Stargazers and the myth of NC-17

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

cardinalgirl wrote: Of course he would want to... he's a guy. Come on, people. He wasn't a saint. But he was a gentleman. My only point is that he wouldn't have asked for anything that she wasn't ready to give.
my thoughts exactly! :)
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

The problem here is one of definition. NC-17 (or Adult as we now call it in these parts) covers a broad spectrum. From PWP smut, that's all about grunting and groaning...simple sex and sweat; to lengthly romancing and seduction culminating in a fairly hot love scene. Try as you might Alex "resists" being put into the former type of story. He just doesn't come off as a "throw her down and do her" sort of guy. He'll make love to a girl, but he'll never just have sex. On Isabel's part, the whole world-wise ice-queen thing always struck me as a ruse. Alex may actually have been the first guy to ever get past her defenses....which is what made the whole Jesse thing so gag-worthy. It was completely off base for Isabel's character to move on so quickly...or to move on at all. I got the feeling that Alex was an exception to a lot of rules for Isabel. Not just as a popular girl in a status concious high school environment, but as alien girl allowing herself to get close to a human male for any reason at all.

Laters,
Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
truelovepooh
Forum Moderator

Post by truelovepooh »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:The problem here is one of definition. NC-17 (or Adult as we now call it in these parts) covers a broad spectrum. From PWP smut, that's all about grunting and groaning...simple sex and sweat; to lengthly romancing and seduction culminating in a fairly hot love scene. Try as you might Alex "resists" being put into the former type of story. He just doesn't come off as a "throw her down and do her" sort of guy. He'll make love to a girl, but he'll never just have sex. On Isabel's part, the whole world-wise ice-queen thing always struck me as a ruse. Alex may actually have been the first guy to ever get past her defenses....which is what made the whole Jesse thing so gag-worthy. It was completely off base for Isabel's character to move on so quickly...or to move on at all. I got the feeling that Alex was an exception to a lot of rules for Isabel. Not just as a popular girl in a status concious high school environment, but as alien girl allowing herself to get close to a human male for any reason at all.

Laters,
Rick

Here here! Well said and I completely agree
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Mt Gazer »

Yep add me to the list of Agreeing.

Rhonda
"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
"Too beautiful for earth."
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I'm inclined to agree... Not to mention the fact that she had absolutely no room to complain about Max and Michaels reaction to it after all the guff she gave Max in S1 about wanting to be with Liz who already knew their secret.
KarenEvans
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KarenEvans »

Kzinti_Killer wrote:The problem here is one of definition. NC-17 (or Adult as we now call it in these parts) covers a broad spectrum. From PWP smut, that's all about grunting and groaning...simple sex and sweat; to lengthly romancing and seduction culminating in a fairly hot love scene. Try as you might Alex "resists" being put into the former type of story. He just doesn't come off as a "throw her down and do her" sort of guy. He'll make love to a girl, but he'll never just have sex. On Isabel's part, the whole world-wise ice-queen thing always struck me as a ruse. Alex may actually have been the first guy to ever get past her defenses....which is what made the whole Jesse thing so gag-worthy. It was completely off base for Isabel's character to move on so quickly...or to move on at all. I got the feeling that Alex was an exception to a lot of rules for Isabel.

Well put,Rick.

I couldn't agree with you more.

The whole Isabel moving on so quickly in season 3 got on my nerves to say the least...made me want to gag quite frankly.

It just made no sense-from heart-broken at the end of season 2 to horny(excuse me if I sound crass) Ice Princess in 2-3 months at the start of season 3-Yuck!They made her move on so quickly,so much so that it had no connection to the way they portrayed her after Alex's untimely demise...hello she was supposedly shattered!Alex was the love of her life.So what if they weren't all hot and heavy...the looks,simple gestures and touches conveyed much more than any crappy make out session,etc they showed her having with Jesse.Alex never did anything in half measure,that’s what made him special,he wasn’t just about the physical aspect of a relationship,as Rick said.

Jesse...what were they thinking :?:
He so did not fit in with the show and with the gang and as Isabel's husband,well let's not go there.I know I am going off topic here so I'll stop before I rant on any further.Just needed to let off steam.

I know I've carried on so excuse me...needed to get that out of my system
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

KarenEvans wrote:Jesse...what were they thinking :?:
Yes I myself hated the the whole Isabel is crying over the loss of Alex and than suddenly gets married story line of season 3 :roll:

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which I hate more.Jesse or Grant?
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

killjoy wrote:
KarenEvans wrote:Jesse...what were they thinking :?:
Yes I myself hated the the whole Isabel is crying over the loss of Alex and than suddenly gets married story line of season 3 :roll:

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which I hate more.Jesse or Grant?
I dislike Grant more - Alex was still alive then - because Jesse is in my opinion more a way of Isabel's to try getting "normal" and trying to move on ... she didn't tell him about her origins, that kinda makes me think that Isabel didn't trust him that all and that Alex's death shocked her so much that she stopped thinking rational :twisted: and just reached for the next person to convince herself that she wasn't cursed with a spell when it came to happiness or something *shrugs*

and I also agree with what Rick said :)

Trude
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Sternbetrachter wrote:I dislike Grant more - Alex was still alive then - because Jesse is in my opinion more a way of Isabel's to try getting "normal" and trying to move on ... she didn't tell him about her origins, that kinda makes me think that Isabel didn't trust him that all and that Alex's death shocked her so much that she stopped thinking rational :twisted: and just reached for the next person to convince herself that she wasn't cursed with a spell when it came to happiness or something
Hear, hear! Exactly what I would have put down, if you hadn't already, first. :wink: