Dialogue That Makes You Cringe

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

jbangelo
Administrator

Dialogue That Makes You Cringe

Post by jbangelo »

Thought this might be an interesting topic. :)

We all know that Roswell has some of the best one-liners, but there are some duds too. Which quotes just make you cringe everytime you hear them?

Here are two of mine:

From Sexual Healing:

MAX: "I'm glowing everywhere; my toes, my heart. You can't see it…it's on the inside."

I am a die-hard Dreamer, but I just HATE that line, and I don't even really know why. :lol:

From Skin & Bones:

MARIA: "Why? 'Cause you're destined to be with Isabel?"
MICHAEL: "No. I don't buy that. Because I'm destined to be the soldier, and a soldier can't have some chick at home waiting for him."
MARIA: "Michael, half the movies ever made are about soldiers with chicks waiting at home for them."

In what universe did the writers think that this would be an intellegent thing for Maria to say? Ugh, I shudder to think.

I have more, but that's all for now. What about everyone else?
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

Liz Parker Evans
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Liz Parker Evans »

Here is the one I hated.....

Max: Liz, i just want to put everything that happened behind us.

Liz: Yeah, you know that I would, too, if i had impregnated an alien killer who murdered one of our best friends and then left the planet with my unborn child.

Max: So you're still holding on to that?

Liz: It's hard not to, max. See, you slept with tess, and then you got her pregnant. I don't know how to just move past that. You hurt me, you know?

Max: Liz, meeting someone, someone like me,

Liz: it attracted me. I admit that. It was something I had to find out about, and now I'm over it.

This whole passage made me want to wretch...if he had said it to me I would have pushed him into the water myself
check out my fic Tomorrow Never Comes

out of this world
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by out of this world »

I have to second that Liz I did not like that scene. I mean I understood that they were trying to get our favorite couple back together however I think that that there would made a great storyline just trying to get them back together slowly. like the first season almost:)

This is mine I mean I liked them together but did not like how this was written.

Liz: So I guess this is it? Just tell me one thing do you love her?

Max: Not like I love you.

Ok I am puzzled what way does he love them? I mean he could have said I care for her but I love you. I would be happy with that but come on.

Carol:)
AngelicFairy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AngelicFairy »

O.K, there's only really one scene in Roswell that really made me cringe. And that was because I didn't understand it more than anything.. It's from Ch-Ch Changes.

Maria: No, I mean, us. I--I really appreciate the interest, but you don't have to look after me. Our lives are no longer linked.

Michael: Didn't we just sleep together?

Maria: [slowly.] We did.

Michael: But it doesn't mean anything.

Maria: It--it was great, I mean-- it's just that it doesn't mean that-- it was a spontaneous thing. You were feeling good, I was feeling good.

Michael: It's a capper to an already great day, I get it.

Maria: Michael.

Michael: Cross signals. It's no big deal.

I mean what was the point of Michael & Maria sleeping together in the first place? Because the writers decided
that they had about ten extra minutes spare in the episode and nothing to fill it with? I mean Michael & Maria were already broken up, what was the point in doing it again? :x I also have another one that I really don't like, it's from "Significant Others".

Isabel: All right. Well, I guess the truth is i've never felt this way before. This is the first time i've met someone i can see being with for the rest of my life.

Uh... What about Alex? I mean last season she was in love with Alex, and they looked as if they were going to be in the relationship for the long haul before he died. And what, suddenly she didn't see her relationship with Alex having a future had he lived? This made me suspect that Isabel of last season had been bodysnatched. :(

Also, I have to say I hated the episodes where Liz decided to become an angry drunk. That was ridiculous and made me cringe too. :(
VivaLasVegas
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by VivaLasVegas »

Yea, I definitely hated the drunk Liz episodes. And I REALLY wanted to second that "Not like I love you" was one of the most horrible lines Max ever said. There was actually a lively conversation that got started on this quote...I think it was on the RAMS board, but I'm not sure :? . Geez, it sounds like he means "I love you, Liz, but I love Tess too." GRR :x
fetch
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by fetch »

MAX: "I'm glowing everywhere; my toes, my heart. You can't see it…it's on the inside."

I agree. Blech. I'll find more.
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

How about in Independence day when Max says to Michael, "you're the lucky one."? because Max got the loving family, the nice home, the stable upbringing and Michael got to grow up in a trailer park under the 'care' of a drunk who beat him. That made Max seem really tactless and selfish.

Some of the other lines - the glowing one and 'it was you' are really corny to read and have become very hackneyed and cliched because of over-use in fanfiction but I think in the context of the show they worked, or at least Jason Behr was able to pull them off.
Banner by Evelyn
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

I love Roswell but did it ever irk anybody that they said the word control over and over. I mean in every episode they say the word control at least twice. It started to be a game with my friends. A cool drinking game if someone says control in the show everyone takes a shot. Go ahead rewatch the episodes and you'll understand why we got so plastered.lol :lol:
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
alienmom
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by alienmom »

i got sick of the 'what are we going to do now, max?' line, no matter who said it!!!!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"I am never far away. To find me, follow your heart." cherie
mom's cookie jar
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

Oh yeah! That was said like a hundred times!
I didn't even think about that line. Wow! :lol:
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment