Nice To Meet You Anyway(AU,M/L,Mature) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

Max's POV

I've finished frantically tidying my house. Not that it wasn't tidy in the first place, but I needed something to keep me busy before Liz arrives.

After all this time, she wants to talk. Not only that, but she's coming over. I don't know why, I don't care right now as long as I can see her.

I dream about her at night, she's in my thoughts but nothing is compared to seeing her in real life. The only thing I have close is the MTV Diary of... thing that we did together. To hear her voice and see her laugh...I don't know how many times I've watched that just to see her again.

My door bell rings.
My heart stops for a few seconds and then pounds violently against my ribcage. I run my fingers through my hair, straighten my t-shirt and jeans before rushing to the door. I swing it open to find her standing there with a surprised smile on her face.
"Hi," her greeting comes out as a sweet pleasant drawl.

"Hi," I greet her mirroring her smile.

I just stand there and drink her in. Her hair frames her face in loose curls warmed by the sun. Her lips are lusciously glazed, she's in a simple top and jeans but she breathtaking.

"You gonna let me in?" she asks.

"Um, yeah sure."

I step aside and let her in wiping my sweaty palms against my jeans while I'm at it.

"Oh, do you mind locking your door?" she asks.

Odd request but what's a locked door in the big scheme of things?

"Sure," I tell her.

I lock the door, turn back to find her standing in my living room. I don't know what she wants, why she's here, so I don't say anything, I just stand there watching her, watching me.
There's something in her eyes...wait it is her eyes, they're a shade darker than they usually are.
Why is that?

"Thing is Max, I didn't really come here to reconcile or anything."

She didn't?

"No. I came here for closure for both of us. I don't really need you to say anything..."

I'm getting the nasty sense of deja vu.

"…I just need you to kind of go with the flow," she finishes.

"What flow would that be?" I ask.

"See Max. You keep sending me these gifts and flowers. We can't move on till you stop and you can't stop because you think you're in love with me."

How many times do I have say it till she believes me?

"I am," I tell her.

"No. I'm a challenge. We've been dancing around this since we met, let's just get it done."

She’s looking at me expectantly and I have no idea what she’s talking about.

"Liz, you've lost me," I tell her.

"Let's have sex."

Air quickly rushes out of my lungs.
What?
Did she just?

"Did you just say..."

She nods. "Yes I did. It's the only way that you'll move on and I need you to move on so that I can move on. You with me?".

No I’m not with you.
This is not like Liz. This is crazy.

"Are you drunk? high?" I ask.

"That used to be my line,” she grins nostalgically, “but no, I am totally sober. So take off your shirt."

"What? no!".

"There's no reason to be shy," she tells me.

I’m not shy, I’m just…

"Liz, I will not take off my shirt," I tell her.

She shrugs. "Fine". And starts to lift up her top.

"Woah!". I am in front of her in a flash pulling her top back down. "What are you doing? are you crazy?!".

"No. I'm completely within the boundaries of sanity," she replies calmly. Stepping away from me, she adds, "It's just, I've got a rule: For every piece of clothing you don't take off, I will. So take off the shirt."

I'm too bewildered to move.

She just shrugs and before I know it, her top is off and I'm staring at Liz Parker, loose curls on naked skin, in a bra and jeans.

Woah.
All rational thought flees.
She’s perfect.

"What's the matter Evans? You've never seen breasts in a bra before?" she asks.

I open my mouth to reply but I’m speechless. I can’t move because if I do, I definitely won’t be thinking.

"Shirt," she orders me.

I'm still not moving.

"I guess the bra's coming of-"

"Okay!". I whip off my shirt.
Not that I don’t want to see Liz Parker bra-less, it’s just that if I do, I won’t be able to stop myself.

She walks up and inspects my chest. I shiver under her fingers trailing my skin.

"Nice." She steps away from me. "Jeans."

I hesitate.

"Okay." She unbuttons her jeans.

I should really say something, do something to make her stop, but I can’t.

She steps out of her jeans. I am now staring at Liz Parker in bra and briefs…sexy blue bra and briefs.

"Liz," I whisper. She inches towards me. I’m desperately clinging to whatever restraint I have left, but she’s making this very hard.

"Max," she says in a teasing voice. Then, completely surprising me, she leaps hitching herself up, wrapping her legs around my waist.
I stumble back, holding onto her to keep her from falling.
Skin to skin contact slows my brain functioning down, wwaaay down.

She presses her forehead against mine. Our eyes are locked. There’s no way I can escape.

"We're both consenting adults,” tells me in a highly arousing husky voice. “You want me, I want you. What's there to argue against?".

I open my mouth to give her a reason, which gives her the opportunity to fuse our lips together.
I automatically grant her tongue entrance into my mouth.
I was fully prepared to say no to Liz half-dressed.
I'm not prepared to say no to the Liz who's kissing me. Who I'm kissing back and who is burning up every cell in my body.

"You tested?" she asks as she nibbles on my ear.

Oh God that feels good.

I nod. "Results came back a month ago. I'm clean."

Her lips find mine again. "Good to know."

My hands roam her back, her neck, her hair. I crave everything about her I touch. I stifle back a moan as she grazes her teeth against my neck.

"Where did you learn that?" I breath.

Laughing, she continues her magnificent work. "Just because I haven't been all the way with Noah or Alex, doesn’t mean I'm a virgin at foreplay.”

She's a virgin, that thought computes.
I can't...

The thought fizzles away as her fingers cup the painfully hard area inside my jeans.

"Let's go to my bedroom," I manage before dancing with her tongue.

"No. You've taken your randoms there. I like it..." she arches into me as lips taste her throat. "…I like it here."

I lean back- wait lean back?
It's then that I realise that we're on the sofa, with Liz on top of me. She has better access to my zip now. Her body is so beautiful, her skin so soft. I want her, I want all of her.

It's the only way that you'll move on and I need you to move on so that I can move on. You with me?".
The memory of her words pulls me out of the haze.

"Liz," I stop her. "We can't do this. I lov-"

A kisses me into momentary silence. "Don't say it. You don't mean it."

Desire and stubborn indignation roar within me. I want her to see it in my eyes, hear it in my voice.

"I mean it,” I tell her. “I won't just have sex with you. I want to make love to you."

She sits up suddenly. It’s like a bucket of cold water has been poured over her. "Okay." She climbs off me.

In desperate need to recapturing lost control, I sit there and watch her gather her clothes and put them on.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

She pulls on her top. "Leaving." She pats my knee on her way to the door. "Your loss Evans."

She's walking out. She's leaving me.
This is my last chance, after this, she's not coming back. I know that.
When she walks out of that door, it's over. I can't just let this be it.
If one night is all she'll give me...I'll take it.

Liz's POV

I don’t know how I manage to walk, my knees feel like they’ll give at any second, my body is craving him and I’m walking away. This is it though, I’ve done what I came to do. It went further than I anticipated but that wasn’t a bad thing.

I turn the door knob, open the door only to have it slam back shut.
I feel him breathing heavily beside me. I stare at the door for a few seconds, afraid to look at him. I can feel his eyes on me, fervently searching me. I meet them head on...and I wish I didn’t because now, I know that I'm not going home tonight.

AN: I was going to leave it there, but I just had to add a little bit of the morning after to kick the next phase of this fic off....

Liz's POV

I quietly unlock my the door, step in and slowly close it behind me.
I'm sneaking into my own house after a night of rampant sex...no I'd be lying if that's all it was.
It was more than that. Max Evans and I, amongst other things, made love last night.
Then in the early hours of this morning, I sneaked out of his house and back into mine. Why? Because it was enough, because it's over. I'm done. I'm good. I'm ready to move on.
I just need to take a shower, get some sleep, when stores are open hunt around for the morning-after pill and I should be ready to...do whatever.

Max's POV

Something stirs me out of sleep, I don't know what it is but, when I open my eyes and find a note next to me, I wish I'd ignored whatever it was and stayed in my dream world with my Liz.
But no, I'm up and holding a note with two words on it.

Thanks
- Liz

There's a hollow feeling inside of me I've never felt before. As the world I'd built in my head last night burns around me, I finally understand what everyone's been telling me I have no concept of.
I understand how Liz must have felt when I told her about those randoms I slept with, while all the while being in love with me.
I understand the pain I put her through when I left her at the premiere and on that fateful Thursday night.
I understand why my declaration of love, my flowers and gifts only hurt her.
I understand why I can't fix this.
I understand what I've never had the capacity to understand before, because I've never done what I did last night before.
I gave Liz Parker all of me, my mind, my body, my soul and my heart as she did to me.
In loving me, as I had done last night, she had given a huge part of herself to me. And I had turned around and hurt her.

Thanks
- Liz

And now, we're over.
I understand why I can't tell her that I love her and expect her to accept it.
I get it now, I finally get it.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, here's the next part...

P.S. the * sign indicates the line I borrowed from Sweet November

PREVIOUSLY

Max's POV

Something stirs me out of sleep, I don't know what it is but, when I open my eyes and find a note next to me, I wish I'd ignored whatever it was and stayed in my dream world with my Liz.
But no, I'm up and holding a note with two words on it.

Thanks
- Liz

There's a hollow feeling inside of me I've never felt before. As the world I'd built in my head last night burns around me, I finally understand what everyone's been telling me I have no concept of.
I understand how Liz must have felt when I told her about those randoms I slept with, while all the while being in love with me.
I understand the pain I put her through when I left her at the premiere and on that fateful Thursday night.
I understand why my declaration of love, my flowers and gifts only hurt her.
I understand why I can't fix this.
I understand what I've never had the capacity to understand before, because I've never done what I did last night before.
I gave Liz Parker all of me, my mind, my body, my soul and my heart as she did to me.
In loving me, as I had done last night, she had given a huge part of herself to me. And I had turned around and hurt her.

Thanks
- Liz

And now, we're over.
I understand why I can't tell her that I love her and expect her to accept it.
I get it now, I finally get it.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 12

Liz's POV

"Mmmm...". His kisses trail down my throat.

"Let's go to my room," he whispers in my ear.

"No." I stop him.
How many girls have been up there?
"One of your spare rooms," I tell him.

He lifts me up, carrying me in his arms as he walks up the stairs. His eyes bore adoringly into mine.
"Whatever you want Liz".

I wake up smiling. Last night was something.
I am beyond sore, but I don't mind because I know why.
I grab a drink before heading out to get the morning after pill. It's an effort to track down where to get it on a Sunday afternoon but with the help of my doctor, I do.

The lack of latex was my fault entirely. I have no idea what came over me, actually, I do. All the pent up passion I had for Max, was unleashed and I became this wanton, fearless woman.
He had no chance, especially after he told me that there'd been no-one else after the Stephanie episode.
That's one thing I love about Max, he tells me the truth even if it hurts me. Luckily, this time it didn't, it only increased my passion for him. I didn't give him a chance to put on a condom - which was stupid the first time and beyond stupid the five times after. Thank God for the morning after pill.

My cell rings as I slip the saviour pill into my bag and head towards my car. I glance at my caller-id.

Oops, forgot all about Quinn.

"Hey," I greet him.

"Guess where I am? Your house. And guess where you're not? Here!"".

I bite back a smile. Quinn isn't used to be being left waiting. "I'm sorry, had to do a quick errand. I'll be there in fifteen," I tell him.

"You're lucky you're so damn cute Parker," he grudgingly tells me.

"Don't I know it," I smile.

Quinn and I get stuck into our script, but I manage to stealthily pop the pill.

There, done and dusted.
I'm perfect now. My life can go on.
Before returning my attention back to work, I make a note to call Alex to discuss the nature of our relationship.

The next day, I receive a delivery of a dozen white roses with a card.
My balloon of happiness is nearly deflated until I read the card.

Always
- Max

I smile. I know I won't be getting anymore.
He gets it. It's too late, but he finally understands.

I replace the flowers in the kitchen with this new batch.

I should feel sad or be in pain that we're not together, but I'm not. I'm actually at peace because I've slowly come to realise that love, like life, is a journey; a journey of many loves which ends at a place where I'm content.

With Noah, we had the gift of being each other's first loves. I love him still, but we grew on.

With Max...I love him, always will, but we can't be together, we're still too different. I guess that's why I gave him my virginity...my gift to him.

Alex. I love Alex. When we dated the first time around, we were in different places in our lives for us to have a future. Apart from each other, we grew into the people we are now and we found each other again. This time, we're both ready for a future.
We're taking it slow since he thinks I'm still recovering from Max, but that's a minor point, the major one is the fact that we have a future together. He's my soulmate, always will be.

There's another knock on my, this time, I know who it is. I grab my bag and put on my jacket. I open the door to be greeted by his loving hazel eyes.

"Hey." He kisses me on the cheek.

He's handling me gently. Still thinking I'm going to break. I'll have to show him how to kiss a girl good morning sometime.

"You ready to go?" he asks.

"Yep." I accept his awaiting hand and in it, I'm content.

Max's POV

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains my sense as though of hemlock I had drunk

Keats. Ode to Nightingale.
It's strange, I haven't thought of that poem in a long time, but suddenly, I hear it in the back of my mind during my every waking minute. That's me, that's what I've been feeling for the past week since Liz and I made love.

I look into her eyes before introducing her to pleasures she's never known. This is my gift to her, but before I do, I have to tell her. She has to know why I'm doing this.

"Liz I-".
She silences me with a deeply torturous soul awakening kiss.

She sees it in my eyes, what I feel, what I think, the words she won't let me say. I know she does.

I've been hounded by memories of her. I don't sleep in my room anymore, I sleep in the room we made love. The room where we talked about everything apart from how we felt about each other or what would happen afterwards.
For a night, I had the love of my life, my best friend and lover utterly and completely open to me.

She showed me what I was losing, what added wholeness was.
I keep the note she left me next to a picture I have of us, doing nothing special, just laughing.

I can't call her, I can't have my friend back right now. She gave me one gift for the night and left. What I do with it now, is up to me and I've already decided.

She will forever be my always and in the time we're apart, I'll be better. I'll become the man she deserves. I'm not giving up on her, but I understand that she'll give up on me. I don't entertain the idea that we'll never be together, but if we don't, then she's making me into a man worthy of love by someone as special as she is...but I have a feeling that Liz Parker has ruined me for all other women. *

"What did you want to talk about Max?", she asks me.

I'm about to follow step two in the plan Les gave me at the beginning, break up with Tess.

"Us," I tell her.

"What about us?" she asks.

She's been good to me, we've been good together, but I deserve more, so does she.

"Tess, I care about you, a lot, you know that..." I begin.

Her brows burrow confused and questioning. This is hard, but it wouldn't be right if we stayed together. I don't want the life she wants anymore.

"...but we can't be a couple anymore," I finish.

"You're breaking up with me?" she asks in disbelief.

"I am and I'm sorry to do this, but I'm in love with someone else."

"Liz," she says in a low voice.

I nod.

"She's not like you Max, she doesn’t live like us. She doesn't do open relationships," she tells me.

"Neither do I anymore."

Her jaw drops for a moment before she reaches for me. "Neither will I then. Max, I love you, I would give that life up for you."

I shake my head and take a step back, out of her reach. "But you're not Liz. I do love you Tess, but not like I love her."

"Do you think, she'll want you after the lifestyle you've lead?" she attacks angrily.

"Probably not," I reply, "but I can't be with you either."

"You need to find yourself Max, that's fine. I'll give you time," she tells me in a gentle voice.

"It won't help. We're different now Tess." I lean in and kiss her on the cheek before walking away.

"I love you Max!", she calls out.

I turn around to face her. "You love me, but you settled for the open relationship we had. Liz wouldn't have done that, I want that kind of love. I hope you find it too. Goodbye Tess."

I walk out of her house without looking back. I walk onwards now, where I'll end up, I'm not quite sure.
But I know where I'm headed now...where the heart is, I'm going home for something I haven't asked for in a long time, parental advice and guidance.

Liz's POV

"So what's the verdict Doc?" I ask.

Bree McAdams smiles at me from behind her desk. She's been my doctor for three years now, so we've got a casual doctor/patient friendship.

It's not that I didn't believe Max when he said he was disease clean, but you can never be too careful and granted I've been fine for over two months since, but I've been feeling nauseous and tired lately. Then, a few days ago, I felt a flutter in my stomach. That was the final straw, my body is obviously going crazy.

"Your results came back Liz, you don't have any STDs," she answers.

"That's good to know," I tell her gratefully. "So have you found out what's wrong with me yet?" I ask.

"Um yes. Just out of interest, when was the last time you had your period?" she asks.

"Um...gosh, I can't really remember," I answer. "Life's been kind of hectic, I haven't had time to think about that...I guess maybe a few months or so. Why?".

I don't think much of the temporary disappearance of my periods because, when I get busy or my emotions are in uproar, they either get irregular or stop for a while.

"Your results came back with some surprising information," she answers.

"What?".

"You're pregnant," she answers.

The room suddenly recedes in size and there's a shrill sound ringing in my ears.

"I'm-I'mma what?" I stammer.

"You're pregnant."

I laugh quelling the panic rising within me. "No I'm not."

"According to the results you are," she tells me.

My brain begins to function again.
They did tests.
Okay, so this isn't a joke, she's serious.
But still...me, pregnant?

A beat of silence fills the room.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

She looks mildly amused. I don't find this situation particularly amusing.

"A hundred percent," she replies. "You look like you're in shock," she notes.

"I am. I mean, we didn't use protection but I took the morning after pill," I tell her.

"The morning after pill cuts the chances of pregnancy down to 75%. You're one of the 8 out of a 100 women, that get pregnant," she explains.

"That's not common knowledge," I mutter to myself.

I take a moment trying to grasp the idea that I'm pregnant.
What will I tell my parents? Alex, Max?-
Forget that!, I'm pregnant...at 24! It's a little earlier than I expected but...I'm pregnant!

"So I'm pregnant," I tell her as if she didn't know.

"Congratulations," she smiles.

"Thank you."
The nausea makes sense now, so does my slight weight gain and growth in bra size.

"I take it you don't want to abort?" she asks me.

My hand instinctively covers my stomach protectively. "I'm keeping this baby."

I think of Alex and what we have right now and I think of Max whose life these past few months I know nothing about.

"It's just that things are going to be a little complicated," I add. "Can you recommend a good OB-GYN?".

She knows me and what I'm comfortable with, so I trust her judgement.

She grins. "I already set up an appointment with Dr. Thompson downstairs. She's really good and a good friend of mine."

"Thanks Doc," I tell her.

"You're welcome and congratulations again."

I make my way to Dr. Thompson in a daze.
I'm pregnant!!!
I'm carrying a life inside me.
Oh. My. God.

I like Dr. Thompson immediately. We talk for a little while and then everything happens quickly. The next thing I know, I'm looking at an ultrasound of my baby. The sound of his or her heart beating fills the room. Dr. Thompson points out the head, the body, the hands.

"Do you want to know the sex?" she asks.

"Not yet," I answer staring astonished at the screen.

"You're about eight weeks along," she tells me.

I smile ruefully remembering his warm gentle hands all over me. "That would be about right."

I'm having a baby.
I'm having a baby!!!

Dr. Thompson gives me a huge amount of literature to read and we arrange my next check up. I leave with a smile so wide that my mouth hurts, but I can't stop and with a photo and video of the ultrasound scan of my baby.

The baby Max and I made.
I have to tell Alex, I don't quite know what to do about Max, but I wouldn't change this for anything.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, as you've probably noticed we're a lot slimmer, we've been pruned! :D, lol. Thanks for the wonderful feedback, it's great to read your responses to what's going on in this fic.

Here's the next part, but first....
Gaby7tvm wrote: Im sorry, i tried to restrain myself but i just couldnt...i know you will hate me but like a Phsychology student i need to tell you that Max's sister cant give Max a therapy...is against the ethics, and they could take her licence away...is like the basic rule....and the reason that they give you is because the patient is your life too much is part of your personal life so you wouldnt be objective....sorry, im really sorry but i had to talk...dont hate me please...Your story is great...i love it by the way.
I was wondering when someone would point that out, lol. Two of my housemates are psychologists and they did subtly point that out to me, but I'm just making the whole against ethics thing irrevelant in this fic, lol :wink:
linliz68 wrote:When I first read that Alex was the one who saw Max leaving to go into a room with that chick, he could've told Maria or stopped him, himself, but yet he let him go in there and hurt Liz yet again. That's why I was wary of him at first.
Yeah, about Alex...he's a good guy, decent, but he's in love with the same girl as his friend....he's not perfect, they all aren't and what's that saying? all's fair it love... :wink:

linliz68,BelevnDreamsToo - welcome to the fic, glad to hear you're enjoying it.

And if you all were wondering whether Alex knows that Liz and Max slept together...he doesn't....

so on with the fic...

PREVIOUSLY

I like Dr. Thompson immediately. We talk for a little while and then everything happens quickly. The next thing I know, I'm looking at an ultrasound of my baby. The sound of his or her heart beating fills the room. Dr. Thompson points out the head, the body, the hands.

"Do you want to know the sex?" she asks.

"Not yet," I answer staring astonished at the screen.

"You're about eight weeks along," she tells me.

I smile ruefully remembering his warm gentle hands all over me. "That would be about right."

I'm having a baby.
I'm having a baby!!!

Dr. Thompson gives me a huge amount of literature to read and we arrange my next check up. I leave with a smile so wide that my mouth hurts, but I can't stop and with a photo and video of the ultrasound scan of my baby.

The baby Max and I made.
I have to tell Alex, I don't quite know what to do about Max, but I wouldn't change this for anything.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 13

Liz's POV

"Alex, there's something I need to tell you and a few things I need you to do for me," I begin.

"Sure what?" he asks completely unaware that I'm about to jilt his world.

"I'm pregnant with Max's baby," I tell him.

"Right," he nods.

"Inspite of that, I still want us, you and me, to be together," I tell him.

"Right. That's fine," he responds.

"Good...um and also, I know Max is your friend and all, but could ya no tell him that I'm carrying his child for a couple of months?" I ask.

