Aficionado (AU M/L Adult) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twenty

“I can’t believe we’re actually going to do this.”

Liz closed the bedroom door behind them and locked the door, just in case. “I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“Liar.”

He sat down on the end of the bed and looked at the floor. He felt a little uncomfortable catching her eyes right now. “Are you sure no one will come home?”

“Practically certain,” she walked towards him, pulling off her cardigan as she went. “How do you want to do this?” she asked.

He was finding it difficult to breath. “What do you mean, exactly?”

“What position?” she smiled. “You want to be on top, or shall I? Backwards or frontward, sideward…or…sitting? There’s more. I could—”

“Geez Liz, stop it.” He shuddered. Was it too late to back out of this?

Yes, he decided it was.

“How about the good-old fashioned way? Me on top,” he cleared his throat. “We’re both beginners remember?”

“Yeah, we could always try the other ways later.”

His eyes bulged. “Later?”

“Yeah, for practice. Should I get naked or should I be partially dressed? Which would you prefer?”

If this was really going to happen, he wanted to remember every detail. Right now she was wearing a pink summer dress and white sneakers. Around her neck were some white beads…her hair was in a high pony tale. On her lips there was some sort of shiny lip gloss and earlier when she’d applied it in the car it had smelt like cherry.

“If I have to be naked, you have to be naked,” he finally answered.

“Okay then.”

She was wearing a white lace bra and matching panties. Her breasts were small, as were her hips.

“Why are you so comfortable with this?” he asked, his breath suddenly coming more quickly.

“Because it’s you,” she replied with a smile. “I’d be nervous if it was someone else.”

That comment gave him a bit more confidence as he tore off his t-shirt and jeans. Soon they were both naked, standing in front of each other.

“Getting quite muscley aren’t we?” Liz said. “Have you been working out?”

“Maybe.” Max noticed that Liz was very open in examining his genitalia. “What Parker? You never seen a penis before?”

“Not one that small,” she teased.

His mouth opened agape and she laughed hysterically.
“Shut up!”

“I’m just kidding! You should see the expression on your face, my goodness!”

“If you’re going to be like that, then I’m going to leave.”

“So sensitive!” she stepped towards him. “No, I was just thinking that I’m glad you can get it up for me.”

His face softened. “Of course I can. You’re really pretty, Parker.”

“You are too,” she smiled.

“Are we supposed to kiss?”

“Do you want to?” she was standing very close to him now. The tips of her hard nipples were practically touching his chest. Her skin was quite white, everywhere but her neck, arms and legs. He noticed that she kept her watch and socks on. Her stomach was flat, possibly her best feature, and her thighs were very skinny—too skinny in his opinion.

“I want to if you want to,” he replied. “Are you going to leave those on?” he motioned to her socks.

“My toes are cold,” she said simply. “And yes, I want to.”

“Kiss?”

“Yeah.”

“Uh…o-okay,” he leaned forward and pecked her lips softly. She was the one who deepened it, slipping her tongue inside his mouth and touching his.

A whimper escaped Liz’s mouth. She should have frozen in place or done the complete opposite—run for it, but her only thought was getting to Max. She dove onto the kitchen floor. “Max?” she cried.

She wanted to roll him over but the bullet wound was in his upper shoulder and she didn’t know whether or not it would make things worse. It wasn’t until she felt moisture on her knee’s that she realized she was sitting in a pile of his thick, dark blood.

“Max…” she reached over to the oven and tugged down a tea towel. She was just pressing it to his would when she felt the hot steel tip of a gun barrel pressed up against the back of her head. “Liz, get up,” the person said.

“How could you do this?” she asked, looking at her with horror. Her heart missed a beat. “He’s going to die. Please, let me call an ambulance.”

The person simply cocked the gun.

Slowly she rose onto her feet. “You killed all the others too didn’t you?”

She didn’t answer.

“How dare you, you’re supposed to be my friend. Do you have any idea what you’ve done?”

She looked directly into Liz’s face and with much feeling, said, “I just wanted you to love me.”

“I could never love you,” Liz said, “How could anyone love a cold-hearted murder?”

There was flash of pain in her eyes and then she clenched her jaw, hiding what she was really feeling. “You’d rather love a piece of shit like him?” she kicked Max’s thigh with harsh force. He came back into consciousness and groaned in pain. “He couldn’t love you like me.”

Liz…?” Max groaned, trying to get up.

“Max…” Liz whimpered, “Don’t move, sweetie. You’ll be fine. Don’t move.”

“ARGH!” she cocked her gun and shot him again in his back. Liz screamed and jumped on her, pinning her to ground. She wanted to kill her with her bare hands; she couldn’t believe the hatred that surged through her veins.

“I hope you rot in hell,” Liz roared. “You fucking bitch!”

The murderer managed to wrestle Liz off of her and struggled to her feet. Liz remained on the ground, tears rolling down her face as she stared up into Constance’s face.

“Move and I’ll kill you,” she said.

Liz saw that her clothes were stained with Max’s blood. The hurt evident in her voice, she asked, “You’ve taken everyone I’ve ever cared about away from me, what do I have left to live for?”

“Me,” she begged, “Live for me, as I live for you. Please…”

“I’d rather die.”

Sitting on top of the stereo was Max’s cellphone and it startled them both when it begun ringing loudly. Liz lurched for it, just managing to scream a painful, “HELP ME!” town the line before a bullet spun past her cheek and sent bits of the phone ricocheting into the air.

She fell back in alarm, once again looking up at her opponent from the floor.

“Let’s lie down.”

Liz nodded. “Okay. Do you have a condom?”

“Yeah.”

Liz propped herself up against the pillows on the bed and waited anxiously for him to join her. She wasn’t nearly as confident right now as she was making him believe. This also meant a lot more to her than he thought. She’d wanted this for a long time.

He positioned himself in-between her thighs and she shivered in pleasure. His skin felt so warm against hers.

“Are you cold? You have goose bumps.”

“I’m not cold at all,” she answered.

He smiled shyly and ran a hand gently up her thigh. “Are you wet?”

She bit her lip, pondering how to answer. “Why don’t you find out for yourself?”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course.”

With his arousal pressed up against her leg, Max inserted a finger within Liz’s most unexplored place and let the sweet wetness cover his skin in a slight film.

“I see that you’re really turned on right nowt…” he looked at her sheepishly.

She chuckled. “Funny that.”

“I want to do it now.”

“Then do it.”

“Alright, I will then.”

“Good. Hurry up.”

“Don’t pressure me, I’ve never done this before!” he quickly dug into his pocket and produced a small blue foil package. Liz watched avidly as he opened it and slipped it down his length with ease.

“Why do you know how to do that so well?” she asked teasingly.

“It’s not rocket science Liz.”

“Well some people probably find it very difficult, you know in the heat of the moment and all that.”

“Are you saying that this moment isn’t heated enough for you?”

Liz lifted one of her legs so it was bent in the air. “I didn’t expect it to be heated Max.”

“Way to boost my ego.”

“I expected it to be slow and sweet,” she offered. “Not hot and fast.”

“Oh.”

“Do it.”

Max positioned himself at her entrance and careful not to hurt her too much slid inside her warmth. When he was as far as he could go, she shifted to get comfortable and lifted one arm around his neck.

He took a moment and to his surprise, Liz leaned up and kissed him sweetly on the lips. “I’m glad I’m doing this with you,” she whispered.

“Me too,” he replied.

Despite her mild discomfort, Liz managed to enjoy the feeling of Max inside her. She liked that he made her feel full and tingly. She also found pleasure in how much he appeared to enjoy
himself.

Afterwards they lay on their backs staring up at the ceiling. “Well…what do you think?” he finally asked.

“I think it’ll be better the second time.”

Max should have been insulted but instead he was preoccupied by the fact she wanted there to be a second time. “You wanna do it again?”

“Yeah,” she rolled her head to the side so she could look at him, “For practice.”

“O—okay.” He paused, thinking for a long moment. “Like right now?”

She titled her head to the side. “Ah…maybe in a little while. Can I touch you?”

“Huh?”

“I’ve never touched a guy before,” she admitted. “So can I?”

“Ah…I suppose.”

She was just wrapping her fingers around him when they heard the front door slam and voices of his parents drift upstairs.

“Oh man,” Max moaned.

“Maybe we’ll finish this another time?”

She got up and tugged on her clothes quickly. He followed, though more reluctantly. “Stupid parents.”

Liz didn’t know what to do. It was kind of funny the things that pass through your mind when confronted with your death. She knew she didn't have much time. Looking at her husband dying on the cold kitchen floor, she made up her mind. With a quick burst of energy she lunged at her attacker.

~*~

There you go guys, sorry for keeping you waiting!!!!! Thanks so much for being patient! :D
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twenty-One
Constance was completely taken aback when Liz landed on her. She hadn’t been expecting her to act so fearlessly and the gun went flying out of her hands, landing on the kitchen floor a few feet away from them.

They struggled against each other, their hands thrashing and ripping at anything they could find. Somehow Constance managed to shove Liz off her and instantly tried to get the gun back in her possession. Liz held her back as best as she could by grabbing her long hair and pulling it roughly.

“What did you think you were going to do Constance?” Liz asked, panting loudly into the air. “Take everyone I loved away from me and get away with it? Your fucking insane!”

Constance struggled on her stomach, trying to roll over but Liz grasped her head harshly and with as much force as she could, slapped it down on the tiled floor. There was a crack and Constance cried out. Liz suspected she’d broken her nose, especially when she saw a drip of blood fall dramatically onto the tiles.

“Liz…Liz, please…” Constance moaned.

“Please what?” Liz spat. “What makes you think you deserve my kindness? You’re shit and so are your pleas. Did you spare Max?”

“You could never have loved me with them around.”

Out of the corner of her eyes, Liz saw Max’s arm twitch and was instantly filled with hope. She smashed Constance’s head against the floor once more and scrambled towards the gun. She managed to successfully pick it up and leap to her feet again while Constance was still recovering from her blow.

Liz was shocked when she saw the many trails of blood running down her enemy’s face. The pain in her eyes was also something she wasn’t prepared for.

“Are you going to kill me?” she asked softly. “Because if I can’t have you I don’t want to live.”

“I don’t want you to live either. But I’m not a killer like you. Get up off the floor and go towards the phone.”

Liz backed up against the wall and held the gun out in front of her. Her fingers were angrily clenching the trigger, waiting for the opportune moment.

“Dial 911,” she ordered. “Ask for an ambulance.”

“And if I don’t?”

“I’ll blow your fucking head off.”

Constance paused as if she was going to test her claim and then sighed. Liz watched closely as Constance dialled and recited the address for the operator, her grip remaining tense around the .22

“Someone’s been shot,” Constance said simply. Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Liz made her hang up before the operator even finished speaking. She knew that the 911 telephone operators liked to keep the callers on the line for long periods of time.

“What now?” she asked.

Liz started backing towards Max, the gun still outstretched towards Constance. When she reached him, she squatted and tried to feel for a pulse. Over the loud rush of blood in her own ears and the harsh thumping of her heart, she couldn’t feel anything. She supposed that the warmth of his face and neck was a good sign.

The other bullet wound was in his lower back, on his left side.

Constance must have been slowly inching towards her because suddenly she was so close that when she leapt towards Liz, Liz didn’t have time to push the trigger. Once again they wrestled for the gun, only this time Constance had the barrel pointing into her forehead within seconds.

“We’re leaving,” she demanded. “Right now. Stand up.”

Liz hesitated, but in the end did as she was told. “Where are you taking me?” she asked, “Wherever you go, the police will find you.”

“Maybe…maybe not,” Constance said, flashing Liz a demented smile. “It won’t matter anyways if you’re dead.

“Hurry up!” Constance shoved Liz towards the bedroom while holding the gun steady against her temple.

“Go and change your clothes. You can’t go down stairs like that.”

They went into the bedroom and Liz did as she was told. The way Constance’s eyes roamed over her body after she’d removed her dress was enough to make her want to be sick. Her fingers felt leaden and clumsy. The more she fumbled the more Constance threatened her with the gun.

Constance quickly wiped the blood from her face but it was still evident that there was something seriously wrong with her nose. They walked downstairs to the street and the doorman hailed them a cab.

“A cab?” Liz snickered. “You obviously aren’t smart as I thought you were.”

Constance discretely pressed the gun into Liz’s lower back. “Just keep talking,” she said threateningly.

When they were seated and on their way down the street—leaving poor dying Max on the kitchen floor—Liz tried desperately to let the driver know that something was wrong. However, he was too busy singing along with the Sugar babes ‘Round, Round’ which was playing quite loudly on the radio.

Constance sat extremely closely to Liz and after a few moments her arm went around her waist. A shudder escaped both of them.

It wasn’t until they were a fair ways away from the apartment building that an ambulance blared past. Liz prayed silently that the medics got there on time. She was so scared for Max. Please she begged, save him or I’ll die myself.

Just before the cab driver pulled over Liz managed to catch his eyes in the rear-view mirror. She mouthed a quick, ‘HELP ME’ before Constance noticed him and said snottily, “What are you staring at?”

After getting out of the cab the two of them walked to a warehouse that was used to clean and process fish. It was near Battery Park and Liz found it rather ironic that they were going to a place that was known for the dead bodies that were uncovered in the area. She wondered if she’d be one of them too, lying in a messy tangle of sea water and rubbish by the morning. Would the fishermen untangle her in their nets or would she be rotting in the bottom of one of their large brown bins?

“Why don’t you just give up?” Liz asked. “It’s over Constance. Face it.”

Her response caused Liz to jump, “You’re talking too fucking much. Go over there and stand by the wall, don’t move.”

The wall was icy against Liz’s back. She began to shiver as she watched Constance pace back and forth. The only light was coming from the street lamps lining the road outside. The shadows on Constance’s face made her look even more ominous.

Long minutes passed before Constance approached her. Sidling up next to her, Constance dropped her free hand and caressed Liz’s hip.

A disgusted shudder passed through Liz.

“Let’s go upstairs to one of the offices,” Constance ordered, keeping her hand on Liz.

Constance walked behind, the gun permanently pressed to Liz’s back.

Finding all of the office doors locked, Constance’s temper flared and she broke the glass on one of the doors, reaching in to turn the knob.

After closing the door behind them Constance ordered, “Kiss me.”

“Go to hell,” Liz retorted.

Constance was a lot more patient now that she’d had a moment to calm down. Her voice even, she asked, “Who’s the one with the loaded gun here?”

“What, are you going to rape me now?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“I do,” Liz said, “It’s perverted and sick. Haven’t you done enough wrong?”

“Sure. Why not do a little more?”

The hand on Liz’s hip slowly moved upwards and was soon cupping her breast. Liz shoved it away harshly. “Get your hands off me!”

The gun came up and rested on her temple. “Do you want to die tonight Liz?”

Constance seemed to know very well what she wanted now. Liz began to feel very scared and alone. She hadn’t taken Constance’s insanity seriously, feeling as though she could overtake her.

But now she wasn’t so sure.

What if Constance decided that if she couldn’t have Liz, then no one would?

On the verge of a whimper, Liz asked, “What do you want me to do?”

“Take your clothes off.”

Liz closed her eyes. What could she do? How could she get out of this? And to think there had been a time when she was curious about what it would be like to be with a woman. Now it was a nightmare. “It’s very cold. I’ll freeze to death.”

“My body heat will warm you up.”

“There is nothing on the floor… the couch is dirty…where exactly do you want this to take place?”

“My jacket will do fine. Get moving.”

Slowly Liz pulled her sweater over her head and unbuttoned her trousers. Her movements slowed down once more when it came to removing her bra and underwear.

Constance watched her with avid fascination and when Liz was naked in front of her she was extremely pleased. Liz was trembling, her whole body covered with goosebumps.

“Gorgeous,” she murmured, stepping up close to her. “Breathtaking…”

A tear dripped from Liz’s eye and rolled down her cheek. “Please, get it over and done with if you have to. I’m freezing.”

“No…this is going to be slow…I want to taste every inch of you…Do I need to tie your hands or will you do as I ask?”

Liz didn’t reply. Constance tied her hands.

Soon they were both bare. With a shudder Constance commented, “Ohh…you’re right. It is chilly.”

Liz wouldn’t look at her. She didn’t want to see anything. She closed her eyes tight and didn’t open them.

~*~

It had been Constable Janssen that called Max’s cell phone earlier and heard Liz’s terrified plea for help. He had no idea where the couple were but the mystery was solved when someone within their apartment called 911 around 2:15am.

He called for backup and headed to their apartment, ready to deal with a possible hostage situation. Instead, they found Max – bleeding and on the verge of death – sprawled on the kitchen floor, lying in a pool of blood. The paramedics took care of him instantly and now the police were left wandering around the place trying to find clues as to what had transpired that night.

The Constable had the telephone operators replay the telephone call to him. He knew instantly that it was not Liz on the line because of the lack of urgency in her voice. He concluded that there was a second woman involved somewhere. He wondered whether she was a hostage—why else would she call an ambulance?—or possibly a neighbour.

He went to question the neighbours but turned up nothing. Either they weren’t home or hadn’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Janssen decided to call her parents and then her friends, starting with Maria. Perhaps one of the couple’s friends had been in the apartment some time?

It turned out that none of them had had any idea what was going on. Maria’s first reaction was to get to the hospital in a second. She camped out in the waiting room in her pyjamas and robe and tried to help the police as much as possible but had no reliable answers.

An APB was put out on the possibility that Liz might have been kidnapped. After finding Max they were pretty certain it was the suspect that had taken her.

Janssen ran his hands over his face in frustration. All morning he had wracked his brain for possible places she could have been taken to. It wasn’t until he was sitting at his desk staring at his phone that he noticed a note he’d written the night before.

It said: Look into Constance O’Hara

It had been Max’s suggestion but he’d never had a chance to do anything about it. His search had turned up nothing on her but a couple of speeding tickets.

Not having much to go on but a hunch, he decided to call her but got her voicemail.

“What do you think?” he asked one of his colleagues. “Should I go round there?”

“Yeah. I think so.”

It was eight-thirty when he and his partner knocked on her door. Again there was no answer.

“I don’t know about you but I really want to get in there,” he partner said. “I have this feeling.”

Janssen agreed so they went down to the landlord and asked him to unlock the door.

“You got a search warrant?” the landlord felt like being difficult. “I’m not letting you in without one.”

“You don’t mind harbouring possible murders?” Janssen asked under his breath. “Don’t worry, we’ll be back.”

It would take a while to get the warrant, even with the urgency of the case. Janssen just hoped that when they finally got it, it wouldn’t be too late.

~*~

there you go, I'm taking a break out of my holiday just to post for you. Appreciate it! lol!
100% Pure New Zealand Beef
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twenty-Two

When Janssen was leaving Constance’s apartment building his cell phone rang. It was an officer back at the station. He said that a cab driver by the name of Quincy had called.

Quincy said that around two-thirty he’d given two ladies a ride to a place near Battery Park. Apparently, now that he was recalling it, he thought that one of the girls had looked scared and had perhaps tried to get his attention.

It wasn’t until he saw Liz’s picture in the paper twenty minutes ago that he thought he better let someone know.

“Battery Park, you say?” Janssen said looking at his partner pointedly. “Have you asked him to come into the station for questioning?”

“He said he’d be here in thirty minutes.”

“Good. Find out everything you can and also send some back up to Park. I’m going to head there now.”

Janssen slipped his phone back into his pocket. “I don’t care what it takes. We’re not waiting for a fucking search warrant. Get in that apartment.”

“A pleasure, sir.”

Janssen slipped into his car and drove with the siren on. Battery Park was quite a large area and he knew he’d need quite a few officers to cover the distance. Fortunately, his phone rang again just as he was pulling up outside of a grimy fish factory.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Good news. The Columbia Presbyterian called. Elizabeth Evans has just turned up; she’s gone to get checked out now. She said to ‘Look in one of the office closets in the Arlington Fish Factory’.”

Janssen couldn’t believe it. What luck!

“Thanks!” he said.

~*~

Constance never got to have her wicked way with Liz. The doors of the factory banged open soon after they’d entered the upstairs office. The fishermen were congregating in the cool air, chatting quietly before they set off in their boats.

The two girls froze when they heard the slap of gumboots coming up the stairs. A voice could be heard nearing, “I’m just going to hop on my computer. Make me a coffee will you?”

Constance was in her clothing in a flash and chucked her coat at Liz to tug on. The two of them squeezed into the closet and with the gun pushed at Liz’s temple, Constance warned, “Say one word and I’ll press the trigger.”

Liz was silent, her eyes still tightly closed. She was begging whoever was listening to help her, to help Max. Her breathing was harsh and panicked so Constance slapped her hand over her mouth. Notice the broken glass, she prayed.

The man did notice the broken glass on his office door and stepped inside suspiciously. After he’d switched on the light and had a quick glance around he yelled downstairs, “Hey Joe—was anyone in here last night?”

After a few seconds Joe called back, “Yeah! I think Pauly was. Why? He checked his emails from that Asian girl he met in the chat rooms.”

Liz felt Constance shift impatiently.

“The bastard broke the glass on my door. That’ll be why he ain’t here today.”

The two girls listened to the floor boards creak as he walked towards his desk. Liz could see his plump form through the crack of the door. She watched as he sat down on his badly cushioned chair and switched on his computer.

Someone else, whom Liz guessed was Joe, turned up in the door way soon after. He put the coffee down on the desk and said snottily, “I take it you aren’t coming out today.”

“No, I have paperwork. Someone has to do it. You get out there.”

“You just enjoy your little heater now don’t you?”

After an hour of standing waiting for the perfect escape time Liz began to wonder why Constance didn’t just barge out of the closet and shoot the guy. With a smirk, she thought that perhaps Constance had had enough of killing people for one day.

The man switched on his television and time continued to tick by. Liz’s legs began to kill her. She couldn’t help drifting downwards, she needed to sit down.

“Don’t even think about it,” Constance threatened, almost silently. “If you’re sore, lean against me.”

“Why don’t you go outside and play hide and go fuck yourself.”

“Hmm…” Constance whispered. “That’s not very nice. Where should we go after we get out of here….Precious Liz, where would you like to go?”

“The hospital, to see my husband,” she replied quietly. “Or am I widow in my twenties?”

They heard the man shift and both peered through the crack of the door. He couldn’t hear them; he was engrossed in typing and listening to the weather report.

“There are worse things…” Constance shrugged. “Like being an orphan. At least you still have your parents’ sweetness.”

Liz shuddered. Max always called her sweetness. To hear Constance say it raised something her stomach.

Constance stroked her back.

“Let me go home,” Liz whispered pleadingly, her eyes to the ground. “Please. Just run on your own if you have to. I won’t tell anyone where you go, just let me go home.”

Constance grew angry. “Then what would have been the point of all of this?!” she shook her head. “No, you just need time to realize what we have. We just need to go somewhere until you realize.”

“You need help,” Liz murmured. “Please let me go.”

“I’ve had enough of your pleas. You aren’t so bad off with me. Close your mouth.”

Liz wanted to point out that actually she was incredibly bad off to be with her but bit her lip instead. In the soft light, she managed to glance at her watch. It read 7:07am. The morning had passed by so quickly.

Suddenly, when both of them were least expecting it the man got up from his chair and walked out the door. Liz was so relieved she didn’t care if she died trying to get away, she had to do something.

When Constance went to push the door open Liz grabbed her wrist with one hand and twisted it roughly. She was still holding her wrist when she thrust her elbow backwards, hitting Constance in the gut.

Constance groaned and Liz spun around. Without a second thought she punched her roughly in the nose. If it wasn’t broken already, it definitely was now.

She grabbed for the gun and her clothes and was out the door in a flash. She locked it behind her and Constance hissed and banged against the wood with her fists. “Let me out you little bitch!”

Liz tugged on her clothes, each second glancing at the door to see if the man would come back. As soon as she was dressed again she ran for it, through the hallways and down the stairs.

In her panic she tried to jump down too many steps and ended up tripping and rolling painfully to the floor. A man cursed and hurried to her when she landed with a thud on the concrete floor. “Jeesh! Where did you come from?”

Liz’s head swayed but she wouldn’t let that stop her from getting up. The man helped her but her arm stung where he touched it.

“What were you doing up there? You need to get to a doctor. You’ve cut your head.”

She snatched her arm away from him and ran towards the door. Perhaps if she had been thinking clearly she would have told them to call the police or let them know about Constance upstairs.

However, she had been kept awake all night and was beyond the stage of panic so she did the only thing that she’d been thinking of for hours—run.

Once outside, she vomited all over the concrete. While wiping her mouth she noticed a taxi out of the corner of her eye. Luckily for her it wasn’t too far away and when she got out onto the street she hailed it over. She slammed the door behind her and shivered. “Hospital,” she begged. “Take me to Columbia Presbyterian.”

The guy looked at her through the rear-view mirror. “You okay lady?”

She nodded and looked out the window. Her hands wouldn’t stop their palsied trembling. She was running on pure adrenaline alone. All she wanted was to see her husband.

Please be alive, Max! she thought as she fitfully wiped at the tears that were slowly falling down her cheeks.

While running onto the hospital she bumped into a doctor. He gave her a once over and then said kindly, “That’s a pretty nasty gash you have on your forehead, where did you come from?”

“I need to get to my husband,” was all she said.

“Okay, I’ll help you if you come this way. Will you promise to let me look at that cut after you’ve seen him?”

She nodded and breathlessly said, “His name is Max Evans.”

“Okay,” he walked around the secretary’s counter and told the woman sitting there to type in his name.

“Oh…” she said suddenly and looked up at Liz. “Are you his wife?”

“Yes, I’m Liz Evans. Why? Is he…?”

She shook her head. “He’s on level three. Do the police know you’re here?”

The doctor frowned. “What’s going on?”

“An APB was put out for an Elizabeth Evans. The police told us to contact them if you turned up.”

Liz couldn’t care less about all of that right now. “So Max is fine? He’s alive?” she asked.

“I’ll take you up there,” the doctor said. “Come on.”

“Wait…” she bit her lip. “Tell the police to go to the fish factory near Battery Park. Hopefully she’ll still be there…”

“Who will?”

She didn’t answer, just hurried to the elevator and pounded on the button. The ride up seemed to last one hundred years. Finally when they reached the waiting room Liz found Maria, her parents and Max’s dad. Her mom ran to her. “Liz? Oh my God sweetie!” she began to sob uncontrollably and wrapped her arms tightly around her daughter. “We were so worried. We didn’t know what happened to you.”

Liz cried out in pain. Her arm was squashed in between her body and her mom’s.

“Did I hurt you?” Nancy asked, horrified. “Doctor, what’s wrong with her?”

“I’ll have to check her out. She wanted to see her husband first.”

“Lizzie he’s alive,” Maria said, knowing how much it would mean to Liz that she finally knew. “He woke up an hour ago—he was under a lot of medication but all he cared about was finding out where you are.”

Liz felt her lower lip tremble. “Can I see him?”

“Sure. Come this way.”

There was a viewing window into Max’s room. When Liz finally set her eyes on him he was lying on his stomach—the bullet wounds were in his back—and there were tubes attached to his nose and mouth. She pressed her face to the glass and sighed in relief. “He’s going to live?” she asked.

“I’ll just go check his chart. I’d say there is a good chance if he lasted the morning. Would you like to come in?”

Liz shook her head. She didn’t know why but she didn’t want to go in there yet. He was alive, that was enough relief for now. She feared that if she touched him she might faint.

The doctor walked out with his charts. “Nothing’s certain but the removal of the bullets were quite successful and his body is responding well to treatment.”

In relief, she started to sob. With her back against the wall she slid down towards the floor and sat down with her knees against her chest.

The doctor left her alone for a short while and then squatted in front of her. “Come and get cleaned up. He won’t wake for at least another ten-to-twelve hours. You’d like to be tidied up and prepared for that won’t you?”

She nodded and let him help her to her feet.

“I’m Dr. Groban, by the way.”

“Thank you doctor,” she whispered.

~*~

There you go! Enjoy! :D Thanks everyone!
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

“You’ve broken your arm,” Doctor Groban said. “We’ll have to put it in a cast. Also…that cut will need stitches.”

“Alright,” Liz replied. “Can you do all that while I sleep?”

He smiled. “Unfortunately no, but I’ll work quickly alright? I’ll get my nurse to find a spare room for you to rest in…otherwise a stretcher will have to do.”

She nodded. The doctor was a good looking man, lanky with fair skin and a light sprinkle of freckles. He had stunningly beautiful blue eyes that made him appear younger than his age.

“I don’t know how to thank you. After the last twenty hours I’ve had your kindness is beyond wonderful. You can be rest assured you’ll get a big box of chocolates when this is all over.”

“Oh my wife will love that,” he said. After a moment his face went serious. “Can I ask what happened to you last night?”

Her eyes dropped to the floor. “I’m not ready to talk about it yet. Not unless I have to.”

“I respect that.”

There was a knock at the door and a nurse popped her head in. “The police have arrived to question Elizabeth Evans.”

“I only want to speak to Constable Janssen,” Liz said. “If he’s here, send him in. I’ll talk to him while you fix my arm.”

Dr. Groban looked at his nurse. “You heard her.”

Constable Janssen joined them five minutes later but he wasn’t comfortable discussing confidential case matters with the doctor present so he waited until he had excused himself.

As soon as the door closed she asked Janssen if they’d found her. She could tell by his expression straight away that they hadn’t.

“Constance? I’m assuming it was her?” he asked.

“Yes,” Liz nodded. Just hearing her name made her sick.

“The manager said he’d let her out half an hour ago. My men are out searching for her now.”

“Okay.” Her expression must have shown her fright because Janssen sympathetically touched her arm.

“You and your husband will have a bodyguard with you until she’s found,” he told her.

“Thank you…” she swallowed. “I suppose you want me to tell you about my evening?”

“Yes please,” he said.

Liz took a few moments to calm herself and then, with her heart beating rapidly, gave her account of the evening. Janssen switched on his tape recorder and also wrote notes as she spoke.

When they were done the doctor came back and checked on Liz’s intravenous drip. “You’re one lucky lady, Mrs. Evans. That cut missed an artery by about half a centimetre.”

Liz nodded absentmindedly. He had no idea just how lucky she was.

~*~

Liz went to Maria’s for an hour to have a shower and get changed. She wasn’t allowed to go home just yet, not that she wanted to. She wasn’t sure she ever wanted to go back there ever again.

“Your face is all yellow-tinted from the iodine,” Maria told her during the car ride back. “How does your brow feel?”

“It’s starting to throb a bit, but I can manage,” Liz replied. “Maria…do you think Max will be alright?”

Maria pressed her lips together. She said all she could think to say. “Probably.”

“As long as he lives…” Liz said absentmindedly. Then we can handle anything, she thought.

Once at the hospital she went straight to Max’s room. It had been nearly twenty-four hours since she’d last slept but she was determined to last until he woke up.

To her disappointment and delight he was awake. His father was seated beside him and they were attempting to talk quietly.

When she saw him her eyes filled up and she began to blubber. He looked so helpless to her and soon she was shaking from trying not the cry.

“Oh,” Max managed sadly, feeling tears in his own eyes. “Oh, come here…”

Mr. Evans got out of his chair and she sat down, her hands immediately grasping her husband’s. She wanted to hug him but couldn’t because of the way he was lying on his stomach. His face was on the mattress, bent towards her. “Where have you been, huh?” he asked, almost choking on his words. He began rubbing her fingers harshly with his own.

“I’ve been around,” she whispered. “How do you feel?”

His eyes were darting from her broken arm, to her face, to her cut brow. “I feel great,” he said.

She half laughed, half sobbed. “You look it.”

“You know me,” he smiled. “May as well be superman.”

She leaned down and softly pressed her lips to his, lingering and savouring the moment. Not wanting to pull away, she rested her head on his shoulder.

“I love it when you taste like coffee,” he said, but she’d fallen asleep.

~*~

“It’s uncertain whether or not you will be able to walk again, but we can tell you that if you do it won’t be possible without some kind of aid. Like a walking stick for example.”

Liz saw that Max lowered his eyes and swallowed when the doctor said that. Trying to be supportive, she reached over and grasped his hand. He didn’t offer her the typical smile of gratitude.

“As soon as you’re healed adequately we’ll begin physiotherapy,” the doctor continued. “I wouldn’t be too glum; spinal injuries aren’t always life sentences. There are people who do great things despite their injuries.”

“But there are a lot who can’t,” Max retorted. “There are those who remain paralyzed for the rest of their lives.”

“Max,” Liz said. “Please…”

“Mr. Evans an optimistic attitude goes a long way. In instances like these, it’s the unwillingness to give up that separates the victims from the victors.”

After the doctor left Max muttered that he was ‘talking out of the hole in his ass’ and it was all ‘a heap of horse crap’.

Liz wanted to cry. She pulled her hand away from his and stood up. She faced away from him and swiped angrily at her tears.

“The doctors are trying to help,” she said quietly, “believe it or not.”

Max inhaled loudly. “I don’t know how you expected me to take the news of my becoming a paraplegic. Am I supposed to keep smiling? To keep a rosy outlook? Well I’m not fucking Pollyanna okay!” he yelled angry at his situation. Angry at the world.

“I know it’s hard for you,” she replied. “But everything will be fine. We survived, Max. We can handle everything together.”

“How are you going to cope with a husband in a wheelchair, Liz?” he asked. “How are you going to handle a cripple?”

“What are you talking about?”

“What good am I going to be now?” he answered. “Huh?”

She spun around. “You’re still the same person,” she said, “What difference is the use of your legs going to make to me? Or anyone for that matter.”

“Trust me, it’ll matter. Especially when you have to help me get to the toilet seat when I need to take a crap”

Liz was horrified by what he was saying and how he was acting. She left the room to calm herself down. She went into the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face.

Eventually, when she could bring herself to return, she took a seat next to his bed. He lay with his eyes closed but she knew he was awake.

“I wouldn’t have cared if you lost both your arms and your legs Max. I’m too relieved that you’re here, talking to me now. Alive. If you never walk again so be it. I’m your wife and I’m going to help you through it all—but only if you’re willing to hope for the best—like I am.”

Max was silent. She swallowed away her harsh breathing and brought her face up closer to him. “Max, don’t be sad. You’re not going to lose anyone’s respect if you don’t completely heal. I love you and I’ll be your legs for you, you know that.”

He turned his head away from her. “Don’t make me cry,” he said, but his voice was muffled against the pillow. “Don’t make a grown man cry.”

“Don’t make your wife beg,” she replied.

Reluctantly he looked at her. His eyes were shimmering slightly. They didn’t say anything. They didn’t need to as their lips met in a kiss of mutual respect and understanding.

After a while Max asked quietly, “When are you going to tell me what happened with Constance?”

“I told you,” she answered softly. “Nothing, we struggled and I got away and…”

“Liz,” he said sternly. “Then how did you break your arm? How did you get this cut?” he reached up and ran his fingers along her brow. “Why weren’t you here when I woke up the first time?”

She was silent, looking down at the bed sheets. It took her a while before she finally said, “I’ll tell you when you get better.”

“What if I want to know now?” he asked. “Just tell me this…did they catch her?”

Liz shook her head. “Not yet. But they will.”

Liz didn’t want to tell Max about Constance’s attempt to rape her. She didn’t want to tell him how she’d felt and how she still felt. She wanted to dedicate herself to helping him heal both physically and emotionally and then maybe they’d move onto her trauma.

“Sweetness,” he murmured, “Are you okay?”

“I’m okay,” she said.

“You can talk to me.”

“I am,” she replied stubbornly.

He shook his head. “We’re both a pair, aren’t we?”

“Get some sleep,” she said and stood up. “Get better.”

~*~

Liz was getting herself some coffee and a magazine when Ryan suddenly appeared behind her. She jumped in surprise when she saw him.

“What are you doing here?”

He was wearing his work suit and had a sympathetic yet friendly smile on his face. “I just went and saw Max. Gave him some flowers from everyone at work.”

She smiled softly back. “That’s nice of you. How is the office?”

“Penelope is very much enjoying her temporary status as ‘boss’. Obviously, she’s upset for Max but he’ll have some trouble when he goes back to work.”

Liz chuckled. “I can imagine that.” She tried to rip the sugar packet with her one good hand but was having difficulty so Ryan offered to do it for her.

“You’re almost as beaten up as he is,” he joked.

She nodded. “Yeah, you have no idea. Why don’t you get a cup too? We’ll sit down and have a chat.”

“Sure, yeah, alright. I have something I have to say anyway.”

Liz got them a seat and waited for him before sipping at her coffee and eating her cake. She was curious about what he had to tell her.

“Okay…um, earlier this year I was in a rather jealous state because of you. You’d just won the Richardson case and I had a little rant…to Constance. I’m sorry I did that, if I could take it back I would.”

“That’s alright,” Liz nodded. “We all do it occasionally, or else we wouldn’t be human.”

“I don’t know if you’ll be as understanding in a minute. I said something I shouldn’t have and I’m so ashamed of myself but I’ve been meaning to tell you about this for the longest time. Unfortunately I left it too late…”

“What are you talking about?” Liz asked.

“I said that the only reason you’d graduated is because you’d fucked Professor Hart,” Ryan spat out. “I know it’s not true and I shouldn’t have said anything…”

Liz was shocked. “How did you know I used to be in a relationship with him?”

“Practically every student knew, Liz. But my point is…Constance didn’t until I told her and I’ve always wanted to apologize for that. Even more so now because I know it’s my fault he’s dead. If I’d never told her she wouldn’t have known to go after him too…”

“Oh my God,” Liz said.

“Can you forgive me?”

“Ryan this isn’t your fault. How could you have known she was a psycho?” Liz tapped her fingers against her cup. “I’ve always wondered how she knew…”

“I could have stopped it from getting this far maybe. I always suspected her as being weird, on occasion she’d say something and I’d think ‘that’s not right’ but I never got around to warning you about her.” Ryan truly looked embarrassed. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” she repeated. “Thank you for telling me.”

Ryan wished her and Max the best before he left and Liz remained sitting where she was, considering what she’d just been told. She decided Ryan was a good guy and hated that he blamed himself for one of the deaths.

Constable Janssen turned up sometime later. He had news as well. “We’ve caught her,” he said. “She’s under our custody right now. You can rest assured that there is no longer any threat to yours or Max’s lives.”

Liz let out a loud puff of air and then, unable to help herself, she started to cry happy tears. “Oh thank you,” she whimpered. “Thank you so much…Constable you don’t know how much…”

“I do,” he said.

She couldn’t help herself, she had to give him a hug and kiss. “She’s really been caught?” she asked.

“She has,” he smiled.

“Thank you,” she said, wiping her eyes. “Thank you…”

“You’re very welcome.”

~*~

hope you liked that guys. Thanks for your fb, I read every word

~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twenty-Four

While Liz returned to work and tried to carry on with life, Max remained in the hospital trying to heal. He wasn’t happy about it, but he only had to remain there another two weeks, dependent on his response to the physio therapy. Liz camped out with Maria instead of returning home, not just because she didn’t want to be alone, but she also hated the thought of the apartment. Everyday she browsed the newspapers for a new place, determined never to have to go back.

At work she found ordinary tasks a lot harder to carry out because of her broken arm. For one, it was very difficult for her to type on her laptop—one page took her hours (or at least felt that long) to get done. No one was pushing her to do anything and nearly everyone was very supportive. Nevertheless, Liz knew Penelope found the whole thing very inconvenient. She saw very quickly what Ryan had meant when he said that she didn’t act like a temporary boss.

Penelope would have been even less impressed if she found out about the telephone calls Liz got every ten minutes. Max would call from the hospital constantly for the silliest things. Most of the time it was because he was bored and wanted to talk to her. She’d promise to bring some magazines on her lunch break but that still wasn’t enough for him. He just had to tell her that this nurse didn’t like him, that he thought they should visit Spain in the year 2006 and that the food had something in it that he was sure was a part of a bug….

It was nearing five o’clock on a Wednesday afternoon and she had just finished interviewing a possible secretary when Max called for the third time that day.

“Didn’t I just see you at lunch?” she asked. She was trying hard to remain calm and see this whole thing in good-humour. “What could possibly have happened now?”

“Nothing really…” he drawled out. “I was watching the news, that’s all. I saw Constance.”

Liz put her head back against the chair. “Oh yeah?”

“Her nose was all bent and horrible-looking. Did you do that?”

“Maybe I did,” Liz replied simply.

“Well then, I wanted to tell you: Good job.”

She couldn’t help but chuckle. Now that he was getting better he was trying to see everything they’d just gone through with a bit of humour. She wasn’t going to stop him.

“Whatcha doin’ anyways?” he asked.

“Interviewing new secretaries. But…Penelope keeps coming in to check on me. It’s really frustrating.”

“Tell her that if she doesn’t cut out bossing everyone around then I’m going to fire her ass. In fact…maybe I’ll tell her that. I’ll call you back in a second.”

Before Liz had a chance to protest he hung up. She couldn’t believe it.

Ten minutes later, the phone rang again. “There. Done,” he said with obvious enjoyment. “Now where were we…? Oh yes I wanted to tell you…did you know that I am incredibly horny? I was worried I’d never be able to get it up again but this morning I woke up with the biggest bon—”

“Max!” Liz cried, horrified. About which thing she couldn’t decide. “What did you say to Penelope?”

“You’d rather talk about that?” he asked.

“Yes, actually I think I would.”

“I just told her that if I continue to get complaints from my employees about her behaviour then I’m going to put someone else in charge until I come back. She wasn’t too happy but said she’d apologize to everyone during the next meeting.”

“Good grief.”

“So…what are you wearing under your clothes right now anyway?”

She twisted her hair around her fingers. “That’s none of your business.”

“As your husband, I think it is my business.”

There was a knock at the door and Fay popped her head inside. “Liz, your next interview is here,” she said.

“Oh, thank you Fay. Send him in.”

Him?” Max asked loudly into the phone. “Why are you getting a MALE secretary?”

“Because I want to. See you after work.” She was just about to hang up when she realized, “Oh! Actually I’m supposed to be viewing an apartment after work. I’ll come with dinner straight after that.”

“Pft.”

“Love you.”

He sighed. “I suppose I love you too. Goodbye.”

~*~

“So how was the apartment?” Maria asked that evening.

Liz had just walked in the door and was taking off her jacket. “It was stunning and absolutely huge…but way more than what we can afford.”

She saw that Maria was just sitting back, reading a book and listening to some music. Liz hated to interrupt her ‘down’ time. “Maria, I’m sorry I’m being a hassle. I will find something…and soon, I promise.”

“Liz,” Maria said pointedly. “I love you staying here. I don’t mind in the least how long your apartment hunting takes. Don’t be silly.”

Liz slipped off her heels and began removing her nylons. “Are you sure? You’re being so generous.”

“I don’t think so, you’re contributing to the rent aren’t you?”

“Only because I force it into your hands,” Liz said. “I’m going to take a long, hot bath. Is that alright?”

Maria shook her head in amazement and then cried, “Of course it is! Do what you like! There’s food there too, if you want some.”

“Is there enough for two? I still have to go to the hospital later.”

“Yeah and that reminds me,” Maria said, “Max called. He wanted me to make sure you were taking care of yourself.”

Liz rolled her eyes. “Oh boy, he’s really a piece of work isn’t he? My, my.”

“At least it shows he loves you.”

“I suppose it does. What is this you are listening to? It’s beautiful.”

“Katie Melua. She’s got such a heavenly voice…just listening to it feels like warm chocolate melting on your tongue…or running our fingers over velvet. I can’t explain it. She’s just wonderful.”

“Turn it up so I can listen in the bathroom too.”

Liz allowed herself to relax in the tub for forty minutes, just loosening up and trying to clear her mind. Lately it was even harder for her to keep her thoughts from entering dangerous territory. Now that she no longer had Constance chasing her she had time to think of all the people she’d lost. Kyle had to have been the closest to her and his death hurt the most. It reminded her of a quote she once saw in a book, it went: Grief doesn’t end, it hardly even recedes. People just lose interest.

She didn’t know what to make of that, but it always made her sad just hearing it. She wanted her grief to end, but she didn’t want to lose interest. Losing interest implied that you forget. This is what occupied her thoughts until she got dressed and prepared to leave.

Maria groaned. “Max called again. He wanted to know where you were and what was taking so long. I told him that you were just taking a moment to unwind and then you would leave.”

“Thanks Maria. I have a feeling that our cell phone bill is going to be extraordinary,” Liz commented, rolling her eyes.

Maria laughed. “I’m glad I’m not you.”

When Liz arrived at the hospital she ran into Dr. Groban. “Your brow is healing nicely,” he commented. “There will barely be any scaring.”

“I’m relieved,” she said. “How about Max? Have you heard much on his recovery? No one likes to tell us much.”

“He’s healing well,” he replied. “The only problem is his legs. It seems unlikely that he’ll able to use them again but Liz, don’t worry. Anything’s possible. I believe he’ll recover almost fully. He seems like a strong guy and now that he’s come to grips with what’s happened, he’s got a good attitude.”

Liz nodded. “Thank you.”

She apologized for not being able to talk for long because Max was waiting but said she’d love to have coffee some time. “To thank you properly for everything you’re doing for us.”

“Really it’s nothing,” he said.

Max had been rolled over when she got to his room. He was propped up against his pillows, looking rather uncomfortable, but smiling anyway.

“How’s it going?” she asked, putting dinner and their car keys down on the bedside table. “I heard a nurse muttering angrily about you as she left. Are you harassing the poor ladies?”

“Me, nooo,” he said and lifted his chin to give her a kiss hello. “Hmm you smell nice…”

She chuckled. “That’s the food. Are you hungry?”

“I could be. How was the apartment?”

“Out of our price range,” she replied, taking a seat. “But nice. Very, very nice.”

“I bet we could afford it. I need a palace after that last hole we lived it. God…sweetness would you just…bend over me so I can see down your shirt?”

“What?” she asked in shock and then laughed. “No!”

“Come on, I’m dying here.” He reached for her arm and tugged her to her feet. “Please…that Playboy magazine just isn’t doing it for me. I need the to see the twins.” He winked before giving her a salacious grin.

Liz rolled her eyes and laughed. She supposed he did deserve a treat, so she leaned over him, giving him a good view down her v-necked sweater. “I can’t believe I’m doing this. You’re such a sleaze, you know that?”

“Hmm…do I look like I care? Come here, come closer.” His hand rose to cup her left breast and he started to massage her nipple through her bra…

“Max…” she said warningly, moving away slightly—unsure this was a good idea.

“Come on,” he arched his head up further and pressed his lips to crease of her breasts. He darted his tongue out and…

Suddenly the nurse walked in with an extra blanket and Liz jumped away quickly. The nurse apologized and with a red face, left hurriedly.

Max had the biggest grin on his face. “Well at least they’ll knock from now on.”

“Oh,” Liz said, shaking her head.

“Come here…” he said, motioning to her with his needy fingers.

“I don’t think so!” she cried. “Here, have something to eat.”

“Oh man,” he sighed. “When am I coming home? I’m starting to hate it here.”

“Soon, Max, soon.”

“Wait, do we even have a home?” He looked toward his wife questioningly. “I don’t care what apartment you find. Just buy it. Anything will be better than our last apartment.”

Liz filled up his plate and then handed it to him. “You know what we need? Wine. I haven’t had any wine in a little while…”

“Wine and morphine, if that doesn’t kill me at least my horniness will.”

Liz smiled at her husband’s frustration. “Are you on Morphine right now?”

“Yes.”

“Can’t take a little pain?” she teased. “What a baby.”

“Look you,” he said, his mouth full with food, “when you get shot in the back three times we’ll just see how well you cope with it.”

“I won’t sulk as much as you do,” she continued teasing.

Liz stayed at the hospital until the end of visiting hours when she was asked to leave.

Max whined, “Oh please don’t go…”

“Where would I sleep?” she asked, pulling on her coat.

“On top of me,” he said devilishly.

“Oh that would be great for your back.” She put their plastic plates in the trash and the grabbed her keys. “Do you think you can refrain from calling me six times tomorrow?”

“Um, no?” he said. “This place is so boring, you need to be a little more understanding I think. Give me a kiss,” he added, “A long one.”

She gave him a searing kiss that ratcheted his sexual frustration up another notch. He wrapped his arms around her in reaction refusing to let her go. The moment was very tender and sweet. “I want to sleep next to you,” she whispered. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too,” he said back, leaving his lips against hers. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too,” she replied rubbing her nose against his.

“Will you visit in the morning?” he asked with a pout.

“I’ll see what I can do. Sleep well, my love.”

“You too, sweetheart.”

~*~

Hello! I managed to find time inbetween my exams to get this out to you. I wish I could write more often, I miss it so much! Oh well, three exams done, two to go! Hope you liked this, I wanted a break from all the action for one part haha, needed some fluff.

Take care everyone,
~nicola
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Twenty-Six

When Max finally came home, there was a lot of adjusting to do. Not only for him, but Liz too. She didn’t have any experience with wheelchairs and even before they’d left the hospital she’d accidentally rammed his legs into several corners while trying to steer.

They joked with the doctor that he would be back again by the end of the day with even more damage done to him.

Despite how much they’d both wanted—they weren’t going home to a new apartment. For now it was Liz’s parent’s house because it had the best wheel chair access.

As much as Max liked Liz’s parents he couldn’t bring himself to like the idea of living with them. There would be some perks—Mrs Parker’s cooking for one—but their bedroom was right next door and the walls were paper thin. He wouldn’t be able to relax there, he could never relax anywhere but his own home.

Even with his strong, muscular arms, Max got fed up having to wheel himself around. He hated not being able to stand up and reach for things on the shelf when he needed them. He wasn’t allowed to start physio-therapy on his legs for at least another two weeks just in case he re-opened his back wounds.

On his first night home, after he’d managed to lift himself onto their bed, he watched as Liz got changed into her nightclothes and suddenly felt a dull—but infuriating—humming of pain in his chest. He opened his mouth and then dropped his head and shook it from side to side. With difficulty, he said, “You know what I’m going to miss most about not being able to use my legs?” she looked up from her night gown and stared at him with devastated eyes. “Dancing with you.”

She bit her lip. “Really?”

“Yeah,” he nodded seriously.

She came and got in beside him and they lay down together. Liz made sure to help him shift his legs so that he was comfortable.

“It’s time you told me about Constance, Liz,” he said while stroking her hair. He was in a very stern mood and Liz knew she wasn’t going to get away with shrugging off his questions anymore. “It’ll feel better for both of us once we’ve talked about it.”

“What if it won’t?” she argued, rolling onto her back so he couldn’t see her sadness. “It’s not an easy thing to think about and I know you’ll be plagued by her as much as I am once you know.”

“You think I’m not already?” he asked. “She shot me Liz. That’s hard enough to deal with…and you, you were trapped with her for a whole night.”

Liz closed her eyes so she wouldn’t cry.

“You know what plagues me the most?” he continued. “That I’d promised you that I’d always be there to protect you from her and I wasn’t.”

Liz was a little resentful about that too. She knew it was insane to be annoyed at him, but she couldn’t help it. She had relied on him—too much. “Seeing you get shot,” she said, “was the most horrifying thing I’ve ever experienced. Nothing else that happened that evening was worse then your expression when the gun went off.”

Max took her hand in his and brought it up to his lips.

“The sudden realization,” she whispered—seeing his face behind her closed lids. “The sudden realization that she was behind you and that it was too late to run, you were already falling. Your face just went white. I saw it physically go white.”

Max remembered. He shuddered and tucked his chin in close to her shoulder.

“That was the worst thing,” she continued.

“I can imagine what that would have done to you,” he said. The aching in his chest intensified when he thought of Liz, suddenly alone with her worst nightmare. The thought was his worse nightmare.

She told him how they’d fought over the gun and how she’d made Constance call the ambulance. It was hard for her to continue after they’d left the apartment.

“Where did you go?” Max asked, trying to push her forward. “Where did she take you?”

Liz breathed in loudly and then told him.

“What did you do when you got there?”

That’s when Liz started to sob and couldn’t stop. She sat up and turned her back to him, covering her face with her hands. “I don’t want to tell you,” she said in-between sobs. “It’s too humiliating.”

Max sat up too and put his hand on her shoulder. “Sweetness, I won’t think any differently of you. Nothing that happened was your choice.”

She shuddered. “I’m ashamed because…you know how you thought I’d found the idea of her coming onto me…of her…appealing?”

“Yes,” he nodded. “We were just joking around.”

“She made me undress,” Liz suddenly spat out. “Completely.”

“Oh Liz…” he wrapped his arms around her from behind and buried his face in sweet-smelling neck.

“She never got to…do anything.”

“Oh thank God.”

Liz shuddered again. “But the way she looked at me Max. I felt like vomiting. I’ve never felt such repulsion…”

He breathed in. “What happened next?”

She managed to tell him about the fisherman arriving and then being trapped in the closet. He listened intently, stroking her and being as supportive as possible.

It was very late when she finally got to the part where she escaped. Both of them were mentally exhausted and fell into a deep sleep—not waking up until late the next morning.

“How are you feeling?” he asked when she opened her eyes. He’d been awake longer and had been watching her sleep.

She breathed in deeply and rubbed her eyes. “I’m okay. Are you comfortable?”

“Comfortable as can be,” he replied.

Liz went to the toilet and discovered that her parents had gone out. She looked throughout the house for them but they were no where to be found. She went back to bed.

“What no breakfast in bed?” Max asked, seeing her return.

“No but I’ll give you something else in bed.” She slid her warm hand across his lower stomach and in response he smiled and reached down, covering her hand with his.

They kissed passionately and Liz helped Max shift so he was on top of her. He thought it was important that he reacquainted himself with every nook and cranny of her body because it felt like he hadn’t been with her in forever. Liz smiled and let him do what he wished to her, with every part of himself.

In between kisses that he was placing on her bare shoulders he asked, “Who knows when we’ll get the chance again? Your parents hardly ever leave the house.”

“Hmm…true…” Liz ran her fingers through his hair. She loved doing that.

Max moved his kisses lower so that he was covering her breasts and stomach. His hands were on her thighs, gently stroking up and down and causing a tingling sensation in-between her legs.

Max didn’t mention the slight discomfort in his back—he ignored it. Liz thought that maybe he was sore but didn’t want to suffocate him with her endless demands to know if he was alright.

She rubbed his erection up and down very slowly and teasingly, wanting to drive him insane. She could tell it was working because his breathing pattern changed, speeding up slightly, same with his heart beat.

When he entered her, they both revelled in the feeling. There was nothing that quite compared to joining their bodies in the most intimate way. They were careful not to strain Max’s back too much and ended up having Liz lying on top.

She moved, trying not to put too much weight on him, but also trying to please him immensely. She was very light so she didn’t affect Max’s back so badly. When they were both finished they got out of bed and prepared to visit the office.

“Are you sure you want to go today?” Liz asked. “We don’t have to go so early…”

“I want to go,” he answered surely. “It’s very important. I’ll go insane if I don’t do something productive soon.”

Everyone at the office had heard Max was coming back today so they were all waiting when he was finally wheeled out of the elevator. As soon as they saw him, they all put their hands together and clapped loudly. It wasn’t just for Max, but for Liz also—who stood behind him speechless.

Max was nearly brought to tears…there was a large WELCOME BACK sign with a delicious looking chocolate cake. Everyone came to shake his hand and personally greet him.

“Thank God,” Fay said, giving him a hug. She whispered in his ear, “I was about to pummel Penelope with a brick. I’m so glad you’re back.”

“I’m glad I’m back too,” he replied.

Harry Carmichael had stopped by too. “You know what this is?” he asked, once the two of them were alone.

“What is it?” Max asked.

“Respect.” Harry put his hand on Max’s shoulder. “You’ve been in charge for how long? Everyone here loves you—almost as much as Liz does.”

Max laughed. “I’m not sure you’re quite right about that.”

“Max…” he said. “You see why you got my job?”

Max didn’t say anything.

“You see why I didn’t give it to Penelope?” Harry gave his shoulder a pat before letting go. “I haven’t regretted my decision once. I’ll rest easy at night until the day I die.”

“Thank you Harry.”

“I’m going to get cake.”

“Okay.”

~*~

Without listening to the Doctors warnings, Max continuously attempted standing on his own when no one was looking. Liz caught him once and gave him a yelling that he would never forget.

It didn’t stop him though. He didn’t care about the two weeks he was supposed to wait; all he cared about was over coming his inability to walk. He continued trying to stand and one day before he was supposed to start therapy—while in his office—he managed to balance on his legs without holding onto anything. It didn’t last long but it gave him a surge of hope that he hadn’t felt since he’d been shot.

He didn’t tell Liz, knowing she’d just get mad, but he did tell his first physio therapist. They said this was a good sign but reminded him of the risks of pushing himself before he was ready.

He went through three physio therapists before he found one that he could actually handle. The other three, he claimed, didn’t give an inch whether he walked again or not and therefore weren’t dedicated to the cause enough to satisfy his requirements.

He made very good progress and eventually he could stand up and reach for things—on his own! He couldn’t have a shower though, which he longed to do, because he couldn’t remain on his feet so long without becoming sore and exhausted. His therapist, Penny, was very helpful and every session they worked on moving his legs once he’d stood up.

It was just before Christmas when he and Liz finally found the perfect apartment. It was newly built—no previous tenants—and they quickly leased it before it could be snapped up by anyone else. Max would have no trouble getting up stairs because of the large elevator and the double-door entrance way was also very convenient.

Although, Max didn’t plan on having his wheel-chair for much longer. He began reading self-motivating books and other people’s success stories. Everyday he woke up and thought: I’m going to walk today. He got disgruntled easily but managed to overcome his bad moods.

They moved into their apartment straight away, wanting to be in there before Christmas (and wanting to get away from the lack of privacy at Liz’s parents house). It was very hard, but they managed to go back to their old apartment and pack up their furniture and other belongings. Their clothing and necessities were already at Liz’s parents so they didn’t have too much to worry about.

The new apartment had beautiful large windows overlooking the busy city. It seemed to be all space—the rooms were huge with high ceilings. Max was the one to decorate most of it—he was surprisingly good at capturing both of their tastes—but Liz did the office. “I need the right atmosphere to write in,” she explained.

“Just paint nudes on the walls,” he said with a grin.

“Haha. But seriously, I haven’t written in the longest time,” she complained. “My readers will forget about me if I don’t get something published soon.”

“I think it would be very hard to forget a writer like you Liz.”

They spent Christmas morning together, exchanging presents from each other and opening what they’d received from other people. They made love on the couch and then went to lunch with family. That night was a Christmas party and Tess’s.

As he sat in the corner (with Liz on his lap) watching everyone dance, Max once again had a burst of determination. He’d walk at New Years. He’d have to.

~*~

Poor Christine is sick! I hope this is still okay even though I haven't had her to beta read it. Only a couple more (if not one) part to go! Man I'm going to miss this fic!

Hope you liked,
Nicola

Drea, that's so cute about your husband and you!!! Awwww
nicola
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nicola »

Conclusion

For Christmas Liz got Max a beautiful walking stick. It was dark polished wood with an elegant handle. It had an engraving on its end that said:

Thank you for surviving

You are my superman.

Love,

Liz

It touched his heart when she gave it to him. She explained that she had all the hope in the world that he would walk again and this was a symbol of that hope.

Her words meant so much and now the need to walk intensified. He was lying in their bed a couple of days before New Years with the morning sun coming in through the windows; he stared at the walking stick leaning against their wardrobe door. Liz was breathing softly beside him, deep in sleep.

Perhaps he could walk over there and get it, he thought? With only two days to go he felt time was running out. He shifted and tried to sit up but Liz, as if she unconsciously knew what he was trying to do, tightened her grip on him and moaned in her sleep.

He tugged away more roughly and succeeded in waking her up. Just as he was positioning himself on the side of the bed she asked, rather grumpily, “Max what are you doing?”

“Going to get my walking stick…” he wouldn’t let her affect his concentration.

She mumbled. “Lie down. Give it a rest for a moment, yeah?” Her eyes remained closed but when he attempted to stand she reached up and tugged his arm. He fell back onto the mattress.

What?” he asked with annoyance.

“Lie down and snuggle with me, don’t be in such a hurry to…,” she yawned, “…I don’t know move…” Her fingers stroked his arm languidly.

Max sighed and laid back down, shifting back under the covers. “I want to walk,” he said. “I want to walk now.”

She kissed his cheek. “No you don’t, you want to snuggle with me.”

He grunted.

While they lay there, basking in the morning sunlight and enjoying each other’s company Liz said, “Honey, I think that you need to forget this whole idea of walking before New Year’s. In the long run it’s not going to be beneficial, even Penny says so. You have to take things slowly. Why don’t you, as a New Year’s resolution, think: I will walk this year, rather than I will walk now and hurt myself.” When he didn’t say anything she added, “Wouldn’t you rather walk for the rest of your life rather than just now?”

He decided not to answer that.

“Roll over,” she requested, “I want to look at your back.”

His wounds had healed quite well. They were still scabbing in some places but were mostly transforming into scars. Liz gently ran her fingers over them and then leaned down to kiss the back of his neck.

“Do they still hurt?”

“Only occasionally.” He wasn’t going to tell her that sometimes he still felt a painful jolt when he attempted standing. It was a small price to pay.

They were on holiday until the third of January but he wished they weren’t. He felt like he’d had too much time off already and knew lazing around (like they were doing a lot of lately) wouldn’t do him any good. Liz needed a break…but he didn’t.

He’d told her this and she replied that she needed him on her break so that she didn’t get bored out of her skull.

“I would have thought you’d want to catch up on your writing?” he asked.

“I can do that later, I have plenty of time,” she replied.

When she went to get out of bed but he grabbed her. “What? Where are you going?”

She looked down at him. “I’m getting up. Having a shower…getting dressed…you know, joining the world?"

“No you aren’t,” he argued. “You stopped me from getting up and now I’m stopping you. I’m not finished with you yet.”

“You’re ‘not finished with me?’” she smirked. He tried to tug her down for a kiss but she shook her head. “Oh Max…I haven’t brushed my teeth!”

“So?”

“Let me just go and—”

“You’re not going anywhere,” he said forcefully. When he saw her displeasure he rolled his eyes. “Oh look…there’s gum on the dresser.”

She went and had a piece and gave him one.

“Am I allowed to kiss you now?” he asked.

She smiled and bent forward. “Kiss away…”

~*~

Liz decided to go to a few therapy sessions with a woman that Isabel had recommended. Once or twice she’d woken up when Max was kissing her and instead of seeing his cheeky grin she’d see Constance’s grim expression. It was only for a moment, but it would leave her shaken and made Max worry about her even more.

She knew nothing could help her with her nightmares—she’d have to grow out of them on her own—but it was comforting to have someone hear her fears. Someone who wasn’t experiencing them themselves, like Max was.

Sometimes it was hard for her to remember that she’d undergone an ordeal as well. All of her attention was focused on Max and his continuous attempts at walking. No matter what she said she could not get him to take it easy. It was troubling for her to think that he might damage himself further.

It was January and they were back at work and she was sitting in her office, staring at her lap top screen. She was thinking about Kyle and the morning he died at the hospital with his family. She often thought about that because of how close she’d been to Kyle. Right now it was brought to mind because she’d seen Hannah that morning.

She was coping on her own but there was sadness in her that couldn’t be hidden. It had been a delightful surprise for everyone when she found out she was pregnant. Now she had a little piece of Kyle that would always be with her.

Liz still felt responsible for his death; she had since that morning at the hospital, which now felt like so long ago. Her guilt was something that she was working on with her therapist. However…that was another thing she didn’t think she’d ever loose.

Unwillingly, Liz remembered Constance being at the hospital that morning. Obviously she’d been lying about why she was there, but Liz still found it strange that she’d even come in the first place. Perhaps to make sure Kyle died.

Liz thought this with a shudder, but nevertheless thought it. She wouldn’t put it past Constance to do something like that.

It was when she was recalling their conversation that Liz had a shocking realization. She shot up from her desk and went running towards Max’s office—past her new male secretary. He was busy with clients but he excused himself to speak to her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, looking up at her from his wheel chair.

“Constance practically told me she killed him,” she started to hyperventilate. “At the hospital…when Kyle died. I ran into her, she said: ‘People recover from bullet wounds all the time’ but I never told her Kyle had been shot. I know I didn’t! How could I not have thought of that before? I’m so stupid!”

“She said that?” he asked with surprise.

“Yes!” Liz put her head in her hands. “Oh my God! If I’d just realized…”

“Liz,” Max shook his head. “Don’t do this. You can’t beat yourself up about this. So what? You didn’t realize and it doesn’t matter because it’s trivial. It’s all over now.”

“I can’t believe how stupid I am though.”

“You were worried about Kyle,” he said. “Of course you didn’t realize.”

Liz went back to her office, feeling dejected. She couldn’t believe it. Her anger for Constance grew and she cursed. The sooner she was tried and sentenced the better.

When it was time to go home, Liz passed by Max’s office to pick him up. He wasn’t finished when she was, but because she was still terrified of being home alone she waited for him and they left together. They stopped at the post office to get their mail—no mail came to their apartment anymore, they only gave out a PO box number—and then they went to the supermarket. What used to be a fun trip to the grocery store became a melancholy affair. Max, who usually made Liz laugh with his childish antics, stayed in the car as his wife went shopping. It was no longer simple to simply get up and go. They always had his disability to worry about.

At home she made dinner while he read the paper and they ate.

Life was certainly back to normal, in as much of a way as it could be. However, it still felt like they were holding their breath in anticipation. This wouldn’t go away until Max walked and Constance was sentenced to life in prison.

~*~

Liz was dressed in a pair of white boy-cut briefs and a baggy pink tank top while she dusted and cleaned. Max smiled as he watched her.

She noticed the paperwork he’d abandoned on their large dinning table and sat down to have a look. While she was reading she picked up his unfinished donut and began licking the icing off its top.

“I see you’ve already abandoned the sexy-single woman façade,” he said to announce his presence. “I suppose now that we’re married I’ll be seeing a lot of those attractive underpants.”

She barely looked up and distantly replied, “On laundry day you will.”

He waited for her to turn and see him properly. It took a while but when she did she let out a startled gasp. “Oh my God!” she said. “Max get back in your chair!”

“I don’t need it anymore,” he replied. To prove it he stepped forward—while leaning on his walking stick—and then he shifted the other foot forward. His movement’s were slow and stiff but he got better with every step. Slowly he made his way towards her and when they were face to face he saw that she was crying.

“Since when?” she said. “Now?”

“A couple of times at physio,” he answered. “What do you think? Good yeah?”

“Not good!” she cried, getting up and throwing her arms around him. “Amazing!”

From then on Max walked as often as possible, relying on his wheelchair less and less. He’d always have a limp and he’d always need his walking stick but that didn’t matter. It was a big enough blessing to be able to get around on his own.

When Constance’s trial began a lot of it was televised. Max was obsessed with following it and was in court every day.

Liz however, could not bear to watch. She simply refused to have any part in it apart from when it was absolutely vital for her to be involved. On the one day she saw Constance she went into hysterics and had to be consoled.

When it was finally over Max was the one to come and tell her the sentence. She was sitting in the park on a bench, staring across a pond. He silently took a seat next to her and then reached out and took her hands.

She looked at him with tearful eyes and tried to smile. “Did the reporters give you hell?”

“Oh yeah,” he nodded. “Wanted to know how I felt. What I was going to do now. Wanted to know where you were. All that.”

She nodded. “Good publicity for the firm I suppose.”

“Liz,” Max said calmly. “She’s never going to bother us every again. She’s never going to bother anyone ever again.”

She knew what that meant. Her eyes brimmed with tears and she flew into his arms, sobbing with happiness. He hugged her back and kissed her head, buried his face in her hair.

When they pulled away and wiped their tears they were silent for a long time, staring out across the pond together.

The sky was a cool pastel blue and the sunshine felt warm on their skin. The park was full of activity.

However, everything felt absolutely calm for the two of them. There were no ripples in the water and no grey clouds on the horizon.

The war had ended and there was nothing left but peace and happiness.

~*~

Hey guys! Yes I finally wrote it! You've got to bear with me because conclusions...well every writer knows how hard and horrible they are to write. I just cannot do it well so hopefully it wasn't too shocking.
Thank you for thinking this fic was good enough to vote for it in 'Most suspenseful fanfic'. It was such a nice present for me!

Thank you again!
Take care,
~nicola