Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 5 & 6

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 5 & 6

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Title: Unreachable
Author:POM aka lovelypom83
Beta: Drogyn--Now: Destinyc
Disclaimer: I owe nothing of Roswell or it's characters...just having some fun!
Rating:Mature
Pairing:
CC/UC<only> Max & Liz Mainly

I will post whenever I can 😉

Authors Note: I wrote this story back in 2009, under my original username POM, but I can't access that account... therefore; my second account under this name. Just want to finish my story (also, can't get a hold of a person in charge)

Summary:

After high school everyone spilt to do there own things... Liz and Maria became Registered Nurses at the local hospital in Roswell, While still helping her parents out at the crashdown from time to time, Kyle joined the Marines. and has been with Liz off and on for the past 9 yrs., Alex and Isabel eloped and got married right after high school. Alex is a Lawyer, and they live in New York. Michael also lives in New York, and is also a lawyer and works with Alex. Max and Tess have been serious since High School, Sweethearts actually. Max is a Doctor in Boston, and lives with Tess... but ten years later they all come back to the town that they abandond for there 10 year Renioun of the class of 2002. When they all come back everything turns upside down...some more than others.

*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter one: Just another Day

[Hope Memorial Hospital, Roswell New Mexico)
Liz POV

“Liz Parker, when are you gonna go out with me?”, Tom asks, and not for the first time. I look at him and I can't help but roll my eyes.

“Do we have to go through this every time we have a shift together, Tom?”, I ask. It was flattering the first fifty times he asked… now it's more annoying.

He simply nods… kind of like he did the last twenty times I turned him down. “One of these days you’re going to give in to the luring of Tom Brady... you just wait and see miss Parker...one day when you’re least expecting it...”, he says so seriously that I have to cover my mouth with my hand just to keep me from laughing out loud.

“Well, that day is definitely not today, Tom", I say with a smirk; a smirk that hides my laughs and which took me years to perfect. I suppose I can just tell him to piss off, but even though he can be annoying from time to time, he's still funny enough to keep around.

I quickly exit the room before he can come up with a new counterargument, and I head out to find Dr. Thomas. One of the patients asked specifically for him. Well, I don't have to look long, I already see him just twenty feet in front of me.

“Hey Dougie, Mrs. Johnson is asking for you. She keeps saying that you’re her favorite doctor, and she doesn't want to see anyone but you”, I tell him with another one of my famous smirks as he turned around to face me.

“I thought I asked you to stop calling me that”, he says, trying to sound serious but failing miserably as I can already see a grin form on his face. I couldn’t keep a smile off my face either.

“Yes. I remember you saying something of that sort, but doesn’t mean I will, Dougie”, I laugh as he just looks at me, and doesn’t join in. Doesn't he have any sense of humor? Well, in a way, that just makes it even funnier.

“Real mature Liz, really. How old are you again?”, he asks as he looks at me seriously again. Honestly Dougie, a smile a day keeps the wrinkles away. I just smirk at him.

“I refuse to answer that question, Dougie. Anyway, back to Mrs. Johnson… she’s been complaining of back problems. I gave her 200 grams of morphine, like dr. Sierra said, but she still wants to see you so can you do a whole exam on her to make sure she is alright?” I tried my best not to laugh.

“Okay Liz, first of all, I honest to God hope that you meant 200 milligrams of morphine… and second of all… with all the doctors here, why does she insist on seeing me? Every single time she comes in, she asks for me and refuses to cooperate with anyone else. Why on Earth is that?” He sighed as he grabbed the chart.

“Well, it seems like she has a bit of a crush on you", I giggle as he looks disgusted. He may not have a sense of humor but he's still funny.

“Liz! She’s like, 80 years old!”, he exclaimed.

“I don't know what to say", I say, "I’m telling you the truth, she even told me... but don’t tell her that I told you, she wants to play hard to get”, I say with a laugh as he started walking away to the examination room.

“You're evil, Liz...every time she comes in, you and Maria are encouraging her. It doesn't matter why she keeps coming back, you keep doing it”, he shouted out.

“Yeah, whatever Dougie”, I yell back before he steps into the elevator..

“Oh, I forgot to tell you. Maria is looking for you. She looked nervous… even more nervous than usual”, he says

“Thanks. Now you go see mrs Johnson. I’ll be back to check up on you two lovebirds shortly”, I laugh as he waved his hand at me to indicate that he doesn't think this is funny, just before the elevator doors close.

~~

“So Maria... what is on your mind today?”, I ask as I breeze into the break room. Oh great, it's one of those days again. You see, one thing you need to understand about Maria is that she tends to overreact from time to time. And seeing her nervously pacing around the room is definitely sign number one.

“Where have you been?”, she asks nervously. Did you notice the forceful attitude? That's sign number two. The third step will be her trying to act calm and finally, step four will consist of incoherent babbling. Don't tell me I don't know my best friend.

“Um...let me see...well, I think; I think I was working Maria. Something you should be doing as well", I say. I know it makes her even more nervous but I can't resist. "But really, what is the pressing emergency?”, I ask as she hands me a piece of paper.

Okay, now I start to freak out too. I have no idea why. “What is it?”, I ask her almost afraid to look at the piece of paper

“Just read it.” she says calmly. For some reason, I'm expecting the absolute worst but when my eyes quickly scan through the piece of paper, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I suddenly feel like strangling my best friend. After my dad passed away, I know I'm easy to freak out; something that's definitely not always a good thing when hanging out with Maria

“Maria, it’s an invitation.” I sigh. Is that all she was worried about?

“Not just any invitation. It’s for our ten year high school reunion!”, she exclaims loudly. I'm used to her doing that; it's almost a second nature for her to shout… my poor ears.

“Yeah… so?”, I question her. I don't get why she's being so nervous about it.

“Liz, this is the time where everyone comes back home to that crappy little town that they left behind to remember how things were, back went they were young! I’m not young anymore...I’m an old maid...trying to be young. I am aren’t I? Look at us...we are practically thirty years old and we have nothing to show for it. We’re single, we ha—“, she rambled before I cut her off mid-sentence.

“I have Kyle, remember?”, I say, shooting a fake smile at Maria as she rolled her eyes.

“Liz, I don’t think it counts if the guy isn’t with you for more than a day. Yeah... maybe you love him, but even if you do, you don’t even know if he loves you back”, she says. Did I mention I hate it when she's right?

“Maria”, I sigh heavily.

“What? I’m just saying that you should just keep your options open. Yeah, Kyle claims that he loves you. But that’s what he says now, because he’s stationed here now. But what happens when he gets sent to another state?”, she asks with a pitying look. Great! Now I'm depressed. Thanks

“I don’t know Ria”, I say sternly, looking her in the eye.

“I’m going to be picking up the pieces of your heart for the rest of your life”, she says. Did she just say that Kyle is gonna break my heart and that I'll be heartbroken for the rest of my life? What a way to kick me when I'm down.

“Then what do you suggest?”, I say, "Just tell me, Maria"

Did you ever say something that you regretted the second the word left your mouth? I do now. The second the words left my mouth, I knew I was in for it. That crooked smile on her face spoke volumes. “Maxwell Evans”, she just says

Wait a minute… did she just say… Max Evans? God, just those two words were enough to send my heart plunging into the deep blue sea. “M-Max Evans?”, I stutter and she smiled at that notion. Sometimes, I wish I wasn't so transparent.

“The one and only mr Quarterback himself”, she said with a smirk. I think I'm getting why Dougie hates it when I do that.

“Wait. I thought he was taken by that blonde girl… what's her name? Tessina Harding”, I say.

“That’s not what our good friend Whitman says”, she says and there's that smirk again. She's really loving this.

“Maria didn't I tell you to stop gossiping. It’s not good for the soul”, I laugh, trying to lighten the mood. I just receive an eye roll for that.

“Look at us Maria. We're like twenty eight years old and we are talking like we're still in high school, waiting for Mr. Seligman's class to start. It’s ridiculous”, I say.

A few seconds later, one of the doctors enters the room. “Elizabeth, dr Sierra is asking for you", he said.

“Yeah, I’m coming. Maria, I suggest you get back to work yourself before Dr. Carter comes in here and finds out that this is your secret hiding place”, I say calmly

“Like he’s ever going to find out”, she laughs off.

“He will if I tell him”, I say with a smirk. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, Liz is back in the offensive!

“Don't you dare Parker... Liz, if you do that you’re gonna pay for it!”, she shouts as I leave the room. I drown out her screams as I start to walk to the front desk to see who needs my help.

I look at the clock. 2:30 AM… I sigh heavily. This is gonna be a long shift.

(Boston)
Max POV

Sometimes, I have these rare moments of reflection where I take a look at myself and where I stand at this moment. Now is such a time. As I step out of my car and breathe in the humid air, I’m having such a moment. I can't deny that everything seems to be going great for me here in Boston. I'm in good health, I have a wonderful girlfriend who I'm hoping to marry and I have my family and a fine circle of friends. Life is good, I really can’t deny that. Still… and I don’t really know why… I can’t stop to think about what my life would have been like if I had gone a different way in life.

I can still remember the soft ness of her hair, the scent of her perfume and that captive smile. She was my high school crush, and she was and will always be in my mind. But when the time came to make a choice, I didn’t choose her. Instead I choose the girl who was most the most popular at the time; Tessina Harding. Right out of high school, I had gotten her pregnant. We never got married though; we just wanted to raise the baby together. But five months into her term, something terrible happened. I came home and found her crying on the bathroom floor, holding her slightly engorged belly and whimpering softly. We had lost our baby. We got through it together and we came even closer in those next months to come. I began to really love her and several years later, I knew for sure that I loved her with all my heart.

But I have a feeling deep down inside me, asking me if I chose the right girl on that fateful moment in high school. Only time will tell... right?

Suddenly, the sound of one of my favorite songs echoes in my ears. I take a few seconds to appreciate the sound before I snap out of it and realize that it’s my phone ringing. I take the phone out of my pocket and read the caller ID. It says Guerin. I’m not expecting a call from him today so I quickly answer the call. I hope nothing’s wrong.

“Hey man...what’s up?”, I say

“Hey I just got an invitation. Guess for what”, he says and I can hear the excitement in his voice. What is it with people when they want to say something but they want someone else to guess it first.

“The queen of France invited you for breakfast”, I say without any hesitation

"Don’t be stupid Max. France doesn’t have a queen. No, it’s the invitation for the reunion of the Roswell class of 2002. That’s what!”, he says excitedly

“Come on Michael, it’s been ten years already!”, I say with a loud sigh.

“Maxwell, that’s why they call it a reunion. And I was just wondering if you were going”, he asks casually

“I don’t know...I mean being back in Roswell, It’s going to be pretty strange don’t you think?”, I say

“Yeah, I guess. If you think of it that way, I suppose. I thought you’d like to see Parker again”, he says.

Hey, no fair bringing her into the mix. “Why would you think that?”, I ask trying to sound like I don’t care, but meanwhile, my heart is pounding in my chest... just by the mere mention of her name.

“Oh, please Maxwell… remember I know your little secret? You loved her all your life. You’re the one who told me on graduation day or did you forget?” He says. Well, I actually did forget that I told him. I can just picture that annoying grin that must be on his face right this second.

“Michael!”, I just shout. Okay, lousy comeback.

“What? I didn’t tell anyone”, he says indignantly”, “…You forgot didn’t you?” He laughs out. Guess I’m more transparent than I thought; even through the phone. “Talk about a bad memory Maxwell”, he continues. Yeah, rub some more salt in the wound, Michael.

“Shut up”, I say sternly, or at least as stern as I can be, “So maybe I did. That really doesn’t matter anymore”

“Yes it does! What if she loves you too?”, Michael says. This is exactly what I should be hearing right about now.

“Did you forget that I’m still with Tess?”, I ask him curiously.

“Really? I thought you’d have broken it off by now”, he says. He never liked Tess and he never made a secret of it either. He was always saying that it felt like she was out to get something… something she didn’t have. And he must have told me to watch my back about a million times.

“No... I’m really happy with her. She makes me happy, Michael”, I say with what I know is a goofy grin on my face.

“Hey, I just hope that she’s good to you Maxwell. That’s all. You’re my best friend; I’m just trying to look out for you”, he says. He knows exactly what to say to butter me up before bringing up the reunion thing again.

“I know you are man, but that’s what Isabel is for”, I say with a knowing look.

“You know what I mean”, he sighs into the phone.

“Yeah I do Mikey...but don’t worry...I love her and she loves me and I think we are going to be really happy together”, I say

“I hope you are Max, but just take the reunion thing into consideration, okay? I talked to Alex and Isabel about it and we are going to fly out on Thursday”, he says.

“So… have you heard anything from Maria… or Liz?” I curiously ask him.

“No... and if Whitman did he didn't say anything... Hell, I don’t even know if they live in Roswell or what? I guess you’ll know if you come back”, he says.

See how he’s edging me towards Roswell? I need to hang up now before I say something stupid. “Yeah yeah... I have a meeting to set up for Mikey. I'll talk to you later”, I say

"Don't work too hard", I say and I smirk as I can hear him sigh through the phone.

"That is an understatement! See ya Max and remember: Roswell. Thursday", he answers

When I hang up, my thoughts immediately drift back to the summer of 2001; back to Liz.

*~*~*~*~*~
It was in the summer going into our senior year. The coach wasn’t in that day, meaning we got a day off from practice, so I took this opportunity to go to the local café; the one that Liz worked at. She was everything I wanted in a girl, she was sweet, funny, cute, smart, and every other little thing I could name. I loved everything about her, but she wasn’t exactly popular and our friends didn’t mix very well so we had never gotten together. I had valued popularity over personality so to speak. I walked into the Crashdown and there she was in all her glory; taking an order, laughing and helping the customers decide on what they should have. I took my seat at my usual booth, and just looked at her and revelled in her beauty.

“Welcome to the Crashdown, can I take your order?”, she casually asked me. When she looked up, she was definitely surprised to see it was me.

“Max... hey... I thought you had practice?”, she stammered

“Yeah...umm coach Rightman was sick, so they decided to give the defending champs a day off”, I smirked as she smiled and I felt something electric travel through my body in a rapid motion.

“Okay, so will this defending champion have his usual then?”, she said with a smile and when I nodded, she started to write down my order. Soon enough she was back with my drink.

“Here you go...one Cherry Coke”, she said as she passed me an alien straw. As I took it from her I grabbed a hold of her hand.

“Thanks Liz. Do you wa—“, I started to say, but then I heard several familiar voices from behind me.

I turned to see who it was and it was none other than Tessina and her best friend Pam Troy and her gang of girly, popular, stuck up friends.

“Max! What are you doing here, baby?...I thought you were at practice...What a pleasant surprise!”, she squealed as she came over and kissed me on the lips while her friends just stood there and glared at us. I noticed that Liz was still standing there, looking at me. She couldn’t hide her disappointment at that moment; I noticed the look on her face when my girlfriend walked in, she looked upset; hurt. I admit that I felt the same way but Tessina was my girlfriend and I couldn’t let her see my love for Liz. I just couldn't.

“God Liz, can't you drool over some other guy? Can’t you see Max is taken?” Pam Troy snapped to Liz since she was just standing there looking at me for I don’t know how long now.

I didn’t understand why Tess and Pam hated Liz so much, but they just did. Liz on the other hand had always tried to get along with them, but the more friendly she got, the more they would tease and make fun of her.

“Yeah Parker! Why don’t you go scrub something, and in the mean time, get your eyes off my boyfriend. I don’t think Kyle would like the situation you are in right now, don’t you think so Max?”, she asked me but I couldn’t bring my eyes to meet Liz’s.

“Tess, Pam... get the thorn out of your asses and leave Liz alone”, I gritted through my teeth. I was angry… no… furious, that they would speak that way to Liz.

Tess was obviously in the process of ignoring me as she continued to attack Liz.

“So… where is that boyfriend of yours, Lizzie Parker? You know that you don’t deserve him...he’s too good for you. He’s good-looking… you’re not… he’s cool.. you’re not… he’s popular...you're not... and that’s all there really is to it. One of these days, he’s going to see what a mistake you were and dump your sorry ass", Tess sneered. The girls at the table all started laughing at her. I couldn’t believe what just happened... what they hell was wrong with them? I could see that Liz was close to tears now. She tried to say something but the words just weren’t coming out of her mouth. I had to do something... I had to step up...be a strong man... or maybe just a regular man…

“TESS, JUST SHUT UP... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!”, I nearly shouted in the crowded restaurant, causing the girls to jump and that definitely shut her up, but it did leave a devilish smile on her face that I couldn’t place.

“I’ll be back with your order, Max...” Liz said as she left to the back room.

I couldn’t even face Tess right now, but Pam did make a comment as Liz left the room.
“Aaaaw... Poor Lizzy... She’s crying...Poor baby” she teased until I sent her a look that made her stiffen up for a few seconds. She regained her composure a lot faster than I hoped though.

“Evans, you're no fun", Pam said, "C’mon ladies...we don’t need this; we have to get ready for the big party at Valenti's place tonight. Tess… aren’t you coming?", she added when Tess was still staring at me. "She snapped out of it and nodded to Pam and followed her lead, but before Tess could leave, I took her arm and pulled her close to me. “This isn’t over Tess. We need to talk”, I said sternly. She didn’t say anything, not that I expected her to… she just pulled her arm from my grasp and made her way out of the restaurant.

My thoughts immediately went back to Liz. I carefully peaked my head through the back door and I could see Liz crying on the stairs leading up to her house.

“Liz?” I asked compassionately as I approached her

“Max?...”, she said. Her voice was barely audible, she looked and I could see that her nose was red as well as her eyes, and my heart broke in that instant.

“You shouldn’t be back here”, she told me.

“Liz, don’t let them get to you...you are better than this; better than them. They just don’t see that; they just don’t want to see it”, I said. She looked up to me and smiled… and that meant the world for me.

“Max, you don’t have to say that—really..”, she sniffed

“No...I’m not saying it because you got attacked for no reason... I’m telling you because it’s the truth Liz. You are so much better than you realize, you are ten times the person Tessina Harding will ever be", I said

“Max...”, she sighed heavily and then looked up at me, realizing that I wasn’t just saying that to earn points with her; she knew I meant it… she knew that was how I saw her. I went and sat down besides her.

“Liz, I’m telling you the truth...because everything I’m telling you is how I really feel”, I said as I reached up, gently wiped away her tears and looked into her eyes.

“You're perfect... Liz Parker...”, I heard myself say

“No, I’m not”, Liz defended

“Yes.. you are..”, I insisted and at that moment our eyes were locked and we shared a moment unlike anything I ever felt. My breathing increased as my face was only inches away from hers... I could sense the smell of violets and lilies emanating from her soft, sweet skin.

“You are perfect to me, Liz... you’ve always been perfect”, I said; our lips inching closer and closer to each other, and—

*~*~*~*~*~*~

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

I nearly jumped out of skin. Being forced back into reality really bites... I look at my pager and it was the hospital. Of course… why did I even bother checking? A nurse ran out of the hospital shortly after.

“Dr. Evans...one of your patients is crashing; Ben Tomson...”, she says in a frantic tone. And yet she’s here outside talking to me. Good help is so hard to find.

“What?...Shit!...”, I mumble under my breath and run in after the nurse as I think to myself... Liz Parker will just have to wait...for another day.

[Hope Memorial Hospital, Roswell New Mexico....August 24, 2012]
Maria's POV

I hoped that the day would pass by quickly. Liz called me last night to tell me that she had to cover her mom's shift at the Crashdown so I'm stuck with a double shift. It's 7PM at the moment; that means I've been here for thirteen hours already… but that also means I still have three hours to go. God, will this day never end? Why can't time hurry… just for me… just this one time?

"Sleep! I need sleep!", I exclaim as I throw myself on the front desk in the nurse's quarters. I can hear a few doctors and nurses giggle around me. And they call themselves my friends…

"Well, you know DeLuca...you can come and sleep with me. I don't mind really", one of the doctors barks out. Admittedly, he's definitely tall, dark and handsome, but still… no way in hell! I know it's been years since I've gotten laid but I'm not that desperate. Don't get me wrong; I'm desperate, I'm just not that desperate. Part of the reason I'm not interested is because deep down inside, I really miss my ex-boyfriend; yes, that's right… mr. Guerin himself. God, I hate that.

Still, I'd better let him know just how what I'm feeling towards him. I look at him, take a deep breath, and walk up close to him until I can feel his heavy breathing on my forehead. I see him struggle for air as I stand so close in front of him

"Is that a promise, Gomez… or a guarantee?" I tease. Nothing like turning a guy like this on… before shooting him down like the rabid dog he is.

He smiles at me. "It's whatever you want it to be, DeLuca", he says and I can see both the doctors and the nurses giving us those perplexed kinds of looks.

I lean in even closer and whisper in his ear, a little more huskily than usual. It's just enough to send him over the edge and I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. "Not if you were the last scumbag on the face of this planet", I say with an equally husky voice and with that I walk away trying to look as serious as possible in doing so. And that's not easy, you know.

As I walked away, I can hear doctors and nurses laughing at him. "She told you...", one of the doctors says. "Gomez got told!", another one laughs. Apparently, me and Liz aren't the only ones who act like we're in high school.

"Just you wait, DeLuca… I'll get you sooner or later", he shouts after me as I roll my eyes and leave the room. I suppose I better continue working. Just two hours and fifty eight minutes to go.

For some reason, I keep thinking about Michael at this moment... I keep thinking about why it didn't work out between us. If me and Liz would go to this reunion, would he be there? I don't know. All I really know is that I miss him. It's been years and still… I miss him. "Why can't I get over you Michael...why?", I softly ask myself. I better go back to work and pray this day will end soon.

TBC..
Last edited by LovelyPOM83 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Stefuh
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter one

Post by Stefuh »

Max clearly regrets that he didn't get with Liz instead of Tess... and God, poor Liz in that scene, Pam and Tess where so mean to her, I hate them.
I can't wait to see how that reunion will go!
I'm glad that Isabel and Alex are happy together though! :mrgreen:
Post more soon, please!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter one

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Thought I recognized you POM......so glad to see you back to finish this story!
My youngest son is named Douglas, and his older sister still calls him "Dougie" much to his embarrassment. Loved that reference.
Can't wait to see how this reunion turns out.......I'm expecting fireworks of some sort.
Thanks!
LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 2

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Authors note:
Hi guys, yes I'm back, most of this story is already written, so I will be posting quite frequently. Since we are still in quarantine, I figured I can finish my stories. ❤️

Chapter Two: Two Faced

[Boston)

Max POV

“I don’t think that jumping off the roof was a very smart thing to do, Jimmy”, I tell my nine year old patient as he tries to tell me how he got into the mess that he’s in. I really try not to laugh.

“Hey, you weren’t there! If I hadn’t jump off, I would have been the laughing stock of the entire class. I was dared… I had to do it! I didn’t want to be known as a chicken for the rest of my life”, the young boy says. I’m really impressed by his courage, but by doing what he did, he had broken his arm and both of his legs.

“Well, Jimmy as much as I can give you props for jumping off a three story house and survive, you had better remember that you’re lucky that a few broken bones is all you have; you could have cracked open your head. If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?”, I ask him. I have to admit I’m kinda curious what he’s gonna answer.

“To be popular? Yeah definitely, without a doubt!”, he exclaims. For some reason, I’m not surprised by his answer.

“Being popular isn’t what it cracks out to be...just be glad for what you have”, I say, looking back and forth between the clock and my patient.

“Just promise me you’ll think before you jump off anything… or better yet, just don't jump off anything anymore“, I say, looking at him and waited for his response.

“Jimmy Aaron Carter, what the hell did you do?", I hear someone yell. One second later, his parents come rushing into the room. "My baby… Oh… my…God! You are so grounded, young man. What happened? Are you alright?”, his mom rambles. She's clearly freaked, and wouldn't you be if you found your child lying in a hospital bed.

“I’m fine mom, just some broken bones”, he says, trying to pull away from his mom, but she has that motherly death grip on him and he knows as well as I do, there is no breaking her away from him anytime soon.

“I’ll be back...in a minute..”, I say and I walk out of the room and closed the door behind me, only to hear loud shouting coming from inside of the room. Now I’m even gladder that I got out of the room. I laugh softly as I walk down to the break room; kids these days…

When I enter the break room, I find my boss; the ER director Mark Hanson. “Max, I didn’t know you were still here… long shift?”, he asks as I pour myself a cup of coffee and sit down across the table.

“You can say that again. This is my tenth cup of coffee tonight, I gotta keep going”, I say with a smile as he smirks. I set the cup to my lips and I start pouring the contents of the cup in my mouth, and as I drink the caffeinated beverage, I find myself getting more awake with each sip.

“I actually wanted to talk to you Maxwell”, he says. Did he say Maxwell? He did, didn't he? That can't be good… he only calls me Maxwell when he's really serious and really important.

“About what, Mark?”, I say, trying not to sound impatient. I really want him to just get to the point.

“Well I have good news and then some bad news... Good news is that you got the job as Resident in Chief of The Emergency Room that you applied for, congratulations are in order. But the thing is that we are a bit crowded right now, and instead of holding the position for you and holding you back, another hospital has agreed to take you; Hope Memorial. They are willing to pay you two times as much as we ever could. It’s not like we don’t want you, but there are just a lot of layoffs ever since the new management took over last spring. I wouldn’t want you to be left with nothing so I pulled some strings and got you a job there", he says. Is it me or did he just… fire me?

As I go through his words in my head, something else strikes me. Okay I got the job... but I had to relocate? Hope Memorial...why does that sound so familiar. Oh shit!
“Hope Memorial...isn’t that in Roswell, New Mexico?” I asked trying to sound shocked.

“Yeah, well...I thought you’d be happier there seeing as though you grew up there, and you’re family is there. I had to place you somewhere, and I thought that was the proper place for you right now. If you don’t like it, I’m sure they will agree with another transfer in an additional six months”, he says

Is he really saying this? I’ve been working at this hospital for the past five years. They can’t just sack me! No wait, this is a joke. Am I on candid camera or something?

“Are you bullshitting me?”, I calmly say as I wait for everyone to run out an yell, “APRIL FOOLS!!’ but very much doubt that was the deal seeing as through it isn’t April, but August.

“No bullshit, Max. I’m sorry but it’s a done deal. You start there in four days, sorry for the short notice but the hospital just got back to me this morning. I’m sorry Maxwell, but tonight is your final shift here. I only hope there are no hard feelings; I tried really hard to keep you apart of the Boston team. But, there is just no room for you right now”, he says. I can’t say I like the guy very much at this moment. If this is still a joke, I’m not amused.

I’m just sitting here, looking down at my cup of coffee, not saying anything. I try to say something but no words come out of my mouth.

“You will be paid for the rest of the week, and I hope you do understand”, he says and with a heavy sigh, as if he was the one that got dumped, he walks out the door and into the hall towards his office.

I on the other hand continue to just sit here for a few minutes more before getting up and starting to pack my stuff from my locker. I then finish the remaining hours of my shift. God, could this day get any worse?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Roswell)

Liz POV

Ever tried to find the perfect outfit in a closet full of clothes? I’m trying it now, and I gotta say, digging in my closet was not fun. I have mounds of clothes on my bed… okay; well I’m exaggerating a little bit… I had all my clothes thrown around my room until I finally found my very sexy little black dress that makes every guy turn. Every girl has one...and I was proud to show mine off every time whenever I got the chance… and tonight was another one of those chances. Now that I fixed my hair... and my dress, I start to put on what little make up I use.

“Oh..La...La... Where are you going?” Maria asks as she barges into the room with her Crashdown uniform on. She’s never been one for knocking. She was covering my shift for me, mainly because my mom still wasn’t feeling well… for like, the second week in a row. I’ve missed almost all my shifts at the hospital because I had to run the restaurant. Thankfully, Maria covered all my shifts at the hospital to make up the time.

I turn around at the doorway, where she’s standing. “What do you think?”, I spin around for her as she laughs at me.

“Again...where are you going?”, she demands to know. I swear, that woman couldn’t wait two seconds if her life depended on it.

“Kyle is taking me out to a new club...I haven’t seen him since he got back from Massachusetts last week. This long distant relationship is really starting to get to him I guess”, I shrug off as I look at a very quiet Maria. This is far more unsettling than a rambling Maria, you know.

“What?”, I cautiously ask her as I wait for my comment to sink in.

“Well, I just thought you guys agreed to break it off a while ago? Well, at least that’s what you wanted—didn’t you?”, she says and I roll my eyes as I try my best to defend myself and my relationship with Kyle.

“Maria, yeah...I was going to but he told me that he missed me and loved me and wanted to give us a second chance. Besides, I think he’s going to take the next step and pop—you know...”, I say.

“Pop—Pop what?”, she ask, totally clueless of what I was going to say.

“You know…”

“No...I don’t...”

“Maria...”

“Liz... Just tell me!”, she impatiently exclaims.

“I think Kyle Valenti is going to pop the big question!”, I grin happily.

“What do you mean? Big question?”, she says. I swear sometimes she can be a real dope.

“Marriage, Maria. I think he’s going to ask me to marry him.”, I say loudly.

It doesn’t take long for her to react this time...she bursts out laughing and a fit of giggles erupted from her body. I so much want to slap her right now. She can still work with a black eye, right?

“Stop...’Ria...What the hell is so funny?”, I demand to know.

“You... y-you actually t-think he—he is going t-to Purpose??!!!?”, she asks; her face bright red right now and she’s actually almost crying.

“Why is that such a shock to you? We’ve only been going out for like 6 years. Off and on of course, if that even counts”, I shout indignantly. I’m becoming very irritated with her behaviour right now; even more than before.

“Liz, it’s not that I don’t have faith in you...and that everything in your future, it’s just that he’s not the committed kind of guy. He’s cheated on you before...every time he gets stationed in another state for his military duty, you don’t see the guy for a year at a time. You two have been on this roller coaster since junior year. How long are you gonna keep doing this?”, she asks, suddenly seeming completely serious, more serious than I’ve ever seen her...even at work she’s not this serious.

“Parker are you ready?” a voice shouts from downstairs. He’s still in his car… I must say he isn’t the most romantic guy out there but I love him and he makes me happier than anything else in the world.

“I promise Maria, I’ll be careful and cautious and everything...”, I try to assure her before going back to getting ready.

“Parker, HURRY UP!!!”, Kyle shouts from his car. Maria sends me a look before turning back downstairs to start her shift.

I look at myself once more before heading downstairs to see if my Kyle has really changed this time around.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~**~*~*~*~

[Boston)

Max POV

On the way home I look at everything around me and everything I’ve grown accustomed to over the years that I’ve lived here. Besides Roswell, it is the only place I ever called home. Well, at least it feels that way to me. It’s still light outside when I pull up to my house, I decided to leave work early and get a head start on packing… not to mention telling Tess that we had to move. I had been planning a quiet weekend with her, but I guess that plan was out the window. I take a small square box that I had placed in my glove department of my car for safe keeping. I was planning on popping the question to her tonight, but now I don’t think that it’s such a great idea. All of a sudden, I’m having another deep-thoughts moment and I think back to Liz, and the day in the backroom of the Crashdown.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Max...I...don’t...think...”, she started to say in protest but I just smiled and pulled her closer to me.

“Liz? Are you back here?”

We both jumped at the loud voice that broke the moment, we looked up to see her best friend Maria DeLuca standing there with a shocked look on her face identical to ours.

“I should really get going...I gotta...go...and...m-meet Michael. Liz I’ll catch you later. Always, nice seeing you Maria”, I waved at Liz and walked right past Maria, paid for my food that I haven’t touched and left only to see a very annoyed Tessina Harding waiting for me down the street.

“How’s Parker?”, she said coldly, I tried to shake off the iciness in her tone.

“Why do you guys always have to put her down? What did she ever do to you?”, I asked. I seriously wanted to know… just from her perspective...

“Because”, she said. That’s all...that’s the best she got.

“Because… why?”, I asked as I stood in front of her with my arms crossed.

“Because she wants to take you away from me, I see the way you look at her... I see how she looks at you. I guess I’m just so afraid of losing you that I let my nerves get the best of me. I’m sorry if I upset you, Max; I just love you so much”, she said.

“Tess, you’re not going to lose me...I’m right here. I’m not going anywhere”, I said as I brushed away a strand of hair from her face. “I promise you”. I kissed her quickly and pulled her in a tight embrace... but just as I hugged her I really wanted to break loose and tell her that I loved Liz parker and that I wanted to be with Liz, and leave her behind...but I wanted to get closer to Liz before doing that. I knew it would only hurt both her and Liz, but I wanted to be sure before I went any further.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Tess honey...I’m home...”, I call out as I enter our home and place my keys and my jacket in the appropriate places and check the mail that was lying on the coffee table as I walked into the kitchen to get something to drink.

"You won't believe the day I had...", I tell her as I walk through out the household that we've shared ever since I graduated from Yale, and we moved here for my internship. I walk all the way through the house in search of her. Where is she?

“Tess?", I shout. I wondered where she was, but suddenly, I notice something strange. It’s almost like some things are missing. Some little things. The little nicks and knacks that were usually everywhere… they’re now gone. Strange… I’m sure they were there this morning.

Walking into our room, I can hear music playing full blast, and I can hear her singing along. She’s singing to one of her favorite CDs from a very long time ago, she always listens to when she’s cleaning. I just watch her from afar before I make my way into the room.

One more kiss could be the best thing
But one more lie could be the worst
And all these thoughts are never resting
And you're not something I deserve

She looks so cute swaying to the music and singing along. I continue to watch her as she gets more and more into the song.

In my head there's only you now
This world falls on me
In this world there's real and make believe
And this seems real to me

“Wow...Tess I think you’re the next William Hung!”, I laugh as she quickly turns around in a surprised motion and jumps up at the same time. She then rushes to turn down the music.

“Max... what are you doing here...? I thought you didn’t get off until much later on tonight?”, she asks as she just stares at me with those ocean blue eyes and milky skin that just makes me fuzzy all over.

"Aww...you're not happy to see me, baby?", I ask playfully, pretending to be hurt by her remark.

She doesn't say anything in return. Something is definitely wrong. Why do I have the feeling I’m not going to like this?

"Baby?", I ask her as I walk towards her to pull her into my arms but she just pulls away.

"Tess? What's wrong?", I ask

You love me but you don't know who I am
I'm torn between this life I lead and where I stand
And you love me but you don't know who I am
So let me go
Let me go

I admit it took me a while to realize what she’s doing... but as I look around at the room that we’ve shared, it seemed empty...and I see several boxes standing near the door.

“Tess, what are you doing? What’s with all the boxes?”, I ask. I seriously don’t know what was happening here... and I want a clear answer now.

“Max...I-I didn’t expect to tell you this until tonight...but since you’re here now, I don’t have choice”, she says ominously. I don’t know what the hell she’s talking about or what she’s trying to get at.

I dream ahead to what I hope for
And I turn my back on loving you
How can this love be a good thing?
When I know what I'm goin through

“Max...”

“Tess?”, I ask. I see that she’s trying to say something but she can’t get the words out...it’s like they’re stuck there on her tongue...and don’t want to come out...”

“Max...I- I don’t know how to say this exactly”, she starts out, which makes me worry even more.

In my head there's only you now
This world falls on me
In this world there's real and make believe
And this seems real to me

* Max...I’m moving out...”, she blurts out.

“What?”, I ask. I was literally shocked... yes, bolts of electricity just seem to course through my body. My mouth opens and closes like a fish that was taken out of its water... and left there to die.

“I’m leaving you Max...I just don’t feel like we are getting anywhere… and I don’t think it’s fair to you or to me to keep living this lie”, she says it with no emotion at all.

“But I love you, Tess”, I say. What else can I say?

“I love you, Max… but only as a friend... I haven’t felt anything for you romantically for a long time now, and it’s not fair to you to keep you in this sorry excuse for a relationship that we have”, she says

So let me go
Just Let me go...
Let me go

I suddenly feel angry. Not sad; but angry. “Tess, you are not leaving this house!” I shout at her. I don’t mean to sound this way... but it’s just that her revelation surprised the hell out of me. And that’s the understatement of the century.

“Excuse me...”, was all Tess could come back with.

"Tess… yes you heard me right. I am a part of this too...you are not leaving me...not now, not ever", I shout at her letting my anger take over.

“Yes I am, Maxwell Phillip Evans...and there is nothing you can say to stop me...”, she says as she gets up from her seat and continues to pack her things.

“Tess... you are 20 weeks pregnant with my baby... I’m not letting you out of this house, I’m sorry...but I’m not going to let you take my own baby away from me!!” I sneer through my clutched jaw. Maybe I’m being a jerk here but it’s my baby. I can’t just let her take him away from me.

She was just silent.

“It’s my baby too...”, I shout again.

“NO...IT’S NOT MAX...YOU’RE NOT THE FATHER NOW... AND YOU WEREN'T THE FATHER THEN EITHER!!!”, she screams.

And no matter how hard I try
I can't escape these things inside I know
I know...
When all the pieces fall apart
You will be the only one who knows
Who knows

Did she just say that…. “What?!”, I say as I take a step back, away from her. I can already feel the fury taking over me... better take another two steps back. “What the hell, Tess... what do you mean I’m not the father… and what on God’s green Earth do you mean I wasn’t the father then either?”, I demand to know. My tone obviously scares her as she almost jumped in fright as I stood over her. I thought I took a few steps back but I’m already back within striking distance.

And you love me but you don't know who I am
So let me go
Just let me go

She sighs and looks down at her hands as she begins to explain to me, “Max...back in high school, when I told you I was pregnant...I lied to you...”, she says and took another deep breath before continuing. I’m holding my breath as well as she explains.

“I really was pregnant...but the thing was that it was never yours.I saw you getting closer to Liz,and I couldn’t stand of the idea of you getting close to anyone but me. I never meant to hurt you… at the time it seemed like a good idea”, she said with a shrug. She suddenly seemed like such a cold person.

“How long has this been going on?”, I ask. Call me crazy, call me masochistic, but I really want to know what she was doing behind my back and how long.

“What?”, she asked with a confused look

“HOW LONG TESSINA?”, I demanded loudly.

And you love me but you don't
You love me but you don't
And you love me but you don't
You love me but you don't
You love me but you don't know me

“After our graduation, I broke it off with him, but I saw him again and we started to see eachother again." She started to ramble.

"Just get to the point." I sneered through my teeth. I saw her face hold with almost no emotion at all.

"Off and on for the past 7 years, ever since we moved from New York to Boston...”, she said so casually I almost couldn’t believe my ears.

“I don’t love you Max...I’m afraid I never did. You were just my security net, because back then he didn’t want anything to do with---“I cut her off...I had heard enough...

“Stop...just stop...get out of my house...”, I say quietly to her. I’ve heard enough. I just want her to go.

“But Max, I’m not done packing...”, she protests. That’s it! I’ve had it.

”Oh...you’re not done are you? Well here...let me help you...”, I say and with that I take a box in each hand, barge downstairs and throw them out the front door and onto the front yard, not caring the least what’s inside of them. I storm back inside the house, and throw the remaining of her belongings inside the box that’s closest to her, and hand it to her.

“Here... I think this is everything...”, I scowl as she grabs it away from me.

“Don’t bother coming back... because I’m not going to be here!”, I shout as I hear the door slam shut and I punch my fist against the wall in fury. Whoever said you don’t feel anything when you’re angry is an idiot.

I quickly grab my cell phone and dial a number. “C’mon...answer your damn phone...C’mon...”, I say impatiently as the voice mail kicks in...

“Michael...I’ll meet you in Roswell, give me a call when you get this...and I’ll fill you in...Bye.”, I say before I throw my cell phone at the wall and sink down to ground in a fury of tears and rage. This just isn’t fair…

I have to get out of here. And I quickly grab my coat and head out the front door.

TBC....

~The song used was Let Me Go by 3 Doors Down
Stefuh
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Stefuh »

Poor Max, he sure had a bad day... At least, he'll be happily surprised when he'll see that he's going to work with Liz! ^^
Tess is a b*tch.... so is Kyle, I'm thinking like Maria, that he surely won't ask Liz in marriage...

Can't wait for the next chapter!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Oh boy.....Max is on his way back to Roswell.
Without Tess I am very happy to hear.
She played him for a fool all of that time.
Now for Kyle........sure hope Liz doesn't get engaged to him just as Max is returning.
Please?
LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 3

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Chapter 3: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Roswell

Liz POV

I’m still amazed at the fact that we actually got into the Red Signal. Now before you ask me what the hell the Red Signal is… it’s the hottest club in all of New Mexico. And we got in! Knowing Kyle, I initially figured he would suggest sneaking in, but I was shocked to find out that we didn’t even have to wait in line—he gave his name and the bouncer just let us in. We danced for a few hours, until Kyle finally relented and escorted me upstairs; to the three star restaurant they have there.

“Food. I need food”, I say as me and Kyle walk up two flights of stairs, in stiletto heels I might add; I’m impressed with myself. Okay, I admit, that may have sounded a little whining but I don’t care; I’m starving.

“You should really stop hanging out with Maria twentyfour-seven”, he laughs as he smiles at the hostess who’s showing us to our table.

“Why would you say that?”, I ask. Seriously, what was up with that; he never said anything bad about Maria before. He’s really acting a little weird tonight.

“I just mean...you spend all your free time with her. You guys work together, live together and now...I hate to say it, but you’re starting to sound like her”, he says. I suppose he’s not completely wrong; it is kind of strange… maybe he’s hinting that he can take me away from all of this drama I surround myself with everyday. Oh my god, maybe he really wants to get married. I have to admit that I want that; getting married and settling down, and maybe even have children… and I think Kyle is my best, scratch that… only, chance to do just that.

As the waitress brings our drinks and me and Kyle place our orders, I look intently at his eyes. We talk about all sorts of things but when I concentrate on his eyes, I can see that the spark in his eyes that was so apparent before, isn’t there anymore.

So I’ve made a decision”, he proclaims after we finish our meal.

This is it. This is the moment; me and Kyle, together forever. I know it’s very fantasy-like; very happily-ever-after and foolish of me to think. But it’s my dream, and eventually I want to fulfil it.

“Yeah. What’s that?”, I nervously reply to his statement as I play with my apple martini that I ordered from the bar.

“I’m not going to reenlist next year. I think 10 years of my life is all I’m willing to give of myself to my government and my country”, he says with a smile and I did the same, albeit a little less enthusiastic. Well, it’s not what I was expecting, but I suppose it’s a step in the right direction. Yeah, I’m happy for him… okay, I feel like screaming. Who am I kidding?

“That’s… that’s great, Kyle”, I say, using a fake-smile at this point. I’m sorry, but that was the perfect moment for him to make the perfect gesture of his love and devotion to me; for him to be a man and beg me to marry him...and it was wasted on a work-related remark. I can feel me roll my eyes as he continues to drink his beer. I don’t think he saw it.

After that I suggest we go back downstairs so we could dance some more. I don’t have to go to work the next day, so I’m going to take advantage of this night.

“Wow, I still can’t believe you got us into here tonight. What did you have to do to get that to happen?”, I ask him as we sway to the music.

“Um... I have my connections”, He smirks as his body communicates with mine.

“Connections? Really?”, I say as I give him a questionable glance and raised my eyebrows at him. “Should I be worried how you got these connections?”, I ask him, but he doesn’t reply to that one. Not the way I want him to anyway.

“Don’t you worry that pretty little head about that... c’mon let’s dance”, he says. I give him a puzzled look. That sounded almost condescending. Oh well, I’m probably seeing things. I get like that sometimes.

Four songs later, I’m getting the feeling that needs to get something off his chest. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad, but I know something is coming. As if on cue, a slow song starts to echo through the room.

Just like an angel, you’re gonna make me fly
into your arms, you’re wrapping me up so tight
You got me crawling so bad
Got me heels over head

As we begin to sway to the music I can see his attitude change, he’s not the same guy that I was dancing with an hour ago. He’s tense and his stare is… I’ve never seen that look before.

So, don’t make me cry
Cause this love don’t feel so right
You can’t push a river
you can’t make me fall
but you can make me unreachable

“Kyle are you alright?”, I finally ask, “It looks like you have to say something?”

He pulls away from me slightly, and my smile turns serious when he can’t even look me in the eyes. “Kyle?”, I ask

I may be sweet but I’m still on the vine
You couldn’t wait no; You had to take your bite
You had me crawling so badly
had me hells over head
You had me easy, you had me easy
to late to go back to realize what we had
We were already beautiful

“Well, I...I don’t really know how to say this Liz. I don’t want to talk about this right now. It can wait”, he says. I know he’s trying to push me away and forget about the problem that’s obviously on his chest, but that is just unacceptable. Call it a side-effect from hanging with Maria, but I want to know and I just know that this is something important, and I can’t just excuse it. Of course, I don’t tell him that. Instead I just look at him intensely. And I’ll keep doing that until he tells me what’s wrong.

“Don’t look at me like that”, he says in an annoyed voice. See it’s already working.

“Like what?”, I defend myself, “We need to talk about this Kyle”. He knows I’m right but it looks like he just doesn’t know when to begin.

So don’t make me cry
cause this love don’t feel so right
you can’t push a river
you can’t make me fall
But you can make me unreachable

“Kyle?”, I ask as I look at him more closely, waiting for him to say something... anything at this moment.

Sometimes love is addiction
sometimes it hurts like hell
and sometimes you just can’t get enough

“Liz, we’ve been together a long time...and you know that I love you, right?”, he says in a nervous, soft voice.

“Right”, I say softly. Oh. My. God. This is it... he’s going to ask me. Granted, this isn’t the exact spot I’d wished it would be, but I’m sure he’ll make up for it later. He probably couldn’t stand to wait until the end of the night or something.

“Kyle what are you trying to get at?”, I ask him trying to get him to finally get to what he is saying. I can feel a smile creep on my face.

You can’t make me love you anymore than I do
But you can make me unreachable.

“Maybe we’ve been together a little too long...”, he finally says…… wait a minute, WHAT? I can’t believe my ears. Wait, maybe I heard him wrong…… Okay, the look on his face indicates that I didn’t misunderstand.

Don’t make me cry
Cause this love don’t feel right
You can’t push a river
You can’t make me fall
But you can make me unreachable...

“What is that supposed to mean? Don’t you love me?”, I demand to know and I can already feel a tear sliding down my face.

“Liz...I wish...there...was an easier way to say this...but...”, he stammers

“But what? For God’s sake Kyle, just say it. What do you have to lose… besides your testicles?”, I demand, adding touch of venom at the end, something he doesn‎’t seem at all impressed by.

So don’t make me cry
Cause this love don’t feel so right
You can’t push a river
you can’t make me fall
but you can make me unreachable

”I think we should see other people”, he says. Okay, I know I’m giving him my blank-stare now but I just don’t know how to look away. Is he serious? I guess he is.

“Oh my god, I’m such a fool”, is all I can get out before I run off the dance floor

“Liz, wait... Liz!”, I can hear him shouting after me as I run to our table to get my purse.

“What do you want? Do you want to try making my night even worse than it already is?” I sneer through my teeth and look at him bluntly and probably angry.

“To tell you the truth Liz, I don’t love you...I never have...I’ve been unfaithful to you ever since High School. I know it was wrong, but I was the most popular guy at Roswell High, and scoring you was the best thing that ever happened to my rep”, he says smugly as I look at him in astonishment. I just had to ask. Sometimes, I shouldn’t be allowed to speak. But here I go again…

“Scoring me...what the hell is that suppose to mean?”, I demand to know.

“C’mon Liz, you were a sweet piece of ass; perfect for show and tell at school… why do you think I never took you out after school... I honestly thought that was enough to indicate what you meant to me”, he says and his words start to almost literally hurt. I wonder how many people knew about this… and yet I keep talking. I just can’t stop myself.

“I gave myself to you intimately; we made a promise that night that we would take things more seriously, that if we gave into each other that way that you be mine forever”, I say but I might as well have been quiet. I know now that he was full of shit. He just lied to me.

“Well, although I got what I wanted, I never promised anything...you did”, he smirks. I never noticed how incredibly annoying that smile of his is and as I can feel myself getting angrier and angrier, I suddenly find myself with a glass in my hand and I throw it in his face.

“You sick bastard! You told me all those lovely dovey things just so you could get laid! What the hell is wrong with you?”, I shout. At this point I won’t be able to hold anything back. I see we have an audience around us at this point. I’m louder than I thought.

“I loved you... and I thought that maybe after seven years of this crap you call a relationship, that you would finally make the gesture, propose to me and settle down”, I shout. I don’t give a rat’s ass about the audience. He’s… he’s laughing at me……

“God, Liz you are the last person I would ever marry!”, he shouts as his face becomes red when a fit of giggles take over his body. Is he, like, eight years old or something?

I feel my anger rise above the humiliation and grief I feel now. “I can’t believe I wasted all this time on you. I was so foolish, and naïve; I can’t believe I didn’t see it before”, I say as I shake my head, “So, who is this mystery woman? How long has this been going on behind my back? C’mon just tell me, I’m a big girl”, I ask him as calmly as I can without turning pale.

“About seven years, as long as we’ve been doing our off and on relationship”, he says proudly. He looks so satisfied with himself; I’d do anything to get that fucking smile off his face.

“Asshole”, I hiss out as I slap him in the face as hard as I can. The sharp sound can be heard across the room as quite a few people from around the club look at us. With that I start to walk away; I’ve heard enough… but before I know it, he pulls my arm halting me to a stop.

“Liz... wait...I was hoping...we could be friends...you know...friends”, he asks with a hopeful smile. Is he kidding, delusional or just plain stupid? Or maybe all of the above. He wants to be friends… he has to be kidding.

“Friends? Are you delusional or something?”, I ask

And there’s that fucking cocky smile again. I could probably slap my hand against his face until my hand bleeds before I can knock that smile off his face. “You know friends with benefits, to be exact”, he clarifies.

“Hmm, I need to think about that for a second… No… wait, make that HELL NO!”, I shout. I pull myself away from his grasp and quickly walk outside, along the line of people still waiting to get in.

“Wait. Liz c’mon...”, he whines. I don’t know what I ever saw in him, “It’s just that you’re such a great fuck… I can’t give that up. You ease me when I’m not with her and besides… it’s not like you’re getting any from anybody else”, he laughs coldly. I know he’s just trying to get me back for turning him down but his words still sting.

I walk up to him, and smile at him sweetly before I slap him across the face again, this time even harder than before. “How dare you... you fucking coincided egomaniac son of a bitch!”, I hissed and smirked as a few people in the line gasped while several others laughed. “You know what the difference is between us Kyle, you can brag but so can I and it’s not the kind of bragging that you’d like. I’m a great actress; seeing that I had to fake every orgasm that I ever got from you”, I mock. A low blow but more true than he realizes.

“Stop lying Liz, you’re just trying to make me look bad in front of everyone”, he says as he rolls his eyes. He thinks he’s so smart.

“Don’t flatter yourself, Kyle. I can get a damn Oscar for every one of my performances… over and over again. You know what; I don’t know why I’m even talking about your pathetic love making. You can’t even stack up”, I sneer

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”, he asks, his eyes wide. Oh yeah, I hit a nerve.

“It means that your equipment is short… too short to be exact. Nothing to be happy about. You need a magnifying glass to even see it”, I say and smile as the ladies in the line start to laugh. God, even the bouncer can’t suppress a smile from forming on his face. I start to walk away, leaving him there.

“Where are you going?”, he calls after me.

“HOME!” I shout without turning back to him.

“Liz, home is an hour away. Let me drive you”, he says. Did I understand him correctly; after everything that just happened, he actually wants me to sit with him, in a car, for an entire hour, and still be able to hold onto the small sliver of sanity left within my mind. Not in a million years!

“No! I’ll find my own transportation. If you come any closer to me Kyle Valenti you will be sorry”, I hiss and with that I walk as far as I can before my tired legs get the best of me. Thank God, there’s a pay phone; at times like this, I wish I had a cell.

I dialled the familiar number. ”Please pick up...c’mon”, I quietly pleaded before I heard a familiar voice answer.

“Hey… can you pick me up?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Boston

Max POV

I spent the entire day loading up the U-Haul truck I rented, and I'm currently busy packing up the very last of my belongings. I’ve hired someone to drive the truck down to Roswell as I would be driving my car and I’ve already bought a condo in Roswell that is ready and waiting for me. My thoughts are interrupted by the sharp ring of my cell phone.

"Hello?", I answer without even glancing at the caller ID.

“Max, I’ve been trying to calling you all day! What’s the deal?”, Michael shouted on the other end. I want to tell him, but then again I don’t. Does that make any sense? I know the words I told you so, would come out of his mouth eventually. Oh fuck it, it’s not like he’s not gonna find out anyway.

“Max? Hello? You know if I wanted to talk to myself, I wouldn’t be paying two dollars a minute for long distance”, Michael complains. Weird… he has all the money he could ever want, and yet he’s complaining about a fifty dollar bill. Typical.

“Doesn’t matter Mikey, you can afford it”, I laugh as I can hear his voice sharpen. See he hates it went anyone calls him that, but it doesn’t stop me.

“Max, I told you not to call me that. You know that I absolutely hate that fucking nickname. Do you like getting on my nerves?”, he asks. I’m sure glad he can’t see my expression right now. I smirk mockingly. I know it gets on his nerves, but that’s what makes it funny, I suppose I could stop… but what would be the fun in that?

“Fine, have it your way”, I relent, “...I’ll stop calling you that and go back to calling you Mikey G“, I answer. I couldn’t help it...I had to go for the punch, I try to hold in my laughter but I’m failing terribly.

“Real mature Maxwell...”, he sighs before he continues, “…just go back to calling me Mikey” He sounded like he was defeated; he hates that nickname even more than the name Mikey. Some girl back in college called him that. She worshiped the ground he walked on… a lot more to be funny. She was really weird if you asked me; she even had a shrine of him. It got so bad at one point that he actually had to go to the police and tell them that she was stalking him. She was forced away with a restraining order and that was the end of that. Wow, Michael really knows how to pick them. Oh, who am I to talk?

“Don’t cry about it Michael”, I laugh out.

“Okay, I didn’t call you back so you could mock me. Seriously, what’s up?”, he asks. I take a moment before I speak up… gathering nerves and all.

“I’m coming back to Roswell”, I blurt out in one quick breath. There. It’s out.

“Oh, I see you finally given into the lure of Liz Parker huh?”, he laughs. You know, ten seconds ago, I was laughing at him… those were the good old times. I totally forgot about Liz for a moment. She’s not the reason why I’m going back though, besides...I don’t even know if she’s even gonna be there.

“What? No. I’m going for t—“,I try to tell him but he cut me off.

“The reunion...”, he says knowingly

“Michael, will you let me finish?”, I loudly exclaim

“Fine. Go ahead”, he patiently says

“Thank you. First off let me say that I got my promotion… you’re looking at the new director of the Emergency Room”, I say proudly

“Wow, man congrats! I know you were really hoping you’d get that position so I’m happy for you”, he says. Coming from him, that really means something; we’ve been friends for, like, forever and he never said anything he didn’t mean. Okay enough mushy stuff... back to the point.

“Yeah, well… it turns that if I want the promotion I have to go to Roswell”, I say. The line suddenly goes quiet.

“Michael?”, I call out... I can hear him breathing... but no words are coming out of his mouth, which is a first.

“Wow man...”, he says. Seriously that’s all he has to say. No, that’s great. It’s gonna be so good to see you again… just, wow man.

“Yeah, in one day...I got fired, transferred and Tess walked out on me”, I say, adding the Tess thing really quick, but I should have known better than to even try.

“Tess… what?”, he exclaims.

As I tell him about everything she said… and my entire day’s events, he was shocked to say the least. You and me both, Mickey G.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(Roswell)

Liz POV

Looking at the jetta pulling up in front of me, I quickly climb in try to avoid the eyes of my best friend before starts to bombard me with questions. I really don’t want to relive this entire night… but an hour of Maria is long and she’ll pull it out of me anyway.

“Thanks for picking me up, Maria”, I tell her once we get onto the main highway.

“So, what happened with Kyle?”, she asks, “I’m assuming that it didn’t go well”. I look out the window. I can’t see her but I know she’s looking at me.

“Um...you can say that… we broke up”, I sigh heavily, trying to let the hurt sink in.

“What?”, she practically screamed, causing me to jump up and hit my head on the roof. Thank you Maria.

“Maria, I really don’t feel like talking about it right now. Can you just drive a—“, I say but she cuts me off in her usual fashion.

“No, you need to tell me what happened, Liz”, she pushes. Did I mention she’s a bit nosy from time to time?

“Why?”, I ask

“Well, I’m gonna find him and kick his ass… and I’d like to know why I’m doing it”, she says. I couldn’t hide the smile that swept across my face. Thanks Ria.

“Fine. The short version“, I say. She nods in approval so I continue.

“He’s been cheating on me since high school... that’s ten years down the drain... all this time he considered our relationship to be friends with benefits… and he still wanted to get some tonight… so I threw wine in his face and slapped him in the face twice”, I say surprised when I found myself gasping for breath. Guess I forgot to breathe there. I smirked remembering how he looked after I slapped him; at least one good memory from this night.

“What an asshole!”, she muttered under her breath, but I still heard her.

“Tell me about it... in fact, asshole was my exact phrase”, I sigh as I can feel tears welling up in my eyes again. Jesus Christ, not again.

“Aw... Liz don’t cry. He’s not worth it”, she says as she tries to calm me down.

“No, Maria... I’m so mad at myself. I should’ve seen it coming—all this time, ten fucking years, and I didn’t pick up on it once. I was so naïve; I wanted to believe something that wasn’t even there. You know… when I told him about him popping the question... he laughed at me. He actually said I was the last person on Earth he’d marry”, I cry out.

“Get over him. He doesn’t deserve you... he’s scum; the dirt on the bottom of the sink… no wait, the mucus that grows on the dirt on the bottom of the sink. You deserve so much better than him. Trust me, there are plenty of guys out there that would love to go out with you”, she says. You know, somehow, Maria’s rambling always calms me down.

“It’s not that easy, I’m not sure if I loved him for him or for the person I wanted him to be”, I sigh heavily.

“Okay, do you want some advice?”, she asks

It’s not like she would keep it to herself if I told her no so I might as well indulge her. “Sure. I’ll take anything at this point”, I say. She sends me a look before continuing.

“Okay here it goes....”, she says.

The trouble with love is
It can tear you up inside
Make your heart believe a lie
It's stronger than your pride
The trouble with love is
It doesn't care how fast you fall
And you can't refuse the call
See, you got no say at all

Now I was once a fool, it's true
I played the game by all the rules
But now my world's a deeper blue
I'm sadder, but I'm wiser too
I swore I'd never love again
I swore my heart would never mend
Said love wasn't worth the pain
But then I hear it call my name”

That’s it?... That’s her big advice speech... singing a song?! I think she’s been sniffing too much of that Cypress oil again.

“Sweetie, isn’t that a song?”, I ask. I mean, I don’t know how to react to this.

“Yeah… so?”, she asks blankly.

“Maria, you don’t listen that that kind of music. I’ve know you for, like, forever and you are not exactly the type to listen to pop music, Kelly Clarkson being one of those”, I say

“I don’t know what you are talking about, Liz. I heard it on the radio the other day, and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head. That’s all”, she defends herself. Just then I see something sticking out under my seat, I pick it up and see the Kelly Clarkson cover and can’t hide my smirk, I quickly covered it with my hand… the smirk that is.

“Yeah...okay, I was just saying, you were suppose to be this world worn dark soul, and you’re now listening to pop music, what next? You’re going to tell me that you’re a fan of American Idol”, I say with glee, but when I look at her she keeps her eyes on the road, and her expression is blank.

“Maria...tell me it isn’t so...”, I sigh.

“What?”, she asks innocently. Oh, we’re doing the denial thing again.

Okay fine, I’ll drag it out of her. “I personally loved Season two”, I say and was all I had to say before she crashed and burned. She’s so easy to trap.

“NO WAY, Ruben didn’t deserve to win, it was all fixed... Clay should have won! He had the better voice!”, she shouted and then quickly covered her mouth.

“Not a fan huh? Then what’s this?”, I say as I hold up the Kelly Clarkson CD.

“Damn!”, she exclaims, “It started out as a guilty pleasure... and now I’m sad to say... I’m a little obsessed now that they’re on their tenth season of the show.”

“You should go on it”, I say in a serious tone. I’m not kidding she has an amazing voice.

“No… Liz that ship has come and gone”, she insists and I decide to drop the matter.

“Fine, whatever......”, I say, “I can’t believe that you’re a Clay-Mate...”, I start to laugh at the thought of her as a wannabe American Idol.

“Shut up!”, she shrieked and she was quite the rest of the way home. Victory!

TBC................

Songs used:
* Unreachable~ By: Ashlee Simpson <--- Inspired this story
*The trouble with love is by: Kelly Clarkson
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 3

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Great part......
So Kyle isn't going to reenlist.......
And he drops the bomb on Liz.
She doesn't know how lucky she really is!
Kyle has been lying for years, but I love Liz's comeback of "short equipment"
Still anxious for the big reunion!!
LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 4

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Chapter 4: Since you’ve been gone

[Roswell)
Max POV

Well I arrived in Roswell late last night, which was a lot later than I had planned. The driver of the U Haul truck got lost, and I had to go navigate him back on right road. That itself took an extra three hours. Being back in Roswell has its up- and downsides. An upside is that I already know everyone… a downside would be that I only live ten minutes away from my parents. Well, I guess that’s a general downside of living in a small town. I’ve already gotten two calls from my mom, one from my dad, one from Isabel, and, luckily, none from Michael… but the day is still early so who know who the hell is going to call next. Even though it’s only 8:30AM; with my parents you never really. The one thing I’m most glad for though is that tomorrow will be my first day on the job at Hope Memorial as one of Roswell newest and finest doctors. …I’m kidding, jeez! I can’t even make a small joke without coming across as conceited. When I hear a familiar song starting to echo though my ears, I quickly reach in my pocket, dig out my cell and groan just before I answer it. I hate being right.

“Hello Dear, I wanted to know if you’re settling in okay?”, Diane asked on the other end. Yep, you guess it: my mother...again… for the third time, this morning alone.

“Mom, you do realize this is the third time you called me today, right? It’s still the same”, I say as I roll my eyes and continue to unpack my clothes, and starting to put them away.

“Don’t you dare mock me, mister!”, she says warningly, “You never know… something might have happened, causing things to change” I roll my eyes again as she continues to ramble on and on. The only positive point of a conversation like this is the overwhelming relief when she hangs up again. I swear I am eternally thankful for the days I am away from her, otherwise I swear my head id gonna explode. Okay, so maybe it won’t actually explode...but you get the idea.

“Okay, Mom...can you skip ahead to the reason why I’m getting your call?”, I say. She always trails off into this cloud of nowhere after she starts to ramble. I know she’s getting older… it must be affecting her memory.

“Right, well, I was just talking to your sister. Do you know she’s flying in tomorrow?”, she asks. Maybe she should get something checked up by her doctor because I swear that we had this conversation an hour ago.

“Yes mom, I know...I’m picking her up from the airport. Remember?”, I say. What was the point of this conversation again?

“Oh yes, now I remember. She sounded happy. Did she sound happy when you talked to her? I think she had something on her mind when I called, and I---“, she continues. Is it just me, or did my mom’s rambling just seem to extend even more since I’ve come home.

“Mom...Mom! The point! Remember?”, I say loudly. Sorry, I know she’s my mother and all but this is the third time I’ve had this conversation with her today. God, it’s like this conversation is never going to end; like I’m doomed to repeat the same conversation with my mother for all eternity.

“Well, we just wanted to throw everyone a welcome home party. After all, in a way you all are coming home and everything is set for this Friday night. I was just wondering if there was someone you wanted to bring...you know someone special. Like a girl. I know you just broke up with someone... but that doesn’t mean that you have to spend the night alone”, she says. Did I mention my mother is not exactly a big fan of Tess. She always thought that something was going on. She never really said anything about it, but it has always been crystal clear to me.

“Mom...”, I sigh heavily before continuing, “I don’t particularly feel like asking anyone out to go to a family function right now. I just broke up with Tess. I told you that and I can’t believe you’re already trying to set me up with someone else. It hasn’t even been a week”, I say. I know what her response is going to be though...it’s always been the same whenever I would go through a break-up, hence that was only one time before.

“Max dear, but it’s time to move on...she did...why can’t you?”, she says. She’s so predictable, but I really don’t feel like sitting here for a lecture, hang up...hang up. Wait, I can’t just hang up on my mom...she’ll kill me. Think fast, Evans.

“I’m not brining home a girl Mom, that’s the end of this discussion. I have to go“, I quickly say but before I could hang up she says something really quick that has me regretting my words.

“Fine, if you aren’t going to bring anyone, I’ll just have to find a girl for you...see you Friday night...oh, and don’t wear those college t-shirts you usually wear; it might turn the girl off”, she says. I can honestly hear her giggle on the other end. Great! What kind of bullshit did I just get myself into?

“Wait... mom, who are you inviting?”, I ask but she didn’t answer me; the only answer I got was the dial tone.

I hang up the phone. Great... this is just what I need; a blind date, from my mother of all people. And in case you didn’t get it, that was me being sarcastic. My mother sure knows how to get her way. When she really wants something, you’d better get out of her way.

I look around the house at all the boxes and drop myself on the couch, escaping in thoughts for awhile before I pick myself back up and start to get everything organized, preferably before the day is over.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

[Arizona)
Tess POV

“Hello?”, I ask as I pick up the phone. Hearing his voice on the other end sends butterflies through my stomach and makes my heart race.

“Yeah, I’m almost there...I was just caught in traffic...yep...see you in a bit. Love you too. Bye”, I say as I hang up my cell phone and head to the hotel room that I arranged us to meet at. As I continue driving, my mind wonders years back.

I was just about to talk to Kyle when he pulled Pam Troy out to the hallway, and started what looked like a lover’s quarrel. I couldn’t help but eavesdrop... she was my best friend after all… oh who am I kidding, she would do the same with me if she had the chance. Besides, I kinda liked Kyle; liked as in, we had fun together after school that is. I mean, he had a girlfriend, and I had a boyfriend so we never really admitted our feeling for one another, but I cared for him and I know he cared for me. Yes, let’s just put it that way, it sounds friendlier.

“What are you doing Kyle? I can’t talk right now...they are going to call the king and queen right now. I’m sorry but I can’t do this right now. It’s the highlight of the entire prom” Pam said as she started to walk back into the dance hall when Kyle pulled her back

“No Pam, stay! You have to tell me what you told Tess… I mean about us”, Kyle whispered fiercely.

“What do you care?...I thought you were with cute little Parker. Don’t you love her?”, she said in a sarcastic tone. “Besides, I know what happened between us was just sex—nothing more. Besides how do you think my boyfriend would feel that we slept together after the victory dance last week”, she rambled on as I felt my face drop… but then again, I wasn’t exactly one to talk... I slept with a college guy at the after party. Someone definitely not my boyfriend.

“Will you shut up...I told you never to bring that up again. As far as I know it never happened. I don’t want you to spread anything around school okay, it’ s bad enough it got this far, but if Liz finds out I’m...I—“, he said with a worried look, like his ass was on the line if Liz found out... or maybe he meant me, I wasn’t sure exactly.

“What? Like Liz even cares...she’s so lost in a world that’s so far shoved up her ass that she doesn’t even know what is real and what she wants to believe is real. Believe me, I don’t want to brag about this even more that you do“, she said, rolling her eyes. I choose that moment to reveal myself.

“Pam...there you are...I’ve been looking all over for you. They are just about to call the King and Queen”, I said as excitedly as I could.

The look on Kyle’s face was just as priceless as Pam’s. “What’s wrong? It’ looks like the two of you just seen a ghost?”, I said, looking at them more closely now.

“Oh, nothing...Kyle and I were just talking, but where finished now...C’mon girlie...I just know that you and Max are going to be named King and Queen I can feel it inside of me”, Pam told me as she grabbed my hand and we rushed back inside, leaving Kyle standing there looking like the dope I know he must have felt like.

So, yeah...of course me and Max were named king and queen of Prom 2002. Things were looking up… the only thing was that I was late, and hadn’t slept with Max or Kyle in weeks. That meant I had a serious problem on my hands. And to top that all of, I did the stupidest thing I could have done in that situation… I talked to Pam about it.

Big mistake.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Liz POV

It’s been a total of forty-eight hours, thirty minutes and God knows how many seconds since I walked away from Kyle Valenti. At first I was fine; I didn't say anything except good riddance and I tried to just move on. But now it's really sinking in that I just got dumped by a coward who lied to me for ten years, never telling me that he didn’t love me, and didn't even care about me. It's all those things that keep racing through my head. God, how could I have been so stupid? I know it's silly to be pining over him… but I haven’t been out of this house since that evening. Maria's gonna to be really pissed when she comes home tonight and finds me in the same position than when she left… but I just can't get myself to stand up.

“Lizzie? Where are you?”, she shouts through the apartment. I know she's not really looking for me. Let me explain Maria's usual routine; come home, read her mail, get comfortable, and then come and look for me. But this time, I hear footsteps coming up the stairs; it looks like Maria is breaking her habit. Not wanting to deal with an angry Maria, I quickly throw the blanket over my head and pretend to be asleep… not that that will fool her.

“Liz Parker, you’re still in bed!”, she shouts. Notice the rise of her voice, that tells me she's mad, in fact she just shouted with such a force that I'm actually startled by her... okay no use to use a euphemism, she scares the crap out of me right now. Maybe if I don't say anything, pretend to be asleep and keep my head under the covers

“I know you’re not asleep. Get out of there this instant”, she shouts. Well, there goes that plan. She's really annoying me right now; she's acting like she’s my mother or something. Whoa! She's pulling the blanket off me and throws it on the floor.

“What did you do that for?”, I say in an upset tone. Well sorry, but I'm upset... not because I'm lazy and don’t wanna get up, but I look like crap, the day i9s already gone, and I have to go bed in a few hours again anyways.

“Because Liz, this is not you. You never wallow over a man for more than a day. Why is this so different? You didn’t even love him”, she says. I look at her and roll my eyes. I can’t believe she would bring up the word LOVE and the whole can of worms it will bring up.

“Okay, so you did love him, but how can you now; knowing that he never really loved you back in the first place?”, she says. Someone kill me now. I know Maria... and I’m screaming inside my head. Do I really need to hear this? Well, maybe I do. Maybe it’s just what I need to snap my butt back into shape. But instead, I try to reach for the blanket that she tossed on the floor and I fall right on my ass. It hurts.

“Ow”, I laugh as I try to get up.

“What?”, I ask. She’s looking at me in a funny way; there’s something going through that eager little brain of hers.

“I know what you need Liz...”, she says as she smiles devilishly as she yanks me out of the room and forces me into the restroom.

“Take a shower Liz, we are going to have a girls night out...we are going to take revenge on every guy in Roswell, New Mexico”, she sternly tells me as she throws a towel at me, and continued to push me further into the restroom before she closes the door behind me.

“Who’s we?”, I yell from inside the enclosed room.

“Don’t worry Parker... would I ever steer you wrong? Just freshen up and I’ll take it from here”, she just says. What the hell is she up to, and why do I have the feeling that I’m in the middle of it? Damn I knew I should’ve gone to work today! I sigh as I step under the shower and turn on the water.

“Hello? Serena, what are you doing tonight?”, I hear Maria on the phone in the other room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Roswell)
Max POV

I didn’t feel like cooking so what would make more sense than go to the Crashdown Café? It's really amazing how everything still looks the same, right down to the last fixture.
When the waitress comes and takes my order, I notice the uniforms haven’t changed either. It's not Liz, but just seeing everything just brings back memories… one in particular. You see we had a tradition that every year before the next school year began, we would come here and just hang out. We would have our own party to help celebrate a new school year… but the last time I was here we were having a farewell party because the gang was splitting up; everybody was going to various colleges across the country.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I remember that everyone else had gone, and I was helping Liz clean up but at some point, I just stood there and watched her. I felt the pull she had on me and I knew that this would be my last moment with her. All the while, I kept thinking to myself, ‘make your move Evans!’. I pulled away from my stare and continued to help her clear some more dishes, she told me to stop countless times, but I never listened. I didn’t know just how I was going to say good-bye to her, but then a familiar song started to play on the radio—and much to her amazement as to mine I took her in my arms.

“Max, what are doing? I have to clean—this place is a mess!” The way she shrieked out, brought a smile to my face.

“Dance with me...one dance, and I’ll let you do what you must”, I laughed a little as she gave in and wrapped her arms around my neck and we started to dance.

I've been searching for you
I heard a cry within my soul
I never had a yearning quite like this before
Now that you are walking right through my door

As we danced, I pressed my body against her. She smelled so sweet like heaven. I wanted to hold her like this forever, I knew I loved her, but she was still with Kyle. But I stopped my thoughts of that I put them back in this moment.

All of my life
Where have you been
I wonder if I'll ever see you again
And if that day comes
I know we could win

The awkward silence was getting the best of both of us and she was the first to break the silence.
“Max...so are you ready for college?”, she said, smiling up at me, and I could swear that my heart skipped a beat.
“It’s going to be strange...not being able to see you everyday. So, you’re going to California with Maria?”, I asked. I know I could have come up with a better question than that, but my words were stuck in my mind and I let out all the stupid ones first.

A sacred gift of heaven
For better worse wherever
And I would never let somebody break you down
Or take your crown, never

I saw that she smiled before replying, “Yep...She’s going to Los Angeles, while I’m going further North. I got accepted to Berkley, they have a good Science department. It’s not Harvard, but it’s cool. At least I get to out of here”, she laughed as we continued to dance; our bodies moving as one.

All of my life
Where have you been
And if that day comes
I know we could win

“I’m going to miss you Parker... we’ve gotten really close over the years… I just wanted you to know that”, I smiled as she blushed slightly.
“I am also sorry for everything as well”, I said but I didn’t quite look at her when I said that.

I've searched through time, I've always known
That you where there, upon your throne
A lonely queen, without her king
I've longed for you, my love forever

“Eh, what do you mean? Max?” The more she looked at me with those beautiful brown eyes the more I wanted to make her mine. I wanted to claim her but she was taken, and I was as well. I just wished I had more time.

All of my life
Where have you been
And if that day comes
I know we could win
All of my life
Where have you been

“You know, for everything...for the way I treated you in fifth grade, the way I let Tess and Pam get away with mocking you and the for never telling you that... I-I love you”, I said, so softly that I thought that maybe she wouldn’t hear me.

And if that day comes
I know we could win
All of my life
Where have you been
And if that day comes
I know we could win

”What? Y-You love me?”, she said in shock. Still, I was as shocked as she was... and I was the one who said it.

“W-when did this happen?”, she asked as she started her interrogation on me. I nervously scratched behind my ear and started to answer her.

”Oh, about in the fifth grade...when I learned that girls didn’t really have cooties”, I said stifling a laugh. I then looked into her eyes and smiled. I cupped her face in my hands.

“The thing is Liz, I have always loved you... and I always will. It’s just taken me up until now to figure it out, and now that we’re leaving...I don’t know when I’m going to see you again”, I said softly. Having said that, I kissed her. It was the mother of all kisses; I felt it all the way down to my toes and I never ever wanted it to end, the magic was all there, but then reality settled in… this could never be.

We both pulled away breathless.

“I’m sorry Liz...for everything...”, I repeated breathlessly

Just then my cell phone rang, and it read Tess. I didn’t want to pick it up, but just then, Kyle walked into the room. “Liz, there you are...I’ve been trying to call you”, he said. I looked at him and smiled at Liz as she tried to open her mouth to say something

I wouldn’t let her. “It’s okay, I was about to go anyway... gotta pack up my stuff... nice seeing you Kyle... good luck with the military. I’ll be seeing you Liz, keep in touch”, I quickly said and after I smiled at her once more, I walked out and drove away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sad to say, that was the last time I saw her or even talked to her for that matter. Ten years have past and I never really got over her. I drowned in the lies of Tessina Harding.

I paid for my food and the service, leaving a generous tip and I start heading home. I hope there’s more to Roswell than in the past.

[Roswell )
Liz POV

“Maria, I don’t wanna go... why can’t I just wallow on my own?”, I plead. I seriously don’t want to go out in the club scene. Of all places to be after a break-up, that would be the last place I want to go. We’re not alone though… Maria has perused our closest friend from work to come with us. So now, both Serena and Maria are dressing me up for a night on the town at Roswell’s hottest club: the Eraser Room. I feel like I’m some friggin dress-up Barbie.

“No, Liz. Your way doesn’t work. This way we can ogle guys and still get our kicks doing it. C’mon it’ll be fun! We can even sing karaoke; you have a great voice Liz... even if I’m the only one who knows it”, she says. I don’t like to brag about it, but I do know how to sing. I even tried out for the school choir in junior high, but chickened out for my solo and never sang in public after that. Okay, that’s not making me feel better.

“So what? You’re the one that had the record deal… besides, that wasn’t your secret to tell”, I say as I roll my eyes. She just shrugs.

“Wow. Ria I didn’t know you had a record deal”, Serena voices out. To tell you the truth… with all our bickering I almost forgot that she was here.

“Yes I did, but tonight is not about me... it’s about Liz. So, shall we ladies?”, she asks as we made our way to a table. While Maria is at the bar ordering drinks, Serena keeps asking questions about the other night with Kyle and the more I tell her, the more she hates him. Now if I repeat that about fifty times, she might be where I am now.

When Maria comes back at the table, she immediately corners me. “Okay, Liz you have to sing a song... it’s Karaoke, how cans you not?”, she says. I knew this was coming... just because I can sing doesn’t mean I have to flaunt it.

“That’s easy, because I don’t want to, that’s how”, I say with a smirk. But I don’t even get a chance to forget that Maria knows my weakness; she starts begging and pleading and when Serena starts to follow her lead I know I’m not gonna last long.

“FINE”, I shriek, just to get them to shut up. God, they can be so annoying when they want to be… and tonight, they obviously want to.

“…but you have two have to sing one with me”, I quickly add, pointing at them just to give the effect that I was serious, and I wasn’t playing around.

“I’m in”, Serena states first and I smile in approval and turn back towards Maria to hear what she has to say.

“Parker, here’s the deal. You have to sing one by yourself and we’ll sing one together”, she says. That fiery spunk is in her eyes again, and I know that means she has something up her sleeve.

“Only if I get to pick the song”, I add to the deal. She looks disappointed; she must have wanted to pick the song.

“Deal, DeLuca?”, I say, calling her by her last name like she did with me and I hold out my hand to her. She looks at it for a moment before taking it.

“It’s a deal, Parker”, she says in defeat.

I smile at her. “Cool, now I think I should say something...”, I say, holding up my glass to say a toast or something like that. “Okay, here is to all the men we loved...and don’t need them now, nor will we ever need them again”, I say as I raise my glass. “Cheers!”

We all drink up... this is already my second glass and I’m still not the slightest bit buzzed.

“Maria what kind of drink is this?”, I ask. It tastes good, what is wrong with that picture?

“It’s called, ‘You have to go to work tomorrow.’”, she answers and I rolled my eyes… my eyes are getting a lot of training lately, I realize… there was no alcohol in it. I hate it when she does that. Now, that I have to sing in front of everyone sober. Oh well, I figure I’ll get the solo-singing out of the way first.

“I’m going to sing...so excuse me ladies”, I say as I move towards the stage and they smile at me. Looking through the catalogue of songs, I tell the person in charge and say a few words before I start the song.

“I’d like to thank my dear friend Maria for introducing me to this artist I’m going to be singing a song of, and I’d like to thank my ex-fucking boyfriend for making me feel every word of it!”, I told them as the women in the club cheered on. The music started to play and every started to clap to the very familiar tune.

Here's the thing we started off friends
It was cool but it was all pretend
Yeah yeah
Since U Been Gone

The ladies really seem to get into the song; singing and laughing along. To tell you the truth I’m a little surprised at that. But I keep my emotions tuned to the lyrics of the song. The more I get into it the more they love it.

You dedicated you took the time
Wasn't long till I called you mine
Yeah Yeah
Since U Been Gone

And all you'd ever hear me say
Is how I pictured me with you
That's all you'd ever hear me say

But Since U Been Gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so movin on
Yeah yeah
Thanks to you
Now I get
What I want
Since U Been Gone

I look over to Serena and Maria at one point and they are in the same state as everyone else. They didn’t know I had that kind of power inside of me. I didn’t know either; I’m more surprised of myself than anything else. I don’t know if it had something to do about believing in myself or some crap but I just know that for the first time, the real Liz Parker was coming out of her shell. And I like it.

How can I put it? you put me on
I even fell for that stupid love song
Yeah yeah
Since U Been Gone

How come I'd never hear you say
I just wanna be with you
I guess you never felt that way

But Since U Been Gone
Im so movin on
Yeah yeah
Thanks to you
Now I get
I get what I want
Since U Been Gone

”Yeah! You go Liz!!” Maria shrieks out in a loud voice as she continues to dance to the beat. I look around the room and notice that even the bartenders seemed to be into it. That was not common; usually they ignored the singers and went to there daily job like nothing was happening.

You had your chance you blew it
Out of sight, out of mind
Shut your mouth I just can't take it
Again and again and again and again

I really belt out this part, but only because Kelly Clarkson did in her version. I want to keep to the original, mainly because I don’t know how my voice is supposed to be represented as. I haven’t sung out loud in front of people for decades; singing in front of Maria not counting.

Since U Been Gone
I’m so movin on
Yeah yeah
Thanks to you (thanks to you)
Now I get
I get what I want
I’m so movin on
Yeah yeah

It’s amazing to see just how many people are out of their seats, and dancing. I never knew that I could attract such a crowd. I try to keep my mind off of it, because the more I think, the more I lose the words of the song.

Thanks to you (thanks to you)
Now I get (I get)
You should know (you should know)
That I get
I get what I want
Since U Been Gone
Since U Been Gone
Since U Been Gone

Once I finished the last line, everyone was on there feet cheering me on. Some where yelling for me to sing another, but instead I said my thank-yous and depart from the stage. I can’t believe I actually feel better after that, like something has been lifted off my shoulders and I can actually breathe again. The real Liz Parker is back; there is no turning back.

“You rocked the house Chica!!”, Maria exclaims as I reach our table.

“You had fun, didn’t you? I know you did, it’s written all over your face”, she says and for once I have to admit something to her, something that doesn’t happen very often.

“You’re right Maria... I actually did have fun”, I smile as I had another, ‘going to work’ drinks.

For the next hour or so, we talk about everything... guys, normal crushes, high school crushes... and then, the topic of Max is brought up by Maria.

“Kyle was the only guy I was serious about... but I did have crushes... c’mon every girl did”, I say, I smiling because the image of Max pops into my mind.

“Who’s Max?”, Serena asks as Maria rolls her eyes, but I ignore her and keep to my day dream.

“Oh god, don’t get me started on Maxwell Evans, Mr. Popularity of West Roswell High School. Quarterback of the football team, Captain of Baseball, Football, Basketball, the debate team... for goodness sake. Oh, and the most handsome guy on Earth, according to Parker”, Maria says, smirking at me as Serena’s eyes jerk back towards me.

This is when I snap out of my daydream. “What?”, I ask them. Yes, I know, I should’ve been paying attention.

“Don’t give us that...spill, will you”, Serena urges. At this moment I decide to tell them what I’ve been holding near and dear to my heart up until I found out that Tess was pregnant a little bit after graduation. I’m going to tell them. I really am… maybe.

“It’s nothing, Serena... Max and Liz were just friends nothing else... right Liz”, Maria says casually and I automatically let my mind wander as I look down at my drink. You know, I wonder if this drink in front of me is pink or orange. I can’t tell with this lighting.

“Right Liz?”, Maria urge for me to answer.

“Does this drink look more pinkish than orange?”, I ask them and I can see Maria’s eyes physically widen. Her mouth falls open to say something but I cut her off before she can say anything.

“Okay, Okay...there may have been a tiny situation where we kissed and he told me he loved me”, I say in one quick breath... so fast that I’m barely understandable, and I quickly try to change the subject.

“So, Serena...what about you?”, I cautiously ask but immediately, I can tell that my trick wasn’t good enough. I should have known Maria wouldn’t fall for it.

“Why didn’t you tell me? ME, your best friend! Liz?”, she asked, visibly hurt that I never told her. I honestly don’t know why I kept it a secret all these years.

“I don’t know... it was the night of our farewell party. We danced to that Lenny Kravitz song; Again”, I say

“Oh... I love that song”, Maria sighs out, and I silently agree.

“He kissed me and said that he loved me...always have, always will”, I explain as I play with the straw in my drink, pushing around the cherries.

“Aw, that’s so sweet”, Serena answers.

“So, what did you say to him, Liz?”, Maria asks. I don’t know what to say here.

“I was about to tell him that I loved him too, but Kyle walked in and he left and I went by his house after graduation to find he’d already left and that’s when I found out that Tess was pregnant with his child and I kind of let go of my feeling for him since then, but a part of me still loves him”, I say as I sigh heavily. I wonder what his reaction would have been if I told him that I loved him before he left to NYU.

“That asshole”, Maria hisses out, and I can’t resist a giggle, just by looking at her face... you would too.

“Yeah, well I haven’t heard or seen Max since... I wonder if he’s going to the reunion?”, I wonder out loud. I know that if he comes, Tess will come also, and I definitely don’t want to face that hoe.

“Excuse me miss”, a cocktail waitress interrupts our conversation.

“A chocolate martini, compliments of the gentleman”, she says and I look over to where she points it out. I thank her and without turning back I walked over to where... yep you guessed it… my ex-boyfriend is sitting with some redhead I’ve never seen before. I’m currently counting all the ways he could die right there on the spot, every one of them equally unlikely.

“Hello Liz, Well, I’d like to say that I’m honored that you sang a song in my honor. I didn’t know you could sing like that”, he says. From any other person, I would have taken that as a compliment but not with Kyle. I can’t believe this fucker; he’s really starting to get on my nerves.

“How long have you been here?”, I demand for him to answer, I’m sick and tired of his bullshit.

“Since before you ladies walked in the door. Did you miss me? Is that why you’re here... because if you’re still open to that friends with benefits thing… the offer is still open”, he says with that fucking annoying grin on his face. That’s it...that’s it!!!

“Shut up, you stupid imbecile! I just came over here to tell you to go to hell. I. Fucking. Hate. You!”, I hiss and with that I throw the contents of my drink in his face. Too bad he didn’t order me hot coffee.

“And I hope you rot in it, you bastard!”, his date screamed. Well, just be lucky you’re seeing the real Kyle Valenti this soon instead of ten years later. He quickly storms off after her, but I ‘accidentally’ trip him and his face slams into the ground.

“You’re worthless, you know that?...just worthless”, I quietly tell him just so he could hear. I then go back to my table with a huge grin on my face.

“Bring on the drinks. Keep mine Virgin!”, I add. The bartender laughs and nods and I turn back to the girls. “Tonight is about living it up and I intend to do just that”

All the way home that night we keep singing the song we sang before we left the bar, ‘I will survive’; yeah the one by Diana Ross. With all that laughing and singing... I have to admit I did have fun tonight, and I’m glad that the real me is back and here to stay.

TBC..............

Songs used:

Since You’ve Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson
Again by Lenny Kravitz
* to see the video of the Lenny Kravitz song...
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unreachable AU (M/L) CC/UC (repost) Chapter 4

Post by keepsmiling7 »

LOL.,..........Max's mother checking on him three times one morning.
Glad Tess is out of the picture.......hope she stays that way!