Wrong Side of the Tracks - AU CC TEEN - Ch 24B [COMPLETE]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

**CHAPTER 21**

Post by linliz68 »

CHAPTER 21

'Hey, it’s Alex. You’ve reached the machine. Talk as long as you want.’

"Hey Alex..it’s..Isabel-"

"And Michael."

Isabel rolled her eyes. "Anyways, I know it’s short notice but the reason I’m..we’re calling is to invite you guys over tonight. We’re renting some movies, and since the ‘rents are out of town, we thought it’d be fun instead of being stuck here with nothing to do. So, bring food-"

"Junk food."

"And any movies you want to bring, and possibly a change of cloths, depending on how late you want to stay."

"Plus, we have a pool."

"Michael, shut up." Isabel sighed. "Talk to you later, Alex."

Isabel hung up the phone, or more liked slammed the phone
down. "Great Michael, could you be any more rude?"

"What! It was just the machine, it wasn’t like you were actually talking to him."

Isabel rolled her eyes again. "Men!"

Just then the front door slammed shut, getting Michael and Isabel’s attention.

"Max!" Isabel yelled as she ran into the hallway.

"It’s too late. He’s leaving."

Isabel walked over to the window, and pulled back the curtain and watched as the Escalade pulled out of the driveway ‘Now where is he going?’ Isabel thought to herself.

"Did you know that he went out last night?" Michael asked.

"No, how did you know he left?"

"I didn’t. It was about 2 A.M. when I heard his door shut, so I assumed he
went out."

Isabel just sat on the bed. "Where do you think he went?"

Michael just scratched his head. "No clue. Probably went out for a drive to clear his head."

"Yeah."

"Alex, have you seen my-"

"Shhh"

‘So we’re just wondering if you guys want to hang out-‘

"Is that Isabel?" Maria asked.

"Yeah, and Michael feels like he has to add his two cents about everything she’s saying." Alex said listening to the message. "What do you say?
Wanna hang out with them tonight?"

Maria thought it over. "What the hell, why not."

"Cool, I’ll call them back."

"And I’ll go tell Liz and see if she wants to go."

"Eh" Alex said cautiously.

"What?"

"Well, with everything that’s been happening, I figured the least I...we can do is give her one night to herself."

Maria didn’t say anything for a couple minutes. "I guess your right. I’ll go tell Liz where we’ll be just in case she needs anything and you go ahead and call them back."

Alex nodded his head, and watched as Maria left his room.

"Liz, babe?" Maria said walking into Liz’s room, and spotted her sister doing pull-ups in her closet door way.

"Yeah." Liz replied not even stopping or slowing down.

"Alex and I are going over to Max’s. Isabel invited us over."

"Cool. When do we leave?"

"Actually," Maria began." We’re going. I mean Alex and I both are going. We thought it’d be good for you considering everything that’s happened, we thought we’d give you the house to yourself for the night."

Liz pulled up one more time on the bar before dropping to her feet. She then grabbed the towel that was laying on the floor and wiped the sweat
off her face and neck. "So when’s this little get together?"

‘Ding Dong’

"Today...uh...tonight."

"Oh well, yippee for me. I get the whole house to myself."

"Hey, I won’t go if you don’t-"

"No, I want you to go. Alex, too." Liz said liking the idea of being alone more and more.

"Maria! They’re here. Let’s go." Alex yelled from downstairs.

"I’m coming." Maria yelled and then turned back towards Liz... "Just call my cell if you need anything."

"Yeah, I know the drill."

"How bout Max?"

Liz’s head shot back around towards her sister. "What bout Max?"

"Why don’t you call him and invite him over; Alex just bought The Butterfly Effect. You two could hang out and watch some movies. It’s what Al and I are going to be doing."

"Cool, maybe I will." Liz replied. "Now go. Have fun."

"Okay." Maria said, making her way towards the hallway. "Just remember-"

"Call if I need anything. I know."

Maria smirked and stuck out her tongue, and walked downstairs to meet up with Alex and the rest of the gang.

"Is Liz coming?" Isabel asks.

"No, we wanted her to-" Alex began.

"Rest. She’s very tired." Maria interrupted giving her brother a look.

"Cool. More junk food for us." Michael said. "Now, lets go."

"Yeah." Alex said glancing back towards Liz’s room one more time before closing the door.

"Oh my god, this is going to be so much fun." Maria said walking towards Michael’s jeep. Unaware of a pair of eyes watching them leave.

"So, what movies did you guys bring?" Michael asked pulling out of the driveway.

"The Italian Job, Freddy vs. Jason, and The Bourne Identity." Maria paused. "What movies you and Michael rent?"

"Enough, Barbershop, and Barbershop 2."

"Cool. Can’t wait."

Maria noticed how the scenery changed from they lived, to where Michael and them lived. How houses that seemed small and unnoticeable, now seem huge and in the way. She then saw this one house that took her breath away and realized that it was their house.

"Well, wait’s over."

As soon as the Jeep pulled up and came to a complete stop, Maria and Isabel hopped out and linked arms as they made their way towards the front door.

"I am so glad you’re here, Maria. Without you here, I’d be stuck with those two." Isabel nodded towards Alex and Michael.

"Yeah. Wait, Max isn’t here?" Maria asked.

Isabel rolled her eyes. "He took off about two hours ago."

"Oh."

"My other bonehead of a brother thinks it had something to do with the party."

"What do you mean?" Maria asked curiously.

Isabel sighed. "He broke up with Tess that night."

Maria jerked her head towards Isabel. "What! I mean, I thought they were the ‘it’ couple."

"Well, apparently Tess was cheating on my brother with Kyle."

Maria gasped at this information. "I knew something was going on with her. I mean, all the shit that Liz had to put up with-"

"How is Liz doing?"

"Eh, better than I thought she’d be, but my sister is a real fighter." Maria replied sincerely.

"That’s good. I just wish she could’ve come, you know. We could’ve at least out numbered the guys."

"Yeah, but we figured-"

"Maria." Alex interrupted sternly. "I mean, can’t you ladies hold the chit-chat until after the movies, and you might want to go ahead and get something to eat, before Michael eats it all."

Isabel saw Maria wince and figured she’d ask about it later.

"Yeah, we really should. My brother could eat you out of house and home. Trust me."

"Okay." Maria replied laughing. She began to follow Isabel into the kitchen when Alex grabbed her arm.

"Hey Iz, I’m gonna talk to Alex real quick."

"Okay, see you in a second."

"Yeah," Maria replied, then gave her brother a look saying ‘What’s up?’

"Did you realize what you almost said back there?" Alex said, getting angry.

"What? I didn’t say anything."

"Yet. You didn’t say anything yet. I mean, we don’t know these people, they don’t know anything about us. And I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to go telling these people about something that’s not even their business to begin with."

"Alex, calm down, please. I’m sorry." Maria said softly, her eyes getting misty.

Alex looked up and saw how his words were effecting his sister and all his anger diminished. "I’m sorry. I just..I just don’t want to relieve that experience. Especially since Liz has gotten so much better. I mean, all of us have gotten better, right?"

Maria used her shirt as a tissue and dabbed her eyes and took a deep breathe. "Yeah, your right."

"Hey is every-" Michael asked walking into the living room, and stopped, noticing how Maria was.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. Everything’s fine."

Maria slowly backed away from Alex and walked over towards Michael, who opened his arms to her.

"Come on babe, movie’s about to start, and I managed to save you guys some food."

"Yeah." Maria whispered.

Alex followed behind them into the den, where Isabel was setting up the DVD player.

"So, what’s first?" Alex asked.

"Enough."

"Sorry for asking." Alex replied defensively.

Michael held back from laughing long enough to speak. "That’s the name of the movie, Alex."

Maria also laughed. "I think I’ve heard of it."

"Shhh it’s starting."

‘You waiting for someone?’

"Jennifer Lopez is hot."

"Excuse me?" Maria said.

"But…you’re hotter."

"Yeah. Nice save."

We see a guy nod his head no. ‘Okay. Then I’ll let you look over the menu-‘ The same man interrupts her. ‘It’s okay. I was here yesterday, Slim.’

"What kind of name is Slim?" Maria asks.

"I don’t know. Just watch the movie." Isabel says.

Alex watched as the title of the chapters appeared on the screen every five minutes. "How many mini-chapters are there? I mean, there was ‘To Have and To Hold’, ‘Conquering Hero’ Oww."

"Alex, please shut up and watch the movie." Isabel replied.

"Okay," Alex paused. "Oh this ‘More than Enough’ chapter should be interesting."

‘I sit here. I take care of your house and your kid. Well, no more Mitch. No more.’

‘Slim..’

‘No, I’m not going to do this anymore.’

‘Slim, calm down.’

‘No, I won’t calm down. Sorry, I love you yes, but you cannot do this. You can’t. You can’t. I won’t-‘

SMACK!!

‘What? I can’t hit you?’

‘No, you can’t.’

PUNCH!!

"Maria?" Michael asks, watching her get up and leave the Den.

Alex saw her leave and knew why, but he stayed and acted like it didn’t affect him. He also saw Michael leave, too.

"Baby, you okay?"

Maria turned around. "Yeah. I just wanted something to drink."

Michael noticed her eyes were red and puffy, but didn’t ask. He knew she’d tell him in her own time. He then hears what sounds like a table being broken and runs back into the den. Maria follows him.

Maria stops dead in her tracks when she sees the guy known as ‘Mitch’ beating the crap out of Jennifer Lopez.

"Oh my god!" Maria exclaims.

Alex had his eyes shut, but he could hear everything that was happening from the movie. His eyes then snapped open when he heard Maria. He immediately got up and ran to her and took her to the kitchen.

"It’s like it’s happening all over again, Alex."

"Shhh, it’s okay." Alex said soothingly. "It’s just a movie."

"It just keeps going over and over in my head, and I can’t stop it." Maria paused, practically holding onto Alex, like he’d disappear if she let go.

"Maria! Maria!" Michael yelled, running into the kitchen. He glanced from Alex to Maria. "Is she okay?"

Alex just nodded his head.

"Yeah, I’m fine." Maria replied and wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt, and put on a fake smile.

Unknown to any of them, that Max had entered the house through the back door and could hear yelling and headed toward the direction of the voices.

"Okay, I wasn’t going to push on the subject, but what the hell is going on?"

Maria looked over to Alex, as if asking him for help. All Alex could do was shrug his shoulders.

"I’d like to know that, too."

Maria reconized the voice and turned around and was looking at none other then Max Evans.

T. B. C...................

Author’s note:

I’m actually working on chapter 22 right now, so it’ might take me a little longer to post my new chapter. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 22

Post by linliz68 »

Chapter 22

"Max? Is that you? Isabel asked walking into the kitchen. As soon as she walked in, she could feel the tension, which felt like a war zone.

"What’s going on guys?"

"That’s what we’re trying to figure out, Iz." Michael said, never taking his eyes off of Alex and Maria.

"We have nothing to say." Alex replied firmly.

"Like hell you do." Michael began. "Something is bothering Maria that you’re covering up and I think I have a right to know."

"Michael." Max said.

"Not now."

"Michael!" Max said raising his voice, which he rarely did.

"What!"

Max moved in closer, carefully eyeing Maria and Alex. He knew that this had nothing to do with them and everything to do with whatever happened to Liz. He also knew that had something to do with Justin.

"Whose Justin?" Max asked.

"Who?" Isabel asked, getting more confused by the minute.

"Justin Ames." Max said his name again, looking directly at Maria, knowing Alex wouldn’t tell him as easily.

Maria’s face paled and Alex literally had to hold onto her to keep her from fainting.

When Max got no answer, he decided to press on. "I know he has something to do with whatever you're hiding."

"Max, what are you talking about?" Isabel asked, while Michael nodded
his head, wondering the very same thing.

"Maria," Alex whispered, ignoring the other people in the room and focusing solely on his sister. "Are you okay enough to walk?"

Michael noticed how Maria was looking and put aside his anger to help her. As he made his way towards her, Alex cut him off.

"Don’t come near her."

"Alex." Maria whispered.

Alex focused on his sister. He knew she rarely got like this, and he knew how to handle this situation. He began rubbing her back to try to get her breathing back to normal.

"Maria?" Alex asked again.

He knew he had to get her mind off of this and focus on other things.

When he saw her look at him, he knew he had her attention.

"What’s my name?"

"Alex Parker."

"What’s today?"

"Friday"

Each answer coming out in whispers but he could tell she was calming down. He’d done this for Liz too many times to count. He could hear her breathing become more stable as the seconds went by.

"Wha-what’s happening to her?" Michael asked, worried.

"She’s having what you call, a panic attack."

"And what would you call it?" Isabel asked.

"Something that’s normal for me and something you wouldn’t understand."

"Are you going to answer me?" Max asked yet again.

Alex looked straight at Max as if to tell him he knows what he’s trying to do and it’s not working.

"Forget it." Max said and headed towards the front door.

"Max."

He turned around at the sound of his name being called. He was shocked none the less to find that it was Maria wanting his attention. He watched as she forced herself to walk, as her hands held onto whatever they could. He walked towards her and helped her ease onto the sofa. He could also tell she was breathing hard again, and that she was trying to tell him something.

"Not..not our-"

"Maria, you’re not making any sense."

She looked up at him and thought she looked as normal as she did the first time he met her.

"It’s not our secret to tell, and I think you know that." Maria paused. "Go to her, Max. She needs you."

Max felt that, that was all that he needed. As soon as he heard that, he was already half way out of the house when he made a complete U-turn and stuck his head back inside the house.

"Thanks Maria."

Maria just smiled and prayed that Liz would open up and be with Max, like she knew her sister wanted to be.

"Okay, will someone tell me what’s going on?" Michael asked.

Maria gathered all the strength she had left and looked up at Michael. She let her hand caress his cheek.

"Believe me when I tell you this." Maria paused, taking a deep breathe. "It’s not our secret to tell."

"What does sh-" Isabel gasped. "It’s Liz."

I don’t want to be anything other then what I’ve trying to be lately.
All I have to do is think of me and I have piece of mind.

The faint sounds of Gavin Degraw’s "I don’t want to be" could be heard as Max opened the door to Liz’s house. He knew he should’ve called, but he didn’t want to, for fear that she’d not be here.

So, here he was, slowly ascending the stairs to her room. He reached the top step and didn’t see any movements inside her room through the cracked bedroom door. Max slowly pushed the door open and could see steam coming from the bathroom. ‘Great, she’s taking a shower. That’s just what I need.’ Max thought to himself.

He then heard what sounded like a sniffle and walked towards the bathroom. He knew he shouldn’t have but he didn’t listen. What he did see, almost brought tears to his eyes.

There was Liz, sitting down in the far corner of the tub, fully clothed with her knees pulled close to her chest. Her head was turned away from him and he could tell she was crying. Her tears were mixing with the spray of the shower.

"Liz" Max whispered as a tear slid down his cheek.

Liz knew she should’ve locked the front door, or her room for that matter, but she knew that this day was coming. Right now she felt exhausted.
As soon as she heard her name, Liz knew she couldn’t run anymore. She didn’t want to. She wanted him to know her past. She wanted him to know her. She wanted him to love her. She turned to face him and all the pain she had felt for the last three years came to the surface.

"I am so-sorry, Max."

"Shhh, it’s okay baby." Max said and almost instantly was knocked off his feet, when he felt her hold onto him. He felt her warmth, through the wet cloths. He tilted her face to where she would look at him.

"I’m not going anywhere. I promise. All I ask, is for you to let me in. Let me see you." Max said barely above a whisper what he's been wanting to say since the first time he met her. "I love you."

Liz stiffened and slowly pulled away. "Wha-what did you say, Max?"

Max brought his hand up to caress her soft cheek, brushing a strand of hair off her forehead. "I...love...you, and I want to be with you, but I need to know, Liz. Please let me help you."

Liz took a deep breathe, knowing it was tell him now or lose him forever. She opened her mouth to speak, when Max cut her off.

"You want to change out of those wet cloths?"

Liz blushed. "Yeah, I guess it would be the right thing to do."

Liz got up and walked to her dresser and opened the top drawer to get underwear and socks. Then the drawer below it, to retrieve a long sleeve shirt and soft pajama pants. She walked into the bathroom and closed the door. She then discarded all her wet cloths and changed. The pants were slightly baggier then the last time she wore them. She opened the door and moved to the bed and sat down Indian-style.

"Where would you like me to start?"

Max didn’t exactly know where he wanted her to begin. "Just where you feel comfortable."

"Ookay."

Liz took a deep breathe to calm herself and to prepare herself, because she knew that once she started, she’d be back in that moment and the tears would come. Tears that had been locked up for too long.

"It..uh..started about 3 years ago. I had just started freshman year and Alex and Maria had started their sophomore year. We all had separate classes, which I thought was cool, you know, freedom from them...."

Flashback

‘Guys, I’ll be fine. It’s just high school.’ Liz told Alex and Maria.

Both Alex and Maria looked at each other, and knew there was no talking her out of this.

‘Fine.’ Alex replied.

‘Ahh! Great! Thanks!’ Liz said as she took off for her first class.

End flashback

"Then one day, during 2nd block, he came up to me...I still remember that day..." Liz trailed off as the memory became vivid in her mind.

Flashback

‘Is this seat taken?’

‘No’ I say without looking up.

‘I’m Justin.’

‘Liz.’

‘Do I get to see your face or just listen to that beautiful voice of yours?’

End Flashback

"I remember after that day we were inseparable. Of course, Alex and Maria did not like him, but I didn’t listen. Then came the day he asked me out. We’d been talking for about two months. When he asked me, I was shocked, because it was totally out of the blue."

Flashback

‘Hey Liz.’

‘Yeah?’

‘When’s this project due and would you like to go out with me?’

‘Friday, and what?’

‘Go out with me on Saturday.’

‘I can’t.’

‘Just a movie.’

‘Argh, fine.’

End Flashback

Liz took yet another deep breath. ‘Here goes the hard part.’

"Since then, we were together, none stop. Yet, Alex and Maria still didn’t like him. It was our three month anniversary, the first time he...it happened."

Flashback

‘Liz, I don’t feel like going out tonight.’

‘But Justin, its our 3 month ann-‘

The sting of the slap finally registered a second after it had happened. Liz didn’t realize she was crying till she felt the tears slide down her face.

‘I’m sorry, baby. I’m just tired.’ Justin said and pulled her into a hug.

End of Flashback

"That was the beginning. At first, it was little things, a slap on the face, grabbing my arm too tight to where a bruise would form. Those I could hide from Alex and Maria. The others I couldn’t."

Max sucked in a breath and moved closer towards her. "Others? What others?"

Liz took a deep breathe. "The black eyes, busted lip, bruised neck, bruises on my arms and legs. They begged me to leave him, but I didn’t listen. I always thought he would stop, but he didn’t. I eventually broke up with him, that’s when I found out that my parents had gotten a court order telling him to stay away from me. That’s what really set him off."
Liz didn’t realize she was shaking, until she felt Max’s arms surround her.

"Baby..it’s okay. I’m here." Max reassured her.

Max then lifted her face and kissed her softly on the lips.

The tears were falling more freely. "Please, Max. No more."

"Just let it out, Liz. Let it all out."

The next thing he heard was silence, then the loud piercing of her screams. He only held on tighter, as her screams slowly died down. He knew this was her time and that she needed to let all the anger and pain she had been feeling out.

"One night." Liz began. "He came by the house. Alex and Ria were upstairs, and I answered the door. It took merely seconds before they came running down the stairs but the damage had already been done..."

Liz slowly pulled away from him long enough to pull her shirt up halfway revealing a five maybe six inch scar across her rib cage. After she knew he saw it she let it fall, covering it up once again.

"Oh, God!" Max exclaimed.

"Two broken ribs, bruised wrist, black eye, busted lip and a mild concussion."

"Baby, look at me." Max said as he watched her slowly lift her head up. "I’m never, ever going to hit you. And I know you probably don’t believe me.."

"Shhh, Max this maybe hard to believe, but I believe you. Ever since I first met you, you’ve been nothing but kind and considerate, and showing nothing but love and care, and I...I love you."

He didn’t realize he was crying till his vision of Liz got blurry. He pulled her into a tight hug, holding onto her like he’d done many times before.

"Max, will you stay with me tonight?"

He looked at her thinking to himself, ‘How can I leave?’

"You know I will. I’ll stay as long as you need me."

T. B. C......
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 23

Post by linliz68 »

Thanks to everyone for reading this story. This only has about 2 more chapters and then I'm done and I'll be able to start on my new story. Thanks again everyone!!

Chapter 23

“So is someone going to tell me what’s going on?”

“Michael, chill.” Isabel said.

“No, I won’t. Not till I know what they’re hiding.”

“Michael!”

“God, you want to know! We’ll tell you!” Maria shouted. “Liz was nearly beaten to death 3 years ago! There, you happy! Feel better?!”

Maria walked up to Michael, more anger then ever before, and pushed him, hard.

“You feel better? Well, you have no fucking idea how it feels to see your sister go through hell, numerous hospital visits, and see her go back to that bastard every single time!”

“Maria.” Isabel chocked out.

“Isabel, don’t. She needs to get this out.” Alex said softly, yet at the same time, sternly.

“Maria.” Alex said wrapping his arms around her.

“No, no.”

Maria pushed and pushed at him. He grip only remained strong. She was now beating on his chest, crying uncontrollably.

“Why her! Alex, why! That bastard nearly killed her!”

“Shhh, it’s okay.” Alex said soothingly. “He’s not here, and she’s doing so much better here.”

Alex began to soothe her, by rubbing her back softly in circles, hearing her breathing slowly calm down, even as her sobs also died down.

“You see, we’re not as perfect as you are.” Alex began. “Try going to six emergency hospital visits during a span of one year, because some bastard gets his kicks beating someone up. Black eyes, busted lips, bruises on her arms and legs and that’s not the worst....”

“Alex.” Maria said trying to stop him.

“Maria, they should know.” Alex paused. “He came over one night, after Liz had broken if off with him, and what she didn’t know was that Maria and I had told our parents what he had been doing to her and they had gotten a court order for him to stay away...she didn’t scream, until we heard the crash. We ran downstairs and what we saw caused Maria to scream; he had thrown her onto the living room table. I tackled him just as he was about to pull out a knife, while Maria ran into the kitchen to call 911. I know I hurt him, because after I knocked him down, as he got up there was blood trickling down his cheek. I guess that’s when he decided to leave. I went up to Liz and saw that she had a gash on her rib cage about 5, maybe 6 inches long. He was finally caught and arrested. Liz was taken to the hospital where she stayed for over a week, and that’s when our parents decided to move us, and made sure we didn’t tell anyone, we only told our closest friends because they knew the situation and would make sure that he didn’t find out.”

It finally dawned on Michael why Maria had freaked earlier. “That’s why you freaked when you saw that guy beating up J. Lo.”

“To her, it was like watching it happen all over again.” Alex replied softly. “It freaked us all out. The whole damn thing did.”

“Look, I know I might sound rude, but we don’t have to watch movies, we can go swimming.” Michael said, trying to give Alex and Maria a chance to take a breather since they’ve been through a lot.

“Michael,” Isabel said in disgust. “Don’t you have any respect?”