"Sure," he answers.

A beat of silence passes between us. I blink at him, he blinks at me.

"You're not going to do anything I just asked you are you?" I query.

"Nah."

I nod. "Right then."

A heavy defeated sigh escapes my lips. Even in my imagination that doesn't wash. I know what I've decided to do is insane and wrong and very unfair to Max and Alex, but I can't do the right thing. I can't do what people would expect me to do because I cannot go there with Max again, it's too soon.
I'm rebuilding my life and I'm assuming he is too, I can't just drop this on him - not that he would consider the baby as a burden. He'd be over the moon and want to be involved but that's the problem, I'm not ready for him to be involved just yet.

Alex is coming over later tonight, I'm going to tell him then. I'm hoping he'll take it badly at first then be okay with it eventually. He is one of the most understanding, forgiving and patient people I have in my life...I am really pushing it with this, but I have to.

Alex's POV

Liz and I have been together or two months and three days. They've been the best days I've had since the last time she and I were together. Liz does something special to the men she gets involved with. It's like she leaves her imprint on us, makes us need her in our lives. Noah agrees with me, even though he's in a great relationship with someone else and is very much in love with her, Liz still has extra power of him - the Parker magic he calls it.

I'm Alex Charles Whitman and I'm drenched head to toe in Parker magic.
For a while there, I thought Liz and I weren't going to happen. I thought Max would wake up to who she was and change his ways, but he didn't. He lost out on a lot.

She loves him, I know that. I also know that she loves me too. She had to make a choice and Max helped her make it. She could have accepted his flowers, gifts and apologies but she didn't. Instead, she chose me. We took it slow, we still are, but we were at snail's pace at the beginning because I didn't want to be her rebound.

"You're not my rebound," she told me, "You're one of a kind Alex, I would never do that to you."

That was enough for me, but Maria's verdict after days of hounding Liz, that I was definitely not a rebound, was the cherry on the cake.

This whole thing has been strange because Max is my friend and we both know that we're in love with the same woman, yet we don't hate each other. Granted we haven't talked since Liz and I got together, but I know that if we did, we'd be okay because we want each other to be happy and ultimately because Liz chose who she wanted to be with.

My heavy thoughts are brushed aside with the sound of her door bell. In my other hand is a single red rose. Liz has certain requirements when it comes to roses.

"White roses are my general favourite, anyone can give me those. Other roses and flowers? sure, they're great I'll take those, but I don't do red roses," she told me.

She'd been in a very restless mood that day. We'd decided to go out for ice-cream, so that she could walk it off.

"Why?" I asked.

"I've always associated them with love. To me, they mean "I love you". I won't just accept them from anyone. So if you ever give me red rose Alex, you better mean it."

The memory of her playful smile fades into the small smile I see before me now.

"Hey," she greets me.

"Hey." I smile back and just stand there staring at her.

I still can't believe that after all these years, we found each other, that we're together again.
I loved and lost and loved again.
I really lucked out.

"Alex, when's the staring thing going to stop?" she teases.

I know she loves it.

"Here you go my lady." I hand her the rose.

She stares at it then up at me. I don't understand what her eyes are trying to say to me, but I think it's all good.

"Thank you," she says softly accepting it.

I kiss her, slowly and tenderly. Releasing her, I sigh. "I love you."

"I love you too," she says stepping aside to let me in.

I'm making myself at home in her kitchen when she comes in with an apprehensive expression on her face.

I'm by her side immediately.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Alex, there's something I need to tell you. It's...news," she answers.

"Oh."

I'm not sure that I'm going to like this.

She opens her mouth to speak, but ends up closing it again. I'm getting more fearful with each attempt.

"Liz, just tell me. Whatever it is, we'll handle it," I tell her.

"I'm pregnant," she bursts out.

I stare down at her blankly. It's like she just spoke about a foreign concept. I don't quite...she's pregnant?

"but we haven't had..." I trail off as she nods.

"Yeah, but Max and I have."

Kill me why don't you. Just put a bullet through my head.

"I'm pregnant with Max's child," she summarises.

I flinch away from her as if she just burnt me. "You slept with him?!", my voice is a harsh, wounded whisper. "When?".

"Before we got together. I didn't plan on it. I went over to his to get...closure and..."

"You ended up pregnant," I finish.

She nods

I feel sick.

"Does Max know?" I ask.

"You're the first person I've told," she replies.

My head feels like it’s going to explode.

"We've been together for two months. Have you known all this time?!"

"No!. I didn't even think about it. Then when I went to my check up last week, they told me-"

"Last week!!! you've known for a week?!" I shout.

Tears are rolling down her cheeks, my vision is blurred.

I-I don’t know-

"I needed time to think, to figure out what to do!", she explains.

"Really? and what have you figured out?" I ask.
She flinches at my tone. Part of me is sorry to have hurt her but another part is glad because she needs to know how I feel.

"That I love you, that inspite of the baby I still want us-"

"Liz, you're pregnant with my friend's baby!" I yell.

How could there be an us?

I take a deep breath to recompose myself. "You're going to keep it."

I don't expect her to abort it. It's not a Liz thing to do, but I have to hear it.

"I am," she confirms.

I should really walk out now and just leave her, but I can’t.

"You sleep with Max and get with me. Having your cake and eating it too."

"That's not fair,” she protests.

I feel like she just slapped me.

"Fair?! You're destroying all the dreams and plans I had for us! How‘s that for fair?!".

"I know you hate me right now-"

"Liz!”, I shout her name in exasperation. “I could never hate you. That's why I'm so angry and hurt right now. I love you too much!!".

"I love you too."
I throw my hands up in the air in helpless defeat. "What do you want me to do with this?" I ask.

"I want you to accept it in time, I want you to still want us and…I don't want you to tell Max."

My eyes narrow at her in disbelief. Who is she?

“He deserves to know!".

"I know,” she agrees, “and I'm going to tell him, but he's just moving on from me, I don't want to drag him back just yet. He needs space, I need space or else it'll get messy."

Oh. My…I think I understand what she needs me to do. "You want me to pretend to be the father of the baby."

"No. We're going to tell everyone that we're having a baby, which we are, except you're the biological father."

"A lie of omission Liz."

"Alex, I need this,” she pleads. “I can't face Max right now, I just can't. I'm not going to deny him his fatherhood, but I'm just not ready. I'll tell my parents the truth, you can tell yours if you want but no one else."

"Liz, this is crazy," I tell her shaking my head.

"I know that, but it's the only way I can deal with it."

"You want me to lie to our friends, to Max!"

"It's asking a lot, but I need your help Alex and I know with me being pregnant with another man's child, you might not believe it, but I do love you.
I want a future with us. I just didn't count on this happening. But it has and I've made my choice, now you have to. I'll understand if you say no or don't want to have anything to do with me now, I just…needed to ask this."

I don't know what to say. What does a person say to such a proposition? I mean this is Liz, pregnant with Max’s child, wanting a future with me, asking for my help.

"I have to go," I tell her.

"Okay."

She stands there, looking so small and fragile and damn it, no matter how much she's hurt me with this news, I know I can't leave her like this.

I kiss her chastely on the cheek. I don't know what I mean by doing that, but it's something that I know will give her strength.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

I've had a week to thing about it and I must be crazy or deeply in love with Liz because I've decided to do it.

I'm going to be the father of her child.

The right thing to do would be to tell Max, he is my friend and he does deserve to know, but I'm being selfish because I won't do that. I want a few months where it's just me, Liz and the baby, so that we can connect.
I know Max is the biological father and I won't take that away from him, but if Liz and I are going to have a future together, then the baby is going to a part of it. If things go my way, he's going to be my son legally.
It's insane that I can still think about marrying Liz after all of this, I'm not deluding myself, I know our relationship won't be the way it was before I knew about the baby, but I'm willing to work on it.

In a twisted way, it's good that she's pregnant with Max's child, instead of some unknown one-night stand stranger. Her and Max have history and that baby means something. On the other hand, finding out that Liz is carrying Max's child, was like a kick in the gut, it makes them more connected than before, which initially made me jealous. Amongst the emotions I felt when she broke the news, fear of losing her to Max was one of them. Now after thinking about it, I know I won't because she's once again chosen me, chosen us. And sure, it's a little complicated, but the most worthwhile things are.

I haven't talked to Liz in a week. I don't know how she's been, how the baby's doing, I don't know if she's even home, but I'm driving there anyway to tell her my decision.

Liz is home.
Unfortunately, so are Maria, Michael, Kyle and Isabel.
I try to get Liz away to talk, but Maria is having none of it, so I sit there and try to contribute in conversation while at the same time trying to communicate my answer to her with my eyes.
It's during one of these attempts that I notice that she isn't looking too good.

"Liz are you-"

She bolts before I finish.

Maria moves to follow her but I stop her. "I'll go," I tell her.

"She's been feeling or being sick all week now, I thought everything had checked out at the doctors," she tells me.

"It did," I respond before following Liz's hurried path.

I find her kneeling over the toilet, throwing up.

I cringe at the sound. Morning sickness, she'll be getting a lot of that.
I'm thankful I'm not a woman.

I kneel beside her to cover the hand she's using to hold her hair back, with mine.

"Alex," she gives me a surprised sideways glance before turning her head back to the bowl.

I gently rub her back, I don't know why, I just need to feel like I'm helping.

When we face the others, we do it hand in hand. From Liz's tight grip on my hand, I know she's glad we're in this together because they've obviously been talking and want answers.

"Liz, what's going on?" Maria asks.

Liz looks up questioningly at me. She's giving me one last chance to back out, to say nothing.
But I don't, I won't, I love her too much.

"I guess we better tell them." I pull her closer to me. We smile at each other before answering the question. "Liz and I are having a baby!".

The joy in my voice isn't fake, it's actual joy. I'm excited and happy to be having a child with Liz, even if he or she isn’t mine biologically. Liz is choosing me to be alongside her for this and I choose her right back.

Max's POV

It's been slightly over two months since I've been to L.A., since I've seen or talked to Liz.
I've been staying with my parents, trying to figure out how to get my life back. They were surprised, concerned but pleased to see me. I don't make frequent unannounced trips to visit them.

Not going into explicit sexual detail, I told them everything. I asked for advice and they gave it to me, lectures about my unforgivable treatment of Liz went on for hours, but so did the advice on how to heal, not fix, but heal. Apparently, there's a difference; fix is something you do quickly, not taking the time to fully comprehend the situation. Healing, takes gentleness, patience and time.

My parent's house, the house Les and I grew up in, is filled with pictures of us, our friends, family, it's filled with so much love and more good memories than bad. I want that with Liz. It won't be easy, but I want it.

Les came for a visit and to offer her take on the situation, which was pretty much the same as my parents. I've hurt Liz too many times to fix us, I need to heal us and to do that, I need to give her space and me time to grow into someone better than I am right now.

It's been restorative to be back at home, here in the quiet, I've had time to think and reflect. I have to go back in a few weeks to sort out some things before filming on location in Europe. After that, I've decided to start up my one production company. It's something I’ve always wanted to do, but haven’t had the time to stop and plan it because I've always been doing something or someone.
A holiday at home is what I needed to remind me of that dream and maybe when Liz and I are on the road to recovery, she'll want to be a part of it. She's always wanted to branch out from scripting, maybe we could do it together.

I stop at the foot of the stairs to answer my cell phone. It's Michael.

"Hey man, what's up?" I ask him.

"Hey, listen, I've got some news. I didn't want to tell you before because, I thought it would be best not to…but Liz and Alex are together, officially," he tells me.

"Oh."

That’s a complication, but one I can deal with.

"And that's not all...Max, they're having a baby together."

When I came back home and heard what my parents and Leslie had to say, I had hope.
Now after this news, I have none.
Hope is dead.

"Max, are you there?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry to break it you man, but you and Liz, I don't think…" he trails off regretfully.

"I get it Mike. Thanks for telling me."

"I'm really sorry."

I nod. "So am I."

My mum appears by the stairs just as I end the call. My expression must be pretty heart-wrenching because she's looking at me with extreme concern.

"Max honey, what's wrong?".

I feel detached from my body, from my voice as I answer her. "Liz is pregnant with Alex's baby."

"Oh Max."

She hugs me. I feel the warmth on the surface trying to sink in and make me feel, but I'm numb, I'm empty.
As she hugs my limp body, all I can say repeatedly like a mantra is that, "it's over, it's really over."

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: First off, hey and thank you to my regulars on this fic and hey and thank you to all you new feedbackers to this fic. It's a pleasure to have you on board. :D

Secondly, Woah!! I knew that what Liz and Alex decided to do was questionable, but I didn't know just how much till I read all your feedback. You all have different opinions, which is very cool and which are very interesting to read.
tazno wrote:Amazing. You've made me hate the 2 main characters. What Liz is doing is despicable- it's worse than what Max did to her. There is absolutely, positively no reason in the world for anyone to do what she is doing. And Alex, what a dirtbag. He is complicit in this disgusting charade. Quite frankly, I hope the cast of characters you've created finds themselves all together on a ship that sinks to the bottom of the lake, never to be heard from again.
I hope that I'll be able to redeem them somehow :wink: P.S. loved despicable, I just had to use it.
BehrObsession wrote: What I can't understand is Alex. I know he loves Liz very much and wants a future with him, but he's deluding himself completely. He knows that Liz loves him, but is deeply in love with Max. He's friends with Max and knows that Max truly loves Liz despite how awful he treated her. How can he hope to have a fulfilling relationship under those conditions?
I'm really not sure, lol. We'll have to see how it goes :D. I have a general idea of where I want each character to go in each part, but when I start to write, they just go where they want. So it'll be interesting working on Alex's development because it is dreamer insured.
Dreamer06 wrote: Oh yea...beginning of this fic, you said you ddin't want to extend this story no longer than 10 parts....Do you have any idea how long this story is going to be? I'm just asking out of curiosity :)
Hhmmm, well this next part is part 14 and we're just getting halfway through the story, the characters have made a lot of mistakes that need dealing with, so just to be on the safe side,I'm saying...it'll be no longer than 40 parts. I think I can stick to that one, lol
Smac wrote:I am in shock! What kind of person has Liz become?.
I know,I know. Things were so simple at the beginning but what can I say? my muse took over and voila, Liz is who she is now. Definitely flawed and making some major mistakes and so is Alex. The fun bit for me, is trying to make sense of it all and that's all thanks to your encouragement, so thanks :D

Realistic Dreamer wrote:Ah, you've touched on one of my favorite hot buttons ... the seeming lack of rights of fathers.

Max and Liz's relationship, such as it is, sucks. But, that has absolutely nothing to do with his rights as a father. He is that child's father, not Alex, and he has a right to know from the beginning....
As uncomfortable as it would probably be, Max has the right to be there for the doctor visits, see the ultrasound pictures, hear the heartbeat for the first time.... And I didn't like, at all, Alex's idea that he was somehow going to be this child's "legal" father, as if Max and his rights don't even exist. Another one who is knowingly and deliberately taking these things away from Max. Good friend ... uh huh.
Oh God, where to begin, lol. I hear you loud and clear. I did think about that issue and well...I can't give too much away, but...they'll start to handle it in the next few parts :wink:

Wondering if Maria will start to work things out? or Max for that matter?... that'll come in the next few parts.
About this next part. I've fast-forwarded three months, a lot has happened but we don't get Max's POV till the next part...

PREVIOUSLY

When we face the others, we do it hand in hand. From Liz's tight grip on my hand, I know she's glad we're in this together because they've obviously been talking and want answers.

"Liz, what's going on?" Maria asks.

Liz looks up questioningly at me. She's giving me one last chance to back out, to say nothing.
But I don't, I won't, I love her too much.

"I guess we better tell them." I pull her closer to me. We smile at each other before answering the question. "Liz and I are having a baby!".

The joy in my voice isn't fake, it's actual joy. I'm excited and happy to be having a child with Liz, even if he or she isn’t mine biologically. Liz is choosing me to be alongside her for this and I choose her right back.

Max's POV

It's been slightly over two months since I've been to L.A., since I've seen or talked to Liz.
I've been staying with my parents, trying to figure out how to get my life back. They were surprised, concerned but pleased to see me. I don't make frequent unannounced trips to visit them.

Not going into explicit sexual detail, I told them everything. I asked for advice and they gave it to me, lectures about my unforgivable treatment of Liz went on for hours, but so did the advice on how to heal, not fix, but heal. Apparently, there's a difference; fix is something you do quickly, not taking the time to fully comprehend the situation. Healing, takes gentleness, patience and time.

My parent's house, the house Les and I grew up in, is filled with pictures of us, our friends, family, it's filled with so much love and more good memories than bad. I want that with Liz. It won't be easy, but I want it.

Les came for a visit and to offer her take on the situation, which was pretty much the same as my parents. I've hurt Liz too many times to fix us, I need to heal us and to do that, I need to give her space and me time to grow into someone better than I am right now.

It's been restorative to be back at home, here in the quiet, I've had time to think and reflect. I have to go back in a few weeks to sort out some things before filming on location in Europe. After that, I've decided to start up my one production company. It's something I’ve always wanted to do, but haven’t had the time to stop and plan it because I've always been doing something or someone.
A holiday at home is what I needed to remind me of that dream and maybe when Liz and I are on the road to recovery, she'll want to be a part of it. She's always wanted to branch out from scripting, maybe we could do it together.

I stop at the foot of the stairs to answer my cell phone. It's Michael.

"Hey man, what's up?" I ask him.

"Hey, listen, I've got some news. I didn't want to tell you before because, I thought it would be best not to…but Liz and Alex are together, officially," he tells me.

"Oh."

That’s a complication, but one I can deal with.

"And that's not all...Max, they're having a baby together."

When I came back home and heard what my parents and Leslie had to say, I had hope.
Now after this news, I have none.
Hope is dead.

"Max, are you there?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry to break it you man, but you and Liz, I don't think…" he trails off regretfully.

"I get it Mike. Thanks for telling me."

"I'm really sorry."

I nod. "So am I."

My mum appears by the stairs just as I end the call. My expression must be pretty heart-wrenching because she's looking at me with extreme concern.

"Max honey, what's wrong?".

I feel detached from my body, from my voice as I answer her. "Liz is pregnant with Alex's baby."

"Oh Max."

She hugs me. I feel the warmth on the surface trying to sink in and make me feel, but I'm numb, I'm empty.
As she hugs my limp body, all I can say repeatedly like a mantra is that, "it's over, it's really over."

Nice to meet you anyway - part 14

Liz's POV

Things between Alex and I were a bit awkward, touch and go at first but we talked about everything, he moved in with me and now, we're great. It's as if I'm carrying his baby instead of Max's. He’s been through my mood swings, my cravings. He is completely in love with the baby.

Everyone has been really supportive of us to the point that it got almost smothering. Alex's parents for example, rang everyday just to know what was happening with me and the baby.
We got them to cut it down to once a week.
Alex told them the truth, that I was pregnant with someone else's child but that he loved me and the baby as if it were his own. Obviously, the weren't over the moon about it, but once they came to visit and saw us together and since I was the Liz who Alex had compared and rejected every girl he'd brought home they had accepted it and welcomed me to the family.

I told my parents the whole truth, that Max was the father, that I hadn't told him yet, so everyone including him would think that Alex was the father of the baby. They were disappointed in my deception, but my mum understood my reasons. My dad on the other hand though it was despicable.

"I'm not denying him his child," I explained. "I will tell him before the baby is born."

"Elizabeth…“

I hate it when he calls me by my full name.

“…I'm telling you this from a father's perspective, if your mother had kept your existence from me for even a week, it would have hurt a lot. You’re taking months away from Max. A father wants to be there step by step in the baby's growth and you're taking that away from him. I don't agree with your decision."

"But it's my decision to make daddy, and I'm sticking to it,” I told him.

"And this Alex, he's going to do this with you?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Why?".

I shrugged. The simplicity of it always brought a smile to my face. "Because he loves me and the baby."

Even though my dad doesn't approve, he's excited that he's going to be a grandfather and after meeting Alex and putting him through the third degree about what his future intentions for me were, he's okay with it.

I couldn’t lie to Noah, I told him the truth too and like my father, he wasn’t too happy with my decision, but like the good friend he is, he’s standing by me.

“I’m your friend for life, no matter what crazy really out-of-order thing you do Parker,” he told me.

“Thanks Noah, I really appreciate it,” I responded.

And I do. It’s so good have some people know the whole truth and still be with me. It’s not like I’m pretending Max doesn’t exist, because I don’t. There’s no way I can.

I think about him sometimes, I wonder what he's doing, who he's with.
I could easily look in some gossip magazine or find out from Michael, but I'm not ready to know any sort of truth regarding him just yet.

I tell the baby about him, though, the bad bits: that he can be a jackass sometimes and the good bits like his smile, his laughter, his kindness, gentleness and his love.

I think about Max and I hope he's happy.

At five months pregnant, I feel fat, sore, have huge cravings, am really hormonal and horny. The latter is a problem because Alex won't go there with me. It's not that we're not affectionate with each other, we are, very.
We kiss, a lot and there's a lot of touching, but when we get too heated, he always stops and pulls away.

Like tonight for example, as he draws me to snuggle closer to him, I can feel how much he wants me, but all he'll do is just hold me. Not that it's a bad thing, but I need more.

"Alex," I sit up and turn on the bedside lamp.

"What?" he asks.

"Do I repulse you?".

I know the answer to that because he’s told a thousand times. It’s just to get the ball rolling…plus it’s always good to hear.

"No. Liz, you're pregnant and beautiful,” he rubs my belly affectionately, “I love you like this.”

"Then why don't you want to make love to me? I know you want to," I complain.

He sits up on his knees facing me. "I do Liz, you have no idea how much, but you're carrying Max's baby and the thought of me,” he raises his eyebrows suggestively, “being in there with the baby doesn't seem right. I mean, I'm already here with you, going through all this with you, where Max should be. I just feel like making love to you now, would like adding insult to injury to him."

Of all the answers he was going to give me, I wasn’t expecting that one. He is the best person in the world.

"I guess I never thought about it like that,” I respond. “It's sweet of you, Alex, but I'm still horny and you still have urges."

"Believe me”, he chuckles, “I can control mine till after the baby's born."

Good for him, but I can't wait that long.

"What are your views towards fore-play and everything but sex?" I ask coyly.

His jaw drops. "I- I guess I'm open to that."

I smile.
Now we’re getting somewhere. "Then I guess we'll have to work something out."

Alex's POV

"Do you want to know the sex now?" asks Dr. Thompson.

I share a smile with Liz. We’ve held off knowing for months now, but we talked about it last night and we decided that we want to know. She doesn't mind if it's a boy or a girl, neither do I because I'll love him/her either way. But if I had to pick, I'm hoping for a girl. I imagine her having Liz's hair and smile.

"Yes we do," Liz tells her.

We hold onto to each other as we await the news.

"It's a boy."

"A boy?! We're having a baby boy!", she cries happily.

We share a soft kiss.

Right at this moment in my life, I can’t ask for anything more.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

I walk out of Dr. Thompson's room in a daze.

I'm going to have a son!.

I look over at the ultra sound picture Liz is holding. "A boy, can you believe it?".

"No," I reply astonished.

"Next, we can have a girl, so she can have a big brother to look out for her," she tells me.

"You want another one?" I ask.

"Yeah, don't you?".

"Of course. With me?".

She rolls her eyes. "Who else silly?".

Downstairs, when we round the corner, we meet the answer.

Max stands stock still in front of us, clearly as shocked as we are to see him.

He looks at me, then at Liz, then at her protruding belly, then back at her.

I feel like a spectator between them till I feel her tighten her grip on me. I return reassuring pressure.

Studying Max, I can read the emotions on his face because I'd be feeling the same if our roles were reversed.

Surprise, envy, pain.

"Hey Max, long time no see," I greet him.

"Hey," he says but he doesn't take his eyes off Liz.

"How have you been?" she asks softly.

"Good. I just um...came to remove some stitches," he replies pointing to his jaw line.

"Oh no, what happened?" she asks concerned.

"Got injured on location at the end of the shoot can you believe it?".

Mutual soft laughter lifts the tension from the situation and I'm back to being a spectator again as I feel her loosen her hold on my hand.

"We came to check on the baby," she holds her hand to her stomach.

His eyes land there and stay there.

I can see the pain and envy.

"I heard, congratulations," he says.

I think Liz is completely oblivious to anything he’s going through right now because she smiles at him. "Thanks, wanna see him?".

She doesn't wait for a reply, she moves alongside him and shows him the picture.

"It's a he?" he asks.

"Yep- Oh,” her hand shoots up to her stomach. “He just kicked, wanna feel?".

I know I’m looking at her as if she’s gone crazy but she won’t notice and neither will Max because they’re only looking at each other.

She’s asking the man who is love with her to feel the baby, whose father isn’t him, as if it’s a simple, easy thing.

"Um okay,” Max replies.

I watch his expression change from one of uneasiness to one of pleasant surprise.

"He's got quite a kick,” he smiles.

"Yeah,” beams Liz..

There's a certain point where smiling and touching need to stop. They've exceeded that limit. They just keep smiling and staring at each other. Almost as if they’re having some kind of telepathic conversation.
Max is the one to finally pull away.

"So, I'll see you around," he tells us.

I can’t help it, I’m a little insecure, my arm goes around Liz protectively.

"Yeah," we tell him.

Liz looks up at me when he disappears round the corner. "That went well."

"It did," I reply.

It may have gone well for her, but it didn’t for me. I was fine when we couldn't see him. I didn't think much about how he'd feel, but seeing the look in his eyes, seeing them together and knowing that the child he's so envious of isn't mine but his?
I don't think I can lie to him any longer. Liz is halfway into her second trimester, time is running out.

"When are you going to tell him?" I ask when we get home.

"Do I have to?" she pouts.

"Liz."

"Okay, give me a couple of weeks," she replies.

"How many?" I ask.

"Four?".

"That's a month!".

There is no way I can lie to him for another month.

"I know, but I promise I will tell him. Just give me this time to prepare what to say and what we're going to do about me, you, him and the baby."

She looks at me in a way that leaves no room for refusal.
"Okay,” I agree.

She gives me a quick butterfly kiss on the mouth. "Thanks."

I watch her riffle through the fridge looking for something to eat.

If I was Max and she told me the truth a month from now, I'd be enraged.
It’ll take him a while to calm down and forgive and by that time, he'll miss out on what's left of the pregnancy.

I'll give her month to tell him. I'll give him a month to get used to the idea of a baby and of being with Liz again.

Liz's POV

After Maria drops me off, a few minutes before my class starts, I walk into the ante-natal clinic expecting to meet Alex. Instead, Max is there to meet me.

Max who I haven’t seen since that run-in at the hospital. Max who I’m planning to tell a few weeks from now that he’s the father of my baby, is here, now.
What's going on?

"Hey."

It’s been a while, but I’m pleased that I can still tell when he feels self-conscious, like now.

"Hey," I respond. "Where's Alex?".

"Um, he got held up last minute and knew you were on your way, so called me to fill in for him,” he explains.

"Oh."

I bet he did.

He could have called Michael, or Kyle or anyone else, but he called Max.

"Do you mind?" he asks.

"Oh no, it's fine”.

It doesn't take me long to figure out why he did it.
He's easing me and Max into the idea of being around each other with the baby without any tensions and bitterness which is sure to follow once I tell him the truth.

Alex's capacity to care and consider other people is astounding to me. I didn't think I could love him anymore and now I do.

I meet Max’s gaze surprised to find him staring at me, with that piercing look. I remember that look…I’ve missed that look.

“It's um.. good to see you Max. I've…missed you," I tell him.

"You sound surprised that you did."

"Well after our last encounter..." I trail off letting my red cheeks speak for themselves.

"Yeah.…“ he nods smiling. “I missed you too Parker and not just the usual type of missing someone".

I note the twinkle in his eye and can’t help but follow his lead.

"Really?,” I lazily drawl, “How much did you miss me then?".

I can’t believe that after everything we’ve been through we’re back to this friendly banter.

This is so strangely natural.

"I missed you immensely,” he answers.

"Immensely”, I muse, “Is that word a permanent addition of your vocabulary now?" I tease.

A bittersweet smile crosses his lips. "Only when it comes to you, Liz."

I blink back tears as he leads me through the doors.

Damn these hormones.
willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Okkkayyy, lol, comments to feedback left for that last part....

Um, yep, Liz is being pretty selfish and was just plain mean with the whole check-out the ultrasound picture thing. I have no excuses for that, she's just pretty much thinking about herself right now. She can't handle thinking about how her decisions affect Max. And so far, she doesn't seem to be bothered by her deception, but from this part onwards, a little more about how she really feels about that will start being revealed.

Alex....he's being a selfless guy to some of you and a doormat to others. He's basically trying to do what's right as well as trying to get what he wants. He's caught between a rock and a hard place.

About this next part, it's the beginning of major angst, just thought I'd give a warning.

QBon - thanks for coming out of lurkdom to leave feedback. Much appreciated :D

-
BelevnDreamsToo wrote: MAN willow!!! It's been a VERY long time since a fic has gotten under my skin as much as this one has!! You're doing a fantastic job of really pissing me off!!! I don't usually hate Liz and I've NEVER hated Alex before, but your two really take the cake!! :x
Thanks...I think, lol. No really, thanks for the compliment. I'm really glad you're enjoying the fic and...being pissed off by it, lol. I enjoy reading the feedback. :D

-
tazno wrote:I feel so bad for Max at this point, if I don't see him find out what he should rightly have known from the beginning, I might spontaneously combust from anger!
I didn't want you spontaneously combusting from anger, so...read on...:wink:

-
Smac wrote: I hope we learn more in the next part about what Max has been up to for the last 5 months. Has he been having meaningless sex or seeing someone exclusively? Hard to imagine him being alone for that long because that's not his usual MO.
You will find out some of what he's been up to in this next part. :wink:

-
Smac wrote: Are you going to try to keep updating this at least once a week?
I'm hoping to, if my schedule will allow it.

-
Smac wrote:Also love your new story, by the way. Really fresh and different idea, just like this was.
Thanks, I needed a little fun release from this angst.

-
Gaby7tvm wrote: she deserves a lot of groveling to do...and that Max take her baby away...jejejeje, i know im very bad, and then after that, she can have her happy ending. Im glad that Alex is realizing that he has no chance with Liz, that Max and Liz are meant to be together.
Ok....ps. I just had a BIG fight with my boyfriend so maybe that had to do with my vengence words about Max, Alex and Bitch Liz
Lol, well I hope posting feedback released some of your anger. :D

Thanks a lot for your feedback and support guys. Here's the next part...

PREVIOUSLY

I meet Max’s gaze surprised to find him staring at me, with that piercing look. I remember that look…I’ve missed that look.

“It's um.. good to see you Max. I've…missed you," I tell him.

"You sound surprised that you did."

"Well after our last encounter..." I trail off letting my red cheeks speak for themselves.

"Yeah.…“ he nods smiling. “I missed you too Parker and not just the usual type of missing someone".

I note the twinkle in his eye and can’t help but follow his lead.

"Really?,” I lazily drawl, “How much did you miss me then?".

I can’t believe that after everything we’ve been through we’re back to this friendly banter.

This is so strangely natural.

"I missed you immensely,” he answers.

"Immensely”, I muse, “Is that word a permanent addition of your vocabulary now?" I tease.

A bittersweet smile crosses his lips. "Only when it comes to you, Liz."

I blink back tears as he leads me through the doors.

Damn these hormones.

Nice to meet you anyway - Part 15

Max's POV

"You're filling in for Alex at Liz's birthing classes?, bursts an incredulous Leslie. “ Max, she's pregnant with another man's child."

I put the finishing touches to my sandwich while talking to her on speaker-phone.

"Tell me something I don't know Les," I tell her. "I've had months to think about what I'd do when I saw her again."

"Did you think about maybe moving on? Letting it go? She obviously has," she tells me.

"I have moved on Les, I've moved on from being that guy who broke her heart all the time. I've moved on in a lot of ways, you know that, but I cannot and will not move on from Liz. If friendship is all I can get so be it," I tell her.

"It's not healthy," she retorts.

"I'm gonna do it anyway."

"How is she by the way?" she asks.

I smile at her question. "She's big and beautiful. She's got this glow...it's great but she's really hormonal. The slightest thing sets her off and she has this mad craving for tabasco sauce on virtually everything. We figure he's going to be a daredevil..."

"We? Wait Max, it doesn't sound like you're just filling in on birthing classes."

Oops, busted. So I guess I should come out with it.
After that first birthing class, Liz and I went out for drinks at a juice bar and things went on from there. We're back to the goodnight phone calls and whenever we're both free, we spend time together. It's been going on for three weeks now.

"Not especially, we've been catching up," I tell her.

Sometimes, since Alex is living with her now, we eat dinner together - which was very awkward at the beginning because Liz had to divide her time between the both of us, but now...it's still awkward, but we all relate.

It kills me every-time I see them both affectionate with the baby. They're one big happy family.
Those are the times when I just want to leave, distance myself from her but I can't because I'm not only in love with Liz, but the baby too. Sometimes, when we go shopping together, I like to pretend that it's my baby she's carrying. Then, I wake up from that fantasy and remember that I'm not going to be the daddy to her son, but his uncle Max.

"Just be careful Max okay? Don't fool yourself into thinking more of your relationship than there is. Don't get in too deep," she advises.

Too late.

"I'll be careful Les,” I promise her.

We say our goodbye and I hang up. My sandwich doesn’t look to appealing anymore.

I was back in L.A. for a month before I ran into Liz and Alex that day at the hospital. I think that was fate intervening because I don't know when I would have got back in contact with her. I picked up the phone a dozen times a day to ring her, but I never could.
Then that day at the hospital, I faced the truth head on. It hurt like hell to see them, together, pregnant and happy.

Call me a sado-masochist, but I wanted to be around her again. Alex's call to fill in for him gave me that extra push.

My relationship with Liz is now mystifyingly normal considering our history. It's not like we pretend that nothing happened between us, it's like we've been both been in a car accident, survived it, go on living happily despite the visible but healed scars.

Leslie was too late with her warning for me not to get too deep. I was in over my head the second I met Liz Parker and I've been drowning ever since.

Liz's POV

"So what, you're friends now?". Maria spits out the word friends as if it’s an offensive word.

"Max and I, we've always been friends, romance just got in the way, but we're back on track," I reply.

"I go away for a few months and you let him back into your life? Be glad I'm back tomorrow."

"It's not like that," I tell her. "He's different than before. Do you know he hasn't been with anyone, no fling, no girlfriend or easy lay in five months?!".

"You're kidding Max Evans?”, her tone is as incredulous as mine was when he first told me. “He's gotta be lying to either, get you or get into your good books."

"Max would never lie to me," I tell her, "Plus, I'm having Alex's baby, I'm with Alex, there's no way he can get me back now."

"Point taken," she grudgingly accepts. "Speaking of which, how's my nephew?".

We go onto the topic of my pregnancy, I tell her about the false labour I had a few weeks ago, before Max came back into my life; how big I am, how big my breasts are, baby names.

I still can't get over it. I'm having a baby boy.

"I'm so jealous, I can't wait to have a kid," she tells me.

"Since when did you go all maternal?" I ask.

"Since I met Michael, but motherhood's going to have to wait till I see a ring on my finger."

I chuckle. It's so ironic that it's Maria saying that while I'm seven months pregnant and unmarried. It's not exactly the way I planned my life to go, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

I grit my teeth together to stop myself for bursting with news. What Maria doesn't know is that Michael is proposing to her at the airport tomorrow. I helped him pick out the ring and everything.

I finish my call to Maria just as Alex comes through the door.

"Hey, how was the game?" I ask.

Him, Max, Kyle, Michael and Jesse had a basketball match going tonight. He leans down to kiss me and rubs my belly. "Hey there. It was good, close one but in the end, Jesse and Max beat us. Even on a handicap. How was your day?".

"The usual. Quinn came over with fantastic news. Our screenplay's been picked up both by Miramax and 20th Century!" I squeal.

"That's great, congratulations."

"Thanks. We've gotta pick one, which should be interesting,” I tell him as we head over to the kitchen.

He draws me to him and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. "That's my girl".

"I put our dinner in the oven to warm," I tell him.

"Liz, how many times do I have to tell you to rest?" he tells me after he sees how much food I've made.

"And how many times do I have to tell you that I'm not going to break. I'm pregnant not frail. Cooking I'll have you know is very therapeutic for me."

He has no comeback for that. It’s like a game we play now where we just end up grinning at each other.

"Oh, by the way, is it okay if Max drives you to the airport to meet Maria because I have a meeting…"

"….that you can't get out of," I finish for him. "Alex, I think it's really good that you want me, the baby and Max to connect and what not, but you don't have to remove yourself so much. Alternating between you and Max for Lamaze classes is fine, but I feel like you're pushing us together when you don't need to. We're friends, we hang out. You're my boyfriend. What do you think I'm going to do? leave you for him or something?" I joke.

"Well..."

"Max and I are like Noah and I. Good friends."

"But you're not having Noah's child."

"If I was, I'd still choose you," I tell him.

He really has nothing to worry about. There's no chance for Max and I especially after I tell him about the baby.

Max's POV

I never thought I'd see the day, but Michael proposed to Maria at the airport, not caring about the "lucky" paparazzi that were there to capture the moment. He got down on one knee in front of everyone and professed his love. She said yes immediately with tears running down her cheeks.
As he slipped the ring onto her finger, I glanced down at Liz and noticed tears in her eyes. I wondered if she was thinking what I was, that that could have been us once.

Soon though, it's going to be her and Alex. He broke the news at the basketball game. Kyle was teasing him about knocking up Liz and not marrying her.

"When you gonna pop the question?" Kyle asked.

"Pretty soon actually," he replied.

My jaw dropped. I quickly picked it up and pretended to be unaffected by his reply.

"When?" I asked.

"There are a few things we need to sort out, but I'm hoping to do it next month before the baby's born."

"Woah man. Congrats. One by one, we're heading down that aisle," Kyle whistled.

"Thanks. You think she'll say yes?" he asked nervously more to me than to the rest of the guys.

"Of course she will," I assured him.

Why wouldn't she? He wouldn't screw her over like I did.

"I can help you look for the ring if you want," I stupidly offered.

I don't know why I did it- okay so I do. I'm going to help him pick out the ring I would have picked out for Liz.
It's twisted I know.

She's going to have a baby. She'll be engaged soon. All with my friend and not me. It’s distressing to be around her most of the time, but some of the time, like when she smiles at me, or when we talk on the phone about everything and nothing, I forget the pain.

Liz's POV

I feel like throwing up and it's not from morning sickness. The slight cramp like discomfort I'm feeling isn't helping either. It comes in waves but I don't have time for it right now, all I'm concentrated on is how I'm going to tell Max.

He's coming over this afternoon, my time's up.

I'm strong and level-headed enough to tell him now. All the time we've spent together so far, like yesterday when he started singing, badly I might add, to the baby, I was tempted to tell him, but the words couldn't come out. He just looked so happy and at peace, I can't do that to him anymore, I can‘t leave it just because I‘m too scared to.

This whole plan of mine, was designed to give us both time to move on and be okay with each other and we've done that. So I'm telling him.

I jump at the sound of the door bell. I quickly, as quickly as a heavily pregnant woman can, make my way over to open it.

"Hey," I breathe out.

"Hey." He kisses me on the cheek and rubs my belly affectionately.

He's completely oblivious to the fact that I'm falling apart right now.

I let him in noticing the bag he has in his hand. "What's that?"

Enough with the small talk. Just tell him.

"I know you've been buying and getting a lot baby stuff, but I was out yesterday and saw this and thought of you." He shyly hands me the bag.

I put it on the living room table and take out the gorgeously expensive silk, pink, maternity-wear nightdress.
I raise an eyebrow at him. "You were out shopping in a women's store? Is there something I should know Max?".

Ignoring my teasing, he rolls his eyes. "Tell me if you like it."

"I do.”

"I know you feel more comfortable in oversized sweatshirts and shorts but I thought,“ he shrugs sheepishly, “I don’t know, that you could feel like a Queen going to bed."

"It's beautiful, thank you…I'm pregnant with your baby."

No, I don’t say it then, just think it.

Oh. God, just tell him.

"Liz is everything okay?" he asks.

These damn cramps again and Max looking at me with concern and the guilt creeping up on me. I can feel tears in my eyes, this is all too much. "Yeah, I just-"

The phone's ringing. Great just great! Can I not be left alone to tell the truth?!.

I'm backing towards the hallway. "I just need." I need to breathe.

"That okay, do what you have to do," he tells me soothingly, "I'll get the phone."

I smile at him gratefully before escaping to my room to pull myself together.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

Max's POV

Hormones. They wreak havoc on a pregnant woman's system.

I pick up the phone. "Hello?".

"Hello, can I talk to Liz please?" comes a male voice I don't recognise.

"May I ask who's speaking?", I can’t keep the hint of jealous suspicion in my voice.

"It's her father."

Ahhh. A little embarrassed, but I can bounce back.

"Oh, sorry about that Mr. Parker. She's a little hormonal right now, I'll tell her to give you a call when she's back to normal," I tell him.

"Thanks. Who is this by the way? I don't recognise your voice."

"I'm Max Evans, a friend of hers," I reply.

There's an unearthly silence at the end of the line. I worry if Liz told them about me.

"Mr Parker?".

"I'm still here Max. She hasn't told you has she?" he asks.

"Told me what?".

"She hasn't told him and she's seven months along Nancy!", I hear him shout at someone in the background.

"Jeff, what are you talking about? who are you talking to?" questions a female voice.

I'm guessing that's Liz's mother.

"Max Evans," he replies to her. " He's at Liz's and she hasn't told him!".

"Jeff don't you dare. It's her place to tell him."

What's Liz's place? what the hell is going on?

"Mr Parker?" I ask.

"Look Max, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but-"

"Jeff, get away from the phone," Nancy warns.

"It's his right to know Nancy! You know I don't support her decision", Jeff responds.

By now, my curiosity is more than peaked, I want to know what Liz should have told me but didn't.

"Max, Liz isn't pregnant with Alex's child. She's pregnant with yours," he tells me.

"I'm okay now!", Liz declares brightly as she enters the room.

My eyes fly from her smiling face to her pregnant belly.

It can't be.

"I'm sorry?" I ask him again.

How can Liz be pregnant with my child and not tell me? Why would Alex lie?

"She's carrying your child not Alex's. He just agreed to go along with it."

She lied to me? Liz lied to me?. I don't understand, why would she do something so hurtful? None of this makes sense.

"Jeff, give me the phone." Nancy Parker's voice interrupts him. "Max, Liz wanted to tell you herself but-"

I hang up the phone.

Everything is in slow motion. Liz's quizzical apprehensive expression, the phone ringing again, me placing it off the hook.

"Max, who was on the phone?" she asks slowly.

"You evil, selfish, vindictive bitch!", I whisper harshly at her.

"Who. Was. On. The phone, Max?" she asks me again.

Her tone tells me that what her dad just told me wasn’t crazy talk.
It’s true.
Liz is pregnant with my son.

"Your father. He wanted to talk to you but got me instead. He thought you would have told me by now that you're carrying my baby."

Liz's POV

"Oh God," I mummer running my fingers through my hair.

He knows, he knows and he's beyond angry.

"Tell me what he's talking about Liz," he demands advancing menacingly towards me.

I stand behind the sofa to separate us. "I-I-"

"TELL ME!". His voice booms threateningly.

"That night we spent together, I used the morning-after pill but it wasn't 100%. Two months later, I discovered that I was pregnant," I explain in a rush of breath.

He stumbles back as if I just shoved him. "Why didn't you tell me? Why did you lie and pretend that he was Alex's? Do you have ANY idea what that did to me?!".

The anguish in his eyes forces to me face something I've tried hard to not think about; how much my deception would hurt him.

"I-I-"

My hand flies to my stomach as the cramp-like sensation returns again. I breath it out.

"DO YOU?!". The anger in his voice makes me jump.

"I didn't really think a lot about how this affected you," I reply honestly.

I didn't, I really didn't. I don't know if I would have survived if I had.

"You're unbelievable. What were you and Alex going to do? Raise my son as your own. Where you ever going to tell me?!".

"Today, but my dad got in there first," I reply.
What can I do? What can I say? There’s nothing I can do to make this situation better apart from answer him with total honesty.

"Am I supposed to believe that?!".

"It's the truth,” I shrug.

"What do you know about truth?” he asks livid with fury. “You've been LYING to me since that day at the hospital! Do you know what it felt like to see you two together with you pregnant?."

I shake my head unable to speak, I’ve never seen him so angry before and I’m the cause. I really didn’t think his reaction through in my mind. I knew he’d be angry and hurt but I didn’t prepare myself for this. I tremble under the anguished rage in his eyes.

"Let me tell you, it sucked. It felt like my insides had been pulverized. How could you SHOW ME those ultrasound pictures?! How could you pretend?! God Liz!, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!”.

"Because I'm a coward,” I reply in a quiet tired tone. “I was selfish and completely not ready to face you. If I had told you when I'd first found out, you would have wanted to be back in my life. I couldn't go there with you again Max.
I wasn't in a state to deal with you and you wouldn't have taken no for an answer. You would have pushed and pushed and pushed until you broke me. Things would have ended up a whole lot worse than they are now."

His eyes nearly pop out of his head. "Who for?!".

I keep breathing out these cramps, if I didn't know any better, I'd say they were contractions, but it's too early, it could be a false alarm like last time. I’m holding out for the water to break. That’s a sure fire way to tell what’s what.

"For all of us!,” I reply. “I didn't do this to hurt you Max, I did it to protect myself. I know that what I've done would hurt you, but I couldn't do anything about that. I had no intention of keeping the truth from you or keeping you away from your son-"

"Oh! is that why Alex has been getting to play daddy in this pregnancy for all these months?!. You took away my choice, Liz. You took away my being with you and the baby every step of the way!.”

I feel a trickling down my legs and glance down to see water on the floor.
Okay, I didn't just pee my pants, my water just broke.
My water just broke and Max is here shouting at me, hating me and Oh My God! my water just broke, he has to leave.

"I am sorry that I hurt you Max, but I was pregnant. Dealing with that and trying to get over you was enough. I couldn't handle you being in my life. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing," I tell him.

"YOU BROKE MY HEART! Now you've destroyed me and you wouldn't change a thing?!" he shouts in disbelief.

"Not a thing," I reply.

He really has to go.

"I'm gonna leave,” he tells me. “I'm gonna leave before I do something I'll regret."

I nod, urging him to walk out faster. I have to deal with the water breaking situation, it's way too early.

I hold my breath when he stills and turns back to me.

Dread fills me again. What now?

His eyes are narrow slits. “Did you sleep with him?” he asks.

What?”.

“Alex, have you slept with him while you’ve been pregnant with MY CHILD!”

“I’ve shared a bed with him and we’ve slept together-”

“Don’t be smart with me Liz, you know what I mean. Have you had sex with him?”.

I’m momentarily speechless.

“Oh. My. God, how is that your business?!” I shriek.

“Because you are pregnant with my child and I don’t want you sleeping with anyone but me. EVER!”

Okkkay, I wasn’t expecting that.

“Right um. No, I haven’t had sex with Alex, ever. Are you happy now?”

“I’m incredibly relieved and yeah, a little happy,” he replies.

That’s it I want him out.

"Aren't you leaving?" I ask.

The look of disgust on his face before he leaves is imprinted in my mind. I'll deal with that later. I wait till I hear the door slam before releasing a breath.

I quickly put the phone back on the hook and dial Alex.

"Hey w-"

"Hey. My water just broke," I tell him.

"Your water just-"

"broke yeah," I finish.

"Oh. Okay. Don't panic."

"I'm not,” I reply.

I’m freaking out in a quiet way.

"Is there anyone there to drive you to the hospital?" he asks.

"No, Max just left. He found out that we've lied to him for the seven months, he's a little bit angry.”

"Liz, honey. I know you're in some kind of shock right now, but I need you to snap out of it. You're in labour, having a baby. Get Max to drive you to the hospital."

His calm controlled tone shakes me out of whatever abnormal state I was in.

"I am really having a baby,” I tell myself. “I need to go."

"Love you. I'll meet you at the hospital," he tells me.

"Love you too," I tell him before slamming the phone down.

I dash for the door, picking up my delivery kit on the way.

I hope he isn't gone.

What the hell was wrong with me? Why did I just let him walk out?!

Max's POV

I want to hit something. I want to kill them. I want to shout, to cry, scream. I want to do a lot of things, but what I really want to do is go back into that house.
I can't help feeling that something was wrong with Liz. She wanted me out of there too fast, she was too rash at the end.

I must be crazy because my feet have turned me around and I'm headed back.

I'm just about t ring the doorbell when the door swings open.

"Max," she says breathlessly.

I stare at her surprised by the desperation in her voice.

Did I miss something?

"Do you think you can put aside your intense hatred of me to drive me to the hospital? I'm in labour," she tells me calmly.

"You're in what?!".

Once again, my world is spinning out of my control.

"Having the baby,” she replies.

She shuts the door and drags me to my car.

"That- you can't it's too early," I tell her.

"Yeah well,” she points to her stomach, “he doesn't seem to think so," she responds.

I just found out that she was pregnant with my son. Now she's having him?!

We come to a halt by my car.

She grabs me by the shoulders. "Max, I need you to focus. Don't panic. Drive me to the hospital. Can you do that?".

It strikes me as ironic that she's the one in labour, calming me down when it should be the other way round.

"Yeah, yes". I hurriedly open the door and help her in.

My fingers tremble as I turn the ignition.

When did my life become so crazy?.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, I don't have much to say about this next part so on with it...

alana: thanks for the feedback, I enjoyed reading your perspective on things.
Emz80m wrote:
I wanted to ask you are you bringing Isabel into this story? just thinking that she might be the one that ends up coming in between Liz and Alex.
Isabel is Liz's friend and she will appear more in later parts and that's all I'm saying :wink:

Emz80m wrote:I also found it interesting when Max told Liz that it should only be him she ever sleeps with, she didnt seem to disagree with him... i wonder if she realised what she said.
She did, but the question is, will she do anything about it if anything?...:wink:
nitpick23 wrote:
I wonder why people are thinking that Liz was lying to Max during their confrontation?? I thought she was being brutally honest with Max.
Same here. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
edited 'cuz I just read BehrObsession's post, I think this is why...
BehrObsession wrote: Liz has me beyond pissed with her deception on so many levels. She deserved the blasting she received from Max. She claims she intended to tell him all along, but I'm not sure she really believed she'd ever have to. And she can shout until she's blue in the face that she only lied to protect herself and allow them both to move on, but that's just another lie in my opinion. Whether it was a conscious decision or not, she meant to hurt Max. The pregnancy gave her the ultimate weapon to use against him and she made the most of it.
Realistic Dreamer wrote:
Then, Liz decided to have sex with him, some sort of spectacular "I'm over you and this sex is all you'll ever have of me" last hurrah type thing.
Lol, I love that!
extingman wrote:I may get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I do in a way understand why Liz didn't tell Max.

I'm not throwing any tomatoes :D. It's so strange to read yours and Realistic Dreamer feedback, you both have different views on Liz's actions, very intersting to read.

extingman wrote:I just wonder if Tess will make another appearence before everything is said and done.
Yep, I can definitely say that Tess will make another appearance later on.

Alma
Akashaa
begonia9508
BelevnDreamsToo
cherie
Coley452
con angel
cwm_
Dreamer06
Earth2Mama
Emz80m
extingman
FamersAmers
Gaby7tvm
HBGO
janesdilemma
Jason's Lover
Lizza
LTL
nitpick23
QBon
RASaero611
Realistic Dreamer
roswellluver
shortykms
snoopie13
Smac
StarPrincess
txndreamer06

Thanks for the feedback guys :D.

PREVIOUSLY

Max’s POV

"Do you think you can put aside your intense hatred of me to drive me to the hospital? I'm in labour," she tells me calmly.

"You're in what?!".

Once again, my world is spinning out of my control.

"Having the baby,” she replies.

She shuts the door and drags me to my car.

"That- you can't it's too early," I tell her.

"Yeah well,” she points to her stomach, “he doesn't seem to think so," she responds.

I just found out that she was pregnant with my son. Now she's having him?!

We come to a halt by my car.

She grabs me by the shoulders. "Max, I need you to focus. Don't panic. Drive me to the hospital. Can you do that?".

It strikes me as ironic that she's the one in labour, calming me down when it should be the other way round.

"Yeah, yes". I hurriedly open the door and help her in.

My fingers tremble as I turn the ignition.

When did my life become so crazy?.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 16

Max's POV

"Oh God, Max!". She clenches my free arm while the other one is on the steering wheel.

"That's it," I coach her, " Slow deep breaths. Breathe, breathe."

I breathe with her as much for me as for her. The contractions are nearly four minutes apart.

“Liz, you’re in the active stage of labour,” I tell her.

“No kidding,” she grimaces.

“How did that happen?,” I ask, “I mean, why didn’t you say anything sooner?”.

“I wasn’t sure, I thought it could be another false alar-ohm,” she her grip tightens on my hand as another wave hits her.

I wish this whole thing was one crazy dream, but it's not. I'm driving like a madman taking the woman who has lied to me for the past seven months to the hospital to deliver our baby.

She leans over and picks up my car phone.

"Who are you calling?" I ask.

"Alex," she replies taking another breath. I rub her back while she leans over and dials. Massaging relaxes the contractions.

Regardless of everything, I’m glad I went to those birthing classes and doctor’s check ups with her, because I at least know what to do.

"Why, what the hell are you calling him for?!" I explode.

"I just want to make sure he's activated the baby tree list," she replies.

"The what?".

She ignores me. "Hey Alex...I'm okay...The contractions are kicking my ass but other than that...He's great, he's helping me out...just wanted to make sure you'd activated the tree...good...okay...love you too."

She hangs up and glances at me in time to catch the look of disbelief in my eyes.

"What?" she asks.

"You love him?".

She points ahead. "Eyes on the road."

I snap my eyes back ahead. I don't want to get us into an accident.

"And yes, I do love him," she adds.

"You sure have a lot of love to give don't you.”

I can't help the bitterness, my emotions are running high and just because she's in labour, it doesn't mean I'll brush everything under the carpet. Plus, distraction is good for her.

"What is your problem?!", she asks.

"You! and Alex and the fact that you plotted and schemed against me for months!".

"There was no scheming!" she shouts over me but I’m not listening, I’m on a roll.

"Who else knows huh? your parents obviously. Do his know? Does Maria know?", I ask.

"His parents know that the baby isn't his. Noah knows, that's all. None of the others know-ooohhh."

I hold her hand as the next wave hits her, it’s longer this time.

"Breathe,” I coach her until it subsides. “That's it...you good?".

She nods her head. Then shakes it. "I'm scared Max. Seven months, that's 28 weeks. His lungs are just properly maturing right? and I'm in pain and I'm scared for him."

I squeeze her hand gently while keeping my eyes on the road. "He's going to be okay. I mean, he's made from you and me, how can he not be?" I joke.

That brings a pained smile to her face.

"What's the baby tree?" I ask after a few minutes silence.

"It's like a PTA emergency tree. An easy way to spread the news if I went into labour. Alex'll call Maria, who'll call Noah and it spreads out," she explains.

"Bet you thought of that," I say. She likes to plan.

"It seemed more efficient," she smiles.

A pain free smile.
I think I’ve just scored a couple of points there.

Liz's POV

"Did you ever think about me?" he asks.

I’m in agonising pain, there’s no way I can think about my answers or construct them better. He asks, I answer.

"I tried not to, but I did sometimes. Not about how I was scheming against you, but about you in general,” I reply. “Told the baby about you," I add.

Another wave comes and we go through it together.

"That's good at least," he responds a few minutes later. "And you really haven't had sex with Alex?".

Why will he not drop that?

"No, I haven't had sex with him,” I reply.

"You haven't had sex…” he muses, “but what about everything else?".

My jaw drops and an embarrassed smile sweeps past my lips. "Again, how is that your business?".

His eyes are fixed on the road, but that doesn’t stop him from talking.
"Pregnant women are horny of course. You must have done something with him. What?,” he glances at me, “he go down on you Liz?"

"Oh my..."

"Did he use his fingers-"

"Shut up!,” I interrupt. “Of all the things to get upset about. Why are you so obsessed with this? It's not like I was under any obligation to you Max, we weren't together."

" I just want to know!"

"Use your imagination!,” I screech. That‘s the best way I can describe it, my voice reaches octaves I never knew it could.
I take a breath and continue in my normal tone. “You seem to be doing well with it so far“.

"I'm jealous okay?,“ he admits. “ I’m jealous that he got to touch you like that in my place."

I suddenly feel drained and tired. "Let it lie Max," I tell him.

"Easy for you to say. Your world hasn't been shaken up and stirred. I mean, I just wanna know what the woman I love's been doing in my absence."

"This crazy. First of all you don't own me and secondly, we're having this conversation while I'm in labour..." I draw in a sharp intake of breath as the next contraction hits me.

I grab his hand.

"It's okay. Breathe it out, we're nearly there," he tells me.

When I finally let go of his hand, he uses it to tuck my hair behind my ear causing me to glance across and meet his eyes and in them, I find the comfort to tide me over till the next contraction.

Max's POV

We pull into the hospital.
Things happen quickly, Liz is put in a wheelchair, Dr. Thompson's been notified and is on her way and pretty soon we're heading over to Liz's room when Alex rushes in.
One look at him and not caring about making a scene, I see red. The moment he's within centimetres of Liz and I, my knuckles connect with his jaw.

"Max no!" Liz yells but I ignore her.

"YOU SON-OF-A-BITCH!!", I shout. "I trusted you!". I go in for another punch but security responds pretty quickly and hold me back.

"Max, I'm sorry I-"

"Don't apologise because I swear, not even they,” I point to the security guards, “will be able to stop me from beating you senseless."

"Okay, gentlemen…” the nurse steps in to stand between us. “…if you don't calm down security will have to escort you out.”

I hold up my arms and step back. "I'm calm."

"Good. Now I need one of you to fill in some paperwork and Ms. Parker needs to be taken care of, so...." she looks between Alex and I, "...who's the father?".

Alex and I look at each other and then at Liz.

She shrugs. "They both are."

And I guess we are. I’m his biological father, but I can’t ignore that Alex has connected and become attached to him as much as I have.

"You go with Liz," Alex tells me. "I'll take care of the paper work since I know the details."

"Okay.”

I guess if there's one thing we agree on, it's that Liz and the baby come first.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

We make it to Liz's room without any further incidents. She's changed into hospital dress and linked up to tubes and monitors, I’m calmed by the fact that I know what most of its for, to check her: temperature, urine, blood pressure and baby’s heart beat.

The contractions are quick, frequent and painful but she refuses the epidural because she wants to her first birth to be un-medicated.
From the state of my pale, aching fingers, I would definitely say that women have a higher pain threshold because if I was in her place, I would be asking to be as doped up with drugs as safely possible.

Dr. Thompson comes in a few minutes later.

"Liz, Max. Where's Alex?" she asks as she examines her.

"Filling in paper work," replies Liz.

Just then Alex enters. I watch as his eyes soften with concern as they land on Liz.

"How are you doing?". He comes onto the other side of her.

She looks over at Dr. Thompson. "Doc?" she asks.

Dr. Thompson finishes her examination and stands to address us. "You're blood pressures a little bit higher than I would like but it shouldn't cause any problems. And you're nearly fully dilated."

"What does that mean?" she asks gripping both our hands.

"That in about an hour or so, you'll be ready for delivery. The baby's okay, he's where he should be-"

"But he's early," she interrupts.

"He is, but the chances of survival improves with each increasing week of gestational age, so while only 50 to 60 percent of babies born at 24 weeks gestation survive, at 28 weeks his got a 90 to 95% chance.”

She talks us through all that will happen now, during and after the delivery and by the end of it, I'm as pale as my crushed fingers.

There's a chance that after all this, our son won't survive, but there's a chance that he will and even after that, we have a long road ahead of us, but at least he’ll be alive and I have to hold onto that especially for Liz.
She's been carrying him for 7 months, she has a bond which neither Alex nor I have with him. If it's this hard and alarming for us, it's worse for her.

"It'll be okay," I tell her.

"Yeah. Dr. Thompson's a good doctor, this hospital's really good, they'll take care of both of you," Alex reassures her.

We're with her through the contractions and when they take her to the delivery room after an hour and a half, we scrub up and go in for the delivery.

Alex's POV

Her screams fill the room again.

"I hate you!", she screams at Max.

"I love you too," he replies wiping the sweat from her forehead.

He's used to this by now, we're both prepared.

"Oh God, someone give me the drugs," she moans.

"Liz, honey, you left it too late for the epidural," I remind her again.

"I was a fool," she responds melodramatically.

"Next time," I tell her.

She grabs me and pulls me down to her. "You're not suggesting I do this again because-"

"Liz push!" comes the command.

I yell silently as she crushes my hand.

We watched videos of women in labour, I've read the books, but they don't compare to experiencing it. Seeing Liz in such pain, I want to help her. I'm doing my bit by giving her encouraging words, giving her my hand to hold and being a reassuring presence, but that's not taking the pain away. I wish I could share it, make it more manageable for her.

"Okay, one of you needs to come down here!".

I look at Max, he's looking at me. What do we do? Who goes to see the baby delivered and who stays with Liz?

"You go," he tells me.

I glance down at Liz to see if she's alright with it. "Go," she says through gritted teeth as she bears down for another push.

I dash over to the other side, where the doctor is and can I just say, "Woah!".

There's a lot of blood and fluid and again, this cannot compare to watching it on video.

"I see a head!", I tell them in awe.

A really small head. That's a baby!

"Okay, Liz, I need you to give me one more big push. Really big, okay?".

I see her breathing rapidly.

"Come on Liz, you can do it. One more push," I encourage her.

I look back down and am once again surprised at the level of bleeding. There's a lot of blood, there's too much blood. The medical staff don't look panicked but I guess they wouldn't.

"Doctor-" I begin but I'm cut off when the baby comes out. I'm handed a pair of scissors, cut the umbilical cord and the baby is quickly carried away. We knew that would happen. He's so small and bird-like and tiny and Liz is still bleeding.
The beeping of one machine gets higher.

I look up at Liz and I can see her breathing’s ragged and there's increasing panic in Max's eyes.

Max's POV

"Is he out?" she asks me.

I nod as I watch the two nurses attend to our son.

"Is he okay?" she asks.

I turn to her. "He will be."

She sighs with relief. Her breathing is still laboured and her eyes flutter open and close. At first, I think it's because she's tired from the labour but then I hear the machines around us bleeping at an increasing rate.

"Liz?".

Her eyes flutter open. "Max, I know you hate me and everything..."

Hate her? I don't hate her.

"...because of what I did to you, but if anything goes wrong in here with me I mean, try not to see what's there of me in our son. Don't hold it against him you know? Concentrate on seeing more of your features in him okay?".

"What are you…"

Her eyes close, the monitors around us bleep louder and suddenly there's activity around me and I'm getting pushed away from her.

Words are being thrown around but I manage to catch that her BP's sky-rocketing and there's too much bleeding.

"What's happening?" I manage to choke out.

I look over and find Alex asking the same thing at the other end.

"Get them out of here," orders a doctor and the next thing I know, I am briskly handled out of the room along with Alex.

"What's happening to her?!" he asks.

"The doctors are taking care of it, she's in good hands," they tell us before disappearing back into the room.

I feel like an emotional punching bag, emotions have beaten me senseless and I'm sore and numb and don't know what to think or feel.

I look at Alex and I can tell he feels the same...lost.

Our heads turn to the sound of doors being swung open. I'm relieved to see the familiar faces. Our sources of comfort come in the form of Maria and Les, who are spearheading the group which is formed by Michael, Kyle, Jesse, Isabel and Courtney.

"Max, what-".

I don't let her finish. I grab her and hug her tight. Tears well up in my eyes when I feel her hug me with an intensity I need.

"What's going on?" she asks without letting me go.

"The baby was early and Liz-" I break off trying to get the tightening in my throat under control. "There's something wrong and I don't know..."

"Ssshhh," she rubs my back. "It's okay, we'll figure it out. It'll be okay."

I hope to God that she's right.

We've been waiting for over an hour for news about Liz and the baby.
If someone doesn't come in and tell me something soon, I'm gonna loose it, so I try to focus on something else.

"How did you know to come?" I ask Les who's seated beside me.

"I got a call from Isabel, I'm on the list," she tells me.

"Why you?", I ask.

"I was supposed to call you next but you already knew," she replies.

I'm happy to hear that, Liz devised that plan before we met up again, so she at least considered me in the event of the baby’s birth.

"She's so organised," I smile fondly, "a total geek sometimes."

My head snaps towards the doors as Dr. Thompson walks in.

We all rise, Alex and I meet her in the middle.

"Your son‘s okay, we’ve put him in an incubator, he needs help breathing for while till his lungs are fully mature but for now, he's stable," she tells Alex.

I suppress the desire to correct her and tell her that he’s my son, that won’t help the situation.

I exhale a breath. "Thank God."

"How's Liz?" asks Alex.

"She has to be okay right?”, I ask, “I mean if the baby's okay.”

Dr. Thompson hesitates, she seems to be having difficulty replying to my question and I don‘t understand. Why would she hesitate? There can‘t be anything wrong with Liz.

"With Liz...we had a few complications," she finally begins.

I stop breathing. "I don‘t understand what kind of complications?".