Epiphany (CC,M/L, MATURE) CH 21- Complete w/ A/N - 7/2/07

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 11 - 8/20/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Sorry for the delay on this update. :oops: And thank you for all the feedback. It really means alot. :D And a big thank you goes to my Beta
Roslover39. Thank you GF. :!:

A/N: I'm posting Ch 11 in 2 parts because it is so long. I will post part B Monday or Tuesday. It will be worth the wait.

Chapter 11a

West Roswell High~

Troy Cabrera……

Janice Campbell…...

Jason Curren……

Isabel sat stiffly in her cheap metal folding chair as Principal Forester alphabetically called the names of the students so they could go up on stage and receive their diplomas. Isabel became more nervous and unsure with each name that was announced. She looked around at the other students seated close by and didn’t see anyone that she grew up with. Had she made a mistake by not waiting to graduate with her brother and closest friends? She felt as if she was surrounded by strangers as she took this monumental step towards her future.

Carrie Davenport……

Brian Driskoll…..

Joshua Duncan…..

What was that piece a paper worth anyway; a document signifying the completion of my adolescence? Isabel bemoaned to herself. Am I ready to grow up and be an adult…to watch Max, Michael, Liz, Maria, and Kyle be carefree high school students? She asked herself. Between Max, Michael and herself, Isabel always felt like she was the more mature, levelheaded one. Ever since her and Max were adopted, she was always considered the oldest. But at this moment, she didn’t want to be levelheaded and mature. She wanted to find the nearest exit.

Misty Eaton……

Jeffrey Elliott…..

Tina Emerson….

Isabel Evans…..

Isabel stood up from her seat and felt as if her legs were made of Jell-O. Then she heard a familiar voice.

“Just take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.” It was Alex. “This is your time to shine, beautiful.” She grabbed his out stretched hand and began walking her trek up to the stage. Seeing him was just what she needed.

“Oh Alex, am I ever glad to see you!” She whispered as she stood on the stage waiting for the other students to accept their diplomas.

“I had a feeling you were going to need my services. Isabel, just look at how proud your parents are of you.” His voice was soothing in her ear as she looked out at the crowd and spotted her parents beaming faces. Even Max was smiling at her. This must be hard for him too, seeing his sister move forward with her life and in some ways, away from him. “He will be fine; this is about your journey. He has to make his own. Now get your diploma” Alex nudged her along.

Isabel walked up to Mr. Forester and triumphantly grabbed the diploma out of his hands and smiled at the faces that meant the most to her.

“This is for you Alex.” She whispered and then looked back to see that he was no longer standing beside her, just the next batch of students ready to take on the future.

Evan’s Residence~

After Isabel’s ceremony everyone congregated at the Evan’s residence for the party. The house was filled with people Liz knew as friends of Isabel and her parents, as well as a hand full of students from West Roswell High. The living room and kitchen were packed, and the sounds of laughter and conversation overflowed throughout the cozy house. Liz looked around for any sign of Max but she didn’t see him when she walked into the house. She saw Maria and Michael talking to Kyle and his dad by the buffet table, so she had spent the first ten minutes mingling with kids from her school.

“Liz, tell me, are you still Harvard bound?” Dennis Seymour asked as he swirled his punch around in his cup. Dennis was in Liz’s advanced placement biology class and the president of The West Roswell High Science Club that she used to be the treasurer of. He was the last person she expected to see at the party. Liz figured out that he had come with his mother, who was the director of the homeless shelter that Isabel volunteered at.

“Oh I don't know, I'm still weighing my options right now.” Liz answered as she shifted Isabel’s present uncomfortably to her other hand. Going to Harvard had been her ultimate goal but Liz no longer felt the complete certainty of her future the way she once did. Nothing had gone the way she planned…nothing was set in stone for her anymore. And she wasn’t sure how she felt about that.

“Well, you’ll never get into Harvard by riding the fence on your future. I mean, no one gets into the Harvard microbiology program by dropping out of the science club, come on now.” He was always blunt and opinionated. Where was Maria to save her from this jerk?

“You know Dennis; let me tell you something …” Liz was about to give him a tongue lashing when she felt someone touch her shoulder. She turned around and saw that it was Isabel. She stood next to Liz and flashed Dennis with the best fake smile she could muster.

“Dennis, I think your mom is looking for you in the kitchen.” Isabel lied. Liz gave her a look of supreme gratitude. She was not in the mood to defend herself; she’d been doing that all week.

“It was nice talking to you Dennis.” Liz said sarcastically as he walked away from them.

“He was always a mama’s boy.” Isabel muttered in irritation. “I’m so glad you could make it. Do you want something to eat or drink? We have plenty of goodies at the buffet table. As you can see, Michael has helped himself already.” She pointed with a chuckle at Michael who was holding a paper plate staked full of food and a chicken leg in his mouth.

“Maybe later. Here’s your gift, I hope you like it.” She handed the crystal jewelry box that was wrapped beautifully in a lavender rose patterned paper to Isabel. “And congratulations, it must feel great to be officially out of high school.”

“Terrified is more like the word I would use to describe how I feel. But I’m also excited at the same time.” Liz could see a slight glint of excitement in Isabel’s brown eyes as she spoke about her plans to attend Walbrooke Community College and all the perks they offer to freshmen.

Just then Liz saw Max walking in the front door carrying a large, poorly wrapped gift. Suddenly everything went quiet around Liz. The minute she saw him, her world tilted and shifted into slow motion and the only audible sound she heard was the quickness of her pulse. Isabel and the others no longer existed in that moment. His gaze went from Isabel to her. His hair was wind blown; his beautiful face was clean shaven. He was wearing the white button-down shirt that he had worn under his black dress jacket for the ceremony and black trousers that hugged his firm body. He gave her a scant smile as he walked towards her and she could have sworn she saw a blush form on his cheeks as he roamed the length of her body lustfully.

“Liz, are you listening?” Isabel asked breaking Liz out of her trance.

“Yes, I course I’m listening. Go on.”

This was insane, what’s wrong with me? She scolded herself. He’s the same Max who slept with Tess and got her pregnant, no matter what excuses he gave. She was still hurting and feeling inadequate about what transpired with him and Tess. Maybe it was something that she was never going to get past. He’s also the same Max who yelled and accused you of playing God just two nights ago. No matter what she told herself it wasn’t working. He did apologize for the way things got out of hand the other night on the balcony. How could she really blame him for being angry that she kept him in the dark for so long and stripped him of his right to decide his own fate?

Max hadn’t expected to see Liz right away after he came back from finally getting Isabel’s graduation gift. But there she was talking to Isabel. She was so beautiful. Was that a new dress? He wondered. The rich fuchsia colored dress was held up at the shoulders by thin spaghetti straps and the color made her skin glow under the soft light of the end table lamp that she was standing by. Her long dark brown hair laid in a silky mass of waves down her back. She was stunning to look at. Max was only able to assemble a flushed tinged smile as the sight of her and how amazing she looked reminded him of the dream he had. Instead of walking up to her with his desire pressing uncomfortably against the zipper of his pants, he made a bee-line to the gift table to drop off Isabel’s present and compose himself.

“May I have everyone’s attention please?” Announced Phillip Evans as he stood next to his wife. “Come here Izzie.” Isabel walked over to her parent’s side. “I’d like to propose a toast to my daughter Isabel, for making her mother and I proud each and everyday.” He gave her a big hug and then raised his cup in the air. “To you Isabel and the bright future that is still ahead of you.”

“To Isabel!” Everyone sounded off in unison with their punch cups high in the air.

…………..

“What’s with you tonight?” Maria asked Michael as she sat beside him on the couch in the den. It was less noisy and more private there. She noticed on the drive to Max and Isabel’s house that he was unusually quiet.

He set his paper plate down on the coffee table in front of him and turned to look at her. “I have nothing to offer you.”

“What are you talking about?” She was confused.

“Ask yourself Maria, where do you see me in five or ten years from now?”

“With me and happy…maybe a kid or two. Who knows I don’t want to think that far ahead. Like you told me once…I have you now.” She put his hand in hers.

“You won’t be saying that in a couple of years when I’m still working the grill while everyone else is in college.” He laid her hand down and stood up in front of her.

“That’s what this is about; you think everyone’s going to graduate and leave you behind.” She stood up and put her arms around his waist.

“Well, since I always assumed I’d be going back to my home planet, I never put much effort into school or made plans for the future that didn’t involve space travel.”

“Listen, you have a second chance and a whole year until we graduate. A lot can happen in that time.” She craned her neck up at him so she could admire the face she loved so much. “I’ll be here for you every step of the way.” He pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

…………….

As the evening progressed some of the guests went home, leaving only a few people not including Max, Michael, Kyle, Maria, and Liz, still enjoying the festivities. Through the evening Liz would catch Max looking at her. She had to admit, she couldn’t keep her eyes off him either for any length of time. Everyone she spoke to never received Liz’s full attention.

“Go talk to him.” Maria urged as she moved over closer to Liz on the living room sofa. “You can’t avoid him all night.”

“I’m not avoiding him. There just hasn’t been an opportunity for us to talk.” That was only half true. Between chit-chatting with Isabel, Maria, and just about everyone else at the party, Liz was all talked out. But most of all, she didn’t trust herself with what she might say to him. She was tired of the words spoken in anger and she was tired of seeing Tess when she looked at him.

“Isabel made out like a bandit tonight. Did you check out the kick-ass laptop her parents got her?” Kyle dropped heavily down on the sofa beside Liz, startling her a little.

“Yeah and did you see the gift Michael gave her?” Liz asked. Michael bought Isabel a picture frame made of wood that was varnished in a rich cherry finish. Inside the frame contained a rare picture of the whole gang in their usual booth, taken by Jeff Parker prior to Tess’s arrival. Even Kyle some how made it into the picture. It was hand engraved at the bottom with the quote:

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."

Seeing Isabel start to cry as she looked down at the frame and then put it to her chest caused Liz and Maria to cry as well. Michael just stuck his hands in his pockets and said “I take it she likes it.”

“Michael has an amazing ability to surprise you every now and then.” Maria added with proud grin.

Liz watched as Max began to help his mom and Isabel take the remaining bit of food from the buffet to the kitchen. As he worked, she noticed the subtle differences about him. She could see the outline and curves of his muscular torso through his shirt. But she could also see that he was slightly slimmer than he was before. His face was still the most handsome face she had ever seen but he appeared tired and older to her. Everything cell in her body wanted her to leap off the couch and put her arms around him and never let go, like nothing had changed between them…like the past year was some kind of horrible nightmare that she needed to wake up from. She missed the way he smelled, the way his strong hands fit into hers and the safeness she felt in those hands. Most of all it she missed her friendship with him and how no matter how bad she was feeling he was able to make it all go away with just his smile.

Liz stood up. “I need some air.” She muttered and then walked towards the door that led out to the back patio.
……………

Max stopped what he was doing when he noticed that Liz walked past him through kitchen and out the back door.

“Max, now here’s your chance. She’s all alone, so go talk to her. You two haven’t been able to keep your eyes off each other all evening.” Isabel whispered so their mom wouldn’t hear.

He had noticed several times during the course of the evening, Liz staring intently at him and then she’d quickly turn the other away. He wanted to talk to her but it seemed like every time he would get up the nerve, he’d find her conversing with someone else. He had so many questions that she could only answers.

“But Iz, what about all of this?” He asked, nodding in the direction of the left over food on the kitchen countertop.

“We’ll manage, now go on.” She playfully pushed him.

TBC :)
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic
~A once fallen king shall rise again and bring his bride back to life.~Ava in the uncut MITC
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC,M/L,Mature) CH 11b - 8/26/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Thank you to all readers for the wonderful feedback. I am truly overwhelmed. :mrgreen:

Roslover39: GF don't even worry about it. I know first hand what a bitch RL can be. I am just glad to have your support and guidance as I write my heart out. Thank you so much!! :D

Cocogurl:I couldn't agree more. I think the writers of the show wanted her to get over it too. :x

begonia9508: She never fully got over it. Not until her talk with Tess in the car. Maybe not even then. Who really knows. I'm glad you liked the ceremony.

frenchkiss70:Yeah I wanted to show why Michael was so eager to work harder in school in Busted. No more screaming.

FSU/MSW-94: I wanted to convey Iz's growth and seperation from the gang a little the way she was in S3. Alex is always present through out the fic in one way or another.

Amanda/Panacea: My ever faithful phantom. I'm always happy to hear anything you have to say about my writing. I'm the same way. I'm drawn more to the angsty type of fiction. If you want to find out what fics I will be posting after this, just click Hybrid Magic under my siggie. Congratulations will be first. I already have the first 2 chapters done.

A/N: Future Max flash back is in Dark Red, Liz's is Indigo, and Max's is Green. I hope it's not going to be too confusing. It's a colorful chapter. :lol:
Song lyrics are from The Scientist by Coldplay.

Chapter 11b

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are
I had to find you, tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart
Tell me your secrets, and ask me your questions
Oh let's go back to the start
Running in circles, coming up tails
Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy
Oh it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said that it would be this hard
Oh take me back to the start

I was just guessing at numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science, science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Tell me you love me, come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start
Running in circles, chasing our tails
Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy
Oh it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
I'm going back to the start

The Scientist ~ Coldplay

Evan’s Residence~

Liz sat on the wooden bench under the large mulberry tree in the Evan’s back yard. The wind was cool for this time of year and the smell of freshly cut grass tickled her nose. She looked up to the night sky hoping to see the North Star. Her Grandma Claudia taught her as small child to find the North Star in the sky to affirm her place in the universe when everything in her world seemed out of place. It always gave her comfort. She couldn’t find it tonight. The light from the patio made it hard to see any stars in the sky.

“Liz.” Max walked to where Liz was seated. “So this is where you’re hiding?”

“I’m not hiding. I just needed some fresh air.” Liz replied a little more defensively then she had intended to.

“I wanted to tell you that I’m glad you came tonight. I know it meant a lot to Isabel…and to me.” He moved closer to her so he could get a better look at her face. “And you look amazing. Sorry I didn’t get the chance to tell you that sooner.”

“Thank you Max.” She muttered shyly.

“Liz, there is something that’s been bugging me…kind of haunting me really and I thought if anyone would know, it would be you.” He sat down beside her on the bench being careful not to invade her space. “It’s about the future.”

“I thought we covered this the other night.”

“Not quite. I mean its a little earth shattering to find out that the future version of yourself traveled through time to intentionally break your heart in order to save the planet. You have to expect me to have some questions on the subject.”

“Max, please…”

“What I really want to know is if I might have told you anything about the future.” He interrupted. “Did I go into detail about us, for instance? Like, did we get married? Were we happy?”

“What difference does it make now? Those two people don’t exist anymore.” Suddenly sadness pressed heavily on her chest.

“I just need to know.” He muttered insistently. Liz shook her head not wanting to go down that road again.

“Please Liz.” His plea was barely a whisper. But it was enough to make her surrender.

Liz took a deep breath in and stood up from the bench. His close proximity was too distracting for her.

"We got married in Vegas, Max." Liz could immediately see some kind of recognition in his expression.

"The vision I saw when we were there, it was real?" Max felt like any minute the ground was going to give way.

“From what you told me; we were inseparable and very much in love.” She added mournfully.

“Damn it!” Max roughly raked his hands through his thick dark hair and blew out a frustrated breath as he got up from the bench and walked a few steps away from her. For a beat his gaze settled on a point off in the distance. Slowly, he turned around to face her again. Tension tightened his jaw as he tried to control his temper and remain calm.

A few second neither one spoke a word. They just stared at one another letting the enormity of everything sink in.

“I know why you did what you did and I’m honestly trying to make peace with it.” He stood beside her. “I can’t help but feel this tremendous sense of sadness for what might have been.”

She nodded. “I’ve been grieving for a whole year now with this knowledge.”

“And I only added more to that grief by sleeping with Tess.” He looked down, not wanting her to see the shame on his face. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you and I wish with all my heart that it never happened.” He looked earnestly into her deep brown eyes.

“But it did, and that’s where we’re at.” She moved away from his gaze. It was too searching and intense. Like he was trying to reach out to her soul the way he used to. A part of her wanted him to see into her soul again. She missed the connection. She had been feeling lost without it. Like the North Star that she couldn’t see tonight. Without their connection she was lost and so was her purpose and place in this world.

Feeling a strong pull inside of him to do something---anything to comfort her and be closer to her, Max gently grabbed Liz’s arm and spun her around until she was facing him again and her body was pressed excruciatingly close to his. He slid his hand under her hair and cupped the back of her head as he brought his lips down firmly onto to hers.

Liz’s first instinct was to fight, to fight this man who had hurt her time and time again, whether intentionally or not. But something deep in inside her let go the moment his mouth touched hers.

Max could instantly feel their connection build the deeper their kiss became.

Max had to hold onto Liz tighter as the flashes took over and bombarded him with images and feelings in almost lightening speed.

He saw his future self climbing through Liz’s window. His words reaffirmed what Liz had told him.

“14 years from now, we are taken over by our enemies.”

“We need to change the future.”

“Liz, what's about to happen over the next few days is critical to the history of this planet. Things between us are about to change...grow deeper. We become inseparable, and nothing comes between us ever again, until…”

“The closer that you and I grew, the worse it got with Tess, and eventually she left Roswell. And it turned out Tess was critical to our survival. The four of us - Michael, Isabel, Tess, and I...we made a complete unit. We all had different gifts, and with one of us missing, we weren't as strong, and everything fell apart”.

“I need you to help me fall out of love with you”.

Max saw Liz and his future self spying on him and Tess from inside Whittaker’s office, and felt Liz’s since of hopelessness of the situation as well as her curiosity about what her future with Max was like.

“So, um...did we get married?”

“We eloped. We were 19. We drove to Vegas. Got married at the Elvis chapel. Congratulations, kids”.

“We had a great wedding. You called Maria, Michael, Isabel, and Alex, and had them meet us halfway. We spent the whole night singing and dancing in some dive outside Phoenix, and at the end of the night, "I Shall Believe" came on the radio.”

Max felt the ache in her heart, knowing that she was never going to experience any of it. Then he got a of flash of Liz going to Kyle for help and seeing them prepare to stage the scene to make it look like they slept together. Then Max received a flash of Liz looking at him from her bed as he is staring down at her with Kyle. He felt her shame.

He heard her words of love and justification to his future self.

“Don't you realize what you are to me...and you're always gonna be? You're the love of my life. Everyone else is gonna be second best. There'll never be another you.”

Those sweet words were quickly replaced with images of Liz with Sean. Just brief glimpses of playful banter and stolen kisses that Max could sense left her feeling guilty.

A quick and painful image of him kissing Tess at the prom, then Alex’s funeral seemed to over take him. He felt everything Liz felt about Alex and his death that she was incapable of expressing; all the unshed tears and locked up sorrow for her friend as well as her rage at the notion that his death was a suicide and the helplessness of not being able to convince others that his death was not an accident. Then the realization that she lost her friendship with Max--a friendship she once cherish so dearly. Max felt the separation and loss she felt from everyone.

He almost broke free from Liz as the images of him and Liz in jeep the night he confessed to her about sleeping with Tess and getting her pregnant racked his mind. Her feelings of betrayal were brutal and heart wrenching.

Then he saw her as she watched him tonight and felt her internal struggle to keep her distance from him. The fight to deny the love she still held on to for him even after everything. She still loved him.

Liz was also being seized by flashes that came so fast, she could barely tell when one began and other ended. Faint images of Max in the white room and his still underlining fear of going back there. A flash of the first time they said they loved each other appeared clearly.

“Whether I die tomorrow or fifty years from now, my destiny is the same: it's you. I want to be with you, Liz. I love you.”

“I love you.”

Then a flash came of them standing in the pod chamber after getting the “destiny message” from his mother. She felt his confusion as well as a new found sense of purpose, then heart break as he watched her walk away from him.

“Goodbye, Max.”

She saw herself calculatingly break his heart with her memorized words.

“I may love you Max but I…I don’t want to die for you.”

Flashes of seeing Liz in bed with Kyle and how it broke him apart nearly sent Liz over the edge. So much pain was caused by that one desperate act. She could sense how much it changed Max forever.

A quick flash of images came that she could barely decipher. One was of him getting ready for the prom. He was happy and excited as he looked at his reflection in mirror while he adjusted his bow tie. She could feel his hope for their reconciliation that night. Those feelings were replaced with regret and a sense of loss from the second image. It was of him sitting alone and looking down at his boutonnière.

A brief and horrific flash of Alex in the black body bag came into her mind. So much blood…so much blood…so much blood---can’t bring him back. She heard in Max’s mind.

She saw herself at the wake in Alex’s bedroom and saw all the anger she was projecting towards Max through his eyes. The scathing grief driven looks she gave him at school and the words spoken in anger as she got into the cab to go to Sweden.

“Liz, if you go, our friendship is over.”

“I guess that's the price I have to pay.”

An image of Max standing outside the conservatory looking up at the stars came in her mind. She felt his utter loneliness. Heard the words he spoke to Tess.

“My whole life I've wanted to be this person, this normal person. Human. My whole life I've been thinking that this alien side of me was this bad thing. This thing that made me a freak. This monster. I realize that I haven't just been hiding from the government and the law all this time. I've been hiding from myself. I don't know what's going on anymore. I thought I knew but I don't. I've lost everyone.”

She wanted to pull away from Max as soon as the next batch of images flooded her. But she couldn’t escape them because they came too quickly for her to respond. Only abstract images of naked flesh, blonde curls, moans of pleasure and release flashed as well as the jumbled thoughts in Max’s head at the time.

This is all wrong…Liz…Tess said she would be here for eternity…I want Liz…Liz slept with Kyle…I shouldn’t be here…Liz left you again…Liz hates you…I don’t want to hurt anymore…You’re a freak…you need to be with your own kind…I belong with Liz…Liz loves me…Tess loves me…I don’t love Tess…LIZ!

A vivid image of a baby inside a womb--Max’s baby flashed through her mind. His pride, his shame, and his fear of his son were easily registered by Liz. She could feel the love he felt for him and the pain of never seeing him again, along with the helplessness he felt not being able to protect him the way a father should.

Blinding hatred and rage surged through her all of a sudden from Max, as an image flashed of Max looking down at the almost remorseless face of Tess right before she was transported inside the granolith.

Then Liz saw herself tonight through his eyes. She felt his unwavering love for her and his desire, like an ever pressing need to be closer to her---to feel her---to connect the way they were able to before they made a mess of things. She felt his human side cry out to her before they broke apart, severing their intimate connection.

They looked at one another, breathless and wide eyed; not knowing what to make of everything they saw and the emotions that were shared.

“Hey, Maxwell! There you are.” Max and Liz both turned abruptly toward the back door. They watched as Michael walked swiftly in their direction. “Your mom has been looking for you. She needs your help with something. I tried to help but I think I made things worse.”

Max turned and faced Liz. She knew he didn’t want to leave it like this. “I have to go.” He shrugged reluctantly, conveying with his eyes how much of a struggle it was for him to walk away from her after what they shared.

She lifted her wrist and looked down at her watch. “It’s…it’s getting late anyway.” She muttered, while still trying to control the rapidness of her heart beat. “and I have an early shift in the morning.”

Max gently grabbed both of her hands and placed them into his.
“Is it alright if I give you a call tomorrow?” He asked sweetly, holding his breath until she answered. She gave him a slight unsure nod and watched his face light up.

When she was alone again in the darkness of the back yard, her gaze lifted to the night sky and found her North Star at long last.

TBC
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
hybridmagic
~A once fallen king shall rise again and bring his bride back to life.~Ava in the uncut MITC
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 12 - 9/3/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Here is Chapter 12. Any feedback is welcome and needed. :D

Chapter 12

The CrashDown Café ~ Backroom

The next morning Liz woke up feeling more at ease than she had felt in months. Although the pain of what Max did was still present, it no longer felt like an unbearably heavy weight on her chest. She remembered every vision and emotion that she received from Max last night. There was some that she wanted to forget but the others she cherished and kept close to her heart. She took from them the realization that despite what Max did, he never stopped loving her and she wasn’t the only one hurting.

“So what are your plans for the rest of the day?” Maria asked as she took her headband off and placed it inside her locker. “Planning a rendezvous with a soulful, dark haired mystery man that we all know and love?”

They both worked the early shift on Sundays so they could have the rest of the day off.

Liz glared at her. She was still annoyed about Maria setting her up with Max the other night.

“Oh come on. Don’t look at me like that. Michael told me he caught you two last night looking pretty cozy in each others arms. Tell me everything.”

“We just kissed, that’s all.” She lied. It was definitely more than just a kiss. But it would be too difficult to explain what it was actually when she wasn’t even sure herself. She didn’t know where her and Max stood. It was obvious there was still an intense connection and the love was still there. Trust, on the other hand was the big stumbling block for both of them right now.

“Okay. It’s a start, right?” Satisfied with that answer for now, Maria grabbed her purse and started toward the exit door then turned around to face Liz. “I’m picking up Kyle and we are going to put flowers on Alex’s grave. Do you want to come? You haven’t been out there since the funeral. It would be good for you to go.”

With all the chaos of finding his killer and dealing with the aftermath of what Tess did, it slipped her mind. Poor Alex. What kind of friend am I? She chastised herself.

“Yes, I’d love to go with you guys.” She looked down at the uniforms they both were still wearing. “Maybe we should change first.”

The Basketball Court~

Max and Michael fell tiredly down on the bench, both out of breath and sweaty. Sundays at the basketball court had become a kind of ritual for them. It was the only place they could talk things out and have fun doing what they both enjoyed. The court was a common ground for them. Even though Max was the better player of the two, Michael had the height advantage that sometimes, not always, paid off. But he didn’t need the advantage today.

“Your game is seriously off today, man.” Michael took a big swig of his Gatorade then sat it beside him.

Max opened his water bottle, took a drink, and then poured the rest over top of his head.

“My head’s not in the game today, I guess.” Max looked straight ahead, not wanting to look Michael in the eye.

“Wanna talk about it?” Michael asked out of character. He really didn’t like heart to heart discussions but he felt like he had to say something. “Let me guess…Liz.”

“Mostly, but it’s complicated and way too personal.” Max answered as he shook his head.

“I saw you and Liz kissing last night in your back yard. It looked to me like things were progressing nicely between you to. What’s so complicated? Has she forgiven you for screwing Tess? Honestly, I’d be surprised if she didn’t but she’s more forgiving than most. Maria would’ve drugged the shit out for months if I cheated. But you two weren’t technically together at the time. So I guess it wasn’t really cheating, it was more like…”

“Michael you’re rambling. Stop please.” Max grabbed the ball off the ground and held it in his lap. “It was cheating. I loved Liz even when I was with Tess. And Liz never stopped loving me. It was something unspoken between us that I was too stupid and blind to see even though it was right in front of my face.” He angrily slammed the basketball down on the cement and stood up.

“Well, what are you gonna do now?”

Max rolled his eyes and ran his hands through his water and sweat soaked hair. “I honestly don’t know. Despite what everyone thinks, I don’t have all the answers, especially when it comes to my own life. I may be the king but I’m not infallible and I’ve made enough mistakes to prove it.”

“The way I see it, you have two choices here Maxwell. Fight for her or let her go.”

Is it really that simple? Max wondered. There were so many other obstacles that Michael didn’t know about. He wasn’t comfortable talking to him about this since he was keeping important information about the future from him. It weighed on his conscience.

“Okay enough about me; let’s talk about you and Ms. Deluca.” Max smiled as he changed the subject. “Things appear to be going great between the two of you. You seem more settled and happy.” It made him remember when Michael decided to not go with them to Antar. Max knew, with out question, it was because of Maria.

“It’s better than I could’ve ever imagined.” Michael saw the look of envy and reflection on Max’s face, remembering the last time they discussed their sex lives. “And Max, it’s better when you love the person, human or not.” Max knew he was referring to his experience and their conversation about sex with Tess. He grabbed the basketball and shoved it roughly into his gym bag.

“I’m really happy for you and Maria. You deserve all the happiness in the world.” Max threw the bag over his shoulder then looked at his watch. “We’d better get going.”

Max knew in his heart what he wanted to do. There was no decision to be made—no other choice for him. He just hoped Liz would be opened to it and not shut him out. There’s only one way to find out. He told himself on the drive home from the basketball court.

Roswell Cemetery~

Kyle shuffled his feet and kept his hands in his pockets. He looked everywhere else but down at Alex’s headstone. Liz put one arm around his waist and rested her head on his shoulder. She looked down at all the beautiful flowers that were placed by other mourners of her best friend, reaffirming for her that she was not the only one who felt loss.

Maria kept busy arranging the flowers that they brought with the others that were already there. The beautiful mixture of red Gerbera daisies and wild flowers from the area that they picked out from the florist, rested in a heavy iron vase.

“Hello Alex. I’m here with Liz and Kyle.” Maria spoke softly. “We’re sorry that
we haven’t come sooner. It’s been really hectic. You…you probably already know that don’t you?” She sniffled into her Kleenex. “I miss you everyday. Life’s not the same without you.”

Liz let go of Kyle and stood next to Maria then she looked down. “We all miss you. I’m sorry about what happened to you. I feel so responsible in many ways. I hope you can forgive me.” Liz wiped away her stray tears and then reached out to Kyle. He wiped his nose on his sleeve and stood beside Liz with a stricken look on his face.

“Kyle do you want us to give you some privacy?” Maria asked, noticing the look of embarrassment on his face. He only nodded his reply.

Liz and Maria stood by the Jetta and watched Kyle.

“Hey man. I’m…I’m so sorry that I didn’t try harder to stop Tess from killing you. I’m living with it everyday. You were a great friend—the best I ever had. And I’ll never forget all the great times we had together. I remember having a good time being stuck with you in the cave from hell. I don’t think I could have remained calm if you hadn’t been there. You know, to this day I can’t listen to American Pie without thinking of you and those freaky blue alien crystals.” Kyle chuckled remembering their ordeal in the cave.

“Oh and our trip to Vegas; AP Statistics didn’t pay off for you did it?” Kyle turned around and smiled at Liz and Maria through his tears. “You don’t have to worry about your girls; I’ll keep in eye on them and protect them with my life. And that goes for Isabel too. It’s the least I can do. Goodbye Alex.”

Kyle wiped the tears out of his eyes and walked over to where Maria and Liz were standing.

“What? It was a piece of cake.” He muttered with false arrogance. The girls just smiled at him as they got into the car.

Liz’s bedroom~ A/N: There is dialogue from the episode Busted in here. I don't own it and don't claim that I wrote the actual dialogue just the reaction.

Liz sat on the floor of her closet trying to sort through the remainder of the boxes that she had on top of her shelf. She reached for the box marked BOOKS and opened it. The first book on the pile was her grandma Claudia’s leather bound edition of Lost Treasures that she gave to Liz before she died.

Liz had been so proud that her grandma had finally gotten her book published and it was going to be in the American Journal of Archaeology. But Liz couldn’t remember why she boxed it up. A painful memory, Liz surmised.

She opened it up and looked through the illustrations and photographs of the found artifacts. When she got to the middle of the book she found a long envelop pressed flat and Liz written on the front it. She knew immediately what it was before she opened it. With out fail, each time her grandma would visit she would stick notes of encouragement, poems, or quotes somewhere in Liz’s room for her to find after she left. Liz had assumed she didn’t have enough time before she had the stroke that took her life.

“Oh grandma.” Liz muttered thoughtfully as she opened the letter; recognizing the beautiful cursive handwriting.

My Dearest Honeybear,

True to form, here are my words of wisdom for you to find.

You have become what I always knew you would be...stunningly beautiful and fiercely intelligent but as I also predicted, very conflicted in your love life. While I was here we discussed soul mates. Soul mates are a serious business. They are who our souls call out to and recognize. Your grandpa was mine, and since his death, not a day goes by that I don’t still feel his soul around me. If you believe that this Max is the one and you feel it in your heart, then he’s your soul mate Honeybear, you can’t fight it. The sooner you come to terms with it, the better you’ll feel about the decision you ultimately will have to make. Trust in what I’ve always told you; follow your heart.

I love you,
Grandma

Liz held the letter against her heart and let the tears flow freely down her cheeks as she remembered those were the exact words she spoke in her dream several nights ago. The letter gave her a feeling of warmth and comfort as if she was wrapped in grandma’s arms. She missed her so much, especially now when she was so unsure about the direction of her life. But reading the actual content of her letter and knowing it was written back when things between her and Max were less complicated, left Liz more conflicted than ever. She remembered the idealism of the girl who thought her biggest worries were of what she already knew. How had her life become so complicated and far removed from what it once was?

“Liz.” She heard heard Maria say as she came into her room, snapping her back to the present. Liz quickly put the letter back into the book, wiped away any trace of tears, and stood up from her seated position in the closet.

“Still working on that damn closet? Man, you and your obsessions.” Maria walked over to Liz and looked down at the pile that was at Liz’s feet and shook her head. “Okay, enough of this madness. You’re coming with me.” Maria grabbed a duffle bag out of the pile and handed it to Liz. She was sick of seeing her friend in pain...sick of seeing her friend’s eyes red and swollen from crying all the time. Enough was enough.

“Where?” Liz sniffled. “Where are we going?” What was Maria up to now?

“You’ll see.” Maria gave her wicked grin and began helping Liz stuff the bag with clothes.

TBC
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 13 - 09/07/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Hello Readers,

I hope I haven't confused anyone with the changes :? . And I thank everyone for their wonderful feedback :oops: :D . I appreciate and encourage all of it. I'm posting a little earlier than I have before. But this was fun to write. Hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 13

Max’s Bedroom~

Max sat on his bed staring down at the cordless phone in front of him. It was a position he had been sitting in for over fifteen minutes battling with himself over whether or not to call Liz. On the drive home from playing basketball with Michael he had been so sure about what he was going to do. But once he had the phone in his hand, he hesitated. Damn it, he knew he wanted to be with her again. He wanted to start over. But he didn’t know where to start from.

With the dream and the flashes he received from kissing Liz, he was left feeling completely unworthy of her love. He felt tainted in a way for giving into his baser needs and being weak and careless. Something he knew Liz would never do. She was brave enough to do what she did and stood behind it. He didn’t know if he would’ve been capable of doing what she did if he was given the choice. His future self must have known that. He still didn’t like that she lied to him and kept him from making his own decisions but he fully understood it now and a part of him admired her for it.

He picked up the phone. “Gotta take the first step.” He urged himself out loud. He dialed her number and waited.

“Parker residence.” Jeff Parker answered the phone after three rings.

“Hello Mr. Parker. Can I talk to Liz?”

Max could hear Liz’s dad blow out an irritated breath. “Is this Max?”

“Yes…sir.” Max answered hesitantly. What other guy would be calling her? Sean?

“Well Max she’s not here. She’s staying over night at Maria’s. You can reach her there.” Click! He abruptly hung up on Max.

Was Sean still calling and was she still seeing him? Max remembered the flashes of Liz with Sean and how it briefly stung him to see and sense how different Sean made her feel. She seemed less inhibited and more carefree. It was a side of her he hadn’t seen in a long time. Max stood up from the bed and began to pace a little as he debated whether or not to call over at Maria’s. The image of Liz on top of Sean flashed like a warning sign and it made up his mind for him.

But there was no answer at Maria’s house. Now he was getting worried.

Michael would know where they were.

“No, I don’t know where they went.” Michael said on the other line. “Maria got pissed at me today about some shit and told me not to bother talking to her till I’ve learned how to behave myself. So much for things going great between us.” Michael put a handful of spicy potato chip into his mouth and crunched down on them. “Call them on their cell phones. Damned if I’m gonna call her.”

When there was no answer when he called their cell phones and an unsuccessful phone conversation with Kyle, he began to panic. A number of scenarios played in his mind. Alien invasion… Sean…FBI…car accident…Sean. He grabbed his keys and took off out the door.

The Carlsbad Oasis Spa~

Liz couldn’t believe that she let Maria talk her into going to a spa. Ms. Deluca won two gift certificates to the Carlsbad Oasis Spa from a raffle at a convention for new entrepreneurs in New Mexico. Since she was traveling back and forth to Albuquerque to lend a hand with her terminally ill brother, she gave the certificates to Maria and Liz instead. But here Liz was, sitting in a warm, slimy mud bath that came up to her chin with Maria right next to her.

“Maria, I don’t see how you could possibly enjoy this.” She giggled a little as she looked over at Maria’s serene expression. This was definitely Maria’s thing.

“It’s so relaxing and the botanical properties are wonderful for your skin.” Maria sighed, looking at Liz with one eye open.

“Are you kidding me? It’s gross.” Liz raised one hand out of the sludge and watched as it slid in chunks through her fingers. She was tempted to flick some of the gunk at Maria but she knew Maria would pay her back the same way and the idea of getting that stuff on her face gave her the chills.

“Shhh. Close your eyes and try to not think about what you’re sitting in. Besides were not going to be in here much longer. And then it’s off to the massage.”

“You know Max is supposed to call me tonight. He doesn’t even know where we are.”

“Ay, what did I say before we got here? Cell phones off and the guys are not to be mentioned.” Maria elbowed Liz under the sloppy mud. “It’s you and me babe and of course Alejandro the Masseur.” She purred.

“It’s a guy.” Liz looked around the room. “Can I choose who does my massage?”

“Yeah, I suppose you can. But from I’ve been told he’s the best.”

As she lay face down, covered in only a thin cream colored sheet on the massage table in the dimly lit room filled with scented candles and soothing music, Liz tried to relax as much as she could. She had never received a massage from a strange man before. In that small fraction of time when all was well between her and Max he would massage her shoulders after a long study session. That was it. But this was far beyond her comforts zone. It was good to stretch past it once in a while. She tried to reassure herself.

“Liz, just let me know at anytime if the pressure is too deep.” Alejandro said softly as he pulled the sheet down to her panty line.

Why are we on a first name basis and why does he have to look like Antonio Banderas?She thought to herself as she heard him pour, what she assumed was oil into the palm of his hands.

“Okay.” She answered in a muffled voice. She could feel the warmth of his hands on her low back. He made long gliding strokes with both large hands up her back and then back down several times, then concentrated on the right side, kneading and pulling gently on her supple back and shoulder muscles. She felt like she was in heaven.

This must be where you go when you die. She sighed to herself.

Her mind began to wonder off and she could swear that she heard Max’s voice.

“She’s as beautiful as her mother.” She felt Max lovingly kiss her on the forehead as he laid a baby swaddled in a soft pink blanket in her arms. A thatch of dark brown hair peeked out from the top of the blanket. Instantly she recognized this baby, like she had known her all her life. So much love filled her heart as she stared at the beautiful face of her daughter and then at her loving husband.

“Thank you for giving me so much to be happy for.” Max said with a gleam of joyful tears in his eyes and then reached down and sweetly touched her cheek as a lone tear rolled down it.

“Liz, wake up. The sessions over.” Alejandro whispered as he shook her awake.

She grabbed the sheet around her and sat up.

“Where’s Max…where’s my daughter?” She asked as she looked intently around the room.

“Miss, you must’ve been dreaming.” He looked at her with concern. “I’ll just leave you alone so you can get dressed.”

Liz sat there feeling strangely melancholy and dejected as if she had been handed a gift only to have it snatched from her hands. Liz stepped down from the table and got dressed. On the ride to the hotel with Maria she decided to try to put the dream out of her mind and just have a good time. It was just a dream anyway.

The Ramada Inn: Carlsbad~

“Michael makes me so mad sometimes!” Maria exclaimed as she blew on her freshly polished fingernails.

“I thought we weren’t going to talk about Max or Michael. Your rules remember?” Liz stretched out on the hotel room’s queen size bed. She was glad they were able to put their money together and get a room. After a morning at the Crashdown, visiting Alex’s grave, cleaning out her closet, and having a two hour spa treatment, she didn’t think she could spend another hour on the road back to Roswell.

“I know. It just irks me how inconsiderate he can be sometimes.” Maria threw her bottle of nail polish back into her purse and sat down in bed next to Liz. “Take for instance today, he came over to my house from playing basketball and automatically expected sex from me. I couldn’t do it, he was too sweaty.”

Liz couldn’t help but laugh. “I can’t believe you Maria. You can sit in smelly brown goo for thirty minutes but you can’t make love to a sweaty Michael. You’re a riot.”

“Don’t knock the goo girlie, my skin’s never felt better.” She demonstrated by rubbing the smooth skin of her calves. Which only made Liz laugh even harder. It felt so good to laugh. At one point she didn’t know if she would ever hear her own laughter again.

“I’ve actually had a really good time. Thank you for kidnapping me. I needed this.”

Maria put her hand on top of Liz’s. “Oh sweetie, I know you did. It was written all over you face when I picked you up.”

“Did I look that bad?”

“Not bad just…pitiful” Maria gave her a little smile hoping she didn’t hurt her feelings.

“Thanks.” Liz muttered sarcastically

“Listen, you’ve been through a lot these past couple months. You can’t expect to come out the other side without it some internal and external damage.”

Just then, there was a knock at their door startling both of them. They looked at one another then back at the door.

“Did you order room service?” Liz asked as she sat up on the bed.

“They don’t have room service here.” Maria quickly grabbed the pepper spray that her mom made her carry in her purse and started walking toward the door with Liz close behind her.

Inching their way closer to the door they stopped dead in their tracks when they heard a click sound coming from the lock on the other side of the door. When the door opened both girls screamed and Maria unloaded her pepper spray.

TBC
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 14- 9/21/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Dear Readers
Sorry for such a long delay. Exams have been taking center stage unfortunately. Thank you everyone for all the generous feedback.

tequathisy: :lol: :lol:
begonia9508: very true I have had it sprayed in my face on accident. It's evil stuff. :lol:
frenchkiss70: yeah it was fun to write the lighter stuff.
aussietrueblue: Thank you. Glad you found it.
Roslover39: Like I said before your feedback touched me. Thank you for your continued unwavering support.
Amanda: Your feedback always brings a smile to my face. I hope you keep reading and read the new one that I have posted.
Cocogurl: I'm happy you like it and I hope I wont disappoint you.
FSU/MSW-94: I'm glad you like the new banner. Yeah ITA the girls needed some R&R in a bad way. :lol:
carter13: Thank you for your feedback. You'll just have to read Ch.14 to find out. :wink:
behrluv32: :wink: :lol: Thank you.
maya Better late then never. I'm happy that you found it. Thank you for your feedback.
kitten: Thank you. :D

*BTW my Author's Chat will be on Wed. Sept. 27th at 9pm EST on Roswell Heaven. Hope to see you there so I can answer any question you have about Epiphany.*

Feed Back is needed and appreciated.

On with the show....

Song Lyric from Take it by Staind

Chapter 14

The Ramada Inn: Carlsbad~

“Do you think we should just break in like this?” Suddenly hesitant to proceed, Max watched as Michael slid his hand down the lock of the hotel door, unlocking it with his powers.

“You want to know if Liz’s okay, right. I mean that’s why you talked me into riding with you through sixty miles of desert in the middle of the night.”

Max didn’t know what else to do. When he couldn’t locate her whereabouts, the familiar nagging feeling of dread came over him. Just because they were no longer together as couple and there was still a rift between them, didn’t stop him from feeling the need to keep her safe. In the past he had always made it a point to know where she was at all times, even when they weren’t getting along.

Michael opened the door to the sounds of screams and then the feeling of something wet hitting his face, proceeded by an intense fiery burning in his eyes. Luckily, Max had put up his shield but not in time to protect Michael. He received it full blast in the face.

“Oh my God, Michael!” Maria dropped her weapon and ran over to where he was, doubled over and coughing.

“FUCK!” Michael howled in pain as he clawed at his face and eyes. “What the hell did you do that for?”

Max quickly closed the door behind him, not wanting to wake the people in the other rooms. With a distressed expression, he walked in front of Michael and moved his hands over his face, removing any trace of pepper spray and easing Michael’s discomfort.

“I’m so sorry Michael.” Maria grabbed his face, inspecting the already healed damage that she had inflicted. “I thought you were an intruder or an evil alien.” She rained light kisses all over his face while moving him toward the bed.

“Max, what are you doing here?” Liz asked, walking closer to where he was standing.

Looking around the room, then at her, Max suddenly felt like an irrational idiot. He tried to explain to Liz that when he couldn’t get a hold of her through various means, he panicked.

“So how did you finally figure out where we were?” Maria chimed in.

“Your mom.” Michael answered and then added. “Max came by my apartment all freaked out, I figured you’d have at least let your mom know where you were headed. But she thought you’d be home by now. We drove around for an hour before I spotted the Jetta. Thank God Carlsbad’s a small town.”

Max watched as Liz’s expression changed from confused to infuriated in a matter of a few seconds as she realized what lengths Max went to track her down.

“What right do you have to keep tabs on me?” Liz demanded sharply.

“I was just…I was worried about you.” He stuttered, surprised by her reaction. But still he continued. “You should always let someone know where you’re going. There’s still a threat out there.” It wasn’t a total lie; they were never free from a possible alien invasion or the FBI but he purposely omitted his insecurities and jealousy issues.

“Max I understand, I really do. But you have no right to tell me what I should or shouldn’t do.”

“I’m just trying to keep everyone safe.” He hesitantly reached out for her hand.

“No Max.” She pulled her hand out of his reach. “I’m not one of your subjects—I’m not even your girlfriend anymore.” She paused for a second when she saw pain register on his face. “One kiss and a few flashes does not constitute a reconciliation.”

Her words pierced him. “I know it doesn’t.” His words were raw with emotion. “But you love me. I felt it. Are you going to stand there and deny what I felt?”

“No I’m not. I do still love you but I’m confused right now and I don’t trust myself to make rational decisions that are best for me when my judgment is being dictated by my heart. Please understand.” She remembered her grandma’s words… “Follow your heart.” But how can you follow something that could be damaged beyond repair?

“I do.” The fact was that he did understand, maybe better than anyone what she was going through. Betrayed, confused, and heartbroken was how he felt after seeing her in bed with Kyle last fall. Just because he now knew the truth about what really happened, didn’t take away what it felt like for him and how it forever changed him. That pain was his to keep forever.

The tension in the room was thick and stifling. Maria felt like she was the unwilling spectator during the fight of the century. “Come on Spaceboy, we don’t need to bear witness to this.” Maria grabbed Michael’s hand along with her robe. “Let’s see what’s in the vending machines.”

Liz waited till Maria and Michael left before she proceeded.

“Can you honestly say that you’re not still bothered by the fact that I kept secrets from you and led you to believe I slept with Kyle? Be honest with me…be honest with yourself for once Max.”

His silence said it all.

“See. How do you expect me to just forget that you slept with Tess and got her pregnant?” She turned away from him. “God, I still can’t get those images out of my head. I honestly don’t think I ever will.”

Her was voice low and monotone as she spoke. “I saw you with her…in your flash.”

Oh God she saw us. Mortification and shame was painted on his face as he tried to explain, knowing full well it would be of little comfort to her. “Liz, I…”

She cut him off. “It was only glimpses…suggestions of it. No clear picture.” She spun around to face him. “It was your feelings that were the clearest.” And the most painful to take in. She wanted to add.

“I never wanted you to see any of that. Oh God Liz I’m so sorry.” He extended his hands to comfort her. But she eluded his grasp. Liz didn’t want his sympathy or solace. She wanted to be left alone. Up until his arrival at the hotel, she had started to feel like her old self again. She had let go a little bit of the weight on her shoulders and relaxed. She even had a glimmer of hope for her future with Max because of the dream she had during her massage at the spa. But right now she felt so far away from that happy future and from Max.

“Max, I need you to leave. Please.” Her voice was fragile as she pleaded with him.

His shoulders slumped in resignation. He knew that he had made thing worse by coming here. “I didn’t mean to ruin your retreat with Maria. I really didn’t.”

She walked toward the bathroom of the motel. It’s the only place she can go to be alone at the moment but then turned and faced him again.

“You expect the impossible from me Max. I can’t tell you what you want to hear and I can’t shut off my emotions to ease you conscience.” She walked into the bathroom and shut the door before he could respond.

Just then Maria and Michael walked backed into the room each with a bag of chips and a can soda in their hands. Maria scanned the room hoping that it was still in one piece.

“Where’s Liz?”

“In there.” Max motioned in the direction of the bathroom with his head and then walked past her out in to the parking lot.

“You know Max.” She called out to him before he made it to his car. “She laughed tonight…really laughed. Something she hasn’t done since Alex’s death.” Maria looked at Max in disgust. He only nodded sadly and got in the Chevelle.

“Don’t be too hard on him Maria.” Michael said as began to walk outside to the car.

“How can you expect me not to, when I see my best friend hurting from what he did? I love Max, I really do but I want Liz to be happy for once.”

“Maybe we should butt out. Maria, don’t look at me like that.” He covered her mouth before she could argue with him. “It’s none of our business.” He whispered to her as he removed his hand from her mouth and kissed her. “I have to go make sure he gets it home in one piece.” He pulled away from her embrace and walked through the opened door.

“Michael wait!” He stopped in the doorway. “I’m sorry about the pepper spray…and earlier today.”

“I know you are. I’m glad you carry that around with you. Just be careful with it from now on. It hurts like a bitch.”

She gave him a kiss goodbye then closed and locked the door. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the bathroom where she could hear sobs echoing through the small space inside the room.

The Chevelle~

Max sat behind the steering wheel in ridged silence as the dark eerie road stretched on for miles in front of him. Every muscle of his well developed arms flexed and contracted as he gripped the wheel in a vain attempt to keep his emotions in check.

An insistently grating Staind guitar solo played on the new CD player that he installed yesterday, drowning out the snores coming from Michael in the passenger’s seat.

He played the scenes from tonight over and over in his mind, trying to reconcile how wrong he had been. He knew she couldn’t have been with Sean. He sensed her feelings for him in the flashes he received. She cared about him and felt guilty for, perhaps leading him on but that was extent of it. I couldn’t leave well enough alone. He chastised himself.

Liz had a right to be angry. He wasn’t her keeper or her king. She owed him nothing. Why couldn’t he move past this? Why couldn’t she? He knew that he was asking too much from her so soon. How could he expect her to forget his indiscretions, when he still harbored the residual affects from seeing her with Kyle?

I feel like this won't go away
no matter how hard I try
to squeeze my eyes shut
so I can't see the pain
in you this pain in me - in me

He had caused her so much heart ache, when all he ever wanted to do was love her. Maybe we’re just not meant to be together. He hated the thought that what they’ve felt for each other and what they’ve been through was for nothing. That fate had other plans for them and they were just postponing the inevitable by fighting it. Love shouldn’t be so hard and hurts so much. His words so long ago reminded him that he had foreseen this outcome.

“Liz, I think that what I'm afraid of isn't that we try this and it works out really badly. What I'm afraid of is we try it and it works out really well. I'm afraid of feeling everything that I know I would feel. Because I know it's not meant to be. And somewhere down the line, we're gonna get hurt. I can live with that. I just couldn't bear to hurt you.”

I know that I am really not here
to represent what I am not clear
About in my head sometimes
fucked up just like you do - like you do

No. He shook his head trying to rid himself of those despairing thoughts. HELL NO! She loves me and I love her and we belong together, that much I know to be a fact. He declared out loud and then looked over at Michael to make sure he was still asleep. Everything else is totally meaningless to him if she’s not in his life. He decided he would give her the space she needed to heal, admitting to himself that he had some healing to do as well. But he swore as he reached Roswell, that he would do everything in his power to make it up to her, make her dreams come true if she asked him to.

But everything that I can say to you
Won't help you - everything you need is right in front of you
Just take it

Make it go away
Just make it go away
She'll make it go away

TBC……
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany(CC, M/L, Mature) CH 15 - 10/04/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Thank you everyone for such wonderful feedback. :D And sorry for the delay.

Hope you enjoy. :wink: Any feedback is welcomed and encouraged.

Chapter 15

The Crash Down Café~ Early morning

Liz stared intently out the window of the CrashDown Café, while she pretended to clean the already spotless glass. She couldn’t seem to take her eyes off Max, as he swept the front entrance of the UFO Center. It had been a little over a week since that night in Carlsbad. She instantly cringed as she remembered her words spoken in anger.

“I’m not one of your subjects—I’m not even your girlfriend anymore… one kiss and a few flashes does not constitute a reconciliation.”

The deflated look on his face before he left the hotel room haunted her. She never wanted to hurt him like that. The past week had given her a chance to put her situation into perspective. She had been furious but she realized it wasn’t because Max hunted her down. It had more to do with the fact that once again, she’d let her guard down and began to believe that happiness was within her grasp, only to be reminded how very far away it still was. She loved him beyond words, that was obvious and undeniable but if they were going to find their way back to one another it was going to take the one thing that they obviously lacked…faith.

Liz put down the rag she used to wipe the window, took one last look at Max, and then went back to waiting on customers.

……………

“It’s Friday, you’d think Michael would’ve planned something for our date by now. But noooo.” Maria glared in frustration at Michael who was putting out Liz’s order on the counter of the pass window. He just looked at her and rolled his eyes. “I need to get him on a schedule.”

“What…like a date night?” Liz laughed.

“Exactly.”

“Sorry, I don’t see him going for that one Maria.” Liz said as she retrieved the tossed alien salad off the counter and then walked over to the hungry customer who ordered it.

“For your information, I do have plans for tonight. I’m gonna sit on my couch and watch movies and stuff myself full of artery clogging junk food.” Michael grumbled.

“Do you want company?” Isabel asked. For some reason it sounded more entertaining then watching Max mope around the house.

“No, not really.” With that, Michael went back to the grill.

“You know that’s a great idea.” Maria said, ignoring Michael’s last remark.

“What is?” Isabel dreaded the answer. It was probably one of Maria’s crazy schemes that would undoubtedly backfire. Isabel had only gone into the café to pick up her order to go, not become an accessory to one of Maria’s insane plots.

“Well, it’s been over a week since Max and Liz were in the same room together. Maybe we can convince them to go over to Michael’s to watch movies.” Maria whispered then looked around to make sure Liz wasn’t within earshot. “It would be a great way for them to spend time together without the pressure of being alone.”

Michael turned away from the grill and angrily put both hands on the table in front of him. “I thought we were going to mind our own business and let them figure out their own crap.” He barked. He was sick of being in the middle of all this. “Besides, I thought you were still mad at Max.”

“I wasn’t mad at him. Just disappointed that’s all. I want them to be happy and together and I’ll do whatever’s in my power to help them.”

Isabel shook her head. “I don’t know Maria. Max is still touchy when it comes to Liz. I don’t think he’ll go for it if he knows she’ll be there. He’s hell bent on giving her space.”

“Well it’s not like we have to tell them that the other one is will be there.”
Just then Maria saw Liz walking toward them. “Shh….Liz is coming this way. Just think about it, alright.”

“Yeah, with all the double shifts Max has been working, I don’t know when he finds the time to eat.” Isabel quickly changed the subject as Liz approached her and Maria.

“He hasn’t been eating?” Liz couldn’t contain the concern that flowed from her response.

“We’ll the new manager has him working, like these really crazy hours so they can get the UFO Center ready for the summer tourists. Sometimes he misses a meal.” Isabel answered with a shrug and then looked over at Maria for assistance.

“I could have Michael make him something for lunch and one of us could take it to him.” Liz offered although not necessarily volunteering to be the one to deliver the food. She wanted to see him and share the same space with him but she knew what would happen. One look in his beautiful hazel eyes and she knew she’d be a goner.

“Good idea Liz.” Maria smiled and then winked at Michael.

The UFO Center~

For over a week Max stayed away from Liz, trying to give her the space she needed to heal. Everyday he spent away from her grew harder and harder for him to bear. But he knew he had to do it. He tried staying busy to keep his mind off of her, even going as far as asking the new manager for more hours at the UFO Center, but nothing seemed to work. His mind always managed to focus on Liz. He wondered what she was doing through out the day and if she hated him. Would they ever be as happy again? He missed everything about her and the part of himself that she brought out whenever they were together.

Every once in a while thoughts of his son crept into the recesses of his mind and it made him feel guilty, like he was betraying Liz somehow. It still made him sick to his stomach knowing that Liz saw in flashes what he did and how he felt that night, the last thing she needed was for him to remind her of his carelessness. He’d hurt her enough.

But in the stillness of his room, when his mind would begin to drift off... away from visions of his beautiful Liz, he would give into his instinctive sorrow of never seeing his son again. If Tess was telling the truth, he would be born in about a week. The idea that his son was coming into the world on another planet scared the hell out of Max. What if something went wrong? What if Kivar and Tess and the other aliens on the planet hurt him? Max looked down at the fake alien laying on the gurney in the autopsy exhibit and wondered if that was what the aliens on Antar looked like…what he used to looked like. It wasn’t the first time the thought crossed his mind. All the times he had to put the faux intestines back into the stuffed creature, those questions were there. They would be the first faces that his son would see besides his mothers. Max knew logically that there was nothing he could do to reach his son. The only mode of transport back to Antar left with Tess. He had to face the fact that saving his son was something that could never happen. He was given a second chance to be with the only woman he ever loved and to enjoy the human side of himself that he once, briefly suppressed but now wanted to embrace more than ever.

He worked a double shift all week trying to fight the connection he felt from Liz, the connection that constantly pulled him toward her. To his surprise it worked. So much work needed to be done that was neglected before Brody left and the new manager was all too willing to hand over the majority of the work to Max. They needed to get ready for the rush of summer tourists that were hungry for anything alien. Max still remembered the insanity of the crowd last summer. Getting an early start was going to benefit everyone in the long run.

………….

“I can’t believe I let Maria talk me into this.” Liz muttered under her breath as she walked into the dimly lit UFO Center with Max’s lunch in hand.

She made her way down the concrete steps that led into the massive space filled with supposed alien artifacts and tourist attractions. She always got the shivers whenever she set foot into the former bomb shelter. Not only was it creepy but it held some disturbing memories as well. Michael killed agent Pierce a few feet from where she was standing, and the visual of Brody pointing a gun at her to her right, made her question why the hell would Max want resume his job there.

Off in the distance she heard a loud metal clanking noise and went to investigate it.

When she got there she found Max on top of a ladder banging on the track lighting above him. He worked so diligently at the metal that he didn’t even notice that she was standing directly at the bottom rung of the ladder.

“I think you killed it.” She joked.

Max steadied himself on the ladder after being startled. He thought he was alone. He never expected to see her there.

“What are you doing here, Liz?” He asked as he made his way down the tall ladder.

“We’ll I have one blue moon burger and an order of Saturn rings right here in this bag.” She lifted up the bag and Styrofoam cup filled with cherry Coke to show him. “I thought you might be hungry.” She added with timid smile.

He glanced at her questioningly; surprised that she thought enough to bring him lunch. He had so much to do that he hadn’t noticed that it was lunch time. God she looked great. He assessed.

He grabbed her offering. “Thank you. I have to admit, I’ve missed the food at the Crash.” He opened up the bag, letting the smell of his favorite meal envelope his senses. He almost laughed when he saw a bottle of Tabasco sauce tucked inside. She knew him so well. He thought, feeling almost comforted by that notion.

“Um…how have you been?” He asked her, looking up from the bag of food.

“Good…and you?”

“Good.” He answered. “Just been really busy with this place.”

She tried to not look directly into his eyes. He looked so sexy with his hair disheveled and sweat glistening above his upper lip. She noticed the length of his hair now that it wasn’t combed into place. To her memory, she had never seen his hair that long. Max in the past, was always one to keep a clean cut appearance. The way he looked now was new to her and a little exciting.

“That’s what I heard.” She replied feeling the heat rising to her cheeks.

After a few seconds of silence between them she shrugged. “I have to get back to the customers.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. “How much do I owe you?”

She shook her head. “It’s on the house.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.” She smiled at him.

“Thanks.”

Once outside, Liz collapsed against the wall of the building. It took everything she had to keep from running back in there.

Isabel’s Bedroom~ Later That Day

Isabel let out a sigh as she sat on her bed and flipped through the enrollment packet for Walbrooke Community College. Community college hadn’t been her ultimate choice of higher education but it had become the only choice for her. As much as she wanted to leave Roswell and all the bad memories that seemed to forever linger there, she knew in her heart that it was impossible. Not because Max had insisted that she stay but because for better or for worse Roswell was home.

“Iz, can I come in?” Isabel glanced up from her stack of papers and saw Max looking pensively inside her room.

“Sure come in.” She replied. With his hands in his pockets, Max walked to the edge of her bed. “What is it Max?”

“I know I should’ve done this sooner…but I want to apologize to you for trying to keep you from going to San Francisco.” He shifted nervously in front of her. “I behaved like a dictator and I’m truly sorry.”

Max had seen Isabel with his mom and dad all week as they sat and discussed her future plans. They questioned her on why she decided all of a sudden not to attend college in San Francisco. She of course, told them some lie about the crime rate in a city like San Francisco and that she didn’t think the weather there would agree with her. He saw the sadness in her eyes each time the subject was brought up and he knew he was the cause of it. When he thought back to when he blackmailed her into staying in Roswell, he didn’t recognize himself and the words that came out of his mouth. He’d would never do that to her again.

“Go to San Francisco…I promise I won’t stand in your way anymore.”

“Max.” Isabel muttered as she got up from her seated position on the bed and wrapped her arms around her brother.

“Thank You.” She pulled away from and looked into his eyes. “But I’ve decided to stay in Roswell and got to Walbrooke. After what we’ve been through, I think I need to be around the people I love the most.” She said with a tear rolling down her cheek.

“So you’re not going to San Francisco then?” He couldn’t hide how happy it made him to hear that she was staying. He needed her, now more than ever. She was not only his sister; she was his anchor and voice of reason. Isabel completed the three aliens. Without her, Max knew he and Michael would be lost. Like motherless children.

“Don’t sound so relieved.” She sat back down on the bed and absently flipped through the college handbook, averting her gaze from Max.

He sat down beside her. “I can’t help it. I am relieved but not for the reason’s you think.” He lifted her chin so she was looking in his eyes. “I don’t want to rule over you Iz, I would just miss you if you were gone that’s all. But I’d rather see you happy somewhere else then miserable here.”

“Despite everything, I have a good feeling about my decision to stay.” She smiled through her unshed tears.

“That’s great Iz. I just want you to be happy.” He stood up and started walking to the door.

She wanted him to be happy too and she knew that Liz was the only one who could do that. Luckily Maria was able to convince Liz to spend evening at Michael’s. “Hey Max, Michael has an alien’s only night planned tonight with bad movies and junk food. Are you in?” What’s a little white lie to bring two people together? She reasoned. I’ve really got to stop spending time with Maria. She’s rubbing off on me. She thought to herself.

He hesitated at first. But with the week he’d had, a night of mindless fun was just what he needed.

“That sounds like just what I need.” He started to leave but turned around instead. “But I’m hiding Braveheart.”

Isabel laughed as he walked out of her room.

TBC....
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 16 - 11/15/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Need update soon, PLEASE
Your wish is my command...lol. :D

My muse finally came home. Thank you everyone for all the wonderful feedback and encouraging support. You guys rocks 8) !!!

Here is Chapter 16....finally.

Chapter 16

Michael’s Apartment~

“The Forsaken…Traffic…Dracula 2000. Hey Michael, great choice of movies you’ve got here!” Kyle yelled from the couch as he went through the plastic bag of DVDs that Michael had picked up earlier from Blockbusters.

“Thanks.” Michael replied flatly from his back patio where he was grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. “I can’t believe you invited him.” He growled at Isabel under his breath.

Isabel frowned. “What was I supposed to do? I saw him sitting by himself on the bench outside the Crash. I couldn’t just leave him there.” She omitted the fact that she actually wanted Kyle there. But Michael and Max wouldn’t understand.

“You don’t know. Maybe he was waiting for a bus.” Michael said through clenched teeth.

“Oh yeah with his truck parked in front of him.” She muttered sarcastically and then looked to Max to back her up.

“Uh-uh…don’t look at me, Iz.” Max put up his hands. “I don’t have a problem with Kyle staying but this is Michael’s apartment…it’s his decision.”

Michael slammed the spatula down on the table next to the grill and peeked his head into the living room to see Kyle smiling as he sat on the couch reading the back of one of the DVDs. Michael could feel the quiet evening that he had been looking forward to slip from his grasps. He also knew the night was about to get worse before it got better. Maria hadn’t shown up yet.

“Okay, he can stay,” He mustered with a huff then picked up the greasy spatula and pointed it at Isabel. “But he better not eat all of the chips or mention Buddha in my presence.”

A few minutes later Isabel walked into the living room with Max trailing behind her holding a tray of grilled hamburger patties.

“Look out, e-coli express coming through.” She announced with a snicker. Max laughed behind her as he placed the tray down on the kitchen counter.

“Steer clear of the burgers—got it.” Kyle chuckled.

Michael quickly came in from the patio. “Those are cooked all the way through, I’ll have you know.” He roughly sat the tray of grilled hot dogs down on the counter and then grabbed the ketchup, Tabasco sauce, and the mustard out of his refrigerator, setting it along side the hotdogs.

“Whatever.” Isabel rolled her eyes at Michael. “I think I’ll take my chances on the nitrate-dogs. At least I know they were fully cooked before you touched them.” Isabel grabbed the chips and dip from an unpacked grocery bag and began placing them into serving dishes. Things were going pretty well so far. She accessed. Max seemed pretty relaxed and it surprised and warmed her heart to hear him laugh for a change. She hoped that as the evening progressed he would still be in a good mood.

While Isabel and Michael got the food ready, Max made himself comfortable on one of the barstools. He glanced at Kyle who was reclined on the sofa and flipping through the channels on the television. This was the first time they had been around each other since the ride back from the desert three weeks ago. So much had been revealed since then; Max didn’t know how to act around him. The mistrust and resentment was so embedded in his feelings toward Kyle that he wasn’t sure how to change it or if was even possible. From day one, Kyle was the enemy—not to be trusted. He was competition for Liz, and since he was the sheriff son that made him a major threat to Isabel, Michael and himself. Even after he healed Kyle from a fatal gun shot wound, his opinion of Kyle only changed slightly. But all the misgivings and distrust was solidified the night he saw Kyle in bed with Liz. Nothing had prepared him for the blinding hatred he felt for him. Was that all supposed to go away because it was a set up for the greater good of planet earth? Was he supposed to welcome Kyle with open arms and let bygones be bygones?

Max wasn’t given the time to ponder those questions, the sound of Maria’s voice as she came into the apartment pulled him away from his thoughts.

“Sorry we’re late.” Maria walked through the small apartment to where Michael was standing and wrapped her arms around him. “I’ve missed you Spaceboy.” Michael bent his head down and gave her a kiss.

“I missed you too.”

Max immediately saw Liz as she made her way through the front door behind Maria. She was breathtaking as always, dressed in a simple black tank top and her favorite pair of worn Levi’s. Her long dark hair was pulled up high on top of her head, showing off her delicate neck and ears. What was she doing here? He wondered. How was he going to give her space in Michael’s tiny apartment not to mention sit through a movie in the same room together? He was doomed.

Liz took one look at Max’s shocked face and instantly knew Maria had planned this “accidental” encounter. Liz met eyes with Max and it was as if she knew what he was feeling. He was a little uncomfortable but very pleased to see her nonetheless. She felt the same way. He looked good—more rested and relaxed. His deep blue t-shirt hung out of his baggy denims; the sleeves were snug and hugged his well defined biceps. She could make out the swell of his pectoral muscles as his chest rose and fell quickly from the surprise of seeing her. His beautiful tanned face and shinning hazel eyes gave her a shiver.

“Hi Liz.” His voice was tentative as he greeted her. “What are you doing here?” He wanted more than anything to take her in his arms and kiss her senseless. His lips still ached for her as his body did. But he was only left with the dreams and fantasies of what might have been, leaving him cold and empty. Seeing her and not being able touch her soft skin and smell her hair was proving to be harder than he thought. He’d remembered her bringing his lunch earlier that day and how much that meant to him. Now she was standing only a few feet away and the connection between them was palpable and intense.

Liz closed the distance between them. “Maria invited me.” She was feeling it too. The other people in the apartment seemed to disappear in that moment. Only Max and Liz stood in the living room stumbling for words to say to one another. “Max, I’m glad….” She was going to say that she was glad to see him but Kyle interrupted her.

“Boy, I’m happy to see you and Maria. I was beginning to feel out numbered by the alien posse.” He joked; oblivious to the daggers Max was throwing his way from his glare. Liz gently touched Max’s arm and smiled as if she knew what was going through his mind.

Liz quickly turned around to see Kyle behind her. “I’m surprised to see you here Kyle but happy that you’re out and about finally. All work and no play makes life way too dull. Trust me. It’s all I’ve been doing lately myself.”

“Okay everyone, the food’s ready. Come and get it.” Michael announced.

They all ate in front of the TV. Maria, Michael, and Isabel were on the couch and Max, Liz, Kyle sat on the floor on top of cushions. They sat and ate in the dimly lit living room while Dracula 2000 played on the DVD player.

“I love it when the hot vampire chic says “I like to suck”. Kyle imitated the female vampire’s voice and then giggled like a twelve year old. “I remember when I watched this with Te…” He immediately halted at the mention of Tess’s name, as if uttering it was kin to blaspheme and then shot a look toward Max.

The room fell silent except for the screams coming from the movie everyone had suddenly forgotten about. It was the first time her name had been mentioned around the group. Like the two ton elephant in the room that no one acknowledges, Tess was a subject no one wanted to bring up. Now all eyes were on Max, making the hairs on the back of his neck prickle and stand up. He hated the scrutiny from everyone. Was he ever going to live down his mistakes? Did he deserve to? He would always be linked to her in their eyes and the thought of it pissed him off. Not that he was mad at them for feeling that way but because he had brought it on himself by trusting Tess and then sleeping with her. Doing so had put everyone’s life in jeopardy, killed Alex, hurt Liz, and forever destroyed his innocence. He longed for the day when he would no longer be reminded of it.

“Jees, guys would you quit staring at me already.” Max jumped up from his seated position and then stormed out on to the closed in patio, slamming the door behind him. He could hear Michael arguing with Kyle and Maria but he couldn’t make out what they were saying, nor didn’t he care. He folded his arms across his chest and took in a haggard breath as he looked up to the blackened sky above him. He hated this. It was not like him to storm off like a little boy. But he couldn’t take the looks on their faces. He made sure that he didn’t catch Liz’s expression. It would’ve been too much. He would have to be stupid not to think that any reference to Tess would inflict pain on Liz.

Suddenly he heard the latch on the back door click, causing him to turn around. Liz was standing in the doorway. He looked at her speechlessly for a few seconds. There she was, the person hurt most in all of this and her face gave away the pain she was trying to suppress and concern for him. He shook his head and looked away from her.

“Max.” She moved from the doorway to stand next to him. “Why don’t you come back inside and try to enjoy the rest of the movie?”

She began to walk back into the apartment when he didn’t respond to her request.

“Wait Liz.” Max pleaded softly, making her stop in her tracks. She exhaled and then turned around to see Max standing with his shoulders slumped and his eyes glistening with tears. “Why don’t you hate me?”

It was a simple question with anything but a simple answer. The look on his face gripped her heart. But now was not the time or the place to get into this discussion with Michael, Isabel, Maria, and Kyle just inside the door, probably listening in.

“Do we really need to have this conversation right now?” She walked over to the door and shut it.

“I’m just curious. I mean…after everything I wouldn’t blame you if you did.” He said as he swiped a tear from his cheek with the back of his hand.

Liz thought for a moment before she answered. “What about me gives you the impression that I could ever hate you? You’ve felt it for yourself when we kissed that I don’t.”

“Maybe you should.” His voice was low and hoarse. “It would make things easier for…”

“No, I don’t believe that.” She stopped and looked him square in the eye. “Of all the people I hate, it’s Tess. You want to discuss hate.” She was getting angry. “I hate the situation, I hate that all of our lives have been turned upside down, I hate that I practically handed you over to that murdering bitch, and I hate this…I hate what we have been reduced to. I may never get over you sleeping with Tess or why you did, that’s just something I’ll have to deal with but don’t you dare think that I hate you for it.” She walked over to Max and wrapped her arms around him, melting into the warmth of his body. His arms encircled her waist as he put his face against her neck and shoulders, breathing in her scent. He allowed himself the rare moment of feeling safe and he let the emotions wash over him, hers and his combined.

Inside the apartment Maria, Isabel, Kyle, and Michael watched in silence the exchange and embrace through the glass window of the door.

Cow Patty’s Bar~

The sound of country music and the stench of stale beer and cigarette smoke overwhelmed Jim Valenti the moment he stepped foot inside his old stomping grounds. Cow Patty’s Bar and Grill had once been a place where Jim could unwind after a long day at work but when his wife left and he was abruptly thrown into single parenthood, his priorities changed along with the leisure activities he had grown accustomed to. Now he was no longer employed in the career field he loved and Kyle was old enough to pretty much take care of himself, Jim felt useless and displaced. In taking his badge, they took away a huge part of his identity and pride along with it. He didn’t know who Jim Valenti was without it. People he saw at the grocery store or on the street called him sheriff. Hanson still called him sheriff from time to time. Some days he’d looked in the mirror and didn’t recognize the man staring back at him.

But even with all he’d lost, he knew if given the choice again, he would’ve done the same thing because it was the right thing to do.

“Trish, can I get a Budweiser please?” He asked the busty bartender as he took a seat on the stool in front of him.

“Sure thing Sheriff…uh…sorry…I mean Jim.” She stuttered from her mistake and then hurriedly opened a beer bottle and placed it in front of Jim, trying not to look him in the eye—another side effect of having his badge striped from him—no one made eye contact anymore.

He cringed inside from her honest mistake. “No problem.” He took a hefty swig from his beer and turned to face the stage. The house band was warming up for their show later that night. Jim tried not to grimace too much as the lead singer began butchering the classic Brown Eyed Girl so badly Van Morrison would’ve blacked both of the singer’s eyes. Jim shook his head in disbelief. Who the hell hired someone who couldn’t carry a tune? Jim wondered. It was a relief when he walked off the stage after the end of the song.

He finished off his first beer and then ordered another. Why not get drunk. Not like I’m on duty for anything. He reasoned.

“Hey Jim!”

He turned around to see his old buddy from high school waving at him from behind the keyboard.

“Joe!” Jim grabbed his beer and walked to the stage. “How the hell have you been Joe? It’s been ages.” He exclaimed as he shook Joe’s hand.

“Oh pretty good. Made foreman out at the cheese factory and been playin’ here every weekend.” Joe answered then played a jumbled melody in the keyboard in front of him. Joe was one of Jim’s oldest friends from back in his high school days. But as it often happens when people grow up, they inevitable go their separate ways. Jim joined the police force and started a family while Joe headed to California to pursue his dream of being a rock star only to move back to Roswell after two years of disappointment.

“That’s great. How are Debbie and the kids?” Jim asked.

“They’re good. Number five’s due any day.”

Jim tried not to choke on the mouthful of beer he had just guzzled. “Wow, five kids.” Jim couldn’t even fathom what it took to raise five kids. “When do you find time to play here?”

“Kinda have too with Debbie being pregnant and all, we need the extra income.” He shrugged.

Jim nodded and then looked around at the other musicians that were standing on the stage.

“Hey man, do you wanna jam with us before the show?” Joe asked excitably “We hate our front man…he can’t sing worth shit. It would be great to have some talent behind the mic even just to practice with.”

“I don’t know. It’s been years since I pick up a guitar. I’m not even sure if I can still play much less sing.”

“Sure you can. It’s like ridin’ a bike.”

Jim thought about it for a few seconds. What could it hurt? He waved at the bartender for another beer and grabbed the guitar that was propped up in its stand.

“Okay. What do you want to play first?” Jim put the guitar strap over his shoulder and pinched the pick between his thumb and index finger, readying himself for any request.

What was only supposed to be a quick jam session became a rowdy two hour gig in front of a crowd of Cow Patty regulars. It turned out that the lead singer was found in the men’s restroom past out drunk and was unable to finish the show.

“Wow Valenti, wish you could play with our band on a regular basis.” Joe said after the show. “That was amazing. The crowd loved you.”

“That was fun.” Jim replied, still adrenaline fueled and excited. “But I don’t think it could workout.” He needed a job that was true. Kyle was fitting the bills lately—taking up the slack of his deadbeat father with issues. But Jim knew that there wasn’t much money in playing only weekends at a bar. It sure was a blast though. He hadn’t felt that alive in a long time.

“Think on it Jim and let me know your decision. I’ve wanted to can Chuck for ages.”

“Alright, I’ll think about it.”

Chapter 17 Teaser

Max followed the screams down a long dark corridor; quickly checking inside each room that he passed. The closer he got to the screams the more his heart pounded inside his chest. It sounded as if someone was being brutally tortured. As he came to the last door, he cautiously reached out with a shaky hand for the silver knob, turning it and letting the door slowly open. He could feel the bile rise from his stomach up into his throat as the site before his became horrifically clear.
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 17 - 12/16/06

Post by Tanya7496 »

Thank you to all the readers. Your feedback and words of encouragement never fail to touch me. Thank you again and remember any feedback is welcome.

A/N:Before I post this next chapter I just want to warn you. There are some scenes that are disturbing. Part of the reason it took so long to post it was because I revised it several times to tone it down. The scene has a purpose and isn't put into the story to for no reason.

An excerpt from Into the Woods is used.

Chapter 17

The CrashDown Café~ the Next Day

“A Warf wrap and chili orbit rings, Dad.” Liz repeated the customer’s order to her dad who was working the grill while Jose went on his break. It had been another busy day and no relief was expected. The summer months were always like that. Last year she managed to avoid the crowd by running away to her aunts in Florida. Now after everything that has happened with her and Max, she wished with all her heart that she would have stayed and stood beside him when they need each other the most. I was such a coward. She glanced across the street and saw that the crowd outside the UFO Center was starting to finally taper down. A wave of sympathy for him caught her off guard. She knew they were still understaffed and Max had been picking up the slack. He was going to be worn out by the time the busy season wound down.

The night before had been, in mild terms, interesting; another one of Maria’s brilliant attempts at arranging a surprise meeting with Max, which in actuality was not a surprise to Liz from the start. She knew Max was going to be there when Maria and Isabel talked her into a night of movies at Michael’s. She was even excited at the prospect of seeing Max again but as usual Tess managed to creep her way into their lives and spoil the night. She was like this stifling black cloud over everyone and Liz was tired of it. She could tell that Max was struggling to put the pieces back to his life and garner forgiveness for what happened with Tess but as much as she loved Max, it was hard to move past what he did. Each day it did hurt a little less then the day before and she now could see the possibility of a future with Max if only they could get through the present without hurting each other again.

“Are you doing okay Lizzie?” Jeff Parker asked his daughter. “You look a million miles away.”

“I’m fine.” Liz replied in the best upbeat voice she could muster. She knew her parents had been worried about her but they respected her privacy and hadn’t pushed until recently. Everyday since her return from the desert her parents asked her if she was alright and if she needed to talk about anything. Her mother only knew that Max broke her heart. What else could she tell her? I’d be fine, if it weren’t for the fact that the man I love is an alien who knocked up his queen and sent her with his unborn son to his home planet without making her pay for murdering my best friend. Other then that I’m peachy. No her parents were going to have to deal with the secrecy and lies that has become their daughter’s way of life now.

“I know. You’ve been saying that you’re fine for three weeks now but your eyes don’t lie.” He said. “And don’t get me started on the incident with you and Max on the balcony.” He added sternly as he set her finished order on the counter of the pass window.

“Dad, it was a little disagreement about something. It’s over.” She lied. “Now can we please not discuss it anymore?” She begrudgingly grabbed the baskets of food and walked over to deliver it to the customer.

Jeff Parker watched in concern as his daughter walked away from him. He knew something was wrong with her and had been for quite some time but didn’t have a clue what it was. He knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it must have something to do with Max Evans. It’s always been about Max; her sullen looks, staying out all night, whispers in the backroom, fallen grades on her report cards, detention, and strange looks exchanged by Liz’s group of friends. All roads seem to lead to one source; Evans.

When he heard Max yelling at her he wanted to pitch the punk off the side of the balcony but the desperate sadness on his baby girl’s face took his attention away from his target. Liz’s future was too bright to settle for someone like Max Evans. She was Harvard bound and before he came into her life that was all she talked about. Now it’s no longer mentioned. He was determined to find out what was going on.

Later…

“I’m crashing at your house right?” Maria asked while wiping down one of the tables.

“Yes. It’s gonna to be fun.” Liz answered. Maria hated spending the night in her house alone while her mom was away. Michael would’ve stayed over but Ms. Deluca swore bodily harm on him if he did. Besides it was Maria’s idea to spend more time with Liz. Swearing that “she wasn’t one of those girls who because she has a boyfriend, all of a sudden it’s okay to dump your friends.”

It was an hour till closing and the dinner crowd was finally gone. Liz took the rare opportunity to sit down. She made herself comfortable on one of the barstools and then propped her achy feet up onto the one next to her. “Come on Maria those tables are spotless. It’s break time.”

Maria threw the rag down into the bucket, sighing as she plopped herself down into the nearest chair.

“Phew…let me tell ya. I’ll be glad when school starts back up. At least then I only have to work part time.” She grumbled.

“You’re the one who asked for more hours. So suck it up sista.” Liz joked.

“I know. I know. I asked for it. But it still doesn’t mean I can’t whine about it.”

Maria looked around the restaurant for any sign of Liz’s parents. They must be still up stairs. She noticed lately that they were watching Liz like a hawk and asking her questions that could never be truthfully answered.

“So last night…what happened? Max stormed out of the room after Kyle’s faux pas and you went after him.” She stood up from her chair and walked over to Liz. “I notice he left right after you two hugged.”

“We’ll being reminded of your mistakes by your friends isn’t easy for anyone. I know it wasn’t intentional—everyone’s still walking around not knowing how to react or what to say, myself included. The slightest mention of her name still makes me want hit something. But I guess Max is trying to cope the best way he knows how.”

“Well, speak of the handsome devil himself.” Maria smiled and nodded her head toward the entrance.

The tinkle of the bells above the door made Liz whip around on her stool. Standing there was Max looking drawn and haggard.

“Is it too late to get a bite to eat?”

“No.” Liz practically leaped off the stool she was sitting on, and then grabbed a menu. “Usual booth right?” She walked behind him as he moved toward his favorite booth. It was strange having him in the café and even stranger serving him there. The last time he set foot inside the café was not to eat but to get information about Leanna before he left for Antar over three weeks ago.

The thought of him almost leaving took Liz’s breath away. It seemed like another lifetime ago for her and one a moment she didn’t ever want to relive again.

“Honestly do you really think I need that menu? I know it front to back by now.” He pointed to the menu tucked under her arm and grinned lazily. “Unless something new has been added in my absence.”

She shook her head. “Nope, it’s basically the same standards as always. I think my dad’s having a drought in the creativity department.”

“Well then I guess I’ll have a Blue…”

“…Moon burger, no mayo, extra pickles, and an order of Saturn rings.” She interrupted. She couldn’t suppress a sheepish grin looking at his amazed expression. “I’ll bring out your cherry Coke after I place your order.” He watched her as she walked away; enjoying the routine he never got tired of.

“Man Max, you look like road kill.” Maria placed a bottle of Tabasco sauce and salt and pepper shakers in front of him and assessed her friend’s appearance. Bags under his blood shot eyes, slumped shoulders, and shaggy hair. This wasn’t the Max she remembered. She shook her head at what he had become in such a short amount of time.

“I see tubby over there hasn’t hired more staff yet?” Maria had met the new manager when he came in to pick up his order a few days back. She wasn’t impressed. Just a balding, portly middle aged man who tried to flirt with her before she shot him down cold, sending him back across the street with his tail tucked neatly between his legs.

Max self consciously smoothed his hands through his hair in an attempt to improve his appearance. “He hired a few people—mostly teenagers yesterday. I’ve had the privilege of training them off and on all day today.” He rolled his eyes and then quickly set up straighter in his seat when he noticed Liz was coming back with his cherry Coke.

Liz sat the drink in front of him. “You have great timing Max. Jose was just about to turn off the grill and fryer before you showed up. It shouldn’t take too long.”

Feeling like a third wheel, Maria decided to start sweeping the floors.

“You look tired Liz, why don’t you sit down.” Max offered.

“Ok.” She shimmied her way into the seat in front of him.

“I’m sorry that I left so suddenly last night.” He gently grabbed one of her hands. “I hope I didn’t ruin your night.” Holding her tiny hand felt so intimate to him. The simple gesture reminded him of the way it was in the beginning; innocent, new, and perfect. And the most amazing part was that she wasn’t pulling away. She was holding on tight.

“It’s okay. You didn’t.” She reassured him. “Plus I ended up falling asleep through The Forsaken anyway. Maria had to wake me up to take me home.” Liz laughed.

Max took a big sip of his soda and chuckled softy. “Really? So no one was weirded out by my sudden exit?”

“No. Not really.” She pulled her hand away, immediately regretting it after she did. “I better check on your food. Be right back.”

Max stretched his aching muscles and slumped down into the seat while he watched Liz work. Even after everything he could still feel his connection to Liz. She was across the café but it still felt like she was next to him.

While Max ate, Liz and Maria proceeded to close up the café for the night. Once done and Jose was gone, they sat down at Max’s booth with three plates of alien green lime pie.

“You know Alex would’ve loved this.” Maria lifted up her fork with bite of pie at the end. “He had a major sweet tooth.”

Liz began to laugh to herself. “Remember the time he ate all your mom’s price winning cherry pie? I’ve never seen her so mad before. Poor Alex, having to deal with the infamous Deluca wrath.”

“I could tell your mom loved him.” Max added, remembering everyone’s fondness for Alex.

“Yeah she did. It’s just she worked so hard on it. You know he was forbidden to play at my house for a month until she calmed down.” Maria giggled and then grew quiet.

Suddenly the sound of Max’s thunderous yawn broke the mood.

“Damn, I guess I should be getting home before I fall asleep in this booth.”

Liz walked Max to the door while Maria gathered up the plates and took them to the kitchen.

“I hope you get some sleep tonight.” She looked up into his tired hazel eyes. “And sweet dreams.” That was way too lame. She thought.

He lifted his hand to Liz’s face, letting his fingertips brush softly along her temples. “You too Liz.” He gave her a smile that could melt steel and then bent down and chastely kissed her cheek. “Goodnight.”

*Beware graphic scenes of violence and disturbing images ahead. Read at your own risk.*

Max’s Bedroom~

On the drive home Max’s lips were still tingling from the kiss he gave Liz. She smelled so good. His smiled broadened, remembering the sound of her laughter tonight. He missed that contagious laugh of hers and the way her big brown eyes seemed to laugh right along with her. Just being in her company and holding her hand was amazing to him.

Once inside his room Max threw himself on to his bed. So exhausted from work and lack of sleep, he didn’t even take the time to undress before he turned off the light and shut out the world.

Max followed the screams down a long dark corridor; quickly checking inside each room that he passed. The closer he got to the screams the more his heart pounded inside his chest. It sounded as if someone was being brutally tortured. As he came to the last door, he cautiously reached out with a shaky hand for the silver knob, turning it and letting the door slowly open. He could feel the bile rise from his stomach up into his throat as the sight before him became horrifically clear.

On a dirty metal gurney in the middle of the brightly lit room laid the lifeless body of a baby boy…his baby boy.

“Nooooooo!” He screamed and ran to gurney, tears spilling from his eyes as he looked down at the body. He was so caught up in his grief that he failed to notice the ominous figure looming next to him until it made its presence known by emanating an unearthly bright light. Max quickly turned his attention to the figure. It resembled the pictures and dolls in the UFO museum; big head, large black soulless eyes, and long skinny arms and legs. Max retched at the sight of the long tapered fingers that were holding an instrument resembling a medical scoping device.

“WHY?” Max screamed at the figure in front of him.

Before Max could lunge at it, the figure reached up and ran its hand across its face until suddenly Max was staring at himself. Then without a word the figure disappeared.

“You killed your own son Max.” He heard a woman voice in his ear from directly behind him. He spun around to see the gloating face of Tess.

“No, that wasn’t me.” He vehemently shook his head at her accusation.
“I would never do that.”

“You never cared about him…never cared about anyone but yourself and your precious clueless Liz. She’ll figure that out for herself and it will be too late by then.”

“You’re wrong! I do care about my son.” He looked at the gurney again and then fell to the dingy floor, succumbing to his anguish.

She looked down at him in disgust. “You’re so pathetic—so pathetically human. If you had been the king you were supposed to be this wouldn’t have happened. You could’ve stopped this. But you sent me to face Kivar alone.”

“No, our son couldn’t survive on earth, that’s why I sent you. And you killed Alex. Do you really think that Michael, Isabel, and the others would’ve let you live. I had no choice. Kivar was going to kill me as soon as I returned, what use would I have been to you dead.” He looked mournfully at what was now a tiny pile of dust causing fresh hot tears to roll down his cheeks. Had he really been the reason for his son’s death? He could feel all the suppressed anger building up inside of him like an overpowering beast trying to burst free.

“Now you have what you always wanted; a worthless human existence with an even worthless human to spend your boringly short life with. I can see it now. When she’s under you you’ll be fantasizing it’s me you’re fucking and not her.” She said venomously.

In inhuman speed Max flew across the room and grabbed Tess by the throat.

“YOU’RE WRONG!” He screamed into her petrified face. “I HATE YOU!” He squeezed harder. Through clenched teeth he spoke coldly to her. “I had a happy life before you showed up. The weight of the world wasn’t on my shoulders and the girl that I have loved since the 3rd grade loved me and accepted me. Then YOU came and fucked all that up!”

“Stop…lying to yourself. I…I never forced you to sleep with me. You did it willingly and enjoyed every minute of it. It was “hot alien sex” remember.” Even with hands of steel squeezing the life out of her she still managed to spread her poison. “

He jerked her neck and squeezed tighter until the capillaries began to burst in her eyes. She clawed at his face but rage left him unfeeling and numb to the pain.

“You and Nasado took away everything. Why couldn’t you just stay away? I didn’t want you. You mindwarped me from the very beginning and preyed on me when you knew I was at my weakest just like a predator. And then Alex… he was just a means to an end for you. Who would you have killed next…huh? LIZ?!” He jerked her neck once more, snapping it. He watched numbly as her body hit the ground with a pronounced thud.

When he finally looked up he was standing in front of the rock formation that housed the pod chamber. The sky above was blue and cloudless and a warm calming breeze blew through his hair.

“Dude, you’re way too brooding. Why don’t you lighten up? At least you’re alive.”

To his amazement Max could see Alex confidently walking down the slope of jagged rocks toward him.

“But you never were a barrel of laughs when I was alive now were you?”

Max stood speechless in front of him, not knowing how to respond to someone he knew for a fact was dead.

“Listen man, go to Liz. You need each other. So much precious time has been wasted. Stop dwelling on the things you can’t change and start making the most of what you have. You can’t do anything about what’s going on up there.” Alex pointed with his index finger toward the sky. But a lot can be preserved down here. Liz, your parents, Isabel.”

“Now it's time to finally WAKE UP!!!

“LIZ!!!” Max woke up with a guttural scream, sweaty and disoriented. He sat up in bed and cradled his legs to his chest, staring into the darkness of his room.

Liz’s Bedroom~ (Flashback dialogue: Liz, Maria)

“Can you believe some of the articles in here?” Maria held up the June issue of Cosmopolitan that she was reading while Liz stood behind her braiding her hair. She turned her attention back to the cover of the magazine.

Ten Techniques to Drive Your Lover Crazy.” She read off to Liz. “There are a few that I’m dying to try on Michael but the rest are way too icky for me to do.”

“And what might those be Maria?” Liz teased.

“Uh-uh. Too graphic for your virgin ears girlfriend.”

“I’ve read Cosmo before. I know what they put in there.” Liz found it a little ironic how the tables had turned for her and Maria. Michael and Maria were stronger then ever while her and Max was once again stalled. She was happy for her best friend’s but it still didn’t keep her from feeling envious of what Maria shared with Michael. “Do they, by any chance, have advice on giving a cheating alien boyfriend, who really hasn’t been your boyfriend in over a year, a second chance?”

Maria laughed as she flipped through the pages, pretending to search for the requested article. “No but they do have one on going after what you want in order to be happy.”

“Really?”

“No but it’s great advice don’t you think.”

“I guess it is.” Liz pinned the finished braid into place and began to work on the other side. She smiled as she remembered a hasty conversation in the middle of a dark and eerie wood.

“Make up your mind, Maria. I've made up mine.”

“You can't let go of him, can you?”

“I don't want to.”

It had been so clear and simple to Liz back then. She was so afraid and unsure of everything except her feelings for Max. A lot had changed since the days before Tess and Nasado’s appearance.

“I really do want to be with Max. I mean, I can’t honest see my future without him. I don’t want to see her and what he did every time I look at him that’s all.”

“Ooch!” Maria hollered out after Liz pulled too hard on her hair. “That’s not the only reason that’s keeping you from being with Max is it?” Maria knew Liz wasn’t being completely honest. She always kept her feeling in but Maria knew her too well.

Liz breathed in harshly, not wanting to lay it all out to be analyzed. But this was Maria. She’d get it out her one way or another. “If I take a chance with him again…if I surrender to what I want, then I’m right back where I started; on the alien frontline.” Danger, heartbreak, being stuck in Roswell till I die, and forgetting my dreams for the future. No Harvard, no security, no children. “You of all people know exactly what I’m taking about. Always looking over your shoulder for the FBI or the next enemy alien looking to settle a score and kill one of us again.”

Maria turned around and looked thoughtfully at her best friend. “Liz that stuff might not happen. You can’t postpone your life waiting for the sky to fall.” She grinned up at her Liz’s sad face. “And honey, when have you ever been off the frontline? You’ve been in the thick of it, to some degree, from the very beginning. Nothing’s changed.”

She was right. But was she willing to give up on her dreams and lifelong goals for Max. Once she had been so sure.

“Okay, take this.” She handed Maria a hand held mirror. “and check out the back in the bathroom mirror. You’ve got to see it from the back to appreciate it.”

Liz began to straighten up her vanity and the rest of her room after Maria walked into the bathroom to check out Liz’s work. She neatly put all the hair pins and combs back into the draw and picked up a few pieces of dirty clothes off the floor, placing them in the hamper inside her closet.

She suddenly stopped what she was doing when she was overcome by a troubling and uneasy sensation and out of the corner of her eye she saw a darkly shadowed figure standing directly outside her balcony window. Then she heard a low heartbreaking whisper clearly in her mind. “I need you.”

TBC.....
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 18 - 1/19/07

Post by Tanya7496 »

Thank you for being patient. I just couldn't seem to get this next scene written. I tried several times and this is the result. I, like everyone else wanted a scene to give our Dreamers closure but since I'm being true to S3, I knew that closure was a long ways away from Busted.

A/N: Thanks goes to my beta Roslover39. You're the best!!

Also as I mentioned before, I'm a HUGE music lover. Well the song used is called I Could Hold You in My Arms by Ray LaMontagne. You have to check him out. This song is on The Last Kiss soundtrack but he has other great songs on his CD's.

Sorry for the delay.

Chapter 18

Liz’s Bedroom~

When you came to me with your bad dreams and your fears
It was easy to see that you'd been crying
Seems like everywhere you turn catastrophe it reigns
But who really profits from the dying
I could hold you in my arms
I could hold you forever
I could hold you in my arms forever

When you kissed my lips with my mouth so full of questions
It's my worried mind that you quiet
Place your hands on my face
Close my eyes and say
Love is a poor man's food
Don't prophesize
I could hold you forever
And I could hold you in my arms
I could hold you forever

So now we see how it is
This fist begets the spear
Weapons of war
Symptoms of madness
Don't let your eyes refuse to see
Don't let your ears refuse to hear
Or you ain't never going to shake this sense of sadness
I could hold on forever And I could hold you in my arms
I could hold forever

Max stood practically motionless, staring down into Liz’s bedroom. With his trembling hands pressed to the glass, Max watched Liz as she moved around her room. He must have looked like a deranged peeping Tom. Maybe he was deranged. He thought. He wasn’t entirely certain. All he did know was that he couldn’t shake the burning need he felt to see Liz. To be in her presence, to feel the smoothness of her skin against his own, and to feel the safety that he knew could only be found inside her arms. Sanctuary was on the other side of the glass. If only he was brave enough to knock on it.

Fortunately for him, he didn’t have to. Liz instantly caught sight of him.

“Max?” Liz rushed to the window and opened it. “Max, what’s wrong?” She moved aside and let him step down into her room.

“I…I just had to see you.” She noticed the wild look in his eyes and the pallor of his skin. He nervously looked around the room and saw Maria coming out of the bathroom with a toothbrush in her mouth. “Sorry I’m here so late.”

“Hey, what’s going on?” Maria asked.

“Maybe I should go.” Max began to turn around to go out the window. The last thing he wanted was another scene like the one at Michael’s apartment. He was already feeling like an insensitive jerk disturbing Liz so late at night. But the look of compassion on Liz’s face and the feel of her small hand on his shoulder stopped him from retreating.

“Maria, can you give us a minute.” Liz asked apologetically.

Maria could tell that something was definitely wrong but for once she didn’t want to be in the middle of her friend’s drama. She figured Liz was the only one who could handle this. “Actually I was thinking of paying Spaceboy a nocturnal visit anyway.” Maria grabbed her duffle bag and slipped on her shoes.

“Call me later if you need too.” She gave Liz a hug, knowing she was going to need it before the night was through and then left Max and Liz alone in the bedroom.

Not wanting her parents to come bursting through the room, Liz walked to her bedroom door and locked it.

“Max, tell me what’s wrong. You’re scaring me.” She pleaded as she moved nervously toward him.

“I had this really disturbing dream…about my son and...” Max immediately noticed Liz stiffen and back away from him. “I’m sorry Liz.” He reached out for her hand only to watch her back further away from him. “It must hurt you when I bring up my son and I’m truly sorry but…”

“No Max, he’s your son. You must be worried about him.” She tried convincing him along with herself that she was alright with everything. That she didn’t harbor animosity toward a helpless unborn baby in spite of the fact that his mother is a heartless murder.

“It’s only natural, right?” She added. Hearing him mention his son cut her to the quick. How could it not. It still seemed painfully unreal to her. But the desperate way he was looking at her replaced her feelings of resentment with ones of sympathy.

She took in a deep breath, straightened her shoulders, and then moved closer to him. “So you had a nightmare?”

“Yes.” He answered then shook his head to try and clear out the disturbing images that were still vivid in his mind so he could concentrate on his goal and reason why he was there in the first place. “But I didn’t really come here to talk about that.” He shifted nervously as he stood in front of her, trying to put what was in his heart into words. “I can’t go through life with out you.” He spoke softy, lifting his head up to look at her, pleading with his eyes how sincere he was.

“I tried…I really tried. It’s been like walking around with half a soul. That’s how it‘s felt for me the past year. It’s been unbearable…“

“Max…” She tried to interrupt but he was determined to say his peace whether she was receptive or not. Although his greatest hope was that she would be.

“No, let me finish…please.’’ He continued with conviction. “We’ve made so many mistakes along the way but you will never convince me that what we’ve shared…what we still have between us, our connection, isn’t worth saving. I have loved you for so long…long before I healed you that day and those feelings haven’t changed and will not change.” He reached out and gently put her hand in his, praying she could feel his love for her through their connection. “It may never be exactly the way it was—so much has happened—we’re not the same people we were back then. But couldn’t we try to make a fresh start?” He pleaded earnestly.

“What, just forget that the fact that you got Tess pregnant?” She asked skeptically. “I want to…I really do Max. I want more than anything for it not to have happened at all.” She said, her throat beginning to tighten up, making her choke out her words. “When you told me what happened between you and her, I felt…”

“You don’t have to explain, I know how you felt. When we kissed at Iz’s graduation party I felt it. I also know from first hand experience how much it hurts. You know, even now I can’t be in the same room with Kyle without feeling a knot in the pit of my stomach. Your pain is constant, I know, and I wish like hell that you didn’t have to go through that.” He said hoarsely, eyes glittering with tears. “But as much as I want to, I can’t change it.”

Liz could tell from the quiver of his chin and the tortured look in his eyes that he was speaking the truth. He was remorseful.

“I know you can’t.” She whispered then reached up to lightly touch his face, as the moistness of a tear met her fingers. It broke her heart to see the shape Max was in. Overwhelming compassion swamped her resolve. She knew she was partly to blame for what went wrong with their relationship and she needed to own up to it.

She took her hand away from his face. “Don’t you think I hold myself responsible for the course our lives have taken? I do. I’m keenly aware of the fact that if I hadn’t tampered with the future, you and I would be together and happy right now.”

“Yeah and with a bleak future ahead of us. What you did may have prevented the world from ending.” He paused for a minute and then frowned; remembering his first reaction when she told him that she deliberately altered their future so everyone could live. “I have to admit I was furious when I found out but I see the bigger picture now and I’m grateful to you for what you did. You amaze me Liz.” He captured her into his arms and held her. Her arms encircled his waist.

The feel of Liz’s supple body pressed into his, her breath on his neck, and the feel of her warm hands gripping tightly to the back of his shirt. Her whole being seemed to soothe what was broken in him and quiet the voices of self doubt in his mind. After everything he’d done and said to her, she opened her arms to him with out hesitation. He could feel her open not only her arms to him but her heart as she held on tightly.

“I love you so much; I want to have the happy future that was denied to us.” He spoke softly into her hair. He felt her arms clutch snugly around his waist. “Will you please think about it?”

She nodded her answer against his shoulder and spoke in a whisper only he could hear, piercing his heart. “I love you too.”

Max smiled into her hair upon hearing her words. He pulled back, framing her face with his hands and then kissed her softly. He brushed back her hair from shoulders then reached underneath and cupped the back of her head. Liz stared, amazed and uncertain as Max slowly lowered his head again.

Time slowed down for them.

Rising like smoke, Liz curled her arms around his neck. She parted her lips and pressed her body against him. He felt so good and so right, like nothing else in her life did. The warmth of his body, the light intoxicating scent of his skin, the feel of his tongue as it broke free of his mouth and entered hers, felt as if she was finally coming home.

The flashes came fast for both of them as they always did. Mostly snippets of themselves together during happier times; kisses, embraces, emotions and longing flooded them. Then small disturbing glimpses from Max’s dreams caused Liz to abruptly pull away. She stared at him breathless for several seconds. That was awful. She had never seen or felt anything that frightened her as much as what she saw, except for the ordeal Max went through at the hands of Agent Pierce. She shuddered with the knowledge that Max had been experiencing them almost every night.

The shocked expression on her face told Max what he already knew. She had seen his nightmares. He didn’t always have control over what flashes he projected. He wished he did.

Max took a deep breath to steady himself. “Liz, it’s okay. They’re just dreams. They didn’t really happen.” He reassured her.

With empathy and love in her eyes, Liz reached over and touched the side of his face. “You’ve been having those every night haven’t you?”

He nodded. “But I’m fine now. In fact I feel better than I have in a longtime.” He grinned knowingly at her. “Listen I better get going before my parents find out that I’m not in my room.”

“Yeah if my dad knew you were here he’d…well let’s just say, he’s not a big fan of yours right now.”

It didn’t take a genius to know why. Max knew all too well how Mr. Parker felt about him. He had hoped at one point he’d change his mind and learn to accept him as part of Liz’s life but after Max’s recent behavior he was doubtful.

He bent down and kissed her on the cheek. “Can I give you a call tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

It was in that moment, despite all the unresolved feelings and unanswered questions; Liz knew she was fighting an up hill battle. How could she deny this man anything? Looking vulnerable and remarkably endearing as he turned from her bedroom window to look into her eyes once more before leaving, she knew that whatever road he was going to take in his life, she would be right beside him on the journey.

I could hold on forever
and I could hold you in my arms
I could hold forever

**Beware Explicit Sexual Situation Ahead**

Michael’s Apartment~ Later

“Mmm, I…I thought you were going to st…stay over at Liz’s” Michael asked while Maria ran her tongue along the edges of his ear. It drove him crazy and she knew it did too. “Not that I’m complaining one bit.”

Michael had been surprised and very pleased when she showed up unexpectedly and climbed into bed with him. He missed her not being next to him during the night. He didn’t even try to conceal the massive hard on he had acquired from the steamy dream he had been having about her before she let herself into his apartment and came bouncing onto his bed.

“Something came up.” She hissed into his ear as she grabbed a hold of his manhood firmly in her hands, making him groan uncontrollably.

“What a coincidence, something came up here too.”

Maria lifted the blanket and peered underneath. “Oh, I can see that.” She gave him a sly sexy smile and then kissed him deeply, gliding her tongue along his. She could hear his low moans in her mouth as she pumped her hand up and down along his harden shaft. She loved having that kind of control over him. He was this hot-headed, macho warrior during the day but in her hands and in her body he was as pliable as putty.

“What the hell.” She spoke under her breath and lifted the blanket so she could get better access to Michael’s ridged length. After reading that Cosmo early, Maria really got turned her on. It also gave her a few interesting new ideas on how to give pleasure. Hopefully she had enough courage to try something new with him. Michael had given her oral sex once and it was mind blowing. What was wrong with returning the favor?

Michael watched Maria as she kissed his stomach, enjoying the feel of her hot tongue licking a trail down to the dark patch of kinky hair between his legs. He gasped when she took his member into her tiny hand again and flicked her pink tongue out to tentatively touch the head of it.

“Maria, you don’t have…” He tried to stop her but he was rendered speechless the moment she sheathed her hot mouth over him, sending shivers of pleasure to every nerve ending in his body.

Maria was amazed by the texture and taste of him. It was nothing like she thought it would be and she noticed that he was way to long to fit in all the way inside her mouth, and a couple of times she had to calm down her strong gag reflex but all the noises he was making and the feel of his hand gripping wildly into her hair made it worth it. Then all of a sudden a sickening thought came to her; when he cums, stuff comes out. That little piece of how-to information wasn’t mentioned in her issue of Cosmo.

But ever the clever one, Maria came up with a solution. She pulled Michael out of her mouth. “Michael when you’re close, let me know okay.” She looked up at him as she circled the sensitive head with her tongue and noticed that his eyes were closed tightly.

“Michael did you hear me?”

“Um…yeah.” He answered hoarsely.

Satisfied, she took him into her mouth again, using her hand to pump what she couldn’t fit inside. It wasn’t long until he began to buck his hips rhythmically with her. She was doing this to him. That thought alone empowered her and helped her to fight through the insistent cramping in her jaws muscles.

She felt him stiffen and jerk on her mouth. “Oh God…Maria!” He yelled out his orgasm. At the exact same time Maria felt a shot of hot liquid as it hit the back of her throat. Instantly it
triggered her gag response, resulting in her throwing up her dinner in his lap.

Tears of embarrassment and anger filled her eyes as she looked down at the mess she made. Michael, clueless as to what just happened, looked sated and relaxed with a smile spread across his face.

“Damn it!” She rose up and smacked him on the arm. “You were supposed to let me know when you were close.” She sniffled and then grabbed a towel that was on the bed and tried to clean him up. “Now you have vomit all over your crotch.”

“Seriously?” He hastily sat up, looked at himself, and then at her scowling face. “Holy crap!” He said with chuckle.

“It’s not funny, so quit laughing.” She pouted.

“Yes it is.” He ran his hand over his lap, using his powers to erase the mess and then pulled her into his arms. “But thank you.”

“For what, tossing my cookies on you?”

“No, for what you did. It felt so frickin’ good that I couldn’t stop you if I tried.” He lay down on the bed with her tucked into his arms.

“Really?”

He kissed her head. “Hell yes. What made you do it anyway?” He asked out of curiosity.

“I read an article on ways to pleasure your lover and it was one of the first ones that I wanted to try.” She sat up and placed her chin on his chest so she could see his face. “I guess I have a lot to learn.”

He stood up from the bed and picked her up in his arms. “Well, why don’t you show me some of those ways you read about so we can learn together.”

“What are you doing?” Maria asked.

“Was there anything about the shower in that article?” He nibbled her neck.

“Now that you mention it, there was.” She giggled as he carried her to the bathroom.

Max’s Bedroom~ The next morning

When Max woke up the next morning he was amazed to realize that he hadn’t experienced any of the terrible nightmares that had plagued his sleep for three weeks straight. Instead, a feeling of peace and a new found sense of purpose welcomed him

He sat up and stretched languorously, smiling at the memory of his talk with Liz the night before and of their kiss. To Max, Liz’s kiss felt like rain during an August drought: it nurtured; it restored; it offered solace; it gave relief that he desperately needed.

Max knew it was a monumental step for both of them. One he wasn’t going to let slip away. No more watching passively as life moved and changed around him. No more watching from the sidelines as people lived and loved the way they chose to. That was the old Max. Wait and see, blend in, keep what he wanted most in life at arms length was what he used to do. No more. He was going to finally break free from his constrictions and be with the only woman he ever loved and who made him happy. His hopes were high for once. He intended without fail to make up for his mistakes. Whatever happens on Antar was beyond his control. He was given a second chance to live the life he only dreamed about and he wouldn’t let a day go by without reminding himself of just how close he came to loosing everything.
He glanced at the alarm clock on his side table and remembered he was meeting Michael at the basketball court in an hour. He quickly stepped out of bed and made his way to his bathroom to start his morning routine; pee, shower, shave, and dress himself.

As he stood wrapped in a towel in front of his opened closet, his well sculpted body still glistening with beads of water, he was struck with a feeling he’d never experienced before; the uncertainty of what to wear. Clothes were just clothes to him, nothing more but as he tried on several pairs of jeans and an equal amount of T-shirts that he’d worn numerous times before, he noticed that they just didn’t feel right on him. Maybe it was time to buy some new clothes. He thought to himself.

He shrugged it off and settled for a pair of baggy white gym shorts that still had the tags on them and his old gray sleeveless shirt.

After putting on his socks and gym shoes, he grabbed his keys and walked out of the house before his mom had a chance to grab him and force him to eat what ever horrible smelling breakfast concoction she was making that morning. Poor Isabel. He thought and then smiled mischievously to himself as he started his car.

Everything was simple and clear to him on his drive to the park, the cool morning breeze drying his hair while he drove through the streets of Roswell. His goals were to kick Michael’s ass on the basketball court and then put his plan to woo Liz into motion.

TBC...
hybridmagic
Tanya7496
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Epiphany (CC, M/L, Mature) CH 19- 2/20/07

Post by Tanya7496 »

I want to thank everyone for all the support and feedback I've received. I appreciate so so much.

Roslover39
Cocogurl
Smac
frenchkiss70
FSU/MSW-94
begonia9508
Natalie36
flyawayraven
behrluv32
Amanda
and to all the lurkers.

Thank you!!

A/N: Dialogue from Busted is being used.

Chapter 19

Crashdown Café ~ The Next Morning

The morning at the Crashdown seemed to drag on forever for Liz. After spending a sleepless night thinking about Max and what had transpired between them the night before, she was too wiped out to serve the customers their grease infused breakfast. But ever the diligent worker and daughter of the owner, Liz managed to drag herself out of bed and put on her waitresses uniform anyway.

“Boy, you two have been draggin’ your asses this morning.” Kyle said and then forked a piece of link sausage off of his plate and popped it into his mouth. “Late night last night?”

“You could say that.” Maria leaned up against the counter and tried not to smile thinking about last night. Although her first try at sexual experimentation had failed miserably, she and Michael had managed to learn for themselves how deliciously true the old statement “when at first you don’t succeed” really was. But now that the morning crowd was beginning to clear out of the café and she was about to end her shift, she realized how tired and sore she was from all her exertions the night before.

“Well not me my friend. I went to bed early once again. I’m seriously becoming pathetic these days. All I do is work, eat, and then go to bed. I’m the only one who has no life to speak of. Hell even my dad has been livin’ it up lately.” He slammed his fork down on the plate in front of him in self disgust.

“Aw. It can’t be that bad, can it?” Liz asked as she placed Kyle’s refill of orange juice in front of him.

“Wanna bet? My dad’s been going out almost every night this week and coming home stinkin’ like a brewery. I’m the one who’s supposed be doing that, not him.”

“Maybe it’s a midlife crisis kind of thing? You know? Next he’ll start dating women half his age and driving through the streets in a sports car.” Maria laughed.

“Sports car, no way…not on my salary. I don’t care what kind of crisis it is. I can barely keep a roof over our heads.”

“Wow. What gorgeous flowers.” Maria replied, making Kyle and Liz turn their heads in the direction of the entrance where they saw a young man carrying a bouquet of white roses wrapped in cellophane walking up to them. “I’ll give you one guess who those are for.”

“Can you tell me where….” The delivery boy lifted his clipboard and read from it. “Liz Parker is?”

“That’s me…I’m Liz Parker.”

“I need for you to sign here.” He tapped his pen on the x mark where she was supposed to sign.

“Didn’t you tell me Mr. Wonderful already left you a rose on your windowsill this morning?” Maria asked with a knowing smile after the delivery boy walked away. “I do believe he’s trying to woo you girlfriend.

“Do you really think so?” Liz put the fragrant bouquet up to her nose and smiled brightly.

“I know so.”

It was a pleasant surprise to find the single long stemmed white rose that was loving placed on her windowsill this morning with a note saying…A small token of my love for you till I get the chance be near you again. In the beginning of their relationship, with the little things he did, Max always had a way of making her feel special and desired. When she came back from Florida he began to leave her notes and flowers at her locker, he’d recite her favorite poetry outside her window, and then he serenaded her the night that his future self came and demolished her hopes of a happy life with him. The rose on her windowsill made her realize just how much she missed those wonderful things he used to do.

“Give me a break. You’re really considering taking Evans back after what he did to you?” Kyle shook his head.

“Shut up Kyle.” Maria hissed through her teeth. “Take your negativity somewhere else.”

Kyle raised his hands up defensively trying to block the heated glares that were directed his way. “I’m just sayin’, it should take more then some lame flowers to make up for what he did.”

“Well we both made mistakes Kyle and we are both trying to make up for them. But thanks for your concern.” Liz said and then walked away from them to put the flowers in a vase.

“Do you actually think it will work out this time?” Kyle asked honestly.

“I don’t know. It’s anyone’s guess when you’re dealing with human/alien relations of the heart. You know that Kyle.”

Evan’s Residence~ Later that evening

To Max’s memory he loved having dinner with his parents. It was always a time of pleasant banter and discussion of everyone daily activities, good food, and lots of laughter. The talk around the table would range from Mr. Evan’s cases at the office to Max’s science fair projects to Isabel’s need for a raise in her allowance so she could buy a pair of boots that she couldn’t live with out. He remembered the wonderful smell of his mom’s specialties as she placed them on the table and the playful teasing that would go on when she would try a new recipe that turned out to be uneatable. To this day the sound of his dad’s gregarious laughter and the giggles that came from Isabel and his mom whenever someone would say something funny was forever branded in his memory of dinnertime with his family.

But as Max sat across from his parents at the dinner table this evening, he realized how remarkably different it was from his idyllic memories. Dinnertime wasn’t an occasion he took pleasure in anymore and hadn’t been for quite awhile. It saddened him that he could no longer feel the ease he once did around his mom and dad. As much as he loved them and felt eternally grateful for raising him and his sister, he knew the lies and secrecy had formed an enormous chasm between them that he didn’t see changing in the near future.

There were no answers that he thought he could honestly give to the questions they seemed asked him all the time. He firmly believed that it wasn’t safe and it never would be again. That was something he knew emphatically after he was rescued from the white room and was reaffirmed after Alex died and Tess’s betrayal. So to keep his parents safe from all that surrounded him he kept them at arms length and did his best to evade the question’s that had no clear and straightforward answers.

“Max, I was wondering…since Isabel has picked out a college that she’s going to attend in the fall, I thought we might start narrowing down prospects for you to look into.” Mr. Evan’s offered as he looked quizzically at his son while they ate their spaghetti dinner.

Max exhaled sharply at the all too familiar topic.

“I told you dad—I still haven’t decided where I want to go yet. Besides it’s the summer. I’m sure I’ll have my mind made up by the time school starts.” He lied as usual. Max wanted to go to college and see the world like most humans his age but he was always under the assumption that that wasn’t an option for him.

Isabel put a supportive hand on Max’s arm. She knew what he was going through. She had recently broken the news to them that she was attending the local community college in the fall instead of the one in San Francisco like they’d discussed.

“Son you can’t go through life, and make something of yourself thinking the way you do. You have to set a goal and stick with it. That’s what I did.” He muttered as he chewed on a piece of meatball. “But the way you’re going, you’d be lucky to get hired at the cheese factory.”

“Phillip!” Mrs. Evan’s tried to intervene as always. “He’ll make up his mind when the time is right. Like he said, it’s the summer, not all kids his age are thinking about college during their summer break. I know you weren’t when you were his age.”

Ignoring his wife’s remark he went on to add. “Max, you’ve always been very bright and your report cards have always testified to that…until recently. I was shocked when I read your last report card. It’s not like you to make a grade lower than a B on anything.”

“Dad, he was going through a lot that last semester.” Isabel quickly defended her brother and than had to just as quickly come up with a reason. “You know girl troubles.” She added flippantly not eluding to any one girl or trouble.

“Oh really?” His mom was surprised. She was never made privy to her son’s love life. The last she’d heard about it was the time she was called in to speak to the principal about her son getting caught making out with the Parker’s daughter and his odd behavior last summer when she went away to Florida. Although, she did recall a girl named Tess calling a couple of times a few months back but never made anything of it because she assumed he was still hung up on Liz.

“Iz!” Max’s tone was low and warning making Isabel instantly cringe. “You know what? I’d really like to end this discussion right now. May I be excused please?”

“Yes, but we will talk more on the subject later.” His dad said sternly.

“Of course we will.” Max grabbed his half eaten plate of spaghetti off the table and walked into the kitchen to scrape what was left into the trash can. He then placed it in the sink all the while trying to not to overhear the low mutterings coming from the dinning room.

You’d never think that I was actually a king somewhere. He thought amusingly to himself as he closed the door to his room and sat on the edge of his bed. To everyone else on planet earth he was merely an eighteen year old mediocre high school student who, like many his age, didn’t have clue what was in his future. He hadn’t planned that far ahead. He mainly lived as if the next day was his last on this planet because any day he might have to leave everything behind to go home. Although he was not as extreme about it as Michael was because unlike Michael, he and Isabel had formed an attachment to their adoptive parents, it was always there under the surface.

Finding out that he was the king of another planet and was responsible for 3 others who were like himself along with the granolith that was entrusted to him, kind of made his future on Earth less certain than ever. Now with the granolith back on Antar, taking the option of going back out of the equation, he had no reason not to move forward in his life and do as other humans his age would be expected to do.

But right at this moment college was as far away from his thoughts as Antar was from Earth. If he knew nothing else, the one and constant was that Liz Parker was his future and always would be. She represented unmistakable clarity and a love that despite all the obstacles and mistakes that had been made between them would and did transcend time.

Max reached for the cordless phone on his night table and with out looking, dialed her number.

“Hello, Evan’s residence.”Liz’s mom answered in a pleasant voice.

“Can I talk to Liz please?” All of a sudden he had become nervous.

“Sure but make it quick. We’re about to start dinner.”

“Yes Mrs. Parker. Thank you. It won’t take long. I promise.”

He could hear her as she walked through the apartment and when she placed her hand over the receiver of the phone while she asked Liz if she wanted to talk to him.

“Hello Max.” Liz’s voice sounded sweet and happy as she spoke to him.

“Did you get my flowers?”

“Yes…they were beautiful. Thank you.”

“How was work this morning?”

“Okay. Kind of slow for a Sunday morning.”

“Really? I was going to come in to eat breakfast but I had to meet Michael at the basketball court.” Quit with the small talk and get to what you want to ask. He told himself. He was so nervous he could barely understand what she was saying on the other end.

“Who won?”

“What? Oh…oh I did.”

“That’s great. You were always good at basketball.”

There was a brief silence between them before Max spoke again. “So I was wondering if you wanted to, you know, see me.” He sucked air into his lungs and held it, waiting for her answer.

After what seemed like a lifetime to him, she did. “You mean, like, on a date?”

“Just somewhere we can talk. I just want to try to start over, Liz.”

“Liz get off the phone, your dinner’s getting cold!” Max heard the deep voice of her dad yelling from the background.

“Okay! I’ll be right there.” She yelled back at her dad. “Max, are you still there?”

“Yeah I’m still here.”

“I have to go.”

“Wait…wait! You haven’t answered my question.” He said urgently and then asked her again but this time with confidence. “Will you go out with me, Liz Parker?”

“Yes, I’d love to but when?” She giggled.

“Is tomorrow night too soon…around seven thirty?”

“I’m sure I could get Maria to cover my shift.”

“Okay I’ll pick you up at seven thirty.” He smiled and wanted to jump up and down on his bed.

“Alright, I’ll see you then.”

When he turned off the phone he fell back on his bed, wanting to scream out load from sheer happiness.

“You just got finished talking to Liz didn’t you?”

He sat up in his bed to see Isabel looking down at him with a shrewd look on her face.

“How’d you guess?” He asked with an annoyed tone to his voice. He hated how she always made snide comments about his feelings for Liz. Before he’d let it roll off his back because he knew she secretly envied what he shared with Liz. But they were older and times had changed…he had changed. He wasn’t going to let someone try to make him doubt his place beside Liz.

“That goofy grin of yours is a dead give away.” She ruffled his hair like she did when they were kids. “I’m glad Max. Really I am. I love to see you finally happy and with the person you belong with. It gives me hope that I may one day find love for myself.” Max watched Isabel’s expression change from happy to sad to questioning in a matter of few seconds.

“Max, it’s a little late to be spring cleaning, don’t you think?” She asked, pointing to the two large trash bags in front of his closet. “What are they?”

“Most of my clothes.” He answered his voice monotone and emotionless. He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t feel comfortable in them anymore.”

She nodded, understanding exactly how he felt. “Well they can always use them at the homeless shelter.”

It was true. He’d spent most of the day, after playing basketball, going through his cloths so he could find something to wear. Before, right after he’d come back from the desert, he had been wearing basic t-shirts and old jeans to work in because of all the clean up that needed to be done at the UFO Center but he wanted find something nice to wear in case Liz said yes to going out with him on a date. To his horror and shame he found the long sleeved blue, red trimmed shirt that he had worn the night he’d spent with Tess in the observatory, and upon touching it he received flashes of that night…images that he didn’t want to relive again. So like a madman, he tore through his closet discarding the majority of his clothes and disintegrating in his hands, the shirt and jeans that he had worn that night.

“Hey what’s this?” Isabel asked as she reached into one of the bags and pulled a white unopened garment box. “A Christmas present?

“Iz don’t open that please. I don’t want to see it.” It was a present from Tess that he never opened. She had told him it was a black V neck sweater when she handed it to him but at the time he felt weird about wearing it and when things started getting serious between them, it was too warm to wear it so he stuck it in the back of his closet unopened and forgot about until today.

“Why?” She tried peeking inside the box.

His frown deepened. “It was a gift from Tess, okay. Now if you don’t mind please put it back in the bag.”

Without delay she did as he asked and tied the draw string as tight as she could in several knot as if something evil that must never come out was inside the black trash bag.

She looked over at him bashfully. “I came in here to tell you that I’m sorry about bringing up the “girl thing” with dad. I just wanted to change the subject and I thought something generic like girl trouble would do it.”

“It’s okay. I know dad’s been putting us both on edge lately with his questions about me. I’m sorry that you keep getting caught in the middle all the time.” He scooted up his bed until his back was against the wall. “I’m just waiting for the day he brings up the jeep.”

“Oh lets not go there tonight. I’ve had enough delving into the past to last a lifetime.”

He nodded. “Me too.”

“When are you seeing Liz again?”

“Tomorrow night. She’s agreed to go out on a date with me.” He couldn’t help but smile at the mention of her name.

“Let me know if you need any help picking out what you’re going to wear…or with that hair of yours.” She laughed as he ran his hands self consciously through the thick shaggy mass of black hair on the top of his head and then without a word walked out of his room.

Parker Residence~ Later that evening

After dinner Liz stuck around the kitchen to help her mom clean up. The phone call from Max had her thinking about her future and what direction she was headed in. Cleaning always cleared her mind.

“You were pretty quiet during dinner tonight.” Nancy Parker asked her daughter. “Is there anything you want to talk about?” She gathered up the dinner dishes from the table and placed them in the sink.

“Not really.” Liz answered, then grabbed her plate and began to help her mom clean up. Liz never felt comfortable divulging her inner most thoughts to her parents. It had always been that way even before she knew alien existed.

“You know, you can talk to me about anything.” Nancy rinsed one of the dishes and handed it to Liz to put in the dishwasher. Liz had been quiet all evening ever since she got off the phone with Max. “Is it because Max called you?”

“No.” She shook her head and then changed the subject. “Can I ask you something that has had me wondering for a while?”

“Yes, go ahead.”

“Do you ever regret making the choice to stay in Roswell instead of going to Paris to study art?” She had wanted to ask her mom that question since she could remember. Her mom loved to paint and was really good at it. In fact, most of the artwork in the café and in their home was done by her mom. Liz could recall the day her mom spent painting the mural of the three alien teenagers and how proud she was of her work. But Liz knew her mom had wanted more in life. She had even been accepted to a prestigious art school in Paris right before she married Liz’s dad but never went. Now she takes care of the house and café and maybe teaches an art class every so often at the Elderly Center for Creative Living.

Her mom put down her dish towel and looked at her daughter curiously. “Honey, why are you asking me this now?”

“I’ve just always wanted to know if you had it to do over would you still choose to marry dad and have me.”

“In a second.” She replied without hesitation or pause. “I knew the moment I met your father I knew which path I was headed. Do I miss painting the way I used to? Sure, I do but I wouldn’t trade what I have now for anything in the world.” She grabbed Liz and hugged her close to her.

“Max asked me on a date tonight.” Liz said after they began putting the leftovers in the refrigerator.

“He did?” Her mom asked somewhat skeptically. “Are you ready for that yet?”

“I think so.”

“Well if you’re sure.” Her mother asserted with a smile and then added. “I think you should take it slowly. You know, just dinner and then come straight home. Don’t make plans for dates in the future and absolutely no making out.”

“Mom.” Liz protested. “Okay mother daughter share time is officially over now.” Liz started to walk out of the kitchen but her mom grabbed her and turned her around to face her.

“He hurt you Liz. I don’t know how he did it, I can only image. But I don’t want him to do it again. Okay? I like Max, I always have. He was raised by good people and I think the world of Phillip and Diane.” Mrs. Parker smoothed a strand of loose hair that had fallen into Liz’s face, back into her ponytail. “But you’re my daughter and when you hurt I hurt right along with you.”

“I know mom. I promise to take things slowly with Max from now on.” She didn’t know if she could keep her promise to her mother but she would try. The pull she felt every time she was around Max was strong and sometimes over powering, it took almost all her strength and willpower to fight it. For the past year she felt as if she was in a tug of war with herself and her connection to Max. It was only a matter of time before she either gives into Max completely or snaps apart. He was already the keeper of her heart, mind, and soul. All that was left was her body.

TBC...
Last edited by Tanya7496 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybridmagic