Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Mature) [Complete]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 10, 5/29/09, pg. 5

Post by Eva »

To chanks_girl: Almost always my first reader on this board. :D Nice you liked this part too.
I wouldn’t say Michael is that egoistic. He wanted to do the good thing by breaking up. But you’re right. He didn’t consider the consequences. But that’s just Michael, you know.

To mary mary: You’re right about that one. The question is, how much time will he need? And indeed, will Maria wait for him?

To xmag: Hope that one trigger will do the trick.

To nibbles2: Thank you! I hope I can keep up with that.

To tequathisy: I think that path is very old, bumpy and at some moments even rough.

Chapter eleven

Sometimes everything seems awkward and large
Imagine a Wednesday evening in March
Future and past, at the same time
I make use of the night, start drinking a lot
Although not ideal, for now it's all that I've got

Milow – You Don’t Know

“You’re allowed to miss her, you know.”

Michael was startled by the voice. Somebody bent over him and he backed away instinctively.

He had been so lost in his thoughts that it took him a moment to remember where he was. Slowly he noticed the spot lights and the disco bar. The dancing people on the dance floor, the others conversing by the bar and suddenly he remembered that he was at a party with the guys. Although he hadn’t wanted to come at first, they had persuaded him to go anyway.

He looked at the shadow behind him. Long blond hair tickled him, brown eyes peered right in to his.

Isabel.

She wrapped her arms round his neck and laid her head on his shoulders. Softly he touched her hands.

“How long have you been watching me?” he muttered.

She shook her head in the direction of the dance floor where Maria was dancing. “Long enough to see she still holds a big part in your heart. Or at least your thoughts.”

“She’s not who I thought she was. She shut me off, just like that.” His gruff voice couldn’t hide the pain and disappointment.

“Who shut who off?” she pointed out. “Did you give her a chance? Did you give yourself a chance?”

A grim expression appeared on his face. “Isabel, I love you a lot but don’t interfere in something you know nothing about. Stay out of it!”

His bottled up anger gave her jim-jams. Especially because she knew his anger was unfounded. It made her doubly motivated to argue with him.

“I’ve got eyes and ears in my head. I know what I see. Plus, Maria told me everything. Her side of the story as well as yours. She’s much more objective than you are, you know. Don’t look at me like that, little bro. Somebody has to clean up your mess before you drown in them.”

“Damn it, Iz.” Michael’s face was stormy now.

Isabel knew that Michael was on the verge of exploding. But she decided to take the risk and let him have her uncensored thoughts.

“Hold your horses, Michael, we’re at a party. And I really don’t feel like arguing here. Not with you, not with anyone else. Not here. Not where everybody can watch. But I’ll tell you this and listen carefully and stick it in that daft head of yours, the last two months were a downright disaster. And not only for you but for everybody who lived in the same house as you. You were completely unpleasant, totally and insufferable annoying and arrogant. If you weren’t like a brother to me, I would’ve asked for a divorce long time ago.”

He grinned sourly at her humor. Isabel noticed she was getting through to him and restrained herself a little.

“We all love you but this has to stop, Michael. It just has to. It isn’t livable anymore. For anybody. Please, take a very good look around tonight. Look at her. At yourself. You have to do something. Really. ‘Cause it can’t go any further.”

She ended the conversation by giving him a kiss on the forehead and left him behind.

And while she walked back to her friends, Michael reflected on the things she said. Were those past months really that bad? A voice in his head whispered she hadn’t exaggerated. On the contrary. He had taken out his frustration at everything that had gone wrong on those that were the closest to him. And the Evans family had certainly had more than their share of his anger lately. He even wondered why they had put up with his moods for so long.

Isabel had planted some doubts in his mind. What if she was right? Had he misjudged Maria? Except that period where she had backed off, she had always remained herself. The nice, lovely, outgoing and wacky girl. Everybody’s friend. And she had stayed that way, even though he had treated her like shit.

And that one period when everything had started. Well, he wasn’t exactly blameless. Actually he had pretty much been the cause of everything. Had he misinterpreted the situation? Had he made the wrong decision?

His thoughts brewed while he stared at Maria without really seeing her. His view was hazy with memories. Moments from the past months played over in his mind rapidly.

Maria lying under him while she looked right into his eyes with fascination.

Maria laughing out loud during a funny moment.

Maria crying in the streets when he left her.

Maria with a hurt expression when he bluntly ignored her in the Crashdown.

“Hey, Michael, like a beer?”

For the second time that evening he was startled. Due to his dark thoughts he hadn’t heard his friends till now. From where he was standing, he could hear them talk and grin.

“Did you see the game between the Mavericks and Lakers?”

“Was that game yesterday? How did it go?”

Max and Kyle were discussing basketball while Alex, a real anti-sportsman, always kept interrupting them with the most ridiculous and absurd jokes.

“Do you guys know what you have to do when you see an elephant with a basketball?

Max and Kyle both shook their head.

“Get out of the way, as fast as you can.”

Alex’s insane remarks caused confusion at first before the guys cracked up and they all began trading jokes and witty remarks.

Michael looked in Maria's direction and then again to the three guys. The decision was made quickly.

In an effort to forget everything, although it was only for one evening, he threw himself completely in the good spirits of his friends. And in that same effort he embraced the temporary comfort of alcohol as well though he normally detested drunk people because he knew to well what they could do to everybody round them. He just had to remember Hank who had beaten the shit out of him on more than one occasion or look at the wheel chair he was sitting in right now. But that night, he just wanted to forget everything.

Later in the evening the four friends shifted themselves from the bar to the dance floor. The beer had flowed liberally and the spirits were high, verging on exuberant.

In the course of the evening the alcohol had washed away all inhibitations.

When the DJ turned the music to a slow song, everybody found each other on the dance floor. Not always choosing the usual couples. Alex grabbed Maria and whirled her eagerly through the room. On a given moment he literally mopped the floor with her.
Kyle found Liz and Max drove Michael around with Isabel as well as Tess on his lap. They all acted totally nuts.

And when the DJ changed to a heavy rock record, everybody went out of their minds. They head banged, jumped and danced outrageous. And even Michael, who normally wouldn’t enter a dance floor, let himself go under the influence of the alcohol he had drunk that evening.

One moment he accidentally hit Maria while maneuvering himself on the dance floor. She looked at him, smiling. Her eyes sparkled without any anger in them. Just like before.
It made him more reckless and rash. He felt like a child, testing the boundaries of the impossible,

For the next half hour Michael kept circling round Maria. Off and on he bumped in to her ‘accidentally’, a provoking smirk on his lips.

After a while it made her feel jumpy and testy. But she didn’t want to give him the pleasure of a reaction. But when he bumped into her for the umpteenth time, she couldn’t restrain herself any longer.

She opened her mouth to put him in his place but before she could yell at him, Michael surprised her completely. With his strong arms he pulled her on his lap and started dancing and rolling around to the hilarity of everyone present. And to finish it off he clicked his chair with both hands. With Maria still on his lap he balanced on his two wheels and did some tricks. A daring sneer on his face.

Utterly animated Maria laughed along with the rest while her hands clung to his shirt in an effort not to fall. An observent spectator could see that her laugh didn’t reach her eyes. They watched Michael in question and measured him closely.

Michael’s eyes twinkled devilishly. Eager and provoking at the same time. Maria immediately knew that he wouldn’t listen to reason tonight.

He waited till the end of the song to drive her outside the circle of people, away of the masses and their friends. Abruptly he changed from extreme joyfulness to a very bashful attitude. His eyes became rooted to the floor. As if he couldn’t explain what he didn’t understand himself.

But Maria didn’t spot that. Even before he had stopped, she tried to free herself. In her eager attempt to get away from him, Maria hurt herself on one of the handles of his chair. Instantly Michael grabbed her when she staggered. But she didn’t want him too so she quickly shook off his hands. And after slapping his shoulder, she left him behind. Without saying one single word.

Afterwards she kept glaring at him. She knew something was wrong. It wasn’t hard to figure that one out. The more she watched his extrovert gestures, his daring attitude and his ‘I’ve got nothing to loose’ look in his eyes, the more she became certain there was no doubt about it. She could see that in his own screwed up way Michael had tried to tell her something. But what?

She realized she wouldn’t find answers tonight. Not here in this bar. Not in the intoxicated condition he was in.
Take a look at Eva's world
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 11, 6/5/09, pg. 6

Post by Eva »

To DeDePR: Isabel feels a bit responsible for Michael. He always was as a brother to her. She left Michael with a lot to think about. To find a way out of the drama.

To chanks_girl: Isabel was the best person to take the lead in solving the personal problems of Michael. Max would end up lecturing him, and the others just don’t know him that well. You can really see Michael & Maria still care about each other. But you’re right: they will have to take things step by step.

To nibbles2: Thanks. Everybody really liked Isabel. :D We’ll see how much Michael will remember.

To mary mary: Intense and confused. Dangerous combination. But you’re right: maybe it’s a good thing.

To xmag: Yeah, Michael is really in the dark. Hopefully he will see the light and find his way back.

To tequathisy: Thank you!

Chapter twelve

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spend it with you
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on

Lou Reed - Perfect day

30th March

It was a beautiful spring. The sunlight sparkled in the reflection of the bathroom mirror. Maria checked her make-up and hair for the last time. She wanted to shine today.

Today was a special day. Today was Liz’s and Max’s wedding day. And as Liz’s best friend she was chosen as a bridesmaid. It was the first time she had ever been asked to do it and she was really looking forward to it. The glitter, the attention, the long classy clothes, the fuss, the romance… She loved it all.

Though she had to admit it made her feel melancholic. And if she was honest, she was a little jealous too. Jealous of the fairytale of Liz and Max.

Liz had found in Max everything she was looking for: a romantic, thoughtful and charming guy who worshipped the ground she was walking on. Their attraction had begin when they were only chidlren. And when they finally dared to take the first step at sixteen, their relationship started rolling like a train. They started dating in high school, survived university together and were now living together in Roswell. In sin.

Maria smirked with that last thought. She could still recollect Mr. Parker’s reaction when Max and Liz had announced they would buy a house together in Roswell.

“You’re taking my little girl to live in sin? Are you out of you mind?” he had yelled at Max.

“Eh, dad, we already lived… Well, we already shared a room together in Harvard. So it won’t -” Liz had interfered.

“What?” Mr. Parker’s face was turning red now. “When were you intending on letting us in on that one? Did you have sex with him?” He asked in the same breath, pinning his finger to Max’s chest.

Liz’s face had flushed too now. “Well, dad, it was just cheaper that way. We shared the costs. And we do love each other, you know. And-” She had tried to sooth her father.

“And with your permission, sir, I would like to marry Liz. I asked your daughter already and she has said ‘yes’.” Max had added.

This had fell on good ground with Mr. Parker. He had nodded approvingly.

“And Liz has always dreamt about that old house cross the street. We have the opportunity to buy it now. It would be foolish not to take the offer. But we have to do it together or we can’t afford it. Not right now anyway.”

Eventually Mr. Parker had given his blessing. On one condition though: that they would marry within the year.

And exactly one year later they had set the wedding.

And today was the big day.

Maria sniffed. It wasn’t only because it was Liz who was getting married. Weddings always made her melancholic. First of all because it worked on her soul. Her romantic heart always got touched. It just moved her to tears, every time. Even when she was watching the wedding of two completely strangers. And now it was her best friend who took the step.

And Max was Michael’s best friend. The second reason to feel down. It had been eight months since she had seen him for the first time after several years, that day in August at the rehab center. After a rough start it had developed so nicely. First friends again, then lovers,… And now nothing.

"Really great." she muttered ironicaly.

Within a half year their friendship was again thrown in pieces. Shattered like never before. And this time she had a broken heart to top it off.

But she still liked him, cared about him. Hell, even loved him.

His weird behavior at the party a month ago, still worried the hell out of her and at the same time it irritated her too. She had tried to talk to him. Several times. Whether in person or on the telephone, he had always evaded her before she could start questioning him. And always adding a harsh remark towards her.

And today he would be there. As best man for Max.

“Come on, DeLuca, be Teflon! You can do it.” Maria encouraged herself.

Before she could brood even more on it, she heard the horn of a car.

“Maria! The girls are here.” Her mother yelled to her.

“Yeah! I heard. I’m coming.” She shouted back.

In haste she grabbed her purse, dress and high heels and hurried herself outside where Isabel and Tess were waiting in the car.

Together they rode to Liz’s home to engross themselves in the wedding festivities. And with Isabel as severe and precise wedding nazi, that wasn’t too difficult.

It didn’t take them long to get dressed. Though they didn’t stop giggling and jabbering to each other. Well, it was actually Tess and Maria who couldn’t restrain themselves. Isabel went completely nuts trying to make everything perfect.

When they all got dressed , they took a look at themselves in the mirror. It was a beautiful view. Isabel, Tess and Maria all standing side by side, wearing the same red evening gown that emphasized their curves. And Isabel had also provided them all with the same matching purse and high heels. It was perfect!

After a while Liz entered the room where her friends were waiting. They all hold their breath when she walked in.

Liz was breathtaking; she was everything a bride should be. Her white gown was simple but suited her in every way possible. Her dark hair rolled elegant over her shoulders. The front parts were tied together with small white ribbons which curled in her long dark brown hair.
She was really a picture.

After Maria had taken a second to admire her best friend, she rushed towards her and hugged her tightly.

In the background they heard Isabel yell “Hey, watch that dress! You’re going to wrinkle it!” but they both didn’t care.

“Chica, you look just wonderful.” Maria murmured in Liz’s ear.

“Am I?” Liz wondered.

“Don’t even doubt it. Beautiful does’t even do justice to how great you look. You earned it in so many ways. I’m so glad and happy for you, pumpkin!”

They both started giggling when they saw the tears shine in each others eyes. Maria brushed them gently away from Liz’s face, trying not to ruin her make-up. “Look at us. We are complete nut cases.”

“Yeah.” Liz sniffed.

“You’re going to have one hell of a wedding day, Liz Parker. So enjoy every single minute of it. You will sparkle, I can promise you that.” Maria assured her.

“Thanks.” Liz hugged Maria again and whispered “And I hope you will find your prince charming too.”

“I already have, girl, I already have.” Maria muttered back and sighed. “But typical for me: lover boy doesn’t believe in fairytales. Hell, he doesn’t even believe in him self.”

Liz encouraged her. “He’ll find his way back. Keep hoping.”

“We’ll see. We’ll see.” Maria inhaled deeply. And in an effort to lighten the mood she whirled Liz around the room and shouted “Let’s party”. And her good mood rubbed of on everybody and like a bunch of crazy teenage girls they all started dancing and going completely out of their minds.

Mrs. Parker peeped her head in the room. She glared oddly at them and shook her head. The girls all looked at each other and couldn’t help laughing.

It was going to be a wonderful day.

A couple of minutes later they all stood behind the scenes, waiting at the first bars of the wedding marsh.

The ceremony was being held outside in the park. A beautiful porch was reserved for bride and groom. Max was already waiting just in front of it. Michael beside him in his wheel chair.

Maria couldn’t keep her eyes of him. Michael wore a dark suit and black tie. Though she could see he wasn’t comfortable in it, she thought it looked great on him. It made him look very distinguished and handsome.

And then the band started playing.

Maria smiled and shined. She started walking down the isle. She tried to focus on Max but in a corner of her eye she could see her mom waving in the crowd. Her smile broadened even more when she recognized the person sitting next to her. Sheriff Valenti. He had been trying to date her mom for ages now. At last he was making some progress in now.

Before she knew it she was at the end of the aisle and she took her place beside the altar. Isabel and Tess joined her almost immediately. And then they all looked at Liz who literally glowed while walking towards the man she adored.

Maria sniffed and quickly wiped a tear away. In an effort to pull herself together, she gazed away. And looked right into Michael’s eyes. The brown eyes pinned her like they never had before.

She and Michael both kept staring at each other, like they were the only people around.

And then Michael blinked away and the moment was gone.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 12, 6/12/09, pg. 6

Post by Eva »

To mary mary: Maria and Liz are so close, that could only lead to a sweet and deep moment between the both of them.

To chanks_girl: Yeah, you’re right. The girls were really cute.

To sarammlover: A new reader! Great! The fic is indeed a combination of several emotions: from joy to real tormention. Will Michael regain the use of his legs? That will stay a question for the moment, I’m afraid.

To tequathisy: Although I’m writing this stuff and I more or less know where this fic is heading, I’m hoping the same. :D

To DeDePR: A wedding is supposed to be a happy moment and maybe it can break the hard tension between everybody.

Chapter thirteen

When the aching is over
I hope we can talk again
I hope that you’ll understand me
I wonder if I ever will

Krezip – Everything and more

“You may kiss the bride.”

The priest hadn’t even finsished his line when Max took Liz in a romantic embrace.

The crowd applauded, cheered and whistled.

Michael released a breath. The first step of the wedding was over. “Thank God!” he thought. He really wasn’t into weddings. Especially weddings where he had to parade in a stupid penguin costume and pull off an act as best man. It was one of his worst nightmares.

“Thanks, man.”

Max’s voice interrupted his thoughts. Looking at Max he noticed the other people had already left.

“Oh, it was my pleasure.” He shrugged.

Max laughed out loud with the played nonchalance written all over Michael’s face. “No, it was not. Come on, just admit it, Michael. You hate this kind of things.”

“Yeah, true.” He confessed. “But I’ve got only one best friend since kindergarten, so-“

“Well, if that’s the case then I’m going to take even more advantage of it. Before you can run away, that is.”

And before Michael could react, Max grabbed the handles of his wheel chair and started pulling him in the direction of the garden.

“Maxwell?”

Max couldn’t hide the grin on his face anymore when he saw the obvious horror on Michael’s face appearing after he had said: “Picture time!”

Maria was already with the others gathered around in front of a nice setting of flowers and plants when Max and Michael turned round the corner.

She could see Max was teasing Michael. Michael looked accusingly at Max but underneath that pose she could see the start of a smirk on his face.

“Pictures are just a waste of paper, you know Maxwell. It shows people in the ugliest way possible.” Michael stated.

“Yeah, speak for yourself! But then again, you can’t turn something repulsive in a thing of beauty.”

“Oh, is that why all your pictures look like they escaped from a ghost house?”

“Ha, ha. Funny, really funny. Is that where mine met yours??”

“Maybe.”

The both grinned boyishly.

Until Michael became aware of her. Maria immediately noticed the change in his behaviour.
A “Did you see me” sign appeared on his provoking face.

“Oh boy!” went through her mind, followed by “What is he up to now?”

But instead of challenging her further at that moment, he just parked his chair nonchalantly on the other side. Trying to give her the impression that he didn’t care about her being there.

So she tried to do the same thing and kept herself busy arranging Liz’s dress, so the photographer could take pictures of the wedding couple alone.

After those the photographer started gesturing at the others to join.

Pictures with their families, with the bride’s maids, with the bride’s maids and the best man. Every combination had to pose before the camera.

And during every single one of them Maria could feel somebody watching at her. And every time she looked up, she couldn’t help looking right in Michael’s brewing eyes. It was as if he couldn’t stop glaring at her. As if she was irresistible for him. Though it made her very uncomfortable, she tried to ignore him. Smiling she looked right in the lens.

Michael tapped his fork against his champagne flute. When everybody present gave him their attention, he cleared his throat.

“Good evening, everyone. Max asked me to thank you all for coming today and helping to make Max and Liz’s wedding such a memorable and special occasion. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and made my job less nerve wracking. But hell, you’re here anyway. So here I go. I could say a lot of nice things about how great Max is as a friend. About how lovely and beautiful Liz is. And how they look great together. I could talk about true love and all those other fuzzy feelings. But you know me, I’m not going to do that. So, here’s to Max and Liz!"

Michael clinked to his best friend and his dream girl. And everybody followed suit.

Liz smiled at him and thanked him with her eyes. Max pulled up his thumb before he guided Liz to the dance floor for their first dance.

In the fuss of the first dance Michael took the chance to escape the party for a minute. When he drove outside, he met Kyle at the large porch.

Kyle looked up at him. “Hey, man, seems I’m not the only one breaking away.”

“My job is finished. Thank God for that!”

“That bad, huh?”

“If you like all the mumbo-jumbo it’s paradise. Really.”

“Kyle laughed at Michael’s stinging remark. But then, all of a sudden, he froze when he saw another person standing in the doorway.

“Kyle, what’s wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost.”

But before Kyle could answer, a voice startled them both.

“Michael Guerin, you’re telling me right now what’s going on in your head. ‘Cause I’m sick of the whole show you’ve pulled lately.”

Maria came closer and stood right in front of him. She looked enraged and fierce. It was Maria in hurricane-mode.

Kyle tilted his head and watched them both. “Ok, guys, two is a party, three is a crowd. People, enjoy yourself!”

And with those sarcastic words he turned on his heels and left them both alone on the porch.

Michael barked. “Look what you did! You chase everybody away. Besides, I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Maria’s eyes flashed. “That’s crap, Michael! And you know it! You’re well aware about what I’m talking about. Every fucking time it’s the same thing with you! Something is bothering you. And instead of talking about it like normal people do, you become touchy, annoying and completely unpleasant. And you make me look ridiculous every time our friends are around.”

“How-” he started.

“How do I know something’s wrong, you mean?” she stared at him. “Well, it wasn’t hard to figure that one out, pally. Even a child can see something’s up. What’s more, it’s not the first time you pulled off a stunt like that.”

Michael looked at her guiltily. He cringed hearing her angry words knowing that every one of them were true. But Maria was too worked up to notice.

“When you were seventeen, you cut me out of your life for several months because I wasn’t cheering your girlfriend. I was nothing to you for almost six months except somebody to make fun of. The highlight was the one time in the Crashdown. Every time I spilled something, you-”

“Gave a penny.” he finished her sentence. “I know, I never was that subtle.”

“Subtle?” Maria echoed. “That’s even an understatement, Michael! You make me so pissed off…”

“But I have your attention, don’t I?” he pointed dryly out.

His remark broke the tension between them both. His contented face made her chuckle whether she wanted it or not.

Maria snorted loudly. “Yeah, you got my attention. Damn, Michael, you know you can always have my attention if you want to.”

She touched her temples, making soothing, gentle circles on them. “Man, do I miss my oils right now” she thought. And when she was calmed down again, she took a seat on the ground next to his wheel chair. A weary look on her face.

“And now, can you please finally tell me what’s on your mind?”

Michael sighed heavily. “It’s kinda hard… Where in Gods name do I start?” he fidgeted with his hands in the pockets of his pants.

“From the beginning. Just start at the beginning, Michael.”

Hesitatingly he started, choking on the words as he spoke, “I miss our friendship, Maria. I… I miss you.”

His voice sounded so bleak to her ears, showing her his complete vulnerability.

Finally, after all those months, he had managed to speak out loud what he was feeling deep inside. His honest words took the wind out of her sails and all her anger faded away. Slowly her hand reached for his. This time he didn’t pull away. She squeezed them, letting him know everything was going to turn out fine.

“Me too, Michael. Me too.”

Michael sighed in relief. He looked at her in the twilight of the day and saw a tear shimmer.

“Emo,” he teased her. Tenderly and delicatly he brushed it away with his fingertip.

“Yeah, that’s me.” Maria giggled.

“So what happens next?”

“Now we’re going dancing and amuse ourselves like we never did before.” Resolute she stood up to reinforce her words.

But Michael hesitated again. “Is that everything you’re going to say? ‘Cause I’m ready to take everything what’s going on in the mad mind of yours. All of it.”

She shook her head. “I’m not going to do it, Michael. Not tonight, that is.”

Confused he looked at her. “Aren’t you mad anymore? Don’t I have to explain, apologize,…?

“Michael Guerin, could you please get your butt on the dance floor? Like now? ‘Cause we lost a couple of months with our own stupid behaviour. Again! It seems long enough to me. And you can be assured, I’m not angry anymore.”

She looked him right in the eye. “How can I stay angry with a guy who took so much pains to attract my attention? The way you went about it wasn’t that great, to say the least. But what the heck, that’s a small detail.

And then she saw the corner of his mouth quirk, a smile appearing on his face, as if it had taken him that long to realize she wasn’t going to yell at him. He sure knew she had every right to do so. But like always, her unpredictable behaviour had surprised him. Completely.

“Come on, nutcase, lead me to the dance floor. It’s the least you can do to make it up to me.”

And before she had the chance to change her mind and find another, more awkward, manner for him to make it up, he offered her his hand. “My lady?”

And with that word he grabbed her hand and did what he was told. He leaded her to the dance floor where they joined the others.
Last edited by Eva on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 13, 6/19/09, pg. 7

Post by Eva »

To sarammlover: Yeah, it was about time to talked or yelled to each other. Michael was really avoiding Maria. And you’re right, that was completely the real Michael!

To marymary: Thank you!

To xmag: They are back on track. But it will be step by step though.

To tequathisy: You are greedy, girl!

To nibbles2: Slowly is the right word to use in this situation.

To DeDePR: Like to see you’re enthusiastic ‘bout M&M. Lol

To chanksgirl: It’s true. They really deserve it. Both of them.

Author's note: I want to thank everybody who showed up at the author's chat on RoswellHeaven! I had a great time!

Chapter fourteen

Cause I ain't happy man
'till I see you smile
'till I see the spark back in your eyes
And I can tell you why

Anouk – My friend

3 weeks later

Maria sat on a bright coloured blanket in the grass. The sun shone brightly. She had taken off her shoes and her toes explored the grass next to the blanket. And though she was buried in paperwork, she enjoyed the moment thoroughly.

Normally she wouldn’t correct the papers of her students in a public park, but what the heck. She didn’t care. Maria was in the park for one and one particular reason only: Michael!

The place she was sitting had been chosen very strategically - just behind the bushes next to the basket court. From the spot she was sitting, she could easily watch the court without being noticed. At that moment it was still empty with the exception of a couple of teenage boys who were gathered next to the court. They were trying to build a skate ramp by the look of it but they weren’t doing a good job at it. Even Maria could tell that from where she was.

So she refocused to the papers on her lap. It was a sunny day and she hoped Michael would pass by in his sport wheel chair to practice.

Maria wasn’t even half-way through the next paper on her lap when she heard the bouncing of a basketball. Her head popped up the minute she heard the sound. Instantly a smile appeared on her face.

It was her lucky day!

It was Michael!

The papers immediately forgotten Maria couldn’t stop staring.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

A sudden voice surprised Maria completely. She jumped upright, holding her heart in the process. The papers fluttered in all directions.

“Are you spying on Michael?” Liz rephrased her question.

Relieved to see her best friend, Maria inhaled loudly. “Oh, it’s you, Liz! God, you startled me. Don’t you ever do that again, girl! It almost killed me.” Without taking a breath, Maria changed the topic. “Hey, you’re back! How was your honeymoon? You’re really looking good.”

“Don’t change the subject, Maria, answer the question.” Liz looked impatiently at her friend.

“Yes! No! Well, maybe…”

“Maria?” Liz raised an eyebrow at Maria’s evasive answer.

Instate of answering her, Maria pulled Liz next to her on the blanket. After Liz was seated, Maria pointed to Michael who was still playing.

“Liz, just look at him. What do you see?”

Puzzled Liz looked at Michael and back to Maria. Finally she shrugged her shoulders. “It’s just Michael, Maria.”

“That’s not ‘just’ Michael! Look closely. Look at his face. His eyes.”

At that moment Michael lost his grip on the basketball. With a swing the ball bounced into the middle of the teens sitting next to the court. A kid with messy long dark hair caught the ball. He hesitated, looked longing at it and eventually swung it back to Michael.

Michael noticed the desire of the boy to play. “Hey, you guys, you wanna play? You seem to have a break,” he nodded in the direction of the half finished wooden construction, “and I could use some competition. It’s kinda boring playing on my own.”

The boys looked at each other not knowing how they should react to the question the handicapped man had asked them. They had watched him play and had covertly stared at his wheel chair not believing he could still play while being seated in that thing.

Michael could feel the hesitation. “If you don’t play basketball, just say it. No problem for me. I’ll just keep on practising by myself.”

Eventually the kid, who had thrown the ball back, pulled himself up. “No, we play. Street basket, that is.”

“Ok! You’re on then! Let’s play ball!” Michael said enthusiastically and without giving them the opportunity to back off, he immediately started to divide them in groups.

Within five minutes they were all engrossed in the game. The boys quickly lost their awkwardness against Michael’s wheel chair and even forgot Michael was in one.

“Look at him, Liz. That’s not the Michael we‘ve seen the last couple of months. That person over there is the real thing! The real Michael Guerin. I can tell you that!”

Liz looked doubtfully. “If you ask me, I can’t see any difference.”

Gesturing wildly, Maria elaborated. “You may not have noticed it, but Michael and I finally talked. At your wedding party. I got angry, he swept me off my feet by showing me what he was feeling inside and we reconciled. But we aren’t back to where we were before, you know. We’re trying to be friends. But that best friend thing is gone. Vanished. It’s like we both walk on our toes when we meet. It’s shallow and fake. He just acts the same way around me that he does with everybody else. Grumpy, sometimes smirking. But it stops there. He doesn’t let me in. As a matter of fact, he doesn’t let anyone in anymore.”

“Oh, Liz, I miss the way we could bicker. The talking. His dry sense of humour. His laughter.” Maria said plaintively.

“Michael Guerin can laugh?” Liz chuckled, disbelief written all over her face.

“He certainly can! And it makes him look so handsome!”

Liz nodded that she understood what Maria was saying. “But what has that to do with Michael playing basketball?”

“Look at him, Liz! He smirks, laughs. He enjoys himself. And he doesn’t pretend. He’s himself.

Maria let out a deep sigh. “That’s how he used to behave himself with me too. And I really, really miss it.” Gazing at him, she corrected herself. “I miss him, Liz.”

Liz could hear the longing in Maria’s voice.

“And ‘cause I know you can only see him like that when he’s playing or drawing, I like to come to the park. I can’t spy on him when he’s drawing inside the house, so this is the next best thing.”

And then she giggled. “The next best thing to the being with the real Michael that is.”

After playing for fifteen minutes, the boys took a break. Sweaty and tired, they lowered themselves on to the grass besides the court. Michael took a spot next to them but stayed in his chair.

He swept the sweat of his forehead with the back of his hand while saying, “Street basket, huh? You guys play a great game.”

“Thanks” One of the guys muttered.

Another one looked at him. “You are a hell of a player too. Even in that thing.” The kid pointed at Michael’s chair.

“Are you a professional player, sir?”

The boys all looked at him now.

Michael smirked. “Hell no, before my accident I was actually a carpenter.”

The boys didn’t know it but it was the first time Michael had ever referred to his accident while talking to strangers. But even he didn’t notice it and went on. “Speaking of wood. What the hell are you guys building over there?” he nodded in the direction of the wooden construction.

The boy with the messed up hair grumbled, defeat clearly visible in the way he spoke and acted. “A skate ramp.”

“We want to ride our skateboard on one of those high ramps. In Roswell there’s nowhere we can practice.”

Another kid added. “We got the permission to build something but it’s fucked up.”

“Yeah, it’s a total disaster.”

Michael looked at the boys. It stung seeing them so disappointed.

“Haven’t you got anybody to help you out?”

“Nope.” The boy with the wild haircut shook his head.

One of the others explained. “He hasn’t got a dad.”

The boy he had referred too lowered his head in embarrassment.

“And ours-” He pointed at his brother. “Our father loves his job more then us. He isn’t around often.”

“And my mother says mine has two left hands.”

Michael couldn’t help feeling sorry for them. He knew how it was to have no dad around. And Hank? Well, he could honestly say his life would have been a lot easier without that creep. So he did the only thing he could think of.

“Come on, let me see that disaster of yours. I’ll see if I can give you boys a hand.”

Together they all moved towards their sorry attempt at a ramp.

It didn’t take long for Michael to see where they had gone wrong building the thing. With a lot of patience and effort, he gestured and showed them what they needed to do. Though he couldn’t help them out physically, he gave them pointers and even helped them saw some smaller pieces with a machine. He never realized he was being watched.

Maria slapped one hand dramatically to her forehead before she jumped up. “That’s it!” she blurted out. “God, why didn’t I think of that before? It’s so obvious.”

“Chica, I’ll be back! I just have to check something out.” And without saying another word she disappeared before Liz could react.

Completely dazed by the sudden outburst and disappearance of her best friend, Liz stayed behind. After a minute she shook her head in laughter and looked at the mess Maria had left behind.

And while gathering Maria’s stuff, she said out loud. “God, Maria, you’re going to loose your head one day if you keep acting like that.”
Last edited by Eva on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 14, 6/26/09, pg. 8

Post by Eva »

To chanks_girl: Yeah, step by step he’s making it in the real life. The boys on the court make him come out of his shell in a very natural way.
Somehow it is cute that Maria goes spying on Michael...creepy but in a cute way.
I think she’s getting a bit desperate. She definitely wants ‘her’ Michael back.

To nibbles2: I would do it too. Is there still some place to sit? :lol:

To tequathisy: I’m afraid you’re going to have a bit of patience to know that one.

To DeDePR: Maria actually sees and meets Michael, but he doesn’t act the way he usually does. He keeps everybody at arm length. So she watches him to see the real Michael. The one she knows and misses.

Chapter fifteen

Don’t be the one who breaks
Be the one who looks ahead
And just go-ooo for
And the world is yours

Zornik - 4 Million minutes

With a loud bang they let the door of the garage slam shut. Though the sound echoed in the building, they got no reaction what so ever. They waited impatiently for a few minutes but nobody came.

“Hey, Kyle!”

“Valenti, where are you, man?”

On cue a head popped out from under the car next to where Max was standing.

“Hi, guys!”

A startled Max immediately jumped up. “God, Kyle, that’s not good for my health!”

With a push Kyle launched himself and the board he was laying on out from under the car. Michael rolled himself closer towards his friends.

“I’m glad you guys came!” Kyle said while lifting himself up.

Michael smirked. “I’m glad you called in the first place. So, I assume you got some good news for me?”

“Hell yes, let me wash up first and I’ll show you what I could lay my hands on.”

Kyle calmly walked the sink in the corner and cleaned his hands thoroughly without any rush. It made Michael almost jump out his chair in suspense.

“Come on, Valenti, they’re clean now!” he growled.

“A little impatient, Guerin?” Kyle grinned at his restless friend. And to tease him even more, he strolled slowly to a covered up vehicle.

“Ready?”

Michael clenched his teeth at Kyle’s teasing. Max grinned beside him, his hands in his pockets amused at Kyle and Michael’s interaction.

“Tada!” With one wide arm gesture, Kyle removed the cover, exposing a bright coloured VW van. A peace symbol still painted on the hood in front.

The sight of the hippie looking car imposed silence upon everybody. And before Michael could even mutter “What the fuck!” Max bent over in laughter, shaking his head.

A dazed Kyle looked at his friends. He really didn’t understand what was funny. He had hoped they would react as eagerly as he had after finding the car.

“What’s wrong? It’s gonna be great once it’s finished. The van is big enough to install one of those special turnout chairs. I can also install a lift on the roof that can pick up your chair and automatically stow it away.”

“And how much will it cost me?” Michael asked doubtfully.

A smile appeared on Kyle’s face. He knew he could convince Michael if he just picked out the right words. “That’s the beauty of it. The van was a bargain-”

And to Max’s amusement he heard Michael snort. “Why am I not surprised?”

But Kyle carried on undaunted. “I’m gonna try to buy the spare parts second hand. It’s gonna be a challenge but I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Adjusting it, changing everything,-”

“Beginning with the colour?”

“You don’t like the colour?” Kyle demanded as if he was offended. “Well, too bad ‘cause I’m changing it anyway.”

The look on Michael’s face was hilarious.

“Nice one, Kyle!” Max chuckled before he high-fived with Kyle.

“Ha, ha, aren’t we funny?”

“Jeez, Guerin, lost your sense of humour? Come on man, did you honestly think I would keep the car in those hideous colours? You know I’m more a sport car type of man: aerodynamic, powerful, masculine. Unless your accident has made your good taste vanish, I remember you liked the same things in a car as I do.”

Michael nodded.

Kyle waved him closer by. “Well then, come and take a look. You have to look beyond the ugly thing you see here. Let me show you all the details. It’s going to turn in one hell of a car.”

While Michael and Kyle circled round the van, pointing to every small part and detail possible, Max stood back. He wasn’t that keen on cars. He was happy enough just to drive them. He began scanning the walls of the garage until he happened upon some posters. Posters of half-naked, sexy woman on them.

“Hey, Valenti, you’ve got some beautiful things hanging here!”

Without looking, Kyle knew what Max was referring too. “Oh, you mean, the collection of the dream girls?”

“Dream girls, huh, like to know what Tess things ‘bout that.” Max joked.

Kyle took a cloth to wipe away the dirt of his hands, once again, and came closer.

“Don’t give me that, Evans, a guy has to dream of something aside what he’s got in reality. And the reality can be incredible good but a guy can still set his mind on a beautiful unreachable babe. Just for the fun of it. So everybody in the garage named the chick they’d like to screw in their dreams and we hung her picture on the wall. So, that’s our collection dream girls.”

He looked daring at Max. “So, come on, Evans, you’re a normal guy. So I thought. Who’s your dream date?”

And without thinking Max blurted out “Julia Stiles” and then he panicked. “But don’t you dare telling Liz, Valenti.”

“Hey, no worries!” he said while holding up his hands in defence.

“Guerin?”

“Maria.” Michael didn’t even blink when he gave a spontaneous answer to Kyle’s question.

Kyle frowned. “As in Sharapova? That blond tennis thing?”

“No, as in DeLuca.” Michael blurted out.

“Why in heaven’s name did you ditch her then?” he asked as blunt as he could be.

“Kyle!”

But to the surprise of both of them, Michael immediately came to Kyle’s defence. “Let him be, Max. He has the same great sense of subtleness as I have. An honest one. And I really don’t mind. Besides, he’s right, you know.”

It was the first time he would talk about Maria with anyone. Something deep inside of him, wanted them to understand. Wanted to let them see why he had given up the love of his life.

But he was still Michael Guerin. The guy who never spoke about these things stored up inside of him. He couldn’t change who he was. He turned his wheel chair away with one hand, creating a boundary between him and them.

And after a moment of silence, he started to talk. “Maria is my dream girl in so many ways. Beautiful, honest, a great sense of humour, big hearted.” He sighed. “She knows me better than anybody. Hell, she’s the only person on this planet who puts up with my bullshit. Every single time. But as much as I love her, I can’t condemn her to a life with a wheel chair. I really can’t.”

Kyle immediately interfered “Nobody deserves a life like that. You neither, Guerin.”

Max nodded. “He’s right, Michael.”

Their serious voices made Michael lift up his head. Kyle took advantage of Michael’s attention and took a seat nearby on the hood of a car before he started to explain.

“It’s a lot like love, you know. Nobody on earth deserves to live a loveless life. We aren’t made that way. Every man deserves his girl. ‘Cause without the one you love, you’re just-”

“Incomplete…” Michael muttered inarticulately .

But Kyle didn’t hear him clearly and finished the sentence himself. “A stupid moron.”

“Thanks.”

A grin appeared on Kyle’s face. “You’re welcome. And if you’re ever in need of my excellent wisdom of life, you know where to find me.”

“Can that wisdom of yours paint?” Max asked.

“Yeah…” Kyle answered hesitantly.

“Great! ‘Cause next week, we are all going to Michael’s to do some renovations.”

“Yes, I called my old boss and he’s coming over with the guys to help me adjust the kitchen cabinets. The girls already promised to make the curtains and decorate the place. And Max needs a hand painting the whole thing.”

“You’re on! I’ll be there. Should I bring a pic of Julia for you when I’m there, Max?”

“Don’t you-”

“Gotcha!”
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Teen/Mature) Ch. 15, 7/03/09, pg. 8

Post by Eva »

To tequathisy: You got it. Michael is indeed getting back on track. And it is not forced like before. But step by step, like it is supposed to go.

To chanks_girl: He’s really opening up on his terms, which is a very good thing. And you’re right: the van definitely needs a new painting. No question about it.

To nibbles2: Yeah, they really teased each other mercilessly like real friend do.

To mary mary: That would be something: Big brother Maria DeLuca! Beware! Luckily it’s nothing like that. She just misses Michael. And when a girl misses somebody, she can do crazy stuff. And this is Maria we’re talking about. So the word ‘crazy’ doesn’t even cover it all.

Chapter sixteen

It’s times like these you learn to live again
It’s times like these you give and give again
It’s times like these you learn to love again
It’s times like these time and time again

Foo Fighters – Times Like These

“You rang, milady?”

A stiff looking Alex bowed when he opened the door in Michael’s house. He quickly dropped his pose when Maria’s purse hit him on the arm.

“God, Alex, why can’t you be normal for once?” Maria greeted him, rolling her eyes in the process.

“But this is normal.” He pointed out, as innocent as a new-born baby.

Maria smirked while looking at her friend. “I know. And I like it.” The grin on her face made Alex smile.

While they walked inside, she noticed Alex was wearing a blue overall. Its pockets were completely stuffed with all sorts of wires and tools. She knew he was an approved installer of computer equipment and that kind of stuff but she couldn’t help teasing him.

“And what’s your job today? Getting in everybody’s way?”

“Ha, ha, aren’t we funny? I’m installing all electronics, thank you very much!”

“So you’re wiring the place into one big booby-trap?” Maria joked.

Alex nodded. He could tell she was playing around. “You bet! And while I’m busy I’m also installing a surround music system in the living room, and some cables for television, internet and telephone. Am I a great or what?”

“The best!”

“Hi, Maria.”

Several voices welcomed her when she stepped inside the living room. Max, Liz and Isabel were already at work. Max was preparing the material to paint the hall in a warm colour of ochre yellow. Liz and Isabel were stitching the matching curtains.
Kyle and Tess were late as usual.

Maria greeted them all in return. She was about to ask where Michael was, when she heard his wheel chair riding through the kitchen. The next moment he appeared in the doorway.

“Good morning Michael!

“Hi, Pixie!”

The teasing response made her lift her head in surprise. The look on her face was priceless. As if she couldn’t believe, he had just said that. “Yes! We’re back on track,” she thought.

Maria couldn’t even remember the last time he had teased her like that. It gave her hope, thinking about the fun moments they had shared in the past. As friends. Best friends.

So all the joy she felt radiated from her body when she smiled back at him. “I’m here to work, boss. Where do you want this slave?”

“Follow me,” he said as he winked her.

“Follow the leader, leader,…” she sang inarticulately while she walked along with him. To the amusement of her friends it wasn’t exactly walking. It was a cross-over between walking, dancing and whirling.

Maria was so busy entertaining herself and the others that she didn’t pay attention. So when she entered the kitchen, she bumped right into Michael’s wheel chair.

“Oops.”

The innocent look on her face made the people in the kitchen smirk. Her head popped up when she heard different voices. To her surprise she was not alone with Michael. In the corner of the room she saw two, in red overall dressed, men. At first look she could see that they were busy installing the kitchen cabinets.

“Maria, I like to introduce you to my former boss, Phil and that’s his son Nick. Guys, this is Maria.”

Phil immediately stepped forward to shake Maria’s hand. “Hello, Maria, it’s nice to meet you. We heard a lot about you.”

“You did, did you?” she glanced curiously towards Michael.

“You’re the long time friend from high school, aren’t you?” Nick added.

Maria just nodded. Speechless by the fact Michael had mentioned her to his boss and co-workers.

But before she could explore it furthermore, Phil continued the conversation. “So, you’re here to help out too. What’s your speciality? The decorations?”

And while Maria nodded her head eagerly, Michael roared “Hell, no!”

“I thought you liked my good taste in things?” Maria said, offended.

“Yeah, but-”

Ignoring the others, she grabbed him by his collar. “Look here, mister, if I remember correctly, you wanted me for my good taste, now you’re going to let me use it.”

“But you’re going to turn my dream house in something ultra feminine with girlie colours and other trash.”

The desperate look on his face made her smile. Though she didn’t want to cave in, she wanted to please him too. So she tried to moderate his and her own demands.

“You know what, let me rearrange the bedrooms. Nobody ever comes over there. And if you like it, I get free hand on the final decorations in the living room. Deal?”

Thinking he could easily hang up a poster of Metallica if the result was disappointing, Michael gave in. But not before groaning loudly to let her see he wasn’t that pleased with the way she was taking over. “Ok, smarty-pants, you can have it your way.”

“Yes! I knew it! And I can tell you this already! I will completely astonish you!” And with those words she hugged him quickly and took off in the direction of the bedrooms. Before he had the opportunity to change his mind or impose any restrictions.

“Of that I’m sure,” he muttered to the amusement of his ex-colleagues.

Three hours later Michael started wandering through his own home to examine all the changes his friends had made.

In the living room he found Max and Liz making out. The both jumped up when he entered but when Max recognized his best friend, he relaxed and embraced Liz again.

“Hey, you two love birds, how’s everything going?” Michael asked.

“Good, good,” Max grinned. “Just taking a break.”

Michael looked around. The wiring of the living room was done and the grooves were almost completely covered again.

“Whoa, you guys certainly got a lot done! By the way, where are Izzy and Alex?”

“She and Alex went shopping. Alex was missing some pieces he needed to finish it up and…” Max looked desperately to Liz to help him out. Obviously trying to hide something.

So Liz jumped in. “And Isabel needed another colour of cloth to make some more drapes.”

“Yeah, pink one. For your bedroom.” Max added trying not look at Liz.

His wife was standing behind Michael’s wheel chair almost completely bent over as she was having a hard job trying not to giggle out loud. She had one hand covering her mouth and her whole body shook from keeping her laughter inside.

“Pink? For my bedroom?” Michael growled. “Have they completely lost it?”

And with those words Michael angrily rolled towards the bedrooms.

The second he left the room, Liz and Max couldn’t stop themselves and laughed out loud.

But before Michael could reach his bedroom to vent his thoughts, he busted Maria who was trying to force one of his bedroom doors open.

“Hey,” he roared, “what the fuck you think you’re doing there?”

Not even looking at him, Maria continued her effort. Not aware that she was doing anything wrong, she just replied. “I can’t open this door.”

“Did it ever cross your mind that you’re not supposed to get it open.”

That answer got her attention. “Why not?” She blurted out, not understanding why he was making problems about a simple door.

“’Cause.”

“Michael?” She lifted an eyebrow.

He definitely could see she wasn’t going to drop the question until he gave a sufficient answer. Good God, she was the most stubborn person he had ever met.

“Paintings.” He eventually barked out. “I paint in that room. So just stay the hell out of it.”

“Oh.”

“And no, you can’t see them.”

“Ok.”

Now it was Michael’s turn to lift his eyebrows. “Ok. That’s it? You’re not going to push the matter?”

To his surprise, she shook her head. “No, I’ll see them later.” An air of self- confidence shimmered in her answer.

“By the way, Michael, I still have to talk to you ‘bout something. The other day I had a real bright idea, if I say it myself-”

Suddenly Kyle’s voice interrupted their conversation before they both could say what they wanted. “Hey, Guerin, come to look at our work?”

“Our?” Not understanding what the hell Kyle was talking about, Michael forced himself to focus to Kyle.

“Yeah, mine, Tess’s and of course Maria’s too. She’s the one who came up with the basic idea and we helped work it all out.”

Michael cursed inarticulately while thinking “Oh, boy, what the fuck? What is this? Damn Michael day? First the pink drapes, then Maria who tried to break in my art room and now these three idiots who let themselves into my bedroom!”

Visions of naked playgirls lying on the hood of a red shiny Ferrari came up in his mind. Not that he didn’t like those images. Far from it, but they were good for magazines and things like that. You could joke about them with your friends. But there was no way those three morons were going to paint his room in some kind of porno cinema with pink curtains to finish the horror up.

Thinking about every disaster possible and on the verge of exploding, he rolled himself in his bedroom.

The view stunned him though. Completely. Of all the things he could’ve never imagined this one.

“My God!” he stammered.

Maria snickered to Kyle and Tess. “I said he would like it, didn’t I?”

Unable to speak, Michael just nodded. Without taking his eyes of the room in front of him.

To his surprise, his room was painted in three different colours of grey. From a soft grey shade to some details in dark grey. They had kept everything simple, using the same colours over again. With the exception of one detail: a king-size drawing of the Metallica star brightly painted in red above his bed!

“The red of the star will be reflected in the colours of your sheets. Isabel is going to make them, especially for you.” Maria whispered in his ears.

Kyle and Tess laughed out loud at the astonishment written all over Michael’s face.

“Loose your tongue, Guerin?”

“Didn’t know you could draw.” Of all the things he could’ve said, that one was the first to pop out.

Maria grinned now. “Me neither. Just projected the whole thing on the wall and the rest was piece of cake.”

“It’s freakin’ beautiful!” Michael scratched his eyebrow before proceeding. “Never thought I would say it though, but thank you, guys!”
Last edited by Eva on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M) Ch. 16, 7/10/09, pg. 9 (AN 7/17)

Post by Eva »

To chanks_girl: Michael rushed it all a bit when he came home. Now, he’s taking his time (indeed, on his terms). So it’s normal he feels better and more himself. And that feeling + the fact that his friends still treat him like before the accident, will help him to find some peace. And hopefully a future too.

To tequathisy: You bet! Maria can do what even she wants now! Michael promised to give her free hand and for him a promise is a promise.
And you’re right. He sure progressed a lot the last couple of months. It’s like I said to Laila (chanks_girl): when he got home, he wanted things too soon too fast. And now he’s getting his life back on the road. But step by step and with the help of his friends this time.

To mary mary: His friends are really priceless. And I think it’s the first time in his life, he actually values that.

Author’s note: The festival mentioned in the story is completely fictive. It doesn’t exist but it’s based on Rock Werchter, a well-known Belgian Rock Festival. You can check it out here: http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/home/

Chapter seventeen

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Muse – Feeling good

“So Michael, what do you think of your ‘ultra feminine pink’ bedroom?” Max teased when he walked inside, followed by a smiling Liz.

“That I’m fucking relieved you didn’t touch an inch of it.” Michael joked.

They all laughed at Michael’s dry comment. And that’s how Isabel found her friends when she got back.

“Hey, what’s up?” she asked while leaning nonchalantly against the doorway.

Alex’s head popped around the corner right behind her. “Whoa! Nice job! Great room!”

Max looked at his sister and with the smile still on his face he asked her if she brought the pink fabric with her.

Confused Isabel looked at him. But when she saw she wouldn’t get any answer for him, she shifted her attention to Michael.

“Pink fabric? Did you really want me to buy pink fabric?”

She could honestly not believe that was a colour Michael would pick out himself. Not voluntarily at least.

Michael smirked. “Don’t worry about it, Iz. They’re making fun of me.”

“And we did a great job doing it! He was on the verge of loosing it. He went almost completely nuts.”

A smile broke out on Michael’s face. “Yeah, I did, didn’t I?”

His honest remark made them all burst in laughter again. When they had calmed down, it was Kyle who got everybody’s attention. “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting hungry.”

Tess smiled at her boyfriend, rubbing his belly at the same time. “Is your stomach protesting again?”

And before Kyle could even respond to that question, his stomach rumbled loudly. Not even slightly embarrassed he proudly announced “It’s not only protesting but if the beast inside isn’t fed soon, it’s going to attack too!”

“Lucky us, I brought food for everybody!” Isabel laughed, holding a big picnic basket in the air.

Everybody erupted at the same moment.

“Fantastic!”

“Let’s fall upon the food!”

“Say thanks to Mrs. Evans!”

Hearing the last comment, Isabel looked directly to Michael.

“How did you know she made the food?”

“Eh… Don’t get me wrong but…” Michael tried to deliver his answer as polite as he could. But he had a hard time hiding his dislike at the thought of Isabel’s cooking.

Eventually it was Max who saved him. “But we all know that you aren’t a princess in the kitchen. Actually, when I think about it, I don’t think you ever used any equipment in our kitchen. Or maybe just the microwave to heat something mom had already cooked.”

Isabel glared at her brother wickedly. “You’re not very hungry, are you Max? ‘Cause as I see it; I’ve got the food and you can nibble on a wooden stick for all I care.”

“Aw,” Max grinned, “I surrender!”

Kyle, who got impatient by the bantering between the two siblings, interrupted them bluntly. “Could you both just put a stick in it? I’m dying here and I’m not the only one who’s hungry.”

Maria nodded enthusiastically. “Let’s break in Michael’s backyard!”

And several minutes later Michael’s small lawn was covered with several blankets just like a colourful patchwork quilt. Together with Michael’s former co-workers, they were all seated in one big cosy circle. Even Michael left his wheel chair to join his friends.

In the middle of them they had gathered all the food so they could share it together. The animated bunch of friends had a great time together.

Kyle didn’t loose much time to grab everything he could lay his hands on. The only things that came out of his mouth were things like “Can you pass me that bowl?” or “That looks delicious, Tess, can I try?”

Alex, on the other hand, was busier with juggling apples in the air then eating. Isabel let him be though. She knew her boyfriend inside out and took care of him. And of his plate. Assuring him he had something left to eat after he entertained everybody.

In the mean time Isabel jabbered with Maria and Liz while Max had a conversation with Phil and Nick.

Though he had a great time seeing his friends enjoying themselves, Michael didn’t participate. He just laid back and watched them from a distance. He felt great. The situation felt great. Normal. Something he hadn’t experienced in a very long time.

Unaware, a smile appeared on his face.

Max noticed his smiling friend and was amazed by the change. The smile lit up Michael’s entire face. His eyes shone, clearly showing the joy and pleasure he was feeling.
It did him good to see his best friend getting his life back on track on his own terms - step by step.

In her turn, Isabel observed Max and Michael. Aside from Alex, they were the only ones who took such a big part of her heart.

“We should do this a lot more,” She eventually said out loud. “The picnic, the blankets on the ground, you guys having fun all the time, and though you can’t hear the music here, it all reminds me of…”

“The festival!” they all blurted out.

“Yeah.” Isabel said, surprised that everybody had thought about the same thing.

“We all had a great time that day.” Michael remembered. “Besides, Maria and I already talked about repeating the whole thing.”

Maria nodded assent. “Yeah, we want to go with everybody.”

Kyle immediately got enthusiast. “First a road trip, camping in the great outdoors, a load of rock music and a lot of booze!” He turned to Tess. “Can we leave now?”

They all laughed, seeing his eager face.

“Oh, baby,” Tess grabbed his face between her palms, “We’re really going to go but we need a plan, you know.”

Maria piped up. “That’s something for our Liz! Arranging everything, when we depart, where we’re going to stop for a break, what kind of food we need on our trip,-”

“Aren’t you forgetting something? Like the most important thing?” Alex interrupted.

His question got everybody’s attention. All eyes were locked on him. “The festival? Which one are we going to seek out? Something with poppy music for the girls or something alternative or a mix of all styles?”

“Alternative.”

“Hip Hop”

“No, Metal rocks!”

“So, a mix! Definitely!” Alex scratched his head. They could almost hear him think out loud.

“Well, it’s almost May now. We have to wait until July ‘cause Isabel and Maria teach. So I think the most interesting in music and most reachable in a couple of days would be the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago. It’s in the beginning of August.”

Michael nodded “Yeah, I heard about that one. In the past they had headliners like The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers,… Like them.”

“Yeah, but I read somewhere that it’s located in the middle of the city. You can’t camp in the middle of Chicago.” Max objected.

Maria immediately clapped her hands. “Goodie, no tent! Well hello hotel, with your great bed and lovely bathroom!”

Kyle and Michael both pulled faces when they heard Maria’s words.

“No way! That’s not the same thing! It has to be with the tent.” Michael complained.

Kyle agreed enthusiastically.

“Ok. Got your point.” Alex responded. And again he scratched his head while thinking deeply.

It was Tess though, who brought the solution. “Why don’t we go to the exact same thing as then?”

“Rock Essex in California?” Alex demanded.

Tess nodded. “Yes! It was located in the middle of nowhere and had a large camping area. It was a two day drive. And if I recall it well, the music rocked big time.”

“Yeah!” sounded from different sides.

“And if I’m correct, I think it is set in the beginning of July. Perfect timing for Isabel and Maria.” Michael added.

“So, it’s decided!” Max cut the knot.

“Hey, Kyle, would it be possible to finish the van in that time? Or at least get it driving again?” Michael asked.

Kyle nodded assuring. “No problem! We’ll make it work.”

And while the others were planning, Isabel began to clear the table. Or the blankets in this case. Her action set the others going and together they cleaned the garden up.

One by one they trudged inside to get back to work until only Michael and Maria remained. While Michael struggled to get himself back in his chair, Maria deliberately stayed with him.

She still wanted to talk to him about her great idea. And now with the others away, she found her opportunity.

“Michael,” she began, “Do you remember what we talked about when I first came to the hospital?”

Her serious tone got his attention. Slowly he looked her, curious about the fact she brought up one of their lesser moments and even more anxious to know what direction she was heading.

“We talked about a lot of things. Hell, we even yelled at each other.”

“Well, back then you said that you didn’t know-”

But she didn’t get the chance to explore her idea more before she could finish her sentence, they were interrupted by Nick.

“Hey, Michael, my dad wants to know where you want to have your sockets in the kitchen.”

“Ok. I’m coming!”

Then he turned to Maria. “Is it ok if we do this another time?”

She waved him away. “Yeah, no problem.”
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Mature) Ch. 17, 7/24/09, pg. 9

Post by Eva »

To sarammlover: Yeah, Michael is adjusting very well, isn’t he? And I can promise you this already: you’re about to find out what Maria’s plan is. It’s super good and incredible perfect, or at least she thinks it is.

To mary mary: Everything always returns and while the story is slowly moving to an end, it’s a bit normal that all lose ends are getting connected sooner or later.

Chapter eighteen

And if you need a good reason,
I'll give you one
Oh no, seems the best is yet to come

Novastar – The best it yet to come

“Come on, Michael, just open the door.”

Impatiently, Maria peered through the small window next to Michael’s front door. She cursed herself for returning to his house after working there all day. Instead of standing here in front of a closed door she could’ve been relaxing on her couch at home.

However she had wanted to tell Michael something important. Something private. She had tried to talk to him all day, but every single time she had started, somebody had interupted the conversation. And afterwards, when everybody had gone home after a hard day of labour, Michael had left his house too. He had gone to the Evans with Isabel and Alex.

And because she had been tired and hungry, she too had left the place without trying to talk to Michael again. But after a long shower, nice clean clothes and her dinner, she had wanted to make herself comfortable on the couch. Though she had tried to relax and think about other stuff, her mind had always gone back to Michael and her plans.

The thoughts had gone round and round in her head. And she had known too well, she wouldn’t get it out of her system until she spoke with Michal. So finally, after an hour brooding about it, she had gotten up off her cosy sofa.

She had grabbed her car keys and had left on a quest to find Michael.

And it really had become a quest. Her first stop had been the home of the Evans family. But Isabel had shaken her head after she had opened the front door. Apparently Maria had missed Michael by seconds.

Afterwards she had checked Max and Liz’s place, the CrashDown and the basketball court. To end up at the door step of his new house.

But the fact that Michael didn’t open his door, got her all worked up because she knew he was in. Not because she could feel his presence or something as stupid as that. She could definitely hear music blaring loudly through the house.

“Come on, Guerin!” she hissed for the last time before hitting his front door out of plain frustration.

To her surprise the door flew open at her sudden outburst. Michael must have forgotten to lick the door when he got home.

Maria didn’t hesitate for a minute and stepped inside.

“Michael?” she yelled several times, trying to indicate her presence.

But there was still no reaction to her call. She could hear the music very clearly now. It was some hard rock band she didn’t recognize. Definitely not Metallica, of that she was sure.

The music led her to the hallway towards the bedrooms. The forbidden room. Michael was in his art room!

Now Maria could do two things. She could leave his house without peeking into Michael’s art room and talk to him sometime later. Or she could take her chances and go for it.
But because she knew herself well, there was actually only one possibility left; entering the forbidden room! Her curiosity wouldn’t survive her leaving.

So, unnoticed by Michael she snuck inside.

What she saw staggered her.

Colours and emotions emerged from several paintings. She recognized fragments of his wheel chair, basketball games and most of all fragments of herself.

Michael still didn’t notice her. With his back to the door, and the music pounding through the room, he was completely focused on the charcoal sketch he was drawing. So she took some time to gaze around until her glance fell on one particular piece.

A painting of a heart made of glass, laying on the floor, shattered in pieces.

It grabbed her by the throat.

“Oh, Michael.”

The escaped words finally drew Michael’s attention.

He cursed out loud when he saw her standing in the middle of his sanctuary. Michael never felt more naked, more stripped to the bottom of his soul, more vulnerable than he did right then. And he hated it.

These were his paintings, his way of expressing his feelings, his stuff. And he wasn’t big on sharing them. With anybody. Ever. Or at least, not at this moment.

So he did the first thing that came in his mind. He tossed the piece of charcoal started wheeling to the door, trying to escape the horror he felt inside.

Maria had seen his whole demeanour changing when he had became aware of her presence. A visible relaxed Michael had immediately stiffened in an extremely tense one. Just before he tried to evade her, she had seen his feelings shimmering in his brown eyes.

She could only think about the fact he had looked like a skittish deer captured in the headlights of a car.

And it was her fault.

So she did the only thing she could think of and blocked his way out.

“Let me through.” He bellowed.

"Don’t you even think about leaving.” She roared back.

Once he saw he couldn’t pass her, Michael started to shift back. Maria’s reaction was quick though. With one pull she grabbed his chair and stopped him right in his tracks.

“Michael, look at me. Michael." she pleaded softly, "Please."

Knowing he couldn’t escape, Michael reluctantly locked his eyes with hers.

“Don’t hide. Not from me.” She gestured at the room. “I realise nobody was supposed to see this. I don’t have to look at it closely to know this room harbours everything you couldn’t say with words. The few paintings I saw really speak for themselves.”

His stone wall didn’t falter. It was as if her words didn’t reach him. It didn’t stop her though. She knew she had to get through.

“I’m really, really sorry. I never had the intention to barge in like this. I’m not going to say I wasn’t curious ‘cause that would be a big fat lie. But I never wanted to offend you either.”

Maria could feel his tension lessen but she knew he was still on guard.

“I didn’t come to reveal your secrets. As a matter of fact I rang your door bell and screamed like a lunatic. It’s not my fault you didn’t hear me. Or that your door was open, for that matter.” She tilted her head the side. “When I think about it, anybody could have come in. Be happy it was just me.”

“Ha, nice!” Michael laughed sarcastically. “This morning you literally said you would see my paintings later. I should’ve known you were up to no good.”

“What?” Maria shrieked.

“You heard me loud and clear, miss nosey.” He responded bluntly.

His anger pushed her buttons.

“If you really want to know: I came to help you, you bone head! But I should’ve kicked your ass instead.”

Furious, she pushed him away, turned on her heal, trying to leave as fast as possible.

“Maria?”

The tired tone in his voice made her freeze. She didn’t turn around though.

“Yeah?”

Michael could really hear her hesitation. Frustrated he ran his hand through his hair. “Damn!” he thought. Although he could feel himself almost explode because somebody had dared to enter his place, he also knew Maria. He could say a lot of things about her but liar wasn’t one of them. She always was very honest; in everything. That’s why he liked her so much.

So when she had gotten enraged by his accusations, he knew she had been speaking the truth. That she hadn’t come on false pretences to sneak upon him and his paintings.

“Sorry.”

Maria could hear it was tough for him to apologize to her. And though she knew she had stepped over some boundaries too, she didn’t want to let him of the hook.

“For what?”

“Look, I know you didn’t intend to storm in here. Not intentionally that is.”

He moved a little closer, almost touching her in the process.

“I planned on showing it to you. Someday. When I was ready.”

Softly she turned around and brushed his hair. Just for a minute.

“I know. That was what I was referring to this morning. I’m sorry too. I didn’t lie. I came to talk, not to nose around. But my curiosity just took over when you didn’t answer my calls.” Maria rambled on. “I shouldn’t have entered. But it’s too late to change that now, so I’ll be going. We’ll see-”

“Come on.” With those words Michael silenced her before he took her hand to lead her to his future bedroom.

Confused Maria looked towards her friend. “Michael, what are we doing here?”

“Talking.” He pointed at her. “I know you. You keep it all bottled up if I don’t let you have your say. You’ll probably burst and it will hit me right in the face. I’m not taking that risk. So, sit down and start talking. I’ll listen. Hell, it isn’t that I have something else to do anyway.”

After she got seated on a crate, Maria took a deep breath. “Michael? You wanted to build a new life, right?”

Michael sat on the fence when he answered hesitating. “Yeah?” Of all the things she could discuss, he had never imagined this one.

“Do you already have an idea what you want to do?”

“Come on, Maria, where are you taking this? Just say what’s on your mind.”

“Well, I saw you the other day. On the basketbal court. You were helping those kids with their wooden thingy.”

She looked at him to see if he knew what she was talking about, by the look of astonishment on his face, Maria knew he did so she continued. “It gave me an idea. A bright idea if you ask me. My school is looking for a new wood shop teacher. You have all the knowledge in your head and hands, Michael. And you’re great with young people. And-”

He interrupted her. “Have you lost it completely? I hated school. With every fibre of my being. The system sucked big time and the teachers even more. Most of them were complete losers who didn’t care.”

“Then you’ll know from your own experience how to do it better.”

Maria inhaled deeply before she tried again. “Look, I know it sounds nuts at the moment. But please, Michael, take some time to think about it. And I mean really think about it. You would do a great job at it. You connect with those kids. They listen. And though you’re the most impatient guy I know, you somehow find the calmness to work with them. To explain them how things work. To listen to them.”

Maria took a moment to let the idea sink. She pulled back a curl of hair behind her ear.

With a puzzled face Michael observed her. “Why are you doing this, Maria? Why do you care?”

Deep in side of him he knew the answer though. He just wanted to hear it out loud.

“Don’t you get it?” she asked.

Michael didn’t answer her.

“I never stopped loving you, Michael. Ever. But I’m well aware you only want me when you’ve got your life back in order. And that’s your right. I understand that. But you can’t expect me to stay on the side-line. You can’t expect that I won’t try to give things a push. Look, just consider it. And if you want to go for it, you can contact the principal.”

And with those words she shoved a bunch of papers into his hands.

“This will all depend on you. I just gave the first push. The rest, if you want it, is up to you, Michael.”

With that Maria gave him a friendly kiss on the cheek and turned around.

“See you later.”

She left him baffled with the paperwork on his lap.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Mature) Ch. 18, 7/31/09, pg. 10

Post by Eva »

To sarammlover: Maria knows Michael inside out. She did something right then, if you like her idea too!

To nibbles2: The minute they saw he was the same Michael they had known for years, they just didn’t hesitate. There were no questions asked. He was their Michael Guerin. I think that’s the best thing of having real friends.

To tequatishy: Thanks! You like to see him in love again, huh? Me too… :D We’ll just have to wait and see

Author's note: Today's update gave me a very hard time. My laptop refused to work with me. So I had to help myself with our very old (and not so good working) computer. It has a very old version of windows on it too... So if something would go wrong with transfering the text: sorry! I will check it out on Tuesday when I've got the laptop back.

Chapter nineteen

I feel so alive
For the very first time
And I think I can fly

P.O.D. - Alive

First weekend of August

They heard the sound of the car horn hoot long before they saw the dark grey car turning into the street. A sort of luggage box in the same stylish grey was secured on the hood. Music blared loudly through the open car windows.

Max was the only one who had seen the car in its previous state and recognized the completely remodelled old Volkswagen van immediately.

“Whoa, Kyle did a great job with that thing,” He muttered out loud, admiring the car.

Liz directed her gaze at her husband and then back to the car. “Is that Kyle?”

“Or Michael.” Max answered while he continued staring at the vehicle.

“Or both.” Alex added when he saw Kyle jumping out of the car after Michael had parked it in front of the CrashDown.

With a push on the button Michael lowered his wheel chair out of the stowing area on the rook and took a seat in it when it was on the ground. All this time his friends looked at him in awe.

Only Max, who had known the plan from the beginning, moved towards the car, complimenting Kyle on the results.

“You drive!” Isabel finally blurted out.

Her words triggered the others to come closer and bombad Kyle and Michael with a hundred and one questions.

‘Hey, hey, cut it out, guys!” Michael tried to silence them.

Then he turned his attention to Isabel and confirmed her question before giving more information. “With the help of Max and Kyle I passed a special exam and a couple of days ago I’ve got my driver’s licence back. And this beauty-” He tapped on the driver’s door. “This beauty is completely Kyle’s work. A real master piece, if you ask me.”

Kyle took over. “Yeah, and this almost thirty- year old, completely tuned and remodelled, Pearl will take us to the festival.”

His words made them all cheer in and excitment.

While everybody was looking over the van, Michael noticed an unusually quiet Maria standing next to him.

“Are you so surprised too?” he asked her.

“No,” she replied, her answer stunning him. “I once said you could do whatever you put your mind to. And I meant it. So, when you talked about getting your driver’s license back, I just knew you would succeed. But I never expected Kyle would create one hell of car like this one!”

Michael couldn’t contain his smile. “You should’ve seen it before though. It was incredibly hilarious and ugly.” He gestured as he continued. “The van was painted in an awful yellow and green. With a purple peace symbol on the hood and freakin’ flowers on the side parts. A car your mom-”

“Would’ve adored.” Maria finished laughing and she nodded. “Completely hilarious indeed.”

“Hey Michael, are you the only one who can drive this thing?”

Michael turned rapidly towards Isabel. “No, both Kyle and I can drive it.”

He looked at Alex who was eagerly gazing at every small detail on the steering wheel. “And, no, Whitman. Don’t you even think about laying one finger on this beauty. I want to keep it in one piece, thank you very much.”

Michael’s defensive attitude and Alex’s slightly offended face made everybody chuckle. Michael had always been very concerned and protective about his vehicles in the past not even Max had been allowed to drive them so it was no wonder he acted the same way with this car.

“Speaking of driving; I think we should start going if we want to get in Essex in two days. Without rushing us, that is,” Max warned after he looking at his watch.

They all immediately started packing the van. Between them the van was ready to go in no time.

It didn’t take them long to hit the road. Michael and Max in the front seats, behind them Kyle, Tess and Liz and Alex, Isabel and Maria in the back seats. The van was so loaded that not another thing could have been squeezed in.

Liz stuck her head between the front seats, so she could have the attention of both Max and Michael.

“If you take that turn, Michael,” she pointed. “We can sleep in the small cosy motel I saw on internet. It’s one with ground floor rooms only, so it’s easy to access them with the wheel chair. And then we don’t have to erect that big tent this night.”

Under Liz’s guidance, Michael drove to the motel. After fifteen minutes he was glad he could finally park the car. It had been a long day.

He wasn’t even parked properly before everybody tried to escape the van. In just a couple of minutes they all stood around the car on the parking lot relieved to have escaped the confines of the van after being seated inside for a couple of hours. Michael too, stretched himself out while his wheel chair got lowered down.

“God, I think I’m dog-tired.” He moaned while taking a seat in his chair.

Maria, who was standing the closest to him, could see that it took him more time than usual to lift himself in it. Impulsivly she grabbed the handles and started pushing him inside.

“You drove us all the way up here. Now it’s my turn to steer it.” She said before he could protest.

To everybody’s surprise, Michael didn’t complain. He closed his eyes, visible relaxed and muttered “Mmm, I’m in heaven.” while he let himself be pushed along for the first time since he came out the rehabilition center.

Just as they entered the reception, Liz called them to her. “Before I register, how many rooms should I get? Who’s going to sleep with who?”

Simultaneously they all shouted out their answer.

“I sleep with Kyle” (Tess)

“Count one for me and Isabel” (Alex)

“With you of course.” (Max)

After they had answered, they looked at Maria and Michael.

Max cleared his throat. “Uh, if you guys don’t mind sharing a room?”

Without deliberating, Maria shook her head.

Michael, who didn’t see Maria’s reaction, agreed by blurting out “Hell, I’m so tired, I could even sleep with Valenti snoring next to me.”

“You really didn’t mind sharing this room, did you?” Maria asked Michael when they were entering their room.

“Why would I? We did it a lot when we were younger.” he shrugged.

“That’s the operative word, younger. We were only friends then. Now we are two people who loved each other, broke up and are trying to be friends again.” Maria thought but didn’t dare to speak out loud.

She had agreed rather impulsively, back at the reception. It made the most sense to take a room with Michael. In this way all their friends could sleep with their partners. But now she was actually standing in one room with him, looking at the small double bed, she felt a bit uncomfortable.

“Do you mind?” he asked in return.

Though she hesitated, Maria did the only thing she could think of and shrugged her shoulders too.

It was just then that Michael noticed the small bed too. His eyes grew wide.

“Fuck!” he muttered. “You wanna change? I can ask Isabel to trade, if you want too.”

She shook her head. “No, let them enjoy their night together. We’re both adults. We can do this”

The result was an awkward sleeping ritual they would both remember for years to come.

Trying not to glimpse at her baby doll and his boxers, they both sneaked quickly under the covers. Lying next to each other without touching. Every second aware of the other.
After hours of just lying awake in bed, they had eventually fallen asleep.

In the morning Michael woke first; feeling the very tempting body of Maria plastered next to his, her arm protectively round his chest.

His heart raced at a hundred beats per second. “God, she really is beautiful.” Michael had to resist his instinct to touch her or kiss her.

So he did the only thing possible. Gentle and slowly Michael removed her arm off his chest. Luckily for him the angels were with him. Of course, the fact Maria was a heavy sleeper was a great help too. So without wakening her, he could manoeuvre himself quietly of the bed and into his chair.

After a morning travelling Kyle drove the van into a picnic area to have a noon break. By a miracle they stumbled onto a cosy spot where a small creek ran next to the picnic tables. The water streamed clear and bright.

“Hey guys, you can see the tiny little fish swimming in it.” Tess yelled.

“Yeah, they would be dead if they stopped swimming.” was Alex’s dry remark. He received an icy look in return.

“When my dad and I went camping we held competitions to see who could catch the most fish. I can proudly say I won most often. It’s really a piece of cake to catch those little ones.”

“Easy?” Liz lifted her eyebrows and looked doubtfully at the squirming school of fish.

“Well, it sounds easy. Even Kyle can do it…” Max bluffed.

Alex glanced quickly at the water. “Well, it can’t be that hard, right?”

The girls gazed at each other, hearing the daring statement of the guys. They all crossed their arms and looked with disregard at their men. With a twinkle in her eye, it was Maria who vocalised what crossed all of their minds. “You’re all a bunch of show-offs. The question is, can you put your money where your mouth is?”

The other girls and even Michael chuckled.

“I’ll show you.” And with those words Kyle took off his shirt and jumped into the shallow creek.

Within minutes Max and Alex joined him. But none of them could catch a thing - To their regret and the great amusement of the others.

The sight of his soaked friends was too good to forgo the chance of teasing them. So Michael provoked them even more. “Hey you look like a bunch of water babies. Even I could do better than that sorry attempt of yours.”

“Well, Guerin, what are you waiting for? We’ll wring out your chair afterwards.” Kyle’s mocking voice tried to persuade Michael.

“Nah, I’m smarter than you guys. If I can choose between looking like a drowned cat or sitting here like a Pasha surrounded by these lovely girls who are spoiling me rotten, I know what to take.”

And to reinforce his words even more, Michael leaned a little closer to Isabel while Liz filled his cup for the second time.

The look on the boys’ faces was hilarious. The tone of their road trip was set.
Last edited by Eva on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eva
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Incomplete (AU, CC, M/M, Mature) Ch. 19, 8/7/09, pg. 10

Post by Eva »

To tequatishy: Yes, it is! He’s finally getting less defensive in his wheel chair. Less negative too. And with that attitude he sees that sometimes there are advantages too.

To sarammlover: It’s going to be a great weekend! You can be sure of that!

To mary mary: A name for the van… That has to be a job for Maria. Or maybe you have an idea?

To nibbles2: Who wouldn’t enjoy the attention of the other sex?

Author's note: Next week I’m not in town. Hell, I won’t even be in my own country. I’m taking a well earned break and I’m going away on holiday. Due to that fact, there will be no update next Friday. So, see you later everyone!

Chapter twenty

On a platform I'm gonna stand and say
That I'm nothing on my own
And I love you, please come home

Coldplay – A message

Later that day the gang arrived at the festival. They joined forces and pitched the tent under the watchful eye of Michael who appointed himself foreman and ordered everybody around.

“Hey Alex, you have to match that pole with that one. No, no, the other way around… And now, you take-”

Everybody looked up when Michael suddenly stopped ordering them around. It wasn’t hard to see what had plugged his big mouth. To their amusement, a frustrated looking Alex was marching towards Michael, brandishing a tent pole.

Michael smirked at him, an innocent look on his face. “Is there a problem, Whitman?”

“Not yet. But if you keep ordering me around like that, you could have a big one. Me!” And to everyone’s surprise, Michael relinquished command and Alex took charge.

“So this is what will happen; we’ll finish up the tent and in the mean time you can grill us some steaks on the barbecue. There’s the barbecue” Alex pointed at the small camping device next to the van. “And in the trunk you’ll find the steaks Liz bought at the last town we stopped in.”

With firm steps he walked back to where they were erecting the tent. The others stared at him in awe when he said “Come one, guys, do you want to sleep in this tent or not? Start moving!”

“I think Isabel has rubbed off on him.” Michael remarked, shaking them all out of their frozen state.

Laughing, everyone restarted with what they were doing and they quickly got all the work done.

They sat around the campfire until late into the night before they, one by one, ended up in their sleeping bags.

“Gooooodmooooorning Essex!” Kyle yelled in his best Robin Williams impression and succeeded in wakening everybody. His gaiety infected everyone, except Maria.

Her morning mood made her growl and moan. After peeking out through barely opened eyes, she turned around, pulled her sleeping bag over her head and kitten-like, curled herself into a ball.

Using only his arms Michael dragged himself a little closer to Maria’s curled up body. Caressing her hair, he whispered in her ear. “Come on, wake up, sleeping beauty!”

“No! Leave me alone!” She moaned, causing him to smirk.

Michael glared devilishly at her. He winked to the others before he attacked her. Tickling her mercilessly as he tried to get her into action. “Come on, sleepy head!”

“No, no, no!” Maria’s groan switched to a shriek in no time. “Michael!”

The kitten turned into a wild cat when she started to struggle back until she ended up rolling over the ground with Michael.

But Michael was a man of great strength so it didn’t take him long to overpower her and to hold her gently but firmly against the ground.

“Do you surrender?” he dared her.

“No way!” she grumbled, not willing to give in.

They both glared into each others eyes, their faces a couple of inches from each other. The whole scene catapulted them both back in time.

Lying on the floor, with her above him, he kept his hold on her. With his other hand he softly tucked an escaped curl of hair behind her ear. Their breath caught and they gazed at each other with wide eyes. Completely astonished by the power of attraction between them.

But instead of kissing each other, like they had done seven months ago, they slowly pulled away - To stare again at one another in shocked surprise.

It was Max’s voice who saved them. “Breakfast is ready! Who’s coming?”

In the mean stream of people, gathered at the entrance of the festival, Michael felt very small. He had really looked forward to coming; he had never felt as ready as he did at this moment.
But seeing the crowd from his low down wheel chair gave his self-confidence a dent. The sight of the festival grass-land, difficult to negotiate in a wheelchair, didn’t help him feel better either.

Searching for the strength to proceed, he grabbed the wheels of his chair, but before he could push himself any further though, his friends stepped in.

“Master Guerin, your servants are here!”

Max and Kyle crossed their arms while holding each other hands and lifted Michael out of his chair forming a human litter to carry Michael around. Alex followed the guys towards the entrance with the wheel chair. As always, Alex couldn’t restrain himself from going crazy with it.

The guy at the entrance, who exchanged the tickets for festival wristbands, looked up when the group arrived.

“Hi guys, welcome to Rock Essex. You do know there is a special entrance for the handicapped, right?”

Michael looked alternatively at Kyle and Max. His eyes twinkled. Kyle and Max read his intentions and smirked, after which they all turned their head to Alex.

“Hey Alex, you have to go that way!”

Alex played along and put his tongue out of his mouth while babbling and rolling his eyes. “Is it that obvious I escaped out of the nut house?”

Even the guard couldn’t suppress a smile.

When they entered the festival site, Max was still shaking his head in laughter.

“God, Alex, you really choose the wrong profession. You should‘ve ended up on a stage as a performer.”

“Nah” Alex shook his head, completely serious now. “My music is a hobby and I like it that way. Though I wouldn’t mind playing here.” He grinned now. “And my clown stuff? Well, that’s exclusively for you guys!”

“If it all right for you, hold it in for another five minutes, will you.” Kyle sighed and pointed his head towards Max. “’Cause if you keep him laughing like that, we will drop this heavy load called Michael.”

Michael looked offended. “Hey, hey, you’re carrying only muscles.”

“More then forty pounds too much, if you ask me.” Kyle quipped dryly at once.

“Hey! I’m a normal guy with a healthy weight!”

“Yeah and I’m no superman!”

While they joked around, they arrived at the spot the girls had chosen on the sit, precisely in the middle of the main stage and the pyramid marquee. So they had a great view on the main stage but they could easily go to the marquee too.

To make it cosy Isabel and Liz were laying blankets on the ground while Maria was unpacking the smuggled drank supply.

“Where do you want to sit down, Michael?” Max asked.

“And please decide fast, will you!” Kyle urges as sweat dripped from his forehead.

Max and Kyle quickly lowered Michael to the ground after he had pointed to the blankets.

“Look, guys, there’s Michael!”

The gang turned their heads in surprise to watch as three young kids joined them and enthusiastically took a seat next to Michael. They bombarded him with their chatter. Michael’s eyes twinkled at their enthusiasm.

“Hi! We just wanted to say hello!”

“Hey, great to see you!”

“Ryan couldn’t come. He’s on vacation with his folks.”

“Which group do you want to see, Michael?”

“Whoa, nice Metallica shirt. Where did you get it?”

“When are we going to see you on the basketball court again?”

Michael grinned. “Well, hello to you all too!”

Pointing to each individual kid, he responded to their cross-fire. “I only want to see Metallica up close but, the rest, I think I’m going to enjoy from here. The T-shirt I bought long time ago, when I was about your age. But I bet they have some nice ones this year too. And what do you say we shoot some hoops next Thursday?”

“Oh! Ok! See you later this weekend!” And like a whirlwind they stood up and ran away leaving Michael’s friends in astonishment.

Michael himself shook his head in laughter. “That was the kids from the playground. I occasionally play basketball with them. Great kids! Just a little impulsive!”

“You don’t say that.” Was Liz’s laconical answer. And with that they all laughed and started their festival weekend.

A couple of hours later Maria returned to their spot on the festival area after seeing an act by herself. Michael was the only one she found though. Apparently the others were mingling around too.

Relaxed, he was lying completely stretched out one of the blankets. His eyes closed, clearly enjoying the moment. Maria hesitated to take a seat next to him. Instead she just stared at him. The view stunned her. He had tossed his Metallica t-shirt aside and his naked chest appealed to her like never before.

“I’m not going to eat you. We both survived a night in a motel together. So I’m pretty sure you’re safe sitting next to me.”

“How did you know it was me?” she asked curious while stretching herself out next to him.

“Your shadow gave you away.” His answer came quickly. Though it wasn’t completely the truth. He had smelled her too. The peach flavour of her shampoo combined with the spicy essence of her oils was so recognizable for him.

Michael gazed at her from the corner of his eyes. Maria was humming a song while tapping along with her foot. God, she looked great!

Time had flown in the last couple of months. He had enjoyed every single minute of it. Alone and together with his friends. And with her too, of course. He really couldn’t imagine life without her. The few months without her because of their fight, had made it clear to him that he had been a stupid prick.

“Cause without the one you love, you’re just -”

“Incomplete.”

“A stupid moron.”

The scene with Kyle replayed in his mind. Over and over again.

He cleared his throat. It was now or never.

“Maria?”

“Mmm.” Maria’s stayed close when she answered him absently.

“Do you remember the present you brought me in rehab?”

“The one I threw at your head?” His question made her sit straight up. Her eyes focused on him.

Michael smirked. “Yeah! That would be the one!”

It made her laugh. “Well, I definitely remember that one. It was a self made mixed CD with a lot of alternative rock songs on it. Some you liked and a lot I liked myself.”

“You know, through the past months, they meant a lot to me,” Michael confessed. “Believe it or not but every song on that CD has carried me along. From then until now.”

“And which song is in your head at the moment?” she asked curiously.

He sang. “On a platform I’m gonna stand and say. I’m nothing on my own. And I love you, please come home.”

Breathlessly Maria stared at him. “Oh my God, I never knew you could sing!”

Michael waved her comment away. “That’s not important. The question is; did you hear the words?”

Not comprehending him, she nodded in question.

“Do you remember I said I wasn’t worthy of you ‘cause I was half of a man?”

“Oh, yeah! Nightmare New Year’s Eve!”

“I was right and wrong at the same time.”

His cryptic response made her frown.

“My flaw is not my handicap or my lack of prospects.” Before Maria could react, he went on. “You know, I did search for the meaning of my life. I played sport, went out, found myself a home. And through my car I regained a big piece of my freedom. And because of you I’ve got some prospects too. I thought about what you said a lot.” Michael paused briefly to look at her. “Thanks for not pushing me by the way.”

Maria smiled at him.

“I’m going to try it, Maria. I’m going to try out that job as a teacher. Maybe it’s going to turn out all right, maybe not. But you know what?” he said while scratching his eyebrow with his thumb.

For the first time in her life, Maria didn’t dare to answer him.

“I wouldn’t mind if the job will turn into one big mistake. That job is not the missing piece in my puzzle. I’m not going to find my happiness in it. It’s not the thing that will make me complete. I realized that the other day.”

Michael inhaled deeply. “’Cause you know, Maria, I’ll still stay incomplete.”

He looked her right in the eyes. “I’ll stay incomplete, Maria -” Softer now he finished. “Cause you’re not around. You’re my missing piece. You’re the one who makes everything, me, complete.”

Tears ran down her face while he pulled her in his arms. “Sorry, I kept you waiting, that I took my time to figure it out. I was too blind to see the richness I had already; you!”

He took her head in his hands, caressing the soft outlines of her face, gently wiping her tears away. “And now I made you cry.”

“They are happy tears. I’m happy.” And with that she embraced him tighter.

A couple of kisses later, Maria muttered something between the kisses.

“What did you say?”

“I should have never put Radiohead, Arid or K’s Choice on that CD!”

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Huh?”

“Then you would have never had those strange thoughts in your head. You would’ve never doubted yourself or us.”

“But then we wouldn’t have been able to make up either. So-” Lovingly he held her even closer to his body.

Intertwined in each other’s arms they looked at the main stage.

And he felt whole. Fulfilled. Complete.