Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

Post by max and liz believer »

Title: Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie
Author:
Josephin
Category: AU, M/L
Rating: ADULT
Editor: Gigo

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. Any references to historical events, real people, or real locales are used fictitiously. Other names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author's imagination, and any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. The characters of Roswell belong to its founder - Jason Katims, Twentieth Century Fox Corporation, Regency Entertainment, and Monarchy B.V.

Summary: UNBREAKABLE - A BEAUTIFUL LIE is the tale of lost civilizations, aliens, hybrids, secrets and the forced bridge between two worlds. But mostly, it's about love. The forbidden love between a hybrid boy and a human girl.

They arrived in the darkest of nights. Children. Youngsters from another world. Some shone bright. Others walked in darkness. They all merged into the surroundings, creating new lives and new plans.

About 60 years later one of their own would fall in love with an outsider. She was off limits, promised to someone else. A promise she knew nothing about. She was the girl whose destiny was mapped out by another culture, another race, without her having a say. He was the boy destined to keep her safe without letting her know.

Their fates were greater than a love story. Until that night. When she caught a glimpse of his secret and the big plan started to crumble.

Max, Michael and Isabel were part of the rich and popular crowd at Roswell High. The intelligent, yet respected, Liz moved in different circles, preferably avoiding the aforementioned trio at all costs. Until that Halloween party, which changed everything.

Liz used to joke about there being something different and dark about the beautiful triad; what if she was right? What if the small town in New Mexico hid terrible secrets and repeatedly silenced the truth? Had a small town girl stumbled upon a dangerous cover-up?

Excerpt

I saw him right before Max did. When he did, his gasped "Fuck" magnified the jump of fear made by my body when I found myself standing merely two feet from an alien.

His large bottomless black eyes were staring emptily into mine and I could see the blood vessels pulsate across his large conical-shaped brain. The groves along the sides of his face were as dark as his eyes, the edges moving rhythmically like the gills of a fish. There was no mouth where his thin lips had previously been. Instead there were two parallell lines going vertically up his chin, with holes going straight into the lower part of his face.

He was no longer hiding behind his human face, but there was no mistaking who was standing motionless in front of us. There was no mistaking the darkness around his body.

And right now he was trying to dig into our connection by staring at us. It could be likened to someone pushing a screwdriver into your brain through your eye. I fell backwards a step, Max's grip on my hand tightening while I simultaneously saw the shimmering field separating us from Command thicken.

Command's plan was a simple, but excellent, one. I hated the sight of him, still I couldn't take my eyes off him. Those empty eyes positioned in that thick reptilian-like skinned face with those flapping breathing holes made me wish I had never been born.

I wouldn't give up. I would fight until the end. But I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit that I was scared out of my wits.

Author’s Note: After picking up “Lethal Whispers” with the intent on finishing it once and for all, I found the first chapter to this story on my hard drive. I had only written one chapter, a couple of years back, but after reading through those first lines I wanted to continue to tell that story.

So here I am, with a new story. I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I’m enjoying writing it. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you’s: Elizabeth, my solid editor. Ashley, my support and my sounding board.

Old banner

July, 1947

The night they arrived was one of the darkest. Untouched by moonlight, with stars hiding behind gray clouds, the duskiness of the night made the bright lights of the vessels even the more noticeable.

They saw them come. Saw the two rectangular objects falling out of the sky, one landing successfully while the other impacted roughly with the cooled off sandy desert ground.

Watching from the shadows, the witnesses were hesitant to make themselves known. They had grown accustomed to a life of mere observation and preferred to remain inconspicuous, though their reason for keeping a low profile on this night had more to do with their history than their chosen way of life.

The ships having come down on Earthen soil in front of their worried eyes were not from this Earth. The last time ships of that type had landed on Earth, genocide amongst the watchers had ensued, even though the visitors had been of the same breed as the watchers. Thus, this time, they were wary of making contact. This time, they were cautious.

The night had grown silent after the loud impact with the ground. The sand that had been pushed up into the air from the sudden weight of the aircrafts was already settling by the time the first traveler stumbled out of his wrecked transport medium.

The watchers were surprised to find that the first survivor was not a man of arms, but a child. That first passenger was followed by another child. And another. Disoriented, the youngsters tripped over dry desert shrubs and dunes of sand, taking in their new foreign surroundings while passively seeking out their fellow passengers.

The observers soon realized that the ships were occupied only by children. No adults. No supervisors. No armed force. Solely lost children of various ages.

The decision to help did not need to be spoken out loud in the small group of onlookers. One of the crafts had suffered a bad crash and it was obvious that many of its occupants were hurt if not dead.

As the observers stepped out of the shadows to offer their assistance, the immigrants defended themselves the only way they knew how; with directed energy and shimmering protective energy fields. But the watchers were prepared, deflecting, and assuring.

It was clear from the travelers’ knee-jerk reaction that the children needed help. They needed to learn how to hide who they were and shield what they could do. They needed help to bury their dead, because the color of their skin, the size of their bodies and the gills on their faces were unnatural amongst the human population and would not go unnoticed.

They needed to learn how to hide their true selves and adopt the appearance of homo sapiens. They needed to learn the American language and have a cover story to their sudden existence. Not until the illegal immigrants had been smoothly integrated into the New Mexican human population could the observers retreat back into the shadows.

But they never stopped observing. They never stopped expecting the darkness to return and strike again. Because their ancestors had once fled the destruction that had forced those children through space alone several centuries later.

The wise watchers knew that the war on their planet was not yet over, and the threat to Earth was instead very present.

October, 2015

”Ms. Parker,” the rough voice said, pulling me abruptly out of my thoughts which were entangled with the common task of organizing my study schedule for the weekend. But it wasn’t the roughness of his voice that had me turning my head, rather the seduction dripping like sweet syrup of my otherwise very ordinary name.

My body knew who it was even before my mind registered the clarity of his voice and my shoulders were already squaring, my back straightening, against what I hoped to be a fearless front to the man I was about to face.

Michael Guerin.

His stone face looked slightly bemused as his eyes collided with mine and a tremble of nervousness went through my body. Against my intention, the tremble vibrated through my voice as I spoke, “Y-yes?”

His head angled slightly to the side and he whispered, his breath crossing the distance between us with dangerous warmth while his eyes gleamed coldly, “Did you cut your hair?”

Feeling very much like the bug under a microscope I resisted the temptation to swallow and nodded silently, already beating myself up for my natural fear.

A slow smirk pulled at his lips and my heart froze as he reached out with his hand and grabbed a strand of my dark hair, his fingertips ghosting across my flushed skin.

“Interesting,” he murmured.

“Michael.”

The voice was quiet and controlled but it ripped through me with the intensity of a scream and I took a step back from his hand as the owner of the voice stepped up next to Michael.

I watched a silent exchange of annoyance pass between the two tall, beautiful people, before the person who saved me from Michael turned to me with a flawless smile, “I’m sorry. Was he bothering you?”

Isabel Evans, with her fair perfect skin, her red lips, curvy body and golden hair, was the person every girl in the school envied. She was the girl every boy lusted for in the privacy of their thoughts.

Giving in to my need to swallow in an effort to lubricate my dry throat, I nodded and said perfectly evenly, “Yes.”

Her smile was smooth as apology reached her brown eyes. “I do apologize. He has the intelligence level of a monkey.”

I knew that I was supposed to smile at this. I knew it was supposed to be a joke, maybe even an attempt at lightening the situation, but I didn’t find anything amusing about the tension in the air.

With an almost imperceivable nod of her head, she grabbed Michael’s elbow and pulled him away, all through the motion managing to look perfectly collected.

“What was that?” Maria, my best friend, breathed behind me.

“Michael Guerin,” I answered and felt the personality that seemed to have escaped me just now crash back into my body.

“What did he want?” Maria asked, confusion coloring her voice.

I managed a casual shrug of my shoulders and pulled my bag out of my locker, slamming the door shut with a loud clang before I turned to face Maria. “Nothing.”

As I started to move down the hallway towards the large front doors, I was only partly aware of Maria hurrying to gather her things to follow me as my thoughts were running all over the place.

Michael Guerin and Isabel Evans were two of the members of the infamous mysterious trio of Roswell High. The third one was Max Evans. They were known as a trio because they were always seen together in some form or another. They were named mysterious because no one really knew anything about them. This was strange in itself. The trio was not new to the school. In fact, they had lived in Roswell for the last ten years or so and had been part of the Roswell school system since third grade.

Yet no one really knew them.

They kept to themselves, only making bare minimum effort to blend with society.

Well, except for Max Evans.

The third member of the trio, Max Evans, was nothing like the two people he spent most of his time with. While Michael and Isabel kept mostly to themselves, Max was part of almost every school event – as long as it involved some type of sport activity. While Michael and Isabel were rarely seen at parties, Max had never missed a single one.

Just then the front doors opened and the object at the front of my thoughts sauntered through the doors, followed by a train of guys and beautiful girls.

Mesmerizingly beautiful, Max Evans was like poison to the females of Roswell High. They followed him like bewitched puppets, almost tripping over themselves for a second of his attention.

The boys, the well-trained muscular jocks following Max, were keeping up a conversation about the latest game while Max’s eyes slowly scanned the school hallway.

My steps had faltered somewhat when he had crashed through the doors (not even I was immune to his magnetism), but I quickly recovered with a snap of my back and by locking my gaze in front of me so that my eyes would avoid contact with his at all cost.

A shiver raced down my spine as I felt his gaze brush over me and I resisted the urge to look in his direction while I put my hands up against the front doors and pushed them open.

Maria was at my heels the moment I reached the outside and I felt relief flood me as the fresh air saturated my starving lungs.

“Are you going to the party?” she asked breathlessly.

I frowned. “What party?”

It was impossible to miss Maria’s loud exasperated sigh. “The Halloween party.”

I sighed. “I don’t feel much like a party.”

“Oh come on,” Maria tried. “It’s the party of the year.”

Having reached my car, I fumbled through my bag for the key. “You say that every year, Ria.”

“It’s true every year,” Maria said simply.

I brushed a hand through my hair, the unconscious act bringing forth the recent memory of Michael Guerin touching me and I shivered. “I don’t think I’ll go this year.”

She looked at me incredulously and flung my own words back into my face, “You say that every year, Lizzie.”

“They freak me out,” I said, wanting her to get off the case. She knew how uncomfortable Isabel, Max and Michael made me and the Halloween party was held at the Evans’ resident every year. It was a success every year.

Or so I’ve heard. I had yet to attend one.

It was apparently the only real social event that Isabel and Michael were involved in, which possibly made it even more alluring.

After discussing the matter with several people at school, including lengthy discussions with Maria, I had come to the understanding that I was the only one to really be uncomfortable around the three beautiful people. Everyone else saw them as unattainable, at another level. But they were not scared by them, rather, careful out of respect. As if they were royalty that always had to be treated properly.

Maybe that was what made me so uncomfortable; the fact that no one treated Max, Michael or Isabel like normal teenagers.

“There’s something wrong about them,” I told Maria and she rolled her eyes at the comment.

That was not anything new coming from me.

“What’s your latest theory?” she asked with a small smile as I opened the passenger door and put my bag in the seat.

“They’re vampires,” I answered seriously and rolled my eyes as she laughed. Of course it sounded ridiculous but, “They’re too perfect!”

She continued laughing at my defensive tone and said between breathless giggles, “I thought vampires combusted in the sun. Would they really move to the desert if they couldn’t stand the sun?”

I slammed the door shut and walked around the front of the car, opening the door to the driver’s seat. I couldn’t help but smile and offered, “Yeah, that’s where my theory ends as well. Plus, they seem to age just normally. Vampires don’t age.”

Maria snorted, shaking her head in amusement. “You’re impossible.”

“I’m just gonna stay at home and watch 'Moulin Rouge',” I said, getting in behind the steering wheel.

Maria sighed, the laughter dying from her eyes. “Again? Man, Liz. To have a social life, you should at least try to make an effort.”

I frowned at her, wondering where she got the notion that I wanted a social life from. “Who said anything about wanting to be social?”

I reached out to close the door when Maria’s hand stopped me. She bent down, looking at me with serious green eyes. Speaking with the voice of an all-seeing psychic, she murmured slowly, “Mark my words, woman. You’re gonna end up as an old maid with 149 cats.”

“So be it,” I replied and pulled the door closed.

While I reversed out of the parking space, I started searching through my bag after my iPhone with one eye on the road.

“Where is it?” I mumbled, while my hand came up with various pens, post-its and paper clips. But no phone.

Rolling the car to a stop, I shifted out of reverse and into drive and my attention was momentarily on the bag while I tried to peek through the small opening into the bag in attempt to spot the white smart multifunctional device.

“Gotcha,” I said triumphantly as my fingers touched the headphones which were plugged into the phone and as I started to pull it out of the bag, my foot automatically pressed on the gas.

My eyes were only a nanosecond behind, but when I looked up my heart jumped into my throat and I reflexively slammed the brakes into the floor. My body jolted slightly with the sudden stop and I was left staring at the boy that had appeared in front of my car.

I had almost run over Max Evans.

As he started walking around the car, his eyes locked with mine, I was painfully aware of the burning air whooshing through my windpipe.

He stopped next to my door, gazing down at me through the window, his face a blank slate. But his eyes were burning into me, dark as two pieces of charcoal.

I swallowed harshly.

I’m not sure how many seconds passed, but suddenly his eyes softened while a slow grin spread across his lips. Cocking his head to the side, his knuckles rapped against the window; the sound ripped through my body.

I kept on staring, my knuckles white as my grip on the steering wheel tightened further.

Shaking his head in something that might be amusement, Max moved his hand in a circular motion, obviously gesturing for me to wind down the window.

I didn’t really feel like it.

But I seemed somewhat obliged, since I had almost run him over after all. Maybe I should apologize or something. I mean, I just almost killed the most beloved person of Roswell High. If that had actually happened the students of Roswell High would most likely lead the witch hunt which would end with me being burnt at the stake upon my capture.

“Liz, please,” he said then, his voice subdued through the glassed barrier between us. I tried to ignore the way his voice caressed my name.

Holding my breath, I leaned over and slowly rolled down the window. The fresh moist rainy air hit my face, along with his scent. I tried my best to ignore how his scent made my mouth water and my heart skip a beat.

“What is it?” I asked, my voice a tad harsher than I had planned.

He raised an intrigued eyebrow at the hostility in my voice and said, “You almost ran me over.”

There was no accusation in his voice, but I couldn’t help feeling like I was suddenly on trial. “Sorry. I didn’t see you.”

He chuckled at this and my eyes narrowed. What was so funny about that?

“You should pay more attention to the road, Ms. Parker.”

The amused twinkle in his eyes annoyed me. “You shouldn’t be standing in the middle of the road, Mr. Evans.”

One edge of his mouth drifted slightly north. “Touché.”

“Did you want something?” I snarled. “Or were you just hanging around, waiting to be run over?”

“I’m having a party,” Max said and I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes. He said it as if it wasn’t general knowledge. As if his party wasn’t described in detail under ‘Party’ in the dictionary.

I raised an eyebrow and tried my best to look apathetic. “Really?”

His eyes glinted and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. “Everyone’s invited,” he continued.

“How nice,” I said. I wanted to pull my eyes away from him, but I couldn’t. I wanted to roll up the window, put the car in drive and get away from there. But I couldn’t. Something in his eyes stopped me. Maybe it was the warm hue of his irises. Maybe it was the sensual shape of his upper lip. Maybe-

I shook my head to clear my mind of those thoughts. What was wrong with me?!

I would not allow Max Evans to work his magic on me.

“You should come,” he said, a small smirk twisting his lips.

I had the clearest feeling that he knew what had just run through my mind. I shifted in my seat again.

“I don’t like dress-ups,” I said more confidently than I felt.

“You don’t have to dress up,” Max said slowly and started tracing the top of the window pane with his index finger. “You can come as Elizabeth Parker.”

I stared at the slow movement of the finger, suddenly feeling very hot.

Get a grip, Parker!

I snapped my eyes back up to his face and all the strength appeared to have left my voice as I spoke again, “What’s the fun in that? I might as well not come.”

He put his head to the side, regarding me with penetrating eyes. I swallowed.

“Have you ever been to my party, Liz?”

“No.”

“You should come.”

“I don’t really feel like it.”

“It’s gonna be fun.”

“I have plans.”

“Really? What are you doing?”

“None of your business.”

He smiled and a tremble went through my body. “Please. Come. Just this once.”

I was falling into his eyes and, before I could stop myself, I felt my head nod in agreement.

My protesting thoughts were loud in my head as he smiled and stepped away from the car.

Damn it, damn it, damn it

”I’ll see you there,” Max said and I grimaced at him.

Damn it.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 158 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Unbreakable (AU, M/L, ADULT) Ch 1, 5/16/15

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Great Chapter!!!! Please please please please please please come back and post more really really really really soon? I can't wait to read what will happen next for Max and Liz. OK Michael was freaky. I'm glad Isabel saved Liz. I don't know what to think of Max so far. Why does Max want Liz at his Halloween party? Will Liz and Maria go to the Halloween party?

L-J-L 76
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

OK I'm hooked! I need answers to all the questions forming in my head! What is up with Michael? Isabel seems so not Isabel why? Is the reason Max want Liz at the party because he is hopelessly madly in love with her? Get back here fast with more!
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Yeah!!!! :P :P :P :P :P

A new story and I already love it! Especially Liz being a pain in the ass! :lol:

Waiting for more and thanks! EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
saori_1902
Addicted Roswellian

Post by saori_1902 »

Great start!!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

This is going to be good......can't wait to see Max throw a party, that's so not him.
Anything to impress Liz??
Thanks for the new story,
Carolyn
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

sounds good
BQ1
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BQ1 »

I like this dark, confident and mysterious Max. Can't wait to read more.
dreamon
Addicted Roswellian

Post by dreamon »

This is great! Love the different portrayal of Max.
I have a few dreamer challenges in mind if you are looking for ideas so pm me!
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

TWO

Post by max and liz believer »

Hi, everyone!

I'm so excited and happy about the reception to this story! I'm having a great time writing it, so I hope that you'll stick around and read it :D

L-J-L 76, Roswelllostcause, Eve (begonia9508), saori_1902, Carolyn (keepsmiling7), Natalie36, BQ1, and dreamon

Thank you so much for giving this story a go and leaving feedback! I understand that you have some questions. Since this story will be told from Liz's perspective, there will be a lot of questions… :roll: Hopefully, they'll be answered in time :wink:

Maria knitted her eyebrows together and stared at me in wonderment. “What are you supposed to be, Liz?”

I smiled sarcastically and twirled quickly in front of Maria. “Isn’t it obvious?”

Maria put her head to the side as if the changed angle might enlighten her. “Are you even dressed up at all?”

I disappeared into her bathroom, answering her as I rummaged through my humble collection of hair accessories, “Of course I am.”

“Liz,” Maria said slowly. “You’re wearing jeans.”

“And a red top,” I added as I got a hold of the black hair clip I was searching for.

“It’s a Halloween party,” Maria said. “You have to dress up. It’s like part of the deal.”

I smiled at her. “What if I put on lipstick?”

Maria’s face fell. “Liz! You can’t be serious. You don’t have a costume?”

“Of course I do,” I answered calmly. “I’m wearing it.”

Maria’s mouth hung open as she in dazed shock slowly shook her head from side to side. I could just imagine the thoughts going through her head at the moment. How people would be talking about us just because I couldn’t dress up properly. This was Maria’s thing. Maria lived for costume parties. I hated to disappoint her, but looking over her furry leopard costume I didn’t regret saying no to that trip to the costume store with her earlier that week.

“You’re wearing your normal clothes!” Maria almost screeched.

I rolled my eyes. “Sheesh, Maria. Calm down.” I turned around and retrieve a 12 inches long thick wooden stick that had been pointed in one end, courtesy of Alex Whitman. I held the stick up in front of me, pulled my lips back and tried to look as intimidating as possible. “What about now?”

Maria just stared at me.

“Oooh, vampires beware,” I drawled out dramatically.

Maria kept staring at me. Her eyes had taken on a glazed empty look.

My hands flopped down in resignation. “Don’t you see it?”

“It’s a stick,” Maria said slowly.

“I’m a vampire slayer,” I said, waiting in anticipation for the coin to drop.

“You’re a vampire slayer,” Maria repeated slowly.

“Yeah,” I nodded excitedly. “You know, like Buffy. But I’m not Buffy. I’m Faith. You know, the other vampire slayer. Because Buffy’s blonde, Faith’s brunette. It just works better. Otherwise I would have to wear a wig and I’m, you know, going for the least amount of dress up possible here.”

Maria nodded slowly. “I can see that.”

I sighed, smiling at her. “Come on, Maria. Don’t you get it? I’m gonna go and slay the vampires. At least you should get it.”

Maria sighed deeply and sank down onto the bed. “Why can’t I have a normal friend?”

“You have a friend with super strength,” I said simply, shrugging as I put the home-made stake down on the table. “I think that’s pretty cool.”

Maria fell back on the bed, staring at the ceiling, mumbling something along the lines of that she should’ve forced me along to the costume store. I disappeared into the bathroom and picked up the dark red lipstick I had borrowed from my mom.

“Why not?” I shrugged and started to apply the blood color to my lips.

Maria’s excited exclamation caused me to drop the lipstick into the sink. “Ooh! I know!”

“Maria, geez,” I mumbled, locking at the trail of red the lipstick had left on the porcelain of the sink.

“You can go as a cat!” Maria said, jumping up behind me, excitement shining in her eyes. “It’s never too late to become a cat. You have black clothes, right? And eyeliner? We’ll just draw whiskers on you…and your hair is already dark which is perfect. You’ll be a black cat. And we can make a tail out of a scarf or something. It’s simple. But excellent.”

I met her eyes in the reflection of the mirror. “I’m going as Faith.”

She sighed loudly. “The vampire slayer?”

I nodded. “Yes.”

“No one will get it.”

“I don’t care. I’m going as Faith.”

“Everyone will bug you with questions about who you’re supposed to be. And you hate being bugged.”

“Can’t you just be happy that I’m going at all?”

She looked skywards and took a deep breath. “Yes. Yes. Of course I’m happy. But couldn’t you make an effort to make your first appearance at this – the biggest party of the year – something spectacular?”

I raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “By going as a cat?”

“That’s your own fault for not preparing better,” Maria remarked snidely.

I turned around and grabbed Maria by the shoulders and looked deeply into her eyes. “Maria.” She nodded, anticipation in her eyes. “I’m going. As. Faith. The. Vampire. Slayer.”

Maria threw her hands up in the air. “Ugh!”

I turned and faced the mirror, reaching for the black mascara. At least Faith was hot. If I was going to a party I had been tricked into going to, at least I would be hot.
One hour later we were making our way down the stairs to the ground floor, which happened to be the infamous CrashDown Café in Roswell. I grew up among alien dolls and alien-shaped straws, learning to become a stand-in waitress for my parents’ business by taking orders like Third Encounter Muffin and X-fries. As if growing up in Roswell wasn’t enough, I had to have the presumed alien crash of Area 51 shoved down my throat.

The swinging doors to the Staff Only area in the back swung open to reveal the tall smiling Alex Whitman. His smile was almost as stretched out as his arms as he exclaimed, “Ladies! You look beautiful.”

Taking a closer look at me, he blinked. “Damn. You’re hot!”

I smiled, struck a seductive pose as I pouted my lips sensually while my innocent voice asked, “You think?”

“Hell yeah.” He pulled me into his side and hugged me possessively. “You’re gonna be the most gorgeous vampire hunter there.”

I smiled and lifted a pointed eyebrow in Maria’s direction.

She rolled her eyes. “Oh come on. Of course Alex would know what you’re dressed up as. He’s the wood shop master and was probably the one that made that stupid stick for you.”

“Hey, that’s my work you’re degrading,” Alex protested.

“Seriously, Alex,” Maria said. “I think you got a bit falsely distracted.” Striking up a pose similar to the one I had just made, Maria battered her eyelashes and said, “Who’s the sexier one?”

Alex shook his head. “I feared this was gonna happen…”

We looked at him in anticipation.

“So I promised myself not to answer any questions like that.”

We both sighed in frustration and exclaimed in unison, “Oh come on, Alex!”

He put both arms up in front of him to ward off any protests. “No. The last time you got me to answer that question, you,” he pointed at Maria who tried her best to look oblivious, “drenched my toothbrush in wasabi.”

Maria snorted. “Ha. That was funny.”

I nodded. “Yeah, that was pretty funny.”

“So I’m not getting on anyone’s bad side here,” Alex announced.

“Come on, Fleximan,” I pouted.

He shook his head firmly. “Nah. End of discussion.”

“Speaking of Fleximan,” Maria mused, “Are you gonna make your move on the beautiful Isabel Evans tonight?”

“As per annual tradition,” Alex answered simply.

I smiled. Maybe going to the party wasn’t going to be so much of a mistake. “I can barely wait to see that.”

Maria smiled. “Aww, look Alex. She’s starting to look forward to the party.”

“Just to see Alex make a fool of himself,” I corrected.

Alex flung a hand across the left side of his chest, a dramatic expression of hurt scrunching up his face. “You’re one mean woman, Parker.”

I shrugged, adding causally. “It’s just… I’ve heard so much about these attempt of yours… Finally I get to see it in person.”

Alex rolled his eyes and changed the topic. “So, are we ready to rock’n’roll, ladies?”

I thought about my 'Moulin Rouge' DVD then. About curling up in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn and day-dreaming about the Prince Charming that didn’t exist.

Instead I was forced to go to a loud party overflowing with drunk, horny teenagers in weird outfits.

I sighed. “Yeah. Why not.”

Alex hugged me to his side, quipping excitedly. “That’s the spirit!”
Let me tell you about Max Evans’ house. Well, it’s not really a house per say. It’s more like a mansion. Or a palace. I guess, compared to my parents’ small apartment above the restaurant, it was a palace.

In this grand palace there’s a princess – let’s call her Isabel – and a prince – let’s call him Max. They think they own the world. They think they are oh so attractive and hot. Especially with those piercing honey colored eyes that tend to just rip into your very core-

“Liz!”

Judging from Maria’s less than amused expression, she had been trying to get my attention for quite some time.

“You’re already completely zoning out on me,” she complained and sighed frustratedly when my response was a sweet innocent smile.

Resuming my efforts of ignoring Maria, I looked up at the large building through the car window and felt a trickle of fear run down my spine. Was it too late to grab the car keys from Maria’s unsuspecting hand, push her out of the driver’s seat and take off at brow-raising speed to a destination far, far away from this place?

“Liz?” Maria was looking at me with bored impatience.

I sighed and pushed the car door open. “Let’s go.”

Alex was already outside of the car, making a beeline for the front door. If it wasn’t for the nervous insecurity immobilizing my cheek muscles, I probably would’ve smiled at the eagerness of that boy. But smiling was the last thing I felt like doing.

Stop being nervous!

My feet felt cemented to the ground as I looked up the long winding stoned path leading up to the pala- house. To my disappointment, I realized that my fears were completely legitimate. The place was overflowing with drunk teenagers (how could they already be drunk?) and the fact that they were wearing odd and - for the greater part - misfitting costumes didn’t make them look any less ridiculous.

I might just be the coolest person there.

I distractedly watched Alex high-five a lanky all-legs guy from his band, shaking my head at the lack of surprise I felt when the two guys completely missed each other’s upraised palms. Alex stumbled but was saved by his current sobriety. His friend was less lucky, falling quite literally on his face.

“Fuck, man, you okay?” Alex said, fumbling to get his long arms in order to help the friend back on his feet.

“I suggest we don’t hang out with Alex at the party,” Maria murmured in my ear, also having witnessed the failed greeting.

“Yeah,” I shrugged, “Whatever.”

There was a pressure over my chest which I was currently trying to ignore. Maybe I was having a heart attack. Maybe being among so many dumb and wasted adolescents would do that to you?

“Isn’t this great?” Maria all but squealed next to me while I forced back nausea.

“Fantastic,” I mumbled and tried to control the shaking of my hands.

“Oh, come on,” Maria sighed. “Don’t be such a party pooper.”

Party pooper? I wordlessly raised an eyebrow at my blonde friend, which earned me an eye roll in return.

“You came.”

And I almost ran over Max Evans. Again. Which would have been a lot more embarrassing this time, considering that there wouldn’t be a car between us to prevent our bodies from connecting.

A felt instant heat rush up my neck and face at the intrusive image of Max Evans’ body connecting with mine-

I blinked and forced myself to look at him. He was looking down at me, a secret smile at the corner of his mouth, his eyes burning on my face. I refrained from squinting, trying to haul in my breath. I was once again unnerved by the feeling that he had somehow been able to read my mind just then.

He proceeded to slowly rake his eyes down my body (Oh my God) and I tightened my hands into fists to prevent the trembles from winning the battle of wills raging inside of me. This must be what it felt like to be in front of a hungry lion, licking his lips in anticipation of devouring you.

Maria’s voice made me jump, but I couldn’t look away from him.

“Of course we did,” she replied next to me and I could feel her pointed look at my profile practically screaming, What the hell is wrong with you?!

I tried to gather the heart from my throat and raised my eyes to meet his gaze straight on as his eyes had completed their careful study of my shape and had returned to my face. Ignoring the shiver that raced through me at the contact between our eyes, I answered steadily, “This party is really surpassing my expectations.”

I was relieved to hear that the trembles hadn’t made it into my voice, that I could still raise my chin in a strong defiant motion, and hoped that I was able to send out an air of nonchalance that I wasn’t feeling in the slightest.

I could almost smell Maria’s peppermint flavored breath as she stared at me with her mouth hanging open. I was embarrassing her. Well, she couldn’t claim that I hadn’t warned her. She shouldn’t bring a reluctant guest to one of her favorite parties.

Something glinted in Max’s eyes, before his lips bent in a smirk. “I’m pleased to hear it.”

“Is there anything else to this party but getting intoxicated while in preposterous costumes and making a fool out of yourself?” I asked and let my eyes do what they had wanted from the second Max Evans had blocked my field of vision. Return the once-over.

I felt an uncomfortable chill run through me as I took in his black dress pants and the black cape hanging off his shoulders. I noticed the stiff erected collar behind his neck, the blood red silk material adorning the inside of that collar, the white shirt, the white vest and the white bow-tie. I let my eyes wander to his face and forced myself to see past his piercing eyes, noting the eyeliner which had turned his incandescent eyes darker.

I swallowed.

Dracula. Max Evans had dressed up as Dracula.

TBC…

——————————

A/N: "Lethal Whispers" will be updated later today :D
Last edited by max and liz believer on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa