When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Why does a lot of fanfiction have Alex's family either a military family itself due to his dad? Or most of his brothers being in the military?

Now I'll admit I'm one who hasn't seen every ep but I don't remember ever seeing that about Alex's family or the fact that he had brothers at all.But like I said I haven't seen every episode so I know there's a lot I've missed.

Thanks for any help.
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

I could be wrong, but I think the military family thing might be from the Roswell High books. I know that Alex had several brothers in the books, and if I remember correctly, Alex's dad was military and wanted the same for Alex. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... it's been a while since I've read them.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

jbangelo wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the military family thing might be from the Roswell High books. I know that Alex had several brothers in the books, and if I remember correctly, Alex's dad was military and wanted the same for Alex. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... it's been a while since I've read them.
You're quite right... there were a lot of references to the military stuff on the melinda metz books... it even became tied up into the alien plotline, because they discover in the later books that Alex's dad was a military liason with project clean slate (an ominous alien hunting organization that Valenti, from the books, was in charge of... though Alex's dad insisted to him that he didn't want to kill aliens.

Anyway, yes, there was a lot of stuff about Alex's family in the military in the books, which got tied into the Alex/Isabel romance plotline too... bringing Izzy over for dinner to meet the major. :]

I'd be surprised that *that* many writers have adopted the idea for Roswell-show fanfics, because the few times we saw Alex's dad, he REALLY didn't look like an army type. More like an absent-minded professor. :D
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

Okay --you folks with the timelines all set ...

How long exactly were Isabel and Jesse together before they fled Roswell? What was the date of their wedding?
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

isabelle wrote:Okay --you folks with the timelines all set ...

How long exactly were Isabel and Jesse together before they fled Roswell? What was the date of their wedding?
Oddly enough, this has popped up recently - check back on page 28 of the thread. Briefly:

- We don't know the date of the wedding, based on the 'to have and to hold' airdate, november 14th 2001 seems plausible.

- The day Isabel left Roswell would have been probably may 31st or june 1st 2002.
That adds up to a little over six and a half months, by my reckoning.

Hope that helps.

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

nefarious_liaison
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nefarious_liaison »

I'd say Isabel and Jesse were together for approximately 7 months, as they were married early-mid November (assuming), and Isabel fled Roswell with the others the night of Graduation, which was June 12, 2002 (if I'm remembering my dates correctly).

Also, I have an inquiry of my own. So I've been recently rewatching my S2 DVDs, specifically the Hybrid Chronicles and Viva Las Vegas, and I'm confused as to the timeline.

What was the duration of the Laurie Dupree fiasco?

In - I believe - We Are Family, when Amy comes over to cheer up Jim over his being suspended as Sheriff, Jim mentions that it's January. (I assume the end of January, as Kyle's cover-up to Agent Duff to get the "blue crystals" out of his dad's office was to get his report card for his father to sign...) Now, in Disturbing Behavior when Amy's upset over Maria being AWOL (as Sean put it so eloquently), she says that it's mid-February.

My two assumptions are that, either, the writers - more than likely - did not keep track of dates (as we have seen oh-so-many examples of this in the past), or the duration of the Hybrid Chronicles was over a couples weeks to a month, then Viva Las Vegas two weeks later (early-mid March?).

Opinions?
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

nefarious_liaison wrote:and Isabel fled Roswell with the others the night of Graduation, which was June 12, 2002 (if I'm remembering my dates correctly).
Sorry, I'd like to point out that the June 12th date was wrong. That was when they THOUGHT they would have to leave Roswell, when they thought the special unit attack would come at the UFO convention.

Graduation night was earlier, because it caught them unawares when Bryce McCain was the graduation speaker, as well as the convention guest. We're not sure how much earlier it is, but Liz had her flashes 12 days before the convention, so probably on May 30th. I think that graduation was only one or two days later.

Hope that helps.

BTW, does anybody know what happened to http://www.crashdown.com ?? :( I haven't been able to get through for days.

pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

hey guys, jst wondering did courtney ever have a last name??

thx :D

vee
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

pLANETv33n3ss wrote:hey guys, jst wondering did courtney ever have a last name??

thx :D

vee
I don't think it was ever mentioned on the show. IMDB lists her full name as Courtney Banks, but I don't think there's anything in the true canon to back that up.

I sometimes refer to her as Courtney Brooks, which was the last name of Sara Downing's character on 'Smallville' ;)

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

I forget what tribe is River Dog from? Did the show ever say?