Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature)[COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 9 12/06/08

Post by Midwest Max »

Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for being patient while I dealt with the flu and the holidays. The pieces are going to start being revealed in the next parts, including what happened the day the aliens were supposed to have left earth. In this part, Michael reveals a secret of his own ;)

Part Ten

Dead.

Maria stared down at the surface of her vanity, her eyes not seeing anything before them. It was inconceivable that Tess Harding was dead, and had been dead for the last ten years. It was even harder to believe that Max Evans had killed her and her unborn child.

But there hadn’t been a child, had there? Wasn’t that what Liz had said? Maria grimaced and rubbed her forehead. She wished she’d reacted better when Liz had told her Max had murdered Tess – Maria had been so shocked that she hadn’t taken in much after that. Something about the pod chamber and the granilith and an explosion…or something. Now that she was over the initial shock, she wanted Liz to tell her slowly, like she was a four-year-old, all that had taken place on that day so many years ago.

Of course, part of the shock was due to the fact that Maria realized how useless her hatred of Tess had been. How many hours, days, weeks had she spent mentally enacting the day that she’d see Tess again? Oh, how she’d had plans to take her hatred out on that little bitch! Sometimes thoughts of slapping the crap out of Tess had kept Maria awake at night, anger and anticipating creating an unsettling vibe within her. Now she knew that while she’d been fantasizing about revenge, Tess Harding was more dead than dead. What a waste…

Nice ring.

The words still echoed inside of Maria’s head, were bouncing around in there for what seemed an eternity. It wasn’t so much the words but the way they were spoken - with spite, sure, but also with something else. That something else had been in his eyes as well. Pain? Loss? Remorse? For a brief moment, it touched her that he was sad she’d moved on.

But that moment was fleeting and was quickly replaced with anger. What did he expect? He’d pretty much lied to her for ten years, acted like he was either off the planet or dead. Did he think she’d sit around and pine for him anyway?

But she had, hadn’t see? She looked up and met her own gaze in the mirror. There was no hiding from the truth. While fantasizing about harming Tess had kept her up, so had fantasies of reuniting with Michael. She’d dated a few guys here and there and while she’d kicked up the commitment a notch with Jesse, somewhere in the back of her mind she was waiting. Waiting for a day like today.

Her eyes fell back to the ring on her finger and slowly she slid it off, held it between her thumb and forefinger. The light danced off it, oblivious to her gloom.

“I hope you’re not reconsidering.”

The words were said lightly, but Maria could detect the uncertainty underlying them. She turned to find Jesse standing in the doorway, his hands shoved into the pockets of his Hugo Boss suit pants. She offered him the best smile she could muster at the moment.

“How long have you been standing there?” she asked.

“Long enough,” he said gently, then entered the room and came to stand before her. “I don’t know why you’ve been sad. I can’t even pretend to venture a guess. I know it can’t be the thing with Liz’s aunt – you barely knew her.”

Maria looked down at her hands, slid the ring back into place. Her actions were only a means to avoid his eyes.

“If you ever need to talk,” he continued. “About anything – even if it’s something I don’t want to hear – you know you can, right?”

She nodded without looking up.

“Good.” He paused a moment, then moved for his closet. “Since you seem glum, let’s do something to cheer you up.”

Her brow furrowed as she looked at him questioningly.

“Get changed,” he grinned. “Wear something casual.”

*~*~*~*~*

Liz finished emptying her suitcase and stood back to survey the two piles of laundry she’d created. It never ceased to amaze her that when she when to visit Max, the “dirty” pile was always shorter than the “clean” pile. Then again, when she went to visit Max she really didn’t spend much time in her clothes.

She sighed as she remembered that it could be a very long time before she would see Max again. She knew as soon as Michael and Isabel were gone from the apartment, he would have packed up his belongings and headed for a new place to roost. It was uncertain whether he would have stayed local or would have gone to an extreme. Maybe tonight, after she went to sleep, she’d dreamwalk him and find out where he went. It was her only consolation.

As she moved to put away her clean clothes, she heard a rap on the window. Startled, she jerked her head that way and nearly dropped her laundry. Outside of the window, she found Isabel looking expectant. For some reason, that really irritated her. Depositing the clothes on top of her dresser, Liz walked to the window and hoisted it open.

“Can I come in?” Isabel asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

“I have a door,” Liz said, trying to hide the irritation in her voice and failing.

Isabel glanced around the spacious bedroom. “Oh.”

“Unless you want to climb in through the window?”

“Um, no, I’ll go around front.”

Liz slid the window shut without reply, then looked to the floor and counted to ten before going to open the front door of her apartment for her guest. When they were teenagers, they never used doors, preferring windows so as maybe not to be seen coming or going. But now they were adults, Liz had her own place, what was the point? But she knew old habits died hard and being hostile wasn’t going to help matters.

When she opened the front door, she found Isabel looking sheepish.

“Sorry about that,” Isabel said, her cheeks flushed slightly. “Force of habit.”

“It’s okay,” Liz said in resignation, stepping out of Isabel’s way so she could enter.

The alien looked around the large living room. “Wow, this is a nice place, Liz.”

“Thanks.” Did she want something?

Isabel shifted her weight, worked her hands together. “Look, I’ll just get right to the point. I need to see Kyle.”

At that, Liz gave a burst of laughter. “Um, no.”

Isabel’s brow furrowed. “Why not?”

“Because he doesn’t want to see you, Isabel. You guys just about wrecked him. He doesn’t want to see any of you.”

“I didn’t say I wanted to see him, Liz. I said I needed to see him.”

Now Liz looked confused. “Why?”

“At the airport Maria said he was sick again. Sick as in how?”

Liz paused for a moment, then frowned slightly. “I don’t think Kyle would want me to share his business with you. Would you like something to drink?”

She started to move toward the kitchen, more as a means to rid herself of the conversation than to be hospitable, when Isabel reached out and took her by the arm. Liz looked down at the other woman’s hand, then met her eyes with waning patience.

“I need to know what happened before we went to the pod chamber,” Isabel said. “I need to know if Tess did anything to Kyle.”

Most of the animosity rushed out of Liz’s body and Isabel slowly released her grip.

“Why?” Liz asked.

“Just tell me. I really don’t know what you and Maria found out during the time when we were preparing to leave.”

Liz hesitated, then let out a sigh. “From what Kyle told us, Tess mindwarped him into carrying Alex’s body to his car the night she killed him.”

Isabel paled. “Liz, has he been having headaches?”

“Yeah. How did you know?”

The blonde alien rubbed her forehead. “Did you and Max ever talk or did you spend all of your time in bed?” she said in exhaustion.

Liz recoiled. “Isabel –that’s none of your business.”

Isabel dropped her hand and regarded Liz steadily. “Tess mindwarped Alex to death, Liz. And now I’m worried that she harmed Kyle as well.”

*~*~*~*~*

“Mmmm, I think I’ll have a rocket launcher,” Jesse said, slapping his menu shut and giving the waitress a toothy smile.

She wasn’t impressed. “And you?” she said to Maria.

“The low fat frozen yogurt with a side of fresh fruit,” Maria said, then caught Jesse’s disapproving look. “Scratch that. Hot fudge sundae with extra whipped cream.”

The waitress moved away and Jesse beamed at his fiancé.

“See?” he said. “This place always makes you fell better.”

She pasted on a grin and glanced around the Crashdown, which hadn’t changed much over the years. The place didn’t necessarily make her feel “better”, but it did bring back old memories. Like right over there for instance – that was the spot where Michael kissed her for the first time, just to calm her down…

“And so does ice cream,” she said to Jesse as a means to quell the other memories threatening to resurface. “Listen, I was thinking.”

“Yeah?” He pushed their menus back into their spot behind the napkin dispenser.

“Maybe we should look into Boston. I mean, maybe it’s time for a change.”

Jesse watched her warily. “What brought this on?”

“Nothing. I’m just starting to realize that you’re right. We’re still young. We should be out roaming the world before we get too old or before we have kids or something. Meet new people, make new friends…” Her voice trailed off because she knew in her heart that she would never really be able to erase everything and everyone in Roswell from her life.

“Is this why you’ve been sad? Because you’ve been thinking of this?”

“I wouldn’t say sad,” she said quietly. “I’ve just been thinking a lot.”

He folded his napkin into his lap and with sad realization, Maria noted that Jesse had become so polished and successful that even in jeans and a T-shirt he looked distinguished. There was no “casual” for him anymore.

“Tell you what,” he began. “Why don’t we take a trip there? I’ll show you around the area, you can see what east coast life is like. And if you like it, we can go. If not, we come back and continue as we are.”

She started to smile, but that dropped away quickly as her eyes fell on the front door. Immediately her heart jerked in her chest and her blood started to boil. Nice ring.

Jesse caught her expression and looked over his shoulder. “Who’s that, honey?”

She was about to say that it was nobody in hopes that Michael had the sense to keep moving, but instead he started walking toward them. As he reached the end of the table, Maria explained and introduced at the same time.

“This is Michael,” she said, keeping her temper in check. “We went to school together.”

Michael’s eyes shifted to Jesse, then back to Maria.

“That’s Jesse. My fiancé.” She put a little extra stress on the last word, one that didn’t get past either man.

Michael held out his hand to Jesse. “Michael Guerin.”

Jesse took it and shook, though Maria could see confusion beneath the surface. “Jesse Ramirez.”

Maria was suddenly glad that Jesse looked expensive. In fact, it was all she could do not to gloat. Look how well I’ve done, Michael. Without you. She folded her arms on the table.

“Honey, guess who Michael is married to.”

Jesse shot her a confused look, tinged with just a little embarrassment at her behavior. “I wouldn’t know.”

Michael’s look was a little more desperate, a little bit pleading. “Maria, don’t.”

“Why not? Shouldn’t all of Roswell know? How long has is been? Nine, ten years?”

“I’m asking you,” he said in a strained voice. “Please don’t go any farther.”

Victory shined in Maria’s eyes as she looked to Jesse. “Seems like Michael here has eloped with – ”

She let out a squeak as Michael grabbed her by the arm and nearly dragged her from the booth. She tried to act indignant, but it was hard to do when she could feel his touch so firm and hot on her arm.

“Excuse us,” Michael mumbled to Jesse, then proceeded to drag Maria into the back room of the Crashdown. Just like old times.

Halfway there, indignation did indeed set in, probably because people were starting to stare at them. Not to mention that Jesse had to be baffled beyond belief.

“Let me go!” she protested.

“In a minute,” Michael said, pushing her through the swinging doors. When he released her, she spun on him.

“How dare you –”

“Shut up, Maria. I’ve only got a few seconds before Captain Incredible comes in to rescue you. You can’t tell people Isabel and I are married.”

“Why not?” she demanded.

“Because,” he said, “we’re not married. It’s only cover.”

And with that he gave her a look that spoke a thousand words, but a few rather prominently – How could you have doubted me?

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 10 12/31/08

Post by Midwest Max »

Part Eleven

The windshield of the BMW illuminated briefly in the streetlights of Roswell, dimmed momentarily and lit up again as they raced through the city streets. The car was silent, not even the radio playing for entertainment. The top was up, the air conditioner cranking out chilly air.

The ride to the Crashdown had been much different than the return trip. The top had been down, the warm night air had been whipping through their hair, and Jesse had been singing at the top of his lungs, attempting to lighten his fiancé’s mood. Now, he was gripping the wheel so tightly Maria thought he might stress fracture his fingers. Either that, or he was going to crack a few molars with the way he was clenching his teeth.

Not that she blamed him. Michael’s little display at the café had been anything but subtle. It wasn’t every day that a complete stranger dragged your bride-to-be out of the booth across from you and hauled her away. As Michael had predicted, Jesse had been hot on their heels, come to rescue his bride.

If only he’d come a split second later, perhaps he wouldn’t have seen the look on Michael’s face. Or on hers, for that matter. For there had been no hiding Michael’s pain or her complete devastation. Jesse was a smart man, trained to pick up the most subtle of clues in human behavior. She knew he knew Michael wasn’t just a friend from high school.

“Who was he?” Jesse asked, almost as if on cue. His voice was strained, barely contained.

Maria turned to look at him, his face intermittently light then dark in the passing lights.

“And don’t lie to me,” he warned.

“I knew him in high school,” Maria began, her voice sounding small and timid – she hated her apparent weakness immediately.

“I said no bullshit!” Jesse thundered, making her jump.

“I know you did,” she said quickly. “I wasn’t done.”

“I’ll finish for you,” Jesse said, eerie calmness in his tone. He glanced at her once and she nearly withdrew from the look in his eyes. “I’ll tell you what I saw. I saw hurt and anger in his eyes. I saw passion there, not simple familiarity. If he’s not a former lover, then I deserve to be disbarred.”

Maria looked into her lap, twisted her ring around her finger.

“Since Liz called yesterday, you’ve been dancing around like a cat with an itch it can’t reach. I don’t for one moment believe the story about her aunt mysteriously dying – I don’t even believe she has an aunt. I believe you lied to me, Maria. You’ve never lied to me before, why now?”

She realized his question was rhetorical and she was better off not saying a word.

“I thought it was just stress from preparing for the wedding. And maybe I’m right – maybe you’re stressed because Liz stumbled on this Guerin guy and now you don’t know what to do.”

Maria swallowed, felt like there was a softball stuck somewhere in her throat.

“So I – like a schmuck – decide to take you out to cheer you up and up pops this guy who grabs you and drags you into the back room of a restaurant where neither of you works. And I didn’t notice you fighting him for one moment, Maria. There wasn’t even a backward glance for me to help you. Do you know what it was like to sit there and witness that?”

She shook her head silently.

“It was my worst nightmare. Until I followed you. I saw the way you looked at him. And the way he looked at you. Friend from high school, my ass. So tell me – who was he? Was he a lover?”

Maria nodded.

“Was he?”

“Yes,” she answered, her voice small.

Jesse’s hands tightened on the wheel, to the point that the leather cried in protest. “When? Why didn’t you tell me about him? I thought I knew everyone in your past - you know everyone in mine. When did this guy come about? Why did you keep him secret?”

Inside, Maria cringed, her own words of criticism, directed at Liz, coming back to her. “It’s complicated.”

“Complicated? Theoretical physics is complicated, Maria. Your past relationship with Michael Guerin is not.”

The car came to a jerking halt and Maria looked up to see that Jesse had pulled up in front of their house. She looked at him quizzically, wondering why he hadn’t pulled into the drive.

Jesse swiveled in his seat to address her, his demeanor that of the master interrogator, homing in on the kill. “Are you sleeping with him now?”

Maria’s eyebrows shot up. “What? No!” Though her heart did skip a beat at the thought.

Jesse held her gaze until she looked away, then he motioned toward her door. “I’m not coming in.”

Her head whipped in his direction. “Why not?”

“I need to think. Good night.”

There was finality in his tone that made her question him no more. She climbed out of the car and stood on the sidewalk watching in turmoil as he tore off into the night.

*~*~*~*

Kyle sat on the edge of his bed, his head in his hands. The pain was worse than it had ever been, to the point that he was starting to pray for unconsciousness. Just once, during that awful “win a blind date” night that KROS had sponsored, he’d drank so much that he wished he were dead the following morning. The pain then had been only a fraction of what he was enduring at the moment.

There had been days when he’d thought of ending the pain permanently. There was no escaping the pressure in his head, something that was aggravated with every movement, every sound, every word he tried to speak. There were plenty of ways he could have an “accident” out in the shop, so maybe his father wouldn’t believe his only child had committed suicide. Because Jim was the last person he’d want to hurt.

Kyle shuddered then felt like sobbing. He lacked even the strength to off himself. He was stuck here, stuck in this hell, his head a throbbing mass atop his neck. A moment later, he cringed and clamped his hands over his ears – someone had wrenched open the bent metal back door of the garage, the sound nearly debilitating him.

“Kyle?”

The word was whispered, but it still drove daggers through his brain, even with his hands over his ears. There was a shadow across his eyelids – someone was standing before him. Taking a risk, he squinted open one eye, saw a blurry Liz Parker before him. But there was another shadow, standing toward the door. The squint became a crack and Kyle focused enough on his other visitor to make out long legs and short, reddish hair. As he tried to clear his vision, though, the short red hair morphed into long blonde hair, then back again.

“No,” he moaned, unable to flee. “No, no, no.” He fell slowly over onto his side, away from his guests, and pulled his knees up to his chest. Mercifully, the movement caused darkness to seep in from the corners and he slid into nothingness.

Behind him, Liz stood from her crouch and met Isabel’s eyes. The alien looked concerned, her brow furrowed deeply.

“I’ve never seen him this bad,” Liz admitted.

“He needs Max,” Isabel said, her voice filled with emotion and Liz wondered if she was about to cry, even though her outward appearance was strong.

“Isabel, if Max comes back here, he faces murder charges,” Liz reminded her. “You know that.”

She nodded, then her eyes shifted to their friend. “Then maybe we can take Kyle to him.”

Liz shook her head. “He won’t go. He hates Max, hates Michael. Probably isn’t too fond of you either, from the way he reacted.”

“But he’s going to die. It’s going to be – and has already has been – slow. I can’t sit by and watch this.”

They both fell silent, minds working to come up with a resolution.

“We need help,” Liz finally said.

“Maybe, but who?”

A small smile curved Liz’s lips. “I know just the person.”

*~*~*~*~*

In the morning, Maria found the house empty. Jesse had not returned as the BMW was not in the garage or drive. Afraid he’d been so angry that he’d wrapped the small convertible around a pole, she called the police department, the fire department and the hospital to make sure he hadn’t been admitted. No one had seen him. Which as a relief.

Until she got a sudden image of Jesse going on a bender, picking up a hooker and going to a motel.

Maria held her face in her hands. He had every right to be angry, but the most humiliating part for her was that he’d been accurate in all of his assumptions and observations. No wonder Phillip Evans was so intent on snaring him.

She caught her reflection in one of the sliding glass doors and felt like she was staring at a stranger. A lost stranger who didn’t know where to turn next. Her head was confused.

And one of the reasons she was so confused was that she didn’t know what had transpired to keep the aliens here on earth, or why Michael had been masquerading as Isabel’s husband, or why Max had killed Tess. Even though she dreaded the confrontation, she needed to get the answers.

*~*~*~*~*

Jim Valenti was stocking green and silver birthday party decorations when Liz entered Amy’s shop.

“Well, good morning Ms. Parker,” he said jovial, then stopped at the look on her face. “Is everything okay?”

She wrung her hands together and for a moment Jim saw her as a teenager, trying to approach him for help, her alien/hybrid boyfriend a captive of the FBI.

“I need your help,” she said, affirming his intuition. “It’s a matter of life and death.”

*~*~*~*~*

Maria pulled the Volvo to a stop in front of the Evans home and removed her sunglasses. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been here, not that she’d been here a lot in their high school years. In those days, she had been more interested in Michael’s ramshackle apartment than Max’s opulent home.

Sighing in dread, she pushed open the car door and walked to the front door. The doorbell sounded on the other side and she waited patiently, glanced around the neighborhood, remembered what it was like to think that she’d never live in a home as nice as these. Not that she was big on bragging, but she would bet that Jesse’s house was more expensive than any of these.

With a pang, she realized that “their” home had suddenly become “Jesse’s” home.

The door jerked open abruptly and Maria found herself looking into Isabel’s dark eyes. Surprisingly, there wasn’t any animosity behind them.

“I’m sorry,” Maria said before she could stop herself.

“For?” Isabel asked with a raised brow.

“Being a bitch yesterday.”

Isabel waved her off. “It happens.”

Maria didn’t know how to respond to that, so she looked at her feet, then back up. “Can I speak to Michael?”

“He’s not here.”

“Oh.” All of the anxiety rushed out of Maria’s body, making her feel exhausted and relieved at the same time. And disappointed, it was an odd mix.

“He went to pick up some stuff for breakfast,” Isabel explained. “Do you want to wait?”

Maria shook her head. “No, just tell him I stopped. Thanks.” She turned to leave.

“Maria?”

She turned back to the door.

“Just so you know, he was going to stay. For you.”

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 11 01/17/09

Post by Midwest Max »

Part Twelve

He was going to stay? For her? What did that mean? Didn’t they all end up staying? It was a bizarre thing for Isabel to have said, and Maria didn’t understand it one bit. Even more aggravating – she’d finally worked up her courage to confront Michael and he hadn’t even been home. It was just like him to be that inconsiderate.

Almost as if she’d said “Beetlejuice” three times, Michael Guerin loomed into view, picking out fruit at a road-side stand. Maria hit the brakes harder than she’d intended, sending a plume of dust up behind the Volvo. She jerked the car into a parking spot and simply stared at her ex-boyfriend, who was joking with Juan, the owner of the stand. She watched him laugh with abandon, something she’d rarely witnessed in his teenage years. Her insides flipped. He was still gorgeous, perhaps even more so than he’d been back then.

She gave her head a shake. Enough of that. Get out and talk to him, she told herself. She eased open the door of the car and the hot New Mexico air seemed to immediately suck all of the air conditioning out of it. She forced her feet to move until she was standing beside him, looking up at him through her dark sunglasses. She thought to remove them, but then he’d be able to read her and she didn’t want that. Not yet.

Michael had a cantaloupe in his hand and was holding it up to Margarita, Juan’s wife. “¿Cuánto es esto?” he asked.

“Cincuenta centavos,” Margarita replied.

“Fifty cents,” Michael repeated to himself, placing the melon in his basket and reaching for another one. “Es bueno.”

“Sí,” Maria answered with a smile.

Michael jerked, then his eyes narrowed. “Isn’t your car embarrassed to be seen here?”

Maria’s smile faded as her brow furrowed in confusion. “What does that mean?”

“And be careful you don’t ruin those shoes in all of this dust and dirt.” Michael rounded the makeshift counter, picked up a plum and held it to his nose.

Maria snorted. “What is that all about?”

Michael held up the fruit. “It’s a plum.”

“Not that,” Maria said, her hand going to her hip in annoyance. She hated herself for losing her composure so quickly. “The comments about my car and shoes.”

Michael shrugged. “It’s just that not many people stop to help out the farmers wearing Jimmy Choo’s and driving German luxury cars. That’s all.” He tipped his head to Margarita, who nodded in agreement.

Maria’s mouth fell open and she realized that no sunglasses would be powerful enough to hide any of her emotions if she stood there gaping like a fish. “Are you calling me a snob?”

Michael looked at Margarita again, who shrugged as if to say, “It is what it is.”

Maria huffed in response. “Look, I stopped because I saw you shopping and I thought I could talk to you for a moment.”

Michael placed a handful of plums in his basket. “I don’t really have anything to talk to you about, Maria.” He gave the basket to Margarita, who did a quick sum in her had and told him the price. He handed her a ten and told her to keep the change.

“Well, maybe I want to talk to you,” Maria countered as Margarita bagged his purchase.

“Can’t imagine why,” he said, taking the bag from the woman. “Buenos dias.”

He turned and made for his rental car, but Maria wasn’t giving up right away.

“Michael, wait,” she called.

He stopped briefly to put the bag on the seat, then turned to face her, his arms crossed over his chest. He met her eye-to-eye and she felt her knees go weak. Words were suddenly hard to come by.

“I’m waiting,” he said patiently. “You said you had something to say.”

“Isabel said you were going to stay for me,” she said quietly.

At that, Michael snorted and jerked open the car door. “No, she got that wrong.”

Maria’s eyebrows lifted in surprise, then she looked at the ground. Isabel had lied to her? It didn’t seem likely.

Michael started to get into the car, but something – perhaps a flash of his old temper – prompted him to right himself. “I wanted to stay for someone else, for some other version of Maria. I wanted to stay for someone who was quirky and fun and always unpredictable. But from what I can tell, that person is dead.”

Maria looked up, shocked.

“Your ass is so tight you squeak when you walk,” he continued, his voice starting to rise slightly. “Look at yourself. Do you go to the salon once or twice a week for those nails and that hair, which by the way is pulled back so harsh that your eyes have gone slanted. At what point in your life did you wake up in the morning and when deciding what to wear, you started reaching for shoes that cost more than my entire wardrobe? And it’s not even the way you look, it’s your attitude. It’s like you have everything planned now. Where did the spontaneity go?” His eyes narrowed. “Who are you?”

Maria felt the first sting of tears in her eyes and she looked to her offending shoes, was suddenly ashamed that she even owned them.

“It doesn’t matter,” Michael said in finality. “I don’t know you anymore.”

*~*~*~*~*

“I want to show you something,” Jim said as he rifled through a file cabinet in his office, a room that had once belonged to Kyle.

On the other side of the room, Liz sat uneasily in an ancient office chair. Nervous, she rubbed her palms on her jeans, told herself to relax.

Jim lifted a file out of the cabinet, glanced at the tab, shoved it back in place and produced another one that met his satisfaction. He brought the file to the desk, and laid it open, reaching over to flip on a lamp. Liz shifted her weight as he sifted through the papers, then handed one to her. She took it with shaking fingers.

“What is this?” she asked. “It looks like a seismograph or something.”

“That’s exactly what it is,” Jim confirmed. “Look at the date.”

Liz tilted her head sideways. “May 2001.”

“Where is it from?”

She read further. “The University of New Mexico.” She looked up to the Sheriff. “We had an earthquake in 2001?”

He sat back in his chair and gave a nod. “For all intents and purposes, yes, we did. What else could explain such a disturbance?”

Liz swallowed hard. A spaceship taking off, that’s what.

“That’s probably what collapsed those mountains in the desert, wouldn’t you think?”

She cocked her head. “We both know that’s not the truth.”

Jim shrugged. “Official report says it’s the truth. It must be true. As far as the FBI is concerned, it’s the truth.”

She looked at the paper again.

“No UFOs, Liz. No unexplained phenomenon. Just an earthquake.”

Liz looked away for a moment. “What about Tess?” It hurt to even speak her name. “She’s been missing for ten years. And no one has cared?”

“There’s no record of Tess ever existing.”

She saw hardness in the sheriff’s eyes that she’d never seen before. “How can that be? She went to high school with us. People knew her.”

“Who knew her? You and the Evans kids. Maria, Kyle, and Michael Guerin. Who else? The one good thing about Tess not letting anyone into her circle is that people easily forgot her.”

Liz frowned. Even though Tess was a murderer, it saddened her to think that someone could fall off the face of the earth – nearly literally – and no one would care. And maybe that had been Tess’s fatal flaw all along – there was no one who really cared about her.

“And as for her school records,” Jim continued. “Those have been destroyed.”

Liz’s eyebrows lifted in surprise.

A small smile lifted one corner of his mouth. “But I’ll deny it if ever asked.” He gave a small sigh. “Once you and Maria figured out who’d killed Alex, I did a little clean up work. I suppose you’re wondering why I never told you kids about it. Well, there didn’t seem a need. For all we knew, all of the hybrids had left the planet. We didn’t even know that Tess was dead – we only found that out recently when you reconnected with Max. Let sleeping dogs lie, Liz. Bring Max home so that he can help my son.”

*~*~*~*~*

Maria washed the cup she’d used at breakfast, rinsed it, washed it again. She knew it was clean, but she simply didn’t know what else to do with herself. She hadn’t been prepared for Michael’s hostility, and his harsh words had cut her to the core. Inside, she felt deflated, ashamed and guilty…of what, she wasn’t sure.

Movement to her left drew her attention and she found Jesse standing in the doorway, his jacket slung over his shoulder.

“Where have you been?” she asked, no malice in her tone.

“My mom’s,” he answered, placing his coat on the counter. “Don’t worry – I didn’t tell her we fought. I told her I’d gone out with some friends, locked myself out, didn’t want to wake you.”

She gave him a small nod in gratitude, then an uncomfortable silence ensued.

Finally, Jesse broke the silence. “I think maybe I was a little hard on you last night,” he said tentatively.

Join the club, she thought.

“I’m sorry for that. I just thought that I knew everything there was to know about you, and to find out that I don’t – well, it was a little upsetting.”

“I understand,” she said quietly.

“If you don’t want to tell me about him, that’s okay. I don’t want to keep secrets from one another, but I keep telling myself there must be a reason I don’t know about this guy. And maybe you’re not ready to tell me that reason yet. So, I’m sorry. I still love you from the bottom of my heart, Maria. Can we just put this and Michael Guerin behind us?”

Looking into his eyes, full of sincerity and genuine admiration, Maria could only nod.

tbc

The next part will reveal what happened the day the aliens were supposed to return home
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 12 02/22/09

Post by Midwest Max »

Part Thirteen

Watching Michael wash the dishes from breakfast, Isabel stood silently in the doorway to the kitchen. In the years since they’d left Roswell, he’d lost some of his outward anger – she knew that the Michael of ten years ago would be slamming dishes in the sink at this point. But this Michael seemed calm and cool on the exterior, if not for the occasional flexing of his jaw muscles.

Clearing her throat, she took a step forward and put on her best cheerful smile. “Breakfast was really good, Michael. You haven’t lost your touch.”

He glanced at her, brow furrowed slightly. “Haven’t lost it since when? Last Tuesday when I last made breakfast?”

She gave a congenial shrug, not wanting to ruin this conversation so quickly. “Oh, Michael. Can’t you just take a compliment?”

“Thanks,” he mumbled, rinsing a plate and putting it in the rack.

“We have a dishwasher, you know.”

He shrugged. “Don’t have much else to do.”

The kitchen fell silent except for the sound of running water and the clink of the dishes. Isabel leaned back against the island, watched Michael scrub furiously on a pot. She glanced out the window, took in a breath and willed herself to continue.

“Maria stopped by this morning.”

There was only a momentary pause in his scrubbing, which he almost covered without being caught. One corner of Isabel’s lip lifted in satisfaction.

“I assume you sent her on her way?” Michael asked without looking up.

“If you’re asking if I was a bitch to her, no I wasn’t.” Isabel moved around so that she was standing beside him. “Michael, why don’t you tell her?”

“There’s nothing to tell.”

At that, she snorted. “Oh, please! She’s the reason for everything, Michael.”

