Nice To Meet You Anyway(AU,M/L,Mature) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

part 17

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, here's the next part and no, I'm not going to kill off Liz, I was just feeling a little evil in that last part :wink:

this part is pretty long, but transitional, so enjoy....

PREVIOUSLY

My head snaps towards the doors as Dr. Thompson walks in.

We all rise, Alex and I meet her in the middle.

"Your son‘s okay, we’ve put him in an incubator, he needs help breathing for while till his lungs are fully mature but for now, he's stable," she tells Alex.

I suppress the desire to correct her and tell her that he’s my son, that won’t help the situation.

I exhale a breath. "Thank God."

"How's Liz?" asks Alex.

"She has to be okay right?”, I ask, “I mean if the baby's okay.”

Dr. Thompson hesitates, she seems to be having difficulty replying to my question and I don‘t understand. Why would she hesitate? There can‘t be anything wrong with Liz.

"With Liz...we had a few complications," she finally begins.

I stop breathing. "I don‘t understand what kind of complications?".

Nice to meet you anyway - part 17

Noah's POV

I burst into the waiting room just in time to hear Max ask about complications.

"Complications with who?" I ask. "With Liz, with the baby? How is she?".

Several scenarios run through my head in the seconds it takes Maria to calm me down.

"Relax Noah, the baby's fine," she tells me.

"And Liz?" I ask.

The look on her face tells me it's not good. "That's what the doctor was just about to tell us."

We both expectantly look at her.

"I think it might be best if I speak to Max and Alex alone," she begins.

"Like hell it is," I object. "Liz means as much to me as she does to those two and I want to know what's wrong with her now."

The doctor looks to Max for permission. He nods.
Like hell I need permission from Max Evans to find out what's going on with Liz.

"Liz’s blood pressure rose to dangerously high levels, she had a seizure…”

My heart thuds against my chest.

I drift in and out hearing the words, “… excessive bleeding…trouble delivering the placenta…for a few minutes, we lost her..."

Liz, my little Lizzie nearly died!

"...we've got her stabilized now, but it was touch and go for a while back there," she finishes.

"But she's alright now," questions Maria.

"Yes. She's resting for now," replies the doctor.

"Can we see her?" I ask her.

"Not yet. I'll have a nurse inform you when you can and when you do, make sure it's one at a time, she doesn't need anymore stress."

"Thanks Doctor," says Max.

"Your son's in NICU, he's on a ventilator right now, we‘ll eventually wean him off....it'll be a tough few weeks but his vitals so far are good. Just go on over and tell a nurse when you want to see him, she'll take you where to go."

Just as she finishes, she gets paged and apologetically excuses herself leaving us in the room to ponder on the information she had just given us.

"What happened?" I ask.

"She went into early labour," Alex replies.

"I know that, but why? who was with her?".

"I was," answers Max.

"You would be," I frown.

Max Evans has caused nothing but harm in Liz’s life, it figures he would have something to do with this.

"Don't blame Max, it wasn't his fault. These things just happen," says a woman I don't know.

"And you are?" I ask.

"Leslie, Max's sister," she replies.

Liz has talked about her, she likes her, so I won't rip into her.

Instead, I walk up to Max. "What happened?" I ask again.

"I went over, her dad rang, we argued and then..."

"She went into labour," I finish for him. I don't have to ask what they argued about, I already know, because I can see it in his eyes. Either Liz or her father told him the truth about the baby and that's what they argued about.
And she went into premature labour.
"You son of a-".

Maria is in-between us in a blink of an eye. "This won't help Liz," she tells us.

"Liz wouldn't be in here at all if not for him," I retort.

I don't have a lot of regrets in my life, but one I do have is encouraging Liz to pursue anything with Max Evans. To think I rooted for her to get laid by him, I feel sick thinking about it now because, I feel as if I contributed to the events that have led to my friend lying in a hospital bed while her baby is hooked up to a breathing machine.

"That's not fair and you know it Noah," Alex jumps in. "Max isn't entirely to blame."

"If he hadn't screwed her around in the first place, none of this would have happened!" I shout.

"Wait...what are we missing here?" asks Maria.

My eyes grow wide, damn. For minute there I'd forgotten that we had an audience of people who don't know the whole truth. The three of us look at each other questioning who's going to tell them. I'm not, it's not my place to tell, I'm just the friend and Max just found out today, so I guess it's up to Alex. After-all, he's part of the deception more than I am.

"Liz was never pregnant with my child," he begins.

A chorus of "what's" erupts.

"...he's not my child, he's Max's."

Maria's POV

"He's whose baby?" I ask.

"Mine," replies Max.

What is going on?

"So what?", I turn to Alex, "you lied? all this time you've made us think you were the father?"

"Seven months man?!," shouts Michael, "How could you do that?".

"Why would you do that?" asks Isabel.

"Because Liz asked me to," Alex replies.

If Liz asked you to jump off a bridge would you?

"So you just did it?" I ask incredulous. My eyes rest on Max. "Did you know?".

"Not till today when her dad called and told me."

He‘s off the hook for now.

I turn back to Alex. "I don't understand, why would Liz ask you to lie like that?".

"She was scared and confused-"

"And not ready to deal with him," adds Noah.

I assume the him he’s talking about is Max.

"And that justifies what you did?!" asks an outraged Leslie. "You weren't there to see how this news broke him. You're supposed to be his friend!” she shouts at Alex. “ How could you do this to him?!".

"Because I love Liz, because she asked me to, because I couldn't let her do this by herself," he replies.

"He had a right to know Alex," says Michael quietly.

"I know he did,” he responds.

"He is right here," says Max.

Alex faces him. "I know you did," he repeats, "and I am sorry for what we put you through, but I don't regret it…”

From the way Max clenches his fist, I don’t think that was a good thing Alex to say.

“… I can’t regret anytime I spent with Liz and the baby, don't ask me to."

"What I'm going to ask is for you to move away from me," Max warns him.

I can understand where he's coming from. If a friend did that to me, I'd want to kill them too.

"I can't believe Liz did this. I can't believe she lied to me," I say aloud.

I'm her best friend and she didn't tell me. Alex and Noah are my friends and they didn't tell me. All these months, they've known while I've been out of the loop. I feel so betrayed!

A nurse comes in. "Sorry to interrupt but Mr Evans, the press have somehow got wind of this, they're some reporters setting up camp outside the hospital. No visitors will be allowed in unless authorised by you."

"Damn it," curses Max. "Thank you."

We watch as he heads for the door. "I've gotta call my manager, do some damage control," he tells us.

I wait till Leslie follows him out before speaking.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demand from Alex.

"Liz didn't want me to," he replies, "I guess the less people who knew, the better. I've got to call her parents and mine.”

He leaves us alone; me, Isabel, Courtney, Michael, Jesse and Noah. Apart from Noah, we were completely in the dark about everything but since now we're back in the light, there's a lot of drama to deal with.

I can't believe she didn't tell me.

Last edited by willowbv on Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

Leslie's POV

I wait till Max settles everything with his publicist before making my presence known.

"What's the plan?" I ask.

"Press release saying that Liz gave birth to my son, both are well and stable," he replies.

"How are you coping?" I ask.

He sinks into a chair and puts his face in his hands before looking up at me. "I don't know..."

I sit beside him waiting for him to continue.

"...I'm so tired and feel so much. I'm happy that Liz and the baby are okay. I'm worried about his condition and the next few weeks. I want Liz to wake up and be okay so we can get through this together, but at the same time, I'm angry at her for lying to me for so long. I blame her but then again I don't.
The way I was then, the way things were between us back then, I can see why she didn't tell me the truth then, but these past few months- she knows I'm different, but she still didn't tell me and that hurts you know?".

"I know," I agree.
I hate her for putting him through this, but at the same time, I can understand why she didn't tell him. Max is my brother and I love him dearly but he doesn't really inspire the kind of trust that Liz would be looking for in a male role model for their child.
This is one big mess that they need to fix because now, it's not just about them, it's about an infant life that will depend on them.

"I'm an aunt," I muse.

The same nurse who came to the waiting room earlier stops by us. "Excuse me Mr. Evans?".

"Yes?".

I can see panic in his eyes. I squeeze his hand.

"Do you want to name your son?" she asks.

He visibly relaxes. "No, not yet. I'll let his mother do that when she wakes up," he replies.

I can hear the desperate hope in his voice.
When she wakes up.
He hopes that they can be something, become the couple they should be and suddenly, I hate Liz again. I hate her for playing with my brother's feelings and making him hope again, because if it doesn’t work out this time, I don't think he'll recover.

"Do you want to see him?" she asks.

He hesitates. He's scared, he needs Liz to get through this with, but she isn't here right now and he needs to do this.

"Go," I tell him. "I'll call mom and dad and tell them the good news."

"Thanks Les."

I look after him as he follows the nurse and I'm struck by the thought that I'm seeing my brother not as the good for nothing playboy he once was, but finally, as a man and Liz Parker did that to him.

Alex's POV

Someone stands next to me. I have three guesses as to who it is: Maria, Noah or Isabel.
They're they only ones I'd expect would want to talk to me right now. The effects of what Liz and I have been doing has been slowly showing themselves to me these past few months.
I feel guilt but not regret.
Today, my guilt has reached an all time high because the truth is out. The outrage and sense of betrayal I anticipated from my friends has been realised.

"Hey."

It's Maria.
Man am I in for it.

"Hey," I respond.

"So, covered up the paternity of a baby lately?".

"I feel bad enough already Maria, I really don't need it from you right now," I reply.

"You won't get it from me. Sure I'm angry and hurt that my two friends were in cahoots and I was left out in the cold, but in time, I'll get over it and...I'm glad that Liz had someone to help her get through it all," she adds.

"Thanks."
"You do know you've wrecked your friendship with Max right?" she asks.

"Yeah."

"This is really messed up, you know that?".

I nod.

"I mean," she continues, "you love Liz, he loves Liz...I think he does."

"He does," I confirm.

"Sure has a crumby way of showing it in the past," she responds.

"Yeah, but he's different now," I tell her.

"So I've heard. So you both love her, my question is, who does Liz want?".

"She chose me..."

"But..."

"But watching them these past months, even after what happened between them before, no matter how much they hurt each other, there's still something between them," I explain.

"But she chose you," she reminds me.

"That time around. My time's up with her. She needs to choose him this time around."

"She won't. She can't let herself especially now," she tells me.

"Then I'll just have to make her," I determine.

"Alex-"

"It's the right thing to do Maria, " I tell her, "I was selfish to want her for myself. She belongs with Max."

"Yeah, but there's damage between them and you and her are just great together- and the baby, you love him as if he was your own and-"

"Maria!”, I shout. The look of surprise on her face makes me lower and soften my tone. “I'm about to give up the future I thought I was going to have, the family I was going to have here...it's hard enough without you reminding me of all I can't have," I tell her.

"Are you sure?" she asks, "Maybe you should give it sometime-"

A shake of my head cuts her off.

"There's been enough time already," I tell her.

"You're a good friend Alex," she says finally.

"Yeah," I whisper.

I'm a good friend.
That still doesn't make me feel better, I'd rather have Liz and our son and be happy, but I can’t because, I'm a good friend and good friends do what's best for their friends whether they like it or not.

Max's POV

Les and I are walking back to the waiting room when we meet Alex and Maria along the way. I'm still angry at him, the feeling of betrayal isn't easily discarded, but I can't deprive him of seeing the baby. He's been as much of a father to him as I have. I tell him where to go to see him.

"How is he?" he asks.

"Small. Very small and hooked up to tubes." I was disturbed at first, I can't imagine that he'll grow up and walk, become a teenager and get married right now because he's so small. "The doctor says it'll do him good if we talk to him and see him."

"Okay, thanks."

I nod my head as he turns back with Maria and heads over to the NICU department.

"That was a nice thing to do," Leslie tells me.

"It's the right thing to do. Alex is just as attached as I am," I reply.

"What are you going to do about that after Liz wakes up Max?".

"I don't know. Alex should see him, but I want to be with him too and Liz, she's his mother," I reply. "I'll need to talk to her, we'll sort something out," I add as we enter the waiting room.

"The doctor said we can visit Liz," Kyle tells us.

"We thought you'd want to see her first," adds Isabel.

I look over at Noah surprised that he didn't go in first. "Just for the record, don't be too hard on Alex," he tells me. "If Liz had asked me, I would have done it too because..."

I nod.
He doesn't need to finish his sentence, I know what he means, I would have done the same thing too.
I love her, we all do.
We'd all want to be there for her to help and love her.

I guess the saying is true, love makes you do crazy things.

"What room is she in?" I ask.

"128", he replies.

Liz's POV

I don't know where I am. I feel light, like I'm floating on clouds with no aim, no direction, just being.

It is in this state that I hear voices.

His voice first. It makes my heart hurt.

"Liz...". My hand is warm, I think he's holding it. "...I need you to wake up soon because I need you, our son needs you. There's a lot you have to face I won't lie, Leslie told my parents as you can probably guess, they're shocked and pretty pissed at you right now, but they'll forgive you eventually because I love you.

And it wasn't your fault entirely, if I hadn't been such a jackass, then things could have been different between us. I promise you from now on though, that they will be.
It still hurts that you lied to me, but I love you. I know you won't believe that I do, but I won't give up till I make you believe.
Our little boy Liz, he's so tiny and he’s in this incubation pod. I just want to take him home with us but I can't just yet....It's just, you're my friend first and you broke that trust that we have but I love you...I'm having trouble reconciling the two but...I want you with me."

His words dance around me and create an impact.
Hmmm…

"Hey Lizzie bear. You're probably drugged out cold, but maybe you'll hear some of this…”

His voice warms me up inside. Noah.

"…I bet you wish that we'd never broken up huh? You had it good with me. You've gotten yourself into quite a mess...you're so damn bull-headed it's frustrating, you just had to go through with this till the end didn't you?

I'm not Max's biggest fan from the way he treated you, but he's got it pretty hard right now. So when you wake up, you need to face up. I'm not sure, but I think he's in love with you...which should be interesting seeing as you probably won't want him to...what am I going to do with you Liz huh?".

Floating aimlessly along the clouds, I smile.

"Hey Liz, I don't know if you can hear me, but let's hope some of this hits your subconscious. My brother's fallen for you completely, I know you find it hard to believe, but he's changed. He's worth another try.
You hurt him badly with this, it was cruel and calculated and while I can understand your reasons, he's my brother and he went through hell over you, so you've got a lot to make up for."

"Hey Liz, it's me Isabel. What can I say, once the drugs wear off, you have to fix this because Alex is completely crushed right now and taking the brunt of it all when you're the mastermind behind this whole thing.
You've got two guys in love with you Liz, you can't dangle them both, you gotta cut one loose."

"Hey chica, I'm so mad at you right now, but I'll take it out on you when you wake up. In the meantime, I'm just gonna sit here with you for a while."

"So our secret's out, time to face the music. Your parents should be arriving tomorrow, your dad's blaming himself for your premature delivery. I told him it wasn't his fault, but I don't think he'll believe it till he hears it from you. Your son's hanging in there, he needs you though...so do I."

I feel a warm tingling on my forehead. A cool breeze sweeps around me.

"We'll talk more when you're awake. Sweet dreams, Liz."

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

I hear before I see.
I hear steady beeps and my own breathing.

I feel.
I'm sore everywhere.

My eyes flutter open and everything rushes back to me. I groan aloud.

"Ah, I see you're awake," a chirpy nurse tells me. "I'll get the doctor".

I recognise Dr. Bernard as one of the doctors in the delivery room with me.

"Your vitals are good," he tells me finally. "We'll keep you in for one more night for observation."

"How's my son?" I ask.

"He's okay, in neo-natal, he's stable."

"Can I see him?" I ask.

"Sure. I'll just go make arrangements for you and to inform your family that you're awake," he replies.

"Thanks."

Wait- family? I wonder who's here.
I don't get much time to think about that because the nurse comes in wanting some details for the birth certificate.

Father's name: Max Evans.

Don't want to change that.

Next, name....after all the name games we played, I settled on one I didn't tell anyone about.

Xan Evans Parker.

I look down at the name and smile. It’s perfect, it has a little bit of Alex, a little bit of Max and little bit of me. They deserved that much.

I'm itching to see my son but no one’s come in to take me to him yet.

When Alex walks through the door, my eyes light up. I feel like I haven’t seen him in years.

"Up and smiling I see," he grins.

"Sore and smiling," I wince as I try to move. "Have you seen Xan?".

"Xan?" he asks.

"Xan Evans Parker," I tell him.

"Nice."

"Glad you like". I hold out my hand for him and he takes it.

"We need to talk," he begins.

I know we do. There's so much to talk about now that everything is out in the open.

"About what exactly?" I ask.

"Liz, you know I love you," he begins.

"I love you too,” I reply.

"I know."

"So what's the problem?" I ask.

"If we pursued this, us- I was going to propose to you," he says suddenly.

"You were?" I ask shocked.

"Yep. Max even offered to help me find your ring, obviously before he found out that we'd lied to him.”

"Obviously."

"But, I'm not going to be doing that, proposing I mean."

I feel sick.

"Why?" I ask.

"If you and I got married, we'd have a great marriage. We'd have fun, but you deserve more, so do I."

"I don't understand, what are you getting at?" I ask.

"Me and you, we'd be great Liz, but you and Max? you'd be so much more than we could ever be."

What?
This is unbelievable!

"You're breaking up with me? is that it?".

The look in his eyes says it all.

"I wake up from delivering a baby and the first thing I get is my boyfriend breaking up with me...thanks."

"Liz-"

"What is this whole me and Max thing?!" I explode.
"You love him," he says simply.

Yeah and?…

"I love you both but I had to choose and I chose you…” I tell him.

I’m getting a sour feeling in my mouth.

“… Are you saying I made the wrong choice?".

"No. I wouldn't want to take back the time we've had together, but-"

"But what? Alex, we're soulmates," I tell him.

There are tears in his eyes as there are in mine.

"There are soulmates and there are the people you're meant to be with. Liz, me and you are soulmates, we are perfect for each other and therein lies the problem, we're too perfect for each other."

I stare at him open-mouthed. He maybe have officially lost his mind.

"You're not making sense," I tell him.

"We love each other, always will and we'll be the best of friends, but Max can give you that and more. He'll give you that can't sleep, can't eat, lightening and fireworks type of love. You two will grow together and learn from each other…”

What. Is. He. On?
Max hates me.

“… You and I don't need to do that, we're perfect. I am your soulmate, I'm always going to be there, your rock when you and Max aren't making sense, but that's all I'll be. I wish we could be something more, but we can't because that would be selfish of me to keep you from experiencing more.”

Blinking away my tears, I violently shake my head fighting off his words while my heart breaks.

“…Don't fight me on this Liz, you know I'm right."

"Even if you are Alex, I destroyed the trust we had. I hurt Max badly. We can't be what you say we can even if I wanted to."

"You've decided a lot of things in your relationship alone Liz, don't you think he should get a chance to decide?".

"I'm scared,” I tell him honestly.

"I know you are, which just confirms what I've been telling you. I'm your safety net, but it's time for you to step out."

"I can't fix this Alex," I tell him.

"Don't try to, just follow your heart. I know he's done bad things to you but so have you to him and he's willing to give you another chance."

Really? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

"Did he tell you that?" I ask.

"He doesn't have to. I see it every-time your name's mentioned."

"So where does this leave us?" I ask.

"Where we've always been, as soulmates, forever. He's going to come in after I leave."

My eyes nearly pop out of my head. "What?! You want me to deal with him now? I can't!".

"Yes you can. Stop being a coward Liz. You hurt him more when you run…”

I sigh tiredly. I know he’s right.

“… I'm going to send him in here and you two are going to talk and you're not going to push him away. You're going to give this a chance, promise?”.

I avert my gaze from his.

He turns my chin towards him. “Liz?".

"I promise we'll talk,” I tell him.

Tears spill down my cheeks when I see him smile. "What am I going to do with you?" he asks fondly.

"Love me?" I joke.
"Always."

He kisses my forehead goodbye. I’m going to miss those kisses. I watch him head for the door.

"Alex?” I call.

He pauses and turns to me. "Yeah?".

"Sorry I dragged you into this mess."

"Doesn't matter how it turned out, I'm glad you did," he responds.

"Alex?".

"Yeah?".

"I want you to find the lightening, fireworks type of relationship too. Promise me that."

"I can promise that I will later, but right now, I need to get over you."

His honesty leaves me amazed and at a total loss.

I don’t get much time to think about what to say to Max before the door opens again and in he steps.

He looks terrible, like he hasn't had a lot of sleep.

And the guilt piles on.

"Hey Parker," he speaks softly.

"Hey Evans," I reply.

We stare at each other, not sure of what to say.

I wonder how this will turn out.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey guys, it's been a while I know but RL has kept me pretty busy, and I wasn't really sure how I wanted this part to turn out but I finally got there.

Oh and no one wants Alex dead anymore, yay! I must be doing my job right.:D

Thanks for all the feedback, this list is getting pretty long, but here goes...

Big shout-out of thanks to:

anonymousarfan
begonia9508
BehrObsession
behrlyliz - welcome to the fic :D
BelevnDreamsToo -
BelevnDreamsToo wrote:They calling each other their "soulmate" bugs the shit out of me...
I'm leaving the soulmate part now, since Alex and Liz aren't together, but seeing as you're not too jazzed about Alex and Liz being soulmates, I'm not sure you'll like the kindred spirit parts I'm gonna be picking up later on :wink:

CherryFlavoredChica-
CherryFlavoredChica wrote:. Oh and why didn't Liz consult Max on the babies name I mean he was nice enough to wait for her
The answer to that is in this next part...

cherie
D.D
Dreamer06-
Dreamer06 wrote: Liz, loving two guys at the same time...DAMN!! She has a very "big" heart then
It's going to get bigger :wink:

Earth2Mama
Emz80m
FamersAmers
foreverdreamer15
janesdilemma
Jason's Lover
Kristy - hey, welcome to the fic :D
Liz86000
Lizza
LTL
nitpick23
QBon
RASaero611
Realistic Dreamer-
Realistic Dreamer wrote:I suppose it's wrong for me to think about sending Max and Liz a self-help sex book. Something that explains what sex really is supposed to be all about. It's not supposed to be some sort of nightly recreation (Max, listen up). It's not supposed to be some sort of Dear John object lesson about what he could have had if he hadn't screwed up (pay attention, Liz). It's supposed to an expression of love. I'll gift wrap it.
Loved this!!! :D

roswellluver
Roswell 10/2/00
Shannmoose
Smac - hope this fixes you right up :D
su-lyn
txndreamer06

Here's the next part...

PREVIOUSLY

I want you to find the lightening, fireworks type of relationship too. Promise me that."

"I can promise that I will later, but right now, I need to get over you."

His honesty leaves me amazed and at a total loss.

I don’t get much time to think about what to say to Max before the door opens again and in he steps.

He looks terrible, like he hasn't had a lot of sleep.

And the guilt piles on.

"Hey Parker," he speaks softly.

"Hey Evans," I reply.

We stare at each other, not sure of what to say.

I wonder how this will turn out.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 18

Max’s POV

I stare at her sitting up on the bed and I suppose I should feel anger, hurt and pain.
Now that she’s okay, I can and I do. I feel all those emotions but damned if I know how, but the emotion that beats all of those, the one that’s thundering through my veins, is love.

I love this woman even though she lied and hurt me. I want her, need her and I’m going to have her no matter how long it takes.

I realise all these things and the only words I can say to her are, “Hey Parker.”

I guess after all that’s passed between us so far; finding out she lied to me for seven months, roped my friend into stepping into the role of father to my son, after her going into labour and giving birth to our boy, “Hey Parker” is all I can come up with and “Hey Evans” is the best she can do.

It’s a start.

I’m not sure how to do this, how to deal with it and from the tentative body language I’m getting from her, especially from her eyes, I can tell she feels the same. We’re both walking blindly down an un-trodden path.
I take a few steps towards her.
I’m watching her so fixedly that I can tell at the exact moment that she tenses up, I can barely see any signs of her breathing.
I’m relieved to see that because it means I’m not walking the path alone, we’re in this together.

I stop directly in front of her and just patiently wait. I made the first move, it’s her turn now.

“How big a mess is this?” she asks.

“Pretty big,” I reel off the list, “a lot of hurt feelings, trust broken, anger.”

She visibly relaxes and so do I.

“Have you seen Xan?” she asks.

Xan?

“You know, the child I gave birth to?”.

“Ah,” I nod.

She named him Xan. Hmm.

She raises an expectant eyebrow at me.

Oh right, I’ve got to elaborate on the “Ah.”

“Yes I have,” I reply. “He’s on a ventilator.”

Her eyes go wide with panic and I realise that that’s not the first thing a new mother wants to hear. I sit on the bed with her and hold her hand as I make another attempt.

“He’s okay. They just want to help him with his breathing for a little while. The doctors are happy with his progress-”

“I want to see him Max, I want to see my son.”

“And you will,“ I tell her soothingly. “The nurse is just getting a wheel chair set up for you“.

“Max,” she grips my hand, which is still sore and tender from its experience in the delivery room by the way, but I bear the pain. “I never thought about how this- how my lying affected you. I never let myself think…just so you know, now that I’ve had no choice but to face what I did to you, know that I’m sorry I hurt you. I know that I’m lower than low and that an apology isn’t enough-”

“It’s a start,” I interrupt.

It’s a start that gives me hope.

There’s a knock on the door and the nurse brings in the wheelchair.

“There you go Miss Parker.”

Liz smiles pleasantly at her. “Thank you.”

“I know where we’re going, I’ll take her,” I tell her.

“So Xan huh?” I ask as I push her along the hospital corridors. “Didn’t tell me about that one.”

“I didn’t tell anyone. I didn’t completely decide on a name but after the drama that was and they asked me for a name, it came out and just fit. Xander Evans Parker.”

I stop suddenly as my heart swells. I didn’t know how it important it was to me to have her think of me when naming our son.

“What’s wrong?” she swivels around and looks up at me.

I think that’s one of the reasons I left the naming to her, to see what she’d do.

“Nothing, it’s just…I’m in there,” I grin stupidly.

“Of course you would be silly. Like I said before, I wasn’t going to keep your son from you Max, in any way other than what I already did.”

I resume our journey with a more measure smile. “Xander Evans Parker. I would have preferred Xander Parker Evans.”

“Hey take what you can get,” she quips. “So did I pass?”.

She knows me too well.

“With flying colours.”

Liz’s POV

The NICU is another place in a hospital where hope and faith are put to the test. Parents and loved ones hover around incubation pods and watch over their child or nephew or niece. A few of them greet Max on our way through.
As usual, he’s made himself known. We stop by a few people where he introduces me as Xan’s mother.

“He finally has a name huh?” asks Nina Stevenson.
Her daughter was born 16 weeks early.

“Yeah.” Max squeezes the hand long ago linked to mine. “Just waiting for his mother.”

I hear the proud tone in his voice and am flooded with warmth tinged with guilt.
I don’t understand why he would be happy to have me around, save for the fact that I’m the mother of his child.
I don’t expect him to have proud tone in his voice as he talks about me to people. I don’t deserve that from him - but then again, he’s an actor, so maybe it’s all pretend.

I meet Dawn and Pete, Lilith and Simon, Jessica and Jane and finally, I meet our son.

I blink back the tears when I see him, a small body with tubes coming out him encased in a pod.
The other couples, other families, other children disappear from my conscious thought and awareness, nothing surrounds my son and I.

“There you are,” I whisper brokenly. I can touch him with gloves and my heart breaks at that. He’s my son, my little baby and I can’t touch him with my own hands yet.
I count ten little fingers and ten little toes.

“He’s all there.” Max enters our world, kneeling beside me.

“Yes he isn’t he. Hey Xan, it’s me your mum. Sorry it’s take us long to finally meet but you took a lot out of me slugger, you just couldn’t wait to come into the world. Well you’re here now and you’re going to be okay.
I’m assuming you’ve met everyone else apart from your grandparents, you’ll meet them later. I’m just so happy that you’re here.”

I stand to stare down through the glass. Max stands beside and behind me, I can feel his strength offered up to me and I take it. He presses his body against mine, giving me a little nudge and I lean into him. His arm comes around my waist.
I cover it with mine almost hugging him close.

“This guy here, you’ve already met. He’s your dad.” Without letting go of Max’s arm, I bend down and whisper. “You know, the one I told you about.”

I lean back into him and stare down at our son. “We’re going to take you home,” I promise.

“And who’s home would that be?” asks Max.

I close my eyes suddenly tired and gather the strength to begin the next stage of whatever this thing between us is.

“What do you want Max?” I ask.

I’m not pregnant anymore, Xan isn’t just mine.

“I want to spend time with my son. I want you and Xan to move in with me for a while. I missed out on being there step by step during the pregnancy. I deserve that right now.”

Too bad I’m in the picture or everything would be just wonderful for him. Max may hate me- okay hate is maybe too strong a word, he may resent me but he’s still willing to be civil, considerate and caring towards me - like he is now by holding me - and he’s willing to put up with me living with him.

He’s the injured party here, so if he’s willing to do that, then I’m willing to take my lumps and live with him.

I, the “vengeful bitch”, destroyed him, yet he’s willing to have me live with him for his son’s sake.

I feel like scum, scratch that, I’m lower than low and that’s all there is to it.

“Liz?”.

He’s still waiting for my answer.

I open my eyes. “Okay.”

“Okay,” he pulls me closer. “Thank you for this.”

I shrug. “He’s your son, don’t thank me.” We stay like that for a while. If someone was observing us, we’d look like a real couple, a real family.

If only.

“Do you think you can give me a few minutes alone with Xan?” I ask him.

“I need to talk to Leslie anyway,” he tells me. “I’ll be back in about fifteen.”

When I’m sure he’s gone, I sit back down in the wheelchair and settle in for a heart to heart with my son.

“I really ruined things with your dad,” I tell him, “ but just so you know, no matter how he feels about me, he loves you and no matter what will happen between us, we both love you.
I didn’t mean to, but I hurt your father a lot and though we’re going to be living with him, it’ll only be for a little while because he and I aren’t like that and never will be,” I take a breath.

I feel ridiculous telling this to someone who can’t talk back, but I think that’s what I need, to not have someone giving me their opinion on my thoughts and plans.

“It would be awkward if we stayed for too long,“ I continue, “your dad needs to find someone who isn’t me, it’ll be difficult to do that if I’m living with him. You wouldn’t be the problem, I would. I won’t stop him from seeing you, he’s your father, always will be. I may have ruined things with him, but I promise, I’ll be the best mother I can be to you.”

Max’s POV

“How is she?” asks Les.

“She’s better now that she’s seen Xan,” I reply.

“Xan. That’s his name?”.

“Xan Evans Parker. I like it.”

“I’m glad. What happens now?”.

I know she won’t be happy with my decision but it’s what I want. It’s what needs to happen.

“I asked her to move in with me, so we can both be with Xan for a while. She agreed.”

“That’s good for Xan to have both his parents together,” she begins.

I help her along. “But…”

“But will it be good for you?”.

“Of course it will,” I reply.

“Max, she lied to you for seven months and before that you hurt her pretty badly. You both haven’t resolved any of that properly. You can’t just pretend with each other, there’s a child involved now.”

“I know that Les. I don’t plan to pretend anything. And sure we haven’t hashed everything out and I’m still hurt and angry with her and I don’t know what she feels about me but the bottom line is we care about each other and even though we have trust issues to deal with, we’re still friends, if that makes sense.”

“It doesn’t but then yours and Liz’s relationship isn’t what I’d call normal.”

“I love her.” I’ve been saying that for a while now, but now I feel it, I know it. It’s intrinsic to my being. “I’m going to work at this relationship.”

I can tell she’s surprised by my declaration. I guess it’s one she never thought she’d hear from me.

She gives me a hug. “I wish you all the luck in the world little bro.”

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

I head back to find Liz talking to Lilith.

Leave her for a few minutes and she already makes a friend.

I watch her enjoying the animated way her face moves. Then she turns in my direction and smiles. One of those rare dazzling smiles and I know I’m where I’m supposed to be.

I didn’t plan on it, didn’t see it coming but here I am, a father watching the mother of my child smiling at me.

We say our goodbyes and I wheel her back to her room where we find her parents, anxious worried and waiting.

“Mum, Dad,” she greets them happily.

I step aside to let them hug.

“Lizzie I’m sorry,” apologises her father. I can see the sparkle on unshed tears in his eyes. “I was so angry that you hadn’t told him yet. I took away your choice, I’m sorry.”

“It’s find dad. It wasn’t your fault. Everything worked out fine.”

I feel like I’m intruding on a private moment and move to go when I see her fingers wiggling for mine.
Our fingers link and she pulls me to her. “Max was really great.”

I can almost see their thoughts as they’re eyes travel from Liz to me and stay there. I stand awkwardly under their inspection.

“Thank you for being there,” Jeff finally tells me.

“I was glad I was,” I tell him.

This is the first time I’ve met Liz’s parents and they hug me like I’m part of their family even after what I’ve done to their daughter in the past.

I’m touched beyond words.

Liz’s POV

After my parents and Max leave, Maria comes in.
Another lump I have to take.
She’s one of my closest friends and I lied to her for months. She’s no doubt hurt and pissed off but the first thing she gives me is a hug.

“You have no idea how happy I am to see you up and awake. You had me scared Liz, pissed off and scared.”

“I’m sorry. Forgive me?” I ask sheepishly.

She folds her arms across her chest. “Depends. Why didn’t you let me in on the secret? I wasn’t Max’s biggest fan, so I wouldn’t have told him.”

“True,” I concede, “but you’re in a serious relationship with his best friend. If I told you, you would have had to keep it from Michael and then when it all came out, he’d have been mad at you. I couldn’t do that you for something that was entirely my own making,” I explain.

I can see the hurt and outrage dissipate from her eyes. “You do have a point there,” she grudgingly admits, “ but you’re my friend. I’ve known you a lot longer than Michael. You needed someone to talk to.”

“I did Maria. Noah stepped in to be an ear.”

“Well, he can step aside or share you now,” she tells me.

I chuckle. “I’m sure he’ll be willing to do either. I’m sorry I lied to you.”

“I get why you did, but next time, don’t keep something from me because of who my boyfriend is. I can handle him. Deal?”.

“Deal.”

Suddenly it’s as if she was never mad at me. She dumps herself beside me and puts her arm around my shoulder.

“So what’s the plan now?” she asks.

“Xan and I are moving in with him,” I tell her.

She arches an eyebrow. “Yeah?”

“I know, but it’s what’s best for Xan.”

“Well, I’m here for you if it gets too much,” she tells me.

“I might take you up on that sometime.”

She gives me a comforting squeeze before hopping back off the bed and heading for the door. “I wanted to have a girl talk before letting the others in.”

She opens the door and in come Alex, Max, Jesse, Isabel, Courtney and Michael with balloons and flowers in their hands.

We hug, kiss and laugh.
They don’t hate me.
Save for Max and Michael, they’re not angry either.
I can understand why Max would be and why Michael would be. Max is his best friend and he had a front row seat in what Max went through.
If he wants to be standoffish and anything else, he can.
I’ll take my lumps, I deserve it.

The others leave except Alex.

“How you doing?” he asks.

“I should be asking you that.”

“Day two in getting over Liz Parker and I haven’t stuck my head in the oven yet so I’m okay…really I am“ he smiles. “So…”

I know what he’s waiting for and reluctantly I tell him.

“We talked. Xan and I are moving in with him for the time being.”

“Makes sense. And…”

“And that’s it for now. I want to focus on Xan and so does Max. You may think that he and I belong together and I admit I do have feelings for him but after all that’s happened I don’t think we can get together.”

“Give it time,” he advises.

When it comes to the me and Max thing, I must be the only sane person between us.

“If you want to believe that. Go on ahead,” I tell him.

“You know I love you right?,” he asks. “And I’ll be there for you if you need me?”.

I blink back tears. Alex is just the best person in the world.

“I know and I’m grateful,” I tell him.

Max looking through the blinds gets my attention.

Alex follows my gaze. “Looks like your…live in partner wants to see you.”

“I should be out by tomorrow so swing around the house later on if you want,” I tell him.

He smiles, a slow sad, wistful curve of the mouth which breaks my heart. “I might just do that.”

Max’s POV

I clench my teeth and then relax as Alex leaves. There’s too much going on to deal with him. He’s not one of my top priorities. The woman he just left is.

I enter the room.

“How are you doing?” I ask.

“A little bit tired, sore in places I never thought could get sore, but I’m okay. You?”.

“A lot tired but I’m okay too.”

I shove my hands into my front pockets and just stare at her for longer than necessary.

I think I‘m making her uncomfortable because after a while, she asks me what I’m doing here.

“I had to see you,” I reply.

It’s as simple as that. I had this desire to see her and just went with it.

“I gotta tell ya, if you plan to use that line to lure me into your bed and knock me up, it’s too late, been there done that,” she jokes.

I slowly make my way over to her bed.

“Except you did the luring.”

“Woman’s prerogative and all,” she grins.

That’s as much as I can take, I capture her lips in mine and kiss deeply, lazily and thoroughly.
When she breaks away, I miss her immediately.

“Max.”

I place my finger on her lips to silence her. “I just needed to do that,” I tell her.

I kiss her softly on her forehead. “Need me to drive you home tomorrow?”.

“Noah’s got it covered,” she replies.

If the press are there he won’t.
But I don’t tell her that. She doesn’t need anymore stress right now.

Liz

Max just kissed me.
I don’t know why, I don’t know how- of course I know how but I don’t know why and frankly I don’t have the energy to try and work him out.
I’m just going to pretend that it never happened because I have a son who’s going to need me and we’re moving in with his father who just kissed me.

I expel a tired confused breath. “I need to think.”

Max’s POV

As I dreaded, the press somehow got wind that Liz is discharged today and have set up camp where they can.

I just filled Noah in on the plan of driving out through the back but he disagrees.

“Liz won’t agree to it,” he firmly tells me.

“Why the hell not?!”.

Who is he to speak on her behalf?!

“She won’t see the point. I can pull up and you and her can slip in. All they’ll have is a few pictures and leave it. That’s what she’ll tell you. Trust me, I’ve known her a lot longer than you have,” he replies.

I consider his comments and grudgingly agree that he is right, he had known Liz a lot longer than I have. He knows her better than I do. I kind of hate that but what can you?

“I’ll go tell her.”

“Max, what do you want with Liz? What’s your end game?” he asks.

“To love her and spend the rest of my life with her,” I reply.

He considers that for a moment before speaking. “Then I should tell you a thing or two about her. This whole thing with the two of you, her lying to you. She didn’t think about you when she was doing it, now, she will.

She’ll think about how she hurt you and she’ll feel incredibly guilty. That’s one thing you’re going to have to deal with and it’ll be a lot of guilt because after just giving birth and having to deal with what she did to you plus the fact that she’s not quite over the way you treated her before- Liz can create complex characters with all colours of the rainbow decorating them but when it comes to her and the choices she makes, it’s just black and white. There’s no grey, red or yellow or blue. Once she decides on something, that’s it. You’ll have a hell of a time changing her mind. I’m telling you this because you’re going to have a hell of a time convincing her of your end game.”

I listen to him because he’s known Liz longer than I have. He knows her better than I do and because I know he’s right.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I tell him.

“You hurt her again,” he warns, “I’ll beat you to a bloody pulp.”

“Noted.”

“Hey.” She’s looks really good. She’s not wearing anything special, but she’s back in normal clothes and she’s smiling. “Wasn’t expecting you here but I’m glad you came. We need to set up some rules about my moving in with you.”

“Okay.”

“First off, I have to pay some sort of rent-”

“Out of the question,” I interrupt.

She stops packing her bag and stares at me as if I‘ve just told her I was an alien or something. “Max, I’m not living under your roof for free.”

“Why not? I don’t mind,” I tell her.

“I do!.”

I don’t see what the fuss is about.

“You’ll be raising our son, I don’t care about rent, I have enough money,” I tell her.

“It’s not about the money, it’s the principle. I don’t want to sponge off you.” She bites down on her lower lip and I can tell she’s trying to figure out a way we can both win. “If I let go of the rent thing how about, we split groceries and everything we buy for Xan and I’ll take care of myself.”

“Deal.”

If that’ll keep her satisfied then that’s what we’ll do.

“Good. I was going to see Xan before I leave, want to tag along?”.

“Well seeing as he’s my son and all, I might as well make the effort…Liz the press are outside.”

Her smile drops away. “Lovely.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It comes with who you are,” she shrugs, “…so what’s the plan?”.

I tell her Noah’s plan and she agrees.

“So they get a few pictures and go. That’s fine, better than us sneaking out the back or something. They‘d probably expect us to that and have set up camp there.”

I didn’t think of it like that.

“Yeah.”

“You should come around tomorrow sometime,” she tells me, “we need to plan, make lists”.

“How about I’ll pick you up tomorrow, we can come see Xan, we can plan and make lists on the way.”

“That works for me.”

She hasn’t said anything about the kiss. I didn’t think she would. I won’t. I don’t know why I did it- well I do, it’s because I love her but I can’t make a habit out if it just yet. I have to bide my time and take it slow but eventually, I’ll have Liz Parker exactly where I want her.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, I know it's been a long while since the last update, longer than I planned actually but RL is busy right now, but I hope the length of the part makes up for it.

anonymousarfan
alana
Alma
behrlyliz
BehrObsession
BelevnDreamsToo
begonia9508
brighteyes
cherie
Dreamer06
Earth2Mama
Emz80m
extingman
Jason's Lover
Liz86000
LTL - Michael's opinions on the Liz will be explored in the next part :wink:
nitpick23
RASaero611
Roswell 10/2/00
Rhbadcat
shortykms
Smac
su-lyn

Thanks for showing your love for this fic guys. Here's the next part...

PREVIOUSLY

“You should come around tomorrow sometime,” she tells me, “we need to plan, make lists”.

“How about I’ll pick you up tomorrow, we can come see Xan, we can plan and make lists on the way.”

“That works for me.”

She hasn’t said anything about the kiss. I didn’t think she would. I won’t. I don’t know why I did it- well I do, it’s because I love her but I can’t make a habit out if it just yet. I have to bide my time and take it slow but eventually, I’ll have Liz Parker exactly where I want her.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 19

Liz’s POV

The next time I walk into Max’s house again, I look at it with different eyes. This place is going to be my home for at least five months, that’s the initial time frame he and I decided upon. After that…we’ll see what happens.

I’m taking time off work to be at home with Xan. Max is taking time off work too. I’ll admit that it came as a shock to me that he’d want to give up acting for a while because it’s what he loves to do, but I guess he’s a father now and wants to put the needs of his son first.
I’m not quite used to the idea of Max, the Max who partied and slept around a few months ago, as being this person who now wouldn’t mind staying in and not partying.

As he shows me the backyard, I remember that, we didn’t get around to the sleeping around part during our discussion.
I decide to bring it up later on.

Going around Max’s house as his roomie is different because he points out things that I’ll have to know when I’m living here like alarm codes and what not.

We then go upstairs to sort out the sleeping arrangements. It suddenly gets awkward between us or maybe I’m the one being awkward, but being up here reminds me of that day I came to the house and wouldn’t take no for an answer.
I wonder if he’s thinking about it too. From the way he’s sudden silence, I think so.

I wonder if he regrets it.

My getting pregnant I know wasn’t in his plans, having a child now certainly wasn’t in mine. He loved his life before me, with Tess and his open relationship, getting laid by a different girl each week…then I come along and get pregnant and disrupt his life and he, being decent when it comes to things like this, does the right thing - has me move in with him so he can spend time with his son.

Don’t get me wrong, I know Max loves Xan very much, but I can’t help but feel guilty for making him change his life so much on account of my irresponsibility.

“Liz?”.

His touch jostles me from my thoughts and I find myself in the room we made love, which he moved into but moved out of again, he tells me.

“Why?” I ask.

“Well, I thought that since this was where the magic happened, so to speak,” he grins. I roll my eyes. “We can make this Xan’s room. I’ve moved back to my original room and I was thinking that you can have the room next door and then I can arrange for us to have doors linking us to Xan’s room.”

“Wow, you’ve thought about this a lot.”

He shrugs nonchalantly.

I take a look at the room next to Xan’s. It’s as big as Max’s room with an en-suite bathroom and a good view. It‘s bigger than my own bedroom.

“It’ll do,” I tell him.

“You’re okay with the plan?” he asks with hopeful eyes.

“Yeah. Only how much is it going to cost?”, I ask.

“I’ll take care of it.”

Here we go.

“Max.”

“Liz. If you didn’t like my idea, I was going to fight you on it. I want to do this, let me do this,” he pleads.

I hesitate before replying. “Okay.”

His eyes light up like fireworks for an instant and then dim to cool amusement. “You’ve got this whole have-to-chip-in-with-everything idea and while I appreciate your offers, I have more money than I know what to do with and if I want to spend it on making us work or anything else, I will,” he tells me. “I don’t want you feeling like you have to chip in, I don’t want you to and don’t expect you to. We clear?”.

The authoritative tone in his voice takes me by surprise in two ways: it makes me acquiesce to his request and secondly it’s unexpectedly arousing.

“Clear,” I reply.

I wince slightly and resist the urge to rub my breasts, preparing breast milk for Xan is taking a toll.

“I could rub them for you,” he offers with a sly smile.

I roll my eyes and walk down the hall with him following behind me, might as well put a damper on things.

“We haven’t talked about sleepovers,” I begin.

We stop at the top of the stairs.

“Sleepovers?” he asks.

“Max, I’ve interfered enough with your life already, I know women stay over here sometimes-”

“Woah-”.

He tries to interrupt but I’m not letting him, I need to get this over and done with.

“And I was just wondering-”

“Wait a minute-”

Maybe if I go down the stairs, he’ll stop interrupting and I can finish.

“How-”

“Woah-”

Or maybe not.

“How that would work with a screaming baby next door,” I finally finish.

We reach the bottom of the stairs at the same time that he grabs hold of my wrist to stop me from going anywhere.

“What?” I ask with a tired sigh.

Eyes wide, he replies with a question. “I have women over?”.

“You did a few months ago and true you’ve been a no-dater since we met back up again, but…” I trial off with a helpless shrug.

“You don’t expect it to last,” he finishes.

“No, do you?”.

“Yes! LIZ!”.

His shout startles me, so does the fire in his eyes. “You’re angry,” I note.

Why would he be angry at me for bringing up a valid point?

“Of course I’m angry, you’re suggesting that with my son in this house, I’m going to go and have sex with someone else?!”.

“Can you see how awkward it could be?” I ask, but he ignores me, apparently, he’s on a roll.

“Not only that,” he continues, “when you both move in, that I’d have the audacity to bring someone home and have sex with them when you and Xan are in the rooms next to me?!”.

“It’s inconvenient I know,” I agree, “so here’s a thought, on nights or days when you’re going to sleep around, just let me know and Xan and I could go back to my place or you could take your woman-friend to a hotel.”

He stares at me as if I’ve grown two heads and lost my mind for ten puzzling seconds.

“Nooo,” he slowly enunciates.

“No to which idea?”.

Any of them.

“I don’t understand.”

“No you really don’t,” he mutters more to himself than to me. “Liz, I’m not bringing any lays home or anywhere else. You and Xan are my priority now. I don’t want to have sex with anyone.
I have no desire to handle my sex life the way I did before,” he tells me.

I believed him once when that promise came with hints of more than friendly affection and I got screwed over.

“If memory serves, things have a way of just happening with you Max, so if something you didn’t plan on happening happens, just choose plan a] or plan b] and give me a call okay?”.

I turn away from him, try to make space between us but his hand is still around my wrist and he pulls me back.
“You won’t believe me if I tell you that I don’t need those plans will you?” he asks.

“I believe that you believe that right now, but who knows what the future holds?”.

He stares at me for a few seconds and I have no idea what’s running through his mind.

He releases my wrist with a sigh. “What about you? What are the rules or plans if you start to date?”.

“Date within our preliminary five month period? Are you crazy? I’m just coming out of a relationship with Alex, I’ve just had a baby, I’m moving in with you, the father of that baby and I’m hashing out a deal with Fox-”

“Fox really?”.

“Yeah,” I smile remembering the news. “Quinn and I decided this morning”.

“That’s good news.”

“Yeah and not my point. My point is, I have a lot to deal with and starting another relationship is way way way down my list of things to do.”

He nods then takes a step toward me and leans down slightly so our foreheads meet. I‘m hit with a bout of claustrophobia of the personal type. He‘s too close, I can‘t breathe, but if I step away, that‘s like asking him to continue the chase. However much it costs me, I stand still.

“The way you feel about not wanting a relationship is the way I feel about having random sex,” he mummers.

Woah.

“Surprised?” he asks.

I swallow down air. “Quite,” I reply.

When I think I’m going to pass out, he steps away from me and grins. “There’s plenty more where that came from Parker.”

I guess there is.

“We should head out to see Xan and after that, I’m taking you out to dinner,” he tells me.

He’s reset the tone and thankfully it’s one I can work with.

“Ah, so we can add more fuel to the rumours about us being a couple with wedding bells in the distance?” I tease.

“Do you care?”.

“Not when I gotta eat.”

I don’t care what the gossips say, not really. It’s amusing to read and field phone calls from curious friends and the press. It’s not like we’re being hounded and even if we were, I’d deal with it because Max does.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

Max’s POV

I place the box on the floor of Liz’s new room, complete with a door adjoining to Xan’s room.

I love how fast money talks.

The others are downstairs relaxing. We’re upstairs staring at each other. To be more precise, I’m staring at her and enjoying it too because I can tell she’s unnerved and flustered.

“That’s the last of it,” I tell her.

“Great, I’ll go get a drink, you want anything?”.

She looks ready to bolt.

“Coke,” I answer with a lazy smile.

“Coming right up.”

I grin as she basically flees from the doorway. I love giving her those looks that show her a little of how I feel about her.
She always looks puzzled, then flusters off and runs. I’m going to let her do that for now.

I look around the room now filled with her things. It’s not my endgame, as Noah calls it, but it’s a step towards it. Between handling the press, spending time with Liz and Xan, fielding my parents’ calls and sorting the house out for Liz, these past two weeks have been hectic, but everything’s coming together.

I’m under no illusion about where Liz and I stand. She thinks I’m doing this because I have a responsibility to her and Xan, not because I love them both, that hasn’t even entered her mind.
I’ll let her go on thinking that for now, I want the past to be irrelevant for a while, so she can get a chance to know the person I’ve become, so she can tell the difference and truly believe me when I tell her that I love her.

My cells rings, a glance at the caller id makes me slightly apprehensive.

“Hi Tess.”

“Hey handsome, just got back in the country, heard you and Liz had a son. Congratulations.”

“Um thanks.”

I haven’t talked to Tess or thought about her since we broke up. I guess that’s telling enough.

“Listen, I know we haven’t talked since the break-up months ago, so this is a little awkward but, I’m over it. I was hurt and angry at first, but I’ve had time to cool down and would like us to be friends.”

“Really?” I ask.

“We’ve known each other too long to throw everything away Max. I’m fine with being friends, are you?”.

“Yeah.”

I can’t believe she’s making this so easy.

“Good, then we should catch up sometime soon,” she suggests.

“Uh not too soon though because I have a lot going on and Liz and I need to settle into things before-”

“Your ex crashes the party?”.

My silence is answer enough.

She chuckles pleasantly. “Don’t worry, I got it. Whenever you’re ready, give me a call.”

“Sure.”

I hang up, pleased with our conversation.
Movement behind me whirls me around and I find Liz sipping a glass of water, holding my coke in her other hand, casually leaning against the door frame.

“I eavesdropped, sorry,” she apologises without sincerity.

“Don’t make habit out of it,” I respond in the same tone.

She hands me my drink. “I won’t.”

She turns and begins to walk out.

I can’t leave it like this. She’ll get ideas and that’s not going to make my job any easier.

“She wants to be friends,” I offer.

She pauses and turns, a cynical eyebrow in tow. “Friends with benefits?”.

“Friends.”

She considers this for a moment. “Well you’ve known each other a long time. It’s good to be friends.”

“It is. I told her that…”

She nods, “I heard.”

She holds back the smile but I can see it in her eyes along with relief.

“Hey Liz, did you want…” Maria trails off as she looks between us. “Am I interrupting?”.

I raise a questioning eyebrow to Liz.

This time she really does smile. “No,” she replies. “What were you looking to ask me?”.

I listen as they launch into a debate on whether Liz wanted to bring the, I quote, “cool funky lamp”, Maria gave her.
Throughout their conversation, Liz occasionally glances at me with a look that tells me that I’ve just scored a few points here.

Liz’s POV

The first night staying at Max’s doesn’t start out too awkward, but that’s when our friends are there. When they all traipse out of the house and I close the door behind them, when I’m left alone with Max, that’s when it gets awkward.

I smile at him suddenly shy and unsure of what to do. I’m in Max’s house alone with him. It’s going to be my home for five months and I’m standing around as if I’ve only known him for ten minutes.

“So.”

“So,” he chuckles, “this is foreign territory for both of us.”

“Except this is your house.”

“You got a control issue there Parker?” he asks.

“I’ll admit a little. It’s not like I haven’t lived with anyone before, I mean there was Alex and before that….” I break off. Alex is still a touchy subject with us, Max hasn’t talked to him yet and they both try to stay out of each other’s ways. “…I feel like a guest.”

“Don’t. I want you to feel like this is your home…for a little while at least. You don’t have to tip-toe around, just be,“ his eyes twinkle, “It’s me and you Liz, sharing a house.”

I smile, maybe I should loosen up. “You’re right. Let’s have some fun”.

“When you said fun, this wasn’t what I imagined,” he pouts.

Twenty minutes later, we’re in our pyjamas, sharing a bowl of popcorn and watching The Chronicles of Riddick on his big screen.

I shot him a narrow eyed sideways glance. “I’m not going to ask what you imagined.”

Smirking, his arm snakes around me, pulls me closer and at the same time gets his hands on more popcorn.

The week the doctors say Xan can finally come home, Maria throws me a baby shower.

Xan gets a lot of stuff, Maria had Max and I hold off till after the shower to shop for him. I get plenty of advice from my mother and friends who are mothers. It’s been three and half weeks since Xan was born. Max and I spent as much time as possible with him in hospital and finally, in a few days, he’s coming home.

I look at the baby gifts around me and somehow it becomes too terrifyingly real.

“I’m a mother,” I breathe.

“Well duh,” says Maria.

“It’s finally sunk in, I’m going to raise and shape this little boy…”

I feel a panic attack coming on and I can’t stop it.

“ …How do I do that? What if I’m terrible at it?”.

My mum is instantly by my side. “Liz breathe,” she orders me.

“Oh God,” I respond.

Breathe,” she sternly tells me.

The first breath is the hardest but after a few more tries, I finally get my breathing back on track.

“You’ve read the books, watched the videos, babysat other people’s kids and I’m hoping I’ve raised you well enough to look after that little boy,” she tells me.

“You have,” I agree.

“That’s how I know you can do this. I know you Liz, you’ll be an excellent mother.”

Coming from the woman who raised me, that means a lot.

“What about daddy dearest?” asks Cynthia, one of my work colleagues.

“I’ve seen Max with Xan, he’ll be a good father,” Maria replies.

Coming from Maria, who isn’t Max’s biggest fan, that means a lot too.

“I think so too,” I agree.

Crisis averted, freak out dealt with, life goes on.

Later on in the evening, Max and I talk about our fears, concerns and plans as we put the finishing touches to Xan’s nursery. We’re both nervous about being parents, but we gain strength from each other.

“It’s strange,” I tell him as we admire our handy-work.

“What?”.

“I feel like we’re playing house,” I reply.

Two weeks later, I know we’re not playing house.
Max and I prepared the best we could and what can I say about that preparation?
It doesn’t compare to the reality of being a parent… of being a mother.
It’s something I can’t describe, I mean, I hadn’t planned on becoming one at this age, but once it happened, I couldn’t walk away from it. I was given friendly advice on motherhood, read books, watched Dr. Phil’s motherhood and parenting episodes - all that knowledge was overpowered when I held our son in my arms, in his new room, knowing he’d depend on us, on me to take care of him.

The reality of another human being entirely dependent on me, is humbling especially when you love that person so much, so fast that it hurts…but in a really good way, in the best way possible.

I was well versed in the practicalities of motherhood, but not the emotions, I don’t think it’s something you can be prepared for.

The one thing people emphasised but not enough, in my opinion, is the loss of something extremely precious, something you truly don’t appreciate till it’s gone and that’s sleep.

Sweet, beautiful, blissful sleep, how I undervalued you.

I’m so lucky to have Max because we share that responsibility, we have a system. At first, we both used to get up when Xan cried, but eventually, we’d each take a shot at it while the other tried to get some sleep.

Max is really sweet, he adores Xan and it warms my heart to watch him just watch his or play with him.

We’ve had our string of visitors and well wishers but Max’s parents haven’t yet visited. They visited Xan at the hospital when I wasn’t there, but they haven’t seen him well and at home. The reason, care to guess, is me.

“I don’t want them coming to our home and insulting you or causing unnecessary stress so early on,” Max told me when I asked him about it.

He was trying to protect me, it was sweet and at the time, I agreed. I was in no emotional state to go head to head with his parents even though they have every right to be angry with me.

I walk into the living room with a gurgling Xan in my arms and catch him on the phone with his parents, arguing about…guess who?

“Yes mum, that’s what I’m saying…I know he’s your grandson and that the Parkers have seen him but…No Liz isn’t putting me up to this, I can’t believe you’re suggesting that…”

That’s it, I’ve had it. I was in no state to handle them a few weeks ago, but I’m more than ready now especially if they’re going to be thinking I’m hiding behind Max.

“Max,” I interrupt. “Eavesdropping. Sorry. You busy tomorrow evening?”.

“No.”

“If they’re free, invite them for dinner,” I tell him.

His jaw drops but he quickly picks it up. “You sure?.”

“It’s time. They really should see their grandson.”

“Okay.”

I listen as he relays the message and sorts out the arrangements, then hangs up the phone.

“It’s done.”

“You look like you just deployed a firing squad after me,” I tell him.

He shrugs indicating that it’s more or less the same thing.

I close my eyes momentarily before opening them again. Why does he not understand?

I cross the room to him. “Max, your parents have every right to be pissed at me, so do you, so does Michael, so does everyone who cares about you. I will face their wrath and get through it without an emotional breakdown, I promise.”

He plants a chaste kiss on my forehead and wraps his arm around my waist pulling Xan and I close.

“I’m not pissed at you Liz,” he tells me.

“You say that only because I look cute holding our son.”

I can say that because he’s told me that countless times.

He chuckles and them plays with Xan’s fingers. “I love you.”

By the way he tenses slightly, I don’t think he meant for that to come out, but it did and I know he meant it. He relaxes as Xan giggles back as if in reply.

I slowly breath out a breath I didn‘t know I was holding. I wish those words and the force of the sentiments behind them were aimed at both Xan and I, but that ship has sailed for me.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, here's the next part, it's a long part, I could have posted in parts but I wanted to post all this at once to set everything up.

thanks for all the feedback guys, kay_b - welcome to the fic :D

Just a quick note about my other fics, I'm putting them all on the back-burner for this fic. Things are coming to a head and going to get complicated and emotional, so I can't stretch myself.
My aim is to post an update a week, so here's hoping.

You guys were pretty worried about Tess...well you should be, but more worrying than Tess is Julian Reed.
Who? you ask?...read on :wink:

PREVIOUSLY

He plants a chaste kiss on my forehead and wraps his arm around my waist pulling Xan and I close.

“I’m not pissed at you Liz,” he tells me.

“You say that only because I look cute holding our son.”

I can say that because he’s told me that countless times.

He chuckles and them plays with Xan’s fingers. “I love you.”

By the way he tenses slightly, I don’t think he meant for that to come out, but it did and I know he meant it. He relaxes as Xan giggles back as if in reply.

I slowly breath out a breath I didn‘t know I was holding. I wish those words and the force of the sentiments behind them were aimed at both Xan and I, but that ship has sailed for me.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 20

Diane’s POV

I clench my teeth as Phillip rings the door bell.

“Remember, hear her out,” he tells me.

“I don’t need to hear anything from that girl,” I seethe.

We welcomed her into our lives with open arms and then she proceeded to manipulate my son and the emotions he so rarely wears on his sleeve. She kept my grandson away from me. I have a few words to say to her.

“Her name is Liz, Diane.”

“I know what her name his Phillip.”

“Then say it. Liz.”

I know he won’t leave it alone till I say it, so I do.

“Liz,” at the same time that the door opens and there stands the name I just let slip through my gritted teeth.

She welcomes us in with a polite smile that tries to hide the apprehension I see in her eyes.

“Mr and Mrs Evans,” she greets us.

“Please, it’s Phillip and Diane. I think we’re above formalities now,” Phillip smoothly tells her as she leads us towards the living room.

Phil’s handling this better than me. We’ve talked to Max, Leslies has put her thoughts in and yet I’m still angry with that long-haired casually dressed young woman in front of us. I just keep remembering my poor boy’s expression when he got the phone-call and the weeks after where he stayed in bed and had to be forced to eat something.

He had no hope, no spark in him. She broke him and I can’t forgive her yet for that.

The baby monitor clipped to her jeans comes with life.

“Liz,” Max’s voice comes through along with Xan’s cries.

“On it,” she responds. As we enter the living room, she leaves us for the source of the noise. Xan in a comfortable play area screaming his lungs out.

We watch as she picks him up, his cries subsiding almost immediately as she coos him to silence.

The tenderness between mother and child is disarmingly charming. I can see the love between mother and child; it’s instant and tangible. I grudgingly admit that counts in her favour.

“Such a mother’s boy.” Max appears from the kitchen, greets me with a kiss on the cheek before making his way over to Liz and Xan.

Then, it’s as if Phil and I aren’t even in the room. They talk to each other in low murmurs, play with Xan and touch a lot - there’s a lot of subtle, reassuring, even loving touching.

“They make a pretty picture,” comments Phil quietly.

I admit they do and it’s not pretentious, it’s real. I can’t ignore how happy they all look.

Philip clears his throat to get their attention, which from the way Liz’s cheeks tint pink and Max’s sheepish grin, I suppose it does.

“Xan should say hi to his grandma and grandpa don’t you think?” Liz asks.

In a few minutes, I’m cradling my beautiful grandson in my arms. I never thought I’d be a grandparent anytime son. Max wasn’t planning to settle down, but then he met Liz and things changed.

I meet her eyes. “He’s beautiful.”

“Thank you. I better go check on dinner,” she excuses herself.

Max wait’s a beat before offering to go help her.

“He loves her,” Phil tells me.

“I know,” I sigh.

Max looks at Liz the way he never did at Tess and when she’s not aware of it, she returns it in kind. That’ll be the problem I think, whether she can commit to him or not.

What am I thinking? She’s not worthy of him.
I haven’t been here long but I’m finding it hard to believe.

We spend time with Xan for a little while until we’re informed that dinner is ready.

Phillip’s POV

They both co-cooked them meal.

“I did all the complicated things while Max did the manual labour cutting,” Liz informs me.

“And?” Max prompts.

They’re sitting side by side opposite Diane and I. Liz glances at him and for a moment their foreheads touch and I see the spark - so does she because she quickly breaks the connection by turning back to us.

“And he cooked the lasagne”.

We erupt into smiles as Max beams proudly about his accomplishment.

“It’s damn fine lasagne son. Where did you learn to cook because I know it’s not from your mother,” I joke.

I’m proud of him. He’s taken on his responsibility and mistakes; he’s becoming the man I know he could be.

“Philip,” she playfully scolds me. I catch her hand and bring it to my lips. The gesture catches her by surprise, softens her mood - which is exactly what I want.

We partake in general conversation, we all know where it’s headed but no-ones quite ready to bring the topic up.

“So how are the living arrangements going?”.

No one except my lovely wife.

“Um, fine,” answers Max.

“Max tells me you’ve agreed to co-habit for five months Liz, what happens after that?” Diane asks.

“Mum-”

I don’t have to look under the table to know that Liz just gave Max a reassuring knee squeeze.

“Max it’s okay.” She turns to face Diane, “We’re not quiet sure on that but whatever we decide, I assure you, Xan isn’t going to be deprived of his father.”

“Like he was during the pregnancy?” she retorts.

“Diane,” I warn.

“Mum-”

“It’s okay,” Liz tells him soothingly. “You have every right to be angry for how what I did hurt your son, Diane, but know that I was never going to keep Xan from him. Things were a bit…complicated and I needed time. I’ve had that. Max and I have separate lives and share a child and even though we may not end up living together permanently, Max will still be his father and spend time with him as such. There won’t be any bitter child custody battles here.”

That’s good enough for me but I can tell from the fleeting expression on Max’s face that it’s not good enough for him. He wants it all and from what I’ve observed, so does Liz, she either just won’t let herself have it or believe it.

“That’s assuring for the moment, but considering your history of calculated manipulation-”

“Mother!”.

Once again, Liz silences Max with a look; she openly restrains him by squeezing his hand ontop of the table.

“You have a problem with me,” she simply states.

“I have a problem with deception in a mother,” she spits.

Liz does well masking the flinch but I see it. Max feels it and we’re both outraged.

“Diane, that’s unacceptable,” I tell her.

“Mum-”.

Liz gets up cutting Max off. “I’m going to check on Xan and then see to the desserts.”

The second she’s out of ear-shot, I open my mouth to reprimand Di but Max beats me to it.

How dare you”. His tone is low and menacingly lethal, I’ve never seen him this way before.

“Max honey-” she begins.

“How dare you come into my home and insult Liz like that!”.

“I have every right after what she did to you!”, she objects.

“No mum, you don’t. I want you out.”

“You can’t be serious,” she gasps.

“I’m deadly serious. Liz made a lot of effort tonight to make peace and you just threw it in her face. I won’t allow it.”

“Max what she did to you,” she protests.

“Are you forgetting what I did to her? Come on mum, I gave you the edited version but you can fill it out. The choices she made weren’t because she was cruel, it was because of me. I screwed up.
I messed up with her and she did what she had to do even though it hurt me. I was miserable for months, you saw me, you talked to me…and now, I’m finally getting some happiness and you’re not happy for me, why?. I love you mum, but if that’s how you’re going to treat Liz, I want you to leave.”

Di opens her mouth and then closes it again. I can read her emotions clearly, which is why I tell Max to go check on Liz while we talk.

I know what this is really about but it’ll help her and the situation if she admits it aloud.

“What’s this really about Di?” I ask her.

“He’s my little boy Phil, no matter how old he is, he’s still my baby and I want to protect him,” she begins tearfully.

“I want that too,” I tell her.

“She broke him. She didn’t just break his heart, she broke him and I couldn’t do anything to help him.”

“She broke him and she can fix him. That’s what this is about isn’t it?”.

She nods. “I didn’t care so much when he was with Tess and all those women. I disapproved, but I didn’t care. I wanted him to find someone special to settle down with, to have what we have, what Leslie and Colsen have and then he brought Liz over for dinner…and I thought- now I know that she’s it for him. The one to take care of him, to break him and fix him. The reality is not as easy to deal with as I thought it would be, it’s hard to let go and I took it out on her…this isn’t one of my best moments is it?”.

I hug her. “No it isn’t, but I love you anyway. Go talk to her.”

“If Max will let me get within a few feet of her.”

“Same room at best,” I tell her, “then you have to talk your way closer.”

Diane’s POV

I cautiously step into the living room to find Max soothingly talking to Liz. I stand there and just watch them for a moment before clearing my throat.

“Could I please have a moment with Liz?” I ask.

“So you can hurl more insults and abuse at her? I don’t think so,” Max replies.

“Max please, I know my behaviour was out of line and I apologize,” I focus on Liz, “but I really need to talk with you,” I plead with her.

“Go on Evans,” she tells him, “I’m a big girl, I can handle it.”

“You sure?”.

“There’s cleaning up to be done so why not get a head start?” she suggests.

“Okay.” He flashes me a warning look as he walks past me.

Liz tends to Xan, I wait until she stands up to face me.

We stare at each other in silence for a while. What humbles me is that she doesn’t frown, or narrow her eyes with hate at me, she just patiently waits.

“Why don’t we sit?” I suggest.

When we get comfortable on the sofa, I begin building a bridge. “I just again want to apologize for what I said to you back there.”

“You’re his mother, you just want to protect him,” she smiles empathetically. “I understand.”

“So do I, about why you did what you had to do. I know my reaction paints Max as the victim, but I know my son. I know what he did to you and even though I was angry about the way you misled him, knowing his behaviour in the female department…I understand.”

“Thank you,” she beams at me, “it means a lot. I also want you to know that what I said back there was true, it still is my intention to make sure that Xan gets to know his father.”

“I know, I believe you. I also want you to know, that I never really thought you talked Max into keeping us from visiting, to be honest, I was jealous.”

Her eyebrows rise in surprise and I smile abashed. “Max was so protective over you, I felt like I was losing him,” I finish.

“He’s your son, he loves you, you’d never lose him,” she tells me.

I would have, some part of him, if I had continued my hostility towards you.

I don’t tell her this, I can’t interfere with the tenuous relationship they’ve developed thus far. Liz will see it when she’s ready - that he would do anything for her.

“I like you Liz. I know I haven’t acted like it, but I like you. You’re good for my son,” I tell her.

She just smiles accepting the compliment. Her modesty is endearing, I can see why Max chose her to give his heart to.

“I hope we’ve bridged the gap so to speak.”

“We have,” she confirms.

“Think my son will be as forgiving?” I ask.

“I don’t see why he shouldn’t once you explain and if he doesn’t, I’ll talk him ‘round,” she answers.

I have no doubt that she will.

“Then there’s only one thing to do.” I hug her with feeling, “ welcome to the family.”

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

Liz’s POV

It’s been three months since I moved in with Max.
It’s taken me a while to call it home, but since we’re about to share our first Christmas with Xan, how can I not call it home?

I’m busy in the kitchen making a list of things that need to be done for our Christmas party. Since the house has plenty of room, both mine and Max’s family are spending Christmas here. Along with that, since Michael and Maria threw the Christmas party last year, this year, the task falls to us.
Max wanted to leave the arrangements to his PA, Jason, but I wasn’t up for that, so Jay and I are co-planners.

“Hey.” He stops by the kitchen on his way out and spends a few minutes interacting with Xan.

“You heading out soon?” I ask nonchalantly.

“Yeah, shopping with Mike and then meeting up with Tess,” he answers.

“Right.”

How could I forget? Tis the season of good will to all mankind afterall.

Max decided that maybe it was time to try out the friendship Tess put on offer. He told me to gauge my reaction and what did I say?

I told him that I didn’t have a problem with it and that I hoped it all worked out, which is truth. I don’t have a problem with him rekindling a relationship with Tess, I don’t have a say in who he spends time with. I don’t have a right to have a problem with it because it’s none of my business.

“Slut wants back in his pants,” concluded Maria when I told her of our discussion.

“They were together for a long time and they were friends. She probably just wants to salvage the latter,” I told her.

“Please Liz, don’t insult my powers of being able to detect evil conniving bitches. There is no way that Tess is going to give up on Max without a fight. She figures she’ll worm her way back into his life, your living arrangement is temporary anyway, so after you’re gone, she can slip back in and seduce him into slipping a rock on her finger after you’ve made him a one woman man.”

Amazed that she’d said all that without taking a breath, I shook my head. “If that’s what she wants and what he wants, then it’s not really any of my business is it?”.

She opened her mouth to say something but stopped herself. She made it seem as if I have the power to affect Max’s relationships, which is completely ridiculous because he’s his own person…who is going out with his ex.
“You sure you’re okay with it?” he asks again.

“Yeah, go, make up,” I tell him.

He watches me for a few seconds. “Okay.”

He bends down to no doubt kiss me on the cheek but instead finds my lips.

It’s not the first time that it’s happened. Last month at the breakfast table, he was in a hurry to head to a meeting and missed my cheek and found my lips for a quick chaste kiss. He was nearly out of the door before he realised what he’d done.
Then he walked back into the kitchen where I sat staring after him exactly as he’d left me.

“I didn’t mean to do that,” he’d said.

“Hey, it’s okay. We live together, have a child together; husband rushing off to work kisses wife goodbye scenario, it’s okay, no harm done,” I told him.

“Okay…I’ll see you later then,” he responded slowly.

A few days later, on my way, the wife rushing out to a business meeting kisses the husband goodbye scenario happened. After that, we just accepted that it was given behaviour.

This kiss is different.
It goes beyond the given because it isn’t quick, it’s slow and torturously thrilling. It involves lip nibbling and tongue mating.
It flutters the butterflies in my stomach and sends volts of charge through my system.
This kiss makes me crave him, makes my body stand up of its own accord and meld into his. My arms find their home around his neck and his around my waist. Blood rushing through my ears drowns out Xan’s giggling and gurgles. Max and I are all there is until my lungs threaten to burst.
We part holding onto each other for support.

“Wow, that was bad,” he says stepping away from me.

“The kiss?” I ask.

I’d have something to say if he says yes because it definitely wasn’t bad.

“No, that was…wow” he replies.

“Yeah.”

“It’s just, I didn’t mean to maul you like that.”

“You didn’t see me fighting you off or telling you stop,” I shrug. “I’d go as far as to say that I gave as good as I got.”

“You did.”

I watch as his eyes darken to an almost alien black. It sends shivers down my spine.

Okay time to reign it in.

“It’s been a while since you got some Max, I can understand the frustration,” I rationalise.

I’m still light headed but thank the Lord that I can still rationalise.

“That’s not what this is about,” he tells me.

I ignore him. I can’t afford to listen.

“We’re obviously attracted to each other, Xan wouldn’t be here otherwise, but I don’t do best-friends with benefits.”

“Neither do I,” he responds.

“So let’s chalk this up to an early Christmas present for both of us and,” I take a step towards him and kiss him on the cheek, “…have a good day.”

He stares at me for a few seconds and then pulls me into a deep kiss that leaves me wondering why the hell I’m still standing.

“Merry early Christmas Liz.”

I wait until I heard the door shut before breathing normally.

“What the heck was that?”.

Michael’s POV

For the billionth time since I proposed, I’m questioning my sanity regarding the decision to spend the rest of my life with Maria Deluca.

Do I really want to spend my time arguing with her to hurry up and get in the car or I’ll without her?
Do I really want to argue on the way over to Max and Liz’s on me being nice to Liz?
Okay, I am certifiable because I do.

The wave of emotion that washes over me at random times, mostly when we’re in a heated interaction of some sort, rears up and has me staring at her as she rushes up to me.

“What? I’m ready,” she tells me.

I love her.

“Let’s go then,” I reply.

“Now about Liz,” she begins following after me.

Maria wants to take advantage of the January sales, so she’s going shopping with Liz while Xan spends time with Max and his parents, but somehow, she needed me to drive her over.
I know it’s a plan to get me and Liz to talk but it isn’t going to work.
Max may be able to let it go, but I can’t. I can’t let go of the way he was for months after he though that Liz was pregnant with Alex’s baby.
He and Alex have settled the score. Max understands why he did it and after a while, so did I. Liz asked him to, he was in love with her - what’s a guy to do?
My problem is with Liz and the fact that she asked him, knowing what that would do to Max.

Why would a person do that? I wonder as I watch the interaction between the two.
Especially someone who seems to be in love with him.

They kiss, on the lips, before Max heads out with Xan, leaving me, Liz and Maria.

“I need to use the bathroom, be right back,” she excuses herself.

Correction, leaving Liz and I.

We were never really friends before she got pregnant, as in we never talk, so silence is nothing new to us.

Remembering Maria’s no sex threat, I make an effort.

“So…how you been?” I ask.

“Good,” she replies.

“Good.”

Silence. I have no idea where to go from here.

“Yeah. Listen Michael, you’ve been silently disapproving for months, why don’t you just get it out,” she suggests.

Finally, something I can do right.

“I hate what you did to Max and I think you’re a bitch for it,” I tell her bluntly.

She nods accepting it. “As you went through Max’s pain with him and as he’s your best friend, you have every right to feel that way about me.”

Damn straight I do.

“Good.”

“Good.”

Silence. I’m beginning to hate it.

“Hell with this- Liz, I like you. I don’t want to hate you. What you did to Max was cold-”

“What he did to her before that was damn worse,” interrupts Maria.

Just perfect. I don’t need a pissed off fiancee right now.

“Maria,” Liz jumps in, but from the lightening flash in her eyes, I can tell it won’t do any good.

“Would it kill you to try?,” she rants. “Max is over it, his parents are over it, why don’t you get over it?”.

“Because I don’t understand why if she loved him, she would do that to him!”, I shout back.

Hands on hips, she stands in front of me while Liz waits patiently by the sidelines. “You know what? If you did what Max did to Liz and I was Liz, I’d do exactly what she did…maybe not have someone else pretend to be the father but if it needed to be done, then I would.”

Well that knocks me for six.

“You would? Why?” I ask.

“Because it’s not about hurting someone you love, it’s about doing what’s best for all parties involved. Max was an ass, Liz was a mess and there was a baby on the way. An ass and a mess wouldn’t have done as good a job as they’re doing now. I mean look at where they are now because of all that happened.”

I’m quiet now because I’m thinking. I’m thinking that maybe she’s right.

“I really don’t want to be the cause of an argument between you guys,” says Liz gently.

“You’re not,” Maria responds. “Is she honey?” she asks me.

“No”. I meet Liz’s eyes, “you’re not. We’re okay now,” I smile.

“Really?” she asks.

“Really,” I reply.

“Good.”

“Good.”

Maria’s gaze shifts between us. I know she’s expecting some kind of sappy hug but Liz and I aren’t huggers with each other. This is as good as she’s getting.

“Okay,” she finally gives up, “now that’s done. Let’s shop.”

Thank God that’s all I needed to do. Shopping with two girls is more torture than what I just went through. I guess it wasn’t too bad, I just needed to get what I felt out to Liz. I don’t hate her, at first maybe but I just held onto it because I couldn’t say anything. Now I have, I’m back to liking her again. Besides, she’s whipped Max into shape, I don’t want to be the only married one between us, so here’s hoping.

Max’s POV

This is the last month of our temporary co-habitation. The past few months have flown by, Liz and I have had arguments over the trivial household stuff and have gotten used to each other’s habits, like my tendency to drink from the orange juice carton and excess of takeaway orders. I’ve stopped both by the way in favour of a glass and alternating cooking nights with Liz.

I’ve spent this time showing her how much I’ve changed. I hope she can see it, if not, I’m going to have to think of something else. I’m not prepared to give up on us, we’re a family and I want us to stay that away, but the decision has to be mutual.

I hope to God that it’s mutual because I can’t imagine living in this house without Liz and Xan.

Right now, we’re sat in the kitchen having breakfast.
Liz is alternating feeding herself and Xan breakfast as I sort through our mail.

“Here’s one for you.” I hand her a gold envelope with neat handwriting on it.

She pauses her eating and feeding to open it. I register that it’s a card before going back to sorting my mail.

“Anything interesting?” I ask.

“Um no.”

The tone of her voice has me looking at her. There’s a nostalgic smile on her face as she tucks the card back into the envelope.

“Just an early birthday card from someone I haven’t heard from in a while,” she adds.

“Oh.”

She goes back to her breakfast and I think nothing more of the card. If I had asked more questions, I would have done things differently.

Her birthday’s coming up, a day before valentine’s day and I’m organising her a surprise party which so far, has stayed a surprise.
I’ve found the perfect present for her, I can’t wait till she sees it and after that, I’m going to ask her to move in with me permanently. She seems happy here and the house is already filled with her touches and we’re getting along great.

Except for the fact that she hardly ever looks at me anymore, we get along great. It's not like she doesn't look at me, she just doesn't look into my eyes, she never meets my eyes anymore and I have no idea what that is about. It's frustrating.

I thought that maybe rekindling my friendship with Tess would make things awkward between us, but it hasn’t and while I’m glad, I’m slightly disappointed that she doesn’t seem the least bit jealous or annoyed by it…or maybe she is and she’s hiding it. I hope so.
Everyone finds it hard to believe that Tess and I are just friends, especially with the gossip columns whispering rumours of a reconciliation between us. I told Liz that it wasn’t true, that I hadn’t kissed let alone done anything sexual with Tess.
Her response to that was that, it was none of her business if I did anyway.

None of her business?!
It should be her business.
I should be her business.
Damnit! When is she going to finally realise that?.

I get frustrated at time, I’ll admit that.
She’s completely ruled out the option of an us and it’s working trying to get her to open the once place I can’t get to, her heart.

I’m not giving up thought and to my surprise, Noah is a constant source of support.

“You’re in it for the long haul remember? I told you it wouldn’t be a walk in the park,” he told me during our frequent progress calls.

“I know, she’s just so…”

“Black and white?” he supplied.

“Yeah.”

“She’s worth it though man, hang in there”.

I’m hanging in there, but it’s getting harder and harder to stop myself from getting too close, physically, to her.
She’s not making it easy since she’s so comfortable with me now. She’ll sit on my lap, kiss me on the lips - we do that after reading Xan to sleep sometimes, it drives me insane.
We somehow end up holding hands and before we separate, we kiss goodnight. And it’s not a small, quick peck, but a deep slow temporary merging of two souls before we part again and I’m left alone to head to my bedroom and ache for her.

She snuggles up to me when we’re sitting on the couch as if it’s nothing. Her scent wrecks havoc on my system and around the house when she’s just relaxing, she wears these skimpy short and bra-less vest tops - her nipples protrude when she’s cold, or I guess when she’s aroused.
That’s the only sign I get that I torture her as much as she tortures me.

Julian Reed’s POV

She got the card today. I hope she likes it, it took me forever to pick out.
She won’t call or email, we don’t write for trivial things like that, only the major summaries and I got hers a few months ago.

It should have changed everything, but it changed nothing.

“Mr Reed?”, Abby my long-term secretary and trusted friend makes her way to my desk. “I just need you to verify the details of the trip and you’ll be all set to go.”

I glance over the file she just handed me and quickly scan the details and see that everything is in satisfactory order and I tell her so.

“I’ve rescheduled all your meeting for the next two weeks and notified the appropriate parties to prepare for your arrival,” she tells me.

“Thanks Abby. Oh and don’t forget about-”

“The twenty-five red roses you want delivered to her a week before her birthday,” she finishes. “Don’t be so nervous, you’ll do fine.”

“I’m not nervous,” I disagree.

Abby has been with me for as long as I can remember, next to Liz, she’s the next person who knows me best, so it’s no surprise that she doesn’t buy my apparent nonchalance.

“I should see you in three weeks with a fiancee by your side,” she tells me.

“If she says yes, it’ll be a month and after that, things are going to change.”

“I look forward to meeting her,” she smiles knowingly.

“Don’t have letters to type?” I tease.

“Yes sir,” she winks at me before disappearing behind the door to her office.

I try to focus on work but I can’t.
It won’t be long now before we meet again.

Leaving the thriving bright lights and busy New York life for sunny California, I muse, only Liz Parker could get me to do that.

willowbv
Addicted Roswellian

Post by willowbv »

AN: Hey all, as I was planning part 21, I realised that it would be a very long part so I've decided to split it into two, so I can juggle updating with lovely exam revision.
So here's the first part now and I'm hoping to post the next part by Saturday.

I'm also changing the rating from Teen to Mature because I've been working on some future scenes and I think they fall more into the Mature rating, so thought I might as well change now.
Smac wrote:I don't ever remember anything about a Julian, so where the heck did he come from?.

Yeah, Julian is a bit of mystery man and as such the depth of his connection and relationship with Liz will be revealed bit by bit. I wasn't sure if introducing a new character in the middle of this fic would work but I'm hoping once everything is explained it'll all make sense. It's a heck of a look of fun to write, I'll tell you that.

All I can say is unlike our Max, Jules won't waste anytime making clear what he wants and making moves to get it, which means, quite a bit of angst...:wink:

extingman wrote:I love this story. But your Max is still clueless when it comes to Liz. First of all why in the h*ll would he rekindle a friendship with his ex when he is trying to have a long term relationship with Liz? Second, if he wants Liz to be a permanent occupant in his home, why is he waiting until the last hour so to speak?!

Yeah, poor Max is new to the whole real committed relationship thing and he thinks that he has all the time in the world to win her over...he really doesn't :wink:

anonymousarfan
alana
begonia9508
BehrObsession
BelevnDreamsToo
cherie
dreamer19
Dreamer06
Emz80m
Earth2Mama
extingman
FamersAmers
foreverdreamer15
Jason's Lover
kay_b
LTL
mlover25
Mica - thanks for taking the time from your college work to leave me feedback :D
nitpick23
RASaero611
Roswell 10/2/00
Timelord31
Smac
su-lyn

This one's for you guys, thanks for the feedback....

PREVIOUSLY

“Thanks Abby. Oh and don’t forget about-”

“The twenty-five red roses you want delivered to her a week before her birthday,” she finishes. “Don’t be so nervous, you’ll do fine.”

“I’m not nervous,” I disagree.

Abby has been with me for as long as I can remember, next to Liz, she’s the next person who knows me best, so it’s no surprise that she doesn’t buy my apparent nonchalance.

“I should see you in three weeks with a fiancee by your side,” she tells me.

“If she says yes, it’ll be a month and after that, things are going to change.”

“I look forward to meeting her,” she smiles knowingly.

“Don’t have letters to type?” I tease.

“Yes sir,” she winks at me before disappearing behind the door to her office.

I try to focus on work but I can’t.
It won’t be long now before we meet again.

Leaving the thriving bright lights and busy New York life for sunny California, I muse, only Liz Parker could get me to do that.

Nice to meet you anyway - part 21a

Liz’s POV

“I have news,” Alex begins.

I tear my gaze from the twenty-five red roses set on the table to refocus on him again. It’s only then that I realise that he’s dressed in a suit. Not a work suit but in a, black-jacket-and-trousers, white-shirt-unbuttoned-at-the-top going-out-to-dinner suit and he’s nervous.

Shaking away the last few pieces of memory, I blink at him. “What news?”.

Playing airplane with Xan one last time, he puts him back in his play area. Since Alex and Max have come to an understanding, Alex has frequented the house more, but I don’t think that it’s just the peace with Max that has him visiting more; he can stand to be around me again - which means that he’s healing and that makes me happy.
I’m happy to have my friend back.

“I have a dinner date tonight,” he tells me.

I’m surprised. Surprised and delighted.
No twinge of hurt or jealousy, I’m happy for him. The fact that I’m not upset at all, just adds more weight to the theory of us being too perfect for each other. We are just really good friends.

“Laurie?” I guess.

Laurie is a woman he works with, they were just friends until we broke up. Then they spent more time together, became good friends. From the way he talked about her, I knew where they were headed but I wanted him to experience the wonder of finding out on his own.

“Yeah. How’d you know?” he asks surprised.

“It’s a girl thing. She’s decided that if you two dated, she wouldn’t be a rebound. Tsk Tsk Alex, just under five months to get over me? I’m hurt. Crushed. Devastated.”

“Never underestimate the quick healing powers of the heart with the aid of a beautiful woman,” he quips.
We share laughter and that’s when I really know that everything between us is wholly okay.

“I’m really happy for you Alex,” I tell him.

“I’m happy for me too ‘cause I gotta tell you Liz, there were some dark times when I thought you’d ruined all my future relationships.”

“I’m flattered. Didn’t know I had that much pull,” I tell him.

He inclines his head at the roses. “Those expensive reds are proof that someone else believes you’ve got that kind of pull. You and Max must be getting your act together huh?”.

Max send me roses? Yeah right.
He went out with Tess last night to some star do where she needed a date at the last minutes. He phoned later to say that neither he or Tess were fit to travel so he’d see me in the morning.

It’s 6pm late afternoon and Max is still nowhere to be seen.

Well at least he was decent enough not to bring her back here, they probably went to her place or a hotel.

I can’t lie anymore and say that it doesn’t bother me, because it does.
I can’t shut down my feelings and try to convince myself that I’m not hurt, that I’m not near breaking point because I’m teetering over the edge.

I blink back trying to sooth the stinging in my in my eyes, hoping that Alex doesn’t notice.

But he does.

“Liz?”.

“Are you definitely sure I had to tell about Xan, move in with him and you and me break up?” I joke weakly.

Everything was simpler back then, I didn’t hurt as much as I am now.

“I don’t get it, I thought you guys were getting along great.”

“We are,” I respond. “Max is a good guy, we get along, he’s a great father, he loves Xan so much.”

“So what’s the problem?” he asks.

He doesn’t love me.
I’m so pathetic.

“Liz, are you happy here?” he asks.

“I’d like to know the answer to that question too.” Max’s voice clear and cool hits us from the entrance to the living room.

His eyes are as cool as his voice, which means that there’s a shimmering temper beneath.
I don’t know why though, if he’s had a bad day, he’ll have no right to take it out on me.

“Eavesdropping, sorry.”

I know he’s not.

He’s not wearing the same clothes he left with yesterday.
What? Does Tess keep him some spares just in case?

“I didn’t hear you come in. Have a good day?” I ask him pleasantly.

“I’m going to get going.” Not wanting to get caught in the cross fire, Alex makes his excuses to leave.

“Alex?” I call.

He pauses by Max and turns to me.

“When you and Laurie are solid, I’d like to meet her,” I smile.

“She’d like that,” he responds. “You’ll be okay?”.

From the intonation in his voice, I know what he’s really asking.

Can I handle Max?

“I’ll be fine,” I tell him.

Both Max and I wait until we know he’s left the house before speaking.

“I want an answer.” He doesn’t move from his position in the doorway.

“And you’ll get it,” I sigh picking up the baby monitor as I make my way to him. “But not in here.”

If voice levels rise, I don’t want Xan hearing.

I lead him to the den instead.

My heart’s pounding in my chest as I close the door and turn to face him.
He remains silent and watches me with dark and dangerous eyes.

“Well?” he demands.

I could say a lot of things, there’s so much that hasn’t been said between us but ultimately even if I said everything, I won’t end up where I want to be, so I guess I’ll start from the end.

“What do we think we’re doing here Max?” I ask suddenly tired.

“Why don’t you tell me Liz, because I’d certainly like to know.”

He’s going to make it hard for me. I can deal with that.

“We’re still playing house…and it’s slowly killing me,” I tell him.

He doesn’t have to say anything, the shock and bewilderment on his face urges me to make sense of what he just heard.

“We’re too different people with different lives sharing a son,” I continue, “and we’ve been living in this house pretending as if everything normal and fine…when it’s not. I agreed to this so you could get to know your son, because you didn’t have that chance when I was pregnant with him. We put our lives on hold for this, but in the last few months, yours has resumed…”

I think of the film projects he’s been considering, the production company he’s setting up, his budding relationship with Tess.

I think of Alex without dark circles in his eyes and a heavy heart.

I think of me, in this house, holding onto something that maybe never was in the first place.
I think of the gold envelope with a promise.
I think of the twenty-five roses on the living room table.
I think of Julian.

I think of me. I think of Max and Tess.
I think of Michael and Maria planning their wedding.

I think about all of this, of people moving on, living and of me, standing still and clinging onto an illusive hope.

“…I want to resume my life too. I’m going to be twenty-five years old Max…I don’t want to waste time being here, being in this-”

“Has living here been that much of a hell for you?” he snaps.

It’s not just his voice that snaps, it’s his control which he lost when I blinked and now I’m staring at a very incensed version of Max Evans.

I open my mouth to answer but my voice is drowned out by his anger.

“You haven’t lacked anything and I haven’t been mean, cruel or abusive to you. We smiled, we laughed, we took care of each other and our son-”

“I know we did!”, I tell him.

“Then why don’t you ever look at me anymore?!”.

He stands a safe distance away from me, which from the wild and furious energy emanating from him, I’d say is a very good thing. I’ve never really been scared of Max before, I mean sure he’s made my pulse trip all over itself, made my stomach twist in knots, throat dry and legs weak, but not because of some twisted sense of quivering fear and need.

Something is very wrong with me.

“I look at you,” I supply weakly.

“No.” I need to stop blinking because suddenly, he crosses the space between us and cuffs my wrist with his and to stop me from trying to make up for the space he took.

I feel his breath blow hot and furious on my face, our bodies touch and I’m suddenly very overheated.

“No.” With his other free hand, he tilts my chin up at him. “You look at my nose, my forehead, anything over or below the eye-line, but you never…,” his eyes dark and hungry pierce through mine, “…meet them or if on the rare occasion you do, you don’t hold them long enough, you never look at me. Why?”

Because it hurts me to.
Because over the past few months I’ve seen the change in you. I know the Max you are now and am painfully more in love with you than I ever was.

Because now that I really see you, I know I can’t have you because you don’t want me or love me like I love you.
Because if day to day I see and experience you gentleness, kindness and patience, your intelligence and talent all packed into that devastatingly handsome body of yours - when you smile at me, touch me, kiss me - without looking into your eyes, I can make it through to the next day and keep the regret from spilling out.
Because I can be near you, sit on your lap, kiss you, breathe you, have a little of you without looking into your eyes.
Because if I looked into your eyes, I wouldn’t say no the little you could give me when I know you deserve anyone else but me and to them, you’d give everything.

“Because…” I know this’ll hurt him, it’s hurting me to say it, but it’ll be better for us in the long run. “…I think it’s time Xan and I left. Time to go back to our normal lives.”

His arms fall limply back to his side. His eyes, those damn expressive eyes of his, are filled with shock, horror, hurt and loss.
He steps back and I can tangibly feel the wall between us.

“You’re leaving me?” he asks, his voice barely a whisper.

“Max, we’re not together. This was just temporary. Nothing between us is going to change in the next two to three weeks we have left, so this seems a good time as any. I mean, seriously, what did you think would happen after the five months was up? We couldn’t continue living like this, sooner or later, it would have gotten awkward for Tess or whichever woman you brought home-”

“I told you, I’m not interested in dating.”

Well how about just plain fucking? Because that’s what you’re probably doing with Tess.

“Right now maybe, but what happens later when you meet someone?”. Thinking of Jules who may or may not be a possibility, I add, “What if I meet someone?”.

Gold lightening explodes in darkness. “Who were the roses from?” he asks suddenly.

“What?”. I feign innocence.

I don’t want to start talking about a situation more complex but somehow a lot simpler than my current one.

“The roses on the table,” he continues, “I thought they were from Alex but they’re not are they?”.

“I think it’s best if we leave tonight. I’ll pack up what we need for tonight and I’ll come get the rest in the morning,” I tell him instead.

He reels himself back from an outburst and suddenly he’s sad and I feel unbelievably guilty.
“No. Last time you left me, you just left a note. I want to say goodbye this time. I’ll help you pack, drive you tonight.”

“No.” I can’t stand him helping me to pack. “Spend some time with Xan, while I pack. You can drive.”

That’s all I can take before fleeing the den and run up to my room to pack.

Last edited by willowbv on Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.