The Healing Change

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

The Healing Change

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Why is it that the healing caused Liz to developed powers that none of the other aliens had? The green electricity stuff and the being clairvoyant.

Max does not have any of these powers and yet he was able to ‘pass’ them on to Liz by healing her. And another thing, why is it that when Liz’s powers were first being developed they seemed to respond negatively to Max? This seems to suggest that they are connected to him in some way, yet how can they be when they are not the powers he has. Just something I was thinking about.

I guess the question I’m really asking is what exactly does Max’s healing DO to a person to change them? Nasedo said that Max Michael Isabel and Tess had human brains that were just programmed to be several thousand years ahead of mankind. So does that mean that through healing Max has the power to unlock human minds?
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

I think that there's two ways to answer tha question.

1) Liz is a human, when Max saved her he altered her DNA or her genes and caused Liz to evolve, mutate, change. Why she got clairvoyancing as a power, I don't know. But if I had to supply a theory, humans use only about 10% of their brain power at present, in thousands of years time, if they learn to use more they may be able to develop powers that are only the stuff of comic book now. So being healed by Max fastracked Liz's development. Maybe their powers are linked to their personalities. Max wanted everything to be ok and to fix things so he got the power to heal. He also tries to protect others, - the sheild. Michael wants to push everyone away and to be strong. He got firepower. Isabel wants to be able to trust people so she can see into their minds. Tess was duplicitious and she got the power of mindwarp. Liz is organised and likes to be in control, maybe seeing into the future plays into that?

2) Jason Katims knew that the show as coming to an end. He also knew that most of the fans wanted Liz to be identified as being extra special, important and to be powerful so he wrote in the powers to please the fans.
Banner by Evelyn
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I agree with tequathisy about the reason the powers were different... that they seemed to play into each characters personality.

As for the green sparks....

Isabel had green sparks too when she was shot and couldn't control her powers. Thus I would assume that the green sparks in Liz were because she had all this energy her body was now producing but she hadn't learned how to channel it properly yet.

The negative reaction to Max was because emotionally things weren't quite right between them at the time and strong emotions trigger certain chemical reactions in the body and reduce the effectiveness of the logical controlling section of the brain.

So when Max got near her emotions would run high, her energy level would surge a little, what little control she had would slip a little, thus causing a negative reaction.

Later after Max died and she was highly emotional her powers started acting up again. And when Max came back and they finally worked out their issues and put the past behind them she stopped having negative reactions to Max.... plus she was probably gradually learning how to better channel the energy.

I also agree with tequathisy on how Liz developed the powers... Whether it was altering her DNA or just "healing" sertain mental pathways that should have been their at the stage of evolution that Max's human DNA was artificially evolved too.

That being said.... the theory that is cannon that powers can come from using a larger percentage of your brain is ridiculous.

Humans use only about 10% of their brain at any one point in time, but they do use 100% of their brain. I don't know what the percentage is but humans only use a small fraction of their muscle mass at any one point in time too.

When are activities change we start using different sets of muscles. They say it takes more muscles to frown than to smile... so when you're smiling you are using a smaller percentage of your muscles... when you are sitting you aren't using the same muscles and when you are standing or running... which aren't the same muscles you use for swimming or rock climbing.

Each activity uses a different set of muscles... some muscles are used in all of those activities while others might be reserved for still others.

It's the same with the brain... You use different parts of your brain for solving problems, creating art, storing and retrieving memory, reading etc...

Have you ever heard of anyone getting brain damage and the doctors saying... but it's ok because the damage is in part the 90% that you don't use? That's just dumb... we use all our brains just not all at the same time the same way we don't use our muscles all at the same time.