Please Remember - (AU, M/L, MATURE) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Chapter 22

Max began reading the song sheets one by one, song by song, word by word, meaning by meaning. He finally knew what he meant to Liz. He was happy about that. Liz was looking for him too. She had spent her life longing for him, missing him. There was also something written between the lines that Max was able to read so clearly because he felt it too. Liz was aching for him as much as he ached for her.

Went through the attic today
Found a note you wrote packed away.
And I started reliving the past
When I saw his face.
Suddenly to my surprise
I felt a tear fall from my eyes.

The heart never forgets
No the heart never forgets.
You can find someone
And live your life
Put an old memory out of your mind
But the heart never forgets.

He didn’t know how he should react to that. On one hand he was happy because Liz had not forgotten him. But on the other hand, he knew how it felt to ache for someone and he wouldn’t wish it on anyone, more importantly on Liz. He knew what it was like to feel so empty inside and the one and only person who could fill up that emptiness is the one that caused it in the first place and there is nothing anyone can ever do about it…except her.

A face on a crowded street
An old movie on T.V.,
A song on the radio
Can bring it all back.
Years roll by,
One by one,
All things change,
But there's always someone,

The heart never forgets,
No the heart never forgets.
You can find someone,
And live your life,
Put an old memory out of your mind,
But the heart never forgets.

Max looked over at the slumbering beauty on his bed. He wanted to wake her already so he could hug her with all his might and never let go. He wanted to tell her so many things he had bottled up inside him for so many years. He was thankful that the others allowed him to have some privacy with her so they can talk the minute she wakes up.

'til my body is dust
'til my soul is no more
I will love you, love you
'til the sun starts to cry
And the moon turns to rust
I will love you, love you

But I need to know - will you stay for all
Time...forever and a day
Then I'll give my heart 'til the end of all
Time...forever and a day

As he continued to read, his eyes began to sting as the tears started to well. More words were read and soon his tears began to fall. He bit his bottom lip as it started to tremble. He wanted to cry out from the pain and longing that the songs bore. And to top it off, it was Liz who carried all this inside of her for years.

Cannot touch, cannot hold, cannot be together
Cannot love, cannot kiss, cannot have each other
Must be strong and we must let go
Cannot say what our hearts must know

How can I not love you
What do I tell my heart
When do I not want you here in my arms
How does one waltz away
From all of the memories
How do I not miss you when you are gone

He started to hate himself for not telling her the truth sooner. He didn’t know what she was going through. He had no idea she was suffering as much as he was. And he hated that he was the cause of Liz’s pain.

I don't want to call my friends,
They might wake me from this dream
And I can't leave this bed,
Risk forgetting all that's been

Oh I am what I am,
I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep,
I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide,
I cannot be, until you're resting here with me

After some time, Max decided to change into more comfortable clothes. He took a pair of jeans and a shirt from his closet and went into the adjoining bathroom to change.

Liz’s eyes began to move rapidly under her lids. She stretched on the soft bed and slowly opened her eyes. She looked around the room, wondering where she was. The room was unfamiliar to her, it was darker, the bed was bigger, where was she? What was she doing lying down? Weren’t they supposed to be recording? What time was it?

And then she remembered.

“Max!” Liz shot out of the bed, yelling for him.

Max just managed to button his jeans when he heard Liz scream out his name. Barefoot and bare-chested he ran out of the bathroom and into his bedroom where he saw Liz looking frantically for him, saying his name over and over.

“Max? Max!” Liz’s tears spilled down her cheeks. He was here, she knew it. They were talking. She blinked as she recalled a thought in the back of her mind. Max was Zan?

She gasped as she remembered that one too. Then she saw movement from one side of the room, someone running towards her. It was Zan…or was it Max?

“Liz? Liz, it’s ok. I’m here.” Max pulled her in his arms when he saw her tear-stained face.

“Zan?” Liz clung to him tight.

Max pressed his lips together in a thin line. He was worried. Didn’t Liz remember their conversation earlier? He pulled away from her slightly to look at her face. “Liz?”

Liz looked up at him with an innocent look.

“Don’t you remember what happened earlier?”

Liz nodded slowly, her eyes tearing up again.

“You do?”

Liz moved her head up and down.

“You remember who I am?” Max asked carefully.

“Yes.” Liz said in a whisper which Max barely heard.

He took in a deep breath. “So you know that I’m—”

“Max.” Liz said softly and leaned abruptly to hug him intensely.

“Oh Lizzie.” Max returned her embrace with equal passion as they wept for the years that they spent being separated from each other.

From Alex and Isabel’s room, they all heard Liz screaming for Max. They rushed to Max’s room, but before they could knock, they heard Max’s voice trying to calm Liz down. Then they heard him talking in a hushed tone though they could not understand what he was saying exactly. Everyone looked at each other wondering if they should go in there and check on Liz. Isabel decided that they would open the door a little to take a peek. If Liz looked distraught, they would go in but if she wasn’t, they would leave the two alone for a few more minutes. Everyone agreed to that and Isabel slowly opened the door silently. What they saw inside made their hearts ache.

Max and Liz were locked in a tight embrace, both weeping for one another. At that, Isabel closed the door once more and backed away from the room. They would give the two a little more time in private knowing that they needed it.

After a while, Max pulled away and brushed the tears off of Liz’s cheeks. However, it was useless because she just kept on crying, the tears silently falling down her face.

“Sshh, it’s ok, Liz. I’m here.”

“It’s really you, isn’t it?”

Max nodded with a small smile.

“I’m not dreaming?”

“No, you’re not.”

Liz started to cry again. “Oh God, Max. I’ve missed you so much.”

“I know, sweetie. I missed you too.”

Liz held onto him again and Max did the same. Their arms locked together around each so neither of them could ever let go of the other.

Max made a silent vow once more…this time, no one will separate them ever again.

**Song excerpts were from: The Heart Never Forgets by Leann Rimes, I Will Love You by Fisher, How Can I Not Love You by Joy Enriquez and Here With Me by Dido.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Thank you for all the feedback and also to the lurkers who came out to leave a note. Thanks so much, everyone.

To La'Shon, thanks for everything. I saw them all and I was so psyched for both fics. *smooches*

Ok, I know you had a very dreamy part the last time so I decided to change it a little bit. Now before you get mad at me, you all know that I am very much a Dreamer, you can check out my completed fics for proof. That's already a clue as to how this one will end. :wink: Enjoy the new chapter.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 23

As Philip came through the door, he was greeted by a very anxious Diane. One look at her and he knew something was wrong.

“Oh thank God you’re home.” Diane gave her husband a quick peck on the lips.

“Hey.” Philip hugged her briefly then pulled away to check on her. “What’s wrong?”

“Something big has happened.” Diane said cryptically.

“Is it concerning Zan? I saw his car parked out on the driveway.”

“Well, yes, he is involved in this.”

A frown made Philip’s forehead crease at that statement. What was going on? “Di, just tell me what happened.”

Diane nodded. “Well, one of Izzy and Mikey’s friends passed out today and it was Zan who brought her home and carried her into the house.”

Philip’s brows furrowed. So what if Zan helped one of his cousin’s friends?

“You know the cute little brunette, Izzy’s boyfriend’s sister?”

Philip nodded, “Uh huh. What about her? Is she the one who passed out? Oh no, was it serious? Is she alright? Have you called a doctor? Should we bring her to a hospital?”

“Philip, Philip, she’s fine. She’s still asleep though and I already called Dr. Harding and he said to call him first thing tomorrow if she still doesn’t wake up. But that’s not what I want to tell you.”

“Diane, just tell me already. All this suspense is killing me.”

“Honey, do you remember that little girl at the orphanage…with Max?”

Philip blinked. He wondered what made Diane bring that up out of the blue and why she changed Zan’s name to Max. “Of course I remember her. Zan cried non-stop for her and even had to go through therapy because of his depression. We thought of adopting her before moving here but we were too late. Why are you asking me if I remember her? Why have you brought this up so suddenly?”

“She’s up there…in Zan’s room…with Zan.”

Philip’s eyes went wide like saucers. “She’s here? All this time, she was right under our noses?”

“Yes, she’s a friend of Michael and Isabel’s.”

“Does Zan know this?”

Diane nodded solemnly. “Yes, I haven’t asked Zan what happened that caused Liz to faint but I have a feeling it was something about them. I couldn’t help but wonder though why Zan has never told us that Liz was here. It was obvious from his actions earlier that he knew who she was before all this occurred.”

“Oh God.” Philip’s eyes went even wider if that was possible.

“What? Philip? What is it?”

“I have to talk to Zan, now.” Philip ran quickly heading towards the direction of Zan’s room.

“Oh God, I didn’t know it was you. If I had…” Liz tried to calm herself down.

“If you had, what?” Max was curious.

“I don’t know. I…I don’t know. We’d talk all night or something.” Liz released a soft laugh. She couldn’t believe he was here, sitting right beside her. Max was sitting right beside her.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, Liz.” Max apologized.

Liz looked at him closely. “Why didn’t you, Max? Wait, how should I call you now, Max or Zan?”

“Whichever one you choose is fine.”

“I would rather call you Max.” Liz smiled.

Max smiled back at her for that too.

“Why did you change it though?” Liz questioned.

Max looked intensely at her then looked away. “I thought changing my name and trying to forget would help me. I had a tough time growing up. I was depressed and lonely all the time.”

“Me too.” Liz whispered and a tear slipped down her smooth cheek.

“I read your songs.” Max informed her.

Liz looked at him quickly. “You did?” Then she looked down and played with the hem of the blanket. “This is so embarrassing.” she muttered.

“Why?” Max lifted her head to make her look at him.

“Because. You read them, didn’t you?”

“Yes, and there was one recurring message through them all.” Max wanted to know if what he saw between the line was true.

Liz nodded.

“It was about us.” Max stated more than asked.

Liz nodded once more.

Max closed his eyes thinking about all those wasted years.

“What happened, Max?”

Liz’s soft voice brought him out of his thoughts.

“What do you mean?”

“I wrote you…all the time, once every other day. But all my letters returned.” Liz confessed.

“We moved here. We went back to the orphanage before we left New Mexico, but when we got there you were gone. Someone beat us to it, a family already adopted you.” Max told her sadly.

“The Whitmans. They’re really nice to me, considered me their own the minute they saw me. That’s what my mom said. And you already know Alex. He’s a nice guy really, just a bit over protective.”

“Yeah, I know.” Max scoffed.

“So…you moved. And that was it?”

“No, we tried to get your information but Ms. Whitaker said she couldn’t because it was a closed adoption, confidential information and all that. I still wrote, hoping that she would pass it on somehow.”

“She left soon after I was adopted. Some family emergency, I can’t really remember.” Liz shook her head from left to right.

“I’m just glad that you came here. When I saw you that night—”

“Huh? What night?” Liz was confused.

“That first dinner, when my mom invited you here.” Max replied without thinking.

Liz brows furrowed. “You mean…you know who I was the first time we met? I mean, the first time we were introduced to you…as Zan?”

“Uh…yes.” Max knew where Liz was heading.

“So when we…that night that we…. You knew?”

Max was caught. He knew this was going to be brought up and that once it was there was no escaping it. The only response he could give her was a nod.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Ok, I know this one is short but it's a very meaningful chapter. So hopefully the next parts will be longer since we're nearing the end. Thanks so much for still reading this and liking it. *smooches*

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 24

“You knew. You knew and yet…you were willing to just shut up about it. How could you, Max?!” Liz was getting angrier by the minute. “And what you said earlier, you tried to forget? What about our pact? We made a promise to never forget each other, that someday we would find a way back to each other. What about that, huh? What about that, Max?”

“It hurt too much, Liz. I was dying inside.”

“And you think I wasn’t?! You read the songs, Max. You know how I felt, how I feel. And you never said a word. Why?” Liz was screaming now.

“Because…because I was afraid.”

“Afraid? Of what?”

“Of you!” Max yelled.

When the rest of the group heard Liz’s raised voice, followed by Max’s, they felt that they had to step in.

“Hey, what the hell is going on in here?” Michael bellowed as he barged in the room. Despite Maria’s protest he had to interfere. No one yells at any of the women in their group.

“Michael, please Liz and I just need a few minutes alone.” Max spoke.

“No. Not if you keep yelling at her. We can hear you all the way down the hall.” Alex replied.

“Alex—” Liz began.

“Actually, we need a few minutes with Liz and Zan, although Alex can stay if he wants to.” Philip interrupted them all as he walked in the room with his wife following closely behind him.

Diane had no idea what was going on between her husband and her son but she wasn’t going to stay in the dark. However, she had a feeling that this had something to do with Zan’s quest to find out what really happened to his biological parents. Admittedly, she was afraid of what this will result to but Zan assured her that no matter what, she would always be his mom.

“Mom? Dad? What is this about?” Max was getting frustrated. He had to clear this screw up with Liz first. He wasn’t willing to lose her over this, not when he had a really good explanation.

“Michael, Isabel, please?” Philip was looking at the others asking silently to leave the room.

Michael, Isabel and Maria all looked at each other, then back at Alex and Liz. They only agreed to leave when they got a nod each from the siblings.

Once the five were left alone in Max’s old room, Philip began. “I think you three should sit down for this.”

Liz sat calmly on the edge of the bed with Alex and Max sitting on either side of her.

“Dad? What’s going on?” Max had an inkling of what it might be but he didn’t understand why Alex had to be in the room with them too.

“First off, it’s so nice to see you again, Liz.” Philip smiled at the petite woman. She was no longer the little girl that Max wouldn’t let go of. She had grown up into a beautiful young woman.

“You know her?” Alex looked at Liz then back at Philip with a flabbergasted expression on his face.

“Yes, Alex. We met Liz a long time ago, back in the orphanage in New Mexico where we adopted Zan.” Diane explained. “We actually came back to get Liz as well but she was gone by the time we came back.”

“Oh.” Alex looked at Liz who he found staring at Zan.

“So what was it you really wanted to talk about, Dad?” Max asked, wanting to get to the bottom of this already.

“I got the police report.” Philip stared at Zan then Liz then back at Zan.

“You did?” Max was eager to read it.

Philip nodded and handed the paper to his son.

Max scanned through it briefly. “It was no one’s fault?” He looked at his father.

“Yes, Zan.” Philip answered.

Max was nodding slowly. “It was no one’s fault.” he repeated to no one in particular. Then he looked over at Liz who had a curious frown on her face. “Here. You should read this.”

Liz took the piece of document from Max’s hand then read through the file. It indicated the accident that happened over two decades ago involving the Langleys and a Jeffrey Parker.

“Liz…he was your father.” Max spoke carefully to her.

“This was...” Liz started to speak but couldn’t continue because of the onslaught of tears.

“Yeah, your father.” Max wanted to engulf her in a hug to take away the sadness he knew was beginning to form within her.

Liz ran her hands through the name Jeffrey Parker. That was her biological father. Then she read the details and when she got to the date of the accident, she gasped.

“What?” Max was on alert.

“This happened on my birthday.” Liz whispered.

“What?” Somehow Max missed that and read through the document again.

“He died on my birthday.” Liz was openly crying so Alex took her in his arms to comfort her. As Max looked on, he wanted to be the one Liz would lean on to.

“I’m sorry, Liz.” Diane went over to the siblings and held Liz’s hands to help Alex comfort the young woman.

After some time and Liz had dried her eyes, she asked for a few minutes alone with Max. There was something he said that she wanted to clear up. Once the three other people in the room were gone, Liz whirled on Max.

“Why did you act surprised to find out that the accident was no one’s fault?” Liz asked him bluntly. “Did you know about this ahead of time too?”

“Yes.” Max whispered.

“And you didn’t think to tell me? That maybe I would have wanted to know? That was my father, Max!”

Max didn’t respond.

“How could you? Why, Max? I don’t understand what your reasons are for doing this. First you didn’t tell me that it was you. Then we sleep together and you still didn’t tell me it was really you. And now you hid this information from me as well. Why? I want to know what type of reasoning could possibly explain your actions. Tell me why!”

“Because I didn’t want to find out if you would reject me!” Max then broke down right in front of Liz.

All the fight in Liz was drained at that admission. She stumbled a little trying to regain her voice. “What? Why would you think that?” Liz asked as she walked closer to him.

“You were happy. The first night I saw you again, you were happy with your brother and your friends and I thought…” Max tried to calm himself but was failing miserably as the tears kept falling.

Liz looked at him and felt for him, not because of pity, but because she knew what he was trying to say. And at some point in her life she did fear the same thing. What if Max was happy with his new life, what if Max didn’t want to be reminded of the time he spent in the orphanage or what if he absolutely did not remember her?

“I thought you had forgotten, Liz. And I was so scared of that because I know it would destroy me if you had. I’ve spent a lot of my childhood in therapy because it hurt so much to just be reminded of you. In the beginning I thought it would have been fine to just let you walk away without really knowing who I was. But as we spent time together, all that changed. I would have told you no matter what. I wasn’t going to let you leave without knowing the truth because…” Max wiped away his tears.

“Because what, Max?” Liz questioned.

“Because I’ve fallen in love with you.”
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

As promised to some, Lissa, Mary, Kris...here's the next part posted within the 16th, lol. It's longer than the previous chapters and it has Dreamer, of course, and Gazer. Yes, you read that right, Gazer. Thanks so much to all those who have left feedback and also to those who have come out of lurkdom to do so. Hi to all the lurkers too, if there are any. I hope you'll enjoy this one.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 25

“Because I’ve fallen in love with you.”

“What?” Liz was in shock. Never did she imagine that this would happen. Maybe her heart did at some point but her mind sure didn’t.

“I said I’m in love with you, Liz.” Max stared at her, obviously waiting for a response to what he had just proclaimed.

Liz thought about what to say to him. She knew she had to acknowledge his feelings but she didn’t know what she should say in return. Was she supposed to tell him how she felt? That she was immediately attracted to him when she first saw him as Zan? That despite the fact that she was saving herself for Max, she wasn’t as disappointed as she should have been that she gave her virginity to Zan? Then again, maybe she did know he was Max too.

Suddenly at that very moment she remembered something, a fleeting memory struggling to resurface. And then Liz gasped.

“It was you.”

“What? What was me?” Max asked.

“The night that we…spent…together. You…you called me Lizzie. And the way you said it…it was the way the Max I know would say it. It was you.”