“No, it’s cool. I understand why he’s doing it. He knows we really don’t feel like talking about it anymore and he knows that if we want to talk, we’ll talk.” Alex replied, nodding his head ‘thanks’ at Michael.

“No problem.”

“Just one more thing.” Maria said.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t pity her. When you’re around her, don’t treat her like glass that’s about to break. She hates that. She knows, that you now know about her, and she doesn’t expect you to treat her any differently.”

“I don’t know if I-“ Isabel said.

“You can and you will, unless you want to lose a friend you will. Maria and I have been with her since the beginning, if we can do it, you can do it.” Alex said. “Now I do remember hearing about a pool.”

Michael smiled. “Yeah. This way.”

“Thanks.”

The first rays of sunshine shown through Liz’s blinds as Max woke up. He looked around slightly confused to where he was, but then the events of last night flooded into his mind and he immediately turned his attention to the lovely creature sleeping beside him. He wondered if this was the first full night of sleep she’s had. Then an idea hit him. He slowly made his way out of the bed and slowly closed the door behind him as he made his way downstairs towards the kitchen.

After a search of the kitchen he found what he wanted; milk, soup, bread, cheese. He went to work. First, turning on the stove and adding the soup and milk together, stirring till well mixed. Then, he popped two pieces of bread into the toaster and went back to watching the soup. As the toast popped up, he added another two pieces. Max then went to the refrigerator, and took out a pitcher of tea and placed it on the tray he had already picked out moments earlier.

Taking the piece of cheese and unwrapping it, he placed in on a piece of toast and added the other piece on top. He repeated this process one more time, finishing the second grilled cheese as the soup was warm enough to eat. He opened up another cupboard and pulled out two bowls and poured the soup into both of them. Quickly cleaning up his mess before placing the bowls of soup, sandwiches, and pitcher of tea on the tray and slowly making his way back upstairs to surprise Liz with lunch in bed.

As he balanced the tray on one hand, he opened the door with the other and almost dropped the tray when he saw that she was already awake and waiting for him.

“Hey, I thought you’d still be sleeping. No fair, you ruined the surprise.” Max said pouting.

“Nope, I felt you get out of bed and that woke me up. And don’t try that pouting on me. It won’t work. I invited it. Just ask Maria or Alex.” Liz said smirking.

Max smirked and rolled his eyes acting as if he was hurt by her words. “I’m hurt, Liz.”

“Mmhmm, nice try.” Liz paused, noticing the food. “Now get your butt over here. I’m hungry.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Max made his way over towards the bed careful not to drop the tray or the contents on it. Slowly placing it on the bed, he handed Liz her bowl of soup and a sandwich. He then poured her and himself a glass of tea.

“Mmm, good soup.” Liz said.

“Thanks, I made it myself.” Max said trying to act serious.

"Yeah, and you had help from Cambells.”

Max just stuck his tongue out at her, and watched her. How she smiled, you’d think she didn’t have a care in the world, but there was more under the surface then she let on and he saw that last night. Watching her sleep last night was when he swore to himself that he’d protect her from now on. He needed her and she needed him, and he also swore to himself that he’d never leave or hurt her, not that he would, but he still swore to himself.

“Do I have something on my face?” Liz asked, bringing Max out of his thoughts.

“Huh? Oh no, I just like watching you.”

Liz blushed. “I don’t know if I should thank you or call the cops.”

Liz laughed and noticed Max with a confused look on his face. “Never mind, its obviously over your head.”

Max looked up. “What’s over my head?”

This made Liz laugh even harder. “No..nothing is over your head.”

“You meanie.” Max said and stuck out his tongue.

“You should watch that tongue mister.”

“And why should I?” Max asked back.

Liz didn’t reply just reached out and grabbed his tongue with her fingers. “That’s why.”

Max took this opportunity to suck her finger into his mouth and slowly slide her finger out of his mouth. He didn’t realize that this was turning him on, he was only teasing her, but when he looked up at her, she was blushing. Yet there was something in her eyes that wasn’t there before. Her eyes were darker, liked glazed over and she was staring at his mouth. He inched forward bringing his face close to hers and felt her lips slowly brush against his. He was about to deepen the kiss when the doorbell rang.

Max pulled away. “You expecting someone?” Max asked.

“Nope.”

“I’ll go get it. It’s probably Alex or Ria. They probably forgot their keys.” Liz said and began to get up.

“No, its okay. I’ll get it.” Max said already heading towards the door.

“Okay.”

Max was already out the door, heading towards the stairs, and figured ‘why not have some fun’.

He hopped up and slide down the stairs on the rail all the way down, nearly falling on his butt as he landed.

“Okay maybe that was a little too much fun.” Max said to himself.

He walked up to the door and turned the doorknob pulling the door open faster then he meant to and breathed a sigh of relief he didn’t realize he was holding.

“Does a Liz Parker live here?”

“Yes, she does, but she’s unavailable right now. Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Yeah.” The delivery man said and handed Max a white envelope. “Make sure she gets this. It was delivered overnight.”

“Yeah, sure. No problem. Thanks.”

“No, thank you. You made my job just a little bit easier.”

Max chuckled. “Have a good day.”

“You too.” He called back.

Max watched as he got into his truck and pulled out of the drive way before he closed the door and made his way back upstairs.

“Hey Li-“ Max stopped when he didn’t see her lying on the bed.

He began to panic, but then he saw that her balcony door was open. He walked towards the door and saw Liz. She was starring up at the sky, with a smile on her face and Max didn’t want to interrupt that.

“Hey Max.” Liz said without turning around.

“Hey. This came for you.” Max said as he handed her the envelope.

Liz took the envelope from him and was about to open it when she happened to catch a glance at the return address:

Walter H. Stubbs
Attorney at Law

“What? What is it?” Max asked.

“No..Nothing.” Liz said as she opened the envelope and pulled out the single piece of paper that was in it and began to read.

Commonwealth of Portland, Oregon.

SUPERIOR COURT
Elizabeth Anne Parker

You are hereby commanded to appear before the GRAND JURY - next to be-held at Portland within and for our County of Portland on the 31 St day of August A.D. 2004 at 9:00am and from day to day thereafter, then and there to give such evidence as he or she knows relating to any matters which may be inquired of on behalf the Commonwealth before said GRAND JURY in the matter of Commonwealth v. Justin Ames.

FAIL NOT TO APPEAR, and make sure to return this Writ with you into the said Court.

John A. Grossman
Assistant Attorney General

That was the last thing Liz saw before the darkness came. Never realizing that Max had caught her just in time.
Last edited by linliz68 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by linliz68 »

Ch. 24A

The second Part of this chapter will be out very soon, I just dint want to keep my fans waiting. I'm also working on a new story, Finding My Past. So be on the look-out.

“Liz? Liz!” Max said panicking. “Wake up, please!”

“No,” Liz moaned softly. “Not again.”

“Liz, can you hear me?”

Liz slowly opened her eyes and found herself staring into Max’s worried eyes.

“Wha- what happened?”

“You passed out.”

“Great. Just great.” Liz replied sarcastically.

“What happened?”

“Oh, the usual. Got a letter telling me I have to appear in court to testify on the bastard who nearly killed me.”

“What!” Max exploded. “Why?”

“I don’t know, but please don’t yell. I just need to call Ria and Alex.”

Max nodded and reached for the cordless phone on the table and handed it to her.

Liz took the phone, with shaky hands, and dialed her sister’s cell phone number. After a series of rings, Maria finally picked up.

“Hello?”

“I need you and Alex to come home right away.”

“Liz, what’s wrong?”

“Now!”

Liz pushed the off button and threw the phone across the room, nearly hitting Max, but broke a lamp in the process.

“Liz, it’s going to be...”

“What! Okay! I really believe that.” Liz yelled.

“Why not just go testify? Put him where he belongs, and move on with your life.” Max said, allowing her to yell at him, letting her get her frustrations out.

“That is so easy for you to say. You never went through the hell that I had to go through! He did all this shit to me and never had to pay!”

“Do you want him to pay for what he did or do you want him to go free and possibly do what he did to you to someone else?”

“I want him to burn in hell for what he did to me.” Liz said through clenched teeth.

Max walked over towards her and pulled her into his arms, wrapping his arms around her protectively.

“I want him to pay. I want him to pay.” Liz kept repeating as tears slid down her cheek.

The door was suddenly thrown open with a worried Maria and a not-so-calm Alex behind her.

“Liz, what’s wrong?” Maria asked, noticing the appearance of the living room and the way her sister was clinging to Max.

Max just motioned for them to sit down, as he handed Alex the letter. Alex took it and took Maria by the arm and guided her towards the couch and sat down.

Max also felt Liz’s breathing slow down and felt himself relax despite the fact that Alex and Maria will be acting just as Liz did a few moments ago. He just prayed that all this would be over soon, so that they can all start to heal.

“What the hell! I know this isn’t for real. I mean, this has to be a fucking joke!!” Maria exploded. “I mean, how did they even find us?!”

“Damn government.” Alex commented. “I thought this shit was over.”

Liz scoffed. “Obviously not.”

“They expect that bastard and you to be in the same room! No fucking way! There going to have to kill me first!” Maria said, venting her anger.

“Maria, this isn’t a choice you get to make for her. Actually, its not a choice for Liz.” Alex replied.

“What! What do you mean this isn’t a choice that I can make!” Liz yelled, not understanding what Alex was saying.

“This, right here.” Alex said, referring to the letter. “Is a court order. Meaning you have to show up or by law, they can arrest you.”

“Great, just great.” Liz replied sarcastically. “I never have a damn choice, so why should this time be any different.”

“You do have a choice. All of you do.” Max said in a quiet mono-tone voice. “You can chose to live in the past or you can go to this and move one. Start healing.”

Maria just scoffed.

“I didn’t say it was going to be easy, because it’s not. It’s going to be hard.”

“He’s right.” Alex replied.

“Thank you.” Max whispered.

“I’m going.” Liz spoke up after a few minutes of silence.

“What?” Maria asked.

“I want that bastard to pay and I’m sick of being afraid. So I’m going.”

“I’m going with you.” Max replied taking Liz’s hand and holding it.

“Max...”

“I want to be apart of this, Liz. It’s like I said before, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Okay, its settled.” Alex replied. “We leave tomorrow. I’ll call Michael and Isabel and let them know.”

“Okay. I’ll call mom and dad and let them know what’s up.” Maria said walking out of the room, following Alex.

“I’ll uh..go get a broom and clean up the mess I made.”

Liz walked into the kitchen, leaving Max standing by himself in the living room.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Liz asked, looking at Max who was deep in thought.

“Huh? Oh sorry.” Max replied shyly.

“I want to thank you again for last night. It meant a lot to me.” Liz said honestly.

“I’m just happy to know and that you finally let me in. I meant what I said last night, Liz. I do love you.”

“I am, too. I fell like some of the pressure was lifted when I told you. And Max?”

“Yeah?”

“I...I love you, too.”

Max smiled like he had just won the lottery, and pulled Liz in for a hug and planted a soft kiss on her lips.

“Max about tomorrow...”

“No matter what happens, I’m going to be by your side. All the way.”

“Thank you.” Liz replied and kissed Max once more on the lips.
linliz68
Enthusiastic Roswellian

CHAPTER 24B

Post by linliz68 »

CHAPTER 24B

(NEXT MORNING)

“Everybody ready to go?” Alex asked, looking from Liz to Maria to Max, who had spent the night.

“Yes.”

“Mmhmm.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Alright, let’s go.” Alex said as he opened the front door and walked out, everyone else following behind him, with Liz being the last one out of the house.

“Time to get this over with.”

They all piled into Max’s escalade, with Liz sitting up front up Max. Alex and Isabel behind them, and Michael and Maria in the back, which wasn’t a very good idea to Liz, but then again, with those two in the back, it give Liz and Max some quiet time.

The drive to the courthouse was filled with silence. As minutes passed, no one talked. They were coming up on the sign saying that they were no longer in New York. At that point, Liz began to get scared. They were now only 2 hours away.

“Hey, you okay?” Max asked, noticing how Liz kept balling and unballing her hands into fists.

“Who me? Yeah, I’m good.” Liz said quickly. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well...”

“Other then the obvious.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m not. I just want to get this over with and move on with my life.” Liz said as her hand came to rest on his, on the armrest.

“Okay.”

Liz looked over at Max. She was amazed at how he didn’t give up until they were friends, how he stood up for her, when others would try to drag her down, and the one who loves her for who she is.

She smiled, remembering the previous night.

“Max, why are you doing all of this?”

“I thought it was obvious.” Max replied with a smirk.

“Smartass.”

“I know, and you love it.”

Liz just laughed. “Yeah, I guess I do, but you still haven’t answered my question.”

“You don’t forget a thing do you?”

“Why do you think I’m so smart.” Liz said, smiling.

“So true.”

“Thank you, now are you going to answer my question or just change subjects all night long?”

Max just smiled at her and rolled his eyes. “You are such a pushover.”

Liz just took a bow. “Thank you.”

“Not welcome.”

Liz acted as if she were shocked, but then couldn’t hold that pose anymore and bursted out laughing.

“Alright Parker, you wanna hear my answer or not?”

“Ye-...yes.” Liz said, trying to get some much needed air into her body.

“I’m doing all of this because I love you.”

Liz was able to calm herself down, but when she heard his answer, she wanted nothing more then to jump into his arms. And she did just that.

“Whoa....” Max said as he caught Liz, but managed to loose his balance and fall onto the bed, with Liz on top of him.

“You wimp.”

“Ah, I resent that.”

“Do not.”

“Do too.”

Liz’s hands crept up his sides, getting ready to tickle him. “Do not.”

The next thing Max felt was Liz’s hands tickling his most sensitive sides. And there was nothing he could do to stop her.

“Ah...hey stop.” Max tried to say, while trying to catch some much needed oxygen.

“Not till you admit it.”

Liz’s hands tickled all up and down his sides and across his stomach. Much to her surprise, it was his most ticklish spot. She smiled wickedly to herself.

“Ah ha, so that’s where you’re most ticklish at.”

“Don’t you dare.”

“Don’t I?”

“Li-ah, ha, ha..ha” Max tries to say. “Please, Li...okay I give.”

“Huh? What was that, Max?”

“I said...” Max paused, getting ready for his attack, before Liz had a chance to gloat, Max had turned the tables and flipped them over to where he was on top. “I give.”

“You tricked me, you jerk.”

Max pretended to be wounded. “That hurt, Liz.”

“Please, like that hurt you HUGE ego.”

“It did, and now you have to pay the price.”

“Oh, I’m so scared.”

“You should be.”

Max slowly leaned over and brushed a soft kiss against Liz’s lips. He heard her softly moan and he smiled knowing he was making her feel this way.

“Now that I have you under me.” Max said, wiggling his eyebrows. “There is something I want to say.”

Liz saw what he was doing and thought she’d show him a thing or two. “Oh really, because there are some things I want to tell you.”

With that, Liz raised her hips up, knowing what it does to him. She smirked.

Max couldn’t help but moan, but knew if he didn’t say what he wanted to say, he felt he would never get the chance again.“There will be enough time for that later.”

“If you say so.”

“Oh, I know so.” Max replied quietly. “Now where was I? Oh yes, you asked me why I was doing all of this. Well, the answer is very simple. I love you and I want to see you happy and I’ll do anything to make you happy. I know you feel like I turned you life around for the better, but I feel like if you had never moved here, I’d just take life as it comes and never live. You changed my life and for that, I’ll love you always.”

