Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI pg13 8/29 [COMPLETE]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI pg13 8/29 [COMPLETE]

Post by ken_r »

Cowgirl Princess

The Title: The cowgirl Princess
Author: ken_r AKA ken242 AKA Kenneth Renouard
Rating: Mostly teen to mature
Genera: AU no aliens
Conventional couples.
Disclaimer: the characters are all Roswell and only being borrowed as in actors. The songs are marked with their addresses, but I changed some words to reflect the way I originally learned them.

Dedicated to: Sucide_Eagle_Rath and her “Cowboy and his Filly”

Summary: Liz, a New Yorker, who fantasizes when she is nervous, scared or confused. If you haven’t read the Secret Life of Walter Mitty, you should. I had to, so should you.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/6821/thurber.html

Like Walter, Liz uses her fantasies to help her get through life. As the story progresses, you will see when the fantasy dissolves, leaving Liz dealing with real life. She comes to terms and, then, the question is can she fall in love with a cowboy when her family is against every move?

The Cowgirl Princess

Liz Parker was from a wealthy family who lived in New York City. She was used to the crowds of the city. Her arrival in the southwest was a shock while still in the plane.

Liz had taken a late evening flight. She had a window seat and the view of the land below her was fantastic. The lights of life below were like a fantasy. Liz, with her imagination, was making up stories as they flew.

-----------

The Princess was enthralled as she flew on her personal dragon. The breeze in her face and the smells from below were exciting as she traveled from the land of “There” to the new land of “Here.” The dragon could be counted on to swoop close to the earth where she could see the inhabitants, all knowing the colors of the royal beast and would wave assured that someone from the royal house was passing. The people of the land all were traveling with their magic vehicles. The glow from which made traces when seen from above.

-----------

Liz leaned back in her seat as the stewardess came by offering drinks and snacks. Liz’s ticket was clearly marked that she was only 18, so the only offering she was given was juice or soft drinks. She did accept a custard cup of pudding and, then, looked again out the window at the sight below.

----------------

From time to time, the dragon would stop and the peasants would crowd around all vying to offer Princess Elizabeth dainty foods and special wines. It was almost a contest as to what she would accept. The dragon, then, would be off again into the clear cool sky.

-------------

Liz felt the need and she nudged the man in the outside seat. He smiled and closing his laptop and pulling out the earplugs to his Ipod, he moved so she could make her way out to the aisle and back to the restrooms. Liz was wishing she had not drunk those ice teas while sitting in the cafeteria back at the airport.

Liz had been listening to a young businessman as he talked of his exploits. This had been good entertainment for the time she had to spend waiting for her flight. Once back from the restroom, Liz had to, again, stand before the man with a ipod and laptop as he smiled and, again, rearranged his things so she could scoot back into her place. He then went back to his Ipod and laptop and she went back to her fairyland that acted as a retreat whenever she was scared, nervous or bored.

---------

Princess Elizabeth’s head was swimming with the heady wine she had been offered. It would have been a trial to not fall off the royal dragon except that no dragon working for the royal family had ever lost a passenger, especially when it was the royal heir herself. Elizabeth had drunk and eaten much that her subjects had thrust upon her.

There was a moment when the logic in Liz asked why the princess in the story didn’t ever have to go to the bathroom and why the royal heir always hsd the right to drink whatever she wanted, no matter what her age. Oh well, stories weren’t made of beautiful maidens having to hit the toilet or feel an upset tummy from eating and drinking too much rich food or drink. The royal princess didn’t have to worry about her weight, either. She could munch on bon-bons all day and not gain an ounce.

Looking down the princess could see the blinking lights illuminatiing the royal high way. She could see the large fields of light where her subjects gathered, awaiting the chance to see the royal dragon.

---------------

The stewardess came by and Liz waved to catch her attention. “Excuse me, where are we about now?” she asked.

The stewardess didn’t bother looking out the window but rather glanced at her watch. “We are still in Texas, but in five minutes we should be over New Mexico.

--------------

The princess relaxed. Her father’s realm extended for as far as one could travel. She would always be safe within this realm. Elizabeth, again, leaned over and looked down from her dragon. Her heart was almost stuck in her throat. There was almost nothing below. The sparkling lights she had been watching, as her subjects noted her path, were gone.

-------------------

Liz waved to the stewardess, “Ma’am, what happened to the lights below us? Are we in a storm or something?” she inquired.

The stewardess laughed, “No, this is New Mexico. It is pretty sparsely populated down there.”

-------------
The Princess Elizabeth gazed on the demonic realm of the monsters. No more did she feel the comfort of the citizens who almost worshipped her father and thus her. Below, she could imagine that in the dark there were things just waiting to eat a virgin princess. Liz was wishing she had taken that midnight boat ride, alone with Stewart, the last week of school. Virgins were in demand and Liz was sure that the monsters didn’t have all that many of them.

--------------

It wasn’t that late, but for farm people in the rural area below, the chickens and the cows, not to mention the other chores, all demanded that they would be finished before school tomorrow. This made the house lights be turned out earlier than in the more urban areas.

-------------

As the dragon silently flew across the damned land below, Princess Elizabeth saw lights wink out. She could imagine that the attacks of the demons must be killing those below. There were still a few single lights that were lined up like dotted lines with a long distance between the dots. Those must be people of virtue trying to find a haven of safety before being devoured by the demons, who must be pillaging the territory below. Princess Elizabeth shivered. That a land of such travesty could exist so close to her daddy’s realm was scary.

The gentleman sitting with the Ipod and laptop had seen Liz shiver. “Miss, are you all right? If you are cold, I can catch the stewardess and ask for a blanket for you,” he offered.

Liz nodded her thanks, “I am Okay. I was just looking at the land below. It seems so desolate.”

The man leaned over across Liz and gazed down. “Thank God, I am so tired of the crowded cities. It is great to be back in the ‘Land of Enchantment’ where I belong.

--------------

Princess Elizabeth thought that was what was wrong with the land. It was enchanted by an evil ogre or maybe a raiding party of orcs. Liz, sometimes, got her fantasy lands mixed up. The princess wondered what would become of her once the dragon landed. How would she survive in this land of enchanted mystery?

------------------

The plane landed and Liz managed to get her luggage onto a cart with the help of a skycap, one of those men who were employed by the airline to assist passengers with their bags. She was resting beside the cart when a tall blonde sat down beside her.

“Hi, my name is Isabel. Are you going to the college?”

Liz nodded. She was a little fearful. She didn’t really know what to expect in this land.

“What motel are you staying at? You know that you can’t get into a room at the college until morning,” Isabel continued.

No, she didn’t know that. Or at least Liz hadn’t thought that the college dorm would be closed to admittance until morning. She sat there thinking about what she was going to do. “I guess, I will have to get a motel room until morning,” she said thoughtfully.

Isabel laughed, “Well, good luck on that one! Most of the motel rooms have been booked up since the first of August. This is Las Cruces. When the parents are bringing or visiting their children, you can bank on almost every place to be filled weeks in advanced.”

Now Liz was a little frightened. She could handle the situation back east. If she needed a hotel room, she would just ask the desk manager to find one if his establishment was filled. Here, the thought that there might not be such an animal, as an empty room, was frightening.

Isabel watching her expression said. “Look, I know we don’t know each other yet, but my name is Isabel Evans. I am a junior at the college. I’m studying graphic design. My boyfriend won’t be here until tomorrow either. I have a room and they don’t charge anymore for double occupancy than they do for one. Why don’t you just share a room with me?”

That easy, Liz met a friend and found a room at the same time.

-------------------

Princess Elizabeth got down off the dragon. Those, who were supposed to meet her, had left word that they couldn’t see her until morning. She stood trying to think what she would do. Suddenly, a maiden of station came by, seeing the royal princess destitute, as far as rooming, she offered to share her abode. Princess Elizabeth couldn’t help but accept such a generous offer. This just showed that Elizabeth’s station was recognized even in this enchanted oasis. There had been someone willing to take care of her.

----------------------

Isabel tossed her luggage onto Liz’s cart and they pushed it to the curb. Isabel put two fingers in her mouth and let loose with a piercing whistle. Quickly, a cab came to the curb. Isabel looked at Liz, “The whistle comes from practice. It gets the attention of a cowboy, even across a herd of crying cows.”

The cabbie quickly took the girls to the Motel 6 right across the street from the college.

Isabel had showered first and suggested Liz follow. “A hot shower sure takes out the kinks from sitting that long on a plane.”

When they were sitting in on their respective beds dressed in gowns Isabel started talking, “I live on a ranch just outside of Roswell. Sorry for the un-lady like whistle but some times you have to be loud to get someone to pay attention. I just got back from Florida. I attended a seminar there on graphic arts; I think I said that was my major. Now, I have to wait for my boyfriend. He has the key to our apartment. We thought I would not get in until tomorrow.”

Liz looked at Isabel, “You share an apartment with your boyfriend?”

Isabel laughed, “Yes, it can be dangerous for a girl alone on campus. This way I have someone who will walk me to functions at night. We will probably get married when we get through undergraduate school.”

Liz asked, “What do your parents say? I can’t imagine what mine would say if I told them I was moving in with a boy.”

“Mom didn’t say much, but Dad thought it was a good idea. Alex is a saddle bronc rider. He is stone tough and there aren’t many people who could take him in a fair fight. If he was allowed to fight unfair and dirty, he would clean their plow immediately,” Isabel related.

Liz just said, “Wow, you seem so, so…real, like out of a movie. I hope I do not get into trouble living in the dorm.”

Isabel reached across to take the papers Liz had been looking at, “Let’s see you have the Montgomery dorm. That is a party dorm. I hope you don’t intend to get much sleep.”

Liz had a hard look on her face, “Oh, that is bad! I have a grade point average to keep up or my daddy will suspend my tuition. They don’t tell you these things when you sign up. I just signed up for the Montgomery dorm because it sounded formal and all, named after the English general of W.W.II.

Isabel laughed again, “No, it was named after Cliff Montgomery, the tight end who was charged with steroid use last year in pro-football. He was known as the biggest party man on campus when he was a senior.”

She looked at Liz. Liz was clearly worried, “Isabel, what will happen if I can’t study there? I came to college to work, not play. My daddy has plenty of money, but he also has little patience. He expects success.”

Isabel frowned, “There is a solution. My brother owns a house right across from the campus. He has three other rooms besides his for rent. Right now, there is Maria, she is a girl we all knew in high school, Michael Guerin, another friend from high school and the last time I talked to him, he had one more room for rent. The house has four bedrooms and two bathrooms. You would have kitchen privileges along with a study room and they aren’t into parties. When they do want to go to parties, Michael and Max all go to the dorms. Seems they can always get a party there and leave when they want quiet.”

Liz looked at Isabel, “I don’t know. Sharing an apartment with men doesn’t sound very safe to me.”

Isabel answered, “Naw, it is safe. Maria has always had her eye on Michael and if he were to get out of line, well, in that couple, it is surely Maria who wears the spurs! Now, my brother is very shy, usually, and besides, if you were a friend of mine, he would be very careful how he treated you. Michael and Max are bull riders and they have landed on their heads so many times that they are known for being tough. No one would mess with them or anyone under their protection.”
Last edited by ken_r on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI Mar 9

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
L-J-L 76

Eve went on to tell me that Swiss cows have to moo or what ever in four languages. If any of you have studied Onomatopoeia or words of languages that describe sounds. It is fun to see how languages do this. Some are closer than English and some you have to think that maybe animals do speak differently in other countries. It is always fun to have Lizza with me on a story. She always has questions that the story has to sometimes answer.

Chapter 2

The next day Alex called, “Isabel are you ready to move to the apartment. I am sorry that I wasn’t here to meet you. Dad had a pony he wanted to start breaking. I just couldn’t get away.”

Isabel was all sugar as she talked to Alex, “Alex, dear, could you help a friend of mine? She came here with me from the airport. She needs to take her stuff to the dorms.”

Alex was all soft and fuzzy when Isabel asked him anything. Alex could control the meanest bronc, but when Isabel asked, he just couldn’t refuse her anything. “Sure, Izzy, I will be there in a minute with the pickup.”

Liz was kind of excited. She was to meet the first cowboy she had ever seen. When he entered, Liz wasn’t sure what she expected. Alex was tall. Taller than Isabel and he was wire slim. It wasn’t until Liz began to gather her luggage that she saw how strong he was. He grabbed her two biggest bags and hefted them onto his shoulder and, with Isabel walking right beside him, they preceded to his pickup. The bags deposited in the pickup Alex went back for the remaining bag. It was heavy because it had all her books. When Alex returned, he was handling it like it was filled with air. The two girls crowded into the pickup with Isabel in the middle next to Alex and Liz by the window.

-------------------

The woman of station who aided the princess, found suitable transportation for her things. He was a magical man who lifted all her luggage to his shoulder and took them to his carriage. Princess Elizabeth marveled that she had met such nice people to aid her. Next, it was to see what her new home would look like. The princess was sure she would be allotted adequate accommodations. She was sure they would be correct for her station.

----------------

When Alex arrived near the Montgomery dorm, there was a party in the street. Several men and a few women were holding plastic cups full of warm beer. The Frisbees were flying and Alex had to honk several times to get them to let him through. When they stopped one large football lineman type, a man who would soon be in pro football came up to Alex, “Look, cowboy we are playing here. You just wait until we are finished.”

Alex’s hand shot out grabbing him by his shirt, “No, you look jockey strap boy. We have some luggage to unload and unless you want to sit out the first few football practices, I suggest you just get out of our way!”

Liz was amazed at the audacity of Alex. She saw that the man who had approached him was almost on tipsy toes as Alex lifted him by the shirt with one hand. While he was doing this, Liz took in all she saw. Alex was thin as said. He was dressed in Levis. He was wearing what Liz would later come to know as a trophy buckle on his belt. His boots were run over a little at the heel, which caused him to stand a little bow-legged. His checkered shirt had snaps instead of buttons and on his head was a high crowned hat. Liz was amazed at how sure he was of himself.

Isabel saw Liz looking slightly incredulous and whispered. “Alex breaks broncs for his dad. He can be gentle, and mostly he is, but sometimes, he gets a hammer-headed horse, who only understands strength. Alex is one of the best.”

The other men playing Frisbee must have thought so, also. They let Alex through without any more trouble and he carried Liz’s bags to her room.

Isabel slipped Liz her personal card with her cell phone number on it. As she hugged her new friend, she said, “Call me if you have any trouble.”

-------------------

The princess was deposited at her new house. The commoners were frolicking about the environs. They were playing some sort of game. The friend, Isabel, helped the princess get everything set up. Then, with a hug of endearment, she and the man of magic, left. The princess was now in the home she would have for the next four years.

-----------------------

Alex and Isabel had just gotten home to their apartment. “I have been wanting to get you alone, ever since you called last night saying you were in Las Cruces,” Alex exclaimed as he lifted Isabel up by her waist and, then, brought her back to smother her with a hug and many kisses.

Isabel was caressing him. She, also, had been suffering through expectations that had been delayed by the actions of helping her friend. They had fallen on their bed and were petting, soon to be traveling roads of more amorous adventures when Isabel’s cell phone began playing, “She wore a Yellow Ribbon,” rang.
http://h1.ripway.com/wil3/1She_Wore_A_Yellow_Ribbon.mid

When Isabel answered, she could barely hear. She finally made it out. It was Liz. Something about, was the apartment with her brother still available? There was a drunken sound and, then, the sound of a slap. “Please, Isabel, can you take me out of here?”

Isabel sat up. She was looking at Alex. “I guess you picked up another stray puppy,” was all he said.

Isabel dialed Max’s cell phone. She knew that it would be playing ‘Folsom Prison Blues,’ “Max, do you still have that room for rent?” she asked.
http://www.last.fm/music/Johnny+Cash/+v ... 1xSt7iganA
http://www.last.fm/music/Johnny+Cash/_/ ... ison+Blues

“Yeah, sure, who wants to rent it?” came the reply.

“A friend of mine, but we have to rescue her from the party at the Montgomery dorm,” Isabel explained.

She heard a chuckle. “If she is at the Montgomery dorm, why would she want to move in with us? We are pretty quiet,” Max stated.

“That is just it, Max. She sounded like she was in trouble. We need to go get her and help her move. You know how that dorm gets the first night of school,” Isabel pleaded.

It was settled. Max and Michael would meet them at the dorm and, quickly, take Liz’s things over to his house. Max and Michael would get there first.

-------------------

The princess was clearly in trouble. She had sent out a call for help, but if help didn’t arrive soon, the princess would be in dire straights. The population seemed to be revolting. The princess couldn’t tell what they were revolting against, but danger was everywhere. Her royal blouse had already been ripped. She tried to lock her dorm door, but her new room mate unlocked the door and, dragging in a man, she immediately started to make love on the bed. The princess decided that whatever bed she chose to make love on, was going to be hers.

Another knave grabbed the princess. Didn’t the fool know that touching her royal person was a death sentence? The knave attempted to force some vile liquid down her throat. The princess was struggling. She was vainly trying to save her royal self.

Suddenly three people entered. They must be knights in shinning armor and the woman with them must have been a shield maiden.

-------------------

The first man looked at her and asked, “You, Liz?”

She nodded her head. The slobbering drunk who was trying to kiss her was getting even more insistent.

“I am Max. This is Michael and the blonde who is going to rip the balls off that dumb jock if he touches her, is Maria. Isabel said you wanted to rent a room. Do you want to discuss terms?” the first man inquired.

Liz looked at the two men. They were dressed a lot like Alex had been in. The Levies, the rundown boots and the snap shirt. Neither of them were wearing a hat. Both of them had that large shinny buckle on their belts. The blonde woman, also, wearing a cowboy shirt with snaps, was wearing designer jeans. Instead of boots, she was wearing penny loafers.

Michael turned to the drunk who was eyeing Maria. “If you touch her she will have your balls. Then, I will hair brand you with a dull knife.”

Liz didn’t have the slightest idea of what he said, but the drunk seemed to understand. Within a few minutes, Isabel and Alex arrived.

“Oh, Isabel, I can’t live here. If I don’t find somewhere else to go I am going to return home. This isn’t what I expected in college!” Liz said.

Isabel was holding Liz in her arms. The noise outside showed that the party was far from over. The couple in the other bed were still going at it. They hadn’t missed a single stroke.

"There are other dorms, Liz. We all spent our freshmen year in dorms, but they were study dorms and much quieter. There, also, is the room my brother is renting. You have, now, met all the people living there, so let us know what you want to do,” Isabel said calmly.

Liz looked at everyone. “I think I want to move somewhere else,” she declared.

Max and Michael lifted her bags. Liz hadn’t even unpacked. With Alex and Isabel holding her hand, they led her out of the building.

------------------

The knights were soon joined by the shield maiden and the woman of quality that the princess had met the day before. They led her through the rioting peasants and, without any trouble at all, they had led her to one of their carriages. It seemed that with the strong knights, the princess was now safe.

--------------------

The two pickups all went to Max’s house. They unloaded the luggage. Then, Max called them all to the living room for a meeting. “Liz there will be a fixed amount every month for room rent. We share the utility bills so we all try to be as economical as possible.

There are two refrigerators. Michael and Maria share one. You and I will share the other. I will move all my food to the right side and your may have the left side. For things in the small freezer, just mark what ever you put in with a “L” and I promise not to use it. There is a washer and dryer on the back porch. We sort of try to take turns. You might have to work around the rest of us who already have our schedule.

There is a cable Internet, so we just have to set you up. You will have an email address on campus that you can access from here. One of us will take you to the campus most of the time. You can check with us to make arrangements to be picked up when we return.

If you have to return to the campus after dark, one of us will take you and bring you back. It really isn’t safe for a girl walking across campus after dark. There are escort services if you have to go from place to place after dark. These are volunteers who escort women at night, but they only will do this on campus. Call one of us, or Alex, if you get stuck and need a ride home. If you entertain a male , just keep it down. If you want to use the living room, just tell the rest of us. Any questions?”

--------------

The leader of the knights, Sir Maxwell presented the princess with the rules of the castle that would protect and enlighten her during her stay. They were all gracious as to what would make her stay most pleasant. The princess was sure she would learn to really like these people, nearly as much as she did those she left at home.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 3 Mar 24

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
Natalie36
L-J-L 76
Michelle in Yonkers
Keepsmiling7
Martine

I think Max made it pretty plain in his talk to Liz. There were many things that she was going to have to do for herself. The first question, I asked myself, was since it is clear that Liz can’t cook, how did she manage. In the twenty-first century even Las Cruces has large stores with deli food displayed. She probably would have purchased packaged prepared salads and meats. Almost all students have Microwaves.

Liz is from another world. Entering the real world or rather the world of the cowboys is what the story is about. I am sure many of you have very wonderful memories living in a dorm but my son and most of my students have only horror stories so being in an apartment is so much better.

I like the Walter Mitty feeling Liz has. The fantasy is also an indicator of her progress of growing up. The other story I have going right now is very serious so I like this one because it is just playful. It also is a story where interaction between Max and Liz starts immediately.

The way I describe the cowboys is real. They are my relatives and students and in a small way myself. I did value the fact that when I got old I wanted to write fiction stories so I never rode anything that wanted to throw me off. I valued my head too much.

Chapter 3

Liz woke up the next morning. The night before was like a dream, one she didn’t wish to recall. There was a soft knock on the door. “Come in,” Liz called.

Maria was standing just outside the doorway. “The bathrooms can be used by any of us, but the one nearest is set up with feminine things. The toilet seat is always down, at least most of the time. We can keep toiletries for shower and shampoo out on the shelves. First person up puts the coffee on. I am just out of the shower, so it is free for you. Michael will take us to the campus in about an hour. You have to register and get set up.” With that, Maria was gone. Liz broke out her housecoat and her undies. She showered and returned to get dressed.

Michael was making toast. “Toast, coffee and just plain bread we share. There is juice in our frig. For today, just help your self. Someone will take you to the store to shop for groceries later today.”

Liz accepted the toast and poured herself a cup of coffee. “Where is Max?” she asked.

Michael glanced at the calendar on the wall, “This is Monday so he has to be up early to check his animals. He is studying farm animal biology. This semester he has to be up early on Mondays and Wednesdays.” Michael handed her a card. The card had all five of their cell phone numbers. “Give your number to Maria tonight. She will print some new cards with your number on it, also.” Michael continued.

-------------------

The princess went back to her rooms. She had broken the morning fast and now was ready to face the trials of her new office. The carriage would be ready soon. She would spend the day arranging her schedule and attending to the accoutrements of her office.

------------------------

Liz climbed into Michael’s truck. Maria was already there. As they drove to the “office,” Maria stated, “Liz, if you go to the bookstore to get your textbooks at two o’clock this afternoon, I can meet you. Michael or Max will pick us up and take our books home for us.

Liz spent the morning signing papers, getting lists of materials and looking for the different buildings. She had a backpack with her things back at Max’s house.

----------------------
As the princess wondered through the castle grounds she soon located the different buildings. She met the wardens of the buildings and learned the passwords and was given the keys, which were little cards, that she would need to return.

The whole grounds of the castle were so much bigger than what she had expected. The princess entered the royal Library. The first thing that they did was to ask for her identity. At first, the princess was affronted that they didn’t yet know her. Then, she remembered the precautions were for her benefit and protection.

The princess wondered through the stacks of books. There were others of this realm, some clearly working, and others, just like Princess Elizabeth, were browsing seeing what the library had to offer.

The princess was beginning to feel faint. She hadn’t taken sustenance since she had broken fast early that morning. The princess consulted her guide and found where the royal cafeteria resided. She departed for that location post haste.

-------------------

The cafeteria was in the Student Union Building. There was regular restaurant food as well as fast food. Liz, needed to eat but she didn’t feel like a large meal. She bought a salad and a soft drink.

--------------------

The princess was presented with food prepared with the skill and excellence that spoke of her station. She hoped that the creators of the different meals weren’t disappointed that she only took a plate of fresh greens and a cup of wine. The princess turned and surveyed the vast area where the citizens were sitting, eating and talking. She sat alone because she was truly a stranger in a strange land. A trumpet was heard, the princess looked up and behold the lady of quality had entered, the Lady Isabel.

--------------------

“Hi, Liz, how is the first day?” Isabel said. Liz noticed that just the presence of Isabel made the day seem brighter.

“Oh, I am finding everything. I still have to get my books. Maria told me to meet her at the bookstore and we would get them. Then she would arrange help to get back to the house,” Liz replied as she drank her Coke.

“Yeah, well, change of plans. Maria had to get her books early and Michael has already taken her back to their house. I still have to get my books so you can go with me. Max will come and get us when we are ready,” Isabel informed her.

-----------------

Arrangements were made to bring a carriage to pick up the lady Isabel and the princess when they had made their purchases. The princess said nothing because she was used to having someone care for her.

------------------

When the women arrived at the bookstore, Liz could, well, have been back at the old dorm. The crowd was terrible. They were pushing and shoving as they grabbed the books they needed.

Liz was unsure about how she was going to manage through this crowd. Suddenly, Max and Alex appeared. They had some sort of portable carts. Immediately, Alex took the book list from Isabel and Max did the same to Liz. With the girls in tow, they moved through the crowd. Liz was amazed how the two men could just walk through the collection of people and no one dared shove them. She kept very close to Max so she was, also, shielded from the tugging and shoving of the masses.

--------------------

Having the stalwart knights, made the purchases much easier. With their armor, they were impervious to the dangers or discomforts presented by the crowds. The Princess Elizabeth and the Lady Isabel were finished in record time. The princess could only marvel how much easier it was with the faithful knights escorting them. Soon, they presented their purchases and the two knights wheeled the carts to the royal carriages awaiting.

-----------------

With the packages of books safely stored on the bed of the pickup, along with the two portable carts, Alex grabbed Isabel swinging her around for a kiss. “Honey, I will be back soon. I have to see one of my advisors. I will call when I leave campus,” Alex departed to previous engagements.

Isabel held the door for Liz and when Isabel got in, Liz found herself solidly against Max. Max was a working cowboy. He had spent the day at the animal pens. There was a faint odor of his deodorant along with the smell of a man who has been working. There was, also, that faint smell that Liz, at the time didn’t recognize of the stable.

Max seemed quiet but Isabel chatted continuously. Her day was consumed with her new classes, the people she had seen that she knew from last year, and her hopes and expectations for what she wanted this year.

--------------

When the carriage arrived at the small castle where Lady Isabel and her, lover Sir Alex were in residence, Sir Maxwell quickly got out, holding the door for the Lady Isabel, even though she was his sister. Sir Maxwell gallantly lifted her purchases and carried them into the mighty door that guarded their abode.

-------------------

Max returned and drove Liz to the market. “I will stay here and watch your books. Buy what you think you need. Don’t worry if you forget something someone can take you back. You probably want to get things for breakfast and supper. Most of the time we all eat lunch at the cafeteria at school. Buy some snacks.

----------------

Sir Maxwell would bravely stay and guard her purchases as the princess entered the market place. Food-stuffs were displayed and the princess bought what she thought she would need for the week. She returned with one of the serfs who carried her bags and placed them in the back of the pickup. The serf nodded to Sir Maxwell. They must have some acquaintance with each other.

---------------

As she got back into the pickup, Max said, “Jeremy just reminded me that there is a college rodeo this weekend. Michael, Isabel and I are already entered, but I am sure Maria would enjoy your company in the stands. If you have never seen one, it might be an education,” Max explained.

When they were finally at the house, Liz and Max took her groceries and books in. Max sat the bags of food in the kitchen and carried her books into her bedroom.

After supper, Maria had promised to help Liz set up her Internet account and, also, show her how to access the University. Liz had her schedule and would need to plan what she would need for tomorrow. Max informed her that just before ten o’clock they would all get together to plan the times and places they all needed to attend tomorrow.

After supper, Liz had a surprise for those who had been so nice to help her out the last two days.

------------------

Princess Elizabeth, as soon as the others had finished eating, brought out a crisp apple pie. She, also, had purchased a frozen confection to serve on top of it. The princess served each person a piece and topped it with the frozen delight. Of course, Lady Maria asked for a small piece. But then, the princess noted that she ate off Sir Michael’s plate when she had finished her own. The princess quietly gave Sir Michael a second piece of the pie and confection. The princess made a little speech. “This is in appreciation for the help you all gave me.”

------------------

By the time it was ten o’clock, Liz had arranged her Internet, studied her schedule for the next day and laid out the books she would need. They all met in the living room.

Max started, “I have to stay at school late tomorrow. I won’t be able to leave until about six o’clock tomorrow evening. I will leave here about nine o’clock tomorrow morning.”

Michael was leaning with his arm around Maria, “I have to get out of here early. I have an animal husbandry class at eight o’clock tomorrow morning, but I will be ready to return by about 3:30 in the afternoon.”

Maria said, “If you can make that 4:00, I can ride home with you.”

Max stated, “Isabel already told me she will ride home with me late and Alex states that he will be through by 1:00 tomorrow afternoon.”

Liz was finally understanding, “I could ride to school with Max and, if I could meet Alex I will be through by noon.”

Max was writing everything down. Maria was filling out a form that she would email to Alex and Isabel. Maria also handed Liz a new card which now had all six of their cell phone numbers on it.

--------------------

Princess Elizabeth was amazed at the ease that those around her accommodated her needs. She would be conveyed to the castle grounds and when she was through for the day, they had arranged for her transportation home. This, indeed, was a wonderful situation , not to mention the three knights always giving her so much security.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 3 Mar 24

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
Natalie36
L-J-L 76
Keepsmiling7
Illah

Chapter 4

Liz had set her alarm at seven o’clock. When she got up, she found that Maria hadn’t woken up yet. Liz quickly got her shower and dressed. She found Max already in the kitchen and, of course, Michael being the first one up, had the hot coffee made.

Liz fixed toast and a grapefruit. This, along with the coffee, would serve for her breakfast. About that time, a yawning Maria made her appearance. She went to her refrigerator and poured a glass of orange juice. Still yawning she fixed a bowl of cold cereal. Max stood up. “We need to get out of here by 8:30,” and with that, he returned to his room.

“Hey, Chica, Max said you would go with me to the rodeo Saturday. Rodeo won’t ever be my thing but I sure enjoy seeing that man of mine flexing those muscles and seeing him ride that bull.” then Maria giggled. “Don’t ever tell Michael about this, but sometimes, I cheer for the bull.”

Liz looked at Maria, “I don’t really know what I am getting into, but Max asked me to go. It isn’t anything scary or bloody or anything like that, is it?”

Maria giggled, “I am sure when that bull takes after a cowboy, he is scared, but most of the fans are just laughing. There is a lot of skill. Isabel is a queen on her horse when she is racing around the barrels. If you like beautiful animals and even beautiful animals on four feet, it is fun.” Maria made rolling eye motions as she described the cowboys and the animals they rode.

---------------

The princess retired to her room to prepare for her day. She had been invited to witness a jousting contest. She didn’t usually like this kind of exposition, but her new friends felt that they wanted her at attend. Lady Maria was so explicit as she described the knights who would be showing their prowess in battle.

One invitation was from the knight, Sir Maxwell. The princess wasn’t sure how she felt about this man. He offered her sanctuary at his castle and he offered the safety brought by his friends. She, in a way, owed him, but it was for the princess to consider how much.

-----------------

“Saddle up,” was the call.

Liz grabbed her backpack with her books and hurried into the living room. Max was just sitting there. He pointed to a chair and Liz began to wonder if they were in a hurry, why was he just waiting. They waited almost five minutes when Maria came in huffing and puffing explaining why she was late. Max just hugged her and they all climbed into the pickup. Liz looked at her watch. It was 8:30, exactly the time Max said he wanted to leave. Liz now understood. Max knew how to get Maria there on time.

Maria had started to get into the pickup, but at the last minute she waited holding the door and indicating for Liz to get in first. The three of them were now on the way for the first day of school. For Liz, it was her very first day at college. She was very excited.

----------------

Princess Elizabeth was in her first class. It was the study of life magic. A handsome man sat down beside her. He introduced himself. He was named Prince Douglas. He was from a neighboring kingdom of her father’s. He was attending the college to learn to manage his father’s money. He smiled as her told the princess that this money was a considerable amount. “Princess, would you like to go out with me this Saturday?” he asked.

The princess smiled, but shook her head. I have a previous engagement this weekend, but perhaps the next one.” At first Prince Douglas had pouted. He clearly was used to getting his way. “And where, if I may ask, are you going this Saturday?” he inquired.

------------------

Liz giggled,” I am going with some friends to a rodeo.”

Doug Shallow laughed, “I guess you have to get it out of your system. These dumb cowboys have to prove themselves all the time. I will never understand them. They are an anachronism, a group from ages gone by. I don’t think they ever existed. My father says that they are all created by Hollywood. Maybe, next week, we can arrange something.” The rest of the time when she was in biology class Doug always managed to sit by her, but he always had a chuckle and a dig at cowboys and their foolishness.

Saturday arrived and when Liz got up and showered, Maria was waiting for her. “I think we are close to the same size. Do you have any jeans?” Maria was going through her assortment of shirts. “Try this one. It is a little tight on me, but it might fit you.”

Maria was already dressed. She was wearing skin-tight jeans and a very fancy shirt much like the men wore, complete with snaps. Instead of the shoes she usually wore, Maria was wearing beautifully tooled leather cowboy boots.

Liz got out her designer jeans, with the shirt she had borrowed from Maria she did look nice. She wondered if Max would look at her. Liz shook her head, Max was nice because his sister told him to be. He was just her landlord.

Liz did have some sneakers which Maria said would do, but Liz saw Maria wrinkle up her nose. Lastly, Maria was rummaging in her closet for a hat. It was pretty will beat up. Maria took a wet washcloth and smoothed out the felt of the hat. Taking a hair dryer Maria shaped the hat with the proper curve of he brim. Liz tried it on. It was a little loose but Maria took some Kleenex and stuffed them in the sweat band inside the hat. Now, it fit perfectly.

“Where are the boys?” Liz asked.

Maria worried a set of keys out of her front pocket. “They already left with Alex and Isabel. Michael left me his keys.” Then, Maria had an evil grin. “How about we just go pick up some guys and spend the day laying around the house with them? The boys won’t be back until late.”

The look on Liz’s face was as study. Maria started laughing. “I was just kidding, Liz! If you ever knew the pleasure I have, of running my hands across those muscular shoulders of that cowboy, you would know that I couldn’t ever settle for a town boy.”

Liz smiled. Sometimes it was hard to know when Maria was kidding or not.

----------------

The princess was still shaken up. The very idea of consorting with just any men she picked up, terrified the princess. She had been brought up very strictly. She intended to, someday, find the man of her dreams. Then, she would revel in the delight he would have as she offered him her body. She was having second thoughts about this joust. She had heard that, sometimes, the knights considered the women attending the joust as their prizes for their prowess in battle. Liz hoped she could take care of herself. The cowboys had protected her from the rowdies, but who would protect her from the cowboys. The fantasy was falling apart about here.

---------------------------

Maria was only slightly bigger than Liz. Seeing her behind the wheel of Michael’s pickup was funny. Liz climbed in and Maria ground the gears while getting it going. Maria was making a face as she drove. This was Michael’s pickup. She surly didn’t want anything to happen to it.

Liz didn’t know what to expect when they got there. The most prominent thing she saw was a sea of pickups. There was a dusty arena fenced in by a rail fence. There was a wooden construction. Liz couldn’t make much of it from where she was, but that seemed to be where everything started. As they walked up, they were having the calf roping. At first to Liz, it didn’t make much sense. Maria pointed out, “Half of what they do is done by the horse. The rider is concentrating on swinging his rope and it is the horse who puts himself in position for the rider to catch the bovine. When caught it is the horse who kept the rope tight so the rider can tie the animal. Michael says that a good roper is a real help when they are branding and moving cows.”

Liz wasn’t yet sure of anything, but the crowds were all cheering. Next event was team roping. To her surprise, she saw Isabel riding “hell bent for leather” as she caught the calf very close to the gate, which Liz had figured out was what the wooden construction was called. Once Isabel had secured the calf by the neck, her horse danced around until Alex, right behind Isabel, could get a rope around the calf’s hind legs. The horses held the calf immobile until the judges waved that the cast was acceptable.

“That is how Isabel met Alex,” Maria said, “Her previous partner had missed all the throws he had tried that day. Later, Isabel found him drunk with another girl. She ran both of them out of the dorm with her coiled rope. They didn’t even have a chance to get their clothes back on.”

Liz had to smile at the thought. She really didn’t comprehend the intensity of Isabel’s feelings, but if Isabel was also going with her partner as a love interest, then he had made a capital mistake.

“Anyway,” Maria continued, “Alex tried out with Isabel and they have been together ever since.”

Later when they had the bronc riding, Liz was wondering if maybe Doug was right. Rider after rider went into the dirt. Maria whispered, “The saddle bronc contest is next and this is where Alex is great.”

The girls watched until it was announced that the next rider was Alex Whitman from Roswell, New Mexico. Alex had almost perfect balance. As the horse bucked, Alex just sat up on him. When the buzzer rang a man on another horse rode beside them. Alex, light as a cat, swung behind the other rider and came to rest on the ground. He retrieved his hat and went to the sidelines to await the score.

Alex made it look so easy, but watching so many boys thrown off after him, gave Liz a true picture of how difficult it was.

They broke for lunch and the three cowboys and one cowgirl all came to meet their friends. There was barbeque, chili, corn dogs, corn on a cob …it was a carnival atmosphere. Alex was through for the day so he would sit with the girls, but Isabel still had the barrel racing. Both Max and Michael had bull dogging and bull riding left.

---------------------

The cart men were serving all sorts of delicacies. The princess and her friends went from cart to cart eating a bit of each presentation. Sir Alex was chagrined that his performance had not been perfect. He had not brought honor to his lady.

----------------------

Alex had been just a little off in his timing. It had cost them. Isabel wasn’t mad because she believed he had done the best he could. There had been other times when it had been Isabel who was off. Rodeo took luck and skill, a lot of luck and, for that matter, a lot of skill. In rodeo, you kept you skills up and waited for that moment of luck to make your day. Alex was pretty sure he had first place in saddle bronc riding. Breaking broncs was how he spent most of his summer. Broncs broken in by Alex never became mean or were skittish (Jumpy or scared of things). He had a great reputation.

Michael and Max had slips with the names of the bulls they had drawn. Michael looked glum. The name of his bull was “Peaches.” No one this season had ridden Peaches.

Max’s bull had the name “WidowMaker.” It seemed that every season and in every herd, there was a “WidowMaker.” This one was a predictable bull. He would put on a good show and that is what makes points. “WidowMaker” would hook to the left, with his horns, almost every jump. The rider just had to be careful to expect that. He was a good bull, just not spectacular.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 4 Mar 31

Post by ken_r »

Natalie36
Lilah
Begonia9508
L-J-L 76

Sorry for taking so long in posting. Carole and I have been very sick this last 4 weeks. The story “Liz Come Back” is a fast moving story so we put our effort into making the posts for it. Personally I like this story much better. It is the reason I started writing.

Yes Widowmaker is in almost every rodeo. Many times they also take a really mean bull and try to give him a name that is sweet to hide his true character. My students were mostly bull riders when I was teaching. It is interesting to study both the riders and the bulls. I wrote a story Liz of the Desert where bull riders and the bulls were compared to life. I am not particularly a fan of bull riding but it is interesting to watch occasionally. I hope I bring back good memories. Lissa, Max and Liz have a lot of getting to know each other before anything happens. Liz has to grow a lot.

Chapter 5

The first event, that afternoon, was the barrel racing. The idea was to race out of the gate toward three barrels. The horse must round each barrel in a clover leaf and return to the gate. The girls were good, the horses were good, so the times were very close. If a rider was unbalanced, the horse would make less speed and, thus, not get as good of a score. The game was mainly to wait until someone messed up. The pressure was hard on both horse and rider.

When it was her turn, Isabel came out of the gate on a dead run. Her little mare was running so close that the barrels almost tilted because of the wind as she ran by. Her time was good. Every one cheered as she ran by leaning against the mare’s neck whispering encouragements. There was no taste of the whip for a horse trained by Alex. There were five other girls, who were just as good left to try. Isabel did her best. She rubbed down her mare and placed her in a pen to be trailered to the stable where they were kept while the group was in school.

When Isabel returned, it was to the news that she was first. She smiled. Isabel did the best she could and the rest was luck.

Bull dogging was next. Liz couldn’t understand, this at all. “When grown cows are encountered on the range, it sometimes was necessary to catch them. If they had horns this was a way when they might be too strong for a rope. It is more a show than useful,” Alex explained.

When Liz saw Michael come riding right behind a steer, another man riding beside the steer called the hazer, rode on the other side of the steer forcing the steer toward Michael. Michael leaned off of his horse and, catching the steer by the horns, Michael came off on the ground. He hit the ground digging his heels into the soft turf. Reaching one hand under the steers head, Michael twisted its neck until it fell. The judges made their decision and Michael let up and the steer ran off. Now Liz was sure Doug was right. Michael, the man who had rescued her so easily was totally insane. When Liz saw Max do the same thing, she was sure of it. They both were limping when they walked back to the gates. During the rest of the event Liz watched from between her fingers as she covered her face.

-----------------

Some of the events were not proper for the eyes of a princess. Princess Elizabeth tried to be a sport, but much of the time, she covered her face with her hands.

----------------

The last event was the bull riding. Liz, Isabel, Alex and Maria were all now down by the fence. When the first rider came out and within three seconds he was flying through the air, Liz had her heart completely in her throat. As the bull ran right past them after he had rid himself of that troublesome rider, Liz marveled at his size.

-----------------

The princess was standing at the joust. They weren’t fighting each other now, but they were tackling monsters without weapons. The monsters thundered when they ran by. The princess was amazed that the men looked so small when they were perched on the monster. Even when the men got off the monster, it still would chase them and, sometimes it would try to trample the men. The princess noticed that no one left the arena without limping. Occasionally, the monster would let out a bellow. The princess could swear that flames were shooting out of its mouth. This was the most terrifying sight at all. Liz ran from the arena to the pickup without breaking the fantasy. She was terrified.

------------------

That night, all five of them were in the living room. Liz was in her bedroom. She wasn’t even sure she would be welcome in the living room. Well, she couldn’t very well spend the rest of the semester in her bedroom. Finally, she came in. She was a little frightened as to how they would accept her. When she entered, Michael called out, “She’s back!” He had a bucket of fried chicken and he brought it over to her. The whole room smelled of liniment. All three men were limping. Of course, Alex was limping the least. He had undertaken events where he felt a little more secure.

Liz looked into the laughing face of Michael. He was in a jovial mood. Maria was sitting beside him. On the table was a stack of money. Beside the money was a bright shinny buckle. The silver buckle had a golden bull that was hanging out, his rear end high in the air. Liz looked around and Maria exclaimed, “Michael rode ‘Peaches!”’

Michael took the buckle. “I am going to have it engraved, ‘there never was a bull that couldn’t be rode.’”

Isabel, from the other side of the , said, “What about the rest of that saying? ‘There never was a rider that couldn’t be throwed.’”

Michael just smirked back at her, “there won’t be room for that part.”

Max was just shaking his head, “That bull twisted, turned and humped. I have never seen the like in a bull. Ole Mike just stayed on him, even after the buzzer. I never saw the like.”

Isabel frowned, “Yeah, Michael why did you stay past the buzzer?”

Michael looked sheepish. “My glove got stuck. I didn’t want to get dragged so I had to stay on until I could get the glove loose.”

Liz didn’t completely understand this, but the rest of them were bent over laughing. It seemed that Michael had to stay on the bull until he could get his hand free or risk being dragged by the beast if he was thrown off with his hand stuck. Desperation had made Michael into tonight’s champion.

The next Monday, the first thing Doug asked as he sat down by Liz was, “How was the rodeo?”

Liz was laughing and crying at the same time. “It was the most intense thing I have ever seen. The people at my apartment all made some prize, but they did things I didn’t think a man or woman could do.”

Doug chuckled. “See, I told you. Cowboys are crazy. I can make more in a night at the casino than they can all season in rodeo. When I go home afterwards I do not have any broken bones to set.”

“I do not know. Those men are awfully brave,” Liz stated.

“Liz, my father buys brave men. What counts is being clever. Are we still on next Saturday night?” Doug asked.

Something worried Liz, but she nodded. Doug was probably more like the men that Liz had known back east.

The next week went much like the last one. Every night at ten o’clock, Max would call every one together and work out the next day’s schedule. Liz was amazed at how, between the three of them Max, Michael or Alex, someone could always be there to take the girls to or from the campus. Liz made a statement. “I have a date for Saturday night.” She watched to see how they took it.

Max turned to her. “About what time will you leave?”

Liz answered, “Doug said he would be by for me about eight o’clock in the evening.”

Max made a notation. “You have your key and cell phone so I hope you have a good time.”

For some reason, Liz felt disappointed. She didn’t know what she was expecting, but that the only thing that was said was, ‘to have a good time,’ seemed to lack whatever she was searching for. Yes, she had her cell phone which played, Leonard Bernstein's “New York, New York.” She should be just fine.

Doug stopped by the house address that Liz had given him. He was met by one of the cowboys. Doug looked down at the cowboy, but he couldn’t help but feel that the cowboy was laughing at him. Michael called out, “Liz, your date is here.” Then, Michael disappeared. Doug sat in the living room for just a minute or so. Liz came out. She was wearing a beautiful dress, medium heels and a shawl thrown around her shoulders.

Doug took her to a fine restaurant and, then, he said, “Liz, there is a party at the Sigma fraternity house. Do you want to go?”

That was the last thing Liz really wanted, but this was the first date she had had since she arrived at college. She guessed that if she was careful, it would be all right.

The Sigma party was more or less open to anyone who knew someone to vouch for them. Isabel was close friends with a Tri Delta girl, so Isabel had received an invitation. Isabel just enjoyed being seen.

Doug and Liz were standing with a group talking about music. Everyone looked up as Alex and Isabel entered. Alex was dressed in a western dress suit and was wearing ostrich boots. Izzy was dressed in a low backed dress opened almost to her waist. Her blond hair had highlights added along with some of that sparkling stuff. Her cream skin set off the dark blue dress. She was a knockout.

Doug looked along with every other male in the room. He put his drink down, “I am going to have some fun with a cowboy.”

Liz started to say something, but by that time, Doug was gone, leaving her with the collection of his friends.

Alex and Isabel were proceeding to the dance floor. The fraternity had a live band and Isabel said she wanted to dance.

Just as they got to the dance floor, a hand fell about Isabel’s shoulders. “Hey baby, let me show you a turn about the dance floor.” Doug, then, tried to kiss her.

Doug felt a hand on his shoulder and he tried to shake it off. “Don’t ever come sniffing around the brands of another man’s corral unless you can back it up,” Alex said in a slow drawl.

Doug frowned, this cad didn’t even play fair. To Doug’s mind, the cowboy should have let the better man conduct his girl around the dance floor. Doug was sure, given that time, he could have made some kind of later meeting with the lady. After all, Doug had never met a girl that he couldn’t have at least, briefly.

Doug returned to where he had left Liz and his other friends. “The gall of that cad. I was offering to give his girl a dance around the floor and he the same as told me, to shove off. I couldn’t really understand what he said but I think that is what he meant. He was going to start a fight over just me asking his girl for a dance. For two cents, I would bounce his ass out of the house.”

Liz just looked at Doug, “You couldn’t have done it.”

Doug looked at her and asked, “Why?”

“I saw Alex lift a football lineman by the shirt, so high that his feet were barely touching the ground, using only one hand. He is a saddle bronc rider and he is very strong.”

Doug looked at her, “Since when do you know so much about cowboys?”

“Doug, I told you. The three other people that live at my rooming house are all cowboys or their girlfriends. Isabel is the sister of my landlord.”

Liz worried about what Doug would want on this first date. She wasn’t sure how she felt about him. That was a cheep trick he tried to pull on Alex. Liz knew that Doug didn’t like the people of the southwest. He had made that clear many times as they sat in class. Her question was, did she have more in common with Doug than she had with the people with whom she was rooming?

When he returned her to the door, Doug kissed her hand and then, taking her face in both his hands he briefly kissed her lips. “Until we can go on another date,” he stated.

Liz went into the house. She was unsure of how she felt. Max had left a night light on so she could see her way to the bathroom and to her bedroom. Nothing was ever said by Alex or by Isabel about how Doug had behaved.

--------------

The princess had consented to date the prince of the neighboring kingdom. She was sure that he would be the kind of man her father would want her to be seen with. The night had been fun, she guessed, until at the dance later. The prince had behaved very boorishly. He had tried to make fun of a knight and his lady. The knight had backed the prince down before everyone. The princess was sure that wasn’t the way a prince should act.

--------------

The next week, Liz was informed that she needed to attend a lecture, Wednesday night, on the biology of southwestern wildlife. Monday night she brought it up at the ten o’clock meeting. Max was scheduling everyone for tomorrow, Tuesday, but he looked at his schedule and said, “I can take you.”

Liz quickly said, “If you want, I can ask my date from last week to take me. His is in that class and has to attend, also.”

Max shrugged, “Just let me know tomorrow so I can make my plans.”

At class the next day, as usual, Doug was sitting beside her, “Doug could you come by and pick me up tomorrow night? I do not want to have to ask one of the other guys there to bring me.”

Doug laughed a little, “What is wrong, Liz? Are you scared of a little dark? You can just meet me at the Student Union building and I will sit with you during the lecture.”

This wasn’t what Liz wanted, but she didn’t want to admit to the others that Doug had refused to pick her up, either.

That night, she simply said, “I have arranged to meet Doug, tomorrow.” Liz was sure that Alex or, at least Isabel, had said something to the others about Doug’s behavior the other night. Liz was almost taking his shame on herself. She didn’t want to admit that her choice of date wasn’t adequate.

That Wednesday, Michael and Maria were gone way before dark. Maria had a concert that she wanted to attend. Liz had no idea of what Alex and Isabel were doing. Max had hung around until almost Seven o’clock. “Are you sure you are going to be all right Liz?” he asked. With the nod of her head, Max headed out to the library to do some research.

At about 7:30, Liz decided that she couldn’t wait any longer. The sky was still bright, but the ground was dark. Liz walked to the traffic stop and crossing light. She hurried across the six lanes of traffic and, then, started the long walk to the Student Union Building. There were dark patches and …

---------------

The princess was forced to cross the demon lands. It was a punishment, although she didn’t remember what the punishment was for. Maybe, it was a punishment for choosing a weak escort last weekend. There were bright patches where she was sure the power of light still prevailed. But, there, also, were so many dark places where evil dragons and demons could be waiting.

It was so much further walking than she had remembered when traveling in a carriage. She was, finally, at the palace and she met the prince. He kissed her briefly and they went into the auditorium to hear the learned wizards tell of remarkable things.

---------------

The lecture lasted until almost eleven o’clock. Doug insisted she accompany him to the cafeteria for a late night snack. Liz was worried about returning to her rooming house. When they, finally, parted company, Doug kissed her briefly, again, and told her he would see her tomorrow. He made no offer to walk her across campus or even to worry about her safety.

Again the princess had to run the gauntlet of the demons. There were even fewer lights because` many of the magic vehicles that she had seen earlier were no longer present. The princess could hear her footsteps echoing as she walked down the streets. She had to pass a dark place and, as she neared, she felt the presence of all sorts of demons. The Princess was sure that they wanted to jump out and grab her as she neared them.

When one mysterious dark hole had been passed, then, the Princess had to consider the next one coming up. The princess was practically running now. The princess thought, in her father’s kingdom, she would have found a guardian on every corner. Here, in this desolation there was no one at all, neither good nor evil. There was just no one to turn to. She couldn’t even offer to sell her soul. If even the devil is not present, where did she turn?

The princess heard a roar. Behind her she felt a light or, at least she saw the light spilling, around her. The princess had no intention of turning around and looking. She, now, was running in panic. Then the light was beside her. She was doomed. The princess Elizabeth was going to die.

--------------

“Liz, Liz wait! It is me, Max. What the hell are you doing out here?”

----------------

The princess stopped. If it wasn’t a friend, she was going to die for sure. She was not willing to die. She couldn’t stand to run any more; she was exhausted. Liz felt strong arms around her. She wouldn’t open her eyes. She didn’t want to see his monstrous face as he started to devour her.

---------------------

It was the smell of his old spice deodorant; the smell of sweat and the faint odor the barnyard from his boots that brought Liz back to earth. She opened her eyes and saw Max. She was safe. Liz threw her arms around him. Liz had been found, by her knight.

As they drove home, Liz kept saying how frightened she had been walking though the dark campus. “Liz,” Max said, “I sometimes get afraid walking across the campus at night. That is why we have the agreement to escort you girls when you have to attend something. What happened to your date? I thought he was going to come and get you and bring you back.”

Liz didn’t let go of Max until they were back in their house.

Two days later, it was Friday. Monday, Wednesday and Friday were biology days. Liz was sitting in her seat when Doug came in. “Well, I see you made it home okay,” he said.

Liz gave him a look that could kill. “No thanks to you! Max came looking for me. He was worried about me a lot more than you were.”

Doug laughed, “You would compare me to that two-bit cowboy. Liz, you have to be kidding.”

Liz looked the other way, “Yes, I am kidding. Max is a man and you aren’t even a steer, as the cowboys say.” (a steer is a castrated bull)

-----------------------

The prince just looked at the princess. She had just told him that he was a coward. Well, the words she said meant worse. If she had been a man, then he could have demanded satisfaction, except for the fact that he knew what she said was true. He was, essentially, a coward and he was going to inherit his father’s kingdom.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 5 pg3 april 14

Post by ken_r »

Lillah
Natalie36
L-J-L 76
Begonia9508

Chapter 6

Things went well with the schedule that Max set up every day. Liz had found a place where she could study and she had made friends. When she had anything after hours back on campus, one of the three men would take her and bring her home. A few times, she walked home alone, but they were always in the daytime. It didn’t seem possible, but thanksgiving was coming up. Liz wouldn’t go home for thanksgiving, but she would return for Christmas and winter break.

Isabel had come over that Saturday morning. She was sipping coffee and talking to Max, Maria, and Michael. They were talking about returning to Roswell. Liz hadn’t said anything. They were talking about something that concerned their past. This was something Liz had nothing to do with.

Isabel looked at Max and he looked away. Isabel frowned, “Liz, what are your plans this Thanksgiving?”

Liz looked away, also. “I guess I will just stay around the house. There isn’t anyplace I want to go.”

Isabel was glaring at Max, now. She would talk to him later. Last night, Isabel had suggested that Max invite Liz to Roswell for Thanksgiving. Obviously, he hadn’t done it. “Liz, why don’t you go to Roswell with all of us? Four days and this place will seem like a tomb. You can ride with Max and he won’t have to drive alone. You can stay with me and it will be fun. I will call mom and tell her we are having company for Thanksgiving.”

Liz looked at Max and he gave a half smile. “Yeah, you can see more of the desolate southwest.”

----------

It was settled. The three knights and the two ladies were to return to their own kingdoms. They would take the princess with them. Princess Elizabeth would be an emissary from her father’s kingdom in the east. The Princess Elizabeth would travel through the ravaged country where no one lived. She would be protected from demons and raiding orcs by the knight. She would stay at his castle with his sister. There would be no cause for worry. Her virtue would be protected.

--------------

They crossed the desert through the White Sands National Monument. Liz saw the acres and acres of white. She could well imagine that it was snow except that the weather was warm. Max stopped for a minute and allowed her to play in the gypsum sand. It had piled up into high dunes. Liz just couldn’t get over the sight.

--------------

The warm snow was amazing. It was dry so, you couldn’t mould it, but you could slide on it just like you could at her father’s castle. The Knight pointed to mountains of tremendous height. They would cross them next. The Princess could only hope there would be no orcs.

----------------------

They climbed the mountains east of the town, Almagordo. It was some sight as she could look back from the heights and see the vast expanse of white sand. Soon, they were high in the mountains. They drove for several hours until they were on the other side. Then they were back on a plain. Roswell was a medium-sized city, which meant small by Liz’s standards. The ranch was outside the city. By the time they arrived, Isabel had been home for some time and she had a place fixed for Liz right next to her room.

---------------

Queen Diane, was gracious to the princess. Princess Elizabeth curtsied before the reigning monarch to show that she had been properly raised. The lady Isabel showed the princess to her room. It was every bit as nice as that of the lady’s own. King Philip was a towering man. When he came in that night you could hear his booming voice.

----------------

“Max, when can you get that damned Alex over here? I have that colt that needs to be broke and he will bring several thousand dollars, if he is broke right. See if you can’t get that scalawag to get his butt over here to at least start,” Philip Evans was talking to his son.

Max shrugged, “The best way to get Alex here is for Izzy to tell him that Mom is making berry pie. He will do a lot more for berry pie than the hundred bucks or so you are offering him.”

Isabel took Liz by the hand. “Daddy, this is a friend of ours. She has never been on a ranch before. I don’t even think she has been out west before.”

Philip towered above Liz so much that she was a bit afraid.

------------------

King Philip turned out to be as gracious as anyone else Liz had met. He pressed her hand to his lips and murmured endearments for her to return to her father in the east. Soon, Liz was at ease in his presence. He was mostly concerned with a quest he wanted Sir Alex to undertake.

Shortly, there was a call from the offices of the queen. The royal meal was served.

------------------

There were large thick steaks. Isabel leaned towards Liz and asked how she liked her steak cooked.

Liz answered, “Medium, but I would like a smaller one please.”

Isabel took one steak and cut it in half. She shared it with Liz. Liz was presented with farm vegetables and other things that were mostly preserved on the ranch.

Liz noticed that Max took two of the huge steaks and double helping of potatoes. Isabel was a lighter eater, but she ate more than Liz was accustomed to.

----------------

The repast over, they all retired to the family room. Here the princess was asked to give news of her kingdom and tell of her travels to the castle of education.

In kind, the family of King Philip explained their…

-----------------

… ranch is mainly for raising calves. We turn most of them over to other places in the north, but with our milder weather, we can bring more stock past the first year than other places. After dinner tomorrow, you need to get Max to show you ‘round the place, ya’ hear. You ride?”

Liz took this to mean on a horse and she shook her head, no.

---------------

The princess was invited to tour the estate of her host. She had never ridden a steed and that was the method of transportation they offered.

-----------------

“Come on, Liz, it will be fun. We will fix you with old Toby. He’s the most gentle animal we have. Alex is coming over tomorrow afternoon and daddy wants me out of the house. Seems, he thinks I distract Alex. Daddy wants him to get started on breaking that colt. Daddy has a buyer and he doesn’t want to loose the money. Alex and I will have tomorrow night so I will go with you tomorrow,” Isabel explained.

Liz just looked at Isabel, “Do you name your horses like you name the bulls? I remember ‘Peaches,’ had never been ridden.”

That brought mirth to the whole table.

“I heard that old Mike rode ‘Peaches’ last month,” Philip said.

Max just shook his head, “in a manner of speaking.” Then, Max and Isabel told of Michael getting stuck on the bull and having to ride him until he could get loose.

-------------------

After dinner, Sir Maxwell asked if he could conduct the royal princess about the castle grounds. The princess nodded her permission and they proceeded outside.

Once outside the princess clung to the knight’s arm. The world was totally dark. The princess had never seen a world where there weren’t signs of virtue somewhere. She looked up and held on to the prince even tighter. There were fairies and sprites filling the sky. The princess had seen the stars and other night spirit’s homes at her father’s realm, but here the sprites were dancing in the air. There were so many of them. The princess had heard of the path of milk, but she always thought it only a myth told to children. Here, the path was clearly etched across the sky.

The princess saw far in the distance, lights that must be dragons about some king’s business. She, of course, had seen them many times before, but they had been much closer. Here, you could see so clearly, so far that it was frightening. There were some streaks across the sky. The princess was sure these must be flying demons.

--------------------

Max pointed out the shooting stars and explained that they were meteors entering the atmosphere. Then, Liz heard, “Yip, yip, howeeeol.”

--------------------

The princess didn’t care what explanation the knight gave for it, she was sure that she had heard the banshee that her ancestors had told stories about. No, there was no explanation or words that the knight could give….

-------------------

The coyote howled to its fellows that it was well and looking for food or a companion, which ever came first. Yes, Liz admitted that the sky and the landscape was beautiful at night, but it also was very scary for a girl who never had been that far from a subway or a deli.

Liz didn’t quit shaking until she was back in the warmth of the house. Isabel led her to their rooms. Liz was dressed for bed when Isabel knocked on the door. “Liz, may I come in.”

Izzy entered, also wearing her sleeping gown and a house coat over it. Izzy sat on the bed. “What did you think of our ranch at night?”

Liz tried to laugh, “For someone not used this, it is pretty scary.”

Isabel chuckled. “I imagine that I would be terrified with so many people back at your home. It is just that we are so close to nature here that I can’t imagine being away from it for very long.”

“When I was flying over New Mexico, it was just so desolate. The man riding beside me said the same thing. He just was so glad to get away from people,” Liz remembered as she told Isabel.

“Oh, well, tomorrow we will show you the land. It will be safe and Max and I will be right with you. I wish Alex wasn’t into that deal with daddy. He could go with us. Maybe, Maria and Michael can come out. Then, we could go out and make a fire and Maria would sing real cowboy songs,” Isabel said.

------------------

The lady Isabel had just left. The princess was now alone in her room. As she turned out the lights, she could hear the crying of the banshees. There were so many other night noises. She was looking out her window and she could swear that something blanked out the stars for a brief minute. She heard something scurry across the roof. The kingdom of her father was so much quieter. There might be street noises, honking of trumpets that the carriages used and warning sirens, but there, she could explain all the noises. Here, they were all strange and thus caused by demons and monsters.

---------------------------
Stories by Ken
Liz Come back is Canon and occurs after "Graduation." Liz is captured and held for a year in the "white room."

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 6 pg3 april 23

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
Keepsmiling7
Lillah
Natalie36
L-J-L 76
Michelle of Yonkers

Chapter 7

When she lay down, Liz was sure she wouldn’t sleep a wink. Suddenly, she opened her eyes. The sun was streaming into the room. She heard noises of movement in the room next door. There was a knock at her door. Liz clutched the bed clothes to her bosom as she said, ”Come in.”

Isabel stuck her head in, “I just wanted to tell you that the shower is vacant.” With that, Izzy left to finish dressing.

Liz showered and was looking at what she would wear today. Maria had told her to bring several pair of slacks and jeans and to, also, bring a nice dress. Today, they would have Thanksgiving dinner. Then, she was promised or, maybe, threatened with a tour of the ranch. Liz dressed for comfort.

When she came into the kitchen, she saw Diane in a blouse and skirt. She was wearing Nike shoes. Isabel came in. She was wearing a sweater and jeans, but they were nothing like the tight ones that Liz had seen on Maria at the rodeo. When Max and his dad came in, they were dressed very much like they dressed every day, Levis, snap shirt and the ever present boots. There was a stack of pancakes and some scrambled eggs, along with a pile of bacon. As Liz sat, Diane looked at her with a question, holding the coffee pot. Liz nodded and she was poured a steaming cup of the liquid. There was cream and sugar on the table along with a small bowl of Equal sugar substitute.

Max and his father both drank a steaming cup almost without a stop. Diane was right there with her coffee pot to refill their cups. The men set to eating immediately. Liz was astonished at how much Max put away. At school, he was like the rest of them with only a small plate of eggs or, maybe, just a piece of toast.

It was just a few minutes when both men were up and taking their ever-present hats from the rack at the door, they were out heading for the morning chores.

Isabel followed shortly with a slight smile at Liz. You can stay with Mama this morning and, later, I will show you around the barnyard.

Diane, looked at Liz. “Have you ever fixed a turkey?” she asked.

Liz shook her head. Her parents usually bought one already cooked from the deli.

“Well, there’s no time like the present.” She led Liz back into the kitchen and proceeded to bring out a thawing bird.

They brought out the pans, cut the vegetables, stuffed the turkey and finally put the whole thing into the oven. Liz had lost track of time as she helped Diane. Diane, now that every immediate thing was taken care of, led Liz into a small room. There were several chairs and some low tables in the parlor. “Liz, do you take tea?” Diane asked.

Again, Liz nodded and Diane brought a steaming kettle of water and poured it over the tea in the small pot sitting on one of the tables. The two women were talking as Diane tended the brewing.

“What is your major, Liz?” Diane asked.

“Biology, I might teach or I might like to do research,” Liz answered.

“That is good. Teaching is always needed and I always thought research would be something magical. Max wants to better our herd and that is what he is studying. Now, Isabel wants to branch out. She wants something in graphic design. I don’t know how that is going to go down if she remains with that boy, Alex. Now don’t get me wrong, Alex is a gem. He takes care of Izzy and all, but he is bound to be tied to his father’s horse ranch.” Diane seemed to revel in the chance to converse with another women who she hadn’t said all that she knew, several times before.

“Do you like being a rancher’s wife?” Liz asked.

“Oh honey, course I do, but you know with the kids in college and all, Philip is trying to get me to set aside some time and go back to writing. I just want something to do, that is mine,” Diane explained.

Isabel soon came in form the yard. She poured herself a cup of tea and sat down. “Did Mama teach you everything about baking turkey?” she asked Liz.

Liz giggled. “Yes, I guess we got it started. I just hope I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Diane injected, “Honey, that is one thing about cooking for a ranch. Even if you make mistakes, they will eat it so fast that they will seldom ever know.”

The women laughing went back to the kitchen to finish the details of the meal.

-----------------

The princess was instructed, by Queen Diane, as to the management of the kitchen. She was shown how to check on the preparation of the bird. The queen showed her the proper preparation of vegetables. Once the meal was well started, they retired to tea. Lady Isabel soon returned and the princess and Lady Isabel were setting the table and helping the queen

Of the men who normally cared for the castle, most of them had returned to their parent’s homes or in some cases the homes of their wive’s parents. There would be one or two of the caretakers who would take repast with the king and queen because they had no other family.

Soon after dinner, Sir Alex appeared. The king met him and dismissed Isabel..

---------------------

“Isabel, you and Max take Liz out riding and let me get Alex going,” Philip bellowed.

Isabel kissed Alex on the cheek. Then, catching Liz’s arm, she lead her outside. Outside where Liz had felt so frightened the night before, the clear air made the sky crystal blue. Liz had to admit that it was beautiful. Max was at the corral. He had already rigged the bridle and saddle on old Toby.

Isabel led Liz up to the horse, She took Liz’s hand and made her hand stroke the muzzle of the animal. Liz couldn’t imagine something being that soft and sensitive. Liz wasn’t very tall, so she couldn’t scratch Toby’s ears, which was a thing he particularly enjoyed. Max led Liz to the left side of the horse and the stirrups were way too high. Max told her to reach as high as she could and grab the saddle horn as soon as she could.

Liz felt strong hands about her waist and, suddenly she felt her self being lifted. She made a grab for the saddle like Max told her to and Liz was sitting on a horse. She was almost afraid to look down, it was so far. Max adjusted the stirrups. They were riding western style and that was much different from the time Liz had been taken riding back in New York.

Isabel took her reins and, grabbing the saddle horn, she vaulted herself into the saddle. Max came out carrying a rifle. He placed it in a scabbard on the right side of his saddle and said nothing, as if this was just normal. His handsome sorrel quarter horse was ready. It had a white blaze across its face.

--------------------

They were on tour of the enchanted lands. The princess was sure that Lady Isabel was some sort of a sorceresses. It was she and the strong arm of Sir Maxwell, which protected them as they traveled through the empty lands. At her father’s kingdom, there would be caretakers at every corner. But, here there weren’t even any paths. They were just crossing the desolated lands, seeing no one. There was beauty, but the princess remembered that beauty was a lure to the unwary to call them to their doom.

The horse that Sir Maxwell rode upon was an energetic beast. He danced and it was only by the skill of the stalwart knight, that Sir Maxwell was not unseated. Lady Isabel also had a beast who, also, was a handful, but she didn’t seem to mind. The beast,Toby was gentle maybe he was just walking dead. The princess wasn’t sure. There were places where they had to ride single file. With Sir Maxwell leading and Lady Isabel bringing up the rear, a very unsubtle slap of the reins on his posterior by Lady Isabel kept Toby from, finally, joining the walking dead. Princess Elizabeth was sure if Toby hadn’t already lost his soul, that it was only Isabel and her reminders that kept the soul intact.

The royal couple were taking the princess through beautiful country.

They saw some prong horns, that goat-antelope creature only known to the west. There was a dog in the distance that Max pointed out was probably the coyote that was singing last night. Liz just didn’t understand their labeling that noise singing.

They only rode a couple hours. When they returned, Liz prepared to get off. Both Max and Isabel shouted for her to wait. When Max was, again, behind her and as she dismounted, his hands were supporting her waist. She felt ground beneath her feet, but that was all she felt because her legs had turned to rubber. Max was supporting Liz until the circulation had returned. Soon, she felt a lot of pain, but she could walk and Max quit tending to her so closely. Liz had survived her first horseback ride.

That night, Liz was confronted with some sort of burgers. They had all sorts of spices and they were served on a bun with relish. It was Thanksgiving and the house was filled with the smell and leftovers of turkey. That was probably the origin of many meals, for several more days. They, also had company, Alex. Alex had cared for Philip’s colt all afternoon. Now, he wanted to shed some care on Philip’s daughter.

This perplexed Liz. Her father would barely speak to a boyfriend if she brought one around. Here, Isabel’s parents knew about her living with Alex at school. They were in agreement with her being with him, even in their house.

It was later when Liz and Diane were alone talking, waiting for the others to come in from chores, that Diane explained. “Real good soulmates are rare. Most young people spend their lifetimes without ever finding one. When you find your soulmate when you are young then you have to make sacrifices and arrange your life not to lose them. A parent should never stand in the way of a soulmate.”

-----------------------

That night as the princess lay in her bed listening to the music of the southwest, she was thinking. Her father had told one young man that he didn’t want anyone messing with his little girl. Maybe, that was the difference. These royal children had been doing an adult’s work for many years. Maybe, the king and queen thought of them as grown.

---------------

Morning, shower, dressed and up. Breakfast was pancakes made by adding flour to the mashed potatoes of yesterday, a little baking powder, with maybe, an egg or two to hold it together. There it was a potato pancake ranch style.

Walking wasn’t quite as easy as normal this morning. Liz went with Isabel as she called in the cows. While waiting for them to get to the barn, she took some grain and scattered ut to the chickens. She, also threw them the garbage that Diane had handed her. There was very little waste around a ranch.

With several of the families who worked on the farm gone, it was left to Isabel and Max to go back to doing some of he chores. There were two milk cows who produced enough milk for the families who lived on the ranch. Now, Isabel would milk both of them and the milk would be kept in a refrigerator until all the families returned. Isabel handed Liz a basket and explained where the chickens made their nests. Liz was set to looking for them. Liz got all the eggs except for one nest. The hen wouldn’t leave it. Isabel laughed. “Liz you wouldn’t want to steal a family away from its mother would you?” Izzy was sure, yesterday that this hen was setting trying to hatch, even though the time of year wasn’t good for baby chicks.

Liz was sore all day. Isabel kept her moving so she wouldn’t stiffen up. Maria called and wanted for all of them to go dancing. That was the last thing Liz wanted, but she was determined to be a good sport. About 2:00 in the afternoon, Isabel caught Liz. She placed some bath salts in a hot tub of water and she told Liz to simply soak in the bathtub.

The hot water felt so good that Liz was almost asleep. The pain was disappearing as the warm salts caused the circulation to speed up. Diane was finishing up laundry and as Max walked by, she piled him with a stack of washcloths for the bathroom upstairs. Max was in a hurry. He had to find one of their horses who had not come in this morning. The cayuse was an ornery critter, known to want its own way.

Max, usually, did what his mother wanted and this would only take a minute. Max took the stairs two at a time. He walked down to the bathroom. The door was pulled partly closed, but it wasn’t shut. Max was in a hurry. He quietly opened the door and was putting the wash cloths on the shelf. There was something wrong. Isabel usually used this bathroom and it had the smells of her bath fragrances. Max looked more closely at the bathtub. There, with her eyes closed lay Liz. The water was swirling about her body. Max almost lost his breath. She was so beautiful. She would be so furious if she woke up. Max quickly placed the washcloths on the shelf and just as quickly moved to the door. He quietly closed the door and bumped into Isabel. She was frowning. She grabbed his arm and marched him down the hall.

“Max, what were you doing?” Isabel angrily asked him.

“Iz, I was just putting washcloths on the shelf for mom. The door wasn’t shut and I just went in. Don’t say anything to her, please,” Max pleaded.

Max hurried to the corral. Here was something that he understood. Woe to that poor horse when Max found him.

-----------------

The princess was led to the baths. The fragrance was enchanting. She settled into the warm envelope as it penetrated her whole body. The magic potions were working miracles. The princess was dreaming. She hadn’t had these dreams in years. They were of a man coming in and taking her up in his arms. She was always naked and, for some reason, she never felt any discomfort. In fact, she only delighted that he found the vision of her body so pleasing. That she had found him, made her decide to forego anything from her daddy’s realm. The Princess Elizabeth was going to go to a whole new life.

---------------

Liz didn’t know what happened but she surely felt better after her soak. Now she knew why Maria had insisted that she bring a nice dress. With Isabel’s help, Liz was ready by they time Max had said that they should go. Alex had arrived after going home and removing the sweat and horse manure off his body. He was wearing the suit he had worn at the fraternity party. Isabel was dressed in a knee length skirt, that when she spun, would stand out like a saucer showing glimpses of her frilly panties. Liz felt a little self conscious in her party dress, but Isabel kept saying he or rather they would all see a goddess. Liz was troubled for a minute about that slip. What “he” was Isabel thinking of.

When Max came in he was wearing his calfskin vest over a white silk shirt with pearl snaps. His black lizard boots and black high crown hat finished off his wardrobe.

Alex offered Isabel his arm and Max did the same to Liz. Liz knew that it was obvious that she was to be Max’s date even though they hadn’t made that completely clear. They had seemed to be going as a group.

----------------------------
A hard story but some seem to like it. Liz Come back
Stories by Ken

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 7 pg4 april 30

Post by ken_r »

L-J-L 76
Begonia 9508
Michelle in Yonkers
Natalie36

Chapter 8

The club they drove to was a western dance club. Dressed, as her friends were, Liz couldn’t imagine that they would be going anywhere else. They each received a stamp on their hands when they went in. The club played western music, but it was reminiscent of a disco place Liz had gone to once in New York.

In New York, there would have been a hat check, but in a western place, every man and half the women all were wearing their “Stetsons.” Maria waved as she saw them enter. Michael was there wearing his trophy buckle. When she greeted him, Liz noticed he had had it engraved.

Dancing was different here. Max sat for a while as Liz got acclimated. They picked up a waltz and Max held out his hand. Liz was surprised, she hadn’t pictured Max as being the waltz type. Liz had something else to learn this night and it was the strength of being held in his arms. There might be softness in his hands, even with the calluses of his work, as he held hers, but in his arms she could only feel strength. Liz was wearing medium heels, but if she stumbled or tripped his embrace made it impossible for her to fall.

When they sat down, Max raised his hand and a waitress came by. She inspected Max’s drivers license and nodded. Then, she ask Liz for hers. Seeing that Liz was only 18, she took out a stamp and made another mark on the back of Liz’s hand. Max smiled and ordered Liz a coke and a dark beer for himself.

The band took its 15 minute break. Maria and Michael came back, along with Isabel and Alex. With the band quiet they could talk. “How do you like dancing, western style?” Maria said with a grin.

Liz laughed, “It is just as noisy when the band is playing as back home, but the dancing and the clothes are different.

Maria had to grin. She stood up and spun around. Maria was wearing a mini skirt along with her red and white boots. She was wearing pantyhose that had a golden sheen. She was wearing her white ruffled blouse with a red western vest and, finally, her red low-crowned hat.

Michael just leaned back and sighed. He was in love with the image as well as the person of Maria.

Liz had to think about what she had learned about these people. She remembered the strength of Alex as he lifted the football player. All of them, when riding in the rodeo, showed skill as well as strength. She caught Max looking at her and when she returned the look, Max blushed. Liz wondered why.

------------------

The princess had been invited to a ball given by the realms of kings and knights who knew Sir Maxwell and Lady Isabel. She had worn her party gown, but they were all dressed in native costume. The princess could not help but notice how much Sir Michael admired and loved his lady, Maria.

The princess had been treated with the greatest respect at the castle of king Philip. She still had that feeling of being naked before someone. The princess wondered what that meant. Did it mean that soon she would meet someone to whom she would present her virginity? This would be her gift to the man who was to be her soul mate.

---------------------

Liz had a good time with the cowboys and their women. She, in no way, considered herself one of them, but she didn’t feel like Doug had. Her experience was that they were very loyal and always ready to help a friend. It was midnight when they left. Max drove her to his house. When they arrived home, Max asked if she would like to walk in the starlight.

At first, Liz shivered, but then she remembered how secure she felt in his arms. Liz had a shawl thrown around her shoulders. They were walking on a concrete walk behind the Evans’ house.

------------------

The princess was walking with Sir Maxwell. The evil monsters were still out there. She was sure of it. Somehow, when Sir Maxwell was walking, the princess believed that the monsters shrunk away. Maybe, he was a sorcerer like his sister. Maybe, he cast a spell about them so no harm would come to them. The princess looked up at the stars. The river of stars was flowing across the sky and was so clear. When they saw a demon flashing across the sky, Max said, “Liz make a wish when you see a shooting star.”

The princess did and she, then, wondered why she did it?

------------------

Max leaned down and kissed her. He drew back immediately, “I am sorry Liz, that was pretty bold of me.”

Liz looked at him. “You didn’t do it. I wished that someone would kiss me. You couldn’t help it.”

Liz was thinking that it wasn’t exactly the way she made her wish. She wished her soul mate would kiss her. How could anyone think her soul mate would be a cowboy?

---------------

The princess was lying in her bed. She had been sleeping. The ball she had attended was now over. There had been a man there that she was sure was her soul mate. He had gazed at her naked and he had been pleased at what he saw. He had showered her with kisses. Her soul mate was a powerful man. Kings and knaves all bowed before him. He would protect her forever. She just couldn’t see, clearly, who he was.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI ch 8 pg4 May 8

Post by ken_r »

Begonia9508
Natalie36
Illah
L-J-L 76
Keepsmiling7

The answer keepsmiling is I have never been so sick in my life. Carole did edit two chapters so I will have the next posting in a timely manner.

Chapter 9

Max took the sedan into Roswell. Alex had finished starting the colt for Philip. He would continue during Christmas break. The way Alex broke horses was slow, but when he was through training them, they were always gentle. Alex had a very soft hand. Just ask Isabel. Isabel wanted to pick Alex up and, then, they would show Liz around the town.

They were walking down Main Street. Coming toward them was a man about Max and Isabel’s age. “Hey, Kyle,” Max greeted.

“Hey, Max, Isabel and…” Kyle indicated Liz.

“Sorry, Kyle, this is Liz. She is visiting us this Thanksgiving,” Max stated.

Kyle touched the brow of his hat, a gesture that Liz had seen time and time again out here.

“You seen Maria?” Kyle asked.

“Yeah, we were at the “Water Hole” last night with her and Michael.” Max answered.

“Well, I just want to tell her that we got the wagon and we are going at 6:00 tonight. She has wanted me to organize a hayride for some time. Old man Chavez just told his son, Jake, that we could use his wagon. Why don’t you folks come, also? It is a once in a life time experience,” Kyle said that last part to Liz.

“That’s mighty fine, Kyle. If we see Michael or Maria, we will give them your message. We will see if we can join you.” Max nodded at Kyle. Kyle was almost Maria’s brother because his papa was carrying on with her mama something fierce.

By the time they ran into Maria, she had already been told Kyle’s message, by four other people. Max turned to Liz, “You want to go? It is a lot of fun. We all sing and when we get to the flats, we build a fire. Then, we come home in the starlight. It is a bit romantical, but it is, also, beautiful. Maria is a singer so that is why Kyle was looking for her. She takes her guitar and we are treated to many songs.

They walked around town. They took in the UFO museum and Liz learned all the mythology of Roswell.

Isabel decided to stay with Alex. She told Max to get mom to fix her some clothes to wear tonight. With the promise that they would be back well before 6:00 that night, Max and Liz returned to the ranch.

Diane packed what Isabel would need. Then she approached Liz. “Honey, let’s see what you have and, maybe, you can borrow a jacket from Izzy.”

They picked out some slacks and a warm blouse that Liz had packed. Diane was able to find an older jacket of Isabel’s that she had outgrown. In plenty of time, they were headed back to town.

--------------------------

The princess was invited to attend a ceremony. It would be with several young people. They would ride in a carriage a ways out from the town. There was one of the ladies; she was Sir Michael’s lady. She had an instrument and she was singing as they traveled. The princess knew that she would learn a lot about this kingdom.

-------------------

As soon as they were on the way, Maria started singing folk songs.

“Hang down your head, Tom Dooley,

Hang down your head and cry;

Hang down your head, Tom Dooley,

Poor boy, you're going to die.”

This was the song Liz remembered from her daddy’s collection of old Kingston Trio records. She joined in, as did they all. The story went through the mysteries of the man who, maybe, or maybe not, killed a girl. It was a slow song and they all droned it on. Some of them trying the almost falsetto, that the trio had added.

They were in a horse drawn wagon. It had been filled with hay for cushioning. The horse knew that he had to listen to the caterwauling, so he just walked slowly. Maybe he had his own way of shutting out the noise. There were several couples with flashlights. They were playing the light against the trees and rocks along the way. Soon, Maria was heard to say, “Just for our own bronc rider, this one is for Alex.

Zebra Dun

Then, Maria said “We might dedicate it to Liz Parker who is visiting us from the east.”

She started the song. Every one except for Liz knew the words well.

“We was camped on the plains at the head of the Cimmaron
When along comes a stranger and stopped to argue some,
Well, he looked so very foolish, that we begun to look around
For he seemed like a greenhorn, just escaped from town.”

---------------------

As the song went along, Liz had to laugh along with the rest of them. The green horn in the song had proved himself as a good sport and rider. Well, Liz was trying to be a good sport. Rider, well, they would have to wait and see.

----------------

“We asked him had he eaten, he hadn't a smear,
So we opened up the chuck-box and bade him have a share,
Well, he filled up on some coffee and some biscuits and some beans
And started right in telling about foreign kings and queens.”

“All about the foreign wars on the land and on the seas
With guns as big as steers, and ramrods big as trees.
About a feller named Paul Jones, a fightin' son of a gun
A fighter and the grittiest cuss that ever packed a gun.”

“Such an educated feller, his thoughts just come in herds,
He astonished all them cowboys with his jawbreaking' words
Well the stranger kept on talkin' till the boys they all got sick
And begun to look around to see if they could play a trick.”

----------------

The man was educated, but he was able to become a cowboy. That brought up thoughts to Liz. Could she ever become a cowgirl? Did she want to become one? Liz enjoyed the companion ship of these people. They were unpretentious and seemed to always be genuine.

------------------

“Well, he said he'd lost his job up on the Santa Fe
He was goin' 'cross the plains to for to hit the Seven D;
He didn't say how come it, just some trouble with the boss
But asked if he could borrow a nice fat saddle horse”

------------------

Liz learned that the cowboys had a horse much like Peaches. But, the stranger rode him just like Michael had ridden peaches. Privately, Liz wondered if he had gotten stuck on the saddle like Michael had on Peaches.

----------------------

“Well, this tickled all the boys to death, we laughed down our sleeves.
We said we'd give him a fine horse, as fresh and fat as you please.
So Shorty grabbed his lariat and he roped the Zebra Dun
And we give him to the stranger and waited for the fun.

Now, old Dunny was an outlaw, he'd grown so awful wild.
He could paw the moon down, he could jump a mile;
Old Dunny stood right still there, like as he didn't know
‘Till the stranger had him saddled and ready for to go.

When the stranger hit the saddle, then old Dun he quit the earth,
And started travelin' upwards for all that he was worth,
A-yellin' and a-squealin' and a-having wall-eyed fits
His front feet perpendicular, his hind feet in the bits.

We could see the tops of mountains under Dunny every jump
But the stranger he was glued there just like the camel's hump;
The stranger he just sat there, and twirled his black moustache,
Just like a summer boarder waitin' for the hash.

Well, he thumped him in the shoulders and he spured him when he whirled,
And hollered to them cowboys, "I'm the wolf of the world!"
And when he had dismounted and once more upon the ground,
We knew he was a thoroughbred and not a dude from town.

The boss he was a-standin' there just watchin' of the show
Walked over to the stranger and said, "You needn't go.
If you can use a lariat like you rode old Zebra Dun,
You're the man I've been looking for since the Year of One!"

And when the herd stampeded, he was always on the spot,
And set them off to nothing, like the boiling of a pot.
Well, there's one thing and a shore thing I've learned since I've been born
Every educated feller ain't a plumb greenhorn.

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiZEBRAD ... RADUN.html

----------------------------

Alex stood when they finished and took a bow then he leaned over and, taking Liz by the hand, he had her stand. Everyone laughed and cheered. Liz hadn’t felt the fun of being part of something, this strongly in a long time.

Maria was strumming as she was thinking what to sing next. Suddenly, she hit a chord, “This is for my man, Michael. It is a Chris LeDoux song and it is about a man who was tricked into riding a bull. Let us remember that not all of us heros are made, some of us just happen.

I was sittin' in a bar room, one rainy afternoon
Tellin'stories about a rodeo and listenin to a tune
The rodeo starts tomorrow in this one horse town
So Bill took our names and put our entries down
I went to the rodeo office the next day to see
What bareback horse I had, and to pay my fees
I looked across the list, but my name wasn't to be found
I thought Bill just might have forgot, to put me down
I looked across the board and I happened to find
My name was on another list I was in the bull ridin’
My knees began to knock and my face began to sweat
And I heaved and gagged on the rodeo office step
Well, I may be a fool, but a coward I'm not

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/ledoux ... -4377.html

The story went on telling of a cowboy who was signed up, by his friend, to bull riding. Everyone knew that Michael was a willing bull rider so they kept trying to find the reason Maria was singing this song to him. Isabel, Max, Liz Alex all understood that the great win of Michael was an accident and just luck. When she was through, Michael grabbed her guitar and handed it to Kyle. Then, he proceeded to tickle Maria as she squealed. Then the squealing stopped and it was observed that they were locked in embrace as Michael kissed away everything he felt to and about Maria.

They finally arrived at the flats. Here was a place where they could have a fire without much danger of it getting away. Max whispered to Liz. “There is water and shovels in the wagon to fight the fire if we have to, but it has never happened.”

Maria took her guitar one more time and sang the ever present song Kum ba ya.

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya
Someone’s laughing, Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya

They went through the many verses. Then, Maria just set her guitar aside and, taking Michael in her arms, she was making music of another kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya

As the fire burned down, Liz noticed that several of the couples seemed to dissolve away. She looked at Max, but he was just holding her as she leaned back against his chest, feeling his legs supporting her on either side. They were sitting on the blankets that he had brought. It wasn’t cold, but Liz shivered a bit, anyway. Max, mistaking her shiver for being cold, pulled his jacket around her as she leaned her head against his chest. With the crackling fire, the dancing shadows and the smell of smoke Liz almost fell asleep.

The princess knew that she had had a spell cast upon her. She didn’t know when she could break the spell, but she depended on the strong arms of her knight to protect her. The princess knew that no one would bother her as long as Sir Maxwell held her. She had never felt so secure.

The princess watched as the sparks rose into the heavens. They were sprites taking messages to some deity that looked after wayward princesses. The song, the friendship and all were contributing to the very strong well being she felt. Somewhere, she could hear a giggle as Kyle must have done something to the blond girl he was with. She could hear his drawl as he asked her if it was all right. Liz wondered what was all right, that the girl was agreeing to. Somewhere, her fantasy had dissolved into reality. The reality of right now was more precious than any story could be. Liz just leaned back.

------------------

Liz woke up. The swaying of the wagon, which had contributed to her sleep, was what had caused her to wake. She was sitting in Max’s lap, snuggled up in his arms. They had a wool blanket wrapped around them. Liz could hear Maria softly singing again.

“Come gather round me boys and I'll tell you a tale
All about my troubles on the old Chisholm Trail.

Come-a ti yi yippy, yippy yippy yippy yay,
Come-a ti yi yippy yippy yay.”

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCHISHL ... SHLM2.html

Liz knew that song. The words were well know even to her. Then she heard;

Oh, I humped her in the saddle,
I humped her in the stye,
And if she’d had wings,
I’d humped her in the sky.

“Maria, cut that out! You know those aren’t the correct words for that song. You are just making up dirty words to upset us.”

No one in the dark knew who had yelled at Maria, but there was general laughter.

“I just wanted to see who was awake,” Maria laughed. Michael reached up and, gently taking the guitar from her hands, he pulled her to him. If she had that much energy she could use it on him.
------------------------
it is a hard read but some of the feedback is interesting.
Liz Come back

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Cowgirl Princess teen ML, MM, KT, AI pg5 ch9 May 16

Post by ken_r »

Natalie36
L-J-L 76
Lilah
Keepsmiling7
Begonia9508
Michelle in Yonkers

Chapter 10

On the way back to school, Liz leaned against Max. She wasn’t sure what they meant to each other, but she had never had that much fun on an extended weekend.

Back to school and back to the schedule. Everything went smoothly. Liz had done well in her grades all semester. She could only thank Isabel for bringing her to this rooming house and sharing part of her world with a girl from New York. Finals and they would all be leaving for Christmas break.

Liz had her clothes packed. She would leave most of her things here at the rooming house. Maria and Michael would be back soon after Christmas. so any food stuffs left in the refrigerator, Michael had promised to make sure they didn’t spoil. Max and Isabel didn’t yet know how long they would stay back at Roswell. A lot depended on how fast the training of the colt for Philip came along. Isabel wouldn’t be leaving Roswell until Alex was free. Liz intended to stay at her home in New York for almost a month.

Max took her to the airport. As he left her off, he took her face and kissed her tenderly. Liz and Max were still not sure of anything. Their worlds were just so different. That was one of the things that Liz wanted to try to clear up while back east.

---------------

The princess was to return to the realm. She would be met by the king, queen and a surprise guest, Sir Sean. Privately, Liz ran that name by several times. Sir Sean sounded so strange. She tried again. The princess was met by the king and queen, along with their family friend, Lord Sean. Lord Sean was known for his dalliances with the many ladies of the court. The royal herald had mentioned him many times in the last few years, since he had gained his majority. Now, at the age of 21, Lord Sean was expected to seek a more constant partner.

The princess had appeared with the lord before, but because of her age they had never been linked in an amorous way. The family of Lord Sean had many treaties with King Jeff. Liz was not sure of what was expected of her by her family.

That night, the princess, alone with just her parents, related many of her adventures.

-----------------

Yes, daddy, I started out living in a dorm, but the students were always partying. I was afraid. So many of them were always drinking. I met a friend who introduced me to a rooming house. There are three other people staying there. It is much better and if I need to go back to the campus at night, one of the men will accompany me for my protection,” Liz related.

Jeff looked up, “Wouldn’t the dorms be safer? Don’t the officials pay more attention to the students?”

Liz shook her head, “No, daddy, the students are all over 18 and considered adults. Unless there is a criminal complaint, the administration leaves the students on their own.”

Jeff was still shaking his head, “Liz, a rooming house with both men and women living there, are you sure you are ready for this?”

“Yes daddy, we are sort of like a family. In fact, my friend, Isabel, is the sister of my landlord. Isabel lives at another apartment.” Liz stopped just short of explaining that Isabel lived with her boyfriend.

“Lizzy, how do you know you can trust these people? What assurance do you have that one of the men some night might not assault you? You are so far from anyone who would offer you protection.”

“Daddy, they all seem to be really nice people. The man, Michael who is living at the house, has a girl friend. She wouldn’t let him get out of line. Max, my landlord arranges every night so the women in our group have someone to take them to school and return in the afternoon. If one of us has to attend a seminar or something at night, there is always someone who will accompany us.” Liz was saying.

“Well, Liz who are these people? What do they do and who are their parents?” Jeff was asking.

“They are cowboys, Daddy. Cowboys right off the silver screen,” Liz informed him.

Jeff frowned, “Liz, I think you are making too much of these people. Ranching and farming are business just like any other businesses. The myth of the cowboy is just that. It is a myth. They don’t exist. The men and boys you met are just like men and boys you could meet here or any other place. They can’t do anything that anyone else couldn’t do.”

Now, it was Liz’s turn to frown. She had never had a boy or man come to her rescue as fast as Isabel’s friends had,when she was at the dorm. She had never met a man who had ever rode anything like “Peaches” before, either.

--------------

It was fine to be back home in her castle. The king and queen had indulged the princess as she told of the things she had seen and done in the strange land. There would be no meeting at 10:00 tonight to decide how she would get to school or home tomorrow. The princess was now where she belonged.

----------------

Showered, dressed and then Liz was down in the kitchen. There was no coffee ready on the table. She opened the frigerator and there was almost nothing there except for a slightly shrivled apple. Liz heated a cup of water in the microwave and spooned instant coffee into the cup. The taste was a far cry from the chicory coffee Michael had bought just before the holidays.

Nancy, her mother, came in. “Several of the families want to have a party along with their college age children. It will be a place where acquaintances can be reformed. I do hope you will be able to go with us. So many quality people will be there,” Nancy announced.

---------------

The queen had just announced that a ball would be given, for young people of marriageable age, by their families. The queen didn’t say anything, but the princess knew that she meant families with whom they held treaties. , the princess enjoyed parties that the parents threw to aid in the socialization of their children. The little boy who cried, years ago when she took his crayons away from him, would now be a man of distinction. The little girl, who no one liked, would now be a beauty and so many would wish they had been nicer when she was young. There would be no formal gowns, but the queen did help the princess pick out a party dress that displayed her natural charms to their best.

-------------------

Liz was surprised that her mama picked out the dress. Yes, Liz thought, it was beautiful. It had a plunging neckline. The back was bare. Liz was surprised that her mother would choose this. In fact, she could just imagine wearing that dress when going out with a cowboy. “They were so cute when they were all tongue tied in the presence of a date in a truly sexy dress.” Maria had told her that.

Liz caught herself. She was a city girl. She thought about the crying of the coyotes that first night. Here in the city, the police sirens were so comforting. The honking and the noise of the bustle of the city seemed so correct compared to the sound mysteries she remembered from the night of the hayride. Mama said that the dress would call attention to the fact that Liz was now grown up.

----------------

It was the night of the ball. The princess was accompanied by her parents. She knew from past soirées that the parents would soon retire to the lounge or the smoking room, where they could engage in adult conversation, crucifying the character or person of anyone not present. They would leave the young people in the company of one or two younger married couples who could still stand the music and still understood the present generation.

---------------------

As the Parkers entered the room, they were met by Mr. Shallow. “Jeff,” Mr. Shallow said as he grabbed Jeff’s hand, “I understand our children are taking classes together.” The elder Shallow winked, “Maybe, a merger can still be considered sometime in the future.”

As they were walking across the room, Jeff whispered, “You didn’t tell me that you were in class with Doug. I hear he is a very fine boy.”

Liz just shrugged. Anyone, who her parents called an eligible boy, was gay, a loafer, a sadist, or some other undateble person. She could bank on it. Her parents had no clue as to the people they tried to introduce her to. They made no allowance for the boys to be other than what they imagined.

They walked to a table. Upon sitting down, they were approached by Sean. “Liz, all grown up. May I have this dance?” he asked.

Before Liz could even think of answering, Nancy replied for her, “Of course you can. Come Lizzy dear, Sean is waiting for you.”

Liz sighed. She stood and Sean took her by the hand. “Liz, all grown up. You are wearing the dress, of a women. Are you still virgin, Liz, or are you, now ready to join society?” he asked.

“Sean, I have no intention of becoming a tabloid feature with your other girls,” Liz answered Sean.

“Liz, Liz, the girls that appear with me on the tabloids often go forth to have very famous careers. Being seen with me, just assures that they are women of quality. Liz, when are you going to let me lead you down those steps of amour?” Sean stated.

“In your dreams, Sean. Whether I am a virgin or not is just something I am not ready to let you find out,” Liz retorted. She was to regret how she said this later.

Sean laughed, “Ah, yes, the more difficult the quest, the more tender the fruit. Liz, I will always be here.”

“Sean I read where you might even be getting married in the tabloid, the other day. Is there any truth to that?” Liz inquired.

Ah, the rhetoric of the press. It doesn’t matter. Liz, if I get married, that doesn’t mean I will be dead. I will always enjoy the taste of a delectable dish.” Sean whirled her around as they completed their time around the floor.

Liz pleaded fatigue as she sat back down with her parents. They hadn’t yet got bored enough t follow the other parents out of the room.

Nancy leaned over as Liz returned. “He is so handsome and so charming. His father has more than doubled the size of their company. He will be such a wonderful catch to some lucky girl.

There were several other young men who came by to ask Liz to dance. Sean was right. She was wearing the dress of a woman of the world. Most of men had such soft hands. Not soft and tender like the rough, calloused hands of Max, but just soft, no strength. Liz caught herself looking at the manicured nails of one very handsome man. She was thinking of the strong rough hands of Max.

Another man was holding her. He had an excellent physic and when asked, yes, he spent three days a week in the gym. Liz fell against his arm. It almost unbalanced both of them. Liz apologized profusely at her clumsiness. Michael or Max would have swept her off her feet if she had stumbled. They could have supported her if she had had both feet off the floor.

When Liz finally got back, she found Doug Shallow and his father sitting with her parents. “Liz, Doug was just telling about being in the same biology class with you. He said that you got an “A” for the semester. hadn’t told us that yet,” Her father said.

Liz wondered, the grades were listed by student Identity number. Unless Doug had this number, how had he found out the grade.? She just smiled to her father, who continued, “He was telling us about taking you to a dance where it was crashed by cowboy types. Doug told us how he threw them out. That was quite right to do, if I may say so!”

Liz looked at Doug and her father, “Doug, threw them out! I don’t think so.”

Her father waved his hand, “Well, whether or not he actually did it, is not important. What counts, is that he had the intention. Liz, this is even more reason I worry about you attending school with those savages. Doug says he can get you back into the dorms. I think you should listen to him.”

Liz did accept a dance with Doug, “Doug, you envision that you could throw Alex out of that dance? Didn’t you hear him? He, the same as, called you a rustler and threatened to hurt you, Or don’t you remember that part?” Liz said.

Doug, laughed, “Liz I don’t understand half what those primitives say. I just don’t know what you see in them. You better take me up on that offer to get back in the dorm. I am sure your father is going to insist.”

----------------

The princess had always found the politics around the different kingdoms difficult. The kings and princes all bragged and lied. Liz wondered if she had ever fallen into this trap. She had always been shielded by her father’s power from much of the things going on among the kingdoms. She knew that her father’s power, also, protected her as to her virtue. None of the young men previously want to chance angering King Jeff by trifling with his daughter. Now that she was legally and socially grown up, Liz wondered if that protection still held. Was the dress, her mother had given her, some sort of announcement.

----------------

The party was over. Nancy and Jeff had stayed longer than necessary because they wanted to observe their daughter. Nancy was disappointed that Liz showed little inclination to take any of the offers that Nancy saw being made to Liz. Nancy had managed to show off Liz so she would have many men of quality court her. Could it be that Liz had been too sheltered to know when she was being complemented? Was there something else, maybe, something or someone back in that savage land, where she was attending school?

Christmas came and went. Her parents gave her several items of clothing. She was also given some money to choose clothes of her own. Liz intended to do this, but not here. She would wait until she could get back with Isabel and Maria.

New Year’s parties came and that meant more wrestling in the back seat of limousines, trying to tell the rich young men that they didn’t own her. Now that Liz was 18, had some one pinned a sign on her saying she is for grabs? By the second week of January, even though she still had two more weeks of vacation, Liz told her parents that she needed to return early to study for spring classes. Mr. Parker was happy with Liz’s grades and she didn’t seem to be enjoying the social circuit of the city. Just before she left, Liz sat down with her father.

“Liz, are you going to be seeing Doug Shallow when you get back?” Her father asked.

“Daddy, if as you say, Doug is just like his father, I think you should be careful of having any business arrangements with him. Doug is a coward and a cad. He is not the kind of , or man, my daddy taught me to be with.”

Jeff Parker pondered her words, but it was seen that he no longer invested in the Shallow Enterprises.

-----------------------------
Liz Come back was not an easy story to write nor, i am told, is it easy to read. I am enjoying the discussions.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-