regret from her actions

Awe and gratitude for him when he gave her the memory of her parents

Liz getting ready for their dinner tonight, setting the table, picking out something to wear, filled with nervous excitement and anticipation

Seeing him as she saw him when he took his clothes off at the lake, thinking he was beautiful, wanting him like she'd never wanted another

And he saw the scion, still lit with a silvery blue, suspended above her memories, her feelings. He saw it, but it remained closed and in place - unchanged.

While Max was seeing and experiencing all Liz had felt the last day, Liz was doing the same. Maybe it was the alcohol coursing through his system. Maybe it was just being near her - a woman like no other he'd ever met - who made him feel what no other ever had. Whatever it was, his mind and soul were open to her and she basked in what they showed her.

Two children walking in the desert, so cold, so afraid

A little boy getting off the school bus, feeling alone despite the children all around him

Emptiness

Loneliness

Hollowness

Fear for Michael and Isabel and Tess

Pressure to be a leader - a King

Anger at his own inability to be what they needed

Confusion when touching Liz the first time in the emergency room

Feelings overwhelming him - tearing him in two

Dreams, memories, swirling together

Seeing herself as Max saw her - lovely, angelic

Feeling the void, the missing piece in his soul at last starting to fill - without him even realizing it

Her presence finally bringing him something he'd never had - peace

They came out of the connection simultaneously, both suddenly sober. Max swallowed and caressed Liz's cheek with his thumb, while his hands held her face.

"Did it work?" Liz asked, breathless from the things she'd seen, the things she'd felt.

"No." Max whispered, without a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Liz bit her bottom lip and Max's control snapped. He leaned his head forward - he had to kiss her - he needed to kiss her - more than he'd ever needed air to breathe.

He leaned forward and as their noses touched, the door to the suite was quickly pulled open and a worried Kal Langley stood before the pair, "Where the hell have you two been? It's three o'clock in the god damn morning!"

Max slowly dropped his hands from Liz's face, completely unashamed of what he'd been about to do, but knowing that the moment was lost.

"We went for a drive Kal - you shouldn't have worried." Liz explained innocently as she walked into the suite.

"I came out here and you two were gone! How was I supposed to not worry?" Kal asked.

"I was with Max." Liz answered as if it was the simplest explanation in the world.

"Oh, well that just makes me feel so much better, then" Kal responded sarcastically. "Why is your hair wet?"

"We went swimming." Liz said, yawning. Now that the wine was wearing off, the long day was catching up with her.

Kal looked at Liz's clothes, noting they were completely dry. Disliking Max Evans even more at what that fact could mean, he threw a cell phone at him and said, "And you left this here. Your Queen called. Several times. She was not pleased when I told her I didn't know where you were. More than likely, she called in the reserves for a search party - I think you should let her know you're alive."

"Right." Max said awkwardly - feeling stupid for forgetting his phone.

While Max went outside on the steps to make the call, Kal turned to Liz, "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah," she said happily - hugging him, "I'm actually fantastic."

And she was. Whatever the circumstances, she'd just had an amazing time. And she wouldn't ruin it by dwelling on the fact that her partner in that night was on the phone with his girlfriend - uh - fiancé.

Tomorrow would be soon enough to think on that. Tonight - she would just let herself enjoy the incredible way Max Evans had made her feel - like she was the one - the only one.

Max poked his head in the door and said, "Tess is just a few blocks away in her car. She'll be here in a minute to pick me up. I'll…ah…get my car tomorrow."

Liz stepped outside, closing the door behind her and sat on the stoop to wait with Max. He sat down beside her. They looked up at the night sky, their shoulders touching comfortingly.

"So…" Max said, feeling considerably less brave, now that the effects of the wine seemed to be dissipating, "What a night, huh?"

Liz, however, was still feeling bold. Seeing his self conscious smile, she put her hand on his knee and said unabashedly, "It was the best night of my life, Max."

He looked in her eyes, and a genuine smile spread across his face. "Yeah," he agreed, before he pushed a lock of her hair back from her face, tucking in behind her ear.

And his hand stayed there, just wanting to touch her, feel her… a moment more.

Their eyes broke apart when headlights swerved into the parking lot, blinding them. They stood and Max said, "I'll…see you tomorrow?"

Liz smiled and said, "Sure - call me tomorrow. Goodnight Max."

"'Night Liz." Max said and then turned to walk to the waiting car - back to reality, back to his life - back to his destiny.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/7 Part 27C pg19

Post by trulov »

Thank you guys for all your great comments - so glad you liked the last part! You are the best readers!

This part's short. I'll have a longer part up tomorrow!

Chapter 28

The next morning Tess pulled into the motel parking lot with Max beside her in the passenger seat. When she'd spoken to Langley the night before, when he'd said Liz and Max were nowhere to be found, she'd automatically assumed the worst -that they had been rushed and taken by Nicolas and his animals.

After calling Michael and Isabel, she'd been too consumed with fear to wait at their house and had driven around aimlessly in her car looking for them, for some sign of where they could be.

When she'd heard Max's voice on the phone, when she'd seen with her own eyes that he was alright a few minutes later, she had been so relieved that he was safe, that she didn't care to ask where he had been at such a late hour.
And then he'd gone a fallen asleep on the ride home, barely waking enough to stagger to their bedroom.

"So, you're going to go running?" Tess asked. Max had always liked to work out - jogging in particular. It was one activity she couldn't bring herself to share with him. The burning in her legs, the constriction of her chest when she'd tried - she couldn't stand it.

"Yeah, we shouldn't be too long." He held up his cell phone, "And I'll keep my phone with me this time. I'll see you later." He smiled at her and got out of the car. As Tess backed out, she noticed the odd manner in which Max's car was parked. Curious, she made a mental note to definitely ask him about that later on.

As Max walked to the motel door, he couldn't help but recall what had almost happened on that very stoop last night. He smiled as he remembered the look in Liz's eyes, the head rush of feeling her in his arms.

In spite of what he had wanted last night, in the light of morning, he was glad they had been interrupted. The logical side of him knew that any physical developments between Liz and himself would only serve to complicate an already complicated situation.

He had to stay distant - well as distant as he could anyway. He couldn't allow his attraction to Liz to get in the way of his ultimate goal. He couldn't let himself get swept away, again, by the amazing things she made him feel. No matter how much he wanted to.

The door was answered by Langley, a lit cigar in one hand, a newspaper in the other. Without a greeting, he turned, leaving the door opened behind him and sat at the kitchen table, to resume reading the paper.

"She's still sleeping." He commented as Max walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Oh. Can I…" He pointed down the hall to Liz's room, "I thought she'd like to go for a run."

Kal looked up, giving Max a death glare and said, "How nice of you."

Becoming annoyed at Langley's attitude, Max asked, "Do you have a problem?"

"Yes. You. I thought that was fairly obvious."

"Want to tell me what sin I've committed now?"

"You survived." Langley said dryly, and then put the smoking cigar in his mouth.

"Alright, that's it. I've put up with your attitude. I've taken shit from you I've never taken from anyone because I know you're concerned for Liz. I'm trying here - I'm doing the best I can. This whole thing was your idea to start with, and now what? You're pissed at me because I'm trying to make your plan work?"

Kal put his paper down and gave his full attention to the young man before him, "If it wasn't for you, there wouldn't be a reason for any plan. She'd be in LA right now, living the life she's loved. Instead, she's here. With you. Going swimming in the dead of night and coming home giddy - like I haven't seen since she was thirteen and had her first crush."

"I still don't understand your problem. We're getting to know each other - that was the deal."

"The deal did not include her falling for you! The deal does certainly not include you taking her skinny dipping and doing - Christ only knows - with her."

"How did you…?"

"Do I look blind to you? Do I look like a fucking fool? Her clothes were dry, Max. So unless you made a bathing suit out of a frigging fig leaf, I'm going to assume she got her hair wet by swimming sans anything on. What did you think? You could get her drunk, maybe get a little human action? I already knew you were using her for what's in her head - I am not going to sit quietly by and let you use her for anything else, you son of a bitch." Langley finished heatedly.

Max sighed, "It's not like that Langley. I swear to god, it's not like that at all. I don't want to use her. I feel things - for her. Only her. I've never…"

"That's sweet, really - very romantic. You are forgetting, however, that if this plan is successful and if that damn scion says what you think it will, you won't be here very long. You will leave her - forever. So excuse me if I'm not all choked up at your declaration of feelings for her - because if she returns them - and I can tell you, she already does - you will shatter her when you leave. She will be broken and hurt and I don't know if I can put those kinds of pieces back together for her."

Max felt his chest constrict painfully at the words, knowing they were true. He sat down in the chair next to the protector.

He didn't want to hurt Liz - the idea that he would made him want to stick a knife in his chest. So he whispered sincerely, "What am I supposed to do? I can't help that I think she's beautiful, that I care for her, she's so easy to care about." He licked his lips and continued, "I have to spend time with her, so she'll know me - trust me - it's the only way she'll get out of this safely. And I want that, I do, I want her safe - always. Please, tell me how I'm supposed to do this without hurting her."

"Let her go." Kal answered immediately. "Stop this before her feelings go any further. Let me take her away from here - from all of this."

"I can't do that." Max said firmly, "You know I can't."

Kal closed his eyes, trying not to hate the man in front of him. Kal was a soldier, once. He knew the position Max was in was not an easy one. And he believed him when he said he cared for Liz. But the fact remained, he cared about the scion - about getting to Antar more.

And for Kal, to whom Liz meant everything, for whom he would give up anything - no sympathy for Max could be found - no matter how much he understood him.

"Then don't fucking complain if I treat you like shit. For what you'll do to her in the end - it's the least you deserve."

And with that, Kal walked to the door mumbling, "I'm going for a walk." Slamming the door behind him as he left, leaving Max alone at the table with a heavy heart.