Liz couldn’t help the tears that feel. “I love you, too.”

With that, Liz leaned up and kissed Max on the lips, deeper. She felt him pull away and she thought she had done something wrong.

“One more thing.” Max paused and leaned close, so close that their foreheads were touching. “I’ll never leave you. That’s a promise.”

Max slide his hand over Liz’s and gave three gentle squeezes, which she gladly returned without hesitation.

After about another 30 minutes, Max decided to break the silence. “Alex.”

“Yeah, sup?”

“Can you explain to me the whole court thing?”

“Uh, okay. I don’t know that much, just what I’ve seen.” Alex said, trying to remember what he had learned from both class and experience.

“Just tell me what you know.” Max replied, wanting to know what he was getting into and wanted to be prepared.

“Okay, well I might as well skip all the necessary information and get right to the court system and how it works.”

“That’s a good idea, dummy.” Michael whispered loud enough for Alex to hear, which resulted in a slap to the back of the head from Maria. “Owww.”

“Shut up and let Alex talk.”

“Thanks, anyways like I was saying, the court system works many different ways. I’m just hoping that this court will work this case the way I want them to.”

“What do you mean, Alex?” Isabel asked, speaking for the first time since they left.

“Well, one way they work is that, when you testify, that particular person you are testifying for or against will be in the courtroom, too.”

“That bastard better not be in the same room as Liz.” Max replied through gritted teeth.

“I think it’s for the best.”

“What?! Liz, are you crazy?” Maria yelled from the back of the car. “After all he put you through, you want to see him?”

“I don’t want to, but in order for me to fully move on, I want to look him in the eye and tell him I’m not afraid of him anymore and that I’m moving on with my life and he gets what he deserves. It’s like my motto says ‘you do the crime, you do the time.’”

“I respect that Liz.” Alex said, giving his sister’s shoulder a gentle squeeze.

“Me, too.” Isabel replied.

“So do I.” Michael said, which caused everyone to turn and look at him with a shocked look on their faces. “What? I know where she’s coming from. And for that, I truly respect her.”

“Thank you, Michael.”

“I respect it, too. But so help me god if tries anything I’m chopping his balls off and feeding them to him.” Maria said in a total serious tone.

“Damn.” All the guys said at once.

“Remind me never to make you that mad.” Michael whispered.

Liz smiled and laughed for the first time that day. “Thanks Maria. I’ll even help.”

“Liz!” Max exclaimed.

“Joking.”

“Well, to us guys, don’t talk like that.”

Liz leaned and whispered into his ear. “Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of your package.”

Max nearly lost control of the Escalade with that comment, which caused Liz to burst outlaughing.

“Eww, Liz if you said what I think you said, all I have to say to you is eww.” Maria said, trying to hold back her laughter.

“Huh? Oh, eww Liz that’s my brother you’re talking to like that.”

“Max, you lucky undeserving dog.” Michael said from the back.

“Very undeserving.” Alex said, laughing.

“Don’t make me pull this car over and kick both of your asses.” Max replied trying to sound serious.

“Oh, we are so scared.” Alex and Michael said together.

“Hey guys, I really hate to interrupt, but we’ve just entered the city of Portland.” Alex said, noticing the ‘welcome to Portland’ sign.

“Let’s check in with the lawyer and get this over with.” Max paused. “Where to, Alex?”

“Keep going down this street, when you reach the first set of lights, make a right and it should be on your left.”

“Alright, thanks.”

“Yeah.” Alex whispered.

“Let’s get this over with.” Maria said.

“Amen.” Liz whispered.

After following Alex’s instructions, Max pulled into the parking lot and came to a stop right in front.

“Alright, I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Liz said, removing her seatbelt and reaching for the doorknob.

“Want me to go in with you?” Max asked.

Liz smiled a genuine smile. “If you want to.”

“We’ll be right back guys.”

“Okay.” They all replied in unison.

“Here let me get that for you.” Max said and held open the door for Liz.

“Thanks.”

“Sure.”

“Can I help you?” The assistant asked.

“I’m here to see Mr. Aster. I got a letter saying I had to appear in court. I wanted to come by and see if I had to check in or anything like that.”

The woman looked at Liz through her thin-rimmed glasses. “Mr. Aster is in his office waiting for his next appointment, but you’re free to see him now if you’d like. His office in just down the hall to your right.”

“Thank you.”

“Let’s go.”

Liz took Max’s hand and began walking down the hallway towards Mr. Aster’s office.

“She was really nice.”

“Yeah. I’m surprised she even let us see him. I figured he’d be busy or something.”

“Well, honey he is a lawyer.”

Liz stuck her tongue out at him. “Smartass.”

“Yes, but a very, very cute smartass.”

Liz, tried to appear shocked, but failed as she tried to come up with a comeback when the door to Mr. Aster’s office suddenly opened.

“Thought I heard voices.”

“Mr. Aster?” Liz asked.

“Yes.”

“I’m Liz Parker, and I received a letter in the mail saying I had to appear in court to testify on Justin- my ex and I just wanted to know if I needed to check in or anything to let you guys know that I’m here.”

“Please, come into my office.” Mr. Aster paused, after he saw that Liz and the young man with her were in, he shut the door. “Well, Ms. Parker, thank you for stopping by and letting us know.”

“There is one more thing I’d like to know.”

“Yes.”

“Will..will he be in the courtroom when I testify?”

“I am not at liberty to say, but more then likely, yes.”

“Can I ask what he did?” Max asked.

“Several months ago, the plaintiff murdered a young female and his court date is coming up and the defense wants to get some background on him.”

“What kind of background?”

“What he’s like? Does he get angry easily? Things like that.”

“Can I ask the name of the young female who was murdered?” Liz asked.

“Serena Moss.”

At first she thought she’d miss heard him, but when he didn’t repeat himself, she felt dizzy and then there was blackness. If Max wasn’t behind her, she would’ve hit the ground.

“Liz!”

“Ms. Parker!”

“Liz, wake up. Please, wake up.”

“No...” Liz moaned.

She heard faint voices and thought she recognized one of them as Max’s.

“No..no...no” Liz kept repeating.

“Liz, are you okay?” Max asked, beginning to panic.

“Max...”

“Yes, baby its me. Wake up.”

Liz slowly opened her eyes, and was looking at two faces. One she recognized, the other she didn’t. Then the reality hit her. Her best friend, Serena, who had warned her about Justin’s temper, who was at every girly sleep over, who she helped get through her mother’s death. She still couldn’t believe that this sweet girl was murdered by him. Then the tears came.

“Liz, what’s wrong?” Max asked.

“Ser...Serena was my best friend.” Liz said as she sobbed.

Max just held her tight as he let her cried.

‘This woman has gone through so much. How much more does she have to suffer?’ Max thought to himself, as he heard her sobs die down.

“She knew the victim?” Mr. Aster asked.

“Yes, I...I did.” Liz whispered.

“I am truly sorry, Ms. Parker.”

“Thank you.” Liz whispered. “I want to go home now, Max.”

“Ms. Parker, the trial begins tomorrow. If you’d like, I can try to get you in and testify first thing, that way you don’t have to be reminded of what he did to your friend.”

“You can?”

“If she’s this distraught, it’d be for the best. She’s already been through enough. It’s time for her to start to heal.” Mr. Aster replied, sincerely.

“Thank you again, sir.” Max said and held out his hand.

“No, thank you, young man. Take good care of her. She needs all the help she can get.”

Liz pulled away from Max and into the arms of Mr. Aster. “Thank you so much. I wish I could do something to repay for your generosity.”

“Just the truth to put this guy away is all I ask.”

“You will, sir.” Liz paused as she settled against Max. “Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.”

“Take care.”

“You, too.” Max replied as he helped Liz out of the office, and back down the hallway and out to the van.

“Come on, Liz. Let’s get to a hotel and get you some rest.”

“Liz! What happened? What’s wrong?” Maria said opening the door and running towards Max and Liz.

“Maria.” Liz replied softly.

“What happened?” Maria said, not hearing Liz.

“Maria, Liz is trying to tell us something. Let her speak.” Alex said, exiting the van and taking his place next to Maria, as Michael and Isabel did the same thing.

“He..he killed Serena.”

“Oh god.” Alex replied.

Maria couldn’t even speak. She opened her mouth but no words came out.

“My best friend..killed by that bastard.” Liz paused, her sadness replaced with anger. “That is the last thing he will ever do. He killed her and he almost killed me. As far as I’m concerned, he can rot in hell for all I care. Now I just want to get to a hotel and get some rest so tomorrow can come, and I can face him and tell him how I truly feel.”

Max wrapped his arm around her waist and felt her lean into him. “Let’s go.”

They all piled back into Max’s car, and began looking for a hotel close to the court house. They found one two blocks away. After parking, Max got out and headed inside as the others got out, stretched and gathered there things. A few minutes later, Max came back outside.

“Mom and dad will kill me, but for tonight its worth it.”

“What’s worth it?” Isabel asked her brother.

“I got the best room. It comes with three beds, two baths, cable, HBO, mini fridge, and room service.”

“Yes, they will.” Michael said grinning. “But what a death it will be. I need the rest, so lets go.”

“Here we are, room 212.” Max replied and opened the door.

“Damn.” They all replied at the same time.

“Let’s get some sleep.” Max said, who half carried Liz into the room and placed her on the first bed.

“I’m not...tired.” Liz replied, but as soon as her head hit the pillow she was fast asleep.

“Night, baby.” Max whispered, then turned his attention back to the rest of the group. “I don’t know about you guys, but its getting close to ten so I’m going to go ahead and get my rest, too.”

“I agree, Maxwell.” Michael replied.

“Yeah.” Maria replied then looked at Michael. “Wanna share?”

“Why not.” Michael replied.

“I guess that just leaves us, huh?” Isabel asked.

“I can take the floor if you want.”

“No, you’re not sleeping on the floor. It won’t kill me and I know it won’t kill you, too.”

After changing, they all settled into bed.

“Goodnight everyone.” Max said.

“Night.” Isabel replied.

“Night.” Michael replied.

“Night.” Maria replied.

“Night.” Alex replied.

(Next Morning)

Liz stirred, and felt something behind her. She turned over and smiled. It was Max, sleeping peaceful, with this small smile on his face.

‘Today’s the day I face my fears.’ Liz thought to herself.

She knew she needed a few minutes alone to help prepare herself for this, so she carefully slid out of bed, looking every few seconds to make sure she hadn’t woken up Max. When she saw that she hadn’t, she quietly tiptoed over to her bag and took out a change of cloths and went into the bathroom. As she was changing her cloths, she thought she had heard a noise, but brushed it off.

As she emerged from the bathroom, she paused to look at all these people in the room, who truly cared for her. She was very grateful for that, and knew deep down that this was the right thing to do.

‘I just need a few minutes to get myself together.’ Liz thought to herself again. ‘Then again, if one of them wakes up and I’m not here, its going to be a full blown panic, and I don’t need that.’

Liz found a little notepad and wrote everyone a note, telling them where she’d be. Liz placed it, where she knew everyone would find it. As she slipped out of the hotel room, she didn’t see the body that stirred in the half empty bed.

Max immediately sat up and almost went after her, only something caught his eye. A note. He picked it up and read it to himself:

If your awake and I’m not here, don’t panic.
I just need a few minutes to myself for what’s going to happen today.
I’ll be out by the pool.
I’ll be back in 10 minutes.
Love you all,
Liz

Max immediately calmed down and laid his head back down on the pillow. He trusted her, and he knew that Liz knew that, too. He too, was nervous about today. Max knew Liz had to do this, if she ever wanted to move on, but he also knew it wouldn’t be easy at all. It would be the hardest thing she would ever have to do. And he was going to be by her side, every step of the way.

Just as Max sat up, the front door opened.

“Oh, god. Max you scared me. I didn’t think anyone would be up already.” Liz said.

“Sorry. It’s just that, my bed was half empty when I woke up.”

Liz just rolled her eyes. “Men.”

“How you feel?”

“Not so good, but I’ll feel a hell of a lot better after this is over.” Liz paused. “What time do we have to be there?”

Max looked over at the alarm clock. “About an hour.”

“Great, just enough time for everyone to get up and get dressed.”

“And shower.” Maria mumbled as she sat up.

“Hey sleepyhead, how did you sleep?”

“Me? Sleep? With him snoring?” Maria said, referring to Michael.

“Hey, I do not snore.” Michael said, trying to defend himself.

“That is such a lie.” Isabel said, yawning and stretching. “You think he’s this bad, Maria? At least you don’t have to live with him.”

“Hey, I resent that.”

Liz just laughed, and noticed everyone was already beginning to wake up. Except for Alex.

“Is he..” Isabel began.

“Awake?” Alex finished for her. “Yeah, I am.”

“Good, because we have less then an hour to get ready and be down at the courthouse.”

That’s when totally craziness happened. Cloths went flying, bathroom doors were slamming, and people were grumbling left and right.

“I guess I should be happy I’m a guy. I only have to change cloths, I don’t worry too much about my appearance.”

“Well, I’m happy you’re a guy, too.” Liz replied smiling as she settled in his lap.

“I love you.” Max whispered.

“I love you, too.”

“Alright, I’m done.” Alex said, coming out of the bathroom, neatly dressed. Same as Michael.

“Now all we have to do is wait on the ladies.”

“Do we have to?”

“Do we have to what?” Maria and Isabel asked walking out of the bathroom, completely showered and refreshed.

“Wow, I’m impressed.” Max whispered.

“Hey.” Liz said, trying to sound annoyed, but failing miserably.

“What?”

Liz just rolled her eyes. “Nothing.”

“Alright, lets get this over with.” Alex said, grabbing his jacket.

“Yeah.” Liz whispered as she stood up and helped Max stand up.

They all cleaned up, and packed up their things. As they all piled back into Max’s car, Liz’s hands began to sweat. They all sat in the same seats they had on the way to the hotel. As Max was making the final turns towards the courthouse, he took Liz’s hand in his and gently squeezed.

“I’m here for you.” Max whispered.

“I know you are.”

“Yeah, we all are.” Alex said, agreeing with Max.

The drive to the courthouse was in totally silence.

“We’re here.” Max said as he pulled into the parking lot and brought the car to a stop.

“Let’s go.” Liz said, already opening her door and getting out.

Everyone else got out of the car, with Max being the last, making sure he locked the car. With Alex holding the door open, they made their way through the building to where Liz is going to face her demons.

“Name please.” The secretary asked.

“Liz Parker.”

The woman scanned her list. “Ah yes, Parker, Liz. If you’ll follow this hallway, the courtroom is the last door on your left. They’re just about to begin.”

“Thank you.”

They made their way down the hallway, Liz in front, with Max at her side and everyone else behind them.

“You ready?” Max asked.

“No, but I have to do this.”

“Okay.” Max replied and opened the door for her.

Liz made her way up towards the front row and sat down, with Max and everyone at her side. Just then a door at the left opened. In walked the same man who had she and Max had talked to yesterday.

“Ms. Parker?”

“Yes.”

“It’s good to see you again. How are you feeling?”

“Nervous.”

“It’s okay to be nervous. Just think of this as a way for you to start over and move on with your life. If all these people came here with you, I know you’ll be alright.”

“Thank you.”

“Please come with me.”

Liz got up and walked through the small swinging doors.

“You’ll be sitting here, with me. The judge will enter and we’ll stand up, then when he or she sits down, we’ll sit down and then we’ll begin.”

“How long do I have to be here?”

“Only an hour or two.”

“Will there be any other people in this room with us?”

“Yes, he will be here, too.” He paused. “But no one else is allowed in here. It’ll just be your friends, him and his lawyer, the judge and us.”

“Okay.” Liz replied just as the door that her lawyer walked through opened.

In walked Justin, in handcuffs. Following behind him, was his lawyer. When Justin’s eyes met Liz’s, she saw that he was shocked to see her.

Just as Liz was about to ask her lawyer, the main door opened and in walked a middle-aged man dressed in a black robe.

“All rise. The honorable Judge Curtis is now presiding.”

The judge walked up the little steps and sat down in his chair.

“You may now be seated.”

“This is case number 126, people vs. Justin Hills.”

“Do the lawyers understand that this is just a character hearing. I will be making notes and choices during this time, but no decisions will be made until the trial.”

“We understand your honor.” Both lawyers said.

“Alright, do the people have a witness at this time?”

“We do, your honor. This is Liz Parker. She will testify to the character of Mr. Justin, through the experiences she’s had with him.”

“Very well.”

“Ms. Parker, please come up to the stand.”

Liz looked back at Max, who gave her an encouraging smile as well as all the other important people in her life did. She carefully stood up and walked over to where she was told.

“Raise your right hand. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?”

“I do.”

“Please, be seated.”

Liz sat down and began to play with her hands in her lap.

“Ms. Parker, how do you know the defendant?”

“He was my boyfriend.”

“I see. How long were you together?”

“Uh, bout a year.”

“And during that year, how did he treat you?”

“At first, he treated me very well. Like a man treats a woman.”

“You say, at first. Do you mean his attitude changed?”

“Ye..yes.”

“How did it change?”

“It was sm..small things. Like telling me not to hang out with my guy friends anymore or gripping my arm to tight to the point it would leave a bruise. I figured it was my fault, that I did something wrong to make him mad to the point he would do these things to me.”

“I understand and did it get worse or better from this point?”

Liz took a deep breath and tried to keep the tears that threatened to come at bay. She forced herself to look at him and not back down.

“Worse. It went from verbal abuse to physical abuse.”

“Physical abuse? You mean, he hit you?”

“Ye..yes. And not just one time. It seemed that when I wore a skirt, that it was too short and it was slutty and that I was a slut. He’d first hit, where people wouldn’t notice, like on my...on my back and rib cage.” Liz said as the tears came. “Then he focused on my face. Black eyes, busted lips, and almost breaking my nose.”

“But you stayed?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I thought I could change him. Let him see that what he was doing was hurting me, and that he’d stop.”

“But he didn’t?”

Liz shook her head no.

“Take your time, Ms. Parker. I know this is very hard for you.”

“I left him about nine months into the relationship. He had left me alone after that, or so I thought. Then one night, when my parents weren’t home, it was just me and my brother and sister, he came. He knocked on the door and when I opened it, I didn’t have a chance to scream, he just began hitting. At the time, Alex and Maria, my brother and sister were upstairs and didn’t hear until..until..”

“Yes.”

“Until he threw me on the coffee table, breaking it in the process and making the cut that is now a scar across my abdomen.”

“Alex ran downstairs with Maria behind him. He yelled for her to call 911 and then I heard a crash, when I looked up, Alex had tackled Justin, knocking him out. But it was only for a second, when he heard the sirens, he took off.”

“And why didn’t you press charges against him then?”

“I was badly injured and was in and out of the hospital for three months. If I pressed charges, I knew he’d come after me and probably kill me. I had no idea, he actually would.”

“Did you know Serena Cutler?”

“Yes, she was one of my best friends before I moved. She was the one who told me to leave him, and I didn’t listen.”

“Did you know that Serena and Justin were going out?”

“I had no idea, that she’d go to him and be with him. If I had known that, I would have never moved. I would’ve protected her, like she protected me.”

“But you had to move, didn’t you?”

“Yes, after what happened to me, my parents got a court order for him to stay away, but I knew that wouldn’t work, so after discussing it. We decided to move. God, I wish we hadn’t. But if we hadn’t, I would’ve never met these wonderful people in here with me now.”

“Ms. Parker, one last question and if its okay with the judge, is there anything you’d like to tell Justin now?”

“It’s okay. You can chose to answer to answer the question, Ms. Parker.”

Liz took some much needed deep breaths and calmed herself down to the point that she could look him dead in the eye and say what she needed to say for the past three years.

“You took away my ability to open up to someone, but you didn’t take away my life. I have learned to move on, and although it won’t be easy, I’ve already started the process. You took someone very dear to my heart, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to forgive, but I know I will never forget. I thought you would change, but I was wrong. You think you won, but you didn’t. I’m stronger today and I can walk down the street without worrying if you’re behind me. It’s wrong to say, you get what you deserve, but what you did, you will have to pay. I love Serena and I know she’s in a better place and I know she’s proud of me. So just know this, you don’t scare me and you never will again.”

“Thank you Ms. Parker. I know coming down here was extremely hard to do, and these people I see now in this courtroom care about you very much. I wish you well in everything you do. You may step down.

Liz thanked the judge and made her way back to her original seat beside the lawyer whose been defending her since yesterday. She still didn’t know how she was going to repay his generosity.

“I will now retire to my chambers and think about Ms. Parker has just told this court.” Judge Curtis banged his gavel. “Meet back here in ten minutes.”

Liz let out a breathe she didn’t realize she was holding. When the judge had left the courtroom, followed by Justin, she got up and walked back over to where everyone was.

“I’m so proud of you.” Alex said as he pulled his baby sister into a hug.

“Me, too.” Maria said, agreeing with her brother.

“Yeah, we all are.” Michael said.

Liz noticed that Max had been quiet through the whole thing and off to himself.

“Hey.” Liz whispered.

“Sorry, I didn’t want to crowd you.”

“You didn’t.”

“Listen Liz-“

“Max-“

Both laughed.

“You first.” Liz offered.

Max just nodded his head. “I am so proud of you. I don’t think I could’ve been this strong, but you are. You made it, and this whole time you’ve changed me. You’ve made me a better person, because of you, I’m a more loving person and I love you. I just have one more thing to say.”

“What’s that?” Liz whispered.

“Close your eyes.”

Liz did as Max asked. With her eyes closed, Max reached inside his jeans pocket and pulled out a box. He opened the box and pulled out the ring that was inside it. He then gently took her hand and placed the ring on it.

Liz didn’t know what was going on. All she could feel was Max and that he was putting some kind of ring on her finger.

“Open.”

Liz did and looked at her hand. “Oh, Max...”

“It’s a promise ring. It’s my promise to you. I’ll love you forever and always.”

Liz didn’t know what to say at this point. She just wrapped her arms around the one man she knew she’d love for the rest of her life.

“Ms. Parker?”

“Yes?”

“I just came from Judge’s quarters and he said what you did today was very brave and that you’re free to go. He also told me that he’ll keep in contact with you, something about making sure justice is served.”

Liz’s face lit up and she knew exactly what he meant.

“Thank you, thank you so much. You’ve helped me in more ways then I can count. How can I ever repay you?”

“Just live your life now. That’s all I ask.”

“Thank you again.”

All at once, Liz was surrounded by the people who she loved most, her family. She knew she wouldn’t have made it this far without them.

“We love you, Liz.”

In teary eyes, Liz spoke.

“I love you, too. Every single one of you.”

Liz felt a gentle squeeze from Max and looked down at the promise ring.

“So Liz, what would you like to do now?” Alex asked.

Liz knew without a doubt what she’d do. And she looked them all in the eye when she spoke.

“Live life.”

I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO KEPT THIS STORY ALIVE, I WOULDN'T BE HERE IF IT WASNT FOR YOU GUYS. I LOVED THIS STORY BUT ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END. I HAVE A NEW STORY COMING OUT CALLED 'FINDING MY PAST' IT'LL BE ON THE CC BOARD, SO LOOK FOR IT!! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!