Happy (M/L AU/Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Happy (M/L AU/Adult) ~TEN~ 10/06/08

Post by RosDude »

A big thanks to:

RiceKrispy
keepsmiling7
carolina_moon
Alien_Friend
DMartinez
Emz80m
behrluv32
begonia9508
scorpio6
Natalie36
Wench On A Leash
bella_svetlana
Cocogurl
CandyDreamQueen
Moonlit Jade
nitpick23

You bunch of turncoats, you! :twisted:

First you were all: “Oh, poor Max.” and now you’re all: “Ugh, what a douche!” What happened to the love? What happened to the support? What happened to the “Awe, this guy really needs a hug?” lol. :lol:

Seriously, I understand what you all are saying. Max screwed up big time! But do me a favor and don’t be so hard on the guy. I’m not saying he wasn’t a douche for what he said. In fact, it was probably number 1 on the list of things not to say to your wife after she just had a miscarriage, but give the guy a break. Do it for me? Pretty please? After all, he is a guy. I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but we’re not exactly the brightest breed. lol

Anyway, thank you all so much for reading, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting… And thanks for all the great feedback. I really enjoyed reading it. Just a heads up. The next chapter will probably be the last. I haven’t quite decided yet. If it’s not the last chapter then the chapter after it will definitely be the last.

Enjoy!

~Chad~
~~ELEVEN~~

There’s something very peculiar about enlightenment. It’s like suddenly being able to see again after having been blind for a long period of time. Or slipping on a pair of glasses when you thought you saw perfectly before. The difference hits you hard and fast. Everything you thought you were seeing clearly becomes nothing more than a blur, and what you see now changes your entire vision. It’s potent, and profound, and takes some getting used to. But once you are used to your newfound enlightenment, it makes everything so much better.

I brushed Liz’s hair back away from her face and kissed her forehead. I felt enlightened, and it felt good. Oddly enough it was laughably easy for me to let go of all of the emotions I’d felt before. None of it seemed to matter anymore. All that mattered was her, and me, and the two of us getting our life back together.

I know that feelings aren’t often this easy to change. Love and hate are two of the most powerful emotions a human being can experience. They are also two of the closest. Sometimes it is intense love that creates hate, just as extreme hatred can come from a love so deep. But understanding how close those two emotions really are can change everything about them.

Yeah, enlightenment was a heady thing.

I felt her stir beside me. She was starting to wake up. I watched as her eyes fluttered opened slowly and she looked up at me. Just as I remembered, it was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. It reminded me of so many mornings before, when she opened her eyes, and I had the honor of being the first thing she laid eyes upon.

The luckiest man in the world.

I didn’t want to leave her side. Away from her was the last place I wanted to be, but everyone was still waiting outside, and I wanted to let them know she was awake. “Everyone’s waiting to see you,” I told her. “Is it alright if I go and get them?”

I felt her nod silently against my chest. I squeezed her hand and waited until I felt her squeeze mine back. “I’ll be right back,” I promised, sliding off the bed. I held on to her hand for as long as I possibly could as I walked to the door. When I stepped outside of the room, everyone was waiting for me. They all looked worried and anxious. I’m sure those words couldn’t compare to what they were feeling inside.

“She’s awake,” I told them.

The whole room sighed in relief. Her mother and father were the first to push past me and enter her room. Nancy Parker hurried over to the seat at Liz’s bedside that I had previously been sitting in. She took her hand. “My Lizzie,” she whispered down to her daughter. “My beautiful little girl.” Mr. Parker just stood silently at the side of the bed.

I stood in the doorway watching them, not wanting to interrupt this fragile moment between my wife and her family. Her father stroked her hair, while her mother kissed her bruised cheeks. The three of them spoke so lowly to one another that I couldn’t hear their words. I could see Liz nod every now and again, and she even managed to smile up at her parents a few times. There were tears in her mother’s eyes, and her father looked as if he was trying very hard to hold back his own.

I was preparing to slink out of the room to give them more privacy, when she called out my name. “Max.”

Her voice was soft, so weak I almost couldn’t hear it. “What is it, baby?” I asked turning around.

“Please don’t go,” she said, never taking her eyes away from me. Her parents’ eyes were glued to me as well. They watched me threateningly, like any parent in this situation, expecting me to grant their little girl’s every request, or else.

I ignored her parents’ intimidating glares and smiled reassuringly at her. “I’m not going anywhere,” I said stepping away from the door and back into the room.

And I wasn’t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was another two days before I was allowed to take her home with me. Because of the damage she’d sustained, Dr. Kirkland had wanted to keep her longer, just to make sure she was alright. I stayed with her for almost all of those two days, hardly ever leaving her side. Thankfully, she didn’t seem to mind my company.

Unbelievably enough, by some miracle I couldn’t even begin to express how thankful I was for, she hadn’t lost our baby. She’d cried when they’d told her that – great big sobbing, body quivering tears.

I’d cried too.

Liz’s parents were with me the day I brought her home. They’d wanted to take her home with them, but Liz had objected to that plan, and so had I. Her mother had then volunteered to stay with us instead, but I’d declined that offer as well. I guaranteed Mr. and Mrs. Parker that I could take care of their daughter fine on my own. The truth was I didn’t want her parents there. There were a lot of things Liz and I needed to work out, and we didn’t need her parents hovering in the background while we did it.

Her mother seemed skeptical of my ability to take care of her daughter, and with the way things had been between the two of us before the accident, I couldn’t say that I blamed Nancy Parker for having doubts. But things were different now. I could feel it. Maybe it was because my eyes were opened now, or maybe it was just simple wishful thinking, but I suddenly felt like the two of us had a chance again.

Once I had Liz settled in bed, her mother and father lingered at her bedside, asking her mundane questions and making sure she was comfortable. She assured them that she was fine, and that I was there if she needed anything, reassuring them of her reliance in me. After a little more nudging on Liz’s and my part, and with obvious reluctance, the Parkers left our apartment.

Finally, we were alone.

And just like that, everything I’d wanted to say to her, but couldn’t because of the presence of her parents flew right out of my head. Instead, I just stood there wordlessly, having no idea what to say to her.

“Are you feeling okay?” I finally asked. I could have smacked myself immediately after the words came out of my mouth. I was sure the answer hadn’t changed since her mother had asked the same question five minutes ago.

“I’m fine,” she answered anyway, even though I know she was aware of the repetitiveness of the question.

“Do you need anything?” Another dumb question. Boy was I on a roll.

She shook her head.

“Okay,” I said, standing there like an idiot. Okay? That’s all you have to say? Okay? I suddenly felt like the biggest moron on the planet. I was starting to think that sending her parents away hadn’t been such a good idea.

“Just you,”

I looked at her. She looked even smaller in our bed then she had in the hospital bed. She was surrounded by pillows, and covered in about a hundred blankets. She pushed them off of her and sat up against the headboard. “I just need you, Max,” she repeated, and held her hand out to me.

I was at her side in less than a heartbeat. I didn’t recall climbing into the bed, but suddenly I was lying there beside her, and she was wrapped closely in my arms. “I’m here,” I promised, kissing her on the top of her head. “I’ll always be here.” I felt her nod against my chest. “I’m so sorry,” I said. I knew sorry wasn’t nearly enough, but I felt like I had to say it.

She pulled slightly away from me so that there was enough space between the two of us for her to look up into my eyes. “What do you have to be sorry for?” she asked.

I couldn’t believe it. She didn’t know? Everything that had happened between us was all because of what I’d said to her the day she’d lost our baby, and she didn’t even know it. “Liz…I…”

“I’m the one that’s sorry,” she cut me off. “I’m the one that…” she trailed off as she placed her hand over her stomach, and I knew she was thinking of the child we had lost.

I could feel my heart breaking for her. Liz blamed herself for losing our child. She blamed herself, and she thought I blamed her too. It was no wonder she was scared about this pregnancy.

I placed my hand over hers and squeezed her hand beneath mine. “Look at me,” I commanded, and waited for her eyes to meet mine. “What happened before, it was not your fault.”

“But Max–”

“No,” I cut her off before she could make any protest. “It wasn’t your fault, Liz, and this…what’s happened between us, this isn’t your fault either.”

She shook her head anyway. “I should have been more careful. I shouldn’t have worked so hard at the house. You told me not to work so hard.” Her voice quivered, and I could see the tears that had started to form in her eyes. “I hate that house, Max! I hate it!”

“No, baby, no.” I brushed the wetness away from her soft bruised cheeks. “I need you to listen to me, and I need you to really hear me, okay? I don’t blame you for what happened. I’ve never blamed you.”

“But…at the hospital…you said…you asked me…” Her voice hiccupped and she looked up at me, confusion written clearly on her face.

“I know what I said.” God, if she only knew. I would give anything in the world just to be able to take those words back. “They were words, Liz – stupid, stupid words that I wish I’d never said. But no matter what I said that day, you have to know that I don’t blame you for losing our little girl. I really don’t.”

She looked down at the bedcovers. I could tell she didn’t believe me. “How could you not?” she whispered.

I didn’t blame her. I wanted her to know that more than anything. But even if I was able to convince her that what I said was true, I didn’t know what to say to make her stop blaming herself. “It just happened, Liz. It wasn’t because of anything you did, or anything I did.” I tried to console her. “Nobody’s fault.”

She laid her head against my chest so I could no longer see her face. I still wasn’t sure if she believed me or not, but her actions told me that she didn’t want to talk about it anymore, at least not right now.

We laid there in silence for I’m not sure how long, but we didn’t sleep. I was too wired to sleep, and she seemed to be feeling the same way. We didn’t talk either. I was okay with that. There were still a lot of things that we needed to say to one another, but at that very moment, with her lying in my arms, it just didn’t seem important that they be said.

I looked up at the clock. It was just past six, and the days light was beginning to fade. I hadn’t turned the lights on in the bedroom, so the only light in the room stemmed from slits in the blinds of our bedroom window.

She shifted a little, looking at the clock herself. “It’s getting late,” she mused.

I nodded.

“We should probably eat something.”

I looked down at her. “Are you hungry?”

She nodded. “A little.” Her stomach picked that moment to let out an alerting little growl, confirming her hunger.

I arched a brow, “A little?”

She laughed, “Okay, a lot.”

I laughed softly at her before rolling out of bed. “You should have said something.”

“I didn’t want you to stop,” she confessed.

“Stop what?” I asked.

She looked down sheepishly. “Holding me.”

I smiled and leaned down to kiss her on her forehead. “I’ll be right back.”

She lifted up and kissed me on the lips. “I want muesli,” she said, sounding like a little kid.

“Cereal?” It wasn’t the first thing to come to mind when I thought of the word ‘meal’

She nodded and added, “Hard salami too.”

I paused. “O…kay…in the muesli?” Rolled oats, dried fruit, and …hard salami? That just sounded gross.

She rolled her eyes. “No, not in the muesli.”

Okay, that was less gross, but still a strange combination of foods to be eating at the same time. “Right, what was I thinking?”

“Put the salami on a separate plate. And don’t forget to microwave it.”

I nodded. “And would the lady like a drink to go with her cereal and…microwaved hard salami?” I asked doing my best butler’s impersonation.

“No!” she said, staring at me as if I were insane. “It’ll kill the taste of the muesli.”

“Yes Madame.” I laughed all the way as I hurried into the kitchen to make her strange meal.

I returned to the room and presented her he meal. I could only gawk at her in unreserved astonishment as she gobbled down the food like she hadn’t eaten in days. She polished off the bowl of muesli quickly, then tore into the plate of hard salami. I almost gagged when she washed the salami down with the remaining milk from her cereal bowl.

“Better?” I asked when she was finally finished.

“Much.” She belched softly, and placed her hand over her mouth in embarrassment. “Excuse me,” she mumbled underneath her hand.

I laughed before reaching over to take the bowl and plate off of her lap. “You’re excused.”

Now that she had eaten, she seemed a little more refreshed. “You should go back to work tomorrow,” she said suddenly leaning over me.

I sat up, shaking my head in protestation. “No, I’m staying here so I can take care of you.”

“Max…”

“I promised you I would be here for you, and I’m going to.” There was no way I was leaving her alone. Not after everything we’d been through.

She reached over and touched my cheek. “I’ll be fine. I can have my mom come over. She wouldn’t mind. But I know you, Max. I know what’s important to you, and your patients are counting on you.”

I shook my head. “You’re the most important thing in the world to me,” I said. “You, and our baby.”

I touched her stomach. We hadn’t talked about the baby since the doctors had informed us that he or she was still alive and well inside of her. I don’t think either of us really wanted to broach the subject.

We were going to talk about it now.

She looked down at my hand. “I–I don’t think I want to have an abor…” she paused, unable to say the word. “I don’t want to lose this baby too.”

“I don’t want that either.”

She took a deep breath, leading me to believe that it was difficult for her to speak. “But…I don’t want to lose you either.”

“You won’t,” I promised. Not this time.

She laughed somberly. “You can say that so easily now, but you don’t know! What if…what if something else happens and I…I lose this baby? How can you still love me after that?”

“Liz, I will always love you, no matter what.” Again, it was hard to tell if she believed me. She sounded so sad. I wanted so badly to take that sadness away from her. I drew her back down on the bed, and held her close to me.

She spoke quietly against my chest. “Max I…I wasn’t trying to hurt myself. I would never do that.”

She was talking about the accident. I drew her closer still, probably holding her a little too tightly inside of my arms. A sense of overwhelming relief came over me. I hadn’t really wanted to believe it, but a part of me had wondered if she’d truly been in an accident, or if she had flipped the car intentionally. “It’s okay. Just tell me what happened.”

She turned so that her voice was no longer being muffled by my shirt. “I left work early that day. I just couldn’t be there anymore. But I didn’t want to come here. This last week without you has been so quiet.”

I nodded, silently encouraging her to go on.

“I’m not sure where I was going actually. Just driving I guess. The next thing I knew the car was upside down and I couldn’t get out.” Her voice squeaked and she turned her head back into my chest. “I was so scared. All I kept thinking was that I’d lost this baby too, and that you were going to hate me. I’d already lost so much of you.”

She was crying. I could hear the tears in her voice as easily as I could feel the wetness seeping into the front of my shirt. “Somehow, I was able to drag myself out of the car. I think I must have passed out after that. I don’t remember the paramedics coming, or the drive to the hospital.”

I ran my hand through her hair, soothing her. “It’s alright. Everything is alright now.”

She continued to cry in my arms. Her body shook with the force of her sobbing. Each one of the shutters caused my heat to splinter into a million pieces. Before I realized it, tears were flowing down my own cheeks. “Let it out, baby,” I whispered to her, not even bothering to attempt to stop my own tears “Just let it out.”

She cried, and I cried. And all at once, it wasn’t just about the accident. We cried for the daughter we had lost, and the relationship that had almost been ruined by that loss. We cried for the past that we hadn’t been able to put behind us, and the future that was shinning in front of us now. We cried for the baby girl we would never get to know, and little one inside of her now that would never want for their Mommy and Daddy’s love.

We cried.

…and we cried.

Until there were no tears left.

TBC
RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Happy (M/L AU/Adult) ~COMPLETE ~ 1/27/09

Post by RosDude »

Well here it is. The last part. I just have to say a very special thank you to everyone that read this story.

Alien_Friend
begonia9508
behrluv32
Behrsgirl77
BelevnDreamsToo
believer_evans
bella_svetlana
CandyDreamQueen
carolina_moon
cassie
Cocogurl
confusedfool
Daydreamer23
DMartinez
dreamsatnight
Dream Weaver
Emz80m
Evelynn
Gaby7tvm
guelbebek
keepsmiling7
Michelle in Yonkers
Moonlit Jade
Mrs.Dude
Natalie36
Natz
nitpick23
Nz_Roswell
RiceKrispy
ruthandnina
scorpio6
Smac
sprayadhesive
Sweet Liz
thetvgeneral
Walking Contradiction
Wench On A Leash

I hope it moved you. :wink:

~~TWELVE~~

After the accident, things started to get better for Liz and me. We weren’t at the same place in our relationship we had been at before we’d lost our little girl. And maybe that was a good thing. Now we were moving forward with our lives. And in the end, after everything was said and done, both of us were a little bit smarter, a little bit wiser, and maybe even a little bit stronger for it. As much as it had all hurt to go through, a part of me recognized that it was because we’d gone there that we’d been able to strengthen our relationship this way. We’d been pushed to brink of our resilience, the absolute limit of our love’s endurance. We’d tested its strength and fortitude, and somehow, our love had managed to survive.

We had managed to survive.

We would always be better people for that.

I knew things were not going to be easy for us. We both had a lot that we still needed to learn. We needed to learn to trust each other again. We needed to learn how not to hurt each other anymore. And we needed to learn how to be there for one another, whenever the other one needed us. But I believed we could do it. Deep in my soul, I believed we could do anything, as long as we were together. And finally, I knew, Liz believed that too.

Every night we’d lie in bed and talk for hours and hours about things we had never talked about before. We’d both been too scared before. But not anymore. She talked about her hopes and fears for our future, and I talked about my wishes and dreams for us. And as we continued to do this, something amazing started to happen. She started to open back up to me. She started to believe in me again. And I started to believe in us. She was able to give me something as precious as her trust, with the assurance that I would guard it like the most valued treasure that it was.

And I would guard it for the rest of my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You seem different today.”

I looked down at Paula, who was sitting straight up in her bed. I’d stepped into her room for just a second to check on her. It had been almost a month since I’d last talked to her. Even though I was Paula’s primary care physician, I was only a conferring doctor on her chondrosarcoma, so I wasn’t the first to receive information regarding what was going on with her. And since Dr. Thatcher had not formally invited me to consult, I was mostly keeping my distance. But I missed Paula a great deal, and it was good to finally see her again after not having seen her in so long. No matter how much I didn’t want to say it, Paula McGinnis was, and always would be, a very special lady in my heart.

“Hey Paula, how are you feeling this morning?” I asked as I closed the door behind me.

“Eh, one good, not two good,” she answered, giving me a once over. “But you seem to be in a better mood since the last time I saw you.”

I had to wonder if my emotions were truly that transparent, or if Paula was just that apt at reading me. “I’m doing alright.” I answered.

“Well, it’s good to hear at least one of us is.”

I smiled warmly at her and took her chart out from underneath my arm. “Alright Paula, let’s talk about doctor stuff.”

Paula shook her head. “Neh, I’d rather talk about life stuff.”

Her words confused me. “Paula?”

“Come have a seat kid.” She pointed to the chair at her bedside. “We can talk about all that medical stuff later. First, I have something I want to show you.”

I walked over the chair Paula had indicated and took a seat, wondering what she wanted to talk to me about. This was all sort of unorthodox, but nothing about my relationship with Paula had ever been conventional, so it didn’t really bother me. “What is it Paula?” I asked.

I watched her curiously as Paula opened the drawer beside her and took out what appeared to be a framed photograph. She smiled down at it fondly, then handed it to me. “Take a look at this, kid,” she said.

I took the photo from her hands and studied it. In the picture, a much younger version of Paula stared back at me, as she leaned happily over the shoulder of a man that I didn’t recognize. Her arms were draped loosely around his shoulders, and he was smiling up at her happily. There was obvious adoration in his gaze.

“Paula, Paula, Paula! I knew you were a looker, but wow!” I teased.

Paula laughed softly. “Don’t you give me none of that smooth tongue of yours. I’m too old to be charmed by flattering words.”

“Who’s being flattering?” I asked. “The guy in this picture sure is one lucky dude.”

Paula laughed. “That’s my late husband,” she explained. “Sean McGinnis. Great big Irishmen.” Paula sighed dreamily. “I tell you, God don’t make ‘em like that anymore, not like He made my Sean.”

I smiled down at the picture. Paula and her husband appeared genuinely happy. I’d certainly never seen her smile that way before. “It’s a very nice picture, Paula,” I said handing it back to her.

Paula looked back at the picture and smiled. “Yeah, it’s one of my favorites.” Instead of placing it back in the bedside drawer, she placed it on top, angling it towards her. “He passed away ten years ago.”

It was odd. In the three years that I’d known Paula, she’d never once talked about her late husband. I knew she had been married before. She talked about her kids, grand kids, and great grand kids all the time. But she’d never said anything about her late husband.

“It’s funny. It’s been so long, but I can still remember the day we took this picture like it was yesterday.” Paula seemed to be talking more to herself than she was to me. “I remember the day he died too,” she continued. “It was the saddest day of my life.”

There was a sadness in Paula’s tone that I was certain I’d ever heard before. “I’m sorry Paula,” I said. And I really was.

Paula looked up at me sharply. She frowned, as if somehow she were confused by my words. “Don’t be sorry, kid. He got to go home.”

Home. I thought about the conversation I’d had with Paula earlier that month. It seemed so long ago, but I remembered the exact words she’d spoken to me that night:

“Go home, kid. Trust me. It’s the only place in the world you should ever want to be.”

I looked at Paula. She wasn’t looking at me anymore. Instead, her gaze was fixed intensely on the photograph on the table beside her. She reached over and stroked the frame lovingly. “Yeah, my Sean got to go home.” She mused allowed. And I could tell that she wasn’t just talking out loud to herself anymore. When she did turn back to look at me, I could see the tears that lingered in the corner of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall, and she didn’t take her eyes off of me as she spoke. “Soon I’ll get to go home too.”

Paula had never said more to me than she had in those few words. I knew what they meant. I knew what she was saying to me. Paula McGinnis was going home. This was her way of telling me that she knew. She knew she was dying. And I knew she was right.

I didn’t know what to say. In that moment I felt flooded with an intense desire to let tears spill from my own eyes, and yet at the same time, there was a sense of joy that overwhelmed me unlike anything I had ever felt before. So instead of trying to find the perfect medically reassuring words to say to Paula – my patient – my friend – my grandmother, I just smiled at her. “Yeah Paula. You’ll get to go home soon too.”

She smiled at me as she reached over to take my hand. Then she looked back at the photograph. “You’re a real good kid...Max.”

It was the first and last time she would ever call me by my name.

I squeezed her hand in mine, and smiled back at her. “And you’re a pretty good patient, Mrs. McGinnis.”

Paula’s mouth quirked up in a smile, and I felt her squeeze my hand back. I leaned back in my chair, never letting go of her hand, and sat my chart down on the floor beside me. Paula was right. There would be plenty of time for medical stuff later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paula McGinnis died at the age of eighty-nine.

She died peacefully in her sleep. There was no one at her bedside when she passed. No one else, other than me came to see her before she died. Someone sent flowers to the room, but they turned out to be for a patient that had previously been staying in Paula’s room. Paula did have family. She had children and a slew of grand and great-grand children. None of them came to see her. None of them lived in Roswell. Paula’s brother was listed as her closest next of kin. He was an eighty-two year old man with a friendly sounding voice, but because of the Alzheimer’s, he didn’t seem to have any recollection of who Paula was, even though he seemed genuinely upset to hear that she’d passed.

Four days after Paula’s death, one of her daughters did finally show up to make funeral arrangements. The service was fairly simple, with very little fanfare. People cried and mourned, as was customary, but after the burial, there wasn’t much discussion of Paula, or the life she had lived. I didn’t stay very long. No one seemed to care.

I visited Paula’s grave on my own the week after her burial. Her tombstone read Paula Lorrain McGinnis. “Loving Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Great-grandmother.” 1919 – 2008. The first time I read it, I had the strangest desire to add the word “patient” to the list. I knew Paula would have gotten a kick out of that.

“Hey Paula,” I greeted her, just as I had at all of our doctor’s appointments. “I won’t stay long. I know you have things to do.” I reached into my pocket and took out a folded up photograph. It was the same picture of Paula and her husband that she’d shown me in the hospital. I leaned down and sat it against her tombstone. “I thought you might want this with you.”

A gentle breeze wafted past me, causing me to shake my head in laughter. “You're right. What am I saying? You don’t need this anymore, do you?”

The breeze drifted past me again, and I could practically hear the sound of Paula’s laughter whispering on the wind. No, she didn’t need the photo anymore. She had the real thing.

I bent down and picked the picture up, placing it back in my pocket. “Okay Paula, then how about I hold on to it for you, just for safe keeping?” The touch of the wind against my face told me Paula liked that idea.

I looked up at the sky and smiled. “Yeah, I’ll keep it for you, Paula. I’ll find the perfect place for it.”

I started to leave, but stopped myself. There was one more thing I needed to say to Paula McGinnis before we parted for the final time. With one last glance down at her tombstone, I placed my fingers to my lips, then touched them to the stone. “Welcome home, Mrs. McGinnis,” I whispered. “He’s been waiting for you for a long time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz held onto my hand tightly as the two of us walked up the driveway of Forty-five twenty-three New Castle Avenue, together for the first time since the day she’d miscarried our little girl. I looked down at her. She was looking directly at the house in front of us, but I couldn’t read the expression on her face. “Are you okay?” I asked her.

She nodded, but she didn’t turn away from the house.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” I asked.

She nodded again.

I lifted her hand and placed a kiss against the center of her palm, drawing her attention back to me. “Hey, I’m with you, okay?”

She let out a shaky sigh. “I know,” she breathed.

“Always,” I added, just to reassure her.

“I’m ready Max,” she told me, even though there was still a small hitch in her voice. But she started walking towards the doorway without any encouragement from me, and I allowed her to bring me with her.

“There are sixteen steps from the driveway to the door,” she said, turning to look at me when we reached the entryway. “I counted them back when we were…”

I nodded, not needing her to finish.

“I thought these were the hardest steps I would ever have to take in my life.”

No, the hardest steps to take would be the ones that led to the nursery door. I knew that because it had been just as hard for me to take those same steps a few weeks ago. “Whenever you’re ready to take them, I’ll be here to take them with you.” I promised.

She looked at me, and I could tell she wanted to say something, but her mouth remained closed. She gripped my hand tighter, and the two of us entered the doorway.

Just like before, nothing had changed. The house was a time capsule of redecorating memories. Paint and cleaning supplies here, a ladder there. I moved the ladder in the foyer, making it so that it was easier for Liz to pass. But she didn’t seem to notice the mess. Instead, she headed straight for the stairwell, and stood motionless at the bottom step.

She looked up the stairs and I looked at her. Waiting for her to make her move whenever she was ready. With a deep sigh, the heaviest I had ever heard, she took the first step. She stood there for a moment, and I stood behind her, waiting to see what she would do next. Then she took another step. Then another, and another, until the two of us were standing at the top of the stairway.

I had never been more proud of her in my entire life. But there was still one more milestone we needed to pass. She turned around and looked at me, and I smiled reassuringly at her. She took my hand and started to walk.

I could swear time started to move in slow motion. All I could see in front of me was the door to the nursery getting closer and closer. But she didn’t stop, and so the two of us kept walking, until we stood in front of the door. I reached for the doorknob. “Do you want me to…?”

She shook her head and placed her hand over my own. “No, I want to do it.”

We did it together.

We pushed the door opened and entered the room.

The sight of the white walls and yellow ducks was like a punch to the gut. I thought I was ready for it. Turns out, I wasn’t. Even so, Liz stepped into the room slowly. I watched her as she looked around, just as I had my first time returning to this house after being gone for so long. Because I was watching her so closely, I saw the exact moment her gaze landed on the ugly little rocking chair.

I heard her gasp, and I thought she would break, but she didn’t. She walked slowly over to the chair and stood in front of it. I walked up behind her and placed my hands on her shoulders. “Do you remember?” I whispered.

She nodded silently.

“So do I,” I told her. “I remember how proud you were of it. I remember taking forever to get it ready.” I laughed. “I remember getting sand stuck in my underwear every day for a week.”

She laughed too. “And in your hair,” she added ruffling her fingers through my hair.

“Yeah, and in the pocket of my favorite jeans.”

She laughed again, and the sound of her laughter was so happy, it almost brought tears to my eyes. Making a decision, I moved myself in front of her, and sat down in the chair. Then I held my hand out her. She hesitated for only a second, before allowing me to pull her down into my lap.

I leaned back in the chair and wrapped my arms around her waist, cupping her stomach in the palm of my hands. She rested her head on my chest and looked over at the table sitting beside the rocking chair.

To my surprise, she reached over and picked up the picture of our ultrasound. I watched her closely as she looked down at it for what seemed like hours, but had to have only been a few seconds. When I felt a wetness fall against my the back of my hand, I knew she hadn’t been able to hold the tears at bay.

“It’s okay,” I whispered against her ear. “It’s okay to miss her.” I kissed the top of her head. “It’s okay to love her.”

I felt her nod against my chest. “I know,” she answered. “I do.”

And I knew the two of us would always love our little girl.

Forever and ever.

We sat that way for I don’t know how long. I started to rock, the motion was soothing for both of us. Finally, Liz turned around and looked up at me as best she could in our position. “She would have loved this chair, don’t you think?”

I nodded and kissed her brow again.

“Do you think…” she looked down at my hand resting over her stomach. “Do you think our new baby will love it too?” she asked.

I stopped rocking. We’d come here for closure. It was something that both of us needed if we were going to move on with our life together. But I’d never imagined that she’d ever want to keep this house. “Liz, are you saying…?” I let the question trail off.

She nodded silently. “I want…I want to live here, Max.” She sat the ultrasound picture back down on the table. “It’s our home.” She looked from the picture back up to me “It’s her home,” she added.

I looked down at Liz and nodded my head in agreement. I looked over at the table with the ultrasound picture and felt a smile start to form on my lips. It would be the perfect place to put Paula’s picture.

“You’re right, baby. This is our home, and it should be our children’s home.” And as I sat there, my arms wrapped tightly around my wife and my unborn child, I knew this was the only place in the world I would ever want to be.

And I was happy.
The End