Amaranthine (M/L, TEEN) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

Amaranthine (M/L, TEEN) (Complete)

Post by roswellianprincess16 »

Winner - Round 9

Winner - Round 8

Title: Amaranthine (Eternally Yours)

Author: Selena

Rating: TEEN

Coupling: Dreamer, AU WITH aliens

Disclaimer: Roswell does not belong to me, it is the property of its rightful owners.

Summary: This fic is actually based on my very favorite novel, Beyond Forever by Debra Dier. The premise of love beyond forever and soulmates is one that has always thoroughly affected me, and I continued to see possiblities for it in Roswell fandom. So... here is my attempt.

Liz Parker finds herself visiting her parents new restaurant in Roswell New Mexico, when she meets a handsome stranger. Something about him strikes a very familiar chord, and when he explains why, the reason is far beyond anything she could have ever imagined.

Author's Note: A big thank you to Lissa for her beta-ing skillz. Luv ya sweets. And to Mary for the LOVELY banner. You rock babe!

Amaranthine (Eternally Yours)

Chapter 1:

It was you.

The dry, hot desert wind spiraled lazily around Liz Parker, as if whispering an untold secret. She closed her brown eyes, letting the feeling enrapture her, amazed at how she could almost repeat the words the wind could never say. She felt it travel through her thick brown hair, making it wild with excitement.

When she opened her eyes, they drifted upwards toward the sky, capturing the sparkle of the millions of stars shining effortlessly. It was one of her favorite places, and with each visit to her parents, she felt more and more drawn to the oddly shaped rock beside her, and how it held such a sense of familiarity.

Liz.

The wind whispered and she turned, convinced she had actually heard a voice. She looked up again, and pulled out her camera, to take shots of the bright sky. Venus was high and bright and it seemed that the Aries constellation was the brightest, clearly seen throughout the expanse of the heavens. She smiled, and then turned to take pictures of the desert night.

A soft beeping caught her attention. She looked down to see a flashing light on her phone. She had a voicemail. Of course, she had been gone far longer than she’d promised. She was sure it was her parents showing a very relevant concern. After all, it was nearly 11pm, and she was alone… in the desert. She laughed, wondering what her dear friend Maria would say.

“Crazy old Liz.” She said with a smile, and turned, ready to head back to her car. She looked around, confused for just a moment. She had parked down the road, and simply walked the distance. Now, she wished desperately that she’d thought to park right in the area. There was more than enough room. She pulled out her keychain flashlight and started to walk, when she was startled by a voice behind her.

“Lost?” She froze, feeling her heart stop within her chest. The word had been practically a whisper, deep and electrifying in its tone. She turned slowly, hoping to catch sight of the culprit.

“You really shouldn’t be out here all alone at night.” He said with a smirk on his lips. She flashed her light toward him, making his features glow. She couldn’t help but notice the strong curve of his jaw or the way his hair fell upon his forehead so softly. But, what most captured her were his eyes. Even in the darkness, they seemed to radiate with a warm glow, like that of a cooling embers. And despite her better judgment, she couldn’t look away.

“I was just going home.” She managed to scrape out, and cleared her throat, which was suddenly sounding incredibly thick. She kept her light shining on him; after all, he was a strange man, approaching her in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the night. Rationally, this was what serial killers and horror movies were made of. And still, she didn’t feel the need to run. Instead, there was an overwhelming feeling of security.

“Looking at the stars?” He suddenly looked up, and she froze, staring at his profile. He certainly had a knack for stunning her into silence. She looked up, trying to follow his gaze.

“Yes. I love the stars.” She said, as they continued to stare up, simply standing in comfortable silence.

“See Venus, right up there in the sky?”

“Yes, of course.” She listened with interest, swallowing up every word. They seemed to flow out slowly, like sweet honey on her ears.

“It’s part of a larger constellation of stars, Aries in particular, which during certain times of the year, changes its shape and forms the V-Constellation. It is the only constellation seen in that form both on Earth and on other planets.”

She let the silence linger for a moment and smiled.

“A star watcher, are you?” She said with a coy smile. Immediately after, she regretted it. What was she thinking? Flirting with a man she knew nothing about! And, who could very well be plotting to kill her.

“More of a traveler.” He said softly, turning his gaze toward her. And for a moment, it was as if she couldn’t move; she was simply stunned by his beauty. The moonlight seemed to cast a silver glow on his sun kissed skin which made him look like an old Greek statue. One of the ones she had spent so many hours studying in museums. “So, you must be the photographer everyone has been buzzing about in town. Elizabeth Parker?”

She felt her cheeks flush a warm red and looked away, hoping to avoid his glare.

“I didn’t realize there was word.”

“Roswell is a small town, word gets around quickly.”

“Of course. And, you… are a townie?”

“Originally, yes. I’d like to think so. Now…I kind of reside in between places.” He smiled suddenly, as if sharing in a secret joke. She found herself wanting desperately to be a part of it. Too desperate, really.

“How is it you know so much about stars?”

“I think of the stars as a map. They can always help you find your way home.” She looked at him carefully, exploring the way he spoke. Truthfully, the man was an intoxicating dream on all her senses. And, she knew very well how dangerous that could be.

“And, how could you possibly know if a constellation is seen from other planets?”

“There have been tales.” He said with a smile, as the soft beeping returned. She looked down suddenly, catching sight of the red light. Another voicemail.

“I really must go. It was a pleasure meeting you…”

“Max.” He whispered. “Max Evans.”

“Yes, a pleasure Mr. Evans.” She said and turned to walk back in the direction of her car.

“A pleasure, Miss Parker.” He whispered after her, as it traveled through the wind and swirled throughout her hair. She looked back, hoping to catch one last glance. Oddly enough, he was gone.

<center>***</center>

Liz drove up to her parents’ new establishment and smiled. It really was something to look at, despite how ridiculous the idea had sounded when they first pitched it to her. She stepped out of her new Toyota Prius, one of those hybrid cars that were safe for the environment. She had been thrilled to see she could do something good to save the atmosphere, and make the sky clearer, in order to catch the beauty of the stars.

She looked down at her watch and sighed, knowing she was in for an earful. Her parents still insisted on treating her as if she were a teenager.

She stopped in front of the café and smiled. Parker’s Music Corner Café. Quite fitting, when she thought of everything it was going to accomplish.

Maria herself had come in from Los Angeles in order to christen the place with her talent on opening night. It had brought crowds to Roswell like nothing ever before.

Now, her father sat on the small stage near the back corner and strummed his guitar softly, probably practicing for another performance that week.

She walked in slowly, letting the door close and ring the bell behind her.

“Do you know what time it is?” He said, without looking up.

“Yes, Daddy, I do. I was doing some research.” She said and pulled up a chair before the stage, watching him play. He looked up, his dark brown eyes looking at her with a hint of laughter. He had a few pieces of his dark hair over his forehead, and she could see that he was beginning to gray on the sides. Her father had always seemed so ageless.

“You can never get your mind off work, can you? The planetarium is miles away Lizzie. Leave it there. Enjoy your vacation.”

She looked up, meeting him with her bright chestnut eyes and reached up to tie her hair with the extra scrunchie on her wrist.

“As long as there is a sky above where I may be, I will be working. That is after all, what I do.”

“What is your fascination with the stars?” He asked, letting his hand linger on his guitar.

“I guess they just… remind me of home. I feel so very safe when I look up at the stars. Like finally, I know what my place is in the universe.” She stopped, catching herself before getting way too emotional. “Besides, I wasn’t gifted with music. I had to find something I was passionate about.”

She smiled and stood, heading over to the counter.

“Want a drink?”

“Sure.” She heard him say, as she grabbed two cups and put them on the soda machine.

“So, how was tonight?”

“Great. Another large crowd. I think for an opening week, we are doing very well.”

“Good, good.” She grabbed two straws and turned back toward her father. “Have you heard from Maria?”

“No, is she coming back? She really is a life saver, that girl. I’d pay her any amount of money to sing here again.”

“Dad, she’s like family, she’d never take your money, and you should know better than that.”

“Yea, well, I wouldn’t mind another night like opening night. We made so much money; I was all ready to open a new restaurant.” She laughed as she handed him his drink.

“Don’t get too ahead of yourself now. Besides, you all still need to come visit me in New York City. I can give you both free tours of the Metropolitan, the Museum of Natural History, and of course the Hayden Planetarium, where I work.”

“Of course, we’ll get there; your mom has been pestering me about it for months.” He put down the guitar and grabbed the case from behind his chair. He started packing it up slowly, as she sat and sipped her Coke, curling her legs beneath her on the chair.

“You know, I met someone out in the desert tonight.”

“There was someone out there at this crazy hour? Beside you? Who knew such people existed?”

“Whatever Dad.” She said, laughing at his sarcasm. “Anyway, I think he may be related to the Evans family, you know the lawyers.”

“Oh really, Philip and Diane? I didn’t know they had other family in Roswell.” Jeff closed the guitar case and stood up, finally moving toward the backroom.

“I think he might have been their son. He looked young enough. Max Evans?” She inquired, hoping far too strongly that they knew something about him. She had tried to avoid the overwhelming desire to look him up immediately, but the soft sound of his voice was still resonating in her ears. The way his eyes glowed in the moonlight, with that eerie iridescence, she couldn’t get the image out of her mind.

And now, she was trying to be as discreet as possible, by asking what she could no longer wonder about. Who was this Max Evans?

“Max Evans. It doesn’t ring a bell. But you know, sweetie, he may be a cousin or something. They don’t have any children.” He said as he reached the backdoor. Liz almost choked, as the fluid refused to go down her throat.

“What?”

“They don’t have children. They tried for years, but it seems Diane was barren. They were going to adopt, but they never found the children they’d been searching for.”

She felt the hair on her arms rise, forming goosebumps on her skin. He was right; he could have very well been a cousin or nephew. But something within her was scratching, as if there were something important she should remember, but couldn’t.

“Are you all right Liz? You look pale.”

“Yes, yes, I’m fine. I think I’m going to bed. It’s been a really long night. Thanks Dad.”

“No problem sweetie. I’ll see you in the morning.” She went up the stairs toward the apartment above the café. Maybe with some sleep she’d be able to shake off the weird feeling. She would realize that the man in the desert was simply a kind man in search for conversation. There was no reason to feel so put out. Despite the fact that she was sure there was something about him, something she was supposed to remember.

<center>***</center>

Liz was the first to awaken in the house. As she made her way onto the balcony outside her bedroom window, she looked up at the bright blue sky, and the fluffy clouds slowly whirling by.

She looked around slowly, taking in every corner and stone. It was a comfortable sized balcony, and there were some patio chairs set out in different areas for some leisurely seating. She smiled, and sat down, stretching her legs out, wrapping her blanket around her pajama clad body.

She was plagued by an odd sense of déjà vu, which kept her looking around carefully, trying to make sense of what it was that seemed so familiar. But she knew, logically, that she had never been there before.

“Liz.” She jumped a bit, startled by the voice. She stood up and walked slowly toward the edge, looking down at the man at the bottom. In the sunlight, his dark hair was shining and suddenly, he looked up. She caught sight of his golden eyes, creasing at the edges with his smile.

She realized her confusion registered on her face when she heard him laugh.

“I didn’t mean to startle you.” Max said softly, walking closer to the bottom of the building.

“What are you doing here?” She looked back toward her window, and then back down at the man at the bottom of the fire escape.

“I had to see you again.” He smiled, and then reached for the ladder.

“Me?” She looked down at her body, remembering she was in her pajamas and felt her cheeks flush.

“Can we talk?” The earnestness in his eyes flashed an image in her mind, of a star filled night, when she looked out over the balcony at a young man, with black hair and beautiful worried eyes. She shook her head, shaking away the vague image.

“How odd.” She whispered to herself, placing a piece of her loose hair behind her ear.

“What?”

“Umm… nothing. I… meet me in front of the café in five minutes.” He nodded and she ran back inside, throwing on a pair of jeans and a tank top, and putting her hair into a loose ponytail. She ran down the stairs and into the main restaurant area of the café. She stopped for a moment, seeing him on the other side of the glass doors, standing with his hands in the pocket of his jeans. She froze, remembering a similar image.

“This place is making me crazy.” She said, as she shook her head and walked toward the door, to unlock it and let him in. He walked in slowly, letting the door close softly behind him.

“I came to bring you something.” He pulled his hand out of his pocket, and handed her a pendant, with a strange symbol on one side.

Liz looked at it carefully, turning it around, and holding it firmly in her hand.

“What is it?”

“It’s a Native American pendant. It is the symbol of the whirlwind galaxy. I thought it was quite fitting, seeing how much you love the stars.”

She looked up at him, as if suddenly seeing him for the first time.

“Thank you.” It was all she could say. Then, there was a quiet calm between them.

Max reached up, and tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear. She felt her heart begin to race madly. He was after all, still very much a stranger. And still, there was something incredibly intimate about the gesture, something that sent her body into chills, and had her staring into his eyes, completely gone.

“You look lost.” He whispered suddenly, breaking Liz out of her reverie.

“Have you ever felt like you were walking through a dream? A half remembered memory, but you know it wasn’t real?” Her eyes never left his, and she could feel a rumbling low within her stomach.

“Yes.” Was all he said, as they stood, frozen in that moment, not recognizing anything else around them. “Especially here.”

“Why?”

“It’s your soul recognizing something your brain has not seen, but that your heart knows quite intimately.” His words struck a chord within her, as she thought of the countless pauses in time she’d experienced since arriving in Roswell.

“Lizzie!”

She turned, looking back toward the backroom door, in search for her father.

“I’m down here.” She turned back around, and her eyes grew wide. She was completely alone.

“Liz, sweetie, who were you talking to?” Her mother walked through the back door, a bright morning smile covering her face. Liz continued to look ahead, at the empty space that had been so full of life, so full of passion and so full of the mystery that was Max Evans.

“I just though… I was… nothing. I was just, trying to get my thoughts in order.”

“Do you want some breakfast, sweetheart?”

“Sure.” Liz shook her head, trying to make sense of what had just happened. She sat on the stool, in front of the counter, and leaned her hand on her cheek. She had a strange sense that something massive was about to happen, something that she somehow recognized, but knew nothing about.

And the feeling was terrifying, and still, completely exciting. She looked back out toward the glass doors longingly. There was something about Max Evans that triggered quiet parts within her soul.

<center>***</center>

“Liz, babe, this isn’t like you.”

“I realize that Maria, I just… maybe I’m just tired. I need to get more sleep.” Liz took a sip of her hot chocolate and looked up, feeling Maria’s gaze fixed upon her.

“Do you really think he’s just a figment of your tired overactive imagination?” Maria cut her chicken carefully, into small pieces, and placed a chunk in her mouth. Liz smiled, amused by her friend’s new, overly proper eating habits.

“No. I can’t imagine that he’d be fake. He just… he felt so real. I… felt him.” Maria stopped, and put down her utensils, as she looked around the restaurant carefully. They had gone to a restaurant in Santa Fe, in order to give Liz some time to get her thoughts in order. And despite the nice long drive, she was still talking about the dark haired mystery man. She knew she was obsessing, but she couldn’t help the thoughts that were plaguing her. The frozen moment in time when she held the pendant in her hands and his hand softly placed a lingering hair behind her ear. It had all seemed far too familiar, far too personal, and she had enjoyed it far too much.

“Well… what did he feel like?” Maria leaned back in her chair, as if awaiting an interesting story.

“Like I had known him my entire life, even though I know that I just met him last night.”

Maria’s eyes widened as she leaned forward.

“Oh my God.” She whispered, and Liz looked at her curiously, not liking the sound of her voice.

“What?”

“My mom was right.”

“About?”

“About how it’s possible for two souls to meet across time and space and find each other again.”

“Find each other?” Liz looked at Maria carefully. What nonsense was Amy DeLuca spitting out now?

“Liz, the reason he seems so incredibly familiar is because you knew him, in another life.”

“Another life?”

“Yes, soulmates. It’s quite possible that the two of you were lovers in your previous life, and now, he has come to find you again. Liz, this is huge!”

“Maria… I don’t think so. I mean, that just sounds….”

“Impossible? Everything is impossible until you see it for yourself. I’m looking right at it. You kept telling me that the minute you stepped into Roswell you had the strange feeling you’d been here before. This is not the Matrix sweetie, it’s not a glitch. Your subconscious is reacting strongly to the essence of this place.”

“You’ve been around your mother for far too long.”

“There’s a method to her madness.” Maria continued eating her chicken salad, and then stopped again, looking up at Liz with a question in her eyes.

“What?”

“I wonder… maybe the reason he’s approaching you is because although you don’t remember… he does.”

“Why would he remember and not me?”

“I don’t know. I’m not quite sure how all this destiny, intergalactic mumbo jumbo works. I’ll see if Mom has any books on it at the shop.”

Liz shook her head and continued eating her sandwich. But, something Maria said had shaken something up inside of her. She remembered the way he’d looked at her, as if he knew the deepest workings of her soul. And when he touched her, it was as if he’d touched her that way thousands of times before. Was it possible? Was it possible that Max Evans was there to remind her of a love they shared ages ago?

It was ridiculous, she thought to herself. But, there was a lingering doubt in her mind. A doubt that wouldn’t go away until she saw him again.
Last edited by roswellianprincess16 on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 21 times in total.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Wow! You guys, I did not expect such a reaction! *hugs* I'm very glad that you are all enjoying this. I hope I won't disappoint. ;) WELCOME to all.

Chapter 2:

Max sat in the quiet darkness of the old pod chamber with his eyes closed. He knew very well that he had to remain focused on the plan. That it was all that mattered. But, one look at Liz Parker had sent him spiraling into feelings he thought he was incapable of. He had been told countless times that emotions only served to make one weak. As king, he had never understood how that was possible; after all, compassion was an emotion, one that was quite necessary to rule a kingdom, or at least that’s what he thought.

But what he hadn’t expected was the array of human emotions that accompanied his journey. In fact, there was much he didn’t understand about how he had gotten there, and the questions increased with each passing hour.

There was one thing that kept his mind busy however, despite his desire to forget it. The look that Liz had given him, when her beautiful brown eyes had looked at him that morning, as if she were looking right through him, seeing him for what he was and still not caring. He knew it was all in his mind, after all, she knew nothing, except for the strange connection that they shared. But, he couldn’t help but feel that perhaps her soul recognized him, even if her head did not.

It was an incredibly romantic notion, one that he could not let himself believe, because it would serve as a distraction. But memories of different times and places were swirling mercilessly within him, and despite knowing that this was not his Liz, he knew very well that she could be. The thought made his insides all warm, as the blood rushed to his extremities.

“Focus.” He whispered to himself, in the silence of the cave. Their entire future depended on whether or not he carried out his assignment. It was essential that he take advantage of the opportunity given him, the miracle bestowed upon him in the name of true love. The true question was… how was he to even begin? Approaching a very intelligent woman with such fantasy stories seemed more like pick-up lines than pleas for help. It would take some clever planning. It was why he had to think.

Tusoyah Agudenessa.” Max looked up suddenly, watching as a faint glow materialized before him, and the phantom voice evolved into a being of light.

Ayalah.” Max stood, bowing his head slightly at the woman still glowing before him. Her long blonde hair sparkled as if adorned by stars, and her gown hugged her like a thin layer of glitter upon skin. She brightened the dimly lit cave, and was absolutely breathtaking. Pretty impressive for a woman of over 600 years.

“Your highness.” She repeated in accented English, as she motioned with her hand for him to stand up straight.

“I have met her, prophetess, as you said I would. She is… beyond what I could have imagined.” He saw the faint smile on the woman’s lips, and he was sure she was feeling a vague sense of satisfaction.

“This place, it is strengthening your memories, is it not?”

“Yes, very much so. I was afraid the journey between timelines would erase them all, but being near her, it’s… like I’m drowning in them all over again.” He paced around softly and then stopped, realizing how lost he was in her already, after only a day.

“Be careful, young king, that you do not mistaken the great tales you have heard, and the memories of that other life, with what is actually happening between you.”

“I understand.”

“What you both share is very strong. Beware, for if she is not ready to hear your words, she will run from you. She is essential to this mission. If you fail to bring her back, you will never experience the flame of passion and the unbreakable love she represents.”

“I will not fail.” He said, a tightness forming over his lungs. He could not fail. He partially remembered the way Liz felt in his arms, a vague memory of her leaning against him flashed through his mind.

“No, you will not. Lieamdef eris ferzanny kal tousse noso.” With that, she disappeared, leaving him in the darkness.

“Love is stronger than all of us.” He repeated, and placed his hand on his chest, where his heart was beating. He’d complete the mission because it was meant to be. Because prophecy had foretold they’d be together. As of now, things had not turned out the way they should have. He’d complete it, because his body was already yearning for Liz Parker, because just her proximity was enough to remind him what the taste of her kiss did to his system, how the touch of her hand sparked a flame, and how just being near her completed him.

<center>***</center>

The sun seemed to be lingering in the sky, as if it refused to set, to allow the moon to show its glory. Max leaned against the brick on the side of the building, his head looking up to the kaleidoscope sky. The colors and shapes kept moving, with each slow spill of the sun.

He moved ahead and looked through the glass window of the café. Liz was sitting in the back, talking to a pretty blonde, as it seemed quite comfortably. He watched the way she twirled her loose hair slowly, as she remained completely focused on the book in her hand. Then, she looked up, to respond to whatever the blonde was saying. Maria. He barely recognized her.

His quickly turned back to Liz, and watched as she adjusted her reading glasses, and went back to devouring the pages of her book. He felt an odd familiarity about the scene, when an image of a younger Liz flashed through his mind, writing feverishly in a small book, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ears.

He closed his eyes pushing away the image, and noticed how she moved her hair away from her face, and pushed it behind her. Her hand rubbed softly at her neck and then drifted toward her chin. When she slowly turned, and their eyes met.

Max froze, unable to move, lost within her dark depths. Her hand came down slowly, as she kept her gaze on his, as if suddenly recognizing something, something important.

He sighed deeply, wanting to go in and tell her everything. No. It was too much, too fast. He had to let it play out.

He went back to leaning up against the bricks, wondering what she was thinking, what she was feeling. Could she feel it too? The invisible chord that bound them together? It was why a woman as rational as Liz Parker would speak to a stranger at midnight in the desert alone. Why, he knew, despite not having brought it up, that she would help him. Because, she was already beginning to see them, the images that being near him conjured up in her mind. He could see it in her eyes when she looked at him.

But, there was something dangerous lurking in his heart, something he knew very well he had to quench quickly. Part of him wanted to avoid the frightening “ifs” and allow him and Liz a chance in this world. Despite it all, he knew it was impossible. He was a temporary figure, and physical closeness would be impossible. He was like a phantom of sorts, an image of someone who wasn’t truly there, only in spirit.

He walked toward the back of the café and climbed up the fire escape. He’d wait until nightfall, and then he’d make his next move.

<center>***</center>

“Liz. LIZ? Hello… are you even paying me any attention?” Maria looked at Liz wide-eyed, looking over toward the window. The street was becoming a bit more lively, with people coming in and out of the Café and the street lights were turning on, urging the sun to set.

“Did you see him?” Liz asked suddenly, turning back toward Maria, with a confused expression.

“See who?”

“Max. He was there, he was…” She looked at her friend’s concerned expression and let the sentence wither away.

“At the window?” Maria finished for her, with an amused smile.

“Well, he was.”

“Liz, sweetie, give me this book.” She handed over the book, and watched as Maria flipped over a few pages, and stopped, examining something carefully. “Liz, do you still have that necklace?”

Maria looked up from the book, as her eyes drifted down to the item Liz was rubbing between her fingers. The pendant. She had been wearing it since he’d placed it in her hand that morning, and the idea of taking it off was for some unknown reason, terrifying. She leaned her head down as she removed it and passed it slowly to Maria, letting her fingers linger on it for a few seconds longer. Maria snatched it playfully and looked back down at the book.

“What did you say this was?”

“The whirlwind galaxy? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of that, but I was going to look it up online tonight.”

“Weird.” She said, and Liz felt her heart thump loudly.

“What’s weird?” She leaned forward, trying to get a glimpse of what Maria was reading. Finally, she turned the book over, and Liz sat, staring at a familiar symbol. “What? It’s just the yin-yang.”

“Don’t you get it? Look at the symbol. It’s almost exactly the same.”

“So?”

“Listen.” Maria grabbed the book. “The ancient Chinese YIN-YANG, scholars believed, that there are two natural, complementary and contradictory forces in our universe. The scholars named them as YIN and YANG. YIN represents the female, negative, darkness, softness, moisture, night-time, even numbers and docile aspects of things. YANG represents the male, positive, brightness, hardness, dryness, day-time, odd numbers and dominant aspects. YIN and YANG are continually in the state of flux and always looking for the BALANCE point.”

“Ok… umm… I have no clue what all that means.”

“It means, like soulmates, two people, of opposite sides of the natural spectrum, you two have been searching for each other, for a whole lifetime, seeking a balance.”

“When did you become so smart?” Liz asked with a smile, as Maria tossed her a sarcastic grin.

“Whatever, you’re just upset because I’m right.”

“Maria, it just seems so…”

“Farfetched? Liz, honey, the fact that you haven’t stopped talking about his man since you met him out in the scary desert says something to me. Liz Parker who has never had time to think of men, is now completely obsessed with one.”

“Whatever.” Liz said, imitating her best friend, and then sat back and took a sip of her soda. She hated to admit it, but Maria was right. Max Evans had jumped into her system and stuck. And despite her better judgment, she couldn’t wait to see him again.

<center>***</center>

Liz made her way up to her room, closing the door behind her. There was a small draft coming from her window, so she walked over, and looked out for a moment, before closing it tightly. She turned, ready to remove her shirt, and jumped, completely startled.

“Liz.”

“What are you doing here?” She asked, as her hands fell suddenly to her sides. She was looking right at Max Evans, who was standing on the other side of her room. She hadn’t heard the door, she was sure of it. And, he obviously didn’t come through the window. Where DID he come from?

“I had to see you again.” He took one slow step toward her, but she remained frozen, unable to believe her eyes.

“At this hour?”

“The light was on.”

“So, you just invited yourself in?”

“No, I knew that you’d be here.”

“You couldn’t have knocked?” She asked, her eyes wide with confusion. Something was not right, and still, she couldn’t bring herself to feel frightened. Usually, she would have started screaming for her father at this point, and he’d drag away the man in her bedroom with very stalker like tendencies. But instead, she stood in place, staring him down, knowing deep down he had a very good reason for being there.

“I won’t harm you.” He said, as if reading her mind and reassuring her.

“The pendant. What does it really mean?” She asked suddenly, surprising herself as she took a step forward.

“You know what it means, deep down, you’ve always known it.”

“I want to hear you say it.” They stood before each other now, a whisper away, staring into each other’s eyes.

“You’re my other half Liz.”

“These memories… they’re real?”

“Very real.” He let his hand drift to the top of her arm, as it slid down slowly, raising the hair on her skin.

“The connection?”

“It has existed through time and place. It is unbreakable.”

“Who are you?” She asked finally, still looking into his eyes, as his hand reached up to her face, cupping her cheek softly. She didn’t miss the fact that his hand fit perfectly around her cheek, or that his soft, otherworldly touch made her warm in the hidden places within her soul.

“You know me Liz, you’ve always known me.” He whispered, and then leaned down softly, placing a cool kiss on her lips, like a beach breeze that brushed her face. She let her eyes remained closed, letting the feeling linger. It was like nothing she’d ever experienced. She knew there was something terribly odd about the whole thing. Was she losing her mind? Making up this phantom version of a lover she was creating within her mind?

“I’m real Liz. And, I’m waiting for you.” She opened her eyes to meet his beautiful golden ones, and then, he leaned back down, and she closed her eyes, ready for another kiss from heaven. Instead, a soft breeze passed her, stopping for a moment to stroke her cheek. She turned suddenly, as the breeze swirled and left the room through the open window.

She froze for a moment, looking around the room. It was empty. She was completely alone. Had she imagined his presence? She reached up to touch her lips, sure she could still feel his kiss on her lips.

“I thought I closed this.” She said finally, startled by the sound of her voice in the silence. She walked toward the window and heard the whispers of the quiet night wind.

You’re the one, Liz. The only one.

She stopped, looked around, and closed the window. Her imagination had gotten away with her. She would simply go to sleep, and perhaps she’d wake up to find that this Max Evans never existed. And even as she lay in bed, part of her panicked, because the thought of him not existing ripped her in half. If part of him did not exist, a part of her could not. The thought startled her even as she was having it.

Liz Parker was not dependant on a man for her existence! She had done very well on her own. Lonely, granted, but well, despite it all. She lay on the bed, holding the pendant in her fingers.

There’ll never be another you.

She looked around, as her eyes drifted toward the balcony. It had been her voice she heard this time, and strangely enough, she remembered exactly why she’d said it. On that balcony, she had broken Max Evans’ heart. And for her life, she didn’t know how that was possible, seeing how she only met him a day ago.
-Isabelle Santiago, Author of Scifi/Fantasy Romance
Not Every Girl Dreams of Prince Charming...
http://twistedfairytale.net
http://twistedfairytale.net/blog/
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Hello everyone! I have come bearing the new chapter. :) You all seem to be developing some great theories ;) I can't wait to see what you all will think after this chpt, it definitely answers some questions. As for the word amaranthine... check this definition out Caelan. :)

From dictionary.com:

am·a·ran·thine adj.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling the amaranth.
2. Eternally beautiful and unfading; everlasting.
3. Deep purple-red.

;)

Chapter 3:

Max felt his entire body shiver. He hated the in between state where he lingered. He was neither here, nor there, but everything dictated that he lived, he felt, in the moment.

His mind drifted to the phantom kiss, the one that still weighed heavily upon his lips. Damn the curse he was under, which he knew really served as a blessing. Despite his strange physical state, he was able to come and meet with his love. The woman he knew he’d kissed and touched so many times before. Not just in his past lifetime, but in the alternate one as well. And the latter, he was beginning to remember more vividly every day.

Being near Liz was like having a key open a sealed vault and let its precious treasures come pouring out. He knew she was the reason for his memories. He knew that although he could incite the alternate life memories, he could not incite the ones from the past life.

It was a very complicated thing, from what he’d learned from the prophetess. And despite understanding science, he didn’t quite understand miracles. All he knew was that in an alternate life, he had saved Liz Parker’s life, and they had fallen madly and deeply in love. But, in some misunderstanding, a future version of himself came back and tried to change the course of their lives. This, he thought, would allow them a chance to start anew. Instead, he ended up sleeping with the enemy, the woman who betrayed him so deeply, he was ruined forever.

After she returned to Antar, the prophetess was furious at how the king had been handled, and by one of his own. In secret, she conjured up a spell to stop the timeline, and send the essence of the king back to the beginning, to start over. She gifted him with foresight, remembering quite clearly the life he should have led. But, she also gifted him with memories of his life on Antar, memories the other version of himself, did not share.

Now, he was there, an incarnation of three men; the one he used to be, the one he currently was, and the one he should be. And all three could agree on just one thing, Liz Parker.

The only mishap, the curse, as he liked to think of it, was the state he was physically in. Due to his temporary residence, he was given a temporary figure, which was neither ghostly nor human. It was as if he were some sort of angel, able to materialize when necessary, and the rest was left to the higher ups.

His mind drifted back to life on Antar, and a quick flash of the kingdom plagued him. It still seemed strange, how something so far away, so completely removed from his being for so many years could still seem so real. He could remember smells and colors, the feel of the water and the different gravitational pull. In fact, it was all much too much like a Star Wars movie, now that he really thought about it. In fact, he was sure Michael would say, that George Lucas had probably met one of their kind. Michael… Max sighed as he felt himself weigh down.

How long had it been since he’d seen his friend? Spoken a word to him? Or Isabel? In fact, it felt like he had been waiting in this new world for an eternity. It was finally time to get back to where he belonged.

He looked up at the clear New Mexico sky, and watched the stars carefully.

“Come back to me Liz. Make this all right again.”

<center>***</center>

Come back to me Liz.

Liz looked up from her book, suddenly startled by the whispering wind. She was wrapped up tightly in a warm blanket, sitting on one of the lounge chairs on her balcony. She looked around for a moment, seeking his presence. She was beginning to recognize the way he felt, when he was nearby. It was a strange mixture of excitement, nerves, and familiarity. She wasn’t even sure why, but every time he was near, it was as if time froze. She was stuck in this moving warp, where only he existed. She knew it was ridiculous; after all, it was simply her body reacting very strongly to a man, making her hormone level rise and mashing her brain, making her incapable of rational thought. But, sometimes it felt like something bigger, something deeper.

She looked back down at her book, trying to get back to her reading. It was really quite embarrassing, how intrigued she was by the whole concept of the book. She knew that scientifically, it was ridiculous! Because, such things simply could not be; past lives, souls traveling through time to inhabit another body, in order to live again, such things were found in fairy tales, not written about as if they were facts.

Then again, what was she expecting? It was Maria who had suggested the book, after all, and Maria always seemed to live in her own little world. She thought back to when they’d gone to Amy’s shop. The reaction she’d gotten for her crazed story. She was sure, at this point, that if Maria and Amy were so riled up about it, then she was probably going crazy to believe that anything that had happened in the past two days was real.

She turned the page, skimming the new chapter. Chapter 4, The Meaning Behind Déjà vu. Well, if the writers did their homework, they’d know that déjà vu was really a process of the brain recognizing things from different areas and putting them together as one mental image, making the person think they’d seen something or been somewhere before. But, Liz was quite sure that the writers weren’t interested in that sort of an explanation. These writers were too fantastical in their thoughts, dreamers to no end. And despite it all, she envied them, for being so free with their thoughts, for believing so strongly.

She would never have bought into any of the things she was reading, but… now, she simply wasn’t so sure. Maria had made a good point.

“How do you know what happens after you die? It’s not like you remember anything.”

And, she had a point. But, was that enough reason to believe the prospect of living more than once, as a part of you is still just like the original? She wasn’t sure.

She closed the book, and tucked it beneath her chair, leaning back to look up at the sky. She couldn’t sleep; the image of Max Evans was still lingering in her head, as she struggled to make sense of it in her mind. It had been such a vivid vision, she had been sure it was real. The way it had all felt, the cool breeze of his presence, the icy heat of his kiss; it was all an array of contradictions that she couldn’t bring herself to decode.

She needed answers. She was beginning to question whether or not Max Evans was even real, or just a figment of her suddenly overactive imagination. She decided she needed peace. There was only one place that could give it to her. She stood up, got back into some clothes, and headed toward her car.

<center>***</center>

Max felt the winds change and he looked back, out toward the empty expanse of desert behind him. The road was still, and the desert creatures were mainly all asleep. Except for those who thrived at night, much like himself. In fact, he was beginning to love the nights, especially when he found himself dreaming, because each dream was a vivid memory of his life before.

His favorite was a mixture, partly Antarian and partly from Earth. He would close his eyes and be drifted to a place far away, with thick red waters and burnt orange and purple skies. The double moons, one always larger than the other, would be shining high in the sky, as a galaxy nearby was swirled, like a whirlwind, in the sky. The city would be alive, as it was at all hours, with traffic and lights moving from place to place. The air traffic was always quite busy, and they could be heard buzzing from inside the castle.

The Emerald Palace was probably the most beautiful sight, and some nights he reveled in being able to see it. The way it shot up toward the sky, like a rare gem trying to sprout through a rock. The silver frame seemed to glow a deep shade of green, bright in the daytime, and silver cast in the night. It was tallest in the middle, and he knew that his bedchamber lie on the top. He remembered, countless sleepless nights when he would be at the window, overlooking the kingdom.

Then, he remembered her face, when he walked into the Chambers hearing, and she sat in her seat, representing Cycas, her planet, unwilling to let anyone sway her opinion. She had seen the rebellion begin to form, while everyone else had been blind to it. But, no one was willing to accept the possibility of a rebellion in the middle of a Golden Age. Those things simply did not happen.

So, Cycas was the first to go, as rebels infiltrated each planet of the system, and tried taking them down. There was no warning as the city went up in flames. She had been on Antar at the time, trying to convince him of what was happening. Kathana contacted as soon as it occurred, and Sero decided the leaders should have another meeting. But, it was too late. By that evening, her kingdom was an ugly ruin, with hundreds of people massacred. Her rule was over.

“Atarah.” He whispered into the open air, as he heard a crackling behind him. He turned quickly, shocked to see Liz, standing behind him. The images of that past life were gone, and the other half of his dream plagued him suddenly, as he was mentally transported to the CrashDown Café, as the gun shot went off and Liz fell to the ground. The emotions that swirled through him were still fresh in his mind, as if he were feeling them that very moment. There was a paralyzing fear, but it was overcome by love, a love that he was sure should not have been.

“I think I knew in some strange way that you’d be here.” She whispered, and he stood frozen, unable to see anything but her; even in the darkness of night she radiated a glow that he was sure only he could see.

“This is going to sound ridiculous,” she said nervously, as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I just, I’ve had this really strange feeling that none of this is real. That my whole life has been this dream…. Please, tell me that you’re real. That I’m not just making you up.”

“I’m real Liz. I’m real.”

“What’s happening to me Max?” She asked cautiously, taking a step closer to him. He didn’t move. He wasn’t sure he was prepared for this. After he told her what he came to say, there was no going back. An image of Liz and he in the band room flashed across his mind and he recognized his anxious feelings. He trusted her once before, he could most definitely trust her now.

“Liz, I know this must be odd for you. Not knowing, not understanding any of this, how your feelings are so familiar and yet nothing rings a bell. It must be frustrating. But, you… you’ve been here before. You’ve known me before.” He said carefully, afraid of her reaction.

“Who are you?” She asked, not challenging his words. He knew, that on some primal level, she understood, she knew even, that she’d visited Roswell before. But, her mind could not recapture those memories; it wasn’t allowing her full recollection.

At this, he took a step forward, finally meeting her face to face. Her jaw was set nervously, but her eyes remained on him. He watched as she swallowed hard.

“I could show you… then again, I’m not sure you’re quite ready for what I have to say.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s very… complicated.” She raised an eyebrow in curious response.

“I want to know.” Max sighed, trying to calm his nerves. She wanted to know. But, how much was he going to show her?

“I have to touch you.” He said softly, as their eyes remained locked on each other. He understood the irony of the moment, how they were replaying a scene in a life they’d already led. But, there was something incredibly terrifying about this moment as well. Because, in this life, Liz owed him nothing. He had not saved her life here… and so, she had no need to believe him, or even keep his secret.

She nodded softly, as his hands came up to her cheeks, and he placed one on each side of her face. He took a deep breath, letting the cool night air fill his system.

“Just take deep breaths. Try to let your mind blank out.” He watched as she took a solid breath, and then he let the images come.

<center>***</center>

She had stood behind him, watching as he looked up at the skies, obviously deep in thought. She hadn’t wanted to interrupt; he looked so peaceful, like the statue of an old Greek god or one of the heroic characters from their mythology. But, his whisper had thrown her off guard.

“Atarah.”

Now, here she was, standing before him, demanding answers. But, there was something so comfortable between them, a sense of familiarity that made her feel at home.

“I could show you… then again, I’m not sure you’re quite ready for what I have to say.” She watched him carefully. He was such an enigma, full of secrets that she wanted desperately to uncover. And still, in some strange way, she felt she knew everything she would ever know about the man before her, that she had known the depths of his soul forever and beyond.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s very… complicated.” Then again, she wasn’t sure it could be uncomplicated, not with the way he made her feel.

“I want to know.” She settled, knowing that it was now or never. She simply had to have the answers she sought, because truthfully, she was afraid of what she was capable of. She knew that if he were to just ask, she’d follow him anywhere, and she didn’t know quite why.

She hadn’t expected him to comply, she noticed, after he stepped up getting even closer than before.

“I have to touch you.” He whispered so quickly, she was unsure she’d heard him. But, she could no longer speak. She was lost within his amber depths, struggling to swim against the current that was dragging her deeper and deeper into his soul. She nodded and felt her stomach flip when his flesh touched her face.

“Just take deep breaths. Try to let your mind blank out.” All she took was one deep breath, and then, it was as if she were sent spiraling into a world of images, all of a time and place she’d never seen.

She saw herself on the floor, with blood pouring slowly out of a wound. And then, he was above her, and there was a warmth all throughout her body. She knew, he had somehow saved her life. But, there were many other images, images of rides down lonely highways, of shared stares and tender moments, images of the way he loved her. And she knew this, because strangely enough, she could feel that from deep within him.

She also saw passion, burning between the two, tears, and she felt the complete heartbreak. Her final emotion was that of utter confusion, as she saw the bright light within a dark chamber. The world had frozen in place, as Max stood in awe of the glowing figure before him.

“What’s going on?” He asked.

“Nousouru nemiesigo hanai duniera noso!”

“What?” He looked up confused, unable to understand her desperate pleas.

Tusia ferzanny kal elillosum.” She motioned toward the blonde woman, stranded in a freeze. “Tusimos lieamdef eris ferzanth.”

He turned, looking to see what she was pointing at behind him. And there he saw Liz’s face.

“Love.” She said, with a thick accent that Liz didn’t recognize. Then, her hands went up from her waist, as if she were holding up an imaginary box. And the room filled with a bright light which then erupted. The freeze was never broken, but Max was gone.

She felt him pull away, breaking the connection. Her mind was still swirling with the images and feelings. She continued to stare at him, unsure of who she was seeing.

“I don’t understand.” She said finally, settling on trying to remain calm. After all, everything she saw defied everything she knew about science, about physics, and about life in general.

“Liz, I’m not from around here.” He said in response, as she took a careful step back.

“Where are you from?”

“I come from the world you just saw. The world where you and I fell in love.”

“What world? Max, there is only one world, and it is the one where you and I live! Now, how did you do that?” She felt herself begin to get hysterical. This was all far too much. She could hear the panic in her voice, but despite trying to remain calm, it was clearly evident.

“Despite what you want to think Liz, there is another world, another place, an alternate universe, I suppose you could say. Your parents owned a restaurant, and one day, during an argument, a gun went off. You were shot.”

“Shot?” She asked, even though she knew exactly what he referred to. Without thinking, her hand drifted up toward her abdomen, as if her body still remembered the wound.

“I… healed you.”

“H-h- healed me?” She stuttered, trying to prevent herself from going into a fit of laughter. Did he realize how ridiculous that sounded?

“Liz, I know this is a lot to deal with, but… I’m an alien.”

“An alien?”

“Yes, I was involved in the crash, here in Roswell, in 1947.”

“There was no crash, here in Roswell, in 1947.”

“Not in this universe, but in mine, there was.” She froze for a moment, and then stopped. Of course. What a miserable world she lived in. She found someone who made her entire soul come alive, and he was absolutely insane.

“Max, I… I have to go. It’s getting late.”

“Liz, wait.” She rushed off, heading back toward the main road. She didn’t want to believe his crazy story. Time did not exist in those types of dimensions! Even if he was an alien, which was impossible, he could not have come from an alternate universe, because such places did not exist! What was worse, she was sure he absolutely believed what he was saying. And it drove her crazy… because she realized guiltily that she wanted to believe him as well.

“Liz!” She reached her car, and opened the door quickly. Before she could get in, she felt his warmth behind her, as the door slammed shut. She turned around, facing him again. His proximity was too much. She needed to get out of there. “You have to believe me.”

“Max, maybe you should see a therapist….”

“It’s true. All of it.”

“Right… of course it is.”

“You SAW it.” He said, as if accusing her. She felt her throat get thick. She had seen something. She wasn’t sure how, but she had managed to see everything and to feel what he was feeling while she saw it.

“Max, goodnight.” She said, unwilling to discuss it any further. She was tired. All she needed was to get some sleep. Then she could make more sense of this whole ordeal in the morning.

“Liz, please. I need you to believe me.” She stepped in the car, and closed the door, and then looked up, to see his pleading eyes. Something within her stirred.

“I have to go.” She stepped on the gas, as the car revved off into the night, leaving Max on the road. She looked back, through the rearview mirror, as she realized her eyes had filled with tears. He stood, a lone figure in the middle of an empty road.

Come back to me Liz.

She heard the whisper in the distance. And she realized, it took all of her force not to go back. Because, despite how incredulous all of what he said seemed, something within her believed him.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Hello everyone! Just another thank you for your kind words. You are all very supportive and I love that. It keeps me going.

Chapter 4:

Liz fought the pull of morning, as she turned over in bed, pulling the covers higher. She heard the rustling around in her room, and kept her lids pulled down tight. She wanted to sleep, because the headache that was threatening to explode her temples would only worsen the minute she opened her eyes.

“Liz? You up?” Maria’s voice rang, far too chirpy.

“Go away.” Liz mumbled through her sheets, as she felt the bed dip and Maria sit beside her.

“What’s up babe? You sick or something?”

“I had a long night.”

“How is that?” Liz finally opened her eyes slowly, letting them adjust to the light. She turned onto her back, looking up at her ceiling. Her mind was still swirling with images, images that had haunted her dreams all night.

“Long story.”

“I have time.” Maria smiled and handed her a cup of tea. She smiled in return, unable to resist the promise of warmth. How was she supposed to explain what happened? And how was she going to do so, without convincing Maria, and herself, that she wasn’t insane?

“Maria, do you believe in soulmates?” She watched as her friend thought carefully about the question.

“Well, Liz, you know that I think all men are bastards, due to the nature of my own family dynamics. But… my little heart still wants to believe that there is someone out there meant for everyone. I just… haven’t found him yet.”

Liz’s mind drifted to an image of a man and Maria, and she felt a pang of guilt. She didn’t know him, and yet, she knew somehow, he was important. Was Maria lost without her love as well? Lost the way she was?

“What if I told you that I think I met mine? But, he has a few… screws loose.”

“Are we talking about this Max guy?”

“Maybe.” Liz took a sip of her tea, and looked at Maria through her lashes. Maria was eyeing her carefully, trying to think carefully of her next words.

“Well… if that’s was how you really feel. I guess I would be happy for you. But, I mean, you just met him.”

“I think that’s the way it’s supposed to work with soulmates. I mean, according to that book you lent me, two souls that knew each other in another time would recognize each other instantly.”

“Wow, you actually read it.” Maria snickered as Liz reached over and grabbed the book. She made sure to hit Maria with it too.

“Listen to me. Ok? I can buy into soulmates, I can buy into living more than once, and I can buy into love that lasts forever. After all, God works in mysterious ways. But… what I cannot buy into is the idea that there is some way to travel through these times, through different dimensions even, in search for a love that never was. What I cannot believe is that this would be possible, despite our advancements in science, despite anything!”

“Liz, what are you talking about?”

“Do you believe in aliens?” She blurted out suddenly, watching as Maria’s eyebrow went up in question.

“Umm… well, I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. I guess I do. It’s pretty presumptuous to think we’re the only things alive in this huge universe.”

Liz got up from bed, and headed toward her dresser as she listened to Maria. My God, when did Maria start spouting philosophies on love and life? What was happening to her world?

“Liz, are you alright? You don’t look so good.”

“I think I need to freshen up. I’m going to jump in the shower.” She grabbed her towel and her clothes and headed toward the bathroom, as she heard Maria get up from the bed.

“Hey, if something’s bothering you, you know I’m here right?” Liz stopped, as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. For a moment, it was as if she didn’t recognize her own face. Why did she suddenly have this incredibly empty feeling? Like something so incredibly important was eluding her and she was lost in a darkness she could not see?

“I know. Don’t mind me; I’m just losing my mind Maria.” Liz came out back into her room and stopped when she noticed Maria was gone. And instead, Max sat on the edge of her bed, his golden eyes looking up at her earnestly.

“What… how did you get in here?”

“We have to talk.”

“There’s nothing left to talk about!” She headed toward back into the bathroom, but she felt him hot on her trail, and as she tried to close the door, he pushed it open, his face looking at her sadly, and a soft plea evident in his eyes.

“Liz, the reason you’re so angry at me is because you believe me, and you feel, for some unknown reason, that you shouldn’t.”

“I couldn’t possibly believe you, because everything you told me was a lie!”

“You saw it with your own eyes Liz.”

“I don’t know what I saw. It was late and I was tired.” She reasoned quickly, wishing she could control the violent thump of her heart. It was impossible to fight this man when everything she desired stood before her, tempting her with every look. His eyes seemed to devour her sometimes, and she felt like a beautiful painting, that was being admired by private eyes.

“And if I showed you again?” She froze suddenly, as she felt a shiver at his proposal. Would he connect with her again? Send her a rush of images of ignited passion? Being in his soul was a dangerous thing. She wasn’t sure she could survive a second visit.

“What are you trying to prove Max? That you’re an alien? You’ve proved it.” She tried keeping her composure, keeping her eyes on his, and keeping her hands from shaking. But the truth was, she was an absolute wreck, and having him standing so near, with that look in his eyes was only making things worse.

“You’re not convinced. You think I’m crazy.”

“Well, you have to admit, it is a bit outlandish, wouldn’t you say?” Suddenly, the water behind her was on, hitting hard against the porcelain bathtub. She turned her head, startled by the sound, and walked over slowly. She looked down, and watched as the bathtub began to fill.

She felt Max behind her, too close, as she looked slightly over her shoulder to catch a glimpse of him.

He walked past her, and sat at the edge of the tub, his hand moving past the flowing water. He let his fingers dip into the water. She watched as the water began to take on a dark, murky look. Her eyes widened, knowing very well that what he was doing was beyond belief. The water thickened, and was a creamy brown color, as it flowed in thick waves.

“Taste it.” Max startled her, as she looked up at him, taking her eyes away from the water. She walked forward, leaning down as she dipped her fingers into the tub. She knew even before putting them into her mouth what he’d done.

“Chocolate.” She said softly, as she turned her astonished face back toward him.

“I think you mentioned once that you really liked that book. Like Water for Chocolate. You once said you’d found it incredibly romantic.”

“I’ve read it six times.” She said through a strangled breath. He stood up from his seat on the tub and stood before her. Her eyes widened as she looked up at his chiseled features. She tried to calm her ragged breath, but she felt as though her heart were in her throat.

“Liz, the reason I’m telling you all this is because… well, I need your help.”

“My help? What could I possibly do?”

“Something has gone horribly wrong in our timeline, and I was given another chance to fix it. In a sense, I was taken back in time and then thrown forward, into a completely different future. This one.”

She wrinkled her eyebrows in confused thought. She followed him… sort of.

“But in this one, you and I never met, we never fell in love, we never experienced everything necessary to bring about our unbreakable union. So now, the only way to do that, is to go back again.”

“Isn’t it dangerous, to be meddling in our futures so many countless times?”

“Not if I was granted exclusive permission. Which I was.”

“So, what is going back going to accomplish? I mean, what if we don’t meet up and fall in love again? Going back doesn’t guarantee that things will turn out right in the next lifetime.” She stopped, suddenly listening to her words. “Oh God, I suddenly had the feeling that I was going crazy.”

“Liz, this is real. Just touch me, and you know it’s real.” As tempting as the offer seemed, she nodded, and simply let the opportunity pass.

“If you traveled to this time on your own, why do you need my help to go back again?”

Max stared at her, his eyes betraying his next words. She felt her chest tighten. What he was about to say wasn’t going to be good.

“I can’t go back again.” They stood in silence for a few moments, as she took in the meaning of his words. “I need you to help me by going back Liz.”

She struggled to find words. And when she finally did, she hated the tight sound of her voice.

“So, when you say go back, you mean what? Help me out here Max, I don’t completely understand. You mean, I have to go back to being a child? Live life all over again? What?”

“It’s a little more complicated than that.”

“Ok.” She said carefully. He took a deep breath and looked down, as if trying to find the right words. When he looked up again, the look on his face scared her.

“You would have to go back over 50 years. And… you wouldn’t be coming back here.”

“Then… where?”

“You’d have to go back to my planet, Antar, to save the royal family from the slaughter of the rebellion.”

It took all her strength not to pass out.

<center>***</center>

Max watched her expression carefully. He’d just released a bombshell and he wasn’t sure that she was prepared for it. But time was quickly running out for him. He had to get her to agree before it was too late and he was stuck in this time forever.

“Liz, are you ok?”

“I think I need to sit down.” She said, as she walked out of the bathroom and toward her bed, and she sat on the edge, with her face in her hands.

“I know this is a lot to take in.”

“That is an understatement.” She muffled through her hands.

“I wouldn’t be asking this of you if I didn’t think you could do it. But, I know you and I know you’re strong. You just have to trust me Liz. You have to have faith in us.”

“But I… I don’t even remember ‘us’ and I just… I mean, time travel, planetary travel, it all goes above and beyond what is supposed to happen!”

He smiled at her, as her scientific mind tried to process all of his information. It was almost comforting in a way, to know that Liz was still Liz, despite it all.

“The memories are within you, it just took some help to get you to remember them.”

“Max, I know what you’re asking of me but….”

“Before you say no, think of what I’m asking. This is not just about me Liz. You know that you feel it too, this connection. And it’s not complete here. If you go back, maybe we can make it right. And I can finally hold you in my arms again, the way I want to hold you.”

He watched as she looked up, letting her hands stay at the sides of her face from where they’d been on her forehead. He could tell she had a headache, and he was surprised she hadn’t kicked him out already. She seemed surprised at his words. He wondered if he’d crossed the line. But, he couldn’t help it. It was exactly how he felt.

“Even if I wanted to do this Max, I can’t. My family, my parents, Maria. I couldn’t just leave them behind.”

“I promise that you’ll see them again Liz. I’ll bring you back to them.”

“You can’t promise me that.”

“You have to trust me.”

“I’m not sure I’m ready.” She stood up, and he walked toward her. He knew she wasn’t quite ready to hear it all. He should have waited. But, there was no taking it back. Now, he simply had to find a way to calm her down.

“Liz, there’s nothing for you to worry about.” He wrapped his arm around her. “It’s not something you have to think about right now.” She looked at him cautiously. He would convince her, not today, but soon. And when he did, she would save them all.

<center>***</center>

Liz turned to look into his eyes as he held her.

“It’s not something you have to think about right now.” Right, because the fact that he just told her she was going to have to go to another planet and or back in time was something she was simply going to forget.

“I’m not sure how I feel about all of this.”

“I understand.” He said softly, as she examined his face carefully. What was he thinking? What was he feeling? She knew there was an air of disappointment lingering within him.

“Max, if this is true… and we’re really meant to be together, but we’re not, how am I going to be able to change that? When time and destiny itself hasn’t cooperated? I just, don’t understand what I could do.”

“You can make things right again. Merge the two timelines back to only one. When you set the course that is right, the prophecy will be fulfilled, and the curse that has me existing between times will be broken. Things will be right again Liz. And, you will feel at home.”

She knew he was right. Because she had never been able to find that sense of home, anywhere she went. And now, standing in her room with him beside her, she felt it more strongly than she ever had before.

“I brought you something.” He said suddenly, startling her. He reached into his jacket, which was lying on the bed, and pulled something out of its pocket. He handed it to her, as she looked down at the small book.

“What is it?” She asked, opening it with a curious glance.

“Something from what we were.” He whispered as she looked up to catch the expression in his eyes. Her entire body felt as if it heated several degrees. It was as if he adored her with his eyes, and it made her feel beautiful in ways she never had. This was ridiculous, she thought. She was acting like a love-sick teenager. But, she couldn’t help the way he made her heart race.

“I’m going to give you some time alone.” He said softly, and then he stepped out the window and onto the balcony. She stood frozen in place for a few moments, still feeling his presence strongly. She opened the book slowly as she sat on the edge of her bed.

Her fingers traced the cursive words that were written across the page. Her eyes followed each word, each line as if it were a treasure revealing itself.

In her own handwriting, she saw the words that suddenly solidified all of his words.

It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.

She felt something stir within her. She knew it would be a struggle. Because part of her wanted desperately to help him, to partake of the amazing love she read throughout the pages of a journal that was hers and yet she’d never written. But another part told her that it was insanity; even considering making that kind of a sacrifice for something she could barely remember was ludicrous. So, she let the voices argue within her, as she continued to read the pages, awed by the love affair that she had once experienced, and which she was suddenly very eager to explore.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Hey everyone, new chapter! Just to clarify a few things. One, yes, the other timeline was stopped at Departure. And in this timeline, the aliens never landed. Now, this timeline is what WOULD have been. There is everyone in Roswell who is non-alien related. Maria, Alex, Kyle, Jim, etc etc. But, the focus is on Max and Liz, and Maria makes a strong appearance. So does someone else, in this chapter. :) ENJOY, and thanks again for reading.

Chapter 5:

Liz put her feet up on the chair opposite her, taking in the scents of the burning candles and incense. There was a pretty guitar instrumental playing in the background. She smiled, amazed at the calm she always experienced in Amy DeLuca’s store.

Maria sat across from her, taking a sip of her Ginger Peach tea.

“So, what do you think?” Liz asked carefully, taking a sip of her own cup of French Vanilla.

“Well, it certainly sounds like things you’d say. There is no doubt this is yours Liz.”

“But, I didn’t write it.”

“Not you… you, but you know, you.”

“What?”

“What are you ladies talking about?” Amy asked as she sat down, with a cup of tea of her own. Liz took in the scent of the rising steam. Raspberry.

“Just talking, I guess.” Liz said, as she sighed loudly. How was she going to get any answers? Where would she begin to look for information? Alternate timelines weren’t exactly something that had a lot of information written about them.

“About what?”

“Liz’s spiritual experience.” Maria said with a smirk as she took another sip of her tea.

“Is this about that guy who you think is your soulmate?” Amy said as Liz almost choked on her tea.

“Maria! Thanks a lot. And yes… his name is Max Evans.”

“Ahh, Max. What seems to be the problem?”

“It’s just… I… I’m not sure I really believe in this.” She put down her drink and tightened her ponytail in a nervous gesture.

“What exactly are you expected to believe?”

“This whole concept that there’s a man who is claiming to be my long lost love, not from this time dimension but from another, where we lived an incredible life of excitement and passion! I mean, I was a science major in college. I studied physics, biology, astronomy and it’s just difficult to accept that all of these things I learned are now suddenly irrelevant!” Liz stated with a huff, and then sat back exhausted. She watched as Maria and Amy exchanged amused looks.

“Sweetie, there is much more to life than what we read or learn from books. Much more than what we can see and touch. What you’re experiencing is… once in a lifetime. You should be happy.”

“Happy? How can I be happy when I’m beginning to wish that I lived in the timeline he speaks of, rather than my own? I’m losing touch with reality here Ms. DeLuca.”

“Liz, babe, maybe you’re not losing touch at all. Maybe you’re just beginning to live.”

The three sat in silence for a moment, and then Liz finally leaned in close, her eyes wrinkled in frustrated confusion.

“So, you both believe that it’s possible for me to have lived another life?”

“Why not? It sure would explain a lot. Déjà vu, for one, could simply be the brain remembering something from long ago. And how some people just strike you as familiar, even though you know, you’ve never met them before. Liz, anything is possible.”

“And, if I believe him?”

There was a soft silence and Maria looked up and smiled.

“Then, you’ll live happily ever after.”

Liz sat, letting Maria’s words run through her head. Happily ever after was at her fingertips. Would she push away the chance at happiness? Max himself had said that they were being granted permission. Perhaps, there was a higher power working on their side. Perhaps happily ever after was only just a lifetime away.

<center>***</center>

Max walked by the Evans’ house, slowing down significantly as he passed the window. The curiosity about how his parents were doing had overwhelmed him, and finally, he had decided to just walk by. The memories of growing up in that house plagued him, and a sudden sadness came upon him. For so long he had taken his human life for granted. Now, so far away from what it was, he felt the pure emptiness of being alone. Truly alone. No parents, no Isabel, no Michael. And now, what was really beginning to scare him, was the prospect of no Liz.

He passed the Parker’s café and looked in at the good sized lunch crowd. The CrashDown, he thought to himself, was the one place that connected him and Liz. It was the center of their karmic connection. It was the place he would be able to remind her of their magic.

He walked toward the back, and stood beneath her balcony. Would she be there? He closed his eyes, but didn’t feel her presence. It was strange, how his body could sense her nearness. He climbed up the ladder and climbed over onto the balcony. He stood for a moment, simply letting the memories flood him. So many moments on that balcony, both good and bad. He pulled the flower out of his pocket and sat on the lounge chair, as he wrote the note.

I give you the Amaranth, a symbol of our love. It is eternally beautiful, eternally young, eternally loving, eternally yours. ~ Max

He looked down at the sparkling pink flower. It had been a gift from the prophetess, which he was to use as a bargaining chip. If he was going to convince Liz of how important she was to this mission, he would have to remind her what she was losing.

By the time he made it back to the desert, he was feeling weary. He was afraid he would be disappearing again soon. The resources it was taking to keep him around were many, and luckily, the prophetess had managed to acquire them, despite it all. He sat at the opening of the cave, the place that had once held the pods which birthed Michael, Isabel, him… and Tess. The very mention of her name made him shiver. The woman was pure selfishness. Always had been.

He felt the stirring of the wind and stepped within the cave. She was coming. He closed his eyes and waited in the darkening cave, as the desert sun continued its slow stride into the horizon.

Tusimos neconti eris ferzanny.” The voice said as it got stronger within the cave. Max looked up to see the glowing figure before him, a pleased smile on her face.

“Yes, it is much stronger. I think she is finally beginning to remember.”

“You are to bring her back, and she is to fall in love with the great King Zan, and that love will save you all.”

“And, what of our life on Earth?” Max asked, with genuine curiosity, since the images of his days longing for Liz Parker were still very vivid in his mind.

“It will resume again.”

“How, if she is to save us?”

“It will not be a physical accomplishment, but more, a spiritual one, as two souls meet once again, and bond to each other for all eternity.” All eternity. He had to admit, it was a romantic notion.

“What should I give her as instructions?”

“You must not say too much, for part of the test is to let her follow her own heart, which will willingly bring her to her love. All she must know is that at her return, she must gain King Zan’s trust, at all costs. And see to it that she meet with Larek and Seranite, for she will prove to be the brain behind your salvation.” The two sat in silence in the caves, as Max thought carefully about her words.

“What if this does not work? What will happen to me?”

The woman smiled again, a soft, tender smile directed at him. She was a picture of beauty with her long flowing hair that sparkled like billions of stars. Her presence alone lit the entire cave, even in the quickly approaching darkness outside.

“You will succeed, because love leaves no room for error. Avana ruined your bond by taking advantage of you in a weakened state. You lost faith in your love and those doubts allowed for her to leap in and break you. Liz’s strong desire to go back resulted in the alternate timeline, a timeline where you do not even exist.”

He felt a sting at her words. Liz herself had created the alternate timeline, a place where she lived a safe, normal life. A life with her friends and family, and with no Max Evans. A place where he was not allowed to break her heart.

“Are we still living the other timeline?” He asked confused, unsure of how it all worked.

“No. That one is on hold, because I have sent you here. To convince Liz that falling in love is worth it, despite it all. Now, you must not fail, agudenessa. For we do not have enough resources to spiral again.”

“Again?”

“This is your third attempt.” Max’s eyes grew wide at her words. Was it possible?

“Third? What happened?”

“In the first, you failed to arrive at the CrashDown in time. Liz Parker died. In the second, you both fell in love and got married, but to our dismay, the timing was not right, and it brought on the end of the world. Obviously, we attempted a third… and you allowed yourself to be sucked in by Avana, or Tess as you call her. I managed to freeze it, but I am quickly becoming exhausted. It will not last long. Now, it will cease to exist when she goes back. A new future will write itself. Now, this place is your last option. You cannot fail.”

“I cannot fail.” He repeated, understanding the severity of her message.

Beguden serlutec.” She said softly, as she vanished, leaving behind another pink and sterling flower. “Good luck.” And with that she vanished into the night air, her body evaporating into glitter that was then spread across the now darkened night sky.

“Remember me Liz. And, help me love you once again.” He whispered into the dark night.

<center>***</center>

You have to look at me.

Liz looked up suddenly, from her seat in the booth. Her eyes drifted to the corner of her parents’ restaurant. The voice had been so strong, as if he had been right beside her, whispering those words. She looked around for a moment, and let her eyes drift back down to her book. She was still carefully reading the journal, dissecting every thought, every feeling which she was suddenly feeling very deeply.

You broke the bottle and you fell.

Her eyes drifted up again, at the sound of his voice. Suddenly, an image of feet lying in the corner caught her eye, as she watched him lean above her. She felt a sudden tightness in her chest, as she felt the burn within her body. Her hand reached down instinctively to her stomach. She let it linger, as she looked down. An image of a silver handprint appeared and then disappeared.

“I’m going crazy.” She whispered softly as she closed the journal. She had simply done too much reading. She was sure of it. But, the lingering feeling of heat on her stomach would not leave. She knew, part of him still lingered somewhere in her mind.

She walked toward the soda machine, and served herself some Cherry Coke, ready to head upstairs. She reached the backdoor and looked over at the corner, as if checking to see one last time that what she’d felt was real.

Now my life is in your hands.

He whispered as if in response to her doubts. She felt a thick heaviness in her gut. An awful feeling of guilt that overwhelmed her. She had to save him. But, what did that mean for her? Could she simply leave her life behind? It might not have been a great life, but she had worked very hard to get it where it was. Besides, she wasn’t sure she could simply disappear and explain it to her parents. They were very protective of her.

She headed upstairs to her room, and closed the door behind her, grateful to be in her private sanctuary. She placed her drink on her dresser and the book beside it, as she climbed through her window, to enjoy the night air. She looked up, noticing the v-constellation in the sky.

“Venus.” She said to herself, remembering her first encounter with him. It felt like a lifetime ago. Had it really only been three days? She looked down, catching the sparkle of something on the chair.

She picked up the flower carefully, awed by its dazzling beauty. It was like nothing she’d ever seen before, the way it seemed to sparkle with the very light of the moon. Beside it was a note.

She sat down, taking the note into her hands. She didn’t even have to read it, to know who it was from.

I give you the Amaranth, a symbol of our love. It is eternally beautiful, eternally young, eternally loving, eternally yours. ~ Max

She looked down, amazed by how the flower seemed to strike something very familiar within her.

“I see you received my gift.” She heard behind her, as she turned, suddenly startled.

“You really have to stop doing that.” She said, holding the flower against her heart.

“I came to see how you were feeling, now that you’ve had a chance to… think things through.”

She looked at him, as she watched his amber eyes sparkle in the darkness. He was strikingly handsome; more so than the last time she saw him, if that were at all possible. His long hair fell straight to his shoulders, but brushed neatly back, against his clean face.

“I believe you.” She said, knowing that somehow, that meant a lot to him.

He smiled slightly, and took her hand as he led her into the room.

“Liz, I want you to know that I once allowed myself to lose faith in us, in what we shared. It was the darkest time of my life.” He turned to her, as she stared at him with open eyes. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of that. She knew they had rocky times, she had read it in the journal. But still, something told her she would have looked past anything this man would have done. And, she would have done so willingly.

“We all make mistakes.” She said simply, hoping to soothe him.

“Yes, we do. I cannot afford to make another. This mission, it is very important. Not just because it means our lives Liz, our happiness, but because it is our last chance at both. If we fail at this… we won’t have another chance.”

Something about the tone of his voice frightened her. She could read the urgency in his body language, in the proximity of his body to hers. But, what frightened her the most, was the look of pure agony in his eyes.

“What is it that I am supposed to do?”

“At going back, you will erase the current timelines, and you will set forward a new way of life. One where we can be together again.”

“If we were meant to be together so many times before, then why has it failed?”

“Love does its best… but it is not perfect. There is only so much it can do.” He said with a smile.

“What if the other version of you does not fall in love with me?” She said, feeling ridiculous. It was strange, how the thought of that terrified her. She looked up, afraid to see his expression. Instead, she was faced with him head on, his body against hers, and his face near enough to hers that she could feel his breath against her face.

“I don’t see how he couldn’t. You’re everything I’ve ever wanted.”

“But, he isn’t you.” She managed to breathe out carefully.

“He is a part of me. I know that none of me could ever resist you.” His hand traveled up her arm, as his phantom touch sent shivers through her skin.

“How do I get back once my work is done?”

“Things will work themselves out.” He said, as both his hands reached her face.

“I have to have something a bit more solid than that.”

“You’re just going to have to have a little bit of faith in what magic our love can do.” She felt her insides turn upside down, not understanding the effect he had on her. So many years she had searched for a man to awaken her innermost desires. Now, he was the only one who had ever come close.

“Max, I want to. But, at least tell me you have a plan.” She looked into his eyes, pleading. But all she saw was frustration.

“I can’t say that I know much of how this will end. Because, I don’t.” He turned away from her suddenly, as his hands left her, leaving a breeze of cold air behind.

“Then maybe we should wait. I mean… maybe until a time when we can both go back together. There has to be a way….”

He turned back toward her, his eyes burning into hers.

“There isn’t any time.”

“But we’ve waited this long, I’m sure waiting a little longer….”

“Liz, do you trust me?” She stopped suddenly, startled by his question. The look in his eyes pleaded with her, with everything he owned, he pleaded and she felt compelled to say yes. She didn’t know why, but deep within her, she knew she could trust him with her very life.

“Yes.” She finally managed.

“Then know this… this will work. It has to.”

Liz felt a panic begin to rise within her stomach. There was a look in his eyes that was dangerous. He was a man on a mission, and it didn’t seem that anything was going to sway him.

“Liz, you have to trust me.” She felt his arm wrap around her waist. No, not yet, she thought to herself. Not yet. “It’ll work, I promise. Then… we’ll all be back where we belong.”

And with those words, she knew. She looked at him carefully, hoping that what she felt was wrong. But his eyes were betraying his thoughts.

“Don’t. Don’t you dare Max Evans. Do not do what you are thinking.”

“It’s the only way Liz.” He said with a hint of apology. And suddenly, it was as if the room were disappearing around her. There was a bright glow above them and she could have sworn she saw the image of a beautiful woman smiling before they were sent flying through time and space.

Just have faith. She heard, like the sound of the whispering wind against her ear.

With that, she felt her will break, and she closed her eyes tightly, as she was engulfed in the darkness, held by the strong hands that seemed to become more and more phantom with each passing second.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Hello everyone! Just a note to let you all know that this is perhaps my very favorite chapter. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :) And again, thank you all for reading. *hugs*

Chapter 6:

The sound of rushing footsteps filled the hallway, as Zan headed toward his ship. He stopped, looking at his reflection in the polished glass. His hair was a wild mass, and his eyes still expressed the mixture of anger, frustration and lust he was feeling. His entire body was buzzing and he could feel the heat rising off his skin. He didn’t know what he’d expected when he had gone to see Ava, but he should have known better than to think it did not have anything to do with her desperate attempts at wooing him.

Her attempts did not go unnoticed. After all, he was still a man. But it was her desperation that tugged at him, and that pushed him away time and time again. He was appreciative of women, no doubt, and as King enjoyed their company quite often. But whenever he was with Ava, the look in her eyes, the absolute expression of determination on her face, would always turn his stomach in knots. She wanted what she knew he could not give her. She was desperate for marriage, he was ready to never see her again.

He sat still as the ship made a swift departure, and they flew full speed through the empty skies. It was beyond general traffic time, and only the skyway was running, taking late night passengers to and fro throughout the kingdom.

He felt as the craft slowed, and he prepared for the landing. The scent of Ava still lingered in his clothing. Women were so full of desperation, he thought to himself. If only he’d steered clear of her.

The memory tortured him slowly; as he remembered the first night his eyes had fallen upon her. She had looked enchanting in the moonlight, standing above Damaris Rock, looking out into the ocean. They had been enjoying the annual festival, in remembrance of the great heroes of the past, and as King, he had been busy entertaining all day. They always used the plains beyond the woodlands to hold such events. The places on the outskirts of the capital still held a rustic feel, a nice change of pace from the busy city life.

He and Larek had walked away from the celebrations, wanting to enjoy some quiet conversation. And then he’d seen her. The way his body heated up, he knew for sure he had to have her. But, he had never expected a woman of such a conniving nature. He had bed women many times before, and although some were difficult, none had ever had such spirit. She was going to be queen, or so she thought, and it didn’t seem a simple no would change her mind. He would just have to be more forceful. And avoid run-ins with her, at all costs.

He got up and waited as the door opened vertically, allowing for him to exit the aircraft. He looked up at the Emerald Castle and continued to make his way in, feeling warm in the protection of the castle before him.

The large thick plutonium-steel double doors opened as he walked in, his shoes clicking against the floors.

Tusoyah Agudenessa.”

“Inneise.” He addressed his loyal servant with a smile as he continued walking toward his chambers.

Elleahun eris verinosum.” He stopped suddenly, turning to face her. Her dark black hair was graying in selective streaks. Her big blue eyes were staring at him, with that motherly expression she’d always held. Inneise had been his servant since his father was alive, and she was still a very loyal friend. But now, he looked at her expression and wasn’t sure why it made him uncomfortable. She is coming? Who was she? And, why was she coming?

“What?”

“Vilandra.”

“Right.” He stopped, unsure as to why he thought she was going to say something different. Something about her words had struck him deeply, as if reliving a half remembered dream. She is coming. He shook his head and looked up at the grand clock.

“She should have been here hours ago.”

“I am afraid her highness has not been herself lately. With your mother’s worsening ills, she has started taking to long walks in the wooded lands and private trips alone. Not having guards is dangerous for a lady of her position. You must address it.” He listened carefully as Inneise ratted off quickly in Antarian. His sister was becoming a major concern. There were times, it seemed so long ago, when they could have sat and simply spoken about whatever was bothering her. But, this was no longer the case.

Vilandra had started to go into a deep depression, one he was afraid she would not come out of. He tried talking to her, reminding her that he was her brother and that he would always be there. But, the emptiness in her eyes was frightening. And now, everyday their mother got more ill, it was as if a little piece of Vilandra died with her.

“I will speak with her. Send her to me the minute she arrives.” Zan headed toward the conservatory, unwilling to part with the night sky. The two moons, Dyn’is and E’samat were shining brightly in the sky which seemed to be covered in full array of lights. He wondered when the last time was that he had looked up at the stars. It had certainly been some time ago.

He let the scents of the bright pink amaranth blossoms consume him. They were one of the many flowers planted within the garden. But, those always drew his attention and reminded him of the mythical tales of the past. His father would tell him of the old heroes who would eat of the plant and be granted a wish. The wish would then be fulfilled eternally. The image of that powerful notion never left him, and even to that day, Zan found himself softly fingering its small petals. What could the amaranth bring him, if he dared to wish upon its mighty power?

His thoughts were interrupted by the frustrated sound of footsteps in the distance.

“You called?”

He turned and was faced with the dark eyes of his sister. Her long golden hair glistened in the moonlight as the silver streaks spilled throughout. It was worn loose, and it fell upon her shoulders, hugging her in ways he wished he could. She was so distant, so cold, and it frightened him terribly.

“Where were you?” It was more a question than a confrontation, though by the look in her eyes, no one would have known it.

“Taking a walk.”

“Alone?”

“I can very well care for myself.”

“Vilandra…”

“It is late and I am tired, could we not discuss this in the morning?”

“I want to know that you are alright.”

“Of course I’m alright, why wouldn’t I be?”

“You worry me.”

“I am just a silly girl Zan, worry about the kingdom.”

“You are not a silly girl, you are my sister.”

“As if it mattered.”

“It does!” He said, raising his voice. He reached his hand out for hers and she took a step back, pulling away.

“I… goodnight.” She stated quickly, but he noticed the sparkle in her eyes. She was going to cry.

He felt his heart shatter into pieces as she ran from him, and headed to her private chambers. He would not let her sadness defeat her. Vilandra had far too much to live for, even if she did not know it. He thought of their ill mother and his fists tightened. He hated the feeling of helplessness that came along with watching her die. And even worse, with watching his sister die along with her. He had to find a way to stop it, before Vilandra found a way to self destruct.

He headed down the darkened hallway and toward the double doors.

“Zan?” He heard and turned to face Inneise.

“I am going for a walk. I will return.” He stepped out, enjoying the refreshing cool night air. He was too worked up to remain locked within the confines of the castle. He walked slowly, enjoying the grounds, the texture of the thick grass beneath his feet. He had his hands behind his back as he kept his eyes focused on the ground.

Women seemed to be the common cause of his misery. Like Ava, who that very evening had bewitching plans for him; or Vilandra, who refused to accept his helping hand, (despite his intense desire to give it); and his mother, who was quickly leaving him when he was not ready to let her go. In fact, at his father’s passing, it had taken everything he had not to panic. Acquiring a kingdom was not something he was looking forward to, and unfortunately, the royal duties left him little time to grieve. Since then, his mother had proved a helpful source of information and support, teaching him and guiding him with patience and love.

In fact, Zan was quite proud that he had brought the Antarians into a golden age, where music and writing and sciences all abounded. It was a happy time and that helped to at least ease his mind.

He was startled by the sound of distant buzzing as he looked up. A sudden flash of light appeared before him, as if it’d come flying through the sky at unnoticeable speeds. He stepped back quickly and covered his face with his arms to shield himself from the mysterious light. Then, just as quickly as it begun, the buzzing stopped and he let his arms come down slowly to his side, as he stared at the body lying on the ground before him.

His eyes drifted back toward the heavens, seeking a ship or a craft or any sign of her having been dropped. But the only things staring back at him were the stars.

He leaned down, watching as he pushed the dark hair out of the creature’s face. He heard a soft moan and pulled back, uncertain of whether or not he could trust it. A beautiful face turned slowly toward him, with milky skin lit by the silver cast of the moons. Her dark hair fell in waves onto his fingers as he picked her up slowly. Her warmth drifted through him as the words from earlier suddenly rang through his head. She’s coming.

“Where did you come from?” He whispered softly, as he held her limp body in his arms.

She moaned again softly, and he watched her face carefully. She was in some sort of pain. He walked back toward the front doors, taking her safely in his arms. He looked around, wondering if it was some sort of clever ploy. He knew his enemies were after him, the rebellion was forming and they were using any methods possible to infiltrate the castle. He looked back down at her face, feeling a sudden wave of anger. But the minute his eyes looked down, it was as if it all washed away. He hoped she’d have a good explanation for her sudden drop from the sky. Because, he wasn’t sure he could handle knowing that she was there to betray him.

<center>***</center>

There was a heavy throbbing pain on her temple when Liz finally reached a realm of consciousness. She didn’t open her eyes, but she let her brain relax, as she tried to clear her thoughts. There was something very important she was supposed to remember. What was it?

The image of Max’s determined face flashed through her mind. The panic started to rise once again, as she felt her muscles react to the struggle.

“Max! No!”

“Shhh, you’re safe.” She tried desperately to open her eyes, feeling the heaviness of sleep still overwhelming her. She wanted to let her eyes fall upon his face, to make sure he understood that when she said no, she meant NO!

She turned toward him and forced her eyes open enough to make out her surroundings. The wall to her left was made up of glass which overlooked a beautiful city, bright with light from the morning. There was a man sitting in a seat a few feet away from where she lay on the bed, and she could feel his eyes glaring at her through messy bangs.

“Rest.” The thick voice said and she tried lifting her head, to see him more clearly. It was Max, no doubt, but there was something strange about him, something she didn’t quite recognize.

“Where am I?” She sat up quickly, grabbing her head to calm the spinning and pounding within her brain.

“You cannot move so fast, you had a bad fall.” He stood up and she watched him carefully, trying to figure out why he looked so different. His golden eyes were looking right into hers, but she was busy looking at him, trying to decipher the source of her confusion. The goatee that adorned his face made his jaw line seem strong and powerful. His hair was long and fell in untamed waves upon his face and neck. There was a rugged beauty to him that she didn’t recognize, quite different from the face that still lingered in her mind.

Then, it was as if it all began to sink in. She was no longer in her room in Roswell. Her eyes drifted toward the glass wall and out over the lively city. As she focused more carefully, she noticed that there was a steady flow of traffic, flying in midair. Her eyes widened as she turned to look at the man who was now standing only a foot or so away, looking down at her curiously.

“Oh my God! You did it.”

“I beg your pardon?”

She stood up from the bed and walked over to the windows, looking down the long expanse toward the ground.

“You did it, you brought me here! I wasn’t ready! I told you I wasn’t ready!”

“I’m sorry Miss, but I felt it was in your best interest. You didn’t seem capable of helping yourself.”

“Oh, didn’t I? I don’t think that gave you the right to bring me here, without my consent!”

“You were not going to contest me in your state; I felt it best to simply get you out of the cold night air.”

“In my state? What are you talking about? You took me from my room!”

“I’m afraid I have no idea what you speak of.”

“Oh, do not play innocent with me.” She snapped and then reached for her head to try and calm the screaming.

“I can assure you, I am in the dark about this whole situation.”

“You!” She turned suddenly, too fast for her head to handle, and had one hand on her throbbing head and the other pointing accusingly. “You kidnapped me after I told you….”

“Kidnapped you!? I see. I suppose my act of generosity means nothing to you. I could have left you out there to die you know.” He snapped with pure venom in his voice. She stopped suddenly, trying to figure out why he seemed so strange.

“No, you couldn’t have because you need me to go on this ridiculous mission for you!”

“Mission? You do realize that we only just met for the first time last night?”

“What are you…?” Her eyes widened again, and this time, she had to walk over to the bed, to sit down. It was unbelievable. “You’re not Max.”

“I am afraid not. I do not know a Max, although that name is very strange.”

“Zan.” She said, and watched as his eyes explored her carefully. She kicked herself internally. He must have thought she was insane. Absolutely insane.

“Where do you come from?” He questioned, with a tone that half resembled an accusation.

“You wouldn’t even believe me.”

“Excuse me?” He asked, obviously startled.

“Oh God… I think I’m going to be sick.”

“Do you need a nurse?” She held her stomach tightly as she began to process all of the information. Why would he simply drop her off in another time and on a foreign planet and ABANDON her?! Oh yes, that Max Evans was going to get an earful.

“I don’t understand any of this. What am I supposed to do here? How am I supposed to save you all?”

“Save us? Whatever from?”

“The massacre.” She watched as he visibly tensed before her.

“You have news about plans from the rebellion? If you do, you must speak up, doing otherwise is treason.”

“Well, you told me that there was a bloodbath, but I don’t even know when, or by who, or anything! I am simply… completely unprepared.” She reached up and rubbed her head again. It was not letting her think. The throbbing was too loud and too hard.

“I must warn you, if you are in league with the rebellion, expect no mercy from me. I do not tolerate anarchists and I will have you killed.”

“Rebellion? No, I am not with the rebellion. Any group that decides that killing the royal family is a good idea is not a group I belong to. Then again, isn’t that what happened in Britain and it helped bring about a sort of democracy…?” Liz stopped herself before going off on a tangent. She was getting as bad as Maria. She had to focus. She had to figure out what was happening. Where was Max? What had happened to her? And, why was this man staring at her so intensely?

“I am not out to get you. I am here to save you. Now, I don’t pretend to know what’s going on, but you… well, another version of you kidnapped me from my time and brought me here because it seems I am the only person who can save your family.”

He stared at her, as a small smile crept up his lips.

“I commend you, that is quite an elaborate story.”

“It isn’t a story.” She stated firmly, not liking the mocking tone of his voice.

“Miss, if you truly believe that you were kidnapped by me… or another version of me and brought here from another time, then, perhaps you hit your head harder than I thought last night.”

“It’s true! I know it sounds ridiculous. I mean, I couldn’t even believe it. But, it’s true! I’m here and now I’m going to need your help getting back home.”

“Well, just tell me where you live, and I’ll be more than glad to get you a shuttle.”

“I wish it were that simple.” She stated sadly, sighing in despair.

“It can be. All you have to do is tell me what you know about the rebellion and their plans, and I will send you on your way.”

“I don’t know their plans. That’s what I have to find out!”

“Miss, perhaps you should just lie down a while longer. You really need some rest.” He started to settle her in, as she lay back on the sheets looking up reluctantly.

“I’m not crazy.”

“Right.” He said in response. She felt her head begin to quiet down.

“You know me Zan.” She whispered, and she could see in his eyes that the words had somehow affected him.

“Since you know my name, could I perhaps get yours?”

“Elizabeth… Liz.” And with that, she was lulled into the world of sleep once again.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Well everyone, it seems real life is quickly taking over. I do have a new chapter, but production will be slow from here on in. I will try to keep the Monday updates in tact, but if for some reason I cannot, I will let you all know. Sorry about this. Between starting my own business, my illness, and just general home responsibilities, I barely have time to breathe on some days. But don't worry. I will not abandon you all... I will keep working as best I can. :) Thank you all for being so supportive and loyal.

Chapter 7:

Zan sat in the library, with its heavy velvet curtains pulled halfway, letting in enough daylight to coat the room. Despite the technological advances in architecture, the library held a rustic beauty with its antique furniture and heavy wooden shelves, which always seemed to calm him.

His legs were up on the table before him, and the book he had started lay turned over in his lap. His mind was simply elsewhere.

He thought of the strange woman lying in his bedroom. He managed to sit beside the bed all night, keeping watch, wanting to know exactly who she was and where she came from the minute she awoke. He had also been guiltily questioning the color of her eyes. He cursed himself, for being so weak. It really didn’t matter, after all, the woman was an enigma all her own.

The only honest answer he’d managed to retrieve was her name. Elizabeth. Her frantic tale rang through his mind. Perhaps, her fall had caused delusions. It was possible, if she had hit her head hard enough. Or perhaps it was more complicated than that, and she was sent by the rebellion leader, in order to distract him. Either way, he would find out what she was up to, and if she was there to trick him, she would regret ever landing on his grounds.

He closed the book and stood up, placing it back onto the shelf. He heard steps down the hallway, and then a soft knock at the doors.

“Come in.” He said, as the door slid open, and Inneise walked in.

“Sir, the lady is up. She has bathed and is in the gown that arrived. The rest of the clothing we ordered is being tailored.”

“How is it that the woman travels with no luggage?” Zan asked in frustration, releasing his pent up breath.

“I do not think she was traveling.” He turned to face Inneise, his interest peaked. He wanted to believe that. To believe that perhaps his fears were all wrong.

“Why do you say that?”

“She is very upset, your grace, and she seems greatly troubled. She said something about being left on her own, abandoned to fulfill some mission.”

“Do not tell me you believe her insane ramblings?”

“I think perhaps there is some truth to them. She might simply be afraid.”

He walked over to the long window, and stood, looking out over the city. It was alive and active, as everything moved smoothly around him. But, the room was still and quiet. Could her crazy story be true? That perhaps she comes from another time and place? It just seemed so… incredulous. He turned back over to face Inneise.

“See if she’ll speak to you. Perhaps you can get more truth out of her than I could.” She nodded and he turned back to look out the window. “Have you heard from my sister today?”

“Miss Vilandra had breakfast early and then left to spend the day with your mother.” Zan sighed, his conversation with her still fresh in his mind. She obviously didn’t want to face him today. He’d give her some time. But they would talk, perhaps that night.

“Inneise, have the chef prepare some food. Miss Elizabeth and I will be eating together in the dining hall.”

“Be easy on her sire, she might just need some time to get over the shock of being so far from her family.”

“Is that what she told you?”

“She said she was very far from home. And trust me, I know sadness when I see it, she was quite the sad little lady.”

“Alright, go fetch her. I will be in the dining hall shortly.” She nodded and walked out, leaving him alone with his thoughts. Perhaps the strange woman was stranded there, seeing as how she complained about being kidnapped. She could be in very real danger.

He felt a sudden urge of protectiveness toward Elizabeth which had him frozen in place. He didn’t even know the woman! And what was worse, he wasn’t completely sure he could even trust her!

He headed toward the door, preparing himself to face her. It bothered him that he wanted to trust her, and that he was willing to wait as long as it took until she told him the truth. He would just have to watch her carefully, to ensure that she wasn’t there to threaten his kingdom… or worse, steal his heart.

He made his way down the long hallway and to the staircase. He could hear the voices ringing upward from the dining hall and he rushed down, to see what the commotion was. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs, at the sight of his second in command. He stood with his arms crossed against his chest, his long hair reaching his shoulders in wild waves, his dark eyes looking around in frustration.

“No one knows where the king is?” He yelled as the servants continued their preparation of the table. Zan could only smile.

“Rath.” He said softly, as he watched him turn quickly at the sound of his name.

“Agudenessa.” Rath stated with a small bow.

“What are you doing here?”

“I come with news. Have I disrupted something?” Rath looked around, with a confused expression at the table settings and the aroma of food coming from the kitchen.

“No, just decided to sit and eat breakfast this morning. What did you hear?” Zan quickly went back to the subject at hand, as he leaned up against one of the tall chairs.

“The men think they know who the leader of the rebellion is. His name is Kivar, and he is traveling the system, gathering a crowd of loyal supporters. Things do not look good Zan.” He nodded as he turned to pace toward the window, directly opposite the end of the table. He turned back around, and looked at Rath, understanding.

“So, what is our move?”

“I say we send men out, to look for the leader and take him down. Without their leader, they are greatly weakened. I also think we should keep you and the castle on constant guard.”

“We do not have enough men.” Zan said with a strain in his voice.

“I am willing to stand guard here, and protect you and your family.” Rath walked over toward where Zan was standing and stood beside him as they looked out over the kingdom. “I will not allow them to ruin this. You have worked too hard, done too much, to let them win.”

“Thank you.” Zan said quietly, as he placed his hand on Rath’s shoulder.

“There is something else that I think we should speak of.” Rath turned to face him, and he felt his stomach jump as he caught the look in his dear friend’s eyes.

“Alright.” He asked carefully, wanting to sit down. He didn’t like the uncomfortable feeling that was beginning to plague him.

“Vilandra was seen with this Kivar on one of the neighboring planets. I do not know how reliable the source is, or even if what he saw was correct. However, they seemed to share a certain intimacy.” Rath’s words seemed to run dry as he finished the sentence. Zan understood what he was implying. Treason. By the hands of his very own sister.

“Are you sure of this?”

“Like I said, I do not know how certain the source was… I thought perhaps I could look into it myself.”

“I will not allow him to make a fool of this family. Do you understand me?” Zan felt his skin begin to burn with anger. How dare Kivar assume to take all that was important to him? “I will not let him take BOTH my kingdom and MY sister!”

He exploded and then turned away, as his eyes full upon the woman standing silently before them. She looked like an angel among demons, standing in her white dress which enhanced her tanned skin. Her dark hair was up and her brown eyes were wide with fear.

He mentally kicked himself, hating the expression that was on her face.

“How long were standing there?”

“I just walked in. I didn’t mean to pry….”

“Who is this?” Rath interrupted suddenly, as he stepped up from behind. Zan didn’t bother looking over, knowing very well that Rath was staring at him curiously.

“This is Elizabeth… she is visiting.”

“Visiting? I was not aware that you had visitors.”

“She happened upon the palace last night.”

“And, she’s staying here?” Rath’s eyes were wide with disbelief. Zan finally looked up, to catch the fiery blaze of anger within the dark depths.

“Yes, until I can send her back to her family.”

“You realize I am still standing here.” She interjected softly.

“She could be with the rebellion.”

“I am not, nor would I ever imagine wanting to be with the rebellion.”

“And, that’s it? You believe her?” There was a long silence as Zan weighed his options. He knew Rath was right. It was insane even considering letting the woman stay. But, one look upon her face and he was incapable of sending her away. Part of him tried to rationalize. After all, if he kept her close, he could watch her every move, and catch her at her own game. But, he felt the rush of guilt within his stomach. The truth was, that part of him couldn’t bear letting her go without a whiff of her hair, or a soft touch of her skin.

He realized then, with a sudden intensity how much he desired her. What troubled him, was how much more powerful that was than anything else he’d ever experienced.

“I am simply allowing her a place to stay for the time being. With you here, I trust that nothing will happen.” He looked at Rath and then at Elizabeth. It was both a clear warning to them both.

“Very well. I will return this evening.” And with that Rath turned and stormed out of the dining hall.

“Shall we?” Zan asked, as the food came in from the kitchen, and was settled on the table.

<center>***</center>

Liz froze, as she watched the two men talk, and could see the pure camaraderie and loyalty between them. But, she could feel the tension mounting as well. Whatever they were talking about, could not be good.

“I will not allow him to make a fool of this family. Do you understand me?” She felt a desperate feeling enter her stomach, as she could feel his anger rise. He was trying to keep his cool, trying hard to stay calm, but even just the way he tightened his fingers into fists signaled that he was quickly losing his composure. She lingered quietly, knowing very well she was intruding, but being completely unable to turn away.

“I will not let him take BOTH my kingdom and MY sister!” She jumped suddenly, startled by his outburst. He was completely different from the Max Evans who had been in her bedroom just hours before. The quiet, mysterious, and sensual man who spoke in mere whispers and whose voice was carried like secrets in the wind. This man was a king, and a forceful one, at that.

Then, he turned around, and she felt as if time froze, and their eyes met. She knew she looked like a deer caught in headlights, but she couldn’t move. It was as if her feet had melted into the ground beneath her. His face suddenly fell, and she could see how disturbed he was to see her standing behind them.

“How long were you standing there?” She debated how to answer, unsure whether or not she wanted him to know he’d heard his last outburst. She certainly did not want to get on his bad side.

“I just walked in. I didn’t mean to pry….”

“Who is this?” She was cut off suddenly by the man that had turned around beside Zan. She looked at him carefully, exploring his dark eyes and his long wavy hair. A smile slowly crept to her lips. Maria would have found him irresistible. But, Maria was very far away. The thought erased the smile and brought on a partial frown. She really needed to get home.

“This is Elizabeth… she is visiting.” Her eyes looked up suddenly, startled by the easiness with which Zan addressed her. She knew very well he did not trust her. She wondered what was prompting him to allow her to stay. She watched the man beside him raise his eyebrows in confusion.

“Visiting? I was not aware that you had visitors.”

“She happened upon the palace last night.”

“And, she’s staying here?”

“Yes, until I can send her back to her family.” She watched the interaction with interest, hating the fact that she was being discussed like some foreign object. After all, couldn’t they have the decency to talk about her when she was gone?

“You realize I am still standing here.” She managed, with a slow roll of the eyes.

“She could be with the rebellion.”

“I am not, nor would I ever imagine wanting to be with the rebellion.”

“And that’s it? You believe her?” Her eyes drifted toward Zan, as he stood, quietly contemplating his questions. Her heart was thumping violently in her chest. She needed him to believe her, because if he did not, she would be completely alone in this strange new world, and she wasn’t sure she could handle that.

His eyes fell on her and she caught an expression in his eyes she hadn’t seen before. It made her cheeks flush profusely. She reached up nervously, to fix a few strands of loose hair. He was practically devouring her with his eyes. And, she knew his strongest weapon against her was himself. If he ever figured that out, she would be in a lot of trouble.

“I am simply allowing her a place to stay for the time being. With you here, I trust that nothing will happen.” She understood the warning. His commander would be keeping watch, because he still did not trust her. But, perhaps that didn’t mean that he didn’t believe her. Perhaps, she still held some sort of chance.

“Very well. I will return this evening.” He looked at her for a moment, a strange expression in his eyes, and then turned and walked away. Liz let out a sigh of relief, thankful that the strange face off was over. She barely had energy to face Zan, she really didn’t have to explain herself to all of his commanders as well. She looked up, catching his gaze again and he pulled out a chair, as he motioned for her to sit.

“Shall we?” She nodded and sat, and watched as he went around the table, and sat in the seat opposite hers. She looked at the spread on the table, and smiled, recognizing some of the foods. There seemed to be a mixture of fruits, breads, and meats. She wasn’t sure what it would taste like, but she was simply hoping for the best.

She watched him across from her, and they sat still, looking at each other, with the food between them, as the steam rose off in slow, lazy streams.

“Who was that?” She asked, breaking the silence, not willing to have him explore her, the way he was.

“Rath, my commander and good friend. He will be staying with us for a while.” He looked down, and began to place some items on his plate. She looked down suddenly, a thought striking her.

“Did you send for him?” She asked, without thinking, realizing that she felt slightly insulted. She shouldn’t, she knew, since he did not trust her. But for some reason, it truly bothered her.

“He is an old friend, he is free to come and go as he pleases.” She started to fill her plate as well, deciding that it was best if she kept quiet. She was truly in enough trouble as it was.

They ate in silence, as she explored the strange and exotic flavors. The fruits all seemed like a strong mixture of sweet and bitter, while the breads were spicy, all carrying a hint of rosemary and cumin spices. Strange, she thought to herself. They were odd mixtures, but in some weird way, they worked quite well.

“There are dresses arriving this afternoon that have been tailored to fit you. I hope that you will take good care of them.” Zan suddenly interjected into the silence, and she looked up, as he continued to eat his food.

“Thank you.” Was all she managed to say, as she watched him eat.

“Tell me… why would you be traveling with no luggage?” His eyes suddenly looked up to meet hers. It was as if she were attacked, cornered by his question. She swallowed hard, unwilling to let him intimidate her.

“I was not traveling. I was in my home and there was a misunderstanding. I was kidnapped and I landed in your lawn.”

“But, it was I who kidnapped you?” His lips turned upward into a teasing smirk, and she bit down hard, ready to wipe the smile off his face. He was mocking her.

“Yes, it was. A version of you anyway, from the future, who by the way, is much more agreeable.” She threw in the last part for good measure and continued her food.

“Why not just tell me the truth Elizabeth, and I will be glad to send you on your way.”

“Because, you wouldn’t know where to begin. I don’t even know if you have the resources to send me home.”

“Where is it that you live?”

“Earth.”

“Earth? Is that in our star system?”

“No.”

“Well, we have some of the most advanced ships in the galaxy. I am quite sure we could get you back to wherever you are from.”

“You don’t seem to understand. I cannot go anywhere until I change what needs to be changed.”

“And, what would that be?”

“I have to save you all from the slaughter of the rebellion.” Zan stood suddenly, his chair scratching against the floor. She raised her head in bewilderment, as she stood up to meet him.

“Do not speak of things you do not know. I can guarantee you, you will pay heavily for it.”

“I am here to help you. Why can’t you believe me?” She asked, her plea sounding more desperate than she had wanted it to. She needed to get out. To get some fresh air.

She turned and reached the stairs, when she felt his hand on her arm. There was a shock of static between them. He released her quickly, looking down at her arm and then back up into her eyes. They stood that way for what seemed like countless hours, just staring into each other’s eyes. Hers full of hurt and desperation, his full of frustration and worry. They both needed things it seemed neither could give.

“What do you want me to say? You come in here, dropping from the sky, and then telling me these ridiculous stories… How am I supposed to believe you?” But, she could read what he was saying, what his eyes were saying. He wanted to believe her. But it all seemed so… farfetched.

“Just believe in me.” She whispered, as she suddenly realized how close his face was to hers. His warm breath was beating against her lips. She felt the pull, like an invisible chord that was drawing them closer and closer. She found herself wondering what it would be like to kiss this version of Max Evans, where wisps of wind wouldn’t pass her face, but instead the pure heat of his mouth against hers, the intense feeling of their connection roaring to life.

“Zan.” She heard, and suddenly, they were both turning their heads in the direction of the voice. Over by the table stood a blonde, with long wild curls and bright grey eyes. She had a smile pasted onto her face and an eyebrow raised in curiosity.

“Ava.” Zan said with a sigh as he released her arm. Liz could feel the tension growing. A flash of jealousy overcame her. Stop it, she told herself. What had she expected? That the king of a powerful planet would be wowed by the mysterious, if not slightly psychotic visitor from another time? Of course, he was involved with someone else. She swallowed the monster biting at her, and managed a smile.

“Who is this?” Ava asked through her stiff smile.

“Oh, Elizabeth… yes, she is a guest.”

“I didn’t realize that you had anyone coming to the castle during this time of year.”

“Well, she kind of dropped by unexpectedly.”

“I see.” Ava said, as her smile began to fade. She walked over, as Liz noticed her snug gown, pulled low to enhance her already very obvious cleavage.

“It’s a pleasure, Ava.” Liz watched as the gray eyes seemed to take on a dark light.

“My, how informal. You must not be from these areas.” She felt her cheeks heat up as she turned to face Zan.

“No, I’m not. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must go.” She turned to go, and stopped, a smile creeping up her lips. “Thank you for breakfast Zan.”

She noticed the steam rising from Ava, her eyes burning with pure hatred. She hated that it pleasured her so much to see her so furious. She went down the stairs and headed back toward her room.

<center>***</center>

Zan couldn’t resist the smile that formed on his face. If he hadn’t known any better, he would have said it was jealousy that shined in Elizabeth’s eyes. He turned back and watched as Ava tried regaining her composure. But, Elizabeth had affected her quite deeply.

“I came to see if perhaps we could have breakfast together. But, I see you have already eaten.” She said with an edge to her voice as she looked across the feast on the table.

“Yes, I’m afraid I have.”

“Well, perhaps we could go for a walk in the woods.” She slithered, her voice like sweet poison to his ears. Her whispers were dangerous, and he felt the hair on his arms rise as she continued her seduction attempts.

“I’m afraid I will be occupied today.” She stood up straight, removing her body from against his, leaving a breeze of much needed cool air between them.

“I thought you said you were not going to be lured into commitment.” She spit out, anger now shining through her eyes.

“I am not.”

“Then, why is she here? I have never known you to allow your lovers to stay at your compound!”

“Whether or not she is my lover is no concern of yours.” Zan said with finality and turned to head down the stairs. He could not believe how reckless Ava was acting. She was usually much less obvious about her jealousy.

“You will not make a fool of me, Zan!” She yelled out behind him, as he continued down the steps. “I gave myself to you completely!”

Zan stopped midstep, and turned to look up, at the red, angry face of his old lover. He smiled, unwilling to let her see the anger building within him.

“I would watch my tongue if I were you Ava, because I will not stand for insubordination. Now calm yourself, or you will need no help of mine in looking like a fool.”

With that he went down the remaining steps, as he heard her angry words disappearing softly behind him. Hopefully, it was the last he’d see of Ava. Now, his focus was on where Elizabeth had gone. Because he was ready to sit, and listen to all she had to say.
Last edited by roswellianprincess16 on Mon May 16, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Hello everyone. I'm a little late with this today, but I'm just glad I got it up at all. Unfortunately, this is the last chapter I have written, so now, I really don't know if I'll be able to post so regularly each week. But I promise I'll try! Either way, this chapter will answer many more questions, and give insight into just what Liz will have to do. PLUS, there's an added bonus. ;-) Thanks soooo much to all of you who are reading. It means a lot to me.

Chapter 8:

Liz stood in the glass covered extension and looked around, admiring the array of blossoms of different colors. The smells were a mixture of sweet and floral that seemed to surround her like a warm blanket, making her feel cozy and safe. She smiled as she reached down and looked at the dark pink flower with the silver trimmings.

“The amaranth. For some reason, I’m not surprised that you were drawn to that flower.”

She jumped slightly, startled by the voice behind her. She turned and watched as Zan walked toward her, and took his stance, about 3 feet away.

“They’re beautiful.” She said in response, as she touched the flowers’ petals softly, remembering the flower with the note, which was most likely still lying on her bed at home. How had Max gotten a hold of the flower?

“Yes, beautiful.” He whispered, as he stepped in closer, bridging the gap between them. She turned, facing him, and trying to calm her uneven breathing. There was something happening between them, in this surreal garden, with the orange sky shining above them. Something she could not explain but that she felt very deeply.

“I want you to know that I will not let you entice me into lying. I’ve told you the truth.” Liz said quickly, standing up straight against the table. But he continued before her, his breath warm against her face. His eyes were burning into hers, making no apologies for his demands.

“My kingdom is mine, and I will not allow anyone to take what I’ve worked so hard to create.”

“I am not with the rebellion.”

“Then, why are you here?”

“To save you…”

“From the slaughter of the rebellion, right, you’ve said that. Now, I want you to look into my eyes and tell me why you’re really here.”

Liz swallowed hard, tightening her jaw. Would he ever believe her?

“You know why I’m here.” She finished, and turned her head to look over at the flowers beside them. She knew he was still staring at her. She could feel the heat of his eyes against her neck. She closed her eyes, as her fingers slid over the velvety texture of the petals.

“Be careful. Whatever it is you’re thinking might come true.” She faced him again, as the burnt orange sky seemed to glow behind him with its dark purple clouds floating softly by. At the brightest point of the day, the colors that drifted off the sky were like those of a sunset or a sunrise, as if the sky were constantly in its highest glory.

“I guess I was just wishing I could go home.” She looked around and walked toward the glass wall at the end of the garden, as her eyes settled on the buzzing metropolis below. She could feel Zan staring at her from his spot behind her. So, she wrapped her arms around her waist keeping herself safe from his critical gaze.

She heard his shoes click against the floor behind her, and then she felt his hands on her arms, as he turned her quickly around.

“What happened to you? Are you in danger?” The look of protectiveness startled her, as she felt her heart leap. Could he feel their connection? Was that what troubled him so?

“Zan…” She whispered, tempted to touch his face, to kiss the lips that seemed to beckon to her. She thought of Max and the promise his eyes always held. Her eyes drifted to the row of amaranth flowers behind them, and the words on the note Max had given her ran through her mind.

The Amaranth, the symbol of our love.

“Forget it.” She sighed and looked away from his eyes. There was no way she could explain to him what she herself didn’t understand. They were meant to be together, and she didn’t know why or how she was going to get that point across to him. She sighed again, loudly, feeling the frustration overcome her.

“I don’t pretend to understand what you’re doing here.”

“I have told you, countless times, why I’ve come. You have chosen not to believe me.”

“You cannot win me over with fantasy stories about traveling through time. That may work on children, Elizabeth, but I am not a child.”

“I am not trying to pull one over on you. You believe in oracles and prophets but not in time travel?”

She looked up into his eyes, eyes that suddenly seemed much more powerful and gripping than those of his ghostly counterpart. She could feel the heat radiating off of his very human body, and a sudden chord struck her. Max’s whispered pleas rung through her mind. Come back to me Liz.

“I believe in what I can see, and I have seen the prophecies fulfilled.”

“Then look at me Zan. I am standing before you, human proof that I come from a different time. I know that I haven’t given you reason to trust me, but I promise you, if you give me time, I’ll prove to you that I am on your side.”

They stood in silence, as he breathed in deeply. She didn’t understand what it was that drew her to him so strongly. What made her desire him with every inch of her being? He reached up, placing a strand of loose hair back, away from her face. She remembered the gesture, and closed her eyes, feeling a sense of familiarity overtake her. Then, unexpectedly his lips crashed against hers.

<center>***</center>

He had tried to fight the pull, but her eyes looked into his with such desire, that he simply could not resist her. The very moment his lips crashed onto hers, he felt a rush of emotion he had never experienced. He had been with many women, and it had always been a purely physical experience. But, something about Elizabeth seemed to hold a higher power. His heart was beating uncontrollably, and he felt like he would be willing to believe anything she said, despite how unbelievable.

His hands moved toward her face, as he tucked his fingers into her hair, and let himself enjoy the feel of her. There was a current running through his fingers, and an even stronger one burning on their lips. But, it was the sudden image that startled him. It was the image of a woman, standing outside on a dark night, looking up at the stars, and turning to face someone else. He pulled away, unsure of where the image came from. His eyes were wide, as he looked at her again, amazed at her power. The woman was bewitching. Was she a prophetess?

He examined her carefully, knowing the danger she possessed. It had been a mistake to let her affect him so deeply. He knew he had to keep his composure, if he expected to get any truth from her.

“That was a warning. I do not like to be handled. Inneise will be taking you to town. I will see you at dinner.”

And with those words, he stomped out of the conservatory, and headed toward his private chambers, unwilling to look back. He could feel his hands still shaking partially, and he slammed them against the door as he closed it behind him. What was he thinking? Kissing her was perhaps the most dangerous move he could have made! Still, the energy she emanated was flowing through his veins, as his desire peaked. There was no getting around it, he wanted her now. Despite her insane ramblings and her hard headed determination, he wanted her.

He made his way toward the wash room, as he started a hot bath. He needed to clear his mind. There was far too much happening within him. It was nothing, he knew, nothing more than a strong desire for this woman that plagued him. But, the image was still floating in his mind, and the feeling that accompanied it. It was strange, that he knew they weren’t his feelings, but her own. What he was wondering, was how he knew that?

He needed answers. After his bath, he would visit the Council. He was sure there was someone there who could tell him something.

<center>***</center>

Liz found herself standing in the middle of an empty room. She looked around at the furniture, taking in the sights for the first time all morning. The furniture was very bright, as the colors, all seemed to blend into a palette of colors reminiscent of a Picasso painting. The edges were sharp and wild, as everything seemed to blend into another shape. But, what struck her the most were the windows that covered the side of the wall, giving her a view of the city. She looked around, as she paced back and forth. She was restless, after all, she had nowhere to go and no one to talk to. This was a nightmare.

She stepped away from the window and sat on the bed. It was large, full of big comforters that seemed soft enough to be full of air and feathers. She smiled, enjoying how despite the warmth they provided, the silky material was cool against her skin. Everything about the place was so dreamlike, every feeling, every sensation was heightened by a thousand, and it all felt like living in a beautifully painted dream.

She heard a soft knock on the door, and she sat up quickly, startled by the sound.

“Come in.” She whispered softly, unsure of what else to say.

The small woman came rushing back into the room, wiping her hands against her apron. Her bangs were a pure white, despite the rest of her hair being a rich dark color.

“You are not going to stay in here all day, I presume. The palace is large and full of many activities. I trust that you will be exploring it shortly.” She spoke quickly, and her accent made it difficult to understand all of her words. Even so, Liz couldn’t help but smile at her enthusiasm. Every word she uttered was full of excitement.

“Perhaps tomorrow.” Inneise stopped in her tracks, as the humming of electricity began to form around her. Liz watched as sprits suddenly appeared and wet the window, and wipers cleaned them off, leaving them with a clean, bright glass. Just as quickly, everything returned to its normal place, leaving her in awe.

“Tomorrow? And, do what? Sit here and mourn today? Get up. Go and sit in the library. Perhaps you will find some comfort there.”

“Inneise, do you believe me?” Liz asked suddenly, feeling as though she were all alone. The woman turned around, looking at her with her bright blue eyes, as her hand traveled to her shoulder softly.

“I believe that there is a reason why you’re here. What that reason is, I do not know. But as of now, I have no reason not to trust you. Now, get yourself upstairs to reading, I have to clean this room.”

Liz smiled and headed out the door, feeling a sense of security, even if only for a moment.

<center>***</center>

Zan walked up the large steps into the old temple where the Council now resided. It was one of the oldest pieces of architecture on Antar. It still held that old world magic that he so loved about the borders of the city, where the smaller cabins hid deep within the woods.

His shoes clicked loudly against the floor and echoed against the large walls as he walked amongst the silence. He reached the middle of the temple, and walked through into the circle of light. The entire area rounded, with a ceiling of glass that brought in the sunlight. It looked holy, and quite fitting for a temple.

“Tusoyah Agudenessa.” He stopped suddenly, hearing the soft voice as it bounced off the wall. He looked around, trying to find the source. But, there was nothing.

“I came to request a meeting with the Council.” Zan said, awaiting a response. But, all he got was silence. “I need information as soon as possible. I am afraid the future of our kingdom is at risk. I need guidance.”

“She has come.”

He looked up as a beautiful figure materialized from thin air. Her long hair fell in curls and shined with a bright white glow. Her eyes looked down at him with a smile, a soft crease forming along the edges. The glow was a strange iridescent aqua.

“Who?” He asked, mesmerized by the light she emanated. She sparkled as if covered in stars, and it was all he could do to close his awed mouth.

“She fell from the sky.”

“How do you know about her?” He asked, stepping up suddenly.

“Trust your feelings. She will prove to be the one.” He looked up at her, as his stomach began to curl. It was far too easy to accept that notion, to believe her presence held some otherworldly significance. Trusting her was not an option at this point, but desiring her seemed to come with no second thoughts. And what made things worse, was that it was not simply a purely physical desire, it was a passion that burned deep within, a recognition about her body that bothered him.

“The rebellion… I really cannot afford to let anyone in.”

“She will prove to be your greatest ally.” With that, the beautiful figure disappeared, leaving a heavy darkness in the room. He stood frozen, taking in all of her words. Was it possible? Was Elizabeth the answer to his desperate prayers? If his fallen angel wasn’t the answer, he was sure that he was doomed for destruction.

<center>***</center>

Liz strolled through the long white hallway admiring the beautiful granite floors which seemed to sparkle as if sprinkled with glitter. She caught sight of a door slightly cracked and she walked over softly, leaning in to open it wider. Her eyes widened at the complete transformation she felt at entering the room. It was like being back on Earth. Whoever decorated the room got the romantic old world feeling perfectly. She closed her eyes, embracing the feeling of home. Finally, a sanctuary.

“What are you doing here?” She heard a muffled voice, and she spun on her heels, startled by the voice.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize there had been anyone in here.”

“Who are you?” The woman before her sat in a cushioned chair against the wall, with a book folder over in her lap and a napkin in her hands. Her beautiful dark eyes were watery and red and Liz felt her stomach drop. She had walked into a very private moment.

“Elizabeth. I was stranded here, and King Zan has been kind enough to allow me to stay.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, you must think I’m awfully rude.” She stood and Liz’s eyes followed her up. She was tall, beautiful, and reminiscent of a goddess. Royal blood on this planet was blessed.

“Are you alright?” She walked closer, feeling her heart go out to the young woman before her. She understood the intense sadness she saw in her eyes, if only for different reasons.

“Just upset, that’s all. Nothing to get worked up over, I’m sure.”

“Do you want to talk? Sometimes it seems easier to speak to complete strangers than to those closest to you.” The dark brown eyes looked up suddenly, as if striking a chord. The eyes that so closely resembled the king’s.

“No, but thank you. Where are you from, you seem awfully familiar.”

“I’m from a different star system. I’m pretty far from home.”

“You remind me of someone I knew.”

“Knew?”

“She was murdered. A few weeks ago, by the rebellion.” Liz felt the weight upon her chest and she took a step closer, letting her arm reach out for comfort. The dark brown eyes looked up and the sadness seemed to fade, if only for a moment.

“Who was she?”

“Her name was Atarah, she was the leader on Cycas. She has always been a good friend of our family, as are all of the leaders of the planetary system. But, she and Zan always had a special bond, one that I used to think would prove to join our planets. Unfortunately, know we will never know.”

Liz felt her ears begin to burn. Suddenly, everything she’d read in the stupid book Maria had given her came flooding back. It all made sense. Atarah was Liz’s former self and she was now dead. Now, Liz was there, ready to change the course of the past in order to assure her future. Zan and Atarah would not get the chance to fall in love. But perhaps now, Liz would prove to be his enchanted love. There was no doubt in her mind that things would work out, because it all just seemed to come together.

“Do you want to join me? I’m going for a walk in the park.”

“I’d love that.” Liz said with a smile, as they stepped out of the library and down the majestic steps.
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: Well, I managed to get some more of my writing will back! Finally. Writer's block is not something I'm very familiar with, so it hit really hard. :( Anyway, I managed to get this chpt done on time, and that was awesome! Now to work on the next one! lol

Chapter 9:

Zan stepped into the palace, feeling heavy from within. There was so much he didn’t understand. How was it possible that this woman who fell from the sky was part of a prophecy to save his life? Her very presence was enough to spin his world around, but now, it was much more complicated. Now, her being there meant that perhaps his fears about the rebellion were unfounded. The words of the prophetess rang through his ears.

She will prove to be your greatest ally.

His shoes tapped against the granite floors as he stopped in the dancing hall. He looked in, eyeing the rich walls, so in contrast with the crisp white in the hallway. The golden color seemed to bring the eye toward the shining floor, which sparkled like the night sky. The large, empty expanse seemed to hold romantic secrets, with the flowers decorating the edges and the large balcony that looked out over the city. When was the last time they’d held a dance? A sudden thought of his sister passed his mind. Perhaps that was exactly what she needed, a night to forget all her problems.

“Inneise?”

“Agudenessa! I did not expect you back so soon. Would you like some food?” The small plump woman closed the control center box and turned to walk quickly out of the room.

“No, thank you. I’m fine.”

“Something to drink perhaps?”

“No, Inneise. But, I would like you to do something for me.”

“Anything, my lord.”

“Could we perhaps arrange a gala? Something to lighten Vilandra’s mood. We can fill it with foods and wines, just as she likes. We can decorate it with fabrics of different colors and get an orchestra to play. And flowers… we can fill the room with amaranths.” He looked over at Inneise’s amused face. Yes, he admitted, it was a sudden, impulsive idea. But, perhaps it would work.

“I could get started on it right away.” She stated, as she looked at him curiously. Her eyes studied him carefully, as if questioning his motives. And part of him trembled. He knew what she saw within his eyes.

“Could we have it set for tomorrow evening?”

“As you wish, sire.”

“And make sure that Miss Elizabeth has something available to wear for the event.” He watched as a smile curled on her lips. He kicked himself internally. His feelings were showing. He knew how dangerous it was if it were to get out that he was pining over a woman, a strange woman at that. Who was also an unknown and happened to fall from the sky. And still, despite his better judgment, he could not help himself. “Speaking of Elizabeth, where is she? Is she in her room?”

“No, I sent her to the library earlier this afternoon. It is not healthy for a girl to stay locked up in small chambers.”

The sound of the front doors suddenly startled Zan, as he turned and walked out of the dancing hall and into the main foyer. His face tensed as he caught sight of his sister, with a smile on her face, standing beside Elizabeth, who had flowers in her hair. Bright orange blossoms that seemed to tease all of his senses against the dark brown of both her hair and skin.

“Vilandra?” He stated, more as a question than the statement he’d intended it to be. He was truly speechless, unsure of what the two women before him could possible have talked about.

“Zan.” Her smile slowly faded, as she stopped before him. He looked at her questioningly, and then back over at Elizabeth.

“I see the two of you have met.”

“Yes, Elizabeth was kind enough to accompany me to the park this afternoon, we managed to pick a bouquet of mother’s favorite flowers.” Zan watched her expression carefully, as she spoke of their ill mother, and for the first time saw no sign of anger in her eyes. Instead, there was a soft glimmer of understanding shining forth, and a quiet acceptance of things that could no longer be changed. He felt his heart drop to his stomach. Was this all Elizabeth’s doing?

“Thank you for the lovely afternoon. Perhaps tomorrow you can accompany me to meet my mother. I think she would love it if you told her some stories.” Zan felt his arms heat up with the sudden boil of his blood. Stories? What kind of lies was Elizabeth spreading?

“I’d love to. She seems lovely.” He watched Elizabeth’s smile, and it was like the air was hit right out of his lungs. It shouldn’t have bothered him that her smile was so genuine. But it did, because it made him desire her with every fiber in his being.

“Tomorrow we will be having a gala. I thought something small, to introduce Miss Elizabeth to others in the kingdom, would be proper.” Vilandra’s eyes lit up, and she turned to face Elizabeth with contained excitement.

“Maybe a dance is just what we both need.” She whispered. Elizabeth smiled, as if sharing in a secret joke. He wanted desperately to be a part of it.

“Well, I will go and prepare to dine with mother. Excuse me.” Zan let his eyes follow his sister out of the room and then stood in stunned silence. He could not turn his head back over quite yet, for fear of looking into her powerful eyes. He knew Elizabeth was staring, and he hated that he was weak enough to want to stare back.

“What did you say to her?” He finally managed to spit out, as he gathered himself together. He still had to be on guard. He was not sure he completely believed the prophecy from the oracle, or that this woman was not bad for his entire being.

“Not much, really. I simply listened, and offered a smile or two along the way.”

“You must have said something. My sister is not that trusting!”

“It was not trust, Zan, but just a friend that she needed. A listening ear. I provided that. And she in turn, listened as I spoke, even though I’m sure she didn’t believe a word I said.”

“Trying to poison my sister with your lies about traveling through time?” It took a moment before he realized he had pushed her into a corner, with one hand against the wall and the other softly touching the petals of the flowers that decorated her hair. She looked up at him with fierce determination, and he smiled, enjoying the challenge she posed.

“Poisoned? Is that what you think I’m trying to do?” He raised his eyebrow questioningly, leaving the mocking expression on his face. He would not allow her to see how much she truly affected him. As long as she did not know, he felt he was safe with her right under his grasp.

“Tell me Elizabeth, tell me again how you managed to fall from the skies into my arms.” He whispered seductively into her ears.

“Do NOT mock me.” She whispered in return.

“I do not mock, I simply question.”

“Who is Atarah?” The question startled him, as he pulled away slowly, making room for her to stand up tall. Images suddenly plagued his mind, as the last phone call rang through his ears.

“How do you know about her?”

“Who is she?” She pressed, and he turned away from her, not wanting to remember.

“I’m on my way. The emergency troops have been guarding the castle. I should be on Antar in a matter of hours. I will try and reach Kathana before I land. I have it under good suspicion that she’s… wait… I think.... The ship!”

The last sound he heard was a loud blast. He should have listened to Vilandra. He should have believed her when she told him about the plans for the rebellion. But, she had been so determined to hate him that he was sure her rants were more of a personal kind. He never could have imagined that her screams about him being dethroned were real.

“Was she one of your lovers?”

“One? You say it as if you presume I’ve had many.” He turned to face her once again, letting his eyes linger on hers.

“Men of your sort usually do.”

“My sort?”

“Powerful men. It’s a well known historical fact.”

“Glad to see history hasn’t changed much in your time either.” He said with a smirk and headed up the stairs, as she followed closely behind.

“Did you love her?” He froze at the top of the stairs, feeling her hot gaze against his back. He would not go down this road with her.

“Get ready for dinner.”

“You did, I know you did. And I know that one of the only reasons you haven’t thrown me out on the street is because I remind you of her.” Her words struck something deep within him. He turned slowly to look at her face. He took a step, then another, until he stood right before her.

“Do not presume to know me.” He commanded in a fierce whisper. But, his body was already heated with fury. Not because she was presumptuous, but because she was right.

<center>***</center>

Liz swallowed hard as her stomach dropped. If she didn’t know any better, she was sure it had just disappeared into the depths of her body never to be seen again. Before her stood the most beautiful man she’d ever seen, but his face was pressed together tightly, as his eyes burned into hers. She had challenged him, she knew, and stepped into very dangerous territory. But, he had been toying with her and she had allowed herself to confront him with no second thoughts. Now, she almost regretted it.

“Do not presume to know me.” He practically ordered, and she kept her eyes locked on his, as he towered over her on the stair.

“I’m sorry.” She said suddenly, and she could see from the look in his eyes it surprised him just as much. She was not one to back down, in fact, in this particular situation, she had no reason to. She was right after all. Vilandra herself had shared the secrets of Atarah’s existence, how she had gone from being what they considered an enemy to one of their most trusted allies.

When their father had died, there had been a severe uproar in the star system, and Atarah and Zan teamed up to calm the people. He stepped right up to the throne, and she was his backbone, while Vilandra was still very much in mourning. It was what she was afraid would happen again. She’d be too busy mourning her mother to care for the person who needed her. But, Liz could never tell him all that. She was yet to gain his trust enough to get into such depths, but she wanted him to know she was aware. It gave her a sense of power. Power she desperately needed, because being around him was far too overwhelming.

They stood in silence for a moment, as if gathering their thoughts.

“I did love her.” He suddenly said, as her eyes jumped up to reach his and she caught all of the pain he hid so well right in her grasp. “But, it wasn’t meant to be.”

And with that he turned, and walked up the stairs slowly, leaving her in stunned silence at the bottom. He was nearly halfway when he turned toward her, his eyebrows raised in curiosity.

“Aren’t you coming, Elizabeth?”

“Where?”

“There’s something I want to show you.” She walked quietly behind him, as his words struck her. But, it wasn’t meant to be. What if it was? What if Atarah truly was Zan’s one and only? After all, if Liz was her reincarnation, which she was beginning to believe she was, then wouldn’t that make Max her soulmate? And, wasn’t that how she ended up in this messy situation to begin with? Why did Atarah die? The thought continued to plague her as she began to wonder how that affected her mission.

They stopped in front of a room only a level up, and the double doors were wide open, revealing a circular area, gated with beautiful shining gold. She walked up to the bars fencing her in and looked down at the grand ballroom below. The golden walls seemed to blend with the granite floors. If she tuned her senses closely, it felt as though she were out amongst the very stars, standing above the worlds. Her eyes drifted upwards toward the chandeliers, made of pure shining crystals, all reflecting small rainbows against the walls. The room was just pure magic.

“Tomorrow evening we will be holding a ball. I’d be honored if you would accompany me.”

“A ball? I… I have nothing to wear.” She kicked herself internally, knowing how ridiculous that sounded. But, she was too shocked to say anything else. After all, there he stood, beside her, looking ahead, his perfect profile shaping the face she was coming to know so well, and she was drawing a blank.

“We will find you something suitable.” He said as they resorted back to silence. Finally, the tension pushed her to speak.

“I was in love too. Once, a long time ago. So long ago in fact, it was like a different life. But, what I remember in part is what it felt like, and how that feeling can only be replicated by someone who can stir your very soul.”

He turned to face her as they continued their game. It was an especially sensitive game, and every step was like waiting for the grenade beneath their feet.

“I hope you do not expect an oath of undying love Elizabeth. Women there are many of, and I do not intend to be settled.” It was a warning, a very clear one. He was afraid of where their dance would lead them. Unfortunately, she knew far too well why. It was evident in his eyes the things he was beginning to feel, the strange connection they shared since their kiss.

“That was not my attempt to woo you, your highness.” The sarcasm in her own voice startled her, and she stood up straight, thankful for her ability to keep her wits about her. “I just… I suppose I was just caught in the moment.”

With that, she turned to walk out of the room and back toward the staircase. How arrogant! It was just like Zan to slap her honesty back in her face. What was she thinking even trying to confide in him? But something in the moment had seemed so private, so open. She shouldn’t have allowed herself to get weak. After reaching the stairs, she heard his voice behind her, and she turned, her hair flying wildly behind her. He stood, as if contemplating his next move, thinking carefully about his next words.

“Your dress will arrive this evening, perhaps after supper you’d like to try it on.”

She watched his eyes carefully, knowing full well his thoughts lay elsewhere, but instead of commenting, she simply nodded and walked up the stairs and toward her chamber. She needed time alone. Time to clear her thoughts, and prepare herself for supper. Today had brought up many questions, and she was afraid of what her outcome would be in the new world. But at least she was sure of one thing, it seemed that Zan was finally beginning to let her in.

<center>***</center>

Zan stood at the entrance to the balcony of the ballroom, simply staring off at the staircase. Just moments before Elizabeth had stood there, with her hair full of orange blossoms and her eyes full of desperation. She was just as terrified if not more of whatever flowed between them. It was something far too intense, far too uncomfortable for him to grasp. He knew it was dangerous to allow himself the comforts of being so near to her, but she was intoxicating, like aged wine, and it made him just desire another taste.

He wasn’t sure what had possessed him to tell her about Atarah, especially because, it was the first time he had admitted it to himself. She was simply not spoken of, as if she had never existed. But he had loved her, in his own quiet, distant way. He only wished he could have said goodbye. It was one of the things he regretted most.

The worst of it was, he knew Elizabeth was right. She did remind him of her, desperately. The way she spoke, the flowing length of her hair, their very auras were the same, and it was like coming home again.

Now, his whole idea to bring her with him to the ball was one that worried him. In part, he could not bare the thought of her with other men, handsome and eligible men of the kingdom who would all flock to her like mad crows to a spoil. They would desire her, but only for an evening, and for the pleasure they’d derive. A sudden image of Elizabeth flashed through his mind, her cheeks flushed pink, and her hair a wild flowing mass. He shook his head, trying to control his thoughts. She was just a woman after all! More beautiful and witty than any other, but a woman none the less.

He headed toward the elevator to reach his suite. He wanted privacy. Perhaps some time alone would clarify what it was he was doing. For a moment it had all seemed so clear. But, he hadn’t forseen she’d walk in with his sister smiling and wearing blossoms in her hair. He simply wasn’t prepared for that.

Before he stepped in he heard the heavy thud of the double doors.

“Agudenessa!” Inneise’s call drove him back toward the staircase as he looked down to catch sight of Rath. A bow was exchanged and Rath ran up to meet him on the upper level.

“There is much to say.”

Zan nodded in understanding and he met him at the bottom of the stairs, as the two headed out the doors into the early evening air. They walked around the perimeters of the palace, slowly, deliberately, as Rath tried to gather his information.

“There is talk Zan, and most are saying that Kivar has established an army of rebels. I do not know how large, but if he has acquired anything akin to 1000 men then we will have the beginnings of a war on our hands.”

“I am not willing to send my country into war.”

“It is worse. It is suspected that the rebellion has the backing of some of the neighboring planets. It is part of the reason Atarah was killed, Zan. She would not join, and she was going to tell you, so they blew up her transporter.”

Zan felt the heat rising in his skin. Things were quickly spiraling out of control. He needed a plan, a defense tactic.

“If Sero and Kathana want in on the rebellion that is fine by me, we will break off all trade routes, and see how they survive without Antar.”

“I’m sorry to bring such distressing news.”

“No… thank you. It is nice to know that there is someone with whom my loyalty still lies strong. I trust you completely Rath.”

His second in command cracked a crooked smile and nodded.

“Do you wish to join us for supper this evening? I am unsure whether or not Vilandra will be there, but you can meet Miss Elizabeth. She really is a character, I think you’d find her… interesting.” Zan said with a smile as they walked back toward the castle. “Just, do me a favor. No mention of these happenings. They stay between you and I.”

“Understood.”
roswellianprincess16
Addicted Roswellian

A/N: I almost didn't make it today. :phew: But, I managed to get it up and going on time. So, here you guys go. Things start to take a little twist.

Chapter 10:

Liz looked out the large windows in her chamber. When she’d woken up, she had been in Zan’s grandiose room, and now, being in her own space was sort of freeing. She looked out toward the city at the darkening night. She could already see a trace of the moons that were beginning to glow in the sky. They were faint, like fading ink stamps, but she knew, as the reddish-orange expanse continued to darken, and the deep purple would settle, that they would glow like burning torches in the sky.

She turned away from the windows and stopped at the large floor mirror. She had stepped into the dinner gown Inneise had placed on her bed, in the rich crimson color. She loved how it felt against her body, snug and yet loose enough to give her freedom to move. She reached up and she removed one of the pins from her hair. She’d been wearing it up almost all day, and she was beginning to miss the safety of having it fall against her back. With each pin, a new bouncy curl fell until they framed her face. She couldn’t help but smile. She didn’t even look like herself anymore. Just a day ago she was looking in the mirror in the room above her parents’ new restaurant, examining her life, fixing the loose ponytail that sat atop her head, trying to make sense of why she felt so empty. Now, here she was, a whole star system away from her home, and looking like the woman she’d been trying for years to be.

The knock on the door startled her, as she turned quickly away from the mirror and sped over to open the door.

“I’m sorry Inneise, I was heading right down….”

“Elizabeth.” Her eyes drifted upward as she caught sight of his dark eyes. For a minute, it was as if she’d lost her breath, staring into those depths was like drowning in a sea of emotions. Did he know how unguarded his stare was?

“I thought you were Inneise.”

“She has the evening off. I came to see if you were ready for dinner.” She watched as his eyes explored her face and her hair.

“Yes, I am.” He reached out his arm as she slipped hers through. They walked quietly toward the staircase, and down toward the dining hall. It was ridiculous, how her stomach was fluttering uncontrollably, but being at such a close proximity was making her flesh heat quickly.

“I wanted to apologize for earlier.” He said slowly. She walked, keeping her eyes firmly on the ground as she took each careful, deliberate step.

“For what?” She said softly, feeling the heat of his stare. She was thankful that her face was partially blocked by her curls.

“My behavior was completely inappropriate. I did not intend to upset you, and if I did, for that I apologize.” She nodded, letting a small smile curl on her lips. “However….”

He stopped suddenly, turning her to face him. She looked up, stunned by the movement, as her eyes met his.

“I do not appreciate you going behind my back, trying to accumulate information on me. I do not know what my sister has told you about Atarah, but whatever it is, it is my business and I do not want to hear you discuss it again.”

She looked at him wide-eyed. The command in his voice told her two things. First, he was serious, and it was ground she would have to stay clear off for some time. But most importantly, she had reached a depth within him that made him uncomfortable.

“I understand.” She stated simply, as he turned, and they continued down the stairs. Once at the bottom, they walked slowly toward the dining hall, and stopped at the entrance. Liz froze, as she saw the man in the seat stand up and look at her with untrusting eyes.

“Oh, and I meant to tell you, Rath will be joining us for dinner this evening.”

A sudden thought passed through her head, as she imagined them questioning her until she could no longer answer their questions and then they would throw her out onto the cold streets of the strange new world.

“Elizabeth.” He said, as he bowed his head softly.

She bowed in return, suddenly feeling incredibly conscious of herself. She had to be careful with this one, because all it took was one false step in order to break his trust forever. She knew, without his trust, it would be impossible to have Zan trust her completely, because she could see the intimacy they shared. The two were very honest. She also knew that Rath already knew all there was to know about her and where she was from.

“Shall we sit?” Zan smiled as he sat at the head of the table, with Rath on one side and Liz on the other. She looked up as the sudden sound of clinking plates comes rushing in from the kitchen, with an array of foods quickly being set upon the table.

“Where did you say you were from?” Rath said, obviously bitten by curiosity. Liz looked up, her eyes meeting his quickly. She could sense his suspicion.

“Earth.”

“Earth… I think I heard a few generals talking about that planet. You’re far from home.”

“Yes, unfortunately I am.”

“Did your family have any connection to the planets in our star system? You look like a Cycadian.”

“A what?”

“Cycadian, people from Cycas. It’s a nearby planet and some members of the royal family there tend to have similar features.”

“Oh… that is rather strange.” She looked down, hoping to keep her face from blushing the bright red she knew it was. How was she supposed to explain that she was a reincarnation of the queen herself? To explain that the similarities aren’t a mere coincidence, without sounding like she was insane?

“Yes, I suppose it is.” Silence embraced them for a while, and she simply allowed herself to focus, taking in the scents and tasting every culinary delight. Everything was a strange blend of sweet and spicy, with mixtures of things that could be reminiscent to fruit flavors blending with sharp salty flavors. She smiled, as she cut up her last piece of meat, and placed it in her mouth, letting herself indulge in it. Earth food would seem so different when she returned. Her good mood started to fade at the thought of her words. If she returned….

“So, what brought you all the way out here Elizabeth?” Rath put down his utensils and looked at her head on. She looked to Zan, as if for help, but knew very well that he was just as intrigued by her answer. He had his arms crossed over his chest, and he was looking at her with a grin akin to amusement. She wanted nothing more than to slap it off of his face.

He set her up. He knew Rath would question her to no end. He wanted to catch her in a lie. To see if she would relay the same incredulous tale to someone other than himself, which meant that despite their connection, he refused to believe her. A heated anger burned within her.

“I was brought here, sort of against my will. It turns out I have information, knowledge of something that is going to happen, and I have to stop it, in order to prevent the deaths of some very important people. But more important than that, my life took a different route from what it should have. I lost my true love. I was sent here to make that all right.”

The silence was deafening. She half expected them both to break out laughing. Instead, Rath looked at Zan, and it was as if they exchanged a knowing glance.

“I’m sure you’ve heard of the rebellion.” Rath said suddenly.

“Yes, I have.”

“We believe that the leader, a man named Kivar has amassed an army. Will there be war?”

She watched in silence, unsure whether or not it was some sort of joke. What were they up to?

“I… I don’t think I understand.” She said carefully.

“Do you think that things will calm down or will they erupt into war?”

“How would I know that?”

“According to what you’ve told Zan, there’s going to be a slaughter.”

“Unless, I stop it… which I intend to do. But, I do not know if the slaughter happens during the war, or if it is what sparks it.”

“And, if we believe you?” Zan said, softly, carefully, as his arms came down and he watched her.

“Then I will fight for you… in any way I can.”

Rath smiled and nodded in response. Whatever they were looking for, it seemed they found it.

“There’s something you should know.” Zan said as Rath began to stand, pushing in the seat behind him. She looked up, wondering what was happening. Was he leaving?

They nodded again, their secret communication serving them well. Rath proceeded to walk out, as she stood up, to meet Zan.

“Zan, what’s wrong?” His eyes were frightening her, something in his stare seemed far too knowing.

“I went to see the oracle today. I believe you.” It was all he said, but that one moment seemed to change her world completely.

Zan waited outside of her room, taking in a deep breath. The sounds of people and music were already filling the air, and a part of him was terrified. Just the day before, he made the mistake of telling her he believed her. What he had been unable to say was that he trusted her, completely. Now, he had to face her again. He was afraid she would use this against him. Thoughts of Atarah had plagued him all day. Her smile, her laugh… there was far too much that Elizabeth did, it could not have been coincidence. He would put his faith in her, and pray that it would not be in vain.

The door suddenly opened and Inneise came out smiling.

“She is ready, agudenessa.”

“Thank you.” He said with a faint smile, as she nodded and walked away. He waited a few moments, and then knocked softly. The door had remained open, but this time, he stepped in. His eyes drifted past the entry hallway into the chambers, where he saw her. She stood in front of the floor length mirror, a white dress hugging her body, and wrapped in gold lace.

A sudden memory of her from that first day flashed in his mind. She had been wearing some very strange clothing. She had looked so plain in them. But this… it brought out everything that was beautiful about the woman. Her rich brown hair, her tanned skin, and her eyes, which were deeper and more luscious than anything he’d ever seen.

“You look beautiful.” He said, before he could even think. Had it really been just two days since she’d stepped into his life? He could not imagine her not being there, not existing beside him. It was at that moment that something struck him deep in the pit of his stomach. He was getting too involved. His emotions were out of control. He needed to regain some composure.

“Thank you.” She whispered, and finally turned toward him, as they headed down the stairs.

“Perhaps tonight, you can simply enjoy Antar. Home can be just a distant memory.” They reached the bottom of the stairs, and she looked up at him, causing a flutter of butterflies to attack him.

“I’d love that.” With that, they stepped into the ball room, full of different people, foods, and music.

“Elizabeth!” Zan turned, and saw his sister heading toward them, in one of her best gowns. She had a genuine smile on her face. “Zan! I’m so glad you brought her. I think that tonight will be wonderful.”

He let go of Liz’s hand for a moment, startled at his sister’s impromptu hug. She was certainly in a good mood.

“You look stunning Vilandra.”

“Thank you.” She smiled and turned for him to inspect her gown. “Inneise got it made for me.” He made a mental note to thank her.

“Have you seen the sky tonight?” His sister smiled in curiosity. “The moons are crescents.”

“It will be a romantic evening. Perhaps, I’ll find my enchanted love tonight.” She said with a smile and then he watched as she winked at Elizabeth. Was there something that he should know about? Vilandra excused herself and went back into the sea of people crowding the room. The band began to play, as couples paired off, and started their dance, and the different color dresses swirled against the floors. He watched Elizabeth’s face, so bright and full of curiosity. He could tell she was thoroughly enjoying every moment.

“Would you like to dance?” He smiled as she looked up at him and smiled in return.

They stepped out onto the floor, and he felt the current of their connection roar to life. The proximity was too much. He kept one hand against her back, and the other within her grasp. He wanted to hold her this way, to hold her even closer. What price would he pay for having her as his lover?

He was beginning to think it didn’t matter. He was willing to give up anything to be with this woman. To know the touch of her intimate soul. He looked down, admiring her beautiful face closely.

“Why do you remind of her?” He whispered, louder than he wanted.

Her eyes looked up, a hidden understanding lying deep within them.

“You remind me of someone I met briefly, back in my world. I only knew him a few days, but what I learned from him changed the way I viewed my life.”

“Did you love him?”

“Once. Long ago.”

“But, you only met him once.”

“Technically, but my soul knew him. It would have recognized him from across the very seas.” Her words struck a strange chord within him. Why didn’t he call on someone when he found her outside? Why hadn’t he let her leave? His soul recognized her as well, and he knew that it was screaming for her.

“Elizabeth…” He whispered, as he let his face linger much closer than it should have. He could see the fear in her eyes. If he took this next step, if they allowed themselves the pleasure of this moment, things would change.

“Zan, we shouldn’t. I… I have to stay focused on saving you.”

“You have saved me.” He whispered against her ear, as he pressed his cheek to hers. He could hear her heavy breathing and it was as if everything around them went away. “I want you…. I need you.” He finally finished, unable to say the words that were really threatening. The words that were far too strong for him to say. He just wasn’t ready.

“We can’t.” She whispered breathlessly, but he looked at her and smiled.

“We can.” He let his lips crash onto hers, with the desire that had been plaguing him. He would not deny himself the pleasure of having her in his arms. He desired her with every fiber of his being.

Suddenly, the sound of a speeding carrier snapped him out of his thoughts. Things happened too fast for him to react. The carrier crashed against the balcony and exploded from the speed.

“Fire!” Someone yelled out, as the crowd began to panic and find their way to safety.

“Vilandra!” He yelled out, suddenly feeling the panic rise within him.

“Where is she?” Elizabeth asked as she tried looking over the moving crowd.

“Go.”

“But, Zan…”

“GO!” He yelled, as he pushed her and headed towards the spreading flames. In the back he could see his sister, standing frozen, her eyes wide. Her mind was gone, someone was controlling her. He shook her shoulders slightly, feeling the tears forming in his eyes.

“Vilandra… come on, look at me.”

“It was him, he was here.”

“Who?”

“Kivar.” He felt his skin run cold.

“What did he say to you?”

“That he was coming for me.”

“No… no, I won’t let him hurt you.”

He was relieved when he saw Rath run in.

“Are you both ok?”

“She’s shaken up. Take her to her room. Have Inneise draw her a warm bath. Rath, do not leave her chambers. I want her watched all night. Do you understand me?”

“Yes.”

“I promise you… I won’t let him reach you again.” His sister nodded, a terrified look on her face. He tightened his fists as he watched her walk away, with Rath holding her tight.

Kivar was going to pay for this. He had finally gotten her smiling and laughing again. Zan walked up the stairs, as he looked at the mess left behind. The crowd ran out in a rush. The dancing ended just as soon as it had begun. The castle was closed off, and a secure lock down was taking place. He had the people he cared about inside with him. There was no one else he could trust.

He reached his room and stepped in, closing the door behind him. He leaned his head up against it, feeling the adrenaline begin to fall. His heart was still hammering in his chest. Why Vilandra? What did Kivar want with her? He ran his hand through his hair, trying to calm his nerves. But, his hands were shaking. It had been too much. He thought of Elizabeth. Was she alright?

“Zan? Did you get her? Is she ok?” As if on cue, she appeared, as she sat up from her spot on the edge of his bed and walked toward him in a range of fear and anger.

“She is fine. Rath is seeing to it that she not be alone tonight.”

“This was no accident.”

“I know that.” He snapped, as he watched her withdraw. There was far too much going through his mind. He really couldn’t think straight.

“I’m sorry. Things are bad enough. You don’t need me here to hassle you.” She walked toward him and he stood up to move out of her way.

“Wait.” He finally managed, as he stopped her hand in midair from pressing the door button. She turned around and he bit down hard, knowing that his fear was now completely evident. “You may not be able to save us Elizabeth.”

“No, I will…”

“Listen to me. I don’t know who sent you here or what they were thinking, but this is dangerous. There is nothing you can do here.”

“Zan, I have to do this. It’s the only way I’ll get back home.” Home. His mind began to spin. She was going back? Of course, some part of him knew that to be true, but a bigger part of him hoped her stories were all lies. That her home would be right there, with him.

“What if this miracle you speak of was meant to keep you here? To live your life here?” He watched her face carefully. He was afraid of her reaction. Afraid that she’d tell him that she never wanted to have anything to do with him or Antar again. He watched her as she walked away from him, back into his chambers, toward his wall length windows. He walked slowly behind her, watching every step, memorizing every part of her.

“Come back to me.” She whispered, and he stopped, startled by her comment.

“What?”

“Come back to me. It was what you said… what Max said. He knew… He knew that I was Atarah.” She turned around, her eyes wide with disbelief.

“I don’t understand.”

“Max knew that you would recognize me, it’s why he sent me here, with no preparation. He knew himself well enough to know, I could trust you.”

Zan’s head began to spin. It was difficult to believe her. The stories all seemed to get more elaborate with each telling. But, he could see in her eyes that there was nothing but truth.

“Let’s not think about the past.” He said, as he walked toward her, stopping right above her. “And do not fret about the future.” He reached his hand up to her hair, undoing each pin slowly, enjoying the texture within his fingers. Each piece dropped and bounced, as if coming alive with his touch.

“Zan…”

“Give me tonight.”

“No.” She said, with no conviction.

“He sent you to me because he knew that I could never resist you.” He noticed how her head looked up at him suddenly, as if triggering some sort of memory. With her hair finally all down, he let his hands rest on both sides of her face, with his fingers enjoying the touch of her hair.

“Zan, I won’t be here forever…” She stated, in between breathless replies. He teased her softly, placing kisses along her jaw, down her neck. “One day I might just disappear.”

“Shh…” He stated and kissed her hard, as he led her to his bed. He was already lost in her, already on a different plane of existence. He could already feel her soul melding into his, as her memories became his, and his heartbreak became hers. He felt the fear overwhelm him.

His father had told him this sort of experience was possible. His father had explained about certain ancient Antarian traditions. How the bonding of souls was something done long before. But after they were bonded, there was no breaking the bond, not even by death. He looked down at Elizabeth, her face pink and her hair laying sprawled across his pillows. She was the person his soul had been searching for. And with that, they reached a level of cosmic bliss he had never before experienced. He couldn’t lose her now. Because, he could never imagine what life would have been like without her.