Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) COMPLETE - 11/21/08

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

jbangelo
Administrator

Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) COMPLETE - 11/21/08

Post by jbangelo »

Title: Explosions of Green
Authors: jbangelo & ISLANDGIRL5
Disclaimer: We own nothing.
Pairing: Kyle/Isabel
Rating: MATURE
Summary: It's been two years since the gang split after Graduation, and Isabel and Kyle have become extremely close. When Isabel realizes that her feelings for Kyle have gone beyond friendship, she hesitates to do anything about it. So how will our favorite Ice Queen react when Kyle starts dating someone new?
Authors' Note: This is based on an idea by crazylittlecandygirl that was posted in the "After Graduation: What happened?" thread in the In Crowder forum at The Eraser Room. Kate has graciously allowed us to write a fic from her idea, so this is dedicated to her. Pure fluff!
Additional Note: Some of you may remember this story from a couple of years ago. Christian and I have finally completed it, and we apologize to those who were reading it and had to wait this long. ;) This is short - five parts. I'll post a part every couple of days until it's complete.

I.

She could feel his short puffs of breath against the back of her neck. The warmth of his hand where it rested on her hip. The gentle rise and fall of his chest that was pressed tightly against her back. She felt like she was on sensory overload, her body humming with energy that desperately needed to be released.

Glancing at the digital clock on the nightstand, she saw that it was just past five a.m., and decided she would go for an early morning run. Maybe it would help her relax and take her mind off of things.

Slowly and quietly, Isabel Evans slid from the comfort of the bed, being careful not to disturb Kyle Valenti's slumber. Kyle was a very affectionate sleeper, a fact that he himself probably wasn't even aware of. The first night they'd spent together, Isabel had awoken in the middle of the night with his arm draped possessively around her middle. When she'd questioned him about the next day, he had claimed to have no recollection. Over time, Isabel had grown accustomed to waking up in Kyle's embrace, and had even come to appreciate the security of it. But lately... well, lately things were changing.

For the first six months that the runaway group from Roswell, New Mexico, had lived in their three-bedroom apartment, Kyle had slept on the couch in the living room. But it soon became an annoyance to the other occupants of the apartment, as well as Kyle himself, and Isabel had offered to let him move into her room. Kyle had refused at first, not wanting to intrude on her privacy or make her uncomfortable, but Isabel had insisted that it would be fine.

And it had been fine... until Isabel started to realize that she was falling for her friend.

She couldn't pinpoint the exact moment when it had happened. Maybe it had just been steadily growing over the last two years. She and Kyle had gravitated toward each other even more than they already had after the gang hit the road after graduation, what with the newlyweds spending all their time together and Maria and Michael working on rebuilding their relationship. They would hang out all the time, laugh together, sometimes even cry together. It wasn't an easy road at the beginning, and Isabel and Kyle had had each other to lean on.

So they had obviously become very close. At this point, Kyle probably knew Isabel better than anyone, even her brother. Sometimes that scared Isabel, but mostly it was a relief to have someone who knew her inside and out, and still hung around for more. And Isabel knew Kyle, too. She knew that he was much more special than most people gave him credit for.

He made her laugh like no one else could. He made the most ridiculous jokes sometimes, but he never failed to bring a smile to her face. And yet he could be serious when she needed him to be. When she'd finally come to realize what a mistake she'd made by marrying Jesse so soon, there were no 'I told you so's, just the supportive shoulder of a friend. He always knew exactly what to say to make her feel better.

And so, somewhere along the line, Isabel had fallen in love with him.

As she tied her tennis shoes, Isabel silently berated herself for letting her emotions get the best of her. Falling for, of all people, her best friend. Her rock, her confidant. The one person she knew she could run to, and count on to give her whatever it was she needed. A word of advice, comforting words of reassurance, a shoulder to cry on, and yes, at times, even a punching bag to let loose on.

Now, there were times when she didn't know what to say to him. Times when she didn't know how to react when he was teasing her, or playing around with her like they always had. Would she give away her secret? Would she let her hand linger on him too long? Would a shy smile she couldn't hide tell everyone exactly how she felt?

As she closed the door behind her, and took off down the street at a steady pace, she wondered how a little four-letter word could complicate things so much.

Later, Isabel stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom, leisurely running a brush through her blonde hair. She'd let it grow out and return to its natural color after they left Roswell, and now it was almost halfway down her back. Out of boredom, she waved a hand over her hair, instantly giving her straight locks some loose curls, and smiled at her reflection. She absent-mindedly wondered whether Kyle preferred her hair wavy or straight.

Realizing where her train of thought was quickly headed, she shook her head and waved her hand over her hair again, straightening it back out. "Get a grip, Isabel," she mumbled to herself chidingly.

"Talking to yourself again, Iz?"

Isabel jumped when she heard Kyle's voice behind her. He came into the bedroom and grabbed his wallet from the nightstand, stuffing it into the back pocket of his jeans.

"Shut up," Isabel said good-naturedly, resuming brushing her hair.

"Liz said that they're all going out to grab some lunch if you wanted to go with them," Kyle told her.

Isabel put her hairbrush down on top of the dresser and turned around. "You aren't going?" she asked.

"Can't," Kyle replied, reaching into the closet for his jacket. "I have a date."

With those four simple words, Isabel felt as if her world had stopped spinning. Kyle had a date? With whom? Why hadn't he told her? Was it serious? He'd barely so much as looked at a girl in the past two years, and now he was dating someone? Her mind whirled with all sorts of ridiculous scenarios, but she forced herself to calm down.

"You, um..." She paused and cleared her throat, willing her voice to sound even. "You have a date?"

"Yeah," Kyle answered. "Her name's Nora. She lives on the first floor of our building - I met her at the Laundromat the other day."

"Oh." It was all she could think of to say.

Kyle seemed blissfully unaware of Isabel's discomfort as he put on his jacket, smiling as he adjusted the collar. "I gotta go. I'm meeting her for lunch in fifteen minutes." He kissed her cheek, a friendly gesture that had become commonplace with them over time, but which now made Isabel feel oddly uncomfortable. "I'll tell you all about it later."

"Great," Isabel replied, mustering a fake smile.

I can't wait, she thought to herself disdainfully.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

jbangelo
Administrator

Re: Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) Part 1 - 11/13/08

Post by jbangelo »

II.

Isabel sleepily rolled over and squinted her eyes to read the numbers on the digital clock, only to bolt upright when she saw that it was after ten-thirty. Isabel hated sleeping that late - it made her feel like she was wasting half her day.

As she made her way to the bathroom for a shower, she realized how she must have slept so long. The apartment was unusually quiet. She could see Max in the living room reading, but there was no sign of anyone else.

So she took advantage of the empty apartment with a nice, leisure shower, using her powers to reheat the water when it started to cool. After cleaning up, she got dressed and went to join Max in the living room, picking up the newspaper from the coffee table.

"Where's Kyle?" Isabel asked casually as she plopped down on the couch with the newspaper in her lap. She folded it up and placed it on her lap, determined to finish today's crossword puzzle.

Max looked up from the book he was reading and answered, "He went out with that girl from downstairs. What's her name - Natalie?"

Isabel's head whipped in Max's direction. "Nora," she corrected, a hint of contempt in her voice. With a huff, she tossed the paper on the seat beside her. "He's out with her again?" That made the third time this week.

"Yeah, so?" Max replied with a shrug, his nose buried in his book again.

"Nothing," Isabel grumbled, once again picking up the newspaper. But as she tried to focus on the crossword, her thoughts just wandered to Kyle and Nora. She wondered what they were doing. She wondered what Nora was like. Was she pretty? Was she smart? What was so great about her that had captured Kyle's attention enough to warrant going out three times in one week?!

"Ugh!" Isabel muttered to herself, throwing the paper and pen down onto the coffee table.

"What's wrong with you?" Max asked.

She'd completely forgotten that Max was still in the room. Mustering a fake laugh, she answered, "Stupid crossword puzzle. I can never figure it out."

Max smiled and nodded, accepting Isabel's answer. Isabel stood up from the couch, unable to sit still any longer. She headed in the direction of the kitchen with the intent of making herself a cup of coffee, and the front door opened just as she walked by, startling her and making her jump.

"Hey, Iz," Kyle greeted her, and Isabel smiled in relief to see that he was home.

Her smile faded instantly, however, when she caught sight of the petite brunette that walked in behind him.

"Good morning!"

Isabel raised an eyebrow at Kyle's greeting, wondering if he couldn't see the frown she knew she was wearing.

"Morning," Max said, as he nodded in Kyle's direction.

"Nora, Max, Max, Nora," Kyle said as he introduced the two. Isabel watched, and wanted to slap Max's hand as he reached out and shook the woman's hand.

"Nice to meet you," Nora said.

"Nice to meet you," Max said. "Glad to see Kyle does have other friends."

"Hardy har, har," Kyle said with a smile. He turned, and looked at Isabel, and his smile brightened considerably. He crossed the distance across the small room, and put his arm around her shoulder. "And this lovely lady is Isabel, my best friend and right hand... man."

Nora crossed over to stand in front of them, and reached out her hand. "I've heard so much about you, Isabel. I finally have a face to put with the name. It's nice to meet you."

"I'm sure," Isabel said as she turned to look at Kyle. "Are we still on for lunch today? Because if not, I'm going with Max and Liz."

Kyle looked at Isabel skeptically, his eyes darting towards Nora momentarily. "Yeah. Nora and I had breakfast, but she has a lunch meeting for work. I thought we'd go while I was waiting for her meeting to be over."

"How nice of you to fit me in," Isabel commented dryly.

Kyle frowned, his eyes concerned and wondering. "Is everything okay?" he asked Isabel.

Isabel ignored his question, and walked around him, stepping into the kitchen to take a deep breath. She stepped back into the living room and headed towards Max. She was about to say something to her brother when Liz called from the next room, and like always, Max went running. Isabel rolled her eyes and groaned. Now she was left alone with Kyle and Nora.

Isabel, intent on getting her mind off the fact that Kyle stood a few feet away with the girl he was seeing, went back into the kitchen and grabbed two coffee cups from the cupboard, and fixed one for her and one for Kyle. She knew exactly how he liked his coffee, so she put in the right amount of cream and sugar, and carried both mugs to where Kyle was still standing with Nora in the living room. "Your coffee," she said, handing it to him, knowing that Kyle always drank coffee or water until lunchtime.

Kyle looked at Isabel and his eyes widened at her lack of manners, and her obvious rudeness.

"Nora, would you like something to drink?" Kyle asked, mortified that Isabel hadn't asked Nora if she wanted anything.

Nora nodded. "Coffee would be great, if you have more," she said.

"Make yourself at home," Kyle said, as he took a second to rub her forearm. "Find a comfortable chair and grab it. Once everyone else gets in here, an empty seat will be hard to find."

Nora smiled at Kyle, and walked towards the armchair in the corner. She walked around the coffee table and turned to sit down when she felt something behind her. She turned around, to find Isabel plopped into the armchair.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Nora said softly.

"It's just that this is where I always sit. It's my chair, I bought it. Kyle always sits in the chair across from me, and Max and Liz always sit on the loveseat. Maria and Michael usually end up fighting over the extra spot on the loveseat. But you could pull a chair from the dining room in here if you want to sit down."

"Isabel!"

Isabel turned and looked at Kyle as he emerged from the kitchen with Nora's cup of coffee. She smiled sweetly, the overwhelming feeling to cry in the pit of her stomach almost getting the best of her when she saw Kyle's angry stare. "But, Kyle's not in here, so you can have his seat, I guess," she tried lamely. Kyle shook his head and mumbled under his breath as he set the cup of coffee down in front of Nora.

"So, Kyle tells me you're into fashion. He says you work for a fashion magazine, noticing and writing about the latest styles and trends. That must be interesting," Nora said, attempting to draw Isabel into conversation.

"It is," Isabel said. "It takes a keen eye, and a good fashion sense, though." Isabel stopped as she looked Nora from head to toe, assessing the competition. "Very few people have a good fashion sense, or even know how to put together a fashionable outfit that's up to date and in style."

Kyle would have intervened then, had the room not been caught in a whirlwind of activity. Max and Liz emerged from their room giggling and laughing as Liz ran around the couch, while Max ran after her in an attempt to grab her. Michael and Maria came breezing through the front door, involved in a heated argument that kept them from noticing they had company.

Nora looked around the room, as the noise level doubled, and the room filled with people.

"Guys, guys, guys," Kyle said in an attempt to quiet everyone down so he could introduce Nora.

No one heard him talking, so he stuck two fingers in his mouth and whistled as loud as he could. The room immediately quieted down as they all turned to stare at him. "Thank you," he said. He walked to stand behind Nora, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Nora, you've met Max. The woman he is chasing is his wife, Liz. Don't watch them too long, you'll get a toothache. This is Michael and this is his better half, Maria. Don't watch them too long, or you'll lose all hope for peace. Ever. This is my... family," Kyle said. "Guys, meet Nora."

Liz and Maria immediately went to Nora, shaking her hand, and muttering their apologies for not noticing her sooner. They stood talking and laughing for a few minutes, as Kyle talked to Max and Michael, telling them about Nora.

Isabel watched from her seat as life went on around her, and bit back the urge to cry. Kyle and Nora were the center of attention, and her friends and her brother were talking and carrying on with the happy couple. Why were they accepting her into Kyle's life? Couldn't they see that she was all wrong for him?

"Isabel, we are going to have dinner tonight. A girls' night," Liz said, turning to look at her sister-in-law. "Want to come?"

"Sure, I'd love to," Isabel said, her spirits lifting a little at the chance to spend some time with the girls. She would be able to tell them her predicament, and get some much-needed advice. "Where we going?"

"After Ten," Nora said. "It's a great new cocktail restaurant downtown near where I work. You need reservations, but I know the manager. I can get us in."

"Oh, I thought it would just be Liz, Maria, and I. Never mind, then. I can't make it."

"What's your problem, Isabel?" Kyle asked, not bothering to hide his frustration as he confronted her.

"What?" Isabel asked, feigning innocence. She looked back and forth between Kyle and Nora, as her eyes darted around the room, embarrassed that everyone was looking at her questioningly.

"Why are you being so rude? Nora is company. She's my company. Can you try and be friendly?"

Isabel opened her mouth to say something, but couldn't form any words that wouldn't give her away. She turned to Kyle, her expression sorrowful and hurt. She turned to Nora, and her eyes filled with tears as she imagined she saw the other woman looking back at her with a nod of understanding. Seeing Maria looking at her with a knowing gaze, she turned on her heel and went into the kitchen, leaning against the counter as her shoulders slumped and her eyes burned.

Isabel sighed and took a deep breath as she heard the living room emptying out. Liz and Max were probably headed out to lunch, and there was no telling where Maria and Michael were going - Isabel never could keep up with those two. She could hear the soft timbre of Kyle's voice, and she knew that Nora was leaving, too. Kyle would be in the kitchen, angry and upset, as soon as the other woman was gone.

After the door closed behind Nora, Kyle stormed into the kitchen to confront Isabel. He couldn't believe how awful she'd behaved. He was livid.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" he asked angrily.

Isabel turned around to face him. "What?" she asked innocently.

Kyle glared at her. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. Why were you so rude to Nora?"

Isabel shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "I wasn't rude," she said.

Kyle was growing increasingly frustrated with every word out of her mouth. "Then what do you call it?" he asked impatiently. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," Isabel replied. "I just think you can do better is all."

"Better?" Kyle asked incredulously. "What was wrong with her?"

Isabel, as if finally realizing that she was doing nothing more than making Kyle angrier, gave in. "Fine, nothing. She was perfectly nice."

"Then what was with that act you just pulled?" Kyle asked. Running his hands through his hair in agitation, he asked, "God, Isabel, why do you have to be such a bitch sometimes?"

The hurt look that marred her face at his words told him that he'd crossed the line, and he immediately felt bad.

"Just forget it," Isabel responded flippantly, and turned to leave the kitchen.

Kyle grabbed her by the arm to stop her. "Look, I'm sorry," he said apologetically. "I didn't mean that. But I'm not gonna forget about it. What's going on with you?"

"Kyle, it's nothing!" Isabel exclaimed in exasperation, shaking herself out of his grasp. "Just leave me alone."

Kyle was getting more confused by the minute. "Iz, this isn't you. Why are you acting like this?"

"It's just..." she started. "Because..." She hesitated, turning so that her back was to him.

"Because... because what?" Kyle asked persistently.

Isabel spun back around to face him, her voice shrill when she exclaimed, "It should have been me, okay! I should have been the one holding your hand, and it should have been me you were showing off to everyone."

Kyle blinked, not knowing what to say to her. Still not fully understanding what she was saying to him.

"I didn't set out to upset you, or her. I didn't intentionally mean to be rude. The high school Isabel Evans coming back to haunt me, I suppose," she said with a wry smile. She remembered that Isabel Evans. The one that hid her fears and insecurities behind an icy facade.

"Look-" Kyle began, before he was cut off.

"Don't," Isabel said. "You don't have to say anything. It's me, not you. I have these... feelings that I don't know what to do with. I don't know how to handle them, I don't know what to do with them, and it's making me crazy. Do what you want to do with her, Kyle. But I don't want to be around her. I can't be around her."

"Why?"

"I don't like her!" Isabel said, frustrated and upset.

"That's a cop out, Isabel, and you know it. Tell me why. Tell me what you know. Oh no... she's married, isn't she? She's married, she's a mother, you've seen her husband, and met her kids, and now I'm about to become the other man."

Isabel stared at Kyle, and if she hadn't been so upset and on the verge of tears, she would have laughed at the absurdity of the idea. Isabel shook her head. "No, that's not it."

"Well then why, Isabel? Why can't you be happy for me?"

"Because I'm in love with you! All right?"

Kyle stood immobilized, staring at Isabel in shock. He knew his jaw was practically on the floor, but he couldn't have done anything about it if he tried.

Did the girl of his dreams just tell him that she was in love with him?

Surely this was some cruel trick of fate. He'd been silently pining away for Isabel for years now, and it was just too good to be true that she would return his feelings.

He stared at her, time seemingly at a standstill. Her chest was heaving as she seemed to be fighting for breath, and her eyes were wide and shining with vulnerability. Neither of them said anything as the weight of her confession settled down around them.

Then Kyle did the only thing he could think of. He bridged the short distance between their bodies and crashed his lips against hers.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

jbangelo
Administrator

Re: Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) Part 2 - 11/15/08

Post by jbangelo »

Thanks for reading, Destiny! :D

III.

Isabel nearly stumbled backwards from the force of Kyle's kiss. She reacted instinctively, wrapping her arms around his neck and parting her lips. His arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her body tightly against his.

Her breathing was labored as his lips trailed along her jaw line and down to her neck. Every inch of her skin felt like it was on fire. It had been so long since she'd been touched like this, and the fact that it was Kyle's hands and lips on her body just made it that much sweeter.

Isabel felt her backside bump the edge of the kitchen table, and without missing a beat, Kyle grabbed her by the hips and effortlessly lifted her up so that she was sitting on its surface. His hands slid under the edge of her blouse, touching the smooth skin of her stomach, and slowly inched upwards until he was cupping her breast. Isabel moaned and arched her body into him.

She grappled with the buttons on Kyle's shirt, and he helped her get them undone and she pushed the garment off his shoulders, letting it fall to the floor unheeded. In the back of her mind, Isabel knew that they should probably talk about this first, and she didn't know what had come over her. All she knew was that she didn't want Kyle to stop touching her.

Kyle knew, too, that things were moving too fast, but his brain wasn't exactly winning out at present. He'd wanted Isabel for so long, had dreamed so many nights of confessing his love for her, that he didn't want this moment to end. And when he heard his name fall from her lips in a breathy whisper, he felt as though he'd died and gone to heaven.

Wrapping her legs around his waist, he picked her up and carried her the short distance to their bedroom, kicking the door shut behind him. Their lips barely lost contact as they tumbled onto the bed.

Clothes were starting to disappear at an alarming rate, and in a last-ditch effort to listen to the logical side of his brain, Kyle whispered against Isabel's ear, "Iz, are you sure? Tell me to stop and I will."

"I don't want you to stop," Isabel answered breathlessly. She ran her hands along his chest and down to his stomach, stopping at the waistband of his jeans. She tugged gently on the button, indicating that she wanted this just as much as he did.

And that was all the convincing Kyle needed.

Hours later, she could still feel the lingering effects of his hands on her body, touching her everywhere and bringing her to new heights of pleasure. Their lovemaking had been more than anything her dreams or fantasies could have ever conjured up. As she lingered somewhere between sleep and wakefulness, she could still imagine his body moving against hers, could still hear his whispered words of passion in her ears.

Finally coming awake, Isabel blinked against the late afternoon sunshine that filtered in through the curtains, and for a brief moment, she wondered if she had been dreaming after all. She was alone in the bed, a throw blanket draped loosely over her nude body. Her lack of clothing was the only evidence of the earlier escapades. The clothes she'd been wearing were neatly folded on the dresser, and Kyle's clothes were nowhere to be seen.

And Kyle himself was absent as well.

With a frown, Isabel tossed the covers aside and rose from the bed. She promptly pulled on some clean clothes and checked her reflection in the mirror. A quick wave of her hand freshened her appearance, and she set out in search of Kyle. They had to talk about this. They'd both gotten caught up in the heat of the moment, and while Isabel didn't exactly regret what had happened between them, she needed to know how he felt about it - how he felt about her - and what it meant for their relationship.

She could hear the sound of the television coming from the living room, so she headed in that direction, only to be instantly greeted with the sight of her brother and sister-in-law making out on the couch.

"Oh my god!" Isabel exclaimed, dramatically throwing her hands up to cover her eyes. "You know, you two have a bedroom!"

Liz and Max abruptly separated at Isabel's outburst, both of them looking equally embarrassed. "Sorry, Isabel," Liz apologized sheepishly, sitting up and adjusting her top.

"I didn't know anyone else was home," Max explained lamely, his cheeks a bright red.

"Whatever," Isabel responded absently, avoiding looking either of them in the eye. "Do you know where Kyle is?"

"Not sure," Liz answered. "Nora came by about half an hour ago and he left with her. They didn't say where they were going."

Isabel instantly felt the sting of tears behind her eyelids, and she blinked rapidly to keep them at bay. He was out with her? After what had happened between them? Isabel didn't know what to make of that. Did he regret what happened? Was it just a roll in the hay for him? She suddenly felt like she was going to be sick.

"Iz, are you okay?" Max asked, breaking Isabel out of her thoughts.

"Fine," Isabel responded weakly, plastering on a fake smile. "I'll be in my room."

Isabel fled their prying eyes, barely making it to the safety of her bedroom before tears were streaming down her face. Damn him! Damn Kyle Valenti and all his charms for making her fall for him and then tearing her heart into a million pieces! She sat down on the edge of the bed, dropping her head into her hands.

A moment later, a gentle knock sounded at the door and Liz poked her head in. "Isabel?" she questioned softly. "Can I come in?"

Isabel quickly swiped at the tear tracks on her face, trying to erase the evidence of her breakdown. "Shouldn't you be making out with my brother?" she joked feebly.

Liz chuckled and stepped into the room, softly shutting the door behind her. "I thought maybe you might need someone to talk to," she explained.

"Why would you think that?" She was attempting to sound nonchalant, but failed miserably.

"Just call it woman's intuition," Liz said with a small smile, moving to sit next to Isabel on the bed. She paused, as if unsure of what to say next, before getting right to the point. "You were pretty hard on Nora this morning."

Isabel decided not to play innocent like she had with Kyle, because she had a sneaking suspicion that Liz would see right through her act. In fact, she felt fairly certain that Liz already knew why she had been so hard on Nora. She ran her hands through her hair and looked at the ceiling. "Yeah, I feel bad about that," Isabel said remorsefully. "She really was a nice girl. She didn't deserve to be ambushed by me like that. I just... every time Kyle looked at her I just wanted to rip her hair out. I don't know what came over me."

Liz nodded and gave her sister-in-law a compassionate smile. "If it makes you feel any better, it's perfectly normal to be jealous. I mean, to be as close as you and Kyle are."

"It's more than that," Isabel said softly.

"I thought so," Liz said, nodding again. After a beat, she asked, "Does Kyle know how you feel?"

"He does now," Isabel responded wryly. "He was really mad at me for being so mean to Nora, but I thought that after..." she trailed off, not wanting to finish what she'd been about to say.

"Did something happen?" Liz asked.

Isabel could feel the blush flooding her face, and Liz caught on almost immediately. "Ohhh," she said knowingly.

Isabel heaved a deep sigh. "We got into this huge fight after you guys left, at the end of which I told him I loved him, and the next thing I knew, we were all over each other."

"And now you regret it," Liz said, more of a statement than a question.

"Not exactly. I don't know," Isabel said, sighing again. "It's just... what if it was just sex for him?"

Liz placed a comforting hand on her arm. "Isabel, you and I both know that Kyle's not that kind of guy. Especially not when it comes to you."

Isabel met her sister-in-law's dark eyes. "What do you mean?"

Liz smiled and said, "I've seen the way Kyle looks at you sometimes. I'd be very surprised if he didn't return your feelings."

Isabel wanted very much to believe that, but she couldn't overlook one glaringly obvious fact. Tears once again forming in her eyes, she asked, "If that's true, then why is he out with Nora right now instead of here with me?"

jbangelo
Administrator

Re: Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) Part 3 - 11/17/08

Post by jbangelo »

Would I lie? ;)

IV.

"Thanks for stopping by," Kyle said as he opened the door to meet Nora.

"So, you said we needed to talk."

"Care to go for coffee?"

Nora shrugged. "I certainly didn't get any this morning," she said. She smiled when she saw Kyle squirm.

"Let me just tell the others I'm leaving, and I'll be back."

Nora waited as Kyle spoke to Liz, then followed him down the hall and into the elevator.

Walking in silence, both Kyle and Nora glanced at the other when they thought they weren't looking. Neither wanted to be the first to start this conversation, though both knew it had to be started.

Reaching the coffee shop, Kyle and Nora walked to the counter and ordered their coffee, then Kyle paid while Nora walked to a corner table and sat down. Kyle joined her a minute later, and both sat still, staring into their steaming mugs.

"So, your family is very... interesting," Nora said.

Kyle nodded. "Yeah. We're a weird bunch. But we understand each other. And we love each other."

"I got that," Nora said. "Isabel is, um... nice. I'm glad she's okay with us dating and all that," she said sarcastically.

Kyle's eyes widened at the sarcasm in Nora's statement. He had to tell her. It wasn't fair to her - or to Isabel. "Listen, Nora," he started. "I am going to apologize for how Isabel acted towards you."

Nora smiled knowingly. "I wondered if you were going to take up for me. But I get the feeling Isabel isn't an easy person to talk to when she's upset."

"That's an understatement," Kyle muttered.

"So, as for dinner tonight--"

"Listen Nora-"

"-the restaurant opens at seven and reservations are at seven thirty. But I'll have to be early, because the line at the door will form early. I'm really looking forward to going."

"There's something-wait, you are?"

Nora nodded. "I've been waiting to get into this restaurant for weeks. Jennifer from down the hall is going in your place. Since you'll be here with Isabel and all."

Relief flooded Kyle's face, and Nora almost giggled at the relaxation in his features. "Jennifer? That's good. I wasn't going to make you go by yourself. But I would have had to - wait. What did you say?"

Nora rolled her eyes as what she had said finally sunk in. "Look, Kyle. You talk about her all the time. I was a little jealous at first, so I was excited to meet her. But the minute I saw the two of you together, and the way you look at each other, I knew that I was fighting a losing battle. It's obvious, even to me, how much the two of you care about each other. I just wonder why you were wasting your time with me, when Isabel was right in your own home the entire time."

Kyle squinted his eyes. "Were we giving off brain waves or something?"

"More like heatwaves," she answered.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm a woman, Kyle. I could tell the minute I saw you two look at each other, even though she was ill because I was there, and you were ill because she was embarrassing you, that there was more to you two than meets the eye. Women tend to notice the little things."

Kyle shifted in his seat, and shook his head. "I'm sorry, Nora. Regardless of what you think of me, I really did think that we could have something. I thought that the feelings I have for Isabel would always be... unrequited. And I like you, I really do. We have a lot in common, we have a lot to talk about, and we have fun together. But..."

"But," she said, drawing the word out. "I'm not Isabel."

Kyle shrugged. "I can't be with you. I can't be with anyone, actually. I love her."

Nora smiled sadly. "I won't say that I'm not hurt. Because I am. If not so much my feelings, then definitely, my pride. But if anything has come of this, I hope we can still be friends," she said hopefully.

Kyle stood up, walked around the table, and gave her a quick hug. "Of course we can still be friends, Nora. And one day, when you're up to it, I'd like to introduce you, properly, to Isabel. I think you two could be friends yourselves."

Nora stood up and grabbed her purse. "Will I have to bring my own coffee?"

Kyle laughed out loud then and stepped back to let her walk in front of him out the door. "I can promise you that Isabel will be so embarrassed the next time you meet her, that she'll probably offer you the whole freaking pot."

Nora giggled herself as she and Kyle turned down the street back towards their building.

"Thanks, Nora," Kyle said as they walked.

"For what?"

Kyle smiled. "For being my friend."

Kyle slipped back into the apartment after his surprisingly pleasant chat with Nora. He couldn't wait to talk to Isabel. He felt like he was minutes away from having all his dreams come true.

"Hey, Kyle," Liz greeted him when he walked through the door.

"Hey," he answered absent-mindedly.

"Isabel was looking for you," she told him. "She's in the bedroom."

"Thanks," Kyle responded, heading in that direction.

"Oh, Kyle?" He turned around and looked at Liz, and she was holding a white shirt in her hands. "Are you missing a shirt? I found it on the kitchen floor."

Kyle cocked his head to the side. Was that...? Yep, it was the shirt he'd been wearing earlier in the day. He felt a blush rising in his cheeks.

Liz was smirking at him like she knew something. Surely Isabel hadn't told her. Nah, he was just being paranoid. He grabbed the shirt from Liz's hands, mumbled a thanks, and fled to the bedroom. But he was pretty sure he heard her giggling as he escaped.

Isabel was in the bedroom, lying on the bed and facing the wall, when she heard Kyle come into the room and shut the door behind him. On impulse, she closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep.

She felt the bed shift beneath his weight as he sat down. Agonizing silence filled the room for what felt like an eternity until Kyle finally spoke. "I know you're awake," he said. "If you were asleep, you'd be snoring," he added, an attempt at humor.

"Funny," Isabel replied somberly.

Awkward silence filled the room once again, and Isabel had no idea what to say to him after what had happened between them that afternoon and his subsequent disappearance. She couldn't even turn around to look at him.

"Where've you been?" she finally asked, hoping to sound casual, but she was pretty sure she just sounded pathetic.

"I was with Nora," Kyle answered honestly, and Isabel squeezed her eyes shut to hold back her tears for what felt like the millionth time that day.

"I told her that I couldn't see her anymore," he said simply.

Isabel's eyes popped open, but she continued facing the wall. "Why'd you do that?" she asked meekly.

"I didn't think I should date her anymore... considering I'm in love with someone else and all."

Isabel's heart slammed against her chest, but she still couldn't bring herself to look at him. Did he really mean that? Or was it just what he thought he should say after what had happened between them?

She heard Kyle sigh behind her. "Isabel, would you turn around and look at me, please?" he asked in slight exasperation. "Did you hear what I said?"

Isabel slowly sat up and turned around to face him. "Kyle," she said evenly. "Don't say that just because you think it's what I want to hear."

Kyle shook his head and said, "I'm not." Studying her face for a moment, he asked, "Have you been crying?"

"No," Isabel lied.

"You have," Kyle argued, seeing right through her facade. "What's going on, Iz?" he asked in concern.

"You left me here, alone!" Isabel exclaimed, and Kyle's eyes widened at her sudden outburst. "I gave myself to you, Kyle, totally and completely. And I'm not just talking about the sex part. You of all people should know what a big deal that is for me. And then I wake up, and you're gone, and Liz tells me you've gone off with Nora. What was I supposed to think?"

Realization dawned on Kyle's face. "Oh, god," he said sorrowfully. "Iz, I am so sorry. I didn't even think about..." he trailed off. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

Isabel's face softened at his apology and the genuinely remorseful look that crossed his features. Of course she knew that Liz was right - Kyle wasn't the "love 'em and leave 'em" type.

Kyle reached out and gently touched a lock of her golden hair. "I'm sorry, Isabel," he said softly. "I didn't mean to hurt you, or make you question how I feel about you. When you told me how you felt today, I should have told you that I love you, too. That I've wanted this - I've wanted you - for so long."

Isabel looked at him in surprise. "You have?"

Locking gazes with her, Kyle made his confession. "Iz, I've been in love with you since before we left Roswell."

Isabel felt like her heart had stopped, utterly astounded at his admission. He'd had feelings for her for that long, and never said a word? How could she not have known? She simply stared at him wide-eyed, completely speechless.

Kyle gave her an amused half-smile. "I think it was the night you made me watch Rudolph's Shiny New Year. Right after our 'not kiss' on the hood of that car."

"Not kiss?" Isabel asked, one eyebrow raised. What in the world was he talking about?

Kyle held up his hand. "Long story. I'll tell you about it sometime."

"Kyle, why-"

"I never said anything... well, for a lot of reasons," Kyle explained. "But mostly, I just never in a million years thought that you could ever feel the same way about me."

"Kyle..." Isabel nearly laughed out loud at the irony. "I never said anything because I didn't think you'd feel the same way."

Kyle grinned at her. "So I guess we should always be honest with each other, huh?" He timidly reached out and grasped her hand in his, lacing their fingers together. "So, uh, how long... how long have you felt this way?" he asked.

"I don't know exactly," Isabel admitted, looking down at their joined hands. "One day we were hanging out, you know, like we always do, and I happened to look at you, and I just knew, you know?"

Kyle nodded in understanding, squeezing her hand. "God, I can't believe this is really happening," Kyle mused, touching her hair again. "I feel like I'm gonna wake up any minute, and this will all be a dream."

"It's not a dream," Isabel said softly with a shake of her head.

Kyle leaned in and kissed her then, slow and sweet, a complete contrast to the way he'd practically attacked her earlier in the day. When he pulled away, he looked into her eyes and said the words he'd been wanting to say to her for nearly three years. "I love you, Isabel."

She smiled as tears of happiness gathered in her eyes. "I love you, Kyle."

jbangelo
Administrator

Re: Explosions of Green (UC,K/I,MATURE) Part 4 - 11/19/08

Post by jbangelo »

Thanks, Destiny. Christian and I both might be a little bit in love with Kyle. ;)

This is it, folks. The final part! Thanks for reading.

V.

“Kyle, hands off!”

Kyle drew back his hand just as Isabel slapped at him, missing by centimeters.

“I was just going to taste it. Wait…what is it anyway?”

“It’s a mini-quiche. Spinach and feta cheese. And I only made 24 of them. No eating before the guests arrive!”

Kyle looked towards the other counter where a shiny silver tray filled with more quiches sat. “Isabel, there’s two dozen more over there,” Kyle said with a pout.

“Those are bacon and cheese. No eating those either.”

Kyle gave her a funny look and pulled open the refrigerator door. “I’ll just get something else then.”

“Don’t touch the strawberries, the whipped cream, or the vegetable tray. They’re for tonight, too.”

Kyle blew out a breath and shut the refrigerator door with a resounding thump. “What can I eat?”

Isabel stopped scurrying around the kitchen to look up at him, and Kyle grinned at her appearance. She had flour on her cheek, what looked like whip cream in her hair, and the front of her apron was covered with something he wasn’t sure of. He leaned back against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest.

“There’s Apple Jacks on the table, and milk in the fridge. Eat that to hold you over until they get here.”

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Isabel was moving around the kitchen again, obviously working hard to get things done.

“Isabel, it’s just a few friends from the building.”

“So?” she replied, trying to act nonchalant.

“So, why the hustle and bustle? I’ve never seen you so…worked up before.”

Isabel stopped at the counter opposite Kyle, her back towards him. “Nora’s going to be here.”

“She’s okay with us, you know. She understands. And we’re friends. She wants to be friends with you, too.”

Isabel turned around then, so fast it almost startled Kyle. Her eyes were round and filled with tears. “Kyle, I was so horrible to her! Last time she was here, I was so rude, and so indifferent, it scared me. It was like, the person I used to be was back, and everyone was going to hate me for it.”

Kyle smiled and stepped across to pull Isabel against his chest. “Isabel, sweetheart, no one hates you. You were upset. It was a defense mechanism. Nora said it was a woman thing. She said she understands. You don’t have to go out of your way to apologize. I apologized for you. She said she would do the same thing in your shoes.”

Isabel looked at him hopefully.

Kyle grinned, almost feeling bad for making a joke. “Not really, but I know any woman would. I mean, who would give up this sexy piece of man candy without a fight?”

Isabel groaned, and lowered her head. “Kyyyylllle!” Isabel whined. “It’s just….I’m so embarrassed!”

Kyle put his hand under her chin and lifted it gently. “Don’t worry about it. She’s going to love you. Everyone loves you. Especially me.”

“She doesn’t hate me?” Isabel asked tentatively, bringing her arms up to wrap around Kyle’s waist.

“No. If anything she’s probably scared. You know, afraid you’ll blast her with your alien rays.”

Isabel drew back from Kyle, intent on letting him have it and lighting in to him when she saw the hint of humor in his eyes. She settled for a quick slap on his chest instead. “Kyle Valenti, that’s not funny.”

“It made you mad for like, a second, though, didn’t it? You’re so hot when you’re mad.”

Isabel giggled. “You are insatiable.”

“Only when I’m with you, Iz. Only you.”

Isabel threw her arms around Kyle’s neck, unable to stay away from him for a minute longer. He always knew how to make her feel better. Kyle picked her up and sat her on the counter, carefully avoiding the trays of food, and stepped between her legs to get closer.

When Liz walked into the kitchen five minutes later, that’s how she found them, hot and heavy on the kitchen counter.

“You guys! First the table, now the counter. I swear, you better sterilize every single surface in this kitchen when you’re done!”

Kyle pulled his mouth away and turned his head, but didn’t step away from Isabel. His mouth was open, and the ends of his ears were beginning to turn pink. He turned back to Isabel. “You told her!”

Isabel shrugged and tried to hide a smile. “Kyle, she found your shirt on the kitchen floor. I didn’t tell her anything.”

“She didn’t deny it either,” Liz said with a giggle.

Kyle rolled his eyes and kissed Isabel lightly on the lips, then stepped away so she could jump down.

“Give me a break, Parker. We’ve watched you and Max all over each other for years. We’re going to get it on right here in front of you, and it still won’t be enough payback for the damage you guys inflicted on the rest of us.”

“We are not!” Isabel said.

“It’s Evans now, thank you, Kyle,” Liz said, fighting back a giggle at Isabel’s horrified expression.

“Kidding, Iz,” Kyle said. Isabel visibly relaxed and Kyle grinned as he walked backwards out of the kitchen. “Unless you really want to…”

Isabel picked up a mini quiche and hurled it at Kyle’s head, just as he rounded the doorway into the hall.

“Does that mean I can eat this one?” he hollered back.

Isabel and Liz took one look at each other and burst out laughing.

The doorbell rang, and Kyle got up to answer it. Isabel took a quick glance at herself in the wall mirror, and went to greet the visitors.

“Nora, it’s good to see you. Come in!”

Isabel turned towards the other woman, wringing her hands around the dish towel she held as Nora made her way in the door. Kyle took her coat, and laid it over the back of the couch as they made small talk, and the others came to say hello.

“She isn’t going to bite,” Liz said as she sauntered past Isabel.

Isabel narrowed her eyes as Liz entered the kitchen, then took a deep breath.

“Isabel,” Nora said as she turned to see the woman who had stepped up to Kyle’s side.

“Nora,” Isabel said nodding her head briefly. “I’m glad you could come,” she said.

Nora smiled sincerely and nodded her head. “Thank you, Isabel.”

Isabel watched as Nora rubbed her hands together.

“Are you thirsty?” Isabel asked. “We have a full refrigerator.”

Nora smiled. “No, thanks. I just downed a bottle of water about fifteen minutes ago.”

Isabel nodded. “Oh. Okay. Um, coffee, then? I’ll even make it for you this time.”

Nora giggled then, and shook her head. “I’m fine for now.”

“Well, if you’re hungry, we have quiche, fresh strawberries and whipped cream, a vegetable tray—”

“Actually, Isabel, I’m fine. Really,” Nora said, interrupting Isabel’s sentence.

Isabel motioned towards the chair behind her, and picked up the decorative pillow propped on the cushion. She pretended to fluff it, then set it back down. “You can have a seat here,” Isabel said. “I just have a few more things to finish off in the kitchen.”

“I wouldn’t want to sit in your seat, Isabel. I have a camping chair out in the hallway I’ll bring in.”

If Isabel hadn’t been so distracted with trying to please Nora, she would have caught the teasing tone in her voice. Instead, she nodded mutely and made a bee-line for the kitchen.

Kyle found her standing at the kitchen counter a couple minutes later, wiping it down.

“Isabel, babe, it’s clean.”

Isabel whirled around and dropped the rag at her feet. “Kyle, she thinks I’m an awful person! I was so rude to her! I thought she had snagged my man, so I got all possessive and I just went overboard! I was ready to throw darts at her picture, and flatten her tires! I am an awful person! And now, she doesn’t want coffee, and she doesn’t even want to eat my quiche!”

“I’ll eat your quiche, Isabel.”

Isabel groaned and put her hands over her face.

Kyle snickered. He’d never seen Isabel so worried over what someone else thought about her.

“Listen, Iz. Just because she isn’t thirsty, and doesn’t want to eat your little spinach thingies, doesn’t mean she hates you,” Kyle said, reaching out to rub his hand down the length of her arm. “Wait,” he said, his hand stopping at her wrist. “Would you really flatten someone’s tires for me?”

Isabel dropped her hands, intending to glare at him. Instead, she saw his crooked little grin, and her eyes softened. She let her eyes wander the length of his body, then back up to his face, his eyes staring at her intently. She could see them sparkling with amusement, shining with love. For her. How had she gotten so lucky? She watched his eyebrow raise in anticipation.

“What?” he asked when he saw her grin.

“What did I ever do to deserve you?”

He made a big show of acting like he was concentrating and searching for an answer, and she shoved him playfully. He grabbed her and pulled her body flush with his.

“We’re just lucky, I guess,” he said as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Are you okay, Isabel?”

She nodded her head. “Oh, I’m fine. Just embarrassed.”

“All you can do is apologize. She’s a cool girl, Iz.”

Isabel took a deep breath and kissed Kyle on the lips. “Well, here goes.”

“Can I help with anything?” Isabel turned when she heard a voice from the doorway, and abruptly pulled away from Kyle when she saw that it was Nora.

“Um…” Isabel mumbled, running her hands down her front as if smoothing the nonexistent wrinkles out of her blouse. Kyle suppressed a chuckle. He still couldn’t believe how worked up she was getting over this whole situation. But he couldn’t deny that he got a small amount of satisfaction knowing that it was all about him. Just a few days ago, a relationship with Isabel had been nothing more than a fantasy. He could hardly believe that he hadn’t dreamed it all up.

“Actually, I think Isabel could use some help with the fruit and vegetables, couldn’t you, Iz?” Kyle asked, raising an eyebrow at his new girlfriend. “Oh, what’s that, Michael?” Kyle turned to an imaginary voice coming from the living room. “Be right there!” He made his escape.

Isabel could have killed him, but Nora just shook her head and laughed. “He’s not much for subtlety, is he?”

Isabel relaxed a little bit, a small smile crossing her face when she said, “No, he never has been.”

“What can I carry?” Nora asked, looking at the array of appetizers that littered the kitchen counter. Isabel suddenly felt ridiculous for making so much food for so little people.

“Nora, I’m sorry,” she blurted out abruptly.

“Isabel, you don’t—”

“No, I do,” Isabel said, cutting Nora off. “I was so awful to you the other day, and you didn’t deserve it. God, I can’t imagine what you must think of me. I am so, so sorry.”

“Isabel, really, no hard feelings.” Nora was being so nice that it was almost making Isabel feel worse for how badly she’d behaved. “I should have known better, anyway.”

Isabel looked at Nora curiously. “What do you mean?” she asked.

“From the first day I met Kyle, he talked incessantly about his ‘best friend, Isabel,’” she said, making air quotes with her fingers for emphasis. “Even before I met you the other day, I suspected that there was more there than friendship. I guess I just needed to see it for myself. He’s absolutely crazy about you, Isabel.”

“I just don’t want you to get hurt…” Isabel started.

“Please!” Nora said with a wave of her hand. “We went on a couple of dates! I mean it, no hard feelings.”

“Really?” Isabel asked. Nora was making this way too easy. She felt like she deserved to be punched for her horrible actions.

“Really,” Nora confirmed. “I’d like it if we could be friends.” She held out her hand to Isabel, the universal gesture of friendship, and Isabel couldn’t help but laugh nervously.

She shook Nora’s hand and smiled. “Friends,” she repeated. “I guess I should thank you, too.”

“For what?” Nora asked.

“Well, if it weren’t for you, I might have never told Kyle how I felt about him,” Isabel explained. “So thanks. For helping me realize what I was missing out on.”

“Well, you’re welcome,” Nora responded graciously. “Besides, anyone can look at you two together and see how crazy you are about each other. I wouldn’t ever want to stand in the way of that.”

“Thanks for being so nice, Nora. I really don’t deserve it.”

“The green monster makes us to do crazy things, huh?”

“You can say that again,” Isabel said with a laugh.

“Well, let’s get this food to the masses, shall we?” Nora said, picking up a vegetable tray.

Isabel and Nora gathered the food and went to join their friends in the living room. After greeting everyone that had arrived, Isabel joined Kyle on the other side of the room, situating herself on his lap.

“Everything okay?” he asked.

She smiled at him and said, “Everything is great. You were right. She’s cool.”

“Told ya,” Kyle said with a self-satisfied smirk.

Isabel stroked Kyle’s cheek affectionately with the back of her hand. “I love you,” she told him softly.

“Me, too,” Kyle responded, his smile lighting up his whole face. He leaned in and kissed her.

“Hey, cut it out, you two,” Michael said, and Isabel turned her head just in time for a throw pillow to hit her lightly in the face. “We’re gonna have to enforce some rules about PDA around here,” he grumbled.

“Shut up, Michael,” Isabel retorted good-naturedly, throwing the pillow back at him. Nothing could ruin her mood right now.

If anyone had told her two years ago that this was how things would turn out, she wouldn’t have believed it. But now, as she sat in the company of Kyle and her family and her new friends, a feeling of contentment washed over her. She was, without a doubt, the happiest she’d ever been.

THE END