Max could only give her a loving smile as he listened to Liz rambling on about how she recalled that one moment. Then he realized that he had to apologize for that as well; for hiding who he was from her even during the morning after when he knew something had indeed happened between them.

“I’m sorry for that night, Liz. We never really had a chance to talk about it. But I want you to know that I’m sorry if I had ever taken advantage of you that night in any way.”

“No”, Liz shook her head, “at some point, I think I did want it to happen as well.” Liz admitted as she sat back on the bed. “I know you didn’t force me to go home with you…and…I was kissing you back. Neither do I remember saying no nor did I try to stop you.” she blushed at that.

“I did want to be with you that night…I mean, with Zan.” Liz paused but Max knew she had more to say so he remained silent.

“I was attracted to you the first night we were introduced by your mother, here, during that first dinner. But I didn’t want to acknowledge what it was because I felt guilty.” Liz said softly.

Max moved to sit beside her. “Why would you feel guilty? What for?”

“I thought if I allowed myself to be attracted towards Zan…I mean you…I mean Zan, I felt like it was a betrayal against Max. Because I just wanted to find you, as Max, first and…” Liz took a deep breath and exhaled it tiredly. “I don’t know. I just keep remembering what it was like between us when we were younger. And I was somehow hoping that you’d still be the same. I thought I should keep a door open to explore whatever may become of us before I date other people.” She looked over at him and looked into his eyes wincingly, “I’m not making much sense, am I?”

“Yeah you are.” Max nodded. “I get your point and I am grateful that you wanted to do that. Unfortunately it was different for me.” Max didn’t want to admit what he was about to say next but he had to. It was time to stop keeping secrets.

“I had meaningless relationships because I didn’t want to get attached to anyone and no one would ever come close to what you mean to me. But I was also scared about the possibility that you had moved on and was living a happy life without me in it. And I just couldn’t bear that. I took the coward’s way out and hurt other people to keep myself from getting hurt.”

Liz let out a puff of breath, “We are a pair, aren’t we?” Then she gave him a small smile, “Here we are dealing with everything that happened so differently yet it was because we both never really got over the separation. We were both so hurt by it.”

After a pause, Liz continued, “How was that possible, Max? Why did we get so hurt by it? The only reason I can think of is that…we loved each other, even then. Not the childhood crush puppy love kind, but the real one, being in love. Were we, in love with each other at such a young age? It’s the only explanation I can think of as to why we both went through so much pain due to being away from one another.”

“I think I was.” Max replied without looking at Liz.

“Max,” Liz waited for him to look at her, “if we had talked that morning, would you have told me who you were?”

“I think so.” Max answered sincerely.

“You think? You’re not sure.”

“Honestly…no. I was still so scared even then.”

“What changed? Why did you finally admit who you were?”

“It was something a friend of mine said. She called me a self-centered and arrogant son of a bitch.” Max chuckled. “But you see, she was right. I was only thinking about how all of this would affect me. And when I realized how wrong that was, I decided that you should know the truth once and for all. But what really sealed the deal for me was when I heard your song. Seeing the ache etched on your face, you crying…I knew then that even if you decide that you would want nothing to do with me, I would accept it. I would do anything just to take away that look of hurt in your eyes.”

Liz nodded slightly. She was glad that somehow her songs did help bring Max back to her.

After a couple minutes Max decided to break the silence, “So…what now, Liz?” He was afraid, terrified, to ask that question but he felt he had to or they would be stuck in the in-between and not knowing.

“I don’t know, Max. I won’t lie to you, I got hurt that you hid all this from me…”

Max bowed his head in shame and hurt and knowing that he blew his chance with the only girl he ever loved.

“But I understand why you did it.” Liz added.

Max was stunned to hear that. A smile began to form on his face. For the first time after twenty long years, he felt his smile from within.

“What…what happens between us now?” Max questioned. He wanted a chance to be with Liz. He wanted to be able to openly express how much he loves her. And he was hoping against hope that she would grant him that.

“Well…”

“Ok, what the hell is taking them so long?” Michael was pacing back and forth behind the couch in the living room where everyone was assembled.

“Michael!” Maria, Isabel and Diane admonished.

“Sorry.” Michael muttered. He didn’t like having to wait. Even though he should be used to being made to wait with having Isabel for a sister and Maria for a girlfriend, waiting is one task he hated doing.

“Michael, they need time. They haven’t seen each other for years.” Maria spoke.

“Try decades.” Philip interjected from the loveseat where he was seated beside his wife.

“Decades?” Isabel asked. She was sitting on the couch along with Maria and Alex. And though she too was curious, she knew that Liz can handle herself just fine. It was Alex she was worried about. He had not uttered a sound ever since he came down from Zan’s room.

“Yes, Izzy. Zan was adopted twenty years ago. So he and Liz have not seen each other for over two decades.” Diane said.

“Wow.” Maria exclaimed. “But how come you didn’t recognize Liz before?”

“The first time I met her was when we came to adopt Zan. I only saw her once and that was so long ago. If I had known who she was when you first stepped in here, I would have told Zan immediately.”

“Well obviously he knew and didn’t bother to tell anyone.” Michael spoke. He was still a bit unnerved by everything that has happened.

“Michael, you’re not helping so just shut up.” Maria chastised him.

Alex quickly stood up and walked away, leaving everyone staring after him and wondering about what was going on with him. He went out to the Evans’ patio that led to the garden at the back of their house. And he just stood there, a million thoughts going through his head.

Isabel was quick to follow him. She was becoming alarmed about her boyfriend. She had witnessed how close and protective Alex was towards Liz since they were kids. And even though all this was happening to Liz, it was greatly affecting Alex as well.

“Alex? Are you ok?” Isabel asked as she reached him.

Alex didn’t even turn to face her. With his back still to her, he only shook his head to give Isabel a negative response.

“Talk to me.” Isabel requested as she held his hand in hers.

“I’m gonna lose her, Iz.” Alex said softly.

“What? Alex, you know that’s not true.”

“You don’t know what happened up there.” Alex said loudly.

“Then tell me.” Isabel implored.

Alex remained quiet, choosing to look out towards the lush greens and flowering bushes of Diane’s garden although his eyes were not really focused on anything.

“Alex—” Isabel was about to start again.

“Your aunt and uncle were supposed to adopt her.” Alex cut her off.

“What?” Isabel was surprised at that tidbit of information.

“Yup, they told us that they were supposed to adopt Liz before they moved out here.” Alex finished with a shake of his head and a bitter laugh. “So if things had gone their way, we wouldn’t even know her. Well, maybe you would cause she would have been your cousin and—”

Isabel decided to stop Alex’s rambling before he got carried away. “Alex…Alex…” she called out to him loudly to get his attention. “They didn’t. Your family adopted her. Liz is a Whitman, not an Evans.”

“But she will be.” Alex replied with a somber tone.

“What? What do you mean?” A frown marred Isabel’s face.

“I saw Zan and how he looks at Liz.”

“And?”

“He loves her, Iz.” Alex concluded.

“And you’re…upset about that? You think that’s the reason you’re gonna lose her?”

Alex moved his head from side to side telling her no. “I just can’t help but think of how everything could have been different. I was her brother and yet I never saw how much she has been hurting all these years.”

“That’s not true, Alex. You knew and you wanted to help her, we all did. But she didn’t want to let us in.” Isabel studied him carefully. “Now tell me what’s really bothering you.”

“My mind is going over and over about how selfish I am.”

“What? Alex Whitman you are the most unselfish man I have ever known!”

“No, Iz, hear me out. I keep rationalizing how Liz wouldn’t have had to go through this if your relatives did adopt her. But then, I’m happy that they didn’t because I gained a sister. But if they had adopted her, she would have been with Zan all this time and she’d be happy. Instead, she got us and she’s been miserable for over twenty years, twenty long years.”

“And you think you’re being selfish because you got her.” Isabel finished for him.

Alex only nodded.

“Alex, you didn’t know. No one did, not even Liz. They were late. Your parents got there first. And I don’t think Liz has been miserable all these years.” Isabel was looking at Alex’s face so when she saw his disbelieving look, she continued. “Come on, we had some happy times.” Isabel poked Alex to get him to smile whilst her mind played some of the cheerful memories they had of their group as they were growing up.

“And maybe…this was their destiny, you know? Maybe this was how their fate was designed. Maybe, this is how it’s all supposed to play out for them. You said it yourself; you saw how Zan looked at Liz. Think about it. If they were adopted together, they would have been raised as siblings. Now if they were in love that never would have worked out.” Isabel made her eyes grow wide to emphasize her point.

“Despite everything that Michael has told you about Zan, he is a good guy. And if he and Liz end up together after all of this has been sorted out, I’d be so happy for her cause I could never ask for a better man for my friend.” she finished tenderly.

Alex wrapped his arm around his girlfriend and smiled at her lovingly, “Thank you.” Then he leaned in to kiss her.

Isabel grinned back after they pulled apart. “You’re welcome.” she replied as she enfolded both arms around him.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Ok, I have so many things to say. One, thanks so much for your unending support to this story. To all the feedbackers and even the lurkers, thank you.

Two, I just saw a huge mistake somewhere in the middle of this fic. The PR person for Mr. Kats' recording label should be Laurie Dupree, not Vanessa Whitaker. Whitaker was the social worker. So I'm really sorry for that mix-up. If it was Whitaker, all this mess would have been sorted out much quicker.

And three, I'm so sorry for the delay of the updates. I was down with the stomach flu last week and I had a writer's block that I just couldn't seem to shake. So to make up for that, I am posting two parts.

Alright then, hopefully you'll enjoy the new chapters. Thanks again. *smooches*

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 26

Liz walked towards the mantle and looked at all the pictures of Max scattered on top. How come she had never gone into this room before?

There were pictures of him growing up and she touched them so delicately as if they were very fragile. A tear slipped from her eyes as she saw one picture which was a five-year-old Max. It was how she had seen him for the last time before he went away.

Max just watched her, awaiting her response.

Liz stared back at him as intensely and couldn’t help but smile lovingly. Yes, she loved him and they had been apart for so long already. They’ve gone through so much and the only thing that could heal all the pain was each other.

“I think we should take it slow.” Liz spoke.

Max blinked in astonishment. His head was trying to process the answer Liz just gave him.

“Max?”

“Wha—What? I mean…uh…I was just stunned that you’re willing to do this with me…to be with me. I mean—”

Liz laughed as Max tried to find the words to explain himself. Then she got serious, “There’s no point in trying to hold it off. Being apart was what caused all this to begin with. Yes I was hurt but my feelings for you as a friend and maybe something more outweighs that. And I totally understand why you did it. I don’t condone it, but I understand why you hid those things from me.”

Liz felt awkward about what she was going to say next, “So…is it ok? Us going slow? Cause we need to get to know each other again, Max. You said it yourself, you’ve changed and so have I.”

Max nodded, “Yeah, I can deal with slow. I’ll do anything just to be with you.”

“Thank you.”

“No, Liz, thank you for giving me another chance.”

Liz smiled and pulled Max closer and pressed her lips against his.

When Max felt Liz’s soft lips on his, he held on to her like his life depended on it, like she was his lifeline, his savior. And in a way, she was. She was the one who saved him from a life of loneliness and bitterness. He already predicted that that was what was going to happen if he did not find her. He already knew he was going to grow and become a crabby old man who hated the world because of a lost love.

But now everything has changed. Having found Liz again is like having alight switch turned on from inside him, a light that was slowly melting the ice that had enveloped his heart.

Their kiss deepened and Max wrapped one arm around Liz’s waist and one held the back of her head to ensure that she couldn’t break away.

Liz had no intention of doing so as she clutched on to Max’s side with one hand and the other started playing with the hair on his nape.

Max obviously enjoyed this as he started to moan against Liz’s kisses.

Liz liked that she was able to get such a reaction from Max that she opened her mouth slightly to allow him deeper access.

Max slowly pushed his tongue in and began to duel with hers. Max leaned harder into Liz as they continued their assault on each other.

When the need for air became too much for them, they pulled away though not completely, neither wanted to let go of their hold on the other.

Max was panting heavily as he laid his forehead on hers. “I’m sorry”, he apologized between breaths.

“It’s ok, I started it.” Liz replied with a grin.

Max gave her lips a quick peck and hugged her close, burying his face on her neck.

“I never thought I would get this chance again.” he said softly.

Liz was surprised when she felt something wet touch her skin. As she noted that Max was breathing shallowly, she realized that he was crying.

She felt a tug on her heart and she tightened her hold on him. “It’s ok, Max. We’re both here now, together.” She rubbed his back soothingly to comfort him.

After a while, Max dried his tears away with the back of his hand. “I know, but I just couldn’t help but think—”

Liz stopped him by pressing a finger to his lips. “Don’t. You can’t think that way anymore. Let’s just be grateful that we finally did find each other, ok?”

Max nodded. Then he quickly went into the bathroom to get something. When he came back, Liz wondered what it was he was holding. But when she finally got a glimpse of it, she started to weep.

Max sat down beside her and gave her a loving smile when he saw her crying.

“Hey, no more tears.” Max wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb. He knew why she was crying. It was about time that they fulfill their promise. “Here, I’m giving this back.”

Liz couldn’t help it. She was overwhelmed with so much emotion. She took the worn-out bear in her arms and held it close to her heart and began to weep again, only this time her tears were full of joy.

“I’ve never forgotten, Lizzie.” Max smiled through his own tears that were blurring his vision.

“Neither have I.” Liz said as she cried happy tears in Max’s arms.

Alex walked back into the living room where the others were with a clearer mind thanks to Isabel. But what he saw coming down the stairs made him stop in his tracks.

Isabel noticed that Alex had stopped walking and turned to him to ask why. But when she saw the look on his face, she followed his gaze, curious about what had caused it. Then she saw the reason why and a smile grew on her face expressing her happiness.

The Evans saw the expressions on Alex and Isabel’s faces. So did Michael and Maria and they all decided to look as well to find out what it was that they were seeing that had caused such opposite reactions from the couple. Because as Isabel had a huge grin showing off all her white teeth and giddiness, Alex looked like he didn’t know if he should run toward the source of his reaction of run away from it.

Walking hand in hand and coming down the steps were Max and Liz looking quite happy and very much in love.

As the two reached their families and friends, they were greeted warmly. Diane and Philip hugged Max and Liz and were so pleased to see them so blissfully happy together. Diane knew that she was right about Liz being the solution for her son. The petite girl was the one who had managed to bring Zan out of his shell and for that she was more than grateful.

Philip felt the same way towards Liz, seeing how happy Zan was. He saw Liz as a potential partner for his son and was secretly wishing that the two were headed in that direction. Then he noticed the bear in Liz’s hand and his mind took him back to twenty years ago when he and Diane were about to leave the orphanage with Max. Little Liz came running and gave Max his old teddy bear so he would remember her always. Philip suddenly felt a lump form in his throat when he realized that Zan had never forgotten the little girl. And now that they were reunited, he had no doubt that Zan would never leave her this time.

Isabel immediately hugged Liz. She knew that this was what Liz had been looking for all this time. All those songs and moments she had caught her friend crying, it was all for Zan.

Maria understood what it all meant as well just by looking at the two. And she was ecstatic for Liz. She was getting so worried about her but now that Zan or Max was here, she knew he’d be able to pull her out of the depression she had been in for years.

Michael was pretty much a go-with-the-flow kind of guy. He was happy for Liz though that did not mean he was going to be close to Zan. He was still a little wary of his cousin but now that he has told them about his past, Michael understood him as well. He couldn’t even imagine how he would be acting if the situations were reversed.

And Alex; he didn’t know if he should be happy for his sister or not. He still feared losing her although he already knew that that was impossible. Then again, seeing how blissful and at peace Liz looked, he knew that whatever Liz decides to do, he would be there for her always. And he had a feeling that whatever that decision might be, Zan will definitely play a huge role in it.

Chapter 27

Everything was fine with the world once again as 4Square went back to recording. Liz was back to writing songs although they sang a different tune now. Michael and Maria were still bickering. Isabel and Alex were still lovey-dovey. And Max was still working as hard although he always made sure to make time for Liz as they were slowly working out their relationship.

They were going out on dates, getting to know one another, spending as much time as possible with each other while Liz was still in New York. Although that was an impending hurdle that they both did not want to think about, they knew it was coming. And they tried to be together as much as they can.

On one of the days that Max was working, Liz decided to surprise him by showing up at his office unannounced. The band had just finished recording and while the others went off to do a little lunch celebration, Liz wanted to spend the time with Max. Having finished the recording meant that they were going home to Roswell, New Mexico…soon.

“Hi. I’m Liz Whitman and I know I don’t have an appointment with Mr. Evans but since it’s lunch time, would he be able to see me right now?” Liz asked the secretary seated just outside of Max’s office.

“Well, normally, Mr. Evans does not like being disturbed.” Courtney told the smaller woman. She felt sorry for her, she would allow her to come in but she feared being yelled at by her boss again. After that incident with Ms. Harding, she was afraid that the next time she fouled up, she would lose her job. And that was one thing she could not afford.

“Oh.” Liz felt defeated. She wanted to surprise Max by inviting him out for the rest of their day. There was also something important she wanted to talk to him about.

Just then a blonde woman came walking past the two. When the secretary saw who it was, she knew she had to stop her immediately from going into Mr. Evans’ office.

“Uh, Ms. Harding, I’m sorry but you can’t go in there.” Courtney stammered.

“And why not? Did Zan tell you that he doesn’t want to see me?” Ava narrowed her eyes at the door.

“N-no ma’m but…well, with what happened the last time, I don’t think Mr. Evans would want to see you.”

“Huh, we’ll see about that.” Ava was poised to open the door when she noticed the brunette looking at her. “Can I help you with something?” She noted the other woman and figured that she was probably another one of Zan’s trackers.

“Um, you know Zan Evans?” Liz said uneasily. Max told her he had slept with other women. Could this be one of them?

“Yes. Do you know him as well?”

“Uh, yeah, I’ve known him since we were kids.” Liz answered.

“Really? How come I’ve never met—” Ava began but soon stopped herself as she realized just who exactly the other woman was. “You’re Liz Parker.”

“Huh? How did you know my biological name?” Liz wondered.

Ava ignored the question and immediately chatted with the other person as if they were longtime friends. “Oh wow. It’s so good to meet you. I’m Ava Harding. I’m one of Zan’s friends since he moved to New York. Wait, does Zan know you’re here?”

Ava then turned to Courtney. “Courtney, why haven’t you let Ms. Parker in Zan’s office? I’m sure he would be happy to see her.” Then went back to Liz, “Forgive her. Zan frightens his employees and that’s the result you get.”

Liz laughed a little at the blonde’s exuberance. She was going to like her.

Ava quickly opened the door and ushered Liz into Zan’s office. “Zander, you will never guess who I just met outside your office.”

“Ava? What are you doing—” Max quickly stood up when he saw Ava walking in but then he broke into a grin when he saw who she was with. “Liz.”

“Hi.” Liz said bashfully.

Max just smiled at her even more. He loved how Liz can get so shy around him even though they were already dating. He walked over to her and gave her a sweet kiss on the lips which surprised Ava.

“Are you two dating?” Ava couldn’t help but ask.

Liz bit her lip and kind of felt a bit awkward while Max was holding on to her.

Max chuckled at his friend’s awed look and answered, “Yes.”

“That’s awesome.” Ava grinned. “We should go out to lunch so we could get to know each other better. My treat.” Ava offered.

“Uh, that’s not necessary—” Liz started.

“Oh hush, I insist.” Ava briskly walked out the door expecting the couple to follow her.

“Well, shall we?” Max offered.

Liz only shrugged as they went after Ava.

Once they got to the restaurant, a young waiter was escorting them to their table. But they stopped shortly as they heard their names being called. Max and Liz quickly turned to the occupants of the table on their left and were surprised to see the other four and Mr. Kats, Laurie Dupree and Kyle Valenti.

“Hey guys.” Isabel greeted them, looking from Liz to Max then lastly, Ava.

“Hey.” Max greeted them back.

“Why don’t you join us?” Alex offered. That gesture earned him a squeeze on his lap from his girlfriend under the table.

“You won’t mind?” Liz asked.

“Of course not. Come on.” Michael scooted a little to make some space for the new additions to their table.

“Oh, uh, this is one of my closest friends, Ava Harding.” Max introduced her to the group then he went about introducing everyone else to her.

“It’s all so nice to meet you. See, Zan never told me about all you guys.” Ava smiled at them then threw a glare at Zan.

“Well, you know them now, right?” Max bit back.

“Yeah, yeah. So, how are you all liking New York so far?” Ava asked them.

The group then fell into some light-hearted conversation. And Ava even seemed to have clicked instantly with Kyle. However, this was not what Liz had in mind for her quality time with Max. And she knew she had to do something to remedy that.

“Hey, do you mind if we leave the others and go off on our own?” Liz asked quietly.

“Sure. You know I’d do anything for you.” Max took her hand in his and kissed it.

“Great. Can we leave now?”

“Now?” Max raised both eyebrows.

Liz nodded.

“Okay.” Max gave some type of excuse to the others and ushered Liz out of there, but not without getting teased for it.

“So where do you want to go?” Max asked as they drove through the busy streets of New York City.

“Anywhere, I…there’s something I have to tell you.” Liz said.

Max glanced at her quickly then headed for his house.

Liz was worrying over his reaction that she didn’t even realize that the car had stopped.

Wordlessly, Max turned her to face him. The silence in the car was deafening and it was making him so nervous.

“Liz, what is this about?”

“Please don’t be mad.” Liz spoke for the first time since they had arrived.

“I won’t just tell me. Are you breaking up with me?”

“What? No!” Liz looked at him with her eyes opened wide.

“Then what, Liz? You know you can tell me anything. We already said we won’t keep secrets from each other.”

“I know.” Liz nodded. “Do you know why the band was all out celebrating?”

“Yeah, you’re done recording.” Max answered.

“Uh huh.” Liz said, expecting him to say more.

“And?” Max looked at her.

“And? That’s all? You’re not even worried?”

“Why would I be worried?” Max didn’t understand where Liz was going with this.

“We’re done, Max.”

“Yeah, for the day.”

Liz then fell silent and slowly shook her head. “The album is done.”

“Oh.” Max fell back on his seat, finally understanding what that meant.

“Well, we will be staying for a couple more days for the final touches but basically…we’re done. After that...”

“You go back home.” Max finished for her.

“No.”

“No?” Max looked at Liz, questioning her.

“I don’t want to go. Max, please, tell me not to go and I won’t.” Liz pleaded.

“Liz, you know I would want nothing more than for you to stay here, but what about your family and your friends?”

“Max, please. I don’t want to lose you again.” Liz began to cry.

“Hey, you won’t lose me, never again.” Max took her face in his hands.

“I don’t want to leave you.”

Max hugged her closely, her face buried in his chest with her tears soaking his shirt. “Lizzie, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. You can stay here, with me.”

Liz looked up at him, her eyes full of hope. “You mean it? I can stay here?”

“Of course. You know I can never deny you anything. If you want to stay, then by all means, stay.” Although this was what he wanted, he didn’t want to guilt her into staying just for him. So when she told him that she wanted to stay to be with him, Max was inwardly jumping for joy.

Liz nodded, a smile starting to form as Max agreed to her staying with him. She couldn’t bear being apart from him ever again. Now the only problem was how to tell the band.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

I'm back! :D Thanks so much for all your feedback. To the ex-lurkers, thank you for coming out to leave fb. All of them mean so much to me. I did notice how almost all if not all loved the teddy bear scene. But I have to confess, I almost forgot that one.

J, glad to have you back. I forgot to ask you the other day, did you get to pat Jason's tummy again?

Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear you're sick. I hope you're feeling much better now. Your question about the contacts, the answer is kinda implied. When Ava told him to get clear ones and Liz saw his original amber eyes before she fainted, he didn't go back to wearing the blue/gray ones. And about Zan's old flames...you'll have to tune in to find out. :lol:

Now, there only 2 more parts to post after this. The epilogue is already written during a sudden burst of inspiration and I am very proud of how it all turned out. I hope that when you read it, you'll like it as much as I do.

Alright, enough babbling, I know some of you would rather skip ahead to the new part. Enjoy reading. *smooches

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 28

“You what?!” Alex exploded, rising up from his seat on the couch.

Everyone else was getting over the shock of this news. Liz had just announced that she was staying in New York.

“This is why you wanted to have a meeting? What for?! You evidently made up your mind already and none of what any of us have to say will change your mind so what’s the point?!” Alex yelled at Liz.

Liz did call the other four over to Max’s house to have a meeting. However, she didn’t tell anyone the reason why she wanted to have this little pow-wow. And when she did, this was the response she got.

“Hey! You will not yell at Liz like that ever, especially not in my house!” Max shouted.

“You have no say in this. Liz is my sister, not yours. So stay out of our business! Maybe you were the one who put her up to this, huh?” Alex pushed Max’s shoulder.

Max got furious at the attitude Alex was showing. He was fed up with all of it so he pushed back. After a few more shoves, a fight erupted between the two.

The women quickly tried to stop them with Liz and Isabel getting in between and pushing their respective boyfriends away from each other.

“Alex, stop it!”

“Max, enough!”

“Alex, let go!”

“Zan, stop!”

Unfortunately, Alex wouldn’t let up. He hated Max and he truly believed that he was the one who brainwashed Liz into staying with him in the East coast.

“Michael, help me!” Isabel screamed at her brother who was passively watching them all.

“Michael, break them up!” Maria ordered while slapping his arm.

“Ow! Maria, quit it.” Michael then moved to separate Alex and Zan. “Alright, break it up.” Michael pulled Alex away from his cousin.

“Let me go, Michael!” Alex roared as he struggled against his friend’s grip on him.

“Take him out of here, Michael!” Maria demanded.

Michael was already pushing Alex out through the door with Isabel trailing closely behind them.

As Max calmed down and Liz has finished checking him for any injuries, she sat back down on the couch and started to cry. This wasn’t how she thought the entire thing would go down. She knew Alex would be the one to react so strongly but she didn’t expect it to be that violent.

“Lizzie” Max took her in his arms and allowed her to cry against him. He felt sorry that she was going through this with her brother. He didn’t want to cause a rift between them but he had to admit, he would have been selfish and would have asked her to stay if she had not brought it up before he could. But his heart melted at the sight of her crying. All this was not worth it if Liz was going to end up torn between him and her family. When was all this pain finally going to end?

“Liz, maybe this was a wrong decision.” Max started.

“Wha—what?” Liz asked softly as she looked up at Max.

“Look at you. This is causing you so much heartache. I don’t want you to be caught between me and your family. You shouldn’t have to choose.”

“No! I want to stay here. I don’t want to leave you.” Liz wept.

“You won’t, Lizzie. Now that we have found each other again, nothing can ever separate us.” Max gave her a brave smile.

“Then why are you asking me to go? Don’t you want me to stay?” Liz was close to pleading.

“Not if it’s going to cause a problem between you and your brother.”

“But—”

“Liz, you shouldn’t even be choosing. You should be with your family.” Max was fighting hard to keep the tears at bay.

Liz just looked at him. She was tired of this, she should have a right to be happy and for once she was going to fight for it.

“No.”

“No?”

“Max Evans, do you want me to stay or not?”

“Liz.”

“Answer me.” Liz stared him down.

Max took a deep breath. He knew that look; he has seen it so many times before. This was Liz, a very stubborn Liz. “Of course I want you to stay but I don’t want you to be going against your family because of me.”

“Oh…so, you’re not willing to fight for me.” Liz deduced.

“What? Where did you get that?” Max was appalled that Liz would accuse him of not wanting to fight for her. “I could be selfish and tell you, yes, I do want you to stay. But I can’t afford seeing you so broken over this. Can’t you understand that?”

“No…because it’s not your decision to make, Max. I want to stay with you more than anything. If my family can’t see that staying will bring me happiness there is nothing more I can do, though they can’t change my decision. But if you want me to leave, then I’ll leave.”

Max smirked and pulled Liz into his tight embrace. “Having you stay here with me is more than anything that I can wish for…for now.” he whispered in her hair.

Liz giggled and hugged him even tighter.

Maria sniffled, “I think I’m going to cry.”

Max and Liz quickly looked at her. They’ve forgotten that they had an audience. And all three ended up laughing.

“Hey Guerins, can I talk to my brother alone for a few?” Liz asked as she walked heading straight for the trio.

“Sure, Liz.” Isabel smiled. She turned to Alex next, “Now you behave.”

Michael and Isabel walked past Liz and gave her a smile before they were finally out of earshot.

“Hey.” Liz began.

“Hey.” Alex greeted back.

“I’m sorry about—”

“You didn’t have to—”

Both siblings started and stopped at the same time. They fell into an awkward silence until Liz began to talk again.

“Let me start. I don’t understand why you did that to Max.”

Alex looked like he was about to interrupt but Liz raised her hand signaling that she wanted to get everything out first.

“Why are you so against us? You know he makes me happy, Alex; the same way that Isabel makes you happy. Why can’t you give me this huh?” Liz felt like she was betrayed. All the time, Alex has been her older brother, the one person who would always stand by her side no matter what. Despite the over-protectiveness and how it gets so infuriating and annoying at times, she has never gone against him. And she was hoping that he would do the same. Sure they had their own share of the regular sibling squabbles but this time Liz was ready to fight for what she wants, even if it means going against her brother.

“You know how hard it has been for me. All the time you wanted me to tell you what’s been going on with me. And now you know and still you want to prevent me from being happy. Why?” Liz had to ask.

“It’s not that I don’t want you to be happy, Liz. I know Zan or Max or whatever the hell his name is—”

“Stop that! His name is Max! Give him some respect, Alex! I love that man in there. And I’m only going to tell you this once. If you can’t see how much he means to me then….” Liz took a deep breath and stared at Alex. “Don’t make me choose between the two of you because you won’t like my decision.” Liz started to leave but Alex held on to her wrist.

“I’m sorry.” Alex apologized.

“What?” Liz asked in annoyance.

“I’m sorry. You’re right, I can see that he makes you happy. But I also witnessed how much hurt you were going through because of him. I was only scared for you. I don’t know how you’ll make it through if something goes wrong between the two of you.” Alex explained.

“He loves me, Alex.”

“I know and I can see that. Heck, a blind person can see that. We’ve been together for so long, through everything. Did you know that when Mom and Dad told me they wanted to adopt another child, I told them I wanted a little sister with brown hair and big brown eyes and she’ll be nice and sweet so that Michael will envy me?” Alex chuckled. “I was so jealous that he had Isabel. And for a time, I pretended that Maria was my sister. And then you came and fit the description so perfectly I thought you were a gift from Santa.”

Liz gave him a small smile.

“I know that you will always be my sister no matter what. But now that you’re staying here, you’re gonna be so far away. Who’s gonna protect you?”

Liz put her arm around his waist. “We could write and call and email and chat. I won’t be that far. And I know that if I need someone to protect me, all I need is a phone to call you and you’d be on the first plane to New York.” Liz grinned.

“Am I that predictable?” Alex asked with a playful frown.

Liz nodded.

“Ok, fine. But seriously Liz, I am sorry. I was just surprised by your news.”

“I’m sorry too for not discussing it with you.”

“It’s ok. I don’t think I would have been able to persuade you otherwise with your stubbornness.”

“Hey!”

Alex laughed and hugged his little sister. “Just know that if you need anything, I’m here, ok?”

“I know.” Liz hugged him back. Even though she was happy that she wasn’t going to have any more problems staying, a tear still fell from her eyes knowing that she would still miss her only brother.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Alright, I know I said there were only two parts left. Well, I was wrong. I thought I could wrap it all up with one chapter but I couldn't. So there's one more part after this, and then the epilogue. I hope you enjoy this part.

Bonnie, this is for you. Get well soon. *smooches*

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 29

Three weeks after their CD was done, 4Square still had to stay in New York because they were asked to start doing some promotional photo shoots and press releases. And so far, the music industry has been very welcoming towards them.

During that time, Isabel had also been seeking the legal expertise of Max since they were new in the business. Isabel didn’t want the band to be exploited in any way nor did they want to say something that would jeopardize their rising career. And thus, Max became a part of their group.

Tonight, 4Square was performing in one of the hottest clubs in NY for their very own launching party.

“Zan! Zan!” Max tried to find the person where the voice was coming from so he was looking around the club. And due to that he was caught unaware when someone basically jumped him and clung to him.

“Hey Zan!” Tess yelled through the loud music while still holding on to Max’s neck.

“Ugh, Tess, get off me!” Max practically dumped Ava’s twin to the floor.

Luckily, Tess caught her balance and managed not to fall on her butt when Max pushed her away. “Why did you do that? It’s like you’re ashamed of me or something!” Tess tried to pout sexily but failed.

Max held his tongue though he was itching to give Tess a very mean comeback. “What do you want?” he asked instead.

“You’ll never guess who I bumped into!” Tess moved closer to Max, intentionally brushing her breasts against him.

Max unceremoniously moved her as far away from him as he can with revulsion. “I don’t want to guess, Tess. Either you tell me or you don’t, I don’t give a damn!”

Tess chose to ignore him and told him anyway. “It’s Pam! You remember Pam Troy, don’t you?”

How could he not? Troy was another notch on his bedpost that he got rid of as soon as he got her in bed. He had to groan because Pam was as clingy as Tess if not more so. And running into her was like driving straight towards oncoming traffic.

Max decided to lie instead in the hopes that Tess will go away. He was having so much fun watching Liz onstage and the rest of the party come to life because of their music. And now Tess just ruined everything.

“Zan! Oh my god! Zan Evans, it is you!” Pam screeched.

Max winced at the sound of her voice. It was like nails scratching on a chalkboard. “I’m sorry! I don’t know you!”

“Of course you do! Remember Tess’ party two years ago?” Pam looked at him lustily.

“No!” Max brushed them off quickly and ordered a drink at the bar. Unfortunately, the two women were still right behind him.

“Well maybe Tess and I can help you remember.” Pam placed a hand on his hard bicep.

Max looked at the two with shock and disgust. Did they really say what he thought they said? How had he ever gotten associated with these two? “Look, I don’t know what you two are up to but leave me alone! I’m turning over a new leaf! I’m not the Zan you used to know!”

“Is it because of that pathetic girlfriend of yours?” Tess spat out.

As soon as Max heard that, his vision darkened with fury. He quickly rose out of his seat and glared at Tess dangerously. “Don’t you ever talk that way about her! Do you understand me? Both of you! ”

Pam and Tess were nodding vigorously in fright.

“Make sure that you do or you’ll regret it! What do you know about her anyway?!”

“Ava told me how you and her pined over each other for years. She thought it was romantic.” Tess rolled her eyes. “Though your way wouldn’t exactly be called pining.” Tess bit back loud enough for Max to hear. Pam even smirked at her friend’s comment.

But before Max could do or say anything, Liz walked gracefully towards him and gave him a sweet kiss on the cheek. “Hey, how are you liking the show so far?”

Once again, the entire world and everything else along with it faded in Max’s eyes, all except Liz. “You were great up there, Lizzie.” Max replied then kissed her deeply.

When the two blondes finally got to close their jaws after it dropped to the floor, they got very fanatical wanting to talk to their idol…Liz.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! I love you! You don’t know how much I love all your songs and I’ve been to your every gig in New Mexico!” Pam squealed.

“I’m so happy you’re here in New York and oh wow! I’m partying with 4Square and most especially, Liz Whitman! Oh my god!” Tess was screaming along with Pam.

When the two girls started screaming and squealing, Max and Liz turned to watch them trip over themselves as they praised Liz.

“We’re your biggest fans!” Both girls shrieked. “Oh god, can we hug you?”

Without even waiting for Liz to respond, both blondes sandwiched her in a hug. Liz was already handling fame elegantly by letting the two do just that with a radiant smile still on her face.

“Oh! Oh! We need to have our picture taken together!” Pam said.

“Oh yes! And I brought my camera!” Tess quickly took out her cyber shot and took pictures of Liz with Pam. Then she passed the camera to her friend so the other girl could take pictures of her with Liz. When it was turn for a group pic, the two girls were at a loss at how to do it. Until they remembered Max was still there.

“Zan, make yourself useful and take a pic of us three! Here.” Tess thrust the tiny camera in Max’s hands.

Max was stunned that Tess had the nerve to order him to take a picture of her with his girlfriend. Liz, on the other hand, was trying her best to stifle her laughter at the situation.

Once the pictures were taken, the two blondes turned to Liz. “Are you Zan’s girlfriend?”

“Uh…yeah.” Liz said with a tender smile.

“What?! Do you even know what kind of a guy he is? I have to admit he is good in bed but as a boyfriend…” The two started to laugh hard.

Liz began to feel bad, something was going on right in front of her and she had no clue. Then she wondered how Max knew these women and her stomach dipped as she had an inkling of how exactly.

Max didn’t know what to do when Tess opened her mouth. If only she wasn’t Ava’s twin, he would have punched her right then and there.

“Liz, come on, let’s get out of here.” Max took her hand and they made their way to the balcony of the building for some fresh air and a bit of privacy. Max was worried; he knew where Liz’s thoughts had gone to when she looked up at him with her big brown eyes.

Once they were alone, Max turned Liz to face him. “Liz, I don’t know any other way to say this but Tess and Pam, they were…they…” He couldn’t even complete his sentence. He knew it would break Liz’s heart to tell her just exactly what he had done with the two women. And to see his only love hurting breaks his heart as well.

But before he could proceed, Liz silenced him with a finger against his lips. With tears in her eyes, she began to speak. “It’s all in the past, Max. I don’t want to talk about that anymore.”

“But Liz, we have to.”

“Why? It’ll only cause us to more pain again.”

“I know, Lizzie, and I’m so sorry. I wish I waited for you, I wish that with all my heart.”

Liz placed her palm on Max’s chest. “But no matter how hard you wish, you can never go back. And honestly, I don’t think you should.”

“What?”

“Max, everything that happened to us, it’s what brought us to this. I don’t think we would be valuing our relationship this much if we didn’t have to go through all that pain from being away from each other. Let’s just be happy that we’re finally together now.”

Max kissed her with all the love he could give. But it was still a bit hard for him knowing what he had done.

“Max, do you love me?”

“Liz, of course I do. You know that.”

“Then we start clean. No matter what had happened, we can’t change it anymore. It’s me you love, right? And they don’t mean a thing, right?”

Max nodded in response to both questions.

“Let’s just look at the present and leave behind all the hurt in the past, please. I’m so tired of it all, Max. I want to be happy, just happy with you.” Liz asked of him.

“Whatever you want, Liz. You know I would do anything for you.”

“No, Max, do this for us. If we don’t get past this then our relationship will never progress.”

“I love you so much, you know that.” Max kissed her. He was so proud of the woman she has become. And she was right, it was their past that made their relationship more meaningful. It was their past that made them who they were now.

“I know. I love you too.” Liz grinned and returned his kiss. “Besides, I’ve been watching how you treated those two earlier.”

“You were?”

“Yeah, cause I thought it was Ava you almost dropped on the floor.”

At that, both Max and Liz burst out laughing while still in each other’s arms.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Hi! I'm back! I'm so sorry for the delay everyone but this is a long part for you all. I hope you all enjoy reading this.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 30

With their time in New York winding down, the entire gang decided to hang out together as much as they can. This was more important for Alex and Liz since after so long, they were going to be living so far from each other once the rest of 4Square returns to New Mexico.

As they relaxed and lounged in the Evans household pigging out on pizza and sodas and watching movies on DVD, Liz decided it was time to inform everyone about something very important.

“Guys, I need to talk to you about something.” Liz spoke.

Everyone looked at her with apprehension.

“What is it this time? You going back to Roswell with us?” Michael joked.

Max’s eyes widened in fright at that statement, he quickly looked at her worriedly. So Liz moved closer to him to reassure him that that was not it.

“I’m still staying but…I want to quit.” Liz said softly.

“Quit? Quit what?” Maria asked. The other three were left speechless.

“What? Liz, no! You can’t do that.” Max was the first to protest.

Maria gasped, “You mean the band?!”

Liz looked at her apologetically. She didn’t want to hurt her friends’ feelings but if they do start getting famous, she’d have to go on tours and concerts night after night. That was not the life she wanted now that she had Max.

“Why not, Max? The only reason I joined was to find you.”

“Liz, you can’t quit if I’m your only reason. You love this band, your friends, your family. Don’t you think you’re doing too much too soon?” Max persisted.

“You’re not the only reason. And even though I’m not in the band, that doesn’t mean that I love you guys any less. You’re my family. Not just Alex, but all of you.” Liz looked at them all.

The rest were still reeling in shock from Liz’s announcement but more so with Max’s reaction to it. They didn’t think he would go against her on it. They knew how determined Liz could get and when she’s in that mood, she’d be willing to pick a fight with anyone who tries to stop her, even if it was Max.

“Why do you want to leave, Liz?” Isabel asked.

“I know that 4Square is gonna hit it big. I can see that happening. But,” she glanced at Max, “I don’t want to spend my life touring all over the country. I’ll admit I was planning to do that if that’s what it would take to find him. I’m sorry, but that was my main reason. And now that’s he’s here…. Look, I know it looks like he’s the main factor to this. Yes, he was a huge part but please don’t be mad at him. He had no idea about this.” Liz was looking particularly at Alex. “I’m just not built for a life on the road. I can’t do that.”

Everyone understood where Liz was coming from. But she was still a part of them and losing her was hard to take.

“I’ll admit I was jealous of what you had. Alex and Isabel, you have each other. Michael and Maria, you have each other. I know I’m going to sound selfish, but what about me? I want to have what you have and I’ve searched for it for so long. Now that he’s here, I can’t go and I don’t want to. I…I want to experience the same happiness that you have.” Liz finished.

Max moved closer to her and made her look at him. “I’m the band’s lawyer, I can go with you if you want me to.”

“No, Max! What about your career here?” Liz protested.

“You’re willing to give up your career for me. Why can’t I do the same for you?”

Liz didn’t know what answer to give him. She knew nothing she could say can make him see why it would be wrong to give up his law practice while she was willing to give up her band. She only sighed and waited for what the others’ reactions would be.

“Liz, is this really what you want?” Alex finally spoke up.

Liz looked at her brother and nodded.

“Then I guess we need to find a replacement as soon as possible.”

“WHAT?!”

“Alex, you can’t let her do this!” Michael bellowed.

“She’s a grown woman, Michael. I can’t stop her from doing anything.” Alex replied.

“Thank you, Alex. Thank you so much.” Liz rushed to hug her brother. “Look, I’m not really out of the picture yet. I would want to stay and be the band’s songwriter or something to that effect.”

“So this is for real, you’re truly leaving.” Maria said as she moved closer to Liz and took the shorter woman in a hug.

“No, I’ll still be a part of you guys.” Liz answered with her voice breaking. Maria extended one arm towards Isabel and all three women started crying silently in a group hug.

“Wait a minute! Why the hell are you all crying? Can’t all of us stay here in New York? What’s stopping us from moving as well?” This came from Michael.

Everyone stopped and just looked at Michael. It wasn’t because they thought his idea was preposterous but because no one ever came up with it but him.

“Good idea, Michael. I’m sure Mom and Dad wouldn’t mind if you guys stay at their house till you get settled here permanently.” Max agreed with Michael’s proposition.

The women all smiled and started squealing and jumping up and down. And the men winced at the high pitched voices that echoed throughout the room.

“Oooh, Michael, why didn’t you tell us this sooner?” Maria lunged at her boyfriend and pinched his cheeks after she and the other girls finished celebrating.

“This will be perfect. We’ll stay here and we can still be all together without Liz being so far away from us.” Isabel agreed.

“This will shock Mom and Dad but I’m sure they won’t mind as long as we promise to visit often.” Alex grinned at Liz.

As everyone started discussing about the move, they also began to discuss about finding a replacement for Liz.

“We can probably start auditioning for a keyboardist.” Alex said.

“But we have to check with Mr. Kats about that first. We don’t want to be breaching the contract 4Square has with his record company.” Max informed them.

“Ok, so we’ll talk to Kats ASAP.” Isabel noted on her organizer.

“Wait, what about you, Isabel?” Liz looked at the tall blonde.

“What? What about me?”

“You played the piano. And you know all the songs. It’s just a matter of you playing with the band.” Liz explained.

“Yeah, you can do it, Iz.” Michael joined in.

“What? No! Don’t you know that I freeze on stage?”

“That’s nonsense, you’ve never been onstage.” Michael sneered.

“But, but what about the singing. You know I can’t sing.” Isabel was grasping. Actually, she knew she would be the best choice to replace Liz but she was scared. She was fine with being the band’s manager. She was fine with just watching from backstage. She was fine with working behind-the-scenes.

“Not a problem, I can do all the vocals.” Maria smiled.

“Look, just give it a try. We’ll introduce you in our next gig and if people like you, you’re it.” Liz beamed as well.

At their next promotional gig, that was exactly what they did. When the time was right, Isabel took over the keyboards. They didn’t inform anyone yet about Liz leaving but they wanted to see the people’s reaction to the change. And as predicted the audience enjoyed the performance the same way they would have enjoyed it with Liz on stage. When the rest of the band introduced who Isabel was, the crowd welcomed her warmly.

Sometime during the show, Max pulled Liz on the dance floor just as Alex began a slow acoustic song.

A couple of days before the show, Alex approached Max. Max was surprised when his secretary told him that an Alex Whitman was outside wanting to see him. Hurriedly, Max told his secretary to let him in.

Alex greeted Max and got straight to the point. “Max, I came here to apologize.”

“Uh, for what?”

“That fight that we had when Liz told us of her decision to stay with you.”

“Oh, that.” Max slowly sank back in his seat.

Alex kind of sensed what Max was thinking due to his expression but rushed to reassure him. “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry that I didn’t see how much you made my sister happy. I was worried at first when I found out that you and your parents wanted to adopt her. See, I’ve wanted to have a sister for so long. And the thought of losing Liz, well, it clouded my mind with anger. I’m sure she’s told you of how over protective I can be sometimes.”

Max nodded with a smirk.

“Yeah well, I’m trying my best to change that. Which is why I didn’t say anything when she announced that she was leaving the band. I know she’s old enough to make her own decisions. It’s not that I don’t trust her to make the right ones. I was just scared of her hurting. I’ve seen how miserable she’s been without really knowing why. And having you back in her life has changed her…for the better. So thank you, Max.”

Max was stunned for a couple of minutes, but once he had recovered he smiled at Alex. He was now looking more and more like someone Max can be good friends with. Though he was already planning on doing whatever it takes to get on Alex’s side for Liz’s sake.

“Just promise me something.” Alex continued.

“Sure, anything.” Max was quick to respond.

“Take care of her and make her happy always.”

“With all my heart.”

“Good. Well, I better let you get back to your work.” Alex stood up but Max stopped him when he was about to take a step.

“Now I need to talk to you about something.” Max began.

“Ok.” Alex nodded and waited for Max to continue.

Max took a deep breath. “I want to marry Liz.”

The guitar strings were strummed and Alex started to sing accompanied by Maria.

If I lay my voice down at your feet
Would you still hear my song echoing
I might end this game of hide and seek
Because in you
I am complete
Oh in you
I am complete

“Liz, are you sure that this is what you want? To stay here with me in New York? To leave 4Square?” Max asked as they danced.

“Yes, Max. We’ve been apart for so long. I don’t want to be away from you again.” Liz answered as she laid her head on his chest.

Max remembered the talk he had in his office with Alex. He sought the other man’s eyes and knew that with them doing this for him, they were giving their blessing.

All the voices I hear in my sleep
All the sins of my past echoing
To stay off my knees and on my feet
Oh but they,
They can't complete
Cause in you
I am complete

“I don’t want to be away from you either, Lizzie. So, even though I know that we haven’t been together long and that I promised that we would take this slow, I have to say this.” Max said.

Liz could feel his heartbeat racing and looked up to meet his eyes.

“I love you, Liz, only you. In all the years that we’ve been separated I have never loved anyone else. We don’t have to rush this but I felt that this is the right time to ask.”

“Ask what?” Liz was starting to get nervous as well.

Maria and Alex’s voice blended perfectly. Lovers danced slowly and gracefully. And Max and Liz continued to hold each other, eyes locked on the other.

Ohhh........
Ohhh.........
Ohhh........
Ohhh.....

I am complete
I am complete
I am complete
I am complete
I am complete

If I lay my voice down at your feet

“Will you make me complete, Liz? Will you marry me?”

**Song used was Complete by Stephen Speaks.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Disclaimer: Song used in one of my all-time faves, Once in a Blue Moon by Sydney Forest from Simply Irresistible.

Author's note: We've now reached the much awaited epilogue. I loved writing this because I was inspired by the song and the words just flew freely.

I never expected to get that many readers and I was blown away by the number of feedbacks I've received. Thank you so much.

hazz – Haley
Strawberry88
FSUMSW94 – La’Shon
extingman – Bonnie:
I hope you're already well.
frenchkiss70 – Tiph: Thanks so much for anchoring me in the beginning of this fic.
dreamer19
sweetbrowneyes – Tiffany
RASaero611
begonia9508 – Eve
tj
roswellluver
Natz
purpleant
Emz80m – Emma:
My chica
moonlight – Ana
Ariadne
coley452 – Nichole
mmcherron – Lissa
Bixie – Sandra
Blink1lit
Behrsgirl77 – Tanya:
Thanks for being my sounding board.
BelevnDreamsToo – J: *smooch*
sox
Raychelxluscious – Raychel
Alien614
Spicy trini1
Katrina
foreverdreamer15
Venus_star2.com – Rae
limegreenli – aly
anonymousarfan
Smac
lizard_queen – Ki-ki
stargrl678
Anya
AvengingAngelIQ
snoopie13
Elci
kittens
RebeccaBehrEvans
D0MiiNiiCANA
Alex Balex
LTL
Dreamersworld
Akashaa
RoninBehr
cocopucks
rossieaddicted
martine
RoswellDreamer_bb10
Lizza – Jessica
con angel – Kaz
su-lyn
sam_me
g7silvers
azure
FamersAmers
chinablueeyes
WildSphinx
Alma
Gaby7tvm
babylisou – Ann:
Thank you so much for my beautiful banners.
marteloise
Roswell 10/2/00 – Erin
Itzstacie - Stacie
roswellian504
RoswellLuver*16
me x0x – Lisa
MilesToGo99
HBGO
katilyz – Cathy
janesdilemma – Stephanie
brighteyes
True Destiny 666
roswells_hope_lily
ILYMEFOREVER - Mary
Kel1227
DreamerHeart
txndreamer06
channytell
isis7777
rigel
Roswelllostcause
Darknhauntinglove
katmcken

Ok, now I just want to let you know that I won't be posting for some time. But that's so I could write all the other fics I have in line. So watch out for that. Thanks so much again. Love you all. *smooches*

~*~*~*~*~

Epilogue

The wind was blowing freely on a warm spring day and 4Square has just finished their promotional tour. Everyone was enjoying their break and the gang was all back in Roswell for just that.

And to start off their vacation was a very special occasion. Today, 4Square was playing an exclusive gig. Alex started playing the soft strings of his acoustic guitar and Maria’s melodious voice soon followed to accompany him.

The room is empty
The lights are dim
And my heart wonders
If I'll ever see you again

On top of a hill that meant so much to two little children two decades ago were Alex, Isabel, Michael, Maria, the Whitmans and the Evans. Twenty years ago, the grassy hill was a place where promises were made. Today, vows are going to be exchanged there once again.

My tears are hungry
For an open door
When your arms held me
I never felt that way before

With one arm looped around her dad’s, Liz marched down the aisle towards the only man she has ever loved. Max looked at her with all the love he could give.

And I'll be waiting
And I'll be watching
Under a blue moon
A taste of heaven only happens
Once in a blue moon

As Max took Liz’s hand in his, a tear fell down his cheek. Liz reached up and wiped it away caringly. Both then faced the minister that was blessing their union.

Do you remember
When the wind blew free?
We fit together
So naturally

“Do you, Maxwell Zander Evans, take Elizabeth Parker Whitman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?”

“I do.” Max answered while gazing into Liz’s eyes and squeezing her hand tenderly.

“Do you, Elizabeth Parker Whitman, take Maxwell Zander Evans to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?”

“I do.” Liz replied with a adoring smile for Max.

And I'll be waiting
And I'll be watching
Under a blue moon
A taste of heaven will only happen
Once in a blue moon

“The rings, please.” The minister turned to Michael who presented the rings.

Max took one and said, “Liz, take this ring as a symbol of my undying love for you. I promise to love you, and honor you and cherish you for the rest of our lives and hereafter.” He carefully slid the ring in Liz’s finger and gave her hand a sweet kiss.

Liz took the other ring and said, “Max, take this ring as a symbol of my undying love for you. I promise to love you, and honor you and cherish you for the rest of our lives and hereafter.” She did the same thing, carefully sliding the ring into Max’s finger and pressing his hand her heart.

If the wind
Closes a door
It will open another

And finally, the priest announced, “By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife.” He then looked at Max, “You may now kiss your bride.”

Max didn’t even wait a second after the priest said that. He pulled Liz close to him and kissed her with his entire heart and soul. Liz responded with as much intensity that her husband had as everyone began applauding the newlyweds.

And I'll be waiting
And I'll be watching
Under a blue moon
A taste of heaven only happens
Once in a blue moon
Once in a blue moon

The End
Last edited by kay_b on Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kay_b »

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all your feedback, to those I wasn't able to include in that list like Cherie (smooches) and the lurkers and everyone, just...thank you, so much.

Ok, I just wanted to leave a note about what's happening with my other projects. Two fics will be posted soon. I don't know when, but I will post 2 fics at a time. Right now there are four in the works and honestly, I haven't even started on them all and 2 more have been added to the line up.

Now the first two are: My Favorite Regret and Forever and a Day (still not sure about the title)

MFR is a story that I've had swirling around in my head since last year. I already have the banner, thanks to the great Ann :D. This is another AU fic but will have aliens in them. And unfortunately, baby Zan exists and has the same mother as the one in the show. However, Alex is very much alive.

FAAD also has a banner made by the sweet Ella :D I love the banner she made and I think some of you have seen it already. This is totally AU and very Dreamer, as usual, what else is there to expect coming from me? LOL. For this fic, I already have the Prologue and Chapter 1 drafted. They still need a lot of work but it's getting there.

Ok, I think someone asked if this will have a sequel, and uh, sorry but my answer is no. I only thought of this fic as ML's journey back to each other so I don't have any plotline for another piece. On the other hand, one of my old fics might become a trilogy. I have an idea for a third book but it still needs tweaking so we'll see. Now you just have to guess which one, haha.

Smooches,
Kay