What's Your Favorite Type of Fic to read?

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

PennyC
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by PennyC »

1. I like AU and Regular fics about evenly.
2. Mostly prefer CC with M/L being best by far.
3. Haven't really read many XO or Slash fics.
4. Don't have a particular preference but probably prefer fics PG-13 or over. Tends to make things more dramatic.
5. Have no idea what the first fic I read was. On Roswell Fanatics it was Behind Her Eyes by Behrsgirl77. Fantastic fic.
6. So far have just read fanfiction but am thinking about writing some...
7. Probably my favourite character is Liz. Her life is turned totally upside down by what happens. Max is definitely the hottest though!
8. Don't have a favourite quote from a fic. Yet.
9. I like anything by Behrsgirl77. They're always Dreamer fics (even if they don't start out that way), often funny and sexy, with a brilliant style of writing,. Most importantly there's always a happy ending.
10. I think that I've been reading fanfic on Roswell Fanatics for less that 2 weeks. I visit everyday, at least.
TaffyCat
Addicted Roswellian

Re: What's Your Favorite Type of Fic to read?

Post by TaffyCat »

I'd like to know:

1. Do you like AU or Regular fics?

I actually like both.

With CC you typically get to see a better explanation and storyline than what was on tv.

For AU, the idea of picking up the group and plopping them down in an entirely different setting is fascinating, so long as they stay true to whom they are originally meant to be. I've done it a couple of times and had a lot of fun with it.

2. Are you into CC or UC? Tell me your favorite couple.

CC- never could get into UC pairings at all. Favorite is Max/Liz followed by Michael/Maria. I actually find that Michael/Maria are more fun to write simply because you can get more outrageous with them.

3. Do you like crossovers and slash fics?

I've read maybe three crossovers and enjoyed them. I'd read more if I were a fan of BVS or AI or any number of other shows that typically are done. But I never got into those so my crossover reading is rather limited. Though I am enjoying KK's Still Yours. Highlander is one show that I loved and can totally see Alex coming back as an immortal. KK just needs to finish it! LOL!

Slash fics I tried a couple, but they're just not my cup of tea.

4. If you have a rating preference, what is it?

Probably PG-13 or a light R. I used to love all the nookie scenes in NC-17 but for the last few years they seemed rather mundane and just there for the sake of being there and adding nothing to the story at all. I am also turned off by the over use of the word f*ck in general but particularly during what are supposed to be lovemaking scenes. I find that hinting at it is enough and let the readers' imagination fill in the blanks is all that's needed to get the point across.

5. What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?

The first that I can recall reading was LindaCrazyforJason's Us Six Against The World over at the Crashdown. It was all CC, mainly M/L, and I'm not sure of the rating, probably PG-13 or R.

It was the first quality fic that gave a possible alternate route for the show to take. I found it fascinating.

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?

I read though not so much as I'd like to, no time. I also write though I'm plagued by that no time factor for the last several months. As for what I have written: Those Meddling Fates Trilogy, Can They Hear You Scream/Joshua's First Year, All For Her, Welcome To My World, Fortunate Son, The Gods Are Bored, and The Lost Prince. Most can be found on the complete or award sections here, except The Gods Are Bored and Joshua's First Year are languishing in the dead section waiting to be resurrected. And Wish You Were Here (part of TMF trilogy) is WIP on the CC board.

Or you can find them all here: Fics4Fans

7. Who's your favorite character and why?

I don't have just one answer for that. It depends on the context.

Overall - Max
Admire - Liz
For writing - Maria
For growth - Michael
For fun - Kyle
For sarcasm - Cal Langely

8. What's your favorite quote from a fic?

I guess since I can't remember any other than my own fics, I'd have to say none. From my own fics, the intro for All For Her: "How long have I been here? How much longer can I last? I could almost wish for it to all end if it weren’t for that little voice in the back of my head, her voice. It won’t let me go. It calls to me even from across the galaxy. I never could say no to her, so I hang on and endure the unendurable for as long as I can...all for her."
It was my inspiration for the entire story.

9. What's your favorite fic and why?

Star2000monkey's Another series. It's a Zan/Liz fic and eventually becomes a Max/Liz fic. There are no triangles in it (something I loathe), it tells a very plausable story and has the plot twists and turns that keep it interesting.

And I am loving WR's Of Cabbages and Kings. It's just so damn different. I'm anxious to see how he ends it.

And I absolutely love Sansucry's Eyes of Fear. The why is easy, it's a damn good story. I hope she has a chance to sit down and work on it some more.

10. How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?

How long? Good God, since it's inception back when it was on ezboard. How often varies depending on real life but I try at least once a week at a minimum, though at one point it had been more than a month.
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I usually read regular, however I prefer stories that are just slightly AU but still based on cannon. IE.. "Inside My Heart" or the "Epiphanies Trilogy"

I Like CC though I'll read UC the only couple that's non negotiable is Max/Liz

Nope

Well it used to be PG13 - NC17 but with new ratings I gues its Teen - Adult; I like the fic to have a real story but a little nookie thrown in where the storie calls for it, especially when "cementing" alien bonds is good.

5. What was the first fic you read, the author, where it was located, the rating, the couple, and what did you think of it?
A New Breed [R] Susan at Crashdown.com It was great.

6. Do you write fanfiction or just read it? If you write, please tell me some fics you've written so I can go read them; if you don't write, try it! No one's mean here, so you have nothing to worry about. It's fun and you can get writing pointers. How do you think I learned?
No I Don't wirte yet but I'm considering it.

Max, I really liked his S1 persona.

Max: "No, insane is what I’ll be if anything happens to Liz. She is the reason I’m on this planet. To love her. To have her love me back, and so help me, if she’s not here anymore, you won’t be either." From "The Experiment"

"Epiphanies Trilogy" Because It's Max/Liz with just the right amount of AU mixed in and the angst/reward ratio is good.

10. How long have you been reading fanfiction on this site and how often do you come?

About 6 months and 3 or 4 times a week.
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Post by girl afraid »

Both, but with AU, I prefer there to be aliens.

CC!!! Favourite couple is most definitely Michael and Maria.

Kyle and Max make an awesomely funny couple but generally no, not in this fandom anyway.

Haha I won't lie, I'm a big NC17/Mature fan. Doc Paul, Belit, Fehrbaby and Mnemosyne write amazing sex scenes in their fics that I enjoy re-reading over and over again.

The first fic I can think of is probably a 285 South Fairytale by Belit, it was on her site belit.net. It was an M&M fic, and it was wonderful.

Sort of, I'm trying to finish one right now - it's a short angst piece witrh Michael.

Michael. Maria would be a close second.

Don't have one particular favourite

Kateafur - Empire of Dust, Inspired, Elsewhere
Donna - Souls Divided
Katjen - Riding the Waves of Doubt, Cat And Mouse
DocPaul - The Day We Never Kissed, Michael Guerin - World's Greatest Alien Investigator, Those Left Behind, Out of Darkness
Joanne - Solitude
Mnemosyne - Whisper Scream, 3600 Seconds
Fehrbaby - Road Trip, The Truths About Dating and Mating
KLyn - Masques
Lavender - Satisfied
Belit - Tempestuous, Timeless, 285 South Fairytale, Life's Weird
Lux - One For The Alien
That Maria Girl - Deseo
Midwest Max - Reversal Of Fortunes

8 months, and I come on almost every day.
it's better to rise than fade away.
Luvya
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Luvya »

I started off liking AU but now I prefer Regular just because I eased into it I guess.

It really depends on if the stories well written for me to deside on UC or CC. I prefer CC though but I do like some Mi/L fics. My favorite couple would have to be A/I

I love crossovers but not so much Slash fics. Anyone can write what they want I just don't really like slash fics all that much

Probably PG to R (what ever that may now be)

I think it may have been Secret Lives by Jessi and Lori and that was on fanfiction.net- where all my obsessions start. It was a crossover fic, rating was T, M/L was the couple and I absloutly ADORED it.

I've been writing a couple of fanfics but I just sometimes get sidetracked. Most of mine are linked through my signature. I have one called Yesterday When the War Began which is nearly finished and I will follow which I haven't really started and 2 that I'm starting up soon.

My favorite character would have to be Alex because he's... Alex so norally I read CC fics before CYN or after if they manage to include Alex in a suprising way.

Michael sighed, "No, I see your point. Max has enough to worry about without trying to protect you."

"Thank you." Liz said before she started to walk down the hallway.

"That's why I'm gonna do it."

"You're WHAT?" Liz exclaimed loudly

-Secret Lives Chapter three by Jessi and Lori

I have two that's Kath7's Homecoming fic which is a excellent fic and the one above.

I joined in 2003 so 2 years (although it feels longer...) and I think about three maybe four times a day.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

I love AU, but I do read canon fics. Although, normally I stay away from the ones after the second season, since, to me, the character's personalities were just all wrong from that point on.

2. Are you into CC or UC?Tell me your favorite couple.

Not trying to offend anyone, this is my personal opinion, but I dislike UC. I just don't see the point. Max and Liz all the way!

Never read either, but I might give crossover a try. Never slash.

Don't care really.

Hm, the first fic I read... the Home series by EmilyluvsRoswell. All CC, and I think it was (this was before the change in ratings) PG-13 to R. Wonderful fic, started it all for me. She has her own site, but it can be located from here on her Author's page.

I do write fanfic, and I like to think my stories don't suck too bad. :) If you want to read, click the link under my sig. :D

Max. Dunno, I just love him.

Hmm, don't really have one. At least, I can't think of any at the moment.

Oof, hard one. I'd have to say anything with conventional couples by Kath7, EmilyLuvsRoswell, or Applebylicious.

Reading it since December, come to the site every day. :D
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrlyliz »

I like both but prefer AU because authors have more freedom.
CC, although I can tolerate UC as long as the story ends CC. Max and Liz (They're the dream team).
No, although I've read two stories by one of my favorite authors that had a little slash in the beginning but it quickly changed to CC.
Doesn't matter.
Us Six Against the World by Linda. It was located at the Crashdown. It was adult, cc and I loved it.
Yes, I try to write. I have three located on the AU forum. They're called Coming Clean, One West Roswell & Invitation to Trouble.
If we're talking about the show, Liz. I really loved her strength and selflessness. She put the happiness of others before her own. If we're talking about fan fiction, then it depends on the story.
This quote is taken from Allie1031's What's So Great About Normal? The scene involves Liz and Sean Deluca. It was so hilarious.

Sean makes a running jump into the darkness and slams into something big and hard to knock the wind out of himself. I double up as he falls on his ass.

"Holy rusted metal Batman!" I giggle. "I think you've found the car."

"Jumping Jahousafras, it seems I have Boy Wonder. Good work, leading us right to it," Sean laughs when he regains his breath.

Too many but just off hand...
Our Affair by Nikki - I loved watching Max and Liz grow up together.
What's So Great About Normal by Allie1031 - This story was just so funny.
The Us Six Against the World trilogy by Linda - The whole trilogy captivated me.
Anything by Dee or Applebylicious - They're just really good authors and I'm never disappointed reading anything by them.
On this site, almost a year and I come here daily.
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space
pooklette
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pooklette »

I generally prefer cannon fics but I do enjoy the AU fics that have aliens sometimes too. As long as it's not too far removed from the show then I'm game.

I'm mostly into CC and my favorite couple is M/M. I prefer M/M and M/L pairings in fics. I'm pretty flexible on Isabel and Kyle's pairings though. If Alex is alive, I prefer to see Isabel with him but Jesse's not so bad either.

I love crossovers with Buffy, Angel, Harry Potter or X-Men. I don't read slash fics at all.

I don't really have a preference I guess. If I start reading an adult fic and it becomes obvious it is nothing but smut, scene after scene, then I will quit reading though.

I don't remember the first fic I read but I do know it was over at at Belit's site. The stories over there were mainly M/M I think and I inhaled them all within about a week.

I strictly read fanfiction until I realized I was reading the fics faster than the authors could type them out. Out of sheer withdrawl this summer, I started writing my own. It is called "The Power of Love" and can be found here.

Oooh...that's tough. I'd say it's a tie for me between Maria and Alex. I love Maria's spunkiness and Alex's loyalty.

I can't think of one off hand.

Hmmm...I don't have just one fic that stands out as my very favorite. I absolutely love novel length fics written by majiklmoon and Island Breeze. They have both have a way of squeeking out a happy ending for all of the charactors in a very believeable manner. They give you drama, angst, romance, humor and fluff all in one fic or series and I love that.

I have been reading fanfiction here for about a year or so and I come here everyday looking for updates and exciting new fics.
Bubblegal
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my own little head where Roswell is still on and Max and Liz were never apart.

Post by Bubblegal »

I like both CC and AU, the CC means you are going to see how the charaters grow and they are all together. With AU, you see the Charaters in different situations wether they are aliens or human beings or even other kinds. It's nice to see a difference to the TV show.

I love CC but i also adore UC only if it's not Max and Liz. I can't stand them being with other people. The other cast, i can pair up with others no problems and it nice to see them with other people.
Max and Liz is my fave couple.

Haven't really read much, the one i have read of Crossover was Secret Lives. Don't really read slash fics, can't really stomach them.

I'm not really bothered about the ratings, although i do like smut stories, i like it when there is a plot and such, any rating is okay to me.

God, the first fic i read must have been A New Breed. It was located over at the crashdown and it was written by Susan. The rating was pretty much PG rated then went up for a couple of chapters. I thought it was brilliant, it set after Destiny and the aliens and Kyle and Liz are kidnapped.

At first i just read fanfiction then after second season i started writing it myself. I have written three one shots and at the moment four chaptered stories.
At the moment, i'm writing Secrets Among Friends and Little Sister.

Oh, i think it is a tie between all of them, i admire them all for different reasons but the main ones have to be Liz - for her science and loyatly toward the aliens and Max for his protectiveness toward Liz and his family.

It has to be, there's nothing interesting about Roswell:

“Max, I don’t think your girlfriend is normal.” - Michael. That just cracked me up. There are more fave quotes from different fics but i can't remember them all.

Less than a year and i come on everyday depending on how busy i am.
Dani's fics

"I have an irrational fear of Pingu the Penguin, it's not the plasticine that scares me, its the beak that's the abomination." Me to my friend.

'Found the Cosmos Maiden, she's a few stars short of a galaxy.' Rush Sykes - The Last Remnant
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Re: What's Your Favorite Type of Fic to read?

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

roswells_angel285 wrote:Hey, guys. Just thought I'd come and ask a question I need answered for a paper I'm doing. Don't worry; if you don't want quoted, all you have to say is "do not quote" or "DNQ". I'll be sure not to put you in the paper, but I'd like to hear what you have to say anyway. *grin*
I'd like to know:

I like both, with the proviso the the AU fics be "with aliens". The otherworldy nature of the podsters (hence the increased isolation over and above ordinary teen issues) was a part of the show's charm for me. Hence I look for it in the fic I read. Note: There have been a few, a very few, "AU without aliens" that I've read and liked, but they were a long time ago, and I can count them on one hand.

I can't think of another fandom that has such a sharply divided CC/UC barrier in it's fic. It's really odd because I've read some good fic in other fandoms that would be qualified as UC for those fandoms...if they used such designations...and I've enjoyed it. But in Roswell fandom I simply can't make myself read UC. I suppose it's because I regard the show as having been fundamentally "damaged" by those that controlled it. I want to see that damage repaired. CC fic fulfills that need for me better than UC fic which seems to simply sidestep the damage done to the characters and their relationships, as opposed to fixing them. As long as the story is CC, they're *all* my favorite couples.

Added in Edit: I should qualify my answer to #2. I'm *not* without certain blind spots. I so despised season three that I tend to disregard most of it for canon purposes, including Jesse. For the purposes of categorizing fic on Fanatics, Jesse and Isabel are CC, but I will not read a J/I story. To me that story line was as unappealing as any other UC story. In point of fact of my personal reading habits, I regard Kyle and Tess, who were never together in canon as being more "CC" than Jesse and Isabel, who were.

Crossovers yes. They're no better or worse than any other fic in the hands of a good author. Slash fic no. Slash is UC at it's most fundamental. See my objections above.

Nope, I can read anything. But if you put sex into a story it has to serve a purpose. Smut for it's own sake gets boring after then first chapter.

You might want to define this a bit more. First fic anywhere? Or first fic in Roswell fandom?

The only fic I've got in Rosfandom is "Still Yours". You can find it on the crossover board.

I love them all...even Tess, as long as she's with Kyle. But if you have to nail me down to one...it's Alex. Because I can empathize. I was the quintessential nerd in high school, a centruy ago or so. ;-)

Oy vey, I can't answer this one without hurting the feelings of a great many people I regard as friends. There are about a thousand of them that deserve to be recognized equally..

See my answer to number 8.

Years...and just about every other week as a reader...to give the authors time to post new material. As an admin I make a skimming check every day....even if I'm not reading

Laters,
Rick
Last edited by Kzinti_Killer on Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins