The Last Sunset (M/L) - COMPLETE

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

The Last Sunset (M/L) - COMPLETE

Post by nickimlow »

Title: The Last Sunset
Author: Nicole
Category: Max and Liz (CC)
Disclaimer: I own nothing but my ideas.
Summary: No aliens in this fic. Max is heartbroken to have seen Liz and Kyle *together*. Little does he know what she's going through - the real reason to why she turned away from him.

PART ONE

Max knew that he'd never learn to love her. His heart and soul was devoted to one - and only one. No matter how hard he tried, there was no more denying that no one would ever take a certain someone's place in his heart. Right now, the guilt was nagging his conscience - tearing him apart.

Soft, rose-scented, honey-blonde curls were draped across his bare skin. Smooth, delicate hands were spread across his chest. What had happened the previous night was - and was always going to be - the biggest, deepest regret of his entire life.

The small figure entwined with his own body stirred. Tess turned around, opening her eyes, only to shade them from the sunlight that was already beginning to stream through the cream-coloured curtains. Max glanced at her with a forced smile. "Hey."

"Mmm … Morning, Max … " After a few seconds, she sighed dreamily, "Last night was … wonderful."

Not wanting to upset her, Max agreed with her. "Yeah … " he said, a little less enthusiastically.

Well, it wasn't that she noticed. She yawned widely. "We had a really late night," she said with a sheepish grin. "I, for one, am going to continue with my beauty sleep."

"Uh - yeah. Sure," Max replied, his mind already wandering off.

He'd seen 'her' that night. It had broken his heart when he'd looked in through her window and seen what he'd seen. She lay on the bed with her slender leg exposed from beneath the bright red covers - with Kyle, Buddha-boy, beside her. And she'd seen him standing out on her balcony with a pair of tickets for the concert they had planned to see together. It ached every time the memory flooded back. He never ceased to wonder why she'd done it. She really wasn't the type - he knew her only too well to know that she would never do such a thing. But she'd done it.

It did, however, explain one thing - the reason to why she'd been acting so strangely before that night. She had been very uneasy around him, often distant and hard to reach - not to mention extremely quiet.

But it was very strange. Had she done that on purpose - perhaps to open his eyes - to make him see reality? Because she'd known that he was going to be there that night. And then there was the fact that she and Kyle were acting as though nothing had happened. They spoke to each other, but just to that extent. Anyone with brains would know that there was nothing besides friendship going on between them.

A week had passed since 'that night'. Max still spoke to her, but not like before. There was always an air of awkwardness between them - naturally. He didn't know why he still wanted to be with her, after having witnessed with his own eyes her betrayal and unfaithfulness.

Max had been so distraught that he'd turned to Tess, who was always they're waiting for him. But he'd never dreamed of it going this far. What was it that had driven him to do it? How could he have lost control of himself so easily?

As the tears in his eyes rolled down his cheeks, he realised that there was no changing the fact that the only person he ever loved, did love, and ever will love - in this lifetime, and those to come - was Liz Parker.
Last edited by nickimlow on Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART TWO

Her usually bright and lit up eyes were now shadowed with fear and confusion. The vibrant colours had dimmed down to shades of dejection. Mixed emotions wracked her body and soul as she struggled to sort everything out. Even as the warm sunshine that flooded in through her window embraced her, she felt as though she'd just stepped into an icy shower. Time showed no mercy as it trickled slowly, prolonging her misery.

Liz stared at herself in the mirror. The girl that she saw in her reflection sure didn't look like her. She prepared herself to go downstairs. Maybe Maria was already there.

Hoping against hope that someone she could talk to was downstairs, she pulled her blouse over her head and twisted her long, raven hair into a neat knot on the back of her head. She examined herself in the mirror again. At least I look a bit normal … a little bit …

No one knew about her secret. Everyone would get really jumpy and everything if they found out. She just wanted everything to be peaceful - and she wanted to be with her friends.

But with Max, it was a completely different situation. The closer they got, the stronger their love became. She couldn't allow that to happen anymore. She wanted him to move forward - to follow the path that led to a bright future. Nevertheless, her heart still belonged to him. That was the way it was always going to be - for as long as there was going to be an 'always'.

Sooner or later, they're going to find out anyway, Liz told herself as she descended the narrow staircase. From where she stood, she saw that sitting at the table was a familiar blonde.

"Isabel!" Liz gasped in surprise.

"Yeah - hi," Isabel greeted her somewhat awkwardly.

Liz was now standing at the table, wishing she were anywhere but here - anywhere but here and near Max. She nervously tucked a few loose strands of hair behind her ear. "Hi. What's up? What're you doing here so early?" she asked, pulling out a chair and seating herself across the table from Isabel.

"Uh - I have something really important to discuss with you," Isabel said, getting right to the point.

Sure you do. You hardly ever talk to me if you can help it. Sighing heavily, her smile turning into a frown, Liz asked, "What is it?" Well, it wasn't as if she didn't already know. She saw what was coming. I was something that Isabel was itching to ask. Oh no … God, not now … Especially not from Isabel! No!

"It's - "

Here it comes, Liz thought irritably.

" - about - "

Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. Ugh … don't ask, don't ask, don't ask, don't -

" - Max."

Great. Just great. "Oh … him," Liz said flatly, but her heart was screaming his name, yearning his strong presence.

Isabel's expression changed. She looked quite angry. "Yeah, him. So do you mind telling me what's going on? You two haven't spoke for days, and he's been really upset lately - ever since the night of the Gomez concert. What gives?"

How can I tell her? Max's sister, Isabel Evans, of all people! "We broke up, that's all," Liz answered as casually as she could. But deep inside, it hurt her more than anything.

Isabel rolled her eyes. "Well, that's obvious," she smirked. "You know what I'm asking you, Liz."

Of course she knew what Isabel was trying to pry out of her. "Why do you need to know - "

"I need to know because I'm a big sister who cares about her little brother, that's why!" Isabel practically shouted.

"Why don't you just ask him yourself? He's your little brother - he tells you everything," Liz pointed out, refusing to meet Isabel's flashing eyes.

"He wouldn't tell me, so now I'm asking you - and you have got to answer me!"

"He's such a saint. Well, tell him that that isn't necessary. He can fill you in on every detail himself, for all I care. He can tell you whatever he wants to," Liz said to Isabel, her eyes remaining emotionless.

"Quit it, Liz! Quit it! Just spit it out - what the hell happened that night? I want to know what's making my brother so unhappy, so please tell me, Liz," Isabel begged, the light brown eyes switching from cold to pleading.

"No."

Isabel glared at the girl who'd made her brother's life miserable. "You are going to tell me. I don't care what it is, but you are - "

"I slept with Kyle."

Isabel's jaw dropped, her eyes growing wide with shock. "Wha - wha - wha - what did you just say?"

Liz gritted her teeth angrily. "I said what I said, and I'm not saying anything more than that. Now that you know, you can stop nagging me," Liz said, turning away to leave. To where? Well, anywhere but here.

But Isabel caught Liz by the arm before she could take another step. "I don't believe you, Liz. I don't believe that … that you actually did that."

"Well, then that's your problem," Liz muttered under her breath (but loud enough for Isabel to hear), shaking her off.

"You're not yourself," Isabel whispered knowingly. "Something is going on. There's more to it than that. I know it … and I bet Max knows it too. It's just that he doesn't have the guts to say it out loud to you. But I'm not like him. I demand to know the truth. You're hiding something."

"So what if I slept with Kyle, huh?" Liz screamed through tears of bitterness.

"The fact is that you didn't!"

"Suit yourself. I don't care what you think!" Liz stormed away, but Isabel ran after her.

"What are you hiding?" Isabel prodded.

Liz squeezed her eyes shut. She couldn't take this anymore. The secret was burning a hole through her heart, making it harder to bear. "Just stop it, Isabel, stop it! I am not hiding anything!" Liz lied.

"But you are!" Isabel insisted.

Annoyed as she was, her frustration was even worse. She leaned against the wall, breathing heavily, trying to keep her cool.

Isabel stood facing her. The look on her face frightened Liz, and was enough to push her off the edge. "I know you're hiding something."

Liz slid down to the floor, crying softly. "Stop doing this to me … " she sobbed.

It seemed that Isabel was beginning to understand what Liz was going through - or at least, she knew that Liz was going through something. Her expression became softer. She gently placed her hands on Liz's shoulders. "Liz, maybe I can help you. I'm not trying to kill you, OK?"

Perfect time to tell me that … Liz thought ironically.

"Come on, it's OK to tell me."

Liz couldn't keep it in much longer. She really didn't need anything else killing her.

Slowly, she related her story to Isabel. Disturbing memories flashed through her head -

She'd actually been feeling perfectly fine. That is, until that day. She'd been told to go to her English teacher's office. The teacher had wanted to praise her about her essay writing, stating that she was a complete natural. Liz had been quite pleased with herself. But when she was about to turn the doorknob to leave Beverly Williams's office, she was overcome by a dizzy spell and her heart began to beat rapidly. And then everything became black.

Before Ms. Williams could call for an ambulance, though, Liz awoken. It had taken awhile for her to regain control of herself. She still felt her chest hurting and her vision was still blurry, but she had insisted that she was OK. "Ms. Williams, please do me this favour - please don't tell anyone about this."

She'd sworn her to secrecy. After that, she immediately left the office and headed straight to the hospital on her own. The chest pains didn't stop, and she found it extremely difficult to breathe.

A doctor named Brooke Sanders examined her. As Liz had miraculously survived that shock, Dr. Sanders commented that she was a very lucky girl to have managed to withstand that.

But what exactly was 'that'? That was what Liz really wanted to know.

"You've got arrhythmia - abnormal heart rhythm," Brooke Sanders broke to her.

Liz gaped at the doctor, her body going numb. "What?"

"There are different types of arrhythmia. You've got ventricular fibrillation, which is when the heart beats too fast and doesn't pump enough blood."

"Is … is it serious?" Liz asked, cringing slightly.

Dr. Sanders nodded. "This form of arrhythmia is life-threatening. But there's nothing to do now but to put you on medication to maintain the rhythm."

Liz stared blankly at the doctor, feeling as though the whole world had just come crashing down on her …

- Liz's mind wandered back to the present. "A hole in the heart can be patched. But how do you regulate and irregular heartbeat? Medication helps - but only as prevention."

Tears of sympathy shone in Isabel's eyes. "I'm so sorry, Liz. I had … I had no idea," she apologised, thrusting her arms around Liz.

"I never did sleep with Kyle. Now you know why I pretended. Because … because I want Max to get on with his life without me … because I want Max to be happy. Isabel, I might just die at any moment," Liz whispered.
Last edited by nickimlow on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART THREE

It felt so wonderful - walking below the twilit sky with the handsome and dreamy Max Evans. They were made for each other. It was written in the stars - and even if it wasn't, it should be.

"Are you going to be OK?" Max asked when they'd reached the front porch.

Tess nodded. "Yeah. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Umm …. Yeah, I guess so," Max said half-heartedly

"OK then. Goodnight, Max."

"Night." Seeing the expectant look on her face, Max leaned forward and gave Tess a light peck on the cheek. Just a light one? OK, fine. It was better than nothing, right? Besides, their relationship had gone way further than that.

Tess ecstatically bounced to her bedroom. Max and her were officially 'going out'. But 'going out' was really nothing. The fact that they'd actually 'spent the night together' (*ahem*) - now that was something.

Her head swimming with images and thoughts of Max Evans, Tess twirled around her room, dancing with her soft pink pillow. That night had cemented their relationship - at least, she hoped.

But if it was so great, why didn't she feel as happy? Instead, she felt utterly rotten. It wasn't as if she'd stolen Max from Liz, right? Liz gave up her chance, and Tess grabbed at it - that was all.

For some reason that she couldn't quite explain, no matter how thrilled she was to be dating Max Evans - every girl's dream guy -, she couldn't deny how guilty she felt. Her conscience was telling her to stop it that instant, but temptation was too strong to fight. She quickly brushed that thought aside.

That night, Tess had a good night's sleep.

The next morning, however, didn't exactly go too well.

"What is it?" Max asked, feeling a little uncomfortable sitting in The Crashdown talking to Tess, with Liz waiting their table.

Tess looked at him uneasily. "You know … I mean, you don't know … I mean, I don't know how to tell you this, but … "

"Tell me what?"

She drew a deep breath before answering.

Liz took the plates to table number five. She was happy that Max was moving on without her, yes. But it was only natural that things always became weird whenever they happened to be around each other.

She approached the table, plates in hand, just in time to hear something she wished she hadn't heard. Her pretty brown eyes grew wide with shock and disbelief at the words that reached her ears.

The blonde girl who just happened to be Tess Harding whispered, "Max, I'm pregnant. You're the father."

The words echoed in Liz's head, sinking themselves into her brain.

Tess is pregnant … with Max's baby …

nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART FOUR

Max gaped at Tess for a moment. "You're - "

His sentence was cut short by the sound of plates hitting the floor with a crash. He began to scream and let go of his steam at the clumsy waitress, forgetting where he was, and who he was. "What the hell - " He stopped abruptly when he saw the stricken look on the waitress's face - Liz Parker's face.

When their eyes met, she gave him a quick, strange, apologetic smile and bent down hurriedly to clean the mess.

"Liz … " Max whispered, oblivious to the furious stare that he was getting from Tess.

"I'm so sorry about the mess," came a male voice. Jeff Parker, Liz's father and owner of The Crashdown, was walking towards the table. "I'll get the kitchen to prepare your meal again. It's on the house." He bent down to help his daughter. "Lizzie - what happened, honey?"

"It just slipped, Dad. I'm really sorry," Liz apologised.

Max offered to help them, but Mr. Parker refused. "It's OK. Don't worry," he assured him.

He felt so confused now. Tess was pregnant. And now Liz knew it, too. Max was sure that it really didn't matter that Liz knew it because they weren't even together anymore - and it had already been two months or so since they'd broken up.

But somehow … for some reason …

And then it hit him hard on the head. Tess is pregnant with my child. I'm going to be a father. Oh my God!

Max snapped back to reality when he overheard Liz telling her father that she wanted to go for a walk. He felt Tess glaring at him in disbelief. "No, Max, no. Don't - "

"Tess, I'm sorry - I'm sorry for everything. We'll sort things out later, I promise. Just - just stay here, OK?" Max said with imploring eyes.

Liz walked out the door with her best friend, Maria DeLuca staring after her. Max bolted after Liz, leaving a very upset and confused Tess at the booth where they'd both been sitting at together about thirty seconds ago.

I wanted him to move on with his life, hoping he'd have a better future ahead of him - and instead, he goes around making babies!

Liz wondered whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. Well, I suppose he'll still have a future, even if it does mean being a father at seventeen. It's still better than …

… OK. OK. OK. You know what, Liz? Give it up. Give it all up. Let him be a distant memory. He's only going to make you die even quicker, for heaven's sake! Forget Maxwell Evans. Yeah … forget him …

Goodbye, Max.

She heard footsteps drawing closer, and a familiar voice calling her name. She walked faster, but he was getting nearer. "Liz, wait! Please stop avoiding me!"

Darn him! He was too quick. Max ran in front of her and blocked her way. "We've got to talk."

"Max, I'm really exhausted. I just want to have a nice and peaceful stroll - alone. There's nothing we need to talk about," Liz said with a sigh, shaking her head.

"I have got to let everything out. Everything is so messed up now! I need to regain control of my life," Max cried.

You know what, Max? If the both of us could just mind our own business and forget completely about each other, I'm quite sure we'd be able to gather our lives back together. "Look, Max. I'm glad that you and Tess are together, and I really hope you'll be able to solve your problems and get by them together, OK? So good luck, congratulations - whatever it is I'm supposed to say to a teenage dad."

Max stared at her blankly. "What the - "

"You have baby. Baby needs you. You take care of baby. You build family. You with Tess. Tess with you. Tess and you with baby. Understand? Simple - and logical. Easy as that!"

"That is literally impossible!"

"But whatever it is, you are responsible!"

"And fine, I admit that. But starting a family with Tess isn't going to work out," Max objected, eyeing her closely.

Hello? Earth to Max! I'm not enjoying it anymore than you are! "Just … just do what you think is right."

"I don't think being with Tess is right."

Please, please, please think for yourself! "Look - just leave me alone, Max," Liz begged. "I'm sure you and Tess can work things out together."

Gazes locked, a strained silence hung in the air between them. When Liz was about to turn around and leave, Max spoke again - words that only caused the tension to build even higher. "Why did you sleep with Kyle?"

Liz bit her lip. "Please - just leave me alone." Damn it, Max! Get the hell out of here! Or at least let me go! We're over. You've got your life to live, and I've got mine!

"Liz, the memory of you and Kyle together that night has been haunting me every second of the day. Tell me the truth - tell me why you did it!" Max shouted.

Please stop making me feel guiltier than I already am, Max … Liz thought miserably, all the love and pain and torment flooding back in one go. She forced herself to remember her vow to forget him. "That's my personal life. You have no right to - "

"I damn well have the right to know! We were going out before all that happened! We were happy! You can't possibly deny that, Liz," Max told her. OK, so that was half-true. Fine, fine, three-quarter-true. OK! It was completely true.

"I can't take it anymore! Why did you do it?" he bellowed, grabbing Liz by the shoulders and shaking her hard.

"Let go of me," Liz said sternly, her eyes turning cold. She attempted to pull his hands off, but his grip was so hard that it was painful. If he used force, she was definitely no match for him - especially in her condition, and his crazed state of mind.

Max refused to listen. "Tell me why!" he yelled again, behaving so violently that it scared Liz half to death.

"Stop it, Max."

"I've had enough. For the past few months, I have been thinking of nothing but you and why you did that and how you could have done that. I want to put myself at rest, Liz. I want to know the truth before this - this anxiety kills me!" Max hollered, enraged.

"Forget about it, Max! If you're so upset about it all, forget it ever happened! We never met, full stop. Now just let it go!" Liz shrieked at him. Here I am thinking for your own good, and you, on the other hand, are trying to kill- His grip tightened and her head began to spin as he pushed her to the ground with full force. She was screaming on the inside. "Max, you're hurting me … " Liz choked as she struggled to stand up again, feeling her heart already beginning to give up on her.

He took no heed of her plea. He certainly wasn't behaving like himself. He'd transformed himself into a monster - a wild beast, to be precise.

"Max, please … " Liz begged weakly when he persisted. She was too weak to fight back. In fact, she couldn't even think anymore. Everything was turning black …

He realised suddenly that something really was wrong when he saw that her skin had turned ghostly pale and her breathing had become quivery. He placed a hand on either side of her face. "Oh my God … Liz, what's- "

It was too late. Before she could answer, Liz fainted, her small, fragile body collapsing limply into his arms.
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART FIVE

Anxious, Max lay Liz down on the sidewalk as gently as he could. She was now slipping in and out of consciousness, her chest heaving up and down non-proportionately.

Max couldn't get any help - there seemed to be absolutely no passers-by in this small, secluded lane. He prayed silently for Liz to be OK as he held on to her. "Liz, what's going on?" he asked, when she appeared to be semiconscious. "Where does it hurt?"

But it was either she did not hear it, or could not respond.

"Let's get you back," Max whispered as he scooped Liz into his arms and ran quickly back to The Crashdown. His mind raced along with him. A guilty feeling ate at his heart.

Max burst through the door, bringing Liz straight to the back. Everyone in the restaurant turned around, aroused in curiosity, to look at what had happened to the owner's daughter. Maria and Tess, both shocked, ran after Max, shouting, "What happened? What happened?"

Michael and Mr. Parker rushed out as soon as they were aware of all the commotion going on. Jeff Parker looked from his daughter to Max, and back again. "What in the world … ?"

Max placed Liz down carefully, unable to stop the tears from flowing. He began to stammer, "We … We were talking … and then - and then I - I got frustrated … and angry … and I … sh-sh-shook her … and she - she just … collapsed! I - I - I just … "

"Maria, call an ambulance!" Mr. Parker said, examining his daughter. "CPR. We need to do CPR on her."

Well, the cardiopulmonary resuscitation did seem to help slightly. But only just.

Finally, the ambulance arrived.

Liz was brought to the emergency room, while Max and the rest were told to wait in the waiting room.

Soon, Nancy Parker came bursting in through the door, crying, "Where's my baby? God save my baby!" Her husband had explained everything to her over the phone - though 'everything' was hardly anything, as they didn't exactly know how Liz was doing.

Several minutes later, Isabel, Alex, and Kyle arrived. Isabel's eyes were bloodshot and her hands were shaking as she threw her arms around Max.

Max, on the other hand, wore a blank look on his face. His baby that was growing inside of Tess was forgotten in all the panic and unease. He could only think of Liz. Max still didn't understand how this could have happened. Did I hurt her when I shook her? he kept asking himself. And then her horrified, suffocating cry rang repeatedly in his head, "Max, you're hurting me … Max, please … You're hurting me … hurting me … hurting me … "

After a few moments of sitting in silence, Isabel walked over to her brother. "Max, can I have a word with you? It's very important."

She didn't give him a chance to answer. Max was about to protest when Isabel pulled him up and dragged him out of the waiting room. They stood in a corner. "Iz, I really don't feel like talking about anything … now … " he said softly, staring at the ground.

"Max, this is important. If I don't tell you, you'll never know. I owe it to Liz to keep it a secret, but I also owe it to her to keep her alive."

"What is it?" Max asked, looking up a little more curiously.

"I have to tell you why - why she pretended to sleep with Kyle."

"How did you know ab- Wait! What did you just say? She … she pretended?"

Sadly, Isabel nodded.

Max felt his entire body going numb. Liz pretended to sleep with Kyle? But … "Why??"

"It was the only way to … to get you to fall out of love with her, I suppose … to get you to turn away from her," Isabel answered, her voice quivering with emotion. "She knew that she was sick. She's got arrhythmia - and no one else knows yet. Max, Liz did that thinking of you. She wanted you to be happy. She thought you deserved a good life. She didn't want her and her illness to get in the way of it."

A huge wave of guilt and regret flooded his heart. Max sank to the floor, unable to hold back his tears, overcome by emotions that were strong and painful enough to kill him there and then. "Arrhythmia, or whatever it's called … is it … is it that serious?"

"For some people, it's not. But she's a bit … unlucky, due to the type of the illness that she's suffering from. She's been taking medication, but it doesn't look like it been helping much, does it?" Isabel said. She lowered her eyes sadly. "Max, the type that she has is very serious … Her heart may stop beating, and … she could die."

"No!" Max cried in anguish. He stood up, facing the wall. He stared blankly at it for a moment, and then rested his forehead against it, thrusting his fist into it with all his might.

Isabel grabbed hold of him and turned him around to face her. "Max, don't do that!"

Liz pretended to sleep with Kyle for his own good. And he, on the other hand, spent the night with Tess and got her pregnant … and nearly killed Liz. He was clearly a heartless fool!

She's sick … That explains why she fainted when I did that to her … That explains why she slept with Kyle … That explains why she's been avoiding me … That explains how much she cares … That explains everything.

Liz, I hurt you … not just to the physical extent. I hurt you deeply - too deeply. I never meant to … I really never meant to. Please don't … don't … don't … Please don't die, Liz … Please don't leave me …

"Max!" Isabel called, snapping her fingers in front of his face. "Max! You there?"

Max felt miserable. "Tess is pregnant."

"What?"

"Tess is pregnant," Max repeated. "with my child."

Isabel's mouth hung wide open. "You slept with that witch? How could you do that?" she screamed.

"I was … I was so … confused, and - "

"That is no excuse!"

"I know … I know … That's why I feel so stupid … I've wronged both Liz and Tess … "

"What're you going to do about it?"

"I don't - " Just then, Max caught a glimpse of the doctor coming out. "The doctor's out - come on."

Please be OK … Please give me another chance …Please don't die … Max prayed.
Last edited by nickimlow on Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART SIX

The doctor explained Liz's condition. "We've done cardioversion on her, but she's still in a critical state. She needs to be placed under Intensive Care."

Mrs. Parker clapped a hand over her mouth. "What - what could have caused this?"

"She has ventricular fibrillation - a type of arrhythmia. It's a state when a person's heart no longer beats, but quivers very rapidly at approximately … three-hundred-and-fifty times a minute - maybe even more."

Everyone gasped. Three-hundred-and-fifty times a minute ?

"The blood-flow reduces severely, resulting to lack of oxygen supply to the brain. It can cause sudden cardiac death. The CPR you gave her bought Ms. Parker a little more time," Robert Mills said. He paused for several seconds. "Now - may I ask a few questions?"

"Sure … "

"OK. Where was she and what happened when this occurred? Has it happened before?" Dr. Mills inquired.

"No, this has never happened before," Mr. Parker answered. "Her friend - this boy here, Max - was with her. Max, I'm sure you won't mind telling the doctor what happened."

Max explained everything again. As if he wasn't feeling rotten enough, all eyes were glued on him. The shocked looks clearly said, "You're a sick, abusive man." And the worst thing about it was - that was quite relevant to what he'd done.

Even the kind, elderly doctor looked slightly disgusted. "You can only go in two at a time - family only," he emphasised, giving Max a look.

All of Liz's friends protested, but he stood his ground. "I'm sorry, but that is a hospital rule. Only family members are allowed in the ICU," he said. "If her condition stabilises in the next twenty-four hours, Ms. Parker will be moved out of Intensive Care and you will be allowed to see her. If it doesn't - heaven forbid - then … I'm sorry to say that chances of her recovery are very slim," Dr. Mills broke to them sadly, hastily wiping his spectacles.

Max's heart sank.

It was about three in the afternoon. Max restlessly paced up and down his room. They'd told him to return home. But he couldn't possibly stay calm while Liz was … was … probably …

No, no, she's not dying. She can't be. Tomorrow, everything is going to be just fine, and then I'll go see her and apologise, and she'll get all better … and then we'll put all that behind us and start over … Yeah, everything is going to be just fi-

"Max! Max!" Isabel shouted as she came rushing into his room. "Maria called! Mrs. Parker just rang her up!"

The frantic note in his sister's voice meant that something was wrong. Please don't let it be … no, no, please don't let it be …

"Liz has taken a turn for the worse!"

When Nancy Parker saw Max, she grabbed him and shook him hard, as he'd shaken her daughter. "My little girl is in there because of you! Ever since you came along, her life has changed - it took a three-hundred-and-sixty-degree turnabout from normalcy. And now you've made it even worse than it already was. Darn you, Max!"

"Nancy, keep it down," Mr. Parker said softly, pulling her away from Max. He wasn't keen on having an argument in the waiting room while his daughter was in there dying.

"How can I stay calm? How can you even expect me to stay calm?" Mrs. Parker screamed, her usually composed and sophisticated self now hidden as though it had never been there. "As a mother, I can't do that! My daughter is dying!"

Mr. Parker wrapped his arms around his wife. "Ssh … ssh … She's going to be just fine, honey. Our daughter is a strong girl - she's going to be fine … " he whispered, although he seemed to be trying to convince himself more than his wife.

Max sank helplessly to the floor, his back up against the wall and his face buried in his hands. Tess came over and sat down next to him. Assuming she was going to bring up the 'I-am-pregnant-with-your-baby' topic, he begged her not to talk about it now. "Tess, I know how upset you are about the baby and all that, but … I'm really not in the mood to discuss about it … I'm sorry, but … please … not now … please, Tess … "

"Yes, I was going to bring that up. But I have to tell you something."

'Something' … It's always 'something' … And 'something' is never a good thing … "Yeah?"

"I've thought it all through," Tess began. "I'm not ready to be a mother, as you aren't ready to be a father."

Max was silent for a while. "You - you - you want to have an abortion?"

Tess nodded.

"But that would mean … that would mean killing our baby - taking a life … " Max whispered. So many lives are at risk … so many innocent lives … "God gave me responsibility over our baby. Whatever it is, I must take it up."

"But don't you think it will be even more cruel for the baby to grow up unwanted and unloved?" Tess pointed out softly.

She has a point there … And then it struck him. "You're doing this for Liz, aren't you?" he asked, watching her very closely. "Because of … because of this … "

"For the most part, I'm doing it for you and for me. Your heart - it's with her. For months, I've been trying to find the slightest glimmer of hope. But I've finally learnt to face the facts. It's best for all of us," Tess admitted painfully. With a slightly bitter laugh, she added, "It's almost like … it's almost like you're destined to be together."

"Thanks for … for being my friend," Max whispered, almost speechless.

Tess gave him a small smile before walking away.

Max looked up. He saw Michael consoling Maria. He saw Tess doing the same for Kyle, who was absently playing with his fingers, choking back on tears. He saw Mr. and Mrs. Parker in each other's arms. And he saw Isabel seeking comfort from Alex.

I need to tell her that I'm sorry. I need to make up for everything - all that I've wronged her. I need her to yell at me and call me a moron!

Most of all, I need to hold her again and tell her how much I love her.

Dr. Mills emerged again, a sad frown etched beneath his bushy moustache.

None of them could hold back their tears - tears of despair, tears of anguish. They were still deep in shock. Everyone - excluding Isabel - hadn't even known that she was ill. And suddenly the weak, defenceless girl was lying before them, ashen and cold - and dying.

Max felt the most miserable. He couldn't believe that his little - not-so-little - act of envy as well as frustration was now killing her. "Liz, I'm sorry … Liz, I love you … "

She emitted a tiny cough, followed by a moan. Her eyelids fluttered.

"Lizzie!" Mr and Mrs. Parker sat by her side. Her friends just couldn't bear to watch. Max placed his hand over Liz's, planting a gentle kiss on it. Alex, who'd gone to get the doctor, returned with Dr. Mills rushing in behind him. He checked her pulse and the massive heart monitors in the room.

Max gazed at Liz, all the love and heartbreak written across his sad face. "I'm sorry … " he murmured. "I'm so sorry … "

Liz turned away from him.
Coley
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Coley »

how very sad. please continue with the story though, I am really likeing it. and don't let liz die. and just make max and liz back together, sigh :(

great story.
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

Thanks for the f/b, Coley! This is a repost, so everything is actually completed. I'm just finding the time to repost them. Thanks for reading!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

PART SEVEN

A single tear rolled down her cheek. I don't want you anywhere near me, Max! You hurt me … more than you will ever know or understand. You hurt me … You continued to hurt me … And you will go on hurting me … I thought I did that for you. But what about myself? I also have myself to think about. I gave you what I wanted for you. Now there's nothing I can do for you anymore. Accept your baby and Tess, and we can say goodbye.

"Stable … " Dr. Mills said under his breath. Then he looked up and smiled. "That was … I mean, I didn't expect … Amazing, Ms. Parker. Amazing." The doctor walked out a few minutes later after explaining a few things that Liz was really too tired to hear about.

"Liz, I'm sorry," Max repeated, pressing his wet cheeks against her hand.

I heard that the first time, thanks. She pulled her hand away abruptly. "Go away." Max was taken aback by the coldness in her voice - so was everyone else. They think I've got amnesia or something. "Look, Max … just … just go … go away … "

"Liz, please don't shut me out. I'm sorry, I'm really - "

"Go away!" Liz cried, losing control of herself. All colour that was left drained from her face. "Just go!" It's too hard to face him …

"Liz - "

"I - don't - want - you … here … " Liz was overexerting herself again. "Please … leave … "

Isabel grabbed Max's arm. "Liz, I'm glad you're OK. I'll come and visit you sometime," she said, giving her a little wink that no one else noticed. "Max, let's go. Liz is tired - let's leave her to get some rest, OK?"

Max shook his head, tears welling up in his amber-flecked eyes. As Isabel practically dragged him out of the room, he gave Liz a pained look that she knew she'd never forget.

It started with giving you a good life and future. Well, now it's about how you hurt me. You slept with Tess and got her pregnant - so you saw me with Kyle, so what, you had to prove that you're a 'man'? And you didn't listen to me when you shook me. It's not just about shaking me and nearly killing me - it's about how violent you were towards me.

It's all over and in the past - it's all behind us now.

It's about time, Liz … You know, everything would have gone perfectly if you hadn't heard. There were a few minor mishaps, but everything is going well again - for me.

The way you threw him out - I guess you did the dirty work for me. Now Max is going to turn to me again …

Tess shot a glance at Liz out of the corner of her eye. It's my turn now. My turn … Max will belong to me, and the baby. You will have no part in this.

At least I know that she's OK, Max thought during the drive home, trying to concentrate on the road. I can't blame her if she hates me. I don't deserve someone so pure … so innocent …

Isabel's voice interrupted his thoughts. "Max, what are you going to do about the baby?"

I can't just let the baby die … "Tess wants to have an abortion."

"You're just going to kill your child?" Isabel shrieked. "Now I know why Liz is so mad at you. You're completely irresponsible!"

"What can I do if Tess wants to give up the baby, huh? She's the one who's going to deliver it, not me," Max countered.

"Talk her out of it!" Isabel said. "You know - you don't have to marry her to take care of the baby."

"Something just … doesn't seem right. Everything is falling apart - "

"And it is all the result of your own doings! No one told you to get Tess pregnant. No one told you to abuse Liz," Isabel shot back at him angrily.

"Don't you think I know that?" Max whispered.

"You damn well should! All this - I'm sorry to say - is your fault, Max, your fault!" Isabel scolded him, as a big sister would and should. "I suggest that you just concentrate on being responsible over your baby. Leave Liz alone - she's been through enough torture already, thanks to you."

I don't deserve to live! Tears blurred his vision. He hastily brushed them away, but not in time. The moment he did -

Two blinding lights ahead of him … a terrified scream … shattered glass … blood … and darkness …
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART EIGHT

The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was a plump woman - most probably in her late thirties - bending over him. "Yes, he's awake."

Er - like, duh!

"Young man, can you see me?"

Do you not realise that your nose is nearly touching mine? Ew! "Er … yeah."

"How are you feeling?"

Considering I just got a huge blow in my head, and the fact that your face is directly in front of mine, I think I'm feeling quite OK, thanks. Just need to barf, and I think I'll be feeling a lot better. "I'm … OK."

"Does it hurt anywhere?"

Yeah - my eardrums. You could do me a favour and stop shouting, you know. Or you could at least go back a little. You're way too close! "No … I don't think so … "

The woman finally stepped away (Thank the good and merciful Lord!) and spoke to another blonde woman who looked a little older. A few moments later, that woman walked over.

"Max, honey, how're you feeling?" she asked, putting a hand on his forehead.

Upon being called by his name, all the memories came flooding back. He'd been involved in an accident. He realised that this woman was his mother.

And he? He was Maxwell Evans, and his life was a mess.

He strained to hear the conversation between his mother and the doctor. At first, he only managed to catch a few words. " … daughter … loss of blood … "

Isabel! She was in the car, too! No, no, no, no, no! Liz was dying. My child's life is about to be taken. I can't let my sister die! I can't let my sister die!

He listened a little closer. " … husband … away on business trip … same blood type … mine isn't … "

No! Use mine - we share the same blood type!

" … your husband … anyone else … family … ?"

" … son … "

"Mom!"

The doctor and his mother turned around, surprised. "What are you doing up, Max?" Diane Evans asked anxiously, hurrying to his side. "Are you feeling OK?"

"I'm fine … Mom, is Iz really in trouble?"

"Izzy is … " Mrs. Evans looked up at the doctor. "Izzy is … just … "

"Son, you've got to get your rest and stop worrying. Your sister is going to be just fine," the doctor said.

"No. I heard you. You said she'd lost a lot of blood. Take mine. Use mine. For my sister," Max begged. "I owe her that much."

"Max, sweetie … you need your rest. That - that would drain you out. Isabel is going to be just fine," Mrs. Evans assured him, blinking back tears. Normally, she would have pestered them for driving recklessly, yada yada yada … but now … she was too worried to even think about that - there were a lot more important things in her mind … like her daughter's life.

"Please, Mom," Max begged. I can't lose anyone else. I caused this accident to happen. Let me do something good in my life for a change. Nothing I do will ever be able to erase all the damage that I've caused. But at least allow me to try - try to repent. Let me just try. Let me save someone's life for once.

My sister … is about all I've got right now.

His mother looked helplessly at the doctor, who told him, "Your mother's right. We can get the blood from the - "

"For once, let me do something good. For once … " Max implored. "I'm strong enough. I can take it. Please … "

The doctor and Mrs. Evans exchanged a glance. Finally, the doctor nodded.

The next day …

Isabel was getting better. She had to stay at the hospital for a little longer, but Max was already allowed to go home.

He spent the whole day in his room … thinking. And thinking. And thinking. Finally, he made a few important decisions.

I've got to fix things. I've got to make things better, instead of letting them get worse.

There's the issue with Tess and the baby - which has to be worked out as soon as possible … before Tess has an abortion. I feel - and heck, I am - responsible over this child. I also pity him or her, who certainly didn't ask to be brought into this world. Instead, it is a result of my own uselessness. The child deserves a family, I know. But I can't possibly marry Tess - not when I don't love her that way. Nevertheless, I will love and care for our baby.

And then there's Liz. Isabel is right - I should leave her alone. She wanted me to be happy - and I want the same for her. I will never cease to love her. Until I take my last breath, she will always be the only one. I'll always be here for her … if she ever needs me. And I promise … to never ever hurt her again …

This was something that he had to do. As much as it hurt, he deserved the pain.

And time passed …
nickimlow
Addicted Roswellian

Post by nickimlow »

PART NINE

Maxwell Evans. A not-so-smart guy. A loser.

Maxwell Evans, a not-so-smart-guy and a loser who was now grieving the loss of his child. He remembered the dreadful moments that had led to Tess's miscarriage - the death of an innocent -

Tess was only carrying the child for three months. Max finally managed to talk Tess out of the whole abortion business. They'd told their parents, and - of course - they received long lectures and a considerable number of shouts and hollers. That was something they'd deserved.

Was it punishment - that Tess slipped and fell in the bathroom? Why did that always have to happen to pregnant women? Damn!

Max carried the burden of guilt that he'd failed as a father to protect his child. But it was neither his fault nor Tess's. Accidents happened.

Despite the fact that the child hadn't even been born - that he'd never even had a chance to hold it - there was still that 'instinct' that continued to follow him.

- "That baby would have been born by now … " Max said bitterly to himself as he walked aimlessly into the night. Yes, it had been six whole months since that incident. It wasn't a matter of forgetting or getting over it - that was impossible. It was a matter of learning to live and cope with it.

He gazed into the starry sky above, seeking tranquillity. The twinkling jewels that were scattered across the sky seemed to hold no more than emptiness. He remembered … Ah, forget it, Evans.

His mind shifted to the girl whom he loved and cared for. Ever since she'd begun hanging around that Thomas guy, Max hadn't dared take his eyes off her.

Was it jealousy? No. Honestly, no! If she were going out with good guys like Kyle or Alex, he would definitely be at ease. Or was it just because he knew these people? OK, fine. Maybe Thomas should be given the benefit of the doubt. Still, Max couldn't help but feel that there was something really fishy about the guy.

But I'm no better, he reminded himself.

Things were just getting crazier and crazier.

Liz was feeling quite nervous about getting the cardioverter defibrillator implanted. It was a little device that regulated the heartbeat and sent out shocks when a disturbance in normal heart rhythm was sensed. She was going to undergo surgery in just a month's time - it was only natural for her to feel jittery.

Everything's going to be just fine, Liz. After that, things will get better.

And then there was the whole 'relationship' thing. Maria finally managed to talk Liz into dating the dreamy Mr. Perfect, Thomas Fairchild. There was no denying the fact that he had the most beautiful face and the most gorgeous grin - not to mention the eyes … sea-green eyes … those eyes …

Hey, hey, that isn't the point here!

OK, OK. Tom Fairchild was certainly … fairly good-looking. Yeah. And the eyes …

But Liz still thought it was too quick. Fine, it wasn't too quick. She'd been single for ages. But … the eyes …

Oh, what the heck? The guy asked you out. And he's kind of sweet, too. There can't be anything wrong about that! Besides, this isn't plunging into a relationship - because you haven't had a single one since Max.

Liz looked up into the twilit sky - feeling as though someone else was watching it with her.