He placed the pot in the drainer and pinned her with a glare. “Nothing, Iz. There is absolutely nothing to tell her.”

“She should know! She’s the reason we’re here, the reason we’re still alive. And she’s never going to know that unless you tell her.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he said, snatching a towel from the counter and drying his hands on it.

“Apparently it does.”

“In what way?”

Isabel stopped, exasperated, and decided to take a different approach. “Why did you come back here, Michael?”

He gave another shrug. “I missed the in-laws.”

She cocked her head, unappreciative of his sarcasm.

“The desert?” he tried.

“Michael.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he said, tossing the towel onto the counter.

“You came back for her, just like you were going to stay for her. If you hadn’t done that, we wouldn’t be here. We’d be dead.”

The calm façade finally broke away and Michael took one step closer to her. Having spent years dealing with his outbursts, Isabel didn’t withdraw, in fact, she didn’t even flinch. He jabbed a finger in her direction.

“It doesn’t matter. She’s got someone else, someone who buys her shoes that cost more than my entire wardrobe. It’s neither here nor there what I did back then.”

“It is here or there,” Isabel countered. “I’ll say it again – the bottom like is she’s the reason we’re alive. All of your life you wanted to see what was out there, where we came from – you craved it, Michael. How much do you have to love someone to sacrifice your one chance at having that?”

He stopped, withdrew and behind his eyes Isabel saw defeat. “Obviously, more than she loved me.”

*~*~*~*~*

Maria’s head was pounding. In addition to the natural din of the Crashdown, across the table from her Liz was obsessive-compulsively sorting and stacking sugar packets, shoving them into the dispenser, dumping them and starting over again. And talking. Talking, talking, talking. Yeah, she got it – Max was coming home. That was good. The sheriff had done well in his espionage. Max could see his family and be with Liz. Yay for the home team. But jeez – couldn’t she please just shut the hell up…

“Don’t you think?”

Maria’s eyes jerked to her friend’s. Crap – she’d obviously just been asked a question and didn’t know the appropriate response. “Um, sure. Sounds good.”

Liz giggled. “I thought so too. I can’t wait until he gets here.”

“I know.”

Maria looked glumly into her coffee. Her despair was obviously lost on her best friend and that was okay – Liz deserved to be happy. At least someone was going to be happy.

“When is his flight again?” Maria asked, kicking herself for not being more supportive. On top of being a bad fiancé, she was also being a bad friend.

“I have to leave for the airport in an hour. God, I’m so stoked! My heart is pounding like 90 miles an hour!”

Maria gave her a small smile, took in her bright eyes and flushed cheeks. Secretly she wondered if Max and Liz would make it out of the airport terminal before they started mauling each other. She reached across the table and took Liz’s hand in hers, which started the woman into shutting up.

“I’m happy for you, Liz. I want you to be happy. I really do.”

Liz’s eyes softened. “Thank you, Maria.” Then she frowned slightly. “Are you okay?”

“Sure, fine,” Maria answered automatically.

Liz tipped her head, gave her friend a look that said it all – nice try, but I’m not buying it.

“I’ll be fine,” Maria assured, withdrawing her hand and sitting back in the booth. “Go, be happy. I’ll get myself straightened out.”

Before Liz could reply, a shadow fell over the table and both girls turned to find Isabel standing at the end of the booth. Her expression was serious and both Liz and Maria feared the worst.

“I need to talk to you,” Isabel said.

“Me?” Liz said.

“No, both of you. Is there somewhere we can go?”

Maria’s hand went to her necklace and she could practically feel the blood drain from her face. “Oh, God…” Someone was dead.

“There’s nothing wrong,” Isabel clarified, seeing the look on her face. “I just need to tell you something.”

“Oh, okay,” Liz said, starting to slide from the booth, the sugar packets forgotten. “Let’s go upstairs – my parents are out for the afternoon.”

Maria pushed out of the booth on shaking knees and followed her friends toward the back stairwell.

Isabel was amazed that Liz’s room hadn’t changed much since their high school days. Gone was the corkboard with all of the school activities pinned to it, and the curtains had changed, but it was essentially the same room. Even more astounding, the rooftop patio outside of her window hadn’t changed one iota.

“What is it?” Liz asked, cutting straight to the chase once they were alone.

Isabel leaned against the wall surrounding the roof and crossed her arms over her chest. Inside, she was more than a little pissed that she had to be the one to tell the story.

“Why don’t you two have a seat,” she suggested, nodding toward the lawn chairs. “And stop staring at me like you’re waiting for the other shoe to fall.”

Liz and Maria sat, though neither relaxed.

Isabel drew in a deep breath. She looked at Liz. “I know that Max isn’t going to tell you.” Then she looked at Maria. “And neither is Michael.” Then took in them both. “So I will. I think it’s only fair that you know what happened that day at the pod chamber.”

Liz and Maria exchanged a silent glance, eyes round.

Isabel folded her hands before her, looked at her fingers. “As you know, the three of us and Tess left for the pod chamber, intending to use the granilith to return home. Tess was pregnant with Max’s child, who couldn’t live here on earth.”

Liz looked away, the scar from that old and yet still knew.

“Max and I made a tape for our parents, explaining who we are and where we’d gone. We gave the tape to Sheriff Valenti, asking him to give it to them once he knew for sure that we weren’t here anymore. We thought they deserved an explanation of some kind.”

She drew in a breath and looked away for a moment, memories that she didn’t want to revisit coming back to her in a flood.

“So Max was preparing the granilith for departure. I was at peace with it, you know? I wanted to be with Max and Michael – they were my family. I was nervous, but I thought with the three of us together we’d be okay. I didn’t really care if Tess was there or not. Anyway, we were only a few minutes away from departing and Michael spoke up.”

Isabel’s dark eyes shifted to Maria, just to make sure she had her attention, a concern that was definitely unwarranted.

“He didn’t want to go,” Isabel said, offered Maria a smile tinged with regret. “He said he’d found his home. Here. I can only assume he meant with you.”

Maria swallowed hard and looked down at the floor. Supportive, Liz reached over and took her hand.

“I think Max was surprised at that, but he understood. He told him to stay if he wanted. And he told me I could stay if I wanted. I love Michael, I really do – but I wanted to be with Max so I agreed to go. But Michael staying was a problem.”

“A problem?” Liz said. “Why?”

Isabel took a couple of paces, shook her head. “Tess started panicking.”

“Panicking?” Maria said incredulously. It was hard to imagine that out of Tess.

Isabel nodded. “Just really over reacting. Saying that Michael had to go, that we all had to go together. It wasn’t right if just the three of us showed up. And the more that Max pressured her for a reason for being so upset, the more flustered she got. Until she made a comment about Michael not coming would break the deal.”

“Deal?” Maria said. “What deal?” She could tell by the look on Isabel’s face that she wasn’t going to like what she was about to hear.

“It seems that Nasedo made a deal with Khivar a long time ago, before any of us were even born. Tess was to return to Antar with the next heir to the throne – the baby – and deliver the rest of us to him.”

“Why?” Liz asked, her voice shrill.

Isabel shrugged, trying to make the news seem less awful. “I can only imagine so that we could be eliminated.”

“Eliminated?” Maria cried. “As in killed?!”

Isabel nodded. “I think so, yes.”

“Oh God,” Liz said, dropping her head to her hand.

“I’m sorry, Liz, but I think you need to hear this.”

“I do,” she agreed solemnly, without dropping her hand from her face. “Go on.”

Isabel looked at Maria before she continued – she seemed sort of stunned, but not freaking, so that was good.

“Once Tess spilled about the deal, Max grabbed her by the arm. She didn’t have time to block him and he immediately could tell that she wasn’t pregnant.”

“What?” Maria said.

Isabel shook her head. “She wasn’t.”

Liz dropped her hand. “Wouldn’t that break the deal as well?”

Isabel shrugged. “I don’t know what she was thinking. I guess you can fake that for a while – maybe she thought she could trap Max once they were on Antar, I don’t know for sure.”

“Stupid bitch,” Maria mumbled.

“The clock was ticking,” Isabel said. “Everything was set into motion and there was nothing we could do to stop it. With or without us, the granilith was set to launch. Time was running out, things were very tense and chaotic. Tess started yelling at Max, I think maybe trying to beat him into submissiveness to get him to go home. And then she threatened him.”

“How?” Liz asked warily.

A small tear glinted in the corner of Isabel’s eye. “She said she’d do to you what she’d done to Alex.”

Maria winced and Liz let out a gasp. Of course, by the time that Tess had threatened Liz’s life, Liz, Maria and Kyle had already figured out that Tess had murdered Alex. This much was not news to them, however the breadth of her treachery was a revelation.

“Then what happened?” Maria asked quietly.

“Max hit her,” Isabel said.

Maria looked sharply at Liz. “I thought you said he killed the bitch.”

Isabel held up a hand. “Let me finish. He hit her so hard that she fell into the side of the granilith.”

“And killed her,” Liz finished quietly.

Isabel nodded. “There’s no doubt – she dissolved into a pile of ash almost immediately. I don’t think he meant to do that, but we didn’t have time to really discuss it. We had problems of our own. Soon after Max killed Tess, the whole mountain started to shake. We tried to run for the exit, but rocks were falling down all around us. Michael took a blow to the head, dropped him on the spot.”

Maria’s eyes were round.

“We knew we were in some deep trouble,” Isabel said. “Max and I fell over Michael to protect him from other falling rocks and Max threw up his shield to protect all of us. It took all of his strength. It seemed like the mountain was never going to stop shaking, it lasted forever. And when it did stop, we knew we were trapped.”

Looking weary, Isabel dropped to a vacant lawn chair. “We were trapped,” she repeated softly, her gaze far off for a long moment. Eventually she continued. “I used the strength I had left to light some rocks so we could see. Max was able to let down the shield once we were sure that the rocks around us were stable. He used the last bit of his strength to heal Michael’s head wound. And then we started digging. We didn’t have any food or water and our powers were depleted. It took a long time to build up a little strength and it would be spent so fast that it took us forever to make any progress at all.”

“How long did it take?” Liz asked.

“Three days. It took us three days to dig ourselves out. And when we got out, we didn’t like what we saw.”

“Military,” Maria said as though she already knew.

Isabel nodded. “Them. FBI. Geologists. All around the mountain. It was just a mass of people. We had to wait for nightfall to come to sneak out of the desert. While we waited for dark, we discussed what to do. We knew that what we had done was very public and in no way had gone unnoticed. We knew that the people we loved would be in danger if we stayed. Our parents had the tape explaining that we were gone. So, it seemed best to us that we just stayed gone. We came up with new names, new appearances, and hit the road.”

“Why did you pretend to be married?” Maria asked.

For the first time, Isabel gave a genuine smile. “We figured it was less suspicious for a woman to be traveling with two guys if she was married to one of them. If someone happened to be in our home or walk in on us or something, I felt better to have to fake it with Michael than with Max.” She gave a little laugh. “I’m a good actress, but not that good. I’m not sure I could have pulled that off.”

A weary silence fell over the women, until Isabel pushed herself to her feet. “I wanted you to know,” she said. “Neither of them was going to tell you.” She looked at Liz. “Max wasn’t going to let you know that he’d killed Tess because she threatened you.” Then she looked at Maria. “And Michael wasn’t going to tell you that the reason all of this happened was because he wanted to stay here with you.”

Maria helped up a hand, palm up. “Why not? What’s the harm?”

Isabel gave another small laugh. “Isn’t that obvious? He’s afraid if he told you he loved you enough to give up his dream to stay with you, that you’d see that he still loves you.”

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 13 03/29/09

Post by Midwest Max »

Thank you for your patience :)

Part Fourteen

A breeze devoid of any coolness brushed across Maria’s cheek, a loose hair tickling the corner of her mouth. She took the errant lock around one finger and pushed it back behind her ear.

Before her lay ruins, nothing more than a pile of reddish brown desert rock. In her mind, she envisioned what used to be there – the double peaks over the pod chamber, which had never seemed otherworldly to her until she’d found out that there was definitely something otherworldly beneath them. Even though she didn’t want them to, the memories of that day so many years ago came flooding back to her and she closed her eyes against them.

“Maria, you have to drive faster!” Liz urged from the passenger seat.

“It won’t go any faster!” Maria cried from behind the wheel. “If I push it and it blows up, then where will we be? Stranded somewhere and really unable to help!”

She could feel the anxiety washing over her friend and it was doing nothing to quell the same tension inside of her. That, and Kyle was leaning between the seats, as though he could will them to move quicker.

“Just keep it steady,” he advised, the unexpected voice of reason. “We’re going to get there in time. Just calm down.”

Maria wanted to cry. She could feel the tears welling up behind her eyes, but she forced them back. Now was so not the time to get all hysterical – especially not if Liz was already losing it.

“How could I have not seen it?” Liz moaned, throwing her hand over her face. “My God, why am I so blind!”

“Liz, that’s not helping,” Kyle barked and Maria jumped. But Liz calmed down, so Maria had to forgive him.

“There,” Liz said, pointing at the mile marker. “Turn there.”

Maria did, barely pressing the brakes, and the Jetta skidded sideways, then righted itself as they drove into the desert. Beneath them, the road was uneven and strewn with rocks. The small red car bounced and tossed them mercilessly and once again Maria had a fear of it dying before they got anywhere near the pod chamber.

But soon the twin peaks of the pod chamber loomed before them and within minutes she was slamming on the brakes and the car slid hard to the left, stopping in a cloud of dust. Surprisingly, Kyle was the first out of the car, scaling the rocks like a billy goat. Maria cursed her shoes and ran behind him and Liz, trying to keep up on the unsteady terrain.

“Where is it?” Kyle yelled over his shoulder. “Where’s the door thingie?”

Liz surveyed the rock as she ran, then suddenly came to a halt. “Here!” she shouted and Kyle and Maria joined her at an innocent-looking wall of rock.

“Are you sure?” Kyle panted beside her. “How does it open?”

“I don’t know!” Liz cried, her small hands searching for an opening.

“You need to do the silver handprint thing,” Maria offered. “That’s what Max always does.”

Liz looked at her in a mixture of defeat and incredulity. “How am I supposed to do that? I’m not an alien!” Before Maria could answer, Liz turned and started to bang on the rock with her hands, yelling for any of them inside to hear her.

They’ll never hear that, Maria thought, taking a step backward. Her eyes drifted skyward, wondering from where the ship would launch. They can’t hear us. The tears that had been threatening behind her eyes spilled silently onto her cheeks.

She could still smell him on her clothes, still feel his hands on her body. In only moments, he would be gone, maybe forever. The granilith had been entombed in the rock for over fifty years – who knew if it was still space-worthy? And even if he survived the journey, what was to say that Tess wouldn’t have them all killed in the end?

How long until time was up?

Almost in answer to her question, the ground beneath their feet began to tremble and a sound akin to thunder filled the air. She put out a hand to steady herself, saw Kyle looking down at their feet.

“We’ve gotta move!” he yelled, grabbing both Maria and Liz by the arm.

“No!” Liz protested. “We can’t let them leave with her!”

“It’s too late!” Kyle said, giving her a forceful tug. “It’s too late, Liz. If we stay here, we’re going to die!”

That seemed to unglue her feet and soon the three of them were retracing their steps, retreating down the same path they’d just ascended. The shaking of the earth became more violent and once again Maria regretted her choice of footwear. As it became nearly impossible for them to retain their balance, Kyle pulled them behind a wall of rock, threw an arm around each of them and pulled them against his body protectively.

A loud cracking noise filled the air and Maria looked toward the top of the mountain. Only a few seconds later, the ship exploded from the rock and raced towards the heavens, a plume of white smoke in its wake. She knew he was gone and the realization dragged an animal cry from her throat as her eyes blurred with tears.

Liz fell eerily silent, no tears, a look of devastated acceptance on her face. It would be days before Maria felt that numb, and once she did, she would remain there for years.

*~*~*~*~*

Max tightened his seatbelt and looked out the window of the jetliner again. Beneath him, he saw sand and rock getting more and more distinct as the plane descended lower and lower, a sight he hadn’t seen in ten years.

Even though Liz had said the coast was clear, he still felt some trepidation inside. He’d spent so long running from this place, from the law, that he couldn’t help himself.

“I used to get nervous flying, too,” the middle-aged woman beside him said with a tinge of humor in her voice.

“I’m not nervous,” he chuckled unconvincingly.

She nodded in agreement, though Max knew she wasn’t buying it. “Taking off and landing, the worse two parts,” she continued as though he hadn’t spoken. “I mean, when a plane crashes, what was it usually doing? Taking off or landing.” She laughed lightly. “So, it’s only natural to be nervous. But you stand a better chance of being killed crossing a street than you do in a plane crash.”

“I’m not nervous.”

She tipped her head. “You’ve fidgeted with that seat belt all of the way from New York.”

Okay, so he was nervous – of being tried for murder or being tortured by an alien hunter, but not because of flying. Not that he could tell her that. “You’re right, I’m nervous.”

She smiled and let him be until the plane touched down in Albuquerque. “See?” she said. “Nothing to worry about.”

He grinned, hoped he looked relieved, because his anxiety had just ratcheted up a couple of degrees. Who was to say he wouldn’t step off that plane and into the waiting arms of the military? Or someone like Agent Pierce or someone from the Roswell Sheriff’s Department serving a warrant for murder?

He couldn’t stay on the plane forever, so he grabbed his carry on bag and headed down the jetway with the other passengers. He inhaled several times, tried to clear his head, thought of Liz instead. Soon he would be with her, and she’d be in his arms again. That brought a smile to his face and a spring to his step. Liz would always make everything right.

But when Max saw her, standing at the back of the crowd, he knew in that instant that something had happened. She wasn’t her bubbly self, rushing into his arms like he’d expected. Instead, she looked at him with a mixture of relief and devastation and he knew that someone – probably Isabel – had told her.

Max dropped his bag on the floor and took Liz into his arms. Upon doing so, she began to cry softly and he buried his face in her silky hair.

“You should have told me,” she said softly.

“I know,” he replied. “I just couldn’t.”

And there really wasn’t much more he could say to comfort her.

*~*~*~*~*

It was nearly dark when Maria returned home to the house she and Jesse shared. He was sitting at the kitchen table, checkbook and envelopes before him, writing out bills. She hesitated for a moment, and he put down the pen but didn’t turn to look at her.

“When are you leaving?” he asked quietly.

Maria swallowed hard, not wanting to have this conversation. She toyed with her fingers, then came to the table and took the seat adjacent to him. When he looked at her, she didn’t see the anger she’d witnessed a few nights before. She didn’t see hate or resignation. She didn’t see much at all. The councilor at work.

“I’m sorry, Jesse,” she said.

He met her eyes for a long moment, then sat back in his chair, eyes fixed on the table.

“Michael Guerin was my boyfriend,” she confessed slowly. “In high school. Our relationship…” Maria looked to the darkened world outside as if it held the words she needed. “Our relationship wasn’t good. At the end of my junior year, Michael left and I hadn’t seen him since then. Until he showed up a few days ago.”

“Why did he leave?”

She’d prepared for this question and was grateful that she had. “Family obligations.”

Jesse simply sighed.

“But even though we didn’t have a good relationship, I loved Michael. He was my first love.”

“And he still is.” The words were said without malice, but they still stopped Maria in her tracks. Jesse turned dark eyes to her. “Isn’t he?”

She swallowed hard. “I don’t know.”

“But you have doubts. About us. Am I right?”

She nodded her head slowly. “I’m sorry, Jesse. I never wanted to hurt you. I do love you.”

He snorted a little laugh and looked away from her.

Maria reached over and put her hand over his. He looked at her fingers, then into her eyes.

“Thank you for everything you’ve ever done for me. But now it’s my turn to do something for you. I won’t marry you under false pretenses. I won’t marry you while I feel conflicted. You deserve better than that, Jesse. You deserve better than me.”

For the first time, she saw a flash of hurt in his eyes and it was so unexpected that she hurt as well.

“When are you leaving?” he asked again, his voice cracking slightly.

Maria gripped his hand and let a tear fall down her cheek. “As soon as I find some place to stay.”

*~*~*~*~*

Isabel found Michael in the kitchen again, though this time he wasn’t washing dishes, rather dicing an onion for a dish for dinner. She crossed her arms over her chest and watched him from a distance.

“I told them,” she announced without fear.

He stopped chopping for a moment, then continued.

“About what happened that day. Max killing Tess, the rock to your rock head, the cave-in, all of it. I told them.”

She waited patiently for the wrath of Rath, but it never came, so she turned on her heel to leave. Before she could clear the door, however, she heard something that stopped her. She turned to him again, found him looking at her peripherally.

“Thank you,” he said, his words barely audible.

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 14 04/25/09

Post by Midwest Max »

Part Fifteen

Michael’s boot slipped on a loose rock and he quickly put out a hand to stop himself. A rush of adrenalin accompanied the flub and amped up the tension in his body. He hadn’t been here in many years, and the last time he had been, things hadn’t been so good. Another slip of the boot and he figured maybe he should have come in daylight.

In truth, he wasn’t sure why he was here at all. If anyone had asked him a year ago if he’d ever planned on revisiting the site of the cave in, he probably would have decked them. Why would he go back there, with all of the horrible memories that place held?

Almost as a reminder, the crown of his head ached, just for a second. Of course it was all psychosomatic – no injury ever escaped Max’s healing powers, even in minutia. But Michael still held the memory of the pain in his skull, the sudden impact and then nothing but blackness.

The blackness was what seemed to linger the most. Even after Max had healed the head wound, the three of them had been stuck in the dark for a seeming eternity. They could only use their powers sparingly to illuminate the rocks around them – they needed as much energy as possible to dig themselves out. The darkness had come from all sides, enveloping them – they had no way to determine how far under the mountain they were, how long it might take them to break the surface. In the back of his traumatized head, Michael had truly begun to believe that they might become permanent residents of the mountain.

It had been months before he could sleep with the lights out.

As he crested the next rise, he wondered again why he was here. Maybe he’d become a masochist. But then again, maybe he needed to put some demons to rest.

He’d no sooner had the thought when he realized that he wasn’t alone, that one of his demons had beaten him there. Though most demons didn’t tool around town in Swedish luxury cars.

There was a bright moon this evening, casting silvery shadows on the barren desert. Nearby a reptile skittered, sending pebbles trickling past Michael’s boot. But he remained riveted in place, just watching her perched on the hood of that auto, something that probably cost more than his last three year’s wages combined.

For a moment, his throat went dry. She was close, so close that within ten paces he could touch her if he dared. He recalled the soft feel of her skin under his hand, the sweet smell of her perfume, the way every muscle her in body had moved. He’d dreamed of this, being alone with her, in the desert where he felt he somehow belonged, the two of them finally equals.

Of course, not all dreams are what they seem when they come true.

“What are you doing here?” he croaked. At least he thought he croaked. The question came out unintentionally like an accusation, more like, “What are you doing here?”

Even in the dark, he could make out the sudden iciness in her eyes as she slowly turned toward him. Then she snorted and hopped down from the hood of the car. Before she could jerk open the driver’s door, however, he took her around the arm – and immediately felt a tingle in his bones.

“Wait,” he said. “Stop. I didn’t mean it to sound that way. I meant – do you come here often?”

Internally he groaned. Way to make it better, Michael.

“Forget it,” she said. “I’ll leave. It’s obvious the desert isn’t big enough for the two of us.”

As should have been expected, irritation immediately flared within him. “Why is that obvious? You just surprised me, I didn’t mean to bark at you and now you’re stomping off all half-cocked?”

And, also as should be expected, she placed her hands on her slim hips and took the bait. “I am not stomping off! Nor am I half-cocked!”

“You look like it to me!”

“If I were stomping off, why would I still be standing here?”

“That’s a good question – why are you?”

At that she stopped and internally Michael chalked one up for himself. She was nabbed – if she really wanted to go, if she really hadn’t wanted to be bothered with him, she’d be in the car and halfway down the mountain by now. He wasn’t blocking her path. Nothing was stopping her…except maybe herself.

“Now,” he said, lowering his voice and tone, “can we sit down and talk like two adults?”

One corner of her full lips quirked upward.

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” he sighed. “Me and you and adults in the same sentence. It could happen, right?”

Maria let out a small laugh and something immediately glowed in the center of Michael’s chest.

“That’s what I missed the most.”

Her smile fell and her expression turned wary. “What?”

“Your laugh.” He allowed himself a smile. “Even after years and years, I could still hear it as clear as could be. I like the way you laugh.”

She cleared her throat and looked away, and Michael thought maybe if the moon were brighter, he’d be able to see her blush.

“Come on,” he said. “Let’s sit.”

“Okay,” she said tentatively, then resumed her perch on the Volvo.

Michael looked down at the shiny hood and thought it a crime to put their weight on it – but, what the heck? He climbed aboard and the car was no worse for it. The Swedish knew how to build things.

“So, back to my original question,” he said, folding his hands between his knees. “What made you come up here?”

She shrugged, her gaze drifting up to where the peaks of the mountain used to soar into the sky. “I don’t know, really.”

“And without it sounding like a pick-up line – do you come here a lot?”

Maria was silent for a moment. “Not anymore.”

He turned to face her, liked the way the moon shined on her fair skin, making her beauty seem unearthly. “But before?”

She looked down at her hands, picked at her fingernails. “For a few years, I came up here a lot. Looking for clues maybe. Maybe looking for you.”

Michael swallowed hard, a stab of guilt making itself known. “I’m sorry for all of that, Maria. We didn’t know what to do. The place was surrounded and – ”

“I know,” she interrupted quietly. “Isabel told us.”

Guilt turned to anxiety. “What else did she tell you?”

Maria’s eyes lifted to his and he recalled many nights, in the backseat of her Jetta, on a blanket in the desert, facing each other on the seat of his bike – when she’d smile at him and her eyes would dance in the moonlight and she’d take his face between her hands and kiss him…

“That you were hurt,” she finally said, her eyes drifting toward the crown of his head.

“I was,” he confirmed. “But don’t worry – nothing got knocked loose permanently.” The jest was half-hearted and fell entirely flat.

“That it took a long time for you guys to dig yourselves out.”

“It did.”

“And that…” She looked at her hands again, worked her fingers together and only then did he realize that the Yankee-Stadium-sized engagement ring was gone from her finger. “And that you were going to stay here, for me. You told me at the produce stand that that wasn’t true.”

She said the last as she looked directly into his eyes, a challenge to find any deception there.

“It was true.”

There was a long silence during which they simply stared at one another, neither breaking the other’s gaze. In the distance, a coyote howled, but neither of them even flinched.

“Where is your ring?” Michael asked, issuing a challenge of his own.

Maria didn’t look at her hand, didn’t look away. “I gave it back.”

Too good to be true. Michael couldn’t get this lucky. He could never win out over someone like Jesse Ramirez, someone who had money and cars and careers and perfect, perfect teeth.

“Wrong size?” he ventured.

“Wrong person.”

Michael went light-headed, but years of covering his actions hid that fact from his companion. “And what about Jesse?”

“I’m giving him back, too.”

He may have whimpered, but he hoped not. “I’m sorry,” he said, because he felt it was necessary.

Maria laughed. “Are you really?”

“Okay, no. Not in the slightest.”

She laughed again, a little louder this time and Michael laughed – as much as he ever laughed – with her.

“You’re not going to give the car back, are you?” he said, looking down at the glossy hood. “Because this ride is sweet!”

“Sorry. Car goes back too.” She pulled her knees up to her chin, rested her heels on the edge of the hood and wrapped her arms around her legs.

“What will you drive? Still have that Jetta?”

“Oh, good God no! Mom was talking on her cell phone and trying to negotiate a curve on a wet road and totaled that thing years ago. Don’t worry – she wasn’t hurt. I’m not sure she even hit anything. I think the car just gave up.”

Michael laughed again, then fell serious. “I’m sorry, Maria. For all of those things I said to you that day when you stopped at the fruit stand.”

She looked down, obviously still a little stung.

“I was angry, I lashed out. I guess I’m still not an adult yet, eh?”

She gave a little smile and bumped him with her shoulder. “Not entirely, but you’re on your way. Don’t worry, I’ll give the Jimmy Choo’s back, too. In truth, they hurt my feet.”

He smiled, then turned his gaze toward the rubble, tried to block out the memory of all of those military vehicles, the helicopters, the shouted voices. Instead, he thought about who was sitting beside him, about how he’d dreamed of sitting by her for so many years, how being here now was one of the most surreal moments of his life. He’d wasted enough time – he reached over and picked up her hand in his.

“Oh, Michael,” she sighed. “What are we going to do?”

And for once he knew the right answer. “Whatever we want.”

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 15 08/26/09

Post by Midwest Max »

Only one more part after this!

Part Sixteen

Liz’s Prius slid nearly silently into the gravel lot of Kyle’s business. Max was driving while Liz was riding shotgun; in the back seat, Michael, Maria and Isabel were smashed together so tightly that they could barely breathe. In truth, Michael hated the whole “green” concept when it came to cars – give him a gas-guzzling 8-cylander any day.

Max put the car into park, then he and Liz both swiveled to face their uncomfortable friends.

“I think Maria and I should go in alone at first,” Liz said, the dashboard lights glowing blue against the side of her face.

“When they think Kyle is going to be receptive, Isabel and I will go in and hopefully fix the problem in his head,” Max concluded.

Michael held his hands out – as best he could in the cramped space. “What about me?”

Liz’s eyes flicked to Maria, then back to Michael. “We felt it best if you just waited in the car.”

“What? Why?”

Maria cleared her throat. “Because Kyle has threatened to kill more than one of you more than once.”

“And you think he can take me?” Michael said it with a laugh, like it was the most ridiculous thing he’d ever heard.

“No, we think you could provoke him.”

“Why would I do that?”

Maria blinked once, deliberately and Michael sighed internally. Of course. He could probably do it without even trying. So he shrugged and turned his face to the side window, blocking out the planning that ensued.

Since his face was mere inches from the window, Michael got a good look at the sign above the garage – Kyle’s Custom Cars. Then his gaze fell to what looked like nothing more than a heap of rusting metal.

“Oh my God!” he burst.

Everyone in the car jumped.

“What?” Maria demanded, putting her hand to her chest.

He whirled – as much as he could in the confines of the tiny back seat – his face wide with a smile. “Do you know what that is?”

Maria’s brow furrowed as she looked past him at the scrap heap. “What?” Her voice sounded confused.

“It’s a Road Runner, Maria!”

“Huh? A bird?”

“No, a car! Plymouth made them in the late sixties and early seventies. Pure muscle right there.”

“Jesus, Michael, you scared the crap out of me!” Maria protested. “Over a rusting hunk of metal?”

“But, it’s a Road Runner…” Michael’s voice faded off as he realized there was nothing he could say to make her understand the importance of it. Over Maria’s shoulder, he caught Isabel’s smirk. Outnumbered, he returned to the window and dreams of what he car might someday be.

“Let’s go,” Liz said, popping open the passenger door and sliding out easily.

Maria’s exit wasn’t so simple. After the fourth or fifth nudge, Michael finally got the hint and climbed out so that she could follow. Stepping out and stretching his legs was like heaven, and he in no way wanted to get back in the car. Maria looked at him questioningly.

“I’m going to walk a bit,” he said. “Don’t worry – I won’t intrude, not even if I hear you screaming for help.”

Maria threw a glance over her shoulder as she and Liz made for the entrance to Kyle’s shop.

“So,” Liz said beneath her breath. “What happened with you and Michael?”

“A truce,” Maria whispered back.

“Truce, as in – ”

“Too soon to tell. Let’s just go help Kyle.”

As they pushed open the door, both girls drew up short. There was a lot of banging coming from the far side of the car Kyle had been recently working on. It sounded like someone was rifling through items on a shelf and then shoving them carelessly onto the concrete floor. Something large and metal made a loud clang and both girls jumped. Perhaps Kyle’s place was being ransacked. Perhaps they’d made a mistake in leaving all of those with powers outside.

Reaching down, Maria grasped Liz’s hand in hers and together they started to round the car. As they did, they found Kyle angrily trying to untangle a very thick chain, something that one would use to free a car mired in mud.

“Kyle?” Maria asked tentatively. “What are you doing?”

He stopped and met them with glazed eyes. “Accident.”

Wary, Liz looked around the semi-darkened shop. “Did you have an accident?”

“It needs to look like an accident,” he mumbled, then shuffled toward a tall crane-like apparatus, the chain dragging behind him.

Maria and Liz exchanged a worried glance.

“We’re not understanding you right now, dude,” Maria said, trying to sound like the fact that one of her best friends was unhinged wasn’t freaking her out at the moment. “Why are you trying to stage an accident?”

Kyle stopped, sighed, held one hand to his head. He dropped the hand then regarded her like she was one of the dumbest creatures he’d ever met. “Because it will break my dad’s heart to think that I killed myself.” Then he turned toward the crane and tried to hoist the chain.

The girls both drew in a sharp breath.

“Get Max,” Maria whispered hotly and in a flash Liz was gone. Maria cleared her throat and slowly approached Kyle, who was still struggling with the chain.

“Help me, Maria,” he said, his blue eyes pleading.

“I’m trying to help you,” she assured him.

“Then grab an end. And don’t tell my father you were here and saw this.”

“Kyle, there’s an easier way.”

He shook his head, then grimaced. “No, I’ve thought it through. I can’t live like this anymore, Maria. In just a few minutes, it won’t hurt anymore. I’ll be free.”

“But death isn’t the answer. We can help you.”

He stopped short, cocked his head. “You can’t help me.”

“Maybe you’re right. But I’ve brought someone else who can.”

Outside, Michael circled the rusting Road Runner, touched her frame with wistfulness.

“She’s pretty.” Isabel, behind him, a smile in her voice.

“She is,” Michael agreed, imagining the sound her engine would make when she was restored. “Someday she’s going to be even prettier.” He looked at the sign above Kyle’s shop again. “Is this how Kyle spends his days? Fixing up cars?”

Isabel stuck her hands in her pockets and came to stand beside him. “I think so.”

Michael grunted, looked at the shell of the Plymouth again. “Wouldn’t be a bad way to spend your time, would it?”

“Nothing bad about it at all.”

Isabel watched as he squatted to look at something near the bottom of the frame and couldn’t help but smile. It had been a long time – years perhaps – since Michael had shown interest in anything besides Maria Deluca. The fact that he was entranced by the car seemed to be a good sign.

“I noticed you and Maria seem to be getting along,” she observed.

Michael only nodded.

“Taking things slow?”

At that, he snorted and stood up. “Screw slow. It’s been ten years.”

Isabel’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “You’re not taking it slow?”

“Nope. Looking at apartments tomorrow.”

She nearly staggered from the shock.

“Hey, I need a place to stay, Maria needs a place to stay – why get two?” With that, he gave her a wink and turned to see what else Kyle had waiting for attention.

He’d barely turned however, when a shriek came from within the garage. Michael and Isabel both broke into a run, regardless of the fact that Michael had promised Maria that he wouldn’t intrude.

Inside the garage bay, Kyle was wielding a tire iron, his face red with fury. Max was standing near the doorway, holding his head, blood seeping from between his fingers. Liz and Maria were clutching each other for dear life.

“What happened!” Isabel demanded, breathless from her run.

“Kyle hit Max with an oil filter!” Liz cried and Michael nearly chuckled aloud with the humor of that statement.

“You brought all of them?” Kyle shouted incredulously. “You traitorous bitches!”

Maria and Liz flinched at the harsh tone in his voice.

“Gotta give him credit,” Michael whispered to Isabel. “I wouldn’t think he’d know a word as big as ‘traitorous.’”

Isabel cast a reprimanding glance at her friend and slowly stepped forward, her hands raised in the surrender position.

“Kyle, we only want to help you,” she said calmly.

“Stay back!” he spat, waving the iron at her.

“We can make the pain go away,” she promised. “We can make it better.” She kept advancing, one small step at a time.

“I don’t want your help! I’d rather kill myself than take your pity!”

“It’s not pity. Kyle, we were friends. We still are friends. Let me help you.”

“Oh, no. I know how your kind operates. You act like my friend and then use me or kill me in the end.”

“Not me, Kyle. I’ve never hurt you.”

That stopped him momentarily, long enough for Isabel to reach for his arm. He reacted quickly, though, and hurled the tire iron at her. In one swift move, she ducked the tool and dove for Kyle’s legs, tackling him without effort.

“Yikes,” Michael half-laughed. “Taken down by a girl.”

Liz and Maria both gave him looks of disapproval. It was unnecessary, though, as Michael and Max were both moving to help Isabel, who had pinned Kyle to the floor and was struggling to keep him there.

“Get off me!” Kyle screamed. He thrashed beneath her, but his depleted state had left him weak.

“I’ll move once we’ve helped you,” Isabel said breathlessly, pinning his arms with her knees. Turning her head to the side, she addressed Max. “Do it now, Max!”

Michael slid in behind her and held Kyle’s legs, an act that made him howl in fury.

“Kyle, trust me,” Max said, taking the man’s head between his hands. “I healed you once before, remember? I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Hurry, Max!” Isabel urged.

Max met Kyle’s wild eyes and he was in quickly, racing through the mechanic’s wounded brain, fixing the damage Tess had inflicted so long ago. While searching for the problem, Max saw and felt years of anger and resentment toward his race, hate like he never thought possible. All of those feelings were suddenly gone, though, and when Max came out of the trance he went into to heal, he realized that the garage was silent.

Well, almost silent.

Isabel had sat upright on her knees, straddling the younger Valenti and Michael had removed himself completely. Beneath her, Kyle was sobbing, tears flowing down the sides of his face. Were the tears a result of the relief from the pain – or something else? Max looked over his shoulder at Liz and Maria, who were holding each other, tears also in their eyes.

“You too – all of you,” Kyle finally said. “She ruined you too.”

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Ten Years Later and Still... (CC All, Mature) Pt 16 01/19/10

Post by Midwest Max »

Well, here it is - the conclusion. Finally! Special thanks to Nibbles for your extraordinary patience while it took me over a year to write this. What was it supposed to be - 2500 words? I don't even remember anymore! Thanks to the rest of you for hanging in there as well. When I first started writing fanfic for Roswell, I could knock off a 17-part story in about 3 weeks. I think maybe life was simpler then. Anyhoo, thank you for reading!

Part Seventeen

Kyle watched the deep brown of his coffee turn a pale caramel color as he swirled the creamer into the cup. Across from him, Maria was just settling in, plopping her purse and jacket into the booth beside her. She was wearing a T-shirt and a pair of off-the-rack jeans, Nikes on her feet. He smiled slightly – a week without Jesse’s influence and she was already slipping back into the casual Maria he’d always known.

“Good morning, step brother,” she said, then nearly choked. “I just said that, didn’t I?”

He sighed. “It’s inevitable. I’m just glad neither of us lives at home anymore so we don’t have to see it.”

“Me too,” she agreed, grinning at the waitress as she stopped at the end of the table. “I’ll have whatever he ordered.”

As the waitress moved away, Kyle’s eyebrows lifted sharply. “Do you know what you just ordered?” he asked. “I got the big breakfast – and I mean BIG.” He’d never seen her eat more than a grapefruit and toast for the first meal of the day.

Maria shrugged. “Got a lot of moving to do today. I’ll need my energy.”

Kyle smiled at her but didn’t say anything.

“What?” she asked.

“It’s just nice, you know? You and Michael being able to pick up where you left off so easily.”

“Well, I don’t know if it’s been easy or not, but we both realize we lost a lot of time. We plan on being together all the time, so what’s the point in getting two separate places? One of them would always be empty.”

“True.” He sipped his cup, felt a tug of regret at his ten-year-long hatred of the hybrids. “Where’s the place?”

“Over off Citrus. Not the most glamorous of places, but we don’t have a lot of income right now.” Even though her words might have suggested otherwise, Maria didn’t seem concerned or unhappy about their situation.

“You’re working at the Grab ‘N Go right now, right?” Kyle asked.

She nodded. “It was either that or work for my mother and we both know how much fun that would be. Michael’s still job hunting.”

“What does he want to do?”

“At this moment, he doesn’t care. For now, we just need to make the rent.”

“What’s he interested in?”

Maria shrugged. “Other than your Road Warrior, nothing in particular at the moment.”

One corner of Kyle’s mouth jerked upward. “My what?”

She waved a hand dismissively. “You know, that scrap heap lying beside your garage. He said Plymouth made them – whoever he is.”

Kyle stifled his grin behind his cup. “It’s a Plymouth Road Runner. Plymouth was a car manufacturer.”

“Oh. Whatever. He seemed taken by it. Obnoxiously so.” She said the last with a laugh.

Kyle swirled a sugar packet into this cup for a change of pace. Michael liked cars, Michael liked vintage cars. The helper Kyle had hired had missed work lately, and he knew from past experience that Michael was a hard worker. Maybe…

“He’s okay, you know,” he said, his words quiet.

“What do you mean?”

“As a person, Michael’s all right. I judged him – all of them – unfairly.”

Maria’s eyes softened as she reached across the table to lay her hand over his. “Kyle, you didn’t know.”

He shrugged. “Maybe not.”

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the pill bottle and thought he saw a flash of fear on his companion’s face. But instead of popping open the bottle, he set in on the table.

“I don’t need those anymore,” he explained. “After ten years of pain, I feel like my head is clear for the first time. And it’s because of people I hated for a very long time.”

“But you were in pain because of them, right?” Maria baited cautiously.

“No, not them. Just her. What I saw in Max’s mind when he fixed me…” He shook his head and looked away. “She did a number on everyone. She ruined everyone.”

Maria gave him a gentle smile. “She didn’t ruin anybody but Alex, Kyle. She just threw the rest of us a speed bump, that’s all. We’re going to recover from this – all of us. Things will work out the way they were supposed to be, just ten years after the fact.”

“Do you believe that?”

“Yep, I do. Oh look – here comes a shitload of food.”

They were silent as the waitress deftly maneuvered their plates onto the table. When she moved away, Maria picked up her utensils to dig in, but Kyle sort of stared at his food for a moment.

“Hate really is a wasted emotion,” he said, lifting his eyes to Maria. “You don’t know how exhausting it is to carry around so much hate.”

“So let it go,” she advised. “And stop kicking yourself. You didn’t know, period. None of us did until Liz found Max.”

The bell above the door chimed and out of habit, they both looked toward it. Isabel glided in, straight to the counter. She said something to the waitress behind the bar, who nodded and moved toward the kitchen.

“I’ll be back,” Kyle said, slipping from the booth before Maria could protest. Taking cautious but determined steps, he reached Isabel’s side and cleared his throat.

Isabel glanced at him, then stood up straight. “Hi, Kyle.”

“Hi. Um, I wanted to apologize.”

“For what?”

“For being, well…less than hospitable when you first came back to town.”

She gave him a smile and started digging in her purse for her wallet. “It’s okay, I understand.”

“I was really a jerk,” he continued. “I’m glad you’re back, actually. I’m happy you’re back. Of all of them, I missed you and your friendship the most.”

She stopped rummaging in her purse and looked at him with warmth. “Thank you, Kyle. I’ve missed you too.”

“And I like your hair like that,” he said, gesturing upwards.

Isabel’s eyes lifted toward a lock of hair that had strayed onto her forehead. “Really?”

Kyle nodded, felt himself struggling not to blush. He was saved by the waitress returning with a take out bag for Isabel.

“Can I buy your breakfast?” he offered. “Or maybe you’d like to join me and Maria?”

“I’d love to,” she said, handing the girl a ten and telling her to keep the change. “But this is for my dad. I thought I’d surprise him.”

“Oh, okay. Some other time, then?”

“Definitely.” With that, she leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “See you later, Kyle.”

He watched her go, then caught Maria’s gaze. She was grinning at him, her cheeks puffed with pancake and for the first time in a long time Kyle felt like maybe everything was going to be okay.

*~*~*~*~*

Max and Liz had yet to rise for the day. They lay together on the bed in Liz’s apartment, their clothing strewn across the floor. In one corner, Max’s suitcase was flipped open haphazardly, the leg of a pair of jeans escaping from one side.

“I could get used to this,” Liz said, her voice throaty.

“Mmm hmm,” Max agreed, trailing kisses along her throat.

“No more motels.”

“Uh uh.”

“No more Niagara Falls.” At that, she scowled. She didn’t care if she never saw that natural wonder again.

“Nope.”

“I want to get married.”

Max lifted his head, hair disheveled, eyes tired slits. “Okay.”

*~*~*~*~*

Isabel pushed open the door to her father’s law firm and greeted his secretary, Elise, with a smile. “Hi,” she said. “Is my dad in?”

Elise, more than familiar with the Evans children, gave Isabel a warm smile. “Just a few moments, Isabel. He’s with someone.”

Isabel reached into the bag and pulled out a blueberry muffin. “I brought breakfast. I remembered that you liked these.”

Elise’s face lit up. “Like them? I love them! I’m going to go refill the coffee maker. Your dad should be out shortly.”

Isabel watched her go, felt happy inside that she could make someone’s day just by remembering they liked the CrashDown’s blueberry muffins. She took a seat before the desk, flipped through a magazine. Every now and then she could hear laughter coming from her father’s office – his guest was decidedly male.

Just when she was getting bored, Phillip’s door swung open and she could see both of them clearly. For some reason, her father had a cigar in his hand. The curiosity of that was lost when Isabel’s eyes landed on her father’s guest.

He was a gorgeous man – nice body, bronze skin, silky-looking hair, and perfect, beautiful teeth. When he caught her eye, his smile faded from goofy to pleasantly surprised.

“Isabel,” Phillip said jovially, reaching out a hand for his daughter. “I’d like you to meet Jesse Ramirez.”

Years of covering her emotions enabled her to rise, put out her hand, and control the nervous sweating and trembling long enough to shake hands with the man. “Nice to meet you. I’m Phillip’s daughter, Isabel.”

“I’m delighted,” Jesse replied, slowly dropping her hand.

“Jesse’s going to be my new man on the east coast,” Phillip said. “Boston, in fact.”

“Boston,” Isabel repeated with interest, looking at her father while she spoke just to break the gaze of the handsome stranger. “That explains the cigars.”

Phillip shrugged. “We’re expanding – it’s a time to celebrate!”

She gave him a nod and a smile and looked back to Jesse Ramirez. “I love Boston,” she said.

At that, he seemed surprised. “You’ve been?”

“A few times. I love the coast and the ocean – I think it comes from growing up in the desert.”

He laughed, a warm, kind laugh and Isabel felt something inside of her lurch, in a good way. “Well, maybe someday you can be my guest.”

At that, everything inside lurched and there was no denying the attraction between them. Her grin grew three blocks wide as she replied, “Maybe.”

*~*~*~*~*

Michael stretched to hold up his end of the curtain rod; on the other side, Maria was teetering precariously on the arm of the chair. They were hanging new drapes over the large front window of their apartment. Large – that made Michael snort inside. This window wasn’t half the size of just one of the windows in the house Maria had just moved from.

“Got it,” Maria said, her voice strained as the rod popped into place.

Michael put his end in the bracket and they both stepped back to survey their work.

“Is it even?” she asked.

He closed one eye, then the other. “Yep.”

“That looks pretty good, doesn’t it?”

“You pick out good curtains, babe.”

She laughed lightly as she moved to a box near the door, bent over to pick it up. Michael corralled the tools they’d used to hang the drapery hardware.

“That’s a nice house Jesse has,” he said tentatively, eying her peripherally for a reaction.

“It’s for sale, if you’re interested.”

“Why’s it for sale?”

Maria shrugged. “I guess it was too small.”

Michael stopped in his tracks, tried to see if he could detect any sarcasm. She looked straight back, one hand on her hip, a challenge.

“We’re not doing this,” she said simply. “I don’t want what I had with Jesse. I don’t want that life, or that house. I just want to be with you, Michael. Let’s get that straight now and not talk about it again.”

Her words had no bite to them, but he still put his hands up in surrender anyway.

“Okay,” he said. “We won’t talk about him again.”

Maria sighed. “That’s not what I meant. We can talk about Jesse – I was with him for a long time and it would be stupid to think he’s not going to come up every now and then. I just don’t want you to think that I valued material things I had with him more than I value you.”

Her gaze softened and she walked over to stand before him, put her arms around his shoulders and looked straight into his eyes.

“I could live in a cardboard box on the street and still be happy, as long as you were with me,” she said.

Michael grinned, believing her, and bent to kiss her long and slow. When they parted, he said, “I guess we can throw away the Jimmy Choo’s then.”

Maria’s eyebrows shot up. “Anything but the Choo’s – I may never be able to afford another pair in my life.”

He laughed and swept her into his arms, started down the hallway to the bedroom, dodging boxes as he went.

“What are you doing?” she laughed. “We have boxes to unpack!”

“They’ll wait,” he said, covering her lips with his. “We have new mattresses to test out.”

Maria felt her stomach tumble – they hadn’t ventured this far since they’d been reunited. Her mind slipped back ten years, to his couch in that shabby apartment, when he’d let her “see” him for the first time.

As Michael eased her to the mattress – which was lying outside of the frame on the bedroom floor – he was surprised to see the laughter gone from her eyes. “Too soon?” he asked.

She shook her head slowly. “No, it’s just…”

“What?” he asked, smoothing her hair away from her face.

“We should have hung curtains in here first.”

He lifted an eyebrow, then looked toward the window – there was a direct line of sight to the playground behind the apartment building. As he swore, he heard Maria laugh, then felt soft hands in his hair. He looked down at her, saw a smile in her eyes.

“The mattress can be moved,” she suggested.

After Michael had hauled the cumbersome mattress into the living room and dropped it on the floor, he took her hand and pulled her down beside him. They spent the afternoon there, never in a hurry like their previous time together when there had been a spaceship to catch. They laughed, they even cried a little, but they knew they’d found one another again.

And as they drifted off to sleep in each other’s arms, Maria realized that she hadn’t felt this at peace in a very long time. She was where she was meant to be, with the person she was meant to be with. Because it was ten years later and still no one could complete her the way that he did.

